Vegan Tortilla Soup

IMG 1300 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

Being a gardener in August is a wonderful thing.

Even for a Former Black Thumb! [Can I call myself a Former Black Thumb if I still kill indoor plants? I guess that is debatable…]

I now have enough organic kale to supply Whole Foods. ;)

IMG 1193 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

The sweetest tomatoes I’ve tasted!

IMG 1192 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

We’ve been enjoying toasted tomato basil sandwiches lately. Just toast some bread, spread on Earth Balance, layer on the fresh tomatoes and basil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Nothing beats it!

Spring onions:

IMG 1285 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

Gorgeous red peppers, soooo very sweet and crisp.

IMG 1197 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

and many that still haven’t turned colour yet.

IMG 1199 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

Banana Peppers too!

IMG 1287 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

I turned some of our garden bounty into a delicious tortilla soup last night. Eric strained his back doing renos on the weekend, so I figured a healing soup (and massage) was just what the doctor ordered. While I can’t say that I healed his back, it sure put a big smile on his face!

Sometimes, a smile and a huge bowl of tortilla soup is all that you can ask for.

IMG 1315 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

IMG 1311 thumb1   Vegan Tortilla Soup

The fresh corn added a sweet crispness to the soup. Much better than the canned variety!

IMG 1284 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

All the veggies sautéing…

IMG 1289 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

After adding the cumin, tomatoes, broth, and salt & pepper.

IMG 1291 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

This soups really shines with salt, pepper, a bit of crushed red pepper flakes, and Herbamare. I didn’t add chili peppers as Eric isn’t a fan of spicy food, but if I was making it for myself I would to give it a nice kick.

I also stirred in 2 tbsp of chia seeds to pack in more nutrition and thicken the broth slightly.

IMG 1292 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

While the soup was simmering, I made some tortilla strips by slicing up an Ezekiel tortilla and sprinkling on olive oil, chili powder, and garlic powder. I broiled it on medium heat for 3 minutes until golden and crisp. They tasted amazing!

IMG 1310 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

Your healing dinner is served, complete with Daiya cheese, fresh lime juice, chopped avocado, tortilla strips, Herbamare, pepper, and green onion!

IMG 1304 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

With a side of tortilla chips and salsa. :) I really wish we had some Food Should Taste Good Sweet Potato Chips instead of these white corn ones though. We have a little obsession with the FSTG chips lately, but we don’t buy them much because they are pricey.

IMG 1320 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

We both loved this soup! The best part is that we have plenty of leftovers to enjoy for quick lunches this week. You can also freeze it for up to a month if you desire.

I just realized that I meant to add kale into this soup too! Oops.

IMG 1313 thumb   Vegan Tortilla Soup

Let the transition from Summer into Fall begin…

Don’t forget you have until tomorrow to enter my Lululemon giveaway!

Nicole August 30, 2011

Yummm! I love soup and it makes me excited that soup weather is just around the corner! PS: I’m jealous of your kale garden!

Estela @ Weekly Bite August 30, 2011

Tortilla soup is a favorite of mine. I love all those fresh veggies!!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 30, 2011

I love traditional tortilla soup but pick out the chicken because I am not a fan. I have GOT to make this.

Christina @ According To C August 30, 2011

Super jealous of your red peppers! They look spectacular!

Noelle August 30, 2011

This sounds very seasonally delicious! All those veggies! Yum!

Moni'sMeals August 30, 2011

First of all, your veggies are stunning!! This might be the best soup ever because of them, is what I say!
I will for sure be making this soon especially when the weather out here cools down. I love tortilla soup but it is so rare to get it without all loaded cheese and chicken. This is my kind of tortilla soup for sure! and…

those tortilla sticks, YUM!

Kathryn August 30, 2011

We’ve been making tomato basil zucchini paninis with a little dayia. So yummy. Tomato basil is the best! This soup looks great!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

oh wow that sounds good!

Liz @ Southern Charm August 30, 2011

Oh wow! Those fresh veggies are calling my name! Loved that you made a soup of them :)

And your tomato basil sandwich sounds amazing as well. I think it may be lunch time …

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove August 30, 2011

Oo I love this! It’s starting to get chilly at night so a warm soup like this is perfect! Plus, we can grab some zucchini and tomatoes from the garden in our backyard!

The Purple Carrot August 30, 2011

I had my first cup of hot tea this morning in a long time. I’m ready for the transition!

Carissa August 30, 2011

Our kale crop looks about like yours. It’s invincible! We had high winds with Irene and everything else was blowing all around (we had to re-plant a few pepper plants – let’s hope they pull through!) but the kale just stood there, not moving. We think a little chipmunk took refuge in there because later that day we saw him creeping out.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

awww!!! Poor lil animals and plants. I hope your pepper plants rebound. I can’t get over how easy the pepper and kale plants were to grow. I didn’t have to do much!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots August 30, 2011

Your garden looks great! I haven’t had much success this year. Next year, I’m determined. Did you put an irrigation system in yours or do you water it by hand every day? P.S. That soup looks divine. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

I initially watered it by hand (and it took forever each day!), but Eric bought me one of those cheapo sprinklers for $10 and I just water it with that. We’ve been getting a lot more rain this month so I haven’t had to water much thankfully…not like July!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots August 30, 2011

How nice of him! :-) I’ve been watering mine by hand and it does take a good chunk out of my morning….and it doesn’t help that we are in a water deficit here in South Carolina. Poor garden. :-) So jealous of yours!

Jessica August 30, 2011

Mmmm sound delish! Wow! that is a lot of kale! Maybe for some Green Monsters???

Jenny @ Simply Be...me August 30, 2011

Chia seeds to thicken soup – brilliant! Our kale stopped growing long ago and it was a sad day when I had to pull the plants. Now if only the tomatoes would start to ripen I would be a happy girl.

Michelle August 30, 2011

You’re totally a former black thumb. That is one killer garden! The colors of tortilla soup are just so beautiful!

Suzie August 30, 2011

Your food is amazing, your recipes have really inspired me in my eating disorder recovery! I may blog some cooks using a few of your gluten free sometime!! X

Lauren August 30, 2011

Last night I was LITERALLY craving one of my friend’s recipe called Taco Soup- but I was wishing for a vegan version of it.. I am so excited to try this!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) August 30, 2011

last week i made soup of out veggies from the garden too. oh my gosh, so delicious. i love using most of my ingredients right from the backyard! can’t beat it :) now i just need an avocado tree and i would be set…

Sarah with Veggie Kids August 30, 2011

Wow, you’re like a real, professional gardener now!! Your veggies look so great. I’m working on my kale as we speak but they’re still too little to pick. It’s just so rewarding when the things you plant actually grow-haha! Love the tortilla soup recipe too-I haven’t had tortilla soup since before I went vegan so thanks for the great idea!

Marisa @ Mind Over Booty August 30, 2011

OMG! I’m obsessed with tortilla soup and have such a hard time finding vegetarian versions. I cannot wait to try this recipe!

tweal August 30, 2011

Yep that looks totally delicious and perfect for fall – soupy and warm but filled with summer’s bounty. I so wish I had a garden, I would love to grow my own veg.

OSGMOM August 30, 2011

Perfect timing for a soup recipe. Our gorgeous 31c or 87F weather changed overnight and we’re expecting a high of 12C or 53F today :( However, this soup recipe has cheered me up & I look forward to making it. Love the photos of your veggies — you should be very proud that your hard work and persistence have filled your kitchen with lots of healthy veggies — you’ve got a Green thumb now!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

Oh man were your ears burning because I was just telling Margaret that your weather goes from hot to 12 degrees overnight…guess I wasn’t too far off!

Christina August 30, 2011

Perfect soup for the fall weather that seems to be steadily creeping in! I love any soup with tomatoes, I’m all about harty vegetable soups

Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart August 30, 2011

I love tortilla soup! This looks so good!!! thanks for posting!YUM

Bev Weidner August 30, 2011

Every single thing that I just looked at was like heroin for my eyeballs.

YUM.

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 30, 2011

The soup looks incredible — and it must feel so good to have grown the veggies in there as well!

I hope Eric feels better soon. Jason has had plenty of days where his back is just killing him.

Julie August 30, 2011

Such gorg colors! Autumn is my absolute favorite season and I am welcoming it with open arms! I said that I wanted to kick the last few days of summer off my calendar. This recipe makes me wants to come stay at your house all fall!

The Teenage Taste August 30, 2011

Oh the joys of having your own garden. Every Summer my Dad and I plant a veggie garden in the backyard. I swear, home-grown veggies taste 10x better than the kind you can buy at the store! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

They really do…I wasn’t sure how they’d taste, but it is true that they are sweeter and more flavourful!

Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission August 30, 2011

I love all the vegetables growing in my garden right now at an alarming rate… it makes it so easy to make all these healthy recipes! The soup looks delicious. I should definitely grow kale next year too

Bee Goes Bananas August 30, 2011

I read your blog through Google Reader and this is the first time I’ve look at your new page header. So cute!! I love it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

Aww thanks!

Alexis (hummusapien) August 30, 2011

That soup looks delicious! What a great way to use all your garden goodies. I’m so jealous of all the kale!! Green monsters are calling…. :)

Sweet and Savvy August 30, 2011

Wow! This looks so good! I love that it is veganized:)

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes August 30, 2011

This looks so yummy!
I LOVE all the fresh produce you used! What a great way to get lots of veggies. Inspires me to do better about gardening! And your pictures are beautiful!!

Cait's Plate August 30, 2011

The colors are just INCREDIBLE. And I adore that spoon.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

Thanks Cait :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 30, 2011

Love the idea of using chia in this! I’d probably add a few chipotles too – they are my new addiction. :)

elizabeth August 30, 2011

Looks so good! I’ll have to make this sometime this week/weekend.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 30, 2011

This looks beautiful Ange, and I think you’ve done an AMAZING job with your garden this summer!! How rewarding! Love the photos and the bright pops of colour. Oh, and I hope Eric is ok!! :)

LizAshlee August 30, 2011

What a great recipe!! The photos of produce look amazing!! I love tomato sandwiches and with basil…mmm good! :) I think you can definitely say you were a black thumb..you have went above and beyond with the produce from your garden! :)

Happy Tuesday!

Blog is the New Black August 30, 2011

This looks wonderful! Can’t wait for the weather to cool down a bit more!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 30, 2011

That’s so great that you have a garden! It’s fun and saves money! Not for me though… Haha not enough space in my studio apartment…

Page 1 of 41234»