Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

I finally got around to ordering a new pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10’s!

IMG 0760   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

Stank-free and blinding white. ;)

I discovered Brooks Adrenaline last Spring when I had a special fitting done at Fit 2 Run in Sarasota, Florida. I suffered from chronic blisters for a couple years and it caused me a lot of frustration not knowing why I kept getting bad blisters with every pair that I tried.

My fitting told me two important things:

1) Contrary to what I thought, I am not a severe over-pronator. My feet are actually fairly neutral (with slight over-pronation only), so the sneakers for over-pronation that I was buying were incorrect for my feet.

2) I have a very narrow foot. My heels swim in normal width sneakers. Hence: bad heel blisters!

The beauty of the Brooks Adrenaline? They come in a special narrow width and they hug my heels like a glove! I’ve had many fittings, but the one I had at Fit 2 Run was the only one that solved my problem. I highly recommend them if you are in Florida. This week is my Fall Back Week in my half marathon training, so it is the perfect time to gradually break them in.

IMG 08051   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

And there really is no gracious way to go from talking about feet to food, so I will just get right to it before I put my foot in my mouth. Today’s recipe is courtesy of Elizabeth who is the first winner in the Valentine’s Day Recipe Contest! Eric said he picked this recipe because no one would expect him to pick a non-chocolate dish. I love the mental games he plays. He will be selecting two more (or possibly 17) recipe entries by tomorrow, so stay tuned.

IMG 0815   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

IMG 0762   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

This dish is packed with nutritious ingredients!

I started out by using red quinoa because I thought it would be festive for Valentine’s Day.

IMG 0774   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

Unfortunately, my red quinoa never got fluffy…even after 30 minutes of cooking! I have no idea why it remained crunchy and would not cook. Has this ever happened to anyone else before?

IMG 0779   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

Because of my wonky red quinoa, I had to start over from scratch. It was a bit soul-crushing! wlEmoticon devil1   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

Sauté the onion, carrot, and garlic:

IMG 0770   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa IMG 0776   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

After the onion is translucent, add in the broth, quinoa, salt, and cinnamon:

IMG 0780   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa IMG 0785   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Be sure to check it often and stir so it doesn’t burn.

Meanwhile, toast your almonds in the oven and cook the apple on the stovetop:

IMG 0778   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

After the quinoa is cooked, stir in the cranberries, almonds, and apple…

IMG 0787   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

Bright & Beautiful!

IMG 0788   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa  IMG 0789   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

Luckily, this quinoa got really fluffy like it should.

When I first tried it, I decided it needed a bit of sweetness to offset the vegetable broth flavour, so I stirred in 1 tablespoon of pure maple syrup. It really brought together all of the flavours nicely.

IMG 0796   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

This dish is very light and it would make a great lunch dish. It reminds me a lot of the Mandarin and Maple Quinoa Salad that I made a while back. You can enjoy it warm, at room temperature, or even cold. It is quite versatile.

IMG 0798   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

Eric and I served it as a side dish and then we had a hunk of the Ultimate Lentil Loaf leftover from our party on the weekend. It was a great meal! Thanks Elizabeth, please email me to claim your Glo bakery loot!

Update: Just tried the leftovers and they were fantastic straight out of the fridge!

IMG 0800 2   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

I’ll be back Friday with a flourless double chocolate cookie recipe that changed my life and rocked my world. I actually made it in December 2010, but I didn’t get a chance to post about it before Christmas and it fell off my radar. I figure Valentine’s Day is a great time to whip it out. muhuhaua. wlEmoticon devil1   Lovely & Light Cranberry, Apple, and Almond Quinoa

If you want to prepare in advance you will need the following ingredients: ground flax, shredded coconut, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, almond butter, almond milk, vanilla extract, and chocolate chips.

One thing is for sure: It is always best to be prepared when chocolate cravings strike!

steff (steffsays) February 10, 2011

that looks so delicious!!

Eve February 10, 2011

This dish looks great! I made your double chocolate torte this afternoon, and my boyfriend just tried the first bite: “this. is. epic.” :D Thanks for the recipe! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2011

haha glad to hear it. :) Eric just polished off the one I made last weekend for our company

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 10, 2011

this looks fantastic. yet another thing to try when i can chew again! :(

can’t wait to read about the flourless chocolate cookies. i’m a HUGE fan of flourless chocolate cake – i’m sure i’d like cookies just as well! (let’s be honest – i’ve never met a form of chocolate i didn’t like.)

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 10, 2011

That looks delicious! Honestly I love just about any dish that uses dried cranberries. I just love them!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 10, 2011

Love this sweet and savory quinoa!

Bethany @ More Fruit Please February 10, 2011

I love the pop of color in the dish!! It looks like this could really cheer you up at the same time as being comfort food.

Jess February 10, 2011

Yummy! What a beautiful dish. I heart quinoa. I’ve been eating a lot of it lately. I want to try baking with it more too!

Hmmm strange that it didn’t come out light and fluffy. That happened to me once, because I had too much water. Here’s an article that may help to explain your non-fluffy quinoa http://vegancooking.tribe.net/thread/b2c8b9e6-bf97-4105-8565-f5582fdf1d8e :) Jess

Michelle February 10, 2011

Mmmm I love, love, love dishes like this. Any main meal that has hints of sweetness are a thumbs up in book!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 10, 2011

The quinoa salad is beautiful!!

I recently just made some mango balsamic rice with big chunks of mango and peppers in it. Your pictures are always prettier than anything i can take, though! :)

And feet. Check this out. I wear a women’s size 12 shoe. Yes. Huge feet, also am almost 5;11″ so they “fit” with my body but they are like a AAA narrow. Pretty much I have my own set of skis :)

I hear you on finding shoes that fit…or else getting blisters or injuries. It’s been a lifelong problem for me b/c i can’t fit into women’s sizes, have to wear mens, which are wider, which cause blisters…oy vey….

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 10, 2011

This actually looks like a perfect Valentines day dish. Lots of colors (including the red cranberries), and the bit of savory to offset the sweet!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie February 10, 2011

I like running barefoot best but if someone would come up with a super light-weight shoe that fits sort of like a moccasin then I would buy it! As of now it’s barefoot or Vibrams (which are over priced and wear out fast)!

Charlie February 10, 2011

This looks so good! I love mixing sweet & salty!

Andrea@Thin Thighs & Sweet Potato Fries February 10, 2011

This looks insanely yummy! I will HAVE to try this! :)

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher February 10, 2011

how did you know, angela!? this is exactly the quinoa recipe i’ve been hoping for :)))

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher February 10, 2011

***how did you know, ELIZABETH?!

this is perfect for a valentine lovaaa

Hannah February 10, 2011

Just the other day I made a sweet quinoa dish for the first time in months (coconut milk, cranberries, cinnamon, cardamom, and quinoa = yum), so I’ll be trying this soon! The staying-crunchy thing I’ve had happen with millet – very frustrating!

Gina February 11, 2011

I just had shoes made at Fit 2 Run! I was so impressed with the whole fitting and I’m in love with my sneakers :)

I’m dying for the flourless chocolate cookie recipe! Sounds like pure decadence :)

Leanne @healthfulpursuit February 11, 2011

Those shoes sound like they’re perfect for you! It’s such a great feeling when you find the right shoe. I bought a new pair a couple of weeks ago but I haven’t found the heart to chuck my previous pair. They hold a special place in my heart <3. Maybe after Valentine's day…

The flourless cookies sound fantastic, and right up my alley! And this quinoa, delicious! I do something similar with pears + dried apricots. So tasty.

Amanda February 11, 2011

How did you run so much in the wrong shoes???? I lasted 2 months in the wrong shoes and found myself at Runners Roost literally baring my soul to the shoe guy…. “My feet hurt when I run!”. I have high arches & a neutral pattern and wore stability shoes….. yeah. Bad combo! I’m glad you found the right sneaks, the wrong shoes can really throw a wrench in the works.

Laura @ Backstage Pass to Health & Happinesslaura February 11, 2011

I need to get some new running shoes, thanks for reminding me!
And funny, I am going to be in Sarasota in 3 weeks. I am going to have to look up your Florida posts and get some ideas for places to visit!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 11, 2011

oh that look great Elizabeth!! thank you for a wonderful recipe :)

Namaste Gurl February 11, 2011

Mmmm, I’d love to be served this for valentines day. In fact, I might NEED to be served this :)

Ashley @ Taste for Healthy February 11, 2011

Oh how delightfully sweet this looks!!! Perfect for Valentine’s Day… except my significant other does not like quinoa (yet!) ;)

Beach Bum Beauty February 11, 2011

This looks perfect for a summer picnic, oh how I wish it was summer! Will keep the recipe to try when the sun is shining and it’s warm enough to sit outside.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes February 11, 2011

I do love quinoa and this looks so light and fresh. Delicious!!!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 11, 2011

This looks AMAZING!! I definitely didn’t expect Eric to pick a non-chocolate recipe either! :P

I have the same problem with shoes! The first running shoe fitting I had they told me I was an overpronator (but I wasn’t) and that caused real problems for me! Glad you found your perfect shoes eventually though :)

Okay, so I’m gonna go out and buy some cranberries now!! Already got everything else, so I’ll be set to make this yumminess soon! :D

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 11, 2011

And I’ll get some more almond butter too in anticipation for this awesome cookie recipe!! Double chocolate?! HELL YES! :D

CathyK February 11, 2011

fit2run – love that place! i went there this summer on my florida vacation. i work in a running store up here, so wanted to see what fit2run was all about – wowser! i loved the technology they use to help customers find the perfect shoe. running is such a *simple* activity, but you DO need the right shoes. glad the adrenalines work for you (bet you got a good deal as the adrenaline 11s are now out, so the 10s were likely on sale??!)
happy running!

Gen February 11, 2011

Love the tennis shoes and the recipes! =D

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun February 11, 2011

Love the narrow width option too! I need it and it helps so much.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 11, 2011

I love all things cranapple and almonds! Do you think this would work with cooked quinoa?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 11, 2011

I love anything that has quinoa in it – this looks so good!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun February 11, 2011

This might sound weird, but I think quinoa is such a pretty grain. Much better looking than rice! :-P

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 11, 2011

That is such a pretty dish. I love quinoa with fruit!

Faith @ lovelyascharged February 11, 2011

Ooh, that looks phenomenal! I have a bag of fresh cranberries that I’ve been trying to use for forever- do you have any idea if it would be possible to sub the fresh? And what I’d have to do to make it work?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2011

I think fresh would be too bitter…

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 11, 2011

This sounds like such a great recipe.

Baking 'n' Books February 11, 2011

This looks lovely! I didn’t know that non-chocolate dishes were “allowed” ;)

Do you go outside in the winters at all? What’s your temperature cut-off? I rarely go outside for a walk! I’m just a cold wimp – even when it’s NOT that cold! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 11, 2011

This looks awesome! I love sweet grain dishes like this one.

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 11, 2011

oh man, chocolate cravings struck yesterday and now i NEED to make that cake! can’t wait for the recipe ;)

Laura February 11, 2011

Looks delish! Do you have any suggestions on the best way to “wash” the quinoa? I’ve only tried it once by putting the quinoa in a mesh colander and rised it under the faucet, and it still came out kind of bitter. Do you soak it and then rinse it? Maybe I just needed to rinse longer?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2011

I totally gave up after a disaster a couple weeks ago. Maybe someone else has tips!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 11, 2011

This looks beautiful! I’ve been loving quinoa lately, especially for breakfast. It’s such a nice way to switch things up when I normally have cereal or oats. Great recipe!
PS – nice shoes Ange! :)

Dianne February 11, 2011

I’m sorry about your red quinoa! I get so frustrated when that kind of thing happens that I’m usually tempted to just call it quits :-/ Maybe your quinoa was old or stale, if you got it in bulk or something? That’s happened to me with split peas before, they stayed hard after hours of cooking! In any case, this dish looks fantastic and I can’t wait to try it.

Page 1 of 3123»