Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

IMG 1394   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I grew up enjoying my mom’s sweet potato casserole for every holiday and it was always a dish I just couldn’t get enough of. There is something magical about comforting and creamy sweet potatoes with an ooey gooey toasted marshmallow topping. When I started eating a vegan diet, I was determined to make a sweet potato casserole that would rock my world just like the one of my youth.

Enter: This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole.

IMG 7122   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

It has been a hit at every holiday dinner I have brought it to. No one can ever believe that it is vegan!

Yesterday morning, I was craving this sweet potato casserole in a major way.

The only snag?

It was 7:15am. I find myself in these situations quite a lot.

I looked at the sweet potato, it looked at me…I looked at it again.

And I turned that craving into breakfast.

IMG 1436   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

This is hands down the BEST spin-off oatmeal I have made yet. If you make one thing this week, you gotta make this.

IMG 1400   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

The first thing you do is lightly cook the sweet potato for just 5 minutes until just fork tender. It cooks much faster if you cut it into 1 inch pieces. I used 2 cups raw sweet potato, which yields 1.5 cups cooked.

IMG 1324   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Now assemble the oatmeal ingredients:

IMG 1311b   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

For my first attempt, I used Bob’s Red Mill Kasha (roasted buckwheat) and I really did not like the texture, so I started over and used regular oats.

IMG 1328   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 1326   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

This is what it made in my first attempt with kasha:

IMG 1348   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I was not a fan of the taste or texture of Kasha in this recipe. wlEmoticon brokenheart   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Back to oats!

IMG 1349   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I brought the milk, oats, and chia seeds to a boil and then reduced the heat and cooked for about 5-6 minutes. The chia seeds help soak up the milk, so if you are omitting the chia seeds you will likely have to reduce the milk.

You want it this consistency:

IMG 1350   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I used organic soy milk and it was a nice change in this oatmeal. Soy milk also pumps up the protein too. I like So Nice brand because it is organic, using non-GMO soybeans.

Now add in the cooked sweet potato and the banana and mash your little heart out with your (sa-weet) potato masher.

IMG 1353   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 1355   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

The banana and sweet potato pair wonderfully in this recipe! I left it a bit chunky because I knew my texture monster would be eating it.

Season: Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and salt.

IMG 1341   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Stir, mash, whatever you please…

IMG 1359   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 1360   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I like to use my Spurtle upside down. It works better that way.

IMG 1363   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Spread into a small 8 inch (4 cup) casserole dish. Any size will do in a pinch though!

IMG 1371   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

This baker dish is from Epicure Selections.

Make the fabulous crunchy pecan topping…this topping brings the recipe to a new level.

IMG 1367b   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Mix together with a fork until very clumpy. The topping tastes so good.

IMG 1369   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Sprinkle onto the oatmeal.

IMG 1378   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Wonderful.

You may be tempted to dig right in at this point…I say go for it if you want to…but if you bake it in the oven it will taste even better. The topping will get all crispy and buttery and the pecans will toast up into a rich nutty flavour.

IMG 1383   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

After baking for 20 minutes at 350F and broiling for 2 minutes on low….golden, crispy magic happens.

IMG 1410   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

This recipe is hands down the best oatmeal I have made to date…which says a lot because I really love my Carrot Cake Oatmeal, Apple Pie Oatmeal, and Pumpkin Pie VOO.

I cut it into 4 servings and proceeded to eat two of them. Naturally.

IMG 1422   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

A great thing about this recipe is that you will have leftovers that taste great cold or heated up! It’s a win-win situation here folks.

IMG 1436 21   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Much like my Carrot Cake Oatmeal, this Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole tasted amazing straight from the fridge cold with a splash of milk.

IMG 1444   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

I better go stock up on more sweet potatoes.

RENO-Cation Updates:

Last night I Tweeted, ‘I think Reno-cation week may be the end of our marriage. lol’

That is all I’m going to say about that. ;)

Here is the dining room BEFORE:

IMG 94703   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 94483   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Yesterday, we shaved off the popcorn ceiling

IMG 9508   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Popcorn is truly evil. Rooms look so much cleaner (and bigger) without it.

To get the popcorn off you soak the ceiling heavily with water (we use 1/2 gallon water bottle sprayer) and shave it off with a drywall knife. Dump excess into a lined garbage pail lid and then finally into a garbage pail.

But first, lay down plastic all over the ground because it makes a HUGE mess.

8   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole IMG 9511   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

It looks so much more white after removing the popcorn! We haven’t even painted a base coat yet. Instant facelift for the room. I told Eric it looks ‘10 years younger’. ;)

7   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

After we did that, we removed all of the wooden frames and then started patching the walls with drywall compound and sanding everything down. This is the worst part by far.

Today, I’m renting a steamer from Home Depot, so I can get off this pesky wallpaper. The old water and soap trick didn’t work one bit.

IMG 9520   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Happy 26 days until SPRING! wlEmoticon hotsmile1   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole wlEmoticon sun2   Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 22, 2011

Mmmm this looks lip smackin’ good! I think I’d love it with the splash of milk… maybe coconut milk! YUM!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin February 22, 2011

This sounds incredible Angela! I love sweet potatoes any time of day. Do you think I could throw this together the night before and just pop it in the oven in the morning!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2011

I haven’t tried that myself but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work! Make sure you use the chia seeds, so it doesn’t get watery overnight. :)

Lisa February 23, 2011

That’s what my sister & I just did. We will cook it in the morning while we have our coffee. Can’t wait it smells so good!

Lisa February 23, 2011

Yep it worked great to prep it the night before. We burned the top of it though. It was fantastic.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 22, 2011

I am making that casserole this weekend. That looks delicious!

Home projects are rough — but think of how beautiful your house will be afterward!

Its funny — when you posted pics of your dining room I thought that was the “after” — I liked the wooden frames (but I didn’t realize that is wallpaper!) — but I thought they were painted on the inside. Oops!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2011

its kind of an optical illusion…haha!

Svetlana February 22, 2011

That is some major renovation you undertook! :)

The recipe looks delicious, I just need a trip to the store for sweet potatoes!! …Angela, is there a major difference between the black and lighter chia seeds??

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2011

I’m not sure if there is a difference nutritionally, but they both work in recipes as I have used both successfully.

Svetlana February 22, 2011

Great, thank you! I was debating on which ones to use :)

Bronwyn February 22, 2011

Hmmm. That looks delicious. Talk about a great way to get your veggies into your breakfast! Yummy. Can’t wait to see the finish product of your reno-cation.

AdrienneCarolyn February 22, 2011

I am extremely excited to make these oats!! Can I leave work now?? This is really going to hit the spot tomorrow because it’s COLD (in Toronto) today…Boo….but yay for almost SPRING!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2011

i know its freezing eh?? ahhh

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 22, 2011

I absolutely love this recipe! I gave my Aunt your This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole recipe to bring over for Christmas dinner and it was incredible! She liked the recipe so much, she told me she’s made it 4 times since. I still have a bit in the freezer that I’m slowly enjoying.

If this breakfast is inspired by that amazing casserole… it’s got to be FANTASTIC! I can’t wait to try it.

Jenn from Much to My Delight February 22, 2011

The word “casserole” usually strikes fear in me (and my thighs), but this sounds decadent while allowing me to maintain my current pants size. Home run!

lauren @ spiced plate February 22, 2011

wow! what an awesome casserole! i’m loving sweet potatoes now — i just used them in a cream of brocolli soup and in a red lentil hummus — they’re my favorite food of the week, i think. :)

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner February 22, 2011

Haha, I know what you mean bout Reno-week being the end of your marriage. Any sort of project like that (including assembling anything) brings out the crabby in me.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) February 22, 2011

This casserole makes me miss Thanksgiving! I’m glad we’ve got spring and summer before T-Day comes back around.

Jackie @ Baking Charms February 22, 2011

Love that this recipe can double as “cereal” :) I always do that with my granola, too, and it is delicious!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 22, 2011

That was my favorite childhood dish as well!! I am so glad you veganified it- now I get to have it this Thanksgiving!:)

Lindsay February 22, 2011

That casserolelooks amazing!! Have a couple sweet potatoes at home just begging for a new recipe! Looks like this weekend it is! :)

Good luck with the renos!

Allison @ Food For Healing February 22, 2011

i got full just looking at those pictures! i’m thinking about gradually making a switch to vegan, at least 95% to start. i like seeing all your different recipes, it gives me ideas.. vegan ideas!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 22, 2011

Awesome idea! Lucky me – I just bough sweet potatoes. :) That carrot cake oatmeal was epic. Mmmmm…

Good luck with that dining room. I shudder to think about removing wallpaper. It’s going to look awesome when it is done though!

Shanna February 22, 2011

It’s the topping that really makes these dishes sing! Whether marshmallows or pecans, bring it!

Kathryn February 22, 2011

I had the best experience with Kasha the other day – I just ate it as a cold cereal with lots of topings and some agave on top. I actually mixed it with some sprouted buckwheat I sprouted myself togther with the kasha it was awesome.

Happy Tuesday!

Heather @ All Sizzle No Steak February 22, 2011

I am making that oatmeal tonight!

I agree on the popcorn ceiling. Super dated. My BF and I are renovationg our 65yo house and sometimes it’s overwhelming. That tweet made total sense to me :).

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 22, 2011

I like the renovation progress, but I LOVE the looks of that oatmeal!!! Sweet potatos aren’t normally something I’d stir in (more of a pumpkin, carrot, or apple gal here!) but this sounds so good I think I’ll need to try it! :)

Ashley February 22, 2011

I like ground buckwheat [flour] much more than the whole groat when I make the bakes. It’s definitely a bit of a funny texture if you leave it all whole. However, if you add about 1T whole groats to overnight oats [letting them "cook" overnight] or as a topping or in granola, the crunch is fabulous! :)

brie February 22, 2011

so that’s how you get popcorn off of the ceiling! my man friend has popcorn walls and it drives me nuts – i sense a renovation project in the future ;) there wasn’t any damage to the drywall underneath?

also, sweet potatoes = yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2011

It doesn’t ‘damage’ the drywall, but there will be cracks and bumps to smooth out and sand with compound. :)

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 22, 2011

Oh wow – this looks incredible!!!

Ashley February 22, 2011

This recipe looks like it’s better suited for oats though and it looks amaaaaazing!! Yaaaay for no more popcorn!!

kate@ahealthypassion February 22, 2011

wow that looks amazing I love the idea of sweet potatoes for breakfast. Love the idea of eating it cold with milk too I love cold apple cobblers with milk so I have a feeling I might love this! Good luck with your renocation it will all pay off when you’re finished :)

Maija Haavisto February 22, 2011

Sounds very yummy and healthy. Sadly I think it’s too carby for me to actually have for breakfast, but I could probably enjoy it some other time of the day.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe February 22, 2011

Yum! I love sweet potato casserole so I’m sure this is awesome. Nice job on your reno, it’s really coming along.

Lisa @ Healthy Diaries February 22, 2011

This looks just lovely! You amaze me with the recipes you come up with! I look forward to each and every one of them!
Just thought I’d let you know! :)

Sarah @ veggie-kids.blogspot.com/ February 22, 2011

Looks good!!! I’d love to make that dish. And you are brave with the reno!!

Lauren @ Hungry Child in the City February 22, 2011

This looks so good! I love anything with sweet potatoes. They are my weakness. I am definitely going to test it out! Thanks!

Casey February 22, 2011

Wow, this breakfast looks AHmazing! My mouth is watering. Saving recipe!

Michelle February 22, 2011

This looks fabulous! And I have all those ingredients in my kitchen, so I’m totally ready to tackle this one!

Alyssa - fashion fitness foodie February 22, 2011

This looks absolutely amazing and it’s a nice change from regular oatmeal.
House rennovating is so rough but so worth it in the end! Can’t wait to see everything in the end :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet February 22, 2011

I love the combo of banana and sweet potato, always great to have a new delicious and healthy breakfast option!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious February 22, 2011

Oh my, oh my—I love sweet potato casserole. My parents moved to Kentucky USA when I was 18 and that was my first ever experience with it – now we have it for every family holiday dinner and it wouldn’t be the same without it!! Sweet potato casserole for breakfast – I think it would be great for lunch & dinner as well. I cannot wait to try out this recipe…in fact it might be our dinner tonight.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite February 22, 2011

I love baked oats! And sweet potatoes. Looks like the perfect combo!

Moni'sMeals February 22, 2011

I think I could eat this every single morning. I am on a huge sweet potato kick right now. I love this recipe!

Looking good on renos. :)

Heather (heathers dish) February 22, 2011

Angela you just won my stomach over…I adore sweet potato casserole!!!

Becca February 22, 2011

I love your blog so much: the occasional self-love topics, the perfect recipes, the stunning photography, and the comedy (your writing is so witty!).

AGS February 22, 2011

It’s interesting about the sweet potato casserole — I alwasy HATED the marshmallow topping. From the time I was a little kid, all I wanted was the sweet potato baked in its jacket with a little salt (maybe butter). The other thanksgiving, we whipped the sweet potato with cayenee and coconut milk. I thought it was still too sweet — but it was great for breakfast the next few mornings.

Also, your comment about people not believing something is vegan suddenly struck me as odd. I happen to find eating a vegan meal about once a day to be pretty easy — certainly adding a vegan dish to a meal is easy, and normal. I think back to the hearty black bean soup my mom used to make sprinkled with cilantro and orange wedges, or my dad’s favorite snack of PB on apples. Or my favorite simple tomato sandwich meal in the summer with nothing more than salt, olive oil, and basil. Or my husband’s recent love of spicey homemade hummus, gauc, and salsa. I mean, really — incorporating vegan eating is fairly easy. . .

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2011

Yes it is, but not many people I have come across realize this. many people I have talked to think vegan = weird or strange.

Page 1 of 512345»