Garbanzo Bean Soup

IMG_0299

Thanks for your comments on my recap of Oprah’s Vegan Challenge. Even though it is a deeply personal subject, I respect that we can share all kinds of viewpoints on the matter. Whether you liked the show or not, the show created a buzz and it has brought attention to an area that I think needs to be explored in more depth. I would love to see a follow up show explaining the vegan lifestyle and showing all of the wonderful recipes that you can make free of any processed fake products. That would be great!

IMG_0258

Hummus lovers, this soup is for us.

When I saw this recipe for Garbanzo bean soup over at Kalyn’s Kitchen, I knew that I had to make it immediately. After wiping the drool from my face and reading over the ingredients, I concluded that it is basically hummus in soup form and I suspected it would bring my addiction to a whole new level.

IMG_0291

I thought, Yes, this is just what I need to stop spoon feeding myself homemade hummus straight from the food processor.

Then I made this soup and I realized that I was now spoon feeding myself hummus soup straight from the blender…

I guess there is really no hope for me when it comes to hummus in any shape or form.

IMG_0312

The first time I I made this soup, I followed the original directions exactly, but I found the procedure very lengthy and time-consuming. For this second version, my goal was to simplify the recipe as much as possible. I am really happy with how it turned out.

The first thing you do is sauté the onion and garlic for about 7-8 minutes.

IMG_0237

Add in the kosher salt, cumin, bay leaves, and 1 tbsp of lemon juice.

IMG_0240

Stir well and continue to cook for a few more minutes.

IMG_0244

Now add in the 2 cans of drained and rinsed chickpeas, 1 cup veggie broth, 1 cup water, and 1 tbsp of tahini. The tahini is probably optional by the way. I added it in because my favourite hummus has tahini in it.

I’m sure it would still taste good if you don’t have any!

IMG_0246

I used full-sodium vegetable broth. If you use reduced-sodium, you will likely have to use more than a 1/2 tsp kosher salt, so always adjust to taste. If it tastes bland, you need more salt and seasonings.

IMG_0248

Bring to a boil and then simmer for several minutes.

As I was cooking this, I thought, This soup is nothing special at this stage. It tastes OK and doesn’t really have any wow factor.

IMG_0250

BUT…remove the bay leaves and then,

Pour it into a blender…

IMG_0254

IMG_0257

Throw on some fun toppings. Garnish with paprika, lemon juice + zest + wedge, and a drizzle of oil.

IMG_0258

and the soup comes to LIFE!

IMG_0270

It all made sense to me when I took my first bite.

IMG_0267

It is creamy, smooth, and if you enjoy hummus you will love this soup. It goes lovely with a big hunk of bread too, but I’m sure that goes without saying!

IMG_0310 IMG_0311

It didn’t last a day in this house. I really have a problem.

IMG_0312

Spoon feeding is highly encouraged. ;)

Oh and by the way, it is amazing warm and poured over a salad. It is almost like a vegan Caesar salad (if it had more garlic!).

IMG_0320

Something tells me I have some shoveling to do…

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 2, 2011

No. Freakin. Way. Girl, I eat hummus with a SPOON, I don’t know why I never thought of this!! You are a genius, I am making this tonight in celebration of our first snow day in 7 years (our superintendent is from Alaska, go figure).

Thank you times a million for this recipe, Ang!! You are a gift from the hummus gods:)

2 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 2, 2011

Ha, when I saw this I literally thought: it’s hummus in soup form!! This looks fantastic!!!!

3 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 2, 2011

Hahaha. I was thinking that the soup was just pure hummus! It looks really good though. I would be tempted to dip pretzels, carrots, and sugar snap peas in it though.

4 Maria February 2, 2011

Yum! This looks just like a traditional Greek soup I often make called Revithosoupa. It features the chickpeas in a puckery lemon-infused broth: http://anthimeria.com/2011/01/05/revithosoupa-greek-chickpea-soup-recipe/

5 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 2, 2011

Ohhh – this sounds fabulous, and so easy!

6 Lauren at KeepItSweet February 2, 2011

I can’t tell if this looks really good or kind of gross…. I have a feeling really good:-)

7 Nicole February 2, 2011

I do love hummus, but I’m not sure that I’m sold on it in soup form. I do think that if I made this, I’d leave half of it chunky and not blended, just to create some texture variation! I might have to give that a go!

Nice pictures!

8 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 2, 2011

If I was on death row, this would be my last meal. With a slice of buttered crusty bread. And a glass of wine. Followed by a giant piece of flourless chocolate cake + almond ice cream.

It must be close to lunchtime… :)

9 Heather @ All Sizzle No Steak February 2, 2011

Beautiful soup. I love that bowl!

10 Ellie@fitforthesoul February 2, 2011

I agree! Angela, you have some of the prettiest kitchen supplies and setups <333

11 Dani @ Body By Nature February 2, 2011

Brilliant! I am obsessed with hummas :)

12 Caitlin February 2, 2011

wow- just what the vegan world needs- hummus soup! yay!

“serve with massive amounts of crudites” ;)

13 lindsay February 2, 2011

this sounds so warm and delicious

14 Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com February 2, 2011

This is so simple, yet so amazingly creative! I love it! Wish I’d thought of it. Now it’s perfectly acceptable to eat hummus by the spoonful!

15 Legs February 2, 2011

Wow, you’ve outdone yourself w/ this one! I’m going to have to make it tonight!

16 Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside February 2, 2011

Ah ha, yes… the first thing I thought of when I saw this was hummus. Delish. Gah, how I dream of having a vita mix in my life some day :)

17 veganlisa February 2, 2011

Dreena Burton has a chickpea soup in one of her books that tastes just like warm, creamy hummus. I know I would love this dish just as much. Chickpeas are a superfood!!!

18 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa February 2, 2011

Hmmm, I had something in mind similar to this for lunch today! How does roasted red pepper garbanzo bean soup sound???

19 BrightBakes February 2, 2011

oh my goodness!!! Why didn’t someone think of this sooner….Hummus is one of my top 5 foods and now i get to eat an entire BOWl?! :)
love,
cathyb.

20 Baking 'n' Books February 2, 2011

Like Hummus Soup! It even looks like Hummus!

Do you find it difficult to find the ingredients you work with and eat if you live in a small town? Is it easy to get stuff?

21 leslie February 2, 2011

great minds think alike – i created a recipe for the same soup last year! http://www.thewholeplate.com/hummus-soup

it’s one of my favorites, and it’s so adaptable – i’ve made different versions with cilantro, jalapenos, sundried tomatoes, or olives, and i’ve eaten it both hot in the winter and cold in the summer. you can’t really turn down an opportunity to eat hummus with a spoon, right? :)

22 Allison February 2, 2011

Wow, that soup looks amazing! I am so pumped because I actually have all of those ingredients just sittin’ around! I am completely snowed in right now and think that making this soup will be the perfect way to enjoy the day!

23 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 2, 2011

I’m not sure I would like this in soup form, but as a warm salad dressing it looks delicious!

24 Emily February 2, 2011

Angela: I have made one of your recipes nearly every day this past week – last night was definitely a keeper (sweet potato & black bean salad). I’m definitely going to have to put this one on the list for next week! Thanks for everything!!!

25 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 2, 2011

that looks soo creamy and delicious! i will definitely keep it in mind when i want to make a thick creamy soup and craving hummus :)

26 Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) February 2, 2011

This does look like a giant bowl of hummus. I am all for a giant bowl of hummus!! Looks incredible!!

xo

27 Shanna February 2, 2011

I think I would really like this on the salad! The crunch and the warmth would be perfect together. Brilliant!

28 Emma February 2, 2011

For some reason, pureed soups get me excited in ways that pureed soup probably should not lol ;) it’s so comforting because it reminds me of really sophisticated baby food! anywho, I will definitely add garlic when I make it. I’ll let you know how it turns out

29 sonia February 2, 2011

This seems to be a delightful soup…very healthy and nutritious too !

30 Meredith February 2, 2011

Ooo I predict big things for this soup! Like, VOO big. Think of all the possible variations! :D

31 Robyn February 2, 2011

Wow, I’m really glad to know I’m not the only one who has such an intense addiction to hummus. I’ve still not tried making my own, but it will be on my project list as soon as possible. That, and this soup… which I may make tonight. Oh my goodness, I’m practically salivating at the thought…

32 Natalia - a side of simple February 2, 2011

Pretty sure my mom is going to pronounce me her favorite child after I make this for her :) She loves (!!) hummus and thick soups/stews, so this is perfect! Add to it all the intense weather we’re having and it’s the perfect recipe to keep her warm. Thanks, Angela!

33 Bronwyn Coyne February 2, 2011

Oooooh, I kind of want to make that RIGHT NOW. but I do not have any garbanzo beans. Next week though!

34 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 2, 2011

You should check out Oprah’s website if you hadn’t already :). it’s filled with info and stories and recipes on the vegan week! thanks for sharing that by the way, I wrote about it for my readers as well now in tomorrow’s post.

x sabine

35 CathyK February 2, 2011

i, too, really appreciated reading all of the comments generated by your post about the oprah show, angela (good thing it’s a snow day here and i had the time!). it was so enjoyable to read all the differing viewpoints, and ideas…yet everyone expressed their thoughts respectfully.
dream idea!…you and/or mama pea on oprah, whipping up some vegan recipes! :)
good luck with the shovelling – it’s really coming down here again, too (waterloo)!

36 Baking 'n' Books February 2, 2011

I second OSG on Oprah!

I never seen the whole episode and have to go back to read the post/comments – but the clip I did see really, really surprised me – picking up fake soy products in the grocery aisle! Really surprised me. Too bad – I would have thought the Writer would have been a little more conscious of that.

37 Mel February 2, 2011

Wow I know what I’m having tomorrow!

38 Stacy February 2, 2011

Looks and sounds absolutely delicious! I have every ingredient in my pantry already so I’m thinking I will be making this soup very soon!

39 Lu @ Done Dieting February 2, 2011

This sounds as good as it looks. I remember the first time I tried hummus. It involved me, my dorm and hummus. I didn’t leave for two days. Lucky for me I had both a bathroom and a refrigerator. Maybe I didn’t leave because I didn’t want to share, maybe I didn’t leave because I was in a hummus coma. I’ll never tell. I’m not ashamed. This soup will be made and devoured this week.

40 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 2, 2011

Hummus soup is a genius idea! I just made some hummus last week and it’s almost completely gone… soon the people at Sobeys are going to start looking at me funny for buying so many cans of chickpeas!! Thanks for the recipe Ange, and I hope you’re enjoying the snow day! :)

41 Erin February 2, 2011

Oh, I’m torn! I actually have chickpeas simmering in my slow cooker right now because I was planning to make Gena’s sweet potato hummus tonight, but now I don’t know! This soup looks so yummy and something warm would be welcome as it’s still pretty chilly here.

42 Katy (The Singing Runner) February 2, 2011

No freaking way! This is amazing! Sign me up!

43 Emily @ One Sweet Vegan February 2, 2011

What a great idea! I loved the look of the finished product garnished with a lemon slice and paprika. I could almost taste it just looking at it!

44 Moni'sMeals February 2, 2011

This is my type of recipe in so many ways. Plus I have a Vita Mix now! I can’t wait to try this. Fresh lemon juice too, yes well done!

45 Cailin @ Stir Crazy February 2, 2011

Mmm… you had me at “hummus soup”! I only have one can of chickpeas right now (and am not venturing out in this weather!), otherwise I would have made this today. Sounds so comforting.

46 Eimear Rose February 2, 2011

Nice idea, and I’m sure it’s delicious but it sounds like fart-in-a-bowl…

47 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg February 2, 2011

Mmmm…yes!!! This looks just like hummus in soup form! Perfect!

48 Kasey February 2, 2011

This looks incredible!!! I love garbanzo beans!

49 Rosalie February 2, 2011

This looks fabulous! And I just so happen to have a brand new jar of tahini downstairs. I do have one question: did you notice if the vita-mix was able to completely decimate the bay leaf, or should I take it out prior to blending to avoid any sharp edges? Or, for that matter, is the cooking time long enough that the bay leaf completely softens up? Thanks!

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011

Oh thanks for reminding me, I actually removed the bay leaves before blending. I added this into the directions!

51 Ashley February 2, 2011

Oh YES!! I love hummus– I’m making some today, for the first time! Next– I’ll be trying this:) Thanks for the recipe!

52 Michelle February 2, 2011

That is so fun! Soup and shovelling!!

53 Sharon February 2, 2011

It makes me feel so much better to read about everyone else’s hummus addiction. I’m pretty sure hummus is coursing through my veins by this point. Can’t wait to try this out!

54 Kimmie February 2, 2011

Hi Angela,

I am crazy about your website and all the wonderful things you bake and cook. I have been working to adopt a better lifestyle for myself and you have been a tremendous inspiration to me. I am new to so much of this and am so accustomed to a lifestyle of assuring that I have a protein and carb at each meal and at most snacks. I have learned that I feel more satisfied with the balance. Are most of your lunch and dinner entrees/recipes a pretty good balance of a protein and carb? In the animal meat world, the protein was pretty easy to figure out. Reading the side of packages makes finding a protein easy too, but being new to this world, I just wanted to ask.

Also, I have been a weight watchers girl in the past and still sort of look for point values on my foods. I love your section of recipes that cater to the sweet tooth. It appears that most of those recipes are friendlier on the wasteline as well, am I right? (hoping so….I LOVE that brownie pumpkin pie (or cupcakes) recipe)

Thanks in advance for helping me out. You have opened my eyes to health!

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011

Hey Kimmie, Thanks for your kind words. :)
I try to get in a vegan protein source and complex carbs with every meal. This could be anything from lentils, to beans, to nuts/seeds, and whole grains. I don’t count protein grams, but I did do an assessment of my diet when I first made the switch just to make sure I was getting enough.
As for the dessert recipes, they aren’t always ‘healthier’, but I do try to cut down fat and sugar whenever I make a recipe. Sometimes I can cut it by 50% or more with great results. I think all desserts in moderation, even vegan ones. :)

56 Kimmie February 2, 2011

Thank you.

57 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) February 2, 2011

Oh my god! Hummus in soup form!? I eat hummus everyday and can go through a triple batch in a day. I am a hummus fiend and I can not wait to try this!

58 stacey-healthylife February 2, 2011

Oh my gosh. I have a serious addiction to hummus and this sounds absolutely amazing. The best soup I have seen in a long time. That’s just because it’s like hummus.

59 Wendy (Healthy Girls Kitchen) February 2, 2011

I wanted to let you know that it is because of you that I finally got a light box! I’m still working out all of the details (the right lighting), but already I am able to take food photos again (this winter has really been a doozey!). Thank you for sharing the behind the scenes of your blog!

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011

I hope you enjoy it!

61 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 2, 2011

For anyone who loves hummus, or just makes hummus and likes to lick the bowl, the soup looks like a perfect bowl to lick :)

It looks sooo creamy and delish! Yum!

I am one of the only people who can’t hang with too much hummus. Sigh. The beans. Too many and my tummy isn’t happy but I need to try this, just b/c it looks so wonderful!

62 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day February 2, 2011

I love hummus in soups too.. and hummus soup? Yum! I have a kind of similar soup on the stove right now.. tahini/soy puree is the base.. millet, sweet potatoes, collards and onions are in it too.

63 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) February 2, 2011

HUMMUS SOUP?!?! Oh my goodness Angela you are a GENIUS!! I will SO be making this soon!! :D

64 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) February 2, 2011

This oup sounds great! I looooove hummus, so I’m thinking I’d dig this soup. I’m thinking adding roasted garlic would be divine!!

Hope there’s not too too much shoveling ?!

65 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 2, 2011

Must. make. this. asap!!!
Oh and buy a gorgeous soup bowl like yours!!!

66 lauren February 2, 2011

YES! I love pureed garbanzo bean soup! It’s like hummus, but warm and it’s a better excuse to eat it all! I have some chickpeas that I soaked last night cooking in the crock pot that I was going to make into a hummus…but maybe those chickpeas will have a different destiny… :)

67 Amelia February 2, 2011

We must have both had chick peas on the brain today. I roasted chick peas for lunch and they were delicious. I actually ate my lunch while reading this post. Yum!

68 Kalynskitchen February 2, 2011

So glad you enjoyed the soup! I am completely with you on the love for hummus (in fact all things garbanzo bean are good for me!)

69 Liza Jane February 2, 2011

All I had to see was the title and I was like, “yes please!” You’re a genius.

70 Lisa February 2, 2011

So you are shoveling soup & snow huh?! That soup sounds tasty; I might leave some of it not blended so I can scoop it up with pita!

71 jodie February 2, 2011

mmmmmmmm…. I love hummus so much too. I love to make it when the beans are still warm and have warm hummus sandwiches, so this soup is right up my ally! If you get the chance check out my holiday hummus it is so beautiful you have never seen hummus like this before! It is in my recipe index at http://www.jodiecope.com

72 jodie February 2, 2011

I love to eat my hummus warm! So this soup is right up my ally. By the way I have another hummus variation you may just love! Check out my holiday hummus if you like, in my recipe index on my site. You may want to make the hot pink hummus for Valentines day!

By the way I made the avacado pasta!!! OOOOOOOh my goodness I am in luhhhhhh huuv!!

73 Lisa @ Healthy Diaries February 2, 2011

If I didn’t use my last can of garbanzo beans to make bean patties for lunch today I SO would’ve made this for dinner!

Too bad I’m snowed in and can’t leave the house to get more! :(

74 bitt of raw February 2, 2011

hummus soup, i love the idea!

75 Jaclyn T February 2, 2011

Must try this….

Also, I made some chewy balls based on your recipe, using peanut butter, barley malt, puffed millet, sesame seeds, hulled hemp, shredded unsweetened coconut, and chopped pure (no sugar) chocolate. SO GOOD! Thanks for the inspiration. PLUS, seeing as millet is so nutritious, I can down two of these and know my body will thank me!

76 Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond February 2, 2011

Hummus is my absolute favorite, I am sure I will love this soup.

77 Alana February 2, 2011

This sounds incredible! I’ll be moving to Israel in less than a week where chickpeas are an overflowing commodity at the Tel Aviv street markets. This will give me something new and unique to share with my new roommates!

78 (what runs) Lori February 2, 2011

Delicious! I’ve made a hummus type soup before, very similar to this… although yours looks much much more appetizing. ;)

79 Alex @ Healing Beauty February 2, 2011

What an interesting concept. I never thought of garbanzo beans in a soup form.

80 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 2, 2011

My first thought when I saw this soup was that it looked like a giant bowl of hummus. :D Love this idea!

81 Melissa @ Vegan CacaoBee February 2, 2011

Yum! I can’t wait to satisfy my hummus addiction with this too.

82 Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 2, 2011

I just made a HUGE batch hummus over the weekend and it’s long gone! This is a great way for me to get my hummus fix! YUM :)

83 Red Deception February 2, 2011

That. Looks. AMAZING!

I am not the hugest hummus fan, but I do like garbanzo beans (does that even make sense?). I am going to make this soon!

I didn’t reply to the Oprah post, but I’ll add a little one here:

I think awareness should be made into the production and farming of ALL foods. Pesticides, poor slaughter practice, and preservatives in foods need to be explored and exposed to the public. I believe that people are intelligent enough to understand where they food comes from and how, but are autonomous enough to make decisions on their own dietary habits.

That being said, I don’t think a “meat-free society” is realistic. It’s easy to stake that claim when you live in luxury and have finances to buy groceries. If you lived in a very rural setting or lived in poverty, you wouldn’t want restrictions put against you on what you can and cannot eat.

I find this very personal because I come from an aboriginal heritage, where hunting and gathering is in my blood. If someone came up to me here and insisted we were wrong for hunting and fishing creatures that have sustained us for thousands of years, I would be deeply offended. Just as I am sure a vegan would be insulted if I stated they were “missing out” by not eating meat.

I like that options are discussed and created. For example, I love the recipe you have posted and will definitely make it. I may eat it alone, I may eat it with fish. I appreciate the variety, but I don’t want to hear gospel on how one diet is better than another when the issue isn’t the food…it’s the quality of the food.

84 laura February 2, 2011

Yum, hummussy goodness in a bowl.
I have a recipe for hummus-type pasta sauce which is similar to this.
Except it has spinach, and parsley i think. :)

85 Amber K February 2, 2011

Such a neat idea! I don’t think I like hummus enough to eat it completely by itself, but still. Doesn’t seem like you can go wrong with this one!

86 Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh February 2, 2011

Considering I eat hummus by the spoon…everyday…I think that there is a HIGH possibility that I will make this soup! =]

87 britt February 2, 2011

yah, this looks amazing! i could eat hummus on any and everything! and with this crazy arctic weather here in texas, it will be perfect for dinner this week!

88 Jennifer February 2, 2011

Hello Angela,

I have been reading your post for almost a year now. I love your recipes and can’t wait see what you come up with. I have a challenge for you. I love the Chex-Mix Turtle flavor. The carmel and chocolatety pieces are awesome and I would be interested in seeing if you are able to veganize it for a truly guilt free treat.

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011

I will have to look up what this is!

90 Catherine King February 2, 2011

Hi! I am new to reading your blog but it has quickly become my favorite past time, especially when I’m in the midst of my eating disordered behaviors. You really help me ground myself and get back on track with recovery. So thank you for that, you have helped me in ways you will never know… On another note I wanted to say that I am slightly in love with hummus(understatement of the year) just like you so this recipe is feeding into my obsession hah! I was wondering if you had any healthy ideas that involved pretzles(organic ones), sliced bananas, and nut butters?? I was thinking maybe layering them and popping them in the microwave to warm them all up. It sounds delicious to me but I never have time to experiment with these things!

-Catherine

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011

Thank you, I’m happy to hear that!
As for an idea…what about mashing the banana and then swirling in the nut butter into the banana…then use that as a dip for the pretzels?

92 ashley@quasichick February 2, 2011

hummus soup! how could that ever be wrong?

93 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 2, 2011

I’m not a huge hummus fan (I know, I know, Sssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!) But I love garbanzo beans — strange, huh? This soup looks delicious and I have to say that your photographs are absolutely stunning!!!

94 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 2, 2011

95 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011

Thanks Holly!

96 Preena @ A Teaspoon of Turmeric February 2, 2011

What a great idea to serve garbanzos in a soup!

97 Hannah February 2, 2011

Squee! I bookmarked this on Kalyn’s Kitchen but, as you say, it looked quite complicated so I put it off. Thank heavens you cam to the rescue! As soon as the weather cools down here in Australia, I’m going to make this.

98 Mary (sisters running the kitchen) February 2, 2011

wow!! this soup looks incredible!!!! thanks for sharing. I have a question…does it taste more like a soup or is it like eating hummus out of a container?

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011

I would say it is a mix between the two!

100 Camille February 2, 2011

Oooh my gosh, hummus soup. My heart is all aflutter!

101 Amy February 2, 2011

I have looked at this recipe about 10 times today. I would make it becuase like you I love hummus so much it is hard to stop eating it. could the soup be thinned a bit more without losing the taste? I am a little afraid to eat an entire can of beans at one sitting because of GI distress… any ideas?

102 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011

You probably could add more veggie broth and more salt as needed :)

103 Amy February 3, 2011

I made it tonight with 3 cups stock and one cup water, 1/2 tsp salt and one extra clove garlic. While not as seductively creamy as your’s, it is delicious and hits all the right hummusy notes. Thanks for sucha yummy recipe, the first one of your’s I have tried. I am sure to try more soon!

104 Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly February 2, 2011

this might single-handedly pull me out of my food coma recently! hummus by the bowlful? and warm and cozy?? yes, please. :-)

105 Roz February 3, 2011

OMG!!! Hummus in soup form??? Be still my heart. This will be made in our home very soon! Thanks so much for sharing!!

106 Amanda February 3, 2011

This looks so freaking good! I finally have a warm hummus to eat with a spoon…..

107 Anastasia February 3, 2011

And I was only just wondering how else to use up the copious amount of chickpeas I have cluttering my cupboard – hello dinner!! Looks like another winner.

108 Zestful Lou February 3, 2011

I once had a boat load of hummus to use up and searched for recipes calling for hummus. I came across hummus soup and this looks just like it! MMMMMM

109 Rachel February 3, 2011

Let me know when you start up “Hummus Addicts Anonymous.”
I’ll be the first to join….I’m ADDICTED!

110 Flo February 3, 2011

Im not a hummus fan at all but even I’m tempted!! I love that you guys call them Garbanzo Beans!! Made me laugh :D

111 Lauren (PB&G) February 3, 2011

Yum! I’m addicted to hummus myself. This soup looks right up my alley!

112 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 3, 2011

Thank you SO much for doing this! Hummas is my favorite, and I can’t wait to try it as a soup. :)

113 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 3, 2011

oh my gosh.. this is not even funny.. this is PERFECT for me!

114 Cait February 3, 2011

Wow talk about something easy and yummmmy! great job!

115 Rachel (tea and chocolate) February 3, 2011

No way! Hummus soup sounds incredible. Thanks for sharing!

116 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 3, 2011

Hummus soup?! What is it my birthday, I am so going to make this!

117 Dana February 3, 2011

OMG, I am going to make this tonight for dinner! Thank for the recipe.

118 Ashlee February 3, 2011

OMG!! This sounds so amazing! I am definitely making it this weekend!!

119 Dee February 3, 2011

oh my yum!

UM… btw – I love (and I mean love) your spoon! OMG. May I ask where you bought it?

120 The Robertsons of Mumbai February 4, 2011

I’d kill for some of this soup right now! I’m freezin’! Being raw during a month of snow was a terrible idea for me! Lol!

121 Greta February 7, 2011

I made this and loved it! I added a cup of liquid to make 3 slightly lighter servings. Delicious.

122 Ginger February 8, 2011

Great recipes BUT they’d be a lot more useful if they had nutritional information with them. I’m careful about what I eat and even though your recipes look good I seldom get around to making them because I’d have to calculate the values for a recipe I’m not certain would be within my guidelines……DARN!

123 Beatirz Velazquez June 29, 2012

Amazing!!! This soup was so so good, I added tomatoes and it reminded me of the roasted tomato hummus I buy at the store.

124 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2012

Hey Beatirz, so glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

125 JC September 2, 2013

I’ve done this before – accidently opened a can of garbanzos when I meant to open black beans to make a bean soup so I gave it a shot Wow! And the leftovers thickened up when cold and worked really well smeared on a tortilla that I then wrapped around some veggies and a bit of chicken to make a wrap for lunch the next day. I should do this again. Soon!

126 Cici February 5, 2014

I made this last night and had it for lunch on top of a big salad and ooohhh my gosh! It was amazing! Thank you so much!

127 Marie March 21, 2014

Thank you so much. I was in a pinch for dinner tonite. Needed something fast fir one person. So I cut the recipe in half and added horseradish in place of garlic…Just like I do when I make hummus. In final stage of making this right now. So excited to try it…btw I had chocolate hummus for lunch-OMG

128 Eileen December 24, 2014

OMG! OMG! OMG! I made this soup last night for my son and I. My son is 2 years old and DEVOURED TWO BOWLS. This will become one of our Favorites!! Angela, I LOVE your blog and your recipes. I’ve been a reader for years and I love reading about your life’s journey. I would say about 75% of what I eat is because of your amazing recipes. THANK YOU! :)