Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

IMG 1422 2 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

We haven’t been this excited about a dinner recipe in a long time.

IMG 1463 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

Probably not since the 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta, which Eric said – in between shoveling this pasta in his mouth – is “not as good as this roasted tomato pesto recipe”.

I didn’t believe it, but after tasting and then devouring my own bowl of pesto (ok, there was some pasta in there too), I may have to agree with him. This is by far, the best pesto I’ve made or perhaps ever tasted.

IMG 1424 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

Don’t be put off by the colour, I promise it tastes much better than it looks. ;)

We enjoyed it so much, I made two batches over the long weekend and froze some for a later date. In January, there will be no tears over tasteless tomatoes as long as I have this pesto waiting for us!

IMG 1466 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

If I can wait that long to eat it, that is.

Outlook not good.

IMG 1465 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

IMG 1415 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

I decided to roast the tomatoes first to give the pesto a really deep flavour. So glad I did!!

First, I drizzled them with olive oil and sprinkled them with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

IMG 1419 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

Into the pre-heated oven they went at 400F for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. The longer they roast, the more delicious they become. The bottoms will be blackened slightly, but not to worry as it only enhances the flavour.

IMG 1422 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

After cooling slightly, I ate one straight off the pan. And I almost burned my mouth off, but it was so worth it. I’m surprised that the rest of them made it into the processor!

IMG 1431 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

While the processor blade is spinning, add two garlic cloves. Let it whirl around until the garlic is chopped. Next, add 1 cup of tightly packed basil and process. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spoon. With the processor on, add in 1/4 cup oil, 1.5 cups of roasted tomatoes, nutritional yeast (optional), and salt and pepper to taste. Pulse in the toasted almonds.

I’m loving this olive oil right now:

IMG 1121 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

IMG 1423 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

This pesto is so delicious it’s unreal.

This was my first batch and I used 1 cup of roasted tomatoes, but I suggest using 1.5 cups of roasted tomatoes as I did in my second batch. You get more bang for your buck!

IMG 1424 thumb1   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

If you want to be a fancy pants, you can Chiffonade the basil for garnishing on top of the pasta. “Chiffon” is French for “rag” which is what the basil will look like when you’re finished.

IMG 1435 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

How to Chiffonade basil:

1. Grab a few basil leaves (you can use spinach or any leafy vegetable for future reference)

IMG 1437 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

2. Stack them on top of one another like so.

IMG 1440 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

3. Now roll it up all the way.

IMG 1445 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

4. Grab a sharp knife and slice tiny 1mm cuts through the rolled up basil.

IMG 1451 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

Do not slice finger off as it looks like I’m about to do in the above photo. That would not be good.

Repeat until you’ve sliced through all of it. The basil, not your finger.

IMG 1452 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

5. With your (in tact) fingers, gently separate the basil into its ‘rag-like’ pieces and sprinkle over top of your dish.

IMG 1455 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

And if you handle them as long as I did to get these photos, they will really look like rags!

You are now a fancy pants.

IMG 1456 thumb   Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto

It is your mission to go on and enjoy those deliciously sweet tomatoes that are waiting for you.

Just don’t forget to freeze some for the Winter!

Natalie September 6, 2011

Looks delicious!

Natalie September 6, 2011

YAY I was the first commenter!

dhauberger July 1, 2012

I am always searching the web for ideas when I cook. This is, hands down, the tastiest recipe I have found thus far. I consider myself quite the foodie and have never commented on a recipe I have found, used and loved. Kudos to you ma’am job well cooked ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2012

Thank you for your comment, Im so happy you love it!

Holly @ The Runny Egg September 6, 2011

What a beautiful bowl of food — I love the taste of roasted tomatoes!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 6, 2011

I’m a HUGE pesto lover, so this looks promising– to say the least

Beach Bum Beauty September 6, 2011

Oh Angela, you’ve done it again. Made me feel hungry when I’ve only just eaten. I wish I could put my hand through the computer and grab a bowl of this DELISH!

Noelle September 6, 2011

Looks like a great fall dish!

jennie in wonderland September 6, 2011

Oh good golly, that looks riiiiiidiculously good. Must make tonight.

I wonder if the pasta would be good with some sliced buttery avocado on top? What do you think, Angela? I’m not sure how the two tastes would mesh.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

I can’t see why not!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} September 6, 2011

Oh, I hope I get more tomatoes in my CSA box this week. This pesto looks fabulous!

Halley (Blunder Construction) September 6, 2011

Mmm, sounds like another killer recipe! Good idea to make ahead with fresh tomatoes while they are still tasty!

Chloe (In Fine Feather) September 6, 2011

Oh yum! I definitely want to make this – do you think I could do it in a blender?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Hmm good question. I’m not sure…I guess it depends on your blender! I would like to think it would work.

Ally September 6, 2011

Yum! Do you leave the skins on the tomatoes or do you remove them?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

leave them on :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) September 6, 2011

i have so many tomatoes that i need to use still.. i’ve made sauce and did pesto yesterday without tomatoes, so this version looks delicious!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 6, 2011

Looks so good! I love the melt-y roasted tomatoes. :)

Have you ever made beet pesto? I made a beet-sunflower seed the other day is at was pretty tasty. :)

amy @lovetotrain September 6, 2011

YUM this looks delicious! I make a similar sauce but with raw tomatos- definitely gonna give it a go with roasting them!

Jessica September 6, 2011

I just found my dinner recipe for tonight! That looks so yummy! “You are now a fancy pants.” haha! Love it.

Kate September 6, 2011

I lovee roasted tomatoes I need to make this pesto asap!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious September 6, 2011

Oh Ang — this looks amazing! I have been eating bushels of tomatoes since they started coming into season and I will definitely be making this — I’m thinking tonight maybe?! I love freezing fresh tomatoes, fresh corn and fresh berries to use over the winter months!

Melissa September 6, 2011

*Drool* Must make tonight!

Christina @ The Athletarian September 6, 2011

Wow, Angela! This looks so amazing. My family just made boatloads of pesto to freeze for the season but the tomatoes take it to a completely different level! I am definitely going to have to try this one! Your photos look so warm and comforting. What a perfect meal for the weather we are having :)

thehealthyapron September 6, 2011

we just got a BOAT LOAD Of tomatoes from my grandpa yesterday! Now all I need to get is seom fresh basil and I’ WILL be making this! Thanks for ther ecipe! LOVE IT!

Silverfaerie September 6, 2011

This sounds delicious! I absolutely <3 pesto and have always wanted to make my own. Can't wait to try it. Mind if I link up to a your post on my blog?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Nope go ahead. Enjoy!

Magda September 6, 2011

Looks fantastic :) A pesto fanatic here :) Although recently I’ve been crazy about using roasted veggies hummus as my pasta sauce/cream :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

mmm that sounds right up my alley!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 6, 2011

Oh my, this is gorgeous!! Sadly my basil plant has come to the end of its life… I haven’t watered it more or less or anything, but it just seems to have called it quits! So as soon as I get to the grocery store to buy some new basil, this will be coming out of my kitchen! :)

Lizzie September 6, 2011

How weird – I had taken a photo of a roasted tomato sauce recipe at the gym the other day (it was in a mag I was reading) and ended up with a bunch of tomatoes to make it. But now I am thinking of making this instead!

Rather obvious question – can you use something other than Roma tomatoes? I have a mix in my fridge at the moment.

Angela, you would seriously cry with happiness if you saw one of the stands at our local farmers market. They seriously have about 16 different varieties of tomatoes (last night we had Thai Pink Egg toms in our salad) and it’s like some kind of tomato festival!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

Wow that sounds beautiful! I’d be all over that.
I’d imagine you can use most types of sweet tomatoes :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 6, 2011

Oh wow, it looks delicious! I love the first image of the roasted tomato. Man, you’re so talented with that darn camera! Do you still shoot with your 50mm? Or have you moved on?
Also, have to tell you – last night I was taking a picture of my salad and the lighting was bad so I tried the ‘quick run over to the side with the reflector sheet trick’… and dropped the sheet IN my salad :( humpf.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

haha that’s happened to me before. I actually have a couple stains on my reflector sheet. Gross eh?

Yup still using the 50mm, although last night I had a dream that I bought a $2000 lens! lol

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit September 6, 2011

I’m so happy it’s not just me! Not gross at all. Give it a couple of months and I’m sure mine will be in the same condition.
I just started shooting with a 17-85mm along with my 50mm. Although it’s nice to get some range, I keep going back to my 50mm. It’s just such a darn good lens!
Could you imagine getting a $2k lens? I wouldn’t know what to do with it?! First up – get some stains on that baby! jk jk

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes September 6, 2011

Oh this looks incredible! I am in love with pesto. Can’t wait to try this!!

Shanna, Like Banana September 6, 2011

Oh my…so yum. That first photo had me majorly drooling. I recently made my foray into pesto 2 years ago and I’m obsessed. I like to add all sorts of things like sun dried tomatoes, walnuts, spicy peppers, etc.

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop September 6, 2011

Another amazing recipe! Thanks for the great idea :)
Awesome pictures too, by the way.

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots September 6, 2011

Mmm…it looks so hearty and delicious! :-) And I’m assuming that those beautiful vegetables are from your garden?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

The romas are from the market, sadly I didnt grow any romas this year!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy September 6, 2011

I am drooling just looking at the pictures of this pasta! I love roasted tomatoes with basil! Perfect recipe!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 6, 2011

OMG! I wish I would’ve had this recipe on Sunday when I needed to use up those roma tomatoes on my counter (I ended up making fresh pico de gallo instead)! I’ll be heading to the store tonight for more tomatoes to make this! Yum!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 6, 2011

What a great looking dish! I am always looking for healthy pasta recipes and this is definitely going to make its way into the rotation.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 6, 2011

Those roasted tomatoes are so beautiful, I almost hate to see them go into the food processor! :-)

Girl in the pink September 6, 2011

Yum, I’ve heard of sundried tomato pesto but not roasted tomato!!

Emily September 6, 2011

How did you freeze this? How long does it keep? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

I just put it in a glass (freezer safe) small container and then covered the pesto with a bit of plastic wrap to keep away freezer burn. Then put the lid on and popped it into the freezer. Im sure there’s a better way to freeze it, but that’s how I do it. I’m not positive how long it keeps in the freezer, but I’m sure it’s easy to find out!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com September 6, 2011

Love roasted tomatoes! Great idea turning them into pesto! yum!

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats September 6, 2011

Yum! I love pesto…this recipe looks amazing. I’m bookmarking it right now!

Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather September 6, 2011

That looks amazing! I always try to have Extra pesto in the freeze… Now I want this one in there. I’m excited about this meal too!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath September 6, 2011

This looks delicious!! Can’t wait to try it!

Heather September 6, 2011

This looks amazing!! My mom grew an absurd amount of tomatoes this season and now we have about 50 jars of sauce ready for tomato soup, pizza sauce, and much more. Any good ‘mater soup recipes, it’s one of the main things I crave during our PA winters! Thanks!

Mama Pea September 6, 2011

This looks amazing! True story: I had a professional chef helping me prep a cooking demo a few weeks ago and I asked him to “jullienne” the mint. He gave me kind of a haughty look and said, “I think you mean chiffonade.” I felt like a complete moron. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011

LOL! That just made my day. I say things like that all the time. Don’t you wish you had a mental Google reference? lol.

Page 1 of 612345»...Last »