7 Workouts I’m Loving This Summer

This past Spring, I challenged myself to include more variety in my workouts. After a long Winter, I found myself in a workout rut and I knew I needed to mix things up.

In May, I fell in love with Hot Yoga and it renewed my enthusiasm for trying new forms of exercise. Since then, I’ve been mixing things up almost everyday and my body is the happiest its been in a while! I thought I would share the workouts that I’m excited about this summer and maybe you can share what you’re loving too!

1) Spinning

Spinning

[source]

If running gives me the ultimate workout high, spinning is a very close second. In university, I signed up for a couple 3 month spinning classes and I fell in love with spinning almost instantly.

One of my June Goals was to incorporate spinning back into my life and I’m so happy that I got back on the bike! I’ve been going about once a week and I look forward to the spinning high every time.

My only complaint about spinning is that I tend to get groin/crotch pain from the seat. However, this time around, I’ve been wearing my padded Pearl Izumi bike shorts (that I wore during our triathlon training) and they help a lot.

2) Short Distance Speed Running

20100906IMG_2410_thumb

Instead of focusing on long distance training runs and races like I did the past two summers, I decided I would focus on shorter speed runs this summer. I’m running a couple 5k races in the near future to celebrate my training!

Not only does speed training challenge my lungs, muscles, and mental stamina, but it also gives my joints a break from long-mileage runs. So far this summer, I haven’t had any aches or pains, which is a first for me when training. I must be on the right track…

3) High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) via hill walking

ss_101272367

[source]

Some days it’s just too hot to workout outdoors, so I like to hit the treadmill and sweat it out inside. When I first started blogging, I was in love with treadmill hill walking and it also got my body in shape for my wedding (along with resistance exercises). When I crank up the incline between 10-15%, it’s one of the most intense workouts that I do. When a walk is harder than a run, you know you are pushing yourself!

High Intensity Interval Training is exercise that involves intense bursts of exercise (e.g., sprinting) followed by moderate intensity exercise (e.g., jogging) repeated in an interval format. It’s great because you can squeeze a powerful workout into a short amount of time and it’s also said to increase your resting metabolic rate for 24 hours post-exercise. I like to do hill walking intervals alternating with slow jogs (with decreased incline) for about 30 minutes. For more info, see this post.

4) Body Pump & 30 Day Shred

img036

[source]

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not in love with weight lifting, but I love how it makes me feel (confident! strong!) and of course how it tones my muscles. I first started doing Body Pump back in university and I’ve gone through spurts with it over the years. I like going once a week and I also enjoy the Booty Camp Fitness and 30-Day Shred workout DVDs for a quick home strength workout.

5) At-home Yoga

IMG_56121

In May, I went to over 22 hot yoga classes in 1 month and I was completely hooked. I debated buying a class pass for a while, but as soon as the hot weather hit I found that I didn’t crave the hot yoga classes like I did during our chilly Spring. For me, Hot Yoga is more desirable during cooler months. Lately, I’ve been doing at-home yoga once a week or if I’m sore after a workout.

6) Whittle My MIddle

In June, one of my goals was to rock out 2 Whittle My Middle sessions per week and I achieved this goal for the most part (except 1 week that I bailed on it). My core feels and looks stronger than it has in a while. Now that I’ve built up my ‘base’, I’ve been doing weekly core exercises to maintain the work I did in June. I do about 5 minutes of core work per week (of these core exercises). It’s just enough to keep my core strong without having to devote too much time to it.

7) Hiking

20101024IMG_8585

Don’t mind those two weirdos…you never know who you are going to bump into on a hike!

And don’t forget to rest…

My workouts would not be possible without 1-2 rest days per week. Rest days should be part of the weekly plan, just like any other workout!

And blizzards, lots and lots of blizzards.

What workouts are you enjoying this Summer?

I received some exciting news that I’ve been nominated in Chatelaine’s Women of the Year Contest, in the Hot 20 under 30 category! I’m honoured to be nominated among so many amazing Canadian women.

I remember reading about this contest in Chatelaine each year and thinking to myself how much I would love to make a difference. And you know what? I told myself that I would never be able to. I guess it goes to show that our negative thoughts are not always right and we can prove them wrong.

Please check out the nominees and VOTE for your favs!

“It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not.” ~D.W.

1 Amanda July 20, 2011

You got my vote! Thanks again for being so inspiring. Congrats on the nomination!

2 Peggy @ freshnutrition July 20, 2011

HIIT, Yoga and Spinning are my faves!! Love the way they feel and make my heart pump. Good for you for keeping up the variety, so much more fun that way!

3 Molly @ RDexposed July 20, 2011

Running is my first love, but I love how fiesty spinning instructors get!! Gives you that boost of energy to crank up your resistence!

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

Me too…they really push you, eh?

5 Joy (A Little Bit Fit) July 20, 2011

I have always wanted to try Hot Yoga, but I don’t think we have it in my area. I love Body Pump! My new favorite workout is Zumba. I started in March and can’t get enough!

6 Joy (A Little Bit Fit) July 20, 2011

BTW – congrats on the nomination! You deserve it!

7 Dori July 20, 2011

I love this post! It is so important to try new workouts and get involved in different activities — for your body and for your sanity. Love everything you included here.

8 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 20, 2011

I am really loving my weight routines where I incorporate intervals. It my heart rate stays up and (literally) keeps me on my toes the whole time.

9 The Teenage Taste July 20, 2011

LOVE all of these workouts. Lately I’ve encorporated spinning and incline walking into my routine and I am loving it. My legs are actually uber sore today…from incline walking! I didn’t know it was possible! :-P

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

Mine too…did a hill walking/run combo yesterday and man my legs feel like bricks today!

11 Cait @ Beyond Bananas July 20, 2011

I am so upset that I have yet to find a gym in my area that offers body pump. I just want to to give a a try… once. I fear if I travel to try it out.. I will fall in love with it an then be heart broken when I simply can’t travel the distance to attend it regularly!

12 Brittany @ Runwithbritt July 20, 2011

I’m focusing on running this summer because I’m training for a marathon in November…Eek! When I have time I love to cycle and do yoga on Friday or Sunday mornings. It’s so relaxing and it’s a nice break from all the pounding on my joints.

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

Good luck with your training!

14 Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde July 20, 2011

Congrats on Chatelaine, thats amazing Angela!!! I was just reading that magazine in the lunch room, lol! Love all the workouts you mentionned and spin gives me a sore bum for days, i really need to try padded shorts :)
Love that hike photo, you two are adorable!

15 Jenna July 20, 2011

i voted for ya! you deserve it! congrats for being nominated and these are all really great work outs!

16 Natalie S. July 20, 2011

These are all great! I haven’t ever tried a spin class, but I love running — can’t run though, because it’s too hard on my knees. And I bike everywhere I go, so it seems that spin would be a natural alternative for me!

I’m really loving BodyPump this summer. I started going twice a week, and I’m really feeling toned and stronger!

17 Hayley @ Oat Couture July 20, 2011

I love lifting! I don’t do as much of it now but we do sometimes incorporate it into our routines at muay thai and it makes me feel great! Love hiking as well but I can’t seem to get the other half excited about it so I very rarely get to go! That last pictures a corker btw! Love it! :)

18 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 20, 2011

CONGRATS on Chatelaine Ange!!! :) I’m totally voting for you as soon as I submit this comment! I am not one to do much hill walking as I usually feel like running gives me the biggest bang for my buck, but it is something I’d like to incorporate into my workout regime. In addition to my usual running and teaching spin, I’m also planning to get out on my rollerblades this month, and at some point, hop in a pool and do some laps!! :)

19 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy July 20, 2011

Love the post, it is important to keep variety in your workout! This summer I am loving a class similar to body pump called power! I love that it works every muscle in my body. I have also started using a rowing machine along with my weekly running schedule! Congrats on Chatelaine! Very exciting, I voted for you, you deserve it!

20 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 20, 2011

Congrats on the nomination, that is awesome!
I love the variety of your workouts. I was really digging the combo of running + strength training I was doing until I threw my back out on Sunday. Now I’m focusing on recovery but I had never felt stronger right before it happened.

21 Hannah July 20, 2011

These all look like awesome. I can’t do many of these due to my own injuries, but I have fallen in love with yoga this summer. It makes me feel at peace with my body, which is what I need.

22 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove July 20, 2011

I’m a big fan of Yoga and Pilates but I still haven’t gotten into running (although I am trying…). Back in HS, I was a big fan of weight lifting but that ended when I no longer had access to a gym. Oh well.

PS – Congrats on the nomination! Good luck!!

23 Melissa @ Be Not Simply Good July 20, 2011

I’m running and doing push-ups/crunches. Pretty low-key. Also going for walks and swimming with my kiddos. I like to think that my yard work counts as exercise too. :) I tend to get more into workouts in the winter, when I’m less active in the course of my normal routine.

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

You can def. get in exercise in sooo many forms in the summer! I also count gardening and yard work as exercise :)

25 tasha July 20, 2011

I love all the workouts you listed, except the hot yoga — haven’t had a chance to try that one. I have recently fallen in love with pilates style classes (I never really did them before, but I am convinced that is what’s helping to draw my post-babies belly back where it belongs, hehe!) and swimming. I’m only in the pool a couple days a week, but I really dig lap swimming, especially at 5am – it’s so peaceful and the pool is virtually empty. :)

26 marla {family fresh cooking} July 20, 2011

Girl, we would have way too much fun together doing all these workouts. Great post & I love the photo of you guys!

27 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 20, 2011

I couldn’t agree more on all of these. I am SO into spinning right now! It’s one of my favorite workouts!

BTW the picture of you and your hunny in the woods cracked me up!

28 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 20, 2011

Congrats on being nominated!

I’ve been running shorter distances and doing more strength training — I lost a lot of strength when I was marathon training and I want to get that back and keep it!

29 Sarah July 20, 2011

Voted :) That would be such an honour to even be nominated! Way to go Angela!!!! I did my first Moksha hot yoga class yesterday, and I LOVED it!!! I’m going back today and I’m bringing my fiance with me :)

30 Kath July 20, 2011

Lol – that Body Pumper needs a bit more weight for the chest track, dont’ you think!

Congrats on the nomination!

31 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food July 20, 2011

Great post! Right now I’ve been doing alot of indoor running…need to get back on the spinning train for sure :)

I wish my gym had body pump! wahhhhh

32 Carolyn July 20, 2011

First of all, congratulations on the nomination! That’s so cool!

I used to do a lot of kickboxing and strength training. It was a cool concept, but I *majorly* overdid it, and tired out my body. Then I discovered yoga (all kinds, but mainly Vinyasa and Ashtanga). Now, yoga is all I do (well, that and walking everywhere–I live in a city, and I dislike the public transportation)! I have found that it has increased my strength, stamina, and overall tone much better, and much more quickly, than other exercises, including kickboxing. Plus, I actually enjoy it. I don’t approach it with a “do it or else” mentality, and it’s far from boring.

33 Lindsey @ Why Just Eat July 20, 2011

I am a huge Body Pump addict. That is the ultimate exercise high for me – muscles shaking, sweat pouring, it doesn’t get much better than that!

34 Judy July 20, 2011

I just voted. Congrats on the nomination.

35 Balancing Sylvia July 20, 2011

I’m glad you’ve found so many great workouts to enjoy. My favorite workouts outside of running are swimming and rock climbing. I can’t wait to get home so I can join a rock gym again. Congratulations on your nomination!!! You absolutely deserve it lady :D

36 Katie July 20, 2011

I’ve been craving variety as well! I adjusted my workouts to allow two Zumba classes and one yoga, in addition to two or three Body Pump classes. It’s much more motivating to me not to do the same thing over and over.

37 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama July 20, 2011

I’m all about mixing up my workouts, too. Hiking, or anything that gets me outside, is my favorite way to mix it up.

38 Rhona July 20, 2011

I just voted for you. Good luck! Thank you for posting on this subject. I have been really bored with my routine lately and just love the HITT series. I just joined a gym also to get me out of my slump so I will be using the HITT and hill walking to add some variety on the treadmill. The gym also offers Body Pump classes which I was kind of afraid to take (I am picturing all these hard bodies and then me struggling in the corner) but I think I will give it a shot. It looks fun.

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

what I love about the classes is that it’s a mix of all kinds of fitness abilities. I don’t find it intimidating (and im a chicken for the most part!)

40 Mushrooms Canada July 20, 2011

Great post Angela! I am just starting to get into Interval Training, it’s definitely a change from the long distance running that I am used to!
Congrats on the Chatelaine nomination! You work really hard, and deserve it! Good Luck!
– Brittany

41 cathy July 20, 2011

congratulations on the chatelaine nomination, angela! i’m so happy for you!
strength training is not my first love, either. variety is the key to staying motivated – thanks for all your examples!
stay cool today!

42 katie July 20, 2011

wow thats such an honor, congrats! Got my vote :)
And I love the quote, it really pertains to myself right now with one of my passions that I hope to keep moving forward with. I’m my only obstacle!
Something I’ve been loving lately to mix up my workouts are stair repeats! Never thought I’d say ‘loving’ and ‘stair repeats’ together in a sentence but I’ve been enjoying the challenge.

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

Oh stairs are great! I used to climb 28 floors everyday when I lived in a condo. :) Amazing cardio.

44 kaila @ healthyhelper! July 20, 2011

I am loving a lot of these same workouts! Especially hill walking! It gives you such a great workout and I love that I’m able to do it while reading….multitasking at its finest!

45 Cait's Plate July 20, 2011

I’m totally with you on the at-home yoga. It’s been a life saver this summer! I wish I had more trails to hike around me – I’m always jealous of bloggers who have that option!

46 Cheryl July 20, 2011

Voted for you! Congrats :)

47 Julie (A Case of the Runs) July 20, 2011

I’m more into barre right now… congrats on the nomination!

48 Cait @ Cait hates Cake July 20, 2011

I’m loving non-workout workouts this summer – like walks with my puppy, water sports, playing outside w/ nieces and nephews, etc. I’m also loving the various classes at my gym (sculpting, kickboxing) – no excuses about it being too hot outside and they offer great motivation.

Congrats on the nomination!

49 kris (everyday oats) July 20, 2011

Congrats on the award!!
I’ve definitely been enjoying HIIT workouts as well as quite a bit of weight lifting this summer. I still have yet to try spinning, but hopefully I’ll get around to it by the end of summer. I’m still a little too intimidated to go..

50 Girl in the pink July 20, 2011

I love all those workout ideas. I’ve recently been doing at home yoga too!

51 Nikki T July 20, 2011

Thanks for sharing the variety of workouts! I’ve been also testing out a variety this summer, including hot yoga, HIIT on my t-mill and the New Rules of Lifting for Women program.
Congrats on the nomination!!!

52 Kelley @ Just Call Me Jack July 20, 2011

Congrats on the nomination!

I just started spinning about a month ago and LOVE it! I definitely agree with the crotch pain though… I’m gonna have to get me some of them shorts!

When you interval train and/or walk, do you listen to music? For one my post today I’m trying to gather some PUMP UP music suggestions.

I know some people don’t need music to get there motor runnin’ though… wish that were me!

53 Caroline July 20, 2011

Congrats on the nominations Angela! You have my vote for sure!

54 Heather @ girlyeverafter July 20, 2011

I just started BodyPump after months on 30 day shred and I love it! I’m a huge fan of the full body weight training.

55 Heather (heathers dish) July 20, 2011

I love all of those workouts but have to admit that hiking is always my fave :)

56 Sara July 20, 2011

This is a great post! I’ve always been a runner and it wasn’t until early this year I tried yoga for the first time and then fell in love. After that I tried HIIT workouts, and two days ago I tried my first bootcamp workout. I’m in love with all the different forms of working out- it’s like when I first became vegan- all these foods you didn’t know existed, all these amazing flavors!

Exciting!

57 Jenna | The Paleo Project July 20, 2011

1. I just discovered body pump and am in love.
2. Congratulations on even being nominated, that is something to be so so proud of!!

58 Zestful Lou July 20, 2011

For so long I was a competative runner at the high school and collegiate level, so lately I have been enjoying the simplicity of WALKING! I love going on long hour+ walks. It makes me feel relaxed but energized and I really love the way my body looks since I started. Its still very toned but less bulky. Running puts a lot of muscle on me quickly, so I am enjoying the leaner more feminine me!

59 Kate July 20, 2011

I actually really love bikram yoga in the summer! 90 minutes in the hot room, and the rest of the time in the outdoor summer heat I feel great. You need to do it regularly, but it’s a big pay off to feel like a 90-degree heat wave is no big deal and you can exercise through it.

60 Shanna, Like Banana July 20, 2011

Love hiking in Summer and Fall — it’s so calming!

Really love Bikram and Spinning, but with baby on board, I’m taking a pause ;)

61 Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary July 20, 2011

After tearing my left pec in March, I’ve been laying pretty low, doing my PT excersizes & walking… Two weeks ago my PT cleared me for normal workouts and I’ve started slowly been incorporating weights (my love) back into my workouts again. I’m doing this VERY slowly. The last few weeks I’ve been doing a bike ride 1-2 times per week, stairmill & weights 2-3 times per week, 1 long walk per week. Plus LOTS of stretching ! …and 1-2 days off depeding on how my body is feeling.

62 Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 20, 2011

Voted! :)

63 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 20, 2011

THOSE are my faves too!! Especially spinning. With a good book, it becomes to mindless!

p.s. I AM HAVING A GIVEAWAY!!

64 Sarah July 20, 2011

Congrats on your nomination! You definitely deserve it :) Xoxo, Sarah

65 Shannon ~ My Place In The Race July 20, 2011

I have just recently started spinning…LOVE IT!!! :D

66 VeggieGirl July 20, 2011

Since I have a lot of dance competitions this summer (27 dances per competition), I’m loving those major workouts. Whew! But it’s a lot of fun :)

Your Glo Bars are keeping me fueled!!

And major congratulations on the nomination.

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

you are awesome!!

68 Lindsay July 20, 2011

I’m totally in love with barre style workout classes!

69 Nikita July 20, 2011

Thanks for the fresh ideas! I have never tried spinning but a couple months ago I started riding my bike to work… at first I hated it- my neighborhood is sooo hilly and I was dying! I’m enjoying it more and more every time now. As nice as it is to try new workouts, sometimes for me I have to try them multiple times before I enjoy them!

70 Steph July 20, 2011

So addicted to spinning! I agree about having a sore butt after though, I may have to invest in some of those padded shorts! Just voted for you in the Top 20 Under 30! Good Luck!

71 Krysta July 20, 2011

Congratulations on the nomination!

I am actually just getting back to working out after recovering from back surgery, and am not yet good to run, but wanted to try a HIIT hill walking work-out- do you have any of those posted? I was having trouble finding one.

72 Hania July 20, 2011

you got my vote Angela!
I love your blog! :) It inspires me every day :) thanks!

73 Ali July 20, 2011

Congrats on Chatelaine!
I just started a 4-week program I created for myself that has kickboxing once a week, a bosu workout once a week, and pilates at home (from blogilates :)) and adding in random hikes and walks and stairs when it feels right. So far it’s going great…hope the rest of your summer workouts are great too!
Ali

74 Allie {A Teaspoon of LIFE} July 20, 2011

Love this post. Thanks so much for the HIIT info :) Haven’t heard of it before but it sounds right up my alley :)

75 Tracy @ Commit To Fit July 20, 2011

Great post! You have inspired me to borrow this idea ;) You have my vote!

76 Amber K July 20, 2011

That’s my problem! I don’t actually “like” working out. I don’t mind jumping on a machine as long as I have some good reading material, but even though I love how I feel afterwards, I don’t enjoy even a second of active stuff. I wish there were health benefits of laying on the couch losing myself in a good novel.

77 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 20, 2011

Congrats! Oh my goodness, that’s awesome news. I’ll check out the site right after I leave this comment! I’m loving HIIT workouts too, we do them on the bike on Mondays + Wednesdays. So great!

78 laura July 20, 2011

I’ve been really into bikram yoga — its been a cold July here!
Congrats on the nomination, you definatl :)ey deserve it.

79 Stephanie @ Running in the Kitchen July 20, 2011

Congrats on the nomination! You certainly deserve it! I’ve been “enjoying” running as I just started training for my first marathon. Other than that, I love nothing better than long walks in the woods with my dog and lifting weights in the morning. You get different benefits from both, but the love is equal!

80 Katrina July 20, 2011

Thanks for this! I’m always looking for new workout ideas :)

81 Julie @ Shining From Within July 20, 2011

I have been loving running, the ELLIPTICAL! (shocker… but when you have a magazine to read, time flys by…), walking on the beach, taking bike rides on my crusier. Summer time for me is all about incorporating effortless workouts into my daily life without feeling guilty for not doing any crazy workouts. It’s all about simplicity in Summer. In the Fall, I crave yoga, too! I like doing it outside in the summer though… it’s like hot yoga! Just grab my computer, a DVD, yoga mat, go outside on the deck… ahhhhhhhhhh. My fav!

82 Sam July 20, 2011

I am planning on starting bodypump and spinning! I love all of these workout ideas.Congrats on the nomination! The photo of you on the website is cute.

83 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 20, 2011

Congrats on the nomination! How cool! :) I will have to check out your whittle my middle plan! I am not a huge fan of core work but I think 2 days a week could be totally managable!

84 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 20, 2011

I’m really into spin and hot yoga – once my ankle is better I’d love to hike once in a while too, and bike outside.

85 Maria July 20, 2011

Congrats on the nomination! You couldn’t have posted this at a much better time!! I just did a blog post on not having enough motivation and different ways I was trying to get motivated. Adding variety to the mix up was one of them.

86 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty July 20, 2011

Wooo hooo
You totally deserve the nomination!! :) SOOOOOO exciting for you!!

87 AGS @ West With Flight July 20, 2011

I very much miss my heavy weight lifting sessions. . . but time does not allow visits to the gym any more. So I am sticking with stroller walks and a few 20-30 minute body weight/dumbell work-outs. I would not say I’m “loving” my workouts (sigh), but they are good enough. . .

88 April July 20, 2011

I just started Turbo Fire and it’s really fun! I’m definitely sweating buckets by the end of it!

89 Katherine July 20, 2011

Riding horses is my workout :)

90 Dayanna July 20, 2011

Congrats on being nominated – you deserve it!! :)
As a young woman myself I look up to your great accomplishments and amazing blog posts!

I will def be looking into widdle my middle – something I have been working on since getting home from europe (good-bye euro wine/beer pooch). You should check out this at-home yoga site I have recently started using:

91 peteformation July 20, 2011

I like body pump but haven’t been to the gym lately….gotta drop by this week!

Great workouts!

92 Leah July 20, 2011

Really love this post Ange! I have to admit, I got HOOKED to your hill walking workouts before Steve and I got married and I remember when he came to Canada after not seeing me for two weeks he was like “whoa what have you been doing?” I love how the hill walking works pretty much everything (especially my core!!) and I think I was able to get into decent shape. I definitely second the “getting into shape for my wedding” comment you made! HIIT is amazing, I love it.

I remember when I was in Australia and I was doing a spin class on a Friday night with an amazing instructor (obvi he must have been amazing for a Friday night spin!). He said to us “did you know that only a small percentage of people do this on a Friday? Do you know what that means? You are not normal!” Cracks me up each time I think of him. Love me some spin!

93 Yolie @ Practising Wellness July 20, 2011

So many congratulations for your nomination, you are a TRUE inpsiration, and totally deserve it, Angela! <3
This summer I have been loving interval training on the Arc Trainer at my new gym, upper body and lower body weights routines in the gym, using machines and free weights (a new addition for me), biking and hiking outside with my boyfriend, and lots of wonderful at-home yoga practices…my favourites are my Moksha Yoga CDs (60 and 90 minutes – without the heat!), Yoga for Athletes DVD, Bethenny Frankel's 'Body By Bethenny' Yoga DVD, and Jillian Michael's YogaMeltdown. I'm really trying to mix everything up and keep lots of variety! Take care and have a beautiful day! <3 xyx

94 Alyssa July 20, 2011

Wow, you are a workout machine! To be completely honest I haven’t been working out as much this summer (once the heat get going I get slow;) anyways but I have been loving yoga. Really I have just gotten into it in the last few months. Doing it at home is great but now that i am doing a class I love that too! I have been doing your “whittle your middle” a few times a week but I don’t count that as a full workout :) and hopefully get a run or two in (when the hubby and kids will let me:).

95 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 20, 2011

Congrats on your award nomination! You are not just Hot under 30, you sizzle baby! You deserve the nomination and the win!! Off to vote for you next!

“Lately, I’ve been doing at-home yoga once a week or if I’m sore after a workout.”

YAY for at home yoga!

My typical workout is this: a 3 mile run, give or take. And then I come inside and do about 20 minutes of at-home yoga moves that incorporate core work, lots of chaturungas for upper body challenges, and although I used to use an exercise ball and 12 lb weights for some other at-home moves, lately, it’s just the running + yoga. It works for me. It takes less than 45 minutes per day to do. It’s on my time table and convenience level and it’s streamlined. Oh, and it’s free :)

96 Michelle July 20, 2011

I had the same problem with the spin bikes, but I found that the gel bike seat cover helps a LOT more than the padded shorts…& you can buy them for about $20 vs the $50 I spent on my pearl izumi shorts. Oh well. It’s REALLY painless when you use both :)

97 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 20, 2011

I love how spin makes me feel too! You’ve got such a great variety going on.

98 Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine July 20, 2011

I’ve heard of HIIT quite a bit (hey, that rhymes!), but I’ve never heard about it via hill walking. That sounds awesome! I like running but am not in love with long distance running like some people. I bet if some people knew that they could get an equally good workout from hill walking as from running, they’d dread the thought of exercise less.

Like you, I enjoy exercise in a multitude of forms. That being said, after a long, hot day, walking (even hills) sounds ten times more appealing than running :)

99 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 20, 2011

You totally deserve that award! You are amazing!

100 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 20, 2011

loveloveLOVE incline walking ;) Its like a hidden workout! Seems so easy, but if you do it with the right incline you get great results!

101 Kim July 20, 2011

What a great post! Not only do I LOVE all of your recipes, but I really enjoy the great infomation you share as well. Speaking of info…I have a question. I own a preschool and I will be doing a unit on Healthy Foods next month. This will be my first time teaching this until after becoming a vegan and my perception of “healthy” has changed quite a bit in the last year. Do you have any suggestions for websites where I can obtain infomation that is parent friendly regarding their children’s eating habits and foods they consume? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

102 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes July 20, 2011

Congrats on the nomination! you deserve it! I have been loving at home yoga too, its great to stay inside in this humidy!

103 Ellie@fitforthesoul July 20, 2011

Whoaaaa that last quote is super deep!!! I love it <33

104 Jess@atasteofconfidence July 20, 2011

I am really into biking, a little bit of running, and DVDs.

105 Abby White July 20, 2011

Congrats on being nominated! You have definitely got my vote. My favorite workout this summer has been a run from my home to Mount Tabor Park in Portland, OR. I have to run up a long and steady hill to get to Mount Tabor and then there is a series of stairs that I run up to the top. It is killer! Once you make it to the top you are rewarded with a beautiful view of downtown Portland on one side and a view of Mount Hood on the other. It makes it all worthwhile!

Have a great day!

106 Jennifer Baldwin July 20, 2011

I just voted for you !! Good luck :)
I took up tennis a couple years ago and LOVE it ! But I agree, it’s easy to get in a rut ! Thanks for your motivating ideas.

107 Kilee July 20, 2011

I love, love, love working out. I ran long-distance through highschool and for fun during college. I stopped running frequently until about a month ago. I’m really happy that I got back into it because it feels so good! I also love doing the toneitup.com workouts. Karena and Katrina are my favorite motivators. Have you done any of their workouts? I love that I can do them at home without needed to drive to the gym. Good luck with the nomination!

108 Ali July 20, 2011

hi there! Im a new reader, and LOVE your blog! I’ve already baked the apple muffin tops (ah-maze-ing!!)

thanks for sharing these. its winter here in australia – and i’ve fallen in love with spin classes after taking an injury induced break from running! i can’t believe how sweaty I get in about 40minutes!

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

Thanks Ali!

110 suzanne July 20, 2011

You got my vote :-)

Love how you mix it up – I need to do more of that but in the summer I really love to do long runs and then do not have time/energy for anything else (exercise wise) except recreational stuff (family hike/swim). Something I need to work on for sure. Thanks for the perspective and inspiration!

111 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 20, 2011

Wow congrats on the nomination Ange! I’m voting for you! :D

I’ve started spinning this year and I have the same complaints about the butt pain! I’m thinking of investing in my own seat pad to make things a bit more comfortable. I’ve seen a lot of people in the classes bring their own!

112 Tanya @ Vegan Faith July 20, 2011

Congratulations! So I have been taking some friends out for early morning workouts on a college track for some sprints and stadiums (bleacher runs) and other fun circuits. I am having so much fun with it this summer!

113 Ashley July 20, 2011

Spinning, Body Pump and at home yoga are 3 of my favorites too! Need to try HIIT!

114 Shannon July 20, 2011

I try to do a bit more HIIT lately, especially after reading the research relating to it! I love having a gym where I can do a variety of classes: spin 2-3X, yoga, body pump are included in my weekly schedule. I haven’t tried hot yoga but would like to someday.

115 Lillian July 20, 2011

Congrats on the nomination – it’s well deserved, and you absolutely have my vote! :)

As for workouts, I’ve recently come to love strength training. It makes me feel strong, confident, and far happier than I’d been when I was nearly bored to tears on the elliptical. Really, though, I’m all in favor of whatever gets people moving and into their fitness happy place!

116 Kristen July 20, 2011

So weird, I was JUST reading about the 30 Day Shred before I checked out this post! I am thinking about doing it as I really need to gain strength, but I was concerned about losing weight. I am at the low end of my weight range and just want to get a bit stronger. What’s been your experience?

117 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2011

My experience has been muscle building and inches lost. :)

118 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life July 20, 2011

I just started training for my first half marathon and I’ve also begun weight lifting! Love all your workouts. I did hot yoga obsessively a few months back too! It’s so pricey here though–I couldn’t afford to keep it up!

119 Electra @ vanillabeanlean.com July 20, 2011

Ever check out BodyRock.Tv? Has a lot of fun tabata workouts that maybe you can add to your HIIT regimen! I don’t use them all the time but when I’m in the need of some quick workouts or some variety – I LOVE their stuff. LOVE IT.

CONGRATULATIONS on being nominated! It’s amazing what we can do when we pour ourselves into something. You definitely deserve it.

120 C July 20, 2011

I love doing bodyrock (bodyrock.tv), best workout discovery. High intensity, quick workouts that kick my butt. I totally see and feel the difference. I also enjoy biking in the morning before starting work.

121 Brooke July 20, 2011

Ange,

If you want to try an amazzzzzing spin class go to Micheline at Quad Spin. She has three locations; King St West, Queen East and also one in Oakville.

She changes lives. I swear. Best spin class by far.

122 Christine July 20, 2011

I would say my favorite workout is anything on bodyrock.tv The site is amazing, gives 20 minute workouts you can do at home (important with three young children), and it’s free. I do 3 workouts a week and it’s amazing!!!

123 Kathy July 21, 2011

I try to do weight lifting, yoga, some meditation (I love meditation, it really clears the mind–except I do mine at night! I’ve been waking up at around 8-10am nowadays because of summer), jogging (occasionally, I really should get back on this), & some Nike Training Club (an app on the iPhone/iPod Touch). I barely exercise though, so I must be sleeping earlier to wake up earlier to exercise since I like cool weather!

124 Amy-momof3girls www.landoffluff.bligspot.com July 21, 2011

I love body pump!! I just tried spinning class yesterday -loved it , except for the seat poking my groin area. I did not know about the padded biking shorts -I am soo going to have to look for a pair!!

125 Anne V July 21, 2011

I am OBSESSED with TurboFire from BeachBody! Talk about a workout high, it has truly changed my mind about cardio/strength training. It incorporates a lot of HIIT workouts too and those are by far my favorite. Another one I really like are their 10 minute routines. I work 12 hour days so I have a really hard time getting to the gym so at home workouts are a must for me. If you have any questions about Beachbody or their products PLEASE contact me (Annev7@gmail.com or Anne VanderHoek on Facebook) or go to my site (www.beachbodycoach.com/Annev7), I became a coach for them because I absolutely love what they offer and believe that exercise and nutrition are essential for everyone!

Congrats on the nom Angie! I always look forward to reading your posts each morning (you are my homepage!) ;)

126 Michaela July 21, 2011

I really like that post!
And I LOVE spinning, I absolutely adore it!!! At first, I had that pain too, but I got used to it and don´t even need to wear padded pants.
What I love most about summer workouts are runs outside :) Also beach volleyball is fab!
I so must make some blizzards!

127 Jessica July 21, 2011

personally I’m loving turbo kick, hustle and zumba. I so want to try body pump… and I would love spinning if I could get past the quite literal pain in the rear. I hear it goes away after awhile but I’m not sure I can wait that long.

128 sharon July 21, 2011

I’ve been lurking for awhile ;-) well i am currently loving the tracy anderson method. i get bored easily but so far she’s kept my interest. am curious about yoga. i’ve never done it and would love to one day

129 Dreena Burton July 21, 2011

Hearty congrats! Just voted for you, hope you win, you’re a hot 20 in any category. :) Good luck, you deserve it!~

130 Jackie Smith July 21, 2011

I’m loving Zumba. My gym only offers it during the morning; as a teacher I don’t get to go except during the summer. I’m loving it!

131 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 21, 2011

Congratulations on the nomination!!!!!!! You deserve it!!!

132 Jessica July 21, 2011

I am insanely happy for you! Your blog has made me feel normal more than once. It takes a special person to be able to make a difference in a complete stranger’s life.

133 Lisa July 21, 2011

I just voted for you!! I love Chatelaine too!

134 Christine July 22, 2011

Congrats in the nomination, you deserve it! I love the quote at the end of this post, I never realized how much I stop myself from doing things because I tell myself I’m not one thing or another! You are definitely an inspiration and making a difference. You’re posts always help me to switch my brain over to positive thinking. I appreciate all the time you take to keep this blog going, thank you!!!

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2011

Thanks Christine!

136 Heidi (Balance Project) July 22, 2011

I also started Body Pump this summer and love it! : )

137 molly grove July 23, 2011

I like so many of those things. I want to say dont be afraid of weights. it is soo hard for women to bulk up and you especially wont if you are doing a class like that. its all about getting toned.
I am trying to make a deal with myself to do 500 abs and 100push ups every day in august. :)
thanks for being inspiring!

138 ShopDropNRoll July 27, 2011

Congratulations Angela!!! You deserve this honour so very much. You are such a beautiful and inspirational woman and I am so proud to know you – virtually of course! Best of luck and keep the wonderfulness coming :)

Ashley from Shop, Drop n’ Roll

139 Kristy July 29, 2011

I just found your blog via Mama Pea and I’m hooked! I LOVE this post! I’m a runner, but I’ve found during this heat wave running daily is becoming very difficult. I like to devote my early morning workouts to weight training and when it wasn’t a billion degrees outside, I’d take an evening run. This heat wave has put a HUGE damper on my evening runs. It’s so hot I usually come panting and sweating back home after a little over a mile :( I HATE running on the treadmill (when I’m running outdoors, I switch up my pace to keep my heart rate in check so I get frustrated with the treadmill).

ANYWAY, I guess what I’m getting to is that I’m excited to try your HIIT hill walking treadmill suggestion! I think this will be so much better because I can switch between jogging on a flat and then switching it up to a high intensity hill walk. Thanks for giving me a reason to look forward to the gym this evening! :)

140 Lauren July 31, 2011

Hi Angela,
You truly are an inspiration! I took up body pump because of you (no kidding!). My hope is that I can continue to push myself to make healthy choices as you do. I love that you constantly go out of your comfort zone as well. Thank you for your blog – I will definitely vote for you!

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2011

Thats great Lauren! Goodluck with everything!