Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 22, 2011

I hope you are enjoying a day off today to begin the long weekend. :)

I can’t say I’m having a Good Friday so far. I’m not one to really make a fuss about aches and pains, but this cold is a nasty one! My sore throat is getting worse and worse and the pain shoots right up to my ears when I swallow. Ow. The voice is fading…the glands are sore. I hope it is not a throat infection. I might have to go to a walk-in clinic tomorrow if I don’t improve today.

The morning and nighttime hours have been the worst for my sore throat, with temporary relief in the afternoon. Yesterday, my pain improved a lot in the afternoon and I was actually able to work up an appetite for some solid food!

IMG_4791

Earlier this week, I thought it would be delicious to make a spin-off of two of my favourite quick & easy dinner recipes

15-Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta                               Creamy Tomato Barley Risotto

IMG_0200-3_thumb    IMG_7824

Using those two as my inspiration, I came up with a modified version of the Creamy Avocado Sauce and made it into a Barley risotto!

I cooked the pearled barley a couple days ago (when I intended to make this dish), but then I got sick so it had to wait. This dish came together in under 10 minutes when using pre-cooked barley! That made me even happier.

IMG_4792

IMG_4755

Already having the pearled barley cooked made this dish incredibly quick and easy. Perfect for a sick girl like me!

After processing your sauce ingredients, stir it into the cooked and drained barley.

IMG_4759

By the way, I was also able to reduce the oil in the original recipe from 2 tablespoons to just 1 teaspoon! I simply added some water to thin it out and I was quite happy with the outcome.

Heat on low-medium only until it is just heated through. You don’t want to heat this mixture for long due to the avocado.

IMG_4763

Serve immediately.

IMG_4768

I loved this dish! The chewy pearled barley was fantastic and it was super creamy and filling.

DISCLAIMER: My taste buds could be wonky right now so don’t blame me if you think this dish is horrible. ;)

IMG_4801

My brief stint of wellness soon came to an end in the early evening.

After I picked Eric up at the train station, we hit up the grocery store to stock up on some needed items for the long weekend. The grocery store was bumpin’ last night! I met a lovely blog reader named Emily and I tried not to scare her off with my raspy voice!

My ‘sickie’ loot:

IMG_4804

= Mandarins (so good), Echinacea tea, Lemon Echinacea Throat Coat tea, Natural Choice Full of Fruit Mango popsicles (should have bought two boxes), and organic frozen strawberries for Green Monsters. I’m also drinking fresh juice every morning and gargling with salt water a few times a day. Why am I not healed yet!?

I was back to a liquid dinner last night. All I wanted was something cold. And GREEN.

IMG_4807

And did this Green Monster ever taste like a dream. It was almost like a milkshake in consistency.

IMG_4809

The ‘healing’ GM Ingredients: 1.25 cups almond milk, 1 large handful organic baby spinach, 1 frozen banana, 1 handful frozen strawberries, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass wheat grass powder, 1/2 tbsp chia seeds.

I’m drooling at the thought of one for breakfast, so I think I am going to make one now. :) And then hopefully find a pharmacy that is open so I can get some more throat meds.

By the way, thank you for a great discussion in yesterday’s Lessons in Self-Love post! I love reading your comments. Red heart

You might also want to check out Mara’s auction for Pancreatic Cancer Research…I have some glo bars up for auction and there are many other fabulous things to bid on too!

Melanie @ Trial By Trail April 22, 2011 at 8:47 am

This Avocado dish looks delicious! I’ll have to try it this week! I’m sorry you’re feeling sick Angela. :( You’re feeding your body so well, hopefully you can kick this fast!

Danielle April 22, 2011 at 8:53 am

Get well soon! In the mean time, I’m sure your body appreciates the Green Monsters. I have one on the menu for my own lunch.

Chanelle April 22, 2011 at 8:54 am

Hey Angela, I had the same cold, throat, ears thing a few months ago and so did both of my kids. I feel your pain. Just try to rest if you can, I found that helped the most. I kept juicing and making smoothies too and I’m sure that helped. But this is one of those ones that seems to hang on a lot longer than your hope. Hopefully you feel great soon and have an excellent Easter.
I also love the new recipe, can’t wait to try it. I was thinking of trying the mushroom onion risotto this weekend as I have all the ingredents for that. I love the tomato one!

Happy Easter to you and Eric.

Chanelle

The Teenage Taste April 22, 2011 at 8:55 am

Mmmm…so this is like a barley version of your creamy avocado pasta? I just did a post about it on my blog. It was amazing! Can’t wait to try this one! :-D

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011 at 9:05 am

You got it :)

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 22, 2011 at 8:56 am

I’ve been wanting to try your creamy avocado pasta for a while, and this version looks even more delicious! Perfect for the springtime.

I hope you feel better! I’m sure lots of fresh fruits and veggies will help :)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food April 22, 2011 at 8:57 am

Any type of risotto dish is my absolute favorite! I can’t think of anything more perfect than this recipe! Feel better soon! :-)

Rebecca April 22, 2011 at 8:57 am

Mmmmm looks so good and so easy!!! I have pearl barley – is that the same thing as pot barley?
Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011 at 9:03 am

errrr yes I meant pearled barley!!!

Rebecca April 22, 2011 at 10:03 am

Perfect! I JUST bought a big bag of it! Though someone just told me that pearled barley isn’t as healthy? What are your thoughts on this ?
PS Attempting your coconut “detox macaroons” which are not only detox but kosher for passover – so thanks!
Bisous from Paris, Rebecca

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011 at 10:10 am

Pot barley has the endosperm left intact, along with the inner pearl of the kernel. While pearled barley is just the inner pearl. Pot barley is more nutritious due to the outer bran intact, but pearled barley is still quite nutritious though! And I found pot barley was hard for me to digest so pearled is a better option for me. :) Both taste great though and have a great texture!

Rebecca April 22, 2011 at 10:28 am

Très bien! Will stick with the pearl version then (it’s called orge perlé in french, doesn’t that just sound almost too pretty to eat ? :)
Anyway, get well soon. “An avocado a day keeps the doctor away…”

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011 at 12:26 pm

yes that is beautiful :)

Rebecca April 22, 2011 at 8:58 am

Oh and feel better!!! :)

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 22, 2011 at 8:59 am

Your sick and you STILL come up with amazing recipes!

I hope you are feeling better soon. Dagger soar throats are the worst ever!

Sarah April 22, 2011 at 9:04 am

Yum that risotto! You have such great recipes!

cailen April 22, 2011 at 9:07 am

TThat risotto looks delicious. I love the idea of using barley instead of rice…genius! And anything with avocado is good by me.

I’ve been following for a while now and your blog is fabulous! If you ever are in need of a guest poster, please keep me in mind. I’d be honored to write something for oh she glows.

Feel better!
Cailen
www.cailenascher.blogspot.com

brandi April 22, 2011 at 9:08 am

I hope you’re feeling better!!

And thanks for the reminder to try that avocado pasta – it’s on my list!

I love using barley and steel cut oats in risotto recipes. They’re so delicious and a nice spin from the regular rice.

Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc April 22, 2011 at 9:12 am

I hope that you get well soon. My sore throat has developed into a full-fledged cold, so I totally understand how you feel. Making some ginger tea might help:) Do gargle some salt water too! This risotto looks beautiful as usual!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011 at 10:11 am

I’ve been juicing with ginger and drinking ginger tea…love it! Lots of antibacterial qualities.

Heather (heathers dish) April 22, 2011 at 9:13 am

What a bummer that your throat is still hurting! I bet the creaminess would help a lot though, and barley is such a great grain!

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 22, 2011 at 9:14 am

Well I hope you feel better! I’m glad your appetite is coming back, and this avocado dish looks delicious! I love how the big blob of avocado sauce looks sitting on the barely. So cute!

Lizzie April 22, 2011 at 9:17 am

I meant to tell you that I tried the avocado pasta recipe earlier this week and it went over very well with my ‘now health loving’ husband. I really wasn’t sure how it would taste, but it was amazing! We also make the creamy tomato risotto once a week now (Usually more than the recipe amount, so I can take some for work later in the week), so I am definitely going to try this out!
Sorry to hear you’re still not feeling well. It’s tough this time of year with the seasonal transition. It’s never cold enough to kill off germs, but just warm enough that they want to hang around. I had a cold and then a throat thing, in the space of three weeks last month and know other people who have been down with dualies too :( Hope today brings a huge improvement!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011 at 10:11 am

Thanks Lizzie! Glad to hear that it was enjoyed as well as the tomato risotto. I might make that tonight!

Jessica @ Healthy Dairyland April 22, 2011 at 9:20 am

Oh my this is getting made for dinner. Yum!! That Throat Coat tea is my favorite tea when I’m sick. I swear, it’s a miracle worker!

Carly April 22, 2011 at 9:21 am

I LOVE avocados but I don’t know how I feel about the smoothite- I’m willing to take your word for it and try it out though! Great pics!! :)

Carly @ healthy-matters.com

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 22, 2011 at 9:30 am

Avocado barley risotto is genius! The next logical step- brilliant! I could go for a green monster right about now…

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) April 22, 2011 at 9:35 am

Sad to hear you’re not feeling well! Hopefully the green monster does its job :)
I’ve been having a green monster everyday for breakfast (around three months) and I haven’t been sick since!

JenATX April 22, 2011 at 9:38 am

you poor thing! i hope sketchie takes care of you :) & thanks for responding to my Blizzard email btw!

Halley (Blunder Construction) April 22, 2011 at 9:40 am

I loved your 15-minute creamy avocado recipe! It was such a smart idea, and fast too. Glad to see you are still using it :)

Elizabeth April 22, 2011 at 9:42 am

I’m sorry to hear you’re still not well. From past experience, I find that when I suffer a prolonged bout of back pain (like your sciatica) that a cold is not far off. Last year I was suffering from a very tight QL muscle and was in physio for most of the year and had colds every month. For the past 8 months I’ve been pain free and no colds. As a singer I can’t afford to have sore throats. One of my favourite preventatives/remedies is fresh ginger tea with 1/2 a lemon, a tsp natural sweetener (I’m not a complete vegan, so I use honey, but you could use agave) and a pinch of cayenne pepper. If I’m really in need of something medicinal I throw in a chopped clove of garlic as well.

Get well soon!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011 at 10:12 am

That is interesting! I also find that pains and illness tend to be linked. It throws the entire body off.
Your hot liquid sounds great. I love fresh ginger & lemon tea right now, but I might have to try yours too.

AGS April 23, 2011 at 8:48 am

That’s very similar the recipe I use to take away the “ache” of sore throats – but mine is just on a spoon though: mix — lemon juice, cayenne pepper (naturally numbs the pain), and honey (to bind/help coat the throat).

Sophia @ Raven Waves April 22, 2011 at 9:42 am

You always use avocado in such cool ways! Hope ya feel better soon!

Dan April 22, 2011 at 9:44 am

That shake looks awesome. Do you know of any other good shake recipes?

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 22, 2011 at 9:47 am

Sorry to hear that you’re still not feeling better!! Make sure to get lots of rest today!

Svetlana April 22, 2011 at 9:49 am

That recipe looks nice, flying home tonight so might try it! :)

I would go see a doctor if I were you about your soar throat…I had something similar two years ago and it gradually became worse, it could be an infection requiring antibiotics. Especially if you dont other cold symptoms together with the soar throat pains you are experiencing…I hope you get well soon! :)

Svetlana April 22, 2011 at 9:57 am

Sorry I meant to say especially if you dont have other symptoms associated normally with cold…

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011 at 10:13 am

Yea, I will see a doc tomorrow if it persists. I also have cold symptoms (sneezing, runny nose, etc), so hopefully it isn’t something more severe, but who knows! I used to be prone to strep when I was young.

Liz @ IHeartVegetables April 22, 2011 at 9:50 am

I’ve been trying to find something to do with all these avocados I’ve had lying around! This is perfect!

cathy April 22, 2011 at 9:55 am

oh, i hope you can rest up today and feel better by tomorrow, angela! terrible luck to be sick on a long weekend!
hope you have time to curl up on the couch with a cosy throw blanket and a cheesy chic flick…and mega-mugs of hot tea.
take care!!

Faith @ lovelyascharged April 22, 2011 at 10:01 am

Please keep these avocado recipes coming! I haven’t had enough avocado in my life lately and I need to address that void PRONTO!

Julie (A Case of the Runs) April 22, 2011 at 10:20 am

I’ve made that risotto recipe and will probably try this one with the barley I still have at home!

[email protected] April 22, 2011 at 10:33 am

I absolutely love that sore throat tea im sipping some right now and also drinking amazing grass haha perfect for when you’re sick… i’m not sure what the deal is but my throat has been killing me too, maybe the change in weather. Either way it is no fun, feel better soon :)

Ashley April 22, 2011 at 10:33 am

I just love the light green color of that barley dish!! The texture looks outstanding. :) Please feel better soon!!! xo

Moni'sMeals April 22, 2011 at 10:49 am

oh you poor thing, I send you a virtual hug and a big bowl of your fav soup. :) :)

You never get sick either. Hang in there. Hopefully by Easter you can be “bouncing” back!

Alaina April 22, 2011 at 10:55 am

I hope you feel better Angela!! Oranges always make me feel better too. :-)

Sonia April 22, 2011 at 10:55 am

Angela, I totally know how you feel. I got terribly sick last month. I had a horrible sore throat, lost my voice, high fevers and ended up with a respiratory infection that completely wiped me out from my 10k training. It took me 2.5 weeks to “recover”. I still get coughing fits (going back to doctor to see why).

If your illness is viral, there’s nothing really doctors can do (antibiotics won’t work and they don’t like giving them out for viruses). Just rest, keep up with the teas, monsters, orange juice and tons of EmergenC.

If it’s bacterial, then they will give you the proper medication. Good luck! I hope you get well soon!

Emily April 22, 2011 at 11:08 am

It was so great to meet you yesterday and you certainly did not scare me off, haha.
p.s. I made an adapted version of the no bake date squares, mine were apple cinnamon, Ohhhh wow! They were so good I almost ate the whole pan! Also have you ever tried vegan overnight SPELT flakes? Thats how I have mine (instead of the oatmeal) I find they are a better flavour and texture for my palate.

chelsea April 22, 2011 at 11:14 am

Yummy yummy!! I haven’t had a cold all winter/spring only the tummy flu so I am crossing my fingers I dont get it!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 22, 2011 at 11:21 am

I’m sorry you’re not feeling well :( Hope you get over your cold soon!!

Emily April 22, 2011 at 11:29 am

I’m fighting a sore throat too but definitely not as awful as yours! Feel better soon! And that avocado risotto looks amazingggg. :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 22, 2011 at 11:31 am

Sorry to hear you’re still sick! But your returning appetite is probably a good sign! Feel better soon. :)

Mama Pea April 22, 2011 at 11:38 am

Aww, feel better sweetie. And I think maybe you need to go to the doctor today. Just a mom speaking :)

Katherine: Unemployed April 22, 2011 at 11:39 am

I love the idea of putting avocado in with grains for a meal-base; feel better!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 22, 2011 at 11:41 am

Avocado tastes good in basically everything. And this looks great. I can’t wait to try it, but the GF version with rice or quinoa.

Char April 22, 2011 at 11:51 am

I hope the greens help you feel better. I honestly swear by pomegranates for keeping my in good health!! If you ever eat them, I’d say now is the time to overdose!

Stephanie April 22, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I was just thinking about your avocado pasta :) Haven’t made the post yet, but let me just say that this sauce lends itself well to pesto!

Amber K April 22, 2011 at 12:01 pm

That looks absolutely delicious!! I could make it with quinoa, yum. :)

Mel April 22, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Haha those are my two favourite recipes of yours! The easiest and extremely tasty, combined – yes please.

Andrea @ Vegvacious April 22, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Aw…being sick on a holiday long weekend stinks!! Surely all your teas, green smoothies and mandarins will quick in real soon. Feel Better!

Andrea @ Vegvacious April 22, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Hilary April 22, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Mmmm….that risotto is looking good. I love having pre-cooked grains on hand as a time saver! And feel better soon!

Kath April 22, 2011 at 12:39 pm

LOVE the photo with the sun shining on the vitamix!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011 at 4:05 pm

thanks! It’s glowing isn’t it? ;)

Stephanie April 22, 2011 at 12:54 pm

That looks SO good.
You should try oil of oregano and miso soup for your sore throat. And I hate to say it, but it sounds a bit like you might have strep throat. The last time I had strep it felt just like how you described it. I also had bronchitis and apparently there was water in my lungs or something. It hurt to breathe unless I was constantly drinking water, but I drank so much water that I was going to the bathroom every 15 minutes, so my hands were totally killed from all the hand washing. All in my pregan days, though.

Baking 'n' Books April 22, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Did you freeze the barley when you first cooked it? (you said you didn’t use it till yesterday).

I hope you feel better soon. What a crappy weekend to have that as well – Easter – or do you ever stop working?! :) Seriously…do you?…

Carolyn April 22, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I am so sorry you’re getting worse! I hope you feel better soon, Ange! *hugs*

Sarah Dean April 22, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Hey Angela! Honey is a natural antibiotic, a spoon full of honey is a great soother as well as could help get rid of any bacteria that may be looming!!:) Hope you feel better soon!!!

ellen April 22, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Feel better! i was sick last weekend (bad sinus and throat cold) and made your green monster with spinach, banana, and avocado for my sore throat (no ice). I even tossed it back in the freezer so i could eat it with a spoon and it was almost like ice cream! the only way i felt better was boiling a bowl of water and putting a towel over my head for a sinus steam. your sore throat might be from postal nasal drip so that might help. again, feel better!!!

I hope to try your latest avocado creation soon!

Marina April 22, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I hope you get well soon, and that it isn’t anything serious!
That barley risotto looks awesome! I love making that avocado sauce!

Sara April 22, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Gosh I hope you feel better soon. I have had a terrible cold/flu season so I sympathize! I bought some barley when you first posted the Creamy Tomato Barley Risotto so now I MUST use it!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 22, 2011 at 2:07 pm

oh avocado how i love you so… what a beautiful color! get well soon :(

Ruth April 22, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Mmmm this looks delicious! I haven’t had avocado in forever. The people that I usually cook with don’t care for them :(
I hope that you’re feeling better soon!

veganlisa April 22, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well Ange,
I hope the greens, ginger and rest do the trick.
It feels like mother nature has been under the weather lately too. But, I know very soon you’ll be feeling fantastic and the sun will be shining again.

xo

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Sorry you’re still feeling so sick! I was really sick for a couple weeks with a nasty cold. Preschoolers bring home germs and give them to their parents and then pass the whole thing back and forth….forever! It took awhile but we finally shook it….hope you do too!

The avocado in your recipe just looks like it would make everything so creamy and delish!

I hope you’re feeling better so that the Easter Bunny can come visit your house this weekend :)

[email protected] April 22, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I love anything creamy and avocadoy!! It looks so delish! I hope you feel better soon :) and those Popsicles look yummy :) feel better soon !

Megan (Braise The Roof) April 22, 2011 at 2:55 pm

If you happen to head back out, pick up some oregano oil and elderberry syrup! (you can find both in a vitamin store or the herbal remedies aisle at a place like Whole Foods) Elderberry is a powerful immunity booster and oregano is a natural anti-viral- I take both when I feel like I’m getting sick and it always curbs my cold!

Carmen April 22, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Thanks for sharing! Looks delicious! Coincidentally, I made your lovely Creamy Tomato Barley Risotto last night. It has become a fast favorite–my husband is seriously hooked. My husband sweetly requested that I add Lightlife tempeh “bacon” just to see how it would turn out. Well, it was lovely. Finely chopped tempeh “bacon” was an interesting mix-in and added a certain smokiness to the already dreamy dish. Love! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011 at 4:05 pm

mmm sounds fantastic!

bitt of raw April 22, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Hope you feel better soon! Rest and lots of tea will hopefully help.

Alexa @ Simple Eats April 22, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Hope you start to feel better soon! Your healthy eats and drinks seem like a good remedy to me!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn April 22, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Delicious! I hope this would work with quinoa?

Dalai Lina April 22, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Anything with avocado is delish, so your taste bud must be working right!

Baking Serendipity April 22, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Avocado seems like a perfect addition to risotto…how delicious! Hope you are feeling better soon :)

Pure2raw twins April 22, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I am feeling a little under the weather too (runny nose, sore throat) sending “healing” vibes your way!

kaila @ healthy helper! April 22, 2011 at 5:59 pm

The creamy tomato barley risotto is one of my favorite recipes on your site! I am so happy you made a spin off…..this way I can make it twice in one week! YUM!

Roz April 22, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Hope you feel better soon!!!!!

Colette April 22, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Angela – I’ve had strep throat for 2 weeks now. It’s taken two different antibiotics to finally rid myself of this nasty infection. Sounds like we’re alike and I didn’t go to the dr. right away, but now wish I would have. Please take care of yourself! Much love, Colette

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 22, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Oh gosh, I <3 your avocado pasta, so I can only imagine how delicious this is! Any ideas on a gluten free grain to use?

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 22, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Aww I’m sorry to hear you’re still feeling ill Ange! I hope you get a chance to take a good rest this weekend and let yourself get better. I’m starting to feel a little bit sniffly (if that’s even a word) and am going to pump in vitamin c like nobody’s business to keep myself healthy. The green smoothie you had sounds great. I usually start every day with one but unfortunately since I’m visiting the rellies this weekend I don’t have my usual ingredients or Cuisinart to whip one up. :( Anyways, feel better soon and I hope you enjoy the long weekend! :)

naidre April 22, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I had the same virus/cold two weeks ago. It is miserable. What REALLY worked was lots of sleep and mega-dosing Vit C with Zinc. They work synergistically and will stop dead whatever it is. Also, astragalus. And grapefruit seed extract.
Godspeed.

Tahina April 22, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Eat some vegemite on toast with avacado! seriously fixes a sore throat every time :)

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts April 22, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I hope you feel better soon :( Not fun at all being sick over a long weekend holiday! (Or at any time really, but especially then.)

Olya April 23, 2011 at 3:13 am

“When you’re coming down with a cold, all you can do is batten down the hatches and wait for the body to fight it off!” I don’t think you can rush your body to heal. It needs time to do such a great job it is doing. Keep yourself warm and take a good care. Hope you’ll feel better soon!

Jackie April 23, 2011 at 3:16 am

There are some nasty bugs going around. I think it might be time to get some anti-biotics if it’s not better tomorrow. One of my kids was sick for a week, within 12 hours of anti-biotics she was a new person. Sending you healing thoughts.

Sasha April 23, 2011 at 3:46 am

Ayurveda classifies food and fruits into different types : cold-inducing, heat-inducing etc.,
Based on that, my dad (an avid Ayurveda follower) always forbade us from eating bananas, guavas etc., when we had a cold. Apparently it can make it worse.

He would make us drink hot decoctions of ginger/garlic/black-pepper with jaggery (kind of sucanat) and milk. You can google for herbal home remedies for cold.
Hope that helps.

Embodying Freedom April 23, 2011 at 7:36 am

So awful about you being sick! I’m surprised you don’t have an iron immune system with how healthily you eat! It happens to everyone then I guess :)
Feel better soon! Also I’m curious…what are walk-in clinics like in Canada? Do you have to wait very long? I always have to wait like 30 minutes at our clinics!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 23, 2011 at 8:04 am

I’m so sorry to hear you feel like garbage! I absolutely hate getting sick. I hope you feel better soon :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 23, 2011 at 9:51 am

I have been wanting to make your Avocado Cream Spaghetti! I love that you used Barley with this! :D

Lenna April 23, 2011 at 12:21 pm

The risotto looks awesome! I think I´ll give it a try tomorrow. I hope you feel healthy soon!

Ritika April 23, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I just tried your creamy tomato barley risotto last night and it was DELICIOUS. It was the first time I made *and* tasted barley and I am hooked! It was so easy to make. I used fire-roasted tomatoes and they made the dish so flavorful. I also had miso for the first time! Thank for you inspiring me, Angela. I hope you feel better soon and have a wonderful weekend. :)

Paulina (One Smile Ahead) April 23, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Get well soon! I wasn’t feeling so well a couple of days ago too, but drinking hot green tea did the trick for me. I could use a Green Monster as well though. My body needs some strengthening. Vitamins are the best! Take a good rest :]

Molly @ RDexposed April 23, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I like the way your think! This needs to go on my To Cook List!

Kristy H April 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Hope you get better soon, sounds like you have all the right remedies happening. Thanks for this recipe, i have barley in the cupboard to use up and just bought avacados and lemons a couple of days ago, i know what im having for lunch. Happy Easter!

[email protected] April 23, 2011 at 5:35 pm

May you get better really soon and take it as a sign to rest! ;)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 23, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Hope you feel better soon! Take care xx

{{well in l.a.}} April 23, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Take care and feel better soon! Going to experiment with the avocado & lemon recipe. My farm box has been brimming with both items the last few weeks! Have a wonderful weekend! -erin

melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day April 23, 2011 at 7:17 pm

i hope you feel better!

marla April 23, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Take care of yourself girl :) That risotto looks amazing. Love the avocado & that you were able to reduce the oil too. xo

Angel7 April 23, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I hope you are feeling better!

That Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto looks amazing, and oh, so yummy!!! I love, love, love avocados!

Happy Easter!

[email protected] Dishes Daily April 24, 2011 at 2:23 am

That looks so tasty. That is a great idea to use avocado.

France @beyondthepeel April 24, 2011 at 4:16 am

I love avocado Barley risotto. I don’t blend any of the avocado and gently toss it in just in cubes at the end with some fresh arugula and it’s amazing. I like to finish mine by drizzling a chipotle lemon oil at the end ( a trick I stole from someone such while back that I can’t even remember who anymore). Lately I’ve been doing it with bulgur and leeks in addition to the avocado and lemon and we’re pretty happy with the results. I am excited to try it your way and compare!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2011 at 7:11 am

mm that sounds great!

McKayla (green groats) April 24, 2011 at 8:46 am

I CAN’T WAIT to try this recipe. Sounds like an amazing combo. I’ve been meaning to use up some of my barley to make some sort of risotto! Thanks for reminding me…

Shah'ada April 24, 2011 at 9:24 am

made this last night for my avocado loving boyfriend – he was in HEAVEN!!!!! chewy and filling for sure :) as always, thank you for all your amazing vegan recipes!

Suzanne Williams April 24, 2011 at 10:28 am

Can’t wait to try this. Love avocado! Thanks for this blog. I just found it and will be returning. Very helpful!
Suzanne

[email protected] April 24, 2011 at 10:59 am

omg that risotto looks amazing!!!!!!

[email protected] April 24, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Feel better!!!! Gargling with salt water really helps with a sore throat :)

That risotto looks so good!! I’m definitely going to flag this as a must make recipe!

Hope you feel better and have a Happy Easter!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather April 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm

The avocado looks so summer like! Another perfect meal. Hope you feel better soon girl!

Melanie April 24, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I actually just made your pasta version of this and wow! I’ve never had avocado before so I wasn’t sure if I’d like it but it’s really yummy. My mom loves it too. :) Thanks and I hope you start feeling better soon.

Sarah April 27, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Thanks so much for the recipe! I just made this after I got home from school (I was starving) and It definitely made me feel amazing! So refreshing!

Carol Wong May 18, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I totally made this! Well, almost. See, instead of the barley I made a burrito.

Charlotte August 26, 2012 at 6:52 am

How many servings would this make, approximately?

Em September 19, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Awesome. I “roasted” the garlic by microwaving 20 sec to cut the strong taste. Used Dorat frozen chopped basil cubes n poured over spaghetti squash. So yummy! I added the avo cream to individual servings so I could reheat. Avo cream c be stored like guacamole– in the smallest possible container n covered w Saran wrap to prevent oxidation. Put the wrap directly on the to of the sauce so there is no air. Or try a Baggie with all the air squeezed out.

Melissa November 14, 2012 at 11:46 am

OMG thank you for that tip! I’m gonna have to try that since I make the recipe for just myself, my toddler doesn’t like it so I end up wasting most of the sauce when I make creamy avocado pasta. (I find it makes enough for 4 servings, so I end up wasting 3/4 of it)

Melissa November 14, 2012 at 11:44 am

This looks AMAZING! I have tried the creamy avocado pasta a few times now and I’m hooked! I’m making it probably tomorrow, just stocked up on some avocados! I will try this recipe soon, although I’ll have to sub rice because I have to be gluten free.
I was trying to come up with a healthy salad dressing recently…and I thought of the creamy avocado pasta. I’m wondering if that sauce (maybe thinned out a tiny bit with more evoo or water) would work over salad. Hmmm….gonna have to try that soon!

Jessa November 22, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I’m eating this dish right now. Yum! I substituted sesame oil for the olive oil to give it an extra kick of flavor. I’ve never eaten pearled barley before but I was able to pick some up at Trader Joe’s. One cup made a lot of barley! Thanks for having recipes so simple even I couldn’t mess them up.

Danielle June 17, 2015 at 9:07 pm

This looks delicious. I’m home on maternity leave and have finally had a chance to try your amazing recipes. My husband and 2 yr old love your creamy tomato barley risotto and, of course, your one-bowl double chocolate chunk cookies. Just curious if this would be good cold in the summer? Thank you so much if you get the chance to reply!!

Barbara November 26, 2015 at 9:01 pm

The plant based diet, re forks over knives, and Esselstyn include no oils., Esselstyn includes no avocados. How do you relate to this, no oil, plan?

Barbara November 26, 2015 at 10:27 pm