Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

IMG 2210 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

It’s the first day of Fall and I know exactly what you need.

A Snuggie, so you and your family can snug on the couch watching all your new favourite Fall shows.

snuggie family thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

That poor dog.

Why do I get the feeling that you are all sitting at your computer right now with one on?

Don’t worry, it’s our little secret.

snuggie man thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Just please don’t tell me you’re naked under that thing.

You might also need a new O.P.I. nail polish.

O.P.I. William Tell Them About OPI thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Perhaps, a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie.

20100926IMG 3430 thumb thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

and Soup.

Definitely soup.

IMG 2196 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Before this roasted tomato soup happened, soup and I were not on speaking terms.

A couple week’s ago, I made a coconut milk, sweet potato, and cinnamon soup and I just couldn’t get the flavour exactly how I wanted it. It was yuk. And I made myself finish it. Now I don’t want to look at another sweet potato again.

IMG 1496 2 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

As I thought about what went wrong with the sweet potato soup, I realized it needed a kick of heat. The ingredients were all sweet (cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet potato, coconut milk, etc) and the flavour lacked depth and contrast. I think the soup would have been wonderful with a kick of Indian spices so I will have to try that next time.

Instead of making another sweet potato soup, I decided to take this lesson and apply it to a roasted tomato and garlic soup. It’s really, really hard to go wrong with roasted tomatoes, as I discovered with the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto, so I was pretty confident it would be successful.

I grabbed 5 pounds of beautiful roma tomatoes.

IMG 2151 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I made extra so I could make another batch of pesto with the leftovers! I encourage you to do the same because I have a delicious pizza recipe coming up using the pesto.

I prepped the tomatoes, sweet onion, and garlic for roasting.

IMG 2154 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2175 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2174 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

And everything got roasted at once!

IMG 2182 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

The oven was on for about 1 hour and 25 minutes total at 375-400F, with the tomatoes taking the longest and the onions taking the least amount of time.

IMG 2180 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2177 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I added some of the roasted vegetables (along with 2 tbsp of roasted garlic), vegetable broth, a can of light coconut milk, S & P, and garam masala (<—the heat!)

IMG 2184 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2190 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I knew that this soup was going to be a game changer because the broth was mind blowing.

I blended it (only 3 seconds!) to leave it chunky. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one.

IMG 2194 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

There is so much depth of flavour in this soup it made my head spin! It didn’t need any second trials, no second guessing…it just worked.

IMG 2205 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Print this recipe!

This tomato soup is anything but traditional, boring, or bland and it’s definitely one of the best homemade soups I have made to date. The light coconut milk is a great way to add a luxurious creaminess, pairing well with the heat from the garam masala and adding a nice contrast to the rustic quality of the roasted vegetables. I will make this again and again!

Yield: 6 cups

Roasting vegetables:

• 5 pounds of roma tomatoes, washed & sliced in half
  • 1 large sweet onion, peeled & sliced
  • 2-3 large garlic bulbs, prepared for roasting
  • extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, & pepper, for vegetables

Soup:

• 3 cups roasted tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh
  • all of the roasted sweet onion
  • 1 can light coconut milk (reserve 2-3 tbsp for garnish)
  • 3 cups vegetable broth (I used low-sodium)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tsp garam masala (add slowly, to taste)
  • 1 tsp salt or to taste (you may have to reduce amt. if you used full-sodium broth)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • for garnish: garlic croutons, coconut milk, pesto, herbs, garam masala, pepper, etc.

1. Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 baking sheets with tin foil (note that parchment paper will burn). Grab a small casserole dish to place the garlic in. For how to prepare the garlic, see this tutorial. Lightly drizzle on EVOO onto onions and season onions and tomatoes with S & P. Roast for about 30 minutes and then check on the vegetables. You might have to remove the onions early as they cook the quickest. When the onions are golden and lightly blackened on the edge, you can remove them. Continue roasting the garlic for about 60 minutes or so (check it after 4 5mins), and the tomatoes for about 1 hour and 20 mins. Your oven times will vary though, so keep an eye on them!

2. Add 3 cups roasted tomatoes, 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh, and all the onion into a large pot. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, and broth and stir well.

3. Stir in the seasonings and spices to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

4. Carefully transfer into a blender, processor, or use an immersion blender. Pulse for just a few seconds until chunky. You can also make it smooth, but I liked the texture. Serve immediately and garnish with reserved coconut milk, a sprinkle of garam masala, croutons/bread, and fresh black pepper.

IMG 2210 2 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

If you think that forgoing animal products means that you will never get to have a cream-based soup…think again! This soup was rich & creamy thanks to the coconut milk, but not weighed-down or heavy in any way.

It is super filling, but light at the same time.

How is that even possible?

I told you, your head will spin.

IMG 2213 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

You can use the leftover roasted tomato and garlic to make the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto for a pizza recipe I have coming up…it’s made with a crispy buckwheat and almond meal flatbread crust. Coming up!

IMG 2245 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Oh and my new Fall-themed header is coming at ya, today or tomorrow.

Have a great start to your weekend!

Leah @ Why Deprive? September 23, 2011

This looks amazing! I was just thinking yesterday that I’ve never tried making tomato soup before. I’m definitely making this on the weekend.

Geosomin September 23, 2011

mmm…I was just thinking I needed some fall coup for my lunches next week. Score :)

Andrea September 23, 2011

ZOMG! Your dog is super beautiful! Looks like a king charles spaniel with ruby colouring! Am I right?
Your soup sounds FANTASTIC too! I cant wait to try it, LOVE me my garlic!

Jenny @ Simply Be...me September 23, 2011

yum! sounds perfect for the cool evenings that are approaching fast. As for the failed sweet potato soup, I discovered after a few tries that I really don’t like cinnamon added to anything savory, it always makes food taste ‘off’ to me. Even regular roasted sweet potatoes, if they have cinnamon on them I won’t be eating them :)

Amber K September 23, 2011

You have a way of making even food I don’t like look totally inviting. That looks like the epitome of comfort food! And I totally have a cheap Snuggie on, it’s called a bathrobe that’s turned backwards ;)

Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission September 23, 2011

The dog snuggie makes me giggle :D He looks like jabba the hut. Poor thing!
And this post is like a fallgasm. That soup looks so delicious and comforting, yet so chic.

Mama Pea September 23, 2011

So you know I mostly come up with my own recipes. But I just bookmarked this one. Yum.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 23, 2011

This is so unique – looks amazing!

Rhona September 23, 2011

Looks really delicious and…I am not a lover of soup. I will have to try this though just because the flavors look complex and smokey.

Jessica@Glaze September 23, 2011

I am making this tonight if the store near me has coconut milk.

Heather @ The Wisch List September 23, 2011

Angela, this looks delish! Thanks for sharing.

Sush September 23, 2011

This soup looks wonderful! And yes, I am the proud owner of a leapord print snuggie =)

jenna September 23, 2011

ooo lala this looks amazing Angela!! so good!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat September 23, 2011

When you bill it as the best homemade soup you have ever made, well! I can’t come to own a snuggie, but I do have a “onesy” – you know, with the arms, legs, feet and trap door! It’s now quite cold enough for that, but I am at my desk wrapped in a blanket, now dreaming of soup instead of focusing on work. Thanks!

Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather September 23, 2011

This look like major comfort food!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 23, 2011

Coconut milk is such a cool addition! I would have never though to use that. Something about the fall scream tomato and roasted garlic. Maybe the cozy Italian-like smell? :)

Greta September 23, 2011

I don’t even like soup, and yet this looks completely wonderful. Also, I was wondering – did I miss something, or are you slowly turning gluten-free? You’ve been doing a lot of that (which I love, since I’m also doing it!), but I haven’t seen you writing about it. So, just curious. <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

Hey Greta, I will be writing about this in my pizza recipe post.

jackie hatch! September 23, 2011

love your pizzas cant wait!

Elisa September 23, 2011

How does this soup freeze?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

Im sorry, but Im not sure.

MELISSA September 23, 2011

I am so making this. Like I wish I was in my kitchen right now, but I’m at work, stuck in front of my computer screen, drooling at your soup!!

laura September 23, 2011

I’ve been loving soups lately, esp. ones with coconut milk! So, ready for fall. & I am in need of a new OPI nailpolish. :)

Cherie September 23, 2011

Sounds delicious!
On a snuggie note, my son really wanted one, a few years ago, or so he thought. When it became clear that a snuggie was actually just a blanket with arms and that you couldn’t run around while wearing, some of the appeal was gone. So, we made him a giant fleece T-shirt style snuggie! Problem solved ;-).

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

haha that’s cute

Kirsty September 23, 2011

I have all the ingredients in…. I must make this…looks Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious xx

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 23, 2011

I love the idea of using coconut in a tomato soup…yum!

gia September 23, 2011

Omg! Agree with above comment, and I might be tempted to add lentils too. The roasting part is what realllllly appeals to me. I love the looks of this.

Alex September 23, 2011

Looks Delicious! How many pounds of tomatoes are needed for 3 cups of roasted tomatoes?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

I’m not sure as I roasted 5 pounds and had leftovers…I *think* I had about 2 cups roasted tomatoes leftover. So I would say you need 3 pounds for 3 cups?

Katie September 23, 2011

This sounds delicious–I love the thought of a chunky soup with roasted tomato, garlic, and onions. But I have a question—can you taste the coconut in the coconut milk? I really dislike the flavor of coconut, though I’ve never tried coconut milk and I don’t know how strongly the flavor comes through when cooked in soup.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

The taste of the coconut is there, but quite mild. The roasted veggies and garam masala are really the stars.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 23, 2011

Wow that soup looks awesome! And know I know what all that roasted garlic was for!

Love it when recipes require no second trials, no second guessing…just work the first time around.

the roasted veggies look perfect and I’ve made some rice and casseroles with coconut milk,but not yet soup. Must try!

Kelsey September 23, 2011

I’m so glad it’s fall. I know I can eat soup any time of the year, but in the fall it just feels so much better!

sarah September 23, 2011

Mmmmm, I love Susan’s split pea/sweet potato soup at fatfreevegan. It has those warm indian spices. This looks equally yummy! Will have to try this soon!

Erin September 23, 2011

Yum – this looks amazing! I have been sick with a nasty cold/flu the past 2 1/2 weeks and needed a spicy fall soup to make me feel better. Like you, I hit it on the 1st try and it was fantastic. Basically it was quinoa, red lentils, onion, carrot, celery, lots of garlic & fresh ginger, curry powder, coconut milk, and finished with chopped tomatoes & cilantro. OMG it was perfect! Can’t wait to try your version :)

Tikva September 23, 2011

I am making it now as we speak. I’ve started the boil so it’s almost finished. It’s SOOOOO good. And I’ve never roasted all of these veggies. Learn something new :c)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

enjoy!

booturtle September 23, 2011

This sounds amazing. I found it through Pinterest and cannot wait to try it. Thanks for sharing. And I look forward to poking around your blog a little more this weekend.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco September 23, 2011

Mmmmmmmm. Looks incredible! Thank you for leaving such a kind comment on my blog! You rock! ;)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 23, 2011

That’s a bummer your sweet potato soup didn’t work out – it sounds like it could have been really good! But at least this one was successful. I love coconut milk based soups!

Rachel September 23, 2011

This is amazing and even though I’m heading into spring I will definitely make this soon. I have a delicious sweet potato and pumpkin recipe for soup that has a just the kick I think you are looking for : http://mthanded.blogspot.com/2009/03/curry-pumpkin-soup-and-home-made-bread.html . It’s an all time favourite abound here. Thanks for the recipe!

Jenn September 23, 2011

I made this tonight. WOW! It was delicious.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it Jenn!

Magen September 23, 2011

JUST what I needed on a rainy Boston Friday night. Delicious. Thanks Angela!

Jenna September 23, 2011

That is quite possibly one of the most delicious looking soups that I have seen at all recently. Looks so warm and yummy.

Rhonda September 23, 2011

Your soup looked so good I had to stop on the way home for more tomatoes… first the garlic smelled amazing, then the soup!! I have a new favourite soup, thanks for the recipe Angela – I am now patiently waiting for your cookbook :)

Page 2 of 6«12345»...Last »