Carrot Raisin Spelt Berry Salad with Cumin and Cilantro

I almost peed myself this morning when I saw the amount the fundraiser has raised so far!!

I am THRILLED beyond belief and I can’t thank you enough. Let’s see how much we can raise in the next 12 hours! I also appreciate those of you who are spreading the word and posting about the fundraiser on Twitter and Facebook. Thank you for rallying for such an important cause.

IMG_2787

Pipe Dreams

This is a little story called Pipe Dreams.

Growing up, two of my idols were Hal Johnson and Joanne McLeod from Body Break. You may have heard of them. They are a pretty big deal.

And because I was so cool, I decided to email them at the ripe age of 17 years old, asking them to hire me. Yes, at 17. My momma always told me you miss all the chances you don’t take!

In a lengthy and passionate email, I told them exactly why I was the perfect candidate for this made up job. My love for fitness and nutrition made me a great fit for Body Break! I dreamed of us cycling around town together, hiking on the trails, and enjoying mini bags of grapes and trail mix as we chatted about phytonutrients.

In closing of my email, as a last desperate attempt, I believe I offered to work for FREE!

Need less to say, working with Hal and Joanne didn’t pan out, but I guess when life gives you lemons you just cook with them, right?

IMG_2761

This salad rocked my world! It’s so pretty, isn’t it?

IMG_2783

I adapted this recipe from my homegirl, Leslie Beck, RD. I call her homegirl because I feel like I know her personally (I don’t).

But, I have been reading her column in the Globe and Mail for a long time now and I feel like we are BFF’s.

Maybe she feels the same way?

A girl can dream.

IMG_2772

This recipe turned out fantastic! The flavour is very unique…almost hard to put a finger on. The raisins added a fun pop of sweetness as a nice contrast to the tangy and fresh lemon dressing.

We also really loved the texture of this salad. It was super chewy! Chew, chew, chew. Just love that.

IMG_2777

Eric preferred it heated up while I enjoyed it cold. It works both ways. He also said he would like more raisins next time, but I won’t get into his obsession with raisins… ;)

IMG_2782

1 Becky March 16, 2011

I’ve got to try this salad! I’ll leave out the cilantro, though – it’s one of those herbs you either love or hate – and I fall into the latter category. I’ll bet some fresh parsley would work just as well.

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

yes parsley would work wonderfully!

3 Betsy March 16, 2011

I’m with you, Becky, cilantro tastes like soap! Sadly, it spoils so many dishes for me! I like the curly parsley instead. I’m told I used to eat it raw in the grocery store when I was little and out shopping with my mom :)

4 Becky March 17, 2011

Yeah – I hate going out to eat and scouring the menu for something I can eat, only to find it has cilantro embedded in it and it can’t be left off.

5 Becky March 21, 2011

Angela – I made this yesterday, but with a few tweaks – quick-cooking barley instead of spelt berries, and shredded carrots vs. chopped. It is delicious! I was a little heavy-handed with the cayenne pepper, though….

6 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 16, 2011

Hehhe this post made me laugh! Sorry to hear things didn’t work out with Hal and Joanne – they missed a good opportunity!! :) This salad looks awesome. I saw your tweet about it yesterday and got really excited because I’m on a mission to get through all the grains in my kitchen – I’ve got loads! Have a great day Ange!

7 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin March 16, 2011

This looks awesome Angela! I’ve never worked with speltberries before. Are they similar to wheat berries in taste/texture? (They look it!)

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

yup!

9 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit March 17, 2011

I was wondering that as well. I’ve never ‘worked’ with either but I think I ate wheat berries once. I can’t wait to get me a bag!

10 Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 16, 2011

That’s awesome that you got such a great response on the raffle! You’re going to be able to help a lot of people :)

11 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 16, 2011

Angela I am so thrilled to see how much you have raised!!! I knew you’d smash your goal of $1000! Thanks for setting that up!

This dish looks amazing — I think raisins make almost any dish taste great. I just love their texture.

12 Baking 'n' Books March 16, 2011

I know – I’m obsessed with raisins!

Do you eat this as a main meal Angela or for lunch?

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

Whatever you prefer!

14 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman March 16, 2011

That salad looks great. I’ve never had spelt berries, but they look like they’d be nice and chewy, which I like.

Congrats on raising so much so far!!

15 Lesley Lifting Life March 16, 2011

That dish looks delicious! I’m on a carrot kick and seem to be adding them to about every dish I eat :]

16 Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com March 16, 2011

Wow! This salad looks so colorful and flavorful. Great mixins!

Btw, I’m hosting a coconut oil giveaway on my blog this week, starting today! Check it out! :)

17 Chloe @ 321delish March 16, 2011

Raisins and Cumin go SO well together. It is such a sweet yet savory combination. Can’t wait to try this salad!

18 Shanna, Like Banana March 16, 2011

That salad looks gorgeous. I love how cumin can really add a punch of flavor and really change a dish.

19 Dani @ Body By Nature March 16, 2011

This looks amazing, I love adding raisins to salads. Hal & Joanne were my favourites too…I wonder whatever happened to them?

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

I still see them on TV from time to tiime!

21 Carrie March 16, 2011

I just tried to go to the raffle page and it says it is disabled. Is it over?

22 staceyhealthylife March 16, 2011

Mmmmm looks tasty. I’m going to try this. I have not had much success with cooking wheat berries.

23 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 16, 2011

Congrats on the raffle being a success… keep it up!!! :)

What a cute story! It’s always worth it to try, and just figuring out where our passions are is definitely a huge step towards the future.

AWESOME salad recipe!!!

xxoo
Heather

24 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston March 16, 2011

The link to donate says it’s been disabled?

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

it’s back up!

26 ASK March 16, 2011

Hmm, tried the donation link again today to see how much the total donations are and the page said ‘We are sorry. This GivingPage is disabled.’

Did the timer go off on it or something?

[Awesome looking salad by the way]

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

it’s fixed now. we had an issue…

28 kate@ahealthypassion March 16, 2011

Congratulations on your fundraiser that is incredible to have raised so much money in one day! Salad looks beautiful im not a big raisin person but I might have to give this one a try :)

29 Svetlana March 16, 2011

How come I see the giving page as inactive? :(

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

it is back up now….thanks!

31 Svetlana March 16, 2011

Great, thank you :)

32 Hannah @ Healthy Whip March 16, 2011

This recipe looks yum- I have a few carrots to use up! I will definitely leave out the coriander though (cilantro)! It’s funny- I used to think my Mom was insane adding raisins to salads, now I love it!

Congrats on the raffle success :)

33 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious March 16, 2011

That salad looks great ~ I’m always looking for new salad variations! I like that you can use parsley instead of cilantro b/c that is the one herb that I just don’t like.
Congrats on your raffle ~ you have many amazing followers!!

34 Urban Girl March 16, 2011

I also would like to donate, but the site says the giving page has been disabled… :-(

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

it is back up now, sorry about that. we had a problem!

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

the page was down but we are back in business now :)

37 Heather (heathers dish) March 16, 2011

I bet the raisins are fun in there…just a little burst of sweetness!

38 Jana Flaxbeard March 16, 2011

I really want to donate but when I go to the website it says the the page is disabled. Hopefully it’s fixed soon so people can still donate up to your deadline!!

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

we are back up, sorry!!!

40 carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream March 16, 2011

That salad looks amazing!!

Also, I totally support more raffle items but that’s just because it will increase my chances to try some Oh She Glows yummy treats!

I can’t wait to see how much this raised for the Red Cross!

41 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 16, 2011

This sounds so unique and fun! I love salads like that cold too. I think the flavor tends to stand out much more.

42 Marta March 16, 2011

hahahahaha BodyBreak? you ARE the biggest dork ever!

43 MarmandeintheKitchen March 16, 2011

Yum – I love the combination of raisins and carrots, and it seems like such a good idea with spelt or wheat berries. This one is bookmarked!

44 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 16, 2011

Mmmm, I love salads like this. There’s something so tasty about the combo of raisins and carrots!

45 Julie @ Shining From Within March 16, 2011

This salad looks so fresh and vibrant- perfect for Spring time :D

46 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans March 16, 2011

I am so happy to see how much money has been made so far! Great work everyone :)

47 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 16, 2011

Congrats on the fundraising success!!

Your pictures are phenomenal. That salad looks fabulous, too.

48 Leanne March 16, 2011

WOW! The amount you’ve raised for Japan so far is amazing! I was floored to see the amount!

49 cassandra March 16, 2011

hi angela,

wonderful blog, delicious recipes and extremely creative spirit!

quick question: where do you source your medjool dates from?

thanks!

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

I purchase them from Ontario Natural Food Coop. :)

51 cassandra March 16, 2011

thank you!

52 Donna March 16, 2011

I saw Hal and Joanne on city line a few weeks ago, they were canadas fitness rock stars!
This recipe is definitely being saved and i’m with the hubby, LOVE raisins, you can never have enough :)

53 CathyK March 16, 2011

ahm, thanks for the fun memory, angela! i totally loved the body break commercials on tv, way back when. i thought joanne and hal looked like such nice people!
i read leslie beck’s column every week in the globe, too. i had the opportunity to hear her give a presentation about five years ago~she was awesome in person, too!
congrats on the success of the fundraiser – wonderful!!

54 Peggy Bell-Smith March 16, 2011

Good post, love anything with cilantro and I too loved Hal and Joanne, sometimes I even see a BodyBreak commercial!

55 Jenny March 16, 2011

This looks amazing! I wish I had the ingredients right now to make this:) I’ve still yet to try spelt!

56 Sam (the neurotic yogini) March 16, 2011

looks delicious! i really need to broaden my horizons when it comes to food combining and creating.. i keep stick w/ the same old stand bys!

57 Caitlin @ The Caitie Experiment March 16, 2011

“I call her homegirl because I feel like I personally know her, but I don’t!” made me almost spit my coffee out laughing — it’s totally embarrassing, but I feel that same way about some of the bloggers I read every day! Whenever I spout off some new running tip my bf rolls his eyes and asks how CaitlinHTP is doing, and now whenever I make a dish he designates as, “odd,” he immediately asks when you posted about it (he is obsessed with the tomato-basil-crouton casserole, btw, as is my Dad)! Creepy yet flattering?

58 Claudine @ The Kathmanduo March 16, 2011

I love the idea of your spice combination for this! It reminds me a bit of a biryani, turned vegan. I can’t wait to try making it here in Nepal — just have to find a replacement for spelt berries, which I don’t think I will be able to find in the local grocery store. Not as interesting, but might brown rice be an okay substitute?

Great job with the raffle fundraiser!

59 Kate @ the pseudovegan March 16, 2011

Funny how you say that about Leslie Beck…I feel like I know you personally! A girl can dream right?? I have been reading for over a year now. You’re attitude and spirit are so inspiring!

I am gluten-free, do you think this would go well with quinoa or wild rice? I don’t know what spelt tastes like so I don’t know how to compare.

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

Yes I think wild rice would work great!

61 AGS March 16, 2011

I have not tried out this recipe, but wild rice would certainly have that nice nutty flavor and similar texture to wheat/spelt berries. In fact. . . I actually think that sounds even better! ;)

62 Shira March 16, 2011

haha Hal Johnson and Joanne McCloud…. i grew up watching them on body break too!!! that made me smile… were they a toronto/ontario thing or maybe all of canada?? i always used to wonder if they were a real life couple :) what a great job that would be! i just started reading your blog recently, i really enjoy it and the recipes and in short i find your life experiences and outlook super inspirational!!

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

I’m not sure, I would guess they are WORLD superstars! heh

64 sarah March 16, 2011

If I’m not mistaken, I think they are married, and in more ‘modern’ segments, I thought they were doing exercise and cooking with their kids. Maybe I’m wrong, but I also thought that I may one day be part of their show:)
Going to try your salad this week!

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

yes I think I have seen that too!

66 Willow March 24, 2011

I grew up in AB/BC, and they were definitely all over TV when I was a kid. Not sure about world-wide fame, but they are definitely Canada-wide famous. :)

67 mary (what's cookin' with mary) March 16, 2011

This salad sounds wonderful Ange. I bet the lemon dressing is refreshing. I’ve never tried wheatberries, but I know I’d love their chewy texture. Great recipe!

68 Ashley March 16, 2011

The success of your fundraiser is unbelievable!!! The blog world amazes me everyday! I need to try making whole spelt and see what my stomach thinks!

69 Bronwyn March 16, 2011

OH man I remember body break!! Haha, always on during my saturday morning cartoons. :D They’re bring body break back, so you know, maybe your pipe dream isn’t such a pipe dream…

70 Paije March 16, 2011

Bahahahaha you wrote Hal and Joanne a letter???? Ahhhh this just made my day. I loved them too. Keep fit and have fun :D They were so on their game lol.

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

sadly yes, yes I did. lol

72 Roz March 16, 2011

Thanks for hosting the fundraiser Angela. I donated through the Canadian Red Cross site just the day before. I know the need is great, so yay you for doing this!!!
OMG, I remember Body Break!!! Did Hal and Joanne at LEAST reply to your email???

73 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

yes they did reply with a kind email!

74 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food March 16, 2011

The combination of flavors in this dish sounds great! I think I may try it tonight! :-)

75 Lauren March 16, 2011

After seeing a few of your posts on spelt/wheat berries I decided to get some at the store. Of course I didn’t make a grocery list and somehow I came home with raw spelt groats instead of berries! Do you have any idea what they are and what I can do with them?

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

Im not positive on this one (someone correct me if im wrong!), but they might be the same thing? I would try cooking a 1/2 cup in water for about 35-40 mins and see if they become tender.

77 thehealthyapron March 16, 2011

I’m loving this recipe angela! I’ve never seen spelt berries before but I have wheat berries on hand! I am going to make this for a potluck tomorrow! Luckily they are all dietitians and I know they will appreciate something other than traditional things like potato salad! Thanks for sharing! Can’t wait to try it!

78 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 16, 2011

zomg Body Break! Any time I meet someone with the name Hal (which believe it or not, has happened 3 times in my adult life) I breakout (in my head of course) to the sound of their intro song. Best ever. I loved that show.

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

Ive had that song i my head ALL MORNING LONG. lol

80 laura March 16, 2011

This recipe looks fantastic, carrots+raisins= a great combo. :D

81 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 16, 2011

The texture of the chewiness sounds awesome…I really wish I could eat wheatberries! And the raisins and spices and herbs and carrots…mmm, good!

I came up with a recipe for what I call Curried Ginger & Raisin Lentils which has lentils, carrots, raisins, cinnamon, ginger…more of the “warming” spices. I would love to try your flavor combo and see how the raisins blend with the smoky spices and cilantro….bet it’s SUPER tasty!

As and usual, gorgeous photography, Angela :)

82 Ellie@fitforthesoul March 16, 2011

Hmmmm this looks wonderful :D Is spelt berry anything in between pearl barley and wheatberry perhaps? Have a great day!

83 Jen March 16, 2011

What a tasty salad! Looks delicious. And the photos are amazing, of course. Thanks for the recipe.

84 Angela @ My Pinky Toes March 16, 2011

Your personal story is such an inspiration! I just wanted to tell you that I love your blog and I even blogged about you in my new blog! I hope that was okay, I am new to blogging and I don’t know the rules, lol!

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

thanks so much! Of course I dont mind :)

86 lauren @ spiced plate March 16, 2011

carrot+cumin=happiest food marriage, ever. I love raisins in salads, when they soak up the juices and burst in your mouth…so delightful.

87 Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 16, 2011

Mmm this salad looks great! I have all the ingredients except for spelt berries… hmmm maybe I’ll make a quinoa salad instead?

88 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 16, 2011

What a beautiful beautiful dish! So vibrant!

89 Hannah March 16, 2011

Why oh why does almost every cafe in Canberra just sell chicken caesar salads and a “garden” salad that is lettuce, onion, olives, and tomato? Why oh why don’t more people have your wonderful creative ideas?

90 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 16, 2011

Thanks for sharing your story about your idols… to funny!!
This salad looks good.. I have never cooked with spelt berries.. or wheat berries as a matter of fact. Maybe I should make this salad for a first!

91 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 16, 2011

Ditto about Leslie Beck! I don’t get the Globe & Mail at my apartment at uni, but my dad always mails me her columns! Love her! And love the looks of this salad too. Definitely bookmarking it!

92 TanyaS March 16, 2011

I’ve had some wheatberries in my pantry forever and finally got to use them when I whipped this up for lunch this morning. They chew factor was great. Thanks for this recipe.

93 Angela (the diet book junkie) March 16, 2011

hmm….i think i’d meet you both in the middle: extra raisins served cold. thanks for sharing! :)

94 Jen March 16, 2011

I love raisins in grain dishes. This dish is right up my alley. Now I just need to buy some spelt berries. I’ve been craving them!

95 jenika March 16, 2011

LOL… wow, ok I thought I was a big fan of Body Break. You take the cake for applying to work for them, though!

To this day, I still run the jingle “Body Bre-eaak…body break!” in my mind when making Hal’s apple bran muffins cookies. Just trying to keep fit and have fun…

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

the song is still in my head even after American idol!

97 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 16, 2011

hahaha your post made me LOL! looks delicious :)

98 Paulina (One Smile Ahead) March 16, 2011

This looks awesome! I have some wheat berries and I was wondering what to do with them. I’ll definitely be trying this out. Oh and you’ve raised a lot! The fundraiser is such a great idea! It’s amazing seriously. I’ll do my part and help out as well :]

99 Leslie Paquette March 16, 2011

This looks fabulous and I coincidentally have all of the ingredients for it. I can’t wait to make this. Thanks!!

100 Cara Craves... March 16, 2011

Oh bodybreak!
I have the tune of it in my head now.
Those were the days, eh?

101 Sarah L. March 16, 2011

I have been meaning to try spelt berries and this recipe sounds delicious, I can’t wait to try it!!

102 Jenny March 17, 2011

Wow, It’s amazing how much you’ve raised!!!!

I actually live in Japan (in a completely unaffected area), and on behalf of everyone else out here, thank you! It’s really amazing to see people coming together to try to help out.

103 branny March 17, 2011

What a beautiful looking lunch

104 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 17, 2011

What a pretty salad!

105 Richelle March 17, 2011

This salad looks amazing, your pictures are beautiful. Good job on raising money for Japan!

106 thehealthyapron March 17, 2011

blogged about this dish today on my site! Loved it!

107 sally March 17, 2011

Love the combination of ingredients in this dish! It looks fantastic!

108 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 17, 2011

YUM! Carrots and Raisins are some of my favorites! :D I want to try this with wheat berries! Will it change the texture/taste very much? I don’t think it will, but I just wondered what you thought. :)

xoxo
Kathleen

109 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 18, 2011

Mmmmmmmm, cilantro!!!!

110 Janel March 21, 2011

Perfect timing! I was hunting for the perfect sweet/savory wheat berry recipe this weekend and came up so empty handed. I have enough of these ingredients to tweak your recipe a bit, Leslie’s recipe a bit, and work wtih what I’ve got – thanks! BTW always great to get to know other dietitians outside of the US – thanks for the blog “intro” to Leslie!

111 Carrie March 22, 2011

I made this recipe tonight and it was delicious!!! :) We’ll definitely be having it again!

112 Willow March 24, 2011

I just made this but used pot barley instead, and only about 1/2 bunch of cilantro. I knew I would enjoy it but was not expecting to LOVE it! Really hearty and tasty. I intended to eat it chilled but was so yummed out by the few bites I had when it was warm, I polished off a bowl. Thanks for sharing!

113 Organic Gardens Network June 4, 2012

Wow, this is a gorgeous looking salad. All of your recipes look delish! Thank you for sharing. I get a lot of good ideas to change it up.

114 Loreen August 20, 2013

Hal and Joanne are STILL awesome! Hope you had a chance to see them on Amazing Race Canada! Ps. Great recipe! :)

115 Raechel October 30, 2013

I am working on this now…but am using Farro and dried cranberries instead ;) will let you know how it turns out.

116 Erin August 25, 2014

I love this recipe! I added chick peas too. It turned out great for a quick lunch on the go!

117 Debraj76 May 2, 2015

First recipe I’ve made from your newly-discovered blog and it was wonderful! Served this with veggie hummus wraps, and we’ll have leftovers tomorrow night with Chicken Soulvaki. Can’t wait to further explore your blog and get your cookbook. Nice job!

118 Alyssa April 13, 2016

Made this salad for supper tonight using red wheat berries instead of the spelt and added in some cooked brown lentils for protein. It was absolutely delicious! I loved the pop of sweetness from the raisins. It was light, yet hardy. Can’t wait for tomorrow to eat up the leftovers!