Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

IMG_1422-2

We haven’t been this excited about a dinner recipe in a long time.

IMG_1463

Probably not since the 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta, which Eric said – in between shoveling this pasta in his mouth – is “not as good as this roasted tomato pesto recipe”.

I didn’t believe it, but after tasting and then devouring my own bowl of pesto (ok, there was some pasta in there too), I may have to agree with him. This is by far, the best pesto I’ve made or perhaps ever tasted.

IMG_1424

Don’t be put off by the colour, I promise it tastes much better than it looks. ;)

We enjoyed it so much, I made two batches over the long weekend and froze some for a later date. In January, there will be no tears over tasteless tomatoes as long as I have this pesto waiting for us!

IMG_1466

If I can wait that long to eat it, that is.

Outlook not good.

IMG_1465

IMG_1415

I decided to roast the tomatoes first to give the pesto a really deep flavour. So glad I did!!

First, I drizzled them with olive oil and sprinkled them with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

IMG_1419

Into the pre-heated oven they went at 400F for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. The longer they roast, the more delicious they become. The bottoms will be blackened slightly, but not to worry as it only enhances the flavour.

IMG_1422

After cooling slightly, I ate one straight off the pan. And I almost burned my mouth off, but it was so worth it. I’m surprised that the rest of them made it into the processor!

IMG_1431

While the processor blade is spinning, add two garlic cloves. Let it whirl around until the garlic is chopped. Next, add 1 cup of tightly packed basil and process. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spoon. With the processor on, add in 1/4 cup oil, 1.5 cups of roasted tomatoes, nutritional yeast (optional), and salt and pepper to taste. Pulse in the toasted almonds.

I’m loving this olive oil right now:

IMG_1121

IMG_1423

This pesto is so delicious it’s unreal.

This was my first batch and I used 1 cup of roasted tomatoes, but I suggest using 1.5 cups of roasted tomatoes as I did in my second batch. You get more bang for your buck!

IMG_1424

If you want to be a fancy pants, you can Chiffonade the basil for garnishing on top of the pasta. “Chiffon” is French for “rag” which is what the basil will look like when you’re finished.

IMG_1435

How to Chiffonade basil:

1. Grab a few basil leaves (you can use spinach or any leafy vegetable for future reference)

IMG_1437

2. Stack them on top of one another like so.

IMG_1440

3. Now roll it up all the way.

IMG_1445

4. Grab a sharp knife and slice tiny 1mm cuts through the rolled up basil.

IMG_1451

Do not slice finger off as it looks like I’m about to do in the above photo. That would not be good.

Repeat until you’ve sliced through all of it. The basil, not your finger.

IMG_1452

5. With your (in tact) fingers, gently separate the basil into its ‘rag-like’ pieces and sprinkle over top of your dish.

IMG_1455

And if you handle them as long as I did to get these photos, they will really look like rags!

You are now a fancy pants.

IMG_1456

It is your mission to go on and enjoy those deliciously sweet tomatoes that are waiting for you.

Just don’t forget to freeze some for the Winter!

1 Natalie September 6, 2011

Looks delicious!

2 Natalie September 6, 2011

YAY I was the first commenter!

3 dhauberger July 1, 2012

I am always searching the web for ideas when I cook. This is, hands down, the tastiest recipe I have found thus far. I consider myself quite the foodie and have never commented on a recipe I have found, used and loved. Kudos to you ma’am job well cooked ;)

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2012

Thank you for your comment, Im so happy you love it!

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg September 6, 2011

What a beautiful bowl of food — I love the taste of roasted tomatoes!

6 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 6, 2011

I’m a HUGE pesto lover, so this looks promising– to say the least

7 Beach Bum Beauty September 6, 2011

Oh Angela, you’ve done it again. Made me feel hungry when I’ve only just eaten. I wish I could put my hand through the computer and grab a bowl of this DELISH!

8 Noelle September 6, 2011

Looks like a great fall dish!

9 jennie in wonderland September 6, 2011

Oh good golly, that looks riiiiiidiculously good. Must make tonight.

I wonder if the pasta would be good with some sliced buttery avocado on top? What do you think, Angela? I’m not sure how the two tastes would mesh.

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

I can’t see why not!

11 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} September 6, 2011

Oh, I hope I get more tomatoes in my CSA box this week. This pesto looks fabulous!

12 Halley (Blunder Construction) September 6, 2011

Mmm, sounds like another killer recipe! Good idea to make ahead with fresh tomatoes while they are still tasty!

13 Chloe (In Fine Feather) September 6, 2011

Oh yum! I definitely want to make this – do you think I could do it in a blender?

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Hmm good question. I’m not sure…I guess it depends on your blender! I would like to think it would work.

15 Ally September 6, 2011

Yum! Do you leave the skins on the tomatoes or do you remove them?

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

leave them on :)

17 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) September 6, 2011

i have so many tomatoes that i need to use still.. i’ve made sauce and did pesto yesterday without tomatoes, so this version looks delicious!

18 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 6, 2011

Looks so good! I love the melt-y roasted tomatoes. :)

Have you ever made beet pesto? I made a beet-sunflower seed the other day is at was pretty tasty. :)

19 amy @lovetotrain September 6, 2011

YUM this looks delicious! I make a similar sauce but with raw tomatos- definitely gonna give it a go with roasting them!

20 Jessica September 6, 2011

I just found my dinner recipe for tonight! That looks so yummy! “You are now a fancy pants.” haha! Love it.

21 Kate September 6, 2011

I lovee roasted tomatoes I need to make this pesto asap!

22 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious September 6, 2011

Oh Ang — this looks amazing! I have been eating bushels of tomatoes since they started coming into season and I will definitely be making this — I’m thinking tonight maybe?! I love freezing fresh tomatoes, fresh corn and fresh berries to use over the winter months!

23 Melissa September 6, 2011

*Drool* Must make tonight!

24 Christina @ The Athletarian September 6, 2011

Wow, Angela! This looks so amazing. My family just made boatloads of pesto to freeze for the season but the tomatoes take it to a completely different level! I am definitely going to have to try this one! Your photos look so warm and comforting. What a perfect meal for the weather we are having :)

25 thehealthyapron September 6, 2011

we just got a BOAT LOAD Of tomatoes from my grandpa yesterday! Now all I need to get is seom fresh basil and I’ WILL be making this! Thanks for ther ecipe! LOVE IT!

26 Silverfaerie September 6, 2011

This sounds delicious! I absolutely <3 pesto and have always wanted to make my own. Can't wait to try it. Mind if I link up to a your post on my blog?

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Nope go ahead. Enjoy!

28 Magda September 6, 2011

Looks fantastic :) A pesto fanatic here :) Although recently I’ve been crazy about using roasted veggies hummus as my pasta sauce/cream :)

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

mmm that sounds right up my alley!

30 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 6, 2011

Oh my, this is gorgeous!! Sadly my basil plant has come to the end of its life… I haven’t watered it more or less or anything, but it just seems to have called it quits! So as soon as I get to the grocery store to buy some new basil, this will be coming out of my kitchen! :)

31 Lizzie September 6, 2011

How weird – I had taken a photo of a roasted tomato sauce recipe at the gym the other day (it was in a mag I was reading) and ended up with a bunch of tomatoes to make it. But now I am thinking of making this instead!

Rather obvious question – can you use something other than Roma tomatoes? I have a mix in my fridge at the moment.

Angela, you would seriously cry with happiness if you saw one of the stands at our local farmers market. They seriously have about 16 different varieties of tomatoes (last night we had Thai Pink Egg toms in our salad) and it’s like some kind of tomato festival!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Wow that sounds beautiful! I’d be all over that.
I’d imagine you can use most types of sweet tomatoes :)

33 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 6, 2011

Oh wow, it looks delicious! I love the first image of the roasted tomato. Man, you’re so talented with that darn camera! Do you still shoot with your 50mm? Or have you moved on?
Also, have to tell you – last night I was taking a picture of my salad and the lighting was bad so I tried the ‘quick run over to the side with the reflector sheet trick’… and dropped the sheet IN my salad :( humpf.

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

haha that’s happened to me before. I actually have a couple stains on my reflector sheet. Gross eh?

Yup still using the 50mm, although last night I had a dream that I bought a $2000 lens! lol

35 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 6, 2011

I’m so happy it’s not just me! Not gross at all. Give it a couple of months and I’m sure mine will be in the same condition.
I just started shooting with a 17-85mm along with my 50mm. Although it’s nice to get some range, I keep going back to my 50mm. It’s just such a darn good lens!
Could you imagine getting a $2k lens? I wouldn’t know what to do with it?! First up – get some stains on that baby! jk jk

36 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes September 6, 2011

Oh this looks incredible! I am in love with pesto. Can’t wait to try this!!

37 Shanna, Like Banana September 6, 2011

Oh my…so yum. That first photo had me majorly drooling. I recently made my foray into pesto 2 years ago and I’m obsessed. I like to add all sorts of things like sun dried tomatoes, walnuts, spicy peppers, etc.

38 Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop September 6, 2011

Another amazing recipe! Thanks for the great idea :)
Awesome pictures too, by the way.

39 Caroline @ chocolate & carrots September 6, 2011

Mmm…it looks so hearty and delicious! :-) And I’m assuming that those beautiful vegetables are from your garden?

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

The romas are from the market, sadly I didnt grow any romas this year!

41 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy September 6, 2011

I am drooling just looking at the pictures of this pasta! I love roasted tomatoes with basil! Perfect recipe!

42 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 6, 2011

OMG! I wish I would’ve had this recipe on Sunday when I needed to use up those roma tomatoes on my counter (I ended up making fresh pico de gallo instead)! I’ll be heading to the store tonight for more tomatoes to make this! Yum!

43 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 6, 2011

What a great looking dish! I am always looking for healthy pasta recipes and this is definitely going to make its way into the rotation.

44 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 6, 2011

Those roasted tomatoes are so beautiful, I almost hate to see them go into the food processor! :-)

45 Girl in the pink September 6, 2011

Yum, I’ve heard of sundried tomato pesto but not roasted tomato!!

46 Emily September 6, 2011

How did you freeze this? How long does it keep? Thanks!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

I just put it in a glass (freezer safe) small container and then covered the pesto with a bit of plastic wrap to keep away freezer burn. Then put the lid on and popped it into the freezer. Im sure there’s a better way to freeze it, but that’s how I do it. I’m not positive how long it keeps in the freezer, but I’m sure it’s easy to find out!

48 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com September 6, 2011

Love roasted tomatoes! Great idea turning them into pesto! yum!

49 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 6, 2011

Yum! I love pesto…this recipe looks amazing. I’m bookmarking it right now!

50 Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather September 6, 2011

That looks amazing! I always try to have Extra pesto in the freeze… Now I want this one in there. I’m excited about this meal too!

51 Jackie @ That Deep Breath September 6, 2011

This looks delicious!! Can’t wait to try it!

52 Heather September 6, 2011

This looks amazing!! My mom grew an absurd amount of tomatoes this season and now we have about 50 jars of sauce ready for tomato soup, pizza sauce, and much more. Any good ‘mater soup recipes, it’s one of the main things I crave during our PA winters! Thanks!

53 Mama Pea September 6, 2011

This looks amazing! True story: I had a professional chef helping me prep a cooking demo a few weeks ago and I asked him to “jullienne” the mint. He gave me kind of a haughty look and said, “I think you mean chiffonade.” I felt like a complete moron. ;)

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

LOL! That just made my day. I say things like that all the time. Don’t you wish you had a mental Google reference? lol.

55 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe September 6, 2011

That sounds amazing! Definitely trying this one.

56 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan September 6, 2011

Ooh, so it’s like a Romesco sauce…yummy!!

57 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 6, 2011

oh my goodness, that looks absolutely amazing!!! I love tomatoes!

58 Melanie September 6, 2011

We love your 15 min Creamy Avocado Pasta so cannot wait to try this!! I love roasted tomatoes so I’m sure it will be a huge hit!! Are the almonds necessary to make the sauce? (We have quite a few family members who have nut allergies?) Would it change the flavor to leave them out?

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

I think it would work without the almonds. The crunchy texture & nuttiness would be missing but I do think it would still taste nice with proper seasoning.

60 Katherine September 6, 2011

We have the same almond issue in our house, I’m wondering if some sort of seed (sunflower? pumpkin?) would add the crunch the almonds provide. I’m going to experiment this evening…

61 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

great idea!

62 Katherine September 7, 2011

So I made it! After sampling the various seeds in my pantry I decided that none of them had the right flavour so I just left all crunchy stuff out. It was sooooo good! I’d never have known there was an ingredient missing since I haven’t tried it any other way.

63 Melanie September 7, 2011

Thanks to both of you for letting me know. I will so be trying this recipe out tonight. Just got a 25 lb box of tomatoes from the fruit truck (grown organically) and can’t wait to get into it and start making things!! :)

64 Melanie September 7, 2011

Oh.My.Goodness!! This has to be your best recipe yet!!! I couldn’t stop eating it. Amazing!! This will be part of our rotation for a very, very long time. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe, Angela!!

You said that you froze some–how on earth did you ever have any left. We ate the whole amount in one sitting! Totally delicious!!

65 halima September 6, 2011

looks yummy, do you think it would be as good if i didn’t use almonds (or any nuts) in it?? my daughter is allergic.

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

See comment above :)

67 Sara September 6, 2011

That looks amazing. I am having the hardest time finding good RED tomatoes in the markets here. I feel like something might be going on with the crops I haven’t heard about yet. I’ll try the farmers market this weekend because I have really been craving fresh tomatoes and now I must roast some!

68 MelanieF September 6, 2011

That looks amazing! ! ! I will have to make some this weekeng to freeze so that we will have some for the winter months as well. What a terrific idea!

69 Bev Weidner September 6, 2011

This brings me to tears. Happy, sexy, giddy tears.

70 Cait's Plate September 6, 2011

Oh my gosh that first photo of the roasted tomato is INCREDIBLE. I’m not a big tomato soup fan but I think with the addition of the basil pesto I could happily gobble this up with a nice thick slice of whole grain bread :)

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Thanks!

72 Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde September 6, 2011

I’ve been looking for a tomato pesto for ages and i totally do that cutting technique with my herbs, just didn’t know there was a fancy name for it :)

73 Rhona September 6, 2011

You had me at Roasted & Tomatoes. Ok, I officially cannot wait to cook this up. Hm, I’m thinking dinner tomorrow night. Especially fitting for this cold crap weather we are already getting in the GTA (booh!).

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

I know isn’t it the pits??

75 Lauren at Keep It Sweet September 6, 2011

This looks amazing, no wonder you are excited about it! Can you please come over and start cooking my meals?

76 Mai September 6, 2011

Mmm. . think I’m going to have to make this over the weekend weekend!

77 Lindsey September 6, 2011

Yum! So I’m following Esselstyn/Engine 2 diet (no oil). Do you think I could skip the olive oil? Like in the green Pesto you made recently? Maybe in place a splash of soy milk for the liquid and a touch of fat?

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

you could always try and see what it tastes like!

79 Renata October 20, 2011

Did you try it? Was it tasty?

80 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) September 6, 2011

Oh my gosh, this looks incredible!!

81 Caryn September 6, 2011

I might need to finally get a food processor so I can try this. Beautiful pictures.

82 Aine @ Something to Chew Over September 6, 2011

I love pesto so much! This looks sooo good :)

83 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 6, 2011

Yum!! I am definetly trying this! I love a good pesto on pretty much anything ;)

84 Christine (The Raw Project) September 6, 2011

Wow, this looks so yummy. Can’t wait to try it – thanks!

85 Rachel September 6, 2011

Ha…haha….the food buzz advertisement on your page right now is for Eggland’s Best Eggs…..How ironic.

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

I’ve contacted Foodbuzz to see if they can remove any animal-based ads from my website.

87 Rachel September 6, 2011

AMAZING! I hope they do.

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Feel free to let me know if you see more of them. I dont see those ads here.

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Update! :)

Foodbuzz got back to me and said the ad must have slipped through. I’ve requested a couple times not to have any animal product related ads on my site, but they said when a new campaign launches, sometimes it slips through the cracks. Please let me know if you see any more and I’ll shoot them an email. I tend not to see the ads in Canada so Im unaware of it.

90 Rachel September 6, 2011

Will do :-)

91 K September 6, 2011

Love tomatoes and traditional basil pesto! This recipe looks like the perfect combo of both-thanks!
I hate sad looking “winter tomatoes”. Must freeze some of the good ones now!

92 Kristen Waby September 6, 2011

Thank you for the inspiration for Thursday’s lunch!

93 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 6, 2011

Ohh, this looks delicious! I made a sun dried tomato pesto last week that was so summery and good with pasta & veggies. I must try this! Plus, I’m always searching for ways to use nutritional yeast besides in salad dressing. I like that it’s in this!

94 katie@ KatieDid September 6, 2011

I never knew what Chiffonade meant, and now I am confident I could do it myself with your tutorial! Thanks! This pasta looks so incredible, and considering I’m on a huge pesto kick right now (read: eating it straight from the container at nearly every meal) this looks right up my alley.

95 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) September 6, 2011

This looks amazingly good! Can’t wait to try it. I bet my hubbie will love it too :)
I’m not used to seeing Canadian products – with the English AND French on the labels, it’s kinda like here in Belgium; Dutch and French.

96 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) September 6, 2011

By the by, I want to recommend this recipe on my own blog and I would like to ask your permission to show a picture with it. Is that okay?

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Sure np! Just be sure to link to the original post.

98 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) September 6, 2011

Of course ;)
Thanks!

99 Lisa September 6, 2011

Well I roasted the tomatoes for this but then proceeded to eat all the roasted tomatoes. I will try again

100 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove September 6, 2011

We have a TON of tomatoes and basil in the garden (thanks to our landlord!) so we are definitely going to take advantage of this recipe. What a nice way to make pesto sauce more interesting!

101 Mandy @ The Fat Girl's Guide to Life September 6, 2011

I’ve been thinking about trying a pesto recipe. This is the one.

102 Amber K September 6, 2011

Looks amazing! I have had to convince my brain to ignore colors completely when it comes to food. Too many times I make things that look like sludge (chocolate green monster anyone?) that taste sooo good!

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

I agree sometimes recipes look deceiving!

104 jess @ littlegirlbigappetite.com September 6, 2011

Oh my this looks soooOoo good! and an awesome idea. I’m going to have to make this so I’ll have some come the middle of the winter and craving something summery and not have to settle for less than spectacular tomatoes in the winter. Thank you :)

105 Ellie@fitforthesoul September 6, 2011

YAYYYYYYYYY THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Perfect timing, haha! I was just wondering last night what I should do with my remaining large bunch of basil! Isn’t it weird when that happens? You usually just need a little herb for a certain dish, and you’re left with a bunch :P

106 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 6, 2011

I just broke out my brand new food processor yesterday, now I absolutely HAVE to make this!

107 Andrea September 6, 2011

This looks amazing! Mental note to make this :)

I have read elsewhere that when toasting nuts you should toast them at 170 degrees Farenheit or lower so you do not harm the healthy fats that they contain. I was wondering what your take on this is?

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Oh I hadn’t heard that! Thanks for passing it along…I’ll have to look into it, Makes sense to toast at a low temp.

109 Katrina September 6, 2011

This sounds terrific! Great recipe :)

110 Lena September 6, 2011

I love regular basil pesto, I love red pesto; this has to be amazing. I’ll try this one soon! Thanks for the recipe, I think I’m going to be very, very thankful in winter…

111 Kathy September 6, 2011

My dad and grandma decided to plant tomato plants (we didn’t use fertilizer or spray them, but I would not say that they are organic in anyway because the soil…I’m not sure about the soil ^^) and I’m glad they did because now I get fresh tomatoes! I’m soo trying this before all the tomatoes are gone!

112 Nicole @ giraffelegs September 6, 2011

Lately I have been more than obsessed with pesto. I am so glad to have a different variation available.

113 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 6, 2011

I definitely have to give this one a try! :)

114 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 6, 2011

I LOVE roasted tomatoes!! My dad’s garden when I was growing up would overflow with tomatoes for about 2-3 weeks a year. We ate tomatoes at every meal and in every possible way. Including roasted and broiled. Just seeing your roasted tomatoes gives me great memories!

And the pesto looks stunning!

Plus for you to give it a Best Ever title…THAT’S high praise and duly noted! :)

115 Fran {The Flavorful Fork} September 6, 2011

I love pesto! It is one of the most versatile condiments and can be used in so many different ways: mixed into mashed potatoes, as a spread for sandwiches, added to pizza, spread on fish or meat then coated with breadcrumbs and sauteed. The ideas are endless! This version with roasted tomatoes sounds wonderful and a great way to use those fresh garden tomatoes before they are all gone.

116 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

oh yea pesto is great on pizza!!! I need to try that :)

117 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 6, 2011

Oh wow this looks amazing! It would taste awesome on sandwiches too. And on pizza. And by the spoonful. ;)

118 Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 6, 2011

This looks delicious! I can’t wait to try it for my blog – I’ll give full credit, of course. And mouth-watering photos too, wow!

119 Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life September 6, 2011

This looks like a great and easy to make recipe! I’ll definetly be trying out this recipe soon, maybe over the weekend! I’m trying to find a great Sunday football recipe to make for the hubs! I think he would love this as would I!!!

120 Sweet and Savvy September 6, 2011

This recipe is absolutely delicious looking! :) I have actually never tried pesto. I may have to change that with this dish!

121 Kristy H September 6, 2011

OMG! love pesto, I want this for breakfast!

122 Nd September 6, 2011

Just stumbled across your website and really glad I did. This is the best website for vegan recipes that I have seen thus far. Thank you.
Question though, in this recipe, it calls for Roma tomatoes, but the tomatoes in the pictures look more like grape tomato size. And since the recipe only makes 1 cup of pesto, I was confused. Can you clarify?

123 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Yup they are large roma tomatoes…pics are deceiving at times!

124 Maria September 6, 2011

We have a lot of basil in our garden! I know what I am making. Thank you!

125 Melissa September 6, 2011

Angela- Perfect timing! I had a gigantic basket of tomatoes staring at me this afternoon which I had no idea what to do with. Just made the pesto and downed it for dinner….DELICIOUS!

126 Moni'sMeals September 6, 2011

I think I could eat this EVERYDAY! I love roasted tomatoes and basil.

I love your lil demo on the basil. :) I learned that only a few years ago…I also love to just tear it up for a rustic feel. :)

127 worldbysmith September 6, 2011

just ridiculous…i mad.i ate.i was satisfied. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

128 worldbysmith September 6, 2011

oops correct . I MADE…not mad :( pesto hangover…

129 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

hehe

130 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 6, 2011

oh my – how very wonderful!!!!!

131 Angela September 6, 2011

Love this post. It’s like you read my mind! I had been wondering if there was a way of making a tomato pesto that wasn’t too high in fat as pesto & pasta is a treat meal in my house. Can’t wait to try this!

132 Laura September 6, 2011

This looks like a creation one of my foreign italien relatives would make if I wen to visit :)
My next sandwich should include pesto

133 Ashley September 6, 2011

Just loving the simple photos. Beautiful! Great basil cutting tutorial as well. I go in such waves of creating dinners, or breakfasts, desserts, etc. It’s really funny. Some weeks we eat all quick meals, like tortilla pizzas and some weeks it’s more planned out like this. Either way…yum to this meal!

134 sara September 6, 2011

This pasta is oh-so-pretty…what gorgeous photos! Definitely want to make this…yum!! :)

135 Alyne September 6, 2011

does everyone have their own GIANT basil plants?! mine is small and if i ravaged the whole thing wouldn’t have a cup of basil!

im DYING for pesto, but where do people get frash basil that doesn’t cost a thousand dollars? it’s SO EXPENSIVEEE at the grocery store. what should i expect to pay???

136 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

family and neighbours give me their basil! Im hooked up…but yea I agree that it’s expensive at the store.

137 Brittany @ Runwithbritt September 6, 2011

Wow, you always have a way with creating a twist on classic favorites! I cannot wait to try this on the weekend! I think it may win my guy friends over :)

138 Shady September 6, 2011

I bought a basket of field tomatoes today and carried them home from the grocery store thinking, literally, I wish I could find a way to save these for January when the tomatoes come from thousands of miles away and are completely flavorless. And lo and behold! This recipe was in my google reader when I got home. I just ate it served over a tofu scramble for dinner and it was delicious. Thanks!

139 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it! :)

140 Alexis (hummusapien) September 6, 2011

This looks beautiful! Can’t wait to make it!

141 jennie in wonderland September 6, 2011

made it tonight! it was DELICIOUS. i ate it straight out of the food processor for a while (lol) and then over hot kamut spaghetti. ’twas baller.

142 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

heh sounds like me :)

143 kaila @ healthy helper! September 6, 2011

I have been obsessed with pesto lately!! Especially yours!!! This recipe looks incredible!

144 Katie September 6, 2011

O.M.G. this looks fantastic and soo yummy!

145 Deb L. September 6, 2011

That looks amazing ~ can’t wait to make it!! My stomach is already growling…

146 Trisha September 6, 2011

Have you ever canned your pesto and if you have how would you go about doing it??? Have lots of tomatoes and looking for things to do with them.

147 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

I haven’t canned before…but I’m sure there are tutorials online to help you! Good luck :)

148 Sam September 6, 2011

Oh my god this looks so good. I am making a roasted tomato and garlic soup tomorrow. I WISH I had enough tomatoes to make this too!! They are grown in my parents garden…I wonder if I could yank a few more for this deliciousness!

149 Kiah September 6, 2011

That looks absolutely de-vine.

150 B'klynHeart September 6, 2011

That looks gorgeous and heavenly! Thank the interweb stars that lead me to VOO and to your blog… can’t wait to try this!

151 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

lol that made me chuckle ;) Hope you enjoy it!

152 Angela @ Momethis September 6, 2011

I just read your blog, just read your story, just read this recipe, and now I’m hooked. Adding you to my favorites.

153 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

aww thank you!

154 Max@flavortogofast September 6, 2011

looks even better than my new favorite Thai Bangkok Pesto from the farmer’s market!

155 lucy September 7, 2011

Hello lunch! Can’t wait to try this out- thank you, Angela!

156 sharon September 7, 2011

this will definitely be made this sunday! sunday night=pasta at our house

157 jess white September 7, 2011

this looks delicious! roasted tomatoes are so delicious. thank you thank you thank you for something that is so simple yet looks so refined.

158 Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites September 7, 2011

Angela… your vegan pasta sauces NEVER fail to impress me.. or my dairy meat loving boyfriend! We just adorded your avocado ‘cream’ sauce and if this is BETTER than that and tastes as divine as it looks… well we are in for a treat! Cannot wait! Would this make for a good cold pasta dish you think. I have been obsessed with pasta salad lately… cold food in general :)

159 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011

Thank you Sarah, I hope you enjoy this one too!

You wouldn’t know it, but I was never a pasta fan until I started making my own sauces…maybe one day I can make my own pasta too. ;)

160 LizAshlee September 7, 2011

Captivating photos and the pesto just looks beyond words delicious!!

I love tomato basil!!!

161 AGS September 7, 2011

I haven’t made roasted tomatoes in ages — I love roasting them with slivered garlic. They are great as a side dish (hot or cold), and of course in sauces!! You inspired me yesterday, but I had no tomatoes, so instead I made pasta with roasted eggplant and mushroom-garlic tepenade.

162 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011

Roasting the garlic is a great idea!!! I’ll have to try this next time I make it. :)

163 Jessica September 7, 2011

Hi!
I just started following you. I found you through a blog that a friend was reading through a blog post on that persons blog about your green monster.
My three year old is so hard to feed breakfast but he loves smoothies and we have done it with veggies before and he still drinks it. The green monster sounded really good, so we got what we didn’t have at whole foods yesterday, and we just made it this morning. I couldn’t put mine down. It tastes more like a milkshake, and the kiddo loves it too! It’s so creamy. I have to admit I expected it to taste a little more leafy….amazing! I’m 34 weeks pregnant too, so this is a great healthy breakfast for me too!
I will eventually do a post on this on my blog, (and I will link to yours giving you all the credit, if you don’t mind) I don’t want to keep this secret that I’ve found!
Thank you Thank you!
Can’t wait to try the tomato basil pesto next week!!!!

164 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011

Jessica, that’s wonderful to hear! Congrats on your pregnancy too. :)

165 Cindy September 7, 2011

Yum, yum, yum, I want a bowl for lunch.

166 Annie @ On a Back Burner September 7, 2011

Hi, I’ve been reading your blog since stumbling upon the chocolate avocado torte while looking up cake recipes for my roommate’s birthday. WOW does this look good!

167 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011

Thanks Annie :) I hope you enjoy it if you end up making it…it’s one of our favs.

168 Sandi September 7, 2011

Absolute success. This was my husband’s very first all vegan dinner, and he loved it. I had some sliced flank steak from a previous dinner at the ready in case he started shaking, but he turned it down! Perhaps my telling him about your husband’s story (and weight loss) helped in not having meat all the time. I think many times our diets as adults are just what we grew up with and haven’t challenged. Looking forward to new concoctions for dinner, thanks for sharing!

169 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011

I’m smiling reading this!! Thank you for sharing, that’s wonderful news. :)

When I met Eric, he wouldn’t eat any vegetables except perhaps frozen peas or carrots. It’s amazing how tastes can grow and change after repeated exposure! lol

170 Grace September 7, 2011

I recently came across your blog and love it! Fantastic recipes. I made this one ( the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta ) last night and it was FABULOUS!!! Let’s just say, it never made it onto any pasta – as I was eating it off the spoon. I brought some for lunch today – having it with crackers, along side my salad. Truly amazing stuff – delic!! :)

171 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011

hehe sounds like me ;) Glad you loved it!

172 Doris September 7, 2011

You are Godsend! I had tons of tomato from CSA and looking for a way to use up. Made the pesto last night, almost burn down the house (I drizzle too much olive oil => smoke) but still turn out sooo good! Even my picky husband enjoy it! I omit almond & nutritional yeast (picky husband) and add a little bit of leftover hummus to thicken and still come out yummy. Roasting tomato is great idea! Thanks for coming out with great recipe and dummy proof for me!!

173 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2011

I’m glad you enjoyed it (and didn’t burn the house down! lol)

174 Amanda @ AmandaRunsNY September 7, 2011

wow, this looks amazing and now that the weather is cooling down, its actually warm enough to leave the oven on for an hour or so. Delish!

175 Laureen September 7, 2011

Yum,yum,yum I definitely must try this recipe! I’m moving it to the top of my must-make-this list http://wp.me/P1OnhQ-2h. Thanks for sharing.
Laureen

176 Joann@womaninreallife September 7, 2011

This looks great! I love me some pasta, and I have tomatoes to use up! Thanks.

177 Maya@DessertisinaDifferentPocket September 7, 2011

Yum! This looks amazing. I wish my basil plant would grow in this 100 dry Texas weather but I could cave and buy basil for this one.

178 Katherine September 7, 2011

Wow this looks so delicious! I loooove roasted tomatoes, and especially with basil!

I thought you might want to know- when using Google Chrome, I still see your old header.

179 thehealthyapron September 7, 2011

making this tonight! Been salivating ALL day! Literally!

180 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh September 7, 2011

Initially I winced because I’m not a tomato on their own fan but then seeing I could process the heck out of it with other flavors kinda gave me a culinary tingle! :-)

181 LG September 7, 2011

Just wanted to let you know that I made the oil-free zucchini bread with strusel the other day…it ROCKS. I told my husband he might not like it but I can see by the empty container on the counter that it wasn’t the case. He said he loved it, and so do I, especially with the healthy “stats”! Thanks very much!

182 val September 7, 2011

Mmm, mmm can’t wait to try the pesto recipe. Thank you Angela–I received Peas & Thank You, can’t wait to try the black bean burgers.

183 Stephanie September 7, 2011

This recipe reminds me of Giada De Laurentis’ recipe for a pasta sauce using roasted eggplant and tomato. It is simply delicious! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/rigatoni-with-eggplant-puree-recipe/index.html

184 Amanda September 7, 2011

Making this one tomorrow! I’m so excited! :-)

185 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty September 7, 2011

Oh wow!! You are one smart cookie.

This LOOKS so beautiful!!

186 Kristina September 7, 2011

I wanted to make this but didn’t have any of the ingredients except a huge basket of tomatoes…but I NEEDED to try something similar so I totally improvised and made a creamy roasted tomato bacon sauce. Ok not vegan at all, but delish. Instead of cream I made a roux and added it to sauteed garlic, roasted tomatoes, and chopped bacon. Sprinkled in some lemon zest, a splash of red wine, some baby spinach, and some reserved startchy pasta water. May sound random but believe me it was amazing. And it could easily be veganized with Almond Milk, Earth Balance in the roux, and omit the bacon (duh).
Thanks for the idea!!

187 michelle September 7, 2011

Yum! all my favourite ingredients in one dish

188 Annie@stronghealthyfit September 7, 2011

Oh my my.

189 tami September 7, 2011

OMG!!!! Just got finished making this. I could not stop licking the bowl!!! I have never roasted tomatoes before. What an amazing flavor!!!! Thank you sooo much. XOXO

190 Nicole September 8, 2011

I am putting this on my to make list for tomorrow! Looks fabulous! Thank you for sharing!

191 Carina@veggiegourmetkitchen September 8, 2011

Hello Angela,

I stummbled across your blog and can’t stop reading it. Your story is very touching and I love your sense of humor. The photos of your dishes are mouth-watering. I will try this pesto very soon!!

192 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2011

Aww thank you Carina!

193 Andrea September 8, 2011

This pesto was AMAZING!!!!! I was licking the food processor bowl! Is that bad? :). Love your blog!

194 Jessica September 13, 2011

I also licked the bowl. But I couldn’t stop there so I also licked the blade. Cooking is a risk, I tell you…

195 Hong September 8, 2011

I’ve made two recipes from your site so far–this one and the 15-minute avocado pasta. This recipe is just ridiculously amazing. My market had organic San Marzano tomatoes and it just made this pesto the absolute best I’ve ever had. Really Angela, it’s amazing. (I’m going to make the weekend glow kale salad for my family this weekend!)

196 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011

So happy you love it so much!!

197 Janelle September 8, 2011

This is really terrific. Just FYI, although it is not vegan, I substituted Parm Reg cheese in place of the almonds (for my mother, who has a severe nut allergy). It is hard to find good pesto recipes for her to enjoy, but this is sensational, she’s going to love it! I’m currently making another batch with the toasted almonds as your original recipe calls for, I’ll be curious to see how they compare. Thanks!

198 Janelle September 8, 2011

Okay, I’ll admit it, yours is actually better. But the nut-free version with parm-reg is good too! ;)

199 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

haha that’s funny, thanks for sharing your trials!! A nut free option is always great.

200 jordanarae September 8, 2011

I just made this tonight and to say it was fantastic isn’t praising it enough. I added a few yellow romas as I really enjoy their taste and it was so good I’ll be making up another batch tomorrow.

Having pesto that isn’t 50% oil is such a treat!

201 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Thank you for your feedback! Glad you enjoyed it :) I’m making more this weekend…

202 Angelique September 9, 2011

Hi Angela! Would this taste good as a cold pasta salad dish too?

203 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

I can’t see why not…I could eat it hot, cold, upside down, leaning out a car window…lol

204 Lizzie September 9, 2011

I’m going to try this recipt tonight to use up many of my tomatoes! Can’t wait!
P.S. You are an inspiration to us here at the U of G!!

205 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011

Aww thanks Lizzie!! Go Guelph! wheeee

206 Megan September 9, 2011

I made this the other night and it was – as promised – AMAZING! Honestly, there’s some left-over sauce in our fridge and it’s a small miracle that neither hubs nor myself have devoured it with a spoon in the middle of the night. And we’re already fans of your avocado pasta – love your recipes!

207 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2011

Glad you liked it!

208 Natalie @fitjamericangirl.com September 9, 2011

OMG Angela this is awesome! Soo good! The only thing I changed was roasting the garlic with the tomatoes. Thank you for this recipe, it’s perfection.

209 Gina September 10, 2011

I am trying to go as green as possible in my diet and came across your site and I just have to say I love it! Thanks for sharing!! All your recipes look amazing and I just can’t wait to try it.

210 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf September 10, 2011

Holy heck! That looks intoxicating! I need a bowl of that with some wine. Perfect dinner. :)

211 Tara September 11, 2011

Hi Angela!
I am planning on making this for supper tonight (and taking leftovers to school tomorrow). Just something to clear up before I get started: You cooked 9 roma tomatoes and said to add 1.5 cups into the food processor to make the sauce along with the rest of the ingredients..it just seems that 9 tomatoes would produce more than 1.5 cups, so I’m just wondering if you saved them and made a separate batch with additional basil, olive oil, garlic, etc. If you could let me know when you get a chance, that would be great! :)
Thanks so much!

212 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Hey Tara!
Sorry for the delay in reply. I used 1.5 cups of tomatoes for the pesto and for the leftovers, I chopped them up and mixed them into the pasta :)

213 Tara September 11, 2011

Wow sorry- I was reading the directions with the pictures earlier, and just re-read the directions before that where everything is clearly explained… Thanks! :D

214 Sheelah September 12, 2011

Hi I was just wondering if you think you could freeze the roasted tomatoes and then go back and make this pesto later. There are so many fresh tomatoes right now! And the pesto is incredible by the way!

215 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

Gosh I’m not sure! I have never thought to freeze tomatoes before. Anyone know?

216 Bethany September 12, 2011

Angela I can’t believe how awesome this pesto is!!! I am not normally a huge pesto fan, but the roasted tomatoes made it unbelievable. I never knew vegan food could be so delicious. I made this, your roasted red pepper hummus, and long weekend grilled salad over the weekend and I am in food heaven. So is my husband. :)

217 Laury @thefitnessdish September 12, 2011

I made this over the weekend. Incredible. You are incredible. I did it over zucchini pasta because I knew that I would eat like a pound of regular pasta with it LOL. SO good. Thank you for this recipe!!!

218 Melanie September 12, 2011

Made this tonight!! Hubby and son loved it and my son said it was the best vegan thing I’ve ever made!! He had 3 bowls full. Hubby raved as well. I used 3 roma’s from my garden and the rest were huge grape tomatoes from our garden. Hubby also got some fresh basil from a plant they have at work (gotta love guys who plant basil at work)! I also had a little less than 1/2 cup almonds so I used some almond butter to make up the difference.

Yummy!! Thanks for an awesome recipe. I wanted to eat the whole tray of tomatoes!!

219 Ana Maria September 13, 2011

Hey Angela! I made this for my family last night and they went bonkers! (I also went bonkers) It was so delicious! Thanks!

I did wind up roasting the garlic as well since I’m allergic to raw garlic but everything else stayed the same :)

220 Jane-ifer September 13, 2011

Thanks for this recipe, Angela. I made this over the weekend and it was very nice with my pasta. But you know what was even better? I used the leftover pesto as the spread on my gluten-free vegan pizza last night, and that was delicious! Better even than its marinara counterpart.

221 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2011

MMM great idea!

222 Heather September 13, 2011

The day before you posted this recipe I had just froze 7 cups of fresh basil from my backyard. Since then, I have been been giving my basil and tomato plants the evil eye so I would have enough home grown goodness for this. Finally got to harvest today, yay! Thanks for the inspiration, my less than healthy male counterpart doesn’t care too much for straight basil, or the copious amounts of pesto I have been making. It’s in the oven now. I can’t wait to eat a tomato and burn my mouth off. I don’t even have to wait, every recipe I have ever made of your has been to die for.

Thanks again, love your blog, and love not having to think about what I am making in the kitchen sometimes.

223 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 14, 2011

Thank you Heather :) I hope you enjoyed it!

224 Michelle September 15, 2011

I love love love this recipe thank you Angela! I recently experimented with it and have come up with one that blew my mind and is even healthier!

I do the pesto the exact same way, no changes there however along with roasting the tomatoes I also do eggplant, zucchini, onions, and a pepper (red, yellow or orange). Sometimes I add garlic as well. Once the veggies are roasted and quite soft I mix them with the pesto. If you want it to be more sauce like you can put it all together in a pan on low stirring occasionally. I then add some olives (totally optional but I like the salty flavour they add, kalamata works best) then I spoon the sauce over whole wheat pasta and garnish with some basil on top. It is seriously amazing! I always make extra and put it on whole wheat toast for an awesome lunch.

225 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 16, 2011

love your modifications! Sounds amazing :)

226 Christine September 16, 2011

Oh my. This is FANTASTIC! Thanks *very* much for sharing this recipe! :-)

227 Caryn September 17, 2011

I just bought my first food processor – inspired by this recipe. Definintely worth it -thank you!

228 Rebecca C September 17, 2011

I just made this and it was amazing! I served it over spaghetti squash. I look forward to trying more of your recipes.

229 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 18, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it!

230 Sharika September 18, 2011

Wow! I just made this recipe and my taste buds are dancing in my mouth! This is jam packed with flavor. I can’t wait to eat it with some pasta for my meal later! Thank you! :)

231 Willie Costello September 19, 2011

Today my blog was dedicated to the singing this recipe’s praises, and it deserves every accolade:

Seriously. I have made this pesto now three times SINCE FRIDAY.

232 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

HOLLA!

233 Kelsey September 20, 2011

I have never made my own pesto. My co-worker would bring it in ALL the time and say how easy it was. And I absolutely love roasted tomatoes! I have never been a big tomato person but I roasted tomatoes for the first time this summer and they are amazing.

234 Liz September 20, 2011

Made this yesterday and used it as the sauce for vegan pizza. It was a BIG hit! You can be sure this will become a regular on our pizza crusts and pastas!

235 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

great idea! I will have to try that. :)

236 Gabriels aka The Picky Foodie September 20, 2011

Been looking for a new one to have on my kelp noodles. looks like a must!

237 Sarah @ Sharing Bananas September 21, 2011

I made this for my carnivore husband last night and slipped in some vegan meatballs…without telling him they were vegan. He loved it!

Still haven’t told him….

238 Melanie September 22, 2011

We had this for the second time Tuesday night. We already have plans on having it again next week if we can get some more tomatoes and basil out of the plants next week (I don’t think my tomatoes have ever gone this long before).

Thanks again!! LOVE THIS!

239 Carol Johnson September 22, 2011

seriously yummy. Likely the best pesto ever. I don’t love raw garlic, so I roasted mine on the cookie sheet with the tomatoes for the last few minutes.

240 Andrea September 23, 2011

I don’t currently have any nutritional yeast, what difference do you think it would make to the pesto if I left it out?

241 Andrea September 25, 2011

Well, I answered my own question :) I made this pesto tonight and plan on making at least one more batch this week to freeze for the winter :) It turned out awesome and I think I’m going to make some pasta to use it with for dinner tomorrow, thanks!

242 Jana September 23, 2011

Thank you so much for sharing that recipe. I made it last weekend for some friends with the vague hope that there would be some leftovers for sunday. It was completely gone within 20 minutes :-).

243 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2011

Glad it was enjoyed!

244 Kelly September 23, 2011

I love this recipe! I made it for the second time last night, this time over spaghetti squash. Definitely a win; the tomato and garlic really complimented the nutty squash flavor. :) Thanks!

245 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 24, 2011

oh great idea :)

246 Jill @ A Cook's Nook October 20, 2011

Just saw this post go up on FB and wanted to thank you for the reminder. This looks delicious & I have all the ingredients to make it tonight! I’m a little too excited about this :)

247 Renata October 20, 2011

Hi Angela – have you ever tried this recipe without the oil? I’m wondering because I’ve been following the Forks over Knives suggestions about not using oil…which makes it super hard! Anyhow, this looks so incredibly delicious, I’m just curious if you think it would be ruined if I omitted oil? Thanks!

248 Jane Plass October 20, 2011

My sister and I made this after picking armloads of basil at her CSA’s farm end-of-season PestoFest in September. Delicious, but even better after we added a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar!

249 Steph @ A Life without Ice Cream October 21, 2011

OMG that sauce looks heavenly!

250 Lina May 5, 2012

Looks great! How big is your food processor? I’m just wondering, I have a small 3 cup food processor… and for anything larger I use my vitamix (but sometimes the vitamix has too much power).

251 Jessie @ amomgetsfit May 31, 2012

I just found this recipe and it looks DELICIOUS!!!!!
I can’t wait to make it.

If I want to feed 3 adults and two (small) kids – how much should I make of this???

252 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2012

It makes 1 cup of pesto so I guess it really depends on how much pesto you want on each serving. If you used 1/4 cup pesto per dish, essentially you could get away with 3 servings + 2 small? Or maybe just double the recipe anyways because the leftovers are amazing on sandwiches and whatnot.

253 Sara June 18, 2012

What can I sub for the nuts? I would love to make this but am allergic!

254 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012

Im not sure, do you think sunflower seeds would work?

255 Darlene June 19, 2012

This was soooo good, loved it.

256 Kristine August 8, 2012

I made an awesome pasta salad with your delicious roasted tomato pesto! I added diced zucchini, red onion, black olives, and capers. So good! Thanks for another great recipe. :)

257 Maddy August 15, 2012

I’m about to make this! If I were to do this with cherry tomatoes, how many cups would I use?

258 Anna September 2, 2012

I had an overflow of Roma tomatoes and basil from my garden and decided to make a double batch of this. I am SO glad I did, it is delicious!

259 Jeuline September 5, 2012

Oh My, this sounds and looks delicious… And I love the name of your website! :))) Shine On!!!

260 kendra September 5, 2012

WOW! WOW! WOW! I just made this and put it over raw zucchini and yellow zucchini pasta. I’m in love. Lol.

261 Maura September 6, 2012

Ange – Fantastic! Made this for the kids tonight and I was blown away! What an incredible flavor combo!!!! You’re the best!!

262 Carolyn September 8, 2012

I second dhauberger’s scentiment!

263 Heidi c September 8, 2012

JusT an FYI. I am making this right now & threw in some more beefsteak type heirloom black tomatoes in addition to Romas because I have a bunch as well. They roasted down to practically nothing so probably best to stick with romas.

264 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2012

Aw good to know, thanks for the tip! Sorry that happened to you.

265 haley September 9, 2012

I made this for dinner tonight with a non-vegan – we both LOVED it, sooo good and sooooooooooo easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!

266 sonya September 10, 2012

Can’t wait to serve this tonight…just put the tomatoes in the oven to roast.

I do have a question, I have not used nutritional yeast before. I did purchase some in bulk to try. Do you know by chance the salt content?
Thanks for sharing this recipe!

267 Emily September 12, 2012

How many tomatoes do you think you,d use if you have big beefsteak tomatoes? It’s hard to tell how many tomatoes are equivalent to 9 Roma’s, but it looks like 1.5 cups total?

268 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2012

Hey Emily!
I’m sorry I didn’t measure the amount of cups prior to roasting (should have or weighed them). Anyway, the tomatoes do shrink down when roasting, so I would err on the side of roasting too many rather than too few – the leftover are AMAZING thrown into pasta, salads, etc. Goodluck!

269 Christine September 16, 2012

This recipe is amazing! I love that it used up so many of the Roma’s sitting on my kitchen window sill.

270 Sarah Bester October 3, 2012

Just thought I would comment since I just made this for dinner tonight as I had a whole bunch of heirloom tomatoes to use up from my CSA box. I’m eating it right now and it’s delicious! I threw in some hot pepper flakes to spice it up a notch. Thanks for the simple, yet tasty recipe.

271 JazzyJ4545 October 4, 2012

Made this and it was absolutely fantastic. Took your hint and made extra to freeze. Love your site.

272 Nd October 11, 2012

I made this again last night as part of an unprocessed dinner. I think it is delicious. One question I have is have you ever made your own vegan pasta? If so do you have a good recipe you could share?

273 Goldie October 18, 2012

WOW!!! I made this dish last night — soooo freakin good I couldn’t believe it. I’ve never made pesto or roasted tomatoes or almonds before, and boy oh boy my mouth is in love. Can’t wait to make it again! Thank you so much for this delicious recipe :)

274 Bou Shin @ Shin's Vegan Lovin' November 9, 2012

This looks fantastic! I was wondering if it would be okay if I used one of your photos for this recipe and linked to your blog through my own. I’m doing an event for my upcoming, golden, 18th birthday and I am having a huge event called “Shinmas” where I am advertising other people’s blogs and we have a whole setup of themes each day and it becomes really fun. I am also going to hold a few giveaways so that those who don’t have blogs or artwork to share can also join in.

Bou Shin

275 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 9, 2012

Thanks for asking. That is not a problem – please email me the link when it’s up! angela [at] ohsheglows [dot] com

276 Allyne November 9, 2012

This is absolutely delicious! I have tonnes of tomatoes from my garden that are ripening rapidly, this is the perfect recipe for them. I’m going to make more batches to freeze. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

277 Phyllis Fisher November 14, 2012

Thank you so much. My husband & I are relatively new vegans (less than 2 years-doctor recommended-improved our health as seniors significantly) and still trying new recipes. I served this on thin spaghetti with a side of roasted pineapple and kiwis which were on sale this week. Added an appetizer of fresh sweet peppers with hummus for extra protein. Am enjoying one of your cookies as I write. Your page is bookmarked for regular checks–also sending it to my vegan-struggling kids.

278 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2012

Thank you Phyllis! Congrats on goign vegan. Im so thrilled to hear you are enjoying the recipes. All the best to you.

279 Caroline December 12, 2012

I made this for a dinner party last night, and everyone loved it! Thanks for the recipe!

280 Allison December 20, 2012

Angela! This looks delicious, as always! But how much How pasta would you guess for for each cup of pesto?

281 HautePinkPretty January 8, 2013

This was delicious!!!!! I made it today for my husband and I during lunch and it was a huge hit! He agreed that it’s better than the creamy avocado pasta (which was shocking to hear since that’s been a long time fave of ours, too)! We’re not vegan, but he’s lactose intolerant so we always enjoy using your recipes :) I just added in some grilled chicken since he can’t deal without any meat but honestly, the pasta was so good on it’s own ;) Thank you for another staple meal! Xx

282 Sara January 14, 2013

This is my absolute favorite recipe on your site! I love making this and especially eating it! I had never roasted tomatoes until this recipe and let me tell you, I love them. Soo tasty! This also makes the perfect next day lunch. Thanks for your always awesome recipes!

283 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2013

Im so glad to hear that Sara!

284 Michelle January 21, 2013

I just went vegan a week ago and made this tonight. Since it’s not tomato season here in Reno, I used the canned fire roasted tomatoes, very well drained.

OMGosh! Sooooooooo delicious.

My vegan friend is coming over for dinner and she will LOVE it too.

285 Robin February 1, 2013

I made this tonight and it was one of the most delicious pesto’s thank you! I used gluten free spiral noodles, and I used walnuts because that is what I had and I added garbanzo beans. It was fantastic, one of my husband’s favorite pesto’s.

286 Eliana February 10, 2013

I made this recipe last night for some friends and it was a hit! Absolutely delicious :)

I totally recommend it

287 Julie February 10, 2013

Just made this pesto with some grape tomatoes I had on hand along with your eggplant parmesan. I threw in some fresh herbs for the eggplant coating as you suggested. I roasted some spaghetti squash and now am totally blissing out over lunch. Wow, this is good!

288 LaReine February 12, 2013

I made this last night along with the roasted tomato soup AMAZING!!!
I pretty much make a few of your recipes every single night and they are all mind blowing… I’ve been vegan for a month now and you’ve made it so easy I can’t imagine eating any other way now… Just want to say THANK YOU :)

289 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 13, 2013

Thank you for leaving such a lovely comment! I appreciate it

290 Shelley March 28, 2013

First of all..THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your amazing recipes…you have truly become a lifesaver in our household. I am vegan, my husband is mostly vegan, and my two daughters are not, but trying to eat healthier. I have recently discovered that I am also intolerant to wheat/gluten and soy…that felt so overwhelming to me until I found your website and your recipes. Last night I whipped up a bunch of them that have inspired the whole family…words are not good enough here to tell you how much I appreciate the simplicity and beauty in all of the dishes we’ve tried so far. We are all looking forward to trying more and more and more!

Made this for dinner tonight and it was to die for!!! Next time we make it I will saute some mushrooms and onion to toss in too…and more tomatoes I think…they were so good you wanted one in every bite :)…

291 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 29, 2013

Thank you Shelley, I’m so glad to hear this!

292 Heather April 7, 2013

Cannot wait to try this. I sent my husband a text with all the ingredients to pick up from work along with a picture to get him on board. He agreed it looked fantastic and bought the stuff. :D SO happy I found your page! I keep looking for vegan and vegetarian recipes and they all have tofu or loads of soy, which I cannot have. So I LOVE that you have everything divided by allergies. Thank you for making recipes easy for someone like me. :)

293 Megan Kates May 7, 2013

Angela…we made this last night..UNREAL! This will be a regular in our rotation. Thanks for being such an inspiration for the vegan lifestyle! Yummy!

294 Fofita May 29, 2013

Hello! I’ve been reading your blog for some time, and I finally tried one of your recipes… Well, this pesto is just awesome! Even my husband who thinks there should be meat at each meal loved it! :) Thanks!

295 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2013

So happy to hear that Fofita! :)

296 Ashley June 3, 2013

I just made this for dinner and the recipe came out perfectly! The pesto is amazing. Thank you for the post. :-)

297 Priya August 8, 2013

Hi Angela,

I made this sauce a few weeks ago and it has become my family’s most favorite one. So delicious. Thank you so much for this mouth watering recipe. I have a question though, can we store it the fridge (not freeze it) and use it over 3-5 days? If so, do we heat it or just bring it to room temperature before pouring it on pasta? Also if we freeze does it need to be heated up or is it enough to bring it to room temp?

Thank you once again.

Priya.

298 Shannon August 18, 2013

My goodness! Just made this for my family and it was a huge hit. Best yet, I forgot to add the oil and everyone still thought it was amazing. My 9 month old also thought it was amazing. This is seriously one of my favorites and will use time and time again. This will now be my go to dish. Thank you!!!!

299 Kara September 2, 2013

Just made this with two kinds of cherry tomatoes and one plum tomato from our garden. I also had walnuts on hand rather than almonds. Ridiculously good!!! Thank you!! :)

300 ula September 10, 2013

I have just made it. It’s sooo good! I ended up using only 5 tomatoes and used cashews instead of almonds since that’s what I had in my pantry. Thanks for the recipe, it’s really good!

301 David October 9, 2013

Made this tonight and it was delicious. Thanks!

302 Graciela October 17, 2013

I tried this last night and it was AMAZING! Thank you for such a wonderful recipe! We had it on top of Ronzoni Garden Delight Spagetti!

303 Katie October 22, 2013

I came for your roasted tomato soup (with coconut milk) and stayed for this pesto. Took your advice and roasted extra tomatoes when I made the soup. I finally thawed them and made the pesto today. Omg what took me so long? That was so so good. We were licking the bowl. I know you have a ton of comments and this is an “old” recipe, but I felt compelled to tell you how delicious it was. Thanks for sharing! Love your work!

304 Hannah December 2, 2013

Do you peel and core the tomatoes before you put them in the processor?

305 Regina December 30, 2013

I can’t eat almonds and was debating on trying walnuts or cashews instead. What exactly do the almonds add? texture and flavor?? What do you think?

306 Madelynne January 20, 2014

I write this as I devour a bowl :D
It’s delicious. Perfect balance of sweet and acidity from the roasted tomatoes.
I will absolutely be making it again!!!

307 edie January 21, 2014

This is fantastic! I made the pesto this morning, and now can’t wait for dinner!

308 Nerida March 14, 2014

DELICIOUS!!!! Amazing this will be a staple in our house from now on x

309 Sarah R March 19, 2014

Wow! This WAS the BEST pesto I have ever tasted! I just wanted to eat the pesto and not add the pasta! I will definitely make this again…and I never knew roasted tomatoes were so heavenly…

310 Ann March 31, 2014

This recipe is to die for. I didn’t have quite as many tomatoes but it still turned out delicious! The smell of roasting tomatoes and toasted almonds is inspiring. Thanks!

311 meaghan May 6, 2014

this is one of my FAVORITE dishes. i made it abolut a year ago when Michelle Zink posted it on her blog…fabulous! i’ve tweaked it a bit so there’s the perfect amount of nutritional yeast, for me…i’m not vegan, or even vegetarian, but this dish is de-LISH regardless.

now that it’s EXCEPTIONALLY hot, i like to eat it room temp or even cold…makes a really good, flavourful chilled summer pasta…

312 Cami June 24, 2014

This was incredibly delicious! Thanks for a great recipe. :)

313 Hannah July 5, 2014

I made this for my (non-vegan) family tonight, and it was a huge hit! Thank you so much for all of the fantastic recipes that have helped me show the meat enthusiasts in my house that vegan cooking is delicious!

314 Gabrielle August 3, 2014

My new favourite pesto recipe! We gobble it all up every time. Thanks!

315 Sarah August 30, 2014

Hi Angela!

Absolutely LOVE your recipes! I have a ridiculous amount of grape tomatoes on hand….think I could still use them for this recipe? Any idea roughly how many I should roast and what the roasting temperature and duration should be since they’re so tiny?

Thanks!
Sarah

316 laura September 4, 2014

made this tonight, delicious!!!

317 Lisa September 5, 2014

Oh my goodness I have never appreciated the full joy of roasted tomatoes right out of the oven! This is a great dish, and was a winner with the whole family which is rare! I actually made the pesto without the almonds due to my son’s nut allergy so I was worried, but it turned out so yummy and flavorful anyway. I am making it for the second time tonight, with extra tomatoes on the pan in the oven so I can stuff my face with them!

318 Steph F September 8, 2014

What would be a good seed alternative to the almonds? I’m allergic to nuts. Thanks!

319 Wendy September 9, 2014

I made this tonight! Delicious! I am definitely going to make again! Thanks

320 Connie October 8, 2014

what does the yeast help in the recipe

321 Joyce October 9, 2014

I made this two night ago for dinner and STILL cannot get over how AWSOME it was. I’ve never eaten pesto in my life but it is now a staple. Thank you!

322 Diane December 28, 2014

First, THANK YOU for sharing your delicious recipes on your amazing web site – I’m addicted to just about everything I see here and know so many people who are as well.

LOVE the Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto and used it over Christmas as the sauce in a lasagna, with the Basil Cashew Cheeze and plenty of oven roasted veg and breaded eggplant as the “noodles”. This was devoured by everyone, including the skeptics, and will be made many more times in the future.

Thanks again, and best wishes for the new year.

323 natzy February 3, 2015

Hello Ang! Hey I got a question, can I replace almonds for peanut?

324 Melissa May 16, 2015

I love this recipe! I’ve easily made it a dozen times in 3 months. I can’t wait to see how it tastes with summer tomatoes!

325 Amy June 10, 2015

THIS WAS DELICIOUS! We are having a heat wave here, so cooking has not been high on my activities list. I roasted the tomatoes yesterday morning, so things wouldn’t get too hot in the house. I ended up being out for dinner that evening, so I put the tomatoes in the fridge. When I got home from work today, I threw everything in the food processor and, voila! DEEEEEELISH! It was super easy and quick. I used walnuts, because I’m allergic to almonds. My husband (who is NOT super enjoying my current vegetarian/vegan kick) couldn’t get enough of it.
Thank you for your beautiful recipes, Angela!

326 Anna April 29, 2016

Made this twice now as written. Absolutely LOVE this recipe and it has become my go-to pasta sauce.

327 Angela Liddon May 3, 2016

I’m so happy to hear the recipe’s a hit, Anna!