Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten-Free + Vegan)

Someone is having a very good Friday…and I hope you are too!

IMG 0838 3   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

Eric and I leave bird food out every couple weeks and the squirrels always steal it and have a feast! It is so fun watching them hide their food in random spots all over the backyard. They always check behind their back before they bury it. ;)

…Little do they know a creeper (me) is watching through the window!

IMG 0838 2   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

I always wonder if they even remember half of their hiding places…

We were finally able to get a technician in to fix our broken furnace late last night. We had a nice warm sleep and I can feel my fingers and toes once again.The price tag was not so nice though!

In other news…I made some awesome chocolate cookies…

IMG 0856   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

COOKIE FAIL.

Murphy’s Law: When you have high hopes for a chocolate cookie recipe, it will be a huge bust!

IMG 0856 2   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

As these were melting like lava in the oven, I was happily cleaning up and putting all the dishes and ingredients away. When I opened the oven door, I had a few choice words for these cookies!

If the walls in my kitchen could talk, it would be a bit like a Jerry Springer show, I’m afraid.

So what went wrong? I made some homemade vegan white chocolate because I thought it would be fun to use it in this cookie recipe. Well, apparently my homemade white chocolate turns into complete liquid when baked! It spilled out of the cookie dough and created the mess that you see above.

IMG 0836b   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

Take 2 was pretty successful though (sans white chocolate!).

IMG 0868   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

IMG 0829b   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

Assemble the dry and wet ingredients. Note: this recipe is gluten-free and vegan! :)

IMG 0833b   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

Mix your flax egg and set aside so it can gel up.

IMG 0840   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

Whisk dry ingredients and wet ingredients.

IMG 0845   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan) IMG 0843   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

Mix!

IMG 0846   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan) IMG 0848   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

Fold in the chips and optional nuts.

IMG 0849   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

[Awesome tasting cookie dough!]

Place small spoonfuls on baking sheet about 2 inches apart. I flattened the balls with a wet spoon, but I wouldn’t recommend this as they spread out too flat. I would just leave them as balls and this will probably yield a thicker cookie. One of our complaints was that the cookies were too flat.

Bake for 14-15 minutes at 375F.

IMG 0862   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

I’m not sure what to think about these cookies. I remember them tasting much better than they do. I think that might be because they are better tasting the second day, so I will have to try them tomorrow to form my final opinion. Eric and I both agreed that they are too flat, but you might be able to make a thicker cookie if you don’t flatten the dough with a spoon like I did.

IMG 0863   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

They are good, don’t get me wrong, but they didn’t blow me away like I remembered! If you try them out, let me know what you think of them. :)

(See my updates in the recipe!)

IMG 08681   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

I’m also in charge of birthday cupcakes for THREE birthday celebrations this weekend…it’s a bit crazy in my kitchen right now. wlEmoticon birthdaycake   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

IMG 0883   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

Dish Fairy…are you out there? wlEmoticon angel   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

Here are the rest of my Valentine’s Day recipes below…enjoy!

IMG 0068bbb   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan) IMG 9798ss   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)IMG 0200 dd3   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan) IMG 6393clickhere   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)IMG 99990375   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan) IMG 079610   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan) IMG 0946b5   Flourless Chocolate Cookies (Gluten Free + Vegan)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 11, 2011

The cookies look fantastic! I’ll be interested to try them. Maybe using a combo of ground/chopped nuts would have helped to thicken?

The cupcakes though. Whoa. I would be willing to jump over my own mother for a taste.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2011

ground almonds might be wonderful! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 11, 2011

Girl you should keep making flourless/gf recipes! It makes it so much more enjoyable, since I have been gluten free for six months now. Thank you for the stellar recipe, I can’t wait to test it out!:)

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) February 11, 2011

Dishes are definitely the worst part about baking!

Meghanne February 11, 2011

Have you ever experimented with coconut flour? It makes some AMAZING GF/flourless treats. It’s hard to make vegan because it seems to be partial to using egg as a binder but I’ve been using chia with some success :) Almond flour also can help things ‘stick’ together. These cookies look awesome. PS. I’m currently also in love with mini cupcakes! Yours look fab.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2011

Ive tried coconut flour about half a dozen times in some vegan recipes and it never works. Ive almost given up!! ahhhh. I hope to one day have success :)

Lori February 11, 2011

That squirrel is super cute. :). And the cookies look great. Great recipe.

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel February 11, 2011

Angela, flourless cookies are a wonderful idea! and i think nut flour would be highly appreciated by mr. squirrel! especially since its chocolate :D

ps. i creep on squirrels all the time hehe

Sharon February 11, 2011

Is it weird that I think the cookie fail looks delicious? I don’t care that they all went together – it looks like gooey cookies. The best mix of cookie batter and a completely cooked cookie… Mmm!

Kim (A Bowl of Fruit) February 11, 2011

Mmm this look delicious – and just in time for Valentine’s Day! I am also going to have to get that fancy mat that you used to bake the cookies with – it makes the process look cleaner.

Gen February 11, 2011

Yummy!!! Great recipe, thanks! =D

Crystal February 11, 2011

Squirrels don’t always remember where they bury their nuts! This is super important because then the seeds/nuts grow into new plants. :)

I had a moment of baking happiness today. I was watching some videos on youtube and I came across a video about making a sponge cake. The link is here if you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmLkPBut8nI
(It is cute, there is a Japanese woman cooking and a poodle next to her that is suppose to be narrating… but he’s French spoken by someone with an obvious Japanese accent, hehe)

So when I made my pound cake today in preparation for Valentine’s Day Trifle, I did it a bit differently in the motions of my stirring, folding, etc. It turned out really well! So I feel like I am learning. :)

It takes time. You have made so many delicious recipes anyways! Did you already throw away the cookie fail? I would have broken it up and sprinkled it on ice cream or something, yum!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 11, 2011

That squirrel is adorable!

I love how those cookies look almost light and crispy — any suggestions on what I could use in place of coconut? I can’t stand the taste or texture…

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2011

Hmmm…not sure. Oats maybe? Flour? lol. You could make ‘flour chocolate cookies’ haha

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2011

Someone else mentioned ground nuts actually. What about ground almonds?

Amber K February 12, 2011

OOh great idea! Glad I kept looking through the comments :)

Fanta February 11, 2011

These cookies I must make! I bet the squirrel could smell the baking coming from your home :)

Moni'sMeals February 11, 2011

I plan on still trying them…I hate that though when you think something is so darn tasty once, then you make it again, and it is just so-so. That happens to me a lot. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2011

That happens to me with a lot of things…I think we build things up in our minds? I’m still hoping for the second day theory! I will be sure to update the post with my final verdict. :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 11, 2011

Chocolate + coconut is my favorite combination! I love flourless cookies–these look amazing. I actually like that they are flat. It makes them interesting. :-)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 11, 2011

I can’t believe how great of a picture you got of that squirrel! It is cute, even though I really don’t like them. I stand by Carrie Bradshaw’s description of them: a rat with a fluffy tail. Ha!
Your cookies look delish!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2011

haha oh Carrie Bradshaw. I used to be indifferent to squirrels, but now that I stalk them through my window, I realized how cute they are! They basically spend all day burying nuts and seeds in random spots. I always feel bad for them freezing cold though :(

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 11, 2011

These are so creative! I love them – and I love anything that’s gluten free to begin with!

Emilee Joy February 11, 2011

I have that same Silpat! My brother got it for me for Christmas a couple years ago and I love it. The cookies slide off so easily and I don’t waste parchment paper.

Those cookies sound yummy, but I’m with you–I like puffier cookies. My dad likes flat, crispy ones though, so if I made them, I’d probably squash a few just for him. :)

Michelle February 11, 2011

I got so excited when I saw this title. I love flat cookies and I love chocolate. :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 11, 2011

Well despite the initial cookie fail, I’m sure there was some tasty cleaning-up action to be had! The squirrel photo is so cute.. and I NEVER say that about squirrels!

Katie February 11, 2011

IF you find that cookie fairy, let me know. :)

Bronwyn February 11, 2011

Those cupcakes look fantastic! So do the cookies… but seriously… cupcakes…..

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 11, 2011

3 bday parties this weekend?! Wow, sugar overload. Sign me up, any day :)

The cookies…amazing, Angela! It can be so hard to bake vegan, or GF, but combining vegan AND gf baking and many times there are tons of issues….your first cookies..they look amazing as maybe crumble toppings for ice cream or in smoothies. I hope you saved them!

The 2nd batch…perfection!

Better the 2nd day? you mean you have cookies that last that long? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2011

I put the first batch in the freezer of course…lol. I figure it will be awesome in banana soft serve? ;)

Ashley February 11, 2011

These look amazing! I am going to make them tonight– because I have all the ingredients on hand, and what better time to make them than the weekend before Valentine’s Day! It’s what I needed for my Friday, thank you:) Have a great weekend!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 11, 2011

These look so good!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) February 11, 2011

That squirrel is so cute! I would happily do you dishes if I got to taste test your baked goods :)

Mimi February 11, 2011

I totally understand that this sounds weird, but black squirrels are my second favorite animals! Growing up, I used to think there was only one who followed us. His name was “Blacky.”

Beth February 11, 2011

Sometimes modified baking makes for an interesting result, but not always pretty.
The 2nd batch, sans white chocolate, look great. Maybe I will try them on Valentine’s day.

Glad your furnace is up & running again. Critical during our Canadian winters. Brrrr!

Kasey @ thisbodyismyhome February 11, 2011

I give you credit for acknowledging your baking flops! I may be known to toss anything that isn’t pretty in the trash… or directly into my mouth to hide the evidence :)

Ps. I can’t tell exactly by the pictures, but the squirrels in Kingston are MASSIVE… like cats almost. And they sit on my ledge and creep me! So you’re just exacting revenge on the squirrels for all humans ;)

Julie @ Shining From Within February 11, 2011

aw, what a bummer! they still look delicious regardless! those cupcakes look especially enduring… mmmmmm :)

Emma February 11, 2011

ANGELA! I took my sister to see Justin Bieber’s movie today, and guess what????? He drinks a green monster!!!! he calls it “dinosaur pee” though and he doesn’t quite like it. Usher makes him drink it when he has a sore throat. But I had to tell you!!! Also, he’s Canadian (i had no idea!)

Richelle February 11, 2011

I bet these still taste great. I mean for one they’re chocolate and two the rest of the ingredients look good too!

hippierunner February 11, 2011

I would love to make these but I’m not too keen on coconut. Going to try the suggestion of nuts instead!

Lauren at KeepItSweet February 11, 2011

Your cupcakes are adorable!!! Have a great weekend:-)

Ashley February 11, 2011

Those cupcakes are soooo adorable. I just want to hug them.

Kat @ Cupcake Kat February 11, 2011

These look great. GF and vegan. Perfect!

bitt of raw February 11, 2011

Thanks for a GF recipe! Uh oh, I have all the ingredients in the house.

LauraLee @ Old Fashioned Vegan February 11, 2011

How do you keep your silpat so clean? I have one that’s several years old now and compared to my new one its a mess, do they just get a patina with age or do you have a secret trick?

Leanne @healthfulpursuit February 11, 2011

If you find the dish fairy, can you please send her over to my house?

These cookies look fabulous! I’ll try them with carob in the weeks to come and remove the almond milk. I made a similar cookie last week with almond butter & protein powder. They didn’t have any liquid and they turned out pretty good!

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 11, 2011

oooooh yummy…i love how thin they are! they look incredible :)

Leanne February 11, 2011

Those cupcakes look amazing! You’re so talented!

Page 1 of 3123»