Husband’s Healing Stew

IMG_4865

Thank you for your comments in yesterday’s post! It really cheered me up when I read them this morning after another rough night of little sleep.

Lately, my eats have looked like this…

IMG_4831 IMG_4832

Blah. Those two pictures look about as exciting as I feel right now.

I think Eric got sick of watching me eat oatmeal, Coconut Bliss, and chia seed pudding all weekend, so he took matters into his own hands and made a kick-butt stew for dinner.

He grabbed every veggie he could find and he announced that a HEALING stew would be made for our unconventional Easter dinner.

IMG_4836

With a little guidance from a recipe on Whole Foods, healing magic happened.

IMG_4929

Husband’s Healing Stew

print this recipe!

Adapted from Whole Foods.

Yield: Over 10 cups

Ingredients:

• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 small sweet onions, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground corriander
  • 2 bay leaves (optional)
  • 2 small zucchini, chopped
  • 1 yellow pepper + 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 4 cups organic vegetable broth (not low sodium), or more as needed
  • 1, 28-oz can diced organic tomatoes (no added salt)
  • 1/2 cup uncooked raw buckwheat groats, rinsed (or grain of choice)
  • 1/2 cup uncooked pearled barley, rinsed (or grain of choice)
  • 1/2 cup frozen Edamame (or bean of choice)
  • 1.5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
  • 5-10 shakes red pepper flakes, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt + Black pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. In a large pot over low heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil and the chopped sweet onion, green onion, and minced garlic. Heat over low until translucent, about 5-8 minutes.

2. Stir in coriander, cinnamon, and two bay leaves and heat an additional minute or two. Now, add in the chopped vegetables (zucchini, peppers, carrots) and cook for about 5 more minutes. Add a bit more oil if necessary.

3. Stir in the diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, rinsed buckwheat and pearled barley (or grains of choice). Simmer on low-medium heat (dial 3-4) for 20 minutes, checking often to make sure it doesn’t burn or thin out too much. Add a bit more broth or water if necessary and reduce heat when needed.

4. After 20 minutes, add in the lemon juice and additional seasonings- all to taste (minced parsley, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and salt & pepper).  Cook for another few minutes, remove bay leaves, and serve with fresh bread. Makes over 10 cups. Freeze leftovers or store in the fridge.

Helpful hints:

• You can have success using a wide range of vegetables, seasonings, and grains of your choice.
  • Always adjust the seasonings to taste and add them gradually. My taste buds are quite muted right now, so we made it spicy. :)

Every good healing stew begins with garlic!

IMG_4847

We used pearled barley and raw buckwheat, but you could use any kind of grains you want.

IMG_4839 IMG_4841

Oh and some frozen Edamame was thrown in at the last minute for extra protein.

IMG_4850

IMG_4852IMG_4854

Like most soups, there is a lot of chopping to do, but other than that, it is fool-proof.

IMG_4859

After simmering for 20 minutes the grains cooked up and the stew got nice and thick.

IMG_4865

Eric asked me to add more seasonings, and I think I went a bit crazy with the red pepper flakes! He said it was quite spicy, but I didn’t really taste it. ;) Oops.

IMG_4897

Served with fresh bread and Earth Balance.it was the perfect, healing meal.

IMG_4925

IMG_4929

Even though I can’t taste or smell that well right now, I know this was a good stew! There was a lot of love in it.

The best part about this stew was that my sinuses were clear after eating it. ;)

IMG_4941

For dessert, we had a piece of Carrot Cake Loaf with Lemon Glaze– which defrosted wonderfully by the way- and was SUPER fresh! We are in love with it. I will be making this loaf again and again.

IMG_4943

There are a lot of healing leftovers for me this week! Take that flu. I’ll squash you like an ant.

IMG_4951

Before you go, I have a little assignment for you…

Quite a few of you expressed interest that you would love a follow-up after my Lessons in Self-Love post. Intuitive and mindful eating seemed to be a topic that you wanted to explore more.

I thought it would be cool to see if you have any questions pertaining to the following areas:

• Intuitive & mindful eating
  • Binge eating
  • Calorie counting
  • Weight maintenance
  • Happy weight
  • Disordered eating
  • Body image/Self-confidence
  • Hunger signals

I will be happy to provide my own experiences if you have anything on your mind that you would like explored more. Just leave your question (or questions) below and I will pick some of them to answer in a follow-up post, Q & A format.

Page 5 of 5«12345
Emilie June 6, 2017

This recipe is one of my favorties now! The fresh bread on the picture looks so good!! Is it possible to have the recipe? It looks like the perfect combo!! Thank you for your amazing recipes, you are a family favorite!!

Angela Liddon June 12, 2017

Hey Emilie, I’m sorry it was bought from a bakery and I don’t have the recipe. I’ll have to try making a bread recipe for the blog sometime though! :)

Megan December 21, 2015

Made this tonight – added cabbage and fresh ginger. So good, very filling!

Kristina October 4, 2015

I made this stew and it was fantastic……..I’m wondering if anyone has tried it in a crockpot, and if so, do they liquid amounts remain the same & how long should it cook on low setting?
thanks!

Emily Maxey April 28, 2014

Angela! I love your recipes. My VERY “first” cookbook for my apartment next school year will be yours! I would love if you could do a post or give me ideas about what are good foods that save well (freeze, taste great the next day) and what foods are cheap(er) for a girl on a college budget who still wants to glow!

Elaine February 13, 2014

Thank you for sharing this recipe. It was delicious!

Laurie H January 8, 2014

LOVE this soup! I am just getting ready to make this for the 2nd time since New Year’s!
Y U M M Y – thank you for sharing with us!

Josephine August 28, 2013

I love stews, probably the best food ever. But I don’t eat it often because everytime I do I get sooo thirsty from all the salt in there. :( Anyone has an idea what to do against that? Is there a way to give soups and stews flavour without so much sodium?

Nicole Ledoux April 7, 2013

I made this last night with quinoa and brown rice. It was absolutely fabulous! I’m looking forward to my lunches this week. Thanks.

Leah February 8, 2013

Hi,
I just wanted to tell you that I make this stew twice a month, at least. I love having it for lunches. My digestive system feels recharged every time I eat it! I’ve had lots of digestive issues over the years and this really seems to be helping so much! Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Leah

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 8, 2013

Glad to hear that Leah!

Vegan Radhika Sarohia December 13, 2012

This soup looks awesome and I will be making it soon!
Re the ED questions which were probably answered in the next blog post (I will look for that) I just wanted to add that a book I found helpful was by Geneen ROth and it was called “Breaking Free From Compulsive EAting”
Or maybe it was “Breaking Free From EMotional EAting”
Anyway it was quite ameliorative over the long term, thought I’d mention the title for others who may come across this comments section :)

[Plz feel free to remove or edit this comment if it’s not cool to mention a book title…I’m not affiliated or associated with the author or book company or anything, I just randomly found a copy at the library once, and I liked it.]

Brittney November 28, 2012

I’ve been battling an evil sore throat all week and have had a hankerin’ for some good soup. I came across this recipe, and let me just say: life changing! It’s so delicious! I only made a couple tiny changes (no red pepper flakes, chicken broth instead of veggie, sweet peas instead of Edamame). I think my favorite part is the cinnamon; never would have thought to add that to stew.

Jasmin October 14, 2012

I made this but I didn’t have the bulgur or the buckwheat so I used quinoa and brown rice instead. It was absolutely amazing! I can’t believe I’ve waited this long to make it! I had a ton of leftovers so I frozen them. Today I went out and bought buckwheat and bulgur so I can’t wait to try it out with those! Thank you!

Leah July 30, 2012

Made this stew last night. It was delish! Thanks so much for sharing!

Kath Warren May 12, 2012

This looks so yummy! Can’t wait to make it!

Rachel May 11, 2011

Made this last night and looved it. Great job, hubby! Didn’t have coriander and used just barley, but I still could literally feel myself feeling better. I’m definitely going to make this when feeling sick. It’s so colorful and full of fresh flavors that one can’t help but feel happy.

Shannon May 8, 2011

I made this soup to comfort my girlfriend after her mother passed… i would just like to attest that its healing powers reach all the way to the soul! It’s my first try with one of your recipes and it was amazing, simple to make, and delicious. Thank you!