5 Favourite Hot Oatmeal Recipes

20101108IMG_0034_thumb

There’s a chill in the air.

Actually, that’s a lie because it’s quite warm outside as I write this post. I’m in a tank top and shorts right now! Hardly Fall temperatures, but then again it’s still summer for another week.

However, tomorrow morning is supposed to be a classic Fall morning- crisp, 8C, sunny, and full with promise. The promise of hot oatmeal. Cinnamon. Maybe stinky fuzzy slippers. That’s a perfect Fall morning to me.

I’ve been on a huge hot oatmeal kick these days. The other morning, I was busy working on a mushroom recipe challenge and Eric graciously offered to make me some oatmeal for breakfast. In other words, I begged him until he finally gave in. I love when men just offer to make things out of the blue like that, don’t you? ;)

I may have uttered the words, “I’m going to waste away to nothing” in a moment of desperation.

“Ok, but don’t blame me if it doesn’t taste good…” he said, slinking off to the kitchen with my Apple Pie Oatmeal recipe clutched in his hand. It wasn’t looking good.

And you know what?

IMG_1787

The oatmeal didn’t taste good either.

IMG_1788

It tasted like the best damn bowl of oatmeal I’ve ever had!!

Why does it always taste better when someone else makes it? Seriously, I need to know. He also sprinkled it with crunchy Sucanat which was genius. Or maybe he sprinkled it with pixy love dust! Needless to say, I gushed so much about this bowl of oatmeal Eric had a grin on his face the entire morning. He has now conquered his oatmeal-making fears. It was a win-win all around.

In honour of chilly mornings, here are my 5 favourite hot oatmeal recipes of all time. (in this case, “all-time” isn’t that long considering I used to hate hot oatmeal until 2010, but let’s just go with it.)

5) Comforting Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

This pumpkin oatmeal is like a warm hug on a cold morning. Or maybe I’m just lonely. Infused with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and vanilla extract, it’s like eating a slice of warm pumpkin pie in oatmeal form. I love topping it with a teaspoon of Earth Balance, pecans, and a drizzle of almond milk.

20101108IMG_0034_thumb

4) Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Last Winter, I was craving my favourite sweet potato casserole in a major way. The only snag? It was 7:15am. I looked at the sweet potato, it looked at me…I looked at it again. And I turned that craving into a delicious weekend breakfast.

IMG_1394

3) Zucchini Bread Oatmeal

A sneaky way to get a serving of vegetables in your morning oatmeal. You can’t taste the zucchini, but it does a lovely job of bulking up this voluminous bowl of oatmeal.

IMG_8605

2) Apple Pie Oatmeal

Even better when someone else makes it for you! It’s ok to beg sometimes.

IMG_9758_thumb

and my favourite bowl of hot oatmeal goes to…

1) Carrot Cake Oatmeal

This one is for all the carrot cake fans out there! Creamy, crunchy, chewy, and sweet, this recipe packs in a full cup of carrots and a handful of healthy ingredients that will keep you feeling full for hours. It is quite a large portion, so I place the leftovers into the fridge and enjoy it as a snack the next day (it’s good cold too!).

IMG_6608

Strapped for time?

For an ‘instant’ bowl of hot oatmeal, just mix up a batch of Vegan Overnight Oats before bed and place it in the fridge. In the morning, heat it in the microwave for 60-90 seconds, add your toppings/sweetener, and go! No stove-top cooking required.

The overnight soaking softens and thickens the oats, similar to cooking, meaning that you don’t need to stir over a stove-top for 10 minutes. The consistency won’t be as creamy as it would be cooked on a stove-top, but it’s still a good substitute in a pinch. If you don’t want to use the microwave, you can just reheat it for a couple minutes on the stove-top too.

And if it’s still too warm where you are to enjoy a hot bowl of oats, you can try one of my 12 Vegan Overnight Oats recipes which are great on warmer mornings.

IMG_0298_thumb

What are your favourite things to mix into oatmeal? What flavour of oatmeal should I make next?

1 VeggieGirl September 13, 2011

Add chopped Glo bar chunks! :)

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

;)

3 Julie (A Case of the Runs) September 13, 2011

For some reason, I never get tempted to prep oatmeal for breakfast, but once I do (especially if it’s a nice variation like yours!), I never regret it!

Here’s something… On Friday, I am posting a recipe I concocted for French Toast Oatmeal, though it’s not vegan (due to egg).

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

that’s a fun idea!

5 Sara September 13, 2011

My ultimate favorite thing to add is almond butter sauce! Oh my goodness, once I discovered that recipe on your blog I about nearly died after drizzleing it on my oatmeal :)

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Mmm I love that too! I haven’t made that in a while.

7 Erika - The Teenage Taste September 13, 2011

Yay for Eric! That oatmeal looks fabulous!
Also, I’m loving this oatmeal round-up. I love that you made Carrot Cake oatmeal. I LOVE Carrot Cake! <3

8 Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh September 13, 2011

These all seem so warm and fall like! I just want to cuddle up with some oatmeal on the couch now ;)

9 Bev Weidner September 13, 2011

I. Am. Dying.

10 Alyssa September 13, 2011

love oatmeal… this post is the perfect thing! i am always looking for a little variation… especially when i run out of bananas!

11 Ashley@MyFoodNFitnessDiaries September 13, 2011

Oh boy, I am so excited to try each of these oatmeals. They are all some of my favorite traditional desserts (pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, zuchinni bread, carrot cake…) I’ve been craving hot oatmeal more lately too, so this is perfect!! Thanks so much for sharing.

12 Rasha @ PBAddiction September 13, 2011

All these ideas are great, and the zucchini bread one is particularly interesting, but the first thing the actually caught my eye was the wooden spoon with the pumpkin oatmeal! I love it.

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Thanks! It’s from Anthropologie…sadly I lost it a while ago!

14 Cassidy September 13, 2011

Banana bread oatmeal…? I can’t remember where I was reading about a “melty banana trick”, but that seems like suuuuuuch a good idea!! And I’m sure you could perfect it! Btw the carrot cake is my fav too. I just made it a few mornings ago :)

15 Lauren September 13, 2011

Yum, good thing I have sweet potatoes, apples, and carrots on hand! Plenty of cinnamon too…

16 ella September 13, 2011

Oh! Those look amazing! Maybe gingerbread oatmeal? I know you have a VOO pumpkin ginger recipe but Maybe a hot oatmeal one with out the pympkin and something else instead? :)

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Love that idea, thanks!

18 Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather September 13, 2011

Food really does taste better when someone else makes it! Way to go Eric! What about some type of chocolate mousse oatmeal… Like dessert for breakfast!

19 Ashley September 13, 2011

I was thinking about zucchini oatmeal with the surplus of zucchini I have around here! Tomorrow, I’m attempting a zucchini bread smoothie…haha We shall see. ;) Sucanat is one of my favorite ingredients everrr. What a genius that Eric is. If I had to choose a bowl, it would be pumpkin. :)

20 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 13, 2011

Its like you read my mind with this post! I was on the search for new variations :)

21 Ashley September 13, 2011

So thats what I need to do to get my husband to make me oatmeal? Noted. ;) I love adding raisins to my oatmeal, they add a nice sweetness and texture.

22 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 13, 2011

I add different things to my oatmeal all the time, depending on my mood! I am loving the goji berries, last of the summer peaches and blueberries and almond butter combo right now! Haha. Your carrot cake oatmeal is definetly one of my “cool weather” (or anytime) favourites! I make it all the time :)

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

You just reminded me of a bowl I made last month with peaches…it was so good with peaches in it! I will have to make it again. Glad you are enjoying the C.cake oats!

24 Michele September 13, 2011

I’m interested in trying out something savory as my husband doesn’t like sweet stuff at breakfast and I want to eat more oatmeal. Thoughts?

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Hey Michelle,

I loooove savoury oatmeal. I actually forgot about it until you mentioned it!
Here’s a post with an idea, although I eat it more of a lunch: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/03/03/youre-so-cheezy/

26 Michele September 13, 2011

Thanks Angela! These look amazing. I can’t wait to try them.

Do you keep two different kinds of almond milk on hand? The one i get is vanilla flavored, but i haven’t tried the plain yet. Do you stick to plain or go for both or make your own? I have also been wondering about soy creamers – are these sweetened for coffee or are they a good replacement for half and half? Sorry for so many questions, I’m slow trying to wean myself off dairy and looking at options.

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Hey Michele, No worries about the questions, I like to help when I can!
When I first bought almond milk, I only bought vanilla, unsweetened. Then I realized that vanilla flavoured almond milk, didn’t always work in savoury ‘dinner’ type recipes.
So then I started buying original, unsweetened…and it’s not as good, but I have sort of been buying it ever since! I tend to always add vanilla in sweet recipes so it’s not a big deal. The only time I miss the flavour is in cold cereal or drinking it straight up.

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Oops I forgot to mention that I haven’t tried the soy creamers before, although I do know people who love them in coffee or tea!

29 Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner September 13, 2011

Carrot cake oatmeal is my favorite, too!! I never have all the ingredients on hand, so I make a sort of abbreviated version, but the other morning I was daydreaming about it and vow to follow your recipe exactly this year. I am so excited!

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

I make a shortened version too, maybe I should post that along with the longer one. Thanks for the reminder!

31 Jillian September 13, 2011

Amaaaazzzinggg post. Oatmeal is the love of my life – and your carrot cake oats have changed my world in a big, bad way. I microwave my overnight oats all the time on busy work days and I love them with a bit of maple syrup, natural peanut butter, and homemade granola on top. Delish. But nothing compares to the recipes you noted. Those are saved and enjoyed on days off :)

I second the call for banana bread or gingerbread oatmeal. I am drooling just thinking about all of this…

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Oops just saw this comment above.

Thank you! So happy you enjoy them so much. :)

33 Jillian September 13, 2011

Oh, and on another note – I have subbed pumpkin for the grated carrots in the carrot cake recipe and it was just as delightful!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Good to know, thanks Jillian!

35 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) September 13, 2011

I’ve been wondering what to do with this season’s inaugural can o’ pumpkin, and that pumpkin pie oatmeal is just the ticket.

Maybe cinnamon bun oatmeal? I also really like the gingerbread idea someone else had. I love red velvet cake, but I think it would be pretty hard to translate that to oatmeal.

36 Michele September 13, 2011

I love red velvet cake too. Beets could color it, but I have no idea how that would taste.

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

So creative! Great idea..cake flavoured oatmeal? Sign me up :)

38 Alana September 13, 2011

I might be going out on a limb here, but I would LOVE a s’more flavoured oatmeal. A little dessert at breakfast never hurt anyone ;)

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

wow now that would be a bowl!

40 Holly @ The Runny Egg September 13, 2011

Honestly I love simple oatmeal with banana chunks mixed in and some walnuts sprinkled on top.

And I totally agree that when someone else cooks the food tastes amazing! I wonder if that is why Jason always wants me to cook dinner — it must taste so good to him!

41 Andrea Muzzatti September 13, 2011

Angela, your posts always make me smile, which is a hard thing to do!! Your self-professed dorky sense of humour really appeals to me…you are awesome!

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Glad I could make you smile!

43 Amy September 13, 2011

I can’t wait to make all of these! Your recipes are my absolute favorite, vegan or not! Good call switching careers because this is definitely your calling :)

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

haha that’s cute thanks!

45 Cait's Plate September 13, 2011

Oh my gosh. Every. SINGLE. one of these made me swoon. But that first picture is absolutely incredible. The epitome of a Fall/Winter breakfast!!

46 Emily September 13, 2011

Wow! Great ideas! For some reason I keep thinking of a creamy cashew avocado oatmeal recipe… yum! I’m also a fan of blending oats (either VOO or leftoer cooked) into smoothies and topping with some crunchy granola

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Great ideas :)

48 Zoe September 13, 2011

Angela, I wasn’t sure where to post this comment but I wanted to let you know that I think your site is fantastic! I had been surfing around for a while trying to find sites to help me make the transition to vegan. I actually started a 6 week ‘trial’ today to see if this is a lifestyle change that I can sustain (giving up meat is not the issue – but I’ll certainly miss greek yogurt!).

I find your site really fun and informative and love your accounts of what worked and what didn’t – you clearly put a lot of effort into your dishes to get it just right.

So, tonight for my first official ‘vegan’ meal I cooked your Mushroom and Carmelized Onion Risotto and it was delicious – looking forward to leftovers tomorrow.

Thanks – I’ll definatley keep posted for new ideas and try out some other recipes.

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Thanks Zoe! I’m happy to hear that you enjoy the blog & your first vegan meal was a success!

50 Anna September 13, 2011

YUM…I can not wait for breakfast time. I am so glad I found a can of pumpkin the other day at the store. I’ll definitely be putting it to good use asap!

51 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 13, 2011

Honestly me and oatmeal making goes like this:
1/3 c whole rolled oats + about 2/3 c water. Nuke in micro for 60 secs. Stir in a HEFTY does of cinny and brown sugar. Nuke again for 30 secs. Stir & wait 5 mins. Devour. It’s easy, it’s no fuss, and did I mention I love microwaves. Yes, I do. :)

But for those times when I am not pressed for time…your recipes make me want to dive in!!!!

52 Marcella September 13, 2011

I have been on a HUGE oatmeal kick lately.

I’ve been making regular oatmeal and then, at the last minute, adding a frozen banana (chopped) and peanut butter. The frozen banana really concentrates the flavor more than a fresh banana. So warm and comforting. Of course, my all time favorite is vanilla extract and pure maple syrup.

These recipes make me want to jump in a pile of leaves!

53 lynn @ the actor's diet September 13, 2011

great post! all of these sound incredibly delicious.

54 Ashley September 13, 2011

I’ve fallen in love with oatmeal! I never used to enjoy it but lately I’ve just been craving it and wanting to try out new recipes for it. I have some carrots in the fridge, so I think I will whip up a batch of the carrot cake kind for the morning:)

55 Abby Taylor September 13, 2011

Please say you will try to create breakfast with coconut…maybe German chocolate? Yes, German Chocolate breakfast sounds right to me!

56 Joy J September 13, 2011

I’m so happy that you are on an oatmeal kick because so am I!

I plan on trying all of these recipes :)

57 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 13, 2011

These all look so ridiculously good! And I agree, everything tastes better when someone else makes it for you! This morning I swirled some pumpkin into my oats – it’s been going into everything lately!! I agree that carrot cake oatmeal is pretty bomb too – adds so much volume! (And lucky you, you’ve got home-grown carrots!!)

58 Albizia September 13, 2011

It is still too hot in my part of the world so for now I prefer my oatmeal cold or even almost frozen. There are a lot of things I love to add but one of my favorite combinations is with peach, cinnamon and sunflower seeds.

59 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 13, 2011

It was hot here today too, about 80F. But I’m still currently enjoying a nice big bowl of hot oatmeal! I love it any time it has any sort of nut butter on top :)

60 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh September 13, 2011

My body is revolting on me with oatmeal but I’m hoping Fall will renew the taste for it. When it does, I’m coming back to this post and diggin’ in babydoll!

61 Liz @ Something To Chew On September 13, 2011

If you include any kind of nut butter on your oatmeal, we can be friends forever :) best topping!!

62 Kelsey September 13, 2011

I started reading you blog a few weeks ago and have tried a few recipes, all of which turned out great! I actually had a few extra minutes this morning and made your apple pie oatmeal, it was WONDERFUL! I was about to get on and look for another oatmeal variation and was pleasantly surprised by your post! I’m trying carrot cake oatmeal tomorrow!

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Enjoy :)

64 Alexis @ hummusapien September 13, 2011

you and youre gorgeous oatmeal!! I may have to lay down the law and finally do the carrot cake oatmeal tomorrow morning. it looks so darn tasty!!

65 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 13, 2011

my all time favorite oatmeal mix in will always be bananas! I love trying new things though and can’t wait to give some of these recipes a try! I’m intrigued by the zucchini…

66 katie@ KatieDid September 13, 2011

I just tried steel cut oats for the first time this morning and I loved them! I’m not a big oatmeal girl, it usually leaves me feeling lethargic and weighted down. I kept it simple this morning though, just cinnamon and butter. It was a perfect fall breakfast.

67 jessy jones September 13, 2011

Just found your blog and i LOVE it! I am in loveeeee with raw overnight oatmeal. I make a huge bowl every single day. Your recipes look divine!

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Thanks Jessy!

69 Lauren September 13, 2011

I am with you 100% on this post. I can’t wait for fall weather. To wear oversized hoodies and leggings/jeggings, make oatmeal and coffee, sit my butt on the couch with a blanket, and watch some television. Or sit outside and read blogs. <3 Even better.

I'm making that sweet potato casserole! Yum!

70 Greta September 13, 2011

How about coconut cream pie oatmeal for your next creation?

I was obsessed with both the carrot and sweet potato oatmeals all of last winter!

71 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 13, 2011

I am currently obsessed with coconut butter as an oatmeal topping. I made some oats recently with coconut milk, coconut butter and shredded coconut. It was delicious :) I really want to try your carrot cake one. I remember seeing that when you first posted it and telling myself to make it, but somehow I never did!

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

that sounds good!

73 kaila@ healthy helper blog! September 13, 2011

I don’t even think I could choose which one sounds best! They all look incredible…..and each one has a fave food combo of mine in it!!! Ang your recipes are to yummy!

74 Christie September 13, 2011

YUM! Oats for lunch anyone? How about cherry coconut oats? The carrot cake oats will be the first I try. Can’t wait to let you know what I think!

75 Lindsey @ Why Just Eat September 13, 2011

I hated oatmeal until about a year ago and now it is my favorite thing. I recently discovered that I LOVE soaked oats! Have you ever tried soaking your grains? I just started about a week ago and have to say that the taste is amazing. Plus my bowl of oats lasts me all the way to lunch now instead of being staved by 10 like I usually am!

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Do you mean soaking like overnight oats?

77 Lindsey @ Why Just Eat September 13, 2011

Sort of but you add an acidic agent to make the nutrients digestible in addition to just soaking them overnight. I add 1T whey to mine. Other options are lemon juice, yogurt (wonder if vegan yogurt alternatives would work?), keifer, buttermilk, etc. There is an excellent post about soaking grains here: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/11/30/soaking-whole-grains-why-do-it/

78 Shady September 13, 2011

I love the transition of fall. I’ll love it more next year when I’m not also going back to school. Also a tip for oatmeal in the morning. Beth from Beth’s Journey posted an awesome technique to make steel cut oats the night before and than all you have to do is add your toppings and heat them up the next morning. I use it all winter as I much prefer the texture of them to regular oats. You can find the recipe here http://bethsjourney.com/heat-n-eat-steel-cut-oats/

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

that’s funny u posted that because I came across that not too long ago and thought it was cool :)

80 Beth @ Beth's Journey September 14, 2011

I’m actually excited it’s getting cooler so I can start making the steel cuts again and eat them hot like that!!

81 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie September 13, 2011

omg I need to try some of your oatmeal recipes! They all look amazing!

p.s. where did you get that spoon from your first picture? its so cute and perfect for fall!

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Thanks :) It’s from anthro (summer 2010)

83 Emilia @ Namaste Gurl September 13, 2011

I’m literally *drooling* over all your scrumptious oatmeal concoctions. You’ve inspired me so and continue to do so! While I’ll miss summer and all its cold and sweet treats, bring on fall and its comforting meals. Just picked up my first cans of pumpkin!

84 FoodFeud September 13, 2011

I love oatmeal but I’m still hanging onto my raw soaked oats for now. Soon, however, I hope to partake of that intriguing zucchini oatmeal – and of course the carrot cake!

85 Angela @ Momethis September 13, 2011

How about a pear and ginger recipe?

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

that sounds yummy & very seasonal too!

87 Regan September 13, 2011

Hi there! I just wanted to say Hi, and Thank you! I am very new to your site, and am also new to vegan cooking. I am so happy to have found a site like yours that explains recipes/methods of cooking/ textures and tastes. Your pictures are just wonderful, also. I can’t wait to start cooking some of your recipes!

Thanks again, I just ‘liked’ you on Facebook to get updates ;)

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

Nice to meet you Regan! :)

89 Nic@diningwithastud September 13, 2011

I never realised oats could be so versatile :) I need to try these!

90 Vicky September 13, 2011

My oatmeal goes like this: 1 banana, and a few handfuls of strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries (frozen), a handful of almonds, a tbsp of ground flax seed and all the cinnamon in the world.
one of my favorite meals of all time.
i was really glad you posted about oatmeal. its so wonderful :D

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

I don’t think I’ve ever had it with berries like that…sounds good! Do you cook the berries or add them last?

92 Amanda September 13, 2011

Oh my, all of these oatmeal recipes look divine! I can’t wait to try the Apple Pie oatmeal – that would be a great start to the day!

93 Lara @TresLaLa September 13, 2011

Ahhh, these sound fantastic! So.many.ideas! Thanks!

94 Theresa V September 14, 2011

Yes! These recipes are a big part of what made me fall in love with your blog. Can’t wait for Fall weather to hit southern California so I can get my hot oatmeal on!

95 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

Thank you Theresa!

96 Marit September 14, 2011

I’m seriously obsessing about cherries and blueberries these days.
I’d love to get on with a warm oat recipe containing them, but unfortunatelly fresh blueberries tend to burst from the heat making the whole thing into a goey yuck-coloured mess. And i don’t enjoy the dried variety as much as the fresh or frozen…
As for cherries i need a large-ish tree to supply my need before i start mixing them with stuff…

97 Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 14, 2011

It’s definitely time for hot oats in Ireland, I was shivering after my overnight oats this morning!

98 Katrina September 14, 2011

All of these look so yummy! Great recipes :)

99 patti farnan September 14, 2011

Loving the apple pie oats!! Yummy!!!

100 Rebekah @ Medicine, Munchies & Movement September 14, 2011

Those bowls of oatmeal look absolutely heavenly! I still have breakfast ahead of me so oatmeal may very well be in the works :).

101 char @ char on a mission September 14, 2011

Now I want Eric to come over and make ME some!!! I don’t live that far away!! I wish it was still blueberry season, because I’d say a nice blueberry oatmeal breakfast crumble. Or (would this be too crazy?) trying a squash oatmeal combo. I really like acorn and I think it might be sweet enough to combined in breakfast!

102 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 14, 2011

I love ALL of those kinds of oatmeal that you posted! But I think my favourite will always be pumpkin. I love that it actually DOES taste like pumpkin pie. :D

103 Caitlin @ Cake with Love September 14, 2011

Apple pie and sweet potato are my favorites! also I am a big fan of OO, oh the photos are amazing, just decided that I will have oatmeal for breakfast!

104 Carolyn September 14, 2011

You should make a light, but tasty, chocolate peanut butter cake oatmeal next!

105 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

I love the way you think!

106 Laura September 14, 2011

I’ve started adding carrots to my oatmeals now because of your posts! Don’t have everything for your recipe though…so it’s usually just okay. I will have to try your pumpkin oatmeal this week. Made the pumpkin smoothie this morning for brekkie and was awesome!

Oatmeal w/ banana and PB is pretty awesome. Or if I’m feeling moody, a square of dark dark chocolate mixed in and melted.

107 Tichina September 14, 2011

Hi Angela! After a much needed trip to bulk barn the other day I made your go glo mix :) It was seriously to die for. I packed all of its goodness into a jar and gobbled up the leftovers!

As for my oatmeal choices it’s pretty simple anything with peanut butter and banana will do!
P.s. isn’t that the way it always works with men? I basically go around sniffing the lovely smelling house and singing my own version of the birthday song aloud every time my boyfriend uses the swifter :) Works like a charm.

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

Glad you liked it!

109 JJ @ 84thand3rd September 14, 2011

This is just ridiculous. I now need to make every single one of these immediately, and tomorrow as I am sitting at my desk staring into my standard oatmeal with apple, cinnamon and blueberries I will be dreaming of all of the above! In other words I can’t wait to try them out!

110 suzanne September 14, 2011

Oh my – the sweet potato and the pumpkin look amazing. Still warm today but tomorrow is supposed to get cold and the next day potential frost! Two of my boys are starting to like this type of thing so I am hoping your incredibly delicious concoctions are a hit at our house! Thanks so much!

111 Jen {The Wholehearted Life} September 14, 2011

It so c-c-c-c-cold here this morning in MN and your apple pie oatmeal is calling my name :). I have a lovely zestar I think I’m going to use!

112 Sarah September 14, 2011

I’ve made the carrot cake oats and the apple pie oats are both are incredible, but I can’t believe chocolate oats didn’t make the list! It is my healthy-pms-craving-buster!
Have you ever done a savory oats recipe?

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

I thought of the chocolate pb oats last night…I think I need to revisit them! heh

Yup I have a great Mexican inspired savoury oats recipe here: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/03/03/youre-so-cheezy/

114 Natalie September 14, 2011

Hi Angela,

These look amazing! On the pumpkin pie link, is there not a print recipe button? I like seeing the nutritional profile on the recipes. Sorry if I’m just missing it!

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

I just added it :)

Many of my recipes do not have print buttons because I didn’t start using the print button until fairly recently.

116 Jenny September 14, 2011

I made your apple pie oatmeal multiple times this past winter… The spices (the addition of ginger is subtle but lovely!) really take it to the next level! And the walnuts on top provide the perfect amount of crunch. I don’t even like apple pie, but, needless to say, I’m a HUGE fan of that recipe. I’ll be trying the rest this fall and winter… Especially looking forward to trying the pumpkin pie oatmeal one!

Lucky Ontarionites (Ontarians? Ontarioners?)… Nice hot weather all summer. Although, it gets super cold in the winter, doesn’t it? Guess it all evens out?!

117 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy September 14, 2011

All these oatmeal recipes just look amazing! I want to try your apple pie oatmeal. I stocked up on apples yesterday and I think apple pie oatmeal would be the perfect way to use them! Here in Minnesota we are having chilly mornings, perfect for oatmeal! I made a batch over baked oatmeal which I have been enjoying on these chilly mornings!

118 Alex @ Raw Recovery September 14, 2011

I’ve recently made a chocolate banana oatmeal flavor, using banana as the base instead of water or milk. I used cocoa powder and some vanilla extract and it was ah-mazing.

119 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

that sounds great!

120 robyn September 14, 2011

My favorite meal of the day and when theres awesome recipes like yours it’s like dessert too!

121 Sabrina September 14, 2011

Yes Banana Banana Banana! If they are still yellow then I slice it in but I prefer them over ripe and I just mush it all up! I top it with nutmeg and some maple syrup. I dont know why the nutmeg works I was just craving it on top one morning and now I cant stop!!!
Sabs.

122 Nikita September 14, 2011

Pumpkin oatmeal is my favorite! I like overnight oats better than cooked oats though so maybe I should expand my repertoire by trying some of your hot oatmeal recipes- that carrot cake one looks divine!

123 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

I prefer overnight oats too for some reason! I find those 5 hot oats I can get excited about though!

124 Hayley @ Oat Couture September 14, 2011

Mmmm those apple pie oats are literally calling out to me!! It won’t get cold here for another couple of months but I am already eagerly anticipating cozying up with my morning bowl of hot oats! :) YUM!

125 Sara September 14, 2011

I think I’ve had ever possible oatmeal combination. It’s my favorite meal. Lately I’ve been loving dark chocolate oatmeal and raspberries and cream. The “cream” is mixing some yogurt in at the end. It’s to die for.

126 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

That sounds like a killer combo :) mmm. Maybe coconut milk or cream would work too.

127 Ranelle September 14, 2011

I’ve been enjoying your VOO and these hot oatmeal recipes will be awesome now that the seasons are changing. Some ideas for new oatmeal that you might want to try (‘cuz you’re a culinary genius): blueberry pie, coffee cake, or a banana nut bread!

128 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

Love those ideas…especially coffee cake! lol

129 F September 14, 2011

Angela, I’ve been looking for new ideas for my oatmeal, I’m so glad I stopped by. Somehow I knew you would have just the thing!
Thanks :-)

130 Mimi (Gingersnaps) September 14, 2011

Heh, I’ve been burned out on oats for awhile, but this is making my tummy grumble.

Since you like basing oatmeal off pies, here’s another few you might want to consider playing with some day:

– Rhubarb pie (sweet and tart, nom!)
– Boston Cream Pie
– An oatmeal version of that amaaaaazing pumpkin pie brownie thing you made. I made the pie for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it. Would love to get a glimpse of it at breakfast without all the “desserty” effects.

131 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

Soooo creative, I love your ideas!

132 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner September 14, 2011

I can’t wait to try the Apple Pie Oatmeal! My sister and I were actually talking about oatmeal last night.. how it’s getting cooler out and that I can’t wait to start eating it again. I don’t know what but the thought of eating a bowl of oatmeal in the summer time makes my stomach turn.

133 Teniesha @ Vegan on the Go-Go September 14, 2011

One of these mornings (maybe even tomorrow), I’ll be cracking open a can of pumpkin for pumpkin pie oats! Autumn is here! :D

And that spoon is absolutely beautiful, by the by! <3

134 Sarah Dean September 14, 2011

What about a key lime oatmeal? I LOVEEEEE key lime pie…if only it were HEALTHY! Wink wink, nudge nudge!:)

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

I love key lime, but I never would have thought to make it into a bowl of oats! Now I’m thinking tropical like pineapple & lime…coconut milk? That would be good I bet.

136 Sarah Williams September 15, 2011

YUM!!! That sounds delicious!!!!

137 Tess September 14, 2011

Omigosh, I read the zucchini bread recipe and just had to rush out this morning to get the ingredients! Wow – sooooo good! I had to omit some things to meet my caloric needs (brown sugar, milk, and butter) but it was still delicious. Green is not a color I generally see in my oatmeal, but I think it’s about to become a regular occurrence ;)

138 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

heh glad you liked it!

139 erika September 14, 2011

I love the zucchini bread oatmeal – what a great way to get in more veggies – having that tomorrow for sure!

140 Britt @ runwithbritt September 14, 2011

I can’t wait to make apple pie oatmeal :) it looks so delicious! You should try to make a Elvis inspired batch of oats with banana and peanut butter!

141 Moni'sMeals September 14, 2011

I am going to agree, all 5 of them can’t be beat! Oatmeal on Steroids right!

New flavor…”White chocolate?”

:) :) :)

142 Jessica September 14, 2011

That is so sweet your hubby made oats for you! EVERYTHING tastes better when someone else makes it. And does the dishes afterwards.
So far I have tried your apple pie oats (a staple in my house, it even got my 3 year old and 5 year old to eat oats!), pumpkin pie, and carrot cake. They are all divine. I work nights and it is very tempting to come home in the mornings and pig out on junk food. But I make overnight oats before I go to work at night and come home to a delicious bowl of oats! I rarely have coconut milk handy, is there a good substitute for it in the carrot cake oats?

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

You can really use any non-dairy milk that you like (if that’s what you use). It will still turn out, but maybe not as creamy as the coconut milk version. You may have to reduce the liquid amount too.

Glad the oatmeal recipes are enjoyed!

144 Tonya September 14, 2011

Great! My son is in high school now and he has to wake up pretty early to get out the door on time. This often results in him eating school breakfasts unbeknownst to me. ugh. He’s not an oatmeal eater but with these recipes I think I can make him a believer. :-) We will go with the overnight oats so that they’re prepared beforehand for him to heat up in the morning. Thanks!

145 Taryn {The Rambling Runner} September 14, 2011

Just this morning I was looking for hot oatmeal ideas for breakfast! What perfect timing. I can’t wait to try the apple pie oatmeal! Thank you!

146 Amber K September 14, 2011

It went from 95 degrees one day to 65 the next so it’s definitely “fall” where I’m at, but I’m still totally eating overnight oats. Although I have yet to find a good dairy-free alternative. I mix my oats with Greek yogurt and haven’t been able to find anything dairy-free and soy-free that is that thick. I wanted to try coconut yogurt, but it has xanthan gum in it which I also can’t have. Boo! I’m tempted to try to put coconut milk through cheesecloth to see if I can make my own “yogurt.”

147 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

If you try that out please let me know!

148 Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 14, 2011

Oh wow. Makes my walnut and chocolate-chip-topped oatmeal feel so boring! I gotta try one of these next time! And they’re all so ‘fall’, with the carrots and cinnamon and apples…yum!

149 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

I dont think chocolate chips can ever be boring! ;)

150 Irini September 14, 2011

I love this post! It’s like a positive spin on fall and the cold weather. I’m psyched about the sweet potato oatmeal casserole, making that tonight for a treat tomorrow morning :)

151 Jaclyn T September 14, 2011

I love dates, cinnamon, nutmeg, stevia, chia seeds, psyllium husk, and peanut butter (sometimes in the same batch!)!

–Jaclyn T

Giveaway for a necklace on my blog:

152 Karen September 14, 2011

I love to add slivered almonds, orange rind and dried cranberries to my morning bowl of oatmeal! Yummy. I can’t wait to try your recipes.

153 Liz @ Southern Charm September 14, 2011

Yummm. [Licking lips] these oatmeal recipes look delicious! I must try the carrot, pumpkin pie and sweet potato … stat!

154 AGS September 14, 2011

One of the things I like about you/your blog is how much you talk up Eric. It’s really awesme!

155 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

:) I’m glad that comes across…he’s the apple of my eye.

156 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 14, 2011

I love the story about Eric making your oatmeal! :) Sometimes the little things can just totally make a person’s day! My favorite hot oats are definitely pumpkin.

157 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 14, 2011

What a great collection of recipes! I love pumpkin in oatmeal and am very excited to try out the sweet potato one! I think a berry cheesecake inspired oatmeal would be delicious.

158 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 14, 2011

I love mixing berries, pumpkin, granola, and yogurt into my oatmeal! But not all at the same time! ;-)

159 Jenny @ Simply Be...me September 14, 2011

I am back on the hot oat train too! I have been enjoying peaches and cream oatmeal thanks to all the lovely peaches we have. Topped with coconut it’s a great way to start the day. I bought some pumpkin yesterday and think I will have to add your recipe to the oat roster for tomorrow.

160 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

I must must must make peaches and cream oats! I just bought a big case of peaches :)

161 Andrea September 14, 2011

MMMMM hot oats :) Probably my favorite and most comforting food as of late. I LOVE the spoon in the picture of your pumpkin pie oats! And I will definately be trying out the carrot cake mixture as well as the zucchini concoction :) Especially while zucchinis are still in season! :)

162 Jenn September 14, 2011

Great timing! It’s been below zero here in the morning the last week. Can’t wait to try the sweet potato and apple pie ones!

163 Laura September 14, 2011

Next time, how about adding coconut milk or cream, covering the top of the oatmeal with a little more sucunat and popping it under the grill (watching it carefully!) to make a caramelised hard top a la creme brulee? We’re still waiting for our summer to come over in the U.K. ;( The summers are not what they used to be in the good old days! I bet Sketchie’s not looking forward to the colder weather…

164 Laura September 14, 2011

I tend to stick with my fav banana oatmeal, but these look so delish I must try them out :)

165 Ellie@fitforthesoul September 14, 2011

ahhhhh delicious!! haha you almost got me when you said it didn’t taste good :P I love banana, pumpkin, and carob in my oatmeals. I had carob raspberry voo today and it was great! I love putting in pb chips or carob chips, and sometimes dried apricots!!! Seriously, so deliciously crispy and plump! If you haven’t tried it, try it. <3

166 amanda September 14, 2011

apple butter is SO GOOD in oats.

167 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

guess what Im making today? ;)

168 amanda September 14, 2011

oh yum!!!! i’ve never made homemade, but i’m lucky to live in Pennsylvania, apple butter capital of the US! :-)

169 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

lucky girl! It’s so expensive to buy it here. I think I’m making a boat load for about the same price :)

170 tweal September 14, 2011

Just this morning I had oats for the first time in months – maybe even a year. They were good but surely not as tasty as anything you shared here. I can’t wait to try the zucchini and carrot versions.

171 Sarah @ studiofood September 14, 2011

I love a recipe I got from Heidi @ 101 Cookbooks, which is in her book I bought. I highly recommend it! It’s just oatmeal with prunes and hazelnuts, but it’s so awesome with a drizzle of maple syrup. Just finished this morning’s bowl!

172 Katie | @wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com September 14, 2011

All of these recipes look amazing and you got me started on Vegan Overnight Oats almost 2 yrs ago and I haven’t stopped loving them! I love added carob powder, cinnamon, stevia, and maple syrup…. YUM!

I really want/need to try your Apple Pie oatmeal recipe!

173 Nicole @ giraffelegs September 14, 2011

perfect post!! Love oatmeal so much, I eat it every day. I tried your sweet potato recipe and fell in love..we are getting married.

174 Lia September 14, 2011

So basically, my boyfriend hates oatmeal but eats it practically every morning because he has not broadened his breakfast horizons. I showed him smoothies and his life changed. But now I want to show him that oatmeal can be more than the taste of oats and water and sometimes peanut butter. I just e-mailed this link to him. Let’s hope it changes his life and he becomes an oatmeal lover. ;) You’re awesome

175 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

I hope so too!

176 Molly @ RDexposed September 14, 2011

I’m not sure if I’ve ever asked the boy to make ME oatmeal. I’m not sure I would want to risk a single morning of bad oats.

177 Melissa Cashin September 14, 2011

mmmm i love making apple pie oats! I always put a blob of apple butter with mine though.. Peanut butter and jelly oats are pretty good too. But have you ever tried savory oats?!? I love them! Oats with some salt , pepper, sometimes a little soy sauce, and (fake) cheese with an egg on top.. I know you don’t eat eggs, but maybe some with tempeh bacon on top?

178 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

I LOVE savoury oats!! I have a Mexican inspired recipe on the blog and it’s my go to for a warm lunch. mmmmm. I havent had any for breakfast yet though!

179 Kathy September 14, 2011

I’ve tried all but the zucchini bread oatmeal on your list, and I just love them, esp the sweet potato and carrot cake one.
…you know…this sounds so much better than the pancakes I make every Sunday that I freeze and take out the following night so it can thaw…Darn school! I can never wake up early enough actually cook up a bowl of oats, but that quick pinch tip sure sounds good!

180 mary @ what's cookin with mary September 14, 2011

You’re making me want breakfast for dinner ! I haven’t had any hot oats since last winter. Looking forward to trying out your Apple Pie Oatmeal. Who could resist those tasty little bits of apple-y goodness.

181 Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit September 14, 2011

There is most definitely a chill in the air, I made a version of “carrot muffin oatmeal” yesterday for breakfast as well – with garden fresh carrots! NUM!

182 JenATX September 14, 2011

oatmeal is so comforting & homey… ahhhhh :) One of my fav things in the winter is waking up, making my oatmeal, and eating it under the covers while I watch the morning news (yes, I eat my breakfast in bed sometimes, don’t judge!)

183 Kristi @lifesprinkles September 14, 2011

These look absolutely delicious!! I’m going to get right on the carrot cake oatmeal! :)

184 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 15, 2011

I love oatmeal and all of these look to die for- yum!

185 Miranda @MirandaGibson September 15, 2011

The only plus side to a chilly morning is a warm bowl of oatmeal. I’ve been enjoying walnut, banana, raisin lately *yum*! :D

186 Cassandra September 15, 2011

I think you read my mind! I had my first bowl of warm oatmeal yesterday morning (basically what I put in the overnight kind — almond milk, protein powder, carob, chia, cinnamon, raisins, and/or sometimes frozen blueberries). The weather changed so fast here in Chicago, and I love the season of fall, but I don’t know if I’m ready to give up summer yet! :)

187 Beach Bum Beauty September 15, 2011

I make your overnight recipe and then my wonderful husband heats it up on the stove for me. It starts my day off perfectly xx

188 Becky September 15, 2011

“Favourite” is my favourite way of spelling “favourite”. ;-)

The carrot cake oatmeal looks amazing! I rarely have time in the morning to get so creative, but I may just have to make that over the weekend. Ahh, the joy of oats – truly one of life’s simple pleasures!

189 Emily September 15, 2011

I made the Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole last night but I used organic canned pumpkin instead sweet potato. I’m having it for breakfast right now and it is DELICIOUS!
Thank you for yet another stellar recipe!

190 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it!

191 Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY September 15, 2011

I’m impressed with your creativity with oatmeal. Zucchini! Sweet potatoes! Oh my!

That said, I’m not on the oatmeal bandwagon, I find that my body just doesn’t work well with carbs first thing in the morning. Though I seem to be unable to turn down bagels and cream cheese, they don’t leave me feeling my best.

192 Karen September 15, 2011

Here’s a zingor for you…
I love oatmeal and all these recipes sound fabulous! However, I like to use steel cut oats which take a lot longer to cook than old fashioned rolled oats.

Any tips for adjusting the cooking method/times?

193 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

I hope to have a post up tomorrow about this!

194 Jess September 15, 2011

I think this is going to be an absolute perfect way to get my 3 year old the nutrients she needs! She loves oatmeal so this could be kismet. Looking forward to trying out several, and finding many more of your recipes to implement into our rotations.

195 Stacey Shaffer September 16, 2011

I like peanut butter and banana sandwiches and think that would make an excellent base for oatmeal. I love all of your oatmeals by the way:)

196 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 16, 2011

I love mixing PB into oatmeal.

Some of my favourite oatmeal combinations that I have made have been:

Smores Oatmeal
Mocha Coconut Oatmeal
Creme Brulee Oatmeal
Chocolate Banana Cream Pie Oatmeal

197 Margy Rose September 17, 2011

Savory oatmeal: load up your cooking oatmeal with finely chopped veggies (I like frozen peas, shredded carrots, broccoli and shredded zucchini) few of your fav spices(I love smoked paprika, basil, and turmeric) and throw some cottage cheese in towards the end of cooking. Top it with eggs cooked your fav way and I never forget the hot sauce. Gives my oatmeal that extra protein I need and that keeps me really full.

198 Katie @ BloomEveryday September 17, 2011

Perfect breakfast(s)!

199 Kelsey September 17, 2011

All of these look delish! I just posted my first post on pumpkin oatmeal and my picture looks not as good as your’s. I’ll have to get some photography tips from you :) great blog- thanks for posting!

200 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2011

haha dont worry mine usually doesnt look that photogenic! ;) Must have been a good day

201 Karina September 18, 2011

id love if you made a chocolate-y oatmeal!

202 Heather September 18, 2011

I just recently found your website and decided to try out the hot pumpkin pie oatmeal on Sunday. Flavor explosion! Oh wow! I’m in love with this oatmeal! Thank god I bought a lot of pumpkin!

I’m not even done with it yet, and I needed to rave about it. I can’t wait to try the others!

203 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it Heather!

204 Megan Wtsn September 21, 2011

I made the apple pie oatmeal today and i was surprised that it made so much! It will definitely keep me full. I think it would be good to make for someone else too!

What about a banana fosters oatmeal?

I have done something like that before by cooking banana slices in agave and then pouring over cooked oatmeal and topping with walnuts. I don’t know how similar it is to the real banana fosters, but I loved the cooked banana flavor!

205 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2011

I agree, the apple pie makes a ton!!! Love the volume food :)

206 Esther October 20, 2011

I made the carrot cake oatmeal today…HEAVEN!!
I can’t wait to make this for friends and fam for the holidays. Thank you!

207 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 20, 2011

Hey Esther, Im happy to hear that!

208 Andrew MacLeod May 3, 2012

Well there is another recipe and a favourite in Scotland. Normally used as a side dish but you can eat a bowl if you like as a meal, it’s delicious.

You will need pinhead oatmeal (not the flakes) just the ground oatmeal. For 1 cup add 1 small chopped onion and mix together with some oil (just enought to cover all the oatmeal).

Microwave on medium for about 5 minutes or to the consistency you prefer and until there is a nutty taste……stir a couple of times during cooking, add salt and that’s it done..perfect ‘skirlie’ as it is known.

I like to add it to bouled cabbage or mashed potatoes…yum!!!!! A dish you will use again and again.

209 BOB October 15, 2012

i am a guy

210 Jenc January 30, 2013

I don’t have measurements as I kind of wing it, but I adapted this from oatmeal I bought at Whole Foods and I love, love it!

Quick oats
Almond milk
Brown Sugar
Coconut (shaved or shredded)
Dried cherries
Slivered or sliced almonds
Vanilla
Chia seeds
Pinch of salt

A lot of ingredients, but so worth it! :)

211 Carol October 25, 2014

Yesterday I tried your maple-cinnamon apple & pear oatmeal from your book and let me tell you…….I had an ahhhhh moment!! This was the best thing I’ve had!!! I made it for breakfast and had some for dessert after making your crispy quinoa cakes for dinner lol. I will be making this until the cows come home!!!! And that will be a long time since I live in the city hahaha!!!!

212 Melissa October 26, 2015

Hi Angela. I just made your carrot cake oatmeal and it’s incredibly delicious!
I did have to substitute a few ingredients but will make it exactly as you did the next time. I love oatmeal but I pretty much make it the same everytime. So this was amazing. I will make all your top 5 asap. I’m excited to surprise my family with your recipes!
The subs I had to make were Rice Milk, instead of Almond and a little brown sugar because I’d used up my maple syrup the night before making a glaze for Brussel sprouts, which was delicious. I’m not a big comment person, but I just had to thank you for posting this recipe!
Warmly,