5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

20101108IMG 0034 thumb thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

There’s a chill in the air.

Actually, that’s a lie because it’s quite warm outside as I write this post. I’m in a tank top and shorts right now! Hardly Fall temperatures, but then again it’s still summer for another week.

However, tomorrow morning is supposed to be a classic Fall morning- crisp, 8C, sunny, and full with promise. The promise of hot oatmeal. Cinnamon. Maybe stinky fuzzy slippers. That’s a perfect Fall morning to me.

I’ve been on a huge hot oatmeal kick these days. The other morning, I was busy working on a mushroom recipe challenge and Eric graciously offered to make me some oatmeal for breakfast. In other words, I begged him until he finally gave in. I love when men just offer to make things out of the blue like that, don’t you? ;)

I may have uttered the words, “I’m going to waste away to nothing” in a moment of desperation.

“Ok, but don’t blame me if it doesn’t taste good…” he said, slinking off to the kitchen with my Apple Pie Oatmeal recipe clutched in his hand. It wasn’t looking good.

And you know what?

IMG 1787 thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

The oatmeal didn’t taste good either.

IMG 1788 thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

It tasted like the best damn bowl of oatmeal I’ve ever had!!

Why does it always taste better when someone else makes it? Seriously, I need to know. He also sprinkled it with crunchy Sucanat which was genius. Or maybe he sprinkled it with pixy love dust! Needless to say, I gushed so much about this bowl of oatmeal Eric had a grin on his face the entire morning. He has now conquered his oatmeal-making fears. It was a win-win all around.

In honour of chilly mornings, here are my 5 favourite hot oatmeal recipes of all time. (in this case, “all-time” isn’t that long considering I used to hate hot oatmeal until 2010, but let’s just go with it.)

5) Comforting Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

This pumpkin oatmeal is like a warm hug on a cold morning. Or maybe I’m just lonely. Infused with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and vanilla extract, it’s like eating a slice of warm pumpkin pie in oatmeal form. I love topping it with a teaspoon of Earth Balance, pecans, and a drizzle of almond milk.

20101108IMG 0034 thumb thumb1   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

4) Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Last Winter, I was craving my favourite sweet potato casserole in a major way. The only snag? It was 7:15am. I looked at the sweet potato, it looked at me…I looked at it again. And I turned that craving into a delicious weekend breakfast.

IMG 1394 thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

3) Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

A sneaky way to get a serving of vegetables in your morning oatmeal. You can’t taste the zucchini, but it does a lovely job of bulking up this voluminous bowl of oatmeal.

IMG 8605 thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

2) Apple Pie Oatmeal

Even better when someone else makes it for you! It’s ok to beg sometimes.

IMG 9758 thumb thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

and my favourite bowl of hot oatmeal goes to…

1) Carrot Cake Oatmeal

This one is for all the carrot cake fans out there! Creamy, crunchy, chewy, and sweet, this recipe packs in a full cup of carrots and a handful of healthy ingredients that will keep you feeling full for hours. It is quite a large portion, so I place the leftovers into the fridge and enjoy it as a snack the next day (it’s good cold too!).

IMG 6608 thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

Strapped for time?

For an ‘instant’ bowl of hot oatmeal, just mix up a batch of Vegan Overnight Oats before bed and place it in the fridge. In the morning, heat it in the microwave for 60-90 seconds, add your toppings/sweetener, and go! No stove-top cooking required.

The overnight soaking softens and thickens the oats, similar to cooking, meaning that you don’t need to stir over a stove-top for 10 minutes. The consistency won’t be as creamy as it would be cooked on a stove-top, but it’s still a good substitute in a pinch. If you don’t want to use the microwave, you can just reheat it for a couple minutes on the stove-top too.

And if it’s still too warm where you are to enjoy a hot bowl of oats, you can try one of my 12 Vegan Overnight Oats recipes which are great on warmer mornings.

IMG 0298 thumb thumb   5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

What are your favourite things to mix into oatmeal? What flavour of oatmeal should I make next?

VeggieGirl September 13, 2011

Add chopped Glo bar chunks! :)

;)

Julie (A Case of the Runs) September 13, 2011

For some reason, I never get tempted to prep oatmeal for breakfast, but once I do (especially if it’s a nice variation like yours!), I never regret it!

Here’s something… On Friday, I am posting a recipe I concocted for French Toast Oatmeal, though it’s not vegan (due to egg).

that’s a fun idea!

Sara September 13, 2011

My ultimate favorite thing to add is almond butter sauce! Oh my goodness, once I discovered that recipe on your blog I about nearly died after drizzleing it on my oatmeal :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Mmm I love that too! I haven’t made that in a while.

Erika - The Teenage Taste September 13, 2011

Yay for Eric! That oatmeal looks fabulous!
Also, I’m loving this oatmeal round-up. I love that you made Carrot Cake oatmeal. I LOVE Carrot Cake! <3

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh September 13, 2011

These all seem so warm and fall like! I just want to cuddle up with some oatmeal on the couch now ;)

Bev Weidner September 13, 2011

I. Am. Dying.

Alyssa September 13, 2011

love oatmeal… this post is the perfect thing! i am always looking for a little variation… especially when i run out of bananas!

Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries September 13, 2011

Oh boy, I am so excited to try each of these oatmeals. They are all some of my favorite traditional desserts (pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, zuchinni bread, carrot cake…) I’ve been craving hot oatmeal more lately too, so this is perfect!! Thanks so much for sharing.

Rasha @ PBAddiction September 13, 2011

All these ideas are great, and the zucchini bread one is particularly interesting, but the first thing the actually caught my eye was the wooden spoon with the pumpkin oatmeal! I love it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Thanks! It’s from Anthropologie…sadly I lost it a while ago!

Cassidy September 13, 2011

Banana bread oatmeal…? I can’t remember where I was reading about a “melty banana trick”, but that seems like suuuuuuch a good idea!! And I’m sure you could perfect it! Btw the carrot cake is my fav too. I just made it a few mornings ago :)

Lauren September 13, 2011

Yum, good thing I have sweet potatoes, apples, and carrots on hand! Plenty of cinnamon too…

ella September 13, 2011

Oh! Those look amazing! Maybe gingerbread oatmeal? I know you have a VOO pumpkin ginger recipe but Maybe a hot oatmeal one with out the pympkin and something else instead? :)

Love that idea, thanks!

Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather September 13, 2011

Food really does taste better when someone else makes it! Way to go Eric! What about some type of chocolate mousse oatmeal… Like dessert for breakfast!

Ashley September 13, 2011

I was thinking about zucchini oatmeal with the surplus of zucchini I have around here! Tomorrow, I’m attempting a zucchini bread smoothie…haha We shall see. ;) Sucanat is one of my favorite ingredients everrr. What a genius that Eric is. If I had to choose a bowl, it would be pumpkin. :)

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 13, 2011

Its like you read my mind with this post! I was on the search for new variations :)

Ashley September 13, 2011

So thats what I need to do to get my husband to make me oatmeal? Noted. ;) I love adding raisins to my oatmeal, they add a nice sweetness and texture.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 13, 2011

I add different things to my oatmeal all the time, depending on my mood! I am loving the goji berries, last of the summer peaches and blueberries and almond butter combo right now! Haha. Your carrot cake oatmeal is definetly one of my “cool weather” (or anytime) favourites! I make it all the time :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

You just reminded me of a bowl I made last month with peaches…it was so good with peaches in it! I will have to make it again. Glad you are enjoying the C.cake oats!

Michele September 13, 2011

I’m interested in trying out something savory as my husband doesn’t like sweet stuff at breakfast and I want to eat more oatmeal. Thoughts?

Hey Michelle,

I loooove savoury oatmeal. I actually forgot about it until you mentioned it!
Here’s a post with an idea, although I eat it more of a lunch: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/03/03/youre-so-cheezy/

Michele September 13, 2011

Thanks Angela! These look amazing. I can’t wait to try them.

Do you keep two different kinds of almond milk on hand? The one i get is vanilla flavored, but i haven’t tried the plain yet. Do you stick to plain or go for both or make your own? I have also been wondering about soy creamers – are these sweetened for coffee or are they a good replacement for half and half? Sorry for so many questions, I’m slow trying to wean myself off dairy and looking at options.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Hey Michele, No worries about the questions, I like to help when I can!
When I first bought almond milk, I only bought vanilla, unsweetened. Then I realized that vanilla flavoured almond milk, didn’t always work in savoury ‘dinner’ type recipes.
So then I started buying original, unsweetened…and it’s not as good, but I have sort of been buying it ever since! I tend to always add vanilla in sweet recipes so it’s not a big deal. The only time I miss the flavour is in cold cereal or drinking it straight up.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Oops I forgot to mention that I haven’t tried the soy creamers before, although I do know people who love them in coffee or tea!

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner September 13, 2011

Carrot cake oatmeal is my favorite, too!! I never have all the ingredients on hand, so I make a sort of abbreviated version, but the other morning I was daydreaming about it and vow to follow your recipe exactly this year. I am so excited!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

I make a shortened version too, maybe I should post that along with the longer one. Thanks for the reminder!

Jillian September 13, 2011

Amaaaazzzinggg post. Oatmeal is the love of my life – and your carrot cake oats have changed my world in a big, bad way. I microwave my overnight oats all the time on busy work days and I love them with a bit of maple syrup, natural peanut butter, and homemade granola on top. Delish. But nothing compares to the recipes you noted. Those are saved and enjoyed on days off :)

I second the call for banana bread or gingerbread oatmeal. I am drooling just thinking about all of this…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Oops just saw this comment above.

Thank you! So happy you enjoy them so much. :)

Jillian September 13, 2011

Oh, and on another note – I have subbed pumpkin for the grated carrots in the carrot cake recipe and it was just as delightful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Good to know, thanks Jillian!

Carly (Swim, Run, Om) September 13, 2011

I’ve been wondering what to do with this season’s inaugural can o’ pumpkin, and that pumpkin pie oatmeal is just the ticket.

Maybe cinnamon bun oatmeal? I also really like the gingerbread idea someone else had. I love red velvet cake, but I think it would be pretty hard to translate that to oatmeal.

Michele September 13, 2011

I love red velvet cake too. Beets could color it, but I have no idea how that would taste.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

So creative! Great idea..cake flavoured oatmeal? Sign me up :)

Alana September 13, 2011

I might be going out on a limb here, but I would LOVE a s’more flavoured oatmeal. A little dessert at breakfast never hurt anyone ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

wow now that would be a bowl!

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 13, 2011

Honestly I love simple oatmeal with banana chunks mixed in and some walnuts sprinkled on top.

And I totally agree that when someone else cooks the food tastes amazing! I wonder if that is why Jason always wants me to cook dinner — it must taste so good to him!

Andrea Muzzatti September 13, 2011

Angela, your posts always make me smile, which is a hard thing to do!! Your self-professed dorky sense of humour really appeals to me…you are awesome!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Glad I could make you smile!

Amy September 13, 2011

I can’t wait to make all of these! Your recipes are my absolute favorite, vegan or not! Good call switching careers because this is definitely your calling :)

haha that’s cute thanks!

Cait's Plate September 13, 2011

Oh my gosh. Every. SINGLE. one of these made me swoon. But that first picture is absolutely incredible. The epitome of a Fall/Winter breakfast!!

Emily September 13, 2011

Wow! Great ideas! For some reason I keep thinking of a creamy cashew avocado oatmeal recipe… yum! I’m also a fan of blending oats (either VOO or leftoer cooked) into smoothies and topping with some crunchy granola

Great ideas :)

Zoe September 13, 2011

Angela, I wasn’t sure where to post this comment but I wanted to let you know that I think your site is fantastic! I had been surfing around for a while trying to find sites to help me make the transition to vegan. I actually started a 6 week ‘trial’ today to see if this is a lifestyle change that I can sustain (giving up meat is not the issue – but I’ll certainly miss greek yogurt!).

I find your site really fun and informative and love your accounts of what worked and what didn’t – you clearly put a lot of effort into your dishes to get it just right.

So, tonight for my first official ‘vegan’ meal I cooked your Mushroom and Carmelized Onion Risotto and it was delicious – looking forward to leftovers tomorrow.

Thanks – I’ll definatley keep posted for new ideas and try out some other recipes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Thanks Zoe! I’m happy to hear that you enjoy the blog & your first vegan meal was a success!

Anna September 13, 2011

YUM…I can not wait for breakfast time. I am so glad I found a can of pumpkin the other day at the store. I’ll definitely be putting it to good use asap!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 13, 2011

Honestly me and oatmeal making goes like this:
1/3 c whole rolled oats + about 2/3 c water. Nuke in micro for 60 secs. Stir in a HEFTY does of cinny and brown sugar. Nuke again for 30 secs. Stir & wait 5 mins. Devour. It’s easy, it’s no fuss, and did I mention I love microwaves. Yes, I do. :)

But for those times when I am not pressed for time…your recipes make me want to dive in!!!!

Marcella September 13, 2011

I have been on a HUGE oatmeal kick lately.

I’ve been making regular oatmeal and then, at the last minute, adding a frozen banana (chopped) and peanut butter. The frozen banana really concentrates the flavor more than a fresh banana. So warm and comforting. Of course, my all time favorite is vanilla extract and pure maple syrup.

These recipes make me want to jump in a pile of leaves!

lynn @ the actor's diet September 13, 2011

great post! all of these sound incredibly delicious.

Ashley September 13, 2011

I’ve fallen in love with oatmeal! I never used to enjoy it but lately I’ve just been craving it and wanting to try out new recipes for it. I have some carrots in the fridge, so I think I will whip up a batch of the carrot cake kind for the morning:)

Abby Taylor September 13, 2011

Please say you will try to create breakfast with coconut…maybe German chocolate? Yes, German Chocolate breakfast sounds right to me!

Joy J September 13, 2011

I’m so happy that you are on an oatmeal kick because so am I!

I plan on trying all of these recipes :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 13, 2011

These all look so ridiculously good! And I agree, everything tastes better when someone else makes it for you! This morning I swirled some pumpkin into my oats – it’s been going into everything lately!! I agree that carrot cake oatmeal is pretty bomb too – adds so much volume! (And lucky you, you’ve got home-grown carrots!!)

Albizia September 13, 2011

It is still too hot in my part of the world so for now I prefer my oatmeal cold or even almost frozen. There are a lot of things I love to add but one of my favorite combinations is with peach, cinnamon and sunflower seeds.

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 13, 2011

It was hot here today too, about 80F. But I’m still currently enjoying a nice big bowl of hot oatmeal! I love it any time it has any sort of nut butter on top :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh September 13, 2011

My body is revolting on me with oatmeal but I’m hoping Fall will renew the taste for it. When it does, I’m coming back to this post and diggin’ in babydoll!

Page 1 of 41234»