Maple-Cinnamon Superseed Almond Butter

IMG_2668

Last June, my blog buddy Ashley came for a visit! It was our first time meeting ‘in real life’. I was nervous and basically had hot flashes anticipating her arrival.

IMG_9486b2

Luckily, we hit it off.  :)

We bonded over foodie gifts..

IMG_9499IMG_9500

Oatmeal.

IMG_95312

[That would be my favourite VOO –> Cherry Chocolate Bomb Vegan Overnight Oats]

Photography…

IMG_95201_of_13

And hiking!

IMG_1558

Oh, and nut butter. It was on this visit that Ashley gave me some of her Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter and Salt-Kissed Cashew Butter.  Before then, I was always a Homemade Raw Almond Butter kinda gal, but she inspired me to experiment with other homemade nut butter flavours!

I have since made 4 Ingredient Dark Chocolate Almond Butter

IMG_8863_thumb

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter                                       and Dark Chocolate Pecan Butter

IMG_8759_thumbIMG_9019_thumb

Clearly my nut butters are simply another vessel for chocolate. I blame PMS.

Yesterday, I made a spin-off of Ashley’s Vanilla Bean Maple Almond Butter. It was also inspired by Naturally Nutty’s Cinnamon Vanilla Almond Butter made with chia, flax, and hemp seed that I spotted on Kath Eats. I thought the idea of adding chia, flax, and hemp seed was a great way to sneak in more nutrients.

And I’m totally down for anything that gives me another reason to eat nut butter!

IMG_2682

Maple-Cinnamon Superseed Almond Butter

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

5 from 1 reviews

This is easily the most delicious almond butter I've ever tasted! The secret to this incredible nut butter is to coat the almonds in maple syrup, hemp hearts, chia seeds, and flaxseeds, and then roast it all until fragrant and golden. After processing for about 5 to 10 minutes, it turns into the creamiest, "drippy" nut butter ever. I love adding a healthy portion of cinnamon, fine sea salt, and pure vanilla bean powder (or extract) to take it over the top. You'll be enjoying this spread straight out of the processor bowl—I can promise you that! I recommend using a heavy-duty food processor when making nut butters; the smaller machines just don't have the power to do the job and might burn out.

Yield

• 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla bean powder

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix together the almonds, flaxseeds, hemp hearts, chia seeds, and maple syrup until combined.
  2. Spread the almond mixture onto baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
  3. Remove from oven and allow the almond mixture to cool for 10 minutes before placing into a food processor.
  4. Add the almonds into the food processor along with the coconut oil. Process for about 5 to 10 minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl every 60 seconds, or as needed. (Be sure to leave the processor chute uncovered so the steam from the almonds can escape.) The mixture will be very drippy and smooth when ready.
  5. Add in the cinnamon, salt, and vanilla and process until combined.
  6. Remove the almond butter and store in a glass jar or a container with an airtight lid. If the almond butter is still warm, allow it to come to room temperature before securing the lid.

IMG_2629IMG_2494

Have you ever made homemade nut butter before?

It is really quite easy if you have a processor or blender that will do the work. This recipe requires more time than any nut butter recipe I have made before (due to the almond roasting), but it was so worth it in the end!

Mix together the almonds, chia, flax, hemp, and maple syrup. Spread out onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring once half way through, at 300F.

IMG_2510 IMG_2513

After 30 minutes of roasting:

IMG_2523

Eric came into the kitchen when I was making this yesterday morning and he said, ’Mmm it smells amazing in here! WOW!

When I told him that I was making nut butter, he was crushed (he hates nut butter).

He thought I was making waffles!

I pity the fool.

IMG_2525

For the first 5 minutes of processing, stop and scrape down the bowl every 30-60 seconds as needed. In the initial stages, I stop every 30 seconds or so.

After 5 minutes (half-way point):

IMG_2530

After 5 more minutes of processing, my nut butter was ready! I added in the cinnamon, salt, and vanilla around minute 9.

I won’t tell you how much fun licking the bowl is. That would just be mean.

IMG_2532

It makes about 1 and 1/4 cup.

IMG_2536 IMG_2546

The result is an almond butter with a deep roasted flavour and layers of nuttiness with just a hint of sweetness. I didn’t detect the chia, hemp, or flax flavours specifically, but I was happy knowing they were in there!

I enjoyed some apple slices spread with nut butter and strawberry jam.

IMG_2591I

Unreal!

The clean up for this photoshoot was also a good time. ;)

IMG_2672

If you’d like to make chunky almond butter, you can process or chop some almonds and then stir it back into the almond butter. I think I will try that next time!

Does anyone know if I can make nut butter in my Vitamix without a DRY container? I’m scared to ruin it!

Have a great Monday!

1 Michelle March 14, 2011

Dont you love when you meet new peeps and hit it off!!?? Love the pics of you two taking pics.

2 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 14, 2011

That first shot– geez Louise!!!! This nut butter looks downright luscious!

3 Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 14, 2011

Funny, I made nut butter this weekend and was wondering if adding chia seeds would work. Now I know for next time!

4 lauren @ spiced plate March 14, 2011

maple! cinnamon! almonds! flax! hemp! chia!
sorry. I’m a bit excited — these are a few of my favorite things, combined into one lovely spread. I would love some, right now, just a whole jar to myself to graze on all day.

Thanks for this lovely recipe!

5 Annie@stronghealthyfit March 14, 2011

That looks and sounds amazing!!! Wish i had a stronger food processor…
I can’t believe Eric doesn’t like nut butter!

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I know, eh? He says it’s a texture issue! haha

7 JenATX March 14, 2011

Craziness! At least he likes chocolate right?

8 Hannah March 14, 2011

Aaah Angela this sounds SO good! It’s so easy to make your own “nutzo” peanut butter/almond butter without paying $15 or whatever it is. Plus, it’s more fun because you control how much of each ingredient you want to put in. The only thing that sucks is clean up. There is nothing enjoyable about cleaning a sticky, gooey food processor! :P

9 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 14, 2011

YUM! This looks so delicious I could probably eat it all on its own! I’ve been meaning to try making my own nut butter in my food processor – I don’t have a Vitamix though so I can’t really advise there. Great photos as usual! :)

10 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 14, 2011

Isn’t it nice to just hit it off with someone right away? That is so great!

The nut butter looks amazing — I’ve never tried Naturally Nutty but they have the most interesting flavors!

No clue about your VitaMix question…

11 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life March 14, 2011

Gorgeous nut butter photo. Wow!

12 Alex @ Healing Beauty March 14, 2011

I love your nut butter recipes!

13 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food March 14, 2011

I have never made my own nut butter. I have a reason to now! That looks delicious! :-)

14 Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 14, 2011

This nut butter sounds absolutely divine! And I love how it’s got so much good stuff packed in there! Fabulous!!

15 Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo March 14, 2011

Ooo, great photos! The nut butter looks amazing, but I don’t think my little food processor is powerful enough for that…I’m just waiting for a Vitamix. ;-)

16 Kayla March 14, 2011

I made almond butter last night in a DRY container in the Vitamix. Usually I just use my wet one, because I think it’s more powerful anyway. The DRY container didn’t do as good as a job as my wet container, so I definitely think you could make nut butter in your wet container. Cleanup is a disaster, though. :)

17 Jamie March 14, 2011

Hey, I was going shopping for the week yesterday and was always thinking I am missing shopping… I was wondering when you make all this delcious things I was wondering what does your usual shopping list entail…? Cause I would like to go to the store perpared next time he he

18 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman March 14, 2011

Oh yum. I think adding flax into nut butter makes it a million times better. And I love the maple addition. That little bit of sweet tastes great, I bet.

19 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' March 14, 2011

I made cashew butter in my standard Vita-Mix container, and it worked really well! I blended JUST cashews– no additional oil or anything– on LOW, and used the tamper to push down the cashews until it was butter-like. I tried the same thing with almonds… and had little success. I didn’t burn-out my blender, but additional oil would have been a good idea!

I think almonds are a harder nut than cashews, so I think any “soft” nut would work well in the Vita-Mix (i.e. cashews, pecans, walnuts). My sister-in-law actually just burned-out her Vita-Mix making coconut butter, so you never know what might do it! Eek! I think I’ll stick to the food processor for my almond butter for now…

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

ahhh yea that is what scares me!

21 Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 14, 2011

I had a lot of trouble trying to make coconut butter in my vitamix. In the end, I had to add some coconut oil, and even then, it’s not creamy. I was kind of disappointed :(

But almond butter works just fine in my vitamix!

22 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit March 15, 2011

I make all my nut butters in the vita dry container- no oil or anything.

the trick is to start out at a low speed and use the tamper, and gradually go higher in speed to get is more smooth :)

23 Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com March 14, 2011

Looks incredible! Interesting that you baked the nuts and seeds before adding them to the food processor. I probably would have just thrown them in raw. Any difference?

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

baking them gives the nut butter a really nice roasted flavour, although Im sure you could make it raw if you prefer!

25 Charlie March 14, 2011

This nut butter sounds so good! I love anything with maple syrup & anything with cinnamon… and now they are both in a nut butter! Have to try!

26 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 14, 2011

I’ve never tried making my own nut butter, but it’s definitely on the to-do list since I have a high-quality kitchenaid food processor. This recipe sounds fantastic Angela – I love all the seeds! Wonderful photography as well!

xxoo
Heather

27 Jackie @ Baking Charms March 14, 2011

I NEED to get a food processor that won’t break on me while trying to make nut butter! I’ve toasted two of them so far and am scared to buy another :( Any suggestions??

28 Kandi March 14, 2011

Me too. I need to buy a processor and would make lots of butter in it as well so I’d be curious to know what processor you use also Angela? Thanks!

29 carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream March 14, 2011

OMG that looks yummy! How did those almonds even make it into the food processor!

30 Kelsey March 14, 2011

AMAZING! I’m such a fan Naturally Nutty peanut butter; great idea to make your own version. So much cheaper! I will definitely be trying this goodness!

31 Jess March 14, 2011

Thanks for another GREAT recipe! Where do you get all of your cute jars??!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

which ones?

33 Jess March 14, 2011

The cute little mason one at the top of your post. So cute, I have a hard time finding jars!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I got it at Wal mart :)

35 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 14, 2011

YUM!!! I bet it smells amazing! I’d be licking each and every one of the spoons that’s in the pictures, LOL.

36 Julie @ Shining From Within March 14, 2011

MUST. MAKE. THIS. ASAP.

37 Bridget March 14, 2011

I really regret not having nut butter at breakfast now that i’ve seen these pics.

38 Heather (heathers dish) March 14, 2011

Ashley’s nut butters are so addicting! Love this version :)

39 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 14, 2011

Great idea adding the seeds and roasting the almonds. I’m going to be thinking about this all day! This may be what it takes to get me to go buy a new food processor. My old standard just isn’t cutting it anymore.

40 Allison Powers March 14, 2011

Yes! You can make nut butter in your Vitamix wet container. In fact, I think that is the one they recommend using….or at least that is the one I use. It makes nut butter in 3 minutes. I found that the small (32 oz) container does a better job at it than the 64 oz. And, another secret….turn up the speed slowly before flipping to high. Happy grinding!

41 Rachel March 14, 2011

My mom’s VitaMix is REALLY old school and there wasn’t even such thing as a “dry container”. She makes peanut butter in it at least once a month so I bet you’d be fine!

42 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) March 14, 2011

this looks amazing, and i love the addition of hemp flax and chia! perfect! maple + any nut butter is definitely a winner in my book :)

43 Caitlin @ The Caitie Experiment March 14, 2011

The only nut butter I’ve ever made at home was actually YOUR recipe for the dark chocolate almond butter! I’ve made it twice, and the first time it was seriously the. most. amazing. thing. ever…. I ate so much of it straight and drippy from the processor that I barely had any left to stick in the fridge and get to that amazing ganache-like texture! The second batch I think I messed up the proportions and my processor kept trying to jump off the counter, but it was delicious anyway!

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

haha yikes! processors can be crazy at times. Glad you enjoyed it!

45 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) March 14, 2011

Looks SO GOOD!! Nothing beats homemade nut butter!! I’m gonna try to make cinnamon raisin nut butter soon cos I have a serious craving!! :P

46 Lauren March 14, 2011

This looks so delicious!!! I make all of my own nut butters but I haven’t ventured into flavors yet, this inspires me to do so right away! :)

47 Kathryn March 14, 2011

Dying of want. DYING.

48 Michelle | gold-hearted girl March 14, 2011

I love Ashley’s blog! These pictures are amazing!

49 Roz March 14, 2011

How fun to meet your blog buddy in person!!! And wow…I’m seriously regretting the jar of almond butter I bought yesterday. I’m sure it’s NOT NEARLY as delicious as your home made version must be.
Have a great day.

50 Amber K March 14, 2011

How can Eric not like nut butter? I think I’m just baffled, because I LOVE it. My husband isn’t a huge fan, but he’ll eat it if I specifically put it on or in something. :)

51 kate@ahealthypassion March 14, 2011

Omg this looks amazing, I just made ashleys cookie dough almond butter and was in heaven.. as far as the vitamix, ive used it to make nut butters numerous times with the wet blade and it works just fine except you have to keep tamping down the nuts which is a major arm workout, I prefer the food processor its less work!

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

thanks for the tip!

53 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious March 14, 2011

My husband would choose Skippy PB over any nut butter. There are some battles I cannot win! I’ve never made my own nut butter, but I think I will have to try. I love cashew butter and almond butter…especially when chocolate is added!

54 Jennifer March 14, 2011

Love the addition of chia, what a great idea! :) Definitely adding the ingredients to the grocery list for the week, thank you! (And…thanks for the photography inspiration. You are SO great at photo journaling)

55 Alaina Rose @ Sweetness of Life March 14, 2011

That looks so wonderful! Lately I have been putting hemp seeds, chia seeds and flax seeds into everything. And my favorite nut butter right now happens to be Justin’s Maple Almond Butter. So that’s perfect! :-) I am sooooo making this. I am in desperate need of a new food processor though. I think I might have to go out and buy myself a present today! A good food processor is definitely a necessity!

56 marla {family fresh cooking} March 14, 2011

I do not make homemade nut butters and it is essential that I do. We go through so many jars each week. Loving how many goodies you have in yours. How sweet was that visit you had with Ashley. You gals are so cute together. xo

57 Gina March 14, 2011

I’ve wondered the same thing about the Vitamix! Hopefully someone knows the answer.

Eric doesn’t like nut butters?!! I think we need to have an intervention…

58 Ashley March 14, 2011

Awwwwww!! Brought a tear to my eye. I was just looking at the photos from our visit the other day. :) Your latest nut butter looks amazing! I have added flax to one of the nut butters before and LOVED it. That’s awesome that you didn’t have to add any extra oil, either. I always seem to have to add 1T when I use the maple syrup. Looks perfect though!! Wish we lived closerrrrrrr…we could totally help each other w/the reno projects!

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I know, the renos would be much more fun if we could blog about them together…hah.
PS- I find that the maple syrup can make it really thick too (I think it is the coldness of it firming it up?), so I added all 3 tbsp to the roasting part and didnt add any while processing. It seemed to work a bit better for me because I didnt need any oil. I’m not sure if it changes thr flavour though, but it was still tasty!

60 JL Goes Vegan March 14, 2011

Gorgeous and delicious!! Wow!

61 Ashley March 14, 2011

p.s. i’m coming to steal your natural light!

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

you can have it, it’s called Lightroom. LOL

63 Ashley March 14, 2011

p.p.s. i was having hot flashes wondering why i decided to drive to Canada in the middle of the night, lol…border crossing at 10pm, alone..sure why not!

64 Ana March 14, 2011

Yes, the vitamix work! I don’t have a food processor (I know, the horror!), and only have the regular container of my vitamix, and I make all my nut butters as well as my coconut buter in the vitamix!
It works like magic, just make sure to have enough ingredients to come above the blade so it gets properly mixed, use the tamper as needed to push the nuts (or coconut) down and whiz it away, works perfectly!
Ana

65 Sarah @ becoming-sarah March 14, 2011

Wow, you’ve inspired me… I really need to branch out and try making something other than plain almond butter. Now if only I could hand in some homemade nut butter to my prof instead of the 10 page essay I have due…

66 Jenn from Much to My Delight March 14, 2011

That was the most delicious looking post I’ve ever read. That creamy, drippy, sweet stuff is almost too much for me to bear. If I had a food processor and a bag of nuts in my office I’d be whipping up some of that goodness right now.

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

hehe thanks!

68 Ashley March 14, 2011

This looks amazing! I want to make all your nut butter recipes– but I have one question (and sorry if it sounds silly!) but I only have a blender (not a food processor or super awesome blender). Is it possible to make the nut butter in it? I’m assuming it’s possible, it’ll just take longer?

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I’ve heard it is possible using a Vitamix, but I don’t think it would work with a normal blender. Some commenters above even said it was tough with a Vitamix.

70 Ashley March 14, 2011

Aw, that just means I get to invest in a good food processor;) Have any advice on a good brand?

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I use a 12 cup Kitchen aid and it works pretty good, although not flawless.

72 Ashley March 14, 2011

Awesome! Thank you:) I’ve always wanted a Kitchen Aid mixer– both that and a food processor are just going on my wish list for now:)

73 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 14, 2011

Such a good idea to cook the other seeds with your almonds! And what a nice tribute to Ash!

74 Tami March 14, 2011

You can use the wet blade to make nut butters. I do it all the time. The cd I got from vitamix made it in wet blade so don’t be scared! I’m definitely going to make this today! Yummy!

75 Sam (the neurotic yogini) March 14, 2011

OMGOSH! Looks tasty! I need a food processor STAT!!!

76 Baking 'n' Books March 14, 2011

Do you make homemade Jam? Or what kind do you get?

…I have no idea if my comments are even showing up…I don’t think they are..

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

Nope, that was just store bought PC strawberry jam. Love that stuff.
I checked my comments and I didnt have any in my spam for you, although occasionally I will miss some.

78 Baking 'n' Books March 14, 2011

I love that Jam! Love the big strawberry chunks :)

79 Jenny March 14, 2011

I love nut butters!!! YUM!

80 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 14, 2011

Ashley has the best nutbutter recipes! This looks delicious.

81 ASK March 14, 2011

Yea, it’s absolutely no problem making nut butters in the vitamix wet container. I’ve done it for almond, walnut, and peanut butters before. That said, a food processor is better than the vitamix just for ease of cleaning. It takes a while to scrape all of the nut butter out of the vitamix; it’s so much easier to take out the blade of the food processor and gather up every last bit of the butter, or so I imagine. I don’t have a food processor, so I stick with the vitamix.

82 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe March 14, 2011

This looks delicious, Angela! I’ve made nut butter in the wet container of my Vitamix many times, and it worked just fine. I had to keep it at a low speed for much of the process and keep pushing down with the tamper, but it came out really smooth. I’m totally inspired to try new ad ins now! I’ve been debating getting a small food processor. I used to have a food processor attachment on my blender, but then my blender broke and I replaced it with my Vitamix.

Do you think it’s worth it to buy a food processor if i already have a Vitamix? What kinds of things to do you think are better done in a food processor, if any?

83 Ellie@fitforthesoul March 14, 2011

Wowww~Delicious! I have made nut butters at home many times, but they never come out creamy like that b/c of the processor i think. But maybe I just didn’t process as long as I should have?

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I can’t comment on your processor…but I can tell you that I am sometimes tempted to stop too soon, but if I process a couple minutes longer, it become soooooo drippy. I think it is because the machine also heats it up a lot as it processes! The blade was SO hot I almost burned my finger on it!

85 Ellie@fitforthesoul March 14, 2011

ohhhh kkkkkkkk thank you so much for comment! now it’s not so discouraging to keep churning it, b/c sometimes i’m scared it’ll break haha :)

86 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 14, 2011

Ohhh my gosh goodness gracious. Those are my four favorite ingredients in the whole entire world. I am making this now!!

87 Heather March 14, 2011

Hi Angela – when I bought my vitamix at the home show the rep told me I could make nut butter in it. I only have the wet blade. He told me the dry blade was if you were grinding your own flour. I haven’t tried it yet though.

88 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 14, 2011

The nut butter looks amazing and I bet your house smelled WONDERFULLY with the smell of roasting nuts, maple, cinnamon. Oh my. :)

The posts of you and Ashley. I remember those! It feels like a lifetime ago…and just a minute ago. I would love to meet both of you!

I would love to have a hike, have photography chats, and have a drink or two with you amazing ladies :)

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

You are welcome any time! I suggest post-May though when it warms up… ;)

90 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 14, 2011

what a great idea! you are so creative, it continues to amaze me!

91 Ana March 14, 2011

I’d love to try this recipe- thanks for sharing it! How long can you keep homemade nut butters? I think we’ll eat this one far before it’s expiration date!!

92 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I would guess they would keep as long as store bought natural nut butters. Ive never had one go bad on me before. I would guess at least 3-4 weeks.

93 sarah March 14, 2011

Where do you get those teeny mason jars, they are too cute. Must find some soon. I’m in Ontario, do you usually find them at the grocery store???

Thanks!

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I think I got the small ones at Wal-Mart in their canning/kitchen section :)

95 Kath March 14, 2011

Oh boy I could just dive into that!

Also, meant to say I love your new favicon :)

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

Thanks!
I won’t tell you how long it took me to create one. LOL

97 Kath March 14, 2011

I’m sure we could compete for “most hours wasted figuring out favicons” :)

98 Ally (oatsandspice) March 14, 2011

Why do you always make the BESTTT recipes?! I wish I could come up with the amazing things that you do! Thanks for sharing girly :)

99 Namaste Gurl March 14, 2011

Oh my goodness, hemp, chia, almonds, and flax? What a nutritional powerhouse nut butter this is indeed! I am SO on it when I find some free- time in my busy schedule! Good call on ingredients!

100 Jennifer March 14, 2011

Hey Angela,
I have two recipes from the vita prep cookbook, if you want to send your email to me I can scan them and send them off to you. One is hazelnut and the other is peanut or cashew butter.

101 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

Thanks Jennifer! I think I have the cookbook you speak of, I will have to check!

102 AGS March 14, 2011

I’m sorry I can’t answer your question, but I do have some rather ground-breaking news: I finally got around to making my own coconut butter. I used my plain jane Oster blender, and it did a pretty great job. I wanted to make your vegan macaroons for a party this coming weekend, and am relieved/happy that the first step worked out so well.

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

That is great!!!
I have heard such great things about the Oster!

104 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 14, 2011

o.my. must make asap :)

105 laura March 14, 2011

I miss my almond butter!
This looks fantastic.

106 Betsy March 14, 2011

I’m with Eric, I HATE nut butters, peanut, soynut, almost – you name it – what is wrong with me? I enjoyed the post nonetheless, I just cannot get excited about ground up gooey nuts!

107 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 14, 2011

I’m dying to make my own almond butter but I’m not sure if my food processor can handle it. Do you think a small 3-cup Cuisinart will do the job?

108 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 14, 2011

I have never made my own almond butter because I don’t have a food processor … but this recipe is reason enough to go and buy one!

109 Kathryn March 14, 2011

Oh man, I came buy to drool over the nut butter again before I leave work for the day (I’m sad) and I read a little more closely about the hubs coming into the kitchen. I read “I pity the fool” and totally laughed out loud in a dead silent office. Nice.

110 Pia March 14, 2011

You can use the wet container to make nut butters with your vitamix. Just so you know, in the Vitamix recipe book, whenever you need to use the dry blade container, it is specified in the recipe. It is not specified for nut butters. There is an online demo on the vitamix site (can’t see the blade tho’), you may want to check it out.

111 Pia March 14, 2011

Oop! here’s the link to the video on the vitamix site…

112 Vegyogini March 14, 2011

I’m pretty sure the dry VitaMix container is for milling flour from grains, not for nut butter. I’ve made nut butter in my VitaMix before, though, and it is such a pain to clean out from under the blade. It’s easier in a food processor. :)

113 Eileen March 15, 2011

Good Morning! This might help you to clean your Vitamix. Whenever I make something “gooey” that is hard to clean I put a few drops of dish soap and fill about a quarter of the way with water. Then I put the blender on high for about a minute or so… VIOLA! CLEAN!

114 Jodi March 14, 2011

Great photos, keep it up!!!

115 Jen March 14, 2011

After reading the pasta post where you mentioned that Eric “forgot” to eat lunch, and now reading that he hates nut butter…I think I’ve come to the conclusion that he’s nuts (pun intended). Your nut butters look more amazing than any others I’ve seen! I’m afraid to think about how much nut butter I would eat if I lived in your house.

By the way, those almonds look like they’d be a yummy snack straight from the oven!

116 Jess@HealthyExposures March 14, 2011

I love the addition of all the seeds in this!! I love experimenting with nut butters, too. that moment where it goes from a lumpy ball to a smooth, spreadable nut butter… It’s like magic :]

117 Mel S March 14, 2011

I just read your posts of your visit with Ashley, how fun! The nut butter sounds amazing! I will definitely be making this as soon as I return from Florida :) Your recipes have inspired me to try vegan diet for a week. I never realized the vast variety of vegan food! If you are ever in upstate NY, I would love to meet up with you!

118 Kristen March 14, 2011

Thank goodness for you + Ashley! You have both saved my life with these nut butters – not to mention my wallet! Naturally Nutty’s is my absolute FAVORITE nut butter around because of the smooth yet gritty texture, but at $8.99 a jar, they’re a little pricey. I will need to go pick up some hemp seeds to try your recipe out! Thanks for all your amazing recipes!

119 Odette @ theonlyplanetwithchocolate March 14, 2011

This post just seals the fact that I need a food processor!! Those voo and the nut butter both look so delicious- can’t wait to try them! :)

120 Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie March 14, 2011

Okay, I’ve GOT to replace my burned out food processor so I can start making some of these delicious nut butters!

121 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 14, 2011

I can imagine how much fun the cleanup was. This nut butter looks tasty + delicious! I love adding flax to my nut butter to give it some crunch but I’ve never thought to add chia!

122 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 14, 2011

I didn’t read through all the comments (119!) so I’m assuming you already got your answer, but just in case you didn’t, YES you can make nut butter in the wet container of the Vita Mix. Actually the recipe book it comes with recommends using the wet container, not the dry. I always use the wet.

This nut butter looks amazing!! All of yours look amazing.

123 kaila @ healthy helper! March 14, 2011

YUMMY, YUMMY, and MORE YUMMY! I live for nut butter and this one packs so much flavor and nutrition! Can’t wait to try it out! If only I had a vita mix :(

124 Hannah March 15, 2011

Some of my closest friends are women I’ve met through blogging, so I know the amazing feeling of really connecting in person for the first time when you were a bit nervous! Also… this nut butter…. YES YES YES.

125 Lana March 15, 2011

I’m watching the Food Network as we speak (type) and Sandra Lee just sprayed her measuring cups with cooking spray so the honey and peanut butter easily come out of the measuring cups…pretty nifty, eh?! (thought it might be useful, lol)
Anywho, that almond butter looks heavenly!

126 Eileen March 15, 2011

LOVE your blog!! I make EVERYTHING in my Vitamix. I only have a “wet” container and all dry ingredients do fine. I just make sure that I mix all my dry ingredients first and set aside, if necessary. You can have nut butter in seconds! Just use the tamper that came with the blender to push down the ingredients to keep them moving. I’ve had my vitamix for almost 6 years, it was the BEST Valentines Day gift my hubby has ever gotten for me!!!

127 Toni March 15, 2011

I’ve never tried making my own nut butter which is silly considering nut butter is really difficult to find where I live. I guess I always thought it was really complicated and difficult to make! Thanks for sharing, I will have to try this – it looks pretty easy!

128 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 15, 2011

This maple almond butter looks so good and makes me want to step out of the box a bit and try and make my own. YUM!

I don’t think you need a dry blade for the vitamix to make nut butter. I don’t have a dry blade although I have made “cookie dough balls” (all dry ingredients; cashews, dates and all) and it was totally fine! It was a bit scary because it made a bit more noise but there was no problem. I was worried.. actually scared I was going to ruin it too.. BUT thankfully it didn’t!
If you try it, please let me know how it works and maybe i’ll try my own.

129 Richelle March 15, 2011

Wow, this sounds and looks amazing. I don’t have a food processor and am afraid to try making nut butter in my blender. At least I can drool over you pictures!

130 Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy March 15, 2011

How could someone not like nut butter? :)

Seriously, it’s probably my all-time favorite food – I’m not sure I could live without it!!

131 veganlisa March 15, 2011

I love that I posted my own Cinnamon Maple Almond Butter inspired by Ashley on the same day as your fantastic post. I think next time we should just make a double batch together and share the clean-up.

132 Jennifer Drummond March 15, 2011

I just made this and OMG! This is so good!!! Getting ready to cut up some apples as we speak! It was so easy and so yummy!! Thank you for sharing the recipe! I am enjoying your site! Lots of great recipes!!!!

133 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 15, 2011

glad to hear!!!!

134 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 16, 2011

I love your camera!! :D

I especially love that you used Hemp seeds in this! You don’t see that very often! :D

xoxox
Kathleen

135 Anita March 19, 2011

Could I make this with pre-roasted almonds instead of raw, and a mix of honey and golden syrup instead of maple syrup? Maple syrup isn’t readily available where I live.

136 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 20, 2011

I would guess that yes you could substitute those ingredients, but I’m not positive since I have not tried it before. Goodluck!

137 Jenny March 19, 2011

I just made this almond butter a few minutes ago and i am enjoying it with a banana right now. AMAZING! Mine didn’t turn out quite as creamy as yours, more like a paste, but who cares when it takes this delicious! Thanks for the great recipes! I always look forward to seeing what you come up with!

138 Brigitte March 22, 2011

I made this almond butter yesterday and it’s absolutely amazing. i didn’t put the cinnamon though, thought it would take away from the maple syrup.

Love your website Angela, lots of great recipes and great pictures, i’ve even made your website my home page!

139 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 22, 2011

aww thanks!

140 Emily March 22, 2011

o.m.g.

I am sitting in front of my television dipping my scraper into my vat of almond butter and licking away. SO DELICIOUS! Thanks Angela!

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 22, 2011

haha NICE!!! You just described…my entire winter? lol

142 Renata March 29, 2011

Hi Angela! I just have to say I made this last night and ate some right away. It was so delicious and this morning during my workout I felt SUPER FUELED. It’s magic… Thanks :)

143 jocelyn April 4, 2011

i dont get it, i have a kitchen aid food processor which looks just like this one and i processed it for 20 minuites and it has barely done anything exept get stuck ever 2 seconds!!! im pulling out my hair, what do i do? definatley NO butter in sight!

144 Sophie April 20, 2012

Hi Angela!

I’ve made this recipe many times :) LOVE it!!!

Actually, my question is about the spoon and the red bowls in the picture. I have been shopping around for some new things for the kitchen, and was wondering where you got the little red bowls? It is so cute! What about the green measuring cup? A good set of those would be nice…

Thanks!
Sophie

145 Janie June 18, 2012

How do you store your nut butter? In the pantry or do I need to refrigerate? How long does it last?

Thank you for answering my questions! Can’t wait to try the recipe!

xoxo
Janie

146 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012

I store it in the fridge and it will last over a month in an air tight container :)

147 Valerie July 4, 2012

I don’t have any hemp seed, do you think this would work without it?

148 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2012

yes for sure! Just make sure you use a heavy duty processor as smaller processors sometimes can’t make nut butters.

149 Natalie July 31, 2012

I made this this afternoon in my Vitamix, and it is AWESOME! I have one question though regarding making your own homemade nut butters: How long do they last? Should they be refrigerated? I look forward to checking more out on your blog! You have lovely photos!

150 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 1, 2012

Hey Natalie, Yes for sure put it in a container in the fridge. It will last for a while- at least 2-3 weeks if not longer. Enjoy!

151 Carole - FlowerTowne November 20, 2012

I just made this delicious nut butter, and then I added it to some of the banana soft serve I made…yummy! Quick question…is it better to refrigerate the nut butter or not? Thanks for yet another awesome recipe!

152 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2012

Yes I always refrigerate the nut butter – it can last over a month or longer in the fridge! :)

153 Carole- FlowerTowne November 21, 2012

Thank you for continuing to inspire me ;)

154 Ashley December 7, 2012

I just made this and it is delicious!! It is my first homemade nut butter ever and I am very impressed. Of course I knew your recipe wouldn’t fail me, I have so much success with all of your recipes!

155 Brittany January 14, 2013

Shoul this be stored in the pantry or in the fridge?

156 Anna January 29, 2013

I “made” this with raw almonds. I don’t know what happened but it NEVER turned into almond butter. Hours and hours in the Cuisinart, still a lumpy, greasy mess.

On the bright side, though, I found that that lumpy, greasy mess made the most EXCELLENT little Tootsie Rolls.

157 virginia April 19, 2013

Yes, you definitely can use the wet container of your Vitamix. In fact that’s the one you’re supposed to use for nut butters. Roasting helps the almonds release their natural oils, thereby making a more successful and quick nut butter. I finally bought dry roasted almonds, no salt, no added oil. After numerous unsuccessful attempts at making raw almond butter in a food processor and my vitamix, the dry roasted almonds were like a miracle! Delicious, creamy and warm almond butter in my vitamix super fast, probably under three minutes. Yes, you do use the tamper and it’s a good workout for your arms, but oh so worth it!

158 Katie Murphy May 7, 2013

I just made this maple cinnamon almond butter and it’s AMAZING. I normally don’t like almond butter, but this one is a keeper. yum.

159 CHLOE May 11, 2013

How long does this keep?

160 colleen November 25, 2013

how do you store you’re almond butter? Fridge? Pantry? Im curious as to which keeps it at a better consistency…obviously fridge will keep it longer, but I’m not concerned with this sitting around too long :)

Vitamix: I make nut butters in it all the time. Typically cashew or sunflower which are softer, but i add melted coconut oil to it to aid the blending process which make my vitamix should less like its dying.

161 Julia December 18, 2013

I know this is an older post, but in an attempt to make yummy, not full of sugar vegan presents, I gave this recipe a whirl. Delicious! I am labeling it hippy almond butter (because of the hemp seed- and to be funny). Also, I start all almond butter in my (wet)Vitamix pitcher (to crunch everything evenly) then process in my cuisinart. It’s more to clean but doesn’t overheat the food processor as much. Plus you can make a smoothie after too. Thanks for your creative recipes! All the best!!

162 ofcorset April 1, 2014

So I made this delicious recipe but did not have a food processor strong enough. It never really turned into butter. What it did make is an amazingly delicious sprinkle for my overnight soaked oatmeal and yogurt. Absolutely wonderful.

163 Kathy May 16, 2014

I know this is an older post, but I have been trying to make almond butter at home (for a couple years) and it has not turned out at all. I have a regular food processor and an 800W blender. I had tried the processor on several occasions and it would puree the nuts, but would go no further with them. So this time I started them in the blender and it whirled them until they stuck to the sides of the blender and the blade simply spun around without touching the butter. So I transferred the goop to the processor and whirled away. I worked on the mess for 3 days (not a total of 3 days, but as time permitted). I finally got the nuts to form a ball, but the processor got so hot you couldn’t touch the base and every time I took the lid off to stir the nuts, smoke came out. My almond goop never got smooth and creamy. It was like a playdough paste and would go no further. Is that because I don’t have a powerful enough processor? Or was i doing something incorrectly. This got so frustrating I finally gave up. Thanks for any tips you can offer.

164 Anastasiia July 12, 2014

LOVE THIS! I tried to make it today and it wasn’t turning into a creamy paste and was so dry. I used dry roasted almonds, may be it’s that? So I just added 1/2 cup of almond milk and kept spinning and it finally turned out the way i like it.

165 Mandy July 19, 2014

This sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try it! How long does it stay good for and does it need to be refrigerated or not? Thanks :)

166 Ginakins August 23, 2014

I made this almond butter and it is to die for! My husband can’t get enough and my friends keep bugging me to make more. I will next try the 4 ingredient chocolate almond.
Thanks so much for sharing your recipes, can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

167 Diane P March 4, 2015

If I only have ground flax can I use that? If so, how much do I use?

168 marie March 10, 2015

Looks amazing and nutritional with nuts like almonds which are good for brain health

169 Elaine March 11, 2015

I’ve been trying to make the Almond Butter in the food process0ror but even tho the blend was steaming, it is still crumbly and won’t hold together. Can you tell me what I’m doing wrong? I processed it for at least 15 minutes.

170 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2015

Hi Elaine, Sorry to hear that! What kind of food processor are you using? I find smaller machines don’t always work. I use a heavy duty 12 or 14 cup processor by Cuisinart and it works every time. Hope this helps!

171 carin March 16, 2015

I have made this a number of times. The only time it actually “worked” and looked like creamy almond butter whas the first time. While it always tastes delicious, every other the almond butter doesn’t stick together. I have pureed it for up to 20+ minutes. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

172 Dennis April 2, 2015

I tried this receive twice but couldn’t get to look how it looks in the picture so I have two questions?
Q
1. How to roast nuts and seeds without sticking? since I am using maple syrup, most of the seeds just sticks and I can’t even use them
2. And how do I get liquid constitancy? I have ran the food rocessor for about 15 minutes and it was still a bit hard not the kind I see in the picture.

173 Olivia Morffew April 27, 2015

I made this and nearly ate it all in one hit. It taste majestical :D

174 Georgia Thompson June 3, 2015

I attempted this last night in my Vita-mix…I DON’T have a dry container. So…I read the instructions in my Vita-mix manual for making Peanut Butter. Said to blend raw peanuts for 1 minute, no more than that or it will mess up the unit. So I blended the almonds for 1 minute…no luck. I let it rest for 2 minutes then blended for another minute. still not good, it was a dry heap of almond powder! I added some coconut oil and it started to come together, blending in 30 second intervals. I was so scared to mess up my machine!!! BUT…I was dying to make this!! I ended up with a dry paste-like consistency, BUT, I must say, it is VERY tasty…just hard to spread. I spread it on my granola bar this morning and it was SOOOO good!! I dont have a food processor, and really thought the Vita-mix would work…oh well…still got some tasty spread, just not ooey-gooey…

175 Sarah June 11, 2015

Yummi! I just found this recipe and went straight to my kitchen ;) It’s so good. I spread it into a pitted Medjool-Date – amazing. Thanks for sharing , Angela

176 Christine September 13, 2015

New to all this. Just overhauling my diet. Love the recipe and your site. How long will this keep in the refrigerator?

177 Annette September 16, 2015

Just made the maple cinnamon almond butter and the dark chocolate almond butter. So easy and so delicious. Bringing first batch to my daughter in college. Second batch for me. Would make a great Christmas treat/gift. Thank you!

178 Sarah October 18, 2015

Angela – This maple cinnamon almond butter is out of control good! It was my first time making nut butter, and as I sit here licking the bowl i know i’ll never get store-bought again. Thank you!!

179 Annie December 20, 2015

Looks fantastic! I want to try to make this for my boyfriend’s mom as a Christmast gift. Can you use ground flax seed in place of whole?

180 Cindy April 27, 2016

Awesome recipe! How do we store it? At room temperature or refrigerate it?

181 Angela Liddon April 27, 2016

Hi Cindy, I store it in the fridge in an airtight container.

182 YVONNE LIM May 12, 2016

Thank you very much for sharing this awesome recipe, been searching for a good almond butter recipe, this look like the one.

183 Angela Liddon May 13, 2016

Hi Yvonne, I hope you like it if you give it a try!

184 Karen Brown May 18, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This is BY FAR the best nut butter I have ever made or tasted! Thank you! I don’t think you can use your vitamix to make nut butters. Not wet enough and motor will burn out! I will never complain about my very heavy Cuisanart food processor again! It did the job great for this recipe;)

185 LORI August 1, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Always looking for a bit of sweetness to add to my lunch, and this coupled with sliced apple totally did the trick. LOVE IT!

186 Angela Liddon August 2, 2016