Spring Fever Lemon Dill Hummus

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 20, 2011

You know it must be Spring when Woody The Woodpecker comes out of hiding!

IMG_3090

Beautiful!!  We see a lot of these woodpeckers during the Spring and Summer months in our backyard.

Male Pileated Woodpeckers have a red stripe from their bill outward, while female Pileated Woodpeckers do not, but both the male and females have the red crest on top of their heads. We aren’t sure if this one is a male or female because it is a bit hard to make out in the picture whether this one has a red stripe from the bill. It looks like it does, but I’m not positive. Anyone know? I had to zoom in this photo a lot and unfortunately the quality isn’t that great!

IMG_3097

Yesterday, Eric and I had Spring Fever pulsing through our veins and we went on three walks! It wasn’t even warm out, but we just needed to get in the sunshine and feel it on our faces. I’m pretty sure our neighbours think we are crazy, although I’m sure they have known for a while after seeing me take pictures of my food all last summer.

The conclusion: I really love walking and I don’t do it enough! It also seemed to help the horrible cramps I had yesterday too.

IMG_3099

When we returned, a plate full of freshness was just what the Doctor ordered.

IMG_3055

And then I fell asleep at 8:30pm on the couch, stumbled up to bed at midnight, and woke up just after 7am. I guess my body needed one last hibernation for the Winter? At any rate, I feel like a new girl today.

IMG_3061

The fresh dill I bought from the grocery store just keeps on ticking. Luckily, it seems to be keeping quite fresh in the crisper. I have had lemon dill hummus on my mind all week long, so I used my Favourite Hummus recipe and added a bunch of fresh dill to it.

IMG_2179

Spring Fever Lemon Dill Hummus

You simply prepare the hummus according to the directions here and add in the minced dill and process it some more until combined. Easy peasy!

It turned out great with a very fresh dill flavour. Two thumbs up!

IMG_3063

We are off for our first hike of the season today. I wish it was warmer out (it’s about –4C right now), but we’ll have to bundle up and make do. I’ll bring the camera along and hopefully we will see some fun creatures out and about celebrating the first day of Spring!

Peggy @ freshnutrition.net March 20, 2011 at 8:59 am

Yummy hummus!! I love to have different types of hummus in my back pocket.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 20, 2011 at 9:02 am

I have been LOVING all of the birds that have come out in our yard in recent weeks! Outside of my office window, I have a ledge that I fill with birdseed, and I could watch them for hours! It’s not very conducive to getting work done though, ha!

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 20, 2011 at 9:03 am

fresh dill is so good, and definitely has a great fresh flavor! i never thought to add it to hummus, but i’ve been craving the homemade stuff so i’ll have to hit that up :)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 20, 2011 at 9:04 am

What a beautiful sign of spring with the woodpecker! And I completely agree on the walking… something about the warm weather makes it THAT much easier to get out for a walk. I have loved walking for years and put in the effort to go for one every day.

Such a great use of that dill! Fabulous photos!

xxoo
Heather

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 20, 2011 at 9:08 am

More dill! I love it. So good.

lauren @ spiced plate March 20, 2011 at 9:19 am

Yum! I”ve been on a dill kick — eating dilly beans and making a dill yogurt sauce to go along w/ falafel. This hummus looks so yummy — lemon and dill are a lovely combination!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss March 20, 2011 at 9:25 am

I’ve heard these woodpeckers but I’ve rarely (if ever) seen them!! Awesome pictures!

Lesley Lifting Life March 20, 2011 at 9:25 am

I just bought some dill yesterday and this looks like an awesome way to use it!

Happy first day of spring!! :D

Joyce @ Flowing to Fifty March 20, 2011 at 9:39 am

I’m in your neck-of-the-woods too, and I YEARN for some warm weather! Isn’t it nice to see the birdies back? And the snow is almost gone. I’m going to get outside for a long walk today too. Shame we have to bundle up to do it.

Richelle March 20, 2011 at 9:40 am

I love walking too and find I don’t do enough of it in the winter. I love fresh dill!

Carly March 20, 2011 at 9:44 am

Love fresh dill! Mmmm.
I went for a big walk yesterday too, but it’s a bit warmer out west…about 11 degrees! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 20, 2011 at 10:47 am

nice! It was 13 here Friday but unfortunately a cold front moved in. Oh well, I’ll take the sun I guess :)

Jen March 20, 2011 at 9:52 am

Hummus never gets old. Looks yummy! Lemon and dill are such a classic combination. I’ve put them both in yogurt dip before, but I’ve never added dill to hummus!

Jen March 20, 2011 at 9:52 am

staceyhealthylife March 20, 2011 at 9:54 am

Mmm hummus, one of my favorites. I love the freshness of the lemon and dill.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food March 20, 2011 at 9:55 am

I love dill and can’t wait to try this hummus! :-)

OSGMOM March 20, 2011 at 9:57 am

Lemon + Dill + Hummus — that is pure comfort food for me. I can’t wait to make this — so missing my Cuisinart right now :) Have a great hike.

Saima March 20, 2011 at 10:13 am

this reminds me abt the Ornithology course i had enrolled at York U thinking it would be super interesting & an easy A….yes, that was my motivation to enrol in courses back then, HAAA!!….interesting it was but not an easy A!! we froze our behinds off in the winter counting species outside for our project and our lab exam totally blind sided us….we were given bird dolls and had to provide latin names, the habitat, eating habits of these birds!! ooooff!! :/

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 20, 2011 at 10:24 am

Have a great hike today Ange! Your hummus just gave me a great idea – I just bought some fennel for salads and the fronds are ok as a garnish, but I do have a lot of them! I’m thinking about mixing them into some hummus like you’ve done with the dill. Thanks for the inspiration! I’m glad you’re feeling better! :)

Freya March 20, 2011 at 10:31 am

If the male bird has the red bit and the female doesn’t, it’s probably a display feature – to attract other females :)
Love that recipe!

Moni'sMeals March 20, 2011 at 10:47 am

Now that is a woodpecker! Whoa!

How refreshing, dill and lemon, yes!

Julie @ Shining From Within March 20, 2011 at 10:49 am

Aw what a cute bird! We have a family of blue jays living in our backyard and I want to get a bird feeder so bad! I love hikes. It’s nice and sunny here… Maybe i’ll go play around in the sunshine too ;). It’s amazing what a great night of sleep does for the body.

Jen March 20, 2011 at 11:01 am

I love woodpeckers. They are so cutee! Thanks for the pictures :D

Little Miss Runshine March 20, 2011 at 11:02 am

I love walks! Especially when the sun is out and the air is so crisp like today!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset March 20, 2011 at 11:03 am

What a great recipe for Spring! I shall be making this today :D
Thanks for the lovely idea!

Kelsey March 20, 2011 at 11:04 am

yum! good call on the dill!! this looks so fresh and delicious. I could prob do some damage right on your hummus :)

laura March 20, 2011 at 11:09 am

Hooray or spring!
It’s the awakening of the earth :)

kaila @ healthy helper! March 20, 2011 at 11:13 am

dill is one of my favorite herbs! I am actually making tuna-dill patties for dinner tonight and I think I might just have make a batch of this to use as a topper!

Kristina March 20, 2011 at 11:20 am

Yum! I love fresh dill!

Amber K March 20, 2011 at 11:25 am

Lemon dill hummus sounds so delicious!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 20, 2011 at 11:32 am

I love going out on walks in the spring! The milder temperatures and sunshine make me feel like a whole new person. :D

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) March 20, 2011 at 11:33 am

I love dill….I could eat it on just about everything :)

Alyssa March 20, 2011 at 11:35 am

Oh, I love dill! I haven’t made homemade hummus yet, so looks like I need to run to the store for a few missing items;) I need to start a blog so that I can start sharing some of my favorite recipes. I love trying new recipes and I have so many that need sharing. I started thinking about this last night when I made a spring/summer favorite. Basically, it is just greens topped with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, almonds, green onions and lots of dill. Then a very easy to make vinaigrette and you have a show stopper. I like to bring this to barbecues in the summer and now that I am on my way to being a vegetarian I know that I can fill up on this for sure:) You will love it if you love dill.

Andrea @ Vegvacious March 20, 2011 at 11:37 am

Yum, I just love hummus. I don’t use dill nearly enough and this is a great new way to try it! Enjoy your hike. It might be brisk out, but it sure is nice to be outside with no snow!

Sara @ Baking and Wine March 20, 2011 at 11:50 am

We have pileated woodpeckers in our backyard too! We love them. We saw two of them fighting days ago, I’m going to assume they were both males.

I tried to plant dill last fall so I could have it fresh for whatever I wanted but I don’t think I did a good job. I have the complete opposite of a green thumb, ha.

Paije March 20, 2011 at 11:56 am

Dill is my fave herb!! My mom’s garden is always overflowing with it in the summer! I can’t wait to make this :)

Jenn from Much to My Delight March 20, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Your photography rules. As do your recipes. All hail the queen!

Jessica March 20, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I think the moon was too close to the earth and was making all of us feel a little “icky” girl pain wise. *wink* Hope you’re feeling better. It’s pouring rain here in LA. What a first day of Spring!

I’ve been referring people to your website, both for Green Monster Shakes and running tips, as you’ve been very inspiring to me. Keep up the good work.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 20, 2011 at 3:58 pm

yup totally blame the full moon!

Baking 'n' Books March 20, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I don’t know where you live but in my part of the province is almost +5 I think? It’s gorgeous out. I’ve been out for a walk, but have to do work inside so stuck as usual. I kind of don’t mind being in though either (just feel guilty for it!).

Do you work on the weekends? Are you still running as well?

Baking 'n' Books March 20, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Oh and I mean BESIDES all the blogging you still do on the weekends of course! Wondered about the bakery and your writing process.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 20, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Your photos are just stunning Angela!

I heard a woodpecker yesterday morning during my run — it was so nice to see and hear birds — it means Spring is almost here!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 20, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Thanks Holly!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 20, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I have never thought of adding dill to hummus! I should get some at the store and try that out in my next batch!

jenny eats nutella from a spoon March 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm

LOOOOOVE lemon and dill. i think i will defs be doing this with the leftover beans in my fridge

Emily March 20, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Wow, those woodpecker photos are so cool!
Have fun on your hike!

Stefanie March 20, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I have a woodpecker that likes to hang out in the trees behind my apartment building. It is nice to hear all the birds sing in the morning along with the woodpecker. I hope your hike was nice despite the weather.

Amy March 20, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Mmm…lemon and dill…what a lovely, refreshing combination. Yum!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 20, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I just did a couple posts on lemon & dill flavored food! One was raw zucchini pasta noodles with a homemade creamy vegan lemon & dill dressing and then I did roasted potato wedges with lemon and dill and herbs. I have been LOVING lemon & dill flavored things lately. Great minds think alike :)

Perfect way to jazz up hummus! I need to give it a try.

And woody the woodpecker…GREAT SHOT!

Have a wonderful weekend (what’s left) Angela :)

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 20, 2011 at 2:23 pm

i always seem to forget about dill when I am cooking, but thats a great idea to incorporate it! shake things up!

jodie March 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I don’t know how to put a photo in the comments section but you should check out my hot pink hummus! It is all natural and sooooooo fun and tasty!! http://www.jodiecope.com/2010/12/holiday-hummus.html if you want to take a peak.

The woodpeckers have been waking us many mornings lately, they love our telephone poles.

mary (what's cookin' with mary) March 20, 2011 at 2:54 pm

YUM. I used to ‘hate’ dill, but as I got ‘older’ (lol) I realized that I don’t care for dried dill, but LOVE fresh. What a great idea to add it to your hummus. Very spring like ;) you pictures are so pretty!! Makes me want to make some right now.

Sarah L. March 20, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Yum! The Summerfresh Lemon Dill hummus is one of my favourites and I imagine it would be even more delicious fresh. I can’t wait to try it!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 20, 2011 at 4:30 pm

my oh my – this looks so wonderful!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 20, 2011 at 6:35 pm

oh how I love hummus! Dill is such a great addition..

MarmandeintheKitchen March 20, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I love the idea of dill in hummus – dill is such a nice, spring-like flavor. Looks great!

Charlie March 20, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I love dill but never thought of adding it to hummus! Must be delicious :).

Ashley March 20, 2011 at 9:15 pm

This hummus sounds amazing:) Going to have to go buy some dill!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 20, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Love the color of this hummus! It looks so fresh and delicious!

Gena March 20, 2011 at 10:22 pm

We can never have too many hummus flavors, can we? Awesome recipe! I love dill.

Hannah March 20, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I’m so delighted that you got to see a real woodpecker! We don’t have those in Australia!

[email protected] March 20, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Wow cooool~~I’ve never seen a woodpecker!! I always wondered if it reallly made that “ahe ahea aheaha!!” noise lol :P

Ashley March 21, 2011 at 12:26 am

What lens are you typically using these days? :)

[email protected] Sweet Life March 21, 2011 at 7:16 am

Hibernation feels so good, no matter the season!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 21, 2011 at 7:20 am

What a perfect recipe for the first day of spring! :-)

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit March 21, 2011 at 7:50 am

That hummus looks like it tastes like spring! I’m not exaclty sure what spring taste like, but its fresh, smells good and is very yumm! I can’t wait for the temperature to rise just a little more!

Allie March 21, 2011 at 10:53 am

You just inspired me to pick up some dill tonight!

Sam @ the neurotic yogini March 21, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Never tried dill in my hummus..sounds yum though. I like to add a Mexican flair when I make mine (hey, I’m from Texas!!!) and add cilantro and jalapeno.. it’s pretty bomb! :)

Joanna goes vegan April 5, 2011 at 2:48 am

I love hummus but I have never tried it with dill. I so have to try it :-)

Vibeke January 1, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Hi Angela.

Just made this hummus after searching for some oil-free recipes. In one word: delicious!