Olive Oil Pasta with Walnuts, Lentils, and Red Peppers

IMG_2090-2

This delicious meal came about on Saturday at midnight.

We had just arrived home from a friend’s house and Eric proclaimed that he was STARVING. So famished in fact, he was feeling sick to his stomach. He lifted his shirt and sucked in his stomach to emphasize his hunger while I gave him an unimpressed look suggesting that he should probably do something about it. After thinking back over the day’s events, he realized that he missed lunch on Saturday which probably explained for his lingering hunger!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Wait just a minute here.

How exactly does someone just forget to eat a meal?

Personally, I have never quite understood this phenomenon, although it happens to Eric at least once a week. I don’t think in my entire life I have ever forgotten to eat a meal.

I think it is a guy thing?

Anyways, Eric was lucky that I had a couple beers in me because he was able to convince me to cook him something…at midnight. I ended up making this quick (15 minutes flat) and delicious pasta dish.

I had no plan. I had no recipe. I just let inspiration guide me and we ended up with one kick butt pasta. When I presented this dish to him at 12:15am, the look on his face was just priceless. He knew he had struck it big.

IMG_2061

It was his lucky night!

IMG_2082

This was probably the most random pasta sauce I have ever made, but we both thought it was one of the most delicious, second only to the 15-Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta.

My random ingredients included…

IMG_2048b

Ketchup is the secret ingredient! It gives it a very slight hint of sweetness. Eric was very happy to see the ketchup bottle come out.

IMG_2049

I also added about 1/4 cup of red peppers to the sauce.

IMG_2051 IMG_2053

After draining, add the spinach and pasta back into the pot.

IMG_2056

Mix everything together and serve!

IMG_2057

Eric loved this! I snuck a couple bites and I also thought it was delicious. In fact, I loved it so much I made it for myself on Sunday. (I also took the pictures on Sunday too!)

IMG_2083

As I was preparing this, I realized that I have had a bit of a culinary ‘awakening’ over the past several months. I used to be terrified to cook anything without a recipe, but since I have had this blog I have really learned to embrace my adventurous side in the kitchen. Cooking shouldn’t be scary…it should be FUN! The great thing about cooking is that you can always adjust things to taste and keep tweaking things until you are satisfied. You pretty much cannot screw up.

(Unless of course, we are talking about last weekend when I dropped the opened salt shaker into our dinner dish just before serving!!) That was not my finest moment.

IMG_2087

For dessert:  Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond Buttercream and Raspberry Glaze.

PS- The record amount of rain turned into a snow storm this weekend!

IMG_9746

Not cool weatherman, not cool.

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 7, 2011

No, not cool at all!! This meal looks delicious – you come up with some great creations at midnight! And I’m glad Eric didn’t waste away! :)

2 Geneviève March 7, 2011

“I don’t think in my entire life I have ever forgotten to eat a meal.”
DITTO!!!

3 Lauren March 7, 2011

There’s about 20 inches of snow here, and more coming down! I definitely should have run outside when it was 45 degrees F the other day.
I don’t know how guys miss meals. My boyfriend always tells me at like 3 in the afternoon that he’s starving and hasn’t eaten all day.

4 Anna March 7, 2011

I don’t understand “forgetting” to eat either – I’m about fifty times more likely to forget my own name than to forget a mealtime. I could have chronic amnesia and forget what a fridge was, and I’d still gravitate towards it several times a day.

That said, Eric is super lucky to have you! Can I like, employ you to follow me round and make ME awesome pasta whenever I feel like it?

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

hahaha oh you crack me up! I am the same

6 Liz @ Blog is the New Black March 7, 2011

Meal looks delicious and I LOVE the colors!

7 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty March 7, 2011

YUM!!!!!!! I think your savory meals are my favorite!! Another yummy pasta recipe that I can’t wait to try!!

8 Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 7, 2011

I have definitely NEVER forgotten to eat! I always wonder about people when they make that claim:-)

9 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 7, 2011

This looks pretty great for being whipped up at midnight!! Very impressive :D

10 Rianne March 7, 2011

Hello,

I’m from the Netherlands. Please forgive my Englisch.
Your dinner looks verry nice, i make that one for myself this week.

I want to ask you a question about your breakfast….You say dat you keep it in the fridge en eat it in the morning. so what i don’t understand is…oatmeal does that not has to coock. I mean you have the flakes??? en you prepare this in a bowl with frozen fruit and almond milk or so en place it in the fridge en eat it in the morning

11 Alyneee March 7, 2011

YEah! what happens is the dry oats soak up all the moisture from the almond milk over night, so they are think and creamy, as they would be if cooked, by morning! It is DELICIOUS I tell you.

12 Rianne March 7, 2011

Hello,

I’m from the Netherlands. Please forgive my Englisch.
Your dinner looks verry nice, i make that one for myself this week.

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

Hey Rianne from Netherlands (so cool!)

You are right…you mix everything up and place it in the fridge overnight. You do NOT need to cook it. It will be soft in the morning and the chia seeds will absorb all the liquid. If you don’t use chia seeds, I would cut down the liquid a lot.

Goodluck!

14 Rianne March 7, 2011

I use chia seeds ( if i am right its called by us in the Netherlands “gebroken lijnzaad”) thank you for explain it.
I love your blog…you inspire me with your meals en what you do!

Greetings Rianne

15 maria March 9, 2011

Hi Rianne,

I am from Finland, but I speak German and Swedish (and understand some Dutch through that), so I think I can tell you that “gebroken lijnzaad” is not the same as chia seeds.

Lijn is flax in English, if I am not mistaken. Chia is just chia. It is a different seed, not so common as flax. In Finland they are sold in natural health stores, maybe in Netherlands too; just ask for chia and they should know what it is.

Angela, wow that pasta seems too good to have been made at mignight! And you are so right about letting go in the kitchen. I am trying to learn that too. I used to always stress over recipes, and making them exactly like in the books. But that was no fun! I am learning now…

16 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food March 7, 2011

Looks so good! I love all of your pasta dishes!

17 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats March 7, 2011

Super impressive! Did you really take the pictures and everything while cooking at midnight?

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

Nope took the pics Sunday (I made it for myself the next day) :)

19 Tiff March 7, 2011

What??? You didn’t dig in right along with him? That’s one of my problems, I suppose. I eat whenever the hubby eats. It’s problematic because he too is one of those “I-forgot-to-eat” people. Yeah… it must be a guy thing!

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

I had a couple bites but I can’t eat right before bed because I wake up with really bad stomach pains. I have a very weak stomach and have to be careful with it! I did enjoy it Sunday though when I made it again. :)

21 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats March 7, 2011

Thanks for replying. I totally missed that bit in your post. Soooo sorry. The pasta looks awesome :) We don’t have ketchup at home, but I am sure that subbing in some tomato paste and a smidge of sweetener will allow me to get a similar effect :)

22 Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com March 7, 2011

Looks delish! Think I’ll try whipping this up tonight. Sorry to hear about all that snow!

23 Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 7, 2011

This pasta looks SO delicious! I’ve been dying to try nutritional yeast, and this looks like the perfect way to enjoy it. Mmm! :)

24 Rachel March 7, 2011

I have absolutely no concept of what it means to accidentally forget to eat a meal! I’m usually planning my next meal in my head as I am eating.

That pasta dish looks fabulous, and I am beyond impressed that you made it at midnight. My DH would have gone hungry (or more likely eaten a frozen pizza).

25 kristy @ kristyruns.com March 7, 2011

What a great looking combo! P.S. I’ve never skipped a meal in my life! Lol!

26 Marina March 7, 2011

I never understood how my bf forgets to eat! Or doesn’t eat the whole morning! Gosh, I don’t forget to snack, how could I even forget to eat a proper meal!
Love this pasta dish. Your pasta meals always make me crave pasta :)

27 brandi March 7, 2011

We got a ton of rain and it turned into snow here, too! I was not ready for that :( I want Spring!

I love walnuts in pasta – such a great combo!

28 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 7, 2011

Lucky Eric! That plate of pasta looks amazing! I love all the sneaky unique ingredients and the lentil power punch.

I don’t get how someone could forget a meal either… I never ever even forget my snacks. Silly men.

29 Allysia March 7, 2011

LOL – my boyfriend sometimes forgets to eat too. I’ve come to terms with it being one of those things in life I will never understand.

Here in Saskatchewan we’ve also been stuck in what seems like Perpetual Winter. I think I prefer -25 weather to a wet snowstorm though (neither are fun), so I don’t envy you!

30 kate@ahealthypassion March 7, 2011

This meal looks amazing I love the addition of salsa and ketchup definitely something I have to try ! Also i’ve never put lentils with pasta but it looks soo delicious!

31 Irina March 7, 2011

Hi Angela,

You are dead-on with the whole forgetting to eat comment. I have NEVER understood how guys can do it. I knew someone who fainted once during his volleyball practice, and guess why? Because he forgot to eat for almost 2 DAYS. WHAAAATTT??!

I definitely have never forgotten to eat and I don’t think any female has :)

Keep up the fantastic work, your blog is beautiful and so are you!

-Irina

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

2 days….whaaaaaaaaa?

Thanks for your kind words!

33 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 7, 2011

My boyfriend is constantly forgetting to eat. It amazes me. I could NEVER do it. I watch the clock counting down the minutes until I can eat again [not all the time, but there are days]. This pasta looks fabulous! 40,000 unique hits on the 15minute avocado pasta is unreal! Good for you :)

34 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 7, 2011

Yummy looking pasta! That snow looks like somethiong that you would get on a Christmas card. So pretty, although I wouldn’t like to live with it though!

35 Marta March 7, 2011

so not cool Ange! this weather can vamoose. two Friday’s ago I thought spring was here :(

36 Rachel March 7, 2011

YUM. That looks like the perfect Italian meal. I love all your recipes, and your pictures come out absolutely beautiful. I need to get me a nice camera!

37 Lesley March 7, 2011

Haha, my Erik “forgets” to eat once in awhile too, and I never, ever understand. We eat a lot of pasta in this household, and this pasta creation looks perfect! : )

All that snow looks awful!! But spring has to come eventually, doesn’t it???

38 Emily @ One Sweet Vegan March 7, 2011

Mmmm–this pasta looks wonderful! How creative of you!
Sometimes I get so wrapped up in whatever is going on at the moment that I forget to eat lunch and wonder why I’m so grumpy at 3:00 pm. It doesn’t happen often, though. Lunch time is my favorite time of day.

39 Heather (heathers dish) March 7, 2011

I love the flavor that walnuts add to pasta dishes…I think this is most definitely a kick-butt dish!

40 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) March 7, 2011

i have never skipped a meal either and i cant understand how others can!! usually im planning what i can have at the next meal after i finish hahah. its so fun using different pastas like kamut, spelt, brown rice or buckwheat!

41 Shanna March 7, 2011

YES! Totally a guy thing. I don’t get it either. My day revolves around my next meal. Silly boys.

That pasta looks fab. I’ve bee majorly craving a good dish like this!

42 Elizabeth March 7, 2011

I never forget to eat! Food and sharing meals are things I love, but I do have a lot of friends where eating just isn’t a big deal to them. My boyfriend for example will have a banana in the morning and then go snowboarding all day without eating anything (snowboarding > food). I think it’s kind of like how kids would rather be playing with their friends than come inside to eat dinner :)

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

that is a good analogy about kids…I guess I used to be like that too back in the day! My mom would have to beg me to come inside for lunch. I don’t know who that girl is anymore. haha

44 Julie @ Shining From Within March 7, 2011

Ahhhh! Just when you thought Spring was right around the corner it turns to snow haha. I love pasta dishes. Pasta ia a fab blank canvas and anything added to it will always taste fab! Yuuuum!

45 Amy March 7, 2011

Confession time…I was so busy yesterday that at 3:30 I realized I hadn’t eaten lunch. It was too late to eat lunch then, so I just went ahead and made dinner. I think the late cup of tea I had just kept me going.

46 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles March 7, 2011

This recipe looks great – simple flavors but I bet they taste absolutely amazing together! I don’t think I have ever skipped a meal – I have to eat every two hours, or I get cranky. HA!

47 Alaina March 7, 2011

I wish I was more adventurous in the kitchen. That pasta looks amazing!!

Boo to snow! I want the spring! :-)

48 Jenny March 7, 2011

Love this! I have almost all the ingredients on hand and not much else and I was wondering what to do with them…I now have dinner :)
And I love you brought up the whole not eating thing. This weekend my boyfriend and I were working on motorcycles for 10 straight hours a day with his dad, and it’d be 9 at night and they’d say “I’m hungry…oh I went grocery shopping this morning and forgot to eat anything”. WHAT? I go to the grocery store and usually buy something that I can try in my car. Men.

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

haha craaazy men!

50 Mallory March 7, 2011

The part about forgetting to eat made me laugh out loud:) Thanks for that!

51 Cathy @What Would Cathy Eat? March 7, 2011

This looks great, and so easy! I will probably substitute crushed tomatoes or something for the ketchup!

52 Diana @ frontyardfoodie March 7, 2011

Oh yummy! How comforting with crazy weather like that to eat nice and warm food!

53 Moni'sMeals March 7, 2011

Gosh that looks good and at midnight too! The best meals come together with no plan! Chop and drop. Eric is a lucky man as I have said like 10 times. )

Stay warm!!! With this meal you can at least.

54 Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. March 7, 2011

I really like when you post savory dishes. I’m not much of a sweets person (well, I love sweets, but I don’t like to bake and don’t do well with lots of cookies hanging around the house). I really like your lemony, spinach penne pasta dish!

55 Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. March 7, 2011

PS – How do I get my picture next to my comment? Yesterday it was showing up, but not today. Weird.

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

check out gravatar.com :)

57 Carolyn H. March 7, 2011

Testing this for gravatar… since I have one.

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

I think you also have to be logged in somehow or the gravatar won’t show up?

59 Alex @ Healing Beauty March 7, 2011

Although I am sorry about the snow, that is one beautiful picture!

60 Ashley March 7, 2011

This recipe is amazing. I love how the noodles are glistening!! The colors are so prettttty!! I’m with you…I neverrrrr forget a meal.

61 Gen March 7, 2011

That meal looks amazing! Thanks for posting this recipe! =D

62 Elizabeth @ RunWithSneakers March 7, 2011

Angela, I made your Tomato Walnut Basil Pasta the other night and it was out-of-this-world good. And now you present us with another drool-worthy pasta recipe. Oh, I am sooooo making it this week. I can’t wait!

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

Im glad you enjoyed it!

64 Sam (the neurotic yogini) March 7, 2011

What a GENIUS way to create tomato sauce w/ items you have on hand! I absolutely LOVE that you used ketchup and salsa (things that are always in my fridge) for the sauce. I was thinking the other day about using some ketchup to add to my pasta sauce, but was hesitant to try. I will definitely try it out now!!! Looks delicious!

65 Jennifer Cook March 7, 2011

I just got a sudden craving for pasta! I have everything but the walnuts, wonder if it will still be just as good?

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

the walnuts give it a wonderful crunch but im sure it would be fine without it too!

67 zoe (and the beatles) March 7, 2011

i’ve definitely forgotten to eat meals before on accident! call me crazy :)

regardless, your pasta looks super yummy! eric is a lucky man! i haven’t had pasta in aaages…this might be a great place to start :)!

sorry about the snow :( fingers crossed it melts soon!!!

68 Roz March 7, 2011

That husband of yours is one lucky man!!! This looks delicious. Have a great day.

69 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 7, 2011

I rarely if ever forget to eat too… silly men!

The best meals are often born in these situations.. not thinking too much and just throwing things together until they taste just like you want them to

70 Michelle | gold-hearted girl March 7, 2011

So many nutritious ingredients in this! And comforting, too. :)

71 Amber K March 7, 2011

I 100% do not understand “forgetting” to eat. A meal, a snack, anything. How is this possible????

I am still entirely too scared to cook without a recipe. I need at least the semblance of one. I’m just not a big cook. I don’t know how to adjust or fix things if they go awry.

72 Christine R March 7, 2011

It is definitely a guy thing. My husband is the worst at forgetting, along with several of his guys friends. Eric is lucky to have you cook for him at that hour. I’m sure he won’t forget that. :)

73 Silvia @ skinny jeans food March 7, 2011

This must be one of the best looking pasta dishes ever. And not just because I am hungry!

74 Cherie March 7, 2011

Well, it’s not just a guy thing. Although judging from the comments it seems more common for them. I’ve forgotten to eat lots of meals, I just get busy – often reading and the time slips by. It’s a challenge for me since I have to cook for a family and they don’t forget ;-).

75 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious March 7, 2011

I’m with you…I’ll never understand people who just ‘forget’ to eat a meal. I don’t think I’ve skipped a meal…ever! I love to eat. When I’m not eating, I’m thinking about what I’m going to make next to eat :-) I dunno, maybe it’s a sickness.

That pasta looks awesome – and the fact that its so quick is an added bonus!

76 Annette @ EnjoyYOURHealthyLife March 7, 2011

That looks tasty :) My husband sometimes “forgets to eat”…sooo weird!

77 Karen March 7, 2011

I totally had dinner all mapped out this week, until I saw this recipe. I am so excited to try it! Thanks for posting it :)

78 Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen March 7, 2011

This looks so good!!

79 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 7, 2011

Forgetting to eat BLOWS my mind. I have forgotten lots of things: my keys, where I parked, birthdays… to put on a bra… but NEVER have I forgotten to eat!

throwing meals together from nothing is my favorite. I will wander around the grocery store adding things to my cart just because the flavors sounds good together.

80 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 7, 2011

Wearing a bra < getting food into belly. See, yours are all excusable…forgetting to eat? Yeah, blows my mind pretty much sums it up!

81 Faith @ lovelyascharged March 7, 2011

Unlike the snow, that pasta looks awesome! Sometimes that little bit of spontaneity in the kitchen is enough to come up with some killer recipes!

82 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 7, 2011

I have fresh basil on hand and may give this a try with it!

83 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 7, 2011

I love recipes that call for what’s already in my pantry. thaaaank you! :)

84 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle March 7, 2011

amazing! I’ll deifnitely be making this or something like it soon!

85 Sharon March 7, 2011

Mmmm this looks sooooo good. I know what I’m making for dinner tonight :)

86 Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) March 7, 2011

Sorry about the snow. Don’t you hate when Spring flirts with you then Ole Man Winter shows up because he is jealous? lol…… I was craving mexican but now I want this :)

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

yes I do! Old man winter can take a hike!

88 Danielle @ an appetite for life March 7, 2011

That looks fantastic. Sounds like a good way to introduce lentils to hubby gently!

89 Clare @ Fitting It All In March 7, 2011

What a unique sauce!
And I don’t get the forgetting meals thing either. I had a college roommate that would do that. Meals are #1 priority for me!

90 R Chandra March 7, 2011

mmm.. pasta. :D love the swirl of spaghetti in the fork.

omg snow! eeek. i hope springtime graces you with her presence soon!

91 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans March 7, 2011

My boyfriend skips meals regularily and I don’t know how he does it. I will claw someones eyes out if I get too hungry to its not advisable for me :)

92 Alyssa @ fashionfitnessfoodie March 7, 2011

MMMM. That pasta looks amazing! I am trying to only eat heavy carbs in the morning this week because I am going on Vacation on Friday but you really have me craving this!
I cant believe you were pummeled with snow! It’s been crazy rainy/windy here but thankfully no more snow. Hopefully you at least got a snow day!

93 Katheryn March 7, 2011

Yum! That looks so good.

I have never understood forgetting to eat a meal either. My hubby does this way too often! Must definitely be a male thing.

94 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 7, 2011

I totally have pasta on the brain now ;) …wasn’t sure what I was going to make for dinner, but pasta must be involved ! Yummy looking recipe. I love the secret ingredient. Great idea!

95 Nichole March 7, 2011

I don’t think my belly would let me forget to eat, I might be too busy at work to take lunch but normally I am still well aware that it is lunch time and I SHOULD be able to take the time even though I can’t… LOL

96 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 7, 2011

It’s snowing there? Omg that sucks. I feel your pain. I grew up in MN and then Chicago, winter just goes on and on…ugh.

“Cooking shouldn’t be scary…it should be FUN! The great thing about cooking is that you can always adjust things to taste and keep tweaking things until you are satisfied. You pretty much cannot screw up. “—

That says it all!!! We should all be more adventurous! Worst thing that can happen is that you have to throw it out, usually less than $5 worth of food, and 99% of the time, it can be salvaged to be edible, even if it’s not the finest masterpiece ever. Because sometimes dinner on Tuesday night isn’t a masterpiece, it’s just dinner to feed a hungry family, and that’s ok too :)

This dinner looks beautiful, the pics -submit these to TS and FG – they BETTER pick them up :) But the recipe is great…combines things in your cabinet to form a great sauce. And voila, beautiful pasta and a great meal followed! YUM

97 Baking 'n' Books March 7, 2011

40,000 hits???!! What. Is. That.

;)

LOL – you can definitely market this recipe as prepared “any time, day or NIGHT”!”

I can’t believe he wanted spaghetti though!! – I mean I’m all about the carbs on those late-nights…but it’s usually Pizza or ….Kraft Dinner ;)

98 megan @ the oatmeal diaries March 7, 2011

Haha “forgetting” meals is DEFINITELY a guy thing! I can safely say it has never ever happened to me. Now I want to try both this and the avocado pasta! Such beautiful dishes!

99 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 7, 2011

Oh man, that looks awesome! Thanks for the idea on how to use the bag of lentils I bought and no idea how to implement them! LOL

100 Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 7, 2011

What a stunning dish :) And it looks so very tasty too!

101 Katey @ Bonne Santé March 7, 2011

I’m so with you on the never forgetting to eat a meal thing. When people suddenly realise they haven’t eaten ALL DAY, I have to push my jaw back up and try my best to sympathise with something so so foreign to me!
Your photos are looking beautiful! Great wing-it recipe :)

102 Kristin March 7, 2011

I’d like to take just a little bit of responsibility for the 40,000 hits. I posted a link to that recipe on a facebook page for avocados. Yes, I actually “liked” avocados on FB. A little weird maybe, but also shows just how truly obsessed I am with them.

I hope you don’t mind me posting the link! I just absolutely loved the recipe. Simple and delicious!

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

haha thank you! No shame in liking avocados…I would ‘love’ them if I could!

104 Amanda March 7, 2011

This looks delicious and so simple! :)

105 Ellie@fitforthesoul March 7, 2011

Mmmm what an interesting and yummy recipe! I DID really like the avocado pasta. I have a feeling this one will be even better :)

106 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 7, 2011

This is great! It’s inspiration because I’m thinking about making pasta sauce with Tomarillo Chutney tonight….

107 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 7, 2011

Haha! I have looked at that Avocado Recipe dozens of times myself :)

This looks delicious — and what is funny is that Jason “forgets” to eat all the time. I don’t get it! The only time I miss a meal is if I am sooooo busy at work and can’t take a break. Otherwise I make time to eat!

108 VeganVirgin March 7, 2011

OMG! This looks AMAZING! I have come across your site and I am HOOKED!! I have made several of your recipes and they have all turned out wonderful! I even got my kids to eat your creamy avacado pasta for dinner tonight…which is AMAZING! Thanks for all the free information and beautiful pictures that beg me to walk into my kitchen and create amazing vegan food.

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2011

thanks so much! :)

110 (what runs) Lori March 7, 2011

I’m pretty sure I’m drooling right now. This pasta looks incredible. I’d probably just eat the sauce right from the pot.
Anyway, yes, forgetting to eat meals is definitely a guy thing. Like you, I have never even been close to forgetting to eat… I love food too much to forget about it. ;)
Crazy boys.

111 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 7, 2011

What a beautiful dish! I love the interesting ingredient list. Can’t wait to try this one.

112 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 7, 2011

I die. Chels just posted a recipe for breadsticks, and this is the PERF bowl of deliciousness to dip them in!

113 Jenny March 7, 2011

Everyday I get more and more reason to try nutritional yeast! I love reading your stories:) Looks yummy!

114 Charlie March 7, 2011

This pasta looks amazing! And so easy!
I NEVER skip a meal! And need my snacks too ;). But my boyfriend often skips meals, which I don’t understand either :P.

115 Annie@stronghealthyfit March 7, 2011

That pasta looks amazing! I don’t understand how people forget to eat meals, either. I never do!

116 Camille March 7, 2011

Your pastas always look so good that they have a way of making me think I like pasta, even though I don’t :)

117 Kerri March 7, 2011

I’m eating this right now and it’s so good, Angela! I used a med/hot salsa plus the red pepper flakes, so it’s definitely got some kick. Yum!

118 jamie @ jamelafamela March 7, 2011

walnuts and lentils are the best combo. Use fresh WW pasta next time— mmmmmm!!!!

119 Katie March 7, 2011

Angela, you have outdone yourself yet again! I just made this tonight and it was Fan-freaking-tastic… my bf and I both loved it. I will be making this meal again and again. I used brown rice pasta and added some fresh basil along with the dried (as per your suggestion)…. and otherwise i followed it to a T. Inspired. thanks!

120 lauren @ spiced plate March 7, 2011

i’ve been on such a lentil and walnut kick..this pasta looks fantastic and satifies all my recent cravings! I’d prob make it w/ quinoa pasta, though :)

121 Zestful Lou March 7, 2011

I love when “throw-whatever-we-have-on-hand” dishes turn out to be the best! I’m sure we’ve all had our time when that same concept turned into the ultimate fail, as well. Anyone with me??

122 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 7, 2011

This looks amazing! My husband always forget to eat too – I don’t get it at all.

I never forget a meal – and I’ve been planning on eating that avocado pasta for a while – tomorrows the night!!

123 Hannah March 7, 2011

I’m so with you, Angela! I can’t even begin to imagine forgetting to eat a meal. Food is what makes me happy, so it’s on my mind a lot, to the extent I could never forget to eat. And by gosh, you’re an awesome wife! I’m single, but I reckon I’d’ve just made a guy some vegemite on toast :)

124 Lauren @chigallauren March 7, 2011

Looks delicious! I’m still in the “afraid to cook without a recipe” phase…hopefully I’ll get a little more adventurous soon :)

125 Kat @ Cupcake Kat March 7, 2011

I have no idea how one can forget or skip a meal.
This pasta dish sounds really good and simple. I’m planning on making your avocado pasta recipe this weeK!

126 Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc March 8, 2011

I have been looking for a kick-ass vegan tomato sauce pasta recipe and this might be it. I’m not too sure if I can grab hold of nutritional yeast. Is there a good substitute for it? Or can I omit it?

127 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2011

If you are not vegan, I would say the best sub is cheese or even parm cheese. Otherwise I am not sure!

128 Amy March 8, 2011

Just made this for supper — really different… and really good! I forgot the red peppers though (it’s not on the ingredients list), and used only 1/2 cup of salsa for a quadrupled recipe. Everyone liked it!

129 Alison @ Hospitality Haven March 8, 2011

This was definitely what I based my dinner on tonight! YUM! Thanks! :)

130 Julie March 8, 2011

Bonsoir!
I am a new fan of this blog and I have noticed that on a few occasions you mention this nutritional yeast…I’m not sure what it is exactly and what would be a good substitute? This recipe looks DELISH.
Many thanks!

131 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2011

Bonsoir Julie! You can read about nutritional yeast here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast

You can purchase it at natural food stores or in some bulk food stores (or online). Goodluck!

132 Lynna March 8, 2011

Not just a guy thing! I definitely have a couple of girl friends who forget to eat meals. It used to make me jealous but now, for the most part, I’ve embraced my love of food. This pasta looks so delicious but wow, it’s full of ingredients I never would have though to put together- I’m really curious about how it tastes. May just have to try it soon!

133 Sharon March 9, 2011

OH.MY.GOSH
This is soooooo yummy! I just got done with a 10 mile run and I know this can bias me sometimes (read: everything tastes delicious) but I really really think this one tastes good. It was so quick and easy too! Usually by the time I make something after a run I’ve already gobbled down everything in the kitchen and then I’m too full to enjoy the delicious meal but this was so quick!

134 Gloria March 10, 2011

I made this tonight for my parents and sis, and they all loved it! It was delicious, thank you! :)

135 Jess March 13, 2011

I couldn’t take it anymore, i had to go and buy some nutritional yeast and try this recipe (and many more that I haven’t made yet as I didn’t have any yeast) AMAZING! This dish is delicious and I cant believe I have lived without nutritional yeast for so long! Its the bomb-diggity! The walnuts and yeast really make this sauce for me. xo

136 Cari March 15, 2011

Oh this looks amazing! Would love to feature your recipe and photo on http://www.canigettherecipe.com with full links and credits back to you! Please let me know if you are keen.

Sincerely,
Cari

137 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

I prefer to keep my recipes on my own site, but thanks for your interest!

138 Cari March 17, 2011

No problem! Let me know if you ever change your mind as my posts go out to over 1750 subscribers. All the best!

139 Christine Bongiovanni March 17, 2011

Made this tonight and it was DELISH! I was somewhat hesitant to try it but I had marked it and got the ingredients and am so glad i did! Thank you!

140 Natalie March 19, 2011

Made this today! It was great! It was the first time my husband did not request that I add meat to the recipe next time!

Love your blog!

141 Jennifer Merschel March 21, 2011

I made this tonight and my husband raved about it! Great job just “throwing it together”. It’s so much more interesting and nutritious than plain old pasta and sauce.

142 Britt March 26, 2011

Finally got a chance to make this tonite. It was mind blowingly good. Had all of the ingredients on hand and it came together in 20 minutes. The only thing I changed was adding more spinach – I’m addicted! This is the perfect meal to make for my non-vegan friends as well. This will definitely be in heavy rotation in our house!

143 Jackie March 31, 2011

I made this pasta last night. I have to say I was a little skeptical of the sauce but man it was good! I’m gonna have to make a bigger batch next time. Thanks.

144 Rika April 6, 2011

Loooved it! I love the legumes+ walnuts combo! ( I used pasta sauce instead of salsa and I’d recommend decreasing the salt if doing the substitution!) Please make a cookbook, pretty please? :D

145 Kortney July 7, 2012

I’ve been reading this site and the green monster movement one for hours now. Your way with words is numerous and inspiring.. This meal looks delicious and I’m anxious to try it.. I’ve been trying to find a way to get my kids and husband to eat better.. I’d say we eat a lot of brown rice chicken and green beans with some kind of fruit and it’s getting BORING! My husband inisitnitsnthe best way to get into shape eating plain food but the kids hate it so I normally give them the food kids like which is crap.. All in all im soooooo happy I found your sites :)

146 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012

Thank you so much Kortney!

147 Kylie July 8, 2012

Missed meals are not a problem for me either – this recipe is fantastic. Spending the weekend cooking up all the great recipes you have posted! I started with your top 2011 entrees – special trip to Whole Foods just to fill in the blanks! Thanks!

148 Sara July 20, 2012

Angela i made this tonight for my parents and it was so delicious – it is unlike any pasta i have ever tried – and love the spiciness! thanks for the great recipe – so excited to try making your falafels tomorrow!

149 Krys August 19, 2012

I tried this recipe tonight for my boo’s lunch this week. He actually admitted he was excited to try his lunch tomorrow. {something I don’t hear often ;) }
I actually quadrupled the recipe and… just out of curiosity is the sauce generally a little thick? Not a big deal, but it did taste delicious :)

150 jet January 18, 2013

Lovely and delicious looking. Many today are not forgetting to eat, but simply can’t eat three meals a day, or are lucky if they can get a meal home made. Nutritional yeast was expensive in my town, but what the heck. Yet, once one can’t make enough money to eat three healthy meals a day, or lets’ just say two healthy ones a day, why care about living at all. Food is essential…

151 Ashleigh March 28, 2013

Seriously, this pasta sauce was fan-freakin-tastic!!!! You weren’t lying when you said it’s got a punch :) LOVE IT!

152 Danielle May 8, 2013

So not a guy thing. I have been forgetting meals since junior high and I’m now in my early 30’s. I don’t know why or how it happened but it did and continues to this day. Certainly not my best habit but anyways….that dish looks so yummy. I can’t wait to try it. Thank you for sharing!

153 Theresa June 3, 2013

Just made this… I was a tad skeptical of the randomness at first, but intrigued enough by the simplicity to give it a whirl. Let me just say…absolutely delicious!!! The will be on my keepers list for a quick meal! Thanks!

Theresa

154 Olivia July 13, 2013

Angela, you are an inspiring woman and I hope one day I can follow big dreams and succeed just as you have done with your life. Thank you for the amazing recipes, I’ve already made this one twice and only discovered your website less than a week ago! My mom loves it AND it’s healthy for her diabetes. I will be back to your website many many times to come. Keep working hard for your dreams, I will definitely purchase your cookbook!!

155 Katherine October 2, 2013

I made this tonight and it’s delicious!!! I love the flavors and textures and it’s pretty darn healthy too! The salsa I used was pretty spicy, so I probably didn’t need the (generous) pinch of red pepper flakes…still awesome though!

156 Fort Lauderdale FL General Contractors October 10, 2013

wonderful issues altogether, you simply received a logo new reader.
What might you suggest about your publish that you simply made
some days in the past? Any positive?

157 sally June 23, 2014

I made this last night, exactly as directed. It was delicious! Have sent the recipe to my friends. I would have never put those items together – you are very talented!

158 Jessica Lipinski November 6, 2014

This recipe is SOOOOOO good!! Exceeded my expectations. I substituted the pasta for squoodles and zoodles (squash and zucchini). Definitely do NOT make the red pepper optional – throw it in there!! I ate the entire dish for dinner. Absolutely delicious. If only more vegan dished could taste like this…

159 Theresa Rayner March 12, 2015

This is my all time FAVORITE recipe of yours!

160 Audrey May 3, 2015

Ooooh momma – I just made this dish using black (beluga) lentils. So good! My tummy and mouth are very happy. :-)

161 Shafqat September 28, 2015

Try also: minced beef burgers

162 Holly April 18, 2016

I have made this sauce several times now, and I can confidently say, this is THE BEST pasta sauce I have EVER had. Ever. I increase the recipe size x8, make it in my biggest pot, and freeze everything in a silicon muffin tray for single servings down the road. It freezes and reheats quite nicely, and the lentil/walnut combo gives it that “meaty” stick-to-the-noodles texture. As soon as the freezer supply runs low, I whip up another big batch. Seriously best I’ve ever had. Thank you!!!

163 Angela Liddon April 18, 2016

Aww, you are to sweet Holly! I am so thrilled to hear you love this recipe so much. Thanks for the lovely comment!