Giant Upside Down Apple Pancake

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 14, 2011

IMG_4398

There are 4 words I never thought I would hear in the same sentence:

‘Thirty Thousand’

and

‘Deck quote’

We had a decking company do a quote on our deck because we wanted a professional’s opinion on whether we should replace the 25 year old deck beams. We were also just curious what kind of quote they would give us to replace the deck!

‘We quoted your deck install at roughly thirty thousand.’

This is the moment where you laugh nervously like a crazy person.

‘Hahah, I think the phone line is cutting out because I thought you said THIRTY thousand!!’

‘It is thirty thousand. THREE. ZERO.’

Awkward.

We want to replace our old deck, but we don’t want to have to sell the house and live under it! Silly people. We had a second quote at 30k too. #fail. We also found out that we have to replace the beams because they are rotting!

It looks like we will be doing it DIY style like we always do. Nothing like a decking company to get your head out of the clouds! lol.

However, I baked something that was so good it made me forget all about the deck stuff. Food is wonderful like that. Sometimes, it’s so good it induces you into a food coma and you are just sitting there at the table in your own blissful trance oblivious to the world around you.

This was one of those moments.

IMG_4424

IMG_4434

There are also three words I never thought I would hear in reference to food:

‘Upside Down’

and

‘Pancake’

But, am I ever glad I did!

IMG_4426

I first saw Ricki’s recipe for an upside down pancake over a YEAR and a half ago and I have been dying to make it ever since. I have no idea why it took me so long!

I made a few changes to Ricki’s original recipe, and I was almost certain it would be a flop, but it was nothing of the sort!

Changes I made to original recipe:

1) I used 1/3 cup of mashed banana instead of the 1/3 cup of cashew butter (I wanted to keep the calories lower while increasing the serving size).

2) I omitted the almond extract.

3) Instead of using brown rice flour, coconut flour, and oat flour, I used 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp raw buckwheat flour made from processed buckwheat groats inspired by Ashley’s Buckwheat bakes! I would imagine that many different flours might work. I would suggest using oat flour (made from processed rolled oats) if you don’t use buckwheat.

4) I cut baking powder down to 2 tsp.

I was going to use my tart pan, but I was worried that it would leak through the bottom, so I used a spring form cakepan instead (I think it was 10 inch).

Here are the beautiful apple slices coated with cinnamon and Sucanat (or you can use brown sugar):

IMG_4387

After baking, cooling, and flipping, peel back the parchment layer to reveal the gooey apple layer!

IMG_4388

A Gorgeous and Giant pancake!! The pancake is about 10 inches in diametre and 1/2-3/4 inch thick.

IMG_4410

It tastes amazing on its own and I loved eating it plain, but this strawberry jam took it over the top.

IMG_4423

This morning I had some fresh juice, Japanese Sencha, and 1.5 slices of the giant pancake. I just ate the pancake cold straight from the fridge and I loved every bite.

IMG_4292-2

In the juice: 2-3 carrots, 1/2 grapefruit, 1 lemon, 2 beets, 1/2 cucumber.

The banana and applesauce work wonderfully to replace oil in this pancake. It was not the least bit dry, and I found that I didn’t need any maple syrup on top thanks to the gooey apple topping. :)

IMG_4431

Two GIANT thumbs up!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 14, 2011 at 8:51 am

30,000$? Wowzers! I can imagine how awkward that would be. No thank you.. I think I’d rather try and make my own deck (which would promptly fall apart if anyone ever tried to use it!)

This Upside-Down Pancake looks delcious. Sunday morning breakfast I believe! (since I don’t have enough time to do it during the week :( )

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe April 14, 2011 at 8:51 am

HA! That decking company has lost their minds! The apple pancake looks heavenly though.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 14, 2011 at 8:52 am

This sounds so delicious! The only upside-down cakes (not pancakes) I recall seeing are pineapple ones, and I’ve never made one, but this version with apples sounds amazing! And OMG about the deck.. I saw your tweets yesterday and decided that it’s probably a good idea (for future planning of my future home) not to build one if I’m planning to have any money left over to, you know…. feed myself upside down apple pancakes. ;)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 14, 2011 at 8:55 am

30K for a new deck?!! That’s insane! This Upside Down Pancake looks incredible!! Definitely need to try this.

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo April 14, 2011 at 8:59 am

Yum! This reminds me of an apple cinnamon waffle I used to get at a restaurant back home. The apples were baked in this caramely sauce that, surprisingly, wasn’t too sweet. It was like heaven!

Freya April 14, 2011 at 9:01 am

Good gracious! First – at the quote! Holyheck, 30k!??? That’s mad! I think doing it yourself is the right thing…secondly, holyheck at that pancake! Wow :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 14, 2011 at 9:02 am

Whoa, $30k is crazy. I hope it would wrap around your house and into outer space for that much! Construction is so expensive. Thankfully you can DIY. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011 at 9:07 am

hahah me too!! and the railing should be made of gold. ;)

Gen April 14, 2011 at 9:02 am

That deck quote is ridiculous!!!
But the pancake looks so, so amazing! :D

Ashley April 14, 2011 at 9:04 am

HAhahahaa…30,000??? I’m laughing at the decking company, not you! I would suggest a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th + opinion when it comes to quotes. You wouldn’t believe how big of a difference some companies quote things, even for small plumbing + electrical things. Our window quotes were crazy. It was like $7,000, $5,000 and $2,000, for practically the same windows! Plumbing varied from like $650 to 1,300. So crazy! I’m sure you guys will do fine on your own though. Breakfast looks amazing, and right up my alley. You know I’ll be making this soon. Just need that oven-thing. ;) Thanks for the buckwheat shout out! Woop! It’s pretty crazy how many people are starting to buy buckwheat + grind it into flour for breakfast. So fun!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011 at 9:08 am

we got another quote last night that that was 30k too. Getting two more tonight but I expect them to be roughly the same as well. Regardless it is still WAY out of our price range even if it was 10k less! lol. Pipe dreams. ahhh. DIY is where it’s at! ;)

Ricki April 14, 2011 at 9:04 am

That quote really is insane! But you two are so handy at home, you could really do it yourselves. . . if you’re into that kind of thing. ;)

so glad you liked the pancake! I’d love to try it with banana–as soon as I can eat banana again, of course!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious April 14, 2011 at 9:06 am

Wow! That quote is crazy ~ I would have fallen over in my chair LOL!!
I have been loving pancakes lately! Yours looks great ~ I love putting a twist on a classic fave like pancakes!

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner April 14, 2011 at 9:07 am

This is great! The thing I hate about making pancakes is how long it takes (I don’t have a very big pan so I have to do them 2 at a time). This would be so easy to throw in the oven and everyone could have their pancakes at once!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011 at 9:08 am

that’s a great idea!

Amber K April 14, 2011 at 9:11 am

I find that using banana or applesauce in place of oil only makes baked goods MORE moist. I first started doing it to save calories and then found out I thought the taste and texture of the resulting baked goods was phenomenal! These look fantastic.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011 at 10:58 am

yes I would have to agree!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) April 14, 2011 at 9:14 am

AAAH this looks SO DELICIOUS!! A giant pancake?! Sounds so YUMMY!! I bet I would end up eating all of it though! ;)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 14, 2011 at 9:16 am

The upside down pancake looks fabulous! $30k for a deck, not so fabulous!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 14, 2011 at 9:16 am

The upside down pancake looks fabulous! $30k for a deck, not so fabulous!

Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life April 14, 2011 at 9:17 am

30,000!! holy cow!! When we diy’ed our deck 2 years ago, Home Depot was an amazing help. We took our measurements, and they had a computer at the store that would plot out how you wanted it designed, and then print you off a shopping list of what you need for it. It was great!

These pancakes look so yummy, it’s making me wish I had apples at home so I could make them right now!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 14, 2011 at 9:19 am

HO MAH GOSH!! now this is the coolest and tastiest thing ever! I would definitely polish the whole thing off!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf April 14, 2011 at 9:23 am

Oh yum, Angela! This sounds like something that would be PERFECT for the fall! I need to add this to my ever-growing list of recipes to try! :)

ellen April 14, 2011 at 9:24 am

decks are expensive b/c the materials are expensive. $30k sounds scary though. we replaced one at our last condo – you’ll be amazed at how many screws you’ll need. good luck! would be wrong to run another raffle for glo bars to support the deck project??! hahaha..

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011 at 10:57 am

yes the materials are very costly! However Eric priced everything out, and it is about $5000-6000, which is a far far cry from 30k. Eek

Olya April 14, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Oh. Even $5000-6000 is a huge expense for a young family. Don’t you wish things lasted longer and didn’t need to be replaced? :)

Charlie April 14, 2011 at 9:25 am

30 000$ for a deck! I’d just sit on the grass lol :P.
Upside down pancake sounds much better! Yum! Great idea to use a spring from a cakepan!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 14, 2011 at 9:28 am

30k??? I would cry.

Shanna, Like Banana April 14, 2011 at 9:28 am

$30K for a deck!!! I bet you could get a set of bloggers to come help you for a tenth of that..haha.

At least you have delicious pancakes!

Tosca (Baking me Happy) April 14, 2011 at 9:30 am

oooooh, that looks sooooooo good
Good lunchbox idea :)
(and breakfast for me)

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 14, 2011 at 9:35 am

I loved your response “I think the phone line is cutting out, hahaha” — I would have said the same thing. Or I would have cried.

The pancake looks amazing — and huge!

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 14, 2011 at 9:36 am

I love baked apple pancakes. BUT I never thought I could make them myself. I will definitely be trying this recipe :-)

[email protected] April 14, 2011 at 9:38 am

That pancake looks amazing I have never had upside down anything so I think this is a good place to start. Im off to juice your juice looks delicious seriously grapefruit in juice is the best thing ever I love it!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 14, 2011 at 9:38 am

WOW, that’s CRAZY about the 30,000!!! But the great thing about doing it yourself is that you know you’ll get exactly what you want. And it’s something you can definitely be proud of to say that you made it yourselves!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011 at 10:56 am

im sure it will have much more character too… ;)

Baking 'n' Books April 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm

How much work is that going to put you guys through ?? That’s a big job…but $30k – hah! That’s about 1/3rd (less actually) of my student loan debt…

I wish I could laugh at the loan and bank people and “do it my way” as well ;)

Ally C April 14, 2011 at 9:42 am

30,000?! Holy cow! That would be a PASS. DIY foreverrr! That really is a shame about the beams though :\

Pancake looks amazing, I’m just really distracted by the deck figure. Man, oh man. I guess I don’t know how much things like that cost…

Refocus to the pancake positivity! :D

Donna April 14, 2011 at 9:50 am

That pancake looks divine, its going straight to my must cook list!
$30,000 is crazy – looks like you will be spending a lot of time at Lowes and Home depot!
I am making your lentil loaf tonight, wish me luck it looks as great as yours :)

Sophia @ Raven Waves April 14, 2011 at 9:51 am

An upside pancake sounds amazing right now!!

Ann April 14, 2011 at 9:54 am

Oh I feel for you. We just got an estimate for replacing the hollow core doors in our house, and it was double what we expected! Good thing you are ready to DIY!
And the pancake looks beautiful! I bet it would be amazing with peaches or pineapple, too.

Noelle April 14, 2011 at 9:58 am

Yowzers, that is pricey, at least you had this pancake to distract you. It looks killer!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 14, 2011 at 10:07 am

Wow. Good thing you guys are skilled in the DIY department — oy! ;)

[email protected] DiVa DiSh April 14, 2011 at 10:13 am

Hearing those words, I probably would have collapsed…lol, but the beautiful and delicious looking upside down pancake(genious) makes up for it!

Amy April 14, 2011 at 10:14 am

Love oven pancakes! I cook my apples in my fry pan first, then pour my batter on top of the apples. Then put the fry pan in the oven. Yummy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011 at 10:55 am

that sounds fun!

Cat April 14, 2011 at 10:23 am

How on earth did you not choke when you heard that quote? Holy COW!!!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fitn April 14, 2011 at 10:29 am

That is a ridiculous quote! Are they making it out of gold or some other precious metal? We have a condo now, so don’t have to worry about outside stuff yet. I’m not looking forward to things like that.

Great way to turn your frown upside down with breakfast!

Nadine April 14, 2011 at 10:33 am

30k! DIY is the way to go for sure, for the price of beer and a BBQ, a bunch of friends or neighbors can gather around and have a deck raising! All the men on our street seem to love to have an excuse to be outside for a day, and when my husband tried to put up a fence half the street joined in to help. Surprising given that we live in Toronto.

JL Goes Vegan April 14, 2011 at 10:39 am

Gulp. I can see how DIY would win out.

I grew up loving Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Love the idea of a apple/pancake version!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 14, 2011 at 10:48 am

Sounds like you need that pancake!! 30,000 dollars?! I would definitely go the DIY route.

Moni'sMeals April 14, 2011 at 10:49 am

what would I do to have those pancakes right now!
Great recipe.

30 k= crazy!!?? ;)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 14, 2011 at 10:49 am

AWESOME breakfast!

Lindsay April 14, 2011 at 10:55 am

Yum, that pancake looks delish!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 14, 2011 at 11:15 am

I love the look of the upside pancake! Can’t wait to try this out on the weekend!

Mama Pea April 14, 2011 at 11:24 am

I could have used an upside down apple pancake when we met with the tax guy last week. Holy Peas!

AGS @ West with Flight April 14, 2011 at 11:34 am

Your deck is huge, so 30K sounds in the ballpark (though I would have put it in the mid-20’s). I’m sure if you searched around you could find something less expensive, but not much less than 20K. . . It looks like it will be a long and character-building home project (bleh — I abhor home projects!).

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 14, 2011 at 11:42 am

30k? Yikes! I’m so grateful my husband is handy!

Abby April 14, 2011 at 11:57 am

Your response on the phone reminded me of the movie Father of the Bride when Franc is telling Steve Martin’s character that the cost for the wedding is $250 a head. lol :) That pancake looks great!

Roz April 14, 2011 at 12:14 pm

OWCH!!!! $30,000? sigh. Very glad you and Eric are handy and can take it on as a DIY project. Amazing looking pancake, the recipe has been bookmarked. (like alot of your recipes are!)

Carly April 14, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Haha your deck quote reminds me of me getting my taxes done last week. I was anxiously waiting for the girl to tell me how much I was getting as a return. When she told me I owed a few hundred dollars I may or may not have told her she was wrong. I still like to believe she is wrong. Kind of like your deck guy is clearly, wrong.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 14, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I’m constantly amazed by how much contractors can charge… who pays that much?!

The “goo” on the bottom (top?) of upside down cake is my favorite part. I bet this would be awesome with PB spread on top too! Or done with pineapple… mmmm…

Monique April 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Oh YUM!!! And in other news, I don’t see why you guys just don’t DIY every project?! You seem so handy and that probably would save a ton! Good luck…

Michelle | GOLD-HEARTED GIRL April 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm

That looks so delicious! What a nutritious breakfast. Your body is probably smiling, haha.

[email protected] Tell Stories April 14, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Wow. That’s a huge bill! Luckily you guys are handy and have handy friends lol. Buying beer to get all your friends to help will be cheaper than that :)

Good luck with the new deck !

Sam

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) April 14, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I can’t believe $30K for a deck – even if you have a HUGE deck that price seems absolutely ridiculous. At least Eric can do the work and he can be paid with delicious food :)

Angel7 April 14, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Oh my goodness… $30,000… That is outrageous! I am not sure that the construction guys that I know would cost that much, but maybe.

That Giant Upside Down Pancake looks phenomonal! That would make my morning, or any time of the day, for that matter :)

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) April 14, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Thirty thousand for decking?! That’s insane!! At least you had pancakes to make you feel better. :)

Karla April 14, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Your recipes are helping my convince my BF that its OK to not eat animals or animal products. Every time I cook one of them he says “WOW THIS IS ACTUALLY GOOD” in a shocked voice. I’m so excited to try this recipe as well because I KNOW it will get the same reaction. He LOVES pancakes and usually I can slip lots of healthy stuff in them without him noticing ;-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 14, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Angela this looks wonderful! I love the apples on the bottom, that became the top. I am always a little timid when working with things that need the big FLIP at the end. I always wonder if I am going to end up with a big mess on my hands. Clearly you succeeded in turning it into an upside down pancake. Love it!

The deck. When I went down to my house in Aruba over the holidays, it has been raining so much all fall and I realized that I needed to do some major roof repairs. Nothing like walking into a very large sum of money, totally unplanned for, over the holidays. Talk about sticker shock. That’s why I work so much. Houses are money pits, I swear.

I hope you guys find a way to get it all handled, and not for 30g’s. Sheesh…that’s insane!

Kath April 14, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Boy let me tell you about horrific construction quotes….hello bakery that eats my money!!

I do LOVE the looks of this baked pancake!!

sheila @ Elements April 14, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Looks wonderful!! I’m gonna have to get some buckwheat flour and try this! Thanks! :)

Nina (SLO Foodie) April 14, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I don’t know…maybe you’re on to something with living under the new deck. It could be cozy. At the very least you could rent it out? :p

Kristy H April 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm

OMG! i think that sums up my thoughts on the pancake. Im about to drool on the keyboard! Wow, i cant believe how expensive the deck would be.

Emma (Namaste Everyday) April 14, 2011 at 3:44 pm

i love this idea! upside-down desserts are so exciting, like uncovering a hidden treasure!

Sarah April 14, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Yum this looks way good!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 14, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I was trying to figure out a new way of cooking my weekly socca breakfast flatbreads without doing the regular cinnamon raisin flavor. Putting apples at the bottom of the pan is brilliant! I’ll have to do that this weekend!

Melanie April 14, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Hey Angela! This apple pancake looks delish! Definitely going to make it next weekend.

I tried my first green monster this morning and absolutely loved it. Also made you your cinnamon sweet potato chickpea salad for lunch today and practically inhaled it! And I’ve been eating VOO and banana soft serve now for a while. If you weren’t already married… :)

Melanie April 14, 2011 at 4:58 pm

*Also made your cinnamon* My brain is not working well today.

Molly April 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Did you ask why they were planning to use gold beams and diamond nails? Good Lord!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm

That’s a bummer that you’re going to have to end up replacing the beams! But I guess it’s better that you found out rather than finding out one day when the beams rot and collapse under your feet! ;)

And at least you had this delicious breakfast to cheer you up!

Connie the cookie monster April 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm

i made apple pancakes today too! whatta coinky dink!

kaila @ healthy helper! April 14, 2011 at 5:44 pm

YUM! I love sugar free baking! Fruit, for me, definitely brings enough sweetness to baked goods that I rarely have to add sweetener! This looks fabulous and I am bookmarking this right now!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite April 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I love this idea! I love pancakes and apples :)

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life April 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Oh myyy… these look so tasty! I’ve been on a pancake kick lately and I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to make these immediately. I also love eating pancakes cold from the fridge! Completely normal, right? :-D

That is CRAZY about the deck! Obviously I am in the wrong line of work. I need to go into the deck business because I’ll be rich in no time if I could charge that exorbitant amount!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 14, 2011 at 5:56 pm

OUch – thirty- ouch- thousand eeeeeeek!!!

Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. April 14, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Hoping to have time this weekend to make those pancakes! I’m hungry for dinner right now and practicall drooling @ the screen :)

Dalai Lina April 14, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I love how the apples look when it is turned upside down – so pretty!

[email protected] April 14, 2011 at 6:51 pm

this looks delicious! and wow. 30 thousand. hahaha. that does make me giggle in a nervous way lol.

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts April 14, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Oh, that decking quote is horrible :( I remember my parents being shocked at estimates to replace their deck a few years back too. I guess wood is expensive?! DIY sounds like the way to go, albeit a lot of hard work.

On a more positive note, those pancakes look amazing!

Joyce @ Flowing to Fifty April 14, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Ack!!!!! What the heck are they making the deck out of…..granite??? If you can make great pancakes likethis,you can figure out the deck DIY. They look amazing.

staceyhealthylife April 14, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Great idea, yum. It would also be tasty with sliced pear.

Paige @Running Around Normal April 14, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Well at least it will be an adventure? Maybe you can get half way through and have them quote the rest of it ;)

Caitlyn (The Spoonful of Life) April 14, 2011 at 8:13 pm

You should see if you can pay in food! Only a daft person would turn down your cooking :-)

Hilary April 14, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Looks delicious and delightful…and that juice is gorgeous!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) April 14, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Aw, I’m sorry about the crummy quote!

That pancake looks like an ultra yummy wagon wheel though.

Sandra April 14, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Angela, I have contacts in the deck industry. Email me and I can give you their contact info. No deck should be $30Gs!!!

rawkinmom April 14, 2011 at 11:02 pm

For $30,000 you could build a deck yourself from gold!!!! Well, almost!!! LOL
I love your placemats that you have pictured….very nice on your wood table!!!
OH, and your bright reddish-pink juice is FAB!!!!

Helen April 14, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Hello Angela, I have been following your blog posts about a month now. Your blog is most inspiring. You’ve taught me to take challenges and risks in the kitchen. I made my first green monster on Monday and have been having them for breakfast this whole week-mm yum! I can feel my insides thanking me already! I have a small question. This upside down apple panckae, can it be made without an oven? I am currently teaching abroad and unfortunately my kitchen does not come with oven or microwave. So everything I want to cook is done on the frypan :( sad I know. Can you tell me some really good desert recipes (cakes/biscuits) that dont require an oven? Ive already made 2 batches of dough balls etc..but I really want to make a cake. Any suggestiongs? Thank you so much!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011 at 9:06 am

Hmmm I’m not sure…it had to bake for 45 minutes so I would guess that it would be an extremely long time on the skillet, but perhaps not…

Sara @ Baking and Wine April 15, 2011 at 1:13 am

$30,000!?!?!?!?! For a deck?!?!?!??!! That’s just plain highway robbery. Good Lord. Is the deck the size of a football field?

Crazy talk.

Jessy April 15, 2011 at 4:10 am

Holy yum, this looks delicious!

tweal April 15, 2011 at 6:15 am

Wow 30 grand. This looks like a delish recipe to take your mind off that!

AGS April 15, 2011 at 6:19 am

Just a thought: in the world of upside down food “upside down pineapple cake” used to be a huge favorite of mine. . . and then my Mom stopped making it for reasons I cannot fathom. . . and I have never made it. It strikes me that as far as a dish goes, it’s pretty unhealthy, so I was wondering — if the fancy ever took you — whether you might give this old standby a whirl in a healthier version? (In case you don’t know what I’m talking about: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/pineapple-upside-down-cake-v/Detail.aspx)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011 at 9:05 am

I will take a look, thanks! :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes April 15, 2011 at 7:17 am

This looks delicious! I love pancakes so much!

Mariah @ Apples"N" Oats April 15, 2011 at 7:41 am

wow these pictures are absolutly gorgeous!!!give me some of your skills :)

[email protected] Caramel Cookie April 15, 2011 at 7:54 am

What a great idea! I bet it would taste good with peaches too :)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 15, 2011 at 8:38 am

mmm looks so hearty, nutty, and delish! :)

Helene April 15, 2011 at 8:51 am

That’s quite an amazing pancake. I like to replace oil with fruit purées. Quite like using dates also.

Leslie Paquette April 15, 2011 at 9:47 am

30K, holy cow!! That is ridiculous.

That upside down pancake looks amazing! So good in fact I might have to make it for dinner tonight, lol. I’m not sure if I can wait until breakfast to try it.

A Little Nosh April 15, 2011 at 11:24 am

That deck quote gives me heart palpitations!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com April 16, 2011 at 10:00 am

So darn pretty. This looks fabulous Angela! Now I’m regretting my plain pancakes I ate an hour ago :)

Michelle April 17, 2011 at 7:14 pm

In terms of building a deck – it’s totally possible to DIY. Both houses we’ve owned with a deck we built from scratch, ourselves. The only thing I would REALLY recommend getting a professional to do is the post-holes.
Usually you can get the guys in for a half day and they’ll do it all, and it’s relatively little money. But, it’ll save you BIG time. The one house we had in Oakville the guy hit a brick way down there and it stopped his big ole’ post-hole-digger in it’s tracks. I can only imagine how far we’d have flown if we’d been doing it ourselves.
In the end, the investment in having the post-holes done for the support of the deck was the absolute right choice because it made our decks strong enough to have a hot tub on. =]

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2011 at 6:54 am

thanks Michelle! We are definitely getting someone to do the posts! I can only imagine how long it would take us. lol

tasha May 13, 2011 at 9:17 am

Enjoyed the pancake this morning for breakfast – my toddler enjoyed it too. ;) It’s a keeper and I can’t wait to make it (doubled or tripled even!) for the rest of my family. Such a simple and indulgent breakfast! Thanks!

Sarah October 20, 2012 at 10:55 am

Great variation on a pancake. I made it with oatmeal flour and it turned out great. Thanks.

Jana October 24, 2013 at 9:40 am

Made last night for breakfast this morning, it tasted good rewarmed. My boyfriend just called me and said the breakfast was amazing, his tummy was happy. I must agree, I ate the rest, so yummy. I had some fresh cranberries, so I added them to the batter, it was a great match.

Sukanya January 5, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Hi,
I made this pancake today . It looked delicious but the apple layer tasted bitter . I added sweetened apple sauce instead of unsweetened so I added 1 tbsp of brown sugar and did not add the maple syrup . Do you think this might be the reason for it ?
Thanks.

Kathleen Campbell April 2, 2014 at 10:35 am

Yummy in our tummies! It still came out a bit mushy after 45 minutes, but we couldn’t wait any longer and ate it anyway!

Ali Ament November 21, 2014 at 8:17 am

Hi

I made the pancake this morning and the inside never cooked. Only made a crust and inside is mushy. I cooked the pancake for over an hour. What happened? Has anyone else had this experience? I also noticed there is not salt in this recipe. Thanks