Avocados and Mustard Seeds

IMG_1620

There are many bloggers who inspire my crazy passion for writing, photography, and recipe creation. One of the very first blogs I came across was Heidi Swanson’s blog, 101 Cookbooks. Heidi has been blogging since 2003 (!), gracing the Internet with her gorgeous photography, natural food recipes, and tales of life, travels, and her favourite cookbooks.

Heidi sums up her website by saying,

‘When you own over 100 cookbooks, it is time to stop buying, and start cooking. This site chronicles a cookbook collection, one recipe at a time.’

And did she ever.

Since she started blogging, Heidi has written a few cookbooks: Cook 1.0Super Natural Cooking and her most recent due out in April 2011, Super Natural Every Day…(not to mention the immense recipe collection on her blog!)

IMG_1589

I have always enjoyed Heidi’s natural food approach to cooking and I eagerly await her posts every week, excited to put my own vegan spin on them. One of my favourite recipes that I made from her blog are these Carrot Cake Cookie Bites. These babies were actually vegan to begin with too.

20101120IMG_1224_thumb

(If you haven’t made them yet, you must!)

This week, Heidi released 6 ‘teaser’ recipes for her upcoming cookbook Super Natural Every Day and I just about died from excitement. The teaser recipes show just how beautiful her work is and the attention to detail she has when writing a cookbook. I can’t wait to pick up my own copy in April!

Naturally, I had to try one of the recipes as soon as I downloaded the PDF.

And then I realized that sometimes the world just gives you two perfectly ripe avocados and the perfect recipe falls into your lap.

Today was one of those days.

IMG_1614

I ended up adapting this recipe to suit what I had in my fridge and it still turned out fabulous. Be sure to check out the original recipe if you want to follow it to a tee. I was really happy with how this version turned out.

IMG_1575b

Gently mash the avocado, salt, and lemon juice together, making sure to leave it chunky.

It is important that your avocados are perfectly ripe (no pressure though! ha). They need to be nice and soft (but without brown spots). This helps the avocado blend well with the other ingredients…and just taste fabulous.

IMG_1579

Don’t worry though, if your avocados have a couple small brown spots…just as long as they aren’t bitter tasting from over-ripeness you should be good!

In a skillet over medium heat, add in the coconut oil (or Heidi also suggests clarified butter). Once the skillet is hot, add in the mustard seeds. Cover with a lid (they will POP!) and once the seeds stop popping, add in your chopped onion. Cook for a few minutes on low and then add in your garlic and curry powder. Cook for a few minutes longer.

IMG_1581 IMG_1583

Meanwhile, grab a tortilla wrap (I used Food For Life Ezekiel wrap) and spread on some Earth Balance or butter. Sprinkle with garlic powder and paprika. Bake in the oven for about 6 minutes at 400F, watching very closely. It will be slightly crisp on the outer edge when ready.

IMG_1580

Cut into wedges with a pizza slicer.

IMG_1599

Mmmmm. So good.

IMG_1601

Once the skillet mixture is done cooking, remove from heat and stir in the avocado mixture.

IMG_1590

Serve immediately, warm, with crackers, chips, bread, etc.

IMG_1596

This. is. amazing.

It is the ultimate luxurious, creamy spread for avocado lovers. The hint of curry spice and garlic goes nicely with the freshness of the avocado and lemon. I can’t wait to try it with Cilantro too.

IMG_1604

It made such a fantastic snack!

IMG_1608

I wrapped up the leftover dip, but I see us polishing it off quickly…!

IMG_1629

If you want your avocado to last longer in the fridge, save the pit and store the avocado with the pit. I popped the two pits into the bowl and added a tight fitting lid. The lemon juice should also help preserve it a bit longer too!

Update: This spread started to brown after an hour or two in the fridge. Next time I think I will make a half batch. On the second day, I scraped off the brownish spread on the top and then used the remainders below (which had not browned). Apparently, you can also help preserve it by placing a small piece of plastic wrap tightly over top of the spread and then putting a lid on top.

If you are interested, Super Natural Every Day is available for pre-order on Amazon for $13.

P.S.- Dal Makhni is coming up this weekend. :)

1 AdrienneCarolyn February 25, 2011

I love Heidi I make her stuff all the time! This looks great, although I live alone and am afraid I’d kill the whole thing in one sitting haha….I’d better half this recpie!

2 Caitie @ The Caitie Experiment February 25, 2011

I have yet to get an avocado to “perfect” ripeness! I always end up buying them when they’re still hard, and then check them every day. Then, I think they’re just right, cut them and find brown spots! HELP ME, ANGELA! :)

I love the idea of curry with the avocado — I’d never thought of that! I always count on the lime juice in my guac to keep it green, and it seems to help, but I’ll definitely be trying the pit now, too! PS- I love the photos of the avocado with the pit sitting there in the empty shell. Gorgeous!

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 25, 2011

haha that usually happens to me too…all the time actually….but for some reason today they were PERFECT. It was a sign! Dont worry if there are a couple small brown spots or imperfections…just as long as it is not bitter you’ll be ok.

4 Malorie February 25, 2011

The empty avocado shell holding the pit was a really interesting way to fill the space in your photograph. It really drew me in, made it more dynamic.

My problem with avocados and ripeness tends to be with my grocery store. Many days I go in and they either feel like water balloons or rocks. It’s a good day when I find that happy medium. And a following week full of avocado recipes that my boyfriend won’t touch.

I look forward to adding this one to the list. I also tend to forget I can make chips out of the tortilla shells we seem to always have in my house. And they’re usually tastier!

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 25, 2011

I have the same problem with grocery store stock…it’s sad! You are right, they are either hard as rocks or too soft. I find they do ripen fairly fast on the counter though…once they are ripe I pop them in the fridge.

Thanks for your kind words about the photos! Glad you noticed ;)

6 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 25, 2011

i LOVE LOVE LOVE AVOCADO!! woah. .i didnt even know mustard seeds existed.. in that form of course!.. ive only ever tried it in a spread!

7 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa February 25, 2011

Looks delicious! Would be a great dish to bring to a party.

8 Bridget February 25, 2011

I love that trick of adding the pits for keeping avocados fresh in the fridge. It really does help preserve that green colour! I would have never thought of mustard seeds and avocados, but it sounds lovely. Maybe i’ll give it a go this weekend….!??!

9 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 25, 2011

thank you so much for tipping her site/book :) Ive seen it around a lot but never really took the time to look into her blog but I definitely will now :). 100+ cookbooks? impressive :D. I think we can all relate to collecting the books but cooking too little from them ;)

10 Paige February 25, 2011

Ooh, I just made the carrot cake bites last week! Amazing.

11 Allison @ Food For Healing February 25, 2011

hmm very interesting. the colors are beautiful. If it doesn’t taste like guac, im not sure if i like avocado! lol

12 Mary (What's Cookin' With Mary) February 25, 2011

About 3 years ago I had no idea what a blog was… My husband (B) came home with a baked good he bought at his office (they had a bake sale – can’t rememebr what for) and I asked him who made it. When I finally got ahold of her, she emailed me a link to 101Cookbooks and I was addicted. I couldn’t stop looking at her site. Pretty soon I was on there everyday looking for inspiration. Love at first sight (site lol).

I love how Heidi’s recipes are all simple and fairly easy to exicute. Most don’t have too many ingredients and all of them have a healthy spin on them.

Can’t wait for her new book!!

13 Ashley February 25, 2011

Heidi’s blog was the first blog I ever read. I didn’t know the food-blog world existed, and I didn’t even really realize her site was a blog. LOL I loved it from the start, even when I was a meat eater. Believe it or not, I just got a copy of her first book. Don’t know what took me so long. It’s amazing!! The millet muffins are calling my name in her sampler…mmmm

14 Heather (Heather's Dish) February 25, 2011

um, amazing…i love dips and this one sounds so fresh and delicious!

15 Amanda (Eating Up) February 25, 2011

Getting a perfectly ripe avocado is a challenge for me!

16 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats February 25, 2011

Both your recipe and Heidi’s look fantastic!

17 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 25, 2011

This looks delicious! I love hearing about new-to-me blogs and getting new blog inspiration. Thanks for sharing Ange! :)

18 Bronwyn February 25, 2011

Delicious. Love your tortilla cracker/chip too. I love avocado and guacamole! And I LOVE 101 cookbooks, such a beautiful site.

19 BrightBakes February 25, 2011

gorgeous…I must try this…I never use curry powder with avocado…always use more “mexican” themed spices..this would be a great change-up!
love,
cathy b.

20 Freya February 25, 2011

Looks delicious!
And wow – 2003! I was 13…and now I’m about to graduate and be a Real Person!! That’s a loooong time…

21 kate@ahealthypassion February 25, 2011

Wow this dip looks amazing, I love Heidis blog and own her first cookbook can’t wait for the second to come out! I’m glad to see im not the only one who gets overly excited about picking a good avocado, its so difficult!

22 Julie @ Shining From Within February 25, 2011

Just like Heidi is an inspiration to you, you’re an inspiration to me! Your blog was the first blog I ever started reading and I love it. Your pictures are gorgeous too. I have all the ingredients for this recipe so I definitely see myself making this really soon ;) Thank you!

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 25, 2011

Thank you! :)

24 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious February 25, 2011

That dip looks so good! I love avocados, but sometimes I like to mix it up and try something other than the usual guacamole. I have been planning on buying some brown rice tortillas and trying to make them into chips…I think this will be the perfect dip to go along with them!

25 Amber K February 25, 2011

Avocados are tricky little things! I have gotten a “perfect” one a few times, and the taste is unbelieveable! I wish it wasn’t so hard, but even when it’s not great..it’s gooood.

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 25, 2011

I know what you mean, the ones I had today were probably the best Ive ever tasted…well, aside from our Mexico trip (that is where I first fell in love with them)!

27 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 25, 2011

That dip looks really yummy. I love avocados and all their healthy fats!!

28 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 25, 2011

what a simple and tasty dish, i love it !

29 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 25, 2011

Oh yum! This looks so delicious, and simple. It would be a perfect lunch, maybe with some black beans and cumin? My heart is racing.

I agree with you, the carrot bites are probably the best thing that’s ever left my kitchen. I made them gluten free and loved them to pieces. Here’s the gluten free version, if you’re interested: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2010/12/carrot-bites/

30 Ellie@fitforthesoul February 25, 2011

Mmmmm nice and fresh~I love how your recipes are always fresh! :D And exotic I must say

31 Nichole February 25, 2011

The avacado lover in me is excited to make this!!!!!

32 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 25, 2011

That looks so good!

33 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 25, 2011

101 Cookbooks was one of the first food blogs I started reading. I love Heidi’s creations! She’s a big inspiration, as are you.

Speaking of, I made your Sweet Potato B’fast Casserole… OMG. Breakfast will never be the same!

34 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 25, 2011

The recipe looks wonderful…and yes, Heidi has an incredible blog and recipes! (just like you :))

Amen to her quote: ‘When you own over 100 cookbooks, it is time to stop buying, and start cooking. This site chronicles a cookbook collection, one recipe at a time”

I have close to 100 books (many of them gifts)…and then there’s blog reading…sooo many recipes, so little time!

The backlink to the carrot cake balls…oh I really need those in my life right about now!

35 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 25, 2011

Ugh I hate when avocadoes get bitter from over-ripeness. That happened to me the other day and I had to spit it out. It was gross!

This recipe looks great though. Heidi always has amazing ideas!

36 KT80 February 25, 2011

This looks great! Thanks for the idea!

37 Gen February 25, 2011

That dip looks awesome! Too bad avocados are super expensive here…..

38 Jenny February 25, 2011

Looks great, fresh and tasty! I’ve never tried mustard seed before so this may give me a good excuse to! Your avacados always look great! Must be the canada weather:)

39 kelli February 25, 2011

love what you did with the wraps!

40 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 25, 2011

I have just recently mastered the art of choosing avocados — I used to always choose them when they were TOO ripe or not ripe enough. Have you ever tried to mash an avocado that just will not mash? I had hard chunks of avocado flying all over my kitchen!

This looks so delicious and fresh and springy — all the things I want right now!

41 Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh February 25, 2011

I never knew the pit trick! I will def have to try it! YOUR blog is such an inspiration to ME! Keep up the amazing work :)

42 Sara February 25, 2011

Actually the pits don’t really help keep it from turning, the best thing to do is to put the avocado mix into a tupperware or other airtight container, but before putting the lid on, take a piece of plastic wrap and lay it directly on the surface of the avocado mix so that it’s completely “sealed off” and THEN put your lid on the container. It still won’t save it completely, because even in an airtight situation, avocado really easily changes flavors, so you shouldn’t keep any avocado-based dish for more than 24 hours. It’s a shame, because I’d love to make guacamole and just let it sit there for days, but it’s never the same. :P

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 25, 2011

I’ve always had good luck with keeping the pit in with my avocados…they last for at least 2 days.

44 Moni'sMeals February 25, 2011

This just looks incredible! I am glad you mentioned her because I wanted to get her book and you reminded me. :)
I could eat thst whole bowl….

45 Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy February 25, 2011

I feel like I can never had enough avocado in my life! But unfortunately I’m not a big fan of onions! Oh, well! :)

46 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 25, 2011

That looks delicious!! I am an avocado lover for sure, so I would gobble this up!

47 Alex @ Healing Beauty February 25, 2011

Love me some avocados!! I think avocados and sweet potatoes make one of the best combinations!

48 Michelle February 25, 2011

I absolutely LOVE Heidi’s blog. I actually made a resolution to cook every recipe from Super Natural Cooking…it’s turning out to be a lot harder than I imagined, but so, so fun!

49 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher February 25, 2011

You’ve written so gracefully about Heidi, Angela. And the recipe? Well, I’m obsessed with avocados.

50 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy February 25, 2011

I love sandwiches with avocado and stone ground mustard on them. So something tells em I am going to LOVE this recipe.

51 kaila February 25, 2011

I love 101 COOKBOOKS! Heidi takes such beautiful pics…..they actually remind me a lot of yours :)! Avacados are one of my fave foods and I love guacamole so this looks like a great spin off recipe for it! Can’t wait to try it…thanks for sharing another gem!

52 Camille February 25, 2011

Omigosh yum! Dare I say this looks even better than standard guacamole!? :)

53 Picky Nicky February 25, 2011

I LOOOOVE AVOCADOS + I LOOOOOOOOOVE MUSTARD (I think I eat some at least once every day!) So I’m pretty much very excited to get my hands on some avocados so I can make this <3 :)

54 Hannah February 25, 2011

Oh, how funny the avocado recipe was exactly the one I wanted to make first when I downloaded Heidi’s PDF too! I’m so glad it lived up to its potential :)

55 Kath (My Funny Little Life) February 25, 2011

Mmmmmmmmm, I love those little mustard seeds! They’re also great in a curry.

56 Baking 'n' Books February 25, 2011

I tried Ezekiel wraps before – but I find they’re hard as a rock! (I noticed you used it before for a pizza as well?) . Is it supposed to be like that – more like a cracker?

I heard of Heidi’s blog a while ago but haven’t really checked it out. She sounds like one of the original bloggers! Is that her full-time job now I assume? I am so fascinated with people who turn theirs passions into their lives. Yearning…

57 Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 25, 2011

they look like they hold up really well without breaking too- awesome! <3

58 Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 25, 2011

the baked tortilla that is… :)
mmm the avocado mustard combo sounds so delish!

59 Janel February 25, 2011

Hi Angela! Heidi was also one of the first blogs I ever read and I love her. I was SO excited to meet her last month in Portland and she had a copy of her soon-to-be-released cookbook! I got to flip through it and it is a-ma-zing. So is she – such a kind person. P.S. Can’t help but notice how GOOD your photos are looking! You’re taking some gorgeous shots. Love!

60 Red Deception February 26, 2011

It seems as though you can never go wrong with avocado! Delicious!

61 leatitia February 26, 2011

Wow, I just went to Heidi’s website and the teaser is so beautiful and.. tempting! the photography is gorgeous, that’s what I love the most about cook books. They have to inspire me to get to the kitchen with mouth watering photography!

I had no idea that putting the pit back in with the avocado helps preserve it! Thank you for that, I’ll share the tip with the girls!

I want to do my own dip because it looks delicious, but mostly because I want to hear the mustard seeds pop when I’ll cook them. ;-) I’ve never cooked with mustard seeds! Must try!

62 Lauren at Keep It Sweet February 26, 2011

That does sound good! Your avocado has the most perfect hue of green!

63 Alena February 26, 2011

Looks delicious. I’m always looking for ways to incorporate more avocado’s into my life :)

64 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 26, 2011

I love this!!! :)

65 Charlie February 26, 2011

This looks so good! I love chunky dips :).

66 kim Saggio February 27, 2011

Yay! I just made this, eating it as I type. I love it! I’m a “newbie” to the whole foods / less meat movement, but loving the experiences………. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! I also started on the Green Montsters, my 4 year old has been loving them which make me so happy. THANK YOU!