Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

IMG 3157   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

March 23, 2010 (FL vacation)

IMG 99151   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

IMG 95371   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOOIMG 9593   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOOIMG 9609   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOOIMG 9625   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOOIMG 3323 2   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOOIMG 0105 2   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOOIMG 9135   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOOV0011167   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOOIMG 9705   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOODSC 6786   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOOIMG 2867   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOOIMG 3054   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOOIMG 9481   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOOIMG 9482   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOOIMG 9961   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

March 23, 2011 (Southern Ontario)

IMG 9952   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

If you woke up to snow this morning, I feel your pain!

That is a tough pill to swallow.

IMG 9923   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

IMG 9925   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

If you squint your eyes really small, you can see the beach and sunshine. I’m lounging with a margarita off in the distance! Cool, huh?

IMG 9949   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

And because I’m apparently a 90 year old lady, I slipped on the driveway this morning while shoveling and bruised my tailbone! I’m sitting here with a big bag of ice on my bum, sipping hot tea in front of the space heater.

If you think about it, I’m pretty much in Florida right now. And I think I would fit right in with the elderly and their dog strollers.

I’ve always wanted a Cadillac.

IMG 3107   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

IMG 31031   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

The great thing about this recipe is that you could pretty much clean out your fridge and use whatever you have and it would still turn out. :) I didn’t have any green beans or apple as in Kath’s recipe, so I just used what I had. Be sure to check out her recipe too!

I came up with 1 orange pepper, 1.25 sweet potato, 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, couple handfuls spinach.

The dressing ingredients: EVOO, pure maple syrup, Dijon mustard, black pepper, balsamic vinegar, S + P.

IMG 3113   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

My version included onion! ;)

IMG 3114   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

Get your sauté on.

IMG 3119   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

Add in the cooked lentils.

IMG 3120   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO IMG 3122   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

And in the roasted sweet potatoes.

IMG 3125   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

And mix everything in!

IMG 3133   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

Despite the frightful weather we are experiencing, this really is a lovely dish for Spring!

Light, fresh, and energizing!

IMG 3152   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

I’m also rocking a new bowl of Vegan Overnight Oats this week.

IMG 3166 2   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

Delicious! Cookie dough and doughy oats are a match made in heaven.

IMG 3163   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

According to this mug, I should book a tropical vacation today… ;)

IMG 3169   Sweet Potato and Lentil Salad + Cookie Dough VOO

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 23, 2011

Yum! I love sweet potato and lentil salad recipe. That looks delicious! I always worry that my sweet potatoes are too mushy and wouldn’t hold up to a salad. I’ll have to try it sometime and get over my fear. :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 23, 2011

Yum! I just posted about a lentil salad that I made with artichoke hearts….sweet potatoes would be a delicious addition!

JT March 23, 2011

I, along with many other Canadians, am sick of the snow. Officially. I very rarely complain about winter, (after all, I am in AB) but this is getting ridiculous! I am on the countdown for a Mexican vacation (7 sleeps!) and seeing as how I am solar powered, I am hoping to recharge my batteries :)

The salad looks great, will be trying it for sure!!!!

Hope you feel better later!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 23, 2011

Please take me with you! lol

Tyrah March 23, 2011

yum lentils and sweets =)

I nominated you for a blog award, I love reading and wanted to say thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 23, 2011

Thank you! :) Will check it out.

Elizabeth March 23, 2011

I feel your pain. I awoke this morning (outside philadelphia) to snow, which has now turned into a gray, cold, miserable rain. ugh! But your dish looks quite cheerful. :-)

Jackie @ Baking Charms March 23, 2011

I’m moving to the GTA in a few months from North Carolina and the weather is the only thing that has me a little bit sad!!! Keep warm! :)

Tessa @ Amazing Asset March 23, 2011

Gahh, slipping on the snow/ice is never fun! It is even worse when someone sees you and you have to act like it was no big deal, no matter how much pain you’re in! Haha
Lentils + Sweet potatoes are among my favorite ingredients, I will definitely be trying this recipe out once I am home from school and have a place to cook in! Thanks for the recipe :)

Jenny March 23, 2011

Both of these recipes look heavenly! The lentil salad looks so simple yet SO satisfying!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 23, 2011

Cookie dough with breakfast? LOVE Hope your tail bone feels better!

Stephanie @ LiveCookLove March 23, 2011

I need to make that sweet potato and lentil salad stat!! Another great creation!

Hannah March 23, 2011

I live in Rochester, and pretty much follow the same weather pattern that you get in Toronto! I was willing to accept it early this morning, but only if it stopped at a light dusting….but it looks like its gonna keep going!!! Argg lake effect snow!! Oh well, it will only make us appreciate the warmer weather more!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 23, 2011

yea I know what you mean, it’s going strong here!

Anastasia March 23, 2011

Ooh, the sweet potato lentil recipe looks amazing! It is an excellent spring dish and fortunately we are having spring big time here in Tennessee. I hope it heads your way soon!

Destini March 23, 2011

This will be my dinner tonight!!! I live in Winnipeg and we are slooooowllly getting rid of our snow. Please don’t send it back here =p

Ashley March 23, 2011

I woke up to snow as well, though I’m on the West Coast of the US– meaning it will probably melt in a couple of days! It was seriously 70 degrees last week.
I love the coffee mug– where’d you get it?
I slipped on ice last year and ended up giving myself a concussion! It was a pretty painful sight– I actually tried to make it through my classes at university before trekking up to the student medical center. I was seeing stars!
This recipe looks delish! I hope you feel better soon– maybe the sun will come out for ya!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 23, 2011

I’ve had a concussion from slipping on the road too…and nearly got hit by a car! It is never fun to fall.

The mug is from Indigo book store. The mug is actually by a company called ‘Quotable mugs’ Their website is here: http://www.quotablecards.com

Ashley March 23, 2011

I hate it– I never suffered from migraines before that fall! The doc told me then that it was minor, no harm really done, but my balance is still off, and get headaches a lot more:( No fun! Thanks for the website info!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 23, 2011

Yes I woke up to snow :( I was not excited to drive to work this morning — hopefully the commute home isn’t too bad — I am such a nervous driver as is, throw snow in the mix and I’m a ball of nerves!

Angela the sweet potato salad looks delicious — and so do the Cookie Dough VOO!!! Those cookie dough bites look incredible.

Holly @ The Runny Egg March 23, 2011

Holly @ The Runny Egg March 23, 2011

Eek, sorry about the double post!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious March 23, 2011

I am going to totally love this salad – I’ve been using sweet potatoes and lentils alot this winter!!

I love that you are crushing on cookie dough lately. Your smoothie and VOO looks so good – doesn’t anything with cookie dough bits in it?!?

Lesley Lifting Life March 23, 2011

I think I’m a 90 year old lady too, I ALWAYS fall at least once during winter. I hope your snow melts very soon … unfortunately, I think I’m going to get some of that again soon too!

Jessica @ Dishin' About Nutrition March 23, 2011

Fun pics and awesome recipes! I added these to my to-try list and posted your link on my blog :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 23, 2011

Sorry about your bum! True story, I broke mine while trying to kick my leg over the top of a shopping cart handle…and falling hard on the grocery store cement floor. (I know, I was a brilliant 13 year old…ha) And now, my tailbone is crooked. All that to say — tailbone hurt, I feel your pain, and hope it feels better soon! :)

Lovely lentil and sweet potato blend! And would you look at that, we have some leftover lentils…hmm…

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 23, 2011

ouch!!! That sounds painful. Did you have to get physical therapy for it?

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 23, 2011

It hurt, but not like breaking most bones would. Just sore. No physical therapy or anything; in fact, at first they told me it was just bruised! Once it “healed” crooked, I was pretty sure they were wrong ;) Apparently because your coccyx is a series of tiny vertebrae, if it breaks, they fuse together. And thus it’s easier for it to become crooked. So weird. But now I have a random fun fact about myself, I suppose? ;) Hope you’re feeling better soon!

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch March 23, 2011

Do you know if you can sub in regular milk on most of your recipes?

I am feelin ya on desperately wanting/needing a nice tropical vacation. Hope you heal quickly!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 23, 2011

Yup Im pretty sure any milk would work!

Lana March 23, 2011

The lentil salad looks soooo good and easy!! I’m going to have to remember this one…

Moni'sMeals March 23, 2011

Both of these meals look beyond comforting! I am on it…love the taste of Spring.

I love the comparison of last year and this year, I remember your posts too from that trip!
Soon that snow will be GONE!

Alaina March 23, 2011

I live by that quote on the mug. Have ever since I graduated high school.

Booo to snow. I can’t wait for the spring! :-)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 23, 2011

Sorry about the tailbone… I’ve definitely had a few bad spills on my butt! It HURTS! Hope that snow/ice melt for you ASAP! I’m sure you’ll be able to keep the energy up with those fabulous recipes. :)

Katy @ A Healthy Shot of Life March 23, 2011

Ugh, I feel your pain! Monday- flip flops, Today- snow. Sorry to hear about your tailbone :(

I just recently bought dried lentils and I’ve been looking for a recipe- I’ve been eating them with a little lemon juice, EVOO, avocado and cilantro…a bit bland. I’ll have to try out your recipe!!

AGS March 23, 2011

Torture (noun) — the sensation Ange must have experienced while comparing her two photo collages.

Comfort (noun) — the realization that at least you can still have good food, no matter the environs.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 23, 2011

haha yes!!

AGS March 23, 2011

P.S. If you make your banana soft-serve with rum (instead of almond milk), that is also comforting. I mean, it comforted me when I was thinking back to my last excursion to the beach.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 23, 2011

I think I will have to make a Margarita version ;)

faith @ lovelyascharged March 23, 2011

Don’t get too jealous…its chilly(ish) and kind of overcast in orlando this morning. Ah well…I suppose that’s better than doggish heat!

Shanna, Like Banana March 23, 2011

Oh man, that would be a tough pill to swallow! I feel your pain…Cali has been swamped with downpours for over a week and I am in desperate need of sun and warmth!

Baking 'n' Books March 23, 2011

I heard CA was going a lot of wet weather.

I’ve often wondered if I’d rather have snow or rain – thought about moving out West to B.C or something….rain seems better than scraping shovels of snow off your car and the cold…but it can also be depressing?

Hmm. Win-Lose either way :)

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh March 23, 2011

Holy Snow!! Definitely a change from the previous year! I have some lentils AND sweet potatoes in my fridge..this recipe is calling my name! :)

Jenn from Much to My Delight March 23, 2011

Yup, snowing (very lightly) in New York too. Good news for you is how adorable you look in yoru snow-gear! That recipe seems like a nice season-transition dish; the orange sweet potato and maple syrup remind me of fall/winter while the bright spinach gives me hope for the emergence of fresh greens!

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com March 23, 2011

Love the lentil salad! These are some of my fave foods all in one dish. Yum! I too store my lentils in mason jars. Awesome! :)

Sam @ the neurotic yogini March 23, 2011

Those cookie dough balls look so good! Gonna have to try this soon. Mmm!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 23, 2011

It’s official: I am now starving. Both of these recipes look so so good!!! I hope your tailbone is ok. This snow is brutal…. I’m hoping it melts by the end of the week. We’re almost in April for heaven’s sake!

Mackenzie @ Eat. Exercise. Evolve March 23, 2011

I wanted to let you know that I’ve had two green monsters this week! The one this morning was DIVINE. *And* my fiance has made it a permanent breakfast! Gasp! Thanks for making it easier to give him fruits and veggies. :) Loved the idea of adding chia to it too.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 23, 2011

Glad you enjoy the GM’s!

Carly March 23, 2011

I’m so sad about your snow! Should I tell you that it is supposed to reach 15 degrees out West today?

jenna March 23, 2011

oh my heavens!! I’m sending you sunshine vibes!! I couldn’t handle another snow storm this year thats for sure!! I hope it gets warm for you soon, dear!

what an awesome breakfast!!! yumo!! :)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans March 23, 2011

The snow was not a pleasant sight at all this morning but hopefully its winter’s last hooray for the season!

JL Goes Vegan March 23, 2011

Sigh. I just returned from sunny Florida Sunday night. Monday morning it snowed. :(

I think lentils and sweet potatoes are destined to be together! The spinach takes it over the top. Anxious to try this recipe!

Emily March 23, 2011

Yikes! I hope your tailbone feels better, I hurt mine once via an awesome skiing wipeout… It felt like it took forever to heal!

And those oats… YUM. Anything with cookie dough looks amazing to me.

Page 1 of 3123»