Heat Wave Summer Salad

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 21, 2011

IMG_9171-2

Welcome to the Heat Wave of 2011. Are you melting too?

Today it’s supposed to reach 38C (100F)…and 47C with humidity! Humidity is such a party pooper. Anyone who lives in a humid climate knows what I’m talking about.

And the hair.

Oh my hair.

Just picture a tumbleweed in the Sahara that got struck by lightening and then jumped in a puddle.

hamptonstumbleweed_by_michaelanthony

[source]

That’s my hair right now.

Sketchie did this when he saw me this morning. ahhh!

IMG_0271

Thankfully, summer salads always look composed and pulled together no matter how hot it is. I love to grab some seasonal fresh fruit (or vegetables), greens, protein & grains, and mix it up with a homemade dressing. Presto magico.

Serving it with a huge margarita is highly encouraged.

IMG_9175-2

After mixing together the chickpeas, speltberries, peaches, and berries…I felt something was missing…

IMG_9134

Sautéed garden kale and chopped almonds did the trick. :) Of course, you can get creative with whatever you have on hand. There are no rules with salad making.

IMG_9135

IMG_9132

After mixing the Cinnamon Maple dressing, it all came together. Delicious and quite refreshing thanks to the summer fruit.

IMG_9138

Ange = 1, Humidity = 647575

Hopefully kiddie pools don’t melt.

Joanna July 21, 2011 at 8:15 am

Heatwave? I wish. We’re having rain and unseasonably cold weather here in the UK – I’ve had to scroll back into history and download your winter recipes for comfort food. Yesterday the heavens opened and it poured with rain just as everyone was commuting home for work – the drowned rat look isn’t good for hair, either. Will definitely be making this salad if the sun ever decided to head this way again.

Amber K July 21, 2011 at 11:21 am

I was going to say the same thing, except I’m in Oregon! Unseasonably cold and rainy here.

Julie @ Shining From Within July 21, 2011 at 8:28 am

I’m loving the heat!!! I feel guilty for saying that, but heat > snow. ;)

Andrea @ Onion in My Hair July 21, 2011 at 8:29 am

SKETCHIE ALERT!!

Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission July 21, 2011 at 8:31 am

Straightening my hair, or even pretending to look decent instead of a melted face of makeup is useless today. I’m just going to take a running start at it & not care how frizzy I am. Everyone will definitely look the same!

Joy (A Little Bit Fit) July 21, 2011 at 8:33 am

That salad looks amazing! Light, fruity and perfect for summer!

AdrienneCarolyn July 21, 2011 at 8:37 am

Seriously, I think I may die in this heat….I will be living off fruit and green monsters until conditions improve! Thanks goodness I’m escaping to cottage country for the weekend! I bet the lake will actually be warm for once! Stay cool :-)

kate July 21, 2011 at 8:39 am

ive been trying to get more apple cider vinegar in my diet so this dressing is perfect!!

Elisabeth July 21, 2011 at 8:41 am

Wow, that looks so perfect for this weather. I actually had salad for breakfast this morning. It was way too hot to contemplate anything else. Are you writing a cookbook? You really should. Your recipes are amazing.

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove July 21, 2011 at 8:41 am

The heat is getting ridiculous. It’s supposed to feel like 110 degrees today and tomorrow it’s supposed to actually be 100 (forget what it’s going to feel like!)! I am not a fan of this weather and can’t wait for things to just cool down. We’ve actually had to use our AC because our apt was getting too hot!

But this salad looks yummy – and if it’s refreshing, sign me up!

Kim July 21, 2011 at 8:43 am

Oh my!! That looks wonderful for hot weather! My car showed that it was 107 yesterday down here in Texas!! Ick!! Soo ready for fall!!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black July 21, 2011 at 8:48 am

The flavors and the textures in this salad sound so wonderful!

Estela @ Weekly Bite July 21, 2011 at 8:49 am

What a delicious looking salad! I love all the fruit in it :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) July 21, 2011 at 8:54 am

hahah! my hair is crazy too. i’ll take the heat over snow ANY day! i think summer is going by too fast actually, and wish it felt as long as winter does

Cait's Plate July 21, 2011 at 8:55 am

Ahahaha – that is my hair right now too!! And that picture of Sketchie is amazing. How adorable.

Just looking at this salad made me feel cooler and more refreshed – love it!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious July 21, 2011 at 8:59 am

The radio said that Southwestern Ontario is hotter today that Mumbai, Havana, Kandahar and Athens ~ Insane!! I’m having the same issues with my hair – I don’t know why I waste time drying and straightening it because it become a giant poof the minute I walk out the door.

This salad looks just perfect for this kind of day! You’ve made my fall in love with kale ~ I think I need to be planting some next year!!

Stay cool!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2011 at 9:39 am

I would believe that!

Beach Bum Beauty July 21, 2011 at 9:00 am

I wish we had some heat. Here in England it’s positively grey and quite cold :-(

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes July 21, 2011 at 9:03 am

It is supposed to reach 49 C in my city today with the humidity….boo! my hair is a squirrels nest because of it….haha great looking salad though! I have never tried spelt berries before :)

Diana July 21, 2011 at 9:03 am

Everything you make is so beautiful! Can’t wait to try this in my own kitchen as it is absolutely heat wave central here in NYC! This would be fine were it not for the 10 mile run I have planned for this weekend and half-marathon next weekend…rats!

Danielle July 21, 2011 at 9:09 am

It’s gross here in NYC too! Yuck. And my hair… I totally understand :) thank so much for this recipe though! It sounds good enough to make the stickiness more bearable.

Ellen July 21, 2011 at 9:15 am

Your post today is hillarious! Thanks for the smile :) And I’m drooling over your salad. That looks much better than the spinach, peach, and walnut salad I packed today. My husband and I still have your berry/quinoa salad on our list of salads to try – hopefully this weekend! Stay cool…

Heather July 21, 2011 at 9:19 am

I feel you on the heat wave, it’s been ridiculous here in PA. Two weekends ago we went and bought a not-so-kiddie pool for the backyard *God send*. I say rock the crazy lady hair, I’ve been :-)

Amanda July 21, 2011 at 9:21 am

Im graving for some sun and heat. Down here all it does is raining cats and dogs, blegh! I love this recipe. I should print it before the summer finally hits. Good luck with the humidity today!
Oh I love, love, love Sketchie!!! He’s such a crazy cat – just like mine :)

OSGMOM July 21, 2011 at 9:21 am

I can’t wait to make this salad dressing! I wish I could send you some fresh Mountain air. Keep well hydrated and stay cool!

Kat July 21, 2011 at 9:25 am

I hear you on the humidity – Florida is that way most of the year :/
and you’d be surprised at what the sun will melt – citronella candles do NOT survive (and that was in March!)

kaila @ healthyhelper July 21, 2011 at 9:32 am

THIS LOOKS AMAZING! I love every ingredient in this! All of my fave foods rolled into one dish!

Renata July 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

Your kitty Sketchie is the CUTEST! Every time I see that little kitty I get a huge grin on my face :D What type of cat is he?

The salad looks scrumptious by the way…

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2011 at 9:38 am

hes a Bengal :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 21, 2011 at 9:37 am

Whoh! 100 degrees F?! I thought it was hot here! But your salad looks divine!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 21, 2011 at 9:40 am

I know the heat can be miserable but I will take it any day over the cold! Please take a pic of yourself in the kiddie pool if you actually do it. That’s blog worthy ;)

Heather July 21, 2011 at 9:41 am

Oh my gosh it is so hot out. I was suppose to have a group ride and they cancelled it based on the anticipated 50C with humidity! My youngest is at an outdoor camp today too but luckily he is at Kelso and hopefully they will be in the lake lots.

That salad looks amazing. I need to pick up some kale and then making asap.

Faith @ For the Health of It July 21, 2011 at 9:42 am

I don’t think there’s anything worse than humidity…especially here in Florida! It’s so wretched because it’s not that bad when you wake up, but if you walk outside in the afternoon – watch out!

Liz @ Something To Chew On July 21, 2011 at 9:42 am

That looks so yummy! The heat is supposed to hit us in western Canada over the weekend. Ah!

Don’t melt!!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 21, 2011 at 9:44 am

Sketchie is too cute! Thanks for another delicious looking recipe – hope you can stay cool!

Hayley @ Oat Couture July 21, 2011 at 9:49 am

Serving EVERYTHING with a huge margarita is encouraged in this weather! ;) Salad looks lovely! Hope the humidity drops off for you! That or you have air conditioning at least?! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 21, 2011 at 9:52 am

Love the sounds of this one – I want to go home and make it during my lunch hour today!! Sadly I’ve gobbled up all my berries but maybe I’ll tuck it away for the weekend. I’m trying not to complain about the heat because I complained about winter for so long, but this is…. um… rather warm! And I feel ya on the hair… today is definitely a hair-up day for me!

Lindsey @ Why Just Eat July 21, 2011 at 9:53 am

I never thought to put chickpeas in a fruity salad – that sounds so yummy!

Baking N Books July 21, 2011 at 9:53 am

Looks perfect! Perfect timing too indeed. I am addicted to Kale lately. And chocolate – but that’s another story :)

Lillian July 21, 2011 at 9:57 am

It’s so true what you say about hair and humidity! With a projected heat index of 110 in DC today, my hair looks like a misshapen shrubbery. It’s truly hideous.

I’m definitely on the same page regarding summer salads, too – this looks delish! (I made a fruity, chickpea-laden salad myself last night, and it hit the spot.) Here’s to salads and A/C, both of which make these ludicrous heat waves survivable… :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 21, 2011 at 10:00 am

Gee, I wonder why you used kale? ;) Looks great!

Heather (heathers dish) July 21, 2011 at 10:06 am

I am so over the heat and we don’t even have to deal with the humidity! Hang in there girl :)

LizAshlee July 21, 2011 at 10:11 am

Sketchie is adorable! What a great photo!

I love the recipe…soaking quinoa right now so maybe I will create a similar version:) Thanks for a great recipe!

You can…beat the heat! :)

XO

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 21, 2011 at 10:13 am

I’m going to come to Canada ans cat-nap Sketchie. Such a gorgeous/adorable kitty!!!

Your salad looks fantastic – it’s ridiculously hot down here in Georgia. I had to post a smoothie Top 5 today since that’s all I can stand to had post-run there days.

VeggieGirl July 21, 2011 at 10:16 am

We have 80% humidity here in Florida…ugh!! Though we wont be as hot as you for a change- wow!!
Humidity tip for hair- if you saturate your hair with a smoothing serum (I use a generic one from Sallys) while it is still wet it doesnt let the humidity saturate it when its dry. Of there will still be a little frizzyness but it will not be nearly as bad :)

Girl in the pink July 21, 2011 at 10:17 am

Wow, I have to make this , it looks so gooood!

What kind of cat is that?! I want one!!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 21, 2011 at 10:24 am

Looks delish Angela! It’s 15 degrees and raining here in Ireland…but your salad will still taste good! :)

Lindsey July 21, 2011 at 10:35 am

That salad looks delicious! I am going to make it as soon as I can! Love the fresh berries in it and kale – which is literally exploding in my garden right now!

Katrina July 21, 2011 at 10:36 am

This salad looks lovely! Awesome recipe.

Sush July 21, 2011 at 10:48 am

Why, thank you, I believe I shall indulge…the sooner the better!
Hugs~

Rhona July 21, 2011 at 10:50 am

I know! It is brutally hot right? I am in Kitchener right now for work and it is no cooler here. I walked out of the cool hotel this morning to almost melt on the ground with the heat. I was actually shocked.
Honestly, that salad looks amazing! Pretty, colorful, low far and packed with flavors and health. Another yummy bookmarked for me, Angela.

Georgina July 21, 2011 at 10:51 am

Beautiful salad! This is exactly what we need with this heat.

Belated congrats on being nominated on Chatelaine. Voted for you! :)

ittybitsofbalance July 21, 2011 at 10:52 am

LOVE the idea of mixing fruit in! mmmm– very summery

Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 21, 2011 at 10:53 am

You patriotic, maple loving, Canadian. JK New Yorkers love it too. That salad dressing looks fantastic!!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race July 21, 2011 at 10:56 am

My hair is in a permanent ponytail until at least September :P It is so hot! Sketchie is so freaking adorable! I want to squeeze and smooch him every time you post a picture. Gah!

The salad looks delicious!

Jenny July 21, 2011 at 10:56 am

Umm what? Heat wave? Where?! … Think you could send some of that heat over to the West Coast? Maybe Vancouver in particular? Please? I don’t know what’s up with our weather, but I feel as though the seasons this past year have just been: Summer –> Winter –> Fall. I don’t like having to carry a jacket around “just in case”… when it’s supposed to be summer! :(

Such a great idea to pair the more bitter kale with sweeter fruit. Looks like such a light, yummy lunch or dinner! I’m all over any recipe that features cinnamon as a key flavour. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2011 at 11:03 am

I heard on the news last night that BC has had no summer yet…. =(

Jenny July 21, 2011 at 11:45 am

That’s unfortunately very true! It’s too bad that we can’t steal a couple of degrees from your weather to knock it down a bit… and to bring ours up a bit. As much as a cold/cool summer isn’t particularly pleasant, a broiling hot one isn’t either – hope there’s some relief from the hot weather on the way for you! In the meantime, seems like you’re keeping cool with awesome recipes like this one. :) Stay cool! ( That sounds so lame, haha.)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Stay warm Jenny! haha

Erin July 21, 2011 at 10:59 am

Meanwhile on Canada’s west coast we’re supposed to reach a whopping 18C today…. why can’t there be a happy medium?!

BTW, this salad looks amazing :)

sam July 21, 2011 at 11:13 am

That salad looks delish and refreshing!
I hear ya about humidity. It’s supposed to be 100F here today, but feel like 110F. ICK!!! Hope you can stay cool and dry today :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 21, 2011 at 11:15 am

I wish we had heat here! Just rain :( this looks super refreshing. Love fruit in salads.

Ashley July 21, 2011 at 11:27 am

This salad screams summer!! And it’s gorgeous. Love that first photo!! I think key lime donuts would pair well for dessert. You should head out our way…90* but dry as a bone!

lindsay July 21, 2011 at 11:27 am

oh this is a perfect summer salad. Very thirst quenching. Berries are a great addition. Its been 100 +F here so anything COLD and sweet is perfect!

Roz July 21, 2011 at 11:30 am

I feel for you. The heat of your area was the lead story on the news here in B.C. today. ug. Hope you are able to get some relief soon.

Carissa July 21, 2011 at 11:30 am

It hasn’t even been cooling off at night! My company is having an energy reductino initiative because of how much it’s costing to use the A/C. Yikes!
We made your choc chip cookie blizzard last night. It was perfect for the heat – no oven required and a nice icy chill to it. Yum. Thanks!

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 21, 2011 at 11:51 am

It’s kind of nice that you have heat. Here in BC it’s been on and off, and humid and then stormy when it does get hot but mostly it’s just cool, which is so weird. But I’d rather be cold than have hot and humid!
Love your salad. Greens and blueberries sounds awesome together, plus all that extra fruit! Yum! Just the kind of thing I do crave when it’s hot.

Jen July 21, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I knew Sketchie was just a fancy stuffed animal! We can see his seam!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

LOL omg I just looked and its true!

Balancing Sylvia July 21, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Sketchie is absolutely gorgeous and hilarious!
This kinda weather makes me grateful for the dry heat of Arizona. 111? Not bad when compared to 103 with humidity :D The salad dressing sounds DELICIOUS.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty July 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm

awwwh and on the west coast we are at 15 degrees today and it’s the first day of sunshine in FOREVER! Maybe we can talk to mother nature and get a happy medium?

This looks incredible as always! :)

AGS @ West With Flight July 21, 2011 at 12:43 pm

“Thankfully, summer salads always look composed and pulled together no matter how hot it is.” Great sentence — great tie-in between the heat/hair/salad. Really nicely written — and true, too!!

Meredith Snyder July 21, 2011 at 1:58 pm

That salad looks yummy, but what I really got excited about was the Fiestaware you put it in! I’m such a dork for that.

Namaste Gurl July 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Wow, what a fun summer salad that is featuring in season produce! definitely making this for the family or just by myself :)
Hope you stay cool!

Hannah (Culture Connoisseur) July 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Mmm. This is looking good! I’m definitely putting this on my menu for lunches next week!

And YES, I know what you are talking about. I live in Orlando and I feel like I’m dying. And I haven’t had a decent hair day in weeks.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Um heck yes. All of my favorite things in one bowl. YESSSS

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm

This heat wave is nuts! I just walked outside and felt like I stepped into a sauna! Hope you’re staying cool. :)

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine July 21, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Haha a little bit of irony for ya…

On April Fools (either this year or last year?), you almost had us convinced that you were getting a pool. I guess this is Mother Nature’s version of a July fools joke :)

Ashley July 21, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I hate humidity! Every summer when I was kid we always went to Iowa, and it was awful! I hate feeling like I need another shower right after I go outside! Good luck:) And the salad looks amazing!

Tasha July 21, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Yummy looking salad!! Sketchie is absolutely precious … what type of kitty is he? (He looks like one of those cats with a wee bit of wild cat in him! So pretty!!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Thanks he’s a Bengal :)

Allysia July 21, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Oh man, I love fruit in salad. This looks like love. When it gets this hot out, all I want to do is eat fruit. We’re not used to the humidity here in Saskatchewan and were totally meltified lately with the 40+ weather. Though I think I prefer hot over cold!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Ok the salad looks stellar! Love all the bright colors that are just POPPING off the page.

And clearly Sketchie is wanting to POP off the page. That’s a classic shot!!

The weather here in San Diego is about 72F, sunny, breezy, no humidity, no bugs, not a cloud in the sky. Move here, okay? :)

Ragnhild July 21, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I just love all of your salad creations! Fruits and berries in salads is the best thing ever! This looks refreshing and good- and I love the added kale!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble July 21, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I love this simple bean and green salad. Makes for a great light meal in the heat!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble July 21, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I also love your kitty and his pretty markings! Is he/she a particular breed?

Andrea July 21, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Oh my gosh this looks PERFECT for today! It’s like walking through soup out there! Stay cool :)

Victoria July 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm

It’s 95 degrees just outside NYC. And the humidity? Oh my gosh. Your hair is a tumbleweed, mine is a chia pet. No amount of hair product or air conditioning can control this ‘fro.

Katherine July 21, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Gah that looks freaking amazing!

Jacqui July 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Hello!
I’ve been quietly following your blog for a while now, and this is my first comment! Just wanted to say you’re a real inspiration Angela, I just went vegan about a week ago – the only reason I hadn’t already was because I’m at other people’s houses for dinner a lot and didn’t want to be a pain. Now I’ve just thought, we can make it work. Your blog has given me lots of recipes to try and made me believe in what I’m doing.
Also, I’m in Tasmania (Australia), and today we’re expected to reach a maximum of 11C, so I’d swap with you anyday! And Sketchie is THE cutest cat (well, second to mine anyway :) ) !

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Thanks so much Jacqui! Congrats :)

Alaina July 21, 2011 at 4:56 pm

It is bah-rutal down here in Boston. Heat I’m ok with, but not this humidity. I don’t even bother doing my hair; I just throw it into a low pony tail and am done with it.

Love this salad!

Shannon July 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Mmm, looks great! It’s between 105-110 here in Phoenix, and I’m going to Oklahoma where it’s 101 with tons of humidity. I love the photos of your cat. This looks delicious!

Sara July 21, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Ang, I totally feel you in the heat. Downtown Toronto is horrendous, even my daily 2 block walk to the bulk food and produce just around the corner took double the time- dragging my sandalled feet every step of the way.

I made this salad for dinner with some substitutions (didn’t have everything needed in the fridge, and didn’t want to go out in the heat again) and it worked out great!

I substituted:
quinoa for speltberry
mangoes, plums, and a nectarine for the peaches (used up fruit in the fridge)
black beans (just cooked a batch last night) for chickpeas
and added a little bit of nutmeg.

It was INCREDIBLE! You’re right, there are NO RULES in salad making, and the weirder you get, often, THE BETTER!

Stay cool, lovely lady.

Sara

Susan July 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Oh that cat!

Brooke July 21, 2011 at 9:23 pm

This looks delicious!

Brooke Annessa
www.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com

Brooke July 21, 2011 at 9:24 pm

This looks delicious!

Brooke Annessa
www.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com

sheelbeel July 21, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I have leftover kale so this recipe is just what I was looking for! Thanks so much!

Kelsey July 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm

This looks incredible. I can’t wait to make it!

Stephanie July 21, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I NEED TO TRY THAT DRESSING. I’m all out of maple syrup at the moment (bad Canadian) so I might sub brown rice syrup. It won’t be nearly as good but I think (hope, really) it will be edible.

laura July 21, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Send some heat over to the west coast! :)
This salad looks fantastic.

Kim (The Newly Wedded) July 21, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I can’t believe the heat wave is affecting you in Canada as well! Here in the midwest, it’s 110 degrees. I am dying. A salad sounds really nice – I, unfortunately, have been gorging on ice cream and pastries in this heat. I wish I could like kale… I am still not use to its taste.

Kathryn July 22, 2011 at 3:05 am

Oh wow. What kind of cat is that?

Meredith July 22, 2011 at 6:07 am

I understand the humidity thing, it’s sooo humid in Halifax right now… I was moving a bit slow on my run this morning, the humidity really affects me!

This recipe looks awesome! Serving it with a margarita sounds fantastic.

Currently enjoying a green monster, inspired by the one you posted not long ago, with mango, berries and Vega Vanilla Almondilla; I love it! I ate a little too much sugar last night, and this is definitely detoxifying :).

Heather McWhorter July 22, 2011 at 6:26 am

This sounds sooooo yummy! I am definitely going to have to give this recipe a try this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny July 22, 2011 at 7:25 am

The high in Texas is 103 all week….I feel your pain!
Salad looks amazing!!!!

Jessica July 22, 2011 at 7:34 am

oh yeah.. that’s my hair too. and Sketchie is so cute! lovin me some Sketchie

Amanda July 22, 2011 at 8:41 am

HAHA! That tumbleweed picture made me bust out laughing!

michelle July 22, 2011 at 7:50 pm

My hair is so out of control in this humidity that I even sleep with it in a bun :( I am so making this salad on Sunday after the farmers market!

Elaine July 24, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I am so interested in trying this salsd that I am going to go out and get my supplies tommorow!

Thank you so much!!

Aimee July 25, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I honestly don’t know how you come up with such combinations but I’m so grateful that you share them. I just finished making it and only had a taste, but it is absolutely delicious.

Aimee July 26, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Just made this and once again….FABULOUS!!! Havn’t tried a recipie yet that we havn’t all loved! Even the kids…HORAY!
Thank you so much for sharing…my life is changed for the better ever since I found your blog!!!

Melissa July 28, 2011 at 1:07 pm

ohh this salad sounds super summery and delicious!! the heat wave finally broke here in the Philadelphia area…hope you stay cool!

Holly July 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Used mango in place of peaches since it was the only ingredient I didn’t have on hand…..So Delish that I just made it again for the second time this week. Thanks!!

Marian April 19, 2012 at 9:40 am

Still tasty in the not-so-hot April in Maryland! Canned peaches made a decent sub, too. Love the cinnamon and maple syrup dressing with the fruit. I will be using that dressing again.

Elise @ Expeditions of Elise July 9, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Wow I just made this recipe and I am quite satisfied! I’ve never had wheatberries before and I’m loving their chewiness. Not to mention I have some of the ripest fruit EVER going on in this salad…I may need to throw this together again for lunch with the leftovers! Thanks for a great recipe!

Diane June 25, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I just made this & it is amazing! I topped everything on spinach leaves instead of kale. I also put a little olive oil & maple syrup right on the wheatberries after they cooked. Read somewhere that the flavor locks in at this time. First time cooking up wheatberries. Love the dressing too! A great dish for some hot weather here in SC!