Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 10, 2011

I finally got around to ordering a new pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10’s!

IMG_0760

Stank-free and blinding white. ;)

I discovered Brooks Adrenaline last Spring when I had a special fitting done at Fit 2 Run in Sarasota, Florida. I suffered from chronic blisters for a couple years and it caused me a lot of frustration not knowing why I kept getting bad blisters with every pair that I tried.

My fitting told me two important things:

1) Contrary to what I thought, I am not a severe over-pronator. My feet are actually fairly neutral (with slight over-pronation only), so the sneakers for over-pronation that I was buying were incorrect for my feet.

2) I have a very narrow foot. My heels swim in normal width sneakers. Hence: bad heel blisters!

The beauty of the Brooks Adrenaline? They come in a special narrow width and they hug my heels like a glove! I’ve had many fittings, but the one I had at Fit 2 Run was the only one that solved my problem. I highly recommend them if you are in Florida. This week is my Fall Back Week in my half marathon training, so it is the perfect time to gradually break them in.

IMG_0805

And there really is no gracious way to go from talking about feet to food, so I will just get right to it before I put my foot in my mouth. Today’s recipe is courtesy of Elizabeth who is the first winner in the Valentine’s Day Recipe Contest! Eric said he picked this recipe because no one would expect him to pick a non-chocolate dish. I love the mental games he plays. He will be selecting two more (or possibly 17) recipe entries by tomorrow, so stay tuned.

IMG_0815

IMG_0762

This dish is packed with nutritious ingredients!

I started out by using red quinoa because I thought it would be festive for Valentine’s Day.

IMG_0774

Unfortunately, my red quinoa never got fluffy…even after 30 minutes of cooking! I have no idea why it remained crunchy and would not cook. Has this ever happened to anyone else before?

IMG_0779

Because of my wonky red quinoa, I had to start over from scratch. It was a bit soul-crushing! Devil

Sauté the onion, carrot, and garlic:

IMG_0770 IMG_0776

After the onion is translucent, add in the broth, quinoa, salt, and cinnamon:

IMG_0780 IMG_0785

Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Be sure to check it often and stir so it doesn’t burn.

Meanwhile, toast your almonds in the oven and cook the apple on the stovetop:

IMG_0778

After the quinoa is cooked, stir in the cranberries, almonds, and apple…

IMG_0787

Bright & Beautiful!

IMG_0788  IMG_0789

Luckily, this quinoa got really fluffy like it should.

When I first tried it, I decided it needed a bit of sweetness to offset the vegetable broth flavour, so I stirred in 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup. It really brought together all of the flavours nicely.

IMG_0796

This dish is very light and it would make a great lunch dish. It reminds me a lot of the Mandarin and Maple Quinoa Salad that I made a while back. You can enjoy it warm, at room temperature, or even cold. It is quite versatile.

IMG_0798

Eric and I served it as a side dish and then we had a hunk of the Ultimate Lentil Loaf leftover from our party on the weekend. It was a great meal! Thanks Elizabeth, please email me to claim your Glo bakery loot!

Update: Just tried the leftovers and they were fantastic straight out of the fridge!

IMG_0800-2

I’ll be back Friday with a flourless double chocolate cookie recipe that changed my life and rocked my world. I actually made it in December 2010, but I didn’t get a chance to post about it before Christmas and it fell off my radar. I figure Valentine’s Day is a great time to whip it out. muhuhaua. Devil

If you want to prepare in advance you will need the following ingredients: ground flax, shredded coconut, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, almond butter, almond milk, vanilla extract, and chocolate chips.

One thing is for sure: It is always best to be prepared when chocolate cravings strike!

steff (steffsays) February 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm

that looks so delicious!!

Eve February 10, 2011 at 10:51 pm

This dish looks great! I made your double chocolate torte this afternoon, and my boyfriend just tried the first bite: “this. is. epic.” :D Thanks for the recipe! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2011 at 11:43 pm

haha glad to hear it. :) Eric just polished off the one I made last weekend for our company

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 10, 2011 at 10:53 pm

this looks fantastic. yet another thing to try when i can chew again! :(

can’t wait to read about the flourless chocolate cookies. i’m a HUGE fan of flourless chocolate cake – i’m sure i’d like cookies just as well! (let’s be honest – i’ve never met a form of chocolate i didn’t like.)

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 10, 2011 at 10:56 pm

That looks delicious! Honestly I love just about any dish that uses dried cranberries. I just love them!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 10, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Love this sweet and savory quinoa!

Bethany @ More Fruit Please February 10, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I love the pop of color in the dish!! It looks like this could really cheer you up at the same time as being comfort food.

Jess February 10, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Yummy! What a beautiful dish. I heart quinoa. I’ve been eating a lot of it lately. I want to try baking with it more too!

Hmmm strange that it didn’t come out light and fluffy. That happened to me once, because I had too much water. Here’s an article that may help to explain your non-fluffy quinoa http://vegancooking.tribe.net/thread/b2c8b9e6-bf97-4105-8565-f5582fdf1d8e :) Jess

Michelle February 10, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Mmmm I love, love, love dishes like this. Any main meal that has hints of sweetness are a thumbs up in book!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 10, 2011 at 11:19 pm

The quinoa salad is beautiful!!

I recently just made some mango balsamic rice with big chunks of mango and peppers in it. Your pictures are always prettier than anything i can take, though! :)

And feet. Check this out. I wear a women’s size 12 shoe. Yes. Huge feet, also am almost 5;11″ so they “fit” with my body but they are like a AAA narrow. Pretty much I have my own set of skis :)

I hear you on finding shoes that fit…or else getting blisters or injuries. It’s been a lifelong problem for me b/c i can’t fit into women’s sizes, have to wear mens, which are wider, which cause blisters…oy vey….

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 10, 2011 at 11:20 pm

This actually looks like a perfect Valentines day dish. Lots of colors (including the red cranberries), and the bit of savory to offset the sweet!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie February 10, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I like running barefoot best but if someone would come up with a super light-weight shoe that fits sort of like a moccasin then I would buy it! As of now it’s barefoot or Vibrams (which are over priced and wear out fast)!

Charlie February 10, 2011 at 11:28 pm

This looks so good! I love mixing sweet & salty!

[email protected] Thighs & Sweet Potato Fries February 10, 2011 at 11:34 pm

This looks insanely yummy! I will HAVE to try this! :)

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher February 10, 2011 at 11:38 pm

how did you know, angela!? this is exactly the quinoa recipe i’ve been hoping for :)))

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher February 10, 2011 at 11:39 pm

***how did you know, ELIZABETH?!

this is perfect for a valentine lovaaa

Hannah February 10, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Just the other day I made a sweet quinoa dish for the first time in months (coconut milk, cranberries, cinnamon, cardamom, and quinoa = yum), so I’ll be trying this soon! The staying-crunchy thing I’ve had happen with millet – very frustrating!

Gina February 11, 2011 at 12:00 am

I just had shoes made at Fit 2 Run! I was so impressed with the whole fitting and I’m in love with my sneakers :)

I’m dying for the flourless chocolate cookie recipe! Sounds like pure decadence :)

Leanne @healthfulpursuit February 11, 2011 at 12:06 am

Those shoes sound like they’re perfect for you! It’s such a great feeling when you find the right shoe. I bought a new pair a couple of weeks ago but I haven’t found the heart to chuck my previous pair. They hold a special place in my heart <3. Maybe after Valentine's day…

The flourless cookies sound fantastic, and right up my alley! And this quinoa, delicious! I do something similar with pears + dried apricots. So tasty.

Amanda February 11, 2011 at 12:41 am

How did you run so much in the wrong shoes???? I lasted 2 months in the wrong shoes and found myself at Runners Roost literally baring my soul to the shoe guy…. “My feet hurt when I run!”. I have high arches & a neutral pattern and wore stability shoes….. yeah. Bad combo! I’m glad you found the right sneaks, the wrong shoes can really throw a wrench in the works.

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happinesslaura February 11, 2011 at 12:44 am

I need to get some new running shoes, thanks for reminding me!
And funny, I am going to be in Sarasota in 3 weeks. I am going to have to look up your Florida posts and get some ideas for places to visit!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 11, 2011 at 1:18 am

oh that look great Elizabeth!! thank you for a wonderful recipe :)

Namaste Gurl February 11, 2011 at 1:41 am

Mmmm, I’d love to be served this for valentines day. In fact, I might NEED to be served this :)

Ashley @ Taste for Healthy February 11, 2011 at 2:20 am

Oh how delightfully sweet this looks!!! Perfect for Valentine’s Day… except my significant other does not like quinoa (yet!) ;)

Beach Bum Beauty February 11, 2011 at 5:21 am

This looks perfect for a summer picnic, oh how I wish it was summer! Will keep the recipe to try when the sun is shining and it’s warm enough to sit outside.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 11, 2011 at 5:45 am

I do love quinoa and this looks so light and fresh. Delicious!!!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 11, 2011 at 5:59 am

This looks AMAZING!! I definitely didn’t expect Eric to pick a non-chocolate recipe either! :P

I have the same problem with shoes! The first running shoe fitting I had they told me I was an overpronator (but I wasn’t) and that caused real problems for me! Glad you found your perfect shoes eventually though :)

Okay, so I’m gonna go out and buy some cranberries now!! Already got everything else, so I’ll be set to make this yumminess soon! :D

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 11, 2011 at 6:00 am

And I’ll get some more almond butter too in anticipation for this awesome cookie recipe!! Double chocolate?! HELL YES! :D

CathyK February 11, 2011 at 6:13 am

fit2run – love that place! i went there this summer on my florida vacation. i work in a running store up here, so wanted to see what fit2run was all about – wowser! i loved the technology they use to help customers find the perfect shoe. running is such a *simple* activity, but you DO need the right shoes. glad the adrenalines work for you (bet you got a good deal as the adrenaline 11s are now out, so the 10s were likely on sale??!)
happy running!

Gen February 11, 2011 at 6:33 am

Love the tennis shoes and the recipes! =D

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun February 11, 2011 at 7:11 am

Love the narrow width option too! I need it and it helps so much.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 11, 2011 at 7:16 am

I love all things cranapple and almonds! Do you think this would work with cooked quinoa?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 11, 2011 at 7:17 am

I love anything that has quinoa in it – this looks so good!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 11, 2011 at 7:19 am

This might sound weird, but I think quinoa is such a pretty grain. Much better looking than rice! :-P

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 11, 2011 at 7:30 am

That is such a pretty dish. I love quinoa with fruit!

Faith @ lovelyascharged February 11, 2011 at 7:36 am

Ooh, that looks phenomenal! I have a bag of fresh cranberries that I’ve been trying to use for forever- do you have any idea if it would be possible to sub the fresh? And what I’d have to do to make it work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2011 at 10:28 am

I think fresh would be too bitter…

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 11, 2011 at 7:44 am

This sounds like such a great recipe.

Baking 'n' Books February 11, 2011 at 7:48 am

This looks lovely! I didn’t know that non-chocolate dishes were “allowed” ;)

Do you go outside in the winters at all? What’s your temperature cut-off? I rarely go outside for a walk! I’m just a cold wimp – even when it’s NOT that cold! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 11, 2011 at 7:51 am

This looks awesome! I love sweet grain dishes like this one.

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 11, 2011 at 7:59 am

oh man, chocolate cravings struck yesterday and now i NEED to make that cake! can’t wait for the recipe ;)

Laura February 11, 2011 at 8:27 am

Looks delish! Do you have any suggestions on the best way to “wash” the quinoa? I’ve only tried it once by putting the quinoa in a mesh colander and rised it under the faucet, and it still came out kind of bitter. Do you soak it and then rinse it? Maybe I just needed to rinse longer?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2011 at 10:28 am

I totally gave up after a disaster a couple weeks ago. Maybe someone else has tips!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 11, 2011 at 8:29 am

This looks beautiful! I’ve been loving quinoa lately, especially for breakfast. It’s such a nice way to switch things up when I normally have cereal or oats. Great recipe!
PS – nice shoes Ange! :)

Dianne February 11, 2011 at 8:43 am

I’m sorry about your red quinoa! I get so frustrated when that kind of thing happens that I’m usually tempted to just call it quits :-/ Maybe your quinoa was old or stale, if you got it in bulk or something? That’s happened to me with split peas before, they stayed hard after hours of cooking! In any case, this dish looks fantastic and I can’t wait to try it.

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner February 11, 2011 at 8:49 am

I have the Brooks Adrenaline aswell and I LOVE them!! I hope you like them just as much!! Yours definitely look a lot nicer than mine lol.
This dish looks interesting and delicious all the same… I may have to add it to my list!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 11, 2011 at 8:52 am

this looks so luscious!!! beautiful! this maybe one thing my friends like that i do!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) February 11, 2011 at 8:54 am

I have Brooks Adrenaline running shoes, too! I did a whole post about them in December when I first got them. I could NOT believe a running shoe could be so comfortable!

felicia February 11, 2011 at 9:08 am

the salad sounds delicious. I love it when fruit is incorporated into salads- perfect sweet and savory combo.

hope the new sneakers break in nicely!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 11, 2011 at 9:12 am

Ohh what ascrumptious dish! Cranbery, apple, and almond sound like they’d be absolutely lovely in quinoa!

kelsey February 11, 2011 at 9:28 am

i think i’m going to make this!

Barry February 11, 2011 at 9:36 am

It is very unlikely you will remember me. Eric will enlighten you. I will send an email to you soon. I have an opportunity for you to help a couple of people who are beginning what you are expert in. And besides, I wanted to comment because I believe you might benefit from a token man on your excellent blog.

Ali @ Ali on the Run February 11, 2011 at 9:40 am

I run in Brooks Adrenaline 10’s too! I’ve been wearing them for two years now and though I’ve tested out other shoes none compare to these. I love how they fit my feet and the amount of support they provide.

Richelle February 11, 2011 at 9:43 am

I am going to need to make sure I have the ingredients for those cookies. I had a chocolate the other day and made your choco-cado pudding. It is absolutely amazing!

Gaura February 11, 2011 at 9:56 am

oh my! Quinoa for Valentines day = Brilliant! I just had an idea of what to make for my savory dish for my sweet- Im going to cook red quinoa and then make it into a heart shape on the plate with this big heart cookie cutter I have!! It will look soo cute with a side salad and a a paneer+pea+cauliflower curry on the side! Mmmm…

Gaura February 11, 2011 at 9:56 am

Jess (Sweet Potato) February 11, 2011 at 10:04 am

This is so colorful! Love it!

Gail February 11, 2011 at 10:12 am

I LOVE my Brooks! I used to run in Nikes and always got a really bad calf cramp. Turns out that I do overpronate and I had the wrong shoe. I started with Brooks and loved them. Then when it was time to get a new pair, I tried Mizuno, then Asics, and then went back to Brooks. Bottom line, Brooks are great for my feet. My husband swears by the Asics, guess it all depends on what type of foot you have!

By the way, remember when I mentioned I was having a weird pain in my ankle. Well, hubby suggested orthotics, and what do you know? I no longer have ankle pain – woohoo! I even ran the other day (a very short run), and no issues!

Katie February 11, 2011 at 10:25 am

If your fitting told you you were not an over-pronator but actually neutral- then the Adrenaline is totally not the shoe for you. The Adrenaline is definitely a stability shoe, borderline high stability too. Take a look on the inside sole of the shoe- see all that dark grey? That’s the stability- it’s more dense than the white part of the shoe and is what keeps your feet aligned and keeps them from over-pronating. It’s great you’ve found a shoe that works so wonderfully for you, just wanted to mention that it is most definitely not a neutral shoe! :)
-the shoe geek

Mimi February 11, 2011 at 10:29 am

Tell Eric that looks like a good choice!

I was actually talking to someone yesterday about grain alternatives and this person said they didn’t think quinoa had any flavor. I said you just have to do it up right… Like this! Yum!

Camille February 11, 2011 at 10:30 am

That looks so beautiful and fall-like! Yum!
I run in Brooks too and I love them :)

Shanna February 11, 2011 at 10:35 am

I might do a variation on this dish. Love the combo, but I’d make more of a breakfast version I think. Thanks for the idea!

sharon February 11, 2011 at 10:45 am

This looks delish! I’m a newbie to your website and already tried 2 recipes. LOVED them!

Lois February 11, 2011 at 10:55 am

The TRUE ROOTS organic qunioa that I get at Costco is prewashed. Thank Goodness!

I am putting this dish on our Valentine’s menu as we do meatless Mondays in our house and it looks wonderful.. AND I have all the ingredients. Love that.

Renata February 11, 2011 at 11:00 am

Hi Angela!

This looks great…I’m wondering, in the list of ingredients it says 1 TBS plus 1 tsp divided. Is that Olive Oil?

Thanks :)
Renata

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2011 at 11:09 am

yes! Fixed…thanks! :)

Jenny February 11, 2011 at 11:32 am

I want to try quinoa SO bad..this recipe makes it hard to pass up trying it! Thanks for sharing:) BTW-I’ve been reading all of your career changing series and it’s helping me so much! I’m going through simliar feelings and you’ve given me so much hope!:)

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf February 11, 2011 at 11:35 am

I’ve definitely had that red-quinoa-not-getting-fluffy issue. I’ve found that the only way it works for me is if I 1) have very little in the way of other ingredients in the pot with it (besides liquid), 2) KEEP THE LID ON, 3) have the temperature up a little hotter than simmering, 4) cook it longer. It takes me about 30 minutes.

Kathryn February 11, 2011 at 11:38 am

I had the same problem recently with my red quinoa – it was really chewy, but I didn’t mind. I think maybe it needed to be rinsed longer and cooked a bit longer maybe…I have no idea actually.

Isn’t finding a good shoe magical. I love my Nike Frees. LOVE.

Nichole February 11, 2011 at 11:39 am

I have been looking for a light and easy quinoa recipe to bring as a dish to pass for Easter – this will be perfect – thanks!

Darcy @ She Sings at the Table February 11, 2011 at 11:49 am

Yum–I love quinoa with all kinds of different textures thrown in–this looks fabulous!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) February 11, 2011 at 11:56 am

Eric ‘playing mind games’ by picking something that doesn’t involve chocolate = BWAHAHAHAHA SO FUNNY!

Such beautiful pictures of that quinoa salad. I’ve never cooked with red quinoa… seems odd that they just wouldn’t cook. I once made a beans soup and didn’t soak the beans and they never got soft. Was def annoying, but at least I knew why… argh!

I love getting a new pair of shoes ! :D I’m almost due for a new pair myself… must head to the running store.
Happy Friday Friend ! -M

Melinda February 11, 2011 at 12:16 pm

This looks great and very similar to a dish I made for thanksgiving. Quinoa goes so well with dried fruits and nuts.

Christine (The Raw Project) February 11, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Very interesting about the shoes, I’m in love with my current ASICS GEL-Kinetic 3 after discovering I’m an over-pronator and my last shoes caused slight hip and ankle pain because of it.

The quinoa recipe looks amazing, light and fresh. Can’t wait to try it – thanks!

Amber K February 11, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Can’t wait for the cookie recipe! I’m always trying to find things to replace the coconut in recipes though, yick!

I keep thinking I should go to a shoe store for them to tell me what kind of feet I have, but I just can’t afford to buy any new shoes!

That’s so weird about the quinoa, I have never had quinoa take longer than 15 minutes. Looks like a yummy recipe though!

Kris | iheartwellness.com February 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Quinoa is my favourite grain! What a colourful way to “jazz” it up!

Great runners girl, happy running!!

xxoo

Rosalie February 11, 2011 at 12:50 pm

What a coïncidence! I bought the same running shoes just last week, and I’m loving them! Though they feel new, I haven’t had any major issues yet. Hope they work for you too!

Bronwyn February 11, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Yummy! I need some healthy delicious quinoa recipes and this one looks especially good.

I’ll basically be checking back here every 15 min for your cake recipe.

Julie @ Shining From Within February 11, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I am so making this! It looks delicious. Maybe the red quinoa doesn’t cook well in veg broth with other ingredients? That’s weird though, I’ve never had that happen before! Mine always ends up pretty fluffy.
I have all those ingredients on hand so I guess I’ll be making some flourless double chocolate cookies this weekend ;)

big sis February 11, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Hey I was just sitting here thinking what can I bring to great wolfe lodge ..yum .. so happy I have everything I need … going to make it right NOW! Thanks .. nice shoes!! I have those very same heels .. thanks for sharing your tip!

[email protected] Sweet Life February 11, 2011 at 2:15 pm

what absolutely beautiful colors in that recipe!!

brooke February 11, 2011 at 2:18 pm

that looks great! did you take all of those pictures in the lightbox you built?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2011 at 2:22 pm

nope it was daytime so i took them by the wondow :)

Moni'sMeals February 11, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I love Brooks shoes, well made. They fit me feet well.

Can’t wait for the flourless double chocolate cookie recipe. :)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 11, 2011 at 2:45 pm

that quinoa dish looks amazing!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! February 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I think this must be the prettiest quinoa dish that I have ever seen! Now that is saying a lot since I have been around the quinoa block ifyouknowwhatImean (that makes it sound like I’ve been skanky with quinoa, eh? hehe).

(what runs) Lori February 11, 2011 at 3:02 pm

That looks wonderful. So hearty and warming looking. And the colors and textures are beautiful. :)
Happy Friday!!!

big sis February 11, 2011 at 3:55 pm

OMG OSG!!! Just finished making this, Braedon said it was really good and I added a 1/4 cup of Boathouse Farms C-Boost juice to use it up. Can’t wait to try it cold .. that is if there is any left!! Will try it on the gang at GWL!

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Quinoa dishes are so great because they are healthy and light, yet full of protein. Can’t wait to try this one out!

Natasha February 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Just wondering if you rinse your quinoa before cooking it? I have read that you should rinse the grains, but wonder if it makes a difference?? Sounds like alot of extra work, and I doubt those little grains are very easy to rinse!

Thanks!
Natasha

Julie (A Case of the Runs) February 11, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I have cooked red and normal quinoa (both washed) and find that that normal one does seem a little “lighter” than the red. But I actually prefer it less light because otherwise it sort of just blows everywhere. The red quinoa was not crunchy or anything… not sure why that happened to you… sorry!

Deborah February 11, 2011 at 6:11 pm

This looks so good! I love quinoa and use it in so many dishes!

Eloise February 11, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I have that same problem with red quinoa, I find that the regular stuff usually comes out a lot softer, even without soaking it on those lazy days!

Jacquelynn February 11, 2011 at 7:21 pm

That looks so good! Was it red quinoa in the pics? It looked like regular quinoa… I just started using the red quinoa when I saw your recipe with in in a soup… i love it!!! Thanks for all of your awesome recipes!

Tiina McKay February 11, 2011 at 7:28 pm

So I’ve been craving quinoa like no other lately so this was the perfect recipe to try out today! It looked amazing, but to be honest, I was a bit skeptical about it since I don’t usually like to mix sweet and saltly together. But I just tried it and it was AMAZING. Thanks Angela, Eric, and Elizabeth! Can’t wait to see and try out the other recipes :)

ayantika February 11, 2011 at 7:37 pm

looks so healthy and yummy at the same time…

Catherine February 11, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Looks beautiful. Light, fresh, and pretty! Can’t wait to try it.

Ally (oatsandspice) February 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I absolutely love sarasota! One of my favorite places to vacation :) But I probably should get fitted for tennis shoes – I feel like I am getting sort of a stress fracture on my left foot from running too much – maybe it is my shoes after all! Thanks for the tips :)

Oh and I am actually having a giveaway on my blog this week – if you have some time check it out: http://oatsandspice.wordpress.com/2011/02/11/peeling-it-fresh-giveaway/

Meaghan February 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I just tried this and it was SO FREAKING AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Perfect combo of sweet and savory! (I had mine with chicken)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 12, 2011 at 11:25 am

yay!

Jessica February 12, 2011 at 11:21 am

This would be a great idea for stuffing! <3 your website! You are SO inspirational and because of you, I am gradually going to vegetarian and maybe one day, vegan!

Miriam February 16, 2011 at 10:11 am

Hi Angela,

thanks to the wonderful invention of the internet you even reach people here in Germany!! :) I tried your recipe today and it was just amazing – thank you for your daily inspiration! I’ve been following your blog for some weeks now and I just love it! I recognize myself in so many of your posts…

Lots of love <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2011 at 10:16 am

Thank you! :)

Mia February 18, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I am eating this right now as I type…sooooo good! I had the day off and decided to make this for lunch but I didnt have carrots. I did however have yellow squash, so i chopped it up and put it in, hoping all the flavors would still “mesh.” It was fantastic! Thank you so much for inspiring me to eat a healthy lunch today:)

Stacey February 18, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I just made this, and am eating as I type. This is one of the best recipes I’ve made in a long time! It is oh so yummy! Thank you! :o)

Amanda July 28, 2012 at 2:12 am

Delicious! I was having a difficult time liking the taste of quinoa, but now my troubles are over. Thank you for this great recipe! :)

Margaret October 15, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Mmm, delicious. And I too love my Brooks Adrenaline GTs! Just got my 12s a few weeks ago, with purple trim!

Barb May 11, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Hi Angela –
I just made this dish; however, I substituted dried cherries for the cranberries, per your suggestion, but also coconut milk for the vegetable broth. I then added 1/8 tsp of cumin. I liked it, but my quinoa was mushy. Could it have been the coconut milk or possibly that I overcooked the quinoa? I’m fairly new at cooking vegan dishes and have not had much experience with quinoa. Also, I have not been very happy with many of the vegan recipes I was finding but have been motivated to stick with the program due to a health issue. I am SO THANKFUL that I stumbled across your web site!!! I truly enjoy your recipes and am anxious for the publication of your cookbook! Thank you so much!

Barb May 28, 2013 at 2:51 pm

It wasn’t the coconut milk – it was the cook! Tried it again & took the quinoa off the burner sooner. The quinoa was perfect – this dish is delicious!

Rose March 10, 2014 at 3:55 am

Amazing! Tastes great, I heat the almonds in a skillet with the apples and vanilla extract. This is a huge hit in my house! Tastes great for breakfast.