Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

IMG 6717   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

Yesterday morning, I spotted a pack of squirrels throwing a Sunday brunch around my compost bin. The nerve! One of the squirrels was eating an apple core and another was feasting on a piece of burnt toast! Those crazy little buggers. It appears that the animals in our backyard do not want my compost waste to turn into soil….

This means war.

I even put rocks down last week to ‘prevent’ this from happening…

IMG 6635   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

But no such luck! The squirrels moved the rocks quite easily and entered through the trap door. I peered into the trap door and a chipmunk bolted out giving me quite a scare! Well, I probably scared him more than he scared me, but still. :)

So, I dug up some bigger rocks! I also put a stick between the holes in the door to ‘secure’ it. I use the term secure loosely here…we have some sneaky raccoons bandits around here!

IMG 6634   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

I think I just heard the squirrels laughing at my ‘big’ rocks. sigh.

IMG 6637   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

Eric and I spent most of Sunday installing the deck railing. It was monotonous work!

IMG 6641   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

Sawdust-covered boom box, anyone? Am I the last person on earth who even uses CD’s anymore!? I think I need an ipod…

IMG 6644   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

It went much slower than we anticipated due to the numerous measurements and calculations involved.

IMG 6639   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

Or maybe it was the beer..

IMG 6640   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

We left large gaps in two different places because we’re going to put glass in these sections. This will make the backyard more visible from the dining area of the deck and also from the house. We don’t want to close it off too much, so the glass will help open it up.

IMG 6636   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

It’s looking more and more polished with each day!

IMG 6614   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

For last night’s dinner, I intended to make the Penne and Roasted Vegetables out of the Clean Start cookbook, but once I got cooking I threw the recipe out the window and let my inspiration guide me. I just wasn’t in the mood to follow a recipe last night. Sometimes the cooking process is more enjoyable that way- if it turns out, that is. I’ve had many vegan disasters winging it, but fortunately, luck was on my side last night.

IMG 6711   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

IMG 6686   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

This pasta is fresh, fresh, fresh…great for Spring and Summer. Hopefully I can make it again this summer with my own veggies!

IMG 6664   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

I thought the sunlight gave the peppers a cool effect in this photo below…no diffusion disc required.

IMG 6665   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

Kamut pasta is a dream. I buy it at Superstore in the natural foods section. It has a better texture than brown rice pasta, even though I think both are great.

The best part about Kamut flour is that it is high in protein; just one serving of this pasta has 13 grams of protein! It’s a sneaky way for a vegan meal to pack in more protein. For another protein source, I also added in the edamame which gave a fresh crunch to the pasta dish. Eating a vegan dish certainly doesn’t mean that you need to skimp on protein.

IMG 6660   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

We gave this pasta two thumbs up and proceeded to have seconds.

IMG 6738   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

I tried some today at lunch and it was also good cold. :) Leftovers here I come…

IMG 6713   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

I hope your week is off to a great start. Happy Memorial Day to those of you in the US…I hope you are somewhere basking in the sun and having a BBQ! wlEmoticon sun3   Vegetable and Edamame Pasta with Basil Cream Sauce

Lenna May 31, 2011

Hi, you are awesome! I was just looking for some tasty and pretty looking pasta dish! You made my day:)

Casey Thomas May 31, 2011

Mmmmm this recipe looks divine! Love my avocado based pesto sauces. I think I make them at least twice a week…usually over spiralised zucchini and/or raw sweet potato, or smothered over well…anything ;). I also love it as a dip.

I recommend adding some cumin or cayenne pepper sometimes too of you want a little difference to your recipe…I do that with mine and it’s so good :)

Sara (The Veggie-Eco Life) May 31, 2011

Thanks so much for sharing this, it looks de-licious!

ellalinea May 31, 2011

Look like the desk is coming together so nicely! Do you guys have to treat the wood with something afterwards to protect it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

Yup we have to stain it soon…..noooooo

megan @ the oatmeal diaries May 31, 2011

Your recipes are always exquisite! And I totally still use CDs; you’re not alone! =P

Act Fast Chef May 31, 2011

This looks really yummy! I love “winging it” and having the meal turn out great. The thing about that is I usually forget to write down how I actually made the meal!

Sportsgirl May 31, 2011

I find it adorable that the Squirrels are raiding your compost! I know it must be annoying for you, but since we don’t have squirrels here I find it endearing :-)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes May 31, 2011

This looks amazing!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) May 31, 2011

Looks like a great fresh summer meal! I love anything with “basil” and “cream” in the title ;)

Looks like the deck is coming along nicely!

xo

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers May 31, 2011

That looks so great! I just made a basil sauce yesterday, but I think it would have been much better with avocado. I need to remember this!

Kaleigh May 31, 2011

Thanks for the info on the Kamut Pasta! I tried brown rice pasta once and found it to be a bit rubbery compared to whole wheat pasta…but i *may* have overcooked it. I’ll pick up some Kamut pasta this week because I’m def. trying this pasta dish this week. I love edamame!

As far as the squirrels go – we have the same problem, and were told to sprinkle chili powder over the base, or lid…..it did NOT work. I think they might have actually enjoyed the additional seasoning.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

Hah that’s funny about the seasoning! I find it’s really hard to cook brown rice pasta perfectly!

Kristen Waby May 31, 2011

Your food pics look to die for! The deck is coming along nicely!!

char @ char on a mission May 31, 2011

I honestly thought at first that you had MADE it to be a cold salad! It looks like it would be enjoyable either way! Thanks for the info about the kamut flour. I’m trying to make the switch away from meat, so knowing the pasta packs as much proteins as bean courses truly helps me out!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen May 31, 2011

The deck looks great!! and the pasta looks amaaazing!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner May 31, 2011

THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!! :D

jenna May 31, 2011

i can’t wait to try this salad it looks amazing!! i love your squirrels! lol so smart!

Beth (Well I'll Be) May 31, 2011

You need a yappy little dog to chase the squirrels away! Our compost bin is open on the top – no sneakiness required, but we’ve never had problems with critters getting in. Our dog Polly, has scared them all away. p.s. the deck is looking amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

Heh great idea!

LizAshlee May 31, 2011

The pasta looks divine! What a great way to sneak in protein with the high protein noodles.

All your hard work is paying off…the deck looks gorgeous!

Have a wonderful day!!

Laura @ prettylittlewords May 31, 2011

Angela, this looks SO delicious! As it just so happens, I have some extra beans, avocado and onion lying around the house…I’ll have to make this tonight! Except for one this time… :)

Speaking of which, do you ever post recipes “for one?” I live by myself and have a hard time coming up with things to make that won’t leave me with 495834908534908 dirty dishes, too much leftover food, or 19 half-used ingredients lying around…

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

I don’t typically do single servings because I love leftovers and think leftovers actually save me time in the big picture (easy lunches!), but I’ll keep it in mind!

Laura May 31, 2011

This looks SO good…seeing as I am already heading to Whole Foods this afternoon, I am trying this TONIGHT!

Meg May 31, 2011

This recipe looks very tasty. I am going to add it to the menu this week. Thanks for always sharing all your GREAT recipes! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) May 31, 2011

If this pasta dish is anywhere near as good as your Alfredo pasta, then I know I will LOVE it. Your recipes are ALWAYS the best!

Cookie and Kate May 31, 2011

This recipe is absolutely the healthy summer pasta recipe I’ve been looking for. Looks amazing, can’t wait to try it!

Stacy @ Stacy Eats June 4, 2011

Yum this looks and sounds so so good. I think I might make it for dinner tonight because I have most of the ingredients on hand already! Thanks for sharing your always delicious and inspiring recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

Enjoy!

Randi June 4, 2011

Made the pasta for dinner tonight – was amazing – everyone loved it! Followed the recipe but used red and yellow cherry tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes and added some left over sugar snap peas as well. The basil cream sauce was fabulous. Just found your blog and I love your story – very inspiring! Looking forward to trying out many more of your recipes, they all look delicious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

I’m so glad that it went over well :) Great modifications too!

Sarah June 6, 2011

Angela,

I just made this for lunch/dinner (leftovers!). WOW that basil/avocado combo is out of this world! I could eat that by the spoonfull. Thanks for the healthy inspirational eats! :)

lisa June 14, 2011

i really like the way you do home improvement. my husband and i have been tearing our house apart and putting it back together for ten years now. we, too, have a sawdust covered boom box (CDs all the way!) and his favorite building attire is a pair of cargo shorts to hold the Pacifico beer in the leg pocket.
rock on!

Paula Lafleur April 25, 2012

This was such an amazing dish. Love it.. mine turned out great and I really enjoy it cold:

courtney cloe June 7, 2012

Any chance I could leave out some or all of the oil? I am really trying to cut it out of our meals.

Dev Amrit October 20, 2012

Hi. I made this pasta yesterday and we loved it. Since I can’t eat peppers I replaced them with chayote ( a mexican veg. I’m in Mexico) and corn and it was great. Love your site. Blessings

Megan January 20, 2013

Made this for dinner last night – it was great! Added some sun-dried tomatoes with the pasta near the end of cooking, and roasted my veggies (zucchini, red onion, yellow pepper, sweet potato) in the oven before adding to the pasta. Really nice flavours! Thanks for the recipe!

Christine August 4, 2013

I’ve been following your site for about six months and have made a few recipes . Tonight I tried your basil cream pasta and it was fantastic. It was so fresh tasting. I actually had to add some spinach because I did not have enough basil and it still tastes wonderful wish I would have tried it sooner. Thanks

vaseux January 15, 2014

This looks so good it’s making my tummy rumble! I’ll definitely make this soon… I bet some shredded carrots, corn, and spinach would go really nicely in this too! I’m really looking forward to trying out the avocado cream sauce! :)

Page 2 of 2«12