Giant Upside Down Apple Pancake

IMG 4398   Giant Upside Down Apple Pancake

There are 4 words I never thought I would hear in the same sentence:

‘Thirty Thousand’

and

‘Deck quote’

We had a decking company do a quote on our deck because we wanted a professional’s opinion on whether we should replace the 25 year old deck beams. We were also just curious what kind of quote they would give us to replace the deck!

‘We quoted your deck install at roughly thirty thousand.’

This is the moment where you laugh nervously like a crazy person.

‘Hahah, I think the phone line is cutting out because I thought you said THIRTY thousand!!’

‘It is thirty thousand. THREE. ZERO.’

Awkward.

We want to replace our old deck, but we don’t want to have to sell the house and live under it! Silly people. We had a second quote at 30k too. #fail. We also found out that we have to replace the beams because they are rotting!

It looks like we will be doing it DIY style like we always do. Nothing like a decking company to get your head out of the clouds! lol.

However, I baked something that was so good it made me forget all about the deck stuff. Food is wonderful like that. Sometimes, it’s so good it induces you into a food coma and you are just sitting there at the table in your own blissful trance oblivious to the world around you.

This was one of those moments.

IMG 4424   Giant Upside Down Apple Pancake

IMG 4434   Giant Upside Down Apple Pancake

There are also three words I never thought I would hear in reference to food:

‘Upside Down’

and

‘Pancake’

But, am I ever glad I did!

IMG 4426   Giant Upside Down Apple Pancake

I first saw Ricki’s recipe for an upside down pancake over a YEAR and a half ago and I have been dying to make it ever since. I have no idea why it took me so long!

I made a few changes to Ricki’s original recipe, and I was almost certain it would be a flop, but it was nothing of the sort!

Changes I made to original recipe:

1) I used 1/3 cup of mashed banana instead of the 1/3 cup of cashew butter (I wanted to keep the calories lower while increasing the serving size).

2) I omitted the almond extract.

3) Instead of using brown rice flour, coconut flour, and oat flour, I used 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp raw buckwheat flour made from processed buckwheat groats inspired by Ashley’s Buckwheat bakes! I would imagine that many different flours might work. I would suggest using oat flour (made from processed rolled oats) if you don’t use buckwheat.

4) I cut baking powder down to 2 tsp.

I was going to use my tart pan, but I was worried that it would leak through the bottom, so I used a spring form cakepan instead (I think it was 10 inch).

Here are the beautiful apple slices coated with cinnamon and Sucanat (or you can use brown sugar):

IMG 4387   Giant Upside Down Apple Pancake

After baking, cooling, and flipping, peel back the parchment layer to reveal the gooey apple layer!

IMG 4388   Giant Upside Down Apple Pancake

A Gorgeous and Giant pancake!! The pancake is about 10 inches in diametre and 1/2-3/4 inch thick.

IMG 4410   Giant Upside Down Apple Pancake

It tastes amazing on its own and I loved eating it plain, but this strawberry jam took it over the top.

IMG 4423   Giant Upside Down Apple Pancake

This morning I had some fresh juice, Japanese Sencha, and 1.5 slices of the giant pancake. I just ate the pancake cold straight from the fridge and I loved every bite.

IMG 4292 2   Giant Upside Down Apple Pancake

In the juice: 2-3 carrots, 1/2 grapefruit, 1 lemon, 2 beets, 1/2 cucumber.

The banana and applesauce work wonderfully to replace oil in this pancake. It was not the least bit dry, and I found that I didn’t need any maple syrup on top thanks to the gooey apple topping. :)

IMG 4431   Giant Upside Down Apple Pancake

Two GIANT thumbs up!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 14, 2011

30,000$? Wowzers! I can imagine how awkward that would be. No thank you.. I think I’d rather try and make my own deck (which would promptly fall apart if anyone ever tried to use it!)

This Upside-Down Pancake looks delcious. Sunday morning breakfast I believe! (since I don’t have enough time to do it during the week :( )

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe April 14, 2011

HA! That decking company has lost their minds! The apple pancake looks heavenly though.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 14, 2011

This sounds so delicious! The only upside-down cakes (not pancakes) I recall seeing are pineapple ones, and I’ve never made one, but this version with apples sounds amazing! And OMG about the deck.. I saw your tweets yesterday and decided that it’s probably a good idea (for future planning of my future home) not to build one if I’m planning to have any money left over to, you know…. feed myself upside down apple pancakes. ;)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 14, 2011

30K for a new deck?!! That’s insane! This Upside Down Pancake looks incredible!! Definitely need to try this.

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo April 14, 2011

Yum! This reminds me of an apple cinnamon waffle I used to get at a restaurant back home. The apples were baked in this caramely sauce that, surprisingly, wasn’t too sweet. It was like heaven!

Freya April 14, 2011

Good gracious! First – at the quote! Holyheck, 30k!??? That’s mad! I think doing it yourself is the right thing…secondly, holyheck at that pancake! Wow :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 14, 2011

Whoa, $30k is crazy. I hope it would wrap around your house and into outer space for that much! Construction is so expensive. Thankfully you can DIY. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011

hahah me too!! and the railing should be made of gold. ;)

Gen April 14, 2011

That deck quote is ridiculous!!!
But the pancake looks so, so amazing! :D

Ashley April 14, 2011

HAhahahaa…30,000??? I’m laughing at the decking company, not you! I would suggest a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th + opinion when it comes to quotes. You wouldn’t believe how big of a difference some companies quote things, even for small plumbing + electrical things. Our window quotes were crazy. It was like $7,000, $5,000 and $2,000, for practically the same windows! Plumbing varied from like $650 to 1,300. So crazy! I’m sure you guys will do fine on your own though. Breakfast looks amazing, and right up my alley. You know I’ll be making this soon. Just need that oven-thing. ;) Thanks for the buckwheat shout out! Woop! It’s pretty crazy how many people are starting to buy buckwheat + grind it into flour for breakfast. So fun!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011

we got another quote last night that that was 30k too. Getting two more tonight but I expect them to be roughly the same as well. Regardless it is still WAY out of our price range even if it was 10k less! lol. Pipe dreams. ahhh. DIY is where it’s at! ;)

Ricki April 14, 2011

That quote really is insane! But you two are so handy at home, you could really do it yourselves. . . if you’re into that kind of thing. ;)

so glad you liked the pancake! I’d love to try it with banana–as soon as I can eat banana again, of course!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious April 14, 2011

Wow! That quote is crazy ~ I would have fallen over in my chair LOL!!
I have been loving pancakes lately! Yours looks great ~ I love putting a twist on a classic fave like pancakes!

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner April 14, 2011

This is great! The thing I hate about making pancakes is how long it takes (I don’t have a very big pan so I have to do them 2 at a time). This would be so easy to throw in the oven and everyone could have their pancakes at once!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011

that’s a great idea!

Amber K April 14, 2011

I find that using banana or applesauce in place of oil only makes baked goods MORE moist. I first started doing it to save calories and then found out I thought the taste and texture of the resulting baked goods was phenomenal! These look fantastic.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011

yes I would have to agree!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) April 14, 2011

AAAH this looks SO DELICIOUS!! A giant pancake?! Sounds so YUMMY!! I bet I would end up eating all of it though! ;)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 14, 2011

The upside down pancake looks fabulous! $30k for a deck, not so fabulous!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 14, 2011

The upside down pancake looks fabulous! $30k for a deck, not so fabulous!

Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life April 14, 2011

30,000!! holy cow!! When we diy’ed our deck 2 years ago, Home Depot was an amazing help. We took our measurements, and they had a computer at the store that would plot out how you wanted it designed, and then print you off a shopping list of what you need for it. It was great!

These pancakes look so yummy, it’s making me wish I had apples at home so I could make them right now!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 14, 2011

HO MAH GOSH!! now this is the coolest and tastiest thing ever! I would definitely polish the whole thing off!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf April 14, 2011

Oh yum, Angela! This sounds like something that would be PERFECT for the fall! I need to add this to my ever-growing list of recipes to try! :)

ellen April 14, 2011

decks are expensive b/c the materials are expensive. $30k sounds scary though. we replaced one at our last condo – you’ll be amazed at how many screws you’ll need. good luck! would be wrong to run another raffle for glo bars to support the deck project??! hahaha..

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011

yes the materials are very costly! However Eric priced everything out, and it is about $5000-6000, which is a far far cry from 30k. Eek

Olya April 14, 2011

Oh. Even $5000-6000 is a huge expense for a young family. Don’t you wish things lasted longer and didn’t need to be replaced? :)

Charlie April 14, 2011

30 000$ for a deck! I’d just sit on the grass lol :P.
Upside down pancake sounds much better! Yum! Great idea to use a spring from a cakepan!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 14, 2011

30k??? I would cry.

Shanna, Like Banana April 14, 2011

$30K for a deck!!! I bet you could get a set of bloggers to come help you for a tenth of that..haha.

At least you have delicious pancakes!

Tosca (Baking me Happy) April 14, 2011

oooooh, that looks sooooooo good
Good lunchbox idea :)
(and breakfast for me)

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 14, 2011

I loved your response “I think the phone line is cutting out, hahaha” — I would have said the same thing. Or I would have cried.

The pancake looks amazing — and huge!

Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl April 14, 2011

I love baked apple pancakes. BUT I never thought I could make them myself. I will definitely be trying this recipe :-)

kate@ahealthypassion April 14, 2011

That pancake looks amazing I have never had upside down anything so I think this is a good place to start. Im off to juice your juice looks delicious seriously grapefruit in juice is the best thing ever I love it!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 14, 2011

WOW, that’s CRAZY about the 30,000!!! But the great thing about doing it yourself is that you know you’ll get exactly what you want. And it’s something you can definitely be proud of to say that you made it yourselves!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011

im sure it will have much more character too… ;)

Baking 'n' Books April 14, 2011

How much work is that going to put you guys through ?? That’s a big job…but $30k – hah! That’s about 1/3rd (less actually) of my student loan debt…

I wish I could laugh at the loan and bank people and “do it my way” as well ;)

Ally C April 14, 2011

30,000?! Holy cow! That would be a PASS. DIY foreverrr! That really is a shame about the beams though :\

Pancake looks amazing, I’m just really distracted by the deck figure. Man, oh man. I guess I don’t know how much things like that cost…

Refocus to the pancake positivity! :D

Donna April 14, 2011

That pancake looks divine, its going straight to my must cook list!
$30,000 is crazy – looks like you will be spending a lot of time at Lowes and Home depot!
I am making your lentil loaf tonight, wish me luck it looks as great as yours :)

Sophia @ Raven Waves April 14, 2011

An upside pancake sounds amazing right now!!

Ann April 14, 2011

Oh I feel for you. We just got an estimate for replacing the hollow core doors in our house, and it was double what we expected! Good thing you are ready to DIY!
And the pancake looks beautiful! I bet it would be amazing with peaches or pineapple, too.

Noelle April 14, 2011

Yowzers, that is pricey, at least you had this pancake to distract you. It looks killer!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 14, 2011

Wow. Good thing you guys are skilled in the DIY department — oy! ;)

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh April 14, 2011

Hearing those words, I probably would have collapsed…lol, but the beautiful and delicious looking upside down pancake(genious) makes up for it!

Amy April 14, 2011

Love oven pancakes! I cook my apples in my fry pan first, then pour my batter on top of the apples. Then put the fry pan in the oven. Yummy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2011

that sounds fun!

Cat April 14, 2011

How on earth did you not choke when you heard that quote? Holy COW!!!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fitn April 14, 2011

That is a ridiculous quote! Are they making it out of gold or some other precious metal? We have a condo now, so don’t have to worry about outside stuff yet. I’m not looking forward to things like that.

Great way to turn your frown upside down with breakfast!

Nadine April 14, 2011

30k! DIY is the way to go for sure, for the price of beer and a BBQ, a bunch of friends or neighbors can gather around and have a deck raising! All the men on our street seem to love to have an excuse to be outside for a day, and when my husband tried to put up a fence half the street joined in to help. Surprising given that we live in Toronto.

JL Goes Vegan April 14, 2011

Gulp. I can see how DIY would win out.

I grew up loving Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Love the idea of a apple/pancake version!

Page 1 of 3123»