Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

IMG_2210

It’s the first day of Fall and I know exactly what you need.

A Snuggie, so you and your family can snug on the couch watching all your new favourite Fall shows.

snuggie-family

That poor dog.

Why do I get the feeling that you are all sitting at your computer right now with one on?

Don’t worry, it’s our little secret.

snuggie-man

Just please don’t tell me you’re naked under that thing.

You might also need a new O.P.I. nail polish.

O.P.I.-William-Tell-Them-About-OPI

Perhaps, a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie.

20100926IMG_3430_thumb

and Soup.

Definitely soup.

IMG_2196

Before this roasted tomato soup happened, soup and I were not on speaking terms.

A couple week’s ago, I made a coconut milk, sweet potato, and cinnamon soup and I just couldn’t get the flavour exactly how I wanted it. It was yuk. And I made myself finish it. Now I don’t want to look at another sweet potato again.

IMG_1496-2

As I thought about what went wrong with the sweet potato soup, I realized it needed a kick of heat. The ingredients were all sweet (cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet potato, coconut milk, etc) and the flavour lacked depth and contrast. I think the soup would have been wonderful with a kick of Indian spices so I will have to try that next time.

Instead of making another sweet potato soup, I decided to take this lesson and apply it to a roasted tomato and garlic soup. It’s really, really hard to go wrong with roasted tomatoes, as I discovered with the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto, so I was pretty confident it would be successful.

I grabbed 5 pounds of beautiful roma tomatoes.

IMG_2151

I made extra so I could make another batch of pesto with the leftovers! I encourage you to do the same because I have a delicious pizza recipe coming up using the pesto.

I prepped the tomatoes, sweet onion, and garlic for roasting.

IMG_2154 IMG_2175 IMG_2174

And everything got roasted at once!

IMG_2182

The oven was on for about 1 hour and 25 minutes total at 375-400F, with the tomatoes taking the longest and the onions taking the least amount of time.

IMG_2180 IMG_2177

I added some of the roasted vegetables (along with 2 tbsp of roasted garlic), vegetable broth, a can of light coconut milk, S & P, and garam masala (<—the heat!)

IMG_2184 IMG_2190

I knew that this soup was going to be a game changer because the broth was mind blowing.

I blended it (only 3 seconds!) to leave it chunky. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one.

IMG_2194

There is so much depth of flavour in this soup it made my head spin! It didn’t need any second trials, no second guessing…it just worked.

IMG_2205

Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup

Print this recipe!

This tomato soup is anything but traditional, boring, or bland and it’s definitely one of the best homemade soups I have made to date. The light coconut milk is a great way to add a luxurious creaminess, pairing well with the heat from the garam masala and adding a nice contrast to the rustic quality of the roasted vegetables. I will make this again and again!

Yield: 6 cups

Roasting vegetables:

• 5 pounds of roma tomatoes, washed & sliced in half
  • 1 large sweet onion, peeled & sliced
  • 2-3 large garlic bulbs, prepared for roasting
  • extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, & pepper, for vegetables

Soup:

• 3 cups roasted tomatoes
  • 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh
  • all of the roasted sweet onion
  • 1 can light coconut milk (reserve 2-3 tbsp for garnish)
  • 3 cups vegetable broth (I used low-sodium)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tsp garam masala (add slowly, to taste)
  • 1 tsp salt or to taste (you may have to reduce amt. if you used full-sodium broth)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • for garnish: garlic croutons, coconut milk, pesto, herbs, garam masala, pepper, etc.

1. Preheat oven to 400F and line 2 baking sheets with tin foil (note that parchment paper will burn). Grab a small casserole dish to place the garlic in. For how to prepare the garlic, see this tutorial. Lightly drizzle on EVOO onto onions and season onions and tomatoes with S & P. Roast for about 30 minutes and then check on the vegetables. You might have to remove the onions early as they cook the quickest. When the onions are golden and lightly blackened on the edge, you can remove them. Continue roasting the garlic for about 60 minutes or so (check it after 4 5mins), and the tomatoes for about 1 hour and 20 mins. Your oven times will vary though, so keep an eye on them!

2. Add 3 cups roasted tomatoes, 2 tbsp roasted garlic flesh, and all the onion into a large pot. Add coconut milk, tomato paste, and broth and stir well.

3. Stir in the seasonings and spices to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

4. Carefully transfer into a blender, processor, or use an immersion blender. Pulse for just a few seconds until chunky. You can also make it smooth, but I liked the texture. Serve immediately and garnish with reserved coconut milk, a sprinkle of garam masala, croutons/bread, and fresh black pepper.

IMG_2210-2

If you think that forgoing animal products means that you will never get to have a cream-based soup…think again! This soup was rich & creamy thanks to the coconut milk, but not weighed-down or heavy in any way.

It is super filling, but light at the same time.

How is that even possible?

I told you, your head will spin.

IMG_2213

You can use the leftover roasted tomato and garlic to make the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto for a pizza recipe I have coming up…it’s made with a crispy buckwheat and almond meal flatbread crust. Coming up!

IMG_2245

Oh and my new Fall-themed header is coming at ya, today or tomorrow.

Have a great start to your weekend!

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 23, 2011

This has my name ALL over it :D

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 23, 2011

This soup looks EPIC. So perfect for fall!
btw- I kinda want a snuggie. I won’t lie.

3 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove September 23, 2011

This looks so perfect for the Fall, although I’m not entirely sold on the coconut milk. Maybe soy milk?? Do you think that would work instead?

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

I do think the coconut milk is a main ingredient, but it might be ok with another non-dairy milk too.
In case you are wondering, the coconut flavour is very subtle in this soup.

5 Natalie Anne Lanoville July 5, 2014

Soymilk or almond milk would be fine I think, but honestly coconut milk is a natural pairing with tomato. I’m trying the recipe today (adding a wee bit of fresh ginger), can’t wait!

6 Andrea September 23, 2011

I’ve never been crazy about tomato soup, but the flavors in this look realllly good! I just may try it since I still have an over-abundace of tomatoes :)

And FYI, I’m not sure if you know this, but the link to the pesto takes you to a pdf of the pizza recipe!

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

opps, fixed it. Thanks :)

8 Heidi Oran September 23, 2011

This look so yum, can’t wait to try it. Had something similar at a restaurant recently but I’m guessing this will be 10x better!

9 Heather (heathers dish) September 23, 2011

The coconut is such an interesting addition but it sounds great! Definitely coming up on soup weather here too :)

10 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 23, 2011

holy sexy soup and snuggie, batman!!! I want that in meh belleh. Also, have you seen OPI espresso? I pinned it. I love it so much it hurts my heart.

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

No but I’ll have to check it out!

12 Lizzie September 23, 2011

Angela – why must you continue to taunt me at my desk with these delicious recipes that I can’t enjoy right now? :) I did make that pesto and it was SO good. I mixed it in with some whole wheat pasta for a dinner last weekend and then used it for a sandwich this week. Plus they have a lot of overripe toms at the farmers markets right now, that would otherwise go to waste. This soup looks SO good and it seems like the weather is going to be in favour of soup this weekend, so a batch might be in my future! :)

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

Glad you enjoyed the pesto :) I’ve made 4 batches so far heh.

14 Bev Weidner September 23, 2011

UH, I’m about to go scuba diving in that soup.

Seriously, I am.

15 robyn September 23, 2011

Those soup pictures look unbelievably deiicious! Wow,,,coconut ANYthing and it’s all good. I’ve got roma tomatoes on sale here and am going to buy a bunch to roast then try freezing for the winter for your AWEsome pesto recipe<3

16 Andrea @ Vegvacious September 23, 2011

Anything that includes roasted garlic is a winner in my book! This looks delish – I don’t use coconut milk very often so it will be good to try it out in a soup recipe!

17 Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 23, 2011

I’ve always wanted a snuggie! :)

That soup looks amazing!

18 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 23, 2011

Snuggies (or Slankets as I call them) should be burned! Must be because I’m warm-blooded… ;)

I’m shocked your sweet potato soup didn’t turn out! I need to dig out this recipe I have for a sweet potato rice curry soup and post it on my blog this week…it’s a lovely, gorgeous thing and perfect for this weather. I might make it with quinoa instead of rice this time.

LOL @ Bev scuba diving in the soup! Use a crouton as a flotation device! :)

19 Ashley September 23, 2011

I need (want?) to make this soup ASAP, but do not have Garam Masala. Do you have any suggestions on what indian spices to use as a replacement? Your roasted red pepper hummus recipe and roasted tomato basil pesto are my utlimate favourites. I have a feeling this one is going to be added to that list..

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011
21 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 23, 2011

Sounds lovely Ange!!! I could totally use some soup today with this dreary rain we’ve got. And maybe a snuggie…no wait… not quite. ;) Happy Friday!

22 Bre September 23, 2011

Angela,

I am making this soup ASAP this weekend, it looks like exactly what I want to eat right now! Also, I’m wondering where you got your smoothie glass with the built in straw? I’ve seen these on lots of blogs (many times on yours) and I want to get my hands on one. Thanks!

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

The glass straw is from Glass D’harma :)

24 kristin September 23, 2011

This looks amazing!
I’ve been following your blog for a couple of years now and made so many of your delicious dishes (which my husband has LOVED). I’ve noticed you’ve started doing a lot more gluten-free recipes. This is very convenient for me as I’ve recently (2 weeks ago) found out that I have a gluten intolerance. I was just curious as to the reason you were incorporating more gluten-free recipes.
Happy Friday!

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

Hey Kristin, I will be talking about the reasoning for this in my pizza recipe post.

26 Cat September 23, 2011

This soup looks amazing! I can’t wait to make it!

27 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 23, 2011

WOW! Roasted tomato and garlic sounds like an amazing combo!! With some crusty bread, I’d be happy all day long. Yum!! :)

28 Kristi September 23, 2011

Seriously, you always have the perfect recipe at the right time!! I have a TON of beautiful fresh tomatoes to use, and I was planning to make another batch of the pesto (which we adored) but I’m afraid that my neighbor’s gigantic basil plant (which has been keeping me supplied) most likely froze last night. I am going to make this tomorrow!

29 Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab September 23, 2011

that looks really good! I’m usually not a big fan of coconut in non-dessert foods, but I might give this a try, I love the combination of roasted tomatoes, onions and garlic!

30 Marcy September 23, 2011

I just so happen to have the leftover tomatoes from my double batch of roasted tomato pesto in the fridge…and a half a tin of coconut milk. I think this calls for a little half batch of soup!

31 Tonya September 23, 2011

Yummy, delicous, and inspriing post! You’ve accomplished something that has never happened before–you’ve gotten me excited about the cooler weather :-) Soup it is! Thanks!

32 Angela September 23, 2011

This is the sweet potato soup I make:

I love it. Totally worth having to clean the food processor after all the grating!

33 Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh September 23, 2011

OH my gosh!! That soup is calling my name!!! I will eat it in my snuggie!! haha jk I don’t own one…But seriously, that seems like the most warm and comforting soup!

34 Moni'sMeals September 23, 2011

I can assure you Ang, that I will be trying this soup! What a combo. I will let you know….

Love this Fall post, my favorite time too. :)

I look forward to your Fall Background next
and (love the snuggie pic!!)

35 Blythe September 23, 2011

This soup looks amazing…can’t wait to make it!!!! Omg…the dog looks hilarious…I have one of those snuggie thingies for my dog and she made the same face when we tried it on her!!

36 Willie Costello September 23, 2011

Can’t wait to try this!

And as it turns out, I’m planning on using your roasted tomato pesto for a pizza this weekend too! I’m excited to see how ours will compare!

37 Shannon ~ My Place In The Race September 23, 2011

I love that polish! I’m slightly obsessed with painting my nails :D

38 leslie September 23, 2011

angela, i am so excited about this recipe! what a perfect way to celebrate the end of tomato season. i can’t wait to make it!

39 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 23, 2011

Oh goodness, this is making me drool. I had a soup in mind for next week since it’s supposed to be pretty dreary and rainy, but I might make this one instead!

40 Jessica September 23, 2011

I know! Poor dog in the Snuggie! I am going to make this soup this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.

41 Holly @ The Runny Egg September 23, 2011

I love roasted tomatoes and with the weather getting cooler I am definitely on a soup mission this weekend.

For the record, I have a Snuggie and I love it. And if I had a dog I’d get one for him too!

42 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 23, 2011

Yum! I have yet to try a “roasted” theme soup this fall! Excellent idea! Haha sometimes I wish I had a snuggie, then I see picutures like this I know I am better off with a sweater :)

43 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy September 23, 2011

This looks fabulous! I want a bowl of that soup right now!! Fall is my very favorite season!

44 Danielle September 23, 2011

Your photos are always great on here but I LOVE the photo of the tomatoes being washed! The soup looks great too (duh) but I am so envious of how amazing your photography has gotten!

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

Thanks Danielle! I love the water effect…heh and do it as much as possible!

46 Emily September 23, 2011

It’s like you can read my mind- was just wondering what soup I’d make on my upcoming cozy Sunday. This looks AMAZING. You’re just instant cooking inspiration for me- thank you!

47 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama September 23, 2011

This looks absolutely amazing! Bookmarking immediately.

48 Liz @ Southern Charm September 23, 2011

I want/need this soup! I’m on some kind of crazy tomato kick! haha. Must have! Thanks for sharing!

49 janet @ the taste space September 23, 2011

Gah! I am speechless! I roasted tomatoes last night and now torn between making the pesto, this soup or baingan bharta. The obvious solution is just to roast more tomatoes!

Btw, if you want to give sweet potatoes another chance, this is an excellent curry:
Vanilla Sweet Potato and Kale Curry – it has coconut milk and garam masala, too

50 Leah @ Why Deprive? September 23, 2011

This looks amazing! I was just thinking yesterday that I’ve never tried making tomato soup before. I’m definitely making this on the weekend.

51 Geosomin September 23, 2011

mmm…I was just thinking I needed some fall coup for my lunches next week. Score :)

52 Andrea September 23, 2011

ZOMG! Your dog is super beautiful! Looks like a king charles spaniel with ruby colouring! Am I right?
Your soup sounds FANTASTIC too! I cant wait to try it, LOVE me my garlic!

53 Jenny @ Simply Be...me September 23, 2011

yum! sounds perfect for the cool evenings that are approaching fast. As for the failed sweet potato soup, I discovered after a few tries that I really don’t like cinnamon added to anything savory, it always makes food taste ‘off’ to me. Even regular roasted sweet potatoes, if they have cinnamon on them I won’t be eating them :)

54 Amber K September 23, 2011

You have a way of making even food I don’t like look totally inviting. That looks like the epitome of comfort food! And I totally have a cheap Snuggie on, it’s called a bathrobe that’s turned backwards ;)

55 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission September 23, 2011

The dog snuggie makes me giggle :D He looks like jabba the hut. Poor thing!
And this post is like a fallgasm. That soup looks so delicious and comforting, yet so chic.

56 Mama Pea September 23, 2011

So you know I mostly come up with my own recipes. But I just bookmarked this one. Yum.

57 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 23, 2011

This is so unique – looks amazing!

58 Rhona September 23, 2011

Looks really delicious and…I am not a lover of soup. I will have to try this though just because the flavors look complex and smokey.

59 Jessica@Glaze September 23, 2011

I am making this tonight if the store near me has coconut milk.

60 Heather @ The Wisch List September 23, 2011

Angela, this looks delish! Thanks for sharing.

61 Sush September 23, 2011

This soup looks wonderful! And yes, I am the proud owner of a leapord print snuggie =)

62 jenna September 23, 2011

ooo lala this looks amazing Angela!! so good!

63 Eat Hike Sleep Repeat September 23, 2011

When you bill it as the best homemade soup you have ever made, well! I can’t come to own a snuggie, but I do have a “onesy” – you know, with the arms, legs, feet and trap door! It’s now quite cold enough for that, but I am at my desk wrapped in a blanket, now dreaming of soup instead of focusing on work. Thanks!

64 Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather September 23, 2011

This look like major comfort food!

65 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 23, 2011

Coconut milk is such a cool addition! I would have never though to use that. Something about the fall scream tomato and roasted garlic. Maybe the cozy Italian-like smell? :)

66 Greta September 23, 2011

I don’t even like soup, and yet this looks completely wonderful. Also, I was wondering – did I miss something, or are you slowly turning gluten-free? You’ve been doing a lot of that (which I love, since I’m also doing it!), but I haven’t seen you writing about it. So, just curious. <3

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

Hey Greta, I will be writing about this in my pizza recipe post.

68 jackie hatch! September 23, 2011

love your pizzas cant wait!

69 Elisa September 23, 2011

How does this soup freeze?

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

Im sorry, but Im not sure.

71 MELISSA September 23, 2011

I am so making this. Like I wish I was in my kitchen right now, but I’m at work, stuck in front of my computer screen, drooling at your soup!!

72 laura September 23, 2011

I’ve been loving soups lately, esp. ones with coconut milk! So, ready for fall. & I am in need of a new OPI nailpolish. :)

73 Cherie September 23, 2011

Sounds delicious!
On a snuggie note, my son really wanted one, a few years ago, or so he thought. When it became clear that a snuggie was actually just a blanket with arms and that you couldn’t run around while wearing, some of the appeal was gone. So, we made him a giant fleece T-shirt style snuggie! Problem solved ;-).

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

haha that’s cute

75 Kirsty September 23, 2011

I have all the ingredients in…. I must make this…looks Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious xx

76 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 23, 2011

I love the idea of using coconut in a tomato soup…yum!

77 gia September 23, 2011

Omg! Agree with above comment, and I might be tempted to add lentils too. The roasting part is what realllllly appeals to me. I love the looks of this.

78 Alex September 23, 2011

Looks Delicious! How many pounds of tomatoes are needed for 3 cups of roasted tomatoes?

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

I’m not sure as I roasted 5 pounds and had leftovers…I *think* I had about 2 cups roasted tomatoes leftover. So I would say you need 3 pounds for 3 cups?

80 Katie September 23, 2011

This sounds delicious–I love the thought of a chunky soup with roasted tomato, garlic, and onions. But I have a question—can you taste the coconut in the coconut milk? I really dislike the flavor of coconut, though I’ve never tried coconut milk and I don’t know how strongly the flavor comes through when cooked in soup.

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

The taste of the coconut is there, but quite mild. The roasted veggies and garam masala are really the stars.

82 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 23, 2011

Wow that soup looks awesome! And know I know what all that roasted garlic was for!

Love it when recipes require no second trials, no second guessing…just work the first time around.

the roasted veggies look perfect and I’ve made some rice and casseroles with coconut milk,but not yet soup. Must try!

83 Kelsey September 23, 2011

I’m so glad it’s fall. I know I can eat soup any time of the year, but in the fall it just feels so much better!

84 sarah September 23, 2011

Mmmmm, I love Susan’s split pea/sweet potato soup at fatfreevegan. It has those warm indian spices. This looks equally yummy! Will have to try this soon!

85 Erin September 23, 2011

Yum – this looks amazing! I have been sick with a nasty cold/flu the past 2 1/2 weeks and needed a spicy fall soup to make me feel better. Like you, I hit it on the 1st try and it was fantastic. Basically it was quinoa, red lentils, onion, carrot, celery, lots of garlic & fresh ginger, curry powder, coconut milk, and finished with chopped tomatoes & cilantro. OMG it was perfect! Can’t wait to try your version :)

86 Tikva September 23, 2011

I am making it now as we speak. I’ve started the boil so it’s almost finished. It’s SOOOOO good. And I’ve never roasted all of these veggies. Learn something new :c)

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

enjoy!

88 booturtle September 23, 2011

This sounds amazing. I found it through Pinterest and cannot wait to try it. Thanks for sharing. And I look forward to poking around your blog a little more this weekend.

89 Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco September 23, 2011

Mmmmmmmm. Looks incredible! Thank you for leaving such a kind comment on my blog! You rock! ;)

90 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 23, 2011

That’s a bummer your sweet potato soup didn’t work out – it sounds like it could have been really good! But at least this one was successful. I love coconut milk based soups!

91 Rachel September 23, 2011

This is amazing and even though I’m heading into spring I will definitely make this soon. I have a delicious sweet potato and pumpkin recipe for soup that has a just the kick I think you are looking for : http://mthanded.blogspot.com/2009/03/curry-pumpkin-soup-and-home-made-bread.html . It’s an all time favourite abound here. Thanks for the recipe!

92 Jenn September 23, 2011

I made this tonight. WOW! It was delicious.

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it Jenn!

94 Magen September 23, 2011

JUST what I needed on a rainy Boston Friday night. Delicious. Thanks Angela!

95 Jenna September 23, 2011

That is quite possibly one of the most delicious looking soups that I have seen at all recently. Looks so warm and yummy.

96 Rhonda September 23, 2011

Your soup looked so good I had to stop on the way home for more tomatoes… first the garlic smelled amazing, then the soup!! I have a new favourite soup, thanks for the recipe Angela – I am now patiently waiting for your cookbook :)

97 Alexis @ hummusapien September 23, 2011

All I can say is YUM!

98 jenna September 23, 2011

I love your love of Fall! I can’t get enough pumpkin! The soup looks amazing, and your pizza looks like one I made tonight. I added black olive tapenade :)

99 Heather September 23, 2011

Angela! Are you a mind reader? I think you are. My boyfriend and I went for Indian food today and we talked about how we wanted to make a new Indian inspired dish. I think we found our winner. Thank you!!!

Stay lovely,
Heather

100 Ellie@fitforthesoul September 24, 2011

haha! I always feel like she’s reading my “food” mind too!

101 Heather September 24, 2011

Glad to hear I’m not alone! (;

102 Hannah September 24, 2011

Oh my gosh! I totally bought a Snuggie back in June, the middle of Australia’s winter…. and I never even opened the packaging it was posted in!! Now I have to wait for next Winter…

103 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts September 24, 2011

I really like sweet potato and chilli soup…but as an alternative, this looks rather good :)

104 Katrina September 24, 2011

Yummmm! Love this!

105 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner September 24, 2011

Yay for snuggies! I have the cheetah print one. :)

106 Virtually Vegan Mama September 24, 2011

I’m LOVING the look of this soup…I will be making this one!

xoxo

Jen =)

107 emma September 24, 2011

Oh my! That soup looks delicious! Such a wonderful flavour combination. Tonights dinner perhaps :-)

108 Laura September 24, 2011

Just making this! I cannot wait to try it. I roasted extra tomatoes for use in a sweet potato, kale, peanut butter soup to use instead of canned one. I bet it will make that soup taste even better than it normally does! Thanks for the idea.

109 Alex @ Raw Recovery September 24, 2011

Sounds like a lot of interesting flavors, but it looks good!

110 Jessica September 24, 2011

OMG This sounds like a fabulous kick start to fall recipe! :)

111 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! September 24, 2011

Mmmmmm that soup looks so delicious!!!! I love pureed soups!

112 Casey September 24, 2011

OMG! the snuggieee!!! ahahah my dog actually has one…dont worry though, it was a gift from another family. Plus he doesn’t wear it b/c it makes his fur blue haha

113 Lulu September 24, 2011

I love the idea of your soup but I am allergic to coconut. Would you recommend just cream instead if I needed to leave out the coconut milk?

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011

Cream would work or probably almond milk since it’s creamy too.

115 Emilia @ Namaste Gurl September 24, 2011

Love all the flavors and textures of this soup– indian meets italian? This looks like a super comforting fall type soup and I can most definitely see why. Perfect for the ending season of tomatoes, but incoming of fall :) Coconut milk based soups are the best comfort food!

116 Ellie@fitforthesoul September 24, 2011

Mmm amazing recipe!!! I love these kinds of foods–in fact, it inspires me to go ahead and eat the leftover Indian for lunch! Wait, that didn’t sound right…”leftover indian food” haha. This puts me in a giddy Fall mood! <33 Have a great day~

117 Stephanie September 24, 2011

This looks delicious! Also, LOVE your new fall header!

118 Vanessa September 24, 2011

i am dying to make this!

119 Mai September 24, 2011

oh! i like this new header a LOT.

120 Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 24, 2011

Oh yum! I love tomato soup and the idea of adding coconut is just perfect. Thanks!

121 Annalisa September 24, 2011

Ha ha — for a minute I thought that was your family and thought “wow, they are really hardcore into their snuggies!” Love the soup recipe! SmittenKitchen did a tomato soup recipe this week and topped hers with some toast/shaved onion/cheese which i might have make these two recipes come together. Your spice combo sounds yummy! Happy fall!

122 Therese September 24, 2011

LOVE the new header! Have you leaves turned that much already this year?

123 Maria Laura September 24, 2011

Greetings from Argentina, Angela!!! I can’t recall how i found your blog, but i’ve been a huge fan ever since I first read it. I’ve been a Vegan for 11 years now, and let me tell you how talented you are to me (I guess you’ve heard this before). Unfortunately, in Patagonia, near the end of the world, many of the ingredients you use in your recipes don’t even exist and my country is basically a meat eater one, so i’m kind of struggling here :-) Anyway, I just wanted to leave a comment telling you I admire your cooking, Hugs again
Laura

124 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011

Hey Laura! Nice to meet you :) Thanks for your kind words about the blog. Sorry to hear about the ingredients…I can imagine how difficult that could be in some places. All the best, Angela

125 Tiffany September 24, 2011

Hi Angela, just wondering if you think adding some red lentils would be good in the soup? This soup already looks so amazing, but I was thinking that adding lentils might make it more filling? Or would you recommend that? It does already look perfect! Thanks for the terrific recipes. :)

126 Lindsay September 24, 2011

I love the new header. It looks so warm and inviting. I always find the snuggie commercials to be hilarious, esp because they have one for the dog. I do have one though. Leopard print. Unfortunately I don’t get to bust it out yet because here in Texas it is still ridiculously hot.

127 janice September 24, 2011

I just made a batch of the “Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup”, all I can say is YUMMO!
I did make one change in the recipe b/c the only garam masala I had in my spice drawer was “spicy”.
I liked it so much I made a second batch, sent some home with a friend then e-mailed a link to your recipe.

128 Lara @TresLaLa September 24, 2011

That poor dog is right! Yikes! Loving the new header! And the soup looks awesome!

129 Candace September 24, 2011

This was delicious! I had a question though, roasting the tomatos destroyed my pans. The juices burnt before my tomatos roasted making it difficult to get them off and difficult to clean my pans. Any advice? Oh, and do you think I could remove the seeds?…it was just a little seedy for me

130 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011

Did you use tin foil to line the pan? I find that worked for me with little mess.
As for the seeds, you can use a fine sieve.

131 Shontill September 24, 2011

I’m making this right now. My house smells wonderful. Can’t wait to eat!!!

132 Alicia September 24, 2011

I don’t have time to read your new post but I LOVE your new header, super cute!

133 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. September 24, 2011

Oh it ALL looks so good!

134 Lilly September 24, 2011

Hi Angela, I love your blog and recipes, even though i’m not vegan!
I was just wondering if you have closed your bakery, or is it still running?

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2011

Yes, it’s still running!

136 Alexandria Lewis September 24, 2011

Perfectly delicious! Made this tonight and it was wonderful!

137 michelle September 24, 2011

My husband bought me a snuggie last xmas and I hated the feeling of the material – I just don’t get them! This soup looks ridiculously good, making it this week.

138 Kalie September 24, 2011

I think this one may be worth risking my life to try! Yes, I am allergic to coconut but i dont care I am trying this!!!!!!! ;)

139 Kristina Lekin September 24, 2011

I just made this – my house smells amazing and it tastes divine! Awesome work, Angela.

Sending love from Waterloo,
Kristina

140 Jessica September 24, 2011

OMG, I made this tonight and it was SO FREAKING GOOD. My husband and I both agreed that it was one of the best soups we’d ever eaten.

I had one minor problem- I didn’t peel my tomatoes, because it doesn’t appear from the recipe or pictures that you did, but I was not a fan of the tough little skin bits. Perhaps this only became a problem for me because I pureed mine until smooth- maybe since you left yours chunkier, the skin didn’t separate from the tomato chunks? Anyway, next time I will skin the tomatoes first.

Because, oh, yes, there will be a next time. Quite possible tomorrow, because, Holy Cow, amazing. Seriously. Thank you for this recipe.

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it!
If you want it super smooth you can use a fine sieve to strain it out. Enjoy! :)

142 cat @ cat's belly fat cure September 24, 2011

I have been looking for a fall nail polish color that I love….that one is definitely it. I’m gonna go searchin for that one. Your soup looks delish too. :)

143 Gulcan September 25, 2011

I love your new Autum header!! Colour combination gives such warm positive feelings. Great! :)

144 LizAshlee September 25, 2011

What a delicious and hearty soup!! YUM!

145 Jenn V. September 25, 2011

Angela, I’m right there with you on the awesomeness that is fall! This soup looks delicious and I can’t wait to make it. By any chance have you found or do you have your own really good cream of vegetable soup recipe? I’ve looked online and in my cookbooks but haven’t found anything that screamed to me. Thought I’d ask. Thanks!

146 Jayne September 25, 2011

Not only did I make this delicious soup but I’d like to paint my nails with this color! Do you know the name Angela?

147 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2011

Hey! I think the link that I embedded says the name of the OPI colour (something with William in the name if I remember correctly!)

148 Ali September 25, 2011

Delicious soup! Just what I needed to start fall off right!!

149 Verena September 25, 2011

I made this soup last night and it was delicious! However, might I add that not every blender can blend the soup. We have a high power blender of really good quality but when I turned it on it basically exploded out the top and I burned my hands! So just a little warning :)

150 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2011

yikes! Sorry that happened to you. I will add into the directions to blend it in batches.

151 Hola October 22, 2011

Stupid ass. Common sense should have kicked in right before you pressed that button to blend everything, but it seems you might be lacking it. Then stupidity obviously takes over when the thought of blaming the accident on your blender and not on yourself when you clearly should have placed the appropriate lid on it. Then stating your misfortune to everyone only supports why your new nickname is stupid ass.

152 Catie September 25, 2011

I just made this soup and it was awesome! You’re right, the flavors really mix well together. Thanks for another great recipe!

153 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 25, 2011

The soup looks delish! I am going to book mark this and make it this weeks!!!

154 Nic@diningwithastud September 25, 2011

Love the addition of coconut milk. This soup would also make a good cold soup. Perfect for an Oz Spring :)

155 Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve September 25, 2011

I just made this tonight! So delicious! I’ve recently gone gluten-free too, so I made some socca (chickpea flour bread) to go with it. I highly recommend socca if you are trying out gluten-free. This is how I made it:

1 cup chickpea flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (280ml) water
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided

Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes in an oiled bread pan or a 10 or 12 inch pizza pan. There are tons of sources out there for baking/broiling/pan frying socca, so I suggest you check them out! It can be made savory or sweet.

156 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011

That sounds really good! I haven’t tried Socca yet.

157 Dalai Lina September 25, 2011

Question: You say roast 5 lbs of tomatoes and then say use 3 cups of roasted tomatoes – do you have a lot left over or are you using all of the roasted tomatoes?

158 Dalai Lina September 27, 2011

BTW, I made it today, and I did end up using all the tomatoes…and it was totally delicious!!!

159 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011

Yes there were leftovers (I put that into the directions and said that I used leftovers for my pesto) =) Glad it worked out for you!!

160 Jen {The Wholehearted Life} September 26, 2011

The soup looks and sounds amazing and I don’t even (usually) like tomato soups! I can’t wait to surprise my husband with this :).

161 anne September 26, 2011

I made the soup and it was super yummy! thanks :)

162 Whitney September 26, 2011

Ooooo, this looks FABULOUS! Do you think it would work well “pumped up” with a whole grain of some kind?

Do you think rice, orzo, lentils… or what? might be best for a more complete “meal in one”?

I can’t wait to try this! YUM! Thanks as always, Angela!

163 Tonya September 26, 2011

I made a smaller batch of this Saturday and I’m eating the leftovers for lunch today. Delicous. The fragrance of roasted vegetables filled the whole house. I used the leftover roasted garlic in a lentil burger recipe. So YUM!

164 Krista September 27, 2011

This soup was so wonderfully amazing, and exactly what I needed to soothe my soul after a stressful last few days. I am fairly new to OSG, but have been going crazy making so many of you delicious recipes these last few weeks. You are truly a master of your craft. Thank you!

165 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2011

yay, glad you enjoyed it! Hope your week calms down. Thanks for your kind words about the blog!

166 Kinsey September 27, 2011

Just got finished making :) AMAMZING! I cannot decide if the taste or the smell of my house is better?! Btw I roasted extra garlic and made a garlic sauce to top my kelp noodles for dinner tonight= SOO decious, thanks.

167 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 27, 2011

Thank God you posted this recipe!! I have an obscene amount of tomatoes to use after growing a whole bunch of them this summer. This is the perfect recipe to use them up, especially since soup is my ultimate comfort food.

168 Cindy Robinson September 28, 2011

I finally made this last night after burning my first batch of garlic, then shattering my casserole dish by setting it on the pan that had the tomatoes on it. Ever get the feeling that you just weren’t supposed to make a dish somedays? But I kept on, and roasted some more tomatoes & garlic and made the final product last night! Sooo good! We also made your croutons to put on top, my 3 year old helped (in between bites of the chunked bread). This was our first time branching out with spices (garam masala) and I loved it and husband liked it. Will definitely make again!

169 Maya September 28, 2011

Oh my gosh I love all these ingredients :) It looks delicious. If it ever cools down in TX (almost October and still getting past 100…) I am definitely making this.

Also, I’m sure you already have a recipe for this somewhere- but I made a vegan spicy queso yesterday and I think you’d like it. It’s posted on my blog if you have any interest, no worries if you don’t!

170 Wendy September 28, 2011

I made it, and it was delicious!
It’s taken the no. 1 slot in My Favorite Soups (and your Carrot Apple Ginger goes to no. 2 now).
The only bummer for me is that it didn’t make a whole lot; those tomatoes really turn into nuthin once you blend them. Next time I’ll add even more tomatoes, roast them even more, and add even more coconut milk (incidentally, I wasn’t clear, from the recipe, how much to use, where I live there are only bottles of coconut milk, not cans).

I can’t wait to make this again!

171 Wendy October 3, 2011

I made it a second time, with more tomatoes and more coconut milk, and it was even better. YUMMMMMMM. Best soup evar.

172 Ruth September 29, 2011

This is the stuff. The. Stuff. I had to put it in the freezer or I would have eaten the whole pot.

173 carolyn September 1, 2014

I know this post is so old, but I’m wondering if the soup froze well? I’m trying to use all the tomatoes from my garden before they go bad, so I’m stocking my freezer! Thanks!

174 Ruth September 1, 2014

If I remember correctly, it was as good after thawing it. I’m glad you commented here so that I remembered this recipe!

175 Tessa September 29, 2011

I feel like the Augustus Gloop of tomato soup. Yummm

176 Jessica October 1, 2011

I put some swiss chard in a blender with some fresh basil and through it in the soup for an extra nutritional punch. So delicious. I am very impressed with this recipe. Thanks so much for such a great whole foods plant based blog!

177 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011

Thats a great idea!

178 Jessica October 1, 2011

Ha. *Threw it into the soup. Sorry for the typo.

179 Nina October 1, 2011

My first thought after trying the broth for this soup was Holy Crap! Hands down one of the beat soups I’ve ever made! It has gained a permanent spot in my recipe rotation. Thanks Angela!

180 CHELSEA October 2, 2011

We jjust made this soup and are in awe of how fantastic it is! New to your website and you’re batting 1 for 1. This would be a great gift to someone if you fill a mason jar full of prepared soup along with a pkg of homemade tika marsala and a copy of the recipie. LOVE IT!!

181 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 2, 2011

Hey Chelsea, That’s great you enjoyed the soup! :) I also laughed reading “1 for 1” ;)

182 Marianne October 8, 2011

It’s weird – I’m not a tomato person. I don’t like them in my salads or sandwiches; on pasta or pizza. But I do like a good tomato soup. I’ve never made one from scratch, but I love the idea of roasting the tomatoes for the soup – I can only imagine the depth of flavour that would bring. Definitely saving this recipe…too bad tomato season is basically over :(

183 Rose Chilibeck October 25, 2011

I just made this amazing soup and it is seriously the most delicious soup I have ever made!! I was going to freeze some but can’t stop eating it! I will be making it again and again!! Thank you for this recipe and I will be making your other creations as well!! :)

184 melissa November 9, 2011

I must say when I saw this recipe I was thinking first of all what on earth is Garam Masala and how are tomatoes with coconut milk going taste good together? I’ve made a few other things from your site such as the roasted tomato basil pesto-which i freaking love and overnight oats, so I held you in high regards. Without any disappointment I gobbled this down like I hadn’t eaten anything in days, truly a unique flavor combo and I love it! So thank you for 1. cooking healthy things that actually taste good and 2. for introducing me to new things I’ve never heard of before :)
(nutritional yeast has become my newest staple)
Cheers,
~Melissa

185 Jacquie November 20, 2011

Angela,Angela,Angela!
This soup/bisque is TO DIE FOR! Your recipes are superb,delicious and healthy all in one!
I am having so much fun perusing this blog for interesting things to make without the guilt of eating them! Keep ’em coming! Talent at it’s best!!

186 Faye May 22, 2012

keep forgetting to post on how amazing this recipe is! So simple and so easy! I’m not a tomato fan and I could actually eat this with the depth of flavor this soup contains. Plenty left over for freezer. I don’t care it’s getting warmer. Going to make this again in the next few days. SO good!

187 Kathie Harnest August 25, 2012

I have to tell you that I thought that this soup sounded so good that I doubled the recipe. It was beyond good….it was AMAZING! Best soup I have ever tasted! Today I heated the leftovers that I had and added red & yellow peppers and some spinach and served it over whole wheat pasta. To die for!!! Definitely a keeper! Thank you!

188 Liz September 1, 2012

I make this soup all the time. Love it!

189 Bec September 2, 2012

Made a big batch of this today and canned it. Now I have some ready and waiting when I don’t feel like cooking this winter.

190 susan September 12, 2012

Can this soup be canned in a hot water bath?

191 Ryoung September 12, 2012

Very good but in my opinion WAY WAY WAY too much garam masala. I only used 1/2 the amount and it’s still all I can taste. I had to roast more tomatoes to cut down the flavor of the garam masala and yet I still think it’s too much. I’ll have to see what my husband thinks when he gets home.

192 lahealthyliving September 19, 2012

Looks Amazing! For sure making it this week especially since it includes coconut milk!!!!

193 Sam September 20, 2012

Oh I made this soup today for a party at work and it was such a hit! I was a little leary of the coconut milk with tomatoes but I went with it and I am so glad I did! Only problem was there wasn’t enough because everyone wanted seconds :) This is one I will do regularly because it just rocks.

194 erika September 25, 2012

I just made this! I actually didn’t roast the vegetables – my cat has been hiding under the oven, so I’m afraid to use it in case he runs under there – but I just sauteed the tomatoes, garlic, and onions on the stovetop and then made the soup as directed and it turned out amazing! I love it!

195 Nathalie September 26, 2012

Eating it right now… AMAZING! One of the best soup in my life!!

196 Dana October 10, 2012

I made this soup last night and absolutely loved it! I had leftover lentils and quinoa so I added a few spoonfuls to the soup and it just took it to whole new stratosphere! Definitely making this again. And again.

197 Laura October 11, 2012

One of the best soups I have ever eaten, and SO EASY to make!! I am slowly transitioning to a vegan diet, and the depth of flavor and creaminess in this soup was just to die for. Even my meat-n’-dairy-lovin’ husband gobbled it up! Thanks for your wonderful blog, and for sharing your fresh, delicious, accessible recipes.

198 ellen October 18, 2012

Making it for the second time today – absolutely delish! Has become a new fav in our house especially with the bushels of roma tomatoes from our harvest. Thanks so much!

199 Stacey October 21, 2012

Holy cow, just made this soup, and it is absolutely amazing!! Thankyou for providing so many delish recipes on your blog!

200 Sue October 30, 2012

I made this last night and all I can say is wow! Easy to make and so so beautiful! I am going to be making this again and again.

201 Kelly November 8, 2012

WOW….
I just made this for dinner tonight…
This was amazing!!!
A cold rainy evening in the California mountains with a fire and
this delicious soup made for a perfect evening…
Highly recommend anyone making this soup.
I had some pumpkin seeds I had not yet roasted from Halloween so
I roasted them and sprinkled them on top! Perfect addition… :)
Thanks so much Angela…love, love, love your recipes!

202 Tracy November 11, 2012

FYI, made this soup and it’s true, it is DELICIOUS. There also isn’t a coconut flavour (which I was worried might not be ideal…).

203 Sierra November 19, 2012

lol. I just made this and it turned into chicken tika masala (which I’ve wanted to learn how to make forever). It tastes fabulous! Thanks for the recipe :)

204 Michelle November 23, 2012

Hi Angela, thank you for sharing this recipe. It looks amazing. I am making it for a dinner party tomorrow evening. Do you think it’s ok to make it the day before?

205 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

Yes I do. I hope it went well!

206 Michelle December 3, 2012

This soup was the highlight of the dinner party – thank you! I will definitely make it again.

207 Carole - FlowerTowne December 1, 2012

My husband and I made this soup together, at our cottage, in Sudbury Ontario. We roasted the vegetables in our fire burning cookstove. Hallelujah! All I can say is that I believe you have truly found your calling. You are truly an inspiration Angela. By the way, we also made desert…Chilled Double Chocolate Torte!
It’s a good feeling when you know exactly what you are supposed to do in your life. I know I do. You can see my work here – http://www.facebook.com/flowertownesudbury
God Bless!

208 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2012

You work is so beautiful Carole. Thanks for sharing! I’m so happy you enjoyed the recipes.

209 Carole - FlowerTowne December 2, 2012

Thank you Angela, and yes, your recipes are fabulous! Bon Appetite!

210 Lauren February 9, 2013

I just made this today. So good! I couldn’t figure out what was better: the smell in the house or the actual soup. Perfect with bread for dipping. Thanks for the great recipe!

211 Heidi February 12, 2013

I just made this since our winter is wrapping up down here in Louisiana and I am so sad I haven’t been making this all winter! It is delicious! It’s my new favorite! My other is the Holiday Soup with the red quinoa. I think it’s the spices that make these soups so special! The depth of flavor in both is wonderful! Thank you!!

212 Kelly March 7, 2013

Absolutely delish! And everyone at work says it smells great… only problem… I wasn’t paying attention and did two TBS of the Garam Masala… oops! :)

213 Crissy March 10, 2013

Amazing! I just made this and the pesto today and they are both BRILLIANT! I am very much enjoying them both for dinner at this moment. Thank you for the awesome recipe! I will definitely be making this again :-D

214 Lacey March 31, 2013

I just made this for dinner (it’s Autumn in the southern hemisphere). It was delicious – thanks so much!

215 Jessica March 31, 2013

Tried this soup for easter dinner appy and it was so amazing! The awesomeness started when i was roasting the tom, garlic and onion in the oven and it smelt devine but the best part was eating it. So amazing. Thank you for sharing the great recipe.

*Also made the veg shepards pie and chik choc cupcakes. was a hit. Thanks :)

216 ashlee May 16, 2013

Wow! So yummy! I added some fresh Thai basil to this and it turned out really well! Your blog is amazing Angela! Every recipe I’ve tried has turned out perfectly so far…love it!

217 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2013

So glad to hear that Ashlee! Thanks for letting me know :)

218 Ashly May 26, 2013

Hi,
I was just wondering if I have to use roma tomatoes, could I use the field ones instead? thanks recipe looks delicious and so does the pesto.

219 Rhoda May 30, 2013

I made this for supper last night and everyone in the house came floating into the kitchen on the heavenly smells of roasting tomatoes, garlic and onions. Sooo delicious and easy to make. Another hit Angela! Thanks for such great recipes!

220 Violine June 5, 2013

Thank you so much for this delicious recipe ! I was searching how to do an original tomato soup and that is a jackpot ! And I also tried your chilled double chocolate torte for a friend’s dinner : no one would have guessed it was vegan and there was nothing left ! Thanks a lot and I love your blog !

221 Kristi Dodson-Skinkis July 3, 2013

What kind of coconut milk do you use, the canned or the kind in the cooler section? I am excited to try this recipe! I have a ton of tomato plants, all colors! I want to try this recipe with white tomatoes. It is still early in summer. I hate to see the summer go, especially in the far north. This is one thing I have to look forward to. Also do you know if you are able to can this recipe?

222 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 3, 2013

I use the canned coconut milk (non-refrigerated) :) enjoy!

223 Kristin July 7, 2013

We made this last night and it is unbelievable! It really does make your head explode!

224 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2013

haha I love that visual! ;) glad u enjoyed it Kristin!

225 Kalina July 16, 2013

Angela, I have been reading your posts for well over a year now but have never felt the need to comment. I made this recipe for my mom and me for lunch today and it was amazing. We fell in love! :)

226 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2013

Hey Kalina, Oh thank you for your lovely comment! So happy you enjoyed it. We must be on the same wavelength because I made this soup today also!

227 Kalina July 16, 2013

What a coincidence! I’m in Florida and a tropical storm is moving through so we’ve had rain all week. :/ Fortunately, the weather was perfect for soup, so thank you again for the lovely recipe. :)

228 Brad Brickley July 27, 2013

We’ve been making the change to vegitarian and came across your site while surfing for recipes. I saw this soup and thought it looked good, so I bookmarked it.
I just made it today and its delicious! Full bodied and tasty! The trick for me on making the change to a vegitarian diet is finding recipes that are tasty and leave you satisfied. I can’t just eat salads all the time, I’d fall off the wagon that way. My wife has done a great job of finding meals that satisfy and now I’ve found one here. Thanks!
P.S. I’ll be making the pesto meal with my extra tomatoes I roasted, I’m sure it’ll be good too!

229 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 29, 2013

Hey Brad, So glad you enjoyed the soup! Thanks for your comment…hope u enjoy many more to come :)

230 Debbie August 21, 2013

Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup–Delicious! I did not have the garam masala on hand, but it was still excellent without it. I would recommend this soup to anyone, vegan or otherwise. I’m a relatively new vegan, who has been looking for some meals that don’t leave me feeling deprived. I believe this site has ended my search. THANKS!!

231 Lindsay August 22, 2013

How has it taken me so long to make this!? DELICIOUS.

232 Maria August 25, 2013

Oh, my… it has been too long..! This is such a delicious recipe, I keep stuffing it in my face (luckily I thought of pouring a portion in a container for later use). Taste is very personal, but I’d like to share a way of prepping the onion to make digestion easier – I know a lot of people suffering from bloating and gas after a meal with onions – and that is… puff your onion! Just shove it whole in the oven, 45 min on 180C/350F, let cool and there you have it :) let cool and peel, ah…

Thanks for sharing Ange! The broth is definitely mindblowing..!

233 Ady Mascari September 15, 2013

We made this today. This soup is perfect – my husband says it’s totally restaurant-worthy. I’m a two month old baby vegan and your website has helped me so much! This is not nearly as overwhelming as I thought it would be, but a great deal of that is because of blogs like yours. Thank you!

234 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 16, 2013

Hey Ady, I’m so happy you are enjoying the recipes! Best wishes :)

235 sandra October 6, 2013

Hello, this soup sounded so scrumptious that I had to make it immediately. Unfortunately it was not as great as I imagined it to be. I added only 1 1/2 tsp of garam masala and it was super spicy(a little too much for my taste). did I do something wrong? 3 cups of roasted tomatoes, 2 TBS of roasted garlic, 2 tbs of tomato paste, 15 ounce can of coconut milk, salt and pepper and 3 cups of veggie broth.

236 Julie Mokhtar October 15, 2013

Hi Angela!

This was THE perfect soup recipe to christen my spankin’ new hand blender! It turned out absolutely amazing and am now contemplating making my second batch already. Thanks so much for this genius creation, and also for introducing me to the wonders of roasted garlic! I’ve posted about my attempt at making the soup on my blog, hope that’s okay! Here’s the link for your reference: http://iammadetomove.blogspot.com/2013/10/attempting-oh-she-glows-creamy-roasted.html

Cheers!
Julie

237 Ryane October 16, 2013

Made this soup last night….it is SOOOOOO yummy! Big hit with the hubby.

238 Jennifer October 17, 2013

This looks so yummy. In order to get some protein, have you ever tried to add cooked red lentils to this soup after blending? We made your Red Lentil, Tomato and Kale soup a few nights ago. It put me in my happy place and my carnivorous husband consumed two bowls! :-)

239 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 18, 2013

Hey Jennifer, I haven’t added red lentils to this soup, but I’m sure it would be a nice way to boost protein. :)

240 Brittany October 31, 2013

Thank you for this amazing recipe–I have it bookmarked on my phone, and it’s my go-to soup recipe! I’m making it for my company’s soup cookoff next week, and my husband is demanding that I make a second batch for him as well :)

241 Hilary November 10, 2013

I just made this and OMG it is awesome!!!!!! I would love to see a post on your top 10 or top 5 favourite soups of all time … either your own recipes or others too!!

242 Laura November 23, 2013

Great soup. Loved this!

243 Chelsea November 24, 2013

My tomatoes are roasting as we speak! Can’t wait! Your pics are always such a great help, thank you! Ill let you know how the soup comes out!

244 Patti December 12, 2013

This is excellent! I have made it numerous times for different people and everyone loves it. It doesn’t taste like coconut, but the milk is the perfect foil for the tomatoes.
it is SO rich, and oh! It makes an excellent tortilla soup too!

245 Dev December 15, 2013

Hi Angela,

I’m an avid reader of your blog, but this recipe was just too too spicy for my tastebuds. I put in the required two teaspoons of garam masala, but it tasted like 2 TABLESPOONS!! I suggest that anyone trying this recipe (which I loved, except for the spice) should reduce the garam masala or add more coconut milk. Don’t let your tastebuds get burned the way mine did!

Thanks,
Dev

P.S. This was great with brown rice!

246 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2013

Hi Deb, Thanks for your feedback! I’ll make a note in the recipe to add to taste :) I’m sure different brands of garam can differ in intensity.

247 April January 12, 2014

Hi, first time here. Made the awesome tomato, garlic, onion, coconut soup. It was amazing. I am going to make it again this week. Thank you

248 Gail February 9, 2014

Just made this soup. I’m not vegan but this soup could induce me to be! So very easy and tasty…and I don’t even like tomato soup as a rule. The coconut milk made it super. I used Mae Ploy which is a 19 oz. can. Not wishing to waste a cup of vegetable broth I added the entire 1 qt. box to the soup and then threw in another tablespoon of tomato paste. The soup was thick and rich. First time I have used garam masala but I used the full two teaspoons and it is fabulous. I think this recipe could easily be adapted to a basil flavored soup also. Going to try the pesto next – I used the entire 5 lbs of tomatoes in the soup so will just have to roast more. Thanks for the great recipe, can’t wait to share with friends.

249 Andrea February 9, 2014

I made this soup tonight!!! Really really good!!! This soup is a keeper :D Thank you!

250 Tara Mundow March 11, 2014

This looks amazing!! But before I got out and buy 5pounds of tomatoes, is that right??? It seems like an awful lot? Its 2.2 kg conversion….
Dying to make the soup!

251 Stephanie April 10, 2014

Hello there,

I was thinking of making this soup, however I don’t want to make extra for a pesto. I was wondering how much tomatoes and garlic would be enough to roast just for the soup? I’m sorry if this is a bit of a silly question, but I am a beginner!

Thanks,
Stephanie Gouliaras

252 Chelsea April 15, 2014

I made this soup last night. OMG IT WAS SO GOOD. I ate 5 bowls. I couldn’t stop. IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!

253 Sarah April 16, 2014

Wow is all I really have to say about this recipe!! It’s fantastic!! This morning I had a soup craving and stumbled across your blog while looking for a recipe. I’m newly vegan so it’s very exciting. When I saw this recipe I NEEDED to make it.now as I sit here in the midst of a storm, feeling like a big fat pregnant whale, stressing about my unfinished assignment, this soup has just made my day sooo much better. I’ll definitely be back for more recipes!! What a cool blog.

254 Erin April 18, 2014

This looks amazing.Right now I’m on a special short-term detox diet and I can’t have anything with milk. I’m looking for things to make and I’d love to give this a try. Do you think I could blend up some white beans in a blender to make the creamy texture instead of using coconut milk? I know it will loose the coconut flavor but do you think beans are a good substitute? I have used them in other soups to create a thicker, creamier texture. Or could I use almond milk?

255 Marta May 22, 2014

I have cooked it and it was very good. Thanks for recipe. I am only sorry, that my husband doesn’t like it…

256 Erena DiGonis May 23, 2014

This may be more of a fall recipe, but I just stumbled across it and want it now! Thanks for sharing!

257 Dawn August 23, 2014

I’ve enjoyed so many of your recipes but this is my first time commenting. This soup is AMAZING! I had a pile of gorgeous heirloom tomatoes on my counter. I roasted them, along with the onions and garlic, and I can’t stop eating this soup. Have you tried freezing it? I’d love to tuck some away for fall.

258 Amy September 15, 2014

Hi! How fluid many ounces/milliliters is a can of coconut milk? Thanks!

259 Trish November 2, 2014

Can this be frozen ok?

260 Trish November 3, 2014

I made this yesterday and it’s almost gone. This was a really flavorful, comforting soup on a cold evening. Came together quickly. The only thing that I didn’t like was the skin from the tomatoes in the soup. Anyone else have that problem? I could peel them next time, but I’d prefer to leave them on for nutritional reasons. I blended the soup more to try to get rid of it and it helped somewhat. Other than that, this was a great soup!

261 Jessica November 4, 2014

I tried to make this tonight but I had to change up the recipe because I didn’t have the right tomatoes or garam masala. I used regular tomatoes that turned out so juicy I actually just left out one cup of vegetable stock and I threw in a bunch of different spices in place of the garam masala. I think next time if I use regular tomatoes again I’ll increase the onions and use more coconut milk in place of vegetable broth (because mmm the coconut milk really made it for me). This is probably even more amazing if you have all the right ingredients! Thank you soooo much for this recipe!

262 Angela November 12, 2014

Just made this soup for my husband for dinner – HOME RUN! What an amazing recipe. I’ll be using this in the future fo sho.

263 Mary December 14, 2014

This soup is INCREDIBLE, it embodies everything I love about your recipes and vegan cooking in general. A few simple ingredients, prepared with care and combined in the right way = VEGAN BLISS

264 Amy Salomone January 1, 2015

Just wanted to let you know that this soup is epic! Easily my favorite soup of all time! I am making it right now. Happy New Year!

265 Christine F January 1, 2015

The roasted tomato soup is absolutely delicious and so simple to make! Thank you Angela for your inspired recipes that are so jam packed with flavour and nutrition!
Christine from Calgary

266 KK January 6, 2015

Hi Angela! I’ve made about 3 of your soups in 1 week after I purchased your book! I’d love to make this — but I would like to add some proteins. Would you recommend adding some type of a bean (lentil? chickpeas?) I’m slightly obsessed with extra chunky soups. Thanks!

267 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2015

I’d recommend chickpeas as they tend to go nicely with tomato soups.

268 Linda February 3, 2015

This was the best tomato soup I have ever tasted. Made a lot of soup and freezes very well.
It was so good I had it over pasta on night, added orzo to the soup another night. Thank you for such excellent recipes. All I can say is YUM!

269 Chenoa February 4, 2015

Can you freeze this soup? Looks incredible!

270 Debbie February 18, 2015

EXCELLENT!!!
This soup tastes like it was made in a 5 star restaurant. It is rich, robust and extremely flavorful, thank you for this post.
Next recipes to try:
Detox Tabbouleh, Happy Digestion Smoothie (have a fresh pineapple calling to me) and Pumpkin Pie.
Once again THANX :)

271 Carole G February 23, 2015

I have a group of 8 friends and we have a monthly supper club gathering rotating hosts each time. In addition to having it at their home the host plans the entire menu and puts out and email the week before with recipes for the menu. Then one by one we reply back saying which recipes we will be responsible for. This is not a potluck even but a cooking club event. We can do the needed prep work ahead of time but we cook, finishe, assemble our dishes as group in the kitchen while sipping wine and visiting. Tonight I hosted and planned a menu around two big pots of soups which sounded good in the cold February Midwest weather (St. Louis). This tomato soup recipe was one of our featured soups and it turned out fantastic. It was a huge hit with everyone! The coconut milk and garam masala make it a delightfully unusual twist on a creamy tomato soup recipe. I double the recipe so there would be plenty for leftovers. It was delicious served with some warmed onion naan from a local global market with an Indian bakery. This recipe is a keeper for sure! Thanks!

272 Tina March 1, 2015

I overcooked the onions and I’m sitting here debating weather to use them or roast a new onion. Opinions?

273 Silvia May 14, 2015

This is an amazing soup. I have just made it. The soup tastes delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us. ;-)

274 Aarti June 1, 2015

I made this soup for dinner this evening and we licked the pot clean! Thanks again Angela! :)

275 Aarti June 1, 2015

(Well.. I almost did!)

276 plasterers bristol June 17, 2015

This sounds really delicious and something new to try. Thank you for sharing this.

Simon

277 Lauren August 17, 2015

Cans this be made with regular versus Roma tomatos?

278 Heather October 8, 2015

Angela
First off you should know I am a brand new vegan and am convinced to stick with it after living off your recipes so far!! The flavours leave me speechless (mostly because I am too busy enjoying the food to talk)
I am making this soup and am a bit confused with the amount of tomatoes and garlic I am roasting compared to how much is used in the recipe. Roast 2-3 bulbs of garlic only to use 2 tbsp in the recipe? Can you clarify for me please?
Thank you for all your hard work to keep this once carnivore dairy loving now vegan very happy!!!

279 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2015

Yes that’s correct – I tell you to roast 2-3 bulbs because (depending on the size of the bulb of course) one bulb will yield about 1 tablespoon of roasted garlic cloves. So just use 2 tbsp of roasted garlic in this soup. Or more if you like!! Roasted garlic is so sweet and lovely you can use a heavy hand.

280 Alison October 13, 2015

This soup was amazing! It fulfilled the dreams I imagined when I saw the simple ingredients and surpassed the look of the soup. I added a bit of cayenne for an extra kick and loved that. Now I have a strong desire to make some sort of roasted tomato salsa!

281 Anna November 10, 2015

I’m SO excited to make this!! Does anyone know how many calories there are per serving??

282 Shannon November 12, 2015

I made this soup the other day and absolutely loved it. I may have gone a bit overboard on the garlic – I used all that I roasted – and my boyfriend found it too much, but I didn’t mind a bit.

Roma tomatoes were pretty pricey in my neck of the woods, so I ended up using about 2/3 of what was called for, but I decided not to cut back on anything else. Perhaps more tomatoes would have masked the garlic a bit more but like I said, I still thought it rocked.

I believe the only other change I made is that I did decide to puree it completely. The soup sort of exploded out of my blender, but other than that it worked perfectly. I’d definitely recommend the immersion blender Angela suggests as opposed to a regular one unless you let the soup cool a LOT before blending.

Thanks for this recipe, Angela – I’ll definitely be making it again!

283 Ttrockwood November 27, 2015

Years later this is still one of my favorite soups! I make it frequently all winter and brought it to my friends’ thanksgiving celebration today where it was a huge hit :)

284 Jane November 29, 2015

How bizarre … snuggies and fingernail polish? I thought I was on the wrong site!

285 cate January 13, 2016

Just made this and it was delicious!!! Next time I’ll probably use full fat coconut milk to make it even creamier though. Also added a couple sun-dried tomatoes cause I didn’t roast enough.

286 Rosemary Ogilvie March 18, 2016

Love it! Just made it with the last of my Roma tomatoes. Can’t wait for dinner now to eat it. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us.

287 Angela Liddon March 18, 2016

Hi Rosemary, I’m so glad to hear you like the recipe. Enjoy your dinner!