Vegan Tortilla Soup

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 30, 2011

IMG_1300

Being a gardener in August is a wonderful thing.

Even for a Former Black Thumb! [Can I call myself a Former Black Thumb if I still kill indoor plants? I guess that is debatable…]

I now have enough organic kale to supply Whole Foods. ;)

IMG_1193

The sweetest tomatoes I’ve tasted!

IMG_1192

We’ve been enjoying toasted tomato basil sandwiches lately. Just toast some bread, spread on Earth Balance, layer on the fresh tomatoes and basil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Nothing beats it!

Spring onions:

IMG_1285

Gorgeous red peppers, soooo very sweet and crisp.

IMG_1197

and many that still haven’t turned colour yet.

IMG_1199

Banana Peppers too!

IMG_1287

I turned some of our garden bounty into a delicious tortilla soup last night. Eric strained his back doing renos on the weekend, so I figured a healing soup (and massage) was just what the doctor ordered. While I can’t say that I healed his back, it sure put a big smile on his face!

Sometimes, a smile and a huge bowl of tortilla soup is all that you can ask for.

IMG_1315

IMG_1311

The fresh corn added a sweet crispness to the soup. Much better than the canned variety!

IMG_1284

All the veggies sautéing…

IMG_1289

After adding the cumin, tomatoes, broth, and salt & pepper.

IMG_1291

This soups really shines with salt, pepper, a bit of crushed red pepper flakes, and Herbamare. I didn’t add chili peppers as Eric isn’t a fan of spicy food, but if I was making it for myself I would to give it a nice kick.

I also stirred in 2 tbsp of chia seeds to pack in more nutrition and thicken the broth slightly.

IMG_1292

While the soup was simmering, I made some tortilla strips by slicing up an Ezekiel tortilla and sprinkling on olive oil, chili powder, and garlic powder. I broiled it on medium heat for 3 minutes until golden and crisp. They tasted amazing!

IMG_1310

Your healing dinner is served, complete with Daiya cheese, fresh lime juice, chopped avocado, tortilla strips, Herbamare, pepper, and green onion!

IMG_1304

With a side of tortilla chips and salsa. :) I really wish we had some Food Should Taste Good Sweet Potato Chips instead of these white corn ones though. We have a little obsession with the FSTG chips lately, but we don’t buy them much because they are pricey.

IMG_1320

We both loved this soup! The best part is that we have plenty of leftovers to enjoy for quick lunches this week. You can also freeze it for up to a month if you desire.

I just realized that I meant to add kale into this soup too! Oops.

IMG_1313

Let the transition from Summer into Fall begin…

Don’t forget you have until tomorrow to enter my Lululemon giveaway!

Nicole August 30, 2011 at 11:18 am

Yummm! I love soup and it makes me excited that soup weather is just around the corner! PS: I’m jealous of your kale garden!

Estela @ Weekly Bite August 30, 2011 at 11:18 am

Tortilla soup is a favorite of mine. I love all those fresh veggies!!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 30, 2011 at 11:24 am

I love traditional tortilla soup but pick out the chicken because I am not a fan. I have GOT to make this.

Christina @ According To C August 30, 2011 at 11:25 am

Super jealous of your red peppers! They look spectacular!

Noelle August 30, 2011 at 11:27 am

This sounds very seasonally delicious! All those veggies! Yum!

Moni'sMeals August 30, 2011 at 11:28 am

First of all, your veggies are stunning!! This might be the best soup ever because of them, is what I say!
I will for sure be making this soon especially when the weather out here cools down. I love tortilla soup but it is so rare to get it without all loaded cheese and chicken. This is my kind of tortilla soup for sure! and…

those tortilla sticks, YUM!

Kathryn August 30, 2011 at 11:28 am

We’ve been making tomato basil zucchini paninis with a little dayia. So yummy. Tomato basil is the best! This soup looks great!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 11:35 am

oh wow that sounds good!

Liz @ Southern Charm August 30, 2011 at 11:28 am

Oh wow! Those fresh veggies are calling my name! Loved that you made a soup of them :)

And your tomato basil sandwich sounds amazing as well. I think it may be lunch time …

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove August 30, 2011 at 11:29 am

Oo I love this! It’s starting to get chilly at night so a warm soup like this is perfect! Plus, we can grab some zucchini and tomatoes from the garden in our backyard!

The Purple Carrot August 30, 2011 at 11:30 am

I had my first cup of hot tea this morning in a long time. I’m ready for the transition!

Carissa August 30, 2011 at 11:30 am

Our kale crop looks about like yours. It’s invincible! We had high winds with Irene and everything else was blowing all around (we had to re-plant a few pepper plants – let’s hope they pull through!) but the kale just stood there, not moving. We think a little chipmunk took refuge in there because later that day we saw him creeping out.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 11:36 am

awww!!! Poor lil animals and plants. I hope your pepper plants rebound. I can’t get over how easy the pepper and kale plants were to grow. I didn’t have to do much!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots August 30, 2011 at 11:31 am

Your garden looks great! I haven’t had much success this year. Next year, I’m determined. Did you put an irrigation system in yours or do you water it by hand every day? P.S. That soup looks divine. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 11:37 am

I initially watered it by hand (and it took forever each day!), but Eric bought me one of those cheapo sprinklers for $10 and I just water it with that. We’ve been getting a lot more rain this month so I haven’t had to water much thankfully…not like July!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots August 30, 2011 at 11:50 am

How nice of him! :-) I’ve been watering mine by hand and it does take a good chunk out of my morning….and it doesn’t help that we are in a water deficit here in South Carolina. Poor garden. :-) So jealous of yours!

Jessica August 30, 2011 at 11:31 am

Mmmm sound delish! Wow! that is a lot of kale! Maybe for some Green Monsters???

Jenny @ Simply Be...me August 30, 2011 at 11:34 am

Chia seeds to thicken soup – brilliant! Our kale stopped growing long ago and it was a sad day when I had to pull the plants. Now if only the tomatoes would start to ripen I would be a happy girl.

Michelle August 30, 2011 at 11:35 am

You’re totally a former black thumb. That is one killer garden! The colors of tortilla soup are just so beautiful!

Suzie August 30, 2011 at 11:35 am

Your food is amazing, your recipes have really inspired me in my eating disorder recovery! I may blog some cooks using a few of your gluten free sometime!! X

Lauren August 30, 2011 at 11:38 am

Last night I was LITERALLY craving one of my friend’s recipe called Taco Soup- but I was wishing for a vegan version of it.. I am so excited to try this!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) August 30, 2011 at 11:39 am

last week i made soup of out veggies from the garden too. oh my gosh, so delicious. i love using most of my ingredients right from the backyard! can’t beat it :) now i just need an avocado tree and i would be set…

Sarah with Veggie Kids August 30, 2011 at 11:43 am

Wow, you’re like a real, professional gardener now!! Your veggies look so great. I’m working on my kale as we speak but they’re still too little to pick. It’s just so rewarding when the things you plant actually grow-haha! Love the tortilla soup recipe too-I haven’t had tortilla soup since before I went vegan so thanks for the great idea!

Marisa @ Mind Over Booty August 30, 2011 at 11:46 am

OMG! I’m obsessed with tortilla soup and have such a hard time finding vegetarian versions. I cannot wait to try this recipe!

tweal August 30, 2011 at 11:46 am

Yep that looks totally delicious and perfect for fall – soupy and warm but filled with summer’s bounty. I so wish I had a garden, I would love to grow my own veg.

OSGMOM August 30, 2011 at 11:46 am

Perfect timing for a soup recipe. Our gorgeous 31c or 87F weather changed overnight and we’re expecting a high of 12C or 53F today :( However, this soup recipe has cheered me up & I look forward to making it. Love the photos of your veggies — you should be very proud that your hard work and persistence have filled your kitchen with lots of healthy veggies — you’ve got a Green thumb now!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Oh man were your ears burning because I was just telling Margaret that your weather goes from hot to 12 degrees overnight…guess I wasn’t too far off!

Christina August 30, 2011 at 11:48 am

Perfect soup for the fall weather that seems to be steadily creeping in! I love any soup with tomatoes, I’m all about harty vegetable soups

[email protected] August 30, 2011 at 11:50 am

I love tortilla soup! This looks so good!!! thanks for posting!YUM

Bev Weidner August 30, 2011 at 11:51 am

Every single thing that I just looked at was like heroin for my eyeballs.

YUM.

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 30, 2011 at 11:53 am

The soup looks incredible — and it must feel so good to have grown the veggies in there as well!

I hope Eric feels better soon. Jason has had plenty of days where his back is just killing him.

Julie August 30, 2011 at 11:53 am

Such gorg colors! Autumn is my absolute favorite season and I am welcoming it with open arms! I said that I wanted to kick the last few days of summer off my calendar. This recipe makes me wants to come stay at your house all fall!

The Teenage Taste August 30, 2011 at 11:53 am

Oh the joys of having your own garden. Every Summer my Dad and I plant a veggie garden in the backyard. I swear, home-grown veggies taste 10x better than the kind you can buy at the store! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm

They really do…I wasn’t sure how they’d taste, but it is true that they are sweeter and more flavourful!

Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission August 30, 2011 at 11:55 am

I love all the vegetables growing in my garden right now at an alarming rate… it makes it so easy to make all these healthy recipes! The soup looks delicious. I should definitely grow kale next year too

Bee Goes Bananas August 30, 2011 at 11:56 am

I read your blog through Google Reader and this is the first time I’ve look at your new page header. So cute!! I love it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Aww thanks!

Alexis (hummusapien) August 30, 2011 at 11:57 am

That soup looks delicious! What a great way to use all your garden goodies. I’m so jealous of all the kale!! Green monsters are calling…. :)

Sweet and Savvy August 30, 2011 at 11:59 am

Wow! This looks so good! I love that it is veganized:)

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes August 30, 2011 at 12:00 pm

This looks so yummy!
I LOVE all the fresh produce you used! What a great way to get lots of veggies. Inspires me to do better about gardening! And your pictures are beautiful!!

Cait's Plate August 30, 2011 at 12:03 pm

The colors are just INCREDIBLE. And I adore that spoon.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Thanks Cait :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 30, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Love the idea of using chia in this! I’d probably add a few chipotles too – they are my new addiction. :)

elizabeth August 30, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Looks so good! I’ll have to make this sometime this week/weekend.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 30, 2011 at 12:07 pm

This looks beautiful Ange, and I think you’ve done an AMAZING job with your garden this summer!! How rewarding! Love the photos and the bright pops of colour. Oh, and I hope Eric is ok!! :)

LizAshlee August 30, 2011 at 12:08 pm

What a great recipe!! The photos of produce look amazing!! I love tomato sandwiches and with basil…mmm good! :) I think you can definitely say you were a black thumb..you have went above and beyond with the produce from your garden! :)

Happy Tuesday!

Blog is the New Black August 30, 2011 at 12:16 pm

This looks wonderful! Can’t wait for the weather to cool down a bit more!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 30, 2011 at 12:19 pm

That’s so great that you have a garden! It’s fun and saves money! Not for me though… Haha not enough space in my studio apartment…

Heather (heathers dish) August 30, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Heaven! Nothin tastes better than something you created from the ground up!

Lori August 30, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Chopped cilantro on top:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm

yes that would have been lovely too!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious August 30, 2011 at 12:33 pm

This looks amazing!! Your pictures are beautiful — the veggies are so bright and colourful!

Tracie Pollard August 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Have you ever frozen this afterwards?? I know the tortilla strips should be fresh each time, but when I make soup I love to make enough for several meals and I was just curious.
-Tracie

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 4:14 pm

yes it can be frozen (without toppings) for up to 1 month. :)

Denise Wright August 30, 2011 at 12:37 pm

yum!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meghan F. August 30, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Your garden looks BEAUTIFUL! I’m inspired for next year…

Laura August 30, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Your photography is stunning! Loook at those vibrant colours!
Yes, I know its fall when sbucks bringsout the pumpkin lattes

Ashley August 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I am soooo impressed with your garden. Seriously!!! And you give me such hope for next summer!!! You probably could supply veggie boxes to your neighbors, haha! This soup looks veggie-tastic and you can SEE how much flavor is in the broth. Definitely need to make this. Hope Eric is feeling better soon..poor guy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I know your garden is going to be amazing!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 30, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Yum! Kale would taste fantastic with this, but it looks great anyhow. Congrats on the new green thumb haha :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 30, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I will definitely be making this! Tortilla soup is and old fav but, I feel like everytime I order it out it disappoints. On another note- have you been able to keep up (eat) with all that gorgeous produce from your garden? You must be eating A LOT of kale!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I’ve been eating kale almost every day, but still can’t keep up so I’ve been giving it away to spread the love. :) I’m freezing it for the winter too.

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites August 30, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Holy Moly! I am so impressed with how far your garden has come Angela! You have clearly put a lot of love into it :) It must be incredibly gratifying to just grab your own veggies to incorporate into all your creative and delicious meals! There are community gardens here in Boston but I don’t think that’s the same. Hopefully someday Ill have a gahden of my own! ;)

Beth August 30, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Tortilla soup is my favorite! I hope it cools down here soon to bring out the soup pot. I don’t want to be eating soup when it’s still 100 degrees out! Can’t wait to try it! BTW: I made the chocolate chunk toffee bars last night for my husband and he loved them. I also made the lightened-up summer granola for myself to bring to work for a snack.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Glad the bars were enjoyed :)

100 degrees still? Ouch!

JenATX August 30, 2011 at 1:03 pm

it’s been so fun watching your garden transition over the months.. thanks for sharing with us :)

Liz @ Something To Chew On August 30, 2011 at 1:13 pm

This looks AWESOME! It may be hot and schweaty here today, but now you’ve got me craving a bowl!

Alexa @ Simple Eats August 30, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I love a soup filled with Mexican flavors…it always tastes so fresh!

Deb Lee August 30, 2011 at 1:39 pm

In case anyone is interested, there’s a $1 coupon for those chips you mentioned (by “Food Should Taste Good”) ~ I’ve never tried the chips, but I’m going to try them alongside your soup. : D

Deb Lee August 30, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Oh, I should have said the coupon is on the company’s website: http://www.foodshouldtastegood.com/flavors.html#/home/ (under ‘special offers’ or by clicking the little thingy at the bottom-you’ll see it)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 1:56 pm

oh cool thanks!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama August 30, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Your garden is amazing! So impressive. I made some veggie tortilla soup last week, too, and I agree that it is a perfect transition into fall soup.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 30, 2011 at 1:51 pm

The tortilla soup looks soooo good!

When Scott and I were first dating (this was the dark ages, like 12+ yrs ago b/c we’ve been married 10+) I would “humor him” and go to TGIFriday’s restaurant and watch the football games on their satellite TVs b/c they got games there that we couldnt get at home…and the only thing that kept me sitting thru those football games were tortilla soup. And lots of vodka :)

But I LOVE tortilla soup! And cute black placemat…colors are perfect for the soup. Nice propping :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Thanks Averie :)

Stefanie August 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm

First off, your soup looks tasty. Your garden loot is stunning. It is rewarding to be able to eat your own veggies/fruits. Hopefully you continue to garden.

Beach Bum Beauty August 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you are a genius! I was thinking the other day that I don’t want bread with my soup or croutons but I miss something along these lines so tortilla strips is it :-)

Maria August 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I love fresh veggies from the garden :-) Your pictures (and soup) look very pretty and colorful!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy August 30, 2011 at 2:36 pm

This looks amazing! Fabulous pictures! Its a rainy day here in MN and soup sounds so good!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh August 30, 2011 at 2:41 pm

That looks like heaven! I’m SO ready for soup/chili season! I’d dive right in but we’re headed for a warm up back into the 90’s just in time for my birthday. :-( It’s time for changing leaves, pumpkin anything and indian corn! Bring it!

Brittany @ Runwithbritt August 30, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I think I’m in heaven! Tortilla soup is my favorite and I can’t wait to make this vegan alternative! It looks delicious!

val August 30, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Can’t wait to try the recipe. What I beautiful garden–you’ve inspired me to add kale to my garden next year. Love the new banner & the honeymoon pics.

jen August 30, 2011 at 2:55 pm

that soup looks incredible! if i had power in my house i would whip it up immediately!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 4:15 pm

hope your power comes back on soon!

Katrina August 30, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Love this! I was searching something along these lines recently. So yummy!

Heather @ Better With Veggies August 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Your veggies look gorgeous! I’m having mixed results this year, but this is the first year we’ve had an honest-to-goodness vegetable garden. My Kale didn’t make it, our heirloom tomatoes are doing great (just slower producing than I would like), pole beans have been pretty good (but still not as many as expected) and we’ve only had 1 pepper from 5 plants. Maybe there’s still hope and we’ll get a good later harvest. Enjoy your veggies!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 30, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Your garden is beautiful!! This soup looks delicious…I wish I had it right now! I have a terrible cold and this sounds amazing.

Kathy August 30, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Awh, that’s nice to treat Eric to a good massage and vegan tortilla soup!! The recipe looks divine, by the way ;)

Heather Colby August 30, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Sounds good. This time of year I’m always looking for something to use up tomatoes.

Sandra Kohlmann August 30, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Mmm…that soup looks so yummy. I will remember your recipe for my menu next week. I envy your garden. I had a back injury this past spring, which killed our garden plans. I am so antsy to be growing veggies that I’m already planning our garden for next year!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race August 30, 2011 at 3:38 pm

This looks really good! Yum. Yum!! :P

Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather August 30, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Your garden is BOOMING! this looks so very comforting Angela.

VeggieGirl August 30, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Wow, what a beautiful crop of kale, im so jealous!

Jamie @ CollegeGirlCooking August 30, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Looks absolutely delish! I love tortilla soup!

Erin August 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Looks fantastic! BTW, they sell the FSTG multigrain chips in big bags & boxes of the snack-size bags at Costco. Makes my addiction a little more affordable :)))

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 4:16 pm

ahhhh really? In Canadian Costco too?

Erin August 30, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Yep, at least here in Calgary ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I’m way too excited over this. I think I have a problem. heh

Erin August 30, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Lol – I feel like an enabler hahaha!

Alexandra Schuchter August 30, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Even at 118 degrees here in Phoenix, this looks too delicious to wait till Winter!

Carolyn August 30, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Good gods, this looks tasty. I am going to “suggest” to my boyfriend that he and I make it. ~^

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 30, 2011 at 4:32 pm

how very wonderful!

Helga August 30, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Angela, I love your recipes! Sometimes it’s difficult (I live in Germany so some ingredients are hard to get/I don’t know them and I have to convert temperatures and measurements) but it’s worth the effort. SV chickpeas, Hummus, buckwheat porridge, cookie dough balls [!!!], you name it, I love it :)
Your veggies look delish and your photography is great. I’m drooling over my keyboard ;)

Kristen Lessl August 30, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Hi! Just fyi for all of you Food Should Taste Good lovers out there – if you go to their website (www.foodshouldtastegood.com), at the bottom of the page you can get $1 off coupon! Also, this soup looks fantastic – my tomatoes are just starting to ripen so I will be making this soon!

Deb Lee August 31, 2011 at 10:20 am

Yeah, I was excited to see that too ($1 is $1, right?!), but the coupon is only valid in the U.S. ~ too bad for those of us who are in Canada (or elsewhere!).

Fran {The Flavorful Fork} August 30, 2011 at 5:24 pm

What a beautiful garden! I am truly impressed. You must be
feeling like kale is coming out of your ears at this point! :) The tortilla soup looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen August 30, 2011 at 5:54 pm

This just looks phenomenallll.

kathleen August 30, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Your veggies from your garden look delish. I’m glad someone else like tomato basil sandwiches like I do. My husband thinks I’m crazy when I eat that for lunch. You have inspired me to start a garden next year. I’m sire the hard work has paid off

Catherine August 30, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Angela – Great recipe! Just made a batch and it simmering on the stove top now. Do I add the black beans after it simmers to just warm them up or should I have added them with the tomatoes or am I missing it in the recipe because I am tired after a long long day at a job I hate?//

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl August 30, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I’m SUPER jealous of your long- lasting kale supply. My neighbor has a garden full of kale similar to yours and every time I walk by their house, I want to snip it all of, hehe :) Guess I should grow my own!
Tortilla soup looks delicious, esp for a brisk fall coming up!

Karen August 30, 2011 at 8:00 pm

love the green monsters and all of the great recipes. Keep up the great work!

Sam August 30, 2011 at 8:02 pm

haha I just had a vegan enchilada with FSTG sweet potato chips! So good!!!! Especially after a hard tennis practice :P

jackie hatch! August 30, 2011 at 8:18 pm

You are definitely a fall person!!!! This looks so yummy I can’t wait to try it! I’m attempting a vegetable garden next spring Yours is awesome! :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty August 30, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Would you stop making such tasty recipes! My list of things to make is loading up way to fast! I can’t keep up.

Tracy August 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

So jealous of your garden, and this looks so yummy and easy to make :) Thanks for sharing!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 30, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Now that the evenings are getting colder, I’m definitely craving soup more. Hearty recipes with beans and lots of veggies are my favourite! I’m bookmarking this to make soon. :D

ashley @ cooking for john August 30, 2011 at 9:21 pm

yes! i want!! definitely making this soon, thank you!!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 30, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Yum! Soups are the only reason I am looking forward to cooler temperatures! :)

Sarah August 30, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Mm.. that sandwich sounds great. (Soup looks good too :D)
My favorite way to enjoy tomatoes is on a piece of french bread slathered in mayo (or the equivalent vegan alternative) and topped with a tomato and salt and pepper. Yum yum yum.

Marijke August 31, 2011 at 3:57 am

Oh wow this looks amazing and I love the colours!!!

Casey Thomas August 31, 2011 at 4:34 am

I make an amazing raw tortilla soup and it’s so good! Lots of fresh corn shaved off the cob at the end and tons of fresh basil. Yum!

Manderley August 31, 2011 at 6:33 am

Hummm must be sooo good, I’ll do.

xo

Heather McWhorter August 31, 2011 at 6:36 am

Oh I am so jealous of your amazing kale!!! I wish I lived in a house that had enough room in the backyard for a garden. But alas – I suppose I will have to wait… Looks lovely!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 31, 2011 at 6:57 am

It IS wonderful being a gardener this time of year! My garden got fried this summer (8 weeks of no rain and 100+ degrees) but as soon as August hit the weather cooled, my plants revived and my fall crops went in.

I need to make tomato sandwiches more!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) August 31, 2011 at 6:59 am

This looks awesome! I used to love tortilla soup with chicken, I’ll need to try this!! xo

Leslie August 31, 2011 at 7:06 am

I’m printing off your soup recipe right now and going to make this for dinner! I really appreciate you telling us how to season the tortila chips (I’m not creative when it comes to spices and I believe your spices will kick the soup up the extra notch)…tks!

Molly @ RDexposed August 31, 2011 at 7:10 am

We’ve been doing garden san marzano, garden basil and mozzarella sandwiches. Every bite is like heaven!! What will we do in the winter??

Alaina August 31, 2011 at 7:28 am

I so want to have a garden when I get a house! To be able to make a dish as delicious looking as yours with items from your own backyard must be a great feeling. :-)

Maria @ Orchard Bloom August 31, 2011 at 7:39 am

This looks delicious. Also, I love the new blog header. I haven’t been online in a while, when did you change it?

melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day August 31, 2011 at 8:17 am

yum!

Carol August 31, 2011 at 8:26 am

The produce from your garden looks amazing!! I am so envious!! I tried square foot gardening this year (a little apprehensive bc I too have a black thumb) but the weather in Alberta did not co-operate this spring/summer, so I am left with alien looking tomatoes and a bushy zucchini plant with no fruit..:( Your Vegan Tortilla Soup looks yummy!! Off to market I go!!

Sarah S. August 31, 2011 at 9:07 am

Oh, my GOSH girl! Your food photos always make me hungry! I’ve realized that rather than deleting your blog subscription e-mails, I keep filing them day-in-and-day-out in my “recipes to try” e-mail folder, LOL! That folder is totally filled with almost every day of your blog, oops! I ought to get cooking!

[email protected] August 31, 2011 at 9:10 am

Thanks for veggifying a delicious traditional recipe! Can’t wait to try it.

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner August 31, 2011 at 10:36 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE tortilla soup…… and this looks great!! Can’t wait to try it!!
Love the photos of your garden too :)

Meg @ Maknwaves August 31, 2011 at 11:20 am

We just made a TON of homemade sauce with all of our ripened tomatoes. August is definitely the best month for gardeners! I have also recently started to get my craving for soups back with Fall approaching. This is definitely going to be one of the first ones I make once it gets a little cooler :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner August 31, 2011 at 11:36 am

ABsolutely GORGEOUS!!!

Willow August 31, 2011 at 11:46 am

This looks and sounds amazing! I wonder if I can find the time to make it tomorrow night… I have a stray ear of corn I don’t know what to do with. :)

Amber K August 31, 2011 at 11:49 am

After trying FSTG chips I haven’t had any other kinds! Way too good. Although I really miss their Potato & Chive flavor. But The Works!! is a good substitute.

Alex @ Raw Recovery August 31, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Looks delicious! I always loved tortilla soup but many weren’t vegan. All I would need to complete this recipe is a vegan and non-processed version of sour cream!

Kathy August 31, 2011 at 12:32 pm

The soup looks so yummy, I am going to have to try making it. Your garden also looks so lovely. We have gardened our entire lives and don’t have produce that nice looking. lol I have six lush pepper plants and only two peppers growing. What’s up with that?? We do have some nice looking tomatoes, but not much else to speak of. We did get seven voluntary plants that came up from our compost pile. I transplanted them to a nicer location. They all turned out to be cantelope plants. And i have about 6 beautiful cantelopes that I hope to pick within the month.

[email protected] August 31, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I think it is so ridiculous that you posted this today! I literally JUST mentioned last night as I was making your cheese sauce, ” I bet this would be good in a tortilla soup or something….I should make one” You’re awesome! I need to try this, I had a tortilla soup at Cracker Barrel once and it was delish…but probably not awesome for you! ; )

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Oh that’s funny because when I made it I wished I had cheeze sauce to drizzle over top!

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen August 31, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I love love love tortilla soup. What a good way to get a bunch of veggies in one meal!

michelle August 31, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I am SO jealous! You’re garden looks beautiful and making soup is the perfect way to appreciate it.

Laureen September 1, 2011 at 2:03 am

Your veggies look amazing. Makes me wish I had a garden of my own. I’ve never had tortilla soup but I’m going to have try your recipe because it looks and sounds delish!

[email protected] September 1, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I’m so jealous of your vegetables! At least now that i’m in whistler I have access to lots of pemberton goodies at the farmer’s markets twice a week. You should try sautéed kale in your smoothies (especially when it’s made with garlic and herbs), it’s delish!

Dawn September 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I made this soup just last night and it’s already all gone (I do confess that I added a bit of chicken and used chicken broth) – it has such a robust taste and my husband and I both really, really enjoyed it. Thanks for your recipes – keep up the good work! :)

Mandy Sit September 1, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I am in loveee with this post!! Your garden looks beautiful and I am inspired to make this LOTS for fall. Thank you so much for your recipes and photos. You really brighten up my food ideas and work day!

Holly September 1, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Wow, you must save a fortune on groceries! I am literally salivating over the veggie pics :) I laughed when I read your tomato basil sandwiches because my hubby and I eat a version on the reg. We call it, eh hem, “sex in your mouth sandwich” haha It is with tomato and basil but also spinach, pesto, daiya and I toast the bread with hummus instead of butter. I know your love for hummus, so you may enjoy it. Thanks for all the work you do, I love your recipes!

Tanya September 2, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I’m drooling at the sight of your kale. I’m SO jealous!!! Can I have some? ;)

Erin September 2, 2011 at 7:10 pm

This soup looks delicious. I am a soup fiend!
I am also super jealous of your peppers, the only one we had make it was itty bitty and the dog keeps digging them up! But yours look so good they give me hope!

TLC September 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm

OMG! This looks sooooo good.

Willow September 4, 2011 at 10:57 am

Hey! I made this the other day and it is so awesome – I still have enough left over for lunch today (if I can hold off until lunch). I’ve never had tortilla soup before, but this was fantastic!

Just a heads up, I made a post about it and linked back to you for the recipe. Credit where credit is due!

-Willow

Katherine September 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I have a huge crush on your Kale patch!!

Heidi September 5, 2011 at 9:48 am

This looks like the perfect fall comfort food!

Katie September 6, 2011 at 11:14 am

Oh my goodness I am in LOVE with this soup. I made a batch this weekend and it tasted amazing (i’m eating the leftovers for lunch right now :) ). Thanks Angela!!

[email protected] September 13, 2011 at 11:35 am

MM, I have this cooking in the crockpot as I write this! Looks amazing, I love tortilla soup, I had it at cracker barrel one time years ago and still think about how yummy it was. I am SURE this is way healthier though! haha

Kasey Sanders September 20, 2011 at 8:07 am

Thank you for this recipe – it was easy to make and very tasty! I think the beans are missing from the actual instructions, but it is obvious enough when to add them in.

Thanks again for this delicious idea and congrats on your gorgeous garden!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 20, 2011 at 8:48 am

Oh thanks for pointing that out, I added it in! Im glad you liked the recipe too :)

Maria September 5, 2012 at 9:51 am

Dear Angela,

I still can’t find a line saying when to put in the beans (unfortunately, for me it is not obvious enough)…

This is a dream recipe! I absolutely fell in love with lime soup in Yucatán (Mexico) a couple of years ago, but it’s always filled with chicken or non-vegan ingredients. Will try this one! After you tell me when to put in the beans ;) I don’t want to overcook them or add them cold if that’s not the idea – sorry, not enough experience yet in cooking with beans!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 5, 2012 at 11:56 am

Hi maria, Sorry about that! I added it into line #3 in the directions.

Andrea September 30, 2012 at 7:22 am

Hey Angela, I made this soup last night and it is tasty! However, I used the directions on your recipage instead of this post and it didn’t have the beans in the directions on that page. I didn’t realize that I’d forgot to put them in until we were half way through dinner! At least I can just stir them into my leftovers when I reheat them :) Just thought I’d let you know the beans are missing from that page though! Have a great Sunday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 30, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Oh sorry about that, I will take a look!!

Emily October 5, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I’m trying this recipe in the crockpot right now- I’ll let you know how it turns out tonight!

Susanne September 5, 2012 at 10:27 am

I love Mexican tortilla soup, so thank you for this vegan one.

Melinda September 5, 2012 at 7:55 pm

This recipe was perfect inspiration for my harvest out of the garden today. It was delicious!

Lisa September 23, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I just finished preparing and eating this soup. WOW WOW WOW. I will be adding this in quite regularly :) Thank you for this amazing recipe, I can not wait to try many others.

Melissa October 1, 2012 at 7:36 am

I think between this recipe and the vegan enchiladas, I am quickly converting my fiance over to vegetarian/vegan! I’m a big fan of that. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

I love the idea of adding kale and happen to have a huge amount leftover from a pesto I made over the weekend. If you were to add kale to this soup, where would you recommend? (I’m thinking right before the beans….)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 1, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I’d probably add it just before the beans too…it wouldnt need to cook for long, 5 mins or just enough to wilt. goodluck!

darlene October 3, 2012 at 10:44 am

I made this soup last week and it was so good I ate the leftovers for two days. The only thing I will change next time is put less cumin, 3tbsp was super strong (ok for me but too much for my daughter) , I will put half that next time. The lime,tortilla strips,cheese and avocado toppings made this soup close to perfect :)

Lomena October 9, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I just made this now and couln’t wait until dinner, it’s absolutely delicious – yum yum! Thanks so much for the recipe – it’s a keeper!

jj November 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Hi Angela!

I was just curious why you note that this can only be frozen a month. I discovered a batch of this recipe in the freezer from last winter and I would love to re-heat and blend with an immersion blender. Do you think this would be a bad idea?

Thanks!

JJ

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 27, 2012 at 9:25 am

Id say go for it! I think I just assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that it would be freezer burned after 1 month. Maybe I am not storing my soups properly. Let me know if you try it!

Corrie November 28, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I still have my umbilical cord attached I am such a new vegan. 4 months to be exact. But I love it. I am starting a website to chronicle my weight loss with my new found veganism. But I tell you, I keep on eating the AMAZING recipes you have on this site, I may not lose weight. This was one of my favorite so far. Just the amazingly wonderful flavors amplified by all the wonderful fresh veggies. Thank you for all the work you put into to your site. I am learning it is a crap ton of work. I hope some day to be half the blogger/culinary artist you are. Thank you, again.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2012 at 9:04 am

Hey Corrie, Thank you so much for your lovely comment! That means so much to me. Goodluck with everything.

Christina December 5, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Ok, so seriously, this is the BEST Tortilla Soup I have EVER had! Wow, this blew my mind. I am going to have to make it every week. And adding the chia seeds made it the most perfect consistency! Great job and thanks for sharing!!! :)

talia December 30, 2012 at 1:28 am

today is my first day of veganism…and this was the first vegan meal i ate..thank you was delicious

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 31, 2012 at 9:54 am

Congrats Talia!

Natalie May 15, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Made this for dinner last night, delish!! Love all the chunky veg in it. I will def make this one again and again. Thanks for sharing all your great recipes!!

Leah June 16, 2013 at 11:00 am

Do you think I could make this in my crock pot?

Thanks!

Corinne September 16, 2013 at 12:12 am

This was soooooooo good. New favorite!

Carol October 8, 2013 at 10:55 am

I made this last night and it was fantastic! We had fresh peppers to use from our CSA so I used those instead of the bell peppers and canned chilies. I added a couple handfuls of kale at the end with kidney beans instead of the black beans, left out the zucchini, and added a spoonful of our homemade habanero hot sauce. Most recipes I have found for tortilla soup were blended, but I was craving something brothy with more texture. Thank your for the recipe!

Sean M November 5, 2013 at 9:55 am

Looks like you missed the black beans. They’re listed in the ingredients but not in the instructions.

Stephanie April 17, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Haha I forgot to add them in there and it still tasted amazing

Linda March 2, 2014 at 9:02 pm

I made this for my vegan daughter and chicken noodle for those who wanted meat. There was a lot of chicken noodle soup left over, while this soup was almost entirely gone. YUMMY!!

Kelley April 16, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Just made this and wow! This is so delicious! Thank you for an amazing recipe :)

talia Ernest April 20, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I made this soup and used “crushed tomatoes” which made it into a tomato base. I am wondering if you mean’t chopped tomatoes. It tasted more like a chili, a good one, but not quite what I was expecting.

Jessica Lauren DeBry June 6, 2014 at 2:40 am

This is one of my favorite recipes from your site! It really hits the spot. I like to throw a HUGE scoop of guacamole on top!

Maggie Wilson August 7, 2014 at 6:38 pm

It’s been a wonky season. Crop failure in the chili pepper beds and only one zucchini so far. It took pride of place in this recipe today. It’s cool enough for soup, and it was easy and delicious. Thanks!

melissa August 24, 2014 at 8:08 am

Sounds delish! Love your site Where do you live that your garden grows so well?

Amber October 13, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I absolutely LOVE this soup. My husband loved it also!! Will make again and again!!! Thanks so much!

Stephanie April 17, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Omg just made this it was fantastic!

Amy Love May 15, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Just made this a few nights ago with my husband and we both LOVED it! This is a definite addition to our soup menu!

A noticed some omissions in the directions which is fine but for newer cooks a few notes:
-We added the green chiles at the same time as the canned tomatoes since it did not specify.
+We cut up additional green onions to garnish since it did not specify “divided”

Modifications:
-We used a 4 oz can and used canned jalapenos instead for added heat.
-We used vegan chicken broth so it would be more like a chicken tortilla soup and DOUBLED the broth to 6 cups total.
-My husband hates corn (WEIRDO) so I just chopped up extra veggies.
-We garnished with some cilantro as well :)

Tammy August 3, 2015 at 11:16 pm

I made this soup tonight and it was fantastic. I was out of zucchini but I had small butternut squash on hand and it was perfect. My husband had three bowls. I will definitely make this again.

Rad October 26, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Yum looks so delicious! So excited to try it. I like that you made homemade tortilla strips. This is excellent!

Kevin May 14, 2016 at 7:34 pm

Recipe looks great, but too much text, too many pictures. Took me a while to find how many servings it’s for, and I couldn’t find how long it takes to prepare.

Jeanette September 5, 2016 at 10:45 pm

I picked this recipe because you mentioned using the produce from your garden. I was out of cumin powder so I had to heat the cumin seeds until they popped then put them in my spice grinder. I used 2T of the cumin powder + 2T of a chili spice mix that had smoked paprika which is one of my favorite spices. I got a purple bell pepper at the farmers market on Sat. They have a flavor close to a green bell pepper. I used that with a red bell pepper. I used homemade tomato sauce I had just made too.

The one vegetable I had trouble growing was bell peppers. Yours look so amazing what have you used to make them grow so well or do you have a better climate than where I live? I live in CA and the temperature in June and July was between 90 and 106 more than the majority of the time. Thankfully Aug and Sep have had more days 80-85. Everything else I grew has done really well.

Ashley December 7, 2016 at 12:56 pm

I was wondering if anything needed to be tweaked if I wanted to make this in a slow cooker?

Mandy June 6, 2017 at 4:55 pm

I made this soup last night and it was fabulous! The only change I made was to double the beans to make it a little hardier. We also used Scotch Bonnet salt. I’ve eaten 3 bowls of this today! I don’t miss the chicken at all. Yummy!

Jen January 21, 2018 at 7:49 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to confirm it is 3 Tablespoons of cumin?

Jen

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 22, 2018 at 7:22 am

Hey Jen,
I too am a bit shocked it says 3 tablespoons…to be honest, it’s been a loooong time since I’ve made this recipe! I’ll have to test it again. In the meantime I would suggest adding the cumin to taste, maybe in 1 teaspoon increments? Hope this helps :)