Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

There is a significant increase in Reno happiness when one has four things:

1) Friends to help

2) BEER

3) Warm weather and sun

4) More BEER :)

IMG 0114   Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

We spent all day Saturday outdoors in the gorgeous sunshine and warm weather!  We could not believe our luck because we were planning all-day work on the deck. Usually when we plan anything outside in the Spring it rains!

Not today, not today.

IMG 0112   Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

We also lucked out with a bunch of help from friends and family. Jesse, Shayne, Steve, Joanne, Eric and I tackled the deck for most of the day. We also had a visit from my mother-in-law and niece and nephew too.

Check out our well! This is the first time I have seen it because it hides under the deck.

IMG 0119   Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

We rented a construction bin and filled it with the old deck wood. We spent about 3-4 hours just taking all the scrap wood to the bin. We got such a killer workout, however I think I ‘undid’ my massage from this week. ;)

IMG 0092   Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

The good news is we can keep all of the existing beams that are 4 feet deep in the ground.

IMG 0115   Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

Meet DUKE. :) He is Jesse’s dog.

Duke likes bones.

IMG 0110   Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

Duke, nooooooooo! Don’t eat that!

IMG 0121   Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

Duke went into the forest and came out with this random BONE!!!! Gross!!

The last thing to be removed from the deck was the big staircase.

IMG 0104   Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

We have about 1 month to finish this deck before my birthday party! It is going to be tight because we have the next few weekends booked up.

Eric also saved me this old bench (that he sawed in half) for my outdoor food photography!

IMG 0141   Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

Yay, bench.

IMG 0140   Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

Don’t mind the wobbly leg. It adds character.

After the deck stuff, I got my rake on and raked out the garden again. I find it takes me 2-3 ‘sessions’ to really get it looking good after Winter.

IMG 0124   Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

My goal this Summer is to spend more time on the yard and garden. Last summer, we were so crazy busy that we had no time for anything. This summer is going to be much more relaxed and I can’t wait!

IMG 0126   Friends, Beer, Sun, & More Beer

Today we are off to visit my grandparents. My Grandpa continues to stay strong in his battle with cancer. He has his good days and his bad days, but his positive attitude never ceases to amaze me.

I promised to bring a baked good so I guess I should go figure out what I am going to make! Hmmmm…

Kerrin April 10, 2011

Wow, certainly sounds like you had quite the workout. Congratulations on all your hard work!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 10, 2011

Beer definitely makes reno work more fun!! And if it’s like doing work at my house, it makes it a lot more productive and makes a lot more people pitch in ;)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 10, 2011

oh what fun! :)

Kudos to you guys for taking on such a big project! Seeing your place really makes me want to move out of the city and into the country! :)

Julie @ Shining From Within April 10, 2011

I hope your grandpa gets better. I noticed you have a birdfeeder..do you have problems with squirrels!?? Can’t seem to get them away from mine!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011

yes yes and YES!!! they climbs up it…oh the coons do too! LOL

Elizabeth @ the good life April 10, 2011

That looks like the perfect way to complete projects. Beer and sunshine help quite a bit!

Baking 'n' Books April 10, 2011

Date Squares! A little fruit, oats and sugar appeal to all ages :)

Beer makes all projects go “down easier”. :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011

Ooooh… I love the reno pictures :D That’s cool getting to see your well. But I’m probably the only one that thinks that because we actually have a well in our basement(we don’t use it) that’s open. Like we can see the water flowing through it. Our basement never floods because it just passes through the house and out to the street where it ties into the towns drainage system. It’s super cool.
I hope you’ll share whatever you make :D

JenATX April 10, 2011

I’m excited to see the deck in action at your birthday party! and i’m sure your grandfather what love whatever you bake :) i hope he’s doing well!

Catherine April 10, 2011

So sorry that your grandfather is sick. Best health wishes to him!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher April 10, 2011

Since I live in NY, it’s crazy to me to see that you live with trees behind your house! That the dog came back with a gigantic bone! HA!

kate@ahealthypassion April 10, 2011

Looks like you all are making a lot of progress, friends and beer always help! Enjoy your visit with your grandparents :)

Amber K April 10, 2011

Wow, you guys are rocking all that work hardcore! I can’t imagine undertaking so much. Saying a prayer for your Grandpa, hope you have a good visit!

A Teenage Gourmet April 10, 2011

Hehe, the bench loving picture is very cute.

Zestful Lou April 10, 2011

Make cookies! When I am not feeling my best, cookies bring a smile to my face more than any other baked good!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 10, 2011

Looks like some great progress! Glad you were able to get outside and enjoy the weather – and your “new” bench! Enjoy your visit with your grandparents.. my prayers are with your grandpa. :)

veganlisa April 10, 2011

I hope you had a wonderful visit with your grandfather. I’m sure he appreciated whatever you decided to bake.

I’m also very happy to see that you and your bench are still together. I can’t imagine your summer posts without the rustic wood background.

What a wonderful way to celebrate a perfect spring day – with friends, beverages and a really functional workout!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 10, 2011

What a great day to get outside work done. I love it when I can make work FUN! :)

Have a wonderful time with your grandparents!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 10, 2011

Amazing progress! Love your little wobbly bench ;)

Hugs and good thoughts to you and your grandpa <3

Natalie April 10, 2011

Sorry to hear about your grandpa; I hope he feels better soon. Looks like you guys got a lot done on your deck! I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product! What kind of beer did you guys have (we are always looking to try something new!)?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011

Thanks natalie. :) Our go to beer right now that we are *obsessed with* is Mill Street Organic

Fae April 10, 2011

Can’t wait to see what the deck looks like when it’s done.

Hope you have a nice visit with your Grandpa!

Alaina April 10, 2011

Can’t wait to see what the deck looks like!! I love seeing all of your reno projects. I can’t wait for the weather where we can eat outside. :-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 10, 2011

That must be nice that you guys have a relaxing summer to look forward to! Are you going to be selling at the farmer’s market again?

Have fun with your grandparents & best wishes to your grandpa! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011

Nope, we wont be at the market this summer…just as customers! :) Im looking forward to my weekends back for the summer.

Jenn from Much to My Delight April 10, 2011

When I read your first graph, I immediately thought, “Hmmmm, when did she move to Reno?” Then I wised up and realized reno was short for renovation. Takes me a minute, but I get there.

Good luck on all your projects! It’s gonna feel so good to relax back there when the hard work is finally over. Then you can drink more beer with friends. The perfect circle.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 10, 2011

What great luck with the weather. ..and I’m SO happy you were able to keep your rustic bench! It looks so nice in your outdoor photos.

My thoughts and prayers continue to be with your Grandpa and your family.

Mama Pea April 10, 2011

Praying for your grandpa.

And you and that bench should get a room. ;)

Valerie @ City | Life | Eats April 10, 2011

What a fun day.

All the best to your grandfather and your whole family.

Katherine: Unemployed April 10, 2011

what that’s insane; great job to all of you! Hoping for only the best for your grandfather

Robyn @ New Every Morning April 10, 2011

Um, are you sure that all that beer was a good idea?

I’d be concerned that the old bench wasn’t the only thing with a wobbly leg. :P Kidding!

Can’t wait to see the stages of the reno and/or the finished product!

Yayyyyyyyy Spring!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011

haha yes we wrre all a bit wobbly by days end. In bed by 11pm which is unheard of for us night owls! haha

Robyn @ New Every Morning April 10, 2011

…sorry, missed that last part of your post, about your Grandfather.

Prayers and warm, positive thoughts go out to your family.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011

Thanks Robyn :)

kaila @ healthy helper! April 10, 2011

The backyard is looking great! I am sure your grandpa will love that you’re visiting…..and one of your amazing baked goods will definitely lift his spirits!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com April 10, 2011

I hope you enjoy your day :) Happy you’re able to make renos look fun :)

Hannah @ Healthy Life April 10, 2011

Looks like you’re really progressing! I bet it will look great when it’s finished. I hope you have a good day visiting your grandparents :-)

Haleigh April 10, 2011

I have loved reading about all of your renovation projects for your house. The backyard is going to look amazing! I have no doubt ;) I hope you have a nice day while visiting your grandparents.

Ashley April 10, 2011

Aw, sending good thoughts your grandpa’s way! Reno’s are SO much more fun with friends!! You guys got a ton done. Such a good feeling. Yesterday, we made a dresser and were quite pleased with ourselves. haha

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen April 10, 2011

Whew! Quite the project!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA April 10, 2011

Wow, that’s a lot of work! And I hope your grandpa is doing all right. I’m glad you get to go see him.

Abby April 10, 2011

Looks like you have some good helpers! Prayers for your grandpa!

Lauren April 10, 2011

I’m guessing you aren’t planning on doing the farmer’s market again? Seemed like it took up a lot of your time preparing for it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011

We won’t be selling at the market this year…but will be VISITING each week. Yippee :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 10, 2011

Angela, I am sending prayers and good vibes and my deepest empathy to your grandpa. I wish him health and peace.

Your deck..you guys are coming along on that!

And yes, everything goes better with sunshine, friends, and some drinks! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011

Thanks so much!

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 10, 2011

That looks like a ton of work! I’m glad you kept that bench, it looked so great in your food phoographs!

Page 1 of 212»