How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 2, 2011

20101016IMG_6905

I’m baaaaaaack and I missed you!

I’m currently suffering from Empty Nest Syndrome since my family left yesterday. Luckily, the Bachelorette and some leftover wine consoled me last night.

Saturday night, I threw a ‘Build your own pizza party’ with my family. Initially, I was worried that the pizza wouldn’t turn out and everyone would be disappointed, but my worries vanished as soon I saw the beautiful pizzas come out of the oven and the kids faces light up!

20101016IMG_6933

If you followed my Project Food Blog journey last year, you may know that I used to be terrified to make my own pizza dough crust from scratch. Actually, any type of bread baking involving yeast terrified me for years! I stuck to buying pre-made crusts at the grocery store. It was only when I was faced with Project Food Blog’s Pizza Challenge, that I had to face my pizza dough fears and dive right in.

20101016IMG_7264

That night, I tried out 5-6 pizza dough recipes right there in my kitchen with a bottle of wine. It was fabulous. I created all kinds of flavours like herb and cheeze, chocolate, and cinnamon sugar. Most of them tasted horrible, but I was learning!

20101016IMG_7288

After 10 trials of pizza dough, I finally conquered my pizza dough fear and I discovered that sometimes you just have to get flour in your keyboard, dough stuck in your hair, and polish off a bottle of wine until you find your groove. it’s a life mantra, really.

After talking with my family this weekend, I discovered that so many of us have this same fear about making pizza dough from scratch. Today, I’m going to show you step by step how to make the pizza dough of your dreams!

I’ll wait here for a second while you get your apron on and pour yourself some wine.

Ready?

20101016IMG_6739

Let’s begin.

How To Make Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

Recipe –> For my whole wheat pizza dough recipe, I used this ‘Amazing Whole Wheat Pizza Crust’ by Marla on Allrecipes.com. It is rated 4.5/5 stars by 578 users! It’s my fav!

Step 1) Proof your Yeast

In a large bowl, dissolve 1 teaspoon of white sugar in 1 and 1/2 cups warm water (about 45C/110F). Stir until dissolved. Now sprinkle 1 tablespoon dry active yeast on top of the sugar-water mixture and let stand until foamy, for 8-10 minutes.

It will look like this after 10 minutes (if it doesn’t foam, your yeast is inactive!)

IMG_9410

Step 2) Mix in olive oil and flour

Add 1 tablespoon olive oil into the yeast mixture and gently stir. Now, mix in 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour and stir until the dough starts to come together.

20101016IMG_6548

The dough will be very cracked and scruffy looking at this point and this is totally NORMAL! Do not fear!!

20101119IMG_0832

Step 3) Flour the surface

Add the remaining 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour onto the counter and place dough on top.

20101016IMG_6557

Tip: At this point, soak your bowl in soap and warm water for easy rinsing later!

20101119IMG_0929

Step 4) Knead the dough

Now it’s time to knead the dough (for a great video tutorial, see here) until all of the flour has been absorbed and the ball of dough becomes very smooth and non-tacky. This is the point when you will feel like you did something horribly wrong because your dough looks like crap! But, trust me, it will eventually come together in 8-10 minutes of kneading!!! It really does take the full 8-10 minutes until it comes together. Shape into a ball. Once you make a few pizza doughs, you will know exactly when it’s ready.

20101016IMG_6585

And yes, kneading dough by hand is a workout, but we’ve never been afraid of a little work, right?

I tried a few pizza doughs with my KitchenAid stand mixer dough hook last Fall and they never came out as good as kneading by hand. There’s a reason why pizzerias still knead dough by hand!

20101016IMG_6565

5) Admire your beautiful ball of dough that you worked so hard on!

Your dough will look like this after 8-10 minutes of kneading:

IMG_9412

6) Oil the Bowl

Rinse bowl and lightly oil it. Place dough ball in the bowl and lightly move it around to coat the ball with oil. This will prevent it from sticking to the bowl as it rises.

step4oilthebowl

7) Let the dough rise

Place dough in the bowl and cover with a towel. Let it rise until it’s doubled in size, about 1 hour. In the summer, I just leave the dough on the counter, but if it’s cold, you might want to place it in the oven (NOT turned on) with the light on to keep it warm.

20101016IMG_6612

After rising, punch out the air.

20101016IMG_6895

8.) Second Rise

Divide dough into two balls (for 2 thin crusts) and place both on a floured surface. Allow the 2 balls to rise, uncovered, for 45 minutes.

I made a double batch of this dough recipe, so I had 4 balls at this stage!

IMG_9416

9) Preheat oven and Shape the dough

Preheat the oven to 425-450F. (If using a pizza stone, preheat the pizza stone for 1 hour at 450-500 F and sprinkle on cornmeal onto your pizza peel) Punch out any remaining air in the dough and then begin shaping with your hands. I like to toss it in small circles over and over to get it going. It takes a few minutes to get the dough pliable and ready to spread onto the pizza pan or stone.

20101016IMG_6705 20101016IMG_6719

You can place your dough onto an oiled pizza pan or onto a Pizza Peel sprinkled with cornmeal if using a Pizza Stone.

Spread out the dough with your fingers until your desired shape is achieved.

IMG_9429

Gently pinch the crust with your fingers.

20101016IMG_6739

I like to spread on garlic infused olive oil onto the crust to give it flavour.

20101016IMG_6783

10) Add your sauce and toppings!

20101016IMG_6808

Add your tomato, pesto, or BBQ sauce..and then sprinkle on your toppings! I used Daiya cheese on my section and most of the adults tried it and commented on how good this vegan cheese is. It’s a great non-dairy alternative!

The kids loved building their own pizzas!! So cute :)

IMG_1110

11) Bake until golden and cooked through

If using a pre-heated Pizza Stone, use your pizza peel to gently slide the pizza onto the stone in the oven. I highly prefer pizza stones because they give the pizza a very authentic crispy crust!!

Last Fall, I tested three popular pizza baking methods:

1) Pizza pan –> Soft crust, soft interior

2) Back of a baking sheet –> Soft crust, soft interior

3) Pizza Stone –> Authentic, crunchy crust, with soft interior

The pizza stone won by a landslide!

20101016IMG_6873

However, on Saturday night, we used pans to save time since we had 3 large and 4 mini pizzas to cook! It was just enough dough for everyone (I made a double batch).

IMG_1092

After baking for about 15 minutes, pizza perfection was achieved.

IMG_9432

Nothing to be scared of, trust me!

Now, go on and try your hand at your own homemade pizza crust. I’m confident you can rock it!!

IMG_9439

Pizza from scratch is always a crowd pleaser no matter who you are entertaining.

20101016IMG_6905

Pizza fear conquered.

20101016IMG_7128

Now who wants to come over for a pizza party?

20101015IMG_6342

We can have Fruit Pizza with Avocado Lime whip for dessert. ;)

Bev Weidner August 2, 2011 at 8:56 am

Ha! you look just like me with your laptop in the kitchen. And even more like me with wine by the laptop.

We should be friends.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 9:00 am

We’d be in good company! heh

RaeMay June 22, 2014 at 3:09 am

Me too, wine on the counter while making the dough. By the way, your pizza dough is the best and easy to make, my kids love it.

Maria September 16, 2015 at 10:47 pm

can it be frozen

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife August 2, 2011 at 8:59 am

Mmmm, looks so delicious! I LOVE making my own pizza, my mom taught me how to do it when I was in high school and I’ve been making it ever since! There’s something especially rewarding about eating a pizza that you made yourself.

kalli August 2, 2011 at 9:02 am

gosh angela this looks so beautiful! glad you enjoyed all the time with your family…..welcome back :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 9:20 am

Thanks! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 2, 2011 at 9:02 am

Great “how to”! Making your own dough seems so overwhelming, but once you get it down there’s no sub for fresh dough! :)

kaila @ healthyhelper August 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

Homemade dough makes for the BEST pizza! My dad worked in a pizzeria when he was in college so he makes the best, authentic dough….there really is nothing better! I can’t wait to try your method out!

The Teenage Taste August 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

Your pizza dough recipe is one of my all-time favorites. I don’t normally make my own pizza dough but when I do I always go for your recipe. It’s so easy and has never failed me! :-P

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

Me please!! This looks delicious Ange! I remember all of your dough trials for PFB and it looks like you’re a pro now! :) Sounds like you had a great time with your family and I’m sure they were all very well fed. I’m totally craving pizza now, and it’s only 10am!

[email protected] KatieDid August 2, 2011 at 9:05 am

If only I could find a great gluten free mix to work with! I’ve been searching but the ones I have tried do not do pizza any justice. If anyone has found a good mix I’d love to know (comment below!). This looks so great Angela, homemade pizza brings back tons of fond childhood memories for me.

Morgan August 8, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I think this recipe will be exactly what your looking for! Enjoy!!! :) minimalistbaker.com/the-best-gluten-free-pizza-crust-sauce/

Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde August 2, 2011 at 9:05 am

I’ve never ever made home made pizza dough but now its on my must make list! But first i will have to figure out where the pizza stone is i haven’t unpacked yet :)
That last picture of the dessert pizza took my breath away :D

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing August 2, 2011 at 9:08 am

Aw, I’m sure that pizza party will be one your family (especially the kiddos) remember forever :)

cathy August 2, 2011 at 9:10 am

thanks for the AWESOME step-by-step instructions and beautiful photos, angela! i bet you were “auntie of the year” with the pizza party!
so glad you had such a good time with your family. as a devoted auntie myself, i can appreciate how you’re feeling today – hugs!

Ashley August 2, 2011 at 9:11 am

Gorgeous pizzas and great tutorial! I love this pizza crust too and have made it with all whole wheat flour successfully. :)

Kate August 2, 2011 at 9:11 am

THIS IS AWESOME! I’m a huge fan of make-your-own-pizza with friends and family, but I’ve never been successful with my dough-making attempts so I’ve always just bought Trader Joe’s. Thanks for this! will have to test it out with a bottle of pinot grigio sometime :-P. love your blog btw!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 9:19 am

Thanks Kate :)

alyssa - fashion fitness foodie August 2, 2011 at 9:12 am

You make it look so easy and beautiful!

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 2, 2011 at 9:12 am

This is such a great post–I love it! Will definitely trying it. :) (With the bottle of wine, of course–can’t leave that step out!)

Emily August 2, 2011 at 9:13 am

Yummm, looks like such a fun pizza party! Love make your own pizza’s, so good and such a great way to entertain and customize the menu :)

Kerry August 2, 2011 at 9:14 am

Do you think it is possible to freeze pizza dough?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 9:19 am

Yes you absolutely can! I havent done it yet, but I have heard from many people who do.

I got this from Chowhound forum:

‘If you do two rises, do it b/w the first and second rise. If you do one rise, do it after you make it. Shape it into a disk, zap it with little oil, saran wrap it and then put it into a ziplock. Deep freeze is better than your regular freezer b/c it can be frozen longer and won’t tend to form as much ice on it. When you thaw it, take it out the night before and put it (still wrapped) into the fridge. A few hours before use, unwrap and oil it, put it in a big bowl and cover it as you would to proof. Use when it has risen. I am sure they say 3 months storage, but I have gone 6 months without ill effect. Also, you can oil up the dough portions, stuff them in a ziplock and store in the fridge for up to five days. Warm as I said above. You can make flat bread with them.’

Zestful Lou August 2, 2011 at 9:14 am

I, too, was scared to make my own pizza dough, but it finally came time to conquer those fears and I’m so glad I did because it was the best crust I’d ever tasted!

Stefani August 2, 2011 at 9:14 am

Welcome back! The guest posts were great, but there’s nothing like the real thing! Your pizza party looks like it was a lot of fun. We have mini pizzas every Sunday, but the crusts we buy are so expensive, I would love to make a big batch of your dough and freeze it for our pizzas. Can I do that? What would be the proper storage method and how long do you think it would last? Thank you for your help!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 9:19 am

See my reply to kerry below! :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 2, 2011 at 9:15 am

I have been buying premade crust or I’ve been making a homemade crust that is just ok — kind of like if you make pizza english muffins — it tastes ok but it is not the real deal. THIS looks like the real deal! And I am so asking for a pizza stone for my birthday :)

sharon August 2, 2011 at 9:15 am

that looks absolutely amazing!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans August 2, 2011 at 9:16 am

I love homemade pizza because there is a lot more say as to what goes into it and what doesn’t. I load mine with veggies and fresh sauce and it doesn’t cost and arm and a leg!!

Britt August 2, 2011 at 9:17 am

I love making homemade pizza… But I guess I am sort of lazy and always buy the pre-made crust… the whole process of making the dough from scratch is sort-of intimating, but I am sure the flavours and textures are well worth it!

jess @ cupcakes and kale August 2, 2011 at 9:18 am

congrats on conquering your pizza fears! it’s hard to imagine fearing it when they look as amazing as those though :) …. especially that pesto ‘za… looks so devine!

jess @ cupcakes and kale August 2, 2011 at 9:20 am

so divine, that my words got jumbled up and i spelled divine wrong the first time! ;)

ashley rebekah August 2, 2011 at 9:19 am

i made your vegan pizza last night, with the roasted veggies and pesto? oh, holy, my god, YUM. that pesto is hands down the best i’ve ever had, and i’ve had (and made) a LOT of pesto.

great step-by-step tutorial. ye shall not fear dough!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 10:18 am

So glad you enjoyed it Ashley!!! Its my faaaaav way to eat pizza

Aly August 2, 2011 at 9:20 am

Angela, this came at a perfect time!!! My kids want to make pizza and I said but, for obvious reasons, I want a healthy version So, I have been in pursuit of a perfect pie! Voila!! Thanks so much! I have one question: About how long did it take to complete start to finish? I just want to be able to gauge when to start in order to complete by dinner. Again, thanks so much for the MANY, MANY uber-fabulous recipes and non-food related posts. Your truly an inspiration!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 11:00 am

Due to the double rising time, (total 1 hr 45 mins), I would guess that you’d need 2 hours + 5-10 mins for the crust (without baking) but keep in mind that most of it is INACTIVE time (aka you can leave the kitchen!). Bake time is roughly 12-18 mins depending on temp and method used.

Rachel August 2, 2011 at 9:20 am

I think I need to make pizza tonight..

Rachel August 2, 2011 at 9:22 am

Great how-to! I’ve always been afraid of pizza dough, but you make it seem really easy. I guess I need to get over it and give it a try :)

Shanna, Like Banana August 2, 2011 at 9:28 am

These look picture perfect!

And isn’t it amazing how a glass (or bottle) of wine helps make the best recipes? ;-P

VeggieGirl August 2, 2011 at 9:29 am

can you make the pizza dought on one evening, then use it the next evening for dinner if it is covered and put in the fridge? I was just wondering because I could do the whole ‘let it rise for 2 hours’ thing after dinner while doing homework and then when I get home from work the next day it would only be a matter of baking it!

Is there a vegan pizza topping combo that tastes yummy and doesnt involve alternate cheese? Maybe something with pesto etc?

Thanks :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 11:01 am

Ive heard you can keep pizza dough in the fridge for up to 5 days.

My PFFB recipe found here: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/10/17/project-food-blog-challenge-5-a-pizza-complex/
Has the non-cheese toppings (pesto vegetable mixture- my fav)

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 2, 2011 at 9:30 am

This looks great!
Do you know of any substitutes I could use for the wheat? I’m allergic :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 11:02 am

I would try googling non-wheat versions of pizza dough. im sure Gluten free girl has some too!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 2, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Oo okie dokie I will
Thanks :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 2, 2011 at 9:38 am

I love making homemade dough even though it’s SO time consuming – this post makes me want to go home and make a batch!

LizAshlee August 2, 2011 at 9:40 am

That looks like the PERFECT pizza! Great step-by-step instructions..sounds more simple than I imagined…it also sounds somewhat time consuming. Did you make the pizza the same day to be enjoyed or prep the day before?

Thanks for the great tips! Have a beautiful day!! :)

Girl in the pink August 2, 2011 at 9:43 am

Okay I always use a dough hook, so next time I’ll do it by hand! Great tip!

Jenny August 2, 2011 at 9:44 am

It’s all fun and games until you fry your MacBook Pro by tipping over that glass of wine. Or was that just me? Yup. Just me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 10:18 am

ouch!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 2, 2011 at 9:53 am

I can’t wait to give my own crust a try on a lazy weekend (the only time I have the time!) it looks like it makes a huge difference! These look amazing :)

Beth August 2, 2011 at 9:56 am

I’ve been making my own pizza dough for several years and wouldn’t have it any other way. I use my dough hook on the mixer, though, so maybe one day when I have time I’ll hand-knead. I’ll try your recipe, too, and see how it does.
(BTW, I made the chilled double chocolate torte Sunday and it came out beautifully!)

Aly August 2, 2011 at 11:52 am

I’d love to try the dough hook method!! How long do you “knead” the dough this way? Thanks!

Beth August 2, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Hi Aly! My recipe calls for hand kneading for 5-7 minutes, so I usually let the mixer go for 4 minutes or so until the dough starts getting wrapped up too much on the hook. I’m sure hand-kneading is better but there are only so many minutes in a day, so I let the mixer do the work. Good luck!

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers August 2, 2011 at 10:04 am

I want to come over for a pizza party! I still have a fear of doing this, but it sounds like a worthwhile Saturday evening activity. Thanks for the tips!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. August 2, 2011 at 10:06 am

OMG. I wish I could have been there! I made my hubby sit through the whole event, the, um, bad tv event!! I don’t know how I got sucked into this season’s show, but somehow I did and immersed myself into the ridiculous melodrama each week, while eating vegan food!! Which guy were you rooting for?? I have to give my hubby this post as he somehow thinks that making a crust is too difficult for him, and I am too lazy to do it!! Beautiful photos, as always!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 11:02 am

JP all the way!!! From day 1, he was my pick :) What a catch!

i dont know how I got sucked into it either b/c I hadnt watched since season 1!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet August 2, 2011 at 10:10 am

Amazing step-by-step photos!

Heather (heathers dish) August 2, 2011 at 10:11 am

I’m on my way! Pizza parties are sort of my fave ;)

Caitlyn August 2, 2011 at 10:12 am

Pizza party invitation accepted! The pesto pizza looks simply amazing. It has some great colors on it!

Allysia August 2, 2011 at 10:21 am

I totally agree with your verdict on the pizza stone – I just can’t have it any other way now! I’ll have to check out this dough recipe. We usually just make a white crust since the whole wheat ones we tried are so heavy, and when you’re eating pizza, you really just want a treat! But this one looks nice and soft and lovely.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 10:58 am

yea it was a perfect combo!

Jacqueline @smartsolitude.com August 2, 2011 at 10:26 am

Beautiful post as always! Your photography and great content keep me coming back again and again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 10:58 am

aww thanks!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 2, 2011 at 10:27 am

I was thinking about making pizza from scratch this weekend – perfect timing :)

Sarah with Veggie Kids August 2, 2011 at 10:31 am

A good homemade pizza dough is hard to come by so I can’t wait to try this recipe! And apparently I should invest in a pizza stone. I totally agree that Daiya cheese is the way to go on pizza b/c it melts up so nicely!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 2, 2011 at 10:34 am

I’d love to come over for a pizza party any day!

That fruit pizza is sooo beautiful! I would love to dive into that!

But I admit, I am scared to make dough. Yeast, rising, precise mixtures and ingredients, kneading, rising…it all scares me like I am going to mess it up!

I wish you could come and be my dough making tutor :)

Cindy Robinson August 2, 2011 at 10:41 am

I just love when kids are in the kitchen. My dream is to educate kids about healthy eating and get them involved in the cooking process. It’s so much fun, it makes me feel like a little kid myself. I love to make a mess in the kitchen. I finally got a little more comfortable using yeast, but have yet to try pizza dough, it’s on my list :) Thanks for sharing!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) August 2, 2011 at 10:42 am

That looks SO GOOD! I need to get a new pizza stone, I haven’t had one in a while now because I never really used it when I had it. The dough looks perfect, though! YUM :)

Claire August 2, 2011 at 10:48 am

Your pictures are OUT OF THIS WORLD in this post! That takes quite the talent, my friend! What kind of camera is it that you use?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 10:58 am

thanks! its on my FAQ page :)

Carly August 2, 2011 at 10:50 am

I’m glad you conquered your dough fears!

It doesn’t scare me, but the time consumption gets to me, so I typically make a big batch and freeze individual doughs to just pop out on rushed nights.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) August 2, 2011 at 10:55 am

I really enjoyed this post Ange and it gave me hope that I too could make pizza dough. I saved a shortcut to this page! ;) I agree on the pizza stone. Nothing makes a pizza turn out more like ‘the real deal’. I even use it when cooking premade frozen pizzas. Once you use a stone, you never go back!! I just recently made Jenna’s ‘bbq chickpea pizza’ on my stone… to die for.

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet August 2, 2011 at 11:00 am

I’ve tried to make my own pizza dough three times before, but I’m definitely doing something wrong! I think that I just need some more practice before I can achieve that pizza perfection. Your tips will definitely help :)

Jessie McCracken August 2, 2011 at 11:10 am

hi5 sweetie. i know exactly what you are talking about when you speak of expirements in the kitchen with an apron on and a glass of wine. proud that you dug into it and glad you shared the results!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh August 2, 2011 at 11:11 am

Cringe! But the way that big ol’ pizza looks at the top may just coerce me out of my fear of dough/bread making. I’ve been desperate to make naan but always talk myself out of it!

Christine August 2, 2011 at 11:51 am

I like to follow VeganDad’s modifications to the recipe link here:

I’ve made it a couple times. I haven’t totally perfected it, but it’s darn tasty and vegan! I can never find vegan naan in stores, so this definitely hits the spot.

Victoria August 2, 2011 at 11:13 am

My hubby is Gluten Free. Can I use a different flour and get the same results? I have had some success with “Perfect Flour Blend” by Namaste. Would this work? Thanks. PS: Just recently found this site and it is beautiful and I am loving it. Thank you so much.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Hey Victoria,

I would try searching for gluten free pizza dough recipes and Im sure there will be many that come up. Gluten free girl probably has one too!

Sonia (the Mexigarian) August 2, 2011 at 11:22 am

Angela, whenever I try to make pizza on my rectangular stone, the center always seems to come out under done and the ingredients on top get burned the longer I cook to cook the center.

How do you keep the center of your pizzas cooked without the ingredients burning? I like my food charred occasionally, but I want to make a pizza without burning it at least once! Lol.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Would it work if you baked it on the oven’s convection setting (if you have one that is)? That helps the heat distribute evenly…we used convection since we had 3 pizzas in at the same time!

Brooke August 2, 2011 at 11:26 am

You are so good at giving step by step tutorials. I tried making pizza scratch twice. The first time it turned out great! Then I got a little too confident and tried to make pizza using polenta as the base. I baked it for like almost an hour and a half and it would NOT bake. I don’t know what I did wrong but I haven’t tried to make pizza since. I think I might have to make some homemade pizza now after reading your post! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Well at least you tried right? Now you know. Same with my chocolate pizza crust. Horrid. Never again. Chocolate goes on top not in the crust, I discovered!

Brooke August 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm

haha well I give you props for even attempting that, I would never even think to put chocolate in a pizza!

Hayley @ Oat Couture August 2, 2011 at 11:26 am

Yay for overcoming your pizza dough fears! :) I love making my own, haven’t quite conquered bread yet though! :/ Also I love adding pesto to the base! Yum!! I’m now craving a big fat slice of pizza! :)

Amber K August 2, 2011 at 11:32 am

Looks delicious, I just wish I had more patience! Especially because I can’t imagine testing out different gluten-free flours and spending that much time on something with the possibility of a major flop. And I’m a vodka girl, takes much less time to drink than wine ;)

suzanne August 2, 2011 at 11:42 am

They look delicious. I have been making pizza dough for a few years but definitely have not perfected it. Good to hear about the dough hook as that is usually what I use – will try kneading by hand. I usually make 4-6 pizzas as we all like different kinds, often have friends join us and love leftovers for lunch! This is an every friday night thing so I really need to perfect this.
One of the problems is I really do not want to use white flour. I use ww or spelt – and maybe need to add more gluten (have not done that in awhile). Thanks for the inspiration – I am excited to get on this project again!
BTW – I used to use pans to speed up the process but the stones are so much better – I now have 3 stones in at a time and just keep rotating. Works great :-)

janetha @ meals & moves August 2, 2011 at 11:43 am

This is a wonderful tutorial, Ang! I love making homemade pizza but am usually lazy and buy the dough at Whole Foods. I will try your recipe :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn August 2, 2011 at 11:45 am

Ahhhh finally I can give up mahhh lazy ways! Love you Ang <3

Jenny @ Train for Wellness August 2, 2011 at 11:46 am

Pizza night is always a hit in our household! I agree with the hand kneading, it by far produces a superior product, plus you get in a good arm workout :) I swear by Martha’s dough recipe and in our house, the thinner the crust the better.

lindsay August 2, 2011 at 11:49 am

now if only I could make a GF version that is that warm and fluffy! and of course, the wine pairing is the best part, right?
;)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 2, 2011 at 11:54 am

YES! Now I have no excuse not to make pizza. I really can’t stand what I call the “fake” pizza crust that is nothing like pizzeria crust. This is perfect, thank you!

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl August 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm

SO nice to have you back- us readers missed you, TOO :)
I’ve never made homemade pizza dough before, and honestly, it’s all centered around fear. You make it look so easy! Definitely bookmarking this tutorial!

Rhona August 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Um, those look amazing. I have to say that I love making yeast products. My mom makes homemade bread so I was never intimidated by the process. I relish my time baking bread as I find the kneading and process incredibly therapeutic and relaxing. I wish I liked Daiya (sigh) but I do love full roasted veggie pizzas. Amazing! Thanks for the tutorial.

Ashley August 2, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Your crust seriously looks perrrrfect!! I always make mine long and rectangular because I can’t get that nice circle shape. :) Great tutorial post!! I’ll take the fruit pizza please!

Stacey @ Here's to Life August 2, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Looks delicious! My spouse and I were just discussing maing home-made pizza this week. We’ve been looking for a new dough recipe…we’ll try this one! Thanks!

Emilie August 2, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Us Chicago folk love our pizza! Great post and directions!

Cait's Plate August 2, 2011 at 12:53 pm

That dough looks incredibly perfect! I actually came to the realization the other day that I prefer homemade pizza to any other kind (frozen, delivered, eat-in) and the dough has everything to do with it!

hihorosie August 2, 2011 at 12:53 pm

You make it look so easy and less intimidating but I’m still SCARED! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 1:15 pm

it’s ok to be scared but you can still do it! ;)

Kathy August 2, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Yummy! I’ve always been afraid of yeast too >.< I actually still am, even though I bought a tbsp of active dry yeast in a bulk store.
I love how in this recipe, you don't have to wait 12 hrs or a whole day or something just to let the yeast rise but only around 2 hrs. I am bookmarking this!!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy August 2, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Great post! I like the step by step pictures! The dough looks amazing!

kelli August 2, 2011 at 1:46 pm

i’ll be there tonight. with wine!=)

Lauren August 2, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Hi Angela!

I’ve been reading your blog for a couple months now and am really inspired! I am a huge bread baker but always avoided making my own pizza dough until I used the recipe in Peter Reinhart’s book (The Bread Baker’s Apprentice). It’s fabulously easy to make in the stand mixer and vegan, too. I have had great results using a regular oven set to 500F. Anyway, if you’re timid about making yeasted stuff (including delicious cinnamon rolls…), I’d recommend his books. It also may be of some help to try using instant yeast–there’s no proofing involved and it makes this faster and more reliable, too!

Looking forward to reading more from you!

Lauren

Katrina August 2, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Love! This looks awesome.

sarah August 2, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Did you really use only vegan cheese??

The melted result looks soooo yummy. I have tried using Daiya cheese and I find that it has a weird after taste to it…

Did you use the brand Daiya, in the pizza you made on Saturday night as well (as pictured above) ?

If yes, just looking at the picture… I must give it another try :p

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm

The image at the bottom is with the regular cheese. Daiya doesnt melt as much as reg cheese does, but it comes close enough that I dont mind.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 2, 2011 at 2:41 pm

That pizza’s looks divine! I never thought of proofing the yeast first. Guessing it activates the yeast faster right? Drool worthy :)

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat August 2, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Delicious looking! I have great pizza restaurant in town, and they let me bring my own Daiya that they add to my pizza. Therefore, my incentive to try making dough has been low. I have always been scared to venture into bread making. Perhaps now is the time to give it a try.

Sarah August 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Your pizzas always look so great! I have used the one you posted for the FoodBuzz competition several times. It works really well for me, but I usually have a hard time getting the dough spread out in the pan. My dough always seems to spread out and then shrink back. Has this ever happened to you or do you have any ideas what could be causing it? Maybe I’m not kneading it long enough?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 3:47 pm

that has happened to me before! This recipe I used Saturday worked great and I didnt have any…ahem…shrinkage issues ;)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty August 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I’ll come!!!

I make pizza at least once per week with homemade dough.

I have a MAJOR crush on pizza with hummus as the base, and not cheese (just load it with veggies)… promise it will change your life!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I made a hummus appetizer pizza! SO GOOD!

Geosomin August 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

“sometimes you just have to get flour in your keyboard”
he hee…glad I’m not the only one :)

Molly @ RDexposed August 2, 2011 at 5:07 pm

This is exactly what I’ve needed!! Thanks!

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun August 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I really miss making my own pizza dough…nothing compares! But since going gluten-free, it’s just not the same :(

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I will sooo come over for a pizza party! or have one myself! Great post, I have been wanting to try my own pizza dough for EVER :)

Olya August 2, 2011 at 5:39 pm

We missed you too!
I would love to make my pizza. We ordered pizza from the “authentic” Italian pizza restaurant and it was not what I expected it to be. I guess there is just so much advantage in building you own pizza because you can put everything in it you like.

laura August 2, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Baking anything with yeast always intimidates me, but you give a great tutorial!
Your pizza looks so authentic, you could sell it by the slice :)

Katherine August 2, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I have always wanted to make pizza dough!

[email protected] August 2, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I love homemade pizza dough! I never made it with whole wheat flour though.. can you taste a difference once all the delish toppings are on? I’m in for a pizza party :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I actually prefer the taste of whole wheat but its very similar!

Veggie V! @ Veggie V's Vegan Adventure August 2, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I’m affraid of yeast too! I’ve never made anything with it because I keep thinking I’ll do something wrong. I’ve never even tried to use a mix – ha ha. I did pick up a Bob’s mix the other day, which has a yeast packet, so I guess I’ll start there. Baby steps ;-)

BTW, I did a write in vote for your blog in the VegNews survey. You’re welcome! (I also voted for Glo Bakery – yhea!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011 at 8:40 pm

thanks!

Clare @ Fitting It All In August 2, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Okay now that I have a step by step tutorial I have no excuse NOT to do it!

Joann August 2, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Wow…that’s a very detailed look at the process. Thank you. I’ll give it a try!

jenna August 2, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Welcome back Angela! I’m checking your blog as a reward for clearing out a very messy email account tonight – wahoo! Thanks for being inspiring and amusing :) Jenna

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles August 2, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I’m so glad you had a fun time with your family visiting! I have the best memories of making pizza with my family ever since I was little! I’m determined to eventually have my own wood-fire pizza oven, haha!

Beach Bum Beauty August 3, 2011 at 3:43 am

Looks scrumptious and love that drinking wine is a pre-requisite! :-D

Bree August 3, 2011 at 8:46 am

Hey Ange – what brand is your pizza stone? I like the handles and definitely want to get one if that’s how you make the best pizza…if you like yours let me know where you got it – thanks!! :-)

(so far I’ve always made dough in the breadmaker…but I will definitely try from scratch now!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2011 at 8:52 am

m not sure what brand it is or where it’s from…I’ll try to take a look!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. August 3, 2011 at 8:47 am

Yeah, I haven’t watched it in years either but I was for JP too. Hubby thought he was “possessive” but I thought he was a little older and of course he is possessive with all those other guys around! He seemed much less “metrosexual” pretty boy than the others. I prefer flannel shirts to hair with product. Too funny.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2011 at 8:51 am

haha yes he’s def. possessive, so hopefully that wont be an issue in their relationship down the road!

Colleen August 3, 2011 at 9:30 am

I absolutely adore homemade pizza! We still beg my dad to make it occasionally. I’m glad you didn’t have any issues this time making the dough :)

(what runs) Lori August 3, 2011 at 9:49 am

This looks incredible. I love the action shots of the dough making in progress!

The toppings… oh the toppings… mmmm!

Katie August 3, 2011 at 10:10 am

What did you put on the pizza that has the green sauce? Is that pesto and tomatoes? Anyway, it looks delish and I would very much like to try it!

Liana Stelmach August 3, 2011 at 12:27 pm

This looked so yummy when I saw it yesterday that I knew what was for dinner…pizza! I also loved the idea of pesto, so whipped some up and used it as the sauce base. Thanks for the recipe! The crust turned out perfect, crisp and yet still soft :) With the added bonus that it makes two pizzas, leftovers!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Liana!

Nicole August 3, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I used to use my bread machine before it died and it always came out perfect! Since then, I’ve only made it once or twice for calzones. I’ve been so wanting to have a build your own pizza party, but every weekend seems to get too busy! I saw another post today about making pizza at home and now it is going to have to be on my must-do-now list!!

Meesh August 3, 2011 at 3:36 pm

I loved this tutorial!!!

Jessica August 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm

do you know if you can freeze or refrigerate the dough you don’t use? And for how long?
thanks!
Love the pesto pizza. We’ve made it twice already and its my favorite!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I know many people freeze pizza dough, I would try googling it as Im not sure on the specifics.

Sarah August 3, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I’m glad you posted this- you have me believing I can make great pizza crust from scratch:-).

Amanda August 3, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Wow Angela, these pizzas look pro! I too have a fear of using yeast (except in cinnamon buns, which always seem to turn out for me). I have tried making homemade pizza dough several times, never with great success, but I’m definitely going to try this recipe. Love the fruit pizza at the end – what a pizza feast!

Leslie August 3, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Hi Angela, I plan to make this pizza dough for dinner tomorrow night and was wondering if the recipe would still work using all whole wheat flour? I do not have any all purpous flour and would need to go out and buy some if it’s neccesary. This is my first time making my own pizza dough so wish me luck. Thanks!! ~Leslie

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I think it would be quite dense if using all whole wheat flour….let me know if you try it out though!

Leslie August 3, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Thanks!! I don’t mind dense baked goods so I’ll probably try it with all whole wheat and I’ll let you know how it comes out. Either way, the delicious toppings will still be edible even if the dough isn’t :)

Jenn August 3, 2011 at 10:54 pm

This looks so good and so easy that I am sharing it with my team on Sparkpeople.com!

Tori (@eat-tori) August 4, 2011 at 3:19 am

Oh, I know exactly what you mean about sometimes needing a glass of wine to help you find your groove. If I pour a glass and put some good music on things just seem to flow a little better (my favourite part about making pizza dough is punching it down. So satisfying).

heather August 4, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Next, if you haven’t already, make sure to try grilling your homemade pizza! If you’re a fan of the pizza stone, you’ll probably like this. My usual route is to roll/pat out dough in a manageable size (divided into personal-sized lumps), brush some olive oil on one side, and put oil-side down on the heated grill. 3-4 min later (depending on temp), pull it off, spread sauce/toppings on the grilled side and put back on the grill until heated thru/cheese melted if applicable. Enjoy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 5, 2011 at 7:24 am

mm great idea!

Marianne August 5, 2011 at 3:12 am

I made pizza last night, and it was a bit of a fail. I’ve made dough in the past and had success, but I tried a different combination of flours (as suggested by a customer at work), and I knew once I started kneading it probably wouldn’t turn out as planned. I cooked it up anyways, and we ate it, but I won’t be doing that again. I almost feel like I need to make pizza again just to erase that bad pizza dough experience!

JenATX August 30, 2011 at 10:33 pm

WOW! thanks for the amazing step-by-step… just another reason to feed my crazy pizza cravings haha

Jaime June 30, 2012 at 4:51 pm

What type of flour did you use? Or did you add spices to your dough? I can see flakes in your dough that I don’t have.

Tina July 23, 2012 at 3:48 pm

This pizza was amazing! I’m definitely making it again!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 24, 2012 at 7:53 am

Hey Tina, I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the pizza, thanks for letting me know!

shawnell July 31, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I love love pizza. I love finding new pizza recipes and trying them out. My husband does not like pizza as much as I do, So I only make it when I know he is not hungry or out of town. I love your blog , I will definitly have to bookmark this page. Thanks Thanks this page is making me hungry!!

Megan August 5, 2012 at 7:44 am

Hey Angela! Just wondering if this pizza dough is vegan?! I made it last night and it was soooooo good, but i’m just newly vegan (only a little over a month) and only thought about it after that the yeast is probably not vegan and i’m a little freaked out?! haha Guess we cant all be perfect.

Ps. Your blog is my life. As a young adult struggeling with self body image I am truly inspired by your story. Thank you so much! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 6, 2012 at 7:37 am

Hey Megan, Yup yeast is vegan. :) Thanks for your kind words about my blog! Goodluck to you.

lynda August 15, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Did I read the recipie right that it is only 1/2 cup water? I tried and tried to get 3 cups of flour mixed in and it was a mess and my hands are sore…I had to add some water to mine and it still seems very, very dry…it’s rising now so we will see…

lynda August 15, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Nevermind, after looking at it again I realized it was 1 1/2 cups …now no more flour to re-do it… guess we wont be having that tonight! GRR

Mickey November 9, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Thank you so much. I reference this page every time I make a homemade pizza now!

Stephanie December 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Looks relish! Have you ever made cauliflower pizza crust? A friend’s mom made this a few times using riced cauliflower, mozzarella cheese and eggs.

If so do you have your own version of the recipe you can share? Maybe sub mozzarella for almond cheese? Not sure how to get around the eggs though.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 14, 2012 at 9:33 am

No I havent but Ive been wanting to try one! Thanks for the reminder.

Kristen February 27, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Can the dough be frozen for future use? If so at what point do you freeze it? Before or after rising?
THanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Hi Kristen, I do think you can freeze pizza dough, but I’m not exactly sure when you would freeze it so I’m hesitant to give you a suggestion – I would suggest a quick google search about freezing dough. You should be able to find someone who has the proper advice. Goodluck!

jay March 7, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! Not only was this 4 year old approved, but good gracious it is delicious! Also, in your garlic base, if I may add, chop up some rosemary (I inherited a big bunch and tried it!—yum yum yum)

Megan January 23, 2014 at 10:49 am

Angela, I made this pizza crust last weekend and my family loved it! I would like to make pizza next weekend for my little girl’s birthday party but want to do as much prep as I can in advance. Would it be a good idea you think to bake the crust ahead of the time, then just add the toppings that morning and bake or broil… or bake the whole thing the day before and reheat in the oven… or leave the dough uncooked and put on the toppings the night before and bake it the next morning? So many options, so little experience! Any advice would be lovely :)

Emily February 2, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Hi Angela,

I can’t wait to try this crust as is but do have a question in regards to flour substitute. I’ve been reading up on almond flour and I know it can’t always be substituted 1:1 to all recipes as it does not absorb liquids as well as wheat or white flour. Do you have any suggestions for subbing out the wheat and white with almond flour in this recipe?

Thanks!

Tanja February 19, 2014 at 11:51 pm

I made FIVE of your recipes today, (all great!) and this was one of them – the pictures really helped. I topped my kids’ with the usual tomato sauce and mozzarella, but I put your cauliflower Alfredo sauce (with a little cashew creme mixed in) on mine, and then layered on roasted squash and a few dollops of tomato sauce. When it came out of the oven I drizzled on some black truffle oil – wowza!

Jessica April 25, 2014 at 4:16 am

I already make my own pizza dough… well I did when I was vegetarian (used honey) and I recently crossed over to the vegan side :D so I decided to look for a brand new pizza dough recipe. I came straight to your website. You’ve been a vegan goddess for me!! lol just curious, what are the toppings in the picture where you’re cutting the pizza? It looks AMAZING.

Sally November 14, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I made this pizza dough the first time about 3 weeks ago, let it sit overnight in the refrigerator, and then divided my dough into 2 parts. We made pizza that night, and froze the other part. The results were great.

Part 2 of the great pizza “science experiment”: Yesterday about noon, I removed the frozen dough from the freezer to the refrigerator. Then today about 1:00 PM I took it out of the refrigerator and into the (unheated) oven with the light on. The dough rose again (3rd rise), and then we made pizza. Then you flatten it all out to make the pizza and it puffed up again while cooking. I swear tonight’s pizza was as good or better than the first one. And I had a whole lot less to clean up tonight!

I will definitely be making this again.

Sam May 20, 2015 at 11:24 am

Could you freeze any leftover dough?

Mark M June 14, 2015 at 1:50 am

Hi. You need to cold proof the dough in the refrigerator for 3 days prior to baking. Your method will result in dough with minimal flavor. Also don’t use a pizza stone. Instead use a steel or better blue steel pan baking at 500 degrees for 8 to 12 minutes. Steel is a better conductor of heat than stone. Also use a high gluten flour.

2 Machine Rotary Tattoo Kit Only $119.99 July 12, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Article writing is also a fun, if you be familiar with afterward you can write or else it is complicated
to write.

Kuldeep singh September 19, 2015 at 3:01 am

Nice Recipe
I would like to buy a stand mixer in India. Please answer my questions.
Can I make this pizza without any stand mixer?
Could you please suggest the company?
Which stand mixer is better?
Where to buy this stand mixer in India?
Can I buy through their official website? If I can buy, please suggest me their official website in India.
Thanks.

Kim Boden June 23, 2016 at 10:30 am

This recipe looks yummy. I don’t own a pizza stone, however I used a cast iron skillet well oiled, and seasoned. I also knead in cornmeal and extra on the bottom. I prebake for 5-8 minutes then top. It makes a delightful pan pizza that can be topped to the edge. Thank you for the recipe. I will be trying this on the weekend.

Angela Liddon June 23, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Thanks for sharing the cast iron skillet trick, Kim! I hope you like this recipe when you give it a try.

plasterers bristol June 28, 2016 at 10:39 am

This turned out perfect for us, great tasting recipe. thanks.

Simon

Gem (Breakfast and salads) October 4, 2016 at 11:09 pm

I just recently tried making pizza with Kirimochi! So delicious! I love pizza but am always looking for an alternative to pizza bases. Making my own base seem to take too much time and cleaning up the floury mess makes it worse. But with kirimochi, it’s really easy and my pizza is done in 15 minutes! It’s also naturally gluten and wheat free. Recipe on my blog:

Yooying August 30, 2017 at 5:17 am

I will try making pizza the first time with my kids this weekend. Thank you for sharing the recipe! It’s very helpful for me!