The Sick Easter Bunny

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 24, 2011

IMG_4868

Happy Easter to those of you celebrating! I hope the bunny was good to you. :)

After being up all night Friday, Eric took me to the walk-in clinic first thing Saturday morning. It was a bit of a challenge finding one that was open on a long weekend, but eventually we did.

‘Open your mouth and stick out your tongue. Say Awww.’

‘…………aw………..’ said in a scratchy & weak voice.

Beams light into throat. Looks in ears. Listens to heartbeat.

‘Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is it doesn’t look like Strep and the bad news is your symptoms look like the flu that is going around. It is a pretty nasty one that lasts between 2-4 weeks. I’ve had it now myself for 4 weeks.’

‘Pull the plug.’

‘Unfortunately, I can’t prescribe you antibiotics for this- or pull the plug- so you just need to wait it out.’

I like having a purpose or mission even when sick so we headed straight to the Natural Food store and stocked up on all kinds of weird and wonderful things. I picked up some Oil of Oregano, Echinacea, natural cough syrup, and Vit C + Zinc lozenges.

I’m a flu fighting machine. I have a mission and I feel a bit more alive already.

I continue juicing every morning, drinking fresh lemon and ginger tea, and gargling with salt water 4-5 times a day. Oh, and I’m getting a hefty dose of Coconut Bliss to balance out all that salt. The only thing I suck at right now is sleep. It eludes me.

We had to cancel our plans to visit my in-laws for Easter and I’ve been pretty bummed all weekend because I was really looking forward to getting away. But it is what it is. I’m sure they don’t want my germs anyways. Eric is taking good care of me and I have him on a flu prevention plan. :)

There is a rumour going around that he is cooking dinner for me tonight, so I better go investigate…

More on that tomorrow though. Goodnight. Drive safe. Sleep tight. Stay away from the flu monster…it bites.

The Teenage Taste April 24, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Hope you feel better soon, Angela! It sucks to be sick, but you seem really prepared. You’ll be well in no time! :-D

[email protected] April 24, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Happy Easter you poor thing, I hope you feel better soon :)

Lisa Fine April 24, 2011 at 4:57 pm

So sorry you have the flu, Angela. Hope you’re feeling better soon. All of those remedies look like they’ll do the trick, but definitely sleep is a big one too.

Enjoy Eric’s dinner – it’s good that you have him to take care of you when you’re feeling under the weather.

Kirsten April 24, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Hey Angela,
Have you tried using a Neti pot? It’s available here at the pharmacy for about 20$ (shoppers’). If you don’t know what that is, just YouTube it. Whenever I have a sore throat, or the beginnings of a stuffy nose/sinus cold, i use it twice daily. It can totally avert a crisis, but if you’re already IN crisis mode (i.e. sick) then it’ll REALLLY help. The..ahem…mucus…that is dripping down your throat causing it to be sore gets flushed out. It’s like a salt water gargle for your sinuses.
Hope that helps! Good luck and feel better soon.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2011 at 8:29 am

I have heard of it and Ive thought about trying it…maybe I will pick one up today. It sounds scary though!!!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 25, 2011 at 9:58 am

I used this everyday of my cold and it was gone after a week! Neti pot rocks! Get better soon lady!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2011 at 11:08 am

thanks! I think I will pick one up today :)

Kirsten April 25, 2011 at 11:17 am

Not at all. I can’t say I would LOVE to use it, but it’s okay and the results are totally worth it.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans April 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Aww!! Sorry you are still so sick! I hope you feel better soon and fight it faster because you live such a healthy life! :)

Traci April 24, 2011 at 5:06 pm

So sorry you are sick :( Feel better soon!

Olya April 24, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I hope you’ll have a good sleep! And feel better in the morning. If you were here, I would have made you something warm, wrapped you up in a blanket and made you sit by the fire. Just like momma used to do to me. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2011 at 8:29 am

awww :)

Allie (Nutty FlexitALLIEan) April 24, 2011 at 5:10 pm

sorry you’re sick :-(. Sounds like you’re taking good care of yourself and will hopefully feel better every day! Happy Easter!

Kristi April 24, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Feel better!

bitt of raw April 24, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Feel better soon!

Kelly April 24, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I hope you feel better soon! Being sick on Easter is no fun :(

Erin @ The Grass Skirt April 24, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I hope that you feel better soon! Being sick is no fun, especially on holidays. I’m sure that Eric will take great care of you, and those germs will be powerless against all those chia seeds floating around inside your body! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2011 at 8:29 am

haha indeed

Brittany April 24, 2011 at 5:16 pm

So sorry to hear you’re not feeling well lady!

Happy Easter and get sell soon, Ange.

veganlisa April 24, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Just say the word and a care package will be put in the mail. xo

tea-bag April 24, 2011 at 5:19 pm

oh! i hope you feel better soon! maybe the easter bunny will bring you extra vitamin c! :)

Emily April 24, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I’m sorry you’re not feeling well, you seem SO positive despite it! :D I have a little cold that I’m hoping doesn’t turn into anything more…!

Lauren April 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Oh no, I’m sorry you got a bug! That’s the worst, when you just have to wait it out and no meds can save you. Feel better soon!

Marissa April 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm

so sorry to hear you are sick…back in February, I actually had the flu as well, and it’s so strange because I hadn’t had it in maybe 10 years or so. but, hopefully it will not last too long. i was completely better in about 2 weeks, and with your healthy lifestyle, i am sure you will be better FAST!!! get lots of rest and stay hydrated!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2011 at 8:30 am

I feel the same way…I dont think I have been this sick in over 10 years or longer!

Audrey April 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm

You poor thing! Get well soon!

Julie @ Shining From Within April 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Feel better ..xo!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Awww, I sure hope you feel better soon! It’s never fun to be sick… especially on a holiday. Take good care of yourself and Happy Easter! :)

CH April 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Feel better soon! I had a bad cold for the last week with a really sore throat, but I think it is on its way out. Hope fully yours lasts 24 hours and NOT 2-4 weeks! Sending good vibes your way.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Hope you are feeling more like your old self soon friend ! :-l …can’t wait to see what Eric makes you for dinner :-D

barefoot and frolicking April 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Hope you feel better soon Angela! Are you a fan of green juices? They might help to alkalize you more quickly than the fruitier juices. Warm water, lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne can also help to knock out a cold. Plus lots of water and greens if you can stomach them. Wishing you a quick recovery girl :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 24, 2011 at 5:48 pm

2-4 weeks?? :( Hope you feel better SOON!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 24, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Those illnesses that you have to “wait out” are absolutely the worst! I wish you a speedy recovery… less than 2 weeks .. you deserve if for all of the inspiration you have spread through your site!

whitney April 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Oh my! I hope you get better ASAP! :/

Whitney

Niamh April 24, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I have the cold so I know how it feels.
Get better soon xo

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 24, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I’m sorry your flu got in the way of your family plans. I hope you had a great Easter anyways though and get better soon! :)

Red Deception April 24, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I hope you feel better soon! Rest up :)

Sarah April 24, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Oh man what a bummer! Hope you feel better soon and keep up the good spirits!

Meredith April 24, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Hope you feel better soon! And buy some softer tissue! That PC kind is rough.

Stephanie April 24, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Sorry you’re not feeling well! The flu is such a jerk. :( Feel better soon!

Marla April 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Oh no my friend…..sorry to read you are still feeling yucky. Hopefully that flu bug will not stick around too long. With your healthy lifestyle bet you will beat it quickly. xo
Enjoy that special dinner :)

Dawn April 24, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Feel better soon!!!! When I have a cold, I love those Emergen-C packages, I pour them into a little Pom juice and top with ice cold water. Delicious and refreshing, and full of extra vitamins!
Take care of yourself,
Dawn :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 24, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Feel beter girl! After being sick twice this year I’ve actually developed a taste for oil or oregano … kind of like when you grow up and start liking the taste of wine, yeah I have an advanced palette I guess hahaha

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2011 at 8:31 am

haha I could totally see that happening. I say it tastes so bad it HAS to work! How could something that powerful not work?

cathy April 24, 2011 at 7:11 pm

oh, angela, i hope you feel better soon….not in 4 weeks! yikes!
i hope you can have a “belated easter” with family when you feel better. my brother is travelling this weekend, so we’re going to celebrate in mid-may – better late than never! get some half price easter chocolate tomorrow – that will help with healing! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 24, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Angela, so sorry you’re sick! My whole household was sick for about 3-4 weeks with a really bad cold/virus and I went to the dr, not strep, nothing they could do…so we all hacked and coughed for about 3-4 weeks. It sucked but we’re fine now. In the meantime, I hope YOU get well soon!!!!

You already know increase your probitics/fermented foods, ginger, Vitamin C, water, sleep, etc to help your body fight it better…

Hang in there!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 24, 2011 at 7:32 pm

My husband has been sick for about 4 weeks now… I wonder if that’s what he has. Hmmm….

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2011 at 8:32 am

Apparently it is going around like crazy! doc said he had a dozen just this weekend with exact same symptoms

rebecca lustig April 24, 2011 at 7:33 pm

oh i hope you feel better! im not feeling too hot either! spring fever?!

happy easter

Tessa @ Amazing Asset April 24, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Angela, I’m so sorry to hear that you are sick! And 2-4 weeks, sheeshe! I honestly bet you will heal a whole lot quicker than that because you eat so dang healthy and all of those antioxidants and nutrients you provide your body with will surely help you fight this bad boy :)
Feel better soon!

Angel7 April 24, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I have had a scratchy throat ever since I read your blog when you announced you were first sick. Did I catch what you have through the computer screen? :) Just kidding. I hope you feel better soon, and that I am on my way to feeling better as well.

Happy Easter!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2011 at 8:33 am

eek! Stop licking the screen!!! ;)

GingerandRice April 24, 2011 at 8:12 pm

OH NO!!!! Please feel better! Drink some echinacea tea. About 4 cups a day will make it go away. :)

Corinne April 24, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I had that flu in January, I couldn’t talk for 3 weeks. You poor thing…it is nasty! Just don’t talk…it’s the worst thing you can do. Drink lots, eat Coconut Bliss (like I did!), gargle, eat Manuka honey…and wait. It’s all you can do!
Feel better!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2011 at 8:33 am

I know, Im so quiet…not like me!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel April 24, 2011 at 8:15 pm

aweeee :(

Hoppy Easter !!!
hope you feel better xoxo <3

Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc April 24, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Angela, I hope that you get well soon. I think rest is probably still the best medicine for the body. My mom’s yoga instructor told her that some deep breathing exercises will actually help one to have a better sleep. It does seem to help for me:)

alex April 24, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Hi angela! I’m sorry you’re sick :( try apple cider vinegar it helps to rebalance the bodys acid level… hope you get better soon! :)

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts April 24, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Oh I am so sorry :( The flu is horrible to get…I hope all of your remedies do something helpful and you feel better SOON. And I hope Eric is doing nice soothing things for you!

Meg April 24, 2011 at 8:38 pm

You should try some Kombucha tea! My favorite is the ginger and it might help. Hope you feel better!

Andrea @ Vegvacious April 24, 2011 at 8:42 pm

You poor girl!!! Lucky that you have such a great ‘nurse’ :-)

Feel better soon.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 24, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Aww you poor thing :( Sending lots of speedy recovery vibes your way!

Gypsy April 24, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Angela – I think we’re flu sisters! I have the same symptoms. Also went to Urgent Care and they said no antibiotics but gave me nasonex so it wouldn’t evolve into a sinus infection.
This sore throat sure is hanging on though. Good excuse to eat some vegan ice cream :)
Hope we both feel better soon

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2011 at 8:34 am

I hope you feel better soon!

Suzanne Williams April 24, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Oregano Oil is amazing. Just make sure you take it an extra day or two after your symptoms die down. If I stop taking it right away, it seems the symptoms come back. Tastes gross, but helps. So glad I found your post. I’m new to the blog and twitter thing. Where is your store located? I live in Hamilton, but go to TO once in a while. Hope you feel better and very glad I found your blog.
Suzanne

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 26, 2011 at 11:54 am

I don’t have a physical location, but an online store here: http://www.globakery.com/Cart Hope this helps!

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) April 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Sorry to hear that you’re still under the weather… fingers crossed that you get well soon!

Colette April 24, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Sorry you’re still stick, glad it’s not strep and you went to check it out! Heal up! <3

staceyhealthylife April 24, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I’m sorry you’ve been sick for 4 weeks, blah. Hope it’s up hill from here.

Jennifer April 24, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Sending some get well Easter wishes your way. Hope your back on your feet soon!

kaila @ healthy helper! April 24, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Aww so sorry Ang…..being sick is the worst! I’ve been injured for the past month and haven’t been able to do much….so it’s basically been like being sick. But your immune seems to be kick butt, so I am sure you will get over the sickness quickly!

Christine April 24, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Being someone who just finished writing a paper on Homeopathy vs. Science, I can say with confidence that most of those remedies you bought have never been scientifically proven to work. But the placebo effect does exist! If you believe it’ll do the trick, you will definitely feel better.

Noelle April 24, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Oil of oregano is great for your cold and fllu! I looked it up to see if I could take it for mine whilst being pregnant and it was a big bad no-no! I was sad. Get better soon!

Sara April 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Oh no Angela! You WILL feel better, I promise! I got the 2 week flu and after a while I just thought I’d never feel better again, but I did! Hang in there!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2011 at 8:35 am

I am going to feel like a new girl when im better! lol

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 24, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I hope you feel better soon!

[email protected] Dishes Daily April 24, 2011 at 10:16 pm

That is always frustrating news. It’s hard to just sit back and wait for your body to fight back.

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner April 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm

2-4 WEEKS?? Oh my goodness! I hope you feel better soon!

Alaina April 24, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Hope you feel better soon!! Hope Eric made you something good to eat. :-)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) April 24, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I hope you are feeling better Angela!!!

Happy Easter to you and your family :-)

Cherie April 24, 2011 at 11:52 pm

That oil of oregano is good stuff! Tastes disgusting, but Very effective, maybe I should go get some myself.

Irina April 25, 2011 at 12:02 am

Get well soon! The best cure is the most natural one, so you’re on the right path!

I also suggest you purchase olive leaf extract. It has properties that are almost equivalent to a weak antibiotic (or so I heard) and can do wonders! And it’s all natural of course :) Look into it (aka Google it haha)!

-Irina

Emily April 25, 2011 at 1:01 am

Oh no :( I hope you feel better soon sweetie xx

Marina April 25, 2011 at 1:32 am

I’m sorry that you’re sick like that, I hope that you manage to fight that off! The attitute you’re having is surely helping that!

healthy amy April 25, 2011 at 2:27 am

Angela, sorry to hear you have flu :( i had it last November whilst i was holidaying in France and missed my 30th birthday as i slept right through! (so technically i am still 29!)

I really hope you get better soon, take care of yourself x

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2011 at 8:35 am

‘technically im still 29’ HAHA!! love that

Angie April 25, 2011 at 5:17 am

Ick, I have a horrible habit of getting sick on holidays! :( It’s never any fun. I’m so sorry! Though you definitely sound like you’re on the right – and healthy – track! Hang in there and feel better. :D

Also, Happy Easter/Happy Sunday (even if it’s Monday now!)

And finally, I found your blog via Kyla Roma. ^_^ It’s wonderful! I’m Angie and it’s nice to meet you. :D

Beth April 25, 2011 at 5:44 am

Oh yuck. I feel for you, hon. I was down with that nasty bug for 2 weeks solid, then gradually started to feel better. It was rough. Take it easy and get plenty of rest. I hope you bounce back quickly!

jenna April 25, 2011 at 7:14 am

i’m so sorry to hear you had such a lousy Easter weekend. Keep juicing it up!!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 25, 2011 at 7:14 am

oh no, I hope you feel better soon!

Char April 25, 2011 at 7:17 am

That’s a bummer that you had to miss Easter, but hopefully you feel better soon! :)

Lina April 25, 2011 at 7:45 am

Feel better Angela!!! It’s miserable, i know, i had “The Flu” for about 2 weeks with my 5 yr old son. Here’s your chance to take lots of cat naps…get some rest!

Mimi April 25, 2011 at 7:59 am

There’s nothing worse than being sick on a holiday. I hope you are feeling better soon!

Dalai Lina April 25, 2011 at 8:10 am

Man, you really have had a run with this lately, haven’t you? Darn…

Halley (Blunder Construction) April 25, 2011 at 8:17 am

Feel better, Angela! We need you back in the kitchen creating genius recipes… soup it up :)

[email protected] April 25, 2011 at 8:20 am

I had that flu and its the worst! The best thing to do is sleep as much as you can!!!!! And keep up with the rest of the stuff you’re doing, you really are a flu fighting machine!!

One of the worst things about that flu is that I lost my taste and smell for what seemed like 2 weeks :( I’m praying that doesnt happen to you!!! Rest up and hope you feel better soon!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 25, 2011 at 8:36 am

my taste buds and sense of smell are shot too!

Reka April 25, 2011 at 9:03 am

The dreaded Flu Monster got me too a couple of weeks ago. Not fun!!!!! The worse is def. not being able to taste the good-looking foods that you worked so hard on! I hope you’ll feel better soon. Detox bath!!! It really does wonders I’m telling ya!

kim April 25, 2011 at 9:05 am

I’m so sorry you are sick! I was thinking about when I started heavily green juicing, I had major flu-like symptoms and the throat pain I had was like nothing I had ever felt. Couldn’t go to work, andI never missed. If you read up on juicing/detoxing, it can have that effect. I’m not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I wanted to share that info with you. You, my dear are a Rock Star. As healthy as you were to begin with, you will no doubt come out on the other side stronger than ever before.

Lizzie April 25, 2011 at 9:24 am

Urgh – I had a similar illness several years ago (that time round it was referred to as the ‘Sydney flu’). I was down and out for 2-3 weeks and it did take a while after that for the crap in my lungs to disappear entirely. So I send healthy vibes to you and if you can (and I know I found this really tough), take advantage of this break, watch rubbish telly, noodle around in your PJ’s, dream up your next round of funky recipes, and rest – knowing that you’ll be out and about in no time. And at least it isn’t the middle of summer (that was the worst as a kid – no swimming in the pool for several days!) :)

Katherine: Unemployed April 25, 2011 at 9:46 am

your doctor has had it for 4 weeks!? what he is doing practicing!

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) April 25, 2011 at 10:02 am

Oh no! I hope you had a great Easter anyhow :)

Sonia April 25, 2011 at 10:18 am

sending well wishes and healthy thoughts to you!! I’m sure you’re going to kick this flu in it’s viral behind!

dawn April 25, 2011 at 11:18 am

Hi,
I hope you feel better soon. I love reading your blog everyday. I have been doing your green monster challenge for 30 days this month. Its been about 3 weeks. My kids get a kick out of the drink that is for sure. I had a pretty major surgery in January and it was recommended to me (not by my doctor but my therapist) to take Propolis – Resina Propoli – Bee Harvested tree Resin. It is a liquid herbal extract in a dropper glass bottle at the health food store. I bought it but never took it as I was on all kinds of medications and my doctor didn’t have a clue what is was. He was worried maybe it would interact with the medications I was taking. That being said people rave about this product. I just wanted to let you know about it in case it might help and you want to read about it. Feel good.

Amber K April 25, 2011 at 11:20 am

I wonder if that’s what I have! I don’t know, I’ve been sick for what seems like years and I can’t sleep even though I’ve been up for about three days. Yuck! Feel better soon :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm

A week and a half ago I got sick with EXACTLY what you have. I’m still coughing stuff up and waking up in the middle of the night with throat issues. It really stinks – I’m sorry you’re feeling under the weather!

Kris April 25, 2011 at 7:14 pm

“Pull the plug.”

LMAO :) You are so funny!

Gena April 26, 2011 at 8:16 am

Ohh, Ange! I’m so sorry that you’re so sick. Drink lots of fluids, sleep as much as you can, and I hope you are all better soon!