Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 11, 2011

Saturday night, Eric and I were on our nightly walk and we passed by our neighbours sitting outside enjoying a pitcher of Sangria. They invited us over for a drink and we couldn’t think of a reason not to join in on the fun! Drinks led to more drinks, hours flew by, conversation flowed, and we found ourselves home long past midnight with a wonderful evening behind us.

Anxiety tends to make me over-analyze everything…what if this happens, what if I say this, what if…but I realized when I do things spontaneously, I don’t have time for all that crap to go through my mind. I barely had any anxiety which is unusual for me when getting to know new people. There was something magical about doing something on the spur of the moment. It happened so quickly my anxiety didn’t have a chance to say boo!

It was a powerful learning experience and I was quite proud of myself for living in the moment. Overtime, these small decisions can lead to a big change.

Weekend Revelation #1: Stop over-analyzing so much and JUST DO IT!

Weekend Revelation #2: Raw Buckwheat Porridge.

You knew food had to be involved, right? :)

On Saturday morning, I was cruising You Tube vegan recipe tutorials, like any cool gal would do when procrastinating a workout. My Degree from the You Tube School of Culinary Arts should be arriving anytime now.

I came across a video for Raw Buckwheat Porridge and I instantly knew it was an idea I could have fun with!

According to Renegade Health, Raw Buckwheat Porridge is simply soaked buckwheat groats processed with agave, cinnamon, and vanilla to make a raw porridge. There isn’t any cooking involved and it’s incredibly easy and nutritious!

I thought it would be fun to amp up this mixture and turn it into something that was similar to my beloved Vegan Overnight Oats. I added chia seeds to boost the nutrition + volume as well as almond milk for even more volume. In the original recipe, the serving sizes were very calorie dense and tiny so I knew I would have to increase the volume to satisfy myself physically and visually. I’d rather eat 1 cup than a 1/3 cup, any day.

After that, I loaded on the fruit with a sprinkle of chopped nuts to finish it off.

The result was one of the best breakfasts I’ve had in a long time. It’s also gluten-free, vegan, and packed with nutrients like calcium, protein, fibre, magnesium, and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.

Here’s how I made it:

Soak raw buckwheat groats in water for at least 1 hour or overnight.

Strain and rinse the groats well with water. The groats will have a slimy texture, but that is perfectly normal!

Set aside 1 cup of groats (to stir in later). This will give your creamy porridge a nice chewy texture.

In a food processor or blender, add your soaked buckwheat groats (except for the reserved cup), almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, chia seeds, sweetener, and a pinch of salt. Process until almost smooth or leave it chunky, whatever you like.

Stir in the reserved 1 cup of groats for a nice texture..

Stir in optional chopped banana or simply adjust sweetness to taste.

You can stop here (it tastes amazing already!) or keep going like I did.

Add your desired toppings: Fruit, nuts, seeds, granola, nut butter, coconut, dried fruit, etc. The sky is the limit.

Refrigerate leftovers and enjoy for quick and portable breakfasts for the next few days!

I was really surprised by how much I loved this porridge. I’ve had some bad experiences with buckwheat, but its normally strong flavour wasn’t very pronounced in this and I found it just delicious.

It’s also really filling and no cooking is involved making it a perfect breakfast for hot summer mornings. I’m excited to play around with this first attempt using different amounts of buckwheat, chia seed, and almond milk ratios.

I’ve already made a second batch in all the excitement…

Peanut Butter and Cocoa powder were involved and things got a bit crazy.

To be continued. :)

Given Weekend Revelation #1, I’m going to stop thinking about my workout and just do it!

Molly @ RDexposed July 11, 2011 at 7:35 am

Please invite me to breakfast.

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) July 11, 2011 at 7:37 am

this is beautiful.. PLEASE BE MY PERSONAL CHEF!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 11, 2011 at 7:37 am

I’ve never tried those buckwheat groats but this looks like a good excuse to now!

Sara July 11, 2011 at 7:39 am

I really need to try buckwheat groats, I keep forgetting about them until you post something else!

You are so right about spontaneity lessening anxiety. You sort of need someone else to be like “Ok, let’s do it” and before you can say “Um, well…” it’s already happening! Great thoughts for a Monday.

Becca July 11, 2011 at 7:39 am

The color in your photos is just lovely. So fresh and Summery. Keep up the great photography work!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011 at 9:38 am

Thanks Becca :)

Brenda July 11, 2011 at 7:40 am

I’m so happy for you, your night sounds wonderful! I love the idea of not thinking and just doing but I have no idea how to do that? I am constantly worrying and going over scenarios in my head. How do I make it stop???

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011 at 9:38 am

I think there are all forms of anxieties as well as severity- for me, I know that I need a therapist to help teach me ways to deal with it. I’ll be blogging about strategies that I learn while in therapy, so you might want to tune in for that!
Also check out my 10 ways to live in the present post from Saturday: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/09/10-tips-to-live-in-the-present/

Veronica May 14, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Thanks Angela for posting this recipe! It looks yummy and perfect as breakfast on my day off! :)

I know this comment was posted years ago but I just want to share with you the name of a book that helped me stop worrying. It helped me find out what kind of worry profile I have so I could start to actively retrain my brain and the way I think. It took some time to realise when and why I worry, but now I hardly ever worry anymore! A huge aha moment for me was the realisation that I actually chose to worry, because I thought it helped me at some level, that it made me prepared for anything, but it doesn’t help at all, it only drains you of energy. Now I know that it is the worrying itself that is the problem not the things I worry about.. The book is called ‘The worry cure’ by Robert Leahy.

Amanda July 11, 2011 at 7:41 am

Wow, this looks so delicious! Gonna have this for breakfast tomorrow :)

Ever since I found your website I’ve been trying recipes and I feel so much better. Less tired and more active. I’m slowly cleaning out the bad stuff in the pantry and fill it up with healthy alternatives. I’ve also started to work out again.

Angela, you’ve changed my life to the better! Thank you so much!

Greetings from the Netherlands (Europe)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011 at 8:06 am

Thank you Amanda! Congrats on your changes :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011 at 9:36 am

Im happy to hear that. :) Congrats!

Emily July 11, 2011 at 7:43 am

That looks great! I love the variety of fresh fruit on top, beautiful and delicious I’m sure!

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 11, 2011 at 7:49 am

Good call with using cocoa and peanut butter — that looks so delicious! And I love cold breakfasts in the summertime — it has been so hot here that I have practically been eating smoothies for every meal!

I’m glad you were able to live in the moment — I know what you mean by having those “what if I say this, what if this happens, what if I don’t know what to say” moments — and sometimes I really surprise myself when I really let myself relax and I am able to shove those thoughts out of my head!

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday July 11, 2011 at 7:49 am

Excellent! It’s almost like buckwheat muesli :)

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet July 11, 2011 at 7:51 am

This is an awesome alternative to hot oats, which I love but have to leave behind during the summer!

I would’ve never thought of eating raw buckwheat for a porridge before.

I think that the older I get, the less spontaneous I become, so I think I should make less of an effort to plan everything and push my laziness aside to try something new :)

katie July 11, 2011 at 7:52 am

this looks wonderful. I remember it confused me at first that buckwheat is gluten free, but even when I found out I never knew what to do with it. This seems so easy and if you’ve already made a second batch I’m trusting it came out delicious. Must pick up some groats asap!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 11, 2011 at 7:52 am

Yum I love overnight oats so I bet this is good! Are buckwheat groats gluten-free? As my boyfriend is a coeliac. Mind you I don’t think I’ve ever seen them for sale here in Ireland!

[email protected] July 11, 2011 at 7:52 am

I’ve just started to soak some buckwheat to make this! It looks delicious, my belly’s grumbling thinking about what a lovely dessert this will be after lunch today!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 11, 2011 at 7:53 am

I LOVE nights like that! Especially in the summer :-)

This looks so delicious and creamy!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 11, 2011 at 7:56 am

Hurray for spontaniety! I’ve been wanting to try buckwheat and this looks like a good intro recipe for me!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 11, 2011 at 7:56 am

The colors in these pictures are so bright! These looks delicious. I might have to use my last bit of buckwheat for this, looks to good to pass up :)

kate July 11, 2011 at 7:57 am

This looks delicious I love how rustic a porrige is and the berries look amazing!

Danielle N @ Beauty Lite July 11, 2011 at 7:57 am

YUM – they both look delicious but I’d have to pick the chocolate one :)

I agree with Becca, the photography in this post is so beautiful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011 at 9:34 am

Thanks! Fruit photographs well :)

Robin July 11, 2011 at 8:00 am

Hi Angela!

I have been reading your blog for over a year now, and I’m a very quiet reader!

I also have anxiety when I meet new people. They always think that I’m very arrogant when I stay quiet and don’t say hi..

But the funniest thing is that I had a very vivid dream about us two meeting! Ok don’t think I’m scary ok? It’s just that I feel like I know you really well, like you are my friend! You inspired me to run my first 10k, you made me enjoy overnight oats every day for a whole year, you made me start a blog!

You are just an inspiration to me! Not in a creepy way:)

I dreamt that we met each other because you were on vacation in my country (Holland) and you cooked for me and my family! I remember you didn’t understand how the dutch stove worked because you weren’t used to it, but the food was really good!

I kept trying to get my boyfriend to take a picture of us but somehow it never happened!

Then you and me sat on a roof and I spoke to you about my lack of motivation to keep running. haha! You reminded me of how great running is, and how much better I would feel after!

So weird right?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011 at 9:33 am

Hey Robin, Love your dream, thanks for the smile! I laughed when you said I didnt know how to work the dutch oven…that sounds just like me when using a new appliance! ;)

Krystina (Organically Me) July 11, 2011 at 8:00 am

Yum! I’ve always wanted to try a raw porridge.

[email protected] July 11, 2011 at 8:05 am

and i just realized i’m soaking my groats in almost the same container as you have pictured with the blue lid…I use it for soaking and for transporting my lunches!

The Teenage Taste July 11, 2011 at 8:05 am

That porridge looks delicious! Berries are so tasty this time of year! :-D

Cait @ Beyond Bananas July 11, 2011 at 8:09 am

I’ve never used buckwheat before.. thank yo so much for sharing how to prep and make it! Loving all of the fresh fruit,

Now,.. I really need a good food processor!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 11, 2011 at 8:23 am

Oh my goodness… I am SO making this in the next couple of days! I have plenty of buckwheat groats to use and this looks like the perfect application! Like you, I would rather eat 1 cup than 1/3 any day. Photos are particularly gorgeous this morning Ange – I just might have to make one of them my desktop wallpaper!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove July 11, 2011 at 8:24 am

That looks delicious and I love all the fruit in it!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 11, 2011 at 8:27 am

The toppings alone make me want to eat this! I need to check out groats – they looks so creamy and delicious.

Zarah July 11, 2011 at 8:33 am

Looks delish! Like you, I have kind of “bad experiences” from buckwheat buuut since you say this is milder, I’ll definitely try! Thanks for sharing! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011 at 9:31 am

I think its milder due to not cooking it!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy July 11, 2011 at 8:37 am

This looks and sounds delicious! Would be a great alternative to oatmeal! The fruit topping looks amazing!

Maxine July 11, 2011 at 8:38 am

Thanks for posting this! I have a whole bag of oatgroats and not sure what to do with them.

Nadia July 11, 2011 at 8:38 am

This recipe looks great; I need to search for buckwheat groats now…

I noticed you used a food processor. Do you still use it even though you have a VitaMix? I thought the VitaMix could handle everything that a food processor does. I’m debating buying a VitaMix, but wanted your opinion on whether I’ll need a processor other things too.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011 at 9:31 am

I prefer to use my processor for stuff like that…I find the VM a bit annoying to clean and scoop everything out when its thick. I know many ppl who swear by using the Vm for everything though!

Heather November 11, 2015 at 8:59 am

I just made these. I used my food processor and I didn’t like the texture. It seemed gloppy and gritty. (I think I couldn’t get the image of the slime that was on the soaked groats out of my head!). I am going to run the rest through the vitamix to see if I can get a smooth texture and then mix that with nuts and fruit.

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats July 11, 2011 at 8:49 am

I am the same way! Here’s to learning to be more spontaneous!

Thanks for this wonderful recipe! I can’t wait to give it a try. Your photos looks outstanding. Seriously, you can see how much time and care you put into each shot!

JenATX July 11, 2011 at 10:21 am

agreed! such great pics today… who knew a bowl of porridge could turn into an amazing photo opp?

barefoot and frolicking July 11, 2011 at 8:50 am

yummm, I love buckwheat porridge in the morning – glad you have experienced it too! Great recipe Angela – thanks for sharing!

Cait's Plate July 11, 2011 at 8:51 am

The cherry on top is the best part by far. That’s exactly what topped my breakfast today :)

Seriously though this looks amazing. I never in a million years would have thought to use buckwheat!

Kathi July 11, 2011 at 8:57 am

I will definately be trying this. I just made a blueberry buchwheat cake for breakfast and I loved it. It was my first time eating buckwheat i loved the little cruch it adds. I was also surprised how satisfied I was after eating it. Thanks for another wonderful idea!

VEGirl July 11, 2011 at 8:58 am

Wow, what a great summer breakfast! Must make tomorrow… and I love buckwheat, so this sounds puuuuuurfect.

Ellen July 11, 2011 at 9:03 am

This looks awesome! I will definately try this soon since I’ve been wondering what to do with all the buckwheat I bought at the store last week! thanks for sharing… :)

Jen July 11, 2011 at 9:10 am

That. Looks. Incredible. Yay for buckwheat being gluten-free! The version with cocoa and peanut butter is making my mouth water. Seriously.

Andrea July 11, 2011 at 9:16 am

This looks awesome! I’ve been trying to think of new ways to use buckwheat groats.. can’t wait to try it! :)

cathy July 11, 2011 at 9:22 am

that is so great that you had that unexpected social time saturday eve. i am so glad you said YES to the opportunity! i’ve been really trying to say YES instead of NO when presented with invitations/new experiences – glad you and eric grabbed the occasion to socialize!
nike was on to something with their “just do it” slogan – it’s a winner!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 11, 2011 at 9:25 am

omg this is BRILLIANT. I’m totally making this for my breakfast tomorrow. I’m a bit sensitive to oats, so I can only have 1-2 servings a week, if that. But I LOVE my overnight oats. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us!!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious July 11, 2011 at 9:29 am

Looks delicious! I love your pictures with the fruit all piled up on top!

brandi July 11, 2011 at 9:31 am

This looks like such a filling breakfast! And I finally got some buckwheat groats, too.

Sharon July 11, 2011 at 9:32 am

Mmmm, I love buckwheat groats. My mom coats hers with an egg and eats them that way every morning. I’m sure there’s more to the process than that but that’s all I’m aware of. I throw buckweat on salads for a nice crunch but haven’t really figured out a way to eat them other than that because I’m vegan so my mom’s breakfast is out. I can’t wait to try this out though!

Danielle July 11, 2011 at 9:40 am

That 3rd photo from the top… I think it’s probably my favorite photo you’ve taken yet! It’s stunning–perfect light!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011 at 9:53 am

Thanks, that was my fav of the shoot too. I love the soft shadows from the light :)

Britta July 11, 2011 at 9:46 am

This is going to be my breakfast tomorrow for sure. Every recipe that I have tried from your blog is fantastic!

Also, I was wondering if you had any recipes/ideas for fresh figs. I got a carton of figs from my co-op this weekend, and I have no idea what to do with them. I searched for some recipes but can only find ones that use dried figs. I don’t have a dehydrator, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011 at 9:52 am
Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness July 11, 2011 at 9:48 am

This looks absolutely delicious! Can’t wait to try!

Hayley @ Oat Couture July 11, 2011 at 9:56 am

This sounds amazingly good! And i’ve been trying to work more raw food into my diet recently so this is perfect! :) Thanks!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 11, 2011 at 9:59 am

I have a bag of buckwheat groats sitting in the pantry… I think this recipe is reason enough to finally try them!

Jill in Chicago July 11, 2011 at 10:01 am

UH-MAZING! Can’t wait to try it!

alyssa - fashion fitness foodie July 11, 2011 at 10:01 am

I always love your pictures… This looks amazing!

[email protected] July 11, 2011 at 10:18 am

oh how cool! I made something like this once, except that it was with Kasha so I believe the taste and textures would be way different? I haven’t tried the raw ones yet! This looks delicious though you’re makin’ me hungry. I’m so glad that over-analyzing is somehow being used for you to discover the beauty of spontaneity Angela! There’s always a bright side to everything. :D

LizAshlee July 11, 2011 at 10:18 am

What a great spin on overnight oats…I can’t wait to try!! As always, the photos are beautiful and make me want to try the recipe even more!!

Hope you had an AWESOME workout!! :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com July 11, 2011 at 10:18 am

This is infinitely healthier than what I ate for breakfast this morning (pop tarts).

Gillian July 11, 2011 at 10:19 am

LOVE this idea! i just started adding buckwheat to my overnight oats and i love the little bit of extra chew it adds.. and you’re right.. SO filling!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) July 11, 2011 at 10:33 am

So glad you had a great night! Sometimes (what am I saying – almost always) it’s better to just go with the flow instead of plan everything out. Having things spontaneously come up are the best. No time to think of all the reasons why I shouldn’t/ don’t want to/ can’t do something… Just DO it and enjoy the moment.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 11, 2011 at 10:51 am

Now that looks like a great summery breakfast! Packed with so much nutrition too.

Nikita July 11, 2011 at 10:57 am

Gorgeous photos! Great breakfast idea! I need to get my hands on some raw buckwheat… toasted is the only thing in stock at my usual grocery store.

kris (everyday oats) July 11, 2011 at 10:59 am

I’m on vacation, but a little part of me almost can’t wait til I get home so I can try this porridge out! It looks THAT good :)

Mama Pea July 11, 2011 at 11:04 am

What a lovely lesson! And now I want some breakfast sangria ;)

Georgina Collins July 11, 2011 at 11:10 am

Hi Becca,

I love your website! live in Ottawa. Might you know where I could get Buckwheat Groats? I am just starting to explore eating for my health. Do you buy these sort of products online? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011 at 12:09 pm

yup I linked to the online store in my ingredients list :) enjoy!

G July 11, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Hi Georgina!
Check out Herb and Spice shop on Bank Street: http://www.ottawaplus.ca/ottawa/venues/herb-spice-shop .
Wonderful with all kinds of natural living products/food/etc. :)

Michelle July 11, 2011 at 11:14 am

Living in the moment is such a beautiful mindset. I found myself reverting back to my over-analyzing ways this weekend. It’s so refreshing to take a break from that and just go with the flow.

And yum to the buckwheat porridge!

Namaste Gurl July 11, 2011 at 11:14 am

You are SO creative- i am most definitely trying this asap! I love buckwheat and use it often, so i’m sure I’d love this blended porridge! Mmmm, PB and chocolate- sounds delectable! :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 11, 2011 at 11:17 am

I am Slovak and we eat a lot of buckwheat porridge. I have never EVER thought to try it raw. Must get on that. BTW, that blizzard? changed my life. omg.

Jane July 11, 2011 at 11:28 am

I just read a very informative book called The Art of Raw Food and I remember it containing a recipe similar to this one. It looks so good and the health benefits of eating raw are amazing. It would be hard to go 100% raw (love my baked goods!) but it would be interesting to try for a bit and see how it really affects my body/mood,energy.

Also, I love what you said about small decisions leading to a big change. My life has been so all over the place for a while now and it has led me to anxiety, which has affected my weight. It’s crazy how everything affects each other. I’ve found a wonderful holistic nutritionist that is helping me tremendously now. I know I need to make changes for myself and often catch the phrase “just do it” going through my head. Although now my mantra is “don’t think, just eat” :)

One last thought, I read this quote this morning and thought it might be pretty relevant.
“If you don’t like something change it; if you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.” -Mary Engelbreit
Thanks for the great post!

Amber K July 11, 2011 at 11:32 am

Doing things spur of the moment is exactly what makes my anxiety run into high gear. Then again, just reading about spur of the moment social engagements set me off. I am just always so uncomfortable chatting with people, unless I know them really, really, really well. It’s definitely a process to deal with it all for me.

laura July 11, 2011 at 11:37 am

Oh I love the photos will all the fresh fruit n the background! So pretty.

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood July 11, 2011 at 11:37 am

This is an excellent idea. I recently stocked up on a lot of buckwheat groats to try my hand at making buckwheat bakes but I never had the time. This seems so simple and easy to make; best of all, most of the prepwork is done the night before! :)

Hannah (Balancing on Two Feet) July 11, 2011 at 11:38 am

This looks AMAZING!

Wendy Irene July 11, 2011 at 11:38 am

Whenever I hear myself playing the what-ifs in my head I use it as a signal to stop and come back to the present moment. Have a lovely day!

Rhona July 11, 2011 at 11:40 am

That looks absolutely amazing! I have some buckwheat sitting there so I will try this recipe (although it is not the groats).
With the anxiety, I know exactly what you are talking about.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 11, 2011 at 11:41 am

Angela the porridge looks great and I am loving the photos.

I love the slightly messy fruit pics, just kind of “dribbled” on the mats. It looks great.

And of course the composed shots are just beautiful! Just commenting from the airport here, wrapping up my weekend photography tour of Mexico City. It’s been a whirlwind and amazing. I am ready to be home though :) So intense!

Ruth July 11, 2011 at 11:43 am

I’m officially going to give this a try. I have struggled with buckwheat before, relly wanting to like it, but making ‘ordinary’ porridge with it in the same way as you make oatmeal, and then being disappointed with the strong flavour. This could change things!

Moni'sMeals July 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I am so proud and happy for you…in the moment and sangria too, well done! It takes courage to be spontaneous.

Now these pis and this recipe, what a tease. I am new to buckwheat, this is great to have. :)

Lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) July 11, 2011 at 12:33 pm

SO pretty! WF didn’t have any raw buckwheat groats in the bulk section last time I was there… Hopefully Earthfare wil have some in tomorrow so we can make this ASAP!

Laura-Ashley July 11, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Hey Angela! I’ve been a long time reader, but I typically don’t comment. However, I related with you 100% about the anxiety topic and doing things spontaneously. I have started to notice my personal anxiety battle (more or less I’m coming out of denial), and have always found that if I do things on a whim I am more likely to complete the task, as oppose to when I plan out every detail. Sometimes I even try not to talk about my daily goals with people, because I start to notice the pressure building and I end up not accomplishing anything! Nonetheless, you are an inspiration to me and it’s nice to know that there are others out there that go through similar obstacles. Looking forward to all your future posts!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I’m glad you can relate, thanks for your support!

Jamie July 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I am the same way with the over-analyzing. I am trying to just live in the present and stop worrying about things so much also!
The buckwheat porridge looks very intriguing. I have never tried buckwheat!

Nina @ Sweating It July 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Looks so delicious, and gorgeous photos, as usual!

The only time I’ve tried buckwheat was when I lived in Russia- they often have it as a side where we might put rice. They also eat it in the morning like oatmeal, except it’s not sweetened with anything… I wasn’t a fan of that preparation, but this looks like it would put Russian “grechnevaya kasha” to shame :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty July 11, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Mmmm I had this when I was doing the raw foods course! It was great!

brittany July 11, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Question on the ABU- do you always use “cold” almond butter as opposed to hot, freshly made almond butter? When I’ve tried to do it right after making the almond butter, it gets a horrible texture and is ruined. Just wanted to see what the actual protocol should be! :) the first time I made it I used old, cold almond butter and it worked great so I’m wondering if that’s my issue!

Katrina July 11, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I’ve been meaning to try buckwheat as a porridge for a while now and this recipe sold me. Yum!

Jennifer Baldwin July 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Hmmm never tried buckwheat … will have to now !

Jackie @ That Deep Breath July 11, 2011 at 1:20 pm

This is such a great idea! I’m going to have to try it

birdie to be July 11, 2011 at 1:24 pm

This looks DELISH! I just save this recipe to make asap! Great post by the way. I love that you chatted and hung out with some new friends. I am the same way, anxiety wise and I love your new found philosophy.

rawkinmom July 11, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I absolutely LOVE the photos in this post!! I really love how you placed all of the fruit around the table!!! AMAZING!!!

Lindsey @ Why Just Eat July 11, 2011 at 2:21 pm

The peanut butter and cocoa powder additions look to be right up my alley. I think toasted coconut, too. YUM!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes July 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I am actually speechless after looking at this. The picutres, fruit, EVERYTHING looks amazing. WOW :)

Ana Maria July 11, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Your photography in this post is stunning.

Ali July 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I find saying “yes” helps me live in the moment. not a “yes, because I’m a people pleaser,” but in a trying new things way. Like when I was invited to a stagette and I didn’t know anyone except the bride, my first instinct was to say thanks but no thanks. But I forced myself to say yes because I knew I’d be challenging my own personal anxieties and I had fun and was proud of myself (which actually sounds quite silly to people who don’t have these anxieties lol)

Anyway, good luck on your living-in-the-moment journey :)

kelli July 11, 2011 at 3:04 pm

your presentation is so fun!=)

Roz July 11, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Another great recipe Angela, thanks! And yay for the spontanious sangria night!!! Glad you had a good time.

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 11, 2011 at 3:30 pm

How exciting! Another wheat free breakfast idea that I can enjoy :)

VeggieGirl July 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm

The texture of the buckwheat looks so creamy and delish!

Emma @ Getting There & Going Places July 11, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Looking mighty good! As always of course! :)

Kathy July 11, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I’ve recently found out that my store DOES carry buckwheat groats and I got a *little* excited! I can’t wait to get back to the store again! :) plus to try this too…although I’ve never had porridge except for congee (rice porridge)

Kaila @ healthy helper July 11, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Ok I am officially crowning you as the best breakfast creator in the world! This looks amazing and I just happen to have a huge bag of rAw buckwheat groats at home! So excited to make this…..seriously it looks way to good to pass up!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm

must make this asap!!!

dee July 11, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Thanks for the recipe – i will try this and post back. I bought buckwheat groats a couple of weeks ago for a change (I’m pretty sure only after seeing them on your blog) but the two times i made them they were pretty nasty. I was trying to use them as a grain to go with vegetables for work lunches. At least this way they won’t be slimy like they were when i made them! Thanks.

Char July 11, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Mmmm looks delicious!! I love overnight oats, so I’ll have to give this a try :)

Christine (The Raw Project) July 11, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Just wow, this looks amazing! Must try it soon, thanks!

Katherine July 11, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Can you make me breakfast? Or become my personal chef?
K, thanks :D

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming July 11, 2011 at 6:38 pm

This looks so delicious and healthy! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat July 11, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I’m very excited about this! I love the overnight oats, and I love buckwheat. Combine the two, and…genius. Soaking now!

Alana July 11, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Your photography is amazing!! :)

[email protected] July 11, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I just tried making kasha recently for the first time, and totally ruined it. I don’t think I like it pre-toasted though! I’m going to give raw buckwheat a try. This looks delicious!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 11, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I really struggle with living in the moment too – I have this annoying need to plan everything! I’m glad you were able to let go and have a fun, spontaneous Saturday night. :)

Also this breakfast looks fantastic! I had no idea buckwheat groats could be soaked to get a softer texture. I’ll definitely be trying this!

Meg @ MegGoesNomNom July 11, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Omw, your third picture down is STUNNING!

Pure2raw Twins July 11, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Beautiful photos. Love raw buckwheat. Your breakfast porridge looks perfect! It has been a long time since I have made a buckwheat porridge, now I am craving one! :)

acme July 11, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I have way too much steel cut oats so I’m thinking of using that instead of the buckwheat…thanks for the idea!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2011 at 7:28 am

Do steel cut oats get soft when soaked?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 12, 2011 at 12:47 am

Your pictures in this post are extra wonderful Angela!

The buckwheat porridge sounds like a satisfying and delicious breakfast.

Emma July 12, 2011 at 2:41 am

I get the same feelings when faced with any social situation – if something is planned weeks or any time ahead I work myself up over it so much by the time it comes around it’s the absolute last thing I feel like doing and I usually bail. But if I come home and my partner says ‘hey we’re going out to such and such’ I’m all for it. Something I need to get over if I want any friends!!!

I love love love sangria. I make a pretty potent one – I evenb bought a jug specifically for it last summer but never used it! And that buckwheat porridge sounds pretty good. I may try it this week :)

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine July 12, 2011 at 3:40 am

Speaking of spontaneity, I think I need to go spontaneously make this porridge.
Seriously, if those pictures are even somewhat realistic, I need to drop everything and go hunt down some buckwheat groats NOW ;)

Michelle July 12, 2011 at 4:53 am

I’ve only recently begun experimenting with buckwheat, inspired by Ashley’s bakes at the edibleperpespective. Also, Matthew Kenney/Sarma Melngailis’s Raw Food Real World has a recipe for buckwheat crispies: essentially the above concept, though dehydrated. I’ve been using them as my chocolate/sweets fix – soveryyummy. However, despite basically (very carefully) licking the processor, I never thought of *not* dehydrating the mixture. Porridge. *Brilliant!*

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker July 12, 2011 at 7:58 am

I love all the colors in this dish — great photos!

Jennifer July 12, 2011 at 8:34 am

I just made and devoured this recipe. I was worried I would not like cold porridge, but I was not bothered at all by it. As matter of fact, I think I would prefer it to cooked buckwheats. Really yummy. I’ve tried so many recipes on this site and only one I didn’t love. Very good job. I really want you to come out with a cookbook. I love that you don’t use “fake meat” products, just real stuff.
Great job on photography too!!!

katie July 12, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Angela , LOVE this, and not to be a PAIN, but what would measurements be for just a serving! I would like to make it just for me!

: )

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 12, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Oh my gosh. I just got some chia seeds. :) This sounds AMAZING!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 12, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Uhhh you rock. That’s really all I have to say about that.

Jill in Chicago July 13, 2011 at 10:31 am

This morning I added 1/4 cup of leftover porridge to my smoothie (cooked kale, frozen banana, frozen strawberries and almond milk.) It added such a great taste, not to mention a wonderful texture!

Meg | One Love Meg July 13, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I just started a 30 day raw vegan challenge. I am going to have to add this to my morning routine. It sounds delicious. I also bought that blender your recommended. Thanks! :)

Sara July 13, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I cannot wait to try this! Got my buckwheat groats today!! :)

Jennifer Baldwin July 14, 2011 at 7:24 am

This is SO good !!!!!
I put toasted almonds and berries on top of mine.
By the way…don’t put this in the microwave…it forms a big hard blob LOL.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 14, 2011 at 8:09 am

good to know, thanks!!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 14, 2011 at 7:31 am

I tried this this morning and it was AWESOME! Then I started thinking: I wonder if I could soak a BUNCH of gluten-free grains together and then eat it like muesli… totally doing it tomorrow.

Marian July 14, 2011 at 8:12 am

YUM! I soaked some raw cashews along with my buckwheat (soaked cashews might be my favorite ingredient ever….) and it was FANTASTIC! Just enjoyed some for breakfast this morning. Thank you for the amazing recipe! I will be making this all the time as an alternative to VOO :) Beautiful pictures, too!

Stacy July 14, 2011 at 11:22 am

Wow! Can I say wow again? I was already a huge fan of buckwheat (groats, flour, kasha, any form!) but this flew me over the moon. I made this for my mom and I this morning (halved the recipe) and we were both blown away. Thank you for an amazing breakfast.

[email protected] July 14, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Wow! That looks oh-so-delicious. I only have kasha, though. Do you think it would work?

Sara July 15, 2011 at 7:52 am

Enjoying my first bowl right now and it is delicious!! I added some Chocolate PB2 and heated it up and it is so good!! A bit thick so I added more milk after I warmed it up. Thanks!! :)

Véronique July 15, 2011 at 11:59 am

You are such a genius with food!!! I will try this it looks soo good!!
THank you so much for your blog, I just love it!!!

Pamela July 16, 2011 at 7:47 am

I cant wait to try!!! I love your site…so inspirational!! xo

Jemma July 16, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Hi Angela,

I tried your porridge this morning and it’s delicious! I’ve had buckwheat groats sitting in my cupboard for a long time and wasn’t sure what to do with them, so thanks for the inspiration!

I made mine similar to yours but layered it with passionfruit and raspberries, and topped it with some roasted almonds and drizzle of honey. I used soy milk and it was just as yummy too.

Here’s a pic :) https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.158422167504585.39441.151158911564244&saved#!/photo.php?fbid=255767007770100&set=a.158422167504585.39441.151158911564244&type=1&theater

Thanks again!

Jem x

Kathi July 21, 2011 at 8:56 am

I made this porridge the other day and it was very grainy. Did I do something wrong?

Laureen @Fox-in-the-Kitchen July 24, 2011 at 6:04 am

Wow, what a great breakfast (or lunch or snack or anytime?) idea. I love buckwheat but never considered eating it raw. Great pictures too. It’s my first time visiting your site but it’s certainly not going to be my last time.

eva @5fruitsNveggies July 24, 2011 at 12:24 pm

i’ve had this recipe in my meal que ever since you posted this–well finally i was able to make it after being away on vacation for 2 weeks….all i can say, is where has buckwheat porridge been all my life??…amazing…so delicious….i made mine very simple this time around for a couple of reasons, but when i am able to get the fridge stocked up again with fresh fruit, my girls will be eating this with me again

Marianne August 2, 2011 at 2:33 am

This is sort of similar to some raw breakfast cereals I’ve seen in stores, but they generally aren’t blended – you just soak and eat. The buckwheat stays somewhat crunchy/chewy while the chia expands into the gelatinous mass. They usually include hemp seeds in the combo as well. I like the idea of soaking overnight and blending to make a smoother, porridge like breakfast. If only I had a working blender to do so…

eirual August 7, 2011 at 9:37 am

I tried this, but my groats were brown (I’m assuming with the hulls on?). The result was very gritty. It was good enough that I ate it, but the rest of the family didn’t make it past the first bite. Is there a difference between buckwheat types? Did you find yours “gritty” at all? …maybe that’s just a trait of buckwheat?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 7, 2011 at 2:20 pm

It sounds like you used toasted kasha? I dont like the flavour of the toasted buckwheat at all and find its very different.

kristin April 26, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Wow. This recipe is amazing and your pictures and website are beautiful! Very creative! Thanks for posting. Kristin

Heidi Sue May 11, 2012 at 6:10 pm

What would happen if I DID use Kasha instead of raw buckwheat? I rushed out to buy some after finding this recipe and the store did not have the raw variety and I really want to try it.

Ana May 17, 2012 at 9:20 am

I am a gluten free vegan and I really liked it. It was very filling which I appreciated. Thanks for the post:)

Teresa May 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I made this today, and it was very good. I decided to sprout the buckwheat first – just to squeeze out any extra goodness out of it! I’ll definitely be making this again!

Helen War May 24, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Wow, these photos are like a feast for my eyeballs. I love colour, I love food. What delight! So glad I stumbled on your site after rolling round the interwebs for a while looking for a recipe to use my last buckwheat up on. Cheers!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 25, 2012 at 7:32 am

Thanks Helen!

Sarah Marks June 9, 2012 at 7:09 am

I have some random buckwheat groats that I had no idea what to do with so this is brilliant! I do not have chia seeds but I do have some rolled oats knocking about, I may toast them and bung them in too, i am not vegan or guten intolerant or anything but I do get eczema and buckwheat is good for it as i believe it contains essential amino acids however I struggle to find decent recipes but this looks awesome and I love porridge! Thank you so much for the inspiration!

Heather July 26, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I’m trying this tomorrow and can’t wait:)

PS- I find myself “recipe surfing” when I procrastinating working out as well:) However, knowing I get to refuel with yummy food afterwards inspires me to get up and do it anyway:) Thanks for the recipe!:)

Cass August 10, 2012 at 11:06 am

Just made one with homemade coconut butter, mango, homemade cherry chia jam and slivered almonds- absolutely delicious!

Devon August 20, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Ohhhh made the raw buckwheat porridge.
Taste great, chalky, starchy texture not so great.
I added fresh coconut, chopped dates, hazelnuts
& raisins oh and banana.
Here’s my favorite raw breakfast.
1/3 c mixed raw pecans & cashews.
10 majool dates soaked until soft, pits removed & chopped.
1-2 tbsp. coconut butter.
1/4 cup fresh grated coconut.
Process in food processor till nuts are fine in texture not paste..!
Use as a cereal.
It’s awesome with Fresh pineapple, peaches and raspberries.
Add your favorite nut milk.

mamta August 22, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Am a newbie into the raw foods arena and this brekkie absolutely blew me over . easy , healthy and tasty what else can i ask for? thanks for the lovely pics too.

kristle September 9, 2012 at 8:02 am

warning: if you go ahead and make this up, then put it in the microwave to warm it up (i just couldnt leave raw well enough alone), it hardens! oops. i just added more milk and gradually broke up the chunks, so now its sort of a chunky porridge. still good! great recipe idea to have ready for the work week :)

Livia September 22, 2012 at 1:29 am

I had been eyeing up this recipie for the last few days hoping I would like it. I knocked it all together this morning simply using the buckwheat, cinammon, sugar, soya milk, organic milled flaxseed and sesame seeds. I love it! On this occasion I decided to halve the quantities but now I wish I hadn’t and that I had a fridge full of the stuff!! Will be repeating this for sure, so Thank You ! X

Britney A. Kreiner October 2, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I made this for breakfast this morning (having never tried either buckwheat groats or even porridge, really), and it was absolutely lovely. Blew my mind. And so easy! I will definitely be adding this to my normal pancake-oatmeal rotation. I had to add a bit more almond milk in order to get it to smooth out, but everything else was spot on. I wasn’t sure how it would be cold, but it was delightful–I could almost eat it for dessert, I think! The best part is that there is enough left to last almost the entire week. Thanks for the recipe!

Constanze November 27, 2012 at 8:42 am

Amazing recipe – just tried it !!

Love your Site – it is soooo inspirational.

Grace December 10, 2012 at 10:06 am

I was so excited when I saw this recipe, since I’ve never tried overnight oats and this seemed like the ultimate healthy version of it. However, I found the consistency to be quite slimy – not at all what I expected. Perhaps it’s because of the 1/8 cup of honey I used (along with agave) as a sweetener? Either way, I’ll probably try using regular oats for more of an oatmeal texture.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

Hey Grace, Yes soaked buckwheat is slimy (I think I mentioned this in my post) and it’s definitely something that isn’t for everyone. Oats would be a good sub to help with the texture probably.

Abbey P. December 19, 2012 at 2:09 pm

So good! I made mine with raw hemp hearts, raw chia seeds, raw chocolate, dark cherries, and topped with lots of fruit. Loved waking up to this! Thanks!

Gwen January 5, 2013 at 7:01 am

Scrumptious, the way you put it altogether makes it look mouth-watering…and yay for spontaneity that inspired this next day breakfast home run.

Em January 7, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Came for the buckwheat recipe, enjoyed the spur of moment story. Thanks for sharing. Cheers~

Lisa January 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I would LOVE to try this,
you mentioned that the buckwheat groats are not the same as kasha…Well what I bought was Organic Buckwheat Groats but I read in the small print that it is also known as “kasha”… :( :S
Would I still be able to use this in the recipe???

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 10, 2013 at 8:54 am

the flavour will be really strong and earthy with kasha. I dont like it, but some might. I also don’t know how they soak. Sorry about that, let me know how it goes.

Shannon January 29, 2013 at 9:52 am

Angela, did you find that the results were gritty at all? I noticed that someone else commented that the results were gritty. I definitely used raw buckwheat, and soaked it for about two hours. I could blend it more, and will try that tonight, but it’s really too gritty to eat and not soft at all…

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013 at 10:51 am

Yes there was some texture from the buckwheat. I didn’t mind it though. Hope you can fix it to your liking!

Olga February 8, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Amazing recipe, I will be making it …now!:)

Shiksha April 10, 2013 at 12:38 am

I tried this at 10:30 pm because I couldn’t wait till morning to see how it turns out! You know what it is heaven….loved it….awesome blog and recipes…

Colleen Chao April 10, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I made this for breakfast this morning for my husband, son, sister, and a best friend visiting from out-of-state. It was soooo good, and 3 for 5 loved it! (Two are picky eaters!) I used light coconut milk (mmm!) and topped it off with toasted pecans, strawberries and apples. And I chilled it before serving, which was nice. It was so tasty and comfortably filling. Thank you for such a wonderful new breakfast recipe!!

Sarah (Inklings Read) April 13, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I actually took the porridge and made pancakes with it on the second day! Delicious with some real maple syrup and earth balance buttery spread :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Wow that’s creative – so you didn’t have any problems cooking it or did you mix in other flours? Sounds fun!

Sarah (Inklings Read) April 14, 2013 at 9:03 pm

My porridge turned out pretty thick so it was hard to get a nice circular shape, but other than that I didn’t have to do anything with it!

Casey April 14, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Wow, love this! There are almost no buckwheat breakfast recipes out there that sounded good to me. I have yet to try buckwheat (I’m a little nervous of the supposedly strong taste!), but I think I may try this as my first buckwheat recipe!

I’m wondering, how does the texture compare when only soaking the buckwheat vs. the normal buckwheat cooking process?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I think they texture is fairly similar although the buckwheat become more soft when soaked (personally I like them better raw/soaked and never cook them)

Sarah April 22, 2013 at 12:26 pm

What a delicious breakfast! Thanks for making it simple, and fun…..I love your pictures

Shelly Baril May 28, 2013 at 11:08 am

OMY Lord! Thank you for this recipe and the step by step instructions and pictures! For not only the fact that it looks amazingly delicious and healthy, but that my Hippie Peace Loving Mother-in-law had given me some buckwheat that I had no idea what to do with! These pictures really help me out and now I will not be so scared to experiment with them myself. I love how you watch youtube for recipes and then make your own beautiful creations. In my book 1/3 of a cup is just not a serving. Come on people! PLEASE, please, please keep the ideas coming! I am not vegan, but I have removed Gluten and Dairy from my diet for health reasons and the benefits are astronomical! I’ve also lost 35 pounds doing just that. I’m having fun, eating healthy and looking forward to many years of a healthier lifestyle. I love your website! So glad I found you <3 TTFN, Shelly

Adriane June 1, 2013 at 8:44 am

Just made these for breakfast this morning and I am in LOVE! Heaven in a bowl:)

Mimi June 8, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Not the same as kasha…but could I try this recipe with kasha? For some reason, I’m having trouble finding buckwheat groats, but I’d love to try this! Thanks!

Curtis Miller June 28, 2013 at 6:23 pm

I tried this today. Need to tweak ratios but I can see that when I play with it a bit, it will be fantastic! I used raspberries and bananas – and rice milk vs almond (don’t recommend). Next is fresh strawberries, cashews and mint.
And it’s good for me, right?

As to anxiety – I suffered from that greatly last year for many reasons. After spending a year letting go of expectations, I found the highest level of peace so far with a “clean” diet (basically all raw veggies and fruit, no processed food, no meat, not dairy and no gluten) after a one month detox, lots of aggressive physical activity (hot, sweaty, high heart rate), rest and resistance to toxic relationships. None would work without humble submission to God – the author of this epic story of which I am a part.
Good luck and thanks for the recipe!

Yakkin' Woman June 29, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Another time, put your raw, washed groats in a colander wrapped in a dishcloth and set it on a plate in your oven – it needs a dark place. By morning you should see little tails growing. Eating it as it grows is EXTRA nutritious! Don’t blend it – just add berries/fruit and, if you have it, a dollop of nut cream :)

Erin July 31, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Ive been trying to incorporate more vegan recipes in my diet and I adore your website. I just made the buckwheat breakfast porridge and it knocks my socks off! I was scared when i smelled and tasted the buckwheat groats by itself but with all the fruit, the buckwheat tastes more nutty and doesn’t have that awful bite. Thanks again!

Nickelle August 17, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Did you smash up the banana when mixed in to may it smooth or just stir in the chunks for more texture?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2013 at 9:06 am

I don’t quite recall for this exact recipe, but you can do either :)

Claire October 28, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I absolutely love this recipe! Been making it on and off for a couple years- a great go-to breakfast!

Kamila December 17, 2013 at 9:11 pm

You just saved buckwheat for me! I’ve had buckwheat several times and never liked the taste. I had just about given up when I googled “why does buckwheat taste so bad” and somehow your recipe popped up. And it actually tastes delicious!! The secret must be in the soaking — like how it helps to rinse quinoa before cooking it. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

So glad to hear that Kamila!

Hannah January 20, 2014 at 5:11 pm

So delicious – had it for breakfast this morning!! However I didn’t check the pantry before making it and realised I had no maple syrup! So instead i made apple-juice, it was still yummy and sweet! Thank you so much Angela. Loved it.

Cathy Reed February 4, 2014 at 11:59 am

When I was a child my mother would make me buckwheat pancakes that she made from buckwheat flour. The buckwheat flour was purchased from somewhere in Western Maryland, where they held a buckwheat festival every

Valerie March 25, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Just want to mention that I use Raw Coconut Nectar instead of Agave. Its a low glycemic sweetener.
Hope you give it a try. You can find it at your health food stores.

Love this for breakfast. Living in Kauai I love to everything coconut, I have tried this with coconut milk, but it was better with the almond milk.

I hope you try the coconut nectar

Alison May 26, 2014 at 2:45 pm

I tried this about a year ago, and it is one of my favorite breakfast foods. I don’t even need a sweetener; dates and bananas are enough.
Thank you so much for this recipe.

Danielle June 5, 2014 at 9:08 am

Hi Angela. I made the raw buckwheat groat porridge from your cookbook last night and I’m eating it this morning. I doubled the cookbook recipe and soaked the buckwheat groats for about 8 hours before processing. I am finding the porridge hard to get down. It seems to have a strong chalkiness to it. Is this just an acquired taste or did I do something wrong? The groats weren’t soaking in a lot of water (I only had a small container). I’m not sure if that would affect things. The only other time I’ve had buckwheat groats is soaked with raisins and almonds to top your chia breakfast bowl recipe. I enjoyed them then but I don’t have much to compare it to. Thanks for your help!

Lindsay January 5, 2016 at 8:23 am

I made the recipe from the cookbook this morning and was so excited to try it since oats and I don’t agree anymore. I couldn’t eat more than a bite. It was chalky and gritty and so unpleasant that I had to throw out my bowl, which I had already added nuts, coconut, raspberries and maple syrup.

Not sure what I did wrong. I followed directions carefully. Rinsed it well. Gumminess wasn’t an issue, the grit was. Are there different types of groats?

Lucy August 22, 2014 at 7:19 am

So I made a double batch of this and just decided that I would try to make pancakes with the second one. It worked! I had the second batch from yesterday in a jar in the fridge. Took it out, poured it into a bowl, added some almond milk to thin it a bit, and made pancakes with no problem. Topped with chopped pecans, banana slices and maple syrup. I am SO full and satisfied!
P.S. I LOVE your recipes. Been having so much fun with your website and new cookbook!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2014 at 9:42 am

Thank you Lucy! And also thanks for the great feedback :)

Tk September 12, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Hello and thank you for motivating me to get chiA!!!

Just want to say drinking brandy mixed with wine with fruit and sugar to chase with friends can be so moment living and profound but……ya know, the Sangria helps;)

Nice story and thanks for sharing and letting me be apart of the sharing.

Peace in the East, w,n,s

Caro September 25, 2014 at 3:44 am

I made this the first time this morning and I like the texture, however, something just didn’t taste good. Maybe it’s the vanilla. We don’t have vanilla extract here so I just used vanilla bean, I think it was too much. Will try again until it’s good.

Dino Toumazou October 22, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Today I had my first taste of unroasted buckwheat and simply absolutely love it I shall now give up eating brown rice and quinoa not only is buckwheat gluten free it also has a low Gi index which means it keeps you fuller for longer and you do not get a sugar high I only wish I had discovered this truly delicious seed grain years ago. This is how I cooked my buckwheat 1 cup of buckwheat 2 cups water gently bring to boil and then reduce heat very low until all water is absorbed take off heat and let cool just a little I had my buckwheat warm mixed in with a salad with sprouted green lentils I had sprouted 2 days ago what else can I say but yummy .I can not wait to experiment to make porridge from buckwheat Dino your steadfast vegan

Deborah October 30, 2014 at 9:45 am

I love your cookbook “Oh She Glows” and your blog. I am constantly making recipes from your cookbook. I just bought buckwheat groats for first time and I tried them right out of the bag. I liked the crunchiness of them, so I added a 1/4 cup to some granola with had nuts and dried fruit. I added some ground flax seed almond milk and a little maple syrup. It was really good and I loved the crunch and easy to prepare under a time “crunch”, haha:)

Carla February 2, 2015 at 2:01 am

hmmmm! Just tried this for breakfast! Did the plainer banana version. Would be even better with some fresh fruit like grapes, berries or even mango! Actually the fruit choice in your pictures looks absolutely perfect! Thanks so much! xxx

Heather February 27, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Thanks for the comment on anxiety at the beginning of this post. I am the exact same way. Everyone thinks that I am so outgoing, however, after I have gotten to know people this is the case. But I have a horrible case of social anxiety, as you, over thinking every aspect of the conversations that may or may not happen and what will I say, what if I have nothing to say? It’s horrible and I have not idea where this stems from since as a child I certainly never had this problem and even I have been the manager of a retail store and had to speak all teh time. But I think you have made a point on being spontaneous and I believe there is something to be learned in living in the moment and the release of that anxiety that would have scared us away from other moments such as the one your enjoyed!!! xo

Dawn March 13, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Please tell me what I did wrong!
I made this porridge this morning and it was very gritty. I rinsed it very well after soaking the groats overnight. It almost tasted like chalk.

Monica March 24, 2015 at 7:01 am

I just made a variation on this theme with sprouted buckwheat groats…an extra step that boosts the nutrition on the buckwheat…

turned out really good! thank you!

Danielle May 12, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Hi! I love this recipe. When I went shopping for buckwheat, I only found Kasha. So I bought it and was wondering if I can use kasha the same way you did in this recipe?

Wise Owl June 23, 2015 at 9:20 am

Hi there! I love buckwheat in any form and your recipe looks fantastic! I have to try it! I also have a quinoa-buckwheat flakes recipe on my channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SirnkRQZIkU

Zoe August 27, 2015 at 11:11 am

Hello! Can anyone tell me if this recipe would work when heated though? If I just blend everything together and then heat through on the hob? Thanks! Zoe

Rita September 7, 2015 at 1:44 pm

I was wondering why it’s not possible to use roasted buckwheat? I think Kasha it the only kind I have at home.

anne September 23, 2015 at 1:35 pm

I havent been able to find raw buckwheat. If I wanted to make the same recipe but with toasted buckwheat, what should I change or do in addition? Thank you very much in advance. SO excited to try this recipe!

Jennifer Haden October 15, 2015 at 7:22 am

Wonderful idea! But I’m wondering, is soaked and uncooked buckwheat easy to digest? I’ve never tried a soaked porridge before.

Jess Smith May 3, 2016 at 7:10 pm

I wasn’t overly impressed with the flavor. But, it is filling, and I usually smother it with strawberry slices and slivered almonds to fix the lack of flavor. Decent breakfast with solid nutritional value.

Tara June 22, 2016 at 8:15 am

A Wee Note/ Constructive Observation:

Hmmm…I wanted to love this recipe, as it seems pretty quick, easy and nutrient dense–a great way to start the day on a healthy yet convenient track. However, I have to say that I found this concoction quite pasty. I did soak the groats overnight, then rinsed thoroughly prior to blending. Nevertheless…uhm…we were not enthralled. I think I will try using the leftovers to experiment with the banana option. Perhaps this will make the texture less pastey? I would suggest that if pastey isn’t your preferred texture, you may prefer a cooked variation?

Angela Liddon June 22, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Thanks for the comment, Tara! I’d love to hear if you like it with banana better. :)

Mel July 28, 2016 at 5:47 pm

COLD buckwheat?!? Urgh!!! It’s worse than cold weet-bix.

Julie August 27, 2016 at 9:02 am

Any chance you used a Vitamix? I made this and and the flavor was lovely but I felt like I was eating sand. I used a Ninja blender and it didn’t seems to be enough.

Angela Liddon September 26, 2016 at 7:30 am

Hey Julie, I actually use a food processor! You are right though that the texture is fairly gritty. It’s not for everyone I know. ;) for an ultra smooth blend, a Vitamix would do the trick for sure!

Laura September 10, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Love this recipe, thank you. I have organic Bob’s red Mill creamy whole grain buckwheat cereal instead of grouts. How would I modify the recipe for this? Love your blog!

Chris Bennett January 29, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Im so confused.

So you can eat Buckwheat raw anyway, so what is the point of soaking it overnight? Just to make it softer.

THEN, if you soak it, why do some people cook it? And when they say cook, do they mean under the gas?

Kelly R March 2, 2018 at 9:52 am

Hello, Angela!

I just wanted to chime in and tell you how much I love this recipe and so many of your other recipes.

I’ve been vegetarian (lacto/ovo) for the last 10 years but have really wanted to transition to vegan for such a long time. Your recipes have certainly made it so much easier to do the transition – I really don’t miss dairy or eggs at all.

I’ve really come to love this recipe, in particular. I was hooked on your overnight oats recipe from your cookbook for quite some time, but then I tried this recipe from your cookbook and I haven’t looked back!

I’ve just made a couple slight modifications to it. I use pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon. And, for an added protein boost, I blend in 3 tablespoons of roasted almond butter. If you haven’t tried blending nut butter in with this, you should definitely give it a try. I split this recipe out into 3 servings thus the 3 tablespoons. And since almond butter has such a sweet, neutral flavor, it doesn’t overpower the overall goodness of the buckwheat porridge. I top it with mixed fresh berries, sliced banana, some of your “Perfect Granola”, a little flaked unsweetened coconut, and some pumpkin seeds. Delicious and filling!

Thank you for your continued delicious creations – and thanks for making the transition to vegan a tasty one. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2018 at 10:40 am

Hey Kelly, Aww I can’t thank you enough for leaving me such a super sweet message! What a lovely way to end the week. :) I’m so happy you love the recipes so much. And that’s such a fun idea to add nut butter. I do this with overnight oats so I’m not sure why I haven’t thought to do it here. Thanks I’ll definitely try this out soon. :)