7 Workouts I’m Loving This Summer

This past Spring, I challenged myself to include more variety in my workouts. After a long Winter, I found myself in a workout rut and I knew I needed to mix things up.

In May, I fell in love with Hot Yoga and it renewed my enthusiasm for trying new forms of exercise. Since then, I’ve been mixing things up almost everyday and my body is the happiest its been in a while! I thought I would share the workouts that I’m excited about this summer and maybe you can share what you’re loving too!

1) Spinning

Spinning   7 Workouts I’m Loving This Summer

[source]

If running gives me the ultimate workout high, spinning is a very close second. In university, I signed up for a couple 3 month spinning classes and I fell in love with spinning almost instantly.

One of my June Goals was to incorporate spinning back into my life and I’m so happy that I got back on the bike! I’ve been going about once a week and I look forward to the spinning high every time.

My only complaint about spinning is that I tend to get groin/crotch pain from the seat. However, this time around, I’ve been wearing my padded Pearl Izumi bike shorts (that I wore during our triathlon training) and they help a lot.

2) Short Distance Speed Running

20100906IMG 2410 thumb   7 Workouts I’m Loving This Summer

Instead of focusing on long distance training runs and races like I did the past two summers, I decided I would focus on shorter speed runs this summer. I’m running a couple 5k races in the near future to celebrate my training!

Not only does speed training challenge my lungs, muscles, and mental stamina, but it also gives my joints a break from long-mileage runs. So far this summer, I haven’t had any aches or pains, which is a first for me when training. I must be on the right track…

3) High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) via hill walking

ss 101272367   7 Workouts I’m Loving This Summer

[source]

Some days it’s just too hot to workout outdoors, so I like to hit the treadmill and sweat it out inside. When I first started blogging, I was in love with treadmill hill walking and it also got my body in shape for my wedding (along with resistance exercises). When I crank up the incline between 10-15%, it’s one of the most intense workouts that I do. When a walk is harder than a run, you know you are pushing yourself!

High Intensity Interval Training is exercise that involves intense bursts of exercise (e.g., sprinting) followed by moderate intensity exercise (e.g., jogging) repeated in an interval format. It’s great because you can squeeze a powerful workout into a short amount of time and it’s also said to increase your resting metabolic rate for 24 hours post-exercise. I like to do hill walking intervals alternating with slow jogs (with decreased incline) for about 30 minutes. For more info, see this post.

4) Body Pump & 30 Day Shred

img036   7 Workouts I’m Loving This Summer

[source]

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not in love with weight lifting, but I love how it makes me feel (confident! strong!) and of course how it tones my muscles. I first started doing Body Pump back in university and I’ve gone through spurts with it over the years. I like going once a week and I also enjoy the Booty Camp Fitness and 30-Day Shred workout DVDs for a quick home strength workout.

5) At-home Yoga

IMG 56121   7 Workouts I’m Loving This Summer

In May, I went to over 22 hot yoga classes in 1 month and I was completely hooked. I debated buying a class pass for a while, but as soon as the hot weather hit I found that I didn’t crave the hot yoga classes like I did during our chilly Spring. For me, Hot Yoga is more desirable during cooler months. Lately, I’ve been doing at-home yoga once a week or if I’m sore after a workout.

6) Whittle My MIddle

In June, one of my goals was to rock out 2 Whittle My Middle sessions per week and I achieved this goal for the most part (except 1 week that I bailed on it). My core feels and looks stronger than it has in a while. Now that I’ve built up my ‘base’, I’ve been doing weekly core exercises to maintain the work I did in June. I do about 5 minutes of core work per week (of these core exercises). It’s just enough to keep my core strong without having to devote too much time to it.

7) Hiking

20101024IMG 8585   7 Workouts I’m Loving This Summer

Don’t mind those two weirdos…you never know who you are going to bump into on a hike!

And don’t forget to rest…

My workouts would not be possible without 1-2 rest days per week. Rest days should be part of the weekly plan, just like any other workout!

And blizzards, lots and lots of blizzards.

What workouts are you enjoying this Summer?

21   7 Workouts I’m Loving This Summer

I received some exciting news that I’ve been nominated in Chatelaine’s Women of the Year Contest, in the Hot 20 under 30 category! I’m honoured to be nominated among so many amazing Canadian women.

I remember reading about this contest in Chatelaine each year and thinking to myself how much I would love to make a difference. And you know what? I told myself that I would never be able to. I guess it goes to show that our negative thoughts are not always right and we can prove them wrong.

Please check out the nominees and VOTE for your favs!

“It’s not who you are that holds you back, it’s who you think you’re not.” ~D.W.

Amanda July 20, 2011

You got my vote! Thanks again for being so inspiring. Congrats on the nomination!

Peggy @ freshnutrition July 20, 2011

HIIT, Yoga and Spinning are my faves!! Love the way they feel and make my heart pump. Good for you for keeping up the variety, so much more fun that way!

Molly @ RDexposed July 20, 2011

Running is my first love, but I love how fiesty spinning instructors get!! Gives you that boost of energy to crank up your resistence!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

Me too…they really push you, eh?

Joy (A Little Bit Fit) July 20, 2011

I have always wanted to try Hot Yoga, but I don’t think we have it in my area. I love Body Pump! My new favorite workout is Zumba. I started in March and can’t get enough!

Joy (A Little Bit Fit) July 20, 2011

BTW – congrats on the nomination! You deserve it!

Dori July 20, 2011

I love this post! It is so important to try new workouts and get involved in different activities — for your body and for your sanity. Love everything you included here.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 20, 2011

I am really loving my weight routines where I incorporate intervals. It my heart rate stays up and (literally) keeps me on my toes the whole time.

The Teenage Taste July 20, 2011

LOVE all of these workouts. Lately I’ve encorporated spinning and incline walking into my routine and I am loving it. My legs are actually uber sore today…from incline walking! I didn’t know it was possible! :-P

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

Mine too…did a hill walking/run combo yesterday and man my legs feel like bricks today!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas July 20, 2011

I am so upset that I have yet to find a gym in my area that offers body pump. I just want to to give a a try… once. I fear if I travel to try it out.. I will fall in love with it an then be heart broken when I simply can’t travel the distance to attend it regularly!

Brittany @ Runwithbritt July 20, 2011

I’m focusing on running this summer because I’m training for a marathon in November…Eek! When I have time I love to cycle and do yoga on Friday or Sunday mornings. It’s so relaxing and it’s a nice break from all the pounding on my joints.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

Good luck with your training!

Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde July 20, 2011

Congrats on Chatelaine, thats amazing Angela!!! I was just reading that magazine in the lunch room, lol! Love all the workouts you mentionned and spin gives me a sore bum for days, i really need to try padded shorts :)
Love that hike photo, you two are adorable!

Jenna July 20, 2011

i voted for ya! you deserve it! congrats for being nominated and these are all really great work outs!

Natalie S. July 20, 2011

These are all great! I haven’t ever tried a spin class, but I love running — can’t run though, because it’s too hard on my knees. And I bike everywhere I go, so it seems that spin would be a natural alternative for me!

I’m really loving BodyPump this summer. I started going twice a week, and I’m really feeling toned and stronger!

Hayley @ Oat Couture July 20, 2011

I love lifting! I don’t do as much of it now but we do sometimes incorporate it into our routines at muay thai and it makes me feel great! Love hiking as well but I can’t seem to get the other half excited about it so I very rarely get to go! That last pictures a corker btw! Love it! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 20, 2011

CONGRATS on Chatelaine Ange!!! :) I’m totally voting for you as soon as I submit this comment! I am not one to do much hill walking as I usually feel like running gives me the biggest bang for my buck, but it is something I’d like to incorporate into my workout regime. In addition to my usual running and teaching spin, I’m also planning to get out on my rollerblades this month, and at some point, hop in a pool and do some laps!! :)

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy July 20, 2011

Love the post, it is important to keep variety in your workout! This summer I am loving a class similar to body pump called power! I love that it works every muscle in my body. I have also started using a rowing machine along with my weekly running schedule! Congrats on Chatelaine! Very exciting, I voted for you, you deserve it!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 20, 2011

Congrats on the nomination, that is awesome!
I love the variety of your workouts. I was really digging the combo of running + strength training I was doing until I threw my back out on Sunday. Now I’m focusing on recovery but I had never felt stronger right before it happened.

Hannah July 20, 2011

These all look like awesome. I can’t do many of these due to my own injuries, but I have fallen in love with yoga this summer. It makes me feel at peace with my body, which is what I need.

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove July 20, 2011

I’m a big fan of Yoga and Pilates but I still haven’t gotten into running (although I am trying…). Back in HS, I was a big fan of weight lifting but that ended when I no longer had access to a gym. Oh well.

PS – Congrats on the nomination! Good luck!!

Melissa @ Be Not Simply Good July 20, 2011

I’m running and doing push-ups/crunches. Pretty low-key. Also going for walks and swimming with my kiddos. I like to think that my yard work counts as exercise too. :) I tend to get more into workouts in the winter, when I’m less active in the course of my normal routine.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

You can def. get in exercise in sooo many forms in the summer! I also count gardening and yard work as exercise :)

tasha July 20, 2011

I love all the workouts you listed, except the hot yoga — haven’t had a chance to try that one. I have recently fallen in love with pilates style classes (I never really did them before, but I am convinced that is what’s helping to draw my post-babies belly back where it belongs, hehe!) and swimming. I’m only in the pool a couple days a week, but I really dig lap swimming, especially at 5am – it’s so peaceful and the pool is virtually empty. :)

marla {family fresh cooking} July 20, 2011

Girl, we would have way too much fun together doing all these workouts. Great post & I love the photo of you guys!

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 20, 2011

I couldn’t agree more on all of these. I am SO into spinning right now! It’s one of my favorite workouts!

BTW the picture of you and your hunny in the woods cracked me up!

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 20, 2011

Congrats on being nominated!

I’ve been running shorter distances and doing more strength training — I lost a lot of strength when I was marathon training and I want to get that back and keep it!

Sarah July 20, 2011

Voted :) That would be such an honour to even be nominated! Way to go Angela!!!! I did my first Moksha hot yoga class yesterday, and I LOVED it!!! I’m going back today and I’m bringing my fiance with me :)

Kath July 20, 2011

Lol – that Body Pumper needs a bit more weight for the chest track, dont’ you think!

Congrats on the nomination!

Natalie @ Will Jog For Food July 20, 2011

Great post! Right now I’ve been doing alot of indoor running…need to get back on the spinning train for sure :)

I wish my gym had body pump! wahhhhh

Carolyn July 20, 2011

First of all, congratulations on the nomination! That’s so cool!

I used to do a lot of kickboxing and strength training. It was a cool concept, but I *majorly* overdid it, and tired out my body. Then I discovered yoga (all kinds, but mainly Vinyasa and Ashtanga). Now, yoga is all I do (well, that and walking everywhere–I live in a city, and I dislike the public transportation)! I have found that it has increased my strength, stamina, and overall tone much better, and much more quickly, than other exercises, including kickboxing. Plus, I actually enjoy it. I don’t approach it with a “do it or else” mentality, and it’s far from boring.

Lindsey @ Why Just Eat July 20, 2011

I am a huge Body Pump addict. That is the ultimate exercise high for me – muscles shaking, sweat pouring, it doesn’t get much better than that!

Judy July 20, 2011

I just voted. Congrats on the nomination.

Balancing Sylvia July 20, 2011

I’m glad you’ve found so many great workouts to enjoy. My favorite workouts outside of running are swimming and rock climbing. I can’t wait to get home so I can join a rock gym again. Congratulations on your nomination!!! You absolutely deserve it lady :D

Katie July 20, 2011

I’ve been craving variety as well! I adjusted my workouts to allow two Zumba classes and one yoga, in addition to two or three Body Pump classes. It’s much more motivating to me not to do the same thing over and over.

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama July 20, 2011

I’m all about mixing up my workouts, too. Hiking, or anything that gets me outside, is my favorite way to mix it up.

Rhona July 20, 2011

I just voted for you. Good luck! Thank you for posting on this subject. I have been really bored with my routine lately and just love the HITT series. I just joined a gym also to get me out of my slump so I will be using the HITT and hill walking to add some variety on the treadmill. The gym also offers Body Pump classes which I was kind of afraid to take (I am picturing all these hard bodies and then me struggling in the corner) but I think I will give it a shot. It looks fun.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

what I love about the classes is that it’s a mix of all kinds of fitness abilities. I don’t find it intimidating (and im a chicken for the most part!)

Mushrooms Canada July 20, 2011

Great post Angela! I am just starting to get into Interval Training, it’s definitely a change from the long distance running that I am used to!
Congrats on the Chatelaine nomination! You work really hard, and deserve it! Good Luck!
- Brittany

cathy July 20, 2011

congratulations on the chatelaine nomination, angela! i’m so happy for you!
strength training is not my first love, either. variety is the key to staying motivated – thanks for all your examples!
stay cool today!

katie July 20, 2011

wow thats such an honor, congrats! Got my vote :)
And I love the quote, it really pertains to myself right now with one of my passions that I hope to keep moving forward with. I’m my only obstacle!
Something I’ve been loving lately to mix up my workouts are stair repeats! Never thought I’d say ‘loving’ and ‘stair repeats’ together in a sentence but I’ve been enjoying the challenge.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2011

Oh stairs are great! I used to climb 28 floors everyday when I lived in a condo. :) Amazing cardio.

kaila @ healthyhelper! July 20, 2011

I am loving a lot of these same workouts! Especially hill walking! It gives you such a great workout and I love that I’m able to do it while reading….multitasking at its finest!

Cait's Plate July 20, 2011

I’m totally with you on the at-home yoga. It’s been a life saver this summer! I wish I had more trails to hike around me – I’m always jealous of bloggers who have that option!

Cheryl July 20, 2011

Voted for you! Congrats :)

Julie (A Case of the Runs) July 20, 2011

I’m more into barre right now… congrats on the nomination!

Page 1 of 41234»