Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 6, 2011

IMG_1422-2

We haven’t been this excited about a dinner recipe in a long time.

IMG_1463

Probably not since the 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta, which Eric said – in between shoveling this pasta in his mouth – is “not as good as this roasted tomato pesto recipe”.

I didn’t believe it, but after tasting and then devouring my own bowl of pesto (ok, there was some pasta in there too), I may have to agree with him. This is by far, the best pesto I’ve made or perhaps ever tasted.

IMG_1424

Don’t be put off by the colour, I promise it tastes much better than it looks. ;)

We enjoyed it so much, I made two batches over the long weekend and froze some for a later date. In January, there will be no tears over tasteless tomatoes as long as I have this pesto waiting for us!

IMG_1466

If I can wait that long to eat it, that is.

Outlook not good.

IMG_1465

IMG_1415

I decided to roast the tomatoes first to give the pesto a really deep flavour. So glad I did!!

First, I drizzled them with olive oil and sprinkled them with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

IMG_1419

Into the pre-heated oven they went at 400F for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. The longer they roast, the more delicious they become. The bottoms will be blackened slightly, but not to worry as it only enhances the flavour.

IMG_1422

After cooling slightly, I ate one straight off the pan. And I almost burned my mouth off, but it was so worth it. I’m surprised that the rest of them made it into the processor!

IMG_1431

While the processor blade is spinning, add two garlic cloves. Let it whirl around until the garlic is chopped. Next, add 1 cup of tightly packed basil and process. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spoon. With the processor on, add in 1/4 cup oil, 1.5 cups of roasted tomatoes, nutritional yeast (optional), and salt and pepper to taste. Pulse in the toasted almonds.

I’m loving this olive oil right now:

IMG_1121

IMG_1423

This pesto is so delicious it’s unreal.

This was my first batch and I used 1 cup of roasted tomatoes, but I suggest using 1.5 cups of roasted tomatoes as I did in my second batch. You get more bang for your buck!

IMG_1424

If you want to be a fancy pants, you can Chiffonade the basil for garnishing on top of the pasta. “Chiffon” is French for “rag” which is what the basil will look like when you’re finished.

IMG_1435

How to Chiffonade basil:

1. Grab a few basil leaves (you can use spinach or any leafy vegetable for future reference)

IMG_1437

2. Stack them on top of one another like so.

IMG_1440

3. Now roll it up all the way.

IMG_1445

4. Grab a sharp knife and slice tiny 1mm cuts through the rolled up basil.

IMG_1451

Do not slice finger off as it looks like I’m about to do in the above photo. That would not be good.

Repeat until you’ve sliced through all of it. The basil, not your finger.

IMG_1452

5. With your (in tact) fingers, gently separate the basil into its ‘rag-like’ pieces and sprinkle over top of your dish.

IMG_1455

And if you handle them as long as I did to get these photos, they will really look like rags!

You are now a fancy pants.

IMG_1456

It is your mission to go on and enjoy those deliciously sweet tomatoes that are waiting for you.

Just don’t forget to freeze some for the Winter!

Natalie September 6, 2011 at 8:52 am

Looks delicious!

Natalie September 6, 2011 at 8:52 am

YAY I was the first commenter!

dhauberger July 1, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I am always searching the web for ideas when I cook. This is, hands down, the tastiest recipe I have found thus far. I consider myself quite the foodie and have never commented on a recipe I have found, used and loved. Kudos to you ma’am job well cooked ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Thank you for your comment, Im so happy you love it!

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 6, 2011 at 8:57 am

What a beautiful bowl of food — I love the taste of roasted tomatoes!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 6, 2011 at 8:58 am

I’m a HUGE pesto lover, so this looks promising– to say the least

Beach Bum Beauty September 6, 2011 at 9:00 am

Oh Angela, you’ve done it again. Made me feel hungry when I’ve only just eaten. I wish I could put my hand through the computer and grab a bowl of this DELISH!

Noelle September 6, 2011 at 9:01 am

Looks like a great fall dish!

jennie in wonderland September 6, 2011 at 9:01 am

Oh good golly, that looks riiiiiidiculously good. Must make tonight.

I wonder if the pasta would be good with some sliced buttery avocado on top? What do you think, Angela? I’m not sure how the two tastes would mesh.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 9:16 am

I can’t see why not!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} September 6, 2011 at 9:01 am

Oh, I hope I get more tomatoes in my CSA box this week. This pesto looks fabulous!

Halley (Blunder Construction) September 6, 2011 at 9:03 am

Mmm, sounds like another killer recipe! Good idea to make ahead with fresh tomatoes while they are still tasty!

Chloe (In Fine Feather) September 6, 2011 at 9:05 am

Oh yum! I definitely want to make this – do you think I could do it in a blender?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 9:16 am

Hmm good question. I’m not sure…I guess it depends on your blender! I would like to think it would work.

Ally September 6, 2011 at 9:08 am

Yum! Do you leave the skins on the tomatoes or do you remove them?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:30 am

leave them on :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) September 6, 2011 at 9:09 am

i have so many tomatoes that i need to use still.. i’ve made sauce and did pesto yesterday without tomatoes, so this version looks delicious!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 6, 2011 at 9:09 am

Looks so good! I love the melt-y roasted tomatoes. :)

Have you ever made beet pesto? I made a beet-sunflower seed the other day is at was pretty tasty. :)

amy @lovetotrain September 6, 2011 at 9:10 am

YUM this looks delicious! I make a similar sauce but with raw tomatos- definitely gonna give it a go with roasting them!

Jessica September 6, 2011 at 9:12 am

I just found my dinner recipe for tonight! That looks so yummy! “You are now a fancy pants.” haha! Love it.

Kate September 6, 2011 at 9:13 am

I lovee roasted tomatoes I need to make this pesto asap!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious September 6, 2011 at 9:14 am

Oh Ang — this looks amazing! I have been eating bushels of tomatoes since they started coming into season and I will definitely be making this — I’m thinking tonight maybe?! I love freezing fresh tomatoes, fresh corn and fresh berries to use over the winter months!

Melissa September 6, 2011 at 9:16 am

*Drool* Must make tonight!

Christina @ The Athletarian September 6, 2011 at 9:17 am

Wow, Angela! This looks so amazing. My family just made boatloads of pesto to freeze for the season but the tomatoes take it to a completely different level! I am definitely going to have to try this one! Your photos look so warm and comforting. What a perfect meal for the weather we are having :)

thehealthyapron September 6, 2011 at 9:19 am

we just got a BOAT LOAD Of tomatoes from my grandpa yesterday! Now all I need to get is seom fresh basil and I’ WILL be making this! Thanks for ther ecipe! LOVE IT!

Silverfaerie September 6, 2011 at 9:20 am

This sounds delicious! I absolutely <3 pesto and have always wanted to make my own. Can't wait to try it. Mind if I link up to a your post on my blog?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:30 am

Nope go ahead. Enjoy!

Magda September 6, 2011 at 9:21 am

Looks fantastic :) A pesto fanatic here :) Although recently I’ve been crazy about using roasted veggies hummus as my pasta sauce/cream :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:09 am

mmm that sounds right up my alley!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 6, 2011 at 9:22 am

Oh my, this is gorgeous!! Sadly my basil plant has come to the end of its life… I haven’t watered it more or less or anything, but it just seems to have called it quits! So as soon as I get to the grocery store to buy some new basil, this will be coming out of my kitchen! :)

Lizzie September 6, 2011 at 9:23 am

How weird – I had taken a photo of a roasted tomato sauce recipe at the gym the other day (it was in a mag I was reading) and ended up with a bunch of tomatoes to make it. But now I am thinking of making this instead!

Rather obvious question – can you use something other than Roma tomatoes? I have a mix in my fridge at the moment.

Angela, you would seriously cry with happiness if you saw one of the stands at our local farmers market. They seriously have about 16 different varieties of tomatoes (last night we had Thai Pink Egg toms in our salad) and it’s like some kind of tomato festival!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:10 am

Wow that sounds beautiful! I’d be all over that.
I’d imagine you can use most types of sweet tomatoes :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 6, 2011 at 9:24 am

Oh wow, it looks delicious! I love the first image of the roasted tomato. Man, you’re so talented with that darn camera! Do you still shoot with your 50mm? Or have you moved on?
Also, have to tell you – last night I was taking a picture of my salad and the lighting was bad so I tried the ‘quick run over to the side with the reflector sheet trick’… and dropped the sheet IN my salad :( humpf.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:11 am

haha that’s happened to me before. I actually have a couple stains on my reflector sheet. Gross eh?

Yup still using the 50mm, although last night I had a dream that I bought a $2000 lens! lol

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 6, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I’m so happy it’s not just me! Not gross at all. Give it a couple of months and I’m sure mine will be in the same condition.
I just started shooting with a 17-85mm along with my 50mm. Although it’s nice to get some range, I keep going back to my 50mm. It’s just such a darn good lens!
Could you imagine getting a $2k lens? I wouldn’t know what to do with it?! First up – get some stains on that baby! jk jk

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes September 6, 2011 at 9:25 am

Oh this looks incredible! I am in love with pesto. Can’t wait to try this!!

Shanna, Like Banana September 6, 2011 at 9:28 am

Oh my…so yum. That first photo had me majorly drooling. I recently made my foray into pesto 2 years ago and I’m obsessed. I like to add all sorts of things like sun dried tomatoes, walnuts, spicy peppers, etc.

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop September 6, 2011 at 9:28 am

Another amazing recipe! Thanks for the great idea :)
Awesome pictures too, by the way.

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots September 6, 2011 at 9:40 am

Mmm…it looks so hearty and delicious! :-) And I’m assuming that those beautiful vegetables are from your garden?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:12 am

The romas are from the market, sadly I didnt grow any romas this year!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy September 6, 2011 at 9:42 am

I am drooling just looking at the pictures of this pasta! I love roasted tomatoes with basil! Perfect recipe!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 6, 2011 at 9:43 am

OMG! I wish I would’ve had this recipe on Sunday when I needed to use up those roma tomatoes on my counter (I ended up making fresh pico de gallo instead)! I’ll be heading to the store tonight for more tomatoes to make this! Yum!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 6, 2011 at 9:43 am

What a great looking dish! I am always looking for healthy pasta recipes and this is definitely going to make its way into the rotation.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 6, 2011 at 9:45 am

Those roasted tomatoes are so beautiful, I almost hate to see them go into the food processor! :-)

Girl in the pink September 6, 2011 at 9:46 am

Yum, I’ve heard of sundried tomato pesto but not roasted tomato!!

Emily September 6, 2011 at 9:47 am

How did you freeze this? How long does it keep? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:13 am

I just put it in a glass (freezer safe) small container and then covered the pesto with a bit of plastic wrap to keep away freezer burn. Then put the lid on and popped it into the freezer. Im sure there’s a better way to freeze it, but that’s how I do it. I’m not positive how long it keeps in the freezer, but I’m sure it’s easy to find out!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com September 6, 2011 at 9:48 am

Love roasted tomatoes! Great idea turning them into pesto! yum!

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 6, 2011 at 9:48 am

Yum! I love pesto…this recipe looks amazing. I’m bookmarking it right now!

Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather September 6, 2011 at 9:49 am

That looks amazing! I always try to have Extra pesto in the freeze… Now I want this one in there. I’m excited about this meal too!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath September 6, 2011 at 9:50 am

This looks delicious!! Can’t wait to try it!

Heather September 6, 2011 at 9:54 am

This looks amazing!! My mom grew an absurd amount of tomatoes this season and now we have about 50 jars of sauce ready for tomato soup, pizza sauce, and much more. Any good ‘mater soup recipes, it’s one of the main things I crave during our PA winters! Thanks!

Mama Pea September 6, 2011 at 10:02 am

This looks amazing! True story: I had a professional chef helping me prep a cooking demo a few weeks ago and I asked him to “jullienne” the mint. He gave me kind of a haughty look and said, “I think you mean chiffonade.” I felt like a complete moron. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:15 am

LOL! That just made my day. I say things like that all the time. Don’t you wish you had a mental Google reference? lol.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe September 6, 2011 at 10:03 am

That sounds amazing! Definitely trying this one.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 6, 2011 at 10:16 am

Ooh, so it’s like a Romesco sauce…yummy!!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 6, 2011 at 10:21 am

oh my goodness, that looks absolutely amazing!!! I love tomatoes!

Melanie September 6, 2011 at 10:21 am

We love your 15 min Creamy Avocado Pasta so cannot wait to try this!! I love roasted tomatoes so I’m sure it will be a huge hit!! Are the almonds necessary to make the sauce? (We have quite a few family members who have nut allergies?) Would it change the flavor to leave them out?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:56 am

I think it would work without the almonds. The crunchy texture & nuttiness would be missing but I do think it would still taste nice with proper seasoning.

Katherine September 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm

We have the same almond issue in our house, I’m wondering if some sort of seed (sunflower? pumpkin?) would add the crunch the almonds provide. I’m going to experiment this evening…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm

great idea!

Katherine September 7, 2011 at 6:48 am

So I made it! After sampling the various seeds in my pantry I decided that none of them had the right flavour so I just left all crunchy stuff out. It was sooooo good! I’d never have known there was an ingredient missing since I haven’t tried it any other way.

Melanie September 7, 2011 at 11:31 am

Thanks to both of you for letting me know. I will so be trying this recipe out tonight. Just got a 25 lb box of tomatoes from the fruit truck (grown organically) and can’t wait to get into it and start making things!! :)

Melanie September 7, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Oh.My.Goodness!! This has to be your best recipe yet!!! I couldn’t stop eating it. Amazing!! This will be part of our rotation for a very, very long time. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe, Angela!!

You said that you froze some–how on earth did you ever have any left. We ate the whole amount in one sitting! Totally delicious!!

halima September 6, 2011 at 10:26 am

looks yummy, do you think it would be as good if i didn’t use almonds (or any nuts) in it?? my daughter is allergic.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:56 am

See comment above :)

Sara September 6, 2011 at 10:26 am

That looks amazing. I am having the hardest time finding good RED tomatoes in the markets here. I feel like something might be going on with the crops I haven’t heard about yet. I’ll try the farmers market this weekend because I have really been craving fresh tomatoes and now I must roast some!

MelanieF September 6, 2011 at 10:36 am

That looks amazing! ! ! I will have to make some this weekeng to freeze so that we will have some for the winter months as well. What a terrific idea!

Bev Weidner September 6, 2011 at 10:47 am

This brings me to tears. Happy, sexy, giddy tears.

Cait's Plate September 6, 2011 at 10:49 am

Oh my gosh that first photo of the roasted tomato is INCREDIBLE. I’m not a big tomato soup fan but I think with the addition of the basil pesto I could happily gobble this up with a nice thick slice of whole grain bread :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:57 am

Thanks!

Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde September 6, 2011 at 10:51 am

I’ve been looking for a tomato pesto for ages and i totally do that cutting technique with my herbs, just didn’t know there was a fancy name for it :)

Rhona September 6, 2011 at 10:56 am

You had me at Roasted & Tomatoes. Ok, I officially cannot wait to cook this up. Hm, I’m thinking dinner tomorrow night. Especially fitting for this cold crap weather we are already getting in the GTA (booh!).

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:57 am

I know isn’t it the pits??

Lauren at Keep It Sweet September 6, 2011 at 10:59 am

This looks amazing, no wonder you are excited about it! Can you please come over and start cooking my meals?

Mai September 6, 2011 at 11:10 am

Mmm. . think I’m going to have to make this over the weekend weekend!

Lindsey September 6, 2011 at 11:10 am

Yum! So I’m following Esselstyn/Engine 2 diet (no oil). Do you think I could skip the olive oil? Like in the green Pesto you made recently? Maybe in place a splash of soy milk for the liquid and a touch of fat?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 12:12 pm

you could always try and see what it tastes like!

Renata October 20, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Did you try it? Was it tasty?

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) September 6, 2011 at 11:16 am

Oh my gosh, this looks incredible!!

Caryn September 6, 2011 at 11:23 am

I might need to finally get a food processor so I can try this. Beautiful pictures.

Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 6, 2011 at 11:23 am

I love pesto so much! This looks sooo good :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 6, 2011 at 11:25 am

Yum!! I am definetly trying this! I love a good pesto on pretty much anything ;)

Christine (The Raw Project) September 6, 2011 at 11:28 am

Wow, this looks so yummy. Can’t wait to try it – thanks!

Rachel September 6, 2011 at 11:45 am

Ha…haha….the food buzz advertisement on your page right now is for Eggland’s Best Eggs…..How ironic.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I’ve contacted Foodbuzz to see if they can remove any animal-based ads from my website.

Rachel September 6, 2011 at 12:20 pm

AMAZING! I hope they do.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Feel free to let me know if you see more of them. I dont see those ads here.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Update! :)

Foodbuzz got back to me and said the ad must have slipped through. I’ve requested a couple times not to have any animal product related ads on my site, but they said when a new campaign launches, sometimes it slips through the cracks. Please let me know if you see any more and I’ll shoot them an email. I tend not to see the ads in Canada so Im unaware of it.

Rachel September 6, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Will do :-)

K September 6, 2011 at 11:49 am

Love tomatoes and traditional basil pesto! This recipe looks like the perfect combo of both-thanks!
I hate sad looking “winter tomatoes”. Must freeze some of the good ones now!

Kristen Waby September 6, 2011 at 11:55 am

Thank you for the inspiration for Thursday’s lunch!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 6, 2011 at 11:56 am

Ohh, this looks delicious! I made a sun dried tomato pesto last week that was so summery and good with pasta & veggies. I must try this! Plus, I’m always searching for ways to use nutritional yeast besides in salad dressing. I like that it’s in this!

[email protected] KatieDid September 6, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I never knew what Chiffonade meant, and now I am confident I could do it myself with your tutorial! Thanks! This pasta looks so incredible, and considering I’m on a huge pesto kick right now (read: eating it straight from the container at nearly every meal) this looks right up my alley.

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) September 6, 2011 at 12:29 pm

This looks amazingly good! Can’t wait to try it. I bet my hubbie will love it too :)
I’m not used to seeing Canadian products – with the English AND French on the labels, it’s kinda like here in Belgium; Dutch and French.

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) September 6, 2011 at 12:30 pm

By the by, I want to recommend this recipe on my own blog and I would like to ask your permission to show a picture with it. Is that okay?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Sure np! Just be sure to link to the original post.

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) September 6, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Of course ;)
Thanks!

Lisa September 6, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Well I roasted the tomatoes for this but then proceeded to eat all the roasted tomatoes. I will try again

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove September 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm

We have a TON of tomatoes and basil in the garden (thanks to our landlord!) so we are definitely going to take advantage of this recipe. What a nice way to make pesto sauce more interesting!

Mandy @ The Fat Girl's Guide to Life September 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I’ve been thinking about trying a pesto recipe. This is the one.

Amber K September 6, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Looks amazing! I have had to convince my brain to ignore colors completely when it comes to food. Too many times I make things that look like sludge (chocolate green monster anyone?) that taste sooo good!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I agree sometimes recipes look deceiving!

jess @ littlegirlbigappetite.com September 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Oh my this looks soooOoo good! and an awesome idea. I’m going to have to make this so I’ll have some come the middle of the winter and craving something summery and not have to settle for less than spectacular tomatoes in the winter. Thank you :)

[email protected] September 6, 2011 at 1:20 pm

YAYYYYYYYYY THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Perfect timing, haha! I was just wondering last night what I should do with my remaining large bunch of basil! Isn’t it weird when that happens? You usually just need a little herb for a certain dish, and you’re left with a bunch :P

[email protected] September 6, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I just broke out my brand new food processor yesterday, now I absolutely HAVE to make this!

Andrea September 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm

This looks amazing! Mental note to make this :)

I have read elsewhere that when toasting nuts you should toast them at 170 degrees Farenheit or lower so you do not harm the healthy fats that they contain. I was wondering what your take on this is?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Oh I hadn’t heard that! Thanks for passing it along…I’ll have to look into it, Makes sense to toast at a low temp.

Katrina September 6, 2011 at 1:56 pm

This sounds terrific! Great recipe :)

Lena September 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I love regular basil pesto, I love red pesto; this has to be amazing. I’ll try this one soon! Thanks for the recipe, I think I’m going to be very, very thankful in winter…

Kathy September 6, 2011 at 2:10 pm

My dad and grandma decided to plant tomato plants (we didn’t use fertilizer or spray them, but I would not say that they are organic in anyway because the soil…I’m not sure about the soil ^^) and I’m glad they did because now I get fresh tomatoes! I’m soo trying this before all the tomatoes are gone!

Nicole @ giraffelegs September 6, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Lately I have been more than obsessed with pesto. I am so glad to have a different variation available.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I definitely have to give this one a try! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 6, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I LOVE roasted tomatoes!! My dad’s garden when I was growing up would overflow with tomatoes for about 2-3 weeks a year. We ate tomatoes at every meal and in every possible way. Including roasted and broiled. Just seeing your roasted tomatoes gives me great memories!

And the pesto looks stunning!

Plus for you to give it a Best Ever title…THAT’S high praise and duly noted! :)

Fran {The Flavorful Fork} September 6, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I love pesto! It is one of the most versatile condiments and can be used in so many different ways: mixed into mashed potatoes, as a spread for sandwiches, added to pizza, spread on fish or meat then coated with breadcrumbs and sauteed. The ideas are endless! This version with roasted tomatoes sounds wonderful and a great way to use those fresh garden tomatoes before they are all gone.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm

oh yea pesto is great on pizza!!! I need to try that :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 6, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Oh wow this looks amazing! It would taste awesome on sandwiches too. And on pizza. And by the spoonful. ;)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 6, 2011 at 3:37 pm

This looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it for my blog – I’ll give full credit, of course. And mouth-watering photos too, wow!

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life September 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm

This looks like a great and easy to make recipe! I’ll definetly be trying out this recipe soon, maybe over the weekend! I’m trying to find a great Sunday football recipe to make for the hubs! I think he would love this as would I!!!

Sweet and Savvy September 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm

This recipe is absolutely delicious looking! :) I have actually never tried pesto. I may have to change that with this dish!

Kristy H September 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm

OMG! love pesto, I want this for breakfast!

Nd September 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Just stumbled across your website and really glad I did. This is the best website for vegan recipes that I have seen thus far. Thank you.
Question though, in this recipe, it calls for Roma tomatoes, but the tomatoes in the pictures look more like grape tomato size. And since the recipe only makes 1 cup of pesto, I was confused. Can you clarify?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Yup they are large roma tomatoes…pics are deceiving at times!

Maria September 6, 2011 at 4:17 pm

We have a lot of basil in our garden! I know what I am making. Thank you!

Melissa September 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Angela- Perfect timing! I had a gigantic basket of tomatoes staring at me this afternoon which I had no idea what to do with. Just made the pesto and downed it for dinner….DELICIOUS!

Moni'sMeals September 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I think I could eat this EVERYDAY! I love roasted tomatoes and basil.

I love your lil demo on the basil. :) I learned that only a few years ago…I also love to just tear it up for a rustic feel. :)

worldbysmith September 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm

just ridiculous…i mad.i ate.i was satisfied. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

worldbysmith September 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm

oops correct . I MADE…not mad :( pesto hangover…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:25 pm

hehe

Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 6, 2011 at 5:18 pm

oh my – how very wonderful!!!!!

Angela September 6, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Love this post. It’s like you read my mind! I had been wondering if there was a way of making a tomato pesto that wasn’t too high in fat as pesto & pasta is a treat meal in my house. Can’t wait to try this!

Laura September 6, 2011 at 5:33 pm

This looks like a creation one of my foreign italien relatives would make if I wen to visit :)
My next sandwich should include pesto

Ashley September 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Just loving the simple photos. Beautiful! Great basil cutting tutorial as well. I go in such waves of creating dinners, or breakfasts, desserts, etc. It’s really funny. Some weeks we eat all quick meals, like tortilla pizzas and some weeks it’s more planned out like this. Either way…yum to this meal!

sara September 6, 2011 at 6:13 pm

This pasta is oh-so-pretty…what gorgeous photos! Definitely want to make this…yum!! :)

Alyne September 6, 2011 at 6:56 pm

does everyone have their own GIANT basil plants?! mine is small and if i ravaged the whole thing wouldn’t have a cup of basil!

im DYING for pesto, but where do people get frash basil that doesn’t cost a thousand dollars? it’s SO EXPENSIVEEE at the grocery store. what should i expect to pay???

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm

family and neighbours give me their basil! Im hooked up…but yea I agree that it’s expensive at the store.

Brittany @ Runwithbritt September 6, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Wow, you always have a way with creating a twist on classic favorites! I cannot wait to try this on the weekend! I think it may win my guy friends over :)

Shady September 6, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I bought a basket of field tomatoes today and carried them home from the grocery store thinking, literally, I wish I could find a way to save these for January when the tomatoes come from thousands of miles away and are completely flavorless. And lo and behold! This recipe was in my google reader when I got home. I just ate it served over a tofu scramble for dinner and it was delicious. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Alexis (hummusapien) September 6, 2011 at 7:27 pm

This looks beautiful! Can’t wait to make it!

jennie in wonderland September 6, 2011 at 7:32 pm

made it tonight! it was DELICIOUS. i ate it straight out of the food processor for a while (lol) and then over hot kamut spaghetti. ’twas baller.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:31 pm

heh sounds like me :)

kaila @ healthy helper! September 6, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I have been obsessed with pesto lately!! Especially yours!!! This recipe looks incredible!

Katie September 6, 2011 at 8:15 pm

O.M.G. this looks fantastic and soo yummy!

Deb L. September 6, 2011 at 8:55 pm

That looks amazing ~ can’t wait to make it!! My stomach is already growling…

Trisha September 6, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Have you ever canned your pesto and if you have how would you go about doing it??? Have lots of tomatoes and looking for things to do with them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I haven’t canned before…but I’m sure there are tutorials online to help you! Good luck :)

Sam September 6, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Oh my god this looks so good. I am making a roasted tomato and garlic soup tomorrow. I WISH I had enough tomatoes to make this too!! They are grown in my parents garden…I wonder if I could yank a few more for this deliciousness!

Kiah September 6, 2011 at 9:36 pm

That looks absolutely de-vine.

B'klynHeart September 6, 2011 at 9:38 pm

That looks gorgeous and heavenly! Thank the interweb stars that lead me to VOO and to your blog… can’t wait to try this!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:34 pm

lol that made me chuckle ;) Hope you enjoy it!

Angela @ Momethis September 6, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I just read your blog, just read your story, just read this recipe, and now I’m hooked. Adding you to my favorites.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 10:33 pm

aww thank you!

[email protected] September 6, 2011 at 10:04 pm

looks even better than my new favorite Thai Bangkok Pesto from the farmer’s market!

lucy September 7, 2011 at 5:13 am

Hello lunch! Can’t wait to try this out- thank you, Angela!

sharon September 7, 2011 at 5:40 am

this will definitely be made this sunday! sunday night=pasta at our house

jess white September 7, 2011 at 7:20 am

this looks delicious! roasted tomatoes are so delicious. thank you thank you thank you for something that is so simple yet looks so refined.

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites September 7, 2011 at 8:56 am

Angela… your vegan pasta sauces NEVER fail to impress me.. or my dairy meat loving boyfriend! We just adorded your avocado ‘cream’ sauce and if this is BETTER than that and tastes as divine as it looks… well we are in for a treat! Cannot wait! Would this make for a good cold pasta dish you think. I have been obsessed with pasta salad lately… cold food in general :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Thank you Sarah, I hope you enjoy this one too!

You wouldn’t know it, but I was never a pasta fan until I started making my own sauces…maybe one day I can make my own pasta too. ;)

LizAshlee September 7, 2011 at 9:15 am

Captivating photos and the pesto just looks beyond words delicious!!

I love tomato basil!!!

AGS September 7, 2011 at 9:53 am

I haven’t made roasted tomatoes in ages — I love roasting them with slivered garlic. They are great as a side dish (hot or cold), and of course in sauces!! You inspired me yesterday, but I had no tomatoes, so instead I made pasta with roasted eggplant and mushroom-garlic tepenade.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Roasting the garlic is a great idea!!! I’ll have to try this next time I make it. :)

Jessica September 7, 2011 at 10:06 am

Hi!
I just started following you. I found you through a blog that a friend was reading through a blog post on that persons blog about your green monster.
My three year old is so hard to feed breakfast but he loves smoothies and we have done it with veggies before and he still drinks it. The green monster sounded really good, so we got what we didn’t have at whole foods yesterday, and we just made it this morning. I couldn’t put mine down. It tastes more like a milkshake, and the kiddo loves it too! It’s so creamy. I have to admit I expected it to taste a little more leafy….amazing! I’m 34 weeks pregnant too, so this is a great healthy breakfast for me too!
I will eventually do a post on this on my blog, (and I will link to yours giving you all the credit, if you don’t mind) I don’t want to keep this secret that I’ve found!
Thank you Thank you!
Can’t wait to try the tomato basil pesto next week!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011 at 11:22 am

Jessica, that’s wonderful to hear! Congrats on your pregnancy too. :)

Cindy September 7, 2011 at 10:33 am

Yum, yum, yum, I want a bowl for lunch.

Annie @ On a Back Burner September 7, 2011 at 11:02 am

Hi, I’ve been reading your blog since stumbling upon the chocolate avocado torte while looking up cake recipes for my roommate’s birthday. WOW does this look good!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011 at 11:22 am

Thanks Annie :) I hope you enjoy it if you end up making it…it’s one of our favs.

Sandi September 7, 2011 at 11:39 am

Absolute success. This was my husband’s very first all vegan dinner, and he loved it. I had some sliced flank steak from a previous dinner at the ready in case he started shaking, but he turned it down! Perhaps my telling him about your husband’s story (and weight loss) helped in not having meat all the time. I think many times our diets as adults are just what we grew up with and haven’t challenged. Looking forward to new concoctions for dinner, thanks for sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I’m smiling reading this!! Thank you for sharing, that’s wonderful news. :)

When I met Eric, he wouldn’t eat any vegetables except perhaps frozen peas or carrots. It’s amazing how tastes can grow and change after repeated exposure! lol

Grace September 7, 2011 at 11:51 am

I recently came across your blog and love it! Fantastic recipes. I made this one ( the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta ) last night and it was FABULOUS!!! Let’s just say, it never made it onto any pasta – as I was eating it off the spoon. I brought some for lunch today – having it with crackers, along side my salad. Truly amazing stuff – delic!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011 at 12:45 pm

hehe sounds like me ;) Glad you loved it!

Doris September 7, 2011 at 11:55 am

You are Godsend! I had tons of tomato from CSA and looking for a way to use up. Made the pesto last night, almost burn down the house (I drizzle too much olive oil => smoke) but still turn out sooo good! Even my picky husband enjoy it! I omit almond & nutritional yeast (picky husband) and add a little bit of leftover hummus to thicken and still come out yummy. Roasting tomato is great idea! Thanks for coming out with great recipe and dummy proof for me!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011 at 11:58 am

I’m glad you enjoyed it (and didn’t burn the house down! lol)

Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY September 7, 2011 at 1:04 pm

wow, this looks amazing and now that the weather is cooling down, its actually warm enough to leave the oven on for an hour or so. Delish!

Laureen September 7, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Yum,yum,yum I definitely must try this recipe! I’m moving it to the top of my must-make-this list http://wp.me/P1OnhQ-2h. Thanks for sharing.
Laureen

[email protected] September 7, 2011 at 1:09 pm

This looks great! I love me some pasta, and I have tomatoes to use up! Thanks.

[email protected] September 7, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Yum! This looks amazing. I wish my basil plant would grow in this 100 dry Texas weather but I could cave and buy basil for this one.

Katherine September 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Wow this looks so delicious! I loooove roasted tomatoes, and especially with basil!

I thought you might want to know- when using Google Chrome, I still see your old header.

thehealthyapron September 7, 2011 at 2:52 pm

making this tonight! Been salivating ALL day! Literally!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh September 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Initially I winced because I’m not a tomato on their own fan but then seeing I could process the heck out of it with other flavors kinda gave me a culinary tingle! :-)

LG September 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I made the oil-free zucchini bread with strusel the other day…it ROCKS. I told my husband he might not like it but I can see by the empty container on the counter that it wasn’t the case. He said he loved it, and so do I, especially with the healthy “stats”! Thanks very much!

val September 7, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Mmm, mmm can’t wait to try the pesto recipe. Thank you Angela–I received Peas & Thank You, can’t wait to try the black bean burgers.

Stephanie September 7, 2011 at 4:31 pm

This recipe reminds me of Giada De Laurentis’ recipe for a pasta sauce using roasted eggplant and tomato. It is simply delicious! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/rigatoni-with-eggplant-puree-recipe/index.html

Amanda September 7, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Making this one tomorrow! I’m so excited! :-)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 7, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Oh wow!! You are one smart cookie.

This LOOKS so beautiful!!

Kristina September 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I wanted to make this but didn’t have any of the ingredients except a huge basket of tomatoes…but I NEEDED to try something similar so I totally improvised and made a creamy roasted tomato bacon sauce. Ok not vegan at all, but delish. Instead of cream I made a roux and added it to sauteed garlic, roasted tomatoes, and chopped bacon. Sprinkled in some lemon zest, a splash of red wine, some baby spinach, and some reserved startchy pasta water. May sound random but believe me it was amazing. And it could easily be veganized with Almond Milk, Earth Balance in the roux, and omit the bacon (duh).
Thanks for the idea!!

michelle September 7, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Yum! all my favourite ingredients in one dish

[email protected] September 7, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Oh my my.

tami September 7, 2011 at 9:27 pm

OMG!!!! Just got finished making this. I could not stop licking the bowl!!! I have never roasted tomatoes before. What an amazing flavor!!!! Thank you sooo much. XOXO

Nicole September 8, 2011 at 12:48 am

I am putting this on my to make list for tomorrow! Looks fabulous! Thank you for sharing!

[email protected] September 8, 2011 at 1:49 am

Hello Angela,

I stummbled across your blog and can’t stop reading it. Your story is very touching and I love your sense of humor. The photos of your dishes are mouth-watering. I will try this pesto very soon!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2011 at 7:51 am

Aww thank you Carina!

Andrea September 8, 2011 at 11:45 am

This pesto was AMAZING!!!!! I was licking the food processor bowl! Is that bad? :). Love your blog!

Jessica September 13, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I also licked the bowl. But I couldn’t stop there so I also licked the blade. Cooking is a risk, I tell you…

Hong September 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I’ve made two recipes from your site so far–this one and the 15-minute avocado pasta. This recipe is just ridiculously amazing. My market had organic San Marzano tomatoes and it just made this pesto the absolute best I’ve ever had. Really Angela, it’s amazing. (I’m going to make the weekend glow kale salad for my family this weekend!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011 at 9:17 am

So happy you love it so much!!

Janelle September 8, 2011 at 2:10 pm

This is really terrific. Just FYI, although it is not vegan, I substituted Parm Reg cheese in place of the almonds (for my mother, who has a severe nut allergy). It is hard to find good pesto recipes for her to enjoy, but this is sensational, she’s going to love it! I’m currently making another batch with the toasted almonds as your original recipe calls for, I’ll be curious to see how they compare. Thanks!

Janelle September 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Okay, I’ll admit it, yours is actually better. But the nut-free version with parm-reg is good too! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm

haha that’s funny, thanks for sharing your trials!! A nut free option is always great.

jordanarae September 8, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I just made this tonight and to say it was fantastic isn’t praising it enough. I added a few yellow romas as I really enjoy their taste and it was so good I’ll be making up another batch tomorrow.

Having pesto that isn’t 50% oil is such a treat!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Thank you for your feedback! Glad you enjoyed it :) I’m making more this weekend…

Angelique September 9, 2011 at 7:42 am

Hi Angela! Would this taste good as a cold pasta salad dish too?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I can’t see why not…I could eat it hot, cold, upside down, leaning out a car window…lol

Lizzie September 9, 2011 at 9:50 am

I’m going to try this recipt tonight to use up many of my tomatoes! Can’t wait!
P.S. You are an inspiration to us here at the U of G!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011 at 10:26 am

Aww thanks Lizzie!! Go Guelph! wheeee

Megan September 9, 2011 at 10:50 am

I made this the other night and it was – as promised – AMAZING! Honestly, there’s some left-over sauce in our fridge and it’s a small miracle that neither hubs nor myself have devoured it with a spoon in the middle of the night. And we’re already fans of your avocado pasta – love your recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011 at 11:22 am

Glad you liked it!

Natalie @fitjamericangirl.com September 9, 2011 at 11:26 pm

OMG Angela this is awesome! Soo good! The only thing I changed was roasting the garlic with the tomatoes. Thank you for this recipe, it’s perfection.

Gina September 10, 2011 at 1:09 am

I am trying to go as green as possible in my diet and came across your site and I just have to say I love it! Thanks for sharing!! All your recipes look amazing and I just can’t wait to try it.

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf September 10, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Holy heck! That looks intoxicating! I need a bowl of that with some wine. Perfect dinner. :)

Tara September 11, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Hi Angela!
I am planning on making this for supper tonight (and taking leftovers to school tomorrow). Just something to clear up before I get started: You cooked 9 roma tomatoes and said to add 1.5 cups into the food processor to make the sauce along with the rest of the ingredients..it just seems that 9 tomatoes would produce more than 1.5 cups, so I’m just wondering if you saved them and made a separate batch with additional basil, olive oil, garlic, etc. If you could let me know when you get a chance, that would be great! :)
Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Hey Tara!
Sorry for the delay in reply. I used 1.5 cups of tomatoes for the pesto and for the leftovers, I chopped them up and mixed them into the pasta :)

Tara September 11, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Wow sorry- I was reading the directions with the pictures earlier, and just re-read the directions before that where everything is clearly explained… Thanks! :D

Sheelah September 12, 2011 at 8:19 am

Hi I was just wondering if you think you could freeze the roasted tomatoes and then go back and make this pesto later. There are so many fresh tomatoes right now! And the pesto is incredible by the way!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Gosh I’m not sure! I have never thought to freeze tomatoes before. Anyone know?

Bethany September 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Angela I can’t believe how awesome this pesto is!!! I am not normally a huge pesto fan, but the roasted tomatoes made it unbelievable. I never knew vegan food could be so delicious. I made this, your roasted red pepper hummus, and long weekend grilled salad over the weekend and I am in food heaven. So is my husband. :)

Laury @thefitnessdish September 12, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I made this over the weekend. Incredible. You are incredible. I did it over zucchini pasta because I knew that I would eat like a pound of regular pasta with it LOL. SO good. Thank you for this recipe!!!

Melanie September 12, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Made this tonight!! Hubby and son loved it and my son said it was the best vegan thing I’ve ever made!! He had 3 bowls full. Hubby raved as well. I used 3 roma’s from my garden and the rest were huge grape tomatoes from our garden. Hubby also got some fresh basil from a plant they have at work (gotta love guys who plant basil at work)! I also had a little less than 1/2 cup almonds so I used some almond butter to make up the difference.

Yummy!! Thanks for an awesome recipe. I wanted to eat the whole tray of tomatoes!!

Ana Maria September 13, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Hey Angela! I made this for my family last night and they went bonkers! (I also went bonkers) It was so delicious! Thanks!

I did wind up roasting the garlic as well since I’m allergic to raw garlic but everything else stayed the same :)

Jane-ifer September 13, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Thanks for this recipe, Angela. I made this over the weekend and it was very nice with my pasta. But you know what was even better? I used the leftover pesto as the spread on my gluten-free vegan pizza last night, and that was delicious! Better even than its marinara counterpart.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011 at 4:03 pm

MMM great idea!

Heather September 13, 2011 at 6:51 pm

The day before you posted this recipe I had just froze 7 cups of fresh basil from my backyard. Since then, I have been been giving my basil and tomato plants the evil eye so I would have enough home grown goodness for this. Finally got to harvest today, yay! Thanks for the inspiration, my less than healthy male counterpart doesn’t care too much for straight basil, or the copious amounts of pesto I have been making. It’s in the oven now. I can’t wait to eat a tomato and burn my mouth off. I don’t even have to wait, every recipe I have ever made of your has been to die for.

Thanks again, love your blog, and love not having to think about what I am making in the kitchen sometimes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011 at 8:34 am

Thank you Heather :) I hope you enjoyed it!

Michelle September 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I love love love this recipe thank you Angela! I recently experimented with it and have come up with one that blew my mind and is even healthier!

I do the pesto the exact same way, no changes there however along with roasting the tomatoes I also do eggplant, zucchini, onions, and a pepper (red, yellow or orange). Sometimes I add garlic as well. Once the veggies are roasted and quite soft I mix them with the pesto. If you want it to be more sauce like you can put it all together in a pan on low stirring occasionally. I then add some olives (totally optional but I like the salty flavour they add, kalamata works best) then I spoon the sauce over whole wheat pasta and garnish with some basil on top. It is seriously amazing! I always make extra and put it on whole wheat toast for an awesome lunch.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 16, 2011 at 7:50 am

love your modifications! Sounds amazing :)

Christine September 16, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Oh my. This is FANTASTIC! Thanks *very* much for sharing this recipe! :-)

Caryn September 17, 2011 at 9:45 am

I just bought my first food processor – inspired by this recipe. Definintely worth it -thank you!

Rebecca C September 17, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I just made this and it was amazing! I served it over spaghetti squash. I look forward to trying more of your recipes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2011 at 8:23 am

Glad you enjoyed it!

Sharika September 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Wow! I just made this recipe and my taste buds are dancing in my mouth! This is jam packed with flavor. I can’t wait to eat it with some pasta for my meal later! Thank you! :)

Willie Costello September 19, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Today my blog was dedicated to the singing this recipe’s praises, and it deserves every accolade:

Seriously. I have made this pesto now three times SINCE FRIDAY.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011 at 10:31 pm

HOLLA!

Kelsey September 20, 2011 at 8:14 am

I have never made my own pesto. My co-worker would bring it in ALL the time and say how easy it was. And I absolutely love roasted tomatoes! I have never been a big tomato person but I roasted tomatoes for the first time this summer and they are amazing.

Liz September 20, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Made this yesterday and used it as the sauce for vegan pizza. It was a BIG hit! You can be sure this will become a regular on our pizza crusts and pastas!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011 at 12:39 pm

great idea! I will have to try that. :)

Gabriels aka The Picky Foodie September 20, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Been looking for a new one to have on my kelp noodles. looks like a must!

Sarah @ Sharing Bananas September 21, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I made this for my carnivore husband last night and slipped in some vegan meatballs…without telling him they were vegan. He loved it!

Still haven’t told him….

Melanie September 22, 2011 at 6:01 am

We had this for the second time Tuesday night. We already have plans on having it again next week if we can get some more tomatoes and basil out of the plants next week (I don’t think my tomatoes have ever gone this long before).

Thanks again!! LOVE THIS!

Carol Johnson September 22, 2011 at 9:54 pm

seriously yummy. Likely the best pesto ever. I don’t love raw garlic, so I roasted mine on the cookie sheet with the tomatoes for the last few minutes.

Andrea September 23, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I don’t currently have any nutritional yeast, what difference do you think it would make to the pesto if I left it out?

Andrea September 25, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Well, I answered my own question :) I made this pesto tonight and plan on making at least one more batch this week to freeze for the winter :) It turned out awesome and I think I’m going to make some pasta to use it with for dinner tomorrow, thanks!

Jana September 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Thank you so much for sharing that recipe. I made it last weekend for some friends with the vague hope that there would be some leftovers for sunday. It was completely gone within 20 minutes :-).

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Glad it was enjoyed!

Kelly September 23, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I love this recipe! I made it for the second time last night, this time over spaghetti squash. Definitely a win; the tomato and garlic really complimented the nutty squash flavor. :) Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011 at 11:33 am

oh great idea :)

Jill @ A Cook's Nook October 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Just saw this post go up on FB and wanted to thank you for the reminder. This looks delicious & I have all the ingredients to make it tonight! I’m a little too excited about this :)

Renata October 20, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Hi Angela – have you ever tried this recipe without the oil? I’m wondering because I’ve been following the Forks over Knives suggestions about not using oil…which makes it super hard! Anyhow, this looks so incredibly delicious, I’m just curious if you think it would be ruined if I omitted oil? Thanks!

Jane Plass October 20, 2011 at 2:44 pm

My sister and I made this after picking armloads of basil at her CSA’s farm end-of-season PestoFest in September. Delicious, but even better after we added a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar!

Steph @ A Life without Ice Cream October 21, 2011 at 6:47 am

OMG that sauce looks heavenly!

Lina May 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Looks great! How big is your food processor? I’m just wondering, I have a small 3 cup food processor… and for anything larger I use my vitamix (but sometimes the vitamix has too much power).

Jessie @ amomgetsfit May 31, 2012 at 8:39 am

I just found this recipe and it looks DELICIOUS!!!!!
I can’t wait to make it.

If I want to feed 3 adults and two (small) kids – how much should I make of this???

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2012 at 10:20 am

It makes 1 cup of pesto so I guess it really depends on how much pesto you want on each serving. If you used 1/4 cup pesto per dish, essentially you could get away with 3 servings + 2 small? Or maybe just double the recipe anyways because the leftovers are amazing on sandwiches and whatnot.

Sara June 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm

What can I sub for the nuts? I would love to make this but am allergic!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012 at 8:37 am

Im not sure, do you think sunflower seeds would work?

Darlene June 19, 2012 at 2:26 pm

This was soooo good, loved it.

Kristine August 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I made an awesome pasta salad with your delicious roasted tomato pesto! I added diced zucchini, red onion, black olives, and capers. So good! Thanks for another great recipe. :)

Maddy August 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I’m about to make this! If I were to do this with cherry tomatoes, how many cups would I use?

Anna September 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I had an overflow of Roma tomatoes and basil from my garden and decided to make a double batch of this. I am SO glad I did, it is delicious!

Jeuline September 5, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Oh My, this sounds and looks delicious… And I love the name of your website! :))) Shine On!!!

kendra September 5, 2012 at 10:01 pm

WOW! WOW! WOW! I just made this and put it over raw zucchini and yellow zucchini pasta. I’m in love. Lol.

Maura September 6, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Ange – Fantastic! Made this for the kids tonight and I was blown away! What an incredible flavor combo!!!! You’re the best!!

Carolyn September 8, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I second dhauberger’s scentiment!

Heidi c September 8, 2012 at 11:39 pm

JusT an FYI. I am making this right now & threw in some more beefsteak type heirloom black tomatoes in addition to Romas because I have a bunch as well. They roasted down to practically nothing so probably best to stick with romas.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2012 at 7:27 am

Aw good to know, thanks for the tip! Sorry that happened to you.

haley September 9, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I made this for dinner tonight with a non-vegan – we both LOVED it, sooo good and sooooooooooo easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!

sonya September 10, 2012 at 9:26 am

Can’t wait to serve this tonight…just put the tomatoes in the oven to roast.

I do have a question, I have not used nutritional yeast before. I did purchase some in bulk to try. Do you know by chance the salt content?
Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Emily September 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm

How many tomatoes do you think you,d use if you have big beefsteak tomatoes? It’s hard to tell how many tomatoes are equivalent to 9 Roma’s, but it looks like 1.5 cups total?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Hey Emily!
I’m sorry I didn’t measure the amount of cups prior to roasting (should have or weighed them). Anyway, the tomatoes do shrink down when roasting, so I would err on the side of roasting too many rather than too few – the leftover are AMAZING thrown into pasta, salads, etc. Goodluck!

Christine September 16, 2012 at 8:52 pm

This recipe is amazing! I love that it used up so many of the Roma’s sitting on my kitchen window sill.

Sarah Bester October 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Just thought I would comment since I just made this for dinner tonight as I had a whole bunch of heirloom tomatoes to use up from my CSA box. I’m eating it right now and it’s delicious! I threw in some hot pepper flakes to spice it up a notch. Thanks for the simple, yet tasty recipe.

JazzyJ4545 October 4, 2012 at 11:33 am

Made this and it was absolutely fantastic. Took your hint and made extra to freeze. Love your site.

Nd October 11, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I made this again last night as part of an unprocessed dinner. I think it is delicious. One question I have is have you ever made your own vegan pasta? If so do you have a good recipe you could share?

Goldie October 18, 2012 at 12:04 pm

WOW!!! I made this dish last night — soooo freakin good I couldn’t believe it. I’ve never made pesto or roasted tomatoes or almonds before, and boy oh boy my mouth is in love. Can’t wait to make it again! Thank you so much for this delicious recipe :)

Bou Shin @ Shin's Vegan Lovin' November 9, 2012 at 10:32 am

This looks fantastic! I was wondering if it would be okay if I used one of your photos for this recipe and linked to your blog through my own. I’m doing an event for my upcoming, golden, 18th birthday and I am having a huge event called “Shinmas” where I am advertising other people’s blogs and we have a whole setup of themes each day and it becomes really fun. I am also going to hold a few giveaways so that those who don’t have blogs or artwork to share can also join in.

Bou Shin

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Thanks for asking. That is not a problem – please email me the link when it’s up! press[at]ohsheglows[dot]com

Allyne November 9, 2012 at 4:28 pm

This is absolutely delicious! I have tonnes of tomatoes from my garden that are ripening rapidly, this is the perfect recipe for them. I’m going to make more batches to freeze. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

Phyllis Fisher November 14, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Thank you so much. My husband & I are relatively new vegans (less than 2 years-doctor recommended-improved our health as seniors significantly) and still trying new recipes. I served this on thin spaghetti with a side of roasted pineapple and kiwis which were on sale this week. Added an appetizer of fresh sweet peppers with hummus for extra protein. Am enjoying one of your cookies as I write. Your page is bookmarked for regular checks–also sending it to my vegan-struggling kids.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2012 at 11:38 am

Thank you Phyllis! Congrats on goign vegan. Im so thrilled to hear you are enjoying the recipes. All the best to you.

Caroline December 12, 2012 at 10:30 am

I made this for a dinner party last night, and everyone loved it! Thanks for the recipe!

Allison December 20, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Angela! This looks delicious, as always! But how much How pasta would you guess for for each cup of pesto?

HautePinkPretty January 8, 2013 at 5:47 pm

This was delicious!!!!! I made it today for my husband and I during lunch and it was a huge hit! He agreed that it’s better than the creamy avocado pasta (which was shocking to hear since that’s been a long time fave of ours, too)! We’re not vegan, but he’s lactose intolerant so we always enjoy using your recipes :) I just added in some grilled chicken since he can’t deal without any meat but honestly, the pasta was so good on it’s own ;) Thank you for another staple meal! Xx

Sara January 14, 2013 at 12:20 pm

This is my absolute favorite recipe on your site! I love making this and especially eating it! I had never roasted tomatoes until this recipe and let me tell you, I love them. Soo tasty! This also makes the perfect next day lunch. Thanks for your always awesome recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Im so glad to hear that Sara!

Michelle January 21, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I just went vegan a week ago and made this tonight. Since it’s not tomato season here in Reno, I used the canned fire roasted tomatoes, very well drained.

OMGosh! Sooooooooo delicious.

My vegan friend is coming over for dinner and she will LOVE it too.

Robin February 1, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I made this tonight and it was one of the most delicious pesto’s thank you! I used gluten free spiral noodles, and I used walnuts because that is what I had and I added garbanzo beans. It was fantastic, one of my husband’s favorite pesto’s.

Eliana February 10, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I made this recipe last night for some friends and it was a hit! Absolutely delicious :)

I totally recommend it

Julie February 10, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Just made this pesto with some grape tomatoes I had on hand along with your eggplant parmesan. I threw in some fresh herbs for the eggplant coating as you suggested. I roasted some spaghetti squash and now am totally blissing out over lunch. Wow, this is good!

LaReine February 12, 2013 at 9:43 am

I made this last night along with the roasted tomato soup AMAZING!!!
I pretty much make a few of your recipes every single night and they are all mind blowing… I’ve been vegan for a month now and you’ve made it so easy I can’t imagine eating any other way now… Just want to say THANK YOU :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 13, 2013 at 8:51 am

Thank you for leaving such a lovely comment! I appreciate it

Shelley March 28, 2013 at 8:34 pm

First of all..THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your amazing recipes…you have truly become a lifesaver in our household. I am vegan, my husband is mostly vegan, and my two daughters are not, but trying to eat healthier. I have recently discovered that I am also intolerant to wheat/gluten and soy…that felt so overwhelming to me until I found your website and your recipes. Last night I whipped up a bunch of them that have inspired the whole family…words are not good enough here to tell you how much I appreciate the simplicity and beauty in all of the dishes we’ve tried so far. We are all looking forward to trying more and more and more!

Made this for dinner tonight and it was to die for!!! Next time we make it I will saute some mushrooms and onion to toss in too…and more tomatoes I think…they were so good you wanted one in every bite :)…

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 29, 2013 at 10:01 am

Thank you Shelley, I’m so glad to hear this!

Heather April 7, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Cannot wait to try this. I sent my husband a text with all the ingredients to pick up from work along with a picture to get him on board. He agreed it looked fantastic and bought the stuff. :D SO happy I found your page! I keep looking for vegan and vegetarian recipes and they all have tofu or loads of soy, which I cannot have. So I LOVE that you have everything divided by allergies. Thank you for making recipes easy for someone like me. :)

Megan Kates May 7, 2013 at 10:11 am

Angela…we made this last night..UNREAL! This will be a regular in our rotation. Thanks for being such an inspiration for the vegan lifestyle! Yummy!

Fofita May 29, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Hello! I’ve been reading your blog for some time, and I finally tried one of your recipes… Well, this pesto is just awesome! Even my husband who thinks there should be meat at each meal loved it! :) Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013 at 5:06 pm

So happy to hear that Fofita! :)

Ashley June 3, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I just made this for dinner and the recipe came out perfectly! The pesto is amazing. Thank you for the post. :-)

Priya August 8, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Hi Angela,

I made this sauce a few weeks ago and it has become my family’s most favorite one. So delicious. Thank you so much for this mouth watering recipe. I have a question though, can we store it the fridge (not freeze it) and use it over 3-5 days? If so, do we heat it or just bring it to room temperature before pouring it on pasta? Also if we freeze does it need to be heated up or is it enough to bring it to room temp?

Thank you once again.

Priya.

Shannon August 18, 2013 at 4:36 pm

My goodness! Just made this for my family and it was a huge hit. Best yet, I forgot to add the oil and everyone still thought it was amazing. My 9 month old also thought it was amazing. This is seriously one of my favorites and will use time and time again. This will now be my go to dish. Thank you!!!!

Kara September 2, 2013 at 11:25 am

Just made this with two kinds of cherry tomatoes and one plum tomato from our garden. I also had walnuts on hand rather than almonds. Ridiculously good!!! Thank you!! :)

ula September 10, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I have just made it. It’s sooo good! I ended up using only 5 tomatoes and used cashews instead of almonds since that’s what I had in my pantry. Thanks for the recipe, it’s really good!

David October 9, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Made this tonight and it was delicious. Thanks!

Graciela October 17, 2013 at 9:51 am

I tried this last night and it was AMAZING! Thank you for such a wonderful recipe! We had it on top of Ronzoni Garden Delight Spagetti!

Katie October 22, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I came for your roasted tomato soup (with coconut milk) and stayed for this pesto. Took your advice and roasted extra tomatoes when I made the soup. I finally thawed them and made the pesto today. Omg what took me so long? That was so so good. We were licking the bowl. I know you have a ton of comments and this is an “old” recipe, but I felt compelled to tell you how delicious it was. Thanks for sharing! Love your work!

Hannah December 2, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Do you peel and core the tomatoes before you put them in the processor?

Regina December 30, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I can’t eat almonds and was debating on trying walnuts or cashews instead. What exactly do the almonds add? texture and flavor?? What do you think?

Madelynne January 20, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I write this as I devour a bowl :D
It’s delicious. Perfect balance of sweet and acidity from the roasted tomatoes.
I will absolutely be making it again!!!

edie January 21, 2014 at 3:40 pm

This is fantastic! I made the pesto this morning, and now can’t wait for dinner!

Nerida March 14, 2014 at 3:35 am

DELICIOUS!!!! Amazing this will be a staple in our house from now on x

Sarah R March 19, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Wow! This WAS the BEST pesto I have ever tasted! I just wanted to eat the pesto and not add the pasta! I will definitely make this again…and I never knew roasted tomatoes were so heavenly…

Ann March 31, 2014 at 6:31 pm

This recipe is to die for. I didn’t have quite as many tomatoes but it still turned out delicious! The smell of roasting tomatoes and toasted almonds is inspiring. Thanks!

meaghan May 6, 2014 at 4:55 pm

this is one of my FAVORITE dishes. i made it abolut a year ago when Michelle Zink posted it on her blog…fabulous! i’ve tweaked it a bit so there’s the perfect amount of nutritional yeast, for me…i’m not vegan, or even vegetarian, but this dish is de-LISH regardless.

now that it’s EXCEPTIONALLY hot, i like to eat it room temp or even cold…makes a really good, flavourful chilled summer pasta…

Cami June 24, 2014 at 6:50 pm

This was incredibly delicious! Thanks for a great recipe. :)

Hannah July 5, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I made this for my (non-vegan) family tonight, and it was a huge hit! Thank you so much for all of the fantastic recipes that have helped me show the meat enthusiasts in my house that vegan cooking is delicious!

Gabrielle August 3, 2014 at 8:49 am

My new favourite pesto recipe! We gobble it all up every time. Thanks!

Sarah August 30, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Hi Angela!

Absolutely LOVE your recipes! I have a ridiculous amount of grape tomatoes on hand….think I could still use them for this recipe? Any idea roughly how many I should roast and what the roasting temperature and duration should be since they’re so tiny?

Thanks!
Sarah

laura September 4, 2014 at 12:48 am

made this tonight, delicious!!!

Lisa September 5, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Oh my goodness I have never appreciated the full joy of roasted tomatoes right out of the oven! This is a great dish, and was a winner with the whole family which is rare! I actually made the pesto without the almonds due to my son’s nut allergy so I was worried, but it turned out so yummy and flavorful anyway. I am making it for the second time tonight, with extra tomatoes on the pan in the oven so I can stuff my face with them!

Steph F September 8, 2014 at 11:50 am

What would be a good seed alternative to the almonds? I’m allergic to nuts. Thanks!

Wendy September 9, 2014 at 10:32 pm

I made this tonight! Delicious! I am definitely going to make again! Thanks

Connie October 8, 2014 at 8:30 am

what does the yeast help in the recipe

Joyce October 9, 2014 at 7:52 am

I made this two night ago for dinner and STILL cannot get over how AWSOME it was. I’ve never eaten pesto in my life but it is now a staple. Thank you!

Diane December 28, 2014 at 1:26 pm

First, THANK YOU for sharing your delicious recipes on your amazing web site – I’m addicted to just about everything I see here and know so many people who are as well.

LOVE the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto and used it over Christmas as the sauce in a lasagna, with the Basil Cashew Cheeze and plenty of oven roasted veg and breaded eggplant as the “noodles”. This was devoured by everyone, including the skeptics, and will be made many more times in the future.

Thanks again, and best wishes for the new year.

natzy February 3, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Hello Ang! Hey I got a question, can I replace almonds for peanut?

Melissa May 16, 2015 at 9:30 am

I love this recipe! I’ve easily made it a dozen times in 3 months. I can’t wait to see how it tastes with summer tomatoes!

Amy June 10, 2015 at 9:51 pm

THIS WAS DELICIOUS! We are having a heat wave here, so cooking has not been high on my activities list. I roasted the tomatoes yesterday morning, so things wouldn’t get too hot in the house. I ended up being out for dinner that evening, so I put the tomatoes in the fridge. When I got home from work today, I threw everything in the food processor and, voila! DEEEEEELISH! It was super easy and quick. I used walnuts, because I’m allergic to almonds. My husband (who is NOT super enjoying my current vegetarian/vegan kick) couldn’t get enough of it.
Thank you for your beautiful recipes, Angela!

Anna April 29, 2016 at 8:44 pm

Made this twice now as written. Absolutely LOVE this recipe and it has become my go-to pasta sauce.

Angela Liddon May 3, 2016 at 11:59 am

I’m so happy to hear the recipe’s a hit, Anna!

Peg August 14, 2016 at 6:34 pm

So GOOD!

Alva August 28, 2016 at 2:19 pm

AMAZING. This pesto was soooo good, sooooo creamy and soooo easy. I used cherry tomatoes to minimize the roasting time, it only required 15mins! Instead of almonds I roasted some pinenuts for that “classic” pesto flavor. I served it to the rest of the family and everyone enjoyed it. Thank you for introducing me to a now staple recipe in my household!

Angela Liddon August 29, 2016 at 10:03 am

I’m so glad the recipe’s such a hit, Alva!

Sandie Ho January 3, 2017 at 5:07 pm

I just made this and it is absolutely divine! I added some roasted broccoli. Love all your recipes!!

Angela Liddon January 4, 2017 at 11:41 am

So glad you enjoyed the recipe, Sandie!

Ruby March 20, 2017 at 2:20 pm

This pesto is unbelievable. I can’t thank you enough for the recipe. Just WOW. You wont regret trying this!!

Pam April 26, 2017 at 11:11 am

Just made this…another Amazing recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Joelle Branham December 21, 2017 at 10:46 am

I made this last night as a gift for my vegan daughter! It tastes amazing.
Please tell me the shelf life in the frig, non-frozen. Thank you

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Hi Joelle, So happy to hear that!
It’s been a while since I’ve made this so I’m not positive about the fridge life. I would guess between 3 to 6 days.