Garbanzo Bean Soup

IMG_0299

Thanks for your comments on my recap of Oprah’s Vegan Challenge. Even though it is a deeply personal subject, I respect that we can share all kinds of viewpoints on the matter. Whether you liked the show or not, the show created a buzz and it has brought attention to an area that I think needs to be explored in more depth. I would love to see a follow up show explaining the vegan lifestyle and showing all of the wonderful recipes that you can make free of any processed fake products. That would be great!

IMG_0258

Hummus lovers, this soup is for us.

When I saw this recipe for Garbanzo bean soup over at Kalyn’s Kitchen, I knew that I had to make it immediately. After wiping the drool from my face and reading over the ingredients, I concluded that it is basically hummus in soup form and I suspected it would bring my addiction to a whole new level.

IMG_0291

I thought, Yes, this is just what I need to stop spoon feeding myself homemade hummus straight from the food processor.

Then I made this soup and I realized that I was now spoon feeding myself hummus soup straight from the blender…

I guess there is really no hope for me when it comes to hummus in any shape or form.

IMG_0312

The first time I I made this soup, I followed the original directions exactly, but I found the procedure very lengthy and time-consuming. For this second version, my goal was to simplify the recipe as much as possible. I am really happy with how it turned out.

The first thing you do is sauté the onion and garlic for about 7-8 minutes.

IMG_0237

Add in the kosher salt, cumin, bay leaves, and 1 tbsp of lemon juice.

IMG_0240

Stir well and continue to cook for a few more minutes.

IMG_0244

Now add in the 2 cans of drained and rinsed chickpeas, 1 cup veggie broth, 1 cup water, and 1 tbsp of tahini. The tahini is probably optional by the way. I added it in because my favourite hummus has tahini in it.

I’m sure it would still taste good if you don’t have any!

IMG_0246

I used full-sodium vegetable broth. If you use reduced-sodium, you will likely have to use more than a 1/2 tsp kosher salt, so always adjust to taste. If it tastes bland, you need more salt and seasonings.

IMG_0248

Bring to a boil and then simmer for several minutes.

As I was cooking this, I thought, This soup is nothing special at this stage. It tastes OK and doesn’t really have any wow factor.

IMG_0250

BUT…remove the bay leaves and then,

Pour it into a blender…

IMG_0254

IMG_0257

Throw on some fun toppings. Garnish with paprika, lemon juice + zest + wedge, and a drizzle of oil.

IMG_0258

and the soup comes to LIFE!

IMG_0270

It all made sense to me when I took my first bite.

IMG_0267

It is creamy, smooth, and if you enjoy hummus you will love this soup. It goes lovely with a big hunk of bread too, but I’m sure that goes without saying!

IMG_0310 IMG_0311

It didn’t last a day in this house. I really have a problem.

IMG_0312

Spoon feeding is highly encouraged. ;)

Oh and by the way, it is amazing warm and poured over a salad. It is almost like a vegan Caesar salad (if it had more garlic!).

IMG_0320

Something tells me I have some shoveling to do…

Page 3 of 3«123
Toya June 22, 2016

Soup was amazing just tried it for dinner tonight it was nice and creamy, its the perfect comfort food especially on a nice rainy night/

Toya Good June 22, 2016

Just tried this for dinner last night! It was amazing! It was simple and easy to make but nice and creamy and is a nice healthy comfort food. Your recipes are awesome.

Angela Liddon June 22, 2016

It’s great to hear you enjoyed the soup, Toya! Thanks for the lovely comment.

Alyssa March 10, 2016

This soup is AWESOME. I think I have a bit of an addiction to your recipes, I’ve been making them non-stop for the past few weeks, and I have yet to be disappointed!

Eileen December 24, 2014

OMG! OMG! OMG! I made this soup last night for my son and I. My son is 2 years old and DEVOURED TWO BOWLS. This will become one of our Favorites!! Angela, I LOVE your blog and your recipes. I’ve been a reader for years and I love reading about your life’s journey. I would say about 75% of what I eat is because of your amazing recipes. THANK YOU! :)

Marie March 21, 2014

Thank you so much. I was in a pinch for dinner tonite. Needed something fast fir one person. So I cut the recipe in half and added horseradish in place of garlic…Just like I do when I make hummus. In final stage of making this right now. So excited to try it…btw I had chocolate hummus for lunch-OMG

Cici February 5, 2014

I made this last night and had it for lunch on top of a big salad and ooohhh my gosh! It was amazing! Thank you so much!

JC September 2, 2013

I’ve done this before – accidently opened a can of garbanzos when I meant to open black beans to make a bean soup so I gave it a shot Wow! And the leftovers thickened up when cold and worked really well smeared on a tortilla that I then wrapped around some veggies and a bit of chicken to make a wrap for lunch the next day. I should do this again. Soon!

Beatirz Velazquez June 29, 2012

Amazing!!! This soup was so so good, I added tomatoes and it reminded me of the roasted tomato hummus I buy at the store.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2012

Hey Beatirz, so glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

Ginger February 8, 2011

Great recipes BUT they’d be a lot more useful if they had nutritional information with them. I’m careful about what I eat and even though your recipes look good I seldom get around to making them because I’d have to calculate the values for a recipe I’m not certain would be within my guidelines……DARN!

Greta February 7, 2011

I made this and loved it! I added a cup of liquid to make 3 slightly lighter servings. Delicious.

The Robertsons of Mumbai February 4, 2011

I’d kill for some of this soup right now! I’m freezin’! Being raw during a month of snow was a terrible idea for me! Lol!

Dee February 3, 2011

oh my yum!

UM… btw – I love (and I mean love) your spoon! OMG. May I ask where you bought it?

Ashlee February 3, 2011

OMG!! This sounds so amazing! I am definitely making it this weekend!!

Dana February 3, 2011

OMG, I am going to make this tonight for dinner! Thank for the recipe.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 3, 2011

Hummus soup?! What is it my birthday, I am so going to make this!

Rachel (tea and chocolate) February 3, 2011

No way! Hummus soup sounds incredible. Thanks for sharing!

Cait February 3, 2011

Wow talk about something easy and yummmmy! great job!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 3, 2011

oh my gosh.. this is not even funny.. this is PERFECT for me!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 3, 2011

Thank you SO much for doing this! Hummas is my favorite, and I can’t wait to try it as a soup. :)

Lauren (PB&G) February 3, 2011

Yum! I’m addicted to hummus myself. This soup looks right up my alley!

Flo February 3, 2011

Im not a hummus fan at all but even I’m tempted!! I love that you guys call them Garbanzo Beans!! Made me laugh :D

Rachel February 3, 2011

Let me know when you start up “Hummus Addicts Anonymous.”
I’ll be the first to join….I’m ADDICTED!

Zestful Lou February 3, 2011

I once had a boat load of hummus to use up and searched for recipes calling for hummus. I came across hummus soup and this looks just like it! MMMMMM

Anastasia February 3, 2011

And I was only just wondering how else to use up the copious amount of chickpeas I have cluttering my cupboard – hello dinner!! Looks like another winner.

Amanda February 3, 2011

This looks so freaking good! I finally have a warm hummus to eat with a spoon…..

Roz February 3, 2011

OMG!!! Hummus in soup form??? Be still my heart. This will be made in our home very soon! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly February 2, 2011

this might single-handedly pull me out of my food coma recently! hummus by the bowlful? and warm and cozy?? yes, please. :-)

Amy February 2, 2011

I have looked at this recipe about 10 times today. I would make it becuase like you I love hummus so much it is hard to stop eating it. could the soup be thinned a bit more without losing the taste? I am a little afraid to eat an entire can of beans at one sitting because of GI distress… any ideas?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011

You probably could add more veggie broth and more salt as needed :)

Amy February 3, 2011

I made it tonight with 3 cups stock and one cup water, 1/2 tsp salt and one extra clove garlic. While not as seductively creamy as your’s, it is delicious and hits all the right hummusy notes. Thanks for sucha yummy recipe, the first one of your’s I have tried. I am sure to try more soon!

Camille February 2, 2011

Oooh my gosh, hummus soup. My heart is all aflutter!

Mary (sisters running the kitchen) February 2, 2011

wow!! this soup looks incredible!!!! thanks for sharing. I have a question…does it taste more like a soup or is it like eating hummus out of a container?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011

I would say it is a mix between the two!

Hannah February 2, 2011

Squee! I bookmarked this on Kalyn’s Kitchen but, as you say, it looked quite complicated so I put it off. Thank heavens you cam to the rescue! As soon as the weather cools down here in Australia, I’m going to make this.

Preena @ A Teaspoon of Turmeric February 2, 2011

What a great idea to serve garbanzos in a soup!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 2, 2011

I’m not a huge hummus fan (I know, I know, Sssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!) But I love garbanzo beans — strange, huh? This soup looks delicious and I have to say that your photographs are absolutely stunning!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011

Thanks Holly!

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 2, 2011

ashley@quasichick February 2, 2011

hummus soup! how could that ever be wrong?

Catherine King February 2, 2011

Hi! I am new to reading your blog but it has quickly become my favorite past time, especially when I’m in the midst of my eating disordered behaviors. You really help me ground myself and get back on track with recovery. So thank you for that, you have helped me in ways you will never know… On another note I wanted to say that I am slightly in love with hummus(understatement of the year) just like you so this recipe is feeding into my obsession hah! I was wondering if you had any healthy ideas that involved pretzles(organic ones), sliced bananas, and nut butters?? I was thinking maybe layering them and popping them in the microwave to warm them all up. It sounds delicious to me but I never have time to experiment with these things!

-Catherine

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011

Thank you, I’m happy to hear that!
As for an idea…what about mashing the banana and then swirling in the nut butter into the banana…then use that as a dip for the pretzels?

Jennifer February 2, 2011

Hello Angela,

I have been reading your post for almost a year now. I love your recipes and can’t wait see what you come up with. I have a challenge for you. I love the Chex-Mix Turtle flavor. The carmel and chocolatety pieces are awesome and I would be interested in seeing if you are able to veganize it for a truly guilt free treat.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011

I will have to look up what this is!

britt February 2, 2011

yah, this looks amazing! i could eat hummus on any and everything! and with this crazy arctic weather here in texas, it will be perfect for dinner this week!