Garbanzo Bean Soup

IMG 02992   Garbanzo Bean Soup

Thanks for your comments on my recap of Oprah’s Vegan Challenge. Even though it is a deeply personal subject, I respect that we can share all kinds of viewpoints on the matter. Whether you liked the show or not, the show created a buzz and it has brought attention to an area that I think needs to be explored in more depth. I would love to see a follow up show explaining the vegan lifestyle and showing all of the wonderful recipes that you can make free of any processed fake products. That would be great!

IMG 02582   Garbanzo Bean Soup

Hummus lovers, this soup is for us.

When I saw this recipe for Garbanzo bean soup over at Kalyn’s Kitchen, I knew that I had to make it immediately. After wiping the drool from my face and reading over the ingredients, I concluded that it is basically hummus in soup form and I suspected it would bring my addiction to a whole new level.

IMG 02912   Garbanzo Bean Soup

I thought, Yes, this is just what I need to stop spoon feeding myself homemade hummus straight from the food processor.

Then I made this soup and I realized that I was now spoon feeding myself hummus soup straight from the blender…

I guess there is really no hope for me when it comes to hummus in any shape or form.

IMG 03122   Garbanzo Bean Soup

The first time I I made this soup, I followed the original directions exactly, but I found the procedure very lengthy and time-consuming. For this second version, my goal was to simplify the recipe as much as possible. I am really happy with how it turned out.

The first thing you do is sauté the onion and garlic for about 7-8 minutes.

IMG 02371   Garbanzo Bean Soup

Add in the kosher salt, cumin, bay leaves, and 1 tbsp of lemon juice.

IMG 02401   Garbanzo Bean Soup

Stir well and continue to cook for a few more minutes.

IMG 02441   Garbanzo Bean Soup

Now add in the 2 cans of drained and rinsed chickpeas, 1 cup veggie broth, 1 cup water, and 1 tbsp of tahini. The tahini is probably optional by the way. I added it in because my favourite hummus has tahini in it.

I’m sure it would still taste good if you don’t have any!

IMG 02461   Garbanzo Bean Soup

I used full-sodium vegetable broth. If you use reduced-sodium, you will likely have to use more than a 1/2 tsp kosher salt, so always adjust to taste. If it tastes bland, you need more salt and seasonings.

IMG 02481   Garbanzo Bean Soup

Bring to a boil and then simmer for several minutes.

As I was cooking this, I thought, This soup is nothing special at this stage. It tastes OK and doesn’t really have any wow factor.

IMG 02501   Garbanzo Bean Soup

BUT…remove the bay leaves and then,

Pour it into a blender…

IMG 02541   Garbanzo Bean Soup

IMG 02571   Garbanzo Bean Soup

Throw on some fun toppings. Garnish with paprika, lemon juice + zest + wedge, and a drizzle of oil.

IMG 02583   Garbanzo Bean Soup

and the soup comes to LIFE!

IMG 02701   Garbanzo Bean Soup

It all made sense to me when I took my first bite.

IMG 02671   Garbanzo Bean Soup

It is creamy, smooth, and if you enjoy hummus you will love this soup. It goes lovely with a big hunk of bread too, but I’m sure that goes without saying!

IMG 03101   Garbanzo Bean Soup IMG 03111   Garbanzo Bean Soup

It didn’t last a day in this house. I really have a problem.

IMG 03123   Garbanzo Bean Soup

Spoon feeding is highly encouraged. ;)

Oh and by the way, it is amazing warm and poured over a salad. It is almost like a vegan Caesar salad (if it had more garlic!).

IMG 0320   Garbanzo Bean Soup

Something tells me I have some shoveling to do…

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 2, 2011

No. Freakin. Way. Girl, I eat hummus with a SPOON, I don’t know why I never thought of this!! You are a genius, I am making this tonight in celebration of our first snow day in 7 years (our superintendent is from Alaska, go figure).

Thank you times a million for this recipe, Ang!! You are a gift from the hummus gods:)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 2, 2011

Ha, when I saw this I literally thought: it’s hummus in soup form!! This looks fantastic!!!!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 2, 2011

Hahaha. I was thinking that the soup was just pure hummus! It looks really good though. I would be tempted to dip pretzels, carrots, and sugar snap peas in it though.

Maria February 2, 2011

Yum! This looks just like a traditional Greek soup I often make called Revithosoupa. It features the chickpeas in a puckery lemon-infused broth: http://anthimeria.com/2011/01/05/revithosoupa-greek-chickpea-soup-recipe/

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 2, 2011

Ohhh – this sounds fabulous, and so easy!

Lauren at KeepItSweet February 2, 2011

I can’t tell if this looks really good or kind of gross…. I have a feeling really good:-)

Nicole February 2, 2011

I do love hummus, but I’m not sure that I’m sold on it in soup form. I do think that if I made this, I’d leave half of it chunky and not blended, just to create some texture variation! I might have to give that a go!

Nice pictures!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 2, 2011

If I was on death row, this would be my last meal. With a slice of buttered crusty bread. And a glass of wine. Followed by a giant piece of flourless chocolate cake + almond ice cream.

It must be close to lunchtime… :)

Heather @ All Sizzle No Steak February 2, 2011

Beautiful soup. I love that bowl!

Ellie@fitforthesoul February 2, 2011

I agree! Angela, you have some of the prettiest kitchen supplies and setups <333

Dani @ Body By Nature February 2, 2011

Brilliant! I am obsessed with hummas :)

Caitlin February 2, 2011

wow- just what the vegan world needs- hummus soup! yay!

“serve with massive amounts of crudites” ;)

lindsay February 2, 2011

this sounds so warm and delicious

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com February 2, 2011

This is so simple, yet so amazingly creative! I love it! Wish I’d thought of it. Now it’s perfectly acceptable to eat hummus by the spoonful!

Legs February 2, 2011

Wow, you’ve outdone yourself w/ this one! I’m going to have to make it tonight!

Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside February 2, 2011

Ah ha, yes… the first thing I thought of when I saw this was hummus. Delish. Gah, how I dream of having a vita mix in my life some day :)

veganlisa February 2, 2011

Dreena Burton has a chickpea soup in one of her books that tastes just like warm, creamy hummus. I know I would love this dish just as much. Chickpeas are a superfood!!!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa February 2, 2011

Hmmm, I had something in mind similar to this for lunch today! How does roasted red pepper garbanzo bean soup sound???

BrightBakes February 2, 2011

oh my goodness!!! Why didn’t someone think of this sooner….Hummus is one of my top 5 foods and now i get to eat an entire BOWl?! :)
love,
cathyb.

Baking 'n' Books February 2, 2011

Like Hummus Soup! It even looks like Hummus!

Do you find it difficult to find the ingredients you work with and eat if you live in a small town? Is it easy to get stuff?

leslie February 2, 2011

great minds think alike – i created a recipe for the same soup last year! http://www.thewholeplate.com/hummus-soup

it’s one of my favorites, and it’s so adaptable – i’ve made different versions with cilantro, jalapenos, sundried tomatoes, or olives, and i’ve eaten it both hot in the winter and cold in the summer. you can’t really turn down an opportunity to eat hummus with a spoon, right? :)

Allison February 2, 2011

Wow, that soup looks amazing! I am so pumped because I actually have all of those ingredients just sittin’ around! I am completely snowed in right now and think that making this soup will be the perfect way to enjoy the day!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} February 2, 2011

I’m not sure I would like this in soup form, but as a warm salad dressing it looks delicious!

Emily February 2, 2011

Angela: I have made one of your recipes nearly every day this past week – last night was definitely a keeper (sweet potato & black bean salad). I’m definitely going to have to put this one on the list for next week! Thanks for everything!!!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 2, 2011

that looks soo creamy and delicious! i will definitely keep it in mind when i want to make a thick creamy soup and craving hummus :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) February 2, 2011

This does look like a giant bowl of hummus. I am all for a giant bowl of hummus!! Looks incredible!!

xo

Shanna February 2, 2011

I think I would really like this on the salad! The crunch and the warmth would be perfect together. Brilliant!

Emma February 2, 2011

For some reason, pureed soups get me excited in ways that pureed soup probably should not lol ;) it’s so comforting because it reminds me of really sophisticated baby food! anywho, I will definitely add garlic when I make it. I’ll let you know how it turns out

sonia February 2, 2011

This seems to be a delightful soup…very healthy and nutritious too !

Meredith February 2, 2011

Ooo I predict big things for this soup! Like, VOO big. Think of all the possible variations! :D

Robyn February 2, 2011

Wow, I’m really glad to know I’m not the only one who has such an intense addiction to hummus. I’ve still not tried making my own, but it will be on my project list as soon as possible. That, and this soup… which I may make tonight. Oh my goodness, I’m practically salivating at the thought…

Natalia - a side of simple February 2, 2011

Pretty sure my mom is going to pronounce me her favorite child after I make this for her :) She loves (!!) hummus and thick soups/stews, so this is perfect! Add to it all the intense weather we’re having and it’s the perfect recipe to keep her warm. Thanks, Angela!

Bronwyn Coyne February 2, 2011

Oooooh, I kind of want to make that RIGHT NOW. but I do not have any garbanzo beans. Next week though!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 2, 2011

You should check out Oprah’s website if you hadn’t already :). it’s filled with info and stories and recipes on the vegan week! thanks for sharing that by the way, I wrote about it for my readers as well now in tomorrow’s post.

x sabine

CathyK February 2, 2011

i, too, really appreciated reading all of the comments generated by your post about the oprah show, angela (good thing it’s a snow day here and i had the time!). it was so enjoyable to read all the differing viewpoints, and ideas…yet everyone expressed their thoughts respectfully.
dream idea!…you and/or mama pea on oprah, whipping up some vegan recipes! :)
good luck with the shovelling – it’s really coming down here again, too (waterloo)!

Baking 'n' Books February 2, 2011

I second OSG on Oprah!

I never seen the whole episode and have to go back to read the post/comments – but the clip I did see really, really surprised me – picking up fake soy products in the grocery aisle! Really surprised me. Too bad – I would have thought the Writer would have been a little more conscious of that.

Mel February 2, 2011

Wow I know what I’m having tomorrow!

Stacy February 2, 2011

Looks and sounds absolutely delicious! I have every ingredient in my pantry already so I’m thinking I will be making this soup very soon!

Lu @ Done Dieting February 2, 2011

This sounds as good as it looks. I remember the first time I tried hummus. It involved me, my dorm and hummus. I didn’t leave for two days. Lucky for me I had both a bathroom and a refrigerator. Maybe I didn’t leave because I didn’t want to share, maybe I didn’t leave because I was in a hummus coma. I’ll never tell. I’m not ashamed. This soup will be made and devoured this week.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 2, 2011

Hummus soup is a genius idea! I just made some hummus last week and it’s almost completely gone… soon the people at Sobeys are going to start looking at me funny for buying so many cans of chickpeas!! Thanks for the recipe Ange, and I hope you’re enjoying the snow day! :)

Erin February 2, 2011

Oh, I’m torn! I actually have chickpeas simmering in my slow cooker right now because I was planning to make Gena’s sweet potato hummus tonight, but now I don’t know! This soup looks so yummy and something warm would be welcome as it’s still pretty chilly here.

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 2, 2011

No freaking way! This is amazing! Sign me up!

Page 1 of 3123»