How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

20101016IMG 6905 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

I’m baaaaaaack and I missed you!

I’m currently suffering from Empty Nest Syndrome since my family left yesterday. Luckily, the Bachelorette and some leftover wine consoled me last night.

Saturday night, I threw a ‘Build your own pizza party’ with my family. Initially, I was worried that the pizza wouldn’t turn out and everyone would be disappointed, but my worries vanished as soon I saw the beautiful pizzas come out of the oven and the kids faces light up!

20101016IMG 6933 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

If you followed my Project Food Blog journey last year, you may know that I used to be terrified to make my own pizza dough crust from scratch. Actually, any type of bread baking involving yeast terrified me for years! I stuck to buying pre-made crusts at the grocery store. It was only when I was faced with Project Food Blog’s Pizza Challenge, that I had to face my pizza dough fears and dive right in.

20101016IMG 7264 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

That night, I tried out 5-6 pizza dough recipes right there in my kitchen with a bottle of wine. It was fabulous. I created all kinds of flavours like herb and cheeze, chocolate, and cinnamon sugar. Most of them tasted horrible, but I was learning!

20101016IMG 7288 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

After 10 trials of pizza dough, I finally conquered my pizza dough fear and I discovered that sometimes you just have to get flour in your keyboard, dough stuck in your hair, and polish off a bottle of wine until you find your groove. it’s a life mantra, really.

After talking with my family this weekend, I discovered that so many of us have this same fear about making pizza dough from scratch. Today, I’m going to show you step by step how to make the pizza dough of your dreams!

I’ll wait here for a second while you get your apron on and pour yourself some wine.

Ready?

20101016IMG 6739 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Let’s begin.

How To Make Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

Recipe –> For my whole wheat pizza dough recipe, I used this ‘Amazing Whole Wheat Pizza Crust’ by Marla on Allrecipes.com. It is rated 4.5/5 stars by 578 users! It’s my fav!

Step 1) Proof your Yeast

In a large bowl, dissolve 1 teaspoon of white sugar in 1 and 1/2 cups warm water (about 45C/110F). Stir until dissolved. Now sprinkle 1 tablespoon dry active yeast on top of the sugar-water mixture and let stand until foamy, for 8-10 minutes.

It will look like this after 10 minutes (if it doesn’t foam, your yeast is inactive!)

IMG 9410 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Step 2) Mix in olive oil and flour

Add 1 tablespoon olive oil into the yeast mixture and gently stir. Now, mix in 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour and stir until the dough starts to come together.

20101016IMG 6548 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

The dough will be very cracked and scruffy looking at this point and this is totally NORMAL! Do not fear!!

20101119IMG 0832 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Step 3) Flour the surface

Add the remaining 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour onto the counter and place dough on top.

20101016IMG 6557 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Tip: At this point, soak your bowl in soap and warm water for easy rinsing later!

20101119IMG 0929 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Step 4) Knead the dough

Now it’s time to knead the dough (for a great video tutorial, see here) until all of the flour has been absorbed and the ball of dough becomes very smooth and non-tacky. This is the point when you will feel like you did something horribly wrong because your dough looks like crap! But, trust me, it will eventually come together in 8-10 minutes of kneading!!! It really does take the full 8-10 minutes until it comes together. Shape into a ball. Once you make a few pizza doughs, you will know exactly when it’s ready.

20101016IMG 6585 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

And yes, kneading dough by hand is a workout, but we’ve never been afraid of a little work, right?

I tried a few pizza doughs with my KitchenAid stand mixer dough hook last Fall and they never came out as good as kneading by hand. There’s a reason why pizzerias still knead dough by hand!

20101016IMG 6565 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

5) Admire your beautiful ball of dough that you worked so hard on!

Your dough will look like this after 8-10 minutes of kneading:

IMG 9412 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

6) Oil the Bowl

Rinse bowl and lightly oil it. Place dough ball in the bowl and lightly move it around to coat the ball with oil. This will prevent it from sticking to the bowl as it rises.

step4oilthebowl thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

7) Let the dough rise

Place dough in the bowl and cover with a towel. Let it rise until it’s doubled in size, about 1 hour. In the summer, I just leave the dough on the counter, but if it’s cold, you might want to place it in the oven (NOT turned on) with the light on to keep it warm.

20101016IMG 6612 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

After rising, punch out the air.

20101016IMG 6895 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

8.) Second Rise

Divide dough into two balls (for 2 thin crusts) and place both on a floured surface. Allow the 2 balls to rise, uncovered, for 45 minutes.

I made a double batch of this dough recipe, so I had 4 balls at this stage!

IMG 9416 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

9) Preheat oven and Shape the dough

Preheat the oven to 425-450F. (If using a pizza stone, preheat the pizza stone for 1 hour at 450-500 F and sprinkle on cornmeal onto your pizza peel) Punch out any remaining air in the dough and then begin shaping with your hands. I like to toss it in small circles over and over to get it going. It takes a few minutes to get the dough pliable and ready to spread onto the pizza pan or stone.

20101016IMG 6705 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough 20101016IMG 6719 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

You can place your dough onto an oiled pizza pan or onto a Pizza Peel sprinkled with cornmeal if using a Pizza Stone.

Spread out the dough with your fingers until your desired shape is achieved.

IMG 9429 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Gently pinch the crust with your fingers.

20101016IMG 6739 thumb1   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

I like to spread on garlic infused olive oil onto the crust to give it flavour.

20101016IMG 6783 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

10) Add your sauce and toppings!

20101016IMG 6808 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Add your tomato, pesto, or BBQ sauce..and then sprinkle on your toppings! I used Daiya cheese on my section and most of the adults tried it and commented on how good this vegan cheese is. It’s a great non-dairy alternative!

The kids loved building their own pizzas!! So cute :)

IMG 1110 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

11) Bake until golden and cooked through

If using a pre-heated Pizza Stone, use your pizza peel to gently slide the pizza onto the stone in the oven. I highly prefer pizza stones because they give the pizza a very authentic crispy crust!!

Last Fall, I tested three popular pizza baking methods:

1) Pizza pan –> Soft crust, soft interior

2) Back of a baking sheet –> Soft crust, soft interior

3) Pizza Stone –> Authentic, crunchy crust, with soft interior

The pizza stone won by a landslide!

20101016IMG 6873 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

However, on Saturday night, we used pans to save time since we had 3 large and 4 mini pizzas to cook! It was just enough dough for everyone (I made a double batch).

IMG 1092 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

After baking for about 15 minutes, pizza perfection was achieved.

IMG 9432 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Nothing to be scared of, trust me!

Now, go on and try your hand at your own homemade pizza crust. I’m confident you can rock it!!

IMG 9439 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Pizza from scratch is always a crowd pleaser no matter who you are entertaining.

20101016IMG 6905 thumb1   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Pizza fear conquered.

20101016IMG 7128 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Now who wants to come over for a pizza party?

20101015IMG 6342 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

We can have Fruit Pizza with Avocado Lime whip for dessert. ;)

Bev Weidner August 2, 2011

Ha! you look just like me with your laptop in the kitchen. And even more like me with wine by the laptop.

We should be friends.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

We’d be in good company! heh

RaeMay June 22, 2014

Me too, wine on the counter while making the dough. By the way, your pizza dough is the best and easy to make, my kids love it.

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife August 2, 2011

Mmmm, looks so delicious! I LOVE making my own pizza, my mom taught me how to do it when I was in high school and I’ve been making it ever since! There’s something especially rewarding about eating a pizza that you made yourself.

kalli August 2, 2011

gosh angela this looks so beautiful! glad you enjoyed all the time with your family…..welcome back :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

Thanks! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 2, 2011

Great “how to”! Making your own dough seems so overwhelming, but once you get it down there’s no sub for fresh dough! :)

kaila @ healthyhelper August 2, 2011

Homemade dough makes for the BEST pizza! My dad worked in a pizzeria when he was in college so he makes the best, authentic dough….there really is nothing better! I can’t wait to try your method out!

The Teenage Taste August 2, 2011

Your pizza dough recipe is one of my all-time favorites. I don’t normally make my own pizza dough but when I do I always go for your recipe. It’s so easy and has never failed me! :-P

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 2, 2011

Me please!! This looks delicious Ange! I remember all of your dough trials for PFB and it looks like you’re a pro now! :) Sounds like you had a great time with your family and I’m sure they were all very well fed. I’m totally craving pizza now, and it’s only 10am!

katie@ KatieDid August 2, 2011

If only I could find a great gluten free mix to work with! I’ve been searching but the ones I have tried do not do pizza any justice. If anyone has found a good mix I’d love to know (comment below!). This looks so great Angela, homemade pizza brings back tons of fond childhood memories for me.

Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde August 2, 2011

I’ve never ever made home made pizza dough but now its on my must make list! But first i will have to figure out where the pizza stone is i haven’t unpacked yet :)
That last picture of the dessert pizza took my breath away :D

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing August 2, 2011

Aw, I’m sure that pizza party will be one your family (especially the kiddos) remember forever :)

cathy August 2, 2011

thanks for the AWESOME step-by-step instructions and beautiful photos, angela! i bet you were “auntie of the year” with the pizza party!
so glad you had such a good time with your family. as a devoted auntie myself, i can appreciate how you’re feeling today – hugs!

Ashley August 2, 2011

Gorgeous pizzas and great tutorial! I love this pizza crust too and have made it with all whole wheat flour successfully. :)

Kate August 2, 2011

THIS IS AWESOME! I’m a huge fan of make-your-own-pizza with friends and family, but I’ve never been successful with my dough-making attempts so I’ve always just bought Trader Joe’s. Thanks for this! will have to test it out with a bottle of pinot grigio sometime :-P. love your blog btw!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

Thanks Kate :)

alyssa - fashion fitness foodie August 2, 2011

You make it look so easy and beautiful!

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine August 2, 2011

This is such a great post–I love it! Will definitely trying it. :) (With the bottle of wine, of course–can’t leave that step out!)

Emily August 2, 2011

Yummm, looks like such a fun pizza party! Love make your own pizza’s, so good and such a great way to entertain and customize the menu :)

Kerry August 2, 2011

Do you think it is possible to freeze pizza dough?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

Yes you absolutely can! I havent done it yet, but I have heard from many people who do.

I got this from Chowhound forum:

‘If you do two rises, do it b/w the first and second rise. If you do one rise, do it after you make it. Shape it into a disk, zap it with little oil, saran wrap it and then put it into a ziplock. Deep freeze is better than your regular freezer b/c it can be frozen longer and won’t tend to form as much ice on it. When you thaw it, take it out the night before and put it (still wrapped) into the fridge. A few hours before use, unwrap and oil it, put it in a big bowl and cover it as you would to proof. Use when it has risen. I am sure they say 3 months storage, but I have gone 6 months without ill effect. Also, you can oil up the dough portions, stuff them in a ziplock and store in the fridge for up to five days. Warm as I said above. You can make flat bread with them.’

Zestful Lou August 2, 2011

I, too, was scared to make my own pizza dough, but it finally came time to conquer those fears and I’m so glad I did because it was the best crust I’d ever tasted!

Stefani August 2, 2011

Welcome back! The guest posts were great, but there’s nothing like the real thing! Your pizza party looks like it was a lot of fun. We have mini pizzas every Sunday, but the crusts we buy are so expensive, I would love to make a big batch of your dough and freeze it for our pizzas. Can I do that? What would be the proper storage method and how long do you think it would last? Thank you for your help!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

See my reply to kerry below! :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 2, 2011

I have been buying premade crust or I’ve been making a homemade crust that is just ok — kind of like if you make pizza english muffins — it tastes ok but it is not the real deal. THIS looks like the real deal! And I am so asking for a pizza stone for my birthday :)

sharon August 2, 2011

that looks absolutely amazing!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans August 2, 2011

I love homemade pizza because there is a lot more say as to what goes into it and what doesn’t. I load mine with veggies and fresh sauce and it doesn’t cost and arm and a leg!!

Britt August 2, 2011

I love making homemade pizza… But I guess I am sort of lazy and always buy the pre-made crust… the whole process of making the dough from scratch is sort-of intimating, but I am sure the flavours and textures are well worth it!

jess @ cupcakes and kale August 2, 2011

congrats on conquering your pizza fears! it’s hard to imagine fearing it when they look as amazing as those though :) …. especially that pesto ‘za… looks so devine!

jess @ cupcakes and kale August 2, 2011

so divine, that my words got jumbled up and i spelled divine wrong the first time! ;)

ashley rebekah August 2, 2011

i made your vegan pizza last night, with the roasted veggies and pesto? oh, holy, my god, YUM. that pesto is hands down the best i’ve ever had, and i’ve had (and made) a LOT of pesto.

great step-by-step tutorial. ye shall not fear dough!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

So glad you enjoyed it Ashley!!! Its my faaaaav way to eat pizza

Aly August 2, 2011

Angela, this came at a perfect time!!! My kids want to make pizza and I said but, for obvious reasons, I want a healthy version So, I have been in pursuit of a perfect pie! Voila!! Thanks so much! I have one question: About how long did it take to complete start to finish? I just want to be able to gauge when to start in order to complete by dinner. Again, thanks so much for the MANY, MANY uber-fabulous recipes and non-food related posts. Your truly an inspiration!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

Due to the double rising time, (total 1 hr 45 mins), I would guess that you’d need 2 hours + 5-10 mins for the crust (without baking) but keep in mind that most of it is INACTIVE time (aka you can leave the kitchen!). Bake time is roughly 12-18 mins depending on temp and method used.

Rachel August 2, 2011

I think I need to make pizza tonight..

Rachel August 2, 2011

Great how-to! I’ve always been afraid of pizza dough, but you make it seem really easy. I guess I need to get over it and give it a try :)

Shanna, Like Banana August 2, 2011

These look picture perfect!

And isn’t it amazing how a glass (or bottle) of wine helps make the best recipes? ;-P

VeggieGirl August 2, 2011

can you make the pizza dought on one evening, then use it the next evening for dinner if it is covered and put in the fridge? I was just wondering because I could do the whole ‘let it rise for 2 hours’ thing after dinner while doing homework and then when I get home from work the next day it would only be a matter of baking it!

Is there a vegan pizza topping combo that tastes yummy and doesnt involve alternate cheese? Maybe something with pesto etc?

Thanks :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

Ive heard you can keep pizza dough in the fridge for up to 5 days.

My PFFB recipe found here: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/10/17/project-food-blog-challenge-5-a-pizza-complex/
Has the non-cheese toppings (pesto vegetable mixture- my fav)

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 2, 2011

This looks great!
Do you know of any substitutes I could use for the wheat? I’m allergic :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

I would try googling non-wheat versions of pizza dough. im sure Gluten free girl has some too!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 2, 2011

Oo okie dokie I will
Thanks :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 2, 2011

I love making homemade dough even though it’s SO time consuming – this post makes me want to go home and make a batch!

LizAshlee August 2, 2011

That looks like the PERFECT pizza! Great step-by-step instructions..sounds more simple than I imagined…it also sounds somewhat time consuming. Did you make the pizza the same day to be enjoyed or prep the day before?

Thanks for the great tips! Have a beautiful day!! :)

Girl in the pink August 2, 2011

Okay I always use a dough hook, so next time I’ll do it by hand! Great tip!

Jenny August 2, 2011

It’s all fun and games until you fry your MacBook Pro by tipping over that glass of wine. Or was that just me? Yup. Just me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

ouch!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 2, 2011

I can’t wait to give my own crust a try on a lazy weekend (the only time I have the time!) it looks like it makes a huge difference! These look amazing :)

Beth August 2, 2011

I’ve been making my own pizza dough for several years and wouldn’t have it any other way. I use my dough hook on the mixer, though, so maybe one day when I have time I’ll hand-knead. I’ll try your recipe, too, and see how it does.
(BTW, I made the chilled double chocolate torte Sunday and it came out beautifully!)

Aly August 2, 2011

I’d love to try the dough hook method!! How long do you “knead” the dough this way? Thanks!

Beth August 2, 2011

Hi Aly! My recipe calls for hand kneading for 5-7 minutes, so I usually let the mixer go for 4 minutes or so until the dough starts getting wrapped up too much on the hook. I’m sure hand-kneading is better but there are only so many minutes in a day, so I let the mixer do the work. Good luck!

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers August 2, 2011

I want to come over for a pizza party! I still have a fear of doing this, but it sounds like a worthwhile Saturday evening activity. Thanks for the tips!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. August 2, 2011

OMG. I wish I could have been there! I made my hubby sit through the whole event, the, um, bad tv event!! I don’t know how I got sucked into this season’s show, but somehow I did and immersed myself into the ridiculous melodrama each week, while eating vegan food!! Which guy were you rooting for?? I have to give my hubby this post as he somehow thinks that making a crust is too difficult for him, and I am too lazy to do it!! Beautiful photos, as always!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

JP all the way!!! From day 1, he was my pick :) What a catch!

i dont know how I got sucked into it either b/c I hadnt watched since season 1!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet August 2, 2011