Homemade Wheat Thins

IMG 1161   Homemade Wheat Thins

We are having some unusual warm weather this week and it is giving me Spring Fever like crazy! The snow is melting, our moods are lifted, and I think I should be able to run outside this afternoon once the ice melts. I can’t wait. :)

Now, if only the sun would come out…wlEmoticon sun   Homemade Wheat Thins

Before I get to today’s recipe, I want to tell you about a Breakfast Program for kids called Toonies for Tummies. Toonies for Tummies helps fight child hunger in schools by providing breakfast every morning before hungry children head off to class. The money raised helps as many as 75,000 children across Canada.

It is estimated that as many as 1 in 5 children go hungry every day in the neediest communities across Canada.

You can donate $2 at your participating grocery store or you can donate online here. I think it is a great program and it is such an easy way to make a difference in the lives of children who really need it.

IMG 1146   Homemade Wheat Thins

Growing up, Wheat Thins used to be one of my favourite ‘boxed’ crackers to buy at the grocery store. When I heard that I could make them at home for much less money and without any strange preservatives I was very excited. I made a half batch because I wasn’t sure if I would like them or not, but I really wished that I made a full batch, so I posted the full batch recipe below.

IMG 1153   Homemade Wheat Thins

It is amazing how GOOD these crackers are with just a few basic ingredients!

IMG 1138b   Homemade Wheat Thins

I love recipes that exceed my expectations.

All you do is whisk the dry ingredients, cut in the Earth Balance or butter, add water + stir, and then roll out the dough + slice.

IMG 1142   Homemade Wheat Thins IMG 1144   Homemade Wheat Thins

Do not be afraid of rolling out the dough either. It was very user-friendly! And it doesn’t have to be perfect, so not to worry. I went for the rustic look. ;)

I made traditional rectangles (with rustic edges!), but you can make any shape you want! Triangles might be fun, especially if you used them in dips like guacamole or salsa. A wheat thin tortilla, perhaps?

IMG 1147   Homemade Wheat Thins

Sprinkle with kosher salt before baking. This step is key!  Place on the baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes at 400F. I rotated the baking sheet half way through baking.

IMG 1150   Homemade Wheat Thins

IMG 1151   Homemade Wheat Thins

In just over 30 minutes, I had delicious homemade crackers.

Allow to cool if you have the restraint.

IMG 1154   Homemade Wheat Thins

I did not.  The crackers sizzled on my tongue. ;)

These vegan wheat thins taste a lot like the boxed version, but we think they taste even better!

IMG 1157   Homemade Wheat Thins

Eric and I both agreed that they are our favourite homemade crackers to date. You just can’t beat how short the ingredient list is and how easy they are to throw together.

IMG 1159   Homemade Wheat Thins

Try them spread with:

IMG 1160   Homemade Wheat Thins

Growing up, what were your favourite boxed crackers? What are your favourite crackers today?

I think my all-time favourite boxed crackers were the Swiss Cheese Crackers (lol), followed by Sour Cream & Chives and Wheat Thins.

Oh and I LOVED Ritz Cheese Bits!

(But, after looking at the ingredient label, I think I will try to make my own version at home!)

Svetlana February 17, 2011

Wow these look great! I could never find a good home made cracker recipe!!! I usually stay away from wheat thins because they are packaged and surely not organic! Thank you :)

Richelle February 17, 2011

I’d have to say my favourite crackers growing up were triscuits and wheat thins. Now I like Mary’s organic crackers and Kashi crackers, but they are expensive. Thanks for the recipe, I will have to try them.

Lauren at KeepItSweet February 17, 2011

I love wheat thins! I used to eat them with tuna fish all the time:-) I need to try this recipe!!

So nice that you posted about the breakfast program.

Carly February 17, 2011

I can’t wait to make these!
Growing up I loved the swiss cheese crackers as well! Same with the ritz and cheese sandwich crackers.

Tracey February 17, 2011

Your crackers are gorgeous! I totally agree with you – short ingredient list and easy recipe = win :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 17, 2011

Awesome. Thanks for sharing

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 17, 2011

I LOVED the Ritz Cheese sandwiches! Wheat Thins were definitely a pantry staple when I was younger too, but now my faves are Triscuits (now there’s a baking challenge for you!!!) Great info about the breakfast program, I think it’s such a great cause.

Andrea February 17, 2011

Making crackers has always intimidated me for some reason, but now I might have to give it a try! I used to (and still do) love wheat thins and Ritz. I’m also really loving Triscuits with rosemary and olive oil these days.. mmm!

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 17, 2011

I loooove wheat thins but haven’t had them in ages! What a fantastic idea to make homemade crackers!

Ali @ Ali on the Run February 17, 2011

Wow, I can’t believe how easy this recipe looks! This is something I might actually be able to pull off! I love Wheat Thins but stopped eating them recently when the ingredient list freaked me out. Love this option — thanks for sharing!

Deborah February 17, 2011

These look great. I love wheat thins although nowadays I tend to stick with Mary’s organic rice crackers. I’ll definitely give this recipe a try, so thanks for sharing :-)
So glad to see you mentioned the hunger problem in our communities. I started volunteering at a local food bank in November and what I see there would break your heart. The thing that upset me the most this week was to see that the donations have pretty much stopped now that the Christmas food drive is over. I talked with others who have worked there for years and heard that other than a slight increase during Easter, donations will pretty much stop until Thanksgiving. This means we’ll run out of food to give out to clients in the meantime. So thank you for bringing this hunger issue to light. Maybe some of your readers will even consider dropping off a few non-perishables at their local food banks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 17, 2011

That is a really great point about the food banks. One of my goals this year is to donate more frequently. Thanks for the great reminder :)

Shanna, like Banana February 17, 2011

I remember really liking these Chicken in a Biscuit crackers..having them now would probably make me want to yack ;-P haha

I’m partial to a good Wheat Thin or Triscuit because I think Nilla wafers don’t count as crackers!

kathleen February 17, 2011

I love making my own crackers! I am excited to try this wheat thin version. Normally, I just use flour, butter, salt, and a homemade vegetable puree (sweet potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, onions, carrots, celery) in place of the water to make veggie crackers. Can’t wait to try these!

Sharon February 17, 2011

Mmmm! I love crackers and wheat thins are one of my favs. I try not to eat crackers though because usually once I start I can’t stop and those calories add up FAST. Eating a whole box of crackers is not exactly my idea of a healthy meal ;)

Kelly February 17, 2011

I loved Triscuits and Captains Wafers. :)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life February 17, 2011

wow–those look amazing! and very authentic.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 17, 2011

Oh my goodness, wheat thins are like CRACK for me!! I’m glad to have this healthified recipe!

Andrea February 17, 2011

As a kid, I loved the Ritz cheese sandwich crackers. I had some recently, on a nostalgic whim, and trust me, they are nowhere near the same as I remember them – ick! I’m proud to say that I think my tastes have matured a bit. But now, I love Wheat Thins (so I’m really excited to try this recipe), and Vegetable Thins.

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl February 17, 2011

Triscuits and Wheat Thins always topped my list growing up :)

Ashley @ Taste for Healthy February 17, 2011

Ditto!! :)

Alaina February 17, 2011

I loved Wheat Thins! And Ritz crackers. But now I’m into Triscuits.

Is paprika integral or can another spice be substituted? :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 17, 2011

I wouldn’t say it is integral by any means, but I do think it makes the flavours pop a bit. I’m sure you can play around with it!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 17, 2011

We loved Triscuits! But we didn’t eat too many crackers. I really loved saltines too.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 17, 2011

Toonies for Tummies is a great program. It breaks my heart that children in this country go hungry and if all it takes is a couple of dollars I am more than happy to help!

Heather February 17, 2011

This recipe looks amazing! I loved wheat thins growing up and my boys love them now. I buy very few boxed crackers and the ones I buy they won’t eat so I am definetely making these and I know they will love them.

Did you use whole wheat pastry flour or just whole wheat flour?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 17, 2011

100% whole wheat flour :)

Albizia February 17, 2011

I love most kinds of crackers. Even when they don’t taste very good, they are crunchy which is absolutely enough for me. I’m easy to please :) . These wheat thins look very good and the recipe is simple enough for me so I will definitely give them a try.

Bridget February 17, 2011

Those sour cream and chive crackers were my friggin’ favourite! I remember licking all the flavouring off first, and then eating the cracker haha :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 17, 2011

haha me too! Soul sistaaaas ;)

Nikki T February 17, 2011

My favorite were and still are Wheat Thins!
So…I think I will need to try out this recipe!!

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 17, 2011

LOVE Wheat Thins but I never eat them because of the ingredients list. I’m so glad that you posted this! I will be making them ASAP!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 17, 2011

WOw, that’s so simple!! I love Wheat Thins but I actually banned myself from buying them because I literally will eat the entire box in one sitting!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 17, 2011

Nowadays I really only eat crackers with soup if I am sick. I don’t buy many from the store!

When I was younger I loved Club crackers — they were so salty and so delicious! And cheeze-its were always in our house, so I ate my fair share of those too!

Heather (heathers dish) February 17, 2011

I love wheat thins…and I love that now I can make my own! Yum!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 17, 2011

I have to figure out how to make these gluten free.

Wheat thins were one of my ultimate favorites. They were so salty and delicious. When I was going through my many growth spurts I could easily polish off a box a day. Yum! Great recipe, and thanks for sharing Toonies for tummies with us, sounds like a fantastic program!

Randi April 28, 2013

Please share how you made em gf :)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman February 17, 2011

They look so similar to the real thing! I loved Wheat Thins growing up. The only cracker that beat them was Saltines and only when I was sick.

Paije February 17, 2011

Ahhh as always, you have completely made my life. I am such a cracker addict but reaally dislike the long ingredient lists! I have been wanting to make my own and now I can! Weeeeee!! Thanks again for like the millionth awesome recipe :D Oh and PLEASE make the Ritz Cheese Bites! They used to be my fave!

Kate February 17, 2011

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post!
Similar to you, I used to love eating Wheat Thins in college but gave them up when I found out they weren’t as “healthy” as I thought they were. I’m going to have to try this!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 17, 2011

i loved wheat thins! these look so easy to make.. definitely will use this recipe when i want to make my own!

Camille February 17, 2011

These look awesome!
Unfortunately I’m not allowed to make homemade crackers anymore since the last debacle involving my eating the entire batch and getting sick :)

Krystina (Organically Me) February 17, 2011

These look great! The combination of vanilla and paprka is interesting.

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious February 17, 2011

Wheat thins and triscuits were always my favourite crackers! I cannot wait to try this recipe. I can’t believe the short ingredient list – I’ve never made crackers before, but I will definitely start if they are all this easy!!

I think these crackers will be especially delicious with your totally awesome hummus recipe. I go through a batch of that every week and I am always looking for something new to have it with! Triangle crackers would be great dippers!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 17, 2011

These look so good Angela! I always loved Ritz… Mmmm the buttery deliciousness calls for me, hehe

Liz @ IHeartVegetables February 17, 2011

Oh my gosh wheat thins are my FAVORITE cracker ever!!! I’m so making these when I get home. I’ll probably only make half a batch though… because I’ll probably eat them all at once ;)

Page 1 of 512345»