Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

IMG_2945-2

Growing up, I used to have a thing for Dairy Queen Blizzards. The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzards, in particular, were my go-to indulgence during the summer when I needed something cold and creamy, especially after hours of running around at softball practice. It also helped that my sister used to work there and she would give me extra scoops of cookie dough when I came in. ;)

Love that.

IMG_2940-2

Yesterday, I found myself with an insatiable craving for a cookie dough blizzard. It must have been the  tropical weather we were experiencing (11 Celsius and sunny- I’ll take it!) and the fact that I had just come back from a 6 mile run. The only thing on my mind was COLD!

IMG_3013

Let’s first take a look at the ingredients in the Dairy Queen Cookie Dough Blizzard.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: Unenriched Wheat Flour, Sugar, Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Soybean Oil, Mono- and Diglycerides, Artificial Flavor[Milk], Colored with Annatto, Calcium Disodium EDTA added as a preservative, Vitamin A Palmitate added), Chocolate Chips (Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin [Emulsifier], Vanilla), Powdered Sugar (Sugar, Corn Starch), Butter (Cream, Salt), Pasteurized Eggs, Brown Sugar, Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Salt.

Dairy Queen Vanilla Soft Serve: Milkfat and nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, whey, mono and diglycerides, artificial flavor, guar gum, polysorbate 80, carrageenan, and vitamin A palmitate.

Fudge: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sweetened Condensed Skim Milk (Skim Milk, Sugar, Corn Syrup), Partially Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, Water, Fructose, Cocoa processed with Alkali, Cocoa, Sodium Alginate (Algin, Dextrin, Sodium Phosphate), Salt, Mono & Diglycerides (Vegetable), Potassium Sorbate (a preservative), Soy Lecithin, Disodium Phosphate, Artificial & Natural Flavors..

Admittedly, I wasn’t really craving one after reading that crazy list, but I figured that I could make a homemade version using natural ingredients from my kitchen.

This recipe was inspired by the banana soft serve with cookie dough pieces that I made a lot last summer.

IMG_0956

IMG_3029

The first thing I did was make a batch of cookie dough. This is my third cookie dough recipe, adapted from Chocolate Dipped Cookie Dough Balls and my Raw Cookie Dough Balls.

Cookie Dough Balls III

print this recipe!

Yield: 1 cup packed cookie dough

• 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup oat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1.5 tbsp natural cane sugar
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup (or a bit more if dough is too dry)
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions: In a food processor, add the cashews and oats and process until it forms a fine crumble. Now add in the salt, sugar, and flour and process for a few seconds more. Add in the maple syrup and vanilla and process until combined. It will be sticky, but this is normal! Add in your chocolate chips and stir by hand or process. Form into balls. Store in freezer.

IMG_2985-4

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

print this recipe!

Yield: 2 servings

• 3 peeled and frozen bananas, cut into 1 inch chunks for easier processing
  • Splash of non-dairy milk (if needed)
  • 2 tbsp cookie dough (from above)

Directions: In a large food processor, add in your 3 frozen bananas. I like to cut my bananas into 1 inch chunks before freezing. Process bananas, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Finally, add in your cookie dough and process until combined. You should have a soft serve type consistency when done. To make the blizzard simply stir in your desired amount of mini cookie dough balls, pour into a glass, and serve with a spoon. Makes 2 servings.

IMG_2956-2

This was pretty awesome, not going to lie. :) We will be making this a lot this summer, I can tell.

IMG_2965-2

In case you missed it yesterday, the 3 winner’s of the giveaway are now posted! Thank you everyone for your generous donations.

Happy Friday! Sun

1 Nicole @ Fresh n Fit March 18, 2011

Cookie dough blizzards are my favorite! We have something around here called the Tornado, (same thing basically, but bigger) I can’t wait to try this. I’m a vegetarian, so technically I could still have the regular version, but I love vegan desert, and now that my favorite treat ever has been veganized, I am a very happy girl! Can’t wait to try this!

2 Richelle March 18, 2011

Okay, this is genius! I can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

3 katie March 18, 2011

Cookie dough blizzards are amazing!!! I used to love that and the oreo ones growing up! Yum!!! Genius Angela!! Happy Friday!!!

4 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 18, 2011

Oh wow, this sounds ridiculously good! I used to love Blizzards as a kid and it was always the Skor ones that I couldn’t resist. Your version sounds SO much better to my adult self!! :)

5 Becky March 18, 2011

Oh, yes…the Heath Bar blizzards were the greatest! That, and the chocolate cherry…mmm…

6 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe March 18, 2011

That is such a fun recipe! I loved the butterfinger blizzards the best!

7 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) March 18, 2011

AHHH This is BEYOND WORDS!

8 Erin March 18, 2011

OMG Angela this recipe looks sooo tasty! I can’t wait to try it! Cookie Dough blizzards are my hubby’s favourite, and DQ is my weakness. I’m excited to have a better-for-you and most likely better-tasting option!
Thanks for all your great recipes and for continuing to inspire me.
cheers!
e

9 Lee March 18, 2011

YUM! This is a great recipe! I have put countless spins to your banana fro-yo! Delicious.

10 Geneviève March 18, 2011

Oh my goodness. You just totally saved my summer (me + dairy = :( bad bad stomache aches)!!!! I absolutely cannot wait to try this!!! :D

11 Darcy @ She Sings at the Table March 18, 2011

Ooooh, this looks magical. I’ve been trying more and more vegan baking lately, and I think one of the best things is the ability to eat the dough without a trace of salmonella concern :)

12 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 18, 2011

Happy Friday, indeed! This. is. awesome. I can’t wait to try your latest creation!

13 Amelia March 18, 2011

What a great Friday treat! I hope you are secretly writing a cook book to be published. You are very talented.

Have a fantastic weekend! :)

14 Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner March 18, 2011

I broke a blender and a food processor trying to make banana soft serve, but tons of people make it so I’m not sure why! I can’t remember if I cut my bananas into chunks, so I’m going to try again (but I’m afraid to break another appliance!)

15 helen @ healing through positivity April 15, 2011

I nearly did, but husband came to the rescue – it made the worst sound! I added some splashes of soy mix when blending and it saved having to buy a new magimix…I will be more careful in future!!!

16 Peggy @ freshnutrition.net March 18, 2011

This is fantastic!! What a healthier way to enjoy my favourite summer treat.
Thanks, Angela!

17 Sarah March 18, 2011

YUM! That looks perfect for the spring/summer season!

18 Heather (heathers dish) March 18, 2011

H.O.L.Y.G.O.O.D.N.E.S.S. I am making this all summer long…it’ll be so much cheaper an better for us than blizzards! Quick question though: with the cashews, are they roasted or raw? I need to know so I can hit up the store today :)

19 PB Addict March 18, 2011

I used to work at DQ in high school and the cookie dough blizzard was my favorite. I may have used to eat the cookie dough pieces without ice cream at times ;) This is a great replacement! Will be saving this recipe, thanks!

20 Allison @ Food For Healing March 18, 2011

i seen this same type of drink yesterday, seems like its going to be the new thing in the blog world!

21 Picky Nicky March 18, 2011

Wow, thanks for posting that ingredient list! Admittedly, I live a 5 minute walk away from Dairy Queen but haven’t been there in something like 4 years… Now I know what I haven’t been missing out on :P
Your version looks amazing, I bookmarked it :) Although I really only wanna make that cookie dough, it looks so good!!

22 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 18, 2011

Angela this looks so delicious!

I too love DQ Blizzards — and cookie dough (or M&Ms) is my favorite flavor!

23 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 18, 2011

DQ Blizzards are sooo good, but I haven’t had one is years due to the nasty content. Finally, a ways to enjoy them again! :) I am thinking this is the perfect Friday reward for a hectic, hell-ish week.

24 Jenn from Much to My Delight March 18, 2011

How clever are you?! Nice to know I don’t have to go up a pants size to get a Blizzard fix! Now if you could only find a way to duplicate Butterfinger using all-natural ingredients (that’s my crush-in of choice), I think I may officially lose my mind.

25 Jenn from Much to My Delight March 18, 2011

26 Katy @ A Healthy Shot March 18, 2011

Holy cow, that looks awesome! I’ve never had a blizzard but I’ll definitely be trying this!!! Have a great weekend :)

27 Lindsey March 18, 2011

DQ Cookie Doug blizzards were my favorite too! This recipe will be the first thing I try as soon as warmer weather arrives here! Thanks!

28 Shanna, like Banana March 18, 2011

I used to love blizzards as well. I allow myself one a year and just savor it. Way to make a healthy version! next can you make a PB cup one? ;)

29 Caroline @ chocolate & carrots March 18, 2011

Done. I’m so making this. It looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

30 Fallon March 18, 2011

That looks wonderful! I’d prefer the natural blizzard over the DQ one any day. Those ingredients make my stomach hurt. They are so unnecessary!

31 BrightBakes March 18, 2011

A vegan cookie-dough blizzard? How creative and fun… top food blog post of the day, in my opinion :) !!!!

32 jessica @ how sweet March 18, 2011

Holy drool!!

33 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious March 18, 2011

Oreo Blizzards were always my favourite, but cookie dough was a close second. This looks like an amazing summer indulgence!

34 Baking 'n' Books March 18, 2011

Insane is all I can say!

I can’t believe that’s mostly bananas?! I eat way too many in one day as is….

I love yogurt. What can you do to substitute that in your diet but still get that satisfying, filling thick consistency??

35 Hannah @ Healthy Whip March 18, 2011

I’ve never had any sort of Blizzard, but this looks amazing and totally delicious!

36 Jenny March 18, 2011

This looks so yummy! I’ll have to try this recipe for cookie dough! I love the idea of using nuts!

37 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 18, 2011

I do believe you just knocked Dairy Queen out of the water with this recipe. ;) LOVE IT! When I was little my family used to go to Dairy Queen occasionally as a treat in the summer, but it’s been a while since I’ve been to one. What a great way to recreate the summer fun!

xxoo
Heather

38 Gaura March 18, 2011

That list of ingredients was offputting (and what a great way to make yourself stop in your tracks and not go for the easy route, but to take the time to make it yourself!)

39 faith @ lovelyascharged March 18, 2011

Man, blizzards are my favorite indulgence (well…any ice cream loaded with more sugary candy crap, haha) but that ingredient list is dreadful! Not that I actually expected it to be any better but still…haha. Anywho I’m loving the all natural version! I actually made your cookie dough balls around christmas time and crumbled them over all natural vanilla ice cream – I went gaga for that so I assume this healthier version would just be that much more epic!

40 Erin March 18, 2011

I was so excited to see this post, because I used to love those too! And then I saw it was made with bananas, the one fruit I cannot stand. Sad face.

Ah well, I can still have the cookie dough, which looks great!

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

Why don’t you try a store bought natural frozen dessert to replace the bananas like Coconut Bliss http://www.coconutbliss.com/ ? It’s SO good!

42 Erin March 18, 2011

I probably will try that, thanks. Either that or make my own cashew-based version — cashew ice cream is my favorite!

43 Nicole March 18, 2011

Wow! We have a Dairy Queen down the street that we used to bike to, but I realized one day that the ice cream tasted artificial and they generally just made me a bit sick. This vegan version looks so much better.

44 Christina March 18, 2011

You have out done yourself once again! This looks absolutely amazing.

This is a great alternative to give children in the hot summer months to come and it’s just not full of all the crap dairy queen is full of. I can’t wait to try them out.

45 Ashley B September 2, 2013

You know it’s delicious when you don’t even get to the ball making stage… You just eat it out of the bowl with a spoon :)

46 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods March 18, 2011

Amazing! Your version sounds much more appetizing than the DQ classic.

47 Jennifer March 18, 2011

Those look a-freaking-mazing. What I especially love is that while they carry themselves as dessert, they’re really healthier than most people’s breakfasts. I don’t comment often, but I’ve got to say, I love your recipes! Yum!

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

thanks Jennifer!

49 Leanne March 18, 2011

This looks to die for!

I swear, Eric must love coming home from work every day to sample whatever you’ve been making! ;)

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

yes he does :)

51 Kristin March 18, 2011

Oh-My-Goodness!!! I have been craving a Blizzard lately but just couldn’t justify putting something like that into my body. But this? Oh yeah baby! Can’t wait to try this!

52 Katie (quickcookrice) March 18, 2011

Used to LOVE Blizzards as well. This might be the new summer go-to recipe (and here in Washington, DC it’s starting to feel like summer might be around the corner!).

53 Cait March 18, 2011

Holy moly. This looks amazing. I have a thing for Friendly’s peanut butter cup “Friendzees” or whatever they are called. I may have to create a healthier version now that you’ve set the bar!

54 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 18, 2011

Oh wow, this looks great!!!! I love Blizzards. Especially the Oreo ones. This is so much of a healthier option, though :D

55 Lynna March 18, 2011

YUM such a great idea. I’ll have to make this soon. Do you have a favorite version of your raw cookie dough?

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

probably this most recent version :)

57 Moni'sMeals March 18, 2011

thank you thank you thank you! I would prefer yours WELL over a DQ blizzard. This looks unreal!

58 Kelsey March 18, 2011

WOW! This looks amazing! I loooved blizzards, esp. reese’s pb cup blizzards. After becoming a vegan, I thought my blizzard days were over…but you’ve given me hope. :)

59 Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 18, 2011

omg this looks incredible! i used to LOVE the oreo blizzards and haven’t had one in years.

60 Bronwyn March 18, 2011

That sounds DELICIOUS. Sigh, why does DQ have to be so bad, but oh-so-good? It’s one of those places I try to be ignorant of what’s IN the blizzard, so I can just enjoy the horrible goodness that is a blizzard. Maybe I’ll try this Banana-Cookie-Dough-Blizzard. It looks good too!

61 Amber K March 18, 2011

Personally I was always a Reese’s peanut butter cup blizzard girl, but I would gladly trade for one of these! I know what I’ll be making this summer!!

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

mmmm reese’s

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

I was just thinking- why not make a blizzard using these vegan chocolate PB cups? http://ohsheglows.com/2009/12/30/vegan-chocolate-peanut-butter-cups/ How good would that be!

Ok now im getting all kinds of crazy ideas!

64 Amber K March 18, 2011

YUM! You always have the best ideas. :)

65 Chanelle Morin March 18, 2011

We so thought of that today. And we thought of about 6 other ideas. I guess I’m going to have to try a new one every week or every day. Haha. Thanks so much for the idea. It was delish and my son loved it!

66 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 18, 2011

Well now this is just dangerous…but not nearly as dangerous as the DQ blizzards, ha! Yum yum– amazed that you found a way to make this one healthy!

67 Alyssa March 18, 2011

Oh my goodness!!! So I made almond milk this morning (because I was to lazy to go to the store last night and I like homemade so much better;) I have been searching for a way to use the almond pulp and I saw this recipe this morning. So I just replaced the cashews with the almond pulp and wow! My husband and I are in shock of how much it taste like cookie dough! I love feeling like I can give my family delicious treats and not feel guilty about it. Thanks!

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

wow that is awesome! I’ll have to try it with almonds. :) Thanks for the tip!

69 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit March 18, 2011

amazing! I’ll be trying this asap! enjoy your weekend babe x

70 Sam @ the neurotic yogini March 18, 2011

i used to work at dairy queen in high school!! needless to say i’ve eaten my fair share of chemically created cookie dough! this looks like the perfect, delicious alternative though!

congrats on raising all the money for japan! that’s just plain AWESOME :D

71 Lisa March 18, 2011

Omg, that looks so good! But, do you have any ideas of what I can use instead of cashews? I am allergic to nuts!

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

you might be able to make a vegan cookie dough and use that to make the balls with. I haven’t tried it myself, but I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to!

73 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 18, 2011

Great idea! Yum!

74 Leah @ Why Deprive? March 18, 2011

I LOVE Dairy Queen Blizzards sooo much, but I’ve never read the ingredients before. Kind of scary. This is a genius idea!

75 rachel March 18, 2011

you are a genius! the banana cream pie blizzard was my favorite. banana soft serve would be absolutely perfect for this. time to freeze some bananas :D

76 Jennifer@ knackfornutrition March 18, 2011

I just got back from a hot run and that looks like the best thing ever!

77 Heidi March 18, 2011

That looks amazing. I very rarely think it might be a good idea to go get a blizzard and then I remember I’ll feel like crap for the rest of the day. I wont be able to resist this version though! :D

78 Clare @ Fitting It All In March 18, 2011

A mix between two favorite desserts ! Yipee!!

79 Ashley March 18, 2011

Girl, this is insane!! I feel like it needs a dollop of the cookie dough almond butter on top! haha YUH-UMMMMM :)

80 Katie March 18, 2011

Those were my favorite blizzards too! I actually made this almost every night last summer. :) It was the FIRST thing I thought of when I first heard about banana soft serve. I like ice cream scoops, but soft serve is my absolute favorite.

81 Jess@atasteofconfidence March 18, 2011

I used to love blizzards, and this looks awesome- SUCH a better alternative. Thanks for the recipe!

82 Michelle | gold-hearted girl March 18, 2011

You are a GENIUS. I used to love blizzards back in the day – I’m kind of ashamed to say that, haha. So thank you for introducing a healthy version!!!

83 Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc March 18, 2011

How can anyone not love this? I love your healthier version of the blizzard!

84 LauraJayne March 18, 2011

That looks amazing! My favorite was always the Butterfinger Blizzard – and I think I can totally make that using your recipe too!

85 Hannah March 18, 2011

Ahhh Angela this is too much! When is your cookbook coming out?!?

86 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 18, 2011

Um, Ok this looks AWESOME! What a great idea!!!! Sometimes I crave a dairy queen ice cream, but then I go on the site and look at all the crap, calories and fat that’s it in and I change my mind. This looks great though!!

Glad you are enjoying the weather.. it’s great isn’t it :)

87 Lesley Lifting Life March 18, 2011

That looks amazing and delicious! :)

88 Janessa March 18, 2011

Looks delicious!

89 carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream March 18, 2011

Oh man, what are you doing to me? Blizzard recipe on a Friday afternoon… and I just bought bananas… seems like fate :P

I had the thing growing up for the vanilla blizzard with crispy crunch and oreos… oh so good!

90 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) March 18, 2011

this is one of the many things i’ll be looking forward to once it gets warmer outside! looks amazing

91 Allison March 18, 2011

Oh my, is there anything you can’t do?! I will be thinking about this all day now. :) Can’t wait to try it!

92 Alexa @ Simple Eats March 18, 2011

Ah I can NOT wait to try this. I just had banana soft serve last night and wished there was cookie dough in it! I’m making this asap!

93 Ellie@fitforthesoul March 18, 2011

I shall be making these today!!!!!!! like, in a few hours? I’m hoping at least :D If not, tomorrow for sure~I can tell this is something my fiance will love! what a great idea with the healthier cookie dough balls–reminds me of froyo places

94 Roz March 18, 2011

Holy gross!!! I’ve never looked at the ingredients of a Blizzard. I don’t have them often, but now, I don’t know if I’ll ever have one again. And I’d take your healthier version ANY day. Thanks for the post!!!

95 kaila @ Healthy Helper blog March 18, 2011

I used to love Dairy Queen blizzards….but after I became more health conscious and found out the ingredients they lost there attraction! But now I can have a healthy and delicious substitute! YUM! Can’t wait to try it…..my fave blizzard flavors were oreo and peanut butter cup! Maybe you could come up with a variation for those too :)!

96 britt March 18, 2011

this seriously looks amazing!! i have everything on hand except for the cashews. do you think walnuts, almonds or pecans would work? of course i have every other kind of nut on hand!!

97 Bridget March 18, 2011

Who needs DQ when you got this! Wow! I’m super impressed Ange :)

98 Lorin March 18, 2011

That looks really good! I love McDonalds McFlurry but I haven’t had one in so long. I like that they have the mini sizes now which is actually a perfect size it seems. I wish I had a food processor to try out all your delicious recipes.

99 Laura @FoodSnobSTL March 18, 2011

I ate a blizzard just the other day. Wish I would of gone this route though. So much healthier!

100 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 18, 2011

Angela, I LOVED Blizzards growing up. It was the Heath Bar Blizzard that had my name all over it. I was really horribly dairy intolerant then and didnt know why I’d end up in pain for day(s) after eating one, but I kept eating them anyway b/c they were so good :)

Havent had a Blizzard in about 15-20 years I’d say but gosh, your version makes me just want to get busy Blizzard making at home!

The cookie dough recipe looks wonderful! That’s how I make my cookie dough. i just made some white chocolate & mango cookie dough bites. I used my “base” cookie dough recipe which I never include dates or coconut oil in it; just cashews, oats, vanilla, agave. Super simple and it works every time. I am going to try your version next!

101 Emily @ One Sweet Vegan March 18, 2011

I ate my fair share of DQ Blizzards back in the day. My children and husband are going to love you after they get a taste of this awesome concoction!

102 Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 18, 2011

I JUST had a DQ blizzard the other day.. and now I have a healthier alternative! Thank you!

103 Emily March 18, 2011

That looks AMAZING! I ran an awesome 6 miles today in beautiful central park, it’s 70 degrees in NYC today! Enjoy the rest of your gorgeous day! :)

104 Jen March 18, 2011

I want one of these NOW! I haven’t made banana soft serve in far too long. Luckily, I just froze a bunch of ripe bananas this morning!

105 Stefanie March 18, 2011

Now I am craving a blizzard. Thanks for sharing another great recipe.

106 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 18, 2011

seriously, this looks like real ice cream! and i’m sure it tastes like it, too! perfect for a hot day here in new Zealand!

107 Erin @ Big Girl Feats March 18, 2011

I completely forgot about my love for DQ Blizzards back in the day, until this post reminded me. This look SO good! I will absolutely be trying this very soon.

108 Julie (A Case of the Runs) March 18, 2011

I second the recommendation to do an Oreo version!

109 Lisa Fine March 18, 2011

This sounds amazing! I added to my links in my weekend reading material. It’s saved in my reader as a post-running treat for when the weather warms up.

110 Janelle March 18, 2011

You are a GENIUS!!! Thank You!

111 megan @ the oatmeal diaries March 18, 2011

Ok this is too funny… my boyfriend and I literally talked about these cookie dough blizzards for about an HOUR last night! I know what I’m making today!!! :)

112 Carlee March 18, 2011

ANGELA! This looks INSANE!!!

113 Becca March 18, 2011

When I opened your blog and saw that beautiful picture of a cookie dough blizzard I could not contain my excitement. AMAZING. I am making this for sure! I worked at DQ and ate wayyyyy more than my fair share of processed cookie dough crap …but a vegan, semi-raw, “clean” blizzard? Yes, please!

114 Crystal March 18, 2011

I used to work at DQ and I’d make this Blizzard all the time for myself! The original recipe also has hot fudge in there, but I liked to replace it with butterscotch sauce, yum! I think your version sounds absolutely divine and I will be making it this summer!

115 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 18, 2011

I was a huge fan of blizzards growing up. My sister and I used to ride our bikes to DQ every Saturday afternoon. She would have the Reese’s pieces blizzard and I would have strawberry oreo. I loved that strawberry oreo combination.
This looks so great! I can’t wait for summer. All the snow is melting in Airdrie and the birds are out… eeee!

116 Julie @ Shining From Within March 18, 2011

I just made these cookie dough balls and they taste JUST like the real thing! And I was skeptical… I’d say they’re better than the real thing. YUM! :D thank you

117 Christine (The Raw Project) March 18, 2011

This looks absolutely amazing and I can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

118 Naomi March 18, 2011

AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS! that looks better than a blizzard lol

119 Kate March 18, 2011

OMG those look amazing, conveniently I have almond butter cookie dough balls im thinking they might be really good in some soft serve!

120 Abby White@Eat, Drink and Be Aware March 18, 2011

Oh my. I just made the cookie dough balls for my kids which they love and feel like it is soo cool that their mom lets them eat cookie dough. Little did I know that I am going to get to have the above blizzard as well. Thank you, thank you.

121 Stephanie March 18, 2011

The blizzard looks amazing! You’ve got me craving cookie dough. Unfortunately I have an allergy to cashews, so this recipe is a no-go. Do you have a suggestion for an alternative that I could use for the cookie dough recipe? Do you think another nut would work as well? Thanks!

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 19, 2011

I think a commenter above mentioned using almonds :)

123 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 18, 2011

Ohhhh maiii gawwwd…you are killing me!! It has been a balmy 64 degrees F and sunny. I have been craving frozen deliciousness and this will hit the spot. Thank you girl!!

124 Lauren March 18, 2011

I was craving a blizzard on Wednesday. I must say that this looks 150% better than DQ. Cannot wait to give it a whirl! No pun intended.. >_>

125 Ashley @ Taste for Healthy March 18, 2011

What a crazy list of ingredients! I don’t know who in their right mind would actually want to eat a ‘real’ blizzard if they knew what was in it!

There is always a better way to remake a “return to childhood” favorite treat! ;)

126 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 18, 2011

I could never have DQ because of my allergies, but I loved McFlurries! This looks like the perfect replacement for them this summer! :D

127 Cara Craves... March 18, 2011

Love this!
I always used to get Dairy Queen blizzards after my rugby games/pratices
in high school. My go-to flavor was always mint oreo.

128 Katie Gibbs March 18, 2011

Yep, this looks freaking amazing! I can’t wait to play around with some other flavors!

129 Laura @ Starloz March 18, 2011

oh boy, how scary are the ingredients in the dq blizzard. wow

130 staceyhealthylife March 18, 2011

Wow. I think the cookie dough pieces look the best, yum.

131 Baking Serendipity March 18, 2011

I loved blizzards growing up too, but eeeks! to that ingredient list. Your alternative is much better…bookmarking this for a summer treat for sure. Thank you, thank you! :)

132 Hannah March 18, 2011

So gobsmacked. So swooning with desire. So going to make cookie dough RIGHT NOW.

133 Kat @ Cupcake Kat March 18, 2011

Sounds so yummy! This is an amazing idea.
I am definately making this. Katie from Chocolate Covered Katie has been making similar milkshakes too. So I am definately craving some blended goodness

134 Zestful Lou March 18, 2011

I am considering making this right now for dessert. I just have to convince myself that it will be worth having to wash the food processor. Oh lazy days!

135 Runeatrepeat March 18, 2011

This is the best blog recipe I’ve seen all week! Amazing :)

136 Lauren March 19, 2011

I’m getting on a plane headed to your kitchen right now so get the ingredients out for my “blizzard”!

137 Tiina McKay March 19, 2011

I cannot stop eating the cookie dough balls!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaahhhhhh!!!!! The blizzard part will have to wait until tomorrow because I am stuffed :)) Thanks for yet another wonderful recipe! Have a great weekend!

138 Emily March 19, 2011

I have been craving Blizzards for weeks now, but I’ve stayed away because I always feel like junk after eating one. This will be my solution!

Do you know if the banana soft serve freezes well?

139 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 19, 2011

Im not sure about freezing it, but I think I read that Caitlin from HTP freezes it and reprocesses it sometimes. Goodluck!

140 marla {family fresh cooking} March 19, 2011

Angela, you are so smart. But we all ready knew that ;) Love what you have done to the Blizzard. This is the only way I would like to enjoy that treat. So pretty too! The raw dough balls rock. xo

141 Peggy March 19, 2011

I actually made some chocolate chip cookies last night, I wish I had seen this beforehand because I would derailed from that in a heart beat! This blizzard looks downright fantastic!

142 Ricki March 19, 2011

Brilliance to the tenth degree! Oh, man, that looks amazing. I am also an “I-used-to-love-DQ-Blizzards” gal. And you just KNOW I am going to play with this so I have a version I’m allowed to eat–how could anyone look at these photos and NOT want to eat this??

143 Meg March 19, 2011

when i made the switch to vegan, ice cream was one of the very few things i missed. namely oreo mint blizzards that said, this has inspired me to make my own version. thanks Angela. awesome work again!

144 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 19, 2011

im dying to make an oreo blizzard!

145 Jennifer Drummond March 19, 2011

I was so excited to see this recipe, that I made it as soon as I got up this morning (5:30am) and let me tell you I am in heaven! This tastes just like cookie dough! I even saved some so I can lick the bowl like I was a kid! I am debating if I want to make bigger versions of this and then dip in chocolate so I can eat it as my mid afternoon snack! Thank you so much for sharing, your an inspiration!

146 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 19, 2011

glad you like it!!

147 laura March 19, 2011

This looks amazing! A great alternative to a scary dq blizzard treat.

148 Leslie Paquette March 19, 2011

This recipe looks dangerous!! I will be making this the next warm day we have.

149 Amy at TheSceneFromMe March 19, 2011

I can’t believe you mentioned Dairy Queen. I want to go there right now and get a Girl Scout blizzard, I love that place and there is one nearby!
Your healthified version of a cookie dough blizzards makes me so hungry, yum!

150 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. March 19, 2011

Super Yum!

151 Amy March 19, 2011

Looks deeelicious!

152 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 19, 2011

Mmmmm!! I worked at DQ for about 8 years, and I still LOVE blizzards!

153 Pearl (Crunch and Chew) March 19, 2011

Oh my gosh, a healthy dq blizzard – win!

154 Astrid March 19, 2011

cookie dough blizzards were my childhood! I probably had 1 every two weeks for about 10 years. Can’t wait to try the healthier version!!

155 Angelique March 20, 2011

This is genius! My husband loves chunky things in his ice cream and is going to totally dig this!

156 Danielle March 20, 2011

Oh boy, I think I might need to adapt this with homemade oreos for my husband this summer. I always feel so guilty after eating the real ones, so this is a great option!

157 Sarah L. March 20, 2011

I had a friend who worked at Dairy Queen and she used to give me extra cookie dough too! I can’t wait to try this recipe, it sounds so delicious!

158 Kim March 20, 2011

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it.

159 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 20, 2011

No way! Angela, you are my LIFE SAVER!!!! Thank you SO much for this!

xoxo
Kathleen

160 Marisa March 22, 2011

That sounds insanely good!

161 jamie hayworth-chin March 22, 2011

what kind of gluten free flour do you think would work well for the cookie dough??

162 Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie March 23, 2011

This is amazing!!!!! I miss eating blizzards and am glad to have a lactose-free replacement :).

163 alex March 23, 2011

WOW. so incredibly delicious. i made this monday, and then again yesterday. i would have made it again today but i am out of bananas and cashews! i think i may have to actually stop buying these items, or i will be making this recipe daily. you are genius!!!!

164 alex April 7, 2011

I wanted to let you know I mentioned these in my blog (linked to your site). Let me know if you want me to take it down!! Thanks!

165 Jodi March 23, 2011

Woah! These were beyond good. I don’t have an awesome food processor, so my mixture wasn’t as fine, but they still came out super tasty! And I am without vegan ice cream (no bananas!) so I will just enjoy these with a glass of coconut milk :)
Thanks for the amazing and easy recipe!

166 Christine March 25, 2011

Delicious! I only made the dough balls so far and it was *HARD* to stop at just one last night but I wanted to save them for the blizzard tonight. I made a couple of substitutions – used sucanat instead of natural cane sugar and two medjool dates soaked in warm water plus some of the soaking liquid for the maple syrup. I can see these being my go-to treat for months to come! Thanks for sharing! :-)

167 Paula Chihill March 29, 2011

Hi Angela, just stumbled upon your blog- it’s awesome!
Do you or anyone know of a gluten free flour that would work for the cookie dough?
Thank you for posting these incredible recipes! :)

168 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

I’m not sure…probably bob’s all purpose GF flour?

169 marlie March 29, 2011

OMG! I made the blizzard this morning after my run and it was TO DIE FOR. Yummmmm
Thank you for posting this.. your blog has now become my obsession and every single recipe I have tried out has been delicious.

You’re the best Angela!

170 Becca March 29, 2011

Made this twice now: once with banana soft serve and once with vanilla flavored Coconut Bliss. I think I may prefer it more with the coconut bliss just because the banana flavor was a bit distracting… I think the banana soft serve would be perfect if the cookie dough were peanut butter flavored!

171 Courtney March 30, 2011

Have you ever tried substituting coconut flour or another type of flour for the whole wheat flour? I tried making it with almond meal and while it was “ok” it is better with the whole wheat flour. I found vanilla agave syrup and sub that for the vanilla and omit the cane sugar- delish!
I’m addicted!

172 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

No I have not tried coconut flour in this. I have had really mixed results with coconut flour, so im always hesitant to try it!

173 Summer April 12, 2011

The dough balls were really good. I didn’t want to dirty the whole food processor, so I just made this in my Magic Bullet. I needed an extra splash of almond milk to get the dough mixture to come together. They don’t freeze too hard, so they’re great to eat straight out of the freezer.

Too yummy!

I also later made the Blizzard using the banana method, and I loved it. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! :)

174 Karad April 23, 2012

These are BRILLIANT!!!! I was in heaven with my first bite. I’ve already made 4 batches and am starting to play around with them a bit. Since I have to limit my sugar intake, I omitted the chocolate chips and sugar, just using the 3 Tbsp maple syrup. To make them even healthier for a quick everyday snack, I switched out the whole wheat flour for 1/2 barley flour, 1/2 ground flax. These are so good I’ll be making them every week. Thank you for an amazing recipe!!

175 Jenny May 31, 2012

I’ve never had a Dairy Queen Blizzard, but this recipe is amazing! I had to be careful not to eat both servings by myself, heh heh. I love eating even the cookie dough all by itself. :) Thanks for such a great recipe! I had to ask myself if or why I would ever eat real ice cream again if I could eat this…

176 becca June 21, 2012

These dough balls are so good! I’m not a vegan, and these really taste like the real nonvegan stuff! Thank you!!

177 Martha July 17, 2012

Just made this. It is amazing!! Super creamy and delicious. I can’t believe how easy the fro yo part is.

178 Chandra July 29, 2012

Amazing recipe! Not a fan of cookie dough but I love bananas. I’m sure the grand kids will love it. They love both! Thanks for the recipe.
Chandra

179 Emily August 10, 2012

I can’t even believe how good this is! I didn’t think it would be good but I might actually like it better than real ice cream!

180 Anna August 30, 2012

i am such a fan of your recipes! i could literally live off of these cookie dough balls! my boyfriend and i make them as snacks to have in the freezer every week! we even have created different versions of them! cant get enough!

181 Alyson September 13, 2012

These are so addicting, but a great way to cure my craving for something sweet :) Thank you for the recipe!

182 Shannon September 14, 2012

so maybe it’s about a year or two late on this comment, but after making it ten thousand times (or so?) I realized that it’s just rude not to comment. I’ve been pretty finicky about my no-bake cookies/ vegan cookie dough options and constantly try new recipes that just don’t fit. but Angela, you nailed it. this is quickly becoming my go-to, and works perfectly! i feel like i’ll FINALLY go the whole blizzard route soon, but until then these cookies are great. oh and if you put them in a toaster oven for maybe a minute- i don’t know what it is- but they become INCREDIBLE. thank my roommate for that discovery. thank you though!

183 Liz September 24, 2012

My entire extended family lovessss these cookie dough balls. We all make a double batch and keep them in a freezer for late night snacks and cravings.

Angela – do you know the nutritional information for the cookie dough?

Thanks!

184 Amy October 1, 2012

This looks great. Can I do a gluten free version? What if I used almond flour? Or just gf flour? Can that be eaten raw? Thanks!

185 tami October 5, 2012

LOOVVEEEEE this! We make ice pops for our kiddos with the banana ice cream trick! We are chocoholics though so adding 2T dark chocolate cocoa powder makes this a bit more decadent!!! SOOOO making this for hubby!

186 jessjp October 6, 2012

The cookie dough was so delicious! We barely had any left for the blizzards :) Thanks for sharing.

187 Tracey @ Cooking With Love October 24, 2012

Partially Hydrogenated Oil is in everything, Soooo scary since most consumers don’t even know what it is. I saw a girl eating Cheez-It’s at work yesterday and wanted to grab the box from her and say NOOOOO! lol! Thanks for sharing, these balls look dreamy! :)

188 Cassidy December 4, 2012

Oh, goodness. I ate all of it. All the cookie dough…all the soft serve… @___@
So. Good. Perfect post-workout nom-nom. Thanks, Angela! ;D

189 Linda March 12, 2013

Just made this one, yummy! But actually, I like all your recipes ;)

190 Amber April 2, 2013

Looks delicious!! SO gonna make this soon!

191 Amy May 3, 2013

LOVE this recipe! Actually I love ALL your recipes! :D

192 Ashley May 30, 2013

Hi! Just discovered your site and LOVE your recipes! Can’t wait to try! I am newly GF and will be adapting these for that. Quick question though – I do not have a food processor, only a blender. Will that work for your recipes that require a processor? Thank you!!

193 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2013

im sorry but Im not sure Ashley!

194 Lizzie June 29, 2013

Hi, Angela! I just recently started a blog for meals that are ideal for collegiate student-athletes (as I am one myself) and can easily be made in the dorm (involves the microwave and blender…a lot). I tried this recipe for “cookie dough” bites and LOVED it!! Would you mind if I share it on my blog? Thanks!

195 Sarah July 13, 2013

Having finished most of the Cookie Dough Blizzard just now, I have to write you how unbelievably delicious that is!!! I can’t believe it. Now I have to wait til more of my bananas ripen so I can make it again… Actually, next time it’ll be Peanut butter or chocolate brownie! Thank you so much for these recipes. Amazing.

196 Jocelyn Herman July 28, 2013

I just made the cookie dough balls — Good thing at least some of them made it into the freezer since they were so good I couldn’t stop eating the dough!! They taste just like real cookie dough. Can’t wait to make the soft serve part of this to complete the whole recipe!!

197 Jocelyn Herman July 28, 2013

P.S. I used buckwheat flour to make it gluten free and it was still very, very good. I also used agave syrup instead of pure maple syrup. It has a slight almond taste, but I love that flavor anyhow so it’s still just as good as far as I am concerned. :-)

198 Laura September 19, 2013

How many chocolate chip cookie balls should I get out of that batch? I made 18 but I thought maybe I should make them smaller?

199 Angela December 30, 2013

I’ve decided this is the year I go fully vegan. What a wonderful blog this is – like stumbling across Aladdin’s Cave – and what a creative and generous person you are for sharing all your talent and enthusiasm. Thank you so much x

200 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 30, 2013

Hi Angela, Thank you so much for your lovely comment! I appreciate it so much :) Good luck with your goals!

201 Stephanie January 27, 2014

omg! you are a woman after my own heart I love cookie dough and because of you have found a love for oats! I’m in the process of making this as we speak my cookie dough just went into the freezer! before they went in they already treated amazing! I can’t wait to try out more of your recipes! thank you!

202 Juliet February 18, 2014

These are fantastic! Any chance you think these could be kept out of the freezer for a couple days at room temp?

203 svet March 6, 2014

Angela! I just made and consumed this and it was amazing! :) I asked my mom if she wanted me to make her a portion, and she said no. But when she saw it and had a bite, she sure regretted this decision!

204 heidi March 19, 2014

i made this with the cookie dough nut butter (because i already had some made) and WOWWWW!!! i think i cried a little its so good!

205 Plant Based Diet March 21, 2014

I love the recipes and I love it even more that is is plant based.

206 Misty May 31, 2014

I just made this. Substituted coconut flour for oat flour. So flavorful! This is certainly a keeper!

207 Lanae June 21, 2014

My husband LOVES cookie dough blizzards, and I know it has been kind of difficult for him to give them up since becoming vegan. So, when I found this recipe, I knew I had to make it for him. I whipped it up today, and it was delicious!!! My husband loved it! Thanks for the recipe!

208 Vanessa July 15, 2014

Hi Angela, I made this recipe when you first posted it in 2011 and I made often through that summer. However, I have moved on to other favorites from your website since then. Anyway, I am 36 weeks pregnant and today I was in the grocery store and got a major craving for this recipe. I looked up the recipe immediately on my phone and found I only needed to buy two ingredients. I had everything else at home. I quickly grabbed those two items and raced home to prepare it so I could have it for dessert tonight. I just finished a serving of the blizzard and it was as good as I remember. The baby is kicking up a storm now. I guess it has his approval too! Thanks.

209 Missy July 29, 2014

Love this! Any thoughts on a good substitute for the cashews for my brother’s tree nut allergy?

210 Sam December 3, 2014

I’m kind of new to the raw baking idea still… Just checking, would raw whole wheat pastry flour not make one sick? I’ve always been under the impression flour always needs to be cooked.

211 Laura February 10, 2016

Wow!! I stumbled across this on your site and woke up early to make this before work!!! It is soooo good. Thanks Angela!!

212 Cara February 16, 2016

This recipe sounds amazing!!! Both my boys have nut allergies, can I replace the cashews with something nut free?

Thanks!

213 Angela Liddon March 17, 2016

Hi Cara, I’d recommend using the recipe for cookie dough balls in my first cookbook (p. 235). They can be made nut-free, using sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter and subbing oat flour for the almond flour. Hope this helps, and that you enjoy the “blizzard” when you get a chance to make it! :)

214 Olivia July 19, 2016

Loved it! Thank you, you`re so creative!