Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad & Sweat Wicking Workout Wear

Happy Friday! This short work week really flew by. I’m currently working on a vegan recipe assignment for a magazine that’s due this week and will be published in September. I’m excited to share it with you! I’m testing & writing recipes this afternoon so hopefully no disasters/small kitchen fires/flops occur… ;)

You know what I love when things are busy? Quick lunches that can be thrown together in just minutes. When I returned from a hot yoga class yesterday, I wanted something ready in 10 minutes. It was either that, or I was going to scarf a pint of Coconut Bliss. I came across a delicious looking chickpea salad recipe on Heather’s blog and I knew it would be right up my alley.

This salad did not disappoint!

IMG 6377   Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad & Sweat Wicking Workout Wear

IMG 6376 2   Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad & Sweat Wicking Workout Wear

Some changes I made:

• cut down the oil by over half
  • increased the Cilantro
  • added some cumin spice
  • reduced sugar
  • slightly reduced lime

It was enjoyed over a bed of leftover brown rice…a great combo! I also doubled the recipe I posted above because Eric was home for lunch too.

The dressing has quite a bite to it, thanks to the lime and lack of oil, so please feel free to adjust the dressing to your taste buds liking. We thought it was quite refreshing and I love that it packs in spinach greens too.

IMG 6378   Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad & Sweat Wicking Workout Wear

If you aren’t a Cilantro fan, you could always experiment with other herbs (parsley could be fun!), but I must say the Cilantro-lime combo is a dream to my taste buds. Thanks Heather for a great recipe!

lulemon yogq colours   Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad & Sweat Wicking Workout Wear

[image source]

The Great Sweat-Wicking Workout Wear Debate

Lately, the workout tanks that I’ve been wearing to Hot Yoga have left me feeling like a wet sponge!

They just aren’t working for me and by the end of class my shirt is a sopping puddle of sweat sticking to my skin (great visual, I know). This prompted me to ask on Twitter what your favourite sweat-wicking workout tops are.

Here are some of the responses that I received:

lululemon090803 560   Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad & Sweat Wicking Workout Wear

[image source]

I’m definitely going to check some of these out. :)

Do you have any favourite workout clothes that wick sweat and breathe well?

jenna May 27, 2011

i’m in love with your wooden bowls!! they are gorgeous!

this salad would be great with a variety of beans as well! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2011

thanks got them at the antique market!

kaila @ healthy helper! May 27, 2011

Haha I was just about to say that! They are so pretty!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans May 27, 2011

That salad looks so yummy and fresh…perfect for a BBQ or picnic! And as always your photography is outstanding!!

Lauren May 27, 2011

That chickpea salad looks great! I love chickpeas so this is definitely going on my ‘Make soon’ list! :D

Jenny May 27, 2011

I have to agree with about the cilantro + lime combo… Though the added cumin also marries beautifully with cilantro and lime, I find! I love cilantro and chickpeas – so this dish is right up my alley. Thanks, I know what I’m having tomorrow, for sure! :D Also a great way to sneak in some spinach – I’m guessing it’s not very noticeable, because of the strong flavours from lime and cilantro? My mother hates spinach… Maybe I will make this for both of us to squeeze some more greens into her day, haha.

For sweat wicking… I have to say, I love anything made by Nike for that purpose! Though I’ve never tried Lululemon, I’ve heard many great things about its sweat-wicking tops… so I imagine that anything you buy from there will work well. Best of luck finding what you’re looking for!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2011

Nope we couldnt detect the spinach!

Ali June 1, 2011

Yum! I’m making the Cliantro Lime Chickpea Salad for lunch today. Anything requiring zero cooking is perfect for hot southern days. This is my first recipe I’m trying out from your blog… and I have several more planned for the week. SO excited!!!

Amanda May 27, 2011

Cilantro is a banned food in our house. My Fiance hates the taste and smell of it. I grew some last year in our garden and even tried to sneak it into a few meals but he knew instantly :(

Jenny May 11, 2012

Maybe you could use fresh parsley instead?

Kat May 27, 2011

I can’t wait to see all of your magazine assignments. You always put some of my favorite foods together. I love chickpeas, cilantro, and cumin!

Heather J May 27, 2011

Hot yoga is the only workout in which I don’t even bother with a shirt… just rock out with a sports bra (Lululemon’s are the best).

Leah @ Why Deprive? May 27, 2011

That chickpea salad sounds amazing. Im pretty much obsessed with cilantro, so thats all you need to sell me on it. :)

Dorry May 27, 2011

I work at lululemon and I’m so happy to see so many people recommended several of our tanks. They really are incredibly supportive and comfortable. :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 27, 2011

That looks delicious! Perfect for a warm weekend :) Thanks Angela!

Michelle May 27, 2011

Hi Angela,

I mentioned Prana to you before in regards to a mat and I’m going to say it again. Prana! They have a beautiful clothing line and you can order online.

The other company is Under Armour. I haven’t tried them out personally, but my stepson loves their stuff. He wears their tanks under his hockey gear and that is all that we hear about. Apparently they keep him dry while he’s on the ice, which is very important. They have a website filled with info (http://www.underarmour.com/shop/ca). I’m so glad that you’re really enjoying yoga!

Angie May 27, 2011

I second the suggestion for Prana. Great tops and nice big handbands (similar to Bondi Bands) are my favorites.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2011

thanks!!!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa May 27, 2011

Cilantro + lime just screams summer to me!

Have you checked out Alo gear? I am a fan of the items I’ve gotten from them.

Nikki May 27, 2011

Hi highly recommended doing hot yoga in your sports bra, no need for a shirt. The less wet clothes to deal with, the better. I love the super inexpensive champion sports bras Target sells. They make them with thin straps and tons of fun colors. I believe its called the seamless cami bra.

Jill in Chicago May 27, 2011

Hi Angela,
I was the gal who requested you share the hot yoga apparel recommendations via Twitter — thank you for posting them here! I am loving hot yoga!
Also, can’t wait to try this recipe this weekend.
Jill

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2011

no prob!

Shay May 27, 2011

MMmmm Mmmmmm mmm. The green-ness of the salad really appeals to me. I love me some colorful salad, but pure green with pops of tan from the chickpeas screams summer to me.

Honestly, I’ve gotten some of my best workout tanks from good old Tar-jay. They’ve really stepped up their game in that department!

Best of luck!

Erin May 27, 2011

I’m not a fan of box stores, but I must admit I’m looking forward to having Target in Canada!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2011

me too!!! is it next year?

Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 27, 2011

I like the target range of tops, too. Great quality, great price!

And I love love love the cilantro-lime combo! Too good. And I love chickpeas! Winner in my book :D

Dayanna May 27, 2011

Yum – looks like another fabulous recipe!
Both lululemon and shakti make some great apparel for hot yoga classes! I have a few items from each that I absolutely love! :)

Christabel May 27, 2011

Another great line of wicking yoga wear to check out is Tuff Athletics or Kirkland brand at Costco. I’m not sure if you have one where you are.

They have some great crops and tanks right now and they are similar to Lululemon (who I also love!). They run a bit larger, otherwise so far I love them!

The gap also has a good line right now too!

Lisa Fine May 27, 2011

That salad looks yum! We have tons of oregano in our garden, so I may try to recreate this using oregano instead. [It'll be a while before I can harvest our little cilantro plants.]

As for workout clothes, I like to buy stuff at Target [as long as it contains no cotton], and I have some Patagonia tops I’ve bought on sale and at outlets over the years. The quality of Patagonia is excellent.

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 27, 2011

I get either Target workout clothes or Under Armour. I’ve heard great things about lululemon but I cannot justify spending that much on workout clothes!

Kristina @ spabettie May 27, 2011

not a cilantro fan here, but… basil sounds good to me! your salad is beautiful!

my favorite right now (currently wearing both!) is the Lucy power cardio capri and power yoga halter – awesome fabric (like lulu, it lasts) fits comfortably, is functional while looking cute.

Katherine May 27, 2011

How did you get into yoga?
I have been wanting to try it out-I think there is class at the local gym. What do you wear? What do you have to bring?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2011
Laura May 27, 2011

Love love love Lululemon Scoopneck or Circuit Tanks! Both have optional cuplets for privacy, ahem* and wick that sweat away

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood May 27, 2011

Cilantro is my favorite herb… guess I take after my guinea pig in that respect :-D

I usually just wear a sports bra to hot yoga… but like most people, I sweat like no tomorrow after. :(

Carly May 27, 2011

I am not a cilantro fan, I might play around with this recipe a bit!

Hands down my best sweat wicking top is from Costco! I love their workout tops…the pants stretch out too much however.

Beth (Well I'll Be) May 27, 2011

I’d be interested to see how much a difference a sweat-wicking top makes in hot yoga. I always look like I’ve jumped into a pool after hot yoga, so I don’t know if anything would help me. Keep us updated though!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg May 27, 2011

I marked this recipe when Heather posted it– I love anything that centers around cilantro!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 27, 2011

I love the 1st pic of the salad, especially, it looks sooo pretty. SUBMIT! But it’s a vertical shot and if you’re like me, you wont be able to get it to fit properly in the crop boxes and the composition gets thrown off and it won’t work. <—story of my life with vert shots. lol

If you have tips other than just lopping off one "end", lmk! TS is easier than FG in that regard if your composition allows it.

but i digress.

Workout wear that wicks sweat. You know, I have come to realize that I am going to sweat and it's just going to be on me. Like down here in Aruba, it's 90F and humid and I pour out sweat, it gets all over me and my clothes, and then I shower and call it a day. I have tried all the fancy things, make no real diff for me personally, so I buy target sports bras and cheapie stuff and call it a day :) But would love a true solution, of course. Just dont hold out much hope. lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2011

I cant wait til target comes to Canada!

I always always submit my vertical shots…I find it so much easier to just snip the top and bottom off. Funny how we are opposites like that!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 27, 2011

Cilantro is my favorite! That recipe makes me want to wrap it in a cron tortilla and toss avocado on it. Perfect for a warm weekend. :)

Alyssa May 28, 2011

Oooo! That sounds delicious!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen May 27, 2011

Ohh – what a great use for chickpeas!! Looks amazing.

Erin, too May 27, 2011

I picked up a couple of the Target tanks and they are awesome. They’re loose fitting which I prefer becouse I don’t like fabric too tight on my tummy (makes me feel self-conscious). They were on sale for $7.50, too! Can’t beat that when you compare the prices of Nike and Lulu!

Heather (heathers dish) May 27, 2011

Yeah! I’m so glad you liked it Angela…andyhe cumin addition sounds fantastic to me :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2011

it was amazing!! Thank youuuu

Chloe (Skinny on South Beach) May 27, 2011

I’ve been told that in hot yoga you don’t want to wipe/wick your sweat away because it is acting to cool down your body, so maybe it’s a good thing to be covered in sweat! I know I’m always dripping no matter what I’m wearing :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2011

Hmm interesting! Thanks :)

Laura @ Starting Out Fit May 27, 2011

That’s two new salad recipes in one week added to my meal plan!! :) awesome

Ragnhild May 27, 2011

I have a huge craving for Cilantro and Lime AND Chickpeas at the moment- so this sure hit the spot:)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 27, 2011

Great recipe Ange! I’m not sure it’s possible to do a hot yoga class and NOT come out soaking wet, but I usually wear my Lululemon Cook Racerbacks because they’re breathable. Also, they’re longer than a lot of other workout tops so when I put my arms up in yoga classes, I don’t have to worry about the shirt riding up too!

Connie May 27, 2011

i love lululemon! i started wearing it before it got popular, but now i wear it less cuz its not being made locally anymore.

your salad looks great! but im not a huge cilantro fann.. eww

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2011

I know I was so sad to hear that they make their clothes in Asia now :(

Tracy May 27, 2011

Honestly, sweat wicking material isn’t going to help much in a hot class. The sweat can’t evaporate in a heated room; it has nowhere to go. Whatever material you’re wearing will soak up sweat and get heavier, and when the material is saturated it won’t be able to wick away anymore sweat. So I suggest you wear as little as possible with the lightest fabric possible and try the bras, tanks, and shorts made by lululemon especially for hot yoga.

Tracy May 27, 2011

Honestly, sweat wicking material isn’t going to help much in a hot class. The sweat can’t evaporate in a heated room; it has nowhere to go. Whatever material you’re wearing will soak up sweat and get heavier, and when the material is saturated it won’t be able to wick away any more sweat. So I suggest you wear as little as possible with the lightest fabric possible and try the bras, tanks, and shorts made by lululemon especially for hot yoga.

Charlie May 27, 2011

That salad sounds so good and refreshing! Got to try it :).

Page 1 of 3123»