Light and Fresh Avocado Cream Verrines

IMG_4201

My High protein and high fibre cereal turned out to be a bit disappointing in the satiety department! I was hungry after only 3 hours which is disappointing because the bowl was about 600 calories and packed with protein, fibre, and healthy fats.

What gives, cereal? It did last me much, much longer than a normal bowl of cereal would, so I guess that is progress.

There was a possible confound in my study though! I worked out after breakfast for 45 minutes on the elliptical, which I am sure increased my appetite more than usual. In conclusion, replication of this study is required, but I don’t see myself relying on cereal too much!

By noon, I was more than ready for lunch.

I had a big salad composed of mixed Romaine greens, carrot, tomato, warm red lentils mixed with hummus, with a drizzle of my Better than bottled balsamic vinaigrette.

IMG_4170

I loved this huge bowl and gobbled it up.

IMG_4173

Along side of my salad, I tried something new…

IMG_4201

Have you ever heard of a Verrine?

I hadn’t…until I saw it on Tartelette the other day!

According to Wiki, A Verrine is ‘a confection, originally from France, made by layering ingredients in a small glass. It can be either sweet or savoury, making a dessert or snack.’

Cool, huh? Reminds me of a parfait. I searched Verrine on google images and I was delighted to see soooo many Verrine pictures!

ver

I can see myself having a lot of fun with these! As you know, layering is totally my soft spot. ;)

The first thing you do is roast the peppers for about 40 minutes. I used 2 red peppers and some chopped onion.

IMG_4190

Cook the quinoa on the stove top and just before everything is ready, make the avocado cream sauce.

IMG_4182

IMG_4189

Layer and serve!

This Verrine was DELICIOUS! I think I’m in love. :)

IMG_4207

Enjoy your Saturday!

1 Bronwyn April 9, 2011

I have never heard of a verrines, but it looks delicious. Anything with advocado gets my vote!

2 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 9, 2011

what a beautiful dish! :)

finding that breakfast dish that gives satiety until lunch is like finding the holy grail :P

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 9, 2011

So cool! I thought is was a overnight oats creation at first. :)

You could even do this large-scale for a gorgeous party dish. I love pretty food. *sigh*

4 Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 9, 2011

The verrine looks lovely and delicious! I love the layered look :)

5 Radha April 9, 2011

I read your blog everyday. Love it. Love it when you tweet too. You continually inspire me to make vegan choices. I’d say I’m 98% vegetarian, and veganish…still like my dairy products and eggs. I have stopped eating most processed foods.
I am interested in your cereal creations. I love cold cereal with coconut or almond milk in the spring/summer.
I’m thinking a combo of spelt flakes and granola some chia thrown in…and what else??? It is fun to create!
Still loving the green monster in the afternoons. I take it to the office and have it about 3:30. Much better than a caffinated drink.
Thank you, Angela for your beautiful blog. <3

6 jenny April 9, 2011

I make my VOO in a little dish like that. It always feels so luxurious! I so want to try this…but it scares me!

7 Julie @ Shining From Within April 9, 2011

These look delicious! I’m on a real avocado kick lately. I bet the chocolate pudding from your chocolate torte would taste delish as dessert with some berries layered in!

8 Michelle | gold-hearted girl April 9, 2011

This is so unique! I love the idea. Avocado makes anything better, don’t you think? :)

9 Katie April 9, 2011

I love “layered” foods, too. There’s something inherently comforting about digging through all the layers. Yummy!

10 Grace April 9, 2011

I’ve never heard of a verrine before! It’s so pretty. I love that it’s like a salad triffle.

I can’t eat ceral for breakfast without feeling hungry soon afterwards. Your lunch looks DELICIOUS! Thank you for sharing.

11 Emily April 9, 2011

That’s gorgeous! Layered foods are so pretty. :)

12 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 9, 2011

You are the Queen of Layers! This looks so vibrant, and the different textures totally sell me on this one :)

13 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday April 9, 2011

This looks phenomenal. Is it served at room temperature? i love the colours and the layers.

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2011

its served warm or room temp…mine was slightly warm :)

15 Shannon April 9, 2011

Looks very yummy. I think I am going to have to try that recipe soon!

16 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 9, 2011

That IS disappointing about the cereal. It might be the exercise, or it might take a little more experimenting to find the right (if any) combination for your body.

That salad looks SO good, and thanks for the Verrines recipe! I’ve never even heard of that before!

17 michaela April 9, 2011

Have you tried make your own nuts or seeds milk?. I like raw homeade hemp milk, cause hemp seeds are pack with protein amino acid omega3,6 fatty acid etc. and you do not have to soak them. Simply blend hemp seeds water little vanila, stevia or date if you prefer sweet taste. I think hemp milk have more protein then soy milk and it is much healthier this unprocessed way.

18 Hannah April 9, 2011

That sucks about the cereal! I find that “thickening” things like kefir or yogurt help with satiety, but that’s hard to do if you are a vegan unless you like soy yogurt…blegh!

This avocado verrine looks so delish and beautiful!

19 Evan Thomas April 9, 2011

You hit the nail on the head with this one; fresh and light is just what I was thinking reading the recipe.

20 Camille April 9, 2011

Gorgeous! It looks so fresh and spring-like!

21 Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 9, 2011

The colors in that Verrine are so vibrant! It looks like it would be good as a dip too!

22 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 9, 2011

Love the Verrine! Looks like a perfect combination of flavors and I’m a sucka for layering, too. :-)

23 carol April 9, 2011

This looks just gorgeous and I can’t wait to taste it!

24 Jennifer Merschel April 9, 2011

I love cereal, but for how many calories it has, it just never holds me over the way oats or even PB & toast does – even for the same amount of calories. I don’t get it.

I’m making that salad with the lentils and hummus for lunch. Looks so good!

25 Dana April 9, 2011

If you’re not opposed to having something savory in the morning, I’ve recently started eating lentils with onions spinach for breakfast, and it keeps me incredibly full in the mornings! I have a bowl of them at 7am and I’m completely full until I have lunch at 1. It’s just as easy as cereal too- I make a lot of them over the weekend and store them in a big tupperware. In the mornings I just add the spinach and put it in the microwave (but it’s really good cold too). It’s a great way to get lots of protein and nutrients in early in the day!

26 Baking 'n' Books April 9, 2011

Definitely looks like Spring food! I’ve never heard of a Verrine.Do you just eat it with a spoon?

I was wondering if you post on the same day or just do posts ahead of time. Like, your cereal yesterday posted – was that actually yesterday that you had it and “experimented” or earlier in the week?

Hope your back is getting better!

27 Reka April 9, 2011

I also looove layering and I get so excited about new type of foods that I’ve never heard of!! Thanks so much for posting it Angela. I can’t wait to try this. I think I even have some avocado on the bottom of my freezer! :) Better go! :))))

28 never not dreaming April 9, 2011

Lately I’ve just been grabbing large flour tortillas and smashing a whole avocado on them. Just as a random, out-of-the-blue snack. I have busy fingers considering all I do is sit on my bum.
Nice pictures.

29 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe April 9, 2011

Gorgeous! I thought it was avocado-mint cream with strawberries at first!

30 kate@ahealthypassion April 9, 2011

How creative I never would have thought of this combo but it sounds amazing! Love avocados.

31 Kath April 9, 2011

You sound like me and my satiety studies. There is always a confounding variable!

32 Abby April 9, 2011

What a cute layered dish! :) Sounds like a great light and refreshing dish for spring and summer!!

33 leslie April 9, 2011

i love this idea so much!! the wheels in my head are literally whirling with the possibilities. thanks for the inspiration!

34 Ellie@fitforthesoul April 9, 2011

I love pretty colorful ‘parfait’ pictures! this verrine is creative and fresh lookin’!

35 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 9, 2011

As far as cereal goes for me… I can add lots of protein, fiber and a moderate amout of healthy fat and I’m always hungry in a couple hours. I think my body has special enzymes to break down cereal super fast or something. lol.

Your verrine looks so vibrant and tasty. The beautiful colors make for a beautiful dish to look and… and then to EAT!

36 Ally April 9, 2011

I’m definitely the same way when it comes to cereal. Sometimes I really enjoy having it for breakfast but no matter how big I make the bowl or how many toppings I put on it, it’s always the same: I’m starving about 3 hours later! :( Oatmeal is awesome but for the summertime it’s not very conducive.

37 Moni'sMeals April 9, 2011

you put some love into that dish! the picture is just so FRESH! good reminder on verinne, your creation is amazing.

I agree, I love cereal, love love it, but never leaves me super full. :) oh well, same with frozen yogurt and that is why I get a LARGE.

38 Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 9, 2011

I’ve never even heard of a Verrine but it looks wonderful!

39 Cait's Plate April 9, 2011

HOLY YUM!!! That looks so delicious! I’m such a huge avocado fan (almost as much a fan of it as you are of layering!!) so I’d definitely love to try this out. Or any Verrine of some sort (perhaps with oatmeal, peanut butter and chocolate chips?! I’m drooling just thinking about it!)!

40 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 9, 2011

LOL as soon as I saw the picture, i thought, that looks a bit like a savoury parfait… then saw your comment about the parfait. Great minds think alike I suppose!! They sounds lovely. I’m making a layered Mexican dip tonight.. which I suppose is just a much larger verrine!

41 Ashley April 9, 2011

I have never heard of that! Looks gorgeous and will be a definite must try! I’m wondering if the oats are slower to digest? I find when I eat farro porridge it doesn’t hold me over as long as oats, which don’t hold me over as long as buckwheat. Just thinking it could be some sort of digestion process thing. Although the working out could have done it too! ;)

42 Rebecca April 9, 2011

J’adore! LOVE the French influence. :) Your version is much lighter than the verrines usually served here AND it features quinoa, avocado and cilantro (three things that I could actually be happy eating every day, especially together) – BRAVO! Can’t wait to try it! And I too seem to never be filled up from cereal (what IS it about cereal?) but I still love it, I Just end up eating two breakfasts! haha Or have you thought of adding yogurt? (soy yogurt, of course) Makes it creamier and I find, more hearty and protein-filled. OR just be more French and lay off the elliptical? ;) JK
Thanks for another fab recipe, keep up the Frenchified fare – love it!
Bisous from Paris, Rebecca

43 JL goes Vegan April 9, 2011

Okay, I haven’t tried it yet, but this might become my favorite OSG recipe! Love everything about it! I love the ingredients and I love the presentation! I can’t wait to try it.

44 tweal April 9, 2011

I’d never heard of a verrine. Looks delish, I will try one soon!

45 megan @ the oatmeal diaries April 9, 2011

The verrine looks BEAUTIFUL. Your photos always make me smile without fail!!

46 Nanette @ Making Me New April 9, 2011

That sounds so good, and pretty easy! Now I’m craving avocado!

47 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 9, 2011

That looks so good! It’s like a meal parfait!

48 Renée April 9, 2011

Weird thing to compliment, but those carrots look awesome! Is it weird to crave carrots? :D

49 Stacy @ Say It With Sprouts April 9, 2011

It’s amazing how much better food tastes when it looks beautiful, too!

50 sonia April 9, 2011

Hi Angela,

The verrine made with quinoa and avocado is looking absolutely delightful, loved the natural flavors and fibres, just perfect to gobble any time of the day….cheers !

51 staceyhealthylife April 9, 2011

Great idea. I love anything layered also.

52 Kat @ Cupcake Kat April 9, 2011

Cereals always seem to fill me up as long as its a healthy bowl! Maybe cereals are not filling for you because its just the way your body works
This verrine looks delicious. What a great idea!

53 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 9, 2011

I saw Helene’s post and drooled over it! Her photography and recipes are just gorgeous, as are yours, of course!

Love this recipe and for the 411 on just what makes a verrines.

Sorry your cereal proved to be less than filling. Darn. Hate it when that happens!

54 rawkinmom April 9, 2011

I have seen layered dishes but never knew they had a name!!! Your looks amazing…those roasted red peppers are drool worthy!!!!

55 sasha@blyssfulhealth April 9, 2011

That looks like a great cute idea. Too bad about the cereal. I have been into buckwheat cereal. Not sure it would have that many cals in and hold you much longer though.

56 Hilary April 9, 2011

Oooh yum! I have heard of verrines (Epicure came out with some glasses/recipes last fall), but have yet to try them…..I want to now!

57 The Teenage Taste April 9, 2011

Mmmmmm. This looks delicious! Perfect for spring!
PS – I just made your Ultimate Vegan Walnut Lentil Loaf and it was amazing! My entire family loved it! Thanks! :-)

58 Zestful Lou April 9, 2011

I saw so many sweet verrines on my trip to Paris! I had no idea that’s what they were called though! And I don’t think I’ve seen a savory one before…

59 Heather (Faces of Beauty) April 9, 2011

ooooooh yummy…a verrine sounds fantastic! layering is the best :)

60 Johanna GGG April 9, 2011

Fantastic recipe – makes me think it would be excellent in a little cup type container and taken along for lunch – would be so easy to store in the fridge – though I am not sure if avocado would be the right filling for making ahead.

I can’t remember if I have commented before but I have been enjoying reading this blog recently and have given you a Stylish Blogger award – http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/2011/04/memes-are-due-thanks-are-due.html – pass on if you have the time or inclination or just take it as a sign of my enjoyment of your blog :-)

61 Kristy H April 10, 2011

Layered food rocks! It looks beautiful as does that huge bowl of salad. I always look forward to reading your blog daily, it puts a smile on my face and encourages me to make good food and exercise choices throughout the day. Im trying to tone up for my wedding this year and already i have easily lost a small amount of weight in the two weeks i have been eating nearly all vegan meals and running again. I feel great and your right, you do glow from the inside out! many thanks.

62 Christine @ Burning It Off April 10, 2011

Totally agree about cereal! I love the stuff, but I am starving within an hour or so of eating it. Those Verrines look like so much fun… you can play around with all kinds of different flavors and textures!

63 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 10, 2011

never ever heard of a verrine but hey- doesnt matter cuz i know that ill love this!!

64 Char April 10, 2011

Anything with avocado in it has got my attention!

65 Karen April 10, 2011

Love the verrine. It would be great in a trifle bowl for a dinner party.

Karen

66 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 10, 2011

Layered things just taste better. I totally agree with you. I’ve never heard of these Verrines… but they sound intriguing. I guess now we have a name for all the layered things we create! I betcha a black bean layer would be pretty good in this too!

67 Amber K April 10, 2011

I’m not quite seeing the difference between the verrine and the parfait, but either way both tend to look absolutely delicious!

68 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons April 10, 2011

I can’t wait to make this!!!!!!!!

69 Lana April 10, 2011

You’ve been making Verrines all along and never even knew it! Now you have an even fancier word to go along with your fancy eats. Love it!

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011

like trying to say it with a French accent ;)

71 Hannah April 10, 2011

Hi Angela,

I’m a new reader to your blog!

I ablsolutely love all of your photos on your posts, and was wondering if you photoshop them yourself, or you have a certain type of camera that makes them all look as pretty as they do!

Xx Hannah

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011

thanks! I used Lightroom (adobe) and I have a canon DSLR camera.

73 Caitlin @ Quest for Fitness April 10, 2011

First time reading your blog, and I LOVE it! Your pictures are beautiful, and this recipe looks amazing. Thanks for sharing it!

74 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious April 11, 2011

Yum!! Your salad and the verrine look delicious! Now how will I ever choose what I’m going to have for dinner tonight — too many amazing meal ideas and just not enough time!

75 Kathy April 13, 2011

love it!!! I hope u will submit to http://www.FindingVegan.com ~kathy

76 marla {family fresh cooking} April 13, 2011

Love the idea of savory verrines – so pretty too!

77 heidi April 14, 2011

Wow. This looks divine! Thanks for sharing, I’ll have to try it out.

78 Sandra April 17, 2011

I just made this recipe. It was soooooooo good and so filling! Thank you for posting this recipe!

79 Jessica Farnsworth May 5, 2011

Hi Angela–
I’ve made these several times now since your post–they are a lovely and delicious meal!!! If I’ve got a family member over I’ve gotten comments like–what is that? It looks so gourment, wow! and WOW is right–a healthy and great side dish or double it and add more fresh veggies for a meal! thanks. also, LOVED your soaked oats and then the parfaits with them inside. Can’t wait to try your salds either. Thanks for your abundance!!!

80 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 5, 2011

that is great to hear!

81 Jessica Farnsworth May 5, 2011

PS–thank you as well for “Oh She Glows”…I have your sight saved as a “favorite” not only for your beautiful pictures and recipes, but because of your positive energy, outlook and love–I visit OSG because I know I will leave feeling inspired and with a little better (if not a lot) outlook on just about everything, than when I came. THANK YOU!

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 5, 2011

aww thank you so much!

83 Heather Lynn April 22, 2013

The quinoa Verrine was a total dream for Earth Day-eve dinner. An easy pleaser to the eye – and even more to taste buds. Paired it with a dish of canteloupe for dessert and it was a complete meal. http://pho.to/1wEuZ

Reduced avocado by half and added steamed, minced broccoli for bulk. Also roasted fresh and sundried tomatoes with the red pepper and onions (only had one pepper on hand). Replaced cilantro (guest dislikes) with parsley and basil.

Will be making again – love the versatility. Planning to tweak for a mexican and for a peanut thai version as well!

84 Lala April 1, 2016

tried it! loved it! Many thanks!

85 Yonida April 23, 2016

Angela,

I tried these today and they were delicious! As usual you nailed the recipe! I can’t wait till your new books come out. My entire family loves your recipes.

86 Angela Liddon April 25, 2016

I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe, Yonida! And thanks for your enthusiasm for the new cookbook – I hope you love it when it finally arrives!