Honeymoon Photography: Kusadasi, Turkey

Next up, on our honeymoon is Kusadasi, Turkey.

Previous stops: Venice & Athens

IMG 3765 thumb   Honeymoon Photography: Kusadasi, Turkey

Boasting over 300 sunny days a year, we weren’t surprised to be greeted by a beautiful bright blue sky and a warm morning that quickly rose to 30 degrees Celsius.

IMG 3769 thumb   Honeymoon Photography: Kusadasi, Turkey

Kusadasi lies on the West coast of Turkey and has a population of just 50,000; however the population is much greater during the summer when tourists arrive. The Taxi driver we spoke with said that he makes enough money in the summer (working as a Taxi driver) to take the rest of the year off work! He said they have a very relaxed lifestyle, with ample traveling, and lots of family time. Eric and I thought it was such a stark contrast to the typical North American lifestyle which is often based around working and material things, with little family time and travel opportunities.

We strolled around the market and the locals not only spoke English well, but they were very friendly (and very persistent!). I bought a couple unique looking tanks tops and Eric a couple t-shirts.

IMG 9012 thumb   Honeymoon Photography: Kusadasi, Turkey

Well, I thought they were unique until I saw the same ones at every clothing stand along the way!

IMG 4163 thumb   Honeymoon Photography: Kusadasi, Turkey

After browsing the market, we took a taxi to Ephesus, which is a city with quite a ‘rocky’ history filled with culture and architecture. Ephesus is famous for the Temple of Artemis- one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient Word. Sadly, it was destroyed in 401 AD. Later on in 614 AD, much of the town was also destroyed by an Earthquake.

IMG 4051 thumb   Honeymoon Photography: Kusadasi, Turkey

Similar to Athens, we saw a lot of strays which were the most friendly of all the strays we came across along our travels. The cats wanted lots of rubs and attention much like domestic cats. We couldn’t get over how tame they were, but I guess they are used to lots of tourists being around. We wanted to take them all home…I’m sure Sketchie would have loved them. ;)

IMG 3810 thumb   Honeymoon Photography: Kusadasi, Turkey

For the rest of our pictures, see the album below!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 27, 2011

I’ve been to Kusadasi on a greek island cruise that also stopped there. That market was intense! Full of great things but as being there with just a group of women (at 19) was kind of overwhelming!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2011

I could definitely see that!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 27, 2011

How gorgeous! I am headed to Italy in a month, but the next international trip is going to be a tough choice between France, Turkey and Hungry, and Greece. So many places to see!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 27, 2011

I’ve never been to Turkey, but after seeing these beautiful photos its definitely on my list!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 27, 2011

I hate when sellers are so persistent, I just want to browse without hassle! That was a serious problem for me in Tunisia.

Those ruins look amazing! :)

Amanda August 27, 2011

Beautiful pics! I love Turkey, I’ve been there so often (17 times). It’s so gorgeous and the people are so nice. Love the food also! Wow, that cat in pic 16 is HUGE! When you’ve got the opportunity you should visit Northern Europe as well, it’s beautiful as well but in a different way.

Moni'sMeals August 27, 2011

Beautiful trip! I never realized how stunning Turkey is. :)

I will see you in Kusadasiou!! sign me up please!

Cait's Plate August 27, 2011

Absolutely breathtaking. What an incredible honeymoon you guys got to have. I would love to do something similar and see all the places I possibly can!

Amanda @ bakingwithoutabox August 27, 2011

Stunning! What an incredible adventure to have for your first married trip. And I’d have wanted to steal some strays too :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 27, 2011

Such great pictures, and what a fun honeymoon! So lucky! I’ve never been to Europe and I am DYING to go! Anywhere! Haha.

Brittany @ Runwithbritt August 27, 2011

I think I just made a new addition to my bucket list!

Amanda August 27, 2011

How beautiful! I loved looking through these pictures! My parents were stationed in Italy after they were married and these pictures totally brought back memories of listening to my parents share their stories when I was younger and wanted to know each individual picture’s story in their album! I have never been outside of the United States but I cannot wait to eventually do a little traveling of my own :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 27, 2011

Beautiful! I definetly need to see these places for myself :)

Danielle August 27, 2011

Kusadasi was a stop on a cruise I went on with my family in 2007! I loved looking through your photos. Makes me want to dig out mine… and pack my bags to do some more traveling! ;)
My mom and I were lucky to have my dad and brother around because the sellers were less willing to pester us when they were around!

kaila @ healthy helper! August 27, 2011

I’ve always wanted to visit Turkey! It looks so beautiful!

Ashley August 27, 2011

Beautiful photography! I would love to travel one day– mostly to Italy and Greece to eat all the yummy food! :)

Mel August 27, 2011

I love Turkey so much just got back from there! (heat wave: 50 degree celcius) We go to Marmaris and know a lot of the locals who work there, Marmaris is only really open 6 months a year and the locals work really hard at that time and dont work the other half Im jealous. I love the people they are sooo friendly and the county is gorgeous and all the strays yes!! Plus for me as a belly dancer I am in heaven :) I was so enchanted I taught myself the language and have plans to eventually move there.

Sandra Kohlmann August 27, 2011

I just discovered your blog today. Mallory, of Mallory’s Musings, told me about in a comment she left on my own blog. Your trip looks amazing. I am very excited to start reading Oh She Glows regularly.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2011

Hey Sandra, thanks for your comment! I’ll check out your blog too :)

Laura August 27, 2011

Travel Envy!!!

Vicki August 27, 2011

Ohhhhh, I went to Kusadasi as a ‘we all just finished school’ celebratory trip! It is lovely there, it was nice to look through your photos and remember everything!. And I went to Ephesus too, it was a really interesting place to visit, and the fact that they still have so much more to dig up is just amazing!

Vicki August 27, 2011

P.S. Did you try the apple tea when you were there? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2011

yes!! It was everywhere, heh. Mmm.

Lauren August 27, 2011

Beautiful photos! You are definitely making me crave a trip to the Mediterranean! Although, was it exhausting to travel from place to place so much during one trip?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2011

Yes it was very tiring, as we walked all day long, every day, except a couple days at sea ( but even then we were always on our feet exploring the ship). We were often up around 6am each morning to make the most of each day. We’re both very active travelers though (we go stir crazy when sitting on a beach or at the pool) so it was the perfect trip for us. We did wish for longer stays at many cities though. But at least now we know where to go back!

Angela@veggievinyasa.com August 27, 2011

Gorgeous travel pics! I just came across your blog for the first time and I love it. Such inspiration!

Baking N Books August 27, 2011

I’ve never even heard of that place!

I really love your new header by the way. Not that your pic wasn’t beautiful! – but the change in color from the blue is nice.

stephanie August 27, 2011

i was at the same port last year and it was my faaavorite place. it may be my favorite place in the world. we had a personal guide and asked him to emphasize the preaching of paul and it was so neat to be walking in the same t=places that paul preached and built churches. the markets were so amazing and the food was DELICIOUS! i love that you’re posting this, it’s making me relive my own trip :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco August 27, 2011

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. August 27, 2011

LOVE all the photos. Isn’t it cool meeting animals all around the world!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 27, 2011

Angela the photos are stunning! My sister and parents have traveled EXTENSIVELY around the world. Safaris in Africa, the middle east, Europe, you name it…and they have both raved about Turkey.

I would love to go one day!

Tiffany August 27, 2011

I’m roasting S&V Chickpeas as I write this; now I can dream of trips to Greece and Turkey as I munch away on them!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 27, 2011

I would love to travel to the Mediterranean countries some day to see all the ancient ruins! Greece and Italy have always been at the top of my list, but Turkey sounds wonderful too. It would be so nice to experience a place that has a slower pace of life instead of everything being so go-go-go all the time!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner August 27, 2011

My sister was actually BORN in Turkey! :D

Brooke August 27, 2011

What beautiful photos! I especially like the ones of the cats :)

Sandi August 27, 2011

Agree with @runwithbritt!

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats August 27, 2011

Turkey looks fantastic! So interesting and filled with a melting pot of cultures!

Lindsey August 27, 2011

I can’t get over the size of the handsome kitty lying on the broken column…he looks ENORMOUS!!! Turkey is on my travel-to list…but now i want to go there right now…

Sabina August 28, 2011

I noticed that too. What a large cat!

Sky August 27, 2011

Wow! What an awesome trip!

I visited Turkey once years ago but don’t remember any strays…. that’s probably a good thing though. Like you, I am the type to want to take them all home with me… Poor kittens, I can’t believe they don’t have good homes =(

Nicholle August 27, 2011

Beautiful photos. I miss seeing your picture as your blog header.
Veggies are nice, but seeing you when I logged on made me want to eat
better so I can glow just like you!

Christine (The Raw Project) August 27, 2011

Kusadasi looks gorgerous, what an amazing honeymoon! Love all the cats.

Esen August 28, 2011

Hi!

I am from Istanbul, actually! And my grandmother has a summer house in Kusadasi. So cool that you went there and enjoyed yourself so much!

Big fan of your blog!

Esen

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2011

Thanks Esen!

Aislyn August 28, 2011

amazing photos! You actually have a couple of American readers who live in Turkey (myself being one!). Thanks for sharing it’s beauty!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2011

Oh cool! :)

Nicole August 28, 2011

Beautiful photos!

Maria August 28, 2011

What fab pics! I went to Ephasus when I was 17, and it was so interesting, but Turkey was having a heat wave, so it was over 40 degrees in the shade. Very hot!

Page 1 of 212»