Vegan Tortilla Soup

IMG_1300

Being a gardener in August is a wonderful thing.

Even for a Former Black Thumb! [Can I call myself a Former Black Thumb if I still kill indoor plants? I guess that is debatable…]

I now have enough organic kale to supply Whole Foods. ;)

IMG_1193

The sweetest tomatoes I’ve tasted!

IMG_1192

We’ve been enjoying toasted tomato basil sandwiches lately. Just toast some bread, spread on Earth Balance, layer on the fresh tomatoes and basil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Nothing beats it!

Spring onions:

IMG_1285

Gorgeous red peppers, soooo very sweet and crisp.

IMG_1197

and many that still haven’t turned colour yet.

IMG_1199

Banana Peppers too!

IMG_1287

I turned some of our garden bounty into a delicious tortilla soup last night. Eric strained his back doing renos on the weekend, so I figured a healing soup (and massage) was just what the doctor ordered. While I can’t say that I healed his back, it sure put a big smile on his face!

Sometimes, a smile and a huge bowl of tortilla soup is all that you can ask for.

IMG_1315

IMG_1311

The fresh corn added a sweet crispness to the soup. Much better than the canned variety!

IMG_1284

All the veggies sautéing…

IMG_1289

After adding the cumin, tomatoes, broth, and salt & pepper.

IMG_1291

This soups really shines with salt, pepper, a bit of crushed red pepper flakes, and Herbamare. I didn’t add chili peppers as Eric isn’t a fan of spicy food, but if I was making it for myself I would to give it a nice kick.

I also stirred in 2 tbsp of chia seeds to pack in more nutrition and thicken the broth slightly.

IMG_1292

While the soup was simmering, I made some tortilla strips by slicing up an Ezekiel tortilla and sprinkling on olive oil, chili powder, and garlic powder. I broiled it on medium heat for 3 minutes until golden and crisp. They tasted amazing!

IMG_1310

Your healing dinner is served, complete with Daiya cheese, fresh lime juice, chopped avocado, tortilla strips, Herbamare, pepper, and green onion!

IMG_1304

With a side of tortilla chips and salsa. :) I really wish we had some Food Should Taste Good Sweet Potato Chips instead of these white corn ones though. We have a little obsession with the FSTG chips lately, but we don’t buy them much because they are pricey.

IMG_1320

We both loved this soup! The best part is that we have plenty of leftovers to enjoy for quick lunches this week. You can also freeze it for up to a month if you desire.

I just realized that I meant to add kale into this soup too! Oops.

IMG_1313

Let the transition from Summer into Fall begin…

Don’t forget you have until tomorrow to enter my Lululemon giveaway!

1 Nicole August 30, 2011

Yummm! I love soup and it makes me excited that soup weather is just around the corner! PS: I’m jealous of your kale garden!

2 Estela @ Weekly Bite August 30, 2011

Tortilla soup is a favorite of mine. I love all those fresh veggies!!

3 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 30, 2011

I love traditional tortilla soup but pick out the chicken because I am not a fan. I have GOT to make this.

4 Christina @ According To C August 30, 2011

Super jealous of your red peppers! They look spectacular!

5 Noelle August 30, 2011

This sounds very seasonally delicious! All those veggies! Yum!

6 Moni'sMeals August 30, 2011

First of all, your veggies are stunning!! This might be the best soup ever because of them, is what I say!
I will for sure be making this soon especially when the weather out here cools down. I love tortilla soup but it is so rare to get it without all loaded cheese and chicken. This is my kind of tortilla soup for sure! and…

those tortilla sticks, YUM!

7 Kathryn August 30, 2011

We’ve been making tomato basil zucchini paninis with a little dayia. So yummy. Tomato basil is the best! This soup looks great!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

oh wow that sounds good!

9 Liz @ Southern Charm August 30, 2011

Oh wow! Those fresh veggies are calling my name! Loved that you made a soup of them :)

And your tomato basil sandwich sounds amazing as well. I think it may be lunch time …

10 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove August 30, 2011

Oo I love this! It’s starting to get chilly at night so a warm soup like this is perfect! Plus, we can grab some zucchini and tomatoes from the garden in our backyard!

11 The Purple Carrot August 30, 2011

I had my first cup of hot tea this morning in a long time. I’m ready for the transition!

12 Carissa August 30, 2011

Our kale crop looks about like yours. It’s invincible! We had high winds with Irene and everything else was blowing all around (we had to re-plant a few pepper plants – let’s hope they pull through!) but the kale just stood there, not moving. We think a little chipmunk took refuge in there because later that day we saw him creeping out.

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

awww!!! Poor lil animals and plants. I hope your pepper plants rebound. I can’t get over how easy the pepper and kale plants were to grow. I didn’t have to do much!

14 Caroline @ chocolate & carrots August 30, 2011

Your garden looks great! I haven’t had much success this year. Next year, I’m determined. Did you put an irrigation system in yours or do you water it by hand every day? P.S. That soup looks divine. :-)

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

I initially watered it by hand (and it took forever each day!), but Eric bought me one of those cheapo sprinklers for $10 and I just water it with that. We’ve been getting a lot more rain this month so I haven’t had to water much thankfully…not like July!

16 Caroline @ chocolate & carrots August 30, 2011

How nice of him! :-) I’ve been watering mine by hand and it does take a good chunk out of my morning….and it doesn’t help that we are in a water deficit here in South Carolina. Poor garden. :-) So jealous of yours!

17 Jessica August 30, 2011

Mmmm sound delish! Wow! that is a lot of kale! Maybe for some Green Monsters???

18 Jenny @ Simply Be...me August 30, 2011

Chia seeds to thicken soup – brilliant! Our kale stopped growing long ago and it was a sad day when I had to pull the plants. Now if only the tomatoes would start to ripen I would be a happy girl.

19 Michelle August 30, 2011

You’re totally a former black thumb. That is one killer garden! The colors of tortilla soup are just so beautiful!

20 Suzie August 30, 2011

Your food is amazing, your recipes have really inspired me in my eating disorder recovery! I may blog some cooks using a few of your gluten free sometime!! X

21 Lauren August 30, 2011

Last night I was LITERALLY craving one of my friend’s recipe called Taco Soup- but I was wishing for a vegan version of it.. I am so excited to try this!

22 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) August 30, 2011

last week i made soup of out veggies from the garden too. oh my gosh, so delicious. i love using most of my ingredients right from the backyard! can’t beat it :) now i just need an avocado tree and i would be set…

23 Sarah with Veggie Kids August 30, 2011

Wow, you’re like a real, professional gardener now!! Your veggies look so great. I’m working on my kale as we speak but they’re still too little to pick. It’s just so rewarding when the things you plant actually grow-haha! Love the tortilla soup recipe too-I haven’t had tortilla soup since before I went vegan so thanks for the great idea!

24 Marisa @ Mind Over Booty August 30, 2011

OMG! I’m obsessed with tortilla soup and have such a hard time finding vegetarian versions. I cannot wait to try this recipe!

25 tweal August 30, 2011

Yep that looks totally delicious and perfect for fall – soupy and warm but filled with summer’s bounty. I so wish I had a garden, I would love to grow my own veg.

26 OSGMOM August 30, 2011

Perfect timing for a soup recipe. Our gorgeous 31c or 87F weather changed overnight and we’re expecting a high of 12C or 53F today :( However, this soup recipe has cheered me up & I look forward to making it. Love the photos of your veggies — you should be very proud that your hard work and persistence have filled your kitchen with lots of healthy veggies — you’ve got a Green thumb now!

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

Oh man were your ears burning because I was just telling Margaret that your weather goes from hot to 12 degrees overnight…guess I wasn’t too far off!

28 Christina August 30, 2011

Perfect soup for the fall weather that seems to be steadily creeping in! I love any soup with tomatoes, I’m all about harty vegetable soups

29 Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart August 30, 2011

I love tortilla soup! This looks so good!!! thanks for posting!YUM

30 Bev Weidner August 30, 2011

Every single thing that I just looked at was like heroin for my eyeballs.

YUM.

31 Holly @ The Runny Egg August 30, 2011

The soup looks incredible — and it must feel so good to have grown the veggies in there as well!

I hope Eric feels better soon. Jason has had plenty of days where his back is just killing him.

32 Julie August 30, 2011

Such gorg colors! Autumn is my absolute favorite season and I am welcoming it with open arms! I said that I wanted to kick the last few days of summer off my calendar. This recipe makes me wants to come stay at your house all fall!

33 The Teenage Taste August 30, 2011

Oh the joys of having your own garden. Every Summer my Dad and I plant a veggie garden in the backyard. I swear, home-grown veggies taste 10x better than the kind you can buy at the store! :-)

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

They really do…I wasn’t sure how they’d taste, but it is true that they are sweeter and more flavourful!

35 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission August 30, 2011

I love all the vegetables growing in my garden right now at an alarming rate… it makes it so easy to make all these healthy recipes! The soup looks delicious. I should definitely grow kale next year too

36 Bee Goes Bananas August 30, 2011

I read your blog through Google Reader and this is the first time I’ve look at your new page header. So cute!! I love it!

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

Aww thanks!

38 Alexis (hummusapien) August 30, 2011

That soup looks delicious! What a great way to use all your garden goodies. I’m so jealous of all the kale!! Green monsters are calling…. :)

39 Sweet and Savvy August 30, 2011

Wow! This looks so good! I love that it is veganized:)

40 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes August 30, 2011

This looks so yummy!
I LOVE all the fresh produce you used! What a great way to get lots of veggies. Inspires me to do better about gardening! And your pictures are beautiful!!

41 Cait's Plate August 30, 2011

The colors are just INCREDIBLE. And I adore that spoon.

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

Thanks Cait :)

43 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 30, 2011

Love the idea of using chia in this! I’d probably add a few chipotles too – they are my new addiction. :)

44 elizabeth August 30, 2011

Looks so good! I’ll have to make this sometime this week/weekend.

45 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 30, 2011

This looks beautiful Ange, and I think you’ve done an AMAZING job with your garden this summer!! How rewarding! Love the photos and the bright pops of colour. Oh, and I hope Eric is ok!! :)

46 LizAshlee August 30, 2011

What a great recipe!! The photos of produce look amazing!! I love tomato sandwiches and with basil…mmm good! :) I think you can definitely say you were a black thumb..you have went above and beyond with the produce from your garden! :)

Happy Tuesday!

47 Blog is the New Black August 30, 2011

This looks wonderful! Can’t wait for the weather to cool down a bit more!

48 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 30, 2011

That’s so great that you have a garden! It’s fun and saves money! Not for me though… Haha not enough space in my studio apartment…

49 Heather (heathers dish) August 30, 2011

Heaven! Nothin tastes better than something you created from the ground up!

50 Lori August 30, 2011

Chopped cilantro on top:)

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

yes that would have been lovely too!

52 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious August 30, 2011

This looks amazing!! Your pictures are beautiful — the veggies are so bright and colourful!

53 Tracie Pollard August 30, 2011

Have you ever frozen this afterwards?? I know the tortilla strips should be fresh each time, but when I make soup I love to make enough for several meals and I was just curious.
-Tracie

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

yes it can be frozen (without toppings) for up to 1 month. :)

55 Denise Wright August 30, 2011

yum!!!!!!!!!!!!

56 Meghan F. August 30, 2011

Your garden looks BEAUTIFUL! I’m inspired for next year…

57 Laura August 30, 2011

Your photography is stunning! Loook at those vibrant colours!
Yes, I know its fall when sbucks bringsout the pumpkin lattes

58 Ashley August 30, 2011

I am soooo impressed with your garden. Seriously!!! And you give me such hope for next summer!!! You probably could supply veggie boxes to your neighbors, haha! This soup looks veggie-tastic and you can SEE how much flavor is in the broth. Definitely need to make this. Hope Eric is feeling better soon..poor guy!

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

I know your garden is going to be amazing!

60 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 30, 2011

Yum! Kale would taste fantastic with this, but it looks great anyhow. Congrats on the new green thumb haha :)

61 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 30, 2011

I will definitely be making this! Tortilla soup is and old fav but, I feel like everytime I order it out it disappoints. On another note- have you been able to keep up (eat) with all that gorgeous produce from your garden? You must be eating A LOT of kale!

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

I’ve been eating kale almost every day, but still can’t keep up so I’ve been giving it away to spread the love. :) I’m freezing it for the winter too.

63 Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites August 30, 2011

Holy Moly! I am so impressed with how far your garden has come Angela! You have clearly put a lot of love into it :) It must be incredibly gratifying to just grab your own veggies to incorporate into all your creative and delicious meals! There are community gardens here in Boston but I don’t think that’s the same. Hopefully someday Ill have a gahden of my own! ;)

64 Beth August 30, 2011

Tortilla soup is my favorite! I hope it cools down here soon to bring out the soup pot. I don’t want to be eating soup when it’s still 100 degrees out! Can’t wait to try it! BTW: I made the chocolate chunk toffee bars last night for my husband and he loved them. I also made the lightened-up summer granola for myself to bring to work for a snack.

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

Glad the bars were enjoyed :)

100 degrees still? Ouch!

66 JenATX August 30, 2011

it’s been so fun watching your garden transition over the months.. thanks for sharing with us :)

67 Liz @ Something To Chew On August 30, 2011

This looks AWESOME! It may be hot and schweaty here today, but now you’ve got me craving a bowl!

68 Alexa @ Simple Eats August 30, 2011

I love a soup filled with Mexican flavors…it always tastes so fresh!

69 Deb Lee August 30, 2011

In case anyone is interested, there’s a $1 coupon for those chips you mentioned (by “Food Should Taste Good”) ~ I’ve never tried the chips, but I’m going to try them alongside your soup. : D

70 Deb Lee August 30, 2011

Oh, I should have said the coupon is on the company’s website: http://www.foodshouldtastegood.com/flavors.html#/home/ (under ‘special offers’ or by clicking the little thingy at the bottom-you’ll see it)

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

oh cool thanks!

72 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama August 30, 2011

Your garden is amazing! So impressive. I made some veggie tortilla soup last week, too, and I agree that it is a perfect transition into fall soup.

73 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 30, 2011

The tortilla soup looks soooo good!

When Scott and I were first dating (this was the dark ages, like 12+ yrs ago b/c we’ve been married 10+) I would “humor him” and go to TGIFriday’s restaurant and watch the football games on their satellite TVs b/c they got games there that we couldnt get at home…and the only thing that kept me sitting thru those football games were tortilla soup. And lots of vodka :)

But I LOVE tortilla soup! And cute black placemat…colors are perfect for the soup. Nice propping :)

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

Thanks Averie :)

75 Stefanie August 30, 2011

First off, your soup looks tasty. Your garden loot is stunning. It is rewarding to be able to eat your own veggies/fruits. Hopefully you continue to garden.

76 Beach Bum Beauty August 30, 2011

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you are a genius! I was thinking the other day that I don’t want bread with my soup or croutons but I miss something along these lines so tortilla strips is it :-)

77 Maria August 30, 2011

I love fresh veggies from the garden :-) Your pictures (and soup) look very pretty and colorful!

78 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy August 30, 2011

This looks amazing! Fabulous pictures! Its a rainy day here in MN and soup sounds so good!

79 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh August 30, 2011

That looks like heaven! I’m SO ready for soup/chili season! I’d dive right in but we’re headed for a warm up back into the 90’s just in time for my birthday. :-( It’s time for changing leaves, pumpkin anything and indian corn! Bring it!

80 Brittany @ Runwithbritt August 30, 2011

I think I’m in heaven! Tortilla soup is my favorite and I can’t wait to make this vegan alternative! It looks delicious!

81 val August 30, 2011

Can’t wait to try the recipe. What I beautiful garden–you’ve inspired me to add kale to my garden next year. Love the new banner & the honeymoon pics.

82 jen August 30, 2011

that soup looks incredible! if i had power in my house i would whip it up immediately!

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

hope your power comes back on soon!

84 Katrina August 30, 2011

Love this! I was searching something along these lines recently. So yummy!

85 Heather @ Better With Veggies August 30, 2011

Your veggies look gorgeous! I’m having mixed results this year, but this is the first year we’ve had an honest-to-goodness vegetable garden. My Kale didn’t make it, our heirloom tomatoes are doing great (just slower producing than I would like), pole beans have been pretty good (but still not as many as expected) and we’ve only had 1 pepper from 5 plants. Maybe there’s still hope and we’ll get a good later harvest. Enjoy your veggies!

86 Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 30, 2011

Your garden is beautiful!! This soup looks delicious…I wish I had it right now! I have a terrible cold and this sounds amazing.

87 Kathy August 30, 2011

Awh, that’s nice to treat Eric to a good massage and vegan tortilla soup!! The recipe looks divine, by the way ;)

88 Heather Colby August 30, 2011

Sounds good. This time of year I’m always looking for something to use up tomatoes.

89 Sandra Kohlmann August 30, 2011

Mmm…that soup looks so yummy. I will remember your recipe for my menu next week. I envy your garden. I had a back injury this past spring, which killed our garden plans. I am so antsy to be growing veggies that I’m already planning our garden for next year!

90 Shannon ~ My Place In The Race August 30, 2011

This looks really good! Yum. Yum!! :P

91 Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather August 30, 2011

Your garden is BOOMING! this looks so very comforting Angela.

92 VeggieGirl August 30, 2011

Wow, what a beautiful crop of kale, im so jealous!

93 Jamie @ CollegeGirlCooking August 30, 2011

Looks absolutely delish! I love tortilla soup!

94 Erin August 30, 2011

Looks fantastic! BTW, they sell the FSTG multigrain chips in big bags & boxes of the snack-size bags at Costco. Makes my addiction a little more affordable :)))

95 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

ahhhh really? In Canadian Costco too?

96 Erin August 30, 2011

Yep, at least here in Calgary ;)

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011

I’m way too excited over this. I think I have a problem. heh

98 Erin August 30, 2011

Lol – I feel like an enabler hahaha!

99 Alexandra Schuchter August 30, 2011

Even at 118 degrees here in Phoenix, this looks too delicious to wait till Winter!

100 Carolyn August 30, 2011

Good gods, this looks tasty. I am going to “suggest” to my boyfriend that he and I make it. ~^

101 Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 30, 2011

how very wonderful!

102 Helga August 30, 2011

Angela, I love your recipes! Sometimes it’s difficult (I live in Germany so some ingredients are hard to get/I don’t know them and I have to convert temperatures and measurements) but it’s worth the effort. SV chickpeas, Hummus, buckwheat porridge, cookie dough balls [!!!], you name it, I love it :)
Your veggies look delish and your photography is great. I’m drooling over my keyboard ;)

103 Kristen Lessl August 30, 2011

Hi! Just fyi for all of you Food Should Taste Good lovers out there – if you go to their website (www.foodshouldtastegood.com), at the bottom of the page you can get $1 off coupon! Also, this soup looks fantastic – my tomatoes are just starting to ripen so I will be making this soon!

104 Deb Lee August 31, 2011

Yeah, I was excited to see that too ($1 is $1, right?!), but the coupon is only valid in the U.S. ~ too bad for those of us who are in Canada (or elsewhere!).

105 Fran {The Flavorful Fork} August 30, 2011

What a beautiful garden! I am truly impressed. You must be
feeling like kale is coming out of your ears at this point! :) The tortilla soup looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

106 Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen August 30, 2011

This just looks phenomenallll.

107 kathleen August 30, 2011

Your veggies from your garden look delish. I’m glad someone else like tomato basil sandwiches like I do. My husband thinks I’m crazy when I eat that for lunch. You have inspired me to start a garden next year. I’m sire the hard work has paid off

108 Catherine August 30, 2011

Angela – Great recipe! Just made a batch and it simmering on the stove top now. Do I add the black beans after it simmers to just warm them up or should I have added them with the tomatoes or am I missing it in the recipe because I am tired after a long long day at a job I hate?//

109 Emilia @ Namaste Gurl August 30, 2011

I’m SUPER jealous of your long- lasting kale supply. My neighbor has a garden full of kale similar to yours and every time I walk by their house, I want to snip it all of, hehe :) Guess I should grow my own!
Tortilla soup looks delicious, esp for a brisk fall coming up!

110 Karen August 30, 2011

love the green monsters and all of the great recipes. Keep up the great work!

111 Sam August 30, 2011

haha I just had a vegan enchilada with FSTG sweet potato chips! So good!!!! Especially after a hard tennis practice :P

112 jackie hatch! August 30, 2011

You are definitely a fall person!!!! This looks so yummy I can’t wait to try it! I’m attempting a vegetable garden next spring Yours is awesome! :)

113 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty August 30, 2011

Would you stop making such tasty recipes! My list of things to make is loading up way to fast! I can’t keep up.

114 Tracy August 30, 2011

So jealous of your garden, and this looks so yummy and easy to make :) Thanks for sharing!

115 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 30, 2011

Now that the evenings are getting colder, I’m definitely craving soup more. Hearty recipes with beans and lots of veggies are my favourite! I’m bookmarking this to make soon. :D

116 ashley @ cooking for john August 30, 2011

yes! i want!! definitely making this soon, thank you!!

117 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 30, 2011

Yum! Soups are the only reason I am looking forward to cooler temperatures! :)

118 Sarah August 30, 2011

Mm.. that sandwich sounds great. (Soup looks good too :D)
My favorite way to enjoy tomatoes is on a piece of french bread slathered in mayo (or the equivalent vegan alternative) and topped with a tomato and salt and pepper. Yum yum yum.

119 Marijke August 31, 2011

Oh wow this looks amazing and I love the colours!!!

120 Casey Thomas August 31, 2011

I make an amazing raw tortilla soup and it’s so good! Lots of fresh corn shaved off the cob at the end and tons of fresh basil. Yum!

121 Manderley August 31, 2011

Hummm must be sooo good, I’ll do.

xo

122 Heather McWhorter August 31, 2011

Oh I am so jealous of your amazing kale!!! I wish I lived in a house that had enough room in the backyard for a garden. But alas – I suppose I will have to wait… Looks lovely!

123 Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 31, 2011

It IS wonderful being a gardener this time of year! My garden got fried this summer (8 weeks of no rain and 100+ degrees) but as soon as August hit the weather cooled, my plants revived and my fall crops went in.

I need to make tomato sandwiches more!

124 Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) August 31, 2011

This looks awesome! I used to love tortilla soup with chicken, I’ll need to try this!! xo

125 Leslie August 31, 2011

I’m printing off your soup recipe right now and going to make this for dinner! I really appreciate you telling us how to season the tortila chips (I’m not creative when it comes to spices and I believe your spices will kick the soup up the extra notch)…tks!

126 Molly @ RDexposed August 31, 2011

We’ve been doing garden san marzano, garden basil and mozzarella sandwiches. Every bite is like heaven!! What will we do in the winter??

127 Alaina August 31, 2011

I so want to have a garden when I get a house! To be able to make a dish as delicious looking as yours with items from your own backyard must be a great feeling. :-)

128 Maria @ Orchard Bloom August 31, 2011

This looks delicious. Also, I love the new blog header. I haven’t been online in a while, when did you change it?

129 melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day August 31, 2011

yum!

130 Carol August 31, 2011

The produce from your garden looks amazing!! I am so envious!! I tried square foot gardening this year (a little apprehensive bc I too have a black thumb) but the weather in Alberta did not co-operate this spring/summer, so I am left with alien looking tomatoes and a bushy zucchini plant with no fruit..:( Your Vegan Tortilla Soup looks yummy!! Off to market I go!!

131 Sarah S. August 31, 2011

Oh, my GOSH girl! Your food photos always make me hungry! I’ve realized that rather than deleting your blog subscription e-mails, I keep filing them day-in-and-day-out in my “recipes to try” e-mail folder, LOL! That folder is totally filled with almost every day of your blog, oops! I ought to get cooking!

132 Angela@veggievinyasa August 31, 2011

Thanks for veggifying a delicious traditional recipe! Can’t wait to try it.

133 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner August 31, 2011

LOVE LOVE LOVE tortilla soup…… and this looks great!! Can’t wait to try it!!
Love the photos of your garden too :)

134 Meg @ Maknwaves August 31, 2011

We just made a TON of homemade sauce with all of our ripened tomatoes. August is definitely the best month for gardeners! I have also recently started to get my craving for soups back with Fall approaching. This is definitely going to be one of the first ones I make once it gets a little cooler :)

135 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner August 31, 2011

ABsolutely GORGEOUS!!!

136 Willow August 31, 2011

This looks and sounds amazing! I wonder if I can find the time to make it tomorrow night… I have a stray ear of corn I don’t know what to do with. :)

137 Amber K August 31, 2011

After trying FSTG chips I haven’t had any other kinds! Way too good. Although I really miss their Potato & Chive flavor. But The Works!! is a good substitute.

138 Alex @ Raw Recovery August 31, 2011

Looks delicious! I always loved tortilla soup but many weren’t vegan. All I would need to complete this recipe is a vegan and non-processed version of sour cream!

139 Kathy August 31, 2011

The soup looks so yummy, I am going to have to try making it. Your garden also looks so lovely. We have gardened our entire lives and don’t have produce that nice looking. lol I have six lush pepper plants and only two peppers growing. What’s up with that?? We do have some nice looking tomatoes, but not much else to speak of. We did get seven voluntary plants that came up from our compost pile. I transplanted them to a nicer location. They all turned out to be cantelope plants. And i have about 6 beautiful cantelopes that I hope to pick within the month.

140 Sarah@inspirebeautiful.blogspot.com August 31, 2011

I think it is so ridiculous that you posted this today! I literally JUST mentioned last night as I was making your cheese sauce, ” I bet this would be good in a tortilla soup or something….I should make one” You’re awesome! I need to try this, I had a tortilla soup at Cracker Barrel once and it was delish…but probably not awesome for you! ; )

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011

Oh that’s funny because when I made it I wished I had cheeze sauce to drizzle over top!

142 Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen August 31, 2011

I love love love tortilla soup. What a good way to get a bunch of veggies in one meal!

143 michelle August 31, 2011

I am SO jealous! You’re garden looks beautiful and making soup is the perfect way to appreciate it.

144 Laureen September 1, 2011

Your veggies look amazing. Makes me wish I had a garden of my own. I’ve never had tortilla soup but I’m going to have try your recipe because it looks and sounds delish!

145 Max@flavortogofast September 1, 2011

I’m so jealous of your vegetables! At least now that i’m in whistler I have access to lots of pemberton goodies at the farmer’s markets twice a week. You should try sautéed kale in your smoothies (especially when it’s made with garlic and herbs), it’s delish!

146 Dawn September 1, 2011

I made this soup just last night and it’s already all gone (I do confess that I added a bit of chicken and used chicken broth) – it has such a robust taste and my husband and I both really, really enjoyed it. Thanks for your recipes – keep up the good work! :)

147 Mandy Sit September 1, 2011

I am in loveee with this post!! Your garden looks beautiful and I am inspired to make this LOTS for fall. Thank you so much for your recipes and photos. You really brighten up my food ideas and work day!

148 Holly September 1, 2011

Wow, you must save a fortune on groceries! I am literally salivating over the veggie pics :) I laughed when I read your tomato basil sandwiches because my hubby and I eat a version on the reg. We call it, eh hem, “sex in your mouth sandwich” haha It is with tomato and basil but also spinach, pesto, daiya and I toast the bread with hummus instead of butter. I know your love for hummus, so you may enjoy it. Thanks for all the work you do, I love your recipes!

149 Tanya September 2, 2011

I’m drooling at the sight of your kale. I’m SO jealous!!! Can I have some? ;)

150 Erin September 2, 2011

This soup looks delicious. I am a soup fiend!
I am also super jealous of your peppers, the only one we had make it was itty bitty and the dog keeps digging them up! But yours look so good they give me hope!

151 TLC September 3, 2011

OMG! This looks sooooo good.

152 Willow September 4, 2011

Hey! I made this the other day and it is so awesome – I still have enough left over for lunch today (if I can hold off until lunch). I’ve never had tortilla soup before, but this was fantastic!

Just a heads up, I made a post about it and linked back to you for the recipe. Credit where credit is due!

-Willow

153 Katherine September 4, 2011

I have a huge crush on your Kale patch!!

154 Heidi September 5, 2011

This looks like the perfect fall comfort food!

155 Katie September 6, 2011

Oh my goodness I am in LOVE with this soup. I made a batch this weekend and it tasted amazing (i’m eating the leftovers for lunch right now :) ). Thanks Angela!!

156 Sarah@inspirebeautiful.blogspot.com September 13, 2011

MM, I have this cooking in the crockpot as I write this! Looks amazing, I love tortilla soup, I had it at cracker barrel one time years ago and still think about how yummy it was. I am SURE this is way healthier though! haha

157 Kasey Sanders September 20, 2011

Thank you for this recipe – it was easy to make and very tasty! I think the beans are missing from the actual instructions, but it is obvious enough when to add them in.

Thanks again for this delicious idea and congrats on your gorgeous garden!

158 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011

Oh thanks for pointing that out, I added it in! Im glad you liked the recipe too :)

159 Maria September 5, 2012

Dear Angela,

I still can’t find a line saying when to put in the beans (unfortunately, for me it is not obvious enough)…

This is a dream recipe! I absolutely fell in love with lime soup in Yucatán (Mexico) a couple of years ago, but it’s always filled with chicken or non-vegan ingredients. Will try this one! After you tell me when to put in the beans ;) I don’t want to overcook them or add them cold if that’s not the idea – sorry, not enough experience yet in cooking with beans!

160 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 5, 2012

Hi maria, Sorry about that! I added it into line #3 in the directions.

161 Andrea September 30, 2012

Hey Angela, I made this soup last night and it is tasty! However, I used the directions on your recipage instead of this post and it didn’t have the beans in the directions on that page. I didn’t realize that I’d forgot to put them in until we were half way through dinner! At least I can just stir them into my leftovers when I reheat them :) Just thought I’d let you know the beans are missing from that page though! Have a great Sunday!

162 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012

Oh sorry about that, I will take a look!!

163 Emily October 5, 2011

I’m trying this recipe in the crockpot right now- I’ll let you know how it turns out tonight!

164 Susanne September 5, 2012

I love Mexican tortilla soup, so thank you for this vegan one.

165 Melinda September 5, 2012

This recipe was perfect inspiration for my harvest out of the garden today. It was delicious!

166 Lisa September 23, 2012

I just finished preparing and eating this soup. WOW WOW WOW. I will be adding this in quite regularly :) Thank you for this amazing recipe, I can not wait to try many others.

167 Melissa October 1, 2012

I think between this recipe and the vegan enchiladas, I am quickly converting my fiance over to vegetarian/vegan! I’m a big fan of that. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

I love the idea of adding kale and happen to have a huge amount leftover from a pesto I made over the weekend. If you were to add kale to this soup, where would you recommend? (I’m thinking right before the beans….)

168 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2012

I’d probably add it just before the beans too…it wouldnt need to cook for long, 5 mins or just enough to wilt. goodluck!

169 darlene October 3, 2012

I made this soup last week and it was so good I ate the leftovers for two days. The only thing I will change next time is put less cumin, 3tbsp was super strong (ok for me but too much for my daughter) , I will put half that next time. The lime,tortilla strips,cheese and avocado toppings made this soup close to perfect :)

170 Lomena October 9, 2012

I just made this now and couln’t wait until dinner, it’s absolutely delicious – yum yum! Thanks so much for the recipe – it’s a keeper!

171 jj November 26, 2012

Hi Angela!

I was just curious why you note that this can only be frozen a month. I discovered a batch of this recipe in the freezer from last winter and I would love to re-heat and blend with an immersion blender. Do you think this would be a bad idea?

Thanks!

JJ

172 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 27, 2012

Id say go for it! I think I just assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that it would be freezer burned after 1 month. Maybe I am not storing my soups properly. Let me know if you try it!

173 Corrie November 28, 2012

I still have my umbilical cord attached I am such a new vegan. 4 months to be exact. But I love it. I am starting a website to chronicle my weight loss with my new found veganism. But I tell you, I keep on eating the AMAZING recipes you have on this site, I may not lose weight. This was one of my favorite so far. Just the amazingly wonderful flavors amplified by all the wonderful fresh veggies. Thank you for all the work you put into to your site. I am learning it is a crap ton of work. I hope some day to be half the blogger/culinary artist you are. Thank you, again.

174 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2012

Hey Corrie, Thank you so much for your lovely comment! That means so much to me. Goodluck with everything.

175 Christina December 5, 2012

Ok, so seriously, this is the BEST Tortilla Soup I have EVER had! Wow, this blew my mind. I am going to have to make it every week. And adding the chia seeds made it the most perfect consistency! Great job and thanks for sharing!!! :)

176 talia December 30, 2012

today is my first day of veganism…and this was the first vegan meal i ate..thank you was delicious

177 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 31, 2012

Congrats Talia!

178 Natalie May 15, 2013

Made this for dinner last night, delish!! Love all the chunky veg in it. I will def make this one again and again. Thanks for sharing all your great recipes!!

179 Leah June 16, 2013

Do you think I could make this in my crock pot?

Thanks!

180 Corinne September 16, 2013

This was soooooooo good. New favorite!

181 Carol October 8, 2013

I made this last night and it was fantastic! We had fresh peppers to use from our CSA so I used those instead of the bell peppers and canned chilies. I added a couple handfuls of kale at the end with kidney beans instead of the black beans, left out the zucchini, and added a spoonful of our homemade habanero hot sauce. Most recipes I have found for tortilla soup were blended, but I was craving something brothy with more texture. Thank your for the recipe!

182 Sean M November 5, 2013

Looks like you missed the black beans. They’re listed in the ingredients but not in the instructions.

183 Stephanie April 17, 2015

Haha I forgot to add them in there and it still tasted amazing

184 Linda March 2, 2014

I made this for my vegan daughter and chicken noodle for those who wanted meat. There was a lot of chicken noodle soup left over, while this soup was almost entirely gone. YUMMY!!

185 Kelley April 16, 2014

Just made this and wow! This is so delicious! Thank you for an amazing recipe :)

186 talia Ernest April 20, 2014

I made this soup and used “crushed tomatoes” which made it into a tomato base. I am wondering if you mean’t chopped tomatoes. It tasted more like a chili, a good one, but not quite what I was expecting.

187 Jessica Lauren DeBry June 6, 2014

This is one of my favorite recipes from your site! It really hits the spot. I like to throw a HUGE scoop of guacamole on top!

188 Maggie Wilson August 7, 2014

It’s been a wonky season. Crop failure in the chili pepper beds and only one zucchini so far. It took pride of place in this recipe today. It’s cool enough for soup, and it was easy and delicious. Thanks!

189 melissa August 24, 2014

Sounds delish! Love your site Where do you live that your garden grows so well?

190 Amber October 13, 2014

I absolutely LOVE this soup. My husband loved it also!! Will make again and again!!! Thanks so much!

191 Stephanie April 17, 2015

Omg just made this it was fantastic!

192 Amy Love May 15, 2015

Just made this a few nights ago with my husband and we both LOVED it! This is a definite addition to our soup menu!

A noticed some omissions in the directions which is fine but for newer cooks a few notes:
-We added the green chiles at the same time as the canned tomatoes since it did not specify.
+We cut up additional green onions to garnish since it did not specify “divided”

Modifications:
-We used a 4 oz can and used canned jalapenos instead for added heat.
-We used vegan chicken broth so it would be more like a chicken tortilla soup and DOUBLED the broth to 6 cups total.
-My husband hates corn (WEIRDO) so I just chopped up extra veggies.
-We garnished with some cilantro as well :)

193 Tammy August 3, 2015

I made this soup tonight and it was fantastic. I was out of zucchini but I had small butternut squash on hand and it was perfect. My husband had three bowls. I will definitely make this again.

194 Rad October 26, 2015

Yum looks so delicious! So excited to try it. I like that you made homemade tortilla strips. This is excellent!

195 Kevin May 14, 2016

Recipe looks great, but too much text, too many pictures. Took me a while to find how many servings it’s for, and I couldn’t find how long it takes to prepare.

196 Jeanette September 5, 2016

I picked this recipe because you mentioned using the produce from your garden. I was out of cumin powder so I had to heat the cumin seeds until they popped then put them in my spice grinder. I used 2T of the cumin powder + 2T of a chili spice mix that had smoked paprika which is one of my favorite spices. I got a purple bell pepper at the farmers market on Sat. They have a flavor close to a green bell pepper. I used that with a red bell pepper. I used homemade tomato sauce I had just made too.

The one vegetable I had trouble growing was bell peppers. Yours look so amazing what have you used to make them grow so well or do you have a better climate than where I live? I live in CA and the temperature in June and July was between 90 and 106 more than the majority of the time. Thankfully Aug and Sep have had more days 80-85. Everything else I grew has done really well.

197 Ashley December 7, 2016

I was wondering if anything needed to be tweaked if I wanted to make this in a slow cooker?