Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

I hope you are enjoying a day off today to begin the long weekend. :)

I can’t say I’m having a Good Friday so far. I’m not one to really make a fuss about aches and pains, but this cold is a nasty one! My sore throat is getting worse and worse and the pain shoots right up to my ears when I swallow. Ow. The voice is fading…the glands are sore. I hope it is not a throat infection. I might have to go to a walk-in clinic tomorrow if I don’t improve today.

The morning and nighttime hours have been the worst for my sore throat, with temporary relief in the afternoon. Yesterday, my pain improved a lot in the afternoon and I was actually able to work up an appetite for some solid food!

IMG 4791   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

Earlier this week, I thought it would be delicious to make a spin-off of two of my favourite quick & easy dinner recipes-

15-Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta                               Creamy Tomato Barley Risotto

IMG 0200 3 thumb   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto    IMG 7824   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

Using those two as my inspiration, I came up with a modified version of the Creamy Avocado Sauce and made it into a Barley risotto!

I cooked the pearled barley a couple days ago (when I intended to make this dish), but then I got sick so it had to wait. This dish came together in under 10 minutes when using pre-cooked barley! That made me even happier.

IMG 4792   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

IMG 4755   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

Already having the pearled barley cooked made this dish incredibly quick and easy. Perfect for a sick girl like me!

After processing your sauce ingredients, stir it into the cooked and drained barley.

IMG 4759   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

By the way, I was also able to reduce the oil in the original recipe from 2 tablespoons to just 1 teaspoon! I simply added some water to thin it out and I was quite happy with the outcome.

Heat on low-medium only until it is just heated through. You don’t want to heat this mixture for long due to the avocado.

IMG 4763   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

Serve immediately.

IMG 4768   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

I loved this dish! The chewy pearled barley was fantastic and it was super creamy and filling.

DISCLAIMER: My taste buds could be wonky right now so don’t blame me if you think this dish is horrible. ;)

IMG 4801   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

My brief stint of wellness soon came to an end in the early evening.

After I picked Eric up at the train station, we hit up the grocery store to stock up on some needed items for the long weekend. The grocery store was bumpin’ last night! I met a lovely blog reader named Emily and I tried not to scare her off with my raspy voice!

My ‘sickie’ loot:

IMG 4804   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

= Mandarins (so good), Echinacea tea, Lemon Echinacea Throat Coat tea, Natural Choice Full of Fruit Mango popsicles (should have bought two boxes), and organic frozen strawberries for Green Monsters. I’m also drinking fresh juice every morning and gargling with salt water a few times a day. Why am I not healed yet!?

I was back to a liquid dinner last night. All I wanted was something cold. And GREEN.

IMG 4807   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

And did this Green Monster ever taste like a dream. It was almost like a milkshake in consistency.

IMG 4809   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

The ‘healing’ GM Ingredients: 1.25 cups almond milk, 1 large handful organic baby spinach, 1 frozen banana, 1 handful frozen strawberries, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass wheat grass powder, 1/2 tbsp chia seeds.

I’m drooling at the thought of one for breakfast, so I think I am going to make one now. :) And then hopefully find a pharmacy that is open so I can get some more throat meds.

By the way, thank you for a great discussion in yesterday’s Lessons in Self-Love post! I love reading your comments. wlEmoticon redheart1   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

You might also want to check out Mara’s auction for Pancreatic Cancer Research…I have some glo bars up for auction and there are many other fabulous things to bid on too!

Melanie @ Trial By Trail April 22, 2011

This Avocado dish looks delicious! I’ll have to try it this week! I’m sorry you’re feeling sick Angela. :( You’re feeding your body so well, hopefully you can kick this fast!

Danielle April 22, 2011

Get well soon! In the mean time, I’m sure your body appreciates the Green Monsters. I have one on the menu for my own lunch.

Chanelle April 22, 2011

Hey Angela, I had the same cold, throat, ears thing a few months ago and so did both of my kids. I feel your pain. Just try to rest if you can, I found that helped the most. I kept juicing and making smoothies too and I’m sure that helped. But this is one of those ones that seems to hang on a lot longer than your hope. Hopefully you feel great soon and have an excellent Easter.
I also love the new recipe, can’t wait to try it. I was thinking of trying the mushroom onion risotto this weekend as I have all the ingredents for that. I love the tomato one!

Happy Easter to you and Eric.

Chanelle

The Teenage Taste April 22, 2011

Mmmm…so this is like a barley version of your creamy avocado pasta? I just did a post about it on my blog. It was amazing! Can’t wait to try this one! :-D

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011

You got it :)

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 22, 2011

I’ve been wanting to try your creamy avocado pasta for a while, and this version looks even more delicious! Perfect for the springtime.

I hope you feel better! I’m sure lots of fresh fruits and veggies will help :)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food April 22, 2011

Any type of risotto dish is my absolute favorite! I can’t think of anything more perfect than this recipe! Feel better soon! :-)

Rebecca April 22, 2011

Mmmmm looks so good and so easy!!! I have pearl barley – is that the same thing as pot barley?
Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011

errrr yes I meant pearled barley!!!

Rebecca April 22, 2011

Perfect! I JUST bought a big bag of it! Though someone just told me that pearled barley isn’t as healthy? What are your thoughts on this ?
PS Attempting your coconut “detox macaroons” which are not only detox but kosher for passover – so thanks!
Bisous from Paris, Rebecca

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011

Pot barley has the endosperm left intact, along with the inner pearl of the kernel. While pearled barley is just the inner pearl. Pot barley is more nutritious due to the outer bran intact, but pearled barley is still quite nutritious though! And I found pot barley was hard for me to digest so pearled is a better option for me. :) Both taste great though and have a great texture!

Rebecca April 22, 2011

Très bien! Will stick with the pearl version then (it’s called orge perlé in french, doesn’t that just sound almost too pretty to eat ? :)
Anyway, get well soon. “An avocado a day keeps the doctor away…”

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011

yes that is beautiful :)

Rebecca April 22, 2011

Oh and feel better!!! :)

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 22, 2011

Your sick and you STILL come up with amazing recipes!

I hope you are feeling better soon. Dagger soar throats are the worst ever!

Sarah April 22, 2011

Yum that risotto! You have such great recipes!

cailen April 22, 2011

TThat risotto looks delicious. I love the idea of using barley instead of rice…genius! And anything with avocado is good by me.

I’ve been following for a while now and your blog is fabulous! If you ever are in need of a guest poster, please keep me in mind. I’d be honored to write something for oh she glows.

Feel better!
Cailen

brandi April 22, 2011

I hope you’re feeling better!!

And thanks for the reminder to try that avocado pasta – it’s on my list!

I love using barley and steel cut oats in risotto recipes. They’re so delicious and a nice spin from the regular rice.

Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc April 22, 2011

I hope that you get well soon. My sore throat has developed into a full-fledged cold, so I totally understand how you feel. Making some ginger tea might help:) Do gargle some salt water too! This risotto looks beautiful as usual!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011

I’ve been juicing with ginger and drinking ginger tea…love it! Lots of antibacterial qualities.

Heather (heathers dish) April 22, 2011

What a bummer that your throat is still hurting! I bet the creaminess would help a lot though, and barley is such a great grain!

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 22, 2011

Well I hope you feel better! I’m glad your appetite is coming back, and this avocado dish looks delicious! I love how the big blob of avocado sauce looks sitting on the barely. So cute!

Lizzie April 22, 2011

I meant to tell you that I tried the avocado pasta recipe earlier this week and it went over very well with my ‘now health loving’ husband. I really wasn’t sure how it would taste, but it was amazing! We also make the creamy tomato risotto once a week now (Usually more than the recipe amount, so I can take some for work later in the week), so I am definitely going to try this out!
Sorry to hear you’re still not feeling well. It’s tough this time of year with the seasonal transition. It’s never cold enough to kill off germs, but just warm enough that they want to hang around. I had a cold and then a throat thing, in the space of three weeks last month and know other people who have been down with dualies too :( Hope today brings a huge improvement!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011

Thanks Lizzie! Glad to hear that it was enjoyed as well as the tomato risotto. I might make that tonight!

Jessica @ Healthy Dairyland April 22, 2011

Oh my this is getting made for dinner. Yum!! That Throat Coat tea is my favorite tea when I’m sick. I swear, it’s a miracle worker!

Carly April 22, 2011

I LOVE avocados but I don’t know how I feel about the smoothite- I’m willing to take your word for it and try it out though! Great pics!! :)

Carly @ healthy-matters.com

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 22, 2011

Avocado barley risotto is genius! The next logical step- brilliant! I could go for a green monster right about now…

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) April 22, 2011

Sad to hear you’re not feeling well! Hopefully the green monster does its job :)
I’ve been having a green monster everyday for breakfast (around three months) and I haven’t been sick since!

JenATX April 22, 2011

you poor thing! i hope sketchie takes care of you :) & thanks for responding to my Blizzard email btw!

Halley (Blunder Construction) April 22, 2011

I loved your 15-minute creamy avocado recipe! It was such a smart idea, and fast too. Glad to see you are still using it :)

Elizabeth April 22, 2011

I’m sorry to hear you’re still not well. From past experience, I find that when I suffer a prolonged bout of back pain (like your sciatica) that a cold is not far off. Last year I was suffering from a very tight QL muscle and was in physio for most of the year and had colds every month. For the past 8 months I’ve been pain free and no colds. As a singer I can’t afford to have sore throats. One of my favourite preventatives/remedies is fresh ginger tea with 1/2 a lemon, a tsp natural sweetener (I’m not a complete vegan, so I use honey, but you could use agave) and a pinch of cayenne pepper. If I’m really in need of something medicinal I throw in a chopped clove of garlic as well.

Get well soon!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011

That is interesting! I also find that pains and illness tend to be linked. It throws the entire body off.
Your hot liquid sounds great. I love fresh ginger & lemon tea right now, but I might have to try yours too.

AGS April 23, 2011

That’s very similar the recipe I use to take away the “ache” of sore throats – but mine is just on a spoon though: mix — lemon juice, cayenne pepper (naturally numbs the pain), and honey (to bind/help coat the throat).

Sophia @ Raven Waves April 22, 2011

You always use avocado in such cool ways! Hope ya feel better soon!

Dan April 22, 2011

That shake looks awesome. Do you know of any other good shake recipes?

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 22, 2011

Sorry to hear that you’re still not feeling better!! Make sure to get lots of rest today!

Svetlana April 22, 2011

That recipe looks nice, flying home tonight so might try it! :)

I would go see a doctor if I were you about your soar throat…I had something similar two years ago and it gradually became worse, it could be an infection requiring antibiotics. Especially if you dont other cold symptoms together with the soar throat pains you are experiencing…I hope you get well soon! :)

Svetlana April 22, 2011

Sorry I meant to say especially if you dont have other symptoms associated normally with cold…

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2011

Yea, I will see a doc tomorrow if it persists. I also have cold symptoms (sneezing, runny nose, etc), so hopefully it isn’t something more severe, but who knows! I used to be prone to strep when I was young.

Liz @ IHeartVegetables April 22, 2011

I’ve been trying to find something to do with all these avocados I’ve had lying around! This is perfect!

cathy April 22, 2011

oh, i hope you can rest up today and feel better by tomorrow, angela! terrible luck to be sick on a long weekend!
hope you have time to curl up on the couch with a cosy throw blanket and a cheesy chic flick…and mega-mugs of hot tea.
take care!!

Faith @ lovelyascharged April 22, 2011

Please keep these avocado recipes coming! I haven’t had enough avocado in my life lately and I need to address that void PRONTO!

Julie (A Case of the Runs) April 22, 2011

I’ve made that risotto recipe and will probably try this one with the barley I still have at home!

kate@ahealthypassion April 22, 2011

I absolutely love that sore throat tea im sipping some right now and also drinking amazing grass haha perfect for when you’re sick… i’m not sure what the deal is but my throat has been killing me too, maybe the change in weather. Either way it is no fun, feel better soon :)

Ashley April 22, 2011

I just love the light green color of that barley dish!! The texture looks outstanding. :) Please feel better soon!!! xo

Moni'sMeals April 22, 2011

oh you poor thing, I send you a virtual hug and a big bowl of your fav soup. :) :)

You never get sick either. Hang in there. Hopefully by Easter you can be “bouncing” back!

Alaina April 22, 2011

I hope you feel better Angela!! Oranges always make me feel better too. :-)

Sonia April 22, 2011

Angela, I totally know how you feel. I got terribly sick last month. I had a horrible sore throat, lost my voice, high fevers and ended up with a respiratory infection that completely wiped me out from my 10k training. It took me 2.5 weeks to “recover”. I still get coughing fits (going back to doctor to see why).

If your illness is viral, there’s nothing really doctors can do (antibiotics won’t work and they don’t like giving them out for viruses). Just rest, keep up with the teas, monsters, orange juice and tons of EmergenC.

If it’s bacterial, then they will give you the proper medication. Good luck! I hope you get well soon!

Emily April 22, 2011

It was so great to meet you yesterday and you certainly did not scare me off, haha.
p.s. I made an adapted version of the no bake date squares, mine were apple cinnamon, Ohhhh wow! They were so good I almost ate the whole pan! Also have you ever tried vegan overnight SPELT flakes? Thats how I have mine (instead of the oatmeal) I find they are a better flavour and texture for my palate.

chelsea April 22, 2011

Yummy yummy!! I haven’t had a cold all winter/spring only the tummy flu so I am crossing my fingers I dont get it!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 22, 2011

I’m sorry you’re not feeling well :( Hope you get over your cold soon!!

Emily April 22, 2011

I’m fighting a sore throat too but definitely not as awful as yours! Feel better soon! And that avocado risotto looks amazingggg. :)

Page 1 of 3123»