Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

IMG 8752 2   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Saturday night, Eric and I were on our nightly walk and we passed by our neighbours sitting outside enjoying a pitcher of Sangria. They invited us over for a drink and we couldn’t think of a reason not to join in on the fun! Drinks led to more drinks, hours flew by, conversation flowed, and we found ourselves home long past midnight with a wonderful evening behind us.

Anxiety tends to make me over-analyze everything…what if this happens, what if I say this, what if…but I realized when I do things spontaneously, I don’t have time for all that crap to go through my mind. I barely had any anxiety which is unusual for me when getting to know new people. There was something magical about doing something on the spur of the moment. It happened so quickly my anxiety didn’t have a chance to say boo!

It was a powerful learning experience and I was quite proud of myself for living in the moment. Overtime, these small decisions can lead to a big change.

Weekend Revelation #1: Stop over-analyzing so much and JUST DO IT!

Weekend Revelation #2: Raw Buckwheat Porridge.

IMG 8756   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

You knew food had to be involved, right? :)

On Saturday morning, I was cruising You Tube vegan recipe tutorials, like any cool gal would do when procrastinating a workout. My Degree from the You Tube School of Culinary Arts should be arriving anytime now.

IMG 8729   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

I came across a video for Raw Buckwheat Porridge and I instantly knew it was an idea I could have fun with!

According to Renegade Health, Raw Buckwheat Porridge is simply soaked buckwheat groats processed with agave, cinnamon, and vanilla to make a raw porridge. There isn’t any cooking involved and it’s incredibly easy and nutritious!

IMG 8732 2   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

I thought it would be fun to amp up this mixture and turn it into something that was similar to my beloved Vegan Overnight Oats. I added chia seeds to boost the nutrition + volume as well as almond milk for even more volume. In the original recipe, the serving sizes were very calorie dense and tiny so I knew I would have to increase the volume to satisfy myself physically and visually. I’d rather eat 1 cup than a 1/3 cup, any day.

After that, I loaded on the fruit with a sprinkle of chopped nuts to finish it off.

The result was one of the best breakfasts I’ve had in a long time. It’s also gluten-free, vegan, and packed with nutrients like calcium, protein, fibre, magnesium, and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.

IMG 8745   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

IMG 3760   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Here’s how I made it:

Soak raw buckwheat groats in water for at least 1 hour or overnight.

Strain and rinse the groats well with water. The groats will have a slimy texture, but that is perfectly normal!

IMG 8717   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Set aside 1 cup of groats (to stir in later). This will give your creamy porridge a nice chewy texture.

IMG 8732   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

In a food processor or blender, add your soaked buckwheat groats (except for the reserved cup), almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, chia seeds, sweetener, and a pinch of salt. Process until almost smooth or leave it chunky, whatever you like.

IMG 8722   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Stir in the reserved 1 cup of groats for a nice texture..

IMG 8735   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Stir in optional chopped banana or simply adjust sweetness to taste.

IMG 8736   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

You can stop here (it tastes amazing already!) or keep going like I did.

Add your desired toppings: Fruit, nuts, seeds, granola, nut butter, coconut, dried fruit, etc. The sky is the limit.

IMG 8733   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

IMG 8741   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Refrigerate leftovers and enjoy for quick and portable breakfasts for the next few days!

IMG 8780   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

I was really surprised by how much I loved this porridge. I’ve had some bad experiences with buckwheat, but its normally strong flavour wasn’t very pronounced in this and I found it just delicious.

It’s also really filling and no cooking is involved making it a perfect breakfast for hot summer mornings. I’m excited to play around with this first attempt using different amounts of buckwheat, chia seed, and almond milk ratios.

IMG 8763   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

I’ve already made a second batch in all the excitement…

IMG 8782   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Peanut Butter and Cocoa powder were involved and things got a bit crazy.

To be continued. :)

IMG 8787   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Given Weekend Revelation #1, I’m going to stop thinking about my workout and just do it!

Molly @ RDexposed July 11, 2011

Please invite me to breakfast.

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) July 11, 2011

this is beautiful.. PLEASE BE MY PERSONAL CHEF!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 11, 2011

I’ve never tried those buckwheat groats but this looks like a good excuse to now!

Sara July 11, 2011

I really need to try buckwheat groats, I keep forgetting about them until you post something else!

You are so right about spontaneity lessening anxiety. You sort of need someone else to be like “Ok, let’s do it” and before you can say “Um, well…” it’s already happening! Great thoughts for a Monday.

Becca July 11, 2011

The color in your photos is just lovely. So fresh and Summery. Keep up the great photography work!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011

Thanks Becca :)

Brenda July 11, 2011

I’m so happy for you, your night sounds wonderful! I love the idea of not thinking and just doing but I have no idea how to do that? I am constantly worrying and going over scenarios in my head. How do I make it stop???

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011

I think there are all forms of anxieties as well as severity- for me, I know that I need a therapist to help teach me ways to deal with it. I’ll be blogging about strategies that I learn while in therapy, so you might want to tune in for that!
Also check out my 10 ways to live in the present post from Saturday: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/09/10-tips-to-live-in-the-present/

Veronica May 14, 2014

Thanks Angela for posting this recipe! It looks yummy and perfect as breakfast on my day off! :)

I know this comment was posted years ago but I just want to share with you the name of a book that helped me stop worrying. It helped me find out what kind of worry profile I have so I could start to actively retrain my brain and the way I think. It took some time to realise when and why I worry, but now I hardly ever worry anymore! A huge aha moment for me was the realisation that I actually chose to worry, because I thought it helped me at some level, that it made me prepared for anything, but it doesn’t help at all, it only drains you of energy. Now I know that it is the worrying itself that is the problem not the things I worry about.. The book is called ‘The worry cure’ by Robert Leahy.

Amanda July 11, 2011

Wow, this looks so delicious! Gonna have this for breakfast tomorrow :)

Ever since I found your website I’ve been trying recipes and I feel so much better. Less tired and more active. I’m slowly cleaning out the bad stuff in the pantry and fill it up with healthy alternatives. I’ve also started to work out again.

Angela, you’ve changed my life to the better! Thank you so much!

Greetings from the Netherlands (Europe)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011

Thank you Amanda! Congrats on your changes :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011

Im happy to hear that. :) Congrats!

Emily July 11, 2011

That looks great! I love the variety of fresh fruit on top, beautiful and delicious I’m sure!

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 11, 2011

Good call with using cocoa and peanut butter — that looks so delicious! And I love cold breakfasts in the summertime — it has been so hot here that I have practically been eating smoothies for every meal!

I’m glad you were able to live in the moment — I know what you mean by having those “what if I say this, what if this happens, what if I don’t know what to say” moments — and sometimes I really surprise myself when I really let myself relax and I am able to shove those thoughts out of my head!

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday July 11, 2011

Excellent! It’s almost like buckwheat muesli :)

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet July 11, 2011

This is an awesome alternative to hot oats, which I love but have to leave behind during the summer!

I would’ve never thought of eating raw buckwheat for a porridge before.

I think that the older I get, the less spontaneous I become, so I think I should make less of an effort to plan everything and push my laziness aside to try something new :)

katie July 11, 2011

this looks wonderful. I remember it confused me at first that buckwheat is gluten free, but even when I found out I never knew what to do with it. This seems so easy and if you’ve already made a second batch I’m trusting it came out delicious. Must pick up some groats asap!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 11, 2011

Yum I love overnight oats so I bet this is good! Are buckwheat groats gluten-free? As my boyfriend is a coeliac. Mind you I don’t think I’ve ever seen them for sale here in Ireland!

lauren@spicedplate July 11, 2011

I’ve just started to soak some buckwheat to make this! It looks delicious, my belly’s grumbling thinking about what a lovely dessert this will be after lunch today!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 11, 2011

I LOVE nights like that! Especially in the summer :-)

This looks so delicious and creamy!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 11, 2011

Hurray for spontaniety! I’ve been wanting to try buckwheat and this looks like a good intro recipe for me!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 11, 2011

The colors in these pictures are so bright! These looks delicious. I might have to use my last bit of buckwheat for this, looks to good to pass up :)

kate July 11, 2011

This looks delicious I love how rustic a porrige is and the berries look amazing!

Danielle N @ Beauty Lite July 11, 2011

YUM – they both look delicious but I’d have to pick the chocolate one :)

I agree with Becca, the photography in this post is so beautiful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011

Thanks! Fruit photographs well :)

Robin July 11, 2011

Hi Angela!

I have been reading your blog for over a year now, and I’m a very quiet reader!

I also have anxiety when I meet new people. They always think that I’m very arrogant when I stay quiet and don’t say hi..

But the funniest thing is that I had a very vivid dream about us two meeting! Ok don’t think I’m scary ok? It’s just that I feel like I know you really well, like you are my friend! You inspired me to run my first 10k, you made me enjoy overnight oats every day for a whole year, you made me start a blog!

You are just an inspiration to me! Not in a creepy way:)

I dreamt that we met each other because you were on vacation in my country (Holland) and you cooked for me and my family! I remember you didn’t understand how the dutch stove worked because you weren’t used to it, but the food was really good!

I kept trying to get my boyfriend to take a picture of us but somehow it never happened!

Then you and me sat on a roof and I spoke to you about my lack of motivation to keep running. haha! You reminded me of how great running is, and how much better I would feel after!

So weird right?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011

Hey Robin, Love your dream, thanks for the smile! I laughed when you said I didnt know how to work the dutch oven…that sounds just like me when using a new appliance! ;)

Krystina (Organically Me) July 11, 2011

Yum! I’ve always wanted to try a raw porridge.

lauren@spicedplate July 11, 2011

and i just realized i’m soaking my groats in almost the same container as you have pictured with the blue lid…I use it for soaking and for transporting my lunches!

The Teenage Taste July 11, 2011

That porridge looks delicious! Berries are so tasty this time of year! :-D

Cait @ Beyond Bananas July 11, 2011

I’ve never used buckwheat before.. thank yo so much for sharing how to prep and make it! Loving all of the fresh fruit,

Now,.. I really need a good food processor!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 11, 2011

Oh my goodness… I am SO making this in the next couple of days! I have plenty of buckwheat groats to use and this looks like the perfect application! Like you, I would rather eat 1 cup than 1/3 any day. Photos are particularly gorgeous this morning Ange – I just might have to make one of them my desktop wallpaper!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove July 11, 2011

That looks delicious and I love all the fruit in it!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 11, 2011

The toppings alone make me want to eat this! I need to check out groats – they looks so creamy and delicious.

Zarah July 11, 2011

Looks delish! Like you, I have kind of “bad experiences” from buckwheat buuut since you say this is milder, I’ll definitely try! Thanks for sharing! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011

I think its milder due to not cooking it!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy July 11, 2011

This looks and sounds delicious! Would be a great alternative to oatmeal! The fruit topping looks amazing!

Maxine July 11, 2011

Thanks for posting this! I have a whole bag of oatgroats and not sure what to do with them.

Nadia July 11, 2011

This recipe looks great; I need to search for buckwheat groats now…

I noticed you used a food processor. Do you still use it even though you have a VitaMix? I thought the VitaMix could handle everything that a food processor does. I’m debating buying a VitaMix, but wanted your opinion on whether I’ll need a processor other things too.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011

I prefer to use my processor for stuff like that…I find the VM a bit annoying to clean and scoop everything out when its thick. I know many ppl who swear by using the Vm for everything though!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats July 11, 2011

I am the same way! Here’s to learning to be more spontaneous!

Thanks for this wonderful recipe! I can’t wait to give it a try. Your photos looks outstanding. Seriously, you can see how much time and care you put into each shot!

JenATX July 11, 2011

agreed! such great pics today… who knew a bowl of porridge could turn into an amazing photo opp?

barefoot and frolicking July 11, 2011

yummm, I love buckwheat porridge in the morning – glad you have experienced it too! Great recipe Angela – thanks for sharing!

Cait's Plate July 11, 2011

The cherry on top is the best part by far. That’s exactly what topped my breakfast today :)

Seriously though this looks amazing. I never in a million years would have thought to use buckwheat!

Kathi July 11, 2011

I will definately be trying this. I just made a blueberry buchwheat cake for breakfast and I loved it. It was my first time eating buckwheat i loved the little cruch it adds. I was also surprised how satisfied I was after eating it. Thanks for another wonderful idea!

VEGirl July 11, 2011

Wow, what a great summer breakfast! Must make tomorrow… and I love buckwheat, so this sounds puuuuuurfect.

Ellen July 11, 2011

This looks awesome! I will definately try this soon since I’ve been wondering what to do with all the buckwheat I bought at the store last week! thanks for sharing… :)

Jen July 11, 2011

That. Looks. Incredible. Yay for buckwheat being gluten-free! The version with cocoa and peanut butter is making my mouth water. Seriously.

Andrea July 11, 2011

This looks awesome! I’ve been trying to think of new ways to use buckwheat groats.. can’t wait to try it! :)

cathy July 11, 2011

that is so great that you had that unexpected social time saturday eve. i am so glad you said YES to the opportunity! i’ve been really trying to say YES instead of NO when presented with invitations/new experiences – glad you and eric grabbed the occasion to socialize!
nike was on to something with their “just do it” slogan – it’s a winner!

Page 1 of 512345»