From Dirt To Cake

Yesterday, the rain actually held off for most of the day which was nice. We got a lot of gardening done and hit up the nursery for some flowers.

IMG 7435   From Dirt To Cake

I bought some Impatiens, Geraniums, and Bellflowers to plant in the front garden. Before this, mom and I did a lot of weeding and prepped the bed with some topsoil leftover from my veggie garden.

IMG 7436   From Dirt To Cake

Things are shaping up around here! We almost seem like civilized home owners now. ;)

IMG 7431   From Dirt To Cake

Check out the spinach…it’s shooting up! I didn’t expect it to grow so vertically!

IMG 7452   From Dirt To Cake

Update: Many of you have said it has gone to seed and bolted. wlEmoticon sadsmile   From Dirt To Cake SAD! Do you think it’s done for the summer months?

The kale grows outward and it’s getting nice and full.

IMG 7445   From Dirt To Cake

Yummy lettuce…

IMG 7449   From Dirt To Cake

This romaine lettuce is the biggest one so far:

IMG 7446   From Dirt To Cake

Sadly, I lost two lettuce so far…they just wilted up and died. No idea why!

The 2 Spanish Onions and 1 Red Onion continue to do well.

IMG 7447   From Dirt To Cake

And the cucumbers in the back are spreading fast.

IMG 7448   From Dirt To Cake

IMG 7426   From Dirt To Cake

Eric has been working away at the deck as usual!

IMG 7423   From Dirt To Cake

The rails are now all in and he is working on the top piece of the railing.

IMG 7424   From Dirt To Cake

This morning, Eric said to me that he is losing motivation to finish the deck… words that no wife ever wants to hear! ;) I’m trying to help him when I can and bring him lots of beer. :) I think he is quite intimidated by the 3 staircases he has to figure out…I’m so impressed with what he’s done so far though. It will be nice to have it finished and then he can take a break with renos for a while.

IMG 7425   From Dirt To Cake

After gardening, I made a huge batch of the Back on Track Salad…one of our favs!

IMG 7354 2   From Dirt To Cake

I made a few modifications this time, using some black beans, fresh dill, more lemon juice, and red onion. It was awesome with the dill and extra kick of lemon!

IMG 7357 2   From Dirt To Cake

I just love how versatile this salad is…you could adapt it so many ways and it’s always a crowd pleaser.

IMG 7361 2   From Dirt To Cake

Eric picked up a Pumpkin Cranberry Loaf to go along with lunch. Sadly, it wasn’t vegan due to an egg wash!

IMG 7370 2   From Dirt To Cake

IMG 7372 2   From Dirt To Cake

I had a bowl of the Back on Track salad and an Ezekiel wrap with veggies, avocado, and hummus.

IMG 7373 2   From Dirt To Cake

Unfortunately, my Aunt Jenn and family couldn’t make our dinner get together because Julia got sick with a bad stomach flu and was up all night. Poor girl! :(

We had a pretty low key night and relaxed with some beer and wine.

IMG 7392 2   From Dirt To Cake

IMG 7395 2   From Dirt To Cake

Eric BBQ’d chicken for him and my mom and I had a veggie burger. We had the Back on Track salad and Sautéed Crimini mushrooms with garlic and olive oil on the side. I picked up some mushrooms from a local mushroom farm and they were great. I really need to make Sautéed Crimini mushrooms more often…they are one of my favourite side dishes. I also loaded some onto my burger.

A delicious and filling meal!

IMG 7396 2   From Dirt To Cake

For dessert we each had a Whole Wheat Vegan Chocolate Cupcake with Spiced Buttercream! My mom couldn’t believe they didn’t have any eggs because they are so light and fluffy. It’s magic!

By the way, they also froze very well. I froze them for 2 days and then let them sit on the counter to defrost for a couple hours. They were still fresh as can be. :)

IMG 7385 2   From Dirt To Cake

Today, we’re heading out to do a little chandelier shopping (window-shopping?) and then I think my mom and I are going to bake. Sundays just don’t get any better… Enjoy your day!

VeggieGirl June 12, 2011

BEAUTIFUL garden!

Have fun shopping and baking! :)

tea-bag June 12, 2011

sauteed mushrooms make EVERYTHING better! studies have shown that people can replace a portion of the meat in a dish with mushrooms & feel the same amount of satiation! gotta love that umami!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

Oh love that…I love them on a burger. Very great texture too!

Kendel @ Eating Abroad June 12, 2011

Your garden looks great! The kale is growing upward to ‘go to seed.’ You don’t want that. Just chop off the tall shoots then the plant’s energy can go towards making leaves rather than making blossoms and seeds. Good luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

ohhhh thank you! I was wonderful about that!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

wonderful = wondering ;)

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 12, 2011

Your garden is so lovely! The romaine looks adorable.

Eric has done such a wonderful job on your deck! I love how it looks so far.

kaila @ healthy helper! June 12, 2011

That sounds like such an amazing meal! I love the sauteed crimini mushrooms! They are so yummy!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 12, 2011

The deck looks so good, keep up the good work Eric! I hope for your sake it doesn’t turn into a completely finished deck with no stair case ;) My husband has been known to do things like that. Drives me crazy!
have a fun day with your mom.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

haha Eric has been known for that too at times…

Andrea June 12, 2011

Your garden is looking amazing! My mom just constructed a raised vegetable garden, and I’m looking forward to fresh veggies like yours :) Have a fun day baking with your mom!

Ruth June 12, 2011

I echo Kendel’s comment – I think about the spinach. The spinach is entering a new stage of life where it’s trying to reproduce (a.k.a. make seeds) — probably thanks to the hot weather! I keep chopping mine off as Kendel suggested because it’s also been really hot here. I suppose I’m delaying puberty for the spinach kiddos??

Diana June 12, 2011

The increased day length and warmth are making your spinach bolt. You really can’t prevent it except plant earlier. The quality of the taste goes down. I would harvest the leaves you can and then enjoy your kale for greens.

Julie - StressStories June 12, 2011

Those flowers really light up – so pretty. As for the deck, you should take some pictures and photoshop you and Eric into them, barbecuing and sunbathing on the deck – you know how men love bikinis, that might get him motivated :-)
Sounds like a perfect Sunday to me. I love how you and your mom are having such a great time together.

Heidi @ Food Doodles June 12, 2011

Looks like your spinach has gone to seed. You can’t really stop it I don’t think. Usually I plant some spinach and then plant some more a couple weeks later so when the first stuff goes to seed I still have some. Usually spinach likes colder weather so when it gets really hot it goes to seed right away. I usually stop growing it in the middle of summer and then plant again when it cools down in the fall. You can at least still eat the leaves that are on them. Are those green onions?? They look huge. Mine are still tiny. I think your deck looks beautiful! great job :) And that variation on the salad look so good :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

Thanks!

mary (what's cookin' with mary) June 12, 2011

You’re so right. You’ve got all the makings for a wonderful Sunday! It’s gloomy here again today, but we had a super fun dinner at our place (That I cooked!!! :D YAY! I’m BACK. – Note to self: don’t tear muscles, esp the kind you use for EVERYTHING. HAHA) and today we’re ‘reading the paper’ (read: reading all our online news/ blogs), then having a leasurely brunch on the patio… followed by dinner at a good friends. Don’t you love when someone else makes you tasty food ?? I do 8-)

PS Your veggie garden looks great Ange! Makes me want to get a few more pots and complete my herb garden now that I can actually use them again.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 12, 2011

that salad looks truly fantastic!! :)

Have a great Sunday!!

PS. You are going to have SO much kale. I planted 1/2 that and had kale for everyone in my town!!!!!!!!!! hehe :) It’s awesome. I also let some of it go to seed this year so that I can pass on the amazing seeds!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

haha it should be a kale party every week on my street!

Tichina June 12, 2011

Angela, your garden looks so great :). Those veggies look delish! Don’t you love it when you’ve got company in the kitchen? My mom is not a lover of baking/cooking, but every now and again she will give in and spend a Sunday getting creative and prepping meals with me. I dearly love that time we have together <3 P.s. Let Eric know he's doing a fantastic job so far by the looks of the pictures!

Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 12, 2011

I think you should try to motivate Eric with more beer and some that amazing cherry, banana, coconut butter bread of yours! It’s kind of epic :-)

Pam June 12, 2011

Thanks for the reminder about the Back on Track salad! This led me to the Back on Track II post with the whole gamut of salads to try. Just what I needed for summer salad inspiration!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 12, 2011

Darn those egg washes. I used to hate that when I was vegan! Don’t they know that olive oil has practically the same effect? Oh well, at least you had a yummy lunch!
I see a TON of kale chips in your not so distant future.

Julie @ Shining From Within June 12, 2011

You are going to be eating your veggies in no time! My romaine leaves are so cute and tall, too. Lots of yummy eats mmm..im coming over to eat all the leftovers ;)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 12, 2011

Your garden is lovely and I love your deck railings! Too bad about the egg wash on the bread. Your pictures are fabulous, as always!

Ellie@fitforthesoul June 12, 2011

It’s so cool seeing all the goodies growing finally~It gives this warm comforting feeling ;) Eric is sooo talented! He amazes me with his diligence. Has he basically learned this type of stuff by himself?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

Yup he teaches himself on the internet…

Cath June 12, 2011

Congratulations on how well your garden is growing. I am impressed! I’m also extremely impressed by Eric’s handiwork on the deck. You two are very resourceful.

The Teenage Taste June 12, 2011

Can I come to your next dinner party?! Pleeeassseeee? Everything looks so delicious! ;-)
Have a great day!

Hayley @ Oat Couture June 12, 2011

Ah Eric has been such a trooper with that deck though, right?! It’s HUGE and it looks fantastic!! I’m sure the stairs will be done soon! ;) And your garden looks great, I miss things like that due to apartment living! :/ I don’t think the rest of our block would be too happy if I started digging up the garden and replacing it with veggies… ;)

Julie @ Wearing Mascara June 12, 2011

I wish you could cook me dinner :-) Everything looks amazing as usual. Love your garden!

Amy June 12, 2011

Dear Eric,

Please don’t give up on the deck.

You see, I keep showing MY husband that it’s possible to DIY a deck, and I show him how awesome you are in Angela’s posts.

Please, please, please don’t give up!

Sincerely,
Amy

ps: you look kind of hawt in “building” mode. Don’t tell Angela I said that. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

haha that should keep him going for another few days!

Cristal June 12, 2011

The Big Summer Salad that you make (it’s listed under Do Couples Gain and Lose Together), is that recipe for 1 serving?

Erin June 12, 2011

I agree with some of the comments about the spinach…I think it has gone to seed, so it wouldn’t be good for eating anymore! :(
That sometimes happens when it is too hot for spinach – it likes the cooler weather in the spring. I would start some new seeds and see what happens. You have to harvest it early, especially it if is hot.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

Ah darnit!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 12, 2011

Fooooood!! I love my garden this year, the Padre is working so hard on it!! Slash I WANT/need those cupcakes

Mrs WV June 12, 2011

Oh wow!! your garden looks so good!! Don’t worry about the spinach going to seed, our rocket went to seed too! We only have two pots off of our balcony, but I love them! and can’t wait to get a real garden one day – in the mean time I will just crush on your garden!

melissa June 12, 2011

I love cremini! We always sub for more cremini mushrooms in our weekly CSA box.

The garden is beautiful!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 12, 2011

The garden pictures are SO VIBRANT! They are jumping off the page. Nice shots, and nice work in editing b/c I know you shoot RAW and it’s an art, too, to get the editing right. And your final images..gorgeous!

And the Back on Track salad looks awesome! So do the ‘shrooms and the whole meal.

Way to impress your mom with the vegan cupcakes and being so fluffy without eggs. Just a testament to what a great cook you are :) And I’d love to dive into that buttercream frosting!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 12, 2011

The deck is coming along so nicely!

I would really like to have the back on track salad. it looks amazing!

Molly @ RDexposed June 12, 2011

These pictures are getting me excited for my own little spinach seeds to sprout up!

Stephenie Zamora June 12, 2011

Your garden looks amazing! As does that salad… yum! Off to check out the recipe! xo

Katie June 12, 2011

Definitely bolted. Sorry! You should harvest it all right now, because it will start to taste really bitter. You are going to have SO MUCH kale! I planted that much for myself and I had to freeze a ton of it. Still great in green monsters though. :)

The lettuce is ready to start eating, too! That kind of lettuce can be harvested as a full head like you get at the store you can harvest it continually by thinning the little leaves and eating them as baby lettuce (also like you buy at the store). The more you thin, the more leaves it puts out!

Wendy Irene June 12, 2011

What a beautiful family!

Jessica Sinclair June 12, 2011

The garden is looking great(flowers in too yay)! If Eric is intimidated by the staircases why doesn’t he get some precut stringers and install them? I think that Home Depot will do custom order if you call and let them know your measurements etc. . At least that way you can get off the deck without killing yourselves and you don’t have to worry about lost motivation… My husband does restoration work (insurance jobs) so I’m last on the list for everything….(he a painter/drywaller) I have to paint my own house too LOL.

Ally June 12, 2011

That looks so delicious! I love the back on track salad! What a good way to use what you have in the fridge. I think my spinach bolted, too. I’m not sure why, I had no problem with it but then again we have had some crazy weather.

kate June 12, 2011

I love your deck it looks great as does your meal I cant wait for dinner tonight, nothing better than summertime food!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 12, 2011

You’re making me so jealous with your garden full of greens! Do you think it’s too late for me to plant some?

I tried out your back on track salad a few weeks ago and I loved it. This post makes me want to make it again!

Enjoy your day with your mom. :)

Page 1 of 212»