Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

IMG 2210 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

It’s the first day of Fall and I know exactly what you need.

A Snuggie, so you and your family can snug on the couch watching all your new favourite Fall shows.

snuggie family thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

That poor dog.

Why do I get the feeling that you are all sitting at your computer right now with one on?

Don’t worry, it’s our little secret.

snuggie man thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Just please don’t tell me you’re naked under that thing.

You might also need a new O.P.I. nail polish.

O.P.I. William Tell Them About OPI thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Perhaps, a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie.

20100926IMG 3430 thumb thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

and Soup.

Definitely soup.

IMG 2196 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Before this roasted tomato soup happened, soup and I were not on speaking terms.

A couple week’s ago, I made a coconut milk, sweet potato, and cinnamon soup and I just couldn’t get the flavour exactly how I wanted it. It was yuk. And I made myself finish it. Now I don’t want to look at another sweet potato again.

IMG 1496 2 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

As I thought about what went wrong with the sweet potato soup, I realized it needed a kick of heat. The ingredients were all sweet (cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet potato, coconut milk, etc) and the flavour lacked depth and contrast. I think the soup would have been wonderful with a kick of Indian spices so I will have to try that next time.

Instead of making another sweet potato soup, I decided to take this lesson and apply it to a roasted tomato and garlic soup. It’s really, really hard to go wrong with roasted tomatoes, as I discovered with the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto, so I was pretty confident it would be successful.

I grabbed 5 pounds of beautiful roma tomatoes.

IMG 2151 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I made extra so I could make another batch of pesto with the leftovers! I encourage you to do the same because I have a delicious pizza recipe coming up using the pesto.

I prepped the tomatoes, sweet onion, and garlic for roasting.

IMG 2154 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2175 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2174 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

And everything got roasted at once!

IMG 2182 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

The oven was on for about 1 hour and 25 minutes total at 375-400F, with the tomatoes taking the longest and the onions taking the least amount of time.

IMG 2180 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2177 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I added some of the roasted vegetables (along with 2 tbsp of roasted garlic), vegetable broth, a can of light coconut milk, S & P, and garam masala (<—the heat!)

IMG 2184 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup IMG 2190 thumb1   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

I knew that this soup was going to be a game changer because the broth was mind blowing.

I blended it (only 3 seconds!) to leave it chunky. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one.

IMG 2194 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

There is so much depth of flavour in this soup it made my head spin! It didn’t need any second trials, no second guessing…it just worked.

IMG 2205 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Print this recipe!

This tomato soup is anything but traditional, boring, or bland and it’s definitely one of the best homemade soups I have made to date. The light coconut milk is a great way to add a luxurious creaminess, pairing well with the heat from the garam masala and adding a nice contrast to the rustic quality of the roasted vegetables. I will make this again and again!

Yield: 6 cups

Roasting vegetables:

• 5 pounds of roma tomatoes, washed & sliced in half
  • 1 large sweet onion, peeled & sliced
  • 2-3 large garlic bulbs, prepared for roasting
  • extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, & pepper, for vegetables

Soup:

• 3 cups roasted tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh
  • all of the roasted sweet onion
  • 1 can light coconut milk (reserve 2-3 tbsp for garnish)
  • 3 cups vegetable broth (I used low-sodium)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tsp garam masala (add slowly, to taste)
  • 1 tsp salt or to taste (you may have to reduce amt. if you used full-sodium broth)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • for garnish: garlic croutons, coconut milk, pesto, herbs, garam masala, pepper, etc.

1. Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 baking sheets with tin foil (note that parchment paper will burn). Grab a small casserole dish to place the garlic in. For how to prepare the garlic, see this tutorial. Lightly drizzle on EVOO onto onions and season onions and tomatoes with S & P. Roast for about 30 minutes and then check on the vegetables. You might have to remove the onions early as they cook the quickest. When the onions are golden and lightly blackened on the edge, you can remove them. Continue roasting the garlic for about 60 minutes or so (check it after 4 5mins), and the tomatoes for about 1 hour and 20 mins. Your oven times will vary though, so keep an eye on them!

2. Add 3 cups roasted tomatoes, 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh, and all the onion into a large pot. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, and broth and stir well.

3. Stir in the seasonings and spices to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

4. Carefully transfer into a blender, processor, or use an immersion blender. Pulse for just a few seconds until chunky. You can also make it smooth, but I liked the texture. Serve immediately and garnish with reserved coconut milk, a sprinkle of garam masala, croutons/bread, and fresh black pepper.

IMG 2210 2 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

If you think that forgoing animal products means that you will never get to have a cream-based soup…think again! This soup was rich & creamy thanks to the coconut milk, but not weighed-down or heavy in any way.

It is super filling, but light at the same time.

How is that even possible?

I told you, your head will spin.

IMG 2213 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

You can use the leftover roasted tomato and garlic to make the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto for a pizza recipe I have coming up…it’s made with a crispy buckwheat and almond meal flatbread crust. Coming up!

IMG 2245 thumb   Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Oh and my new Fall-themed header is coming at ya, today or tomorrow.

Have a great start to your weekend!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 23, 2011

This has my name ALL over it :D

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 23, 2011

This soup looks EPIC. So perfect for fall!
btw- I kinda want a snuggie. I won’t lie.

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove September 23, 2011

This looks so perfect for the Fall, although I’m not entirely sold on the coconut milk. Maybe soy milk?? Do you think that would work instead?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

I do think the coconut milk is a main ingredient, but it might be ok with another non-dairy milk too.
In case you are wondering, the coconut flavour is very subtle in this soup.

Natalie Anne Lanoville July 5, 2014

Soymilk or almond milk would be fine I think, but honestly coconut milk is a natural pairing with tomato. I’m trying the recipe today (adding a wee bit of fresh ginger), can’t wait!

Andrea September 23, 2011

I’ve never been crazy about tomato soup, but the flavors in this look realllly good! I just may try it since I still have an over-abundace of tomatoes :)

And FYI, I’m not sure if you know this, but the link to the pesto takes you to a pdf of the pizza recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

opps, fixed it. Thanks :)

Heidi Oran September 23, 2011

This look so yum, can’t wait to try it. Had something similar at a restaurant recently but I’m guessing this will be 10x better!

Heather (heathers dish) September 23, 2011

The coconut is such an interesting addition but it sounds great! Definitely coming up on soup weather here too :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 23, 2011

holy sexy soup and snuggie, batman!!! I want that in meh belleh. Also, have you seen OPI espresso? I pinned it. I love it so much it hurts my heart.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

No but I’ll have to check it out!

Lizzie September 23, 2011

Angela – why must you continue to taunt me at my desk with these delicious recipes that I can’t enjoy right now? :) I did make that pesto and it was SO good. I mixed it in with some whole wheat pasta for a dinner last weekend and then used it for a sandwich this week. Plus they have a lot of overripe toms at the farmers markets right now, that would otherwise go to waste. This soup looks SO good and it seems like the weather is going to be in favour of soup this weekend, so a batch might be in my future! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

Glad you enjoyed the pesto :) I’ve made 4 batches so far heh.

Bev Weidner September 23, 2011

UH, I’m about to go scuba diving in that soup.

Seriously, I am.

robyn September 23, 2011

Those soup pictures look unbelievably deiicious! Wow,,,coconut ANYthing and it’s all good. I’ve got roma tomatoes on sale here and am going to buy a bunch to roast then try freezing for the winter for your AWEsome pesto recipe<3

Andrea @ Vegvacious September 23, 2011

Anything that includes roasted garlic is a winner in my book! This looks delish – I don’t use coconut milk very often so it will be good to try it out in a soup recipe!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 23, 2011

I’ve always wanted a snuggie! :)

That soup looks amazing!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 23, 2011

Snuggies (or Slankets as I call them) should be burned! Must be because I’m warm-blooded… ;)

I’m shocked your sweet potato soup didn’t turn out! I need to dig out this recipe I have for a sweet potato rice curry soup and post it on my blog this week…it’s a lovely, gorgeous thing and perfect for this weather. I might make it with quinoa instead of rice this time.

LOL @ Bev scuba diving in the soup! Use a crouton as a flotation device! :)

Ashley September 23, 2011

I need (want?) to make this soup ASAP, but do not have Garam Masala. Do you have any suggestions on what indian spices to use as a replacement? Your roasted red pepper hummus recipe and roasted tomato basil pesto are my utlimate favourites. I have a feeling this one is going to be added to that list..

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 23, 2011

Sounds lovely Ange!!! I could totally use some soup today with this dreary rain we’ve got. And maybe a snuggie…no wait… not quite. ;) Happy Friday!

Bre September 23, 2011

Angela,

I am making this soup ASAP this weekend, it looks like exactly what I want to eat right now! Also, I’m wondering where you got your smoothie glass with the built in straw? I’ve seen these on lots of blogs (many times on yours) and I want to get my hands on one. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

The glass straw is from Glass D’harma :)

kristin September 23, 2011

This looks amazing!
I’ve been following your blog for a couple of years now and made so many of your delicious dishes (which my husband has LOVED). I’ve noticed you’ve started doing a lot more gluten-free recipes. This is very convenient for me as I’ve recently (2 weeks ago) found out that I have a gluten intolerance. I was just curious as to the reason you were incorporating more gluten-free recipes.
Happy Friday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

Hey Kristin, I will be talking about the reasoning for this in my pizza recipe post.

Cat September 23, 2011

This soup looks amazing! I can’t wait to make it!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 23, 2011

WOW! Roasted tomato and garlic sounds like an amazing combo!! With some crusty bread, I’d be happy all day long. Yum!! :)

Kristi September 23, 2011

Seriously, you always have the perfect recipe at the right time!! I have a TON of beautiful fresh tomatoes to use, and I was planning to make another batch of the pesto (which we adored) but I’m afraid that my neighbor’s gigantic basil plant (which has been keeping me supplied) most likely froze last night. I am going to make this tomorrow!

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab September 23, 2011

that looks really good! I’m usually not a big fan of coconut in non-dessert foods, but I might give this a try, I love the combination of roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic!

Marcy September 23, 2011

I just so happen to have the leftover tomatoes from my double batch of roasted tomato pesto in the fridge…and a half a tin of coconut milk. I think this calls for a little half batch of soup!

Tonya September 23, 2011

Yummy, delicous, and inspriing post! You’ve accomplished something that has never happened before–you’ve gotten me excited about the cooler weather :-) Soup it is! Thanks!

Angela September 23, 2011

This is the sweet potato soup I make:

I love it. Totally worth having to clean the food processor after all the grating!

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh September 23, 2011

OH my gosh!! That soup is calling my name!!! I will eat it in my snuggie!! haha jk I don’t own one…But seriously, that seems like the most warm and comforting soup!

Moni'sMeals September 23, 2011

I can assure you Ang, that I will be trying this soup! What a combo. I will let you know….

Love this Fall post, my favorite time too. :)

I look forward to your Fall Background next
and (love the snuggie pic!!)

Blythe September 23, 2011

This soup looks amazing…can’t wait to make it!!!! Omg…the dog looks hilarious…I have one of those snuggie thingies for my dog and she made the same face when we tried it on her!!

Willie Costello September 23, 2011

Can’t wait to try this!

And as it turns out, I’m planning on using your roasted tomato pesto for a pizza this weekend too! I’m excited to see how ours will compare!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race September 23, 2011

I love that polish! I’m slightly obsessed with painting my nails :D

leslie September 23, 2011

angela, i am so excited about this recipe! what a perfect way to celebrate the end of tomato season. i can’t wait to make it!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 23, 2011

Oh goodness, this is making me drool. I had a soup in mind for next week since it’s supposed to be pretty dreary and rainy, but I might make this one instead!

Jessica September 23, 2011

I know! Poor dog in the Snuggie! I am going to make this soup this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 23, 2011

I love roasted tomatoes and with the weather getting cooler I am definitely on a soup mission this weekend.

For the record, I have a Snuggie and I love it. And if I had a dog I’d get one for him too!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 23, 2011

Yum! I have yet to try a “roasted” theme soup this fall! Excellent idea! Haha sometimes I wish I had a snuggie, then I see picutures like this I know I am better off with a sweater :)

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy September 23, 2011

This looks fabulous! I want a bowl of that soup right now!! Fall is my very favorite season!

Danielle September 23, 2011

Your photos are always great on here but I LOVE the photo of the tomatoes being washed! The soup looks great too (duh) but I am so envious of how amazing your photography has gotten!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

Thanks Danielle! I love the water effect…heh and do it as much as possible!

Emily September 23, 2011

It’s like you can read my mind- was just wondering what soup I’d make on my upcoming cozy Sunday. This looks AMAZING. You’re just instant cooking inspiration for me- thank you!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama September 23, 2011

This looks absolutely amazing! Bookmarking immediately.

Liz @ Southern Charm September 23, 2011

I want/need this soup! I’m on some kind of crazy tomato kick! haha. Must have! Thanks for sharing!

janet @ the taste space September 23, 2011

Gah! I am speechless! I roasted tomatoes last night and now torn between making the pesto, this soup or baingan bharta. The obvious solution is just to roast more tomatoes!

Btw, if you want to give sweet potatoes another chance, this is an excellent curry:
Vanilla Sweet Potato and Kale Curry – it has coconut milk and garam masala, too