How To Roast Garlic

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 21, 2011

IMG_2180-2

Once upon a time there was a girl who desperately wanted to roast garlic.

She kept hearing wonderful things about roasted garlic…

“It’s like a buttery spread”

“It’s sweet and mellow and not overpowering”

“I eat it when I feel a cold coming on.”

“I eat it roasted straight from the head! I’M CRAZY!!”

This made the girl crave roasted garlic badly until one day she HAD TO HAVE BUTTERY ROASTED GARLIC right this very second.

IMG_2160

This girl did what she always does when she doesn’t know the answer to something…

which is…all the time.

Untitledccl

Oops.

Here we go.

Untitlednewwww

This search led her to a video on how to roast garlic. Here’s what she learned…

How To Roast Garlic

Note: It’s recommended you stay 2 feet from your computer screen.

IMG_2192

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400F. Peel off the loose skin.

IMG_2163

Step 2: Cut off the head so the garlic is exposed at the top.

IMG_2167

If your knife misses a couple cloves, just use a paring knife to cut the tips off.

IMG_2168

Step 3: Place a piece of tin foil underneath the garlic and drizzle about 1 tsp of olive oil on top, making sure to cover each exposed clove.

IMG_2170

IMG_2171

Step 4: Wrap each garlic clove in tin foil and place in a small oven-safe dish or muffin tin.

IMG_2174

Step 5: Roast in the oven for 35-55 minutes at 400F until the cloves are golden in colour.

IMG_2180

Step 6: Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before gently squeezing the garlic out of each skin. You can also use a paring knife to cut away the skin.

IMG_2186

The pungent flavour of raw garlic is now gone, leaving behind a buttery and mild garlic spread. You can spread it on bread, mix into roasted tomato basil pesto, mash into high protein potatoes, use in pasta sauce, or eat it straight up!

IMG_2188

You could also create the best soup you’ve ever made…(recipe coming up!)

IMG_2190

You know what they say, when one person eats garlic…everyone eats garlic.

Now get your roast on.

This girl is going to chew on a mint plant now.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 21, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I’ve never roasted my own but have eaten an entire head of roasted garlic at a restaurant before. It wasn’t pretty. But, oh so worth it.

Lizzie September 21, 2011 at 9:30 pm

ive never roasted garlic before–this looks awesome tho!! :)

Sam September 21, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I adore roasted garlic! I first tried it for a soup I made and I really want to make more to use as a spread. It was hard to resist eating just a plain clove…mmmm. The smell is so incredible!

Sweet and Savvy September 21, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I have never tried roasted garlic, but this looks so, so good! :)

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 21, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Mm I love roasted garlic! It’s very versatile and I love how rustic it looks!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt September 21, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I love garlic! I always eat whole roasted garlic from the salad bar, which my husband does not appreciate AT ALL. He’s not going to be too happy when I start making it at home now. ;) I’m not sure why, but I never thought to spread it on toast. I’m sure I’ll love it that way too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011 at 9:37 pm

He can thank me I guess! lol

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 21, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Mm I love roasted garlic! It’s very versatile and I love how rustic it looks! Whoops sorry for the comment above!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 21, 2011 at 9:38 pm

oh my goodness that looks so delicious! and EASY!!! I’ll have to try this!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 21, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I love roasted garlic. I wrap them in foil and then pop them in the holes of a muffin tin. It makes sure all the oil and goodness stays inside and somehow they cook quicker :S. At least that’s what I’ve found!

Mary (A Merry Life) September 21, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Never done it before but it sounds and looks amazing. It’s on my list to do!

Monique Koch September 21, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Very interesting! I never thought to do this before…will definitely give it a try.

Megan September 21, 2011 at 9:42 pm

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!

kaila @ healthyhelper September 21, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I AM A GARLIC MONSTER!!! I loooove it! I literally put it on everything! But I have yet to try it as a spread….gotta try that ASAP! Can’t wait for the zuppa recipe!

Ashley September 21, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I love roasted garlic! I am one of those people who could eat it straight out the clove. I think there need to be support groups for people like me. :)

Becky September 21, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I ADORE garlic, but I’ve never had it roasted.

Guess what I’m doing this weekend… XD

Laury @thefitnessdish September 21, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I love roasting garlic….my husband actually taught me how to do it! And I’m the Italian one ;-)

I am cracking up because #1. I am a crazy cat lady. My sister and I have googled that for we were known for bringing kittens home from the rescue when we were younger…my sister wrote on my baby shower card “keep bringing babies home like we used to bring cats home.”

My husband who taught me how to roast garlic also informed me that no matter how many times I brush my teeth, shower, scrub my hands with that metal thingy that gets garlic smell out…it seeps from my pores. My poor clients. Needless to say I’ve been laying off the garlic lately :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 6:34 am

Yea I’ve heard that too. It’s scary to think that the smell might still be there the next day!
Roasted garlic breath is much less worse than raw garlic breath though! At least that’s what I tell myself. ;)

jaxemae July 4, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Try chewing on fresh parsley or Kentucky mint.

[email protected] September 21, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Yummy! I’ve never roasted garlic before, but have heard the same things: buttery, easy to spread, awesome flavor. Now I must try for myself. :) My Mom used to eat so much garlic that it would seep out of her pores and you could smell it. So gross. Maybe she needs to start roasting it first. :)

Natasha September 21, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Yum, yum, yum!!! I am obsessed with roasted garlic. I’ve found ways to work it into so much lately. In fact, we just made a pizza in our house this week and smeared roasted garlic on the crust beneath the sauce. Talk about garlicky deliciousness. Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 6:34 am

That’s a great idea about pizza! Will have to try this.

Kate September 21, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I love roasted garlic especially in spreads & hummus cant wait for the soup recipe!

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 21, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I love roasted garlic — the way your house smells is just incredible. I should make some soon!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I love that you make everything look so elegant! I cannot wait for that soup recipe… so excited to eat more soup.

Miley September 21, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Thank you! Thank you for posting this

[email protected] KatieDid September 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm

ohhh I would so eat whole roasted garlic cloves. I add garlic to every single dish I make, whether its minced, powder, or whole cloves. It’s my favorite veggie(?).

Alexis @ hummusapien September 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm

roasted garlic makes the kitchen smell soooo good! I’m a sucker for minced garlic in a jar but I know that the real thing is WAY better.

leslie September 21, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Thanks for this post. I didn’t google and ended up with a pile of hollow black yuckies!

Lauren September 21, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Cant wait to try the garlic, but even more excited to try that soup you pictured above!!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 21, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Roasted garlic is so good! :) I love the whole cloves in pasta! Yum!

Jenny @ Simply Be...me September 21, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Definitely roasting some garlic soon since we have about 10 heads from the local community garden. I love the mellow taste and love to add it to mashed potatoes.

I google everything too! If I don’t find the answer I’m looking for I keep searching until I do :)

Moni'sMeals September 21, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Love roasted garlic, It just adds so much flavor to any dish… plus so good for you!

But, ugh…mint please! :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 21, 2011 at 11:05 pm

That’s exactly how I do it. I LOVE roasted garlic. It’s so amazing, I could eat it with a spoon. YUMMY!

Nataliya @irunforicecream September 21, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Looks amazing! I love roasting vegetables, but I’ve never tried roasting garlic (putting it on my list right now!).

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 21, 2011 at 11:25 pm

confession: I HATE GARLIC!!!

I have blogged about it a million times so it’s no secret…but for me, it’s just not something I ever want. In fact, I have allergic reactions to it and it shows up on allergy tests. I get really sick, get hives, it’s not a good thing, me and garlic. But I can say that your garlic pics are beautiful :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy September 21, 2011 at 11:36 pm

This looks divine and just like the restaurants make it! MMM…

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 22, 2011 at 12:02 am

There is not much more delicious than the smell of roasted garlic. Did you know you an freeze it?

It always seems like I don’t have it ready to go when I need it, so I just roast a bunch of bulbs at once and freeze them for “emergencies.” Works like a charm. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 6:36 am

Oh I was wondering that! How do you freeze it?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 22, 2011 at 8:01 am

I just tightly wrapped mine in the foil I baked them in and then put them in a freezer baggie.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 8:45 am

Thanks!
I’m assuming you remove the outer skin first and just freeze the garlic flesh?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 22, 2011 at 9:27 am

I just froze the blub whole… I would imagine it would be hard to out of the bulbs in one piece pre-freeze?

[email protected] September 22, 2011 at 12:09 am

Loooove roasted garlic. Its so versatile nadooooh the buttery goodness. YUM!

Tony September 22, 2011 at 12:52 am

wow! I think I’m going to really get some good use out of this site. Funny photos too! Thanks for the tips on roasted garlic. It seems to take sooo long for one little piece of roasted garlic. Would it be better to make larger batches? Or would I have to adjust the temperature or baking time?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 7:38 am

Yes you could certainly make bigger batches!

Michelle September 22, 2011 at 1:46 am

Hi, I’ve been reading your blog for months now and it’s awesome! :)

Just an extra tip (from Veganomicon, I can’t take credit here). For a bit of extra carmelisation, unwrap the cloves a bit and let them roast for an additional 5-8 minutes. But yeah, roasted garlic… YUM!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 6:36 am

That’s a good idea :) Will have to try that!

Dutchgirl Sam September 22, 2011 at 2:11 am

Hahaha, your blogs make me smile :).

Eva September 22, 2011 at 2:40 am

Wow, this looks great. I’m wondering how long it would keep? Or is there maybe a way to make it keep longer? Would be so convenient to have this ready at all times!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 6:27 am

I wonder if there is a way of freezing it? That would be great to make ahead.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 6:36 am

Someone above just commented saying you can freeze it :)

[email protected] September 22, 2011 at 3:33 am

I love roasted garlic, but I’ve never done it that way. I always cut it to tin pieces and put it on some zucchini and peppers. I have to try this method, because it looks so tasty at the bread!!!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 22, 2011 at 5:02 am

I’ve honestly been wondering how to do this for years! Thank you!

Jessica September 22, 2011 at 5:43 am

On that slice of bread it looks so delectable!!! LOL at the mint plant! My mom can always detect when I have eaten hummus because she can smell the garlic! I can’t help it, I love it! :)

Lillian September 22, 2011 at 6:12 am

I loooooove roasted garlic! Back when my husband and I first started dating (I mean, when my husband was my boyfriend…does that make any sense?) he made roasted garlic one night when I had to work late. When I came home, the apartment smelled SO EFFING GOOD — and the roasted garlic was delish. It basically confirmed my suspicions that he was The One. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 6:30 am

haha that’s cute :) A roasted garlic love story!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. September 22, 2011 at 6:15 am

Delicious. Just beware that if you eat the whole head, there WILL be repercussions! :)

Kirsty September 22, 2011 at 6:15 am

I will . Have to definitely give this a go…
Just made some of your back on track brown rice and chickpea salad for my lunch for today :) xx

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 22, 2011 at 6:24 am

I am one of those “i don’t care if everyone has to smell my garlic breath” kind of girls. Love this!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 22, 2011 at 6:39 am

I love the flavour of roast garlic, but I’m always too lazy to do it myself. :P But this would be amazing on crostini or bruschetta!

Corinne September 22, 2011 at 6:42 am

I have roasted garlic a couple times and it is DIVINE!! Glad you tried it, and loved it, for yourself!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 22, 2011 at 6:52 am

How cool! I actually had no idea how to do this. Bahah I google pretty much everything too :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 22, 2011 at 6:54 am

i adore roasted garlic…it’s so amazing! i love our little garlic roaster that we have – it’s terra cotta i believe? – it takes the burning out of the foil that i unfortunately always run into!

Faith @ For the Health of It September 22, 2011 at 6:59 am

I’m dying to get one of those garlic roaster pots – they are just so cute (although I’d probably never use it!) You can never have too much garlic – ha!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 22, 2011 at 7:00 am

YUM! I love roasted garlic but haven’t made it in waaay too long. Actually, I think you’ve just inspired another to-do on my list of weekend cooking activities! Photos look great Ange, and I can’t wait for that recipe!

Ally September 22, 2011 at 7:31 am

Mmm! That looks so good! I LOVE roast garlic! (and the way it makes your kitchen smell)

LizAshlee September 22, 2011 at 7:44 am

I have never made roasted garlic, but I like it in recipes…I think there has been a few I have tried..adds great flavor!!

Heather September 22, 2011 at 7:46 am

Oh. My. Lanta. (Holla, DJ Tanner!). I am salivating. Angela, this is so great! I will totally be using this tutorial!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 22, 2011 at 7:48 am

For someone who loves garlic, I have never actually roasted my own!! I need to do that!

Katrina September 22, 2011 at 7:52 am

Definitely a good thing to know. Yum!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove September 22, 2011 at 7:52 am

I have ALWAYS wanted to make roasted garlic but for some reason I felt like it took forever. I will definitely be trying this over the weekend (as if I didn’t eat enough garlic already)!

Molly @ RDexposed September 22, 2011 at 7:57 am

I could make a dinner out of roasted garlic.

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop September 22, 2011 at 8:08 am

I’m not a big raw garlic fan because it is too strong. Roasted garlic is so much better, but I’ve never made it myself. Thanks for the idea :)

Blog is the New Black September 22, 2011 at 8:11 am

Such a helpful post!

Sabrina September 22, 2011 at 8:21 am

Wow, I never do any of this, I just throw a garlic in the oven, no wrapping cutting or anything just straight on the rack, I admit that it does leak a bit but I keep tin foil in the bottom of my oven at all times because many of the foods we bake leak. I will have to try it like this and see if its better.
Baci!
Sabs.

Danielle @weightsandmeasures September 22, 2011 at 8:26 am

I love roasted garlic. I would like some smeared onto a crusty piece of bread beside a bowl of soup. Yum!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy September 22, 2011 at 8:29 am

Thanks for the step by step how to! I have always wanted to roast garlic but was unsure how to do it!

VeggieGirl September 22, 2011 at 8:30 am

Oh wow, I didnt even know about roast garlic at all, thanks for the knowledge and I MUST try this!!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh September 22, 2011 at 8:33 am

There is nothing more intoxicating that walking into the house when garlic has been roasting. It makes you want to break out the red and white gingham tablecloth, chianti and start saying “mangia!” Just an FYI, it can be roasted without the oil too as long as the foil is tight and still comes out awesome!

Leia September 22, 2011 at 9:03 am

Can’t wait for that soup recipe!

Liz September 22, 2011 at 9:06 am

I have always wanted to roast my own garlic… Thanks for sharing how to do it!

Joanna September 22, 2011 at 9:12 am

Thanks for the post! Keep up the How To tutorials- its always good to brush up on cooking skills :) Cheers!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels September 22, 2011 at 9:13 am

googling is bad … baaaaaaaaaaaad

unless it’s for food prep purposes ;)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 22, 2011 at 9:20 am

put it on your asparagus. trust me.

Jenny September 22, 2011 at 9:21 am

Totally put stars in my eyes and butterflies in my stomach with this post, knowing that there’s a garlicky recipe coming up. “Am I a crazy cat lady?” is might be what you wonder, but I think most of my relatives wonder if I ever ask myself, “Am I a crazy garlic lady?”

… Okay, I’m exaggerating a little bit. ;) But I love love LOVE garlic! Even when I was little and didn’t know it was called garlic, haha. Garlic + onion are necessary for so many delicious recipes, too. But garlic? Garlic is the true star. I love roasted garlic.

Also, supposedly, eating herbs of any type really helps the smell! Basil and parsley are the ones that’ve personally worked for me, and lemon juice helps, too. (That’s why you shouldn’t smell of garlic after eating pesto; the basil and lemon juice is supposed to mitigate the smell!)

Looking forward to that garlic recipe! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Wow that’s interesting! I will have to try that :)

Beth September 22, 2011 at 9:31 am

What a great post!
I have wondered how to roast garlic, but didn’t think of Googling it. Duh!

Perfect timing, as there is a bit of a tickle in my throat. This roasted garlic and fresh ginger root should take care of it.

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat September 22, 2011 at 9:32 am

I looooove garlic. However, my partner hates the smell of it. If I eat garlic, lets just say I spend a few lonely nights alone… My friends seriously question whether a guy is worth giving up garlic for. I heard roasted garlic maybe doesn’t make you smell. Anyone know if this is true? Jenny’s comment above has got my attention. Perhaps I can keep the guy and the garlic!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm

It’s definitely LESS of a smell for sure, but I’d say it’s still quite strong!

Laura-Ashley September 22, 2011 at 9:43 am

Ahhh, I love garlic!! I reek of it all the time and my boyfriend swears he can smell me a mile away. He’s learned to love it, or at least accept it, haha! I will never give it up :) Can’t wait to try this recipe.

Jenny | Floppycats.com September 22, 2011 at 9:49 am

Ha – I am the crazy cat lady – that’s where I blog! I also love roasted garlic – it’s not the breath that I worry about – but the gas! OMG! Sometimes I get sick of farting when I’ve eaten too much roasted garlic.

Veggie V! @Veggie V's Vegan Adenture September 22, 2011 at 9:52 am

My CSA has been giving us garlic every week for the past couple of months, and this sounds like an awesome way to use up some of the 5 or 6 heads I have lying around. Plus, I’ve always wanted to try this! Thanks for the encouragement :-)

Cait's Plate September 22, 2011 at 9:57 am

Mmm – LOooOoOve roasted garlic!!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race September 22, 2011 at 9:57 am

I love roasted garlic! So good :P

Angela W September 22, 2011 at 9:59 am

Hi Ange! I visited your blog this morning just *hoping* you may have posted another one of your fabulous soup recipes… and I’m in luck!! Fall is creeping up on us here in Kelowna and naturally I can’t stop thinking about soup haha. Definitely one of my favorite things to cook, probably because they are usually so easy AND satisfying! I’m so excited for your up coming soup post!! Thanks for being awesome!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Recipe is coming up tomorrow…I hope you like it! I think it’s one of the best I have made…sadly it’s almost gone…or will be after dinner!

Geosomin September 22, 2011 at 10:10 am

After my first taste of roasted garlic, I was hooked. I love it in mashed potatoes. Yum…

Beach Bum Beauty September 22, 2011 at 10:14 am

There’s something really comforting about roasted garlic and it’s really good at keeping colds at bay (and vampires) :-)

Andrea @ Vegvacious September 22, 2011 at 10:17 am

This is exactly how we roast garlic and it is AMAZING when added into mashed potatoes along with a little Earth Balance —- trust me when I tell you it is absolute heaven :-D

Jennifer September 22, 2011 at 10:25 am

ooh this makes the whole house smell sooo good.. makes me hungry just thinking about it!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 22, 2011 at 10:31 am

Oh glorious roasted garlic! It’s the base of an amazing veggie pizza I make all the time, and the base for a pasta dish called Dracula’s Revenge. Since it takes so long (and the smell…dear god the smell!) to roast, I’m half tempted to bake extra the next time and see how it freezes.

Once again, you’re tempting me with deliciousness! Thanks Angela! ;)

Amber K September 22, 2011 at 11:04 am

It always sounds so delicious, but I never have the patience! I wonder how long they last. Because I could see doing it ahead of time and just reheating it to spread it on bread or adding it to another recipe.

Carissa September 22, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I roasted 4 heads and kept some in the fridge for about 2 weeks. There were a few cloves that went bad (so sad!!), but before that they still good. I heated the cloves up a little before using to make them spreadable again.

Amber K September 22, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Thanks for sharing! That’s good to know :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Someone else said you can freeze it too :)

Shaun @ Snackasaurusrex September 22, 2011 at 11:05 am

I’ve tried to roast (actually we put it on the grill) garlic before and it didn’t quite come out how I had envisioned…it was delicious, but messy with the skins :( I will try this way…seems clean and easy ;)

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY September 22, 2011 at 11:24 am

umm, wow, that sounds sooo good i want to just eat it straight out of the oven

[email protected] Tell Stories September 22, 2011 at 11:28 am

I can appreciate your use of google. I couldn’t live without it :)

Allie {a teaspoon of LIFE} September 22, 2011 at 11:47 am

Holy holy holy moley! Today is the best day of my life :) I love you!!!

katzien September 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Well don’t stop there! Go ahead and make some veggie caponata and herbed goat cheese. Grab some toasted baguette, then spread roasted garlic, goat cheese and top with caponata. Enjoy with a glass of red and call it dinner!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner September 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm

you can NEVER go wrong with roasted garlic!!! I love it with chili peppers and then use it as a dip with fresh bread. so not healthy but SO good.

Michelle September 22, 2011 at 12:50 pm

LOVED this post. I actually laughed out loud at parts…

I’m heading home as soon as I am done volunteering to “get my roast on”.

Thanks, yet again, for a great cooking lesson that I’ll use again, and again, and again…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Thanks Michelle :) I hope you enjoy it!

Carissa September 22, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Looooooove garlic! We go through it like crazy. Great instructional guide post. :-)

Cady September 22, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I’ll wait until this weekend for the roasted garlic, but I immediately googled
the crazy cat lady quiz.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I thought someone might! hah

em @ simplypresent September 22, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Mmmm… Love garlic! (and Google…)

[email protected] September 22, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Yummyyy!! I love garlic in any way, shape or form. This looks so good. Roasted/grilled is 2nd for me. But in our house, our favorite way of eating it is raw!! :P Dipped in Korean spicy pepper paste, or fermented bean paste hehehe :)

Christina September 22, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I swear garlic is one of the best things on the planet. Not only does it get deliciously sweet and smooth when you roast them, they can also keep away enemies (or unwanted in-laws) hahaha!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm

haha and vampires!

[email protected] September 22, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I love garlic, but I’ve never roasted it. It looks amazing! Your photos just make me want to spread this all over spread and gobble it up. Or drizzle on noodles. Or just eat it.

Jessy (squeezetheday) September 22, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I’ve never tried roasted garlic (I didn’t even know people did it until recently), but considering I adore roasted/caramelized onions, I think I need to try this!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 3:42 pm

you are going to love the soup recipe tomorrow!

Becky September 22, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Totally off topic, but how goes your cookbook? I can’t wait to buy a copy!

JenATX September 22, 2011 at 3:02 pm

can the title of the cookbook be called, I am Not a Crazy Cat Lady?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I’m working on my proposal…and about to sign with an agent. It’s a slow process, but I’m making sure that I do it right.

Love the title of the book! :)

Jes September 22, 2011 at 2:06 pm

OMG I would totally make that right now…buuuut I TOTALLY stink in my hot yoga class when I’ve been eating garlic and/or onions, even the slightest bit. *shudder*

Coll September 22, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Looking forward to the recipe!

Barry September 22, 2011 at 2:26 pm

That seems very straightforward but I will need to move to larger accomodation in a single and remote dwelling. Love garlic and I believe it is very healthy.

Lara September 22, 2011 at 3:06 pm

OMW you have just reminded me how much I LURVVV roast garlic :-)

Julie September 22, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Ok, I totally want that soup recipe, like now!!! lol. I LOVE roasted garlic. One of my favorite things in the world, and it’s been entirely too long since I’ve had it. Must roast garlic this week!

Morgan Holmes September 22, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I just wanted to say that I love your blog and look forward to reading it everyday. But I was just writing because after a long 4 week debate about going back to my job after my Maternity leave, I have finally decided to quit! and I just did a few minutes ago and I feel crazy and excited and panicky all at once. But I wanted to say that it came down to your post about career happiness etc. I re-read them today before going into work and it helped me take the jump. I thought I might like it better now that it had been a year off but it was the same job that I was unhappy about before etc. So yay thank you for your support!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011 at 11:34 am

Thanks for your comment Morgan! I wish you all the best with your new journey!! :)

Maggie September 22, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Try adding in a light dousing of honey when you do the olive oil. That sweetness brings out something amazing in an already perfect dish!

Judy September 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm

You can also add some roasted garlic to the pizza sauce when making pizza. Very good!
Cannot wait for the soup recipe tomorrow.

Haley September 22, 2011 at 6:57 pm

MMMmm can’t wait to put some on my toast! I’m going to need a large pack of gum afterwards though! (:

Nicholle September 22, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Yeah, your picture is back! For some reason it just motivates me! Guess, I just wanna glow like you!

Katie September 22, 2011 at 11:03 pm

The instant I saw the title of this post, my day was made. I am a garlic fiend. But I’ve never actually taken the initiative to roast some at home, until today. Thanks so much for simple lesson!!! I will be doing it regularly.

Tonight’s snack of roasted garlic spread on toast with salt and pepper was a delicious start :)

Sarahh September 22, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Love your blog! Ever since I started reading it/making the recipes, I’ve had such a different [better!] outlook on life, food, and being healthy and happy with me! Thanks!

Living, Learning, Eating September 23, 2011 at 1:55 am

My dad would love that; he’s obsessed with garlic.

Ashley @ The Drunk Squash September 23, 2011 at 2:29 am

oh my gosh I DIE for roasted garlic! My only problem is sometimes I get too impatient and eat it before it’s completely buttery… still delicious, but definitely gives me garlic breath.

Hayley @ Oat Couture September 23, 2011 at 5:21 am

Haha I love garlic but my boyfriend HATES it so I don’t think this will be allowed in our house :(

jenna September 23, 2011 at 8:55 am

:) i have such a love hate relationship with garlic. roasted garlic is so appealing to me thought. it’s the after breath that kills me.

jane September 25, 2011 at 3:05 am

love roasting garlic , it’s fab with a sprig of fresh thyme tucked in with it ! :)

shaylyn September 25, 2011 at 7:30 pm

i LOVE roasted garlic and i love this post! as the weather turns cold i am currently mourning the loss of my garlic roaster (a pretty ridiculous single-use kitchen item but it made me happy nonetheless) – will have to make do with some foil i guess. can’t wait to try the roasted garlic soup you posted!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 27, 2011 at 11:05 pm

You better believe I will be trying that roasted garlic ASAP!!!

Tessa September 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Cut the TOPS off! Not the bottoms…I hope it works with them all being single and not stuck together any more. I guess we will see when them come out of the oven.

eselpee August 24, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I roast garlic as you suggest, but without the oil.

The oil is never missed; neither are the extra calories nor omega 6s….

Stephanie October 29, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Made these tonight. SO GOOD! Thank you :) I posted it on my blog and linked back to yours. Thanks again for the delicious recipe! xoxo

Megan November 4, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I tried this exactly as written…….and WOW it was great! Thank you! For some reason I could never get it right before. My husband believes its the stove- haha

Melinda K June 16, 2014 at 11:27 am

Thanks so much for posting this with the awesome pictures – my husband fell in love with roasted garlic (we had it at a steak house where every steak was served with 1 roasted head for smearing on steak) and I attempted it before and scorched it badly. This set of instructions was foolproof. (I’ll add that I don’t think this works well in the toaster oven, must bake only!)

Elaine August 15, 2014 at 11:49 am

Does anyone know how long will roasted garlic last in the refrigerator?

Jenna Parsons September 10, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I am so doing this tonight! We are making a Roasted Garlic Sauce for our stuffed shells, so i HAD to know how to roast garlic.

Clare September 25, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Going to make some for my Pizza, Love Garlic on my Pizzas.

Christa Ritchie October 4, 2014 at 11:42 am

Thank-you so much ! So easy and delicious !

J.D. Stanley October 13, 2014 at 5:46 pm

I had made roasted garlic in the distant past, but had since forgotten this simple recipe. I wanted to make homemade garlic bread with dinner this evening and stumbled across this site looking for a recipe. Not only is this recipe deliciously correct, but also (and more importantly) entertaining, witty, and charming. Proof? I have been searching for and using recipes online for years, but have never left a comment . . . until now. Thank you for your contribution!

Kristen October 21, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Hi there!

I absolutely love roasted garlic…well, garlic in general, but I would like to make roasted garlic for a few different recipes. Would this hold well for a couple of days in the fridge if I make the different recipes say, over 3 days? Or would it all need to be used up in one day? Thanks so much (in advance). :-D

Amy Thompson March 11, 2015 at 8:36 am

Love roasted garlic. Just wondering if it stays fresh in the refrigerator ?