Vegan Tortilla Soup

IMG 1300 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

Being a gardener in August is a wonderful thing.

Even for a Former Black Thumb! [Can I call myself a Former Black Thumb if I still kill indoor plants? I guess that is debatable…]

I now have enough organic kale to supply Whole Foods. ;)

IMG 1193 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

The sweetest tomatoes I’ve tasted!

IMG 1192 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

We’ve been enjoying toasted tomato basil sandwiches lately. Just toast some bread, spread on Earth Balance, layer on the fresh tomatoes and basil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Nothing beats it!

Spring onions:

IMG 1285 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

Gorgeous red peppers, soooo very sweet and crisp.

IMG 1197 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

and many that still haven’t turned colour yet.

IMG 1199 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

Banana Peppers too!

IMG 1287 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

I turned some of our garden bounty into a delicious tortilla soup last night. Eric strained his back doing renos on the weekend, so I figured a healing soup (and massage) was just what the doctor ordered. While I can’t say that I healed his back, it sure put a big smile on his face!

Sometimes, a smile and a huge bowl of tortilla soup is all that you can ask for.

IMG 1315 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

IMG 1311 thumb1   Vegan Tortilla Soup

The fresh corn added a sweet crispness to the soup. Much better than the canned variety!

IMG 1284 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

All the veggies sautéing…

IMG 1289 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

After adding the cumin, tomatoes, broth, and salt & pepper.

IMG 1291 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

This soups really shines with salt, pepper, a bit of crushed red pepper flakes, and Herbamare. I didn’t add chili peppers as Eric isn’t a fan of spicy food, but if I was making it for myself I would to give it a nice kick.

I also stirred in 2 tbsp of chia seeds to pack in more nutrition and thicken the broth slightly.

IMG 1292 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

While the soup was simmering, I made some tortilla strips by slicing up an Ezekiel tortilla and sprinkling on olive oil, chili powder, and garlic powder. I broiled it on medium heat for 3 minutes until golden and crisp. They tasted amazing!

IMG 1310 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

Your healing dinner is served, complete with Daiya cheese, fresh lime juice, chopped avocado, tortilla strips, Herbamare, pepper, and green onion!

IMG 1304 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

With a side of tortilla chips and salsa. :) I really wish we had some Food Should Taste Good Sweet Potato Chips instead of these white corn ones though. We have a little obsession with the FSTG chips lately, but we don’t buy them much because they are pricey.

IMG 1320 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

We both loved this soup! The best part is that we have plenty of leftovers to enjoy for quick lunches this week. You can also freeze it for up to a month if you desire.

I just realized that I meant to add kale into this soup too! Oops.

IMG 1313 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

Let the transition from Summer into Fall begin…

Don’t forget you have until tomorrow to enter my Lululemon giveaway!

Helga August 30, 2011

Angela, I love your recipes! Sometimes it’s difficult (I live in Germany so some ingredients are hard to get/I don’t know them and I have to convert temperatures and measurements) but it’s worth the effort. SV chickpeas, Hummus, buckwheat porridge, cookie dough balls [!!!], you name it, I love it :)
Your veggies look delish and your photography is great. I’m drooling over my keyboard ;)

Kristen Lessl August 30, 2011

Hi! Just fyi for all of you Food Should Taste Good lovers out there – if you go to their website (www.foodshouldtastegood.com), at the bottom of the page you can get $1 off coupon! Also, this soup looks fantastic – my tomatoes are just starting to ripen so I will be making this soon!

Deb Lee August 31, 2011

Yeah, I was excited to see that too ($1 is $1, right?!), but the coupon is only valid in the U.S. ~ too bad for those of us who are in Canada (or elsewhere!).

Fran {The Flavorful Fork} August 30, 2011

What a beautiful garden! I am truly impressed. You must be
feeling like kale is coming out of your ears at this point! :) The tortilla soup looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen August 30, 2011

This just looks phenomenallll.

kathleen August 30, 2011

Your veggies from your garden look delish. I’m glad someone else like tomato basil sandwiches like I do. My husband thinks I’m crazy when I eat that for lunch. You have inspired me to start a garden next year. I’m sire the hard work has paid off

Catherine August 30, 2011

Angela – Great recipe! Just made a batch and it simmering on the stove top now. Do I add the black beans after it simmers to just warm them up or should I have added them with the tomatoes or am I missing it in the recipe because I am tired after a long long day at a job I hate?//

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl August 30, 2011

I’m SUPER jealous of your long- lasting kale supply. My neighbor has a garden full of kale similar to yours and every time I walk by their house, I want to snip it all of, hehe :) Guess I should grow my own!
Tortilla soup looks delicious, esp for a brisk fall coming up!

Karen August 30, 2011

love the green monsters and all of the great recipes. Keep up the great work!

Sam August 30, 2011

haha I just had a vegan enchilada with FSTG sweet potato chips! So good!!!! Especially after a hard tennis practice :P

jackie hatch! August 30, 2011

You are definitely a fall person!!!! This looks so yummy I can’t wait to try it! I’m attempting a vegetable garden next spring Yours is awesome! :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty August 30, 2011

Would you stop making such tasty recipes! My list of things to make is loading up way to fast! I can’t keep up.

Tracy August 30, 2011

So jealous of your garden, and this looks so yummy and easy to make :) Thanks for sharing!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 30, 2011

Now that the evenings are getting colder, I’m definitely craving soup more. Hearty recipes with beans and lots of veggies are my favourite! I’m bookmarking this to make soon. :D

ashley @ cooking for john August 30, 2011

yes! i want!! definitely making this soon, thank you!!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 30, 2011

Yum! Soups are the only reason I am looking forward to cooler temperatures! :)

Sarah August 30, 2011

Mm.. that sandwich sounds great. (Soup looks good too :D)
My favorite way to enjoy tomatoes is on a piece of french bread slathered in mayo (or the equivalent vegan alternative) and topped with a tomato and salt and pepper. Yum yum yum.

Marijke August 31, 2011

Oh wow this looks amazing and I love the colours!!!

Casey Thomas August 31, 2011

I make an amazing raw tortilla soup and it’s so good! Lots of fresh corn shaved off the cob at the end and tons of fresh basil. Yum!

Manderley August 31, 2011

Hummm must be sooo good, I’ll do.

xo

Heather McWhorter August 31, 2011

Oh I am so jealous of your amazing kale!!! I wish I lived in a house that had enough room in the backyard for a garden. But alas – I suppose I will have to wait… Looks lovely!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 31, 2011

It IS wonderful being a gardener this time of year! My garden got fried this summer (8 weeks of no rain and 100+ degrees) but as soon as August hit the weather cooled, my plants revived and my fall crops went in.

I need to make tomato sandwiches more!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) August 31, 2011

This looks awesome! I used to love tortilla soup with chicken, I’ll need to try this!! xo

Leslie August 31, 2011

I’m printing off your soup recipe right now and going to make this for dinner! I really appreciate you telling us how to season the tortila chips (I’m not creative when it comes to spices and I believe your spices will kick the soup up the extra notch)…tks!

Molly @ RDexposed August 31, 2011

We’ve been doing garden san marzano, garden basil and mozzarella sandwiches. Every bite is like heaven!! What will we do in the winter??

Alaina August 31, 2011

I so want to have a garden when I get a house! To be able to make a dish as delicious looking as yours with items from your own backyard must be a great feeling. :-)

Maria @ Orchard Bloom August 31, 2011

This looks delicious. Also, I love the new blog header. I haven’t been online in a while, when did you change it?

melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day August 31, 2011

yum!

Carol August 31, 2011

The produce from your garden looks amazing!! I am so envious!! I tried square foot gardening this year (a little apprehensive bc I too have a black thumb) but the weather in Alberta did not co-operate this spring/summer, so I am left with alien looking tomatoes and a bushy zucchini plant with no fruit..:( Your Vegan Tortilla Soup looks yummy!! Off to market I go!!

Sarah S. August 31, 2011

Oh, my GOSH girl! Your food photos always make me hungry! I’ve realized that rather than deleting your blog subscription e-mails, I keep filing them day-in-and-day-out in my “recipes to try” e-mail folder, LOL! That folder is totally filled with almost every day of your blog, oops! I ought to get cooking!

Angela@veggievinyasa August 31, 2011

Thanks for veggifying a delicious traditional recipe! Can’t wait to try it.

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner August 31, 2011

LOVE LOVE LOVE tortilla soup…… and this looks great!! Can’t wait to try it!!
Love the photos of your garden too :)

Meg @ Maknwaves August 31, 2011

We just made a TON of homemade sauce with all of our ripened tomatoes. August is definitely the best month for gardeners! I have also recently started to get my craving for soups back with Fall approaching. This is definitely going to be one of the first ones I make once it gets a little cooler :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner August 31, 2011

ABsolutely GORGEOUS!!!

Willow August 31, 2011

This looks and sounds amazing! I wonder if I can find the time to make it tomorrow night… I have a stray ear of corn I don’t know what to do with. :)

Amber K August 31, 2011

After trying FSTG chips I haven’t had any other kinds! Way too good. Although I really miss their Potato & Chive flavor. But The Works!! is a good substitute.

Alex @ Raw Recovery August 31, 2011

Looks delicious! I always loved tortilla soup but many weren’t vegan. All I would need to complete this recipe is a vegan and non-processed version of sour cream!

Kathy August 31, 2011

The soup looks so yummy, I am going to have to try making it. Your garden also looks so lovely. We have gardened our entire lives and don’t have produce that nice looking. lol I have six lush pepper plants and only two peppers growing. What’s up with that?? We do have some nice looking tomatoes, but not much else to speak of. We did get seven voluntary plants that came up from our compost pile. I transplanted them to a nicer location. They all turned out to be cantelope plants. And i have about 6 beautiful cantelopes that I hope to pick within the month.

Sarah@inspirebeautiful.blogspot.com August 31, 2011

I think it is so ridiculous that you posted this today! I literally JUST mentioned last night as I was making your cheese sauce, ” I bet this would be good in a tortilla soup or something….I should make one” You’re awesome! I need to try this, I had a tortilla soup at Cracker Barrel once and it was delish…but probably not awesome for you! ; )

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011

Oh that’s funny because when I made it I wished I had cheeze sauce to drizzle over top!

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen August 31, 2011

I love love love tortilla soup. What a good way to get a bunch of veggies in one meal!

michelle August 31, 2011

I am SO jealous! You’re garden looks beautiful and making soup is the perfect way to appreciate it.

Page 3 of 4«1234»