Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

IMG 1724 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

Lately, I’ve been doing everything in my power to use up my garden vegetables.

Over the past week I’ve been enjoying Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto, Long Weekend Grilled Salad, Kale Chips, cucumbers and hummus, Weekend Glow Kale Salad, and Chocolate Chip Cookies. To balance out the vegetables of course.

This end of season bounty reminds me of the organic Plan B CSA that we had last summer. There is so much produce to use up!

IMG 1677 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

I even started gathering “bouquets” of kale and giving it away to friends and neighbors as I beam with pride, “I brought this for you!”

“Oh, you shouldn’t have….really you shouldn’t have.”

I think I might be starting to lose friends.

We’ve been getting a lot of wet and humid weather lately and I realized if I leave the peppers on the plant too long the inside starts to grow mold. Never a good thing to discover when you slice one open!

I knew that I had to use up these beautiful peppers…or bust.

IMG 1679 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

And because I seem to be obsessed with roasting and grilling things lately, I decided to roast my peppers. Roasting is a great way to “condense” a large amount of vegetables. Kale chips, I’m looking at you!

How To Roast Peppers

Ever roasted peppers before? I used to be scared to try because I thought it was really difficult. You want me to PEEL the skin off? How in the world…?

Turns out, it’s so easy Sketchie could do it! Although, he does have really long claws…

IMG 1700 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

1. Start by preheating the broil setting on your oven (I used heat setting 4 out of a possible range of 5) and move the rack up to the top or second highest spot. Line a large baking sheet with tinfoil.

2. With a paring knife, carefully slice a circle around the top of the pepper. You can use any type of pepper you prefer! I used bell peppers and banana peppers, as that’s what I grew in my garden.

Discard the inner flesh and seeds as best as you can.

IMG 1685 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

3. With the cut side down, slice down the middle of the pepper, creating two halves.

IMG 1687 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

Like so. Remove rest of seeds.

IMG 1688 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

4. With your hand, SQUASH each piece! Whee!

IMG 1689 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

I’m sorry for this picture, I really am. I’m a one woman show, clearly.

Squashed!

IMG 1696 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

5. Place all the flattened pieces onto your baking sheet. I roasted about 6 small peppers, but if using large ones, you could probably use 3?

IMG 1699 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

P.S.- This baking sheet should be lined with tin foil not parchment- I changed this after I took the photo.

6. Broil for about 10-13 minutes, until blackened. My peppers were in there about 12-13 minutes at broil setting 4.

IMG 1700 thumb1   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

7. This is where your tin foil comes in handy! Carefully wrap up the peppers with the tin foil and let it steam for about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, you can prepare your hummus ingredients.

IMG 1702 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

8. After 15-20 mins, gently peel off the blackened skin. This is why it’s important to really blacken your peppers; the more black the skin gets the easier it is to peel away. It really does come off easy.

IMG 1705 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

Your discard pile on the left and your delicious roasted peppers on the right:

IMG 1708 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

Now it’s time to make delicious, creamy roasted red pepper hummus. It’s just what you do!

IMG 1713 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

IMG 1715 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

Thanks to the delicious roasted peppers, this is the creamiest and silkiest hummus to come out of my processor!

IMG 1717 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

I couldn’t get over how smooth it became once I put the roasted peppers in. It was as if I added a half cup of oil, only I didn’t. Yeehaw.

IMG 1719 thumb   Ultra Creamy Red Pepper Hummus & How To Roast Peppers

This counts as lunch, right?

Brittany @ Runwithbritt September 9, 2011

Roasted red pepper hummus is my favorite kind! I have a thing for the Athenos brand at HEB. Thank you for a homemade recipe! I love making things myself because I know exactly what goes into them. I’m always afraid that big companies add harmful things into food to increase shelf life, so I have to be really careful with what I buy.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 9, 2011

Thanks for showing how easy the process is. I’ve always been scared of roasting peppers thinking I’d either burn myself, the house or be stuck peeling skins for like 8 hours or something!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn September 9, 2011

I seriously miss good hummus. Dining hall food makes me want to vom. Come visit and bring me a batch?!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh September 9, 2011

Oh I am all over this like a (clever quip here)!!

Trader Joe’s Chipotle Hummus is my favorite and it would be awesome to be able to make a similar recipe since they’re known to lure you in, make you love a product and then snatch it away from you! (RIP Thai Lime Rice and Strawberry Yogurt)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 9, 2011

YUM! I definetly need to eat more hummus now….this looks fantastic :)

AGS September 9, 2011

Grilling them works pretty well, too. Next time you have a ton of red peppers, roast them/grill them until blackended and remove the skin. The gently saute some garlic in olive oil, add the roasted peppers, with some water, along with a small potato or sub some milk for water (for creaminess). Freshly ground coriandor is a nice spice addition along iwth S&P. Blenderize. Voila — roasted tomato soup. You can do this with squash, too. Works as a chilled soup, as well.

AGS September 9, 2011

err. . .roasted pepper soup. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011

mmm sounds lovely!

Kate September 9, 2011

i’d eat that for breakfast it looks fabulous!

Noelle September 9, 2011

I would LOVE to be your neighbor. You would be the greatest neighbor ever. God knows the neighborhood we live in is like dry toast land. Can’t wait to move next year! Lovely hummus recipe. Have a lovely day!

Giulia @ Tutupa's Lab September 9, 2011

can’t wait to try this out! And I have red peppers in my fridge right now…ehehe guess I know what will happen to them!

Sarah September 9, 2011

I LOVE red pepper hummus! It is my favorite kind. I’ve been planning to make some but haven’t felt inspired. This did the trick! Thanks as always.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 9, 2011

I love the rich moisture that roasted red peppers adds! They’re by far one of my favourite hummus and salad ingredients. PS. If you came to my door with a bunch of kale, I’d be over the moon. Might even make you some kale chips! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011

We need to be neighbours :)

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense September 9, 2011

I have a jar of tahini that I need to use… definitely going to try this hummus recipe today =) Looks amazing!

Miriam @ Overtime Cook September 9, 2011

Loved your original hummus recipe, and this one looks amazing. I absolutely love roasted red pepper hummus. Been buying it for ages, but only got into making my own hummus recently. Haven’t experimented with many flavors yet, but I’ve got to try this. :) Thank you!

-Miriam

Laura September 9, 2011

YUM! Roasted peppers on anything is totally my jam. That hummus looks so luxurious!

I’ve been giving my peeps the “greens bouquet” too! A little red and green chard, some regular kale, little dino kale, maybe some parsley sprigs… Flowers are boooring!

Sara September 9, 2011

I made the roasted roma tomatoes and then went out, bought more, and have been making them with every meal since. I can’t believe I’ve never done that before! I will roast some peppers, but the past couple times I’ve made hummus it’s been disgusting. I don’t think it was the recipe though. You know how sometimes a certain food just grosses you out? Maybe I just need a hummus break. Anyway, these roasting recipes are fun! I hope there’s more! :)

Faith @ For the Health of It September 9, 2011

I had absolutely no idea how roasted peppers came about – I can’t wait to make a roasted pepper avocado spread for sandwiches this week!

Steph @ A Life without Ice Cream September 9, 2011

That looks heavenly!!

I don’t ever use that much tahini in my hummus recipes but I’m going to have to give it a try…1/4 cup eh… I’m on it!

VeggieGirl September 9, 2011

I roasted peppers recently for a tagine I made, it was weird! But tasty :)

Jen September 9, 2011

I already added your Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto to my “to-make” list, and now I have this to add. I love roasted red peppers. I would probably eat them straight out of the oven before even getting out my food processor to make the hummus. And thank you for the foil tip! I would always use parchment!

By the way, I’ll take as many kale bouquets as you’re willing to give. Your neighbors are lucky!

Sweet and Savvy September 9, 2011

That is so cool! I have always been intimidated to roast peppers, but With these directions, I Think I can handle it! :) thanks for sharing!

tonya September 9, 2011

Hi, Angela

Can I ask you a gardening question? I just started gardening this year. For my summer veggies I started with transplants but for the fall I’m starting from scratch with seeds. I have a little greenhouse filled with pellets that will turn into individual plants for me to transfer. (They’re sprouting already!) I have things like kale, beets, snap peas, arugula, spinach, broccoli, etc. My question is how many seeds does it take to grow one plant?? I can’t find this info anywhere. I just took a guess and planted about 5 of the teeny tiny kale seeds per pellet, about 3 of the larger snap pea seeds per pellet and about 2-3 for the beets. How the heck am I supposed to know how many seeds it takes to make one plant? I’m just totally guessing here.

thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011

Hmm good question! When I planted seeds (like for my carrots) I just read the spacing requirements on the back of the package or in my gardening book (the low maintenance garden). It usually said 1) how deep to plant the seeds, and 2) how far apart they should be. I guess for pellets it would be more difficult to figure out (I planted straight into the bed), but maybe someone else can help you out here!

tonya September 9, 2011

Yeah I can totally find how far apart you should space them and how deep they should go but not how much 1 seed will give you. for example for your carrots did you plant one teeny tiny seed then another seed 3 inches away from it or did you drop in several seeds and 3 inches further you dropped another few seeds…I guess what I’m saying is–if we’re using carrots as an example, will one tiny carrot seed yield a bunchful of carrots? I know I sound extremely ocd about this LOL! but it’s all new to me. I need to befriend a farmer :-S

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011

oops I forgot to answer that part of the Q! lol.
Yes I would plant just 1 seed, although that was hard to do as the seeds are SO tiny! Sometimes I ended up dropping 2-3 in the same spot by mistake. Seemed to turn out ok for the carrots…the beets never came up though (I thought they did but it was a weed!)

tonya September 9, 2011

Thank you so much! Isn’t it amazing that food starts so small?? You can pay like a dollar for a bazillion seeds instead of spending all that money at the grocery store. Looks like I’m gonna have quite a harvest for my balcony box with all the seeds I dropped in. ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011

haha yea that’s what I said when I planted them! I’m sure you will do great. And what doesn’t work out is usually a lesson learned. Although not in the case with my beets… ;)

Chloe (In Fine Feather) September 9, 2011

I just bought some roasted red peppers for the convenience but I’ll definitely look for some on sale and try my hand at roasting them myself! Roasted red pepper hummus is one of my favorite things, and I also love adding them to salads or sandwiches for an oomph of flavor :)

Kim September 9, 2011

Feel free to send some of your extra produce my way, Angela. :)

This hummus looks fantastic! I may have to pull out my food processor today. Your original hummus is one of my go-to recipes already.

Adriane September 9, 2011

Angela-
I made the Roasted Tomato and Basil Pesto last night and the roasted tomatoes were the best thing ever!
I was wondering if it would work to use roasted tomatoes to make hummus as a substitute for the peppers? If not I’ll def be making the red pepper hummus next week!
Thanks,
Adriane

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011

I was wondering the same thing! I think the roasted tomatoes would make the hummus more watery. You could try adding a bit at a time, or maybe Google some roasted tomato hummus recipes to see how others did it. Good luck!

Adriane September 9, 2011

When I googled it I found a few, but I didn’t see any mention of doing anything different to avoid the excess water from the tomatoes. I may try doing it and just dicing the tomatoes after roasting them to squeeze out the water and patting them dry with a paper towel.

Heather (heathers dish) September 9, 2011

Totally counts as lunch. Holy yum!

Cait's Plate September 9, 2011

LOVE the roasted red peppers. They look so beautiful with the char on them – and you can’t beat them as a flavoring for hummus!

katie@ KatieDid September 9, 2011

heck yes that counts as lunch! I posted s very similar recipe a while back and it was some of the tastiest hummus I’ve ever had. Sweet and smokey from the peppers.
And you would not lose me as a friend if you brought me kale! I’ve been eating it by the pound this past week, sauteed with garlic and onions, its SO delicious I can’t seem to get enough of it.

Alex @ Raw Recovery September 9, 2011

I love red peppers, I’m just not a fan of them roasted, no idea why. Though I do love red pepper hummus!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 9, 2011

Yum! I just bought a food processor and I need to christen it with some hummus! I love roasted red peppers, looks like this could be a winner.

Jenny September 9, 2011

If you brought me bouquets of kale, I would love you for it. Your neighbours are crazy. (Bunches of organic kale will run you $3 to $4 here in Vancouver! And conventional will still cost about $2 for a small bunch.)

I’ve always been afraid of roasting red peppers, too, for… no reason. I guess the unknown always seems “scary” or, at the very least, intimidating! But red pepper hummus was the first type of hummus I ever tried… so I’ll definitely have to give this a go. I never knew that you had to squash the peppers!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 9, 2011

I’d be your BEST friend if you showed up with kale… mmmmmmmmmm kale!

Looks awesome! I love roasted peppers!!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 9, 2011

“Roastedness” = totally a word :P

This looks great, and I love that it’s not too heavy on the tahini.

Jamie Rebecca September 9, 2011

i love how u show every step in the pictures. i’ve been married for 4 years and have a 3 year old. we’ve been really unhealthy in our lives. i’m looking for a change and have to admit… i don’t even know the basics, like roasting peppers. i’d love to see more articles on basics…. like a serious how to basics. my husband brought home a zucchini the other day and we just looked at it. i have no idea what to do with veggies. i’m at a loss! <3<3<3 ur very inspiring!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually hope to do many more ‘how-to’ posts!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy September 9, 2011

Thank you for the fabulous step by step on how to roast peppers! I have been wanting to roast peppers for the longest time but was so scared I would mess it up!

And that hummus looks to dye for!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 9, 2011

Oh it totally counts as a lunch. I love the step by step on roasting peppers. Honestly, I’ve never tried it!

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 9, 2011

I love roasted peppers but I’ve never made my own — they look pretty simple (and fun) to make!

Danielle @ Dish'n'Dash September 9, 2011

I would LOVE it if someone showed up at my door with a bouquet of kale!

Can’t wait to try the recipe – and thanks for the roasting tips! I’ve been scared to roast my own peppers but will definitely try it now.

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes September 9, 2011

Hummus is the best! This sounds so good. I think I’ll go make it for lunch! Thanks!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 9, 2011

I love roasted red peppers! I’ve never made them but my mother does it by using the flame on the stove-top!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel September 9, 2011

normally ive only seen pepper roasting over the stove to get that nice flame char but i really love your method and clearly it works just as well! Such a beautiful hummus- the best hummus is always homemade :)

xoxo <3