How To Roast Garlic

IMG 2180 2 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Once upon a time there was a girl who desperately wanted to roast garlic.

She kept hearing wonderful things about roasted garlic…

“It’s like a buttery spread”

“It’s sweet and mellow and not overpowering”

“I eat it when I feel a cold coming on.”

“I eat it roasted straight from the head! I’M CRAZY!!”

This made the girl crave roasted garlic badly until one day she HAD TO HAVE BUTTERY ROASTED GARLIC right this very second.

IMG 2160 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

This girl did what she always does when she doesn’t know the answer to something…

which is…all the time.

Untitledccl thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Oops.

Here we go.

Untitlednewwww thumb   How To Roast Garlic

This search led her to a video on how to roast garlic. Here’s what she learned…

How To Roast Garlic

Note: It’s recommended you stay 2 feet from your computer screen.

IMG 2192 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400F. Peel off the loose skin.

IMG 2163 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Step 2: Cut off the head so the garlic is exposed at the top.

IMG 2167 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

If your knife misses a couple cloves, just use a paring knife to cut the tips off.

IMG 2168 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Step 3: Place a piece of tin foil underneath the garlic and drizzle about 1 tsp of olive oil on top, making sure to cover each exposed clove.

IMG 2170 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

IMG 2171 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Step 4: Wrap each garlic clove in tin foil and place in a small oven-safe dish or muffin tin.

IMG 2174 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Step 5: Roast in the oven for 35-55 minutes at 400F until the cloves are golden in colour.

IMG 2180 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

Step 6: Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before gently squeezing the garlic out of each skin. You can also use a paring knife to cut away the skin.

IMG 2186 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

The pungent flavour of raw garlic is now gone, leaving behind a buttery and mild garlic spread. You can spread it on bread, mix into roasted tomato basil pesto, mash into high protein potatoes, use in pasta sauce, or eat it straight up!

IMG 2188 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

You could also create the best soup you’ve ever made…(recipe coming up!)

IMG 2190 thumb   How To Roast Garlic

You know what they say, when one person eats garlic…everyone eats garlic.

Now get your roast on.

This girl is going to chew on a mint plant now.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 21, 2011

I’ve never roasted my own but have eaten an entire head of roasted garlic at a restaurant before. It wasn’t pretty. But, oh so worth it.

Lizzie September 21, 2011

ive never roasted garlic before–this looks awesome tho!! :)

Sam September 21, 2011

I adore roasted garlic! I first tried it for a soup I made and I really want to make more to use as a spread. It was hard to resist eating just a plain clove…mmmm. The smell is so incredible!

Sweet and Savvy September 21, 2011

I have never tried roasted garlic, but this looks so, so good! :)

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 21, 2011

Mm I love roasted garlic! It’s very versatile and I love how rustic it looks!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt September 21, 2011

I love garlic! I always eat whole roasted garlic from the salad bar, which my husband does not appreciate AT ALL. He’s not going to be too happy when I start making it at home now. ;) I’m not sure why, but I never thought to spread it on toast. I’m sure I’ll love it that way too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

He can thank me I guess! lol

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 21, 2011

Mm I love roasted garlic! It’s very versatile and I love how rustic it looks! Whoops sorry for the comment above!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 21, 2011

oh my goodness that looks so delicious! and EASY!!! I’ll have to try this!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 21, 2011

I love roasted garlic. I wrap them in foil and then pop them in the holes of a muffin tin. It makes sure all the oil and goodness stays inside and somehow they cook quicker :S. At least that’s what I’ve found!

Mary (A Merry Life) September 21, 2011

Never done it before but it sounds and looks amazing. It’s on my list to do!

Monique Koch September 21, 2011

Very interesting! I never thought to do this before…will definitely give it a try.

Megan September 21, 2011

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!

kaila @ healthyhelper September 21, 2011

I AM A GARLIC MONSTER!!! I loooove it! I literally put it on everything! But I have yet to try it as a spread….gotta try that ASAP! Can’t wait for the zuppa recipe!

Ashley September 21, 2011

I love roasted garlic! I am one of those people who could eat it straight out the clove. I think there need to be support groups for people like me. :)

Becky September 21, 2011

I ADORE garlic, but I’ve never had it roasted.

Guess what I’m doing this weekend… XD

Laury @thefitnessdish September 21, 2011

I love roasting garlic….my husband actually taught me how to do it! And I’m the Italian one ;-)

I am cracking up because #1. I am a crazy cat lady. My sister and I have googled that for we were known for bringing kittens home from the rescue when we were younger…my sister wrote on my baby shower card “keep bringing babies home like we used to bring cats home.”

My husband who taught me how to roast garlic also informed me that no matter how many times I brush my teeth, shower, scrub my hands with that metal thingy that gets garlic smell out…it seeps from my pores. My poor clients. Needless to say I’ve been laying off the garlic lately :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

Yea I’ve heard that too. It’s scary to think that the smell might still be there the next day!
Roasted garlic breath is much less worse than raw garlic breath though! At least that’s what I tell myself. ;)

jaxemae July 4, 2012

Try chewing on fresh parsley or Kentucky mint.

Lindsay@LivingLindsay September 21, 2011

Yummy! I’ve never roasted garlic before, but have heard the same things: buttery, easy to spread, awesome flavor. Now I must try for myself. :) My Mom used to eat so much garlic that it would seep out of her pores and you could smell it. So gross. Maybe she needs to start roasting it first. :)

Natasha September 21, 2011

Yum, yum, yum!!! I am obsessed with roasted garlic. I’ve found ways to work it into so much lately. In fact, we just made a pizza in our house this week and smeared roasted garlic on the crust beneath the sauce. Talk about garlicky deliciousness. Thanks for sharing!!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

That’s a great idea about pizza! Will have to try this.

Kate September 21, 2011

I love roasted garlic especially in spreads & hummus cant wait for the soup recipe!

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 21, 2011

I love roasted garlic — the way your house smells is just incredible. I should make some soon!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 21, 2011

I love that you make everything look so elegant! I cannot wait for that soup recipe… so excited to eat more soup.

Miley September 21, 2011

Thank you! Thank you for posting this

katie@ KatieDid September 21, 2011

ohhh I would so eat whole roasted garlic cloves. I add garlic to every single dish I make, whether its minced, powder, or whole cloves. It’s my favorite veggie(?).

Alexis @ hummusapien September 21, 2011

roasted garlic makes the kitchen smell soooo good! I’m a sucker for minced garlic in a jar but I know that the real thing is WAY better.

leslie September 21, 2011

Thanks for this post. I didn’t google and ended up with a pile of hollow black yuckies!

Lauren September 21, 2011

Cant wait to try the garlic, but even more excited to try that soup you pictured above!!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 21, 2011

Roasted garlic is so good! :) I love the whole cloves in pasta! Yum!

Jenny @ Simply Be...me September 21, 2011

Definitely roasting some garlic soon since we have about 10 heads from the local community garden. I love the mellow taste and love to add it to mashed potatoes.

I google everything too! If I don’t find the answer I’m looking for I keep searching until I do :)

Moni'sMeals September 21, 2011

Love roasted garlic, It just adds so much flavor to any dish… plus so good for you!

But, ugh…mint please! :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 21, 2011

That’s exactly how I do it. I LOVE roasted garlic. It’s so amazing, I could eat it with a spoon. YUMMY!

Nataliya @irunforicecream September 21, 2011

Looks amazing! I love roasting vegetables, but I’ve never tried roasting garlic (putting it on my list right now!).

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 21, 2011

confession: I HATE GARLIC!!!

I have blogged about it a million times so it’s no secret…but for me, it’s just not something I ever want. In fact, I have allergic reactions to it and it shows up on allergy tests. I get really sick, get hives, it’s not a good thing, me and garlic. But I can say that your garlic pics are beautiful :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy September 21, 2011

This looks divine and just like the restaurants make it! MMM…

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 22, 2011

There is not much more delicious than the smell of roasted garlic. Did you know you an freeze it?

It always seems like I don’t have it ready to go when I need it, so I just roast a bunch of bulbs at once and freeze them for “emergencies.” Works like a charm. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

Oh I was wondering that! How do you freeze it?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 22, 2011

I just tightly wrapped mine in the foil I baked them in and then put them in a freezer baggie.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

Thanks!
I’m assuming you remove the outer skin first and just freeze the garlic flesh?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 22, 2011

I just froze the blub whole… I would imagine it would be hard to out of the bulbs in one piece pre-freeze?

Nic@diningwithastud September 22, 2011

Loooove roasted garlic. Its so versatile nadooooh the buttery goodness. YUM!

Tony September 22, 2011

wow! I think I’m going to really get some good use out of this site. Funny photos too! Thanks for the tips on roasted garlic. It seems to take sooo long for one little piece of roasted garlic. Would it be better to make larger batches? Or would I have to adjust the temperature or baking time?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

Yes you could certainly make bigger batches!

Michelle September 22, 2011

Hi, I’ve been reading your blog for months now and it’s awesome! :)

Just an extra tip (from Veganomicon, I can’t take credit here). For a bit of extra carmelisation, unwrap the cloves a bit and let them roast for an additional 5-8 minutes. But yeah, roasted garlic… YUM!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

That’s a good idea :) Will have to try that!

Dutchgirl Sam September 22, 2011

Hahaha, your blogs make me smile :).

Eva September 22, 2011

Wow, this looks great. I’m wondering how long it would keep? Or is there maybe a way to make it keep longer? Would be so convenient to have this ready at all times!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

I wonder if there is a way of freezing it? That would be great to make ahead.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2011

Someone above just commented saying you can freeze it :)

Carina@veggiegourmetkitchen September 22, 2011

I love roasted garlic, but I’ve never done it that way. I always cut it to tin pieces and put it on some zucchini and peppers. I have to try this method, because it looks so tasty at the bread!!!

Page 1 of 41234»