Spring Clean Raw Beet, Carrot, and Apple Salad

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 30, 2011

IMG_3622

Hello, my name is Angela. It’s very nice to meet you.

Lately I’m enjoying…

• Sunshine
  • Walks around the neighbourhood
  • Bunny spottings
  • Epsom salt baths before bed
  • Homemade juice
  • Fresh hair do’s
  • Homemade Lemon Sugar Scrub on face and body
  • Purging unwanted household items for donation
  • Horses on the farm
  • Melting snow and peeking grass
  • Tea with girlfriends
  • Deep stretches
  • Anything no bake, especially date squares!
  • Colour on my plate and in my closet
  • Red and Gold BEETS

What are you enjoying lately?

This week, the sun is back and the temperature seems to be ever so slowly creeping upwards. Five degrees and sunshine? I’ll take it. And I’ll raise you 20 degrees. bahaha.

This better not be an April Fool’s joke because I’m finally ready for Spring…bring it on!

IMG_3582

Yesterday, I was in such good spirits, all I could think about was making an energizing raw salad to fit my mood. I always feel so uplifted when I eat salads, so I thought I could take it to a new level with this fun beet, carrot, and apple salad served over a bed of greens.

My relationship with beets growing up was a rocky one and I occasionally still have nightmares about the pseudo Jell-O canned beets my dad used to encourage me to try. Last year, I fell in love with beets when I started to juice with them. After juicing, I got a bit more daring and tried this amazing cooked beet salad at Karyn’s on Green in Chicago. Things have been going pretty well in our relationship, so I decided to put my fears aside and give a raw beet salad a shot! Who knows, maybe we’d take our relationship to a whole new level?

IMG_3626

This would be a good time to whip out those ginormous lunch lady gloves that are supposed to be a size ‘small’. ;)

IMG_3585

Creepy, yet functional. And no pink stained hands!

Oh…Eric tells me that I forgot to mention an OXO gadget yesterday. I did it on purpose because I never use this thing!

IMG_3589

Meet the Apple Slicer. Eric LOVES this gadget and I make fun of him for being too lazy to slice an apple. I mean, do we really need to save time slicing an apple? Are apples difficult to slice? I never see a need to use it, but he uses it all the time and constantly raves about it. I used it yesterday for this salad and I have to admit it was a bit fun. ;) Shhh don’t tell him I said that.

Sometimes I put produce stickers on it to annoy him. Remember, our war? It rages on my friends.

For this salad, you can grate everything by hand and kick it old school like I did or you can use a food processor if you have a grate attachment.

IMG_3600

Note to self: Figure out how to use processor grate attachment stat.

At the last minute, I mixed in a hefty portion of sesame seeds and some chopped almonds for some healthy fats and protein. The chopped almonds gave it a nice texture and crunch!

When I first tried this salad, I was not very impressed. It just tasted a bit off and the flavour wasn’t what I expected after using so many wonderful seasonings. I read the original recipe and I realized that it said to let the salad stand for about 30 minutes to let the flavours develop!

Ah, this made sense. And you know what? It rocked my world after letting it stand for about 30-40 minutes and it was even better several hours later when I had it with dinner. It was a bit sweet, a bit tangy, a bit spicy, and a bit garlicky. Somehow it just worked for me. I really had a kick to my step after eating this! I enjoyed it with an Ezekiel English muffin with hummus.

IMG_3628

I’m off to see my doctor about my tailbone. I am happy to report that my tailbone pain has improved quite a bit over the past several days. I’m doing lots of back stretches twice a day as well as Epsom salt baths and light walking. Sitting is not good for the back, so I have been trying to stay active on my feet and get up from the desk frequently to stretch. Today, I’m hoping to get the approval from the doc to do some non-impact elliptical exercise at the gym until I’m back to 100%. This girl needs to sweat!

Coming up: One of my favourite baked goods so far in 2011. They have no refined flour, no white sugar, no added fat, no soy, and can be made gluten-free to boot. :)

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com March 30, 2011 at 9:22 am

This looks so fresh, colorful and healthy! It’s just a shame I don’t like beets. ;)

jenna March 30, 2011 at 9:24 am

I LOVE beets!! this salad looks so vibrant and flavorful!! I hope your good mood vibes continue. :)

Andrea March 30, 2011 at 9:25 am

I’m loving the colours in this salad! It’s funny, my boyfriend and I have a produce sticker war going on as well – he sticks them to our kitchen backsplash and tries to see how many can accumulate before I get annoyed and rip them all down – his record is 4 and he thinks it’s hilarious lol.

CathyK March 30, 2011 at 9:35 am

oh, my fingers are crossed for you that you get the Elliptical OK, angela!
this sunshine-streak we’re on is glorious – it DOES raise the spirits!

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh March 30, 2011 at 9:35 am

I love beets! I used to be so afraid of them but now i can’t get enough of them! Especially the color! I’m so sorry bout your tailbone! That’s the worst pain when falling on ice. Trust me I have been there!

Lana March 30, 2011 at 9:36 am

Loving the surgeon glove! because otherwise it would look like you performed surgery on someone!! lol Looks delish!

Jackie @ Baking Charms March 30, 2011 at 9:36 am

Ooh just saw your link for the lemon sugar scrub :) I’m ready to make that ASAP! I love homemade beauty products.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm

it’s so easy + cheap…I love it!

Faith @ lovelyascharged March 30, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Same! I was hooked on the LUSH sea salt scrub but it’s SO expensive…a little salt + lime does the exact same thing in my opinion!

PB Addict March 30, 2011 at 9:36 am

Deep stretches are priceless :) This salad looks so refreshing!

Alex March 30, 2011 at 9:40 am

*gasp* I didn’t even know golden beet existed. Does it exist in the UK?! Must get down to wholefoods immediately…

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 30, 2011 at 9:40 am

That salad sounds delicious! One of my favourite things about spring is all the brightly coloured delicious produce. I just tried golden beets for the first time yesterday, but rather than eating them raw, I roasted them in the oven with some herbs, lemon juice and olive oil. (http://wp.me/pSUCS-1Rg) They were delicious! I am not a huge fan of purple beets because I find the taste is really strong, but the golden ones were great. I hope you have a great day Ange, and enjoy the sunshine!

RJ March 30, 2011 at 9:41 am

Raw beetroot is so tasty. It is very nice combined with orange juice and sunflower seeds too. Another of my faves is beetroot risotto. It looks so beautiful and tastes fantastic too. I use a recipe from food.com

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm

mmm those sounds wonderful. Sunflower seeds is a great idea too!

Danielle March 30, 2011 at 9:41 am

Dear Angela, Please make me this salad. I will be forever in your debt. Love, me :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I saw your Q about dandelion greens- I like to add some into my GM’s for a detoxifying effect!

Danielle March 30, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. Great idea!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey March 30, 2011 at 9:44 am

I love beets, but have always eaten them cooked. (I usually roast or boil them). But this looks delicious.

I’m definitely with you on the gloves! I pulled them out not too long ago to make Kimchi (and my hands STILL felt the burn!). They are laughably large on my hands too!

~

Alyssa March 30, 2011 at 9:46 am

He, he, he . . . that is to funny about the stickers and apple slicer. My husband is the same way. We got one of those way back when we got married and my husband thought it was the best thing. I was like. . .by the time you find that in the drawer I will have a apple all sliced and ready to go!

The salad looks amazing! I so wish that I wasn’t allergic to beets, I mean really who is allergic to beets? And I am one of those that has always loved them. I have faith though that some way I will conquer these dump allergies.

I hope your bum starts feeling better!

Baking 'n' Books March 30, 2011 at 11:42 am

Haha – most people wouldn’t care if they were allergic to vegetables! I think I’d die…;)

How do you know your allergic?

Love the positive list. I really wish I had a bath-tub to take a bath!! Grr – just a shower tub…

Alyssa March 30, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Well, I assume that I am allergic. Beets, spinach, broccoli, and sometime zucchini puts my stomach in such pain that I will get sick from the pain (if you know what I mean;). I have tried digestive enzymes and they help a little. The doctor said just don’t eat them. I have a hard time excepting that though. It just stinks because this is what I want to eat but junk food does just fine with my stomach(?). Like I said, one day I will figure it out, oh I will!

Baking 'n' Books March 30, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Oh I’m so sorry to hear that! Well – there are other veggies?! Hopefully they don’t all bother you. And hey – other foods aren’t junk!! There’s lots of good food besides veggies.

Chocolate inlcuded of course :)

Faith @ lovelyascharged March 30, 2011 at 9:48 am

I love those jello beets! Weird, I know!

I’ve been loving lentils, blueberry tea, the elliptical, Paramore and being a puppy momma!

Christina March 30, 2011 at 9:51 am

I’m not a fan of beets but I can definitely see myself making this with another type of veggie :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg March 30, 2011 at 9:53 am

I love the color of this salad! I don’t eat many beets which is too bad. I think they taste so good.

Good luck at the doctor today!

C March 30, 2011 at 9:55 am

I’m with your hubby on the apple slicer. Brilliant invention! My mom just gave me a large size version for doing melons :)

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious March 30, 2011 at 9:56 am

This salad looks awesome!! We had a few days of warm weather a couple of weeks ago and it’s made me crave raw veggies like crazy! I can’t wait to try this.

Shanna, Like Banana March 30, 2011 at 9:57 am

This salad screams fresh, clean, and healthy but oh so tasty. I’m intrigued by the apple/beet combo!

Katy @ A Healthy Shot March 30, 2011 at 10:00 am

I loooooooove beats & I can’t wait to try this salad! It looks so fresh & spring-y!

I’m loving the sunshine and skirts right now, even though it’s still just above freezing! Random odd confession: I am terrified of produce stickers. I remember my mom sticking a banana sticker on me when I was little and I absolutely freaked out… I think I was traumatized, and they’ve creeped me out ever since then. I still avoid them like the plague. ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:46 pm

haha that is random! they are quite creepy now that I think about it. LOL

AGS March 30, 2011 at 10:09 am

Wow. . . this makes me crave my usual raw salad for lunch today. Instead, I’ll be at a legislative luncheon, where some type of boring chicken or beef is sure to be on the menu (and I’ll be lucky if there’s a veg option. . .). I’ll make up for my missed salad at dinner, and follow it with some banana/cherry soft-serve to fill out my raw quota for the day. OK, now I have something to look forward to. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:46 pm

That sounds like a great plan!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 30, 2011 at 10:09 am

I forced myself to fall in love with beets when they became 50% of our CSA share at times last summer ;) It worked out really well; I found out I love them roasted, and that my husband makes a mean borscht! Haha. Actually quite delicious. Kind of how this salad looks :) Good luck with the doc today!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm

yes, we got a lot of beets in our CSA too! oodles and oodles.

Gail March 30, 2011 at 10:09 am

I LOVE my elliptical. It’s not 100% like running, but I find it’s close. I can really get my heart rate up there (more so than if I biked). I had to stop running due to my ankle, but the elliptical allows me to get a decent workout in (although I wish I could do it outside). Did you know that raising the incline doesn’t increase the intensity (like running uphill does), it just works different muscles in your leg. I didn’t know that until we bought one the the salesguy told us. Anyway, I hope your tailbone is better!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm

The elliptical is my favourite cardio machine! It will be nice for a change. :)

Tulika March 30, 2011 at 10:15 am

YES! This recipe looks amazing (mostly because beets are my faaavorite veggie!).

So glad to hear you are doing better…hopefully you get to hear some good news today!

Moni'sMeals March 30, 2011 at 10:19 am

so fresh and so clean!
I love the gloves. too cute you are!

Amber K March 30, 2011 at 10:20 am

lol, I use my apple slicer daily! In fact, I got so tired of having to clean it constantly that I bought a second one so that I always have one that’s clean. I love that it gives uniform slices and takes like two seconds!

I wish I could like having salads more often. I don’t know what combinations do it, but for some reason it’s just not filling, even though I add plenty of fat, protein and fiber. Something about eating “just” a salad makes my stomach burn a little. Ugh.

I hope the doctor can give you some answers for your poor tailbone. And can I just say again how amazing those date bars are! I had to give the rest of the batch to my friend because I don’t think eating three bars for lunch was my best idea ;)

Amber K March 30, 2011 at 10:21 am

Although after eating them, I did have a TON of energy that I burned off at the gym.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:49 pm

haha nice :) I had to make a second batch this week! I was in withdrawal. they make a great dessert bar too.

I hear you about salads not being filling. I always have my salad with something else, in this case an English muffin slathered in hummus did the trick til snacktime :)

Amber K March 30, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Oh what a good idea! A nice slice of Udi’s bread with some hummus sounds really good right now.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 30, 2011 at 10:22 am

“Note to self: Figure out how to use processor grate attachment stat.” So do I !! Not sure why in the 3 years of having my wonderful and helpful food processor I have never bothered to learn how to use any of the attachments ?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:49 pm

haha Glad im not the only one…I tried to put it together and failed. I was like ‘am I missing a part or something???’ lol, it did not seem right what I did so I gave up and used some elbow grease ;)

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 30, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I did the SAME THING LOL LOL! ;D …couldn’t get the thing to fit together right, so was forced to elbow grease it … I really need to figure that darn thing out one of these days.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 9:12 pm

hahaha where is that damn manual when you need it???

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 30, 2011 at 10:35 am

That is so beautiful! And it looks delicious. :)

Lesley Lifting Life March 30, 2011 at 10:36 am

That beet salad looks very refreshing, and so colorful!

Jenn from Much to My Delight March 30, 2011 at 10:46 am

Holy gorgeous pictures. You never cease to amaze me with the beauty of your photographs. Those colors are a balm to my weary eyes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:50 pm

thank you!!

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch March 30, 2011 at 10:49 am

That golden beet looks gorge! I actually saw those for the first time the other day and thought to myself, “Self, I want to make something with that.”

Then bam, you hit me with this recipe!

Heather (heathers dish) March 30, 2011 at 10:59 am

This is such a beautiful salad! I just with I liked raw beets, but maybe mixes with apples and carrots they wouldn’t be so bad :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:50 pm

the apple is key!

Sarah @ becoming-sarah March 30, 2011 at 11:01 am

What a refreshing sounding recipe! I absolutely adore beets so I can’t wait to try this recipe. Also, might I recommend that anyone with a penchant for beets read “Jitterbug Perfume” by Tom Robbins as it opens with the most beautiful ode to the beet that I could ever imagine.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 30, 2011 at 11:02 am

I love beets and sesame seeds compliment them so well

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey March 30, 2011 at 11:16 am

Glad you’re feeling better!

This salad looks absolutely lovely. I know what you mean about the apple slicer… I never use mine either. I prefer tinier slices so it takes me longer to eat the apple. I do use my mango slicer, though! A friend gave me one for my bday last year.

The sticker thing made me giggle. :)

[email protected] March 30, 2011 at 11:21 am

OMG I JUST BOUGHT A BEET! Now I know how to use it wooooooo thanks :)

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy March 30, 2011 at 11:25 am

Mm, it’s been a while since I’ve had beets and now I’m craving them! :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 30, 2011 at 11:44 am

The salad is so pretty!!! I feel like a bad food blogger admitting this-but I’ve never actually tried beets! I always just imagine them being bitter.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I think many people haven’t tried them before….I always thought they were gross! It’s a taste you develop overtime I think :)

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe March 30, 2011 at 11:47 am

That is gorgeous! It might even get me to like beets being that pretty!

Roz March 30, 2011 at 11:51 am

Great idea on the gloves. I grated some beets a couple of weeks ago, and wow…were my hands stained.

Kristi @ KristiAteIt March 30, 2011 at 11:55 am

I am always nervous to buy beets because I don’t want to deal with the staining. I just may try this recipe out though (with gloves on of course!!!). Good luck @ the doctors! Hope you hear some great news.

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner March 30, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I can’t stop eating beets! I just discovered them somehow a few months ago and they’re SO. GOOD. My husband makes fun of me because I constantly have beets on my plate and every time we’re in the store, I sneak over and grab a bunch :)

emma March 30, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Your photography is truly beautiful Angela….and I love your list. I’ve been enjoying time off work, walks with the pup, running in the sun, reading, spring sounds, being at home when my man comes in from work :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Thanks Emma. Love your list…Spring sounds are the best!

Carly March 30, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I just had beets for the FIRST time yesterday!! Where have they been all my life?!
This recipe is on my “need to make ASAP” list.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 30, 2011 at 12:28 pm

That salad is gorgeous. I love the colors! Unfortunately – try as I might – I cannot get into beets. Don’t you hate when you know something is good for you (not to mention pretty in dishes!) but you just don’t care for it?!

Good luck with your tail end! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 12:52 pm

yes I feel that way with swiss chard!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 30, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I love love looove beets – I love them roasted the most!

Cindy Robinson March 30, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I’m embarassed to say, I’ve only had the canned/jarred beets. But looks like the fresh kind might be in my future, I love trying new foods!
Yes, you must learn to use your grater attachment on your food processor. I never knew how the heck to use those “extra attachements” that just got in my way all the time when pulling mine out. But I shredded a whole block of cheese in 5 seconds flat the other day, it was awesome!
Good luck today :)

[email protected] March 30, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Yum! I bet I’d love that salad :-)

Marina March 30, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I love beets, and I can’t wait to make this! Maybe stuffing it into a wrap with hummus!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 30, 2011 at 1:19 pm

i’m afraid of beets too! but i do often like them when they are shredded, so maybe i wil like this recipe!

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) March 30, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Mmmmmm I love beets :)

Michelle @ Lifewithacrazypup March 30, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I need to grow some big girl balls and try some beets! I have no idea where to start and if I’d like them! Time to change that!!

Sophia @ Raven Waves March 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I haven’t seen any bunnies yet! I’m on the lookout though! Once I see them then spring really has arrived!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 30, 2011 at 1:55 pm

That apple slicer would be my bf’s favorite too. He’s totally like that. I’m diggin’ this salad! I’ve made something similar and used it as a sandwich filling with veganaise. I hope your Dr lets you get back to a bit of exercise, I can only imagine how stir crazy you must be getting!

[email protected] March 30, 2011 at 2:00 pm

i’ve been craving beets so bad lately!! that’s it! i’m goin’ to buy some today! :D

Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm

That salad looks absolutely gorgeous! I love beets – can’t wait to make this salad!

kaila @ healthy helper! March 30, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Oh yum…I love beets! Especially when roasted….but this salad looks delicious! Tons of fun flavors in there to compliment the beets.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 30, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Epsom salt baths are a great way to incorporate more magnesium into our bodies which most of us are chronically depleted from (kind of like Vit D, too) – from stress, exercise, toxins, illness, caffeine, etc. It all depletes Mag. And epsom salts are one great way to add it back in…and the benefit is muscles that function better, better sleep, better digestion, and more. Sorry for that trivia :)

I love beets! And ALWAYS wear gloves when I work with them too. Bloody looking hands for days just isn’t cool otherwise :)

Great photos, as per usual.

And the next recipe that’s a 2011 fave? Can’t wait!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I didnt know that about epsom salts! I do take a msg supplement though and I love it!

AGS @ West With Flight March 30, 2011 at 3:38 pm

More trivia: cooking your food in a cast iron skillet contributes to your iron intake.

Love&hope March 30, 2011 at 3:00 pm

WOW!!! That looks amazing! All the beautiful bright colors remind me of spring.(can’t wait) Plus I’ve always loved beets, even if their just plain old boiled in the pot, there a great munchy when you want to feel refreshed! Hope it works out at the doctors!

Vanessa @ Project Zen March 30, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Apples can be challenging to slice, lol. Or maybe I’m just a tiny girl at 103 pounds, lol. I always use an apple slicer so I’m no stranger to that funky object above! ;)

Thanks for the delicious salad recipe though! Everything looks clean, organic and tasty – my kind of good eats!

Have a good one Angela,

Vanessa

Sharon March 30, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I’ve only had beets a few times many many years ago… and uh, not impressed. However, I was like 7 and I’m pretty sure they were frozen (thawed of course) or from a can. I think it’s time to redintroduce these (fresh) babies. I would love to try them in a juicer, they make everything such a pretty color!

Kristy H March 30, 2011 at 4:01 pm

yummm! that beet salad looks delish, what an amzing colour! wish i could have a big plate for my breakfast this morning. Thanks for another great recipe thats so clean, as for the produce stickers, my partner had about 50 stuck to his fridge when i moved in a year ago, they are still there even though i am dying to remove them lol.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm

lol nice!!! u should send them to the produce sticker collector http://fruitstickers.xost.ru/ bahahahaa

lauren @ spiced plate March 30, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Oh my, how I adore beets and their cleansing properties — what a lovely salad!

Caz March 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I love raw beets grated into salads but I’m not sure if I’d like an ENTIRE salad of raw beets. It seems a little intense for me. That being said, I have a fridge full of beets that are desperately in need of using up so maybe I’ll try it. Does letting the salad sit for a bit reduce the bite of the raw beets?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 9:17 pm

It does slightly I think. Also the beauty of it is that you could add as much or as little grated beet as you prefer! Totally versatile :)

Sam @ the neurotic yogini March 30, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Such a beautiful salad! Looks delish and perfect for spring!! :D

Alexa @ Simple Eats March 30, 2011 at 5:32 pm

This looks so clean and fresh. I’m definitely feeling the whole “eat with your eyes first” thing here! Gorgeous!

Olya March 30, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Beautiful pictures! I enjoy the chill of approaching winter. It means lots of hot soups, warm blackets and the smell of fire in the fireplace. I enjoy being back to uni after such a long break.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 9:16 pm

mmm fireplace smells…makes me want to have one last fire this season!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 30, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I don’t think my parents ever tried to feed me canned beets as a kid, so luckily I don’t have any bad memories of them haha. :P I tried them (fresh) on a whim last summer though and I totally fell in love with them. I’m definitely going to have to try this salad!

Kristina March 30, 2011 at 5:53 pm

What vibrant colors, it is almost too pretty to eat! Beautiful pictures Angela!

Hilary March 30, 2011 at 5:58 pm

That salad looks delicious and gorgeous! I love beets too but sometimes it’s hard to find the other colours!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 30, 2011 at 6:22 pm

What a beautiful salad! How neat that waiting 30 minutes completely changed the taste… I agree that it makes sense though. Wonderful mix!

Audrey March 30, 2011 at 6:36 pm

That salad is gorgeous–great photos!

We have one of those apple slicer things and I don’t like it (may have something to do with the fact that I once got cut removing it from the dishwasher) but my dad and brothers do. I think guys just like gadgets.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 9:15 pm

heh yea I think they do too. It’s like a cheap tool they can afford to ‘make’ something with. Ouch I wouldnt want to get cut by it either!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 30, 2011 at 7:10 pm

oh my – this looks amazing!

hope the tailbone feels better soon!

rebecca lustig March 30, 2011 at 7:14 pm

SEriously, I just adore you. Your recipes, your mind, your body and your SOUL. You are the epitome of someone who is truly LIVING.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Awww thank you Rebecca!

Zestful Lou March 30, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. Can I just thank you 1,000 times for this recipe. I just got beets in my CSA box and I had NO IDEA what to do with them. I see a sunny Saturday and a raw beet salad in my future. :-D

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Enjoy!

Hannah March 30, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I’m enjoying… challenging full-time work that uses my skills as a researcher and writer. Well, most of the time I’m enjoying it. Right now I just want to go home and bake.

LOVE raw beet(root)! Shall be making this soon :)

Ann Choe March 30, 2011 at 9:20 pm

For dinner today i had a beet salad too and it was ahhh-mazing. I ate it with spinach, red onion, raw mushrooms, cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots naan croutons with polenta cakes and drizzled salsa on top. It was yum! I will try it with apples and grate the beets and carrots next time and your dressing is soo simple and sounds delicious! Thank you.

Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc March 30, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I love the colour of this salad. It is simple too pretty. Oh…your upcoming recipe sounds awesome! I’m waiting in anticipation!

Sarah March 30, 2011 at 9:36 pm

This looks super delicious!! I’m going to have to make this ASAP. It’s like a spring refreshing salad and super lovely :)

Kate @the pseudovegan March 30, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I completely fell in love with beets after I got over my fear of their exterior! Now, I roast them, juice them, grate them over salads. They top my list of favorite veggies, right next to kale! :) check out my blog for a beet-veggie-burger recipe! http://thegfpseudovegan.blogspot.com/2011/03/still-cold-still-craving-winter-veggies.html

Annette @ EnjoyYOURHealthyLife March 30, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I love my apple slicer :) It is not lazy at all-it is resourceful!! haha

Ashley March 30, 2011 at 11:31 pm

OH my my…that LAST photo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ali March 31, 2011 at 12:18 am

With all this talk of beets, I can’t help but be reminded of Dwight from the Office :D

Tiina McKay March 31, 2011 at 2:49 am

Delicious! However, I did add some sesame seed oil because it just sounded soo good at the time I made it, and I just added some of Gena’s cashew cream (http://www.choosingraw.com/roasted-cauliflower-and-parsnip-soup/) since it was sitting next to the salad in the fridge when I went to grab it and Oh My Gosh,… I can’t get enough of this Yumminess!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 31, 2011 at 8:05 am

yum sounds great!

tweal March 31, 2011 at 7:07 am

I am slowly starting to like beets. Juice is ok, and cooked beets are all right too. One day I might love them. Maybe this salad will help?

Leslie Paquette March 31, 2011 at 7:36 am

That looks delicious! I think this would be the perfect opportunity to figure out how to use the shredder attachment on my food processor. Can’t be that difficult, right?? Love the lunch lady gloves, lol. By the way, I brought the No Bake Date Squares into work and everyone LOVED them. I think I loved them the most which is why I had to bring them to work or I probably would have eaten the entire batch.

thehealthyapron March 31, 2011 at 8:13 am

I only recently fell in love with beets. I roasted them and they were incredible. And then I started juicing with them and I liked em even more! I has some on my salad at WF last weekend and another positive experience! This looks super fresh too! I will have to try it! I always love your suggestions angela!

M March 31, 2011 at 8:52 am

Angela,
just wanted to share one of my latests treats-yum!

I saute lots of bits of kale in a little olive oil,
add sriracha to taste ( and sometimes a little maple syrup)and then
top it with crunchy organice peanut butter -which melts into the
kale and tastes AMAZING with the spicy sriracha,crunchy pb
and beautiful kale.

I hope you try this….I will keep reading to see :)

Bon appetit!

Lauren March 31, 2011 at 11:00 am

I just so happened to have all the ingredients at home so I made this salad for dinner last night. So good mixed with cold quinoa and garbanzo beans!

Nienke at Revel March 31, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Oh Angela I just LOVE the list of things you are enjoying lately! And your pics are totally beautiful :)

C’mon spring, hurry up so that we can enjoy you even more!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 31, 2011 at 9:55 pm

YAY for Sugar Scrubs! I make my own Sugar scrub for my face by just adding a little sugar to my face wash! Works like wonders! :D

Johanna GGG April 1, 2011 at 7:56 am

I know I would love this salad because my favourite juice is apple beetroot and carrot – ABC – I even don’t bother about getting beetroot juice on my hands – it washes out quickly enough – enjoy the sunshine!

Susan April 2, 2011 at 9:59 am

Hi Angela — I discovered your blog just a short time ago and absolutely love it . . . just tried this raw beet salad yesterday and can’t believe how good it was!! Even my (very non-veg!) family loved it :-) . . . I was vegan for all of last year and then went back to being “just vegetarian” but your blog has inspired me to think about returning . . . I missed the way I felt eating that way (I think I’m suffering from dairy “sludge” once again :-) Thanks for all the great recipes and inspiration!

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) April 5, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I just made this and OH WOW! Amazing!!!! :) Thanks for sharing :)

Liz April 14, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Thanks for this recipe – I made it for lunch today and it rocked my world too! I made a few adjustments – I used only red beets because that was all I had on hand, and I subbed in pumpkin seeds and chopped pecans for some of the sesame seeds and almonds, and roasted all the nuts and seeds first. It was so delicious! :-)

Sarah April 16, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I loved this! My husband, who mainly likes vegetables in cooked form and hates sweet things, actually really liked this! I think the key is that it’s a very balanced salad – a little tangy, a little salty and a little sweet. Plus great textures!

raechel April 19, 2011 at 5:15 pm

This was delicious! I ended up getting very large beets, so it was a *big* batch, and I still had tons left over, even after serving it at a small dinner party. Because I didn’t think beets would freeze well, I decided to add it to a pretty standard lunch I make, and the results were amazing! I took a version of my quick quinoa salad (quinoa, tahini, olive oil, salt, red pepper) w/ any green veggie (broccoli, peas and spinach are my go-tos), and then just added in the beet salad! SO YUMMY!

After discovering your website through the CLEAN diet community, I have been a daily follower…Thanks so much for your daily glow!

Catherine May 29, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Angela, I made this the other day and thought it was great! I loved the dressing instantly. My husband thought it was yummy, too. Perfect for hot weather when I don’t feel like turning the oven on. Now all I have to do is get some plastic gloves like you!

Kristinae June 10, 2012 at 3:33 pm

As a variation, I would use orange juice, ginger, and sesame oil. It was very tasty with garlic.

Dalia September 1, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I’m late to the party, but boy was this great! Made it this morning and added a bit of OJ since we regularly enjoy beets with oranges and make a summer shaved carrot, cinnamon and fresh orange juice salad.

Mathilda February 21, 2013 at 4:15 pm

This salad is so delicious!
I used to work in a resturant and we had root beets laying around and nobody used them. I had made this salad before at home and loved it, so I asked my supervisor if I could try make it and so I did!
My co-workers and supervisor found it good – so good that they wanted the recipe!
You’d be happy to know that they serve this salad in a resturant somewhere in southern Sweden ;)

Joan October 8, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Hey Angela, I’ve been enjoying trying out your recipes like the sweet potato lentil salad, chia pudding etc so I was really excited to try this one out. But for some reason it didn’t work out as well. I found the garlic rather overpowering (even though I usually love garlic) and also the dressing proportion didn’t seem like it was close to being enough for the amount of veges that you stated. I know you said to adjust dressing to taste, but I was unsure where to start because it just seemed like it was way too little dressing to begin with. Would you have any advice on this? btw, instead of serving it over greens, I decided to serve it with some sprouted lentils. I’m not sure if that affects anything. Thanks so much for your advice and for your wonderful recipes.

Danny January 4, 2016 at 11:37 pm

The garlic aftertaste is one for the g lovers. Otherwise it is up to individual taste. Play with it. Experiment. That’s the beauty of cooking. Every dinner is a chemistry experiment that enlivens the senses. I love it!

Ealla April 28, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I made this except I shaved everything and tossed it in some dressing individually, then I plated it together, it looked so beautiful and tasted even better.

Danny January 4, 2016 at 11:35 pm

Great recipe. A few changes since I only had red beets. But the mix was oh so good served over spinach with a side of lightly fried kielbasa sausage. And a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon put the proverbial icing on the cake! Thank you.

Paxie December 2, 2016 at 7:44 am

Hi … Please tell if I can replace the apples with pears and honey for maple syrup? Will it make it too sweet? P