High Protein Tortilla Pizzas

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 19, 2011

IMG_0783

Tell me, what screams Happy Friday more than pizza?

What about…

• 15 Minute Pizza
  • Healthy Pizza
  • High Protein Pizza
  • Even-your-dog-could-make-it Pizza
  • Spilling boiling water on your finger as you pour your morning tea (I screamed all right but it wasn’t Happy Friday…)

*ices finger*

IMG_0810

This is another Quick & Dirty recipe that I just fell in love with this week. It involves my 5-Ingredient vegan cheeze sauce, as well as a handful of other healthy ingredients that are quick to throw together.

Sometimes the best meals are the spontaneous ones. Sometimes the worst meals are the spontaneous ones. Sometimes the biggest flops are the one you dream about and plan for days drawing out detailed instructions, ingredients, maps, and brainstorming trees.

It all evens out, especially when there is pizza involved!

IMG_0779

IMG_0761

Simply mix up your cheeze sauce, beans, veggies, and seasonings in a bowl.

IMG_0764

Add on your pizza sauce and then divide the bean mixture between the two tortillas.

IMG_0766

Add a sprinkle of your fav cheese! My favourite vegan cheese is Daiya cheese (it’s soy free too).

IMG_0767

IMG_0768

Bake for 10 minutes at 350F and then broil on low for 2 minutes to crisp.

IMG_0773

Voila.

Easy pizza that’s high in protein, flavourful…

IMG_0774

and reeeeeeally fun to slice up.

IMG_0782

But not fun to wait to eat while I take these pictures!

You can enjoy the pizzas many ways, including slicing them into mini pizza slices.

IMG_0786

and then stuffing in your face.

I could not do this as I was still taking pictures.

IMG_0781-2

Or fold it up and enjoy it Calzone style…

IMG_0785

I could not enjoy this Calzone as I was still taking pictures.

You can also slice, roll, and make cute little appetizer pinwheels!

IMG_0787

Immediately after this photo, I devoured the pizza. All was well in the world again.

Now, I’m craving leftover pizza for breakfast, except there are no leftovers because I ate it all. Hrmph.

Cait's Plate August 19, 2011 at 7:46 am

Your creativity never ceases to amaze me :)

Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry August 19, 2011 at 7:49 am

Amazing. I am totally making tortilla pizzas for dinner tonight!!!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 19, 2011 at 7:54 am

I agree with Cait– Your creativity is awesome, Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2011 at 7:58 am

thanks ladies!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 19, 2011 at 7:55 am

I love tortilla pizzas – never though of the other applications though! Beautiful photos!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 19, 2011 at 7:58 am

The best part — I can totes magotes make this in my dorm room. Cha-ching!

Sweet and Savvy August 19, 2011 at 7:59 am

Wow! Sure beats greasy delivery pizza ANY day! :)

Heather (heathers dish) August 19, 2011 at 8:00 am

Mmmmmmmm I love tortilla pizza! This sounds delicious and perfect for a Friday :)

Lindsey @ Why Just Eat August 19, 2011 at 8:04 am

I’m making pizza for a couple of business clients that are coming over for lunch today – and thanks to your post, I’m putting avocado on it! I never thought to put avocado on pizza, but I’m sure it will be DELISH!! Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2011 at 8:57 am

it went awesome with the cheeze sauce :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 19, 2011 at 8:06 am

I love tortilla pizzas! And I like to see that you’re the same way as me: loading up pizzas with tons of sauce — my favorite part!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 19, 2011 at 8:09 am

“Sometimes the biggest flops are the one you dream about and plan for days drawing out detailed instructions, ingredients, maps, and brainstorming trees. “-

Isn’t that the truth!

I brainstorm and do lots of “recipe development” in my head when I’m on runs or when my mind is wandering when I should be on my yoga mat not thinking of anything, but Im brainstorming desserts and recipes and what I am going to create next.

The recipes I think about over and over and over…those are usually “okay” but it’s the truly spontaneous ones that steal the show sometimes!

Your pizza…just stole the show :)

Stephasaurus August 19, 2011 at 8:09 am

I can’t wait to try this! I made your 5 ingredient vegan cheez sauce last night and put it on some whole wheat pasta, and it was delish! Even my non-vegan fiancé said it was good! (His exact words were, “Well it’s not cheese, but it’s good!”)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2011 at 8:56 am

glad you enjoyed it!

VeggieGirl August 19, 2011 at 8:23 am

I love the appetizer pinwheels idea, always looking for healthy entertainment options when we have friends over!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) August 19, 2011 at 8:24 am

love the pinwheel idea!!

[email protected] Broken Cookies Don't Count August 19, 2011 at 8:32 am

The pizzas look wonderful. Never thought of black beans on a pizza, but they are my favorite and it sounds like a great idea! Thanks, Angela!!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans August 19, 2011 at 8:34 am

Pizza and Friday definitely go hand in hand! I love how healthy they are and yet still would satisfy my pizza craving :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} August 19, 2011 at 8:34 am

I love beans on my pizza! This looks so tasty.

Alexis August 19, 2011 at 8:48 am

Yummm!! I always crave weird things I’n the morning like what I had for dinner the night before. A couple days ago I had some cabbage soup for breakfast… Weird, I know! Thanks for all the inspiration and fabulous recipes :)

Jen August 19, 2011 at 8:51 am

The pinwheels are so cute! I love toothpicked appetizers. Hehe. If I made your cheeze sauce GF, the entire pizza could easily be made GF with a brown rice tortilla. Yay!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 19, 2011 at 8:54 am

I vote for “Even-your-dog-could-make-it Pizza.” Hahaha! I think I could eat the bean mix on its own… but pizza makes tasty food even more fabulous. :) Especially breakfast. Have you made breakfast pizzas before? Love them!

Hope your finger isn’t too bad!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 19, 2011 at 9:09 am

I love using tortillas to make pizza! Pitta bread works great too :)

Marijke August 19, 2011 at 9:22 am

I think I have all the ingredients for this in my kitchen! THANK YOU for sorting out our Friday night “what’s for dinner” dilemma!!!

[email protected] KatieDid August 19, 2011 at 9:23 am

So I always used to think it a bit strange that you used tomato paste on your sandwiches (back in the day, or maybe you still do), but I just started using it as a condiment and oh myyyyy it is tasty! I’ve been eating it by the spoonful, and dipping cheese into it hahah. I don’t know why I ever doubted your culinary expertise! but it’s got a great sweetness to it. I bet it would make for an awesome pizza sauce on these too.

karissa August 19, 2011 at 9:27 am

These look delicious!

Jenny August 19, 2011 at 9:29 am

Those little appetizer pinwheels are adorable…! I don’t blame you for eating both – they look… well, mouth-watering. I’m so glad I have tortillas in the fridge… No pizza slicer, but meh! I’d probably just double your cheeze sauce and skip the Daiya. (I’m curious about Daiya, but… it has coconut oil! Allergiieeess.)

I imagine your “Quick & Dirty” recipes will solve many last-minute dinner dilemmas in the days, posts, and weeks to come! Thanks for the great idea!

Izzy August 19, 2011 at 9:35 am

Angela you are my saving grace! I wake up in the morning , can hardly wait to open your post. It always brings me a smile and a chuckle , but just as important; I know whats for dinner!! Looking forward to Friday night pizza.Thank you, you are truly inspirational in every way!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2011 at 9:50 am

Enjoy the pizza and thanks for your comments!

Anne August 19, 2011 at 9:36 am

love the photos! they were worth the wait! looks delicious, I often make similar pizzas myself!

Alyson August 19, 2011 at 9:37 am

I totally see lunch boxes filled with this in my future.

Noelle August 19, 2011 at 9:45 am

Ha ha ha I like your variations at the end of this post. Unfortunately I am going tohave to do without the pizza sauce. This pregnancy is giving me so much heartburn that tomatoes are out of the question. Maybe I can just make it with the cheeze sauce! Thx!

Madelaine @ Healthy, Hot and Happy August 19, 2011 at 9:52 am

The pinwheels looks right up my alley – I love anything quick, easy and healthy. Thanks for the recipe Angela!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat August 19, 2011 at 10:06 am

Cheeze sauce, on pizza, with Daiya. Oh yah! Just got some amazing sun dried tomatoes so I’ve had pizza on the brain. Looking forward to dinner!

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) August 19, 2011 at 10:11 am

I would’ve stuffed them all in my face too. I think I couldn’t wait to take so much picture, thinking “one will do” ;)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet August 19, 2011 at 10:13 am

What a great easy dinner!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove August 19, 2011 at 10:14 am

I have all of those things at home (except for the cheese sauce – would need to make that). Maybe I’ll make this when I get home later!!

Erin August 19, 2011 at 10:27 am

You’re amazing! I am totally making this tonight. I am never dissapointed with your recipes and at least once a day I tell someone about your sight. Cooking vegan recipes has allowed me to not focus on how much I eat of something, I finally have stopped focusing on my weight! Thank you for that, you keep on inspiring me. :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 19, 2011 at 10:34 am

This is a happy Friday now! loves this :)

Geosomin August 19, 2011 at 10:38 am

Yum…I make something similare to this when time is in a pinch and I”m craving pizza.
Hmmm…think I know what’s for supper :)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 19, 2011 at 10:41 am

Tortilla pizzas are to die for! :) Such a great meal in a pinch. I love the new ideas for toppings! Thanks Ang!

Meg August 19, 2011 at 10:42 am

This is such a good idea. I love pizza but the gluten/dairy issue kind of gets in the way. This would be a great option! Your recipes have given me so many options I never thought of its amazing :)

Celeste August 19, 2011 at 10:44 am

I can’t eat grains, but I mixed cooked quinoa with a little garbanzo bean flour to make a “crust” of sorts and spread the sauce/other toppings on top. Though not pizza texture, total pizza flavor. I <3 this. Thanks!

Ashley August 19, 2011 at 10:51 am

My boyfriend and I are huge fans of pizza, so these look amazing and sound like they taste amazing too! Thanks for the fabulous quick recipe:)

Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather August 19, 2011 at 10:53 am

Quick and easy meal! I love it… I can see the crust being SO crispy!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 19, 2011 at 11:23 am

I bet these are amazing! Nothing screams Friday more than a pizza… in fact, I think I’ll make this tonight! We’re leaving for Edmonton in the morning for a 1/2 marathon on Sunday. Need to pack in healthy foods before the event. Have a great weekend :)

Danielle Spellman @ Squirrel Snackin' August 19, 2011 at 11:40 am

These look great! I almost bought Ezekiel tortillas the other day, and now I wish I had!

Amber K August 19, 2011 at 11:41 am

I must make this topping! It looks delicious!!

Although, I am one of those people that just can’t consider pizza toppings on a tortilla a “pizza.” Pizza needs a crust. A real crust, that’s thick and chewy and can withhold as many veggies as I want to dump on it. But what do I know, I’m too picky for my own good, lol.

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats August 19, 2011 at 11:46 am

What an interesting combination of toppings for a pizza! It looks delicious!

Val August 19, 2011 at 12:13 pm

My favorite 7-ingredient recipe:
Curry Cauliflower, Chickpea, Sweet Potato Soup

1 large box of broth/stock
1 head cauliflower
2-3 sweet potatoes
1 tsp. turmeric (optional)
½ tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. salt & ½ tsp. black pepper & pinch red cayenne pepper (optional)
1 can chickpeas
1 bag spinach (or add chopped greens of your choice…beet greens, collards, kale…)

1. Peel and cut sweet potato into 1/2” slices, place in pot with stock, cook about
10 minutes
2. Add broken up cauliflower to pot, boil an additional 10 minutes
3. Use immersion blender and blend soup into desired consistency (do this
before adding the turmeric or curry or the spices will stain your blender)
4. Add turmeric, curry, salt & pepper(s)
5. Add chickpeas
6. Add greens

Adjust seasonings to taste
If soup is too liquidy, add a scoop of cooked brown rice or more greens

Laura August 19, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I can’t wait to try these!

Rae August 19, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I just made this for lunch! DEE-licious!
Thanks for another great recipe.

Laura August 19, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Yum, I really got to try this vegan cheeze sauce.

Carissa August 19, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I love the idea of mixing the cheeze sauce with the other toppers. I’m thinking hummus would be good used in the same way… And now I’m hungry for pizza even though I just had lunch! :-)

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 19, 2011 at 1:29 pm

These look phenomenal! I wish I would have saved ‘pizza day’ for today. I made myself pizza for dinner last night, but this pizza looks 10x better! :)

Moni'sMeals August 19, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I think we are all convinced on these amazing pizzas. I like to make pizza every Friday actually and what a fun way this is too switch it up. Really, though… they are so healthy too. Win-win, right!

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine August 19, 2011 at 2:26 pm

This brings my love of cold pizza to a whole new level!

YUM.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) August 19, 2011 at 2:40 pm

That looks very tasty! I like thin crust pizza, so tortillas work well for me. Love how you mixed the cheez sauce with the beans and veggies. Yum! :)

Katie August 19, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I just went to the store to buy the ingredients for this because it looks so amazing!!

Becca August 19, 2011 at 3:03 pm

You are such a cute writer. The “hrmp” at the end made me laugh. Keep up the great writing!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race August 19, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Oh this looks so freaking delicious!!!!

[email protected] healthy helper blog! August 19, 2011 at 3:17 pm

YUM! This looks incredibly tasty and fresh! I love quick, easy yet delicious meals!!

Stefanie August 19, 2011 at 3:22 pm

That is the best looking pizza I have seen all week.

Angela August 19, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Looks great. I love a simple and quick recipe during the summer when I would rather be outside playing than inside cooking!

April August 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I love Ezekiel products. What a great idea, Thanks!

Emilie August 19, 2011 at 4:55 pm

These ingredients all look so fresh and bright! How tasty!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 19, 2011 at 6:22 pm

My biggest pet peeve about tortilla pizzas is how the toppings always fall off. But you’ve solved that problem by mixing them into the cheesy sauce! :D These look perfect!

Gena August 19, 2011 at 7:18 pm

What a fun and innovative idea, Ange! Love it.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles August 19, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Such a unique spin on pizza! I’m definitely going to try this on brown rice tortillas and hope for the best! =)

Alaina August 19, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Love individual pizzas!! I need to make more; I used to make them all the time in my last apartment. :-)

[email protected] August 19, 2011 at 7:45 pm

this is a wonderful idea! they look so great! Happy Weekend!

em @ simplypresent August 19, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I have been on a pita/tortilla pizza kick lately! I want to try this recipe out to add variety!

Aria August 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Ang – these look amazing!! I also think I’m going to try my hand at making those delicious looking cookie dough doughnuts this weekend!

Kelsie August 20, 2011 at 12:00 am

HEAVEN! My goodness, these were amazing! The new cheesy sauce is officially my new go to! It’s so easy, thick, and creamy, and cheezy dreamy! (:

Living, Learning, Eating August 20, 2011 at 1:21 am

Can you *make* Daiya-type cheeze out of Nooch? That would be awesome!

Jessica August 20, 2011 at 1:53 am

Ezekial tortillas are perfect for pizzas!!

Casey Lorraine.com August 20, 2011 at 4:34 am

Did you eat your now cold pizza with resentment festering towards your camera…you know, giving it the evil eye? ;)

Aly August 20, 2011 at 6:14 am

This looks great! My family and I often make our own pizzas with tortillas or pita bread as a quick (and fun!) do-it-yourself meal–I love how much you can customize your own & I’ll have to try black beans on mine next time!

jackie hatch! August 21, 2011 at 11:32 am

loooove making these tomorrow! i love your website :)

Angela Bonnell August 21, 2011 at 7:37 pm

These were awesome! Had them for supper last night and again for lunch today. I also love the new cheeze recipe:)

jackie hatch! August 22, 2011 at 8:11 am

Making these tonight !!!! :) can’t wait! I need to alter the hubby’s a bit though as he doesn’t love beans! :/ or pretends not to…..

ashley @ cooking for john August 22, 2011 at 10:28 am

YUM! :)

Brigid August 22, 2011 at 11:38 am

That looks freakin’ delicious!

brenda ware jones August 25, 2011 at 10:42 am

At last, a “faux cheese” sauce that gets the job done! I made a double batch, poured it over a gluten-free tamale pie casserole, and it was sooooo delicioso!

Catherine August 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Mmmmm, Mmmmm Yummy. I made these for my post Irene dinner and they are delicious.
thanks again for sharing your vision and creativity. Angela – you have re-ignited my interest in cooking for myself. It was worth it when I was cooking for a family of 5 but now that it is just me I make lazy, uninspired and unhealthy choices for my meals. My son dropped in right at dinner time and I wasn’t so sure I wanted to share. I did and he was delighted.

Mia April 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I just made this pizza. It was soooooo delicious!!
Thanks so much. :)
I am so glad I found your website.

leslie June 14, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Sweet. I am so glad to come across this news! I have a Vegan Counselor at Camp , and I am sure she is getting tired of the same ole same ole i give her. She will be pleased when i make her the pizza / or pinwheels. oh and mac and “cheese” . cannot wait. I am so excited! Ty!

Tracy August 21, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I just made this tonight …wow it is utterly delicious !!!

Amelie February 26, 2013 at 7:53 pm

This was super tasty! If you are looking for suggestions I used basil which was wonderful! I found the bean to everything else ratio to be a little bit overwhelming so I think I’ll cut it down next time :)

Chris July 20, 2015 at 10:05 am

Hello! Great looking recipe! Excited to try it!

Do you have the nutrition breakdown – carbs, protein, fat??

Thanks!