From Dirt To Cake

Yesterday, the rain actually held off for most of the day which was nice. We got a lot of gardening done and hit up the nursery for some flowers.

IMG_7435

I bought some Impatiens, Geraniums, and Bellflowers to plant in the front garden. Before this, mom and I did a lot of weeding and prepped the bed with some topsoil leftover from my veggie garden.

IMG_7436

Things are shaping up around here! We almost seem like civilized home owners now. ;)

IMG_7431

Check out the spinach…it’s shooting up! I didn’t expect it to grow so vertically!

IMG_7452

Update: Many of you have said it has gone to seed and bolted. Sad smile SAD! Do you think it’s done for the summer months?

The kale grows outward and it’s getting nice and full.

IMG_7445

Yummy lettuce…

IMG_7449

This romaine lettuce is the biggest one so far:

IMG_7446

Sadly, I lost two lettuce so far…they just wilted up and died. No idea why!

The 2 Spanish Onions and 1 Red Onion continue to do well.

IMG_7447

And the cucumbers in the back are spreading fast.

IMG_7448

IMG_7426

Eric has been working away at the deck as usual!

IMG_7423

The rails are now all in and he is working on the top piece of the railing.

IMG_7424

This morning, Eric said to me that he is losing motivation to finish the deck… words that no wife ever wants to hear! ;) I’m trying to help him when I can and bring him lots of beer. :) I think he is quite intimidated by the 3 staircases he has to figure out…I’m so impressed with what he’s done so far though. It will be nice to have it finished and then he can take a break with renos for a while.

IMG_7425

After gardening, I made a huge batch of the Back on Track Salad…one of our favs!

IMG_7354-2

I made a few modifications this time, using some black beans, fresh dill, more lemon juice, and red onion. It was awesome with the dill and extra kick of lemon!

IMG_7357-2

I just love how versatile this salad is…you could adapt it so many ways and it’s always a crowd pleaser.

IMG_7361-2

Eric picked up a Pumpkin Cranberry Loaf to go along with lunch. Sadly, it wasn’t vegan due to an egg wash!

IMG_7370-2

IMG_7372-2

I had a bowl of the Back on Track salad and an Ezekiel wrap with veggies, avocado, and hummus.

IMG_7373-2

Unfortunately, my Aunt Jenn and family couldn’t make our dinner get together because Julia got sick with a bad stomach flu and was up all night. Poor girl! :(

We had a pretty low key night and relaxed with some beer and wine.

IMG_7392-2

IMG_7395-2

Eric BBQ’d chicken for him and my mom and I had a veggie burger. We had the Back on Track salad and Sautéed Crimini mushrooms with garlic and olive oil on the side. I picked up some mushrooms from a local mushroom farm and they were great. I really need to make Sautéed Crimini mushrooms more often…they are one of my favourite side dishes. I also loaded some onto my burger.

A delicious and filling meal!

IMG_7396-2

For dessert we each had a Whole Wheat Vegan Chocolate Cupcake with Spiced Buttercream! My mom couldn’t believe they didn’t have any eggs because they are so light and fluffy. It’s magic!

By the way, they also froze very well. I froze them for 2 days and then let them sit on the counter to defrost for a couple hours. They were still fresh as can be. :)

IMG_7385-2

Today, we’re heading out to do a little chandelier shopping (window-shopping?) and then I think my mom and I are going to bake. Sundays just don’t get any better… Enjoy your day!

Page 2 of 2«12
Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 16, 2011

Mmmmm, I am totally craving mushrooms right now!!! Good thing I have a BUNCH in my fridge!

JenATX June 13, 2011

poor Eric! Tell him the deck looks amazing and how worth it its going to be when yall can relax out there once its finished :)

Amber K June 13, 2011

My husband planted some veggies out at his grandma’s house, I wonder if everything is blooming! Because homegrown produce is just so tasty!

Gayathri B June 13, 2011

Gosh! How I love your blog!! Those VOO’s have been making a daily appearance in our lives! :-) And tongith I am going to try this Back to track salad .. because you ahve tempted me enough with it!!

About your garden .. I have just started gardening too since the last year and I am surprised to see that you are planting your geraniums with your impatiens. My geraniums love a good half day of sun at least and my impatiens love the shade and can’t take the sun at all. I need to start growing kale! That would be a nice add!

Elizabeth June 13, 2011

Yesterday was my birthday and I wanted you to know I celebrated with your whole wheat chocolate cupcake/ buttercream frosting recipe! Thanks for that recipe! I turned it into a cake, though. I’ve cut out alot of sugar from my diet and added less sugar and substituted agave nectar. Delicious! I’m not vegan – just a “clean eater” and I have to tell you that the first thing I do in the morning after my cup of green tea, is to check ohsheglows.com. Makes me joyful and happy and proud to be eating clean all day. Thanks for the inspiration, Angela!

Kathy June 13, 2011

love the deck! Maybe the Oh She Glows fans will give Eric motivation!!

So that’s what a spinach plant looks like! …darn…then those plants growing in my garden must be my dad’s potatoes…sad… oh well, I have carrots growing in June! …I think my black thumb will kill them all…

Cait's Plate June 13, 2011

Oh my gosh – all that food looks so fresh and amazing. I want to eat it right off the screen.

And HOLY CRAP! I can’t believe Eric built that deck!! That’s SO good! Never under estimate the beauty of having a handy man on your hands ;)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 13, 2011

Looks like you guys had a great weekend Ange, and a good visit with OSGMOM too! The deck looks awesome, and so does the garden – nice job on that Romaine! :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 13, 2011

All that food looks amazing, esp. your salad! I’ve been dying to make some cupcakes, they’re just so much fun :-)

LizAshlee June 13, 2011

Your garden and the deck are both coming along quite nicely…they look beautiful! Can I please come to your next gathering?! :) …the food looks so delicious…what a fun time!

Mushrooms Canada June 13, 2011

The deck is looking great Angela (and Eric)… and it looks like you are making great progress in your garden as well! Gotta love sauteed mushrooms as a side dish! I love them on burgers too! ;)
Glad to see you had a good weekend!
– Brittany

Emma @ Getting There & Going Places June 13, 2011

Wow the garden and the deck are looking great! :D
As is that salad! I definitely need to make that sometime!

Ashley June 13, 2011

Seriously so impressed by the deck. That was a GIgantic project to tackle! It looks professional for sure. We’re hoping to demo + rebuild a shed this summer…we’ll see! ;) Your garden + flowers are looking great. Looks like you’re having fun with mom!!

Hannah June 12, 2011

Vegan magic baking! We all know it’s the best kind :)

Katalin June 12, 2011

Spinach grows incredibly fast from seed, so if you removed all of what you have and just re-planted with seeds, you would have baby spinach in about 2-3 weeks. I planted my seeds on the May long weekend and am picking baby spinach every day already. I’ve heard that if you pick the outer leaves, it will be less likely to go to seed. We’ll see, I guess! I’m jealous of your kale – I haven’t even found kale here to buy yet. Oh, and the deck looks AMAZING.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2011

thanks!!

Katie June 12, 2011

Ooh, that salad looks so delicious! You must be proud of your deck-building hubby- handymen are hot :)

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me June 12, 2011

wow what a great day. Your landscaping and your deck look so amazing. I can understand why the poor guy would be tired! It looks like a ton of work but it looks SO good. He will feel awesome once it’s finished.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 12, 2011

I’ve got to ry that salad – it looks so refreshing! Those cupcakes look incredible. You’ve opened up a whole new world for me know that I know you can freeze them with no problem!

char @ char on a mission June 12, 2011

That salad looks so amazing. I love a salad with a lot of colours in it – so this is definitely on my list of salads to make…possibly tomorrow! What brand of veggie burger did you have? I had a Licks (from frozen) one at my sister-in-laws tonight and it was pretty good!

Julie (A Case of the Runs) June 12, 2011

So the freezing worked! Will keep in mind!

Carey @ Positively Blonde June 12, 2011

Wow, that deck looks awesome! Your husband’s done a great job! I remember when my Dad decided to finish the basement; I can imagine when taking on such large tasks it can be easy to lose motivation.

Kendra June 12, 2011

Did you add an orange pepper to the original salad recipe? Or maybe use half/half orange/red pepper?

Mary (sisters running the kitchen) June 12, 2011

wow this salad looks incredible!!! thanks for sharing !!!!!!!

Sam @ Mom At The Barre June 12, 2011

That cupcake looks delicious. And now I’m craving cupcakes….

Caitlin June 12, 2011

Definitely JUST finished making that salad about 30 seconds before reading this post! Love the black bean idea. I used chick peas, and am thinking of throwing some garlic scapes on top yummmm

April June 12, 2011

I didn’t know til now that your husband ate meat. How often do ya’ll have split dinners where he eats his thing and you eat yours? Or do ya’ll almost always eat your vegan meals together? I can barely get mine to eat anything that isn’t chocked full of sodium and processed. Thought you might have some magic up your sleeve!

Jessica Champion June 12, 2011

The deck looks amazing so far!! Glad to see that your garden is flourishing :). Just wanted to let you know I just ate a green monster popsicle, yep you read that right! Soo good. Have you made them before?

Amanda P June 12, 2011

I really want to make this Back on Track Salad. I love trying out your recipes when I need something new. They always turn out delicious! Good luck on the deck and garden!

Moni'sMeals June 12, 2011

You sure impress me. Just look at all that you get done. You go Angela!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 12, 2011

Your veggies look great! I want to grow my own kale now!

Lauren June 12, 2011

Very jealous about the garden! you have a probs have a bigger and greener thumb then me ;) I love cooking with my mum! well baking at least :) love this blog BTW. :) :)

katie June 12, 2011

your pictures look amazing with the rounded edges. Go Eric!!!! It looks amazing so far, keep up the awesome work.

Andrea @ Vegvacious June 12, 2011

Isn’t Mom time so awesome!? My mom lives 12 hours away and I love it when she comes to visit. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Lindsay Loves Veggies June 12, 2011

Your veggies garden is so adorable! I’m so jealous! I keep telling my boyfriend that we need to get a house, instead of our apartment, just so I can have a veggies garden! Maybe by next year?? :)

Abby June 12, 2011

Your deck is looking so beautiful! I love it!

Alaina June 12, 2011

Your garden continues to make me yearn for one. :-)

I’ll bet you’re looking forward to some amazing parties out on that deck!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat June 12, 2011

You could always replace the stairs with a slide :)

Just got back from working in Thunder Bay, and got some of that nice weather you spoke of. Heading to home to check on my garden. I had a couple of lettuce plants shrivel up too, and the others kind of stalled and haven’t really grown. Your garden is looking good!

Sheryl June 12, 2011

Love your website! I recently just came across it and I love all the recipes you’ve come up with! I wanted to know if you have a yet discovered a favorite veggie burger? I’ve tried a few that haven’t been horrible, but nothing I LOVE.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

I tend to like the Amy’s brand :)

emma June 12, 2011

Your salad spread looks delicious…and your photos are beautiful Angela :-)