Sweet Potato Oatmeal Breakfast Casserole

IMG_1394

I grew up enjoying my mom’s sweet potato casserole for every holiday and it was always a dish I just couldn’t get enough of. There is something magical about comforting and creamy sweet potatoes with an ooey gooey toasted marshmallow topping. When I started eating a vegan diet, I was determined to make a sweet potato casserole that would rock my world just like the one of my youth.

Enter: This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole.

IMG_7122

It has been a hit at every holiday dinner I have brought it to. No one can ever believe that it is vegan!

Yesterday morning, I was craving this sweet potato casserole in a major way.

The only snag?

It was 7:15am. I find myself in these situations quite a lot.

I looked at the sweet potato, it looked at me…I looked at it again.

And I turned that craving into breakfast.

IMG_1436

This is hands down the BEST spin-off oatmeal I have made yet. If you make one thing this week, you gotta make this.

IMG_1400

The first thing you do is lightly cook the sweet potato for just 5 minutes until just fork tender. It cooks much faster if you cut it into 1 inch pieces. I used 2 cups raw sweet potato, which yields 1.5 cups cooked.

IMG_1324

Now assemble the oatmeal ingredients:

IMG_1311b

For my first attempt, I used Bob’s Red Mill Kasha (roasted buckwheat) and I really did not like the texture, so I started over and used regular oats.

IMG_1328 IMG_1326

This is what it made in my first attempt with kasha:

IMG_1348

I was not a fan of the taste or texture of Kasha in this recipe. Broken heart

Back to oats!

IMG_1349

I brought the milk, oats, and chia seeds to a boil and then reduced the heat and cooked for about 5-6 minutes. The chia seeds help soak up the milk, so if you are omitting the chia seeds you will likely have to reduce the milk.

You want it this consistency:

IMG_1350

I used organic soy milk and it was a nice change in this oatmeal. Soy milk also pumps up the protein too. I like So Nice brand because it is organic, using non-GMO soybeans.

Now add in the cooked sweet potato and the banana and mash your little heart out with your (sa-weet) potato masher.

IMG_1353 IMG_1355

The banana and sweet potato pair wonderfully in this recipe! I left it a bit chunky because I knew my texture monster would be eating it.

Season: Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and salt.

IMG_1341

Stir, mash, whatever you please…

IMG_1359 IMG_1360

I like to use my Spurtle upside down. It works better that way.

IMG_1363

Spread into a small 8 inch (4 cup) casserole dish. Any size will do in a pinch though!

IMG_1371

This baker dish is from Epicure Selections.

Make the fabulous crunchy pecan topping…this topping brings the recipe to a new level.

IMG_1367b

Mix together with a fork until very clumpy. The topping tastes so good.

IMG_1369

Sprinkle onto the oatmeal.

IMG_1378

Wonderful.

You may be tempted to dig right in at this point…I say go for it if you want to…but if you bake it in the oven it will taste even better. The topping will get all crispy and buttery and the pecans will toast up into a rich nutty flavour.

IMG_1383

After baking for 20 minutes at 350F and broiling for 2 minutes on low….golden, crispy magic happens.

IMG_1410

This recipe is hands down the best oatmeal I have made to date…which says a lot because I really love my Carrot Cake Oatmeal, Apple Pie Oatmeal, and Pumpkin Pie VOO.

I cut it into 4 servings and proceeded to eat two of them. Naturally.

IMG_1422

A great thing about this recipe is that you will have leftovers that taste great cold or heated up! It’s a win-win situation here folks.

IMG_1436-2

Much like my Carrot Cake Oatmeal, this Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole tasted amazing straight from the fridge cold with a splash of milk.

IMG_1444

I better go stock up on more sweet potatoes.

RENO-Cation Updates:

Last night I Tweeted, ‘I think Reno-cation week may be the end of our marriage. lol’

That is all I’m going to say about that. ;)

Here is the dining room BEFORE:

IMG_9470 IMG_9448

Yesterday, we shaved off the popcorn ceiling

IMG_9508

Popcorn is truly evil. Rooms look so much cleaner (and bigger) without it.

To get the popcorn off you soak the ceiling heavily with water (we use 1/2 gallon water bottle sprayer) and shave it off with a drywall knife. Dump excess into a lined garbage pail lid and then finally into a garbage pail.

But first, lay down plastic all over the ground because it makes a HUGE mess.

8 IMG_9511

It looks so much more white after removing the popcorn! We haven’t even painted a base coat yet. Instant facelift for the room. I told Eric it looks ‘10 years younger’. ;)

After we did that, we removed all of the wooden frames and then started patching the walls with drywall compound and sanding everything down. This is the worst part by far.

Today, I’m renting a steamer from Home Depot, so I can get off this pesky wallpaper. The old water and soap trick didn’t work one bit.

IMG_9520

Happy 26 days until SPRING! Hot smile Sun

Page 5 of 5«12345
Rebecca February 3, 2017

Wow! Needed a change for breakfast and this hit the spot…made it with the help of my two kids-they loved it! Gobbled it between the 3 of us and will make it again when hubby is here to enjoy.

Didn’t have sweet potatoes on hand but used butternut squash.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for inspiring me to keep things simple and healthy and to maintain variety in a busy life-this is a staple site for me …much love

Angela Liddon February 3, 2017

Thanks so much for the warm words, Rebecca! You’ve definitely brightened my morning! :)

Sara September 26, 2016

yum!! this looks delicious.. I think I will make it for a brunch I am arranging. Any suggestions of what it would pair well with?

THanks!

Dana Friedmann June 28, 2016

What would you recommend if I need to omit the pecans because of a nut allergy?

Mary March 12, 2016

I made this as one of two main dishes for a baby shower brunch (the other was shrimp and grits) and it was a HUGE hit! There were 20 guests, and I doubled the recipe – there was not one morsel left.

Angela Liddon March 17, 2016

Hi Mary, I’m so happy to hear the breakfast casserole was such a success! Thanks for taking the time to let me know. :)

Alyssa February 28, 2016

Made this for breakfast this morning (minus the crumble topping) and it was absolutely delicious. Topped it with some crushed walnuts, and packed up the rest for the next few days breakfasts.

Baked oatmeals are a new favorite, and I think they will be a Sunday staple for me. It`s like dessert for breakfast – but healthy :)

Anne-Sophie December 20, 2015

Oh Angela i’m OBSESSED with your reciepes! I am going to make all my Christmas meals with yours’ :D. I wanted to make this one for my family’s Christmas breakfast but i wanted to know if I could do it with apples, since not all of them are as much of a fan of sweet potatoes? And if yes, could I prep it the night before? Thanks!

Lisa November 1, 2015

Being productive and prepping for the week ahead (naturally pulling some recipes from your site), I just made this for tomorrow’s breakfast. It smelled AWW-MAZING!
I pulled it out and there was just no way I couldn’t have some right away. I’m debating the merits about eating it all at once as I write this…oh boy…..heaven on a autumn Sunday evening.
Honestly, I really can’t thank you enough for all of your recipes. As gluten free and vegan for almost a year now, it certainly has it’s challenges (the rest of my family eats “normally.”) With recipes like this I find it hard to see what I am missing!!!

Brittany August 25, 2015

So I’m prepping freezer meals (due with my 5th kiddo soon), and I am wondering your oppinion on freezing this. I tried to read through some comments, but didn’t see anything. My question… should I bake it before freezing, or just layer it in the casserole dish, freeze, and then bake it once it is thawed? What do you think?!

Vienna July 15, 2015

I made this this morning, and it’s seriously THE BEST THING I’VE EVER EATEN IN MY WHOLE LIFE. Sorry for the strong statement, but it’s true. Thanks Angela for the amazing recipe! You are truly an angel (like your name). Everything went so well together, and I can still taste the buttery flavor of the pecans in my mouth now. And it’s super healthy!!! I can see myself making this very often in the future.

Jennifer June 22, 2015

AWESOME I made this yesterday.. I didnt add any sugar so it was less sweet than I’m sure it could have been but trying to lose some weight and even without it WAS amazing! I ate the whole thing

YUUMMO

Mb February 1, 2015

Another hit and easy to make. I love making a warm breakfast on the weekend and the whole house smells great. I used walnuts instead of pecans, still delish!

Lily January 11, 2015

Hi! I love your recipe, and I featured it in my blog post. Thank you!! – Lily

Christine December 16, 2014

I made this last night, and ate for breakfast this morning. It was delicious and I have no complaints. Usually I prefer my breakfast fruity, but I didn’t miss it in this casserole. The only thing I did differently was use walnuts in place of pecans. Next time I might add dates or raisins. Yum!

Ana Aires December 4, 2014

Lovely recipe! I love sweet – sweet potatoes and bananas :))
I’ve made this for my diner tonight and already tasted it… really good :)
However I’m not big fan of oatmeal. Do you think I can replace it (rolled oats) by millet?

Thanks a lot for wonderful recipe!

Regards

Ana

Magdelyn November 13, 2014

Just made this last night and it is heavenly delicious!!!!
I can eat this all day long! YUM!!!

Fanny September 15, 2014

I am so excited. Yesterday I made a vegan sweet potato smoothie and stupidly added flax. The gritty taste is aweful. So I incorporated it into this bake. In the oven now! Woohoo!

Cal September 14, 2014

I have been making this for a while now and I used to follow your recipe exactly. I’ve started adding the zest of one orange to the oatmeal/sweet potato mixture, along with 1/4 tsp Chinese five spice, and two or three tablespoons of coconut to the topping and I love the new depth of flavor that it adds. Sometimes I use half coconut milk and half soy along with a tbs of protein powder for an more coconutty flavor. Thanks for this!