Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 23, 2011

IMG_2210

It’s the first day of Fall and I know exactly what you need.

A Snuggie, so you and your family can snug on the couch watching all your new favourite Fall shows.

snuggie-family

That poor dog.

Why do I get the feeling that you are all sitting at your computer right now with one on?

Don’t worry, it’s our little secret.

snuggie-man

Just please don’t tell me you’re naked under that thing.

You might also need a new O.P.I. nail polish.

O.P.I.-William-Tell-Them-About-OPI

Perhaps, a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie.

20100926IMG_3430_thumb

and Soup.

Definitely soup.

IMG_2196

Before this roasted tomato soup happened, soup and I were not on speaking terms.

A couple week’s ago, I made a coconut milk, sweet potato, and cinnamon soup and I just couldn’t get the flavour exactly how I wanted it. It was yuk. And I made myself finish it. Now I don’t want to look at another sweet potato again.

IMG_1496-2

As I thought about what went wrong with the sweet potato soup, I realized it needed a kick of heat. The ingredients were all sweet (cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet potato, coconut milk, etc) and the flavour lacked depth and contrast. I think the soup would have been wonderful with a kick of Indian spices so I will have to try that next time.

Instead of making another sweet potato soup, I decided to take this lesson and apply it to a roasted tomato and garlic soup. It’s really, really hard to go wrong with roasted tomatoes, as I discovered with the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto, so I was pretty confident it would be successful.

I grabbed 5 pounds of beautiful roma tomatoes.

IMG_2151

I made extra so I could make another batch of pesto with the leftovers! I encourage you to do the same because I have a delicious pizza recipe coming up using the pesto.

I prepped the tomatoes, sweet onion, and garlic for roasting.

IMG_2154 IMG_2175 IMG_2174

And everything got roasted at once!

IMG_2182

The oven was on for about 1 hour and 25 minutes total at 375-400F, with the tomatoes taking the longest and the onions taking the least amount of time.

IMG_2180 IMG_2177

I added some of the roasted vegetables (along with 2 tbsp of roasted garlic), vegetable broth, a can of light coconut milk, S & P, and garam masala (<—the heat!)

IMG_2184 IMG_2190

I knew that this soup was going to be a game changer because the broth was mind blowing.

I blended it (only 3 seconds!) to leave it chunky. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one.

IMG_2194

There is so much depth of flavour in this soup it made my head spin! It didn’t need any second trials, no second guessing…it just worked.

IMG_2205

Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Print this recipe!

This tomato soup is anything but traditional, boring, or bland and it’s definitely one of the best homemade soups I have made to date. The light coconut milk is a great way to add a luxurious creaminess, pairing well with the heat from the garam masala and adding a nice contrast to the rustic quality of the roasted vegetables. I will make this again and again!

Yield: 6 cups

Roasting vegetables:

• 5 pounds of roma tomatoes, washed & sliced in half
  • 1 large sweet onion, peeled & sliced
  • 2-3 large garlic bulbs, prepared for roasting
  • extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, & pepper, for vegetables

Soup:

• 3 cups roasted tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh
  • all of the roasted sweet onion
  • 1 can light coconut milk (reserve 2-3 tbsp for garnish)
  • 3 cups vegetable broth (I used low-sodium)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tsp garam masala (add slowly, to taste)
  • 1 tsp salt or to taste (you may have to reduce amt. if you used full-sodium broth)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • for garnish: garlic croutons, coconut milk, pesto, herbs, garam masala, pepper, etc.

1. Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 baking sheets with tin foil (note that parchment paper will burn). Grab a small casserole dish to place the garlic in. For how to prepare the garlic, see this tutorial. Lightly drizzle on EVOO onto onions and season onions and tomatoes with S & P. Roast for about 30 minutes and then check on the vegetables. You might have to remove the onions early as they cook the quickest. When the onions are golden and lightly blackened on the edge, you can remove them. Continue roasting the garlic for about 60 minutes or so (check it after 4 5mins), and the tomatoes for about 1 hour and 20 mins. Your oven times will vary though, so keep an eye on them!

2. Add 3 cups roasted tomatoes, 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh, and all the onion into a large pot. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, and broth and stir well.

3. Stir in the seasonings and spices to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

4. Carefully transfer into a blender, processor, or use an immersion blender. Pulse for just a few seconds until chunky. You can also make it smooth, but I liked the texture. Serve immediately and garnish with reserved coconut milk, a sprinkle of garam masala, croutons/bread, and fresh black pepper.

IMG_2210-2

If you think that forgoing animal products means that you will never get to have a cream-based soup…think again! This soup was rich & creamy thanks to the coconut milk, but not weighed-down or heavy in any way.

It is super filling, but light at the same time.

How is that even possible?

I told you, your head will spin.

IMG_2213

You can use the leftover roasted tomato and garlic to make the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto for a pizza recipe I have coming up…it’s made with a crispy buckwheat and almond meal flatbread crust. Coming up!

IMG_2245

Oh and my new Fall-themed header is coming at ya, today or tomorrow.

Have a great start to your weekend!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 23, 2011 at 8:59 am

This has my name ALL over it :D

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 23, 2011 at 9:01 am

This soup looks EPIC. So perfect for fall!
btw- I kinda want a snuggie. I won’t lie.

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove September 23, 2011 at 9:01 am

This looks so perfect for the Fall, although I’m not entirely sold on the coconut milk. Maybe soy milk?? Do you think that would work instead?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 9:31 am

I do think the coconut milk is a main ingredient, but it might be ok with another non-dairy milk too.
In case you are wondering, the coconut flavour is very subtle in this soup.

Natalie Anne Lanoville July 5, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Soymilk or almond milk would be fine I think, but honestly coconut milk is a natural pairing with tomato. I’m trying the recipe today (adding a wee bit of fresh ginger), can’t wait!

Andrea September 23, 2011 at 9:09 am

I’ve never been crazy about tomato soup, but the flavors in this look realllly good! I just may try it since I still have an over-abundace of tomatoes :)

And FYI, I’m not sure if you know this, but the link to the pesto takes you to a pdf of the pizza recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 9:28 am

opps, fixed it. Thanks :)

Heidi Oran September 23, 2011 at 9:11 am

This look so yum, can’t wait to try it. Had something similar at a restaurant recently but I’m guessing this will be 10x better!

Heather (heathers dish) September 23, 2011 at 9:16 am

The coconut is such an interesting addition but it sounds great! Definitely coming up on soup weather here too :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 23, 2011 at 9:17 am

holy sexy soup and snuggie, batman!!! I want that in meh belleh. Also, have you seen OPI espresso? I pinned it. I love it so much it hurts my heart.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 9:29 am

No but I’ll have to check it out!

Lizzie September 23, 2011 at 9:21 am

Angela – why must you continue to taunt me at my desk with these delicious recipes that I can’t enjoy right now? :) I did make that pesto and it was SO good. I mixed it in with some whole wheat pasta for a dinner last weekend and then used it for a sandwich this week. Plus they have a lot of overripe toms at the farmers markets right now, that would otherwise go to waste. This soup looks SO good and it seems like the weather is going to be in favour of soup this weekend, so a batch might be in my future! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 9:30 am

Glad you enjoyed the pesto :) I’ve made 4 batches so far heh.

Bev Weidner September 23, 2011 at 9:22 am

UH, I’m about to go scuba diving in that soup.

Seriously, I am.

robyn September 23, 2011 at 9:24 am

Those soup pictures look unbelievably deiicious! Wow,,,coconut ANYthing and it’s all good. I’ve got roma tomatoes on sale here and am going to buy a bunch to roast then try freezing for the winter for your AWEsome pesto recipe<3

Andrea @ Vegvacious September 23, 2011 at 9:28 am

Anything that includes roasted garlic is a winner in my book! This looks delish – I don’t use coconut milk very often so it will be good to try it out in a soup recipe!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 23, 2011 at 9:29 am

I’ve always wanted a snuggie! :)

That soup looks amazing!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 23, 2011 at 9:32 am

Snuggies (or Slankets as I call them) should be burned! Must be because I’m warm-blooded… ;)

I’m shocked your sweet potato soup didn’t turn out! I need to dig out this recipe I have for a sweet potato rice curry soup and post it on my blog this week…it’s a lovely, gorgeous thing and perfect for this weather. I might make it with quinoa instead of rice this time.

LOL @ Bev scuba diving in the soup! Use a crouton as a flotation device! :)

Ashley September 23, 2011 at 9:33 am

I need (want?) to make this soup ASAP, but do not have Garam Masala. Do you have any suggestions on what indian spices to use as a replacement? Your roasted red pepper hummus recipe and roasted tomato basil pesto are my utlimate favourites. I have a feeling this one is going to be added to that list..

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 10:19 am
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 23, 2011 at 9:38 am

Sounds lovely Ange!!! I could totally use some soup today with this dreary rain we’ve got. And maybe a snuggie…no wait… not quite. ;) Happy Friday!

Bre September 23, 2011 at 9:45 am

Angela,

I am making this soup ASAP this weekend, it looks like exactly what I want to eat right now! Also, I’m wondering where you got your smoothie glass with the built in straw? I’ve seen these on lots of blogs (many times on yours) and I want to get my hands on one. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 9:50 am

The glass straw is from Glass D’harma :)

kristin September 23, 2011 at 9:46 am

This looks amazing!
I’ve been following your blog for a couple of years now and made so many of your delicious dishes (which my husband has LOVED). I’ve noticed you’ve started doing a lot more gluten-free recipes. This is very convenient for me as I’ve recently (2 weeks ago) found out that I have a gluten intolerance. I was just curious as to the reason you were incorporating more gluten-free recipes.
Happy Friday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Hey Kristin, I will be talking about the reasoning for this in my pizza recipe post.

Cat September 23, 2011 at 9:47 am

This soup looks amazing! I can’t wait to make it!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 23, 2011 at 9:48 am

WOW! Roasted tomato and garlic sounds like an amazing combo!! With some crusty bread, I’d be happy all day long. Yum!! :)

Kristi September 23, 2011 at 9:53 am

Seriously, you always have the perfect recipe at the right time!! I have a TON of beautiful fresh tomatoes to use, and I was planning to make another batch of the pesto (which we adored) but I’m afraid that my neighbor’s gigantic basil plant (which has been keeping me supplied) most likely froze last night. I am going to make this tomorrow!

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab September 23, 2011 at 9:58 am

that looks really good! I’m usually not a big fan of coconut in non-dessert foods, but I might give this a try, I love the combination of roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic!

Marcy September 23, 2011 at 10:02 am

I just so happen to have the leftover tomatoes from my double batch of roasted tomato pesto in the fridge…and a half a tin of coconut milk. I think this calls for a little half batch of soup!

Tonya September 23, 2011 at 10:06 am

Yummy, delicous, and inspriing post! You’ve accomplished something that has never happened before–you’ve gotten me excited about the cooler weather :-) Soup it is! Thanks!

Angela September 23, 2011 at 10:08 am

This is the sweet potato soup I make:

I love it. Totally worth having to clean the food processor after all the grating!

[email protected] DiVa DiSh September 23, 2011 at 10:13 am

OH my gosh!! That soup is calling my name!!! I will eat it in my snuggie!! haha jk I don’t own one…But seriously, that seems like the most warm and comforting soup!

Moni'sMeals September 23, 2011 at 10:13 am

I can assure you Ang, that I will be trying this soup! What a combo. I will let you know….

Love this Fall post, my favorite time too. :)

I look forward to your Fall Background next
and (love the snuggie pic!!)

Blythe September 23, 2011 at 10:14 am

This soup looks amazing…can’t wait to make it!!!! Omg…the dog looks hilarious…I have one of those snuggie thingies for my dog and she made the same face when we tried it on her!!

Willie Costello September 23, 2011 at 10:14 am

Can’t wait to try this!

And as it turns out, I’m planning on using your roasted tomato pesto for a pizza this weekend too! I’m excited to see how ours will compare!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race September 23, 2011 at 10:19 am

I love that polish! I’m slightly obsessed with painting my nails :D

leslie September 23, 2011 at 10:22 am

angela, i am so excited about this recipe! what a perfect way to celebrate the end of tomato season. i can’t wait to make it!

[email protected] September 23, 2011 at 10:23 am

Oh goodness, this is making me drool. I had a soup in mind for next week since it’s supposed to be pretty dreary and rainy, but I might make this one instead!

Jessica September 23, 2011 at 10:26 am

I know! Poor dog in the Snuggie! I am going to make this soup this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 23, 2011 at 10:28 am

I love roasted tomatoes and with the weather getting cooler I am definitely on a soup mission this weekend.

For the record, I have a Snuggie and I love it. And if I had a dog I’d get one for him too!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 23, 2011 at 10:30 am

Yum! I have yet to try a “roasted” theme soup this fall! Excellent idea! Haha sometimes I wish I had a snuggie, then I see picutures like this I know I am better off with a sweater :)

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy September 23, 2011 at 10:34 am

This looks fabulous! I want a bowl of that soup right now!! Fall is my very favorite season!

Danielle September 23, 2011 at 10:41 am

Your photos are always great on here but I LOVE the photo of the tomatoes being washed! The soup looks great too (duh) but I am so envious of how amazing your photography has gotten!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Thanks Danielle! I love the water effect…heh and do it as much as possible!

Emily September 23, 2011 at 10:46 am

It’s like you can read my mind- was just wondering what soup I’d make on my upcoming cozy Sunday. This looks AMAZING. You’re just instant cooking inspiration for me- thank you!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama September 23, 2011 at 10:46 am

This looks absolutely amazing! Bookmarking immediately.

Liz @ Southern Charm September 23, 2011 at 11:00 am

I want/need this soup! I’m on some kind of crazy tomato kick! haha. Must have! Thanks for sharing!

janet @ the taste space September 23, 2011 at 11:08 am

Gah! I am speechless! I roasted tomatoes last night and now torn between making the pesto, this soup or baingan bharta. The obvious solution is just to roast more tomatoes!

Btw, if you want to give sweet potatoes another chance, this is an excellent curry:
Vanilla Sweet Potato and Kale Curry – it has coconut milk and garam masala, too

Leah @ Why Deprive? September 23, 2011 at 11:09 am

This looks amazing! I was just thinking yesterday that I’ve never tried making tomato soup before. I’m definitely making this on the weekend.

Geosomin September 23, 2011 at 11:13 am

mmm…I was just thinking I needed some fall coup for my lunches next week. Score :)

Andrea September 23, 2011 at 11:29 am

ZOMG! Your dog is super beautiful! Looks like a king charles spaniel with ruby colouring! Am I right?
Your soup sounds FANTASTIC too! I cant wait to try it, LOVE me my garlic!

Jenny @ Simply Be...me September 23, 2011 at 11:32 am

yum! sounds perfect for the cool evenings that are approaching fast. As for the failed sweet potato soup, I discovered after a few tries that I really don’t like cinnamon added to anything savory, it always makes food taste ‘off’ to me. Even regular roasted sweet potatoes, if they have cinnamon on them I won’t be eating them :)

Amber K September 23, 2011 at 11:37 am

You have a way of making even food I don’t like look totally inviting. That looks like the epitome of comfort food! And I totally have a cheap Snuggie on, it’s called a bathrobe that’s turned backwards ;)

Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission September 23, 2011 at 11:39 am

The dog snuggie makes me giggle :D He looks like jabba the hut. Poor thing!
And this post is like a fallgasm. That soup looks so delicious and comforting, yet so chic.

Mama Pea September 23, 2011 at 11:46 am

So you know I mostly come up with my own recipes. But I just bookmarked this one. Yum.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 23, 2011 at 11:46 am

This is so unique – looks amazing!

Rhona September 23, 2011 at 11:51 am

Looks really delicious and…I am not a lover of soup. I will have to try this though just because the flavors look complex and smokey.

[email protected] September 23, 2011 at 11:54 am

I am making this tonight if the store near me has coconut milk.

Heather @ The Wisch List September 23, 2011 at 11:56 am

Angela, this looks delish! Thanks for sharing.

Sush September 23, 2011 at 12:04 pm

This soup looks wonderful! And yes, I am the proud owner of a leapord print snuggie =)

jenna September 23, 2011 at 12:08 pm

ooo lala this looks amazing Angela!! so good!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat September 23, 2011 at 12:22 pm

When you bill it as the best homemade soup you have ever made, well! I can’t come to own a snuggie, but I do have a “onesy” – you know, with the arms, legs, feet and trap door! It’s now quite cold enough for that, but I am at my desk wrapped in a blanket, now dreaming of soup instead of focusing on work. Thanks!

Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather September 23, 2011 at 12:29 pm

This look like major comfort food!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 23, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Coconut milk is such a cool addition! I would have never though to use that. Something about the fall scream tomato and roasted garlic. Maybe the cozy Italian-like smell? :)

Greta September 23, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I don’t even like soup, and yet this looks completely wonderful. Also, I was wondering – did I miss something, or are you slowly turning gluten-free? You’ve been doing a lot of that (which I love, since I’m also doing it!), but I haven’t seen you writing about it. So, just curious. <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Hey Greta, I will be writing about this in my pizza recipe post.

jackie hatch! September 23, 2011 at 12:49 pm

love your pizzas cant wait!

Elisa September 23, 2011 at 12:51 pm

How does this soup freeze?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Im sorry, but Im not sure.

MELISSA September 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I am so making this. Like I wish I was in my kitchen right now, but I’m at work, stuck in front of my computer screen, drooling at your soup!!

laura September 23, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I’ve been loving soups lately, esp. ones with coconut milk! So, ready for fall. & I am in need of a new OPI nailpolish. :)

Cherie September 23, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Sounds delicious!
On a snuggie note, my son really wanted one, a few years ago, or so he thought. When it became clear that a snuggie was actually just a blanket with arms and that you couldn’t run around while wearing, some of the appeal was gone. So, we made him a giant fleece T-shirt style snuggie! Problem solved ;-).

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 1:34 pm

haha that’s cute

Kirsty September 23, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I have all the ingredients in…. I must make this…looks Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious xx

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 23, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I love the idea of using coconut in a tomato soup…yum!

gia September 23, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Omg! Agree with above comment, and I might be tempted to add lentils too. The roasting part is what realllllly appeals to me. I love the looks of this.

Alex September 23, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Looks Delicious! How many pounds of tomatoes are needed for 3 cups of roasted tomatoes?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I’m not sure as I roasted 5 pounds and had leftovers…I *think* I had about 2 cups roasted tomatoes leftover. So I would say you need 3 pounds for 3 cups?

Katie September 23, 2011 at 3:02 pm

This sounds delicious–I love the thought of a chunky soup with roasted tomato, garlic, and onions. But I have a question—can you taste the coconut in the coconut milk? I really dislike the flavor of coconut, though I’ve never tried coconut milk and I don’t know how strongly the flavor comes through when cooked in soup.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm

The taste of the coconut is there, but quite mild. The roasted veggies and garam masala are really the stars.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 23, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Wow that soup looks awesome! And know I know what all that roasted garlic was for!

Love it when recipes require no second trials, no second guessing…just work the first time around.

the roasted veggies look perfect and I’ve made some rice and casseroles with coconut milk,but not yet soup. Must try!

Kelsey September 23, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I’m so glad it’s fall. I know I can eat soup any time of the year, but in the fall it just feels so much better!

sarah September 23, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Mmmmm, I love Susan’s split pea/sweet potato soup at fatfreevegan. It has those warm indian spices. This looks equally yummy! Will have to try this soon!

Erin September 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Yum – this looks amazing! I have been sick with a nasty cold/flu the past 2 1/2 weeks and needed a spicy fall soup to make me feel better. Like you, I hit it on the 1st try and it was fantastic. Basically it was quinoa, red lentils, onion, carrot, celery, lots of garlic & fresh ginger, curry powder, coconut milk, and finished with chopped tomatoes & cilantro. OMG it was perfect! Can’t wait to try your version :)

Tikva September 23, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I am making it now as we speak. I’ve started the boil so it’s almost finished. It’s SOOOOO good. And I’ve never roasted all of these veggies. Learn something new :c)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 6:26 pm

enjoy!

booturtle September 23, 2011 at 5:15 pm

This sounds amazing. I found it through Pinterest and cannot wait to try it. Thanks for sharing. And I look forward to poking around your blog a little more this weekend.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco September 23, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Mmmmmmmm. Looks incredible! Thank you for leaving such a kind comment on my blog! You rock! ;)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 23, 2011 at 5:22 pm

That’s a bummer your sweet potato soup didn’t work out – it sounds like it could have been really good! But at least this one was successful. I love coconut milk based soups!

Rachel September 23, 2011 at 7:55 pm

This is amazing and even though I’m heading into spring I will definitely make this soon. I have a delicious sweet potato and pumpkin recipe for soup that has a just the kick I think you are looking for : http://mthanded.blogspot.com/2009/03/curry-pumpkin-soup-and-home-made-bread.html . It’s an all time favourite abound here. Thanks for the recipe!

Jenn September 23, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I made this tonight. WOW! It was delicious.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011 at 11:33 am

Glad you enjoyed it Jenn!

Magen September 23, 2011 at 9:24 pm

JUST what I needed on a rainy Boston Friday night. Delicious. Thanks Angela!

Jenna September 23, 2011 at 9:41 pm

That is quite possibly one of the most delicious looking soups that I have seen at all recently. Looks so warm and yummy.

Rhonda September 23, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Your soup looked so good I had to stop on the way home for more tomatoes… first the garlic smelled amazing, then the soup!! I have a new favourite soup, thanks for the recipe Angela – I am now patiently waiting for your cookbook :)

Alexis @ hummusapien September 23, 2011 at 10:00 pm

All I can say is YUM!

jenna September 23, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I love your love of Fall! I can’t get enough pumpkin! The soup looks amazing, and your pizza looks like one I made tonight. I added black olive tapenade :)

Heather September 23, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Angela! Are you a mind reader? I think you are. My boyfriend and I went for Indian food today and we talked about how we wanted to make a new Indian inspired dish. I think we found our winner. Thank you!!!

Stay lovely,
Heather

[email protected] September 24, 2011 at 1:28 pm

haha! I always feel like she’s reading my “food” mind too!

Heather September 24, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Glad to hear I’m not alone! (;

Hannah September 24, 2011 at 12:39 am

Oh my gosh! I totally bought a Snuggie back in June, the middle of Australia’s winter…. and I never even opened the packaging it was posted in!! Now I have to wait for next Winter…

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts September 24, 2011 at 4:40 am

I really like sweet potato and chilli soup…but as an alternative, this looks rather good :)

Katrina September 24, 2011 at 6:51 am

Yummmm! Love this!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner September 24, 2011 at 8:46 am

Yay for snuggies! I have the cheetah print one. :)

Virtually Vegan Mama September 24, 2011 at 8:49 am

I’m LOVING the look of this soup…I will be making this one!

xoxo

Jen =)

emma September 24, 2011 at 9:07 am

Oh my! That soup looks delicious! Such a wonderful flavour combination. Tonights dinner perhaps :-)

Laura September 24, 2011 at 10:09 am

Just making this! I cannot wait to try it. I roasted extra tomatoes for use in a sweet potato, kale, peanut butter soup to use instead of canned one. I bet it will make that soup taste even better than it normally does! Thanks for the idea.

Alex @ Raw Recovery September 24, 2011 at 10:15 am

Sounds like a lot of interesting flavors, but it looks good!

Jessica September 24, 2011 at 10:54 am

OMG This sounds like a fabulous kick start to fall recipe! :)

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! September 24, 2011 at 11:14 am

Mmmmmm that soup looks so delicious!!!! I love pureed soups!

Casey September 24, 2011 at 11:21 am

OMG! the snuggieee!!! ahahah my dog actually has one…dont worry though, it was a gift from another family. Plus he doesn’t wear it b/c it makes his fur blue haha

Lulu September 24, 2011 at 11:37 am

I love the idea of your soup but I am allergic to coconut. Would you recommend just cream instead if I needed to leave out the coconut milk?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Cream would work or probably almond milk since it’s creamy too.

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl September 24, 2011 at 11:42 am

Love all the flavors and textures of this soup– indian meets italian? This looks like a super comforting fall type soup and I can most definitely see why. Perfect for the ending season of tomatoes, but incoming of fall :) Coconut milk based soups are the best comfort food!

[email protected] September 24, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Mmm amazing recipe!!! I love these kinds of foods–in fact, it inspires me to go ahead and eat the leftover Indian for lunch! Wait, that didn’t sound right…”leftover indian food” haha. This puts me in a giddy Fall mood! <33 Have a great day~

Stephanie September 24, 2011 at 1:41 pm

This looks delicious! Also, LOVE your new fall header!

Vanessa September 24, 2011 at 1:48 pm

i am dying to make this!

Mai September 24, 2011 at 1:48 pm

oh! i like this new header a LOT.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 24, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Oh yum! I love tomato soup and the idea of adding coconut is just perfect. Thanks!

Annalisa September 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Ha ha — for a minute I thought that was your family and thought “wow, they are really hardcore into their snuggies!” Love the soup recipe! SmittenKitchen did a tomato soup recipe this week and topped hers with some toast/shaved onion/cheese which i might have make these two recipes come together. Your spice combo sounds yummy! Happy fall!

Therese September 24, 2011 at 2:19 pm

LOVE the new header! Have you leaves turned that much already this year?

Maria Laura September 24, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Greetings from Argentina, Angela!!! I can’t recall how i found your blog, but i’ve been a huge fan ever since I first read it. I’ve been a Vegan for 11 years now, and let me tell you how talented you are to me (I guess you’ve heard this before). Unfortunately, in Patagonia, near the end of the world, many of the ingredients you use in your recipes don’t even exist and my country is basically a meat eater one, so i’m kind of struggling here :-) Anyway, I just wanted to leave a comment telling you I admire your cooking, Hugs again
Laura

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Hey Laura! Nice to meet you :) Thanks for your kind words about the blog. Sorry to hear about the ingredients…I can imagine how difficult that could be in some places. All the best, Angela

Tiffany September 24, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Hi Angela, just wondering if you think adding some red lentils would be good in the soup? This soup already looks so amazing, but I was thinking that adding lentils might make it more filling? Or would you recommend that? It does already look perfect! Thanks for the terrific recipes. :)

Lindsay September 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I love the new header. It looks so warm and inviting. I always find the snuggie commercials to be hilarious, esp because they have one for the dog. I do have one though. Leopard print. Unfortunately I don’t get to bust it out yet because here in Texas it is still ridiculously hot.

janice September 24, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I just made a batch of the “Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup”, all I can say is YUMMO!
I did make one change in the recipe b/c the only garam masala I had in my spice drawer was “spicy”.
I liked it so much I made a second batch, sent some home with a friend then e-mailed a link to your recipe.

Lara @TresLaLa September 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm

That poor dog is right! Yikes! Loving the new header! And the soup looks awesome!

Candace September 24, 2011 at 5:02 pm

This was delicious! I had a question though, roasting the tomatos destroyed my pans. The juices burnt before my tomatos roasted making it difficult to get them off and difficult to clean my pans. Any advice? Oh, and do you think I could remove the seeds?…it was just a little seedy for me

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Did you use tin foil to line the pan? I find that worked for me with little mess.
As for the seeds, you can use a fine sieve.

Shontill September 24, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I’m making this right now. My house smells wonderful. Can’t wait to eat!!!

Alicia September 24, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I don’t have time to read your new post but I LOVE your new header, super cute!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. September 24, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Oh it ALL looks so good!

Lilly September 24, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Hi Angela, I love your blog and recipes, even though i’m not vegan!
I was just wondering if you have closed your bakery, or is it still running?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2011 at 7:24 am

Yes, it’s still running!

Alexandria Lewis September 24, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Perfectly delicious! Made this tonight and it was wonderful!

michelle September 24, 2011 at 9:01 pm

My husband bought me a snuggie last xmas and I hated the feeling of the material – I just don’t get them! This soup looks ridiculously good, making it this week.

Kalie September 24, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I think this one may be worth risking my life to try! Yes, I am allergic to coconut but i dont care I am trying this!!!!!!! ;)

Kristina Lekin September 24, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I just made this – my house smells amazing and it tastes divine! Awesome work, Angela.

Sending love from Waterloo,
Kristina

Jessica September 24, 2011 at 11:14 pm

OMG, I made this tonight and it was SO FREAKING GOOD. My husband and I both agreed that it was one of the best soups we’d ever eaten.

I had one minor problem- I didn’t peel my tomatoes, because it doesn’t appear from the recipe or pictures that you did, but I was not a fan of the tough little skin bits. Perhaps this only became a problem for me because I pureed mine until smooth- maybe since you left yours chunkier, the skin didn’t separate from the tomato chunks? Anyway, next time I will skin the tomatoes first.

Because, oh, yes, there will be a next time. Quite possible tomorrow, because, Holy Cow, amazing. Seriously. Thank you for this recipe.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2011 at 7:22 am

Glad you enjoyed it!
If you want it super smooth you can use a fine sieve to strain it out. Enjoy! :)

cat @ cat's belly fat cure September 24, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I have been looking for a fall nail polish color that I love….that one is definitely it. I’m gonna go searchin for that one. Your soup looks delish too. :)

Gulcan September 25, 2011 at 3:17 am

I love your new Autum header!! Colour combination gives such warm positive feelings. Great! :)

LizAshlee September 25, 2011 at 8:58 am

What a delicious and hearty soup!! YUM!

Jenn V. September 25, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Angela, I’m right there with you on the awesomeness that is fall! This soup looks delicious and I can’t wait to make it. By any chance have you found or do you have your own really good cream of vegetable soup recipe? I’ve looked online and in my cookbooks but haven’t found anything that screamed to me. Thought I’d ask. Thanks!

Jayne September 25, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Not only did I make this delicious soup but I’d like to paint my nails with this color! Do you know the name Angela?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Hey! I think the link that I embedded says the name of the OPI colour (something with William in the name if I remember correctly!)

Ali September 25, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Delicious soup! Just what I needed to start fall off right!!

Verena September 25, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I made this soup last night and it was delicious! However, might I add that not every blender can blend the soup. We have a high power blender of really good quality but when I turned it on it basically exploded out the top and I burned my hands! So just a little warning :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2011 at 8:24 pm

yikes! Sorry that happened to you. I will add into the directions to blend it in batches.

Hola October 22, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Stupid ass. Common sense should have kicked in right before you pressed that button to blend everything, but it seems you might be lacking it. Then stupidity obviously takes over when the thought of blaming the accident on your blender and not on yourself when you clearly should have placed the appropriate lid on it. Then stating your misfortune to everyone only supports why your new nickname is stupid ass.

Catie September 25, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I just made this soup and it was awesome! You’re right, the flavors really mix well together. Thanks for another great recipe!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 25, 2011 at 8:15 pm

The soup looks delish! I am going to book mark this and make it this weeks!!!

[email protected] September 25, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Love the addition of coconut milk. This soup would also make a good cold soup. Perfect for an Oz Spring :)

Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve September 25, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I just made this tonight! So delicious! I’ve recently gone gluten-free too, so I made some socca (chickpea flour bread) to go with it. I highly recommend socca if you are trying out gluten-free. This is how I made it:

1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (280ml) water
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided

Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes in an oiled bread pan or a 10 or 12 inch pizza pan. There are tons of sources out there for baking/broiling/pan frying socca, so I suggest you check them out! It can be made savory or sweet.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 8:42 am

That sounds really good! I haven’t tried Socca yet.

Dalai Lina September 25, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Question: You say roast 5 lbs of tomatoes and then say use 3 cups of roasted tomatoes – do you have a lot left over or are you using all of the roasted tomatoes?

Dalai Lina September 27, 2011 at 5:51 pm

BTW, I made it today, and I did end up using all the tomatoes…and it was totally delicious!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 8:42 am

Yes there were leftovers (I put that into the directions and said that I used leftovers for my pesto) =) Glad it worked out for you!!

Jen {The Wholehearted Life} September 26, 2011 at 8:12 am

The soup looks and sounds amazing and I don’t even (usually) like tomato soups! I can’t wait to surprise my husband with this :).

anne September 26, 2011 at 8:25 am

I made the soup and it was super yummy! thanks :)

Whitney September 26, 2011 at 9:22 am

Ooooo, this looks FABULOUS! Do you think it would work well “pumped up” with a whole grain of some kind?

Do you think rice, orzo, lentils… or what? might be best for a more complete “meal in one”?

I can’t wait to try this! YUM! Thanks as always, Angela!

Tonya September 26, 2011 at 11:15 am

I made a smaller batch of this Saturday and I’m eating the leftovers for lunch today. Delicous. The fragrance of roasted vegetables filled the whole house. I used the leftover roasted garlic in a lentil burger recipe. So YUM!

Krista September 27, 2011 at 4:42 pm

This soup was so wonderfully amazing, and exactly what I needed to soothe my soul after a stressful last few days. I am fairly new to OSG, but have been going crazy making so many of you delicious recipes these last few weeks. You are truly a master of your craft. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2011 at 9:09 pm

yay, glad you enjoyed it! Hope your week calms down. Thanks for your kind words about the blog!

Kinsey September 27, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Just got finished making :) AMAMZING! I cannot decide if the taste or the smell of my house is better?! Btw I roasted extra garlic and made a garlic sauce to top my kelp noodles for dinner tonight= SOO decious, thanks.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 27, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Thank God you posted this recipe!! I have an obscene amount of tomatoes to use after growing a whole bunch of them this summer. This is the perfect recipe to use them up, especially since soup is my ultimate comfort food.

Cindy Robinson September 28, 2011 at 9:35 am

I finally made this last night after burning my first batch of garlic, then shattering my casserole dish by setting it on the pan that had the tomatoes on it. Ever get the feeling that you just weren’t supposed to make a dish somedays? But I kept on, and roasted some more tomatoes & garlic and made the final product last night! Sooo good! We also made your croutons to put on top, my 3 year old helped (in between bites of the chunked bread). This was our first time branching out with spices (garam masala) and I loved it and husband liked it. Will definitely make again!

Maya September 28, 2011 at 11:29 am

Oh my gosh I love all these ingredients :) It looks delicious. If it ever cools down in TX (almost October and still getting past 100…) I am definitely making this.

Also, I’m sure you already have a recipe for this somewhere- but I made a vegan spicy queso yesterday and I think you’d like it. It’s posted on my blog if you have any interest, no worries if you don’t!

Wendy September 28, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I made it, and it was delicious!
It’s taken the no. 1 slot in My Favorite Soups (and your Carrot Apple Ginger goes to no. 2 now).
The only bummer for me is that it didn’t make a whole lot; those tomatoes really turn into nuthin once you blend them. Next time I’ll add even more tomatoes, roast them even more, and add even more coconut milk (incidentally, I wasn’t clear, from the recipe, how much to use, where I live there are only bottles of coconut milk, not cans).

I can’t wait to make this again!

Wendy October 3, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I made it a second time, with more tomatoes and more coconut milk, and it was even better. YUMMMMMMM. Best soup evar.

Ruth September 29, 2011 at 7:19 pm

This is the stuff. The. Stuff. I had to put it in the freezer or I would have eaten the whole pot.

carolyn September 1, 2014 at 11:44 am

I know this post is so old, but I’m wondering if the soup froze well? I’m trying to use all the tomatoes from my garden before they go bad, so I’m stocking my freezer! Thanks!

Ruth September 1, 2014 at 2:21 pm

If I remember correctly, it was as good after thawing it. I’m glad you commented here so that I remembered this recipe!

Tessa September 29, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I feel like the Augustus Gloop of tomato soup. Yummm

Jessica October 1, 2011 at 10:13 am

I put some swiss chard in a blender with some fresh basil and through it in the soup for an extra nutritional punch. So delicious. I am very impressed with this recipe. Thanks so much for such a great whole foods plant based blog!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 8:12 am

Thats a great idea!

Jessica October 1, 2011 at 10:13 am

Ha. *Threw it into the soup. Sorry for the typo.

Nina October 1, 2011 at 5:41 pm

My first thought after trying the broth for this soup was Holy Crap! Hands down one of the beat soups I’ve ever made! It has gained a permanent spot in my recipe rotation. Thanks Angela!

CHELSEA October 2, 2011 at 4:13 pm

We jjust made this soup and are in awe of how fantastic it is! New to your website and you’re batting 1 for 1. This would be a great gift to someone if you fill a mason jar full of prepared soup along with a pkg of homemade tika marsala and a copy of the recipie. LOVE IT!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Hey Chelsea, That’s great you enjoyed the soup! :) I also laughed reading “1 for 1” ;)

Marianne October 8, 2011 at 1:29 am

It’s weird – I’m not a tomato person. I don’t like them in my salads or sandwiches; on pasta or pizza. But I do like a good tomato soup. I’ve never made one from scratch, but I love the idea of roasting the tomatoes for the soup – I can only imagine the depth of flavour that would bring. Definitely saving this recipe…too bad tomato season is basically over :(

Rose Chilibeck October 25, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I just made this amazing soup and it is seriously the most delicious soup I have ever made!! I was going to freeze some but can’t stop eating it! I will be making it again and again!! Thank you for this recipe and I will be making your other creations as well!! :)

melissa November 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I must say when I saw this recipe I was thinking first of all what on earth is Garam Masala and how are tomatoes with coconut milk going taste good together? I’ve made a few other things from your site such as the roasted tomato basil pesto-which i freaking love and overnight oats, so I held you in high regards. Without any disappointment I gobbled this down like I hadn’t eaten anything in days, truly a unique flavor combo and I love it! So thank you for 1. cooking healthy things that actually taste good and 2. for introducing me to new things I’ve never heard of before :)
(nutritional yeast has become my newest staple)
Cheers,
~Melissa

Jacquie November 20, 2011 at 10:43 am

Angela,Angela,Angela!
This soup/bisque is TO DIE FOR! Your recipes are superb,delicious and healthy all in one!
I am having so much fun perusing this blog for interesting things to make without the guilt of eating them! Keep ’em coming! Talent at it’s best!!

Faye May 22, 2012 at 8:24 pm

keep forgetting to post on how amazing this recipe is! So simple and so easy! I’m not a tomato fan and I could actually eat this with the depth of flavor this soup contains. Plenty left over for freezer. I don’t care it’s getting warmer. Going to make this again in the next few days. SO good!

Kathie Harnest August 25, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I have to tell you that I thought that this soup sounded so good that I doubled the recipe. It was beyond good….it was AMAZING! Best soup I have ever tasted! Today I heated the leftovers that I had and added red & yellow peppers and some spinach and served it over whole wheat pasta. To die for!!! Definitely a keeper! Thank you!

Liz September 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I make this soup all the time. Love it!

Bec September 2, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Made a big batch of this today and canned it. Now I have some ready and waiting when I don’t feel like cooking this winter.

susan September 12, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Can this soup be canned in a hot water bath?

Ryoung September 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Very good but in my opinion WAY WAY WAY too much garam masala. I only used 1/2 the amount and it’s still all I can taste. I had to roast more tomatoes to cut down the flavor of the garam masala and yet I still think it’s too much. I’ll have to see what my husband thinks when he gets home.

lahealthyliving September 19, 2012 at 12:36 am

Looks Amazing! For sure making it this week especially since it includes coconut milk!!!!

Sam September 20, 2012 at 10:37 am

Oh I made this soup today for a party at work and it was such a hit! I was a little leary of the coconut milk with tomatoes but I went with it and I am so glad I did! Only problem was there wasn’t enough because everyone wanted seconds :) This is one I will do regularly because it just rocks.

erika September 25, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I just made this! I actually didn’t roast the vegetables – my cat has been hiding under the oven, so I’m afraid to use it in case he runs under there – but I just sauteed the tomatoes, garlic, and onions on the stovetop and then made the soup as directed and it turned out amazing! I love it!

Nathalie September 26, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Eating it right now… AMAZING! One of the best soup in my life!!

Dana October 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I made this soup last night and absolutely loved it! I had leftover lentils and quinoa so I added a few spoonfuls to the soup and it just took it to whole new stratosphere! Definitely making this again. And again.

Laura October 11, 2012 at 3:19 pm

One of the best soups I have ever eaten, and SO EASY to make!! I am slowly transitioning to a vegan diet, and the depth of flavor and creaminess in this soup was just to die for. Even my meat-n’-dairy-lovin’ husband gobbled it up! Thanks for your wonderful blog, and for sharing your fresh, delicious, accessible recipes.

ellen October 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Making it for the second time today – absolutely delish! Has become a new fav in our house especially with the bushels of roma tomatoes from our harvest. Thanks so much!

Stacey October 21, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Holy cow, just made this soup, and it is absolutely amazing!! Thankyou for providing so many delish recipes on your blog!

Sue October 30, 2012 at 8:47 am

I made this last night and all I can say is wow! Easy to make and so so beautiful! I am going to be making this again and again.

Kelly November 8, 2012 at 10:30 pm

WOW….
I just made this for dinner tonight…
This was amazing!!!
A cold rainy evening in the California mountains with a fire and
this delicious soup made for a perfect evening…
Highly recommend anyone making this soup.
I had some pumpkin seeds I had not yet roasted from Halloween so
I roasted them and sprinkled them on top! Perfect addition… :)
Thanks so much Angela…love, love, love your recipes!

Tracy November 11, 2012 at 9:42 pm

FYI, made this soup and it’s true, it is DELICIOUS. There also isn’t a coconut flavour (which I was worried might not be ideal…).

Sierra November 19, 2012 at 7:40 pm

lol. I just made this and it turned into chicken tika masala (which I’ve wanted to learn how to make forever). It tastes fabulous! Thanks for the recipe :)

Michelle November 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Hi Angela, thank you for sharing this recipe. It looks amazing. I am making it for a dinner party tomorrow evening. Do you think it’s ok to make it the day before?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012 at 10:11 am

Yes I do. I hope it went well!

Michelle December 3, 2012 at 2:10 pm

This soup was the highlight of the dinner party – thank you! I will definitely make it again.

Carole - FlowerTowne December 1, 2012 at 9:52 pm

My husband and I made this soup together, at our cottage, in Sudbury Ontario. We roasted the vegetables in our fire burning cookstove. Hallelujah! All I can say is that I believe you have truly found your calling. You are truly an inspiration Angela. By the way, we also made desert…Chilled Double Chocolate Torte!
It’s a good feeling when you know exactly what you are supposed to do in your life. I know I do. You can see my work here – www.facebook.com/flowertownesudbury
God Bless!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2012 at 10:42 pm

You work is so beautiful Carole. Thanks for sharing! I’m so happy you enjoyed the recipes.

Carole - FlowerTowne December 2, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Thank you Angela, and yes, your recipes are fabulous! Bon Appetite!

Lauren February 9, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I just made this today. So good! I couldn’t figure out what was better: the smell in the house or the actual soup. Perfect with bread for dipping. Thanks for the great recipe!

Heidi February 12, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I just made this since our winter is wrapping up down here in Louisiana and I am so sad I haven’t been making this all winter! It is delicious! It’s my new favorite! My other is the Holiday Soup with the red quinoa. I think it’s the spices that make these soups so special! The depth of flavor in both is wonderful! Thank you!!

Kelly March 7, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Absolutely delish! And everyone at work says it smells great… only problem… I wasn’t paying attention and did two TBS of the Garam Masala… oops! :)

Crissy March 10, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Amazing! I just made this and the pesto today and they are both BRILLIANT! I am very much enjoying them both for dinner at this moment. Thank you for the awesome recipe! I will definitely be making this again :-D

Lacey March 31, 2013 at 4:06 am

I just made this for dinner (it’s Autumn in the southern hemisphere). It was delicious – thanks so much!

Jessica March 31, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Tried this soup for easter dinner appy and it was so amazing! The awesomeness started when i was roasting the tom, garlic and onion in the oven and it smelt devine but the best part was eating it. So amazing. Thank you for sharing the great recipe.

*Also made the veg shepards pie and chik choc cupcakes. was a hit. Thanks :)

ashlee May 16, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Wow! So yummy! I added some fresh Thai basil to this and it turned out really well! Your blog is amazing Angela! Every recipe I’ve tried has turned out perfectly so far…love it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2013 at 8:06 am

So glad to hear that Ashlee! Thanks for letting me know :)

Ashly May 26, 2013 at 6:12 am

Hi,
I was just wondering if I have to use roma tomatoes, could I use the field ones instead? thanks recipe looks delicious and so does the pesto.

Rhoda May 30, 2013 at 8:59 am

I made this for supper last night and everyone in the house came floating into the kitchen on the heavenly smells of roasting tomatoes, garlic and onions. Sooo delicious and easy to make. Another hit Angela! Thanks for such great recipes!

Violine June 5, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Thank you so much for this delicious recipe ! I was searching how to do an original tomato soup and that is a jackpot ! And I also tried your chilled double chocolate torte for a friend’s dinner : no one would have guessed it was vegan and there was nothing left ! Thanks a lot and I love your blog !

Kristi Dodson-Skinkis July 3, 2013 at 12:44 am

What kind of coconut milk do you use, the canned or the kind in the cooler section? I am excited to try this recipe! I have a ton of tomato plants, all colors! I want to try this recipe with white tomatoes. It is still early in summer. I hate to see the summer go, especially in the far north. This is one thing I have to look forward to. Also do you know if you are able to can this recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 3, 2013 at 10:19 am

I use the canned coconut milk (non-refrigerated) :) enjoy!

Kristin July 7, 2013 at 6:31 pm

We made this last night and it is unbelievable! It really does make your head explode!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2013 at 9:05 am

haha I love that visual! ;) glad u enjoyed it Kristin!

Kalina July 16, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Angela, I have been reading your posts for well over a year now but have never felt the need to comment. I made this recipe for my mom and me for lunch today and it was amazing. We fell in love! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Hey Kalina, Oh thank you for your lovely comment! So happy you enjoyed it. We must be on the same wavelength because I made this soup today also!

Kalina July 16, 2013 at 8:54 pm

What a coincidence! I’m in Florida and a tropical storm is moving through so we’ve had rain all week. :/ Fortunately, the weather was perfect for soup, so thank you again for the lovely recipe. :)

Brad Brickley July 27, 2013 at 4:33 pm

We’ve been making the change to vegitarian and came across your site while surfing for recipes. I saw this soup and thought it looked good, so I bookmarked it.
I just made it today and its delicious! Full bodied and tasty! The trick for me on making the change to a vegitarian diet is finding recipes that are tasty and leave you satisfied. I can’t just eat salads all the time, I’d fall off the wagon that way. My wife has done a great job of finding meals that satisfy and now I’ve found one here. Thanks!
P.S. I’ll be making the pesto meal with my extra tomatoes I roasted, I’m sure it’ll be good too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2013 at 9:18 am

Hey Brad, So glad you enjoyed the soup! Thanks for your comment…hope u enjoy many more to come :)

Debbie August 21, 2013 at 11:20 am

Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup–Delicious! I did not have the garam masala on hand, but it was still excellent without it. I would recommend this soup to anyone, vegan or otherwise. I’m a relatively new vegan, who has been looking for some meals that don’t leave me feeling deprived. I believe this site has ended my search. THANKS!!

Lindsay August 22, 2013 at 3:08 pm

How has it taken me so long to make this!? DELICIOUS.

Maria August 25, 2013 at 9:35 am

Oh, my… it has been too long..! This is such a delicious recipe, I keep stuffing it in my face (luckily I thought of pouring a portion in a container for later use). Taste is very personal, but I’d like to share a way of prepping the onion to make digestion easier – I know a lot of people suffering from bloating and gas after a meal with onions – and that is… puff your onion! Just shove it whole in the oven, 45 min on 180C/350F, let cool and there you have it :) let cool and peel, ah…

Thanks for sharing Ange! The broth is definitely mindblowing..!

Ady Mascari September 15, 2013 at 8:57 pm

We made this today. This soup is perfect – my husband says it’s totally restaurant-worthy. I’m a two month old baby vegan and your website has helped me so much! This is not nearly as overwhelming as I thought it would be, but a great deal of that is because of blogs like yours. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 16, 2013 at 7:32 am

Hey Ady, I’m so happy you are enjoying the recipes! Best wishes :)

sandra October 6, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Hello, this soup sounded so scrumptious that I had to make it immediately. Unfortunately it was not as great as I imagined it to be. I added only 1 1/2 tsp of garam masala and it was super spicy(a little too much for my taste). did I do something wrong? 3 cups of roasted tomatoes, 2 TBS of roasted garlic, 2 tbs of tomato paste, 15 ounce can of coconut milk, salt and pepper and 3 cups of veggie broth.

Julie Mokhtar October 15, 2013 at 9:27 am

Hi Angela!

This was THE perfect soup recipe to christen my spankin’ new hand blender! It turned out absolutely amazing and am now contemplating making my second batch already. Thanks so much for this genius creation, and also for introducing me to the wonders of roasted garlic! I’ve posted about my attempt at making the soup on my blog, hope that’s okay! Here’s the link for your reference: http://iammadetomove.blogspot.com/2013/10/attempting-oh-she-glows-creamy-roasted.html

Cheers!
Julie

Ryane October 16, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Made this soup last night….it is SOOOOOO yummy! Big hit with the hubby.

Jennifer October 17, 2013 at 9:32 am

This looks so yummy. In order to get some protein, have you ever tried to add cooked red lentils to this soup after blending? We made your Red Lentil, Tomato and Kale soup a few nights ago. It put me in my happy place and my carnivorous husband consumed two bowls! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 18, 2013 at 6:13 am

Hey Jennifer, I haven’t added red lentils to this soup, but I’m sure it would be a nice way to boost protein. :)

Brittany October 31, 2013 at 8:47 am

Thank you for this amazing recipe–I have it bookmarked on my phone, and it’s my go-to soup recipe! I’m making it for my company’s soup cookoff next week, and my husband is demanding that I make a second batch for him as well :)

Hilary November 10, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I just made this and OMG it is awesome!!!!!! I would love to see a post on your top 10 or top 5 favourite soups of all time … either your own recipes or others too!!

Laura November 23, 2013 at 5:28 am

Great soup. Loved this!

Chelsea November 24, 2013 at 6:12 pm

My tomatoes are roasting as we speak! Can’t wait! Your pics are always such a great help, thank you! Ill let you know how the soup comes out!

Patti December 12, 2013 at 4:22 pm

This is excellent! I have made it numerous times for different people and everyone loves it. It doesn’t taste like coconut, but the milk is the perfect foil for the tomatoes.
it is SO rich, and oh! It makes an excellent tortilla soup too!

Dev December 15, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Hi Angela,

I’m an avid reader of your blog, but this recipe was just too too spicy for my tastebuds. I put in the required two teaspoons of garam masala, but it tasted like 2 TABLESPOONS!! I suggest that anyone trying this recipe (which I loved, except for the spice) should reduce the garam masala or add more coconut milk. Don’t let your tastebuds get burned the way mine did!

Thanks,
Dev

P.S. This was great with brown rice!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013 at 9:07 am

Hi Deb, Thanks for your feedback! I’ll make a note in the recipe to add to taste :) I’m sure different brands of garam can differ in intensity.

April January 12, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Hi, first time here. Made the awesome tomato, garlic, onion, coconut soup. It was amazing. I am going to make it again this week. Thank you

Gail February 9, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Just made this soup. I’m not vegan but this soup could induce me to be! So very easy and tasty…and I don’t even like tomato soup as a rule. The coconut milk made it super. I used Mae Ploy which is a 19 oz. can. Not wishing to waste a cup of vegetable broth I added the entire 1 qt. box to the soup and then threw in another tablespoon of tomato paste. The soup was thick and rich. First time I have used garam masala but I used the full two teaspoons and it is fabulous. I think this recipe could easily be adapted to a basil flavored soup also. Going to try the pesto next – I used the entire 5 lbs of tomatoes in the soup so will just have to roast more. Thanks for the great recipe, can’t wait to share with friends.

Andrea February 9, 2014 at 9:57 pm

I made this soup tonight!!! Really really good!!! This soup is a keeper :D Thank you!

Tara Mundow March 11, 2014 at 5:54 am

This looks amazing!! But before I got out and buy 5pounds of tomatoes, is that right??? It seems like an awful lot? Its 2.2 kg conversion….
Dying to make the soup!

Stephanie April 10, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Hello there,

I was thinking of making this soup, however I don’t want to make extra for a pesto. I was wondering how much tomatoes and garlic would be enough to roast just for the soup? I’m sorry if this is a bit of a silly question, but I am a beginner!

Thanks,
Stephanie Gouliaras

Chelsea April 15, 2014 at 9:31 am

I made this soup last night. OMG IT WAS SO GOOD. I ate 5 bowls. I couldn’t stop. IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!

Sarah April 16, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Wow is all I really have to say about this recipe!! It’s fantastic!! This morning I had a soup craving and stumbled across your blog while looking for a recipe. I’m newly vegan so it’s very exciting. When I saw this recipe I NEEDED to make it.now as I sit here in the midst of a storm, feeling like a big fat pregnant whale, stressing about my unfinished assignment, this soup has just made my day sooo much better. I’ll definitely be back for more recipes!! What a cool blog.

Erin April 18, 2014 at 11:03 am

This looks amazing.Right now I’m on a special short-term detox diet and I can’t have anything with milk. I’m looking for things to make and I’d love to give this a try. Do you think I could blend up some white beans in a blender to make the creamy texture instead of using coconut milk? I know it will loose the coconut flavor but do you think beans are a good substitute? I have used them in other soups to create a thicker, creamier texture. Or could I use almond milk?

Marta May 22, 2014 at 6:11 am

I have cooked it and it was very good. Thanks for recipe. I am only sorry, that my husband doesn’t like it…

Erena DiGonis May 23, 2014 at 10:07 am

This may be more of a fall recipe, but I just stumbled across it and want it now! Thanks for sharing!

Dawn August 23, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I’ve enjoyed so many of your recipes but this is my first time commenting. This soup is AMAZING! I had a pile of gorgeous heirloom tomatoes on my counter. I roasted them, along with the onions and garlic, and I can’t stop eating this soup. Have you tried freezing it? I’d love to tuck some away for fall.

Amy September 15, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Hi! How fluid many ounces/milliliters is a can of coconut milk? Thanks!

Trish November 2, 2014 at 10:19 am

Can this be frozen ok?

Trish November 3, 2014 at 7:58 am

I made this yesterday and it’s almost gone. This was a really flavorful, comforting soup on a cold evening. Came together quickly. The only thing that I didn’t like was the skin from the tomatoes in the soup. Anyone else have that problem? I could peel them next time, but I’d prefer to leave them on for nutritional reasons. I blended the soup more to try to get rid of it and it helped somewhat. Other than that, this was a great soup!

Jessica November 4, 2014 at 8:51 am

I tried to make this tonight but I had to change up the recipe because I didn’t have the right tomatoes or garam masala. I used regular tomatoes that turned out so juicy I actually just left out one cup of vegetable stock and I threw in a bunch of different spices in place of the garam masala. I think next time if I use regular tomatoes again I’ll increase the onions and use more coconut milk in place of vegetable broth (because mmm the coconut milk really made it for me). This is probably even more amazing if you have all the right ingredients! Thank you soooo much for this recipe!

Angela November 12, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Just made this soup for my husband for dinner – HOME RUN! What an amazing recipe. I’ll be using this in the future fo sho.

Mary December 14, 2014 at 7:52 pm

This soup is INCREDIBLE, it embodies everything I love about your recipes and vegan cooking in general. A few simple ingredients, prepared with care and combined in the right way = VEGAN BLISS

Amy Salomone January 1, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Just wanted to let you know that this soup is epic! Easily my favorite soup of all time! I am making it right now. Happy New Year!

Christine F January 1, 2015 at 8:08 pm

The roasted tomato soup is absolutely delicious and so simple to make! Thank you Angela for your inspired recipes that are so jam packed with flavour and nutrition!
Christine from Calgary

KK January 6, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Hi Angela! I’ve made about 3 of your soups in 1 week after I purchased your book! I’d love to make this — but I would like to add some proteins. Would you recommend adding some type of a bean (lentil? chickpeas?) I’m slightly obsessed with extra chunky soups. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2015 at 10:58 am

I’d recommend chickpeas as they tend to go nicely with tomato soups.

Linda February 3, 2015 at 10:36 am

This was the best tomato soup I have ever tasted. Made a lot of soup and freezes very well.
It was so good I had it over pasta on night, added orzo to the soup another night. Thank you for such excellent recipes. All I can say is YUM!

Chenoa February 4, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Can you freeze this soup? Looks incredible!

Debbie February 18, 2015 at 7:22 am

EXCELLENT!!!
This soup tastes like it was made in a 5 star restaurant. It is rich, robust and extremely flavorful, thank you for this post.
Next recipes to try:
Detox Tabbouleh, Happy Digestion Smoothie (have a fresh pineapple calling to me) and Pumpkin Pie.
Once again THANX :)

Carole G February 23, 2015 at 12:07 am

I have a group of 8 friends and we have a monthly supper club gathering rotating hosts each time. In addition to having it at their home the host plans the entire menu and puts out and email the week before with recipes for the menu. Then one by one we reply back saying which recipes we will be responsible for. This is not a potluck even but a cooking club event. We can do the needed prep work ahead of time but we cook, finishe, assemble our dishes as group in the kitchen while sipping wine and visiting. Tonight I hosted and planned a menu around two big pots of soups which sounded good in the cold February Midwest weather (St. Louis). This tomato soup recipe was one of our featured soups and it turned out fantastic. It was a huge hit with everyone! The coconut milk and garam masala make it a delightfully unusual twist on a creamy tomato soup recipe. I double the recipe so there would be plenty for leftovers. It was delicious served with some warmed onion naan from a local global market with an Indian bakery. This recipe is a keeper for sure! Thanks!

Tina March 1, 2015 at 10:26 pm

I overcooked the onions and I’m sitting here debating weather to use them or roast a new onion. Opinions?

Silvia May 14, 2015 at 1:16 pm

This is an amazing soup. I have just made it. The soup tastes delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us. ;-)

Aarti June 1, 2015 at 3:20 pm

I made this soup for dinner this evening and we licked the pot clean! Thanks again Angela! :)

Aarti June 1, 2015 at 3:22 pm

(Well.. I almost did!)

plasterers bristol June 17, 2015 at 12:30 pm

This sounds really delicious and something new to try. Thank you for sharing this.

Simon

Lauren August 17, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Cans this be made with regular versus Roma tomatos?

Heather October 8, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Angela
First off you should know I am a brand new vegan and am convinced to stick with it after living off your recipes so far!! The flavours leave me speechless (mostly because I am too busy enjoying the food to talk)
I am making this soup and am a bit confused with the amount of tomatoes and garlic I am roasting compared to how much is used in the recipe. Roast 2-3 bulbs of garlic only to use 2 tbsp in the recipe? Can you clarify for me please?
Thank you for all your hard work to keep this once carnivore dairy loving now vegan very happy!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2015 at 10:21 am

Yes that’s correct – I tell you to roast 2-3 bulbs because (depending on the size of the bulb of course) one bulb will yield about 1 tablespoon of roasted garlic cloves. So just use 2 tbsp of roasted garlic in this soup. Or more if you like!! Roasted garlic is so sweet and lovely you can use a heavy hand.

Alison October 13, 2015 at 11:25 pm

This soup was amazing! It fulfilled the dreams I imagined when I saw the simple ingredients and surpassed the look of the soup. I added a bit of cayenne for an extra kick and loved that. Now I have a strong desire to make some sort of roasted tomato salsa!

Anna November 10, 2015 at 9:31 am

I’m SO excited to make this!! Does anyone know how many calories there are per serving??

Shannon November 12, 2015 at 5:24 pm

I made this soup the other day and absolutely loved it. I may have gone a bit overboard on the garlic – I used all that I roasted – and my boyfriend found it too much, but I didn’t mind a bit.

Roma tomatoes were pretty pricey in my neck of the woods, so I ended up using about 2/3 of what was called for, but I decided not to cut back on anything else. Perhaps more tomatoes would have masked the garlic a bit more but like I said, I still thought it rocked.

I believe the only other change I made is that I did decide to puree it completely. The soup sort of exploded out of my blender, but other than that it worked perfectly. I’d definitely recommend the immersion blender Angela suggests as opposed to a regular one unless you let the soup cool a LOT before blending.

Thanks for this recipe, Angela – I’ll definitely be making it again!

Ttrockwood November 27, 2015 at 1:38 am

Years later this is still one of my favorite soups! I make it frequently all winter and brought it to my friends’ thanksgiving celebration today where it was a huge hit :)

Jane November 29, 2015 at 6:49 am

How bizarre … snuggies and fingernail polish? I thought I was on the wrong site!

cate January 13, 2016 at 4:48 pm

Just made this and it was delicious!!! Next time I’ll probably use full fat coconut milk to make it even creamier though. Also added a couple sun-dried tomatoes cause I didn’t roast enough.

Rosemary Ogilvie March 18, 2016 at 12:30 am

Love it! Just made it with the last of my Roma tomatoes. Can’t wait for dinner now to eat it. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us.

Angela Liddon March 18, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Hi Rosemary, I’m so glad to hear you like the recipe. Enjoy your dinner!

Dianne May 6, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I just made this. It. Is. SOOOOOOO GOOD! This soup will be in heavy dinner rotation. Thank you!

Mish September 17, 2016 at 9:59 pm

This recipe is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I have done it many many times and it always comes out great :D If you are trying to decide, you know this is a keeper and smells incredible too!

Penguin, from the Turtle Penguin Fort

Angela Liddon September 19, 2016 at 2:47 pm

Thanks so much for the “glowing” review (heh)! I’m so glad you like the recipe.

Melanie January 1, 2017 at 2:06 pm

This is a really gorgeous soup. Beautiful flavours! I ended up adding more veggies (carrots,mushrooms, peppers) after blending, because I like a really full and chunky soup. Turned out great before and after the additions! Thank you!

Rhonda Valentine March 23, 2017 at 11:57 am

Is there a substitute for coconut milk like almond milk? I’m allergic to coconut…:-(

Deb June 22, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Going to make this soup but I don’t know what EVOO and S&P is? please help :-)

Angela Liddon June 23, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Hey Deb, they’re shorthand for “extra-virgin olive oil” and “salt & pepper”. :)

Ida Gedda September 9, 2017 at 8:43 am

I make this about once or twice a year, just because it is so incredibly delicious that I don’t want to spoil it. Also, great for tomato season right now! Hands down the best tomato soup there is.

Angela Liddon September 11, 2017 at 11:23 am

Thanks so much for the recipe love, Ida! Enjoy tomato season :)

Deb February 7, 2018 at 11:25 am

I made the mistake of using cheap canned coconut milk, which gave the soup a horrible plastic taste. Otherwise it would’ve been delicious! (And I even used canned roasted tomatoes.)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 8, 2018 at 7:43 am

Hey Deb, Oh I hope your next trial goes a bit better when using a different coconut milk. Glad to hear it worked with canned roasted tomatoes..I need to try this!