Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 10, 2011

There is a significant increase in Reno happiness when one has four things:

1) Friends to help

2) BEER

3) Warm weather and sun

4) More BEER :)

IMG_0114

We spent all day Saturday outdoors in the gorgeous sunshine and warm weather!  We could not believe our luck because we were planning all-day work on the deck. Usually when we plan anything outside in the Spring it rains!

Not today, not today.

IMG_0112

We also lucked out with a bunch of help from friends and family. Jesse, Shayne, Steve, Joanne, Eric and I tackled the deck for most of the day. We also had a visit from my mother-in-law and niece and nephew too.

Check out our well! This is the first time I have seen it because it hides under the deck.

IMG_0119

We rented a construction bin and filled it with the old deck wood. We spent about 3-4 hours just taking all the scrap wood to the bin. We got such a killer workout, however I think I ‘undid’ my massage from this week. ;)

IMG_0092

The good news is we can keep all of the existing beams that are 4 feet deep in the ground.

IMG_0115

Meet DUKE. :) He is Jesse’s dog.

Duke likes bones.

IMG_0110

Duke, nooooooooo! Don’t eat that!

IMG_0121

Duke went into the forest and came out with this random BONE!!!! Gross!!

The last thing to be removed from the deck was the big staircase.

IMG_0104

We have about 1 month to finish this deck before my birthday party! It is going to be tight because we have the next few weekends booked up.

Eric also saved me this old bench (that he sawed in half) for my outdoor food photography!

IMG_0141

Yay, bench.

IMG_0140

Don’t mind the wobbly leg. It adds character.

After the deck stuff, I got my rake on and raked out the garden again. I find it takes me 2-3 ‘sessions’ to really get it looking good after Winter.

IMG_0124

My goal this Summer is to spend more time on the yard and garden. Last summer, we were so crazy busy that we had no time for anything. This summer is going to be much more relaxed and I can’t wait!

IMG_0126

Today we are off to visit my grandparents. My Grandpa continues to stay strong in his battle with cancer. He has his good days and his bad days, but his positive attitude never ceases to amaze me.

I promised to bring a baked good so I guess I should go figure out what I am going to make! Hmmmm…

Kerrin April 10, 2011 at 9:42 am

Wow, certainly sounds like you had quite the workout. Congratulations on all your hard work!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 10, 2011 at 9:48 am

Beer definitely makes reno work more fun!! And if it’s like doing work at my house, it makes it a lot more productive and makes a lot more people pitch in ;)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 10, 2011 at 9:50 am

oh what fun! :)

Kudos to you guys for taking on such a big project! Seeing your place really makes me want to move out of the city and into the country! :)

Julie @ Shining From Within April 10, 2011 at 9:53 am

I hope your grandpa gets better. I noticed you have a birdfeeder..do you have problems with squirrels!?? Can’t seem to get them away from mine!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:27 pm

yes yes and YES!!! they climbs up it…oh the coons do too! LOL

Elizabeth @ the good life April 10, 2011 at 9:57 am

That looks like the perfect way to complete projects. Beer and sunshine help quite a bit!

Baking 'n' Books April 10, 2011 at 10:01 am

Date Squares! A little fruit, oats and sugar appeal to all ages :)

Beer makes all projects go “down easier”. :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011 at 10:02 am

Ooooh… I love the reno pictures :D That’s cool getting to see your well. But I’m probably the only one that thinks that because we actually have a well in our basement(we don’t use it) that’s open. Like we can see the water flowing through it. Our basement never floods because it just passes through the house and out to the street where it ties into the towns drainage system. It’s super cool.
I hope you’ll share whatever you make :D

JenATX April 10, 2011 at 10:09 am

I’m excited to see the deck in action at your birthday party! and i’m sure your grandfather what love whatever you bake :) i hope he’s doing well!

Catherine April 10, 2011 at 10:13 am

So sorry that your grandfather is sick. Best health wishes to him!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher April 10, 2011 at 10:17 am

Since I live in NY, it’s crazy to me to see that you live with trees behind your house! That the dog came back with a gigantic bone! HA!

[email protected] April 10, 2011 at 10:23 am

Looks like you all are making a lot of progress, friends and beer always help! Enjoy your visit with your grandparents :)

Amber K April 10, 2011 at 10:24 am

Wow, you guys are rocking all that work hardcore! I can’t imagine undertaking so much. Saying a prayer for your Grandpa, hope you have a good visit!

A Teenage Gourmet April 10, 2011 at 10:25 am

Hehe, the bench loving picture is very cute.

Zestful Lou April 10, 2011 at 10:35 am

Make cookies! When I am not feeling my best, cookies bring a smile to my face more than any other baked good!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 10, 2011 at 10:35 am

Looks like some great progress! Glad you were able to get outside and enjoy the weather – and your “new” bench! Enjoy your visit with your grandparents.. my prayers are with your grandpa. :)

veganlisa April 10, 2011 at 10:45 am

I hope you had a wonderful visit with your grandfather. I’m sure he appreciated whatever you decided to bake.

I’m also very happy to see that you and your bench are still together. I can’t imagine your summer posts without the rustic wood background.

What a wonderful way to celebrate a perfect spring day – with friends, beverages and a really functional workout!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 10, 2011 at 10:48 am

What a great day to get outside work done. I love it when I can make work FUN! :)

Have a wonderful time with your grandparents!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 10, 2011 at 10:48 am

Amazing progress! Love your little wobbly bench ;)

Hugs and good thoughts to you and your grandpa <3

Natalie April 10, 2011 at 11:03 am

Sorry to hear about your grandpa; I hope he feels better soon. Looks like you guys got a lot done on your deck! I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product! What kind of beer did you guys have (we are always looking to try something new!)?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Thanks natalie. :) Our go to beer right now that we are *obsessed with* is Mill Street Organic

Fae April 10, 2011 at 11:04 am

Can’t wait to see what the deck looks like when it’s done.

Hope you have a nice visit with your Grandpa!

Alaina April 10, 2011 at 11:05 am

Can’t wait to see what the deck looks like!! I love seeing all of your reno projects. I can’t wait for the weather where we can eat outside. :-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 10, 2011 at 11:06 am

That must be nice that you guys have a relaxing summer to look forward to! Are you going to be selling at the farmer’s market again?

Have fun with your grandparents & best wishes to your grandpa! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Nope, we wont be at the market this summer…just as customers! :) Im looking forward to my weekends back for the summer.

Jenn from Much to My Delight April 10, 2011 at 11:15 am

When I read your first graph, I immediately thought, “Hmmmm, when did she move to Reno?” Then I wised up and realized reno was short for renovation. Takes me a minute, but I get there.

Good luck on all your projects! It’s gonna feel so good to relax back there when the hard work is finally over. Then you can drink more beer with friends. The perfect circle.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 10, 2011 at 11:39 am

What great luck with the weather. ..and I’m SO happy you were able to keep your rustic bench! It looks so nice in your outdoor photos.

My thoughts and prayers continue to be with your Grandpa and your family.

Mama Pea April 10, 2011 at 11:41 am

Praying for your grandpa.

And you and that bench should get a room. ;)

Valerie @ City | Life | Eats April 10, 2011 at 11:49 am

What a fun day.

All the best to your grandfather and your whole family.

Katherine: Unemployed April 10, 2011 at 11:50 am

what that’s insane; great job to all of you! Hoping for only the best for your grandfather

Robyn @ New Every Morning April 10, 2011 at 11:53 am

Um, are you sure that all that beer was a good idea?

I’d be concerned that the old bench wasn’t the only thing with a wobbly leg. :P Kidding!

Can’t wait to see the stages of the reno and/or the finished product!

Yayyyyyyyy Spring!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm

haha yes we wrre all a bit wobbly by days end. In bed by 11pm which is unheard of for us night owls! haha

Robyn @ New Every Morning April 10, 2011 at 11:55 am

…sorry, missed that last part of your post, about your Grandfather.

Prayers and warm, positive thoughts go out to your family.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Thanks Robyn :)

kaila @ healthy helper! April 10, 2011 at 12:03 pm

The backyard is looking great! I am sure your grandpa will love that you’re visiting…..and one of your amazing baked goods will definitely lift his spirits!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com April 10, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I hope you enjoy your day :) Happy you’re able to make renos look fun :)

Hannah @ Healthy Life April 10, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Looks like you’re really progressing! I bet it will look great when it’s finished. I hope you have a good day visiting your grandparents :-)

Haleigh April 10, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I have loved reading about all of your renovation projects for your house. The backyard is going to look amazing! I have no doubt ;) I hope you have a nice day while visiting your grandparents.

Ashley April 10, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Aw, sending good thoughts your grandpa’s way! Reno’s are SO much more fun with friends!! You guys got a ton done. Such a good feeling. Yesterday, we made a dresser and were quite pleased with ourselves. haha

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen April 10, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Whew! Quite the project!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA April 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Wow, that’s a lot of work! And I hope your grandpa is doing all right. I’m glad you get to go see him.

Abby April 10, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Looks like you have some good helpers! Prayers for your grandpa!

Lauren April 10, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I’m guessing you aren’t planning on doing the farmer’s market again? Seemed like it took up a lot of your time preparing for it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:23 pm

We won’t be selling at the market this year…but will be VISITING each week. Yippee :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Angela, I am sending prayers and good vibes and my deepest empathy to your grandpa. I wish him health and peace.

Your deck..you guys are coming along on that!

And yes, everything goes better with sunshine, friends, and some drinks! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Thanks so much!

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 10, 2011 at 2:02 pm

That looks like a ton of work! I’m glad you kept that bench, it looked so great in your food phoographs!

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit April 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Love the reno’s and yard work!
My hubby and I are coming onto 12 acres next week and I planted seeds in our little green house yesterday. Hopefully in four weeks I will be able to join you in your pact of spending a lot of time in your yard this summer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:22 pm

wow that is amazing! Congrats!

Moni'sMeals April 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Great progress on that deck, BEER is always a good bribe for helpers!

Best of thoughts for your grandpa. Have a nice visit. :)

Varsha April 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Hi Angela,
I simply love your blog (and I’m a carnivore; my mother’s vegetarian though).
Prayers for your grandpa, my cousin battled leukaemia as a young boy.

Hey, I love your renos. It would be really nice if you kept a separate section for ‘RENOS’ like ‘RECIPES’
-Varsha, India

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Thank you Varsha!

Great suggestion. I do have all my renos in a catorgory called ‘Home Renos’ If you look on my right sidebar I have a category drop down list (its HUGE, sorry!) and it will be on there.

Varsha April 12, 2011 at 2:37 pm

oh…thanks :)

[email protected] April 10, 2011 at 3:37 pm

congratulations on all the hard work!!!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 10, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Those pictures of you with the bench are just adorable!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 10, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I love yard work. Never used to, but once I realized that exercise can be fun and productive, I changed my mind.

Glad to hear your grandpa is in good spirits! That’s very important, so good for the mind and body.

Kaleigh April 10, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I have a chocolate lab named Duke too!!!

and yes. They can find the grossest things when left on their own. My came home once with a dead squirrel as a lovely present.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm

oh man!!

Paige @Running Around Normal April 10, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Sounds like a successful day for sure!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 10, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Well done! I am sure it is going to look fab!

Lana April 10, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Wow, y’all have been busy bees! I can’t wait to see what it looks like after the reno’s. If its as good as the rest of the house I have no doubts it will be beautiful!

Sandy April 10, 2011 at 4:50 pm

We have so much yard work to do too. Winter was really hard on all of our trees and we have much hauling and burning of limbs and branches yet to do. I did get the yard part of our property raked and mowed, now I need to get to work on 2 acres of trees so that it is mowable.

Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve April 10, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Quick question: do you have any posts about your decision to go vegan?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Yes I do… Here http://ohsheglows.com/2009/11/18/my-road-to-health-part-vi/ and in my FAQ page I think :)

Natalia - a side of simple April 10, 2011 at 5:11 pm

That sounds like one of the best recipes for success ever :) Oh, maybe throw in a couple of your baked goods in there just for good measure!

Michelle | Gold-hearted Girl April 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Yes, that looks like so much fun! I love spending days like that – at the end of the day, you’ll be exhausted, but oh so happy.

Roz April 10, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Wow…quite the project. It’s going to be great. Best wishes to your Grandpa!!

[email protected] April 10, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Looks like a great day! Can’t wait to see the finished deck.

Caitlin @ TPL April 10, 2011 at 7:58 pm

ew that is so weird about the bone! Excited to see what the finished deck looks like, and super nice of Eric with the bench!

Mariah April 10, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I am a new follower and LOVE your blog! All your recipes I have tried so far have been delicious! I am newly vegan (since January) and it is so nice to have a reliable food blog to browse and enjoy. My absolute favorite recipe right now is your wheat berry salad. Not only are your recipes wonderful, but you take beautiful photographs too! Thank you for inspirational vegan recipes that even my non-vegan friends enjoy!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Thanks Mariah!!

Olga Singh April 10, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Oh boy. That’s a lot of work and time time to maintain that garden! :) We’ve few renoes on our list as well: raised veggie beds, compost bins, second chicken house for raising chicks just to name a few. Have a good day with grandpa!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe April 10, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Way to go on working so hard! I can’t wait to see your deck when it’s finished – I’m sure it will be amazing!
Also glad to hear your grandpa is doing well:)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food April 10, 2011 at 9:55 pm

My thoughts are with your grandpa! :-)
Beer and friends usually make anything seem better!…especially hard work!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday April 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I totally wish I was handy enough to build a deck. It’s on a very long list of things to do around my house.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) April 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm

It looks like you have a lot of land!! What a great place to live :-)

[email protected] April 10, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Whoa what a perfect day!!! I’m so jealous of your bench, so perfect for food photography :)

Hope you had fun visiting your grandparents!!

Hannah April 10, 2011 at 11:10 pm

What a gorgeously glossy dog, and what a happy Angela!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 11, 2011 at 6:14 am

Yay for sunshine!!

thehealthyapron April 11, 2011 at 7:58 am

Looks a like a productive day!! I loved being outside yesterday!!

Thoughts and prayers to your grandpa! A positive attitude makes all the difference!

Gaura April 11, 2011 at 9:13 am

I love your yard, so rustic and just the kind of view I want one day :)

Whitney Cosgrave April 11, 2011 at 9:22 am

I just stumbled across your blog and I love it! I can’t wait to try out some of the recipes.

Whitney
seeshopeatdo.com

Christine @ Merf In Progress April 11, 2011 at 9:26 am

I love that you now have a dedicated bench for outdoor photos. :-D

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather April 11, 2011 at 9:35 am

Sounds like you knocked out two things at once. Deck work and working out! I love how getting stuff done around the house can be such a good workout too.

emma April 11, 2011 at 10:07 am

I’m beaming big hugs to you Angela and I am thinking positive thoughts for your grandad. Eric was so sweet to save you the bench for your photography! :-)

Char April 11, 2011 at 10:47 pm

The wobbly leg on the bench made me laugh! As long as it’s not too wobbly when the food’s on it, you’ll be safe (or at least try to save the food if it should happen to fall)!!!