Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

IMG 1422 2 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

We haven’t been this excited about a dinner recipe in a long time.

IMG 1463 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

Probably not since the 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta, which Eric said – in between shoveling this pasta in his mouth – is “not as good as this roasted tomato pesto recipe”.

I didn’t believe it, but after tasting and then devouring my own bowl of pesto (ok, there was some pasta in there too), I may have to agree with him. This is by far, the best pesto I’ve made or perhaps ever tasted.

IMG 1424 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

Don’t be put off by the colour, I promise it tastes much better than it looks. ;)

We enjoyed it so much, I made two batches over the long weekend and froze some for a later date. In January, there will be no tears over tasteless tomatoes as long as I have this pesto waiting for us!

IMG 1466 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

If I can wait that long to eat it, that is.

Outlook not good.

IMG 1465 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

IMG 1415 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

I decided to roast the tomatoes first to give the pesto a really deep flavour. So glad I did!!

First, I drizzled them with olive oil and sprinkled them with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

IMG 1419 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

Into the pre-heated oven they went at 400F for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. The longer they roast, the more delicious they become. The bottoms will be blackened slightly, but not to worry as it only enhances the flavour.

IMG 1422 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

After cooling slightly, I ate one straight off the pan. And I almost burned my mouth off, but it was so worth it. I’m surprised that the rest of them made it into the processor!

IMG 1431 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

While the processor blade is spinning, add two garlic cloves. Let it whirl around until the garlic is chopped. Next, add 1 cup of tightly packed basil and process. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spoon. With the processor on, add in 1/4 cup oil, 1.5 cups of roasted tomatoes, nutritional yeast (optional), and salt and pepper to taste. Pulse in the toasted almonds.

I’m loving this olive oil right now:

IMG 1121 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

IMG 1423 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

This pesto is so delicious it’s unreal.

This was my first batch and I used 1 cup of roasted tomatoes, but I suggest using 1.5 cups of roasted tomatoes as I did in my second batch. You get more bang for your buck!

IMG 1424 thumb1   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

If you want to be a fancy pants, you can Chiffonade the basil for garnishing on top of the pasta. “Chiffon” is French for “rag” which is what the basil will look like when you’re finished.

IMG 1435 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

How to Chiffonade basil:

1. Grab a few basil leaves (you can use spinach or any leafy vegetable for future reference)

IMG 1437 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

2. Stack them on top of one another like so.

IMG 1440 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

3. Now roll it up all the way.

IMG 1445 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

4. Grab a sharp knife and slice tiny 1mm cuts through the rolled up basil.

IMG 1451 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

Do not slice finger off as it looks like I’m about to do in the above photo. That would not be good.

Repeat until you’ve sliced through all of it. The basil, not your finger.

IMG 1452 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

5. With your (in tact) fingers, gently separate the basil into its ‘rag-like’ pieces and sprinkle over top of your dish.

IMG 1455 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

And if you handle them as long as I did to get these photos, they will really look like rags!

You are now a fancy pants.

IMG 1456 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

It is your mission to go on and enjoy those deliciously sweet tomatoes that are waiting for you.

Just don’t forget to freeze some for the Winter!

Phyllis Fisher November 14, 2012

Thank you so much. My husband & I are relatively new vegans (less than 2 years-doctor recommended-improved our health as seniors significantly) and still trying new recipes. I served this on thin spaghetti with a side of roasted pineapple and kiwis which were on sale this week. Added an appetizer of fresh sweet peppers with hummus for extra protein. Am enjoying one of your cookies as I write. Your page is bookmarked for regular checks–also sending it to my vegan-struggling kids.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2012

Thank you Phyllis! Congrats on goign vegan. Im so thrilled to hear you are enjoying the recipes. All the best to you.

Caroline December 12, 2012

I made this for a dinner party last night, and everyone loved it! Thanks for the recipe!

Allison December 20, 2012

Angela! This looks delicious, as always! But how much How pasta would you guess for for each cup of pesto?

HautePinkPretty January 8, 2013

This was delicious!!!!! I made it today for my husband and I during lunch and it was a huge hit! He agreed that it’s better than the creamy avocado pasta (which was shocking to hear since that’s been a long time fave of ours, too)! We’re not vegan, but he’s lactose intolerant so we always enjoy using your recipes :) I just added in some grilled chicken since he can’t deal without any meat but honestly, the pasta was so good on it’s own ;) Thank you for another staple meal! Xx

Sara January 14, 2013

This is my absolute favorite recipe on your site! I love making this and especially eating it! I had never roasted tomatoes until this recipe and let me tell you, I love them. Soo tasty! This also makes the perfect next day lunch. Thanks for your always awesome recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2013

Im so glad to hear that Sara!

Michelle January 21, 2013

I just went vegan a week ago and made this tonight. Since it’s not tomato season here in Reno, I used the canned fire roasted tomatoes, very well drained.

OMGosh! Sooooooooo delicious.

My vegan friend is coming over for dinner and she will LOVE it too.

Robin February 1, 2013

I made this tonight and it was one of the most delicious pesto’s thank you! I used gluten free spiral noodles, and I used walnuts because that is what I had and I added garbanzo beans. It was fantastic, one of my husband’s favorite pesto’s.

Eliana February 10, 2013

I made this recipe last night for some friends and it was a hit! Absolutely delicious :)

I totally recommend it

Julie February 10, 2013

Just made this pesto with some grape tomatoes I had on hand along with your eggplant parmesan. I threw in some fresh herbs for the eggplant coating as you suggested. I roasted some spaghetti squash and now am totally blissing out over lunch. Wow, this is good!

LaReine February 12, 2013

I made this last night along with the roasted tomato soup AMAZING!!!
I pretty much make a few of your recipes every single night and they are all mind blowing… I’ve been vegan for a month now and you’ve made it so easy I can’t imagine eating any other way now… Just want to say THANK YOU :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 13, 2013

Thank you for leaving such a lovely comment! I appreciate it

Shelley March 28, 2013

First of all..THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your amazing recipes…you have truly become a lifesaver in our household. I am vegan, my husband is mostly vegan, and my two daughters are not, but trying to eat healthier. I have recently discovered that I am also intolerant to wheat/gluten and soy…that felt so overwhelming to me until I found your website and your recipes. Last night I whipped up a bunch of them that have inspired the whole family…words are not good enough here to tell you how much I appreciate the simplicity and beauty in all of the dishes we’ve tried so far. We are all looking forward to trying more and more and more!

Made this for dinner tonight and it was to die for!!! Next time we make it I will saute some mushrooms and onion to toss in too…and more tomatoes I think…they were so good you wanted one in every bite :)…

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 29, 2013

Thank you Shelley, I’m so glad to hear this!

Heather April 7, 2013

Cannot wait to try this. I sent my husband a text with all the ingredients to pick up from work along with a picture to get him on board. He agreed it looked fantastic and bought the stuff. :D SO happy I found your page! I keep looking for vegan and vegetarian recipes and they all have tofu or loads of soy, which I cannot have. So I LOVE that you have everything divided by allergies. Thank you for making recipes easy for someone like me. :)

Megan Kates May 7, 2013

Angela…we made this last night..UNREAL! This will be a regular in our rotation. Thanks for being such an inspiration for the vegan lifestyle! Yummy!

Fofita May 29, 2013

Hello! I’ve been reading your blog for some time, and I finally tried one of your recipes… Well, this pesto is just awesome! Even my husband who thinks there should be meat at each meal loved it! :) Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

So happy to hear that Fofita! :)

Ashley June 3, 2013

I just made this for dinner and the recipe came out perfectly! The pesto is amazing. Thank you for the post. :-)

Priya August 8, 2013

Hi Angela,

I made this sauce a few weeks ago and it has become my family’s most favorite one. So delicious. Thank you so much for this mouth watering recipe. I have a question though, can we store it the fridge (not freeze it) and use it over 3-5 days? If so, do we heat it or just bring it to room temperature before pouring it on pasta? Also if we freeze does it need to be heated up or is it enough to bring it to room temp?

Thank you once again.

Priya.

Shannon August 18, 2013

My goodness! Just made this for my family and it was a huge hit. Best yet, I forgot to add the oil and everyone still thought it was amazing. My 9 month old also thought it was amazing. This is seriously one of my favorites and will use time and time again. This will now be my go to dish. Thank you!!!!

Kara September 2, 2013

Just made this with two kinds of cherry tomatoes and one plum tomato from our garden. I also had walnuts on hand rather than almonds. Ridiculously good!!! Thank you!! :)

ula September 10, 2013

I have just made it. It’s sooo good! I ended up using only 5 tomatoes and used cashews instead of almonds since that’s what I had in my pantry. Thanks for the recipe, it’s really good!

David October 9, 2013

Made this tonight and it was delicious. Thanks!

Graciela October 17, 2013

I tried this last night and it was AMAZING! Thank you for such a wonderful recipe! We had it on top of Ronzoni Garden Delight Spagetti!

Katie October 22, 2013

I came for your roasted tomato soup (with coconut milk) and stayed for this pesto. Took your advice and roasted extra tomatoes when I made the soup. I finally thawed them and made the pesto today. Omg what took me so long? That was so so good. We were licking the bowl. I know you have a ton of comments and this is an “old” recipe, but I felt compelled to tell you how delicious it was. Thanks for sharing! Love your work!

Hannah December 2, 2013

Do you peel and core the tomatoes before you put them in the processor?

Regina December 30, 2013

I can’t eat almonds and was debating on trying walnuts or cashews instead. What exactly do the almonds add? texture and flavor?? What do you think?

Madelynne January 20, 2014

I write this as I devour a bowl :D
It’s delicious. Perfect balance of sweet and acidity from the roasted tomatoes.
I will absolutely be making it again!!!

edie January 21, 2014

This is fantastic! I made the pesto this morning, and now can’t wait for dinner!

Nerida March 14, 2014

DELICIOUS!!!! Amazing this will be a staple in our house from now on x

Sarah R March 19, 2014

Wow! This WAS the BEST pesto I have ever tasted! I just wanted to eat the pesto and not add the pasta! I will definitely make this again…and I never knew roasted tomatoes were so heavenly…

Ann March 31, 2014

This recipe is to die for. I didn’t have quite as many tomatoes but it still turned out delicious! The smell of roasting tomatoes and toasted almonds is inspiring. Thanks!

meaghan May 6, 2014

this is one of my FAVORITE dishes. i made it abolut a year ago when Michelle Zink posted it on her blog…fabulous! i’ve tweaked it a bit so there’s the perfect amount of nutritional yeast, for me…i’m not vegan, or even vegetarian, but this dish is de-LISH regardless.

now that it’s EXCEPTIONALLY hot, i like to eat it room temp or even cold…makes a really good, flavourful chilled summer pasta…

Cami June 24, 2014

This was incredibly delicious! Thanks for a great recipe. :)

Hannah July 5, 2014

I made this for my (non-vegan) family tonight, and it was a huge hit! Thank you so much for all of the fantastic recipes that have helped me show the meat enthusiasts in my house that vegan cooking is delicious!

Gabrielle August 3, 2014

My new favourite pesto recipe! We gobble it all up every time. Thanks!

Sarah August 30, 2014

Hi Angela!

Absolutely LOVE your recipes! I have a ridiculous amount of grape tomatoes on hand….think I could still use them for this recipe? Any idea roughly how many I should roast and what the roasting temperature and duration should be since they’re so tiny?

Thanks!
Sarah

laura September 4, 2014

made this tonight, delicious!!!

Lisa September 5, 2014

Oh my goodness I have never appreciated the full joy of roasted tomatoes right out of the oven! This is a great dish, and was a winner with the whole family which is rare! I actually made the pesto without the almonds due to my son’s nut allergy so I was worried, but it turned out so yummy and flavorful anyway. I am making it for the second time tonight, with extra tomatoes on the pan in the oven so I can stuff my face with them!

Steph F September 8, 2014

What would be a good seed alternative to the almonds? I’m allergic to nuts. Thanks!

Wendy September 9, 2014

I made this tonight! Delicious! I am definitely going to make again! Thanks

Connie October 8, 2014

what does the yeast help in the recipe

Joyce October 9, 2014

I made this two night ago for dinner and STILL cannot get over how AWSOME it was. I’ve never eaten pesto in my life but it is now a staple. Thank you!

Page 6 of 6« First...«23456