Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond ‘Buttercream’ and Raspberry Glaze

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on March 8, 2011

IMG_2283

It’s my party and I’ll cry eat delicious cupcakes if I want to!

Ok, it’s not technically my party, but it is my girlfriend’s birthday tomorrow and we’re have a girl’s get together for lunch. I was ever so politely asked (note: begged) to bring a dessert along and I have had cupcakes on my mind ever since!

It feels like forever since I have made cupcakes (which probably means 2 weeks in my world) and I knew I had to do something to remedy this situation.

Liz loves cupcakes. I love cupcakes. Other people love cupcakes. It’s a win-win-win. Beat that Team Sheen.

Cupcakes, to me, are a triple threat. They are one of my favourite desserts to bake (easy), decorate (fun + easy), and photograph. You really can’t screw up a photograph with a cupcake in it!

It’s impossible.

On second thought…sometimes cupcake photos can turn out like poo-poo

IMG_2161

I present the ever-horrifying chocolate turd cupcake.

In all my excitement, I didn’t realize that I had piped perfectly formed turds on my beloved cupcakes until after I uploaded the photos.

It was not a proud moment.

Eric and I could not stop giggling at them. Seriously. It was bad.

Shits ‘n giggles?

IMG_2142b

Luckily, I redeemed myself with these delicious Chocolate cupcakes topped with fluffy sweet clouds of frosting and a fruity raspberry glaze. They are a fun cupcake to bring to any Spring or Summer gathering because they are just so light and fluffy with a hint of fruit on top. Gathering or not, you should make them just because you are special. That should be reason enough!

IMG_2310

I love cupcakes because the batter can be thrown together in just a few minutes. This recipe doesn’t get any easier too. It is literally- 1) Mix wet, 2) Sift in dry, 3) Mix. 4) Scoop.

IMG_2249

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

Yield: 12 cupcakes

print this recipe!

Adapted from the famous eggless chocolate cake recipe. <—awesome!!

Cupcake Ingredients:

• 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used Vanilla Almond milk)
  • 1 cup sugar (I used natural cane sugar)
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (or other oil)
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp pure almond extract (optional, but awesome)
  • 1.5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted (I used Dutch-process)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp kosher salt, to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. With an electric mixer, beat together the following ingredients in a large bowl (non-dairy milk, oil, sugar, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, almond extract). Beat on medium speed for a minute or two.

2. Now sift in the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt). Mix well, until the clumps are gone.

3. Spoon the batter into prepared cupcake pan, about two thirds full for each. Bake for about 22 minutes at 350F, or until the cupcake slowly springs back when pressed with a finger. Allow to completely cool before frosting.

4. LICK THE BOWL!

My Aunt got me hooked on this famous eggless chocolate cake recipe years and years ago! I adapted it only slightly. It always seems to turn out no matter how I make it!

IMG_2228

These cupcakes are chocolaty, fluffy, and flavourful with a hint of almond and vanilla.

IMG_2237

While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. Red heart

IMG_2260

I thought I would show you how I like to pipe my cupcakes!

My favourite decorating tip in the entire world is the very large Wilton 1A tip, as shown below. It eats small tips for breakfast. And you don’t need a coupler either!

IMG_2234

1) To use, simply insert the tip into a pastry bag. Snip off the end of the bag so the tip fits through (as shown above).

2) Now place the pastry bag into a tall glass to hold it up and fold down the sides around the glass (image left).

3) Fill the bag with frosting and carefully twist the end of the bag tightly (image right). Secure the end with a rubber band, if desired.

IMG_2236IMG_2259

Now you are ready to pipe delicious, fluffy mounds of frosting! Don’t be scared, it is easy! You can always do a couple practice trials too and don’t worry they don’t have to look perfect.

To pipe, start near the centre of the cupcake, squeezing the frosting out evenly working your way up the cupcake in circles. I like to make 3 tiers for an extravagant effect.

This is a great how-to video!

Fluffy clouds of heaven.

IMG_2269 IMG_2272

You can stop right there or you can top them with a glaze if you are feeling frisky like I was.

I saved a bit of the frosting (~1/2 cup) and I made a raspberry glaze. I mashed about 5-6 fresh raspberries with a fork and mixed it with the frosting. The raspberries release a bit of water and the frosting thins out into a lovely glaze that you can drip over the cupcakes. It added a lovely hint of raspberry to the cupcakes that paired well with the chocolate and almond flavours!

IMG_2286

Of course, I was ‘forced’ to taste-test before giving them to Liz.

I slowly unwrapped the corners of the liner, revealing a chocolaty cupcake…

IMG_2310

I slid the fork through each layer of fluffy frosting…

IMG_2313

And I devoured every last crumb!

IMG_2320

After devouring this cupcake in a blissed out trance, I deemed they were birthday quality, which is sort of a shame because I wanted to keep all of them. I am comforted knowing that tomorrow I will be able to enjoy another at lunch. ;)

Sweet Dreams.Birthday cake

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh March 8, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Oh my gosh I just died and went to heaven! Oh my lanta! :) LOOKS amazing! funny about the chocolate frosting ones. Its hard because they always turn out looking like turds haha! :)

Lisa March 8, 2011 at 11:24 pm

YUM, YUM, and YUM!!! It is 11:30 PM on a school night… I should be in bed, not drooling over your delicious cupcake pictures! The fact that I can’t go downstairs and make these ASAP is pure torture. Well I suppose I COULD but then I’d be forced to pull an all-nighter thanks to all the sugary goodness I’d consume. *deep contemplation occurring* alllllright, i’ll wait till tomorrow. Thanks for the post Angela! You’re incredible and every recipe never ceases to amaze me and never fails to make me hungry!

Gina March 8, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Hahahaha, dying at the chocolate cupcakes. I was so excited with the cupcakes that I totally didn’t see the turd part at first. At least it’s a sugar-coated turd :)
But those last ones are the most beautiful cupcakes ever!

[email protected] March 8, 2011 at 11:33 pm

omg these look to die for, I cant believe how amazing and fluffy that frosting looks.. and your photography is absolutely beautiful.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Thank you- the cupcakes did all the work! ;)

Allison @ Food For Healing March 8, 2011 at 11:33 pm

i’m more of a muffin and cookie person, but those cupcakes look scrumptious!

Hannah March 8, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Sometimes desserts that look scatalogical are better than those that don’t, because the taste is so surprisingly better than you were expecting. I bet your girlfriend will love these!

bitt of raw March 8, 2011 at 11:36 pm

So pretty! I’d even eat a turd one. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2011 at 11:50 pm

hell yea!

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen March 8, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Sweet Lord – these look incrediiiiiiiiible. and I may have laughed out loud at “piped perfectly formed turds” :)

Melissa @ Be Not Simply Good March 8, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Mmm, those look SOOO good with the berries. Very pretty, too.

Moni'sMeals March 8, 2011 at 11:39 pm

oh please please please send me one now, had such a long day!

Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc March 8, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I couldn’t help but giggle too when I saw the cupcakes with the chocolate frosting. The ones with the Almond ‘Buttercream’ frosting looks amazing though. I am always amazed by how you can make vegan treats without using egg or dairy. While I’m not vegan, I’m on a gluten-free, egg-free, dairy free diet. Your blog has taught me a lot about making desserts without using eggs or dairy:) Thanks Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2011 at 11:51 pm

That is great to hear :)

Sam January 9, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Do you think it would be good for my birthday or do you think I should do one of your other cakes? I’m really not sure…

Sam January 9, 2014 at 5:43 pm

i should make this for my birthday!!!! They look amazing!!!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher March 8, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Just as I’m craving sugahhhh!!

Sara @ Baking and Wine March 8, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Oh my Lord! Those look too good for words.

hippierunner March 8, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Everything looks amazing! YUM! The raspberry glaze is so pretty!

Kathleen March 8, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Those are some of the prettiest cupcakes I have seen in a long time. Those clouds of frosting look divine and are definitely calling my name! ;)
Have fun at your party tomorrow (I’m betting you’re going to be super popular for bringing those beauties along! :))

Mama Pea March 8, 2011 at 11:45 pm

My birthday is May 2nd. I’d even take your turds.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Fellow Taurus! We need to make a party date, me thinks :)

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey March 8, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Holy amazingness! I wish I could stuff them in my face right now. :P Another recipe I want to try is the one that Chef Chloe used to win Cupcake Wars. It must be good! http://www.chefchloe.com/blog/2-blog/17-first-vegan-to-win-on-the-food-network.html It’s super close to yours; the only difference is the amount of oil, vanilla and apple cider vinegar!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 8, 2011 at 11:45 pm

My gosh, these look so fantastic! I want to jump through my laptop and take a bite. You are a great, great friend. Liz will most certainly be happy with her gift!

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy March 8, 2011 at 11:51 pm

So pretty! These look very “valentine” appropriate.
Love the addition of the almond extract for the frosting.
I’m definitely borrowing that frosting recipe soon

Nicole @ Of Cookies and Carrots March 8, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Um, you are incredible. Those are absolutely stunning! I’m awfula t piping frosting… and while those may look vaguely turd-like they also lookd elicious, so I’d happily eat them anyways ;)

(what does that say about me? hmm…)

n

Charlie March 8, 2011 at 11:57 pm

*Drooling*
These look so good! The almond extract must give such a great taste to the cupcakes!!!

Michelle | gold-hearted girl March 8, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I want dessert, and I want THESE!

Sarah March 9, 2011 at 12:05 am

Wow! Those cupcakes are adorably perfect. I love how these look (even the turdys are purdy). My favorite, though, is step #4 of the cupcake making. That is the best.
Thanks for the recipe and the burst of giggles I just had on my couch :)

Camille March 9, 2011 at 12:06 am

These look incredible! They actually look like a dessert for Valentine’s Day :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 9, 2011 at 12:10 am

Hehehehehehehe, poop jokes :-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 9, 2011 at 12:12 am

“I believe these are the best vegan cupcakes I have made to date! “–

THAT IS HIGH PRAISE! Ok, these are on the to-make list!

The buttercream/almondmilk frosting, oh my.

The raspberry glaze!! wow!

And the fact that you said you piped perfect turds on your own cupcakes..I was eating salad when I read that and just spewed my salad b/c I started laughing so hard :)

Thank you for the beautiful recipe. And the humor :)

Katie March 9, 2011 at 12:13 am

Even if I never make these, my life is more complete for having read this post. And drooled at these photos.

I use the ziplock 1A, myself. Stilton be damned. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 8:23 am

haha that works too!!

Melanie @ Trial By Trail March 9, 2011 at 12:13 am

Wow Angela, these look AMAZING! I’m going to have to make these at some point! So pretty too.

Audrey March 9, 2011 at 12:18 am

Oh my stars, these are so PERFECT! I want one (or more, hehe!) now.

Ashley March 9, 2011 at 12:27 am

These are some of the most gorgeous cupcakes ever! I can’t believe how perfect the chocolate cupcakes look. They rose perfectly!! I’ve never had that happen with vegan cupcakes. The glaze looks shimmery…sooo pretty!!! Love the poop cakes…I’m sure they tasted delish!

DessertForTwo March 9, 2011 at 12:40 am

Oh yum! I saw your tweet about vegan cupcakes and I thought I was going to have to wait a long time to see the results! I’ve never seen vegan cupcakes rise so high! Gorgeous!

DessertForTwo March 9, 2011 at 12:40 am

Michelle March 9, 2011 at 12:41 am

Hahahahahaha, I wouldn’t have even went to poop when I saw those brown frosted cakes, but now I can’t help it.

This cake recipe is totally getting bookmarked. They look gorgeous!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 8:24 am

once you see it, you can’t stop…hehe

Stacie March 9, 2011 at 12:45 am

Wow! Awesome! Sweetness! Thanks for the frosting tips too (no pun intended…well maybe)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 9, 2011 at 1:00 am

Vegan turd-cakes. I think you’ve discovered a new niche! :)

Thank you for sharing the icing tips and video – I’m the world’s worst.

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 9, 2011 at 1:26 am

YUM i’m dying for cupcakes. i am debating whether or not it is sensible to buy a cupcake pan for just 5 months here in New Zealand….I think, yes?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 8:24 am

you could make a lot of cupcakes in 5 months… ;)

Silvia @ skinny jeans food March 9, 2011 at 8:48 am

If you buy a silicone one you can take it on all your travels ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 10:06 am

great idea!

Katheryn March 9, 2011 at 2:55 am

Holy yum! My daughter and I will definitely be making these this week. Thanks for the tutorial on how you frost them. I never thought of putting the bag in a glass. What a great idea!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA March 9, 2011 at 3:18 am

Chocolate turd cupcakes! Hahah! There has to be a good theme party those would be perfect for.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 9, 2011 at 3:20 am

You are an awesome friend! Those look so lovely!!!

Sportsgirl March 9, 2011 at 3:50 am

Looking like poo or not I would have still scoffed one!

[email protected] March 9, 2011 at 4:08 am

Omgsh omgsh!! That loooks soooooooooo good and pretttyyyy!!!! Hey, i think the poopy one looks just fine! So cute. And heck, i’d eat it too :) But they all look gorgeous. I’ve been itching to make cupcakes too lately, I haven’t baked too much and that’s a big no-no.

Angela (the diet book junkie) March 9, 2011 at 5:03 am

girl, anything with chocolate is all good. i would’ve been all over that. ;)

CathyK March 9, 2011 at 5:04 am

thank you for your photos of the cupcake turds, angela. sorry, but yes, that is exactly what they look like – and you have started my day with a hearty laugh. thanks very much!!
i just *graduated* from taking the decorating basics course thru michael’s last week, so wilton tip #s, couplers, etc are still front and centre in my mind. i agree: cupcakes are awesome to bake, ice, decorate – more fun than a cake!
have a great lunch with your friend…will the cupcakes last until dessert time?!!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 9, 2011 at 6:08 am

Even if they look like poo, your photos are still amazing! That raspberry glaze is a great idea and adds gorgeous color.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 9, 2011 at 6:25 am

SO pretty!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 9, 2011 at 7:06 am

Anything almond-flavored is my FAVORITE! I eat marzipan like it is my J-O-B. The almond-rasperry-chocolate combo cannot be beat:)

Gen March 9, 2011 at 7:15 am

Those cupcakes look amazing and I’m not even a cake lover!!!!! Can’t beat chocolate though! =D

Blog is the New Black March 9, 2011 at 7:19 am

Gorgeous photos- even the turds!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun March 9, 2011 at 7:20 am

Those are the prettiest looking turds I’ve ever seen! ;-)

Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 9, 2011 at 7:38 am

What beautiful “turds” ;) Your cupcake photos are amazing!!

jillian m. {coffee, light and sweet} March 9, 2011 at 7:39 am

oh, these cupcakes look perfect! and despite those other ones looking like turds, i’d still eat them in a heartbeat! nothing (i mean, NOTHING) can turn me off from chocolate.

xo,
a dedicated (read: obsessed) chocolate lover

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner March 9, 2011 at 7:50 am

Wow, those look incredible! The frosting does look like fluffy clouds! And with the raspberry glaze and raspberries on top…I’m definitely making these to bring somewhere so that people are impressed with me :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 9, 2011 at 7:57 am

bahahahaha the chocolate turd cupcake just made my morning! hilarious :) and i love the tip about putting the piping bag in a glass first…genius!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 9, 2011 at 7:57 am

I think you’ve outdone yourself! I can’t wait to try that almond buttercream!

vanessa March 9, 2011 at 8:02 am

BWAHAHAHA – You should send this into cakewrecks!! Please tell me you know it http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/07/who-ordered-poo-poo-platter.html

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 8:26 am

LOL I love that website!!!!!!!! I’ll try and submit them

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 8:45 am

I just submitted the pic and my caption was

‘Everyone Poops….even vegans!’

I die.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 9, 2011 at 8:08 am

These are so pretty! You even manage to make turd-like icing look cute haha! Happy Birthday to your friend – I hope you ladies have a lovely time together!

Nicole March 9, 2011 at 8:12 am

Can the cupcakes be made with out apple cider vinegar?
They look amazingly delicious!

I would have eaten the poo ones too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 8:27 am

I’m not sure as I have never made this recipe without it before. I think it is supposed to be the egg replacer (when it interacts with baking soda?)

Silvia @ skinny jeans food March 9, 2011 at 8:46 am

I think it is necessary as a rising agent. But you won’t taste it.

Chicago Sherry March 9, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Regular vinegar should work is you do not have apple cider vinegar. There is a King Arthur chocolate cake/cupcake recipe that is vegan which uses regular vinegar.

Faith @ lovelyascharged March 9, 2011 at 8:12 am

Cupcakes are my go-to vegan recipe, and I bet the raspberries would make an incredible touch! Fruit and chocolate is about as good as it gets!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) March 9, 2011 at 8:13 am

AHAHAAHH if thats poo poo then poo poo sure looks tasty! i am A SUCKER for frosting- anything creamy and sweet- hand it over!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) March 9, 2011 at 8:17 am

These look incredible! So beautiful. I’d love to get these for my birthday :D

xo

Laura March 9, 2011 at 8:34 am

It is almost shameful how much am I laughing at the turd cupcake snafu. I’m such an 11 year old sometimes.
Anyway, these cupcakes are goregous! They look delicious!

Laura @ Starting Out Fit March 9, 2011 at 8:36 am

Oh my… those look like heaven!!

Light Delight with TouTou March 9, 2011 at 8:43 am

This is soooo pretty! I love it!

Amyella March 9, 2011 at 8:45 am

These look soooo good!! Can’t wait to try them!

Being Italian I do have to point out one thing: extra virgin olive oil is the least light tasting oil (it has the deepest olive, fruity flavor). Extra LIGHT olive oil is the lightest tasting :)

Either way, delicious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 10:07 am

interesting!
The EVOO I have is called ‘delicate’ would that be the same thing as extra light?

Silvia @ skinny jeans food March 9, 2011 at 8:45 am

Another photographic masterpiece, where I just want to bite into my computer screen! Must make these! Do you think the oil can be replaced with apple sauce?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 10:07 am

Ive tried cupcakes with no oil and only applesauce…I found they were always ‘spongy’ in texture. I prefer oil, but you can do whatever you please!

Jenny March 9, 2011 at 8:52 am

These look yummy! I love the idea of the rasberry glaze…too simple to pass up!:)

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 9, 2011 at 8:53 am

These look delicious Angela! And I laughed at the chocolate frosting — some people can make that look good, but I sure can’t!

Kath March 9, 2011 at 8:53 am

This may be my favorite post of yours EVER!!!!!!!! Gorgeous photography and gorgeous ‘cakes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 10:05 am

WOW! Thanks :) heh

brandi March 9, 2011 at 8:57 am

that’s too funny :) I’d still eat the chocolate ones!!

But I do love raspberry + chocolate together.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 9, 2011 at 9:03 am

I think even the turd cupcakes are pretty. Your friend is one lucky girl!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life March 9, 2011 at 9:19 am

I wish I had a friend like you! My birthday is on Thursday and no one would bake me vegan cupcakes… Maybe I should make some for myself. Those look DELICIOUS!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 10:05 am

Yes you should! Happy Birthday :)

jenna March 9, 2011 at 9:30 am

oh my gosh……………these looks stunning!!!! I’m dying for a cupcake now!!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious March 9, 2011 at 9:33 am

Wow Angela – those look beautiful!! I love that they are so easy—I have all the ingredients in my pantry. Thanks for the early morning giggle (re: turd comments) – they didn’t look gorgeous but I’m sure they tasted awesome. The frosting looks amazing too – I think I’m going to have to put some icing tools on my “to buy” list.

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo March 9, 2011 at 9:35 am

Beautiful! Thank you for the chocolate cake recipe; I was looking for a reliable vegan cake recipe and this fits the bill! Will it work with regular cocoa too?

Becca March 9, 2011 at 9:39 am

I’m definitely going to try making these! Do you think these would still come out okay with a gluten-free all-purpose flour?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 10:04 am

I’m not sure…vegan cupcake recipes can be a bit finicky!

Red Deception March 9, 2011 at 9:42 am

YUM! I have been looking for an alternative to a traditional cake recipe for my birthday. Thanks!

Do you think it is possible to use oat flour instead of regular flour? It’s been effective in making fluffy muffins, but I am not sure about cupcakes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 10:05 am

I find that vegan cupcakes can produce very mixed results when subbing different flours..I really don’t know if it would work!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 9, 2011 at 9:43 am

YUM!! I want to eat one of those cupcakes right now!!!! Definitely adding this to my list of “things to bake”. Thanks for sharing!!

Nikki T March 9, 2011 at 9:50 am

Your cupcakes and photography are absolutely amazing!

Jane March 9, 2011 at 10:05 am

Wow, those are pretty! To be honest, the chocolate frosting didn’t strike me as turds until you pointed it out.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 9, 2011 at 10:06 am

Those cupcakes look awesome!! The chocolate turd ones are just hilarious!! :)

staceyhealthylife March 9, 2011 at 10:13 am

Those look pretty and delicious. Even the chocolate one’s. LOL

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness of Life March 9, 2011 at 10:22 am

Haha! Chocolate Turd Cupcakes. Awesome. That is too funny! But this is kind of torturous because I have decided to do a little cleanse and cut sugar out of my diet. But all I want to do is make those cupcakes and eat lots of them!

my little celebration March 9, 2011 at 10:24 am

YUM! Those look fantastic!!!

rachel March 9, 2011 at 10:27 am

these look gorgeous. you are seriously a master in the kitchen!

Shanna March 9, 2011 at 10:31 am

These are gorgeous, like something you’d see in a magazine! Well except the turd ones…thanks for the AM laugh!

Stefanie March 9, 2011 at 10:33 am

They almost look to pretty to eat but I will get over that. :)

starla garcia March 9, 2011 at 10:36 am

yaay another sweet recipe! they look heavenly
i really want to make them, but i dont have apple cide vinger…do u think apple juice would work?

starla garcia March 9, 2011 at 10:36 am

yaay another sweet recipe! they look heavenly

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 10:47 am

The original recipe that my aunt uses can be successfully used with distilled white vinegar. :)

Sarah March 9, 2011 at 10:40 am

I am hijacking this comment page as I could not find another way to send you a genral question about another recipe. I am going to make the Portabella Mushroom Pizzas for a friend as a meal that she can later heat up for herself. So I will be making in advance and refrigerating it for several hours. What would be your recommendation for heating it from that cold state? Thanks so much. I love, love your blog. The cupcakes will be the next treat I try out on my husband :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 10:46 am

I would reheat them in the oven. Maybe placed on a baking sheet and reheated at 325-350, watching closely (the tops can burn easily). Goodluck!

Angelique March 9, 2011 at 10:44 am

I need to make a dessert today for a school fundraiser, and had no clue what to make and ta-da! your blog post appeared! These look perfect! Every little girl is going to want to buy one of these princessey cupcakes — the glaze looks awesome. Thanks for rescuing me!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 9, 2011 at 10:49 am

Holy cupcake these look so good! First the chocolate cake, then the fluffy clouds and even some sweet raspberries?! Girl you out did yourself. Please never stop doing that :)

[email protected] March 9, 2011 at 10:54 am

amazing. THese look so great!

Blythe Doole March 9, 2011 at 11:06 am

Amazing post….the poop cakes are hilarious!!!! It was my birthday yesterday so I think I’ll be baking up some of these tonight as a little birthday present for myself!! The photos are absolutely STUNNING!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 11:55 am

happy bday!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food March 9, 2011 at 11:08 am

All I can say about these is…YUM!!!! :-)

Alex @ Healing Beauty March 9, 2011 at 11:22 am

WOW. That’s all I can say. These look amazing and the photography is beautiful!

Aly March 9, 2011 at 11:28 am

I absolutely LOVE cupcake photos. I don’t have a blog, but I take pictures of everything I bake. Tons of cupcake pictures! I just think they’re beautiful. I’ve been debating uploading an album onto facebook just to share them with the world, but I’m pretty sure my friends will think I’m crazy! Anyway, I completely agree, and these cupcakes look delicious.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 11:55 am

you should…I LOVE looking at pics of cupcakes!

laura March 9, 2011 at 11:31 am

These cupcakes look so pretty! They could be found in a specialty bakeshop :)

Lauren March 9, 2011 at 11:35 am

Wow, these cupcakes look good. At home I usually watch Cupcakes Wars on the Food Network and I love it when vegan cupcakes win! Right now I am studying in Spain and while the pastries are good, I could definitely use one of these cupcakes! Since I am deprived of the Food Network for a couple of months, I have become an avid food blog follower. I love your food and I can’t wait until I cook some of your recipes at home in a few months!

Amy March 9, 2011 at 11:39 am

Wow, those are totally – winning!

sarah March 9, 2011 at 11:50 am

My 6 year old just saw me looking at this post and declared we must make them this second! I decided to use a new flower shaped muffin pan I just got at Zehrs–bad idea :(. The cupcakes are divine, except for the fact that they are cupcake top cakes–the tops all flipped off when I tried to flip them onto my cooling rack. I blame the pan!!! Anyways, we can give your turd cupcakes good competition–ours turned out to be vanilla turd cupcake tops with tons of sprinkles, I should send you a pic, you would feel better…
The recipe is fab though and my daughter loves the icing, so thank you for some laughs and a good mom/daughter day in the kitchen! We giggled lots…

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I too have tried one of those oddly shaped cupcake tins before and mine never turned out properly either…I’m not sure what the secret is to them! Glad to hear they were enjoyed regardless though, that is what matters!

Sam (the neurotic yogini) March 9, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Those cupcakes are just WAY too pretty!! Pink and white go so well together, don’t you think? :)

And it ‘s funny you said that about the poop cupcakes.. I saw the pic and thought to myself “Does she know these look like sh…” and then I read on ;) HILARIOUS!

Shits n giggles. Lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 12:51 pm

haha!

Lisa March 9, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I would scarf down those chocolate cupcakes in a second!!

Alaina March 9, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Haha, you are too funny. :-) And those cupcakes look delicious!

Amber K March 9, 2011 at 12:31 pm

They look totally delicious! The turd cupcakes remind me of the many CakeWrecks.com blogs about turd frosting. LOL I don’t like chocolate frosting, so that already doesn’t help with the idea of eating what looks like pooed-on cupcakes. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I submitted it to cakewrecks this AM, as suggested by a reader above! haha

Amber K March 9, 2011 at 1:04 pm

lol!! Perfect

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm

those. look. awesome.

AND I’m pretty sure, although it does look like poopies, I’d still rabidly consume that chocolate cuppycake. ;) Y-U-M.

LauraJayne March 9, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Right or wrong, I still think those “turd” cupcakes look delicious! It woudn’t even have occurred to me if you hadn’t pointed it out!

Amanda (Sweet and Savory Vegan) March 9, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I love the combination of chocolate, almond, and raspberry. Delicious.

Sarah @ veggie-kids.blogspot.com/ March 9, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Great-now I have a serious craving for something sweet!! Wow-those look amazing. I recently made a vegan chocolate birthday cake for my son with vegan buttercream frosting and it turned out so yummy. But I love the almond extract you added for more flavor. I’ll try that next time! Now, I’m off to find something to satisfy this craving…

Sarah

barefoot and frolicking March 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm

oh my GORGEOUS! Such lovely, beautiful cupcakes. Love the colors :)

Roz March 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm

OK…color me childish, but even before I started reading and saw the photo of the chocolate, I snickered to myself because they looked like poop. And now I’m going to zip over to cake wrecks and check them out too. Poopy ones and REAL ones, they all look delicous.

Jared March 9, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Gorgeous looking! I recently made cupcakes and understand it is immense work, but the reward is worth it.

sharalei March 9, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I am sitting in finance class, drooling on my desk. Thanks Angela!

Clare @ Fitting It All In March 9, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Ahh torture since I just gave up chocolate for lent. Those are the BEST birthday gift a girl could hope for!

katie March 9, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Wow! These look amazing! I have to say the turd ones I bet were tasty too! lol! I KNOW your girlfriend was the luckiest birthday girl EVER to get these cupcakes! U are a great friend!!! U are a excellent baker! U really need a cookbook ! I cant believe you dont have one yet! I love yours and Mama Peas amazing recipes!!!!!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 5:25 pm

haha yes the turds were tasty! Not as good as the chocolate ones though! Thanks for your kind words.

Katey @ Bonne Santé March 9, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I would have eaten the dog-poo ones! Just sayin’… :D

Tammy Root March 9, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Hi Ange,
Your post looks so amazing I just had to make those cupcakes. YUMMY!!!!!! I did not put frosting on (didn’t have all the ingredients). But, I was wondering if you have the nutritional information for just the cupcake. I am keeping a food log to monitor nutrient intake and would like to add the information. I understand if you are way too busy though. You have a lot of comments and can’t possibly get to them all. Thanks so much,
Tammy

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Hey Tammy! I have not calculated the nutritional info for the cupcakes, but I use this program called Nutrition Data: http://nutritiondata.self.com/ It is decent and works well, but they dont always have all the ingredients.

Ali March 9, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Hi Angela,

How do you store your cupcakes? I am vegan and have decided to make my own wedding cupcakes (luckily it is a smaller wedding!) and I’m planning to use one of your fabulous recipes. I have to make them a day or two ahead of time (I’ll frost them the day of) but I was wondering if you usually freeze them or just store them on the counter for a few days.

Thanks! I love your blog, by the way!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Hey Ali!

I put these cupcakes in the fridge (in a container)…generally cupcakes don’t last longer than 1-2 days, and then they dry out quite a bit. I have not tried freezing them before though, but maybe there is some info online from others who have baked a bunch for a wedding! Goodluck :)

kaila @ healthy helper! March 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm

these are the prettiest cupcakes ever! not turd like in the slightest! nothing chocolate could ever be likened to pooo!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite March 9, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Ooooh my goodness.I’m not vegan, but I’d devour these any day!! I also did that with chocolate icing once. My husband made me fix them a bit before he’d let me bring them anywhere :)

Annette @ EnjoyYOURHealthyLife March 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Holy yum!! I love this post :)

(what runs) Lori March 9, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I’m not even sure this much food porn should be legal. OMG. Wow. I LOVE your piping!! I must learn. I have definitely tried and definitely failed in the past. lol
These look so amazingly delicious!

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) March 9, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Yum Yum and Yummy! I did have to chuckle though at the Poo remark….I am a cupcake decorator and YES chocolate frosting decorated with a round tip just looks like Poo :) LOL

Paige @Running Around Normal March 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm

LOL dying at the “turd cupcakes” but they sure do sound delicious!!

AM March 9, 2011 at 7:58 pm

This is the weirdest coincidence EVER! i’m throwing my sister in law a baby shower this thursday and planned on making chocolate cupcakes with buttercream (except mixing a little bit of rasperry puree into to buttercream and with a rapberry jam filling) with the same piping design! I’m so sick of seeing the 1M tip being used everywhere. AND GET THIS – i even bought the same cupcake tins… crazy i tell you.

sterlingstyle March 9, 2011 at 8:04 pm

These look amazing! I love that they are vegan!

Tracy @ Commit To Fit March 9, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Heaven. That is all I can say. And I need to make some cupcakes really soon :()

Diana @ frontyardfoodie March 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I’ll eat your vegan poop cupcakes any day! They look amazing. I didn’t think poop until you said it. And I still wanted to eat them which means they must be exceptional. haha

Jennifer March 9, 2011 at 9:31 pm

OMG, if those cupcakes taste even half as good as they are beautiful, well, you’ve got the perfect cupcake! Your friend is one lucky girl. :)

Oh and I literally LOL’d at your Sheen comment. HA!

amber March 9, 2011 at 10:26 pm

oh i cannot wait to try these

Dorota March 9, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Angela, your chocolate cupcakes are *the shit* lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011 at 9:20 am

That is the best compliment a gal could ask for…hah

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) March 10, 2011 at 6:29 am

Angela, I swear your photography is getting better and better with every post! I stared at the first picture for a few minutes lol.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011 at 9:20 am

thank you!

Beach Bum Beauty March 10, 2011 at 7:38 am

The turd cupcakes gave the belly aching giggles!! The other recipes look gorgeous, an exciting to try the eggless recipes x

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 10, 2011 at 7:44 am

Okay, I’m not the only one who saw those and though ‘dog turd topping’ but I’m sure they tasted far from it! ;-)

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad March 10, 2011 at 7:54 am

What does it say about me that I’d eat that chocolate turd cupcake in a heartbeat??

Zestful Lou March 10, 2011 at 9:06 am

This is PERFECT! I went vegan for lent and my birthday is this Saturday! Eeek! That means that I need a recipe good enough to please all my family and friends while still being vegan. Angela to the rescue! Thank you!

Lindsay March 10, 2011 at 10:03 am

I just caught myself about to lick the screen. I’m making these this weekend (and you can’t stop me), but I’ll have to substitute for the almond extract because I might die if I eat it. No, really, that’s what happens when you’re allergic to nuts. :-)

I wonder how orange extract would be…orange and chocolate…*eyes glaze over*

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 11, 2011 at 12:52 am

Your cupcakes are the cutest things ever! :D

xoxo
Kathleen

Jill @ Vegan in the Kitchen March 11, 2011 at 1:48 am

These cupcakes look both adorable and sinful at the same time! I love how you got all “romance novel steamy” at the end describing cutting into the cake. LOL!

Danielle March 11, 2011 at 8:59 pm

These look amazing.. you’re just amazing at putting these recipes together!! Thank you for helping all of us eat healthier! You’re changing the world one day at a time! :) Would I be able to whole wheat pastry flour? White doesn’t agree with me :( THANK YOU!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 11, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Thanks! I’m not sure how a different flour would turn out…my guess would be that they wouldnt rise quite as much. Goodluck!

Zestful Lou March 13, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I just made these for my 24th birthday! I made a couple adjustments, but they turned out great! I will be posting some pics soon! Thanks Angela!

Jess March 14, 2011 at 5:59 am

Oh my gosh, nummmy!! These look delicious, and so pretty, too!

Audrey March 15, 2011 at 1:21 am

I’m thinking about adapting this into a layer cake for my brother’s birthday. I noticed the original recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of vinegar and yours calls for 1 Tablespoon. Was this a typo or did you find that it worked better with more vinegar?

Thanks! This is an incredible post, by the way! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2011 at 10:38 am

nope that is not a typo :) enjoy!

jackie March 17, 2011 at 10:24 am

This is my new favorite website!! I thought baking would be in the past trying to go vegan, boy was I wrong! I spend hours a day on your website (not kidding) I made these last week for my dad’s birthday and everyone love them. I didn’t tell them they were vegan until after because everyone gets weirded out and won’t try things if they know it’s vegan. My dad ate 2!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 17, 2011 at 10:35 am

that’s great!

Audrey March 18, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I made the original recipe for my brother’s birthday as planned, just doubling it for 2 layers, filling with raspberry preserves and topping with chocolate ganache–all vegan. My omni family loved it and it was so pretty! Thank you for the recipe inspiration. I’ve never made a vegan cake that turned out so well! :)

Kendel @ Eating Abroad March 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I made the chocolate cupcakes for my friend’s birthday yesterday along with another vegan vanilla cake. The chocolate was certainly the better of the two. How do you feel about creating a vanilla version of the chocolate cake? If anyone can do it, I know you can!

nadine May 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm

wow, they look so delicious! and the icing… can you send me one? thanks.

Carly May 27, 2012 at 10:21 am

I am so excited to try this recipe! My son is egg-free, dairy-free, and has a texture aversion to bread like consistencies. The texture aversion is due to the fact that most bread like things have dairy and/or eggs so he doesn’t eat them very often. I am so excited to have found your blog (through a post on pinterest) and start trying your recipes! For the record, my son (who is 4 years old and tries to fit the word poop into every conversation because he knows it annoys me) saw the chocolate cupcakes, and when I asked him he said the frosting looked like ice cream! I told him you thought it looked like poop, and he laughed and said you were funny. I agree.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm

haha too funny! I hope you both enjoy the cupcakes!

Carly May 29, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I made these as mini cupcakes today, and my son stole 3 off the cooling rack before they were even frosted!!!!! Thank you so much for a great recipe, they were delicious! Now I’m off to find a vanilla cupcake…

Nichole July 16, 2012 at 12:24 pm

My son has an egg and dairy allergy, and he loves chocolate, so these look nearly perfect! I’m thinking of making these for his second birthday party. Of course, I still have to contend with my husband’s gluten issues…do you think this would turn out alright with gluten free all purpose flour?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Hey Nichole, That is a great question and I’m afraid I don’t know the answer! I will have to try it someday. My only suggestion is to scan through the comments and see if anyone mentioned making them GF. I hope it works out for you!!

Liz July 18, 2012 at 11:20 am

Mixing with one hand and typing with the other. just dipped my finger in the icing and it is delicious! thank you sooomuch for the recipe! I used coconut oil instead of the buttery sticks and still amazing!!

Ingie August 17, 2012 at 12:35 am

Hi there, I just want to say how lovely this recipe is! It’s one of the easiest, tastiest recipes for cupcakes I’ve tried. I made chocolate frosting instead of almond, and it was spectacular.

Emelyn August 17, 2012 at 2:03 am

Wow. These cupcakes are certainly the business. I realized that I actually knew how to make the batter from my childhood. We called it ‘Wacky Cake’ because it used vinegar. But I am SO GLAD I found it again! I’m always trying to entice people with yummy vegan treats, but no one ever believes how delicious they can be! Even my carnivorous brothers are begging me to makes these again. They were gone with 24 hours! My mother hates raspberries with chocolate, so I did 6 with the raspberry glaze, and then 6 with just dusted cocoa powder on top. She loved them! She even ate a raspberry one ;) Seriously, thank you so so much for sharing this amazing recipe!

Anna August 31, 2012 at 6:03 pm

The best Vegan Chocolate cupcakes I have EVER tried. I’m a professional pastry chef and this recipe is in close competition with my favorite non-vegan chocolate cake recipe! Sooo delicious!

Emily September 18, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I love these cupcakes! They are by far my favorite vegan cupcake recipe. However, I am wondering if I can somehow adapt this recipe to make red velvet vegan cupcakes? Would I just use the same ingredients for everything but add red food coloring?

Thanks for the help!!

rachel October 2, 2012 at 3:48 pm

These look awesome! I was wondering how they compare to the chocolate cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (if you’ve made those)? The ingredients are just slightly different, but these look like they rise better.

LynnS December 2, 2012 at 6:54 pm

lol! i discovered the truth about the chocolate frosting and that tip too! fortunately it was a trial run. the neighbor kids, my taste testers, had some wonderful giggles over it. :)

Lumy December 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Angela, excuse me but…what is that Earth Balance that you used? Is it like the butter but vegan? I am from Romania, and you can’t find that here, so I need to know what I could replace that with. Thanks a lot! :D They look impossibly amazing! :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 10, 2012 at 10:04 am

Hey Lumy, Any dairy-free butter replacer should work!

Nicole January 16, 2013 at 11:11 am

Deliciously moist cupcakes! I made a few changes ( being in Costa Rica I don’t always have the same ingredient options) I used Yuca flour. I also used a surprise cupcake pan which has a metal pin in the center of each cupcake tray to place a small chocolate bar or strawberry. Superb!! Thank you for all your amazing recipes that I am enjoying sharing with all my friends and family!

Missy Spark January 16, 2013 at 11:52 am

These look loveely.. Im gonna try this recipe for my eggless cake eating friends! :)
Thanks for sharing! I came across this recipe on BABBLE

Missy Spark,
THE GOOD REVIEW

Michelle January 26, 2013 at 9:26 am

Made these cupcakes several times now and I get RAVE reviews when I do! The chocolate is a look delicious and by far the best cupcake I have ever had. Everyone who takes a bite tries to figure out the secret to the frosting (almond extract). They know there is a little something making it special, but they are not sure what it is. Overall an outstanding recipe!! Thank you for another great one.

Suniti January 31, 2013 at 10:29 am

Hi Angela! I made these cupcakes last year for my daughter’s birthday, and will be making them again. They were a huge hit! This time, I’d like to make half chocolate and half vanilla. Have you tried a vanilla version of this recipe? How would the recipe change? Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Hey there, Yes I did try a vanilla batch and it turned out quite gummy. To be honest, I havent had any luck yet with a vegan vanilla cupcake recipe! So far they haven’t met my standards…

Christina February 2, 2013 at 4:44 pm

This is my go-to recipe for chocolate cupcakes! I’ve made two batches and they’re so quick and easy to make, and super delicious! Thank you :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Glad to hear that Christina!

Aneliese February 23, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Angela, these look incredible, and I have all the ingredients in the cupboard! One question, though: why is there so much sugar? 6 cups for the frosting, that’s two whole bags of sugar! I had to resort to the non doubled three. Is there any way I could cut down on sugar, and replace it with agave or something? Also, 1 tablespoon of vanilla is also a lot for a cupcake, can I cut that down?
Sincerely,
Your concerned but drooling fan, Aneliese

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 25, 2013 at 10:08 am

Hi there, You could definitely get away with cutting down the sugar – probably in half for the cupcakes (1/2 cup instead of 1 cup would be the lowest I’d go). I haven’t tried a liquid sweetener yet, but if you do please let me know how it goes!

Kristen February 27, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I just made these cupcakes, and all I have to say is YUM. So good! I used soy-free Earth Balance for the frosting, but it seems to be very “melty”. Oh well, that just means I had to refrigerate it before eating it with a sp…I mean, before frosting the cupcakes! (Mine don’t look nearly as pretty as yours, but they taste awesome!)

Karyn May 19, 2013 at 8:20 am

We just finished eating these- without icing they just might be the best chocolate cupcakes I’ve ever tasted!! Vegan or not!!! Next time I’ll try icing them, but they don’t need it. Thank you for the amazing recipe!!!

Mandy D May 20, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Hey Angela!
These cupcakes look amazing! I’m so happy I found them for my sons bday party next week. I was wondering if you have made them without sugar? Or would i be able to substitute in maple syrup or honey (the two sweeteners I use)? Thanks Angela! Love your website.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Hi Mandy, I haven’t tried it yet, but someone in the comments might have? I would give them a look through. Please let me know how it turns out if you do try it. I’ll have to attempt it when my cookbook testing is done. All my best!

Spring May 22, 2013 at 10:46 am

I made these with Trader Joes gluten and wheat free flour mix and made icing with powdered sugar,cocoa and almond milk. Out of this world!

ashley May 27, 2013 at 5:44 pm

hi! thank you so much for this recipe! every year for my boyfriend’s birthday i make him his favorite–chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. he’s a classic kind of guy :) i have been trying to find a healthier-but-still-yummy chocolate cake recipe, and this one looks very promising! i am about to embark on making it with the two-ingredient chocolate frosting you posted a few of days ago. one question, would this batter recipe work for a two-tier 9″ cake? thank you!

Valencia June 27, 2013 at 12:26 pm

So, I have a co-worker who is vegan and pregnant. Since I am an intern and leaving, a few of us decided to throw her a baby shower on our last day. I am known for my chocolate chip cookies and other baked goods, but they are not vegan nor am I. I went in search of a recipe that wouldn’t be too difficult and purchased the ingredients to make these cupcakes. THEY were a hit! Not only with her but the non vegan / vegetarian folks as well! I have promised to make these over and over and not tell anyone they are vegan until AFTER they have eaten them…people just seem suspicious when you say you made something without the animal products. Thank you for posting this recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 1, 2013 at 7:46 am

I’m so happy to hear they were a hit! Thanks for letting me know :)

Catherine O'Keeffe July 7, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Holy cow! These are deeelicious! Maybe the best chocolate cupcake I’ve ever eaten. My four year old and I just made these. We didn’t have everything for the almond butter cream, so we improvised with the fudge frosting made with dark choc. chunks and coconut milk. Woo hoo! Thank you for sharing!

Lily July 13, 2013 at 10:33 pm

is there a recipe for the chocolate frosting? looks delicious!

Rachael June 2, 2017 at 8:31 am

I just added sifted cocoa powder to the frosting recipe. It turned out great!

Victoria T. July 16, 2013 at 10:39 am

Making these right now! Some are kinda small. My daughter couldn’t wait. She loves the batter so much!! They already smell so good! Can’t wait!!

Isha B. August 15, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Hi Angela! I’m having a bake sale soon to raise money and I’m going all out vegan this year! I’m in love with these cupcakes already! I was just wondering, what would happen if I replaced almond milk with coconut milk? I had some on my hands that I want to get rid of. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Im sure that would work just fine!

Anne Ellyse September 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Trying these out this weekend- but, would they turn out okay if I made them gluten free with oat flour? I’m trusting your expert opinion!

Ps. You have a wonderful site! I just stumbled upon it a few weeks ago, and I’ve made (and enjoyed!) several of your recipes. Thank you for sharing :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Hey Anne, In my experience, oat flour needs a binder – since it doesn’t have gluten I don’t think it would work alone in these cupcakes. Unfortunately I haven’t played around with a GF recipe yet. If you try anything let me know how it goes!

Judi October 31, 2014 at 4:17 pm

did you ever try this with the gluten free flour?

Isha September 6, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Hi again! I just prepared some cupcakes and made the frosting. It’s the night before the bake sale and there’s one huge problem. The cupcakes are a little bland and the frosting is REALLY REALLY REALLY sweet! I doubled the frosting recipe and added 5 cups of powdered sugar before I taste tested it and the frosting was WAY too sweet. I added some salt to help cut the sweetness and now it’s too sweet and a little salty…..Help please?

Alison R September 15, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe :) I made these this past weekend for my daughter’s 5th birthday party, and they were a hit! Both parents and kids loved ’em!

Living in Austin, Tx, I can assure you that the buttercream icing will stand true even in 95 degree heat with absolutely no melting. (Seriously, what icing does that?!) It’s a recipe I am going to keep on hand for sure!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 16, 2013 at 7:33 am

Hey Alison, I’m so happy you all enjoyed the cupcakes! Thanks for your feedback :)

Kim Roman September 26, 2013 at 11:17 am

I made these this morning! YUMMY! I used a mini muffin pan so the recipe made 36 little cupcakes (only 49 calories each) – bake for about 11-12 minutes. The almond frosting didn’t come out so well because I made the icing sugar (regular organic cane sugar run through my Vitamix), but it still tasted good.

I’m new to the plant-based lifestyle so this was a real treat! Thanks!

Miss Dee October 23, 2013 at 9:27 am

Is unbleached all-purpose flour really healthy for vegans? I’m new to the vegan world so I need all the food recipes I can get. Right now I’m doing a reboot by juice fasting; an idea I got from watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead by Joe Cross on Netflix. So far, I’m in day four. Anyhoo, please let me know so that, once I’m done with the fast and start my vegan lifestyle, I won’t get bored in the dessert department.

Thanks!

Alana October 31, 2013 at 5:40 pm

THIS IS AMAZING. the frosting is better than any non-vegan frosting ive ever had, too.

Maggie November 14, 2013 at 2:26 am

So awesome I found you! Well…I didn’t FIND you persay, but I recently developed an allergy to dairy AND soy. This recipe is awesome and looks up my alley. Will have to try! =)

Susan November 22, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I just made these for a “vegan cook-off” event at my office – I used a different frosting recipe, but the cupcakes themselves are AMAZING. So yummy and moist. I must admit though, I couldn’t stomach licking the bowl. It just tasted like chocolate olive oil, but the finished product was/is delightful! Thank you for sharing!

Susan December 2, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Do you store in the fridge or on the counter? With frosting and glaze?

Also, would you substitute anything in for the almond extract if making for someone with nut allergies?

Stacie December 10, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I made the cupcakes and frosting for my daughter to take to school for her birthday and they were a big hit with the kids. I then made a double batch of batter and made into a layer cake for my daughters birthday. Everything turned out wonderful. Thanks for the recipe!!

anita c December 21, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Hi there! How long and at what temp did you bake layer cake? Thanks gor any tips!!

Laurel December 20, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Tips on how to alter this to make a cake-cake, instead of cupcakes? I want to not burn it or otherwise mess it up for my birthday this weekend!

Sina December 29, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Can these be made gluten free? They look amazing! Great job!

Vicky January 5, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Delicious but mine stuck to the paper liners… Do you know what may have happened?

tina January 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I love baking cupcakes. My friends and family are probably sick of them. Some people have been trying to get me to bake vegan versions. Oh hell no I said! Dessert is meant to be sinful not healthy. Besides theyll be disgusting. WELL. Boy was I wrong. Just made these today because its 10 below zero outside And a perfect day to bake cupcakes. SO IMPRESSEDwith how good these turned out!

tina January 7, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Btw I used Organic Valley chocolate soy milk, And coconut oil instead of olive oil. Melted first of course before I added to the batter. Also used brewed espresso instead of almond extract

Krystyna January 15, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Hello! Could we substitute the buttery stick with coconut oil? I think it would add an AMAZEBALLS flavor, and is a type of substitute? Could it work? Lovely post many thanks!!

Art4Impact January 28, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Angela – I have made these cupcakes of yours several times and they are moist and delish! Do I have to have Earth balance Sticks though – or what happens if I use EB out of the tub? We don’t have a store in town that carries EB besides in the tubs.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2014 at 7:58 am

I think it should still work ok! Let me know if you try it out.

Jamie February 4, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Hey Angela!

I can’t wait to make these for my sister’s baby shower this weekend! My only hurdle is that she isn’t a huge fan of chocolate. I was thinking of trying half a batch of vanilla for her. Could I leave out the cocoa and maybe up the vanilla extract to accomplish this?

Thanks so much! Can’t wait for the cookbook!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 5, 2014 at 9:00 am

Hi Jamie, I’ve tried doing the same thing – leaving out the cocoa but it was a big flop! The cocoa powder is needed in this recipe because it reacts with the vinegar and baking soda to create a fluffy cupcake.

Meagan February 12, 2014 at 5:30 am

I was hoping to make these for Valentine’s Day. I live in Denmark,where we don’t have anything like Earth Balance,nor do we have vegan “butter” sticks. We have a type of margarine that comes in a tub,would that work for the buttercream? Or should I use coconut oil? Thanks!

Shay September 22, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I may have missed it, but is there nutritional facts to this vegan chocolate cupcakes + chocolate icing recipe?

Judi October 31, 2014 at 4:15 pm

The ‘Buttercreme’ is what got my attention, however, I need not only vegan, but gluten free. Do you think this recipe will work if I substitute gluten free flour for the all-purpose flour? Help,

Lori November 2, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I made these for my Halloween party this year and they are AMAZING! Great color, texture, and taste! Topped them with peanut butter icing, yum! Thank you for such a wonderful recipe!

Kaz November 17, 2014 at 2:04 am

Hi
I’m just wondering if cashew cream would work instead of the buttercream frosting?

Tatiana November 27, 2014 at 11:17 am

I just made these for Thanksgiving today because my daughter is allergic to eggs. AMAZING!!!! Thank you so much for posting this!!! I made a batch last night and a batch this morning in case last night’s dried out but oh my goodness, I could’ve made them all last night…you can’t tell the difference between the two batches!! Sooo moist!!

I’m so incredibly thankful for this recipe today because usually my daughter (who is only 2) sees all the goodies with frosting and has to settle for a piece of pie or a bowl of ice cream. And now today she gets to have cake with frosting!! Thank you :)

Stevie November 29, 2014 at 2:04 pm

They certainly were yummy, however your icing recipe doesn’t make fluffily icing like you’ve pictured. I am generally pretty good at baking and tried three times to make icing. I don’t understand how that recipe yields icing of that texture. Is that the recipe you used for your photo?

Lisa January 3, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Does the apple cider vinegar in this affect the taste or general formation of the cupcakes? I have a friend who is allergic to fruit and I am unsure if she can have apple cider vinegar. I would like to make the recipe and just leave it out.

Mrinalini January 19, 2015 at 8:34 am

Really delicious and easy to make! i couldnt find almond extract, but subbed in a bit of amaretto liqueur instead, and it came out great. Also made mini cupcakes (to go in graham cracker “ovens”) so brought cook time down to 15 min. Graham cracker oven here: http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1051819/kitchen-themed-cookies-recipe

Julie February 8, 2015 at 2:07 am

Who knew something healthy could look this delicious? I can’t wait to try this recipe and use a dollop of yogurt on top rather than frosting.

Tori February 12, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Wanted to let you know I used your almond ‘buttercream’ recipe making a cake for a friend who is dairy free, and it turned out wonderfully. Made it “cookies & cream” frosting by mashing up five oreos, then mixing it in once the frosting had set up a bit. I’m using it to ice a chocolate mayonnaise cake tomorrow, can’t wait to try it all together!

Receitas de Cupcakes March 4, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Kristen March 24, 2015 at 3:58 pm

These are by far the most delicious cupcakes I’ve ever made (vegan or otherwise) and possibly the most delicious cupcakes I’ve ever eaten. However, I didn’t care for the salt in the frosting. I re-made the frosting a second time without the salt and it was OMG bliss.

Laura March 25, 2015 at 2:28 am

I’m not the best of cooks but my fam said these taste like proper cafe quality goodies! This recipe is seriously better than the cupcake recipes I used to use when I wasn’t vegan! Thanks so much!

Samantha April 15, 2015 at 9:38 pm

These are amazing! Yum yum! As I was making these cupcakes, I desperately wished I had some berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, anyberries!) around to put on top just like your beauties above. Alas, nothing. Instead, I used some crumbled up Oreos (do anybody else’s kids smash the Oreos in the box?) and beat them into the frosting. I also put a chunk of Oreo on top after the cupcakes were frosted. Voila! Deeeeeelicious! Thank you for your inspiration!

Niki May 4, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Hi! I’m new! :D I love this recipe it’s awesome, but I wanted to ask you something. My boyfriends sister is celiac and seven, she saw these cupcakes and wanted one so bad so I promised I would make her some, what can I use to replace the flour?
Thanks so much! :D

Megan May 11, 2015 at 3:19 am

Wondering if it would be okay to use almond butter for the frosting because I’m not sure if I can get other vegan butter where I live, planning on making some tomorrow for a vegan friendly stall at my school Aware Day for Peta and Oxfam.

Rachael Watson May 21, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Can I make a regular cake with this recipe? I made the cupcakes for my daughters birthday and they were the best cupcakes I’ve ever had in my life! However, my son wants a “normal” cake for his birthday.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 26, 2015 at 10:57 am

Hi Rachael,

I did a chocolate layered cake in the Oh She Glows cookbook that is based off of this recipe. Check it out if you are interested.

runninggag May 22, 2015 at 6:43 am

Hi

I used the dough of this recipe, combined it with the coconut whipped cream, and filled them with some strawberries – everybody loved it, even non-vegans. also it was the first time i ever tried to fill cupcakes and the consistency of these is just perfect, not too crumbly and not too moist.
now i’m going to make them again for another occassion, but the same people will be there so I want to use the components a little bit differently. i was thinking about making a “blond” base, top it with the whipped coconut creme and fill it with mango and passion fruit.
but because i don’t have a lot of experience with vegan baking (mostly doing normal stuff) i’m not sure if it is safe to just leave out the cocoa powder, consistency-wise? should i replace it with something (ground almonds, nuts…?) or reduce the amount of liquid?

thanks a lot (and sorry for any english-related mistakes :D )

Rebecca June 2, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Fabulous cupcakes – will be my go to recipe from now on when a craving for chocolate cake hits! I like to top my chocolate with whipped coconut milk to provide a nice contrast without the sugar or extra sweetness.

SM June 20, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Can I use regular white vinegar ?

Barbara Gifford July 18, 2015 at 9:40 pm

I see frosty tops! :)

Carolyn July 19, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Thank you for this amazing cupcake recipe- this is the only one I use for chocolate cupcakes! Vegan and non vegan approved & loved!

Debbie August 8, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I just made these – they are amazing! I can’t wait to bring them to the potluck today.

Harriet August 12, 2015 at 4:11 am

Is it possible to make this without an electric mixer or will my hand fall off if I try?

Deb November 2, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Hi- just checking the measures for vanilla and vinegar are table not teaspoons? Original recipe calls for teaspoons. Thx x

Gillian November 30, 2015 at 12:04 am

I just made a batch of these for my lactose-intolerant daughter’s birthday – they are SO delicious and were a big hit with her friends and the whole family! I made a couple of small changes : I used balsamic instead of cider vinegar (after seeing a comment on the all recipes website about chocolate and balsamic), and I think it works well :-) I also threw in a half cup of small choc chips. Then I halved the amount of icing ingredients, added a bit of orange zest and instead of the milk and almond ext. I squeezed a tsp or two of fresh orange juice into the bowl. Wonderful recipe, I’ll be making these again and again, thanks so much !

Olga December 5, 2015 at 11:16 pm

I used this recipe for mini cupcakes for my son’s 2nd birthday party. I used different frosting, but the cupcakes were perfect and really easy and quick to make.

Jenny S January 3, 2016 at 9:54 am

Can’t BELIEVE it, these turned out EXACTLY as pictured!! WOHOOO! Delicious, and pretty. Win!! Thanks SO Much for dairy/soy free baking options. Our world just got a bit happier :)
Warmly,
Jenny from down the street (Hamilton, ON). LOL

Amber February 5, 2016 at 6:10 pm

Are those measurements for the frosting correct? I tried making it and it was waaay too powdery and ended up looking up another recipe which had slightly more butter (subtitute) and milk (soy) which really helped.
Also followed the cupcake recipe which was absolutely amazing!

Rebecca March 12, 2016 at 10:38 am

I’m not yet finished making this yet but I have just made the frosting.
While mixing the frosting, it was INCREDIBLY dry and powdery until the last 15 seconds of mixing. I found that I just had to stick with it until the icing sugar gets fully incorporated into the wet mixture. This way you end up with a lovely, thick, buttercream icing.
Also, it’s SO delicious!

Jaime May 17, 2016 at 8:32 pm

These are officially my “go-to” cupcakes for every event!! Thank you SO much! Everyone loves them, they just taste devine!!
I used coco-quench for the milk it’s an Australian organic coconut milk mixed with a little rice milk and water but tastes really good and not as thick as regular coconut milk. I use coconut oil in place of the other oil it does solidify slightly when mixing so I put the mixer up quite high after I’ve added in the dry ingredients. And I use Rapadura sugar for the sugar as its gives them this rich delicious taste. Wonderful and nut free so safe for my daughters kindy cupcake day too.

Thank you again!!

Holly July 20, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Do you think I could sub spelt flour and melt coconut oil?
These look delicious!

Jaime August 3, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Hey Holly,

I used Wholemeal spelt flour as a healthier alternative and they still turned out delicious!!

Emily August 1, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Is there any way to make these gluten free??

Patti November 22, 2016 at 11:51 am

Hi Emily! I just made these with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 All Purpose Flour. The recipe made 12 nicely raised, dense, moist chocolatey cupcakes. See my comment dated November 21, 2016.

Jenny September 27, 2016 at 12:15 pm

I made these once before and I can attest to their deliciousness however i made two batches this past weekend and I could not get the icing to stiffen. I made this almond buttercream and a peanut butter buttercream I also came across (basically the same recipe but with peanut butter added). I thought my kitchen was just too hot so I tried to cool the icing down, add more sugar, use less almond milk, etc and still I did not get an icing that would keep shape after being piped. Flavor is still great but I have to keep them in the fridge or my cupcakes will look more like cinnamon rolls. Any thoughts to where I went wrong?

Angela Liddon October 7, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Hey Jenny, Great question! I have experienced this before too. I find that it can depend on the type/brand of vegan butter that’s used. Do you know which kind you used? I use the soy-free vegan buttery spread by Earth Balance usually, and while I love that it’s soy-free, I find it doesn’t hold its shape as well for piping compared to using the butter “sticks” or shortening…I think because the water content might be higher in the spread, but I’m not sure. It’s also important that the cupcakes are completely cooled before adding any icing, even a bit of warmth will often make it melt off. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any luck in the future!”

Patti W November 21, 2016 at 12:57 pm

I made these cupcakes for a birthday party yesterday with Gluten Free Bob’s Red Mill all purpose flour. 1 to 1 replacement. This recipe made 12 nicely raised, moist, dense cupcakes that held together, with a rich chocolately flavor. I used Silk Vanilla Almond Creamer for the liquid. My Vegan family member thought they were the best she had ever eaten! I topped them with your 2-ingredient Chocolate Fudge Frosting. Oh my goodness! This frosting is amazing & I do not like or eat coconut! It was a deep rich, not too sweet fudge surprise! Definitely both recipes are keepers! Thank You so much for sharing!

Angela Liddon November 22, 2016 at 10:00 am

Glad they were a hit! :) Chocolate on chocolate…what a decadent (and such a delish!) combination!

Kolyssa May 13, 2017 at 2:25 am

Hello! If I use Earth Balance buttery stick for a buttercream frosting, can I leave the leftover frosted cupcakes in a container on the counter (room temperature)? What is your experience with the shelf life of the frosting if you don’t refrigerate it? Thanks!

Jaime May 17, 2017 at 12:59 am

Hello Kolyssa, I never refrigerate mine and they always keep well for a couple of days, although they never get a chance to sit for long to be honest!! Too yummy! But yes about 2 days. :-)

Angela Liddon June 7, 2017 at 8:13 am

Hey Kolyssa, I don’t generally recommend letting them sit on the counter as the frosting will soften quite a bit. If you can leave them in the fridge that’s probably the best option. Hope this helps!

Jean May 23, 2017 at 7:40 am

Hi

I absolutely love this recipe and have used it with all of my cupcakes orders :)
But now I have been asked if I can make vegan and gf chocolate cupcakes !!!!! I can’t possibly use any other recipe than this one, what can I do, can this be adapted to gf?
Please, please try to get back to me, Love Jean X

Angela Liddon May 29, 2017 at 10:13 am

Hey Jean, Thanks so much for the recipe love! I’m so happy to hear this one’s become your go-to. Vegan baking can be a bit finicky, and as I haven’t settled on a GF version of these cupcakes myself, I hesitate to make a suggestion on what to try. None of my GF trials have been worthy of sharing. :( If you experiment, I hope it goes well–and that you report back! Good luck :)

Rachael June 2, 2017 at 8:29 am

Can I use baking powder instead of baking soda?

Rachael June 2, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Never mind. I answered my own question. Don’t do it!

Kris December 8, 2017 at 6:01 pm

I only quickly scanned the comments so sorry if this has been mentioned, but did you know that this recipe was featured in a scene on the 2013 movie What If (aka The F Word)? It was posted on the fridge next to a more relevant storyline item. I haven’t tried it yet, but seeing it made me want to search for it online and I surprisingly found it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2017 at 8:17 pm

No way…I had no idea! Now I need to watch the movie. :) Thanks for letting me know, Kris!
I hope you love the cupcakes if you try them.
Oh my updated version is here: http://ohsheglows.com/2016/05/12/fail-proof-vegan-chocolate-cupcakes-with-salted-buttercream/