Light and Fresh Avocado Cream Verrines

IMG 4201   Light and Fresh Avocado Cream Verrines

My High protein and high fibre cereal turned out to be a bit disappointing in the satiety department! I was hungry after only 3 hours which is disappointing because the bowl was about 600 calories and packed with protein, fibre, and healthy fats.

What gives, cereal? It did last me much, much longer than a normal bowl of cereal would, so I guess that is progress.

There was a possible confound in my study though! I worked out after breakfast for 45 minutes on the elliptical, which I am sure increased my appetite more than usual. In conclusion, replication of this study is required, but I don’t see myself relying on cereal too much!

By noon, I was more than ready for lunch.

I had a big salad composed of mixed Romaine greens, carrot, tomato, warm red lentils mixed with hummus, with a drizzle of my Better than bottled balsamic vinaigrette.

IMG 4170   Light and Fresh Avocado Cream Verrines

I loved this huge bowl and gobbled it up.

IMG 4173   Light and Fresh Avocado Cream Verrines

Along side of my salad, I tried something new…

IMG 42011   Light and Fresh Avocado Cream Verrines

Have you ever heard of a Verrine?

I hadn’t…until I saw it on Tartelette the other day!

According to Wiki, A Verrine is ‘a confection, originally from France, made by layering ingredients in a small glass. It can be either sweet or savoury, making a dessert or snack.’

Cool, huh? Reminds me of a parfait. I searched Verrine on google images and I was delighted to see soooo many Verrine pictures!

ver thumb   Light and Fresh Avocado Cream Verrines

I can see myself having a lot of fun with these! As you know, layering is totally my soft spot. ;)

The first thing you do is roast the peppers for about 40 minutes. I used 2 red peppers and some chopped onion.

IMG 4190   Light and Fresh Avocado Cream Verrines

Cook the quinoa on the stove top and just before everything is ready, make the avocado cream sauce.

IMG 4182   Light and Fresh Avocado Cream Verrines

IMG 4189   Light and Fresh Avocado Cream Verrines

Layer and serve!

This Verrine was DELICIOUS! I think I’m in love. :)

IMG 4207   Light and Fresh Avocado Cream Verrines

Enjoy your Saturday!

Bronwyn April 9, 2011

I have never heard of a verrines, but it looks delicious. Anything with advocado gets my vote!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 9, 2011

what a beautiful dish! :)

finding that breakfast dish that gives satiety until lunch is like finding the holy grail :P

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 9, 2011

So cool! I thought is was a overnight oats creation at first. :)

You could even do this large-scale for a gorgeous party dish. I love pretty food. *sigh*

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 9, 2011

The verrine looks lovely and delicious! I love the layered look :)

Radha April 9, 2011

I read your blog everyday. Love it. Love it when you tweet too. You continually inspire me to make vegan choices. I’d say I’m 98% vegetarian, and veganish…still like my dairy products and eggs. I have stopped eating most processed foods.
I am interested in your cereal creations. I love cold cereal with coconut or almond milk in the spring/summer.
I’m thinking a combo of spelt flakes and granola some chia thrown in…and what else??? It is fun to create!
Still loving the green monster in the afternoons. I take it to the office and have it about 3:30. Much better than a caffinated drink.
Thank you, Angela for your beautiful blog. <3

jenny April 9, 2011

I make my VOO in a little dish like that. It always feels so luxurious! I so want to try this…but it scares me!

Julie @ Shining From Within April 9, 2011

These look delicious! I’m on a real avocado kick lately. I bet the chocolate pudding from your chocolate torte would taste delish as dessert with some berries layered in!

Michelle | gold-hearted girl April 9, 2011

This is so unique! I love the idea. Avocado makes anything better, don’t you think? :)

Katie April 9, 2011

I love “layered” foods, too. There’s something inherently comforting about digging through all the layers. Yummy!

Grace April 9, 2011

I’ve never heard of a verrine before! It’s so pretty. I love that it’s like a salad triffle.

I can’t eat ceral for breakfast without feeling hungry soon afterwards. Your lunch looks DELICIOUS! Thank you for sharing.

Emily April 9, 2011

That’s gorgeous! Layered foods are so pretty. :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 9, 2011

You are the Queen of Layers! This looks so vibrant, and the different textures totally sell me on this one :)

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday April 9, 2011

This looks phenomenal. Is it served at room temperature? i love the colours and the layers.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2011

its served warm or room temp…mine was slightly warm :)

Shannon April 9, 2011

Looks very yummy. I think I am going to have to try that recipe soon!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 9, 2011

That IS disappointing about the cereal. It might be the exercise, or it might take a little more experimenting to find the right (if any) combination for your body.

That salad looks SO good, and thanks for the Verrines recipe! I’ve never even heard of that before!

michaela April 9, 2011

Have you tried make your own nuts or seeds milk?. I like raw homeade hemp milk, cause hemp seeds are pack with protein amino acid omega3,6 fatty acid etc. and you do not have to soak them. Simply blend hemp seeds water little vanila, stevia or date if you prefer sweet taste. I think hemp milk have more protein then soy milk and it is much healthier this unprocessed way.

Hannah April 9, 2011

That sucks about the cereal! I find that “thickening” things like kefir or yogurt help with satiety, but that’s hard to do if you are a vegan unless you like soy yogurt…blegh!

This avocado verrine looks so delish and beautiful!

Evan Thomas April 9, 2011

You hit the nail on the head with this one; fresh and light is just what I was thinking reading the recipe.

Camille April 9, 2011

Gorgeous! It looks so fresh and spring-like!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 9, 2011

The colors in that Verrine are so vibrant! It looks like it would be good as a dip too!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 9, 2011

Love the Verrine! Looks like a perfect combination of flavors and I’m a sucka for layering, too. :-)

carol April 9, 2011

This looks just gorgeous and I can’t wait to taste it!

Jennifer Merschel April 9, 2011

I love cereal, but for how many calories it has, it just never holds me over the way oats or even PB & toast does – even for the same amount of calories. I don’t get it.

I’m making that salad with the lentils and hummus for lunch. Looks so good!

Dana April 9, 2011

If you’re not opposed to having something savory in the morning, I’ve recently started eating lentils with onions spinach for breakfast, and it keeps me incredibly full in the mornings! I have a bowl of them at 7am and I’m completely full until I have lunch at 1. It’s just as easy as cereal too- I make a lot of them over the weekend and store them in a big tupperware. In the mornings I just add the spinach and put it in the microwave (but it’s really good cold too). It’s a great way to get lots of protein and nutrients in early in the day!

Baking 'n' Books April 9, 2011

Definitely looks like Spring food! I’ve never heard of a Verrine.Do you just eat it with a spoon?

I was wondering if you post on the same day or just do posts ahead of time. Like, your cereal yesterday posted – was that actually yesterday that you had it and “experimented” or earlier in the week?

Hope your back is getting better!

Reka April 9, 2011

I also looove layering and I get so excited about new type of foods that I’ve never heard of!! Thanks so much for posting it Angela. I can’t wait to try this. I think I even have some avocado on the bottom of my freezer! :) Better go! :))))

never not dreaming April 9, 2011

Lately I’ve just been grabbing large flour tortillas and smashing a whole avocado on them. Just as a random, out-of-the-blue snack. I have busy fingers considering all I do is sit on my bum.
Nice pictures.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe April 9, 2011

Gorgeous! I thought it was avocado-mint cream with strawberries at first!

kate@ahealthypassion April 9, 2011

How creative I never would have thought of this combo but it sounds amazing! Love avocados.

Kath April 9, 2011

You sound like me and my satiety studies. There is always a confounding variable!

Abby April 9, 2011

What a cute layered dish! :) Sounds like a great light and refreshing dish for spring and summer!!

leslie April 9, 2011

i love this idea so much!! the wheels in my head are literally whirling with the possibilities. thanks for the inspiration!

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 9, 2011

I love pretty colorful ‘parfait’ pictures! this verrine is creative and fresh lookin’!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 9, 2011

As far as cereal goes for me… I can add lots of protein, fiber and a moderate amout of healthy fat and I’m always hungry in a couple hours. I think my body has special enzymes to break down cereal super fast or something. lol.

Your verrine looks so vibrant and tasty. The beautiful colors make for a beautiful dish to look and… and then to EAT!

Ally April 9, 2011

I’m definitely the same way when it comes to cereal. Sometimes I really enjoy having it for breakfast but no matter how big I make the bowl or how many toppings I put on it, it’s always the same: I’m starving about 3 hours later! :( Oatmeal is awesome but for the summertime it’s not very conducive.

Moni'sMeals April 9, 2011

you put some love into that dish! the picture is just so FRESH! good reminder on verinne, your creation is amazing.

I agree, I love cereal, love love it, but never leaves me super full. :) oh well, same with frozen yogurt and that is why I get a LARGE.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 9, 2011

I’ve never even heard of a Verrine but it looks wonderful!

Cait's Plate April 9, 2011

HOLY YUM!!! That looks so delicious! I’m such a huge avocado fan (almost as much a fan of it as you are of layering!!) so I’d definitely love to try this out. Or any Verrine of some sort (perhaps with oatmeal, peanut butter and chocolate chips?! I’m drooling just thinking about it!)!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 9, 2011

LOL as soon as I saw the picture, i thought, that looks a bit like a savoury parfait… then saw your comment about the parfait. Great minds think alike I suppose!! They sounds lovely. I’m making a layered Mexican dip tonight.. which I suppose is just a much larger verrine!

Ashley April 9, 2011

I have never heard of that! Looks gorgeous and will be a definite must try! I’m wondering if the oats are slower to digest? I find when I eat farro porridge it doesn’t hold me over as long as oats, which don’t hold me over as long as buckwheat. Just thinking it could be some sort of digestion process thing. Although the working out could have done it too! ;)

Page 1 of 212»