Curried Lentil Soup

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 18, 2011

I’m glad that you guys are excited about the thumbnail feature! I am such a visual person with recipes and I need to see pictures whenever possible. I finished inserting all the thumbnails and links last night so things are looking quite good on the Recipes page now. I didn’t even die from boredom like I thought I would. Check out the sea of Vegan overnight oat parfaits under the Breakfast section. Mmm.

IMG_9090-2

I have procrastinated talking about this soup for a week now and I’m not sure why. It’s not that I didn’t like this soup- in fact, I love this soup and I have made it 3 times already- but it is just a bit homely looking and may instill fear in those who first see it (my husband).

But regardless, this is damn good comfort food. It even got the seal of approval from Eric, a former non-curry lover.

The good news is, OSG is a safe place for homely looking soups. There will be no judgment, only acceptance with open arms…

IMG_9115-2

And a bell jar and cute bow for good measure.

IMG_9106-2

IMG_9033

The first time I made this soup, I made a mistake and cooked the lentils beforehand. When I added in the 4 cups of water and cooked lentils, it was a huge mess because there was nothing to soak up the water. Please do not repeat my mistake. I still have a huge container of watery soup in my fridge and I’m not sure what to do with it…

The beauty of this soup is that you don’t cook the lentils beforehand, not only saving you a step, but also making sure there is something to soak up the 4 cups of water you will put into the pot!

It all makes perfect sense to me now.

Chop your onion, carrot, 2 garlic cloves, and celery stalk.

IMG_9042

Gather 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and your desired curry powder.

IMG_9045

I love Arvinda’s Curry Masala.

IMG_9047

Sauté everything in a very large skillet or pot for about 10 minutes.

IMG_9051

It will look nice and translucent when it is ready.

IMG_9058

Stir in the curry powder…

IMG_9064

FYI- The rest of the pictures below were taken in my light box at nighttime. (Post is coming on the light box!)

IMG_9102-2

Be sure to add in the curry slowly and adjust to taste as curry powders vary in flavour and heat.

IMG_9077-2

Add in the rinsed lentils and 4 cups of water.

IMG_9079-2

Stir well. You may think you did something wrong at this point, but don’t worry because the lentils will soak up the water as they cook!

IMG_9083-2

Bring to a boil and simmer on low-medium for 30 minutes or so until the lentils are tender.

I poured half of the mixture into my blender and pureed half of the soup. This is optional, but it creates a beautiful thick soup.

Add it back into the skillet and stir…

IMG_9088-2

Initially, I wasn’t happy with the light box pictures, but Eric adjusted the top light last night and it seemed to help. I will be doing a post on the light box soon though. I’m just trying to play around with it a bit more before I give my thoughts on it.

IMG_9089-2

Thick and lovely.

IMG_9090-2

IMG_9098-2

Garnish with some green onions and serve with lemon wedges.

IMG_9104-2

Every time I make it, I curse myself for not doubling the batch. It goes fast!

This weekend, we enjoyed a bowl of this soup for lunch after coming in from shoveling snow. We were sweating by the time we finished our bowls. Smoothies ensued.

IMG_9106-2

Store leftovers in a jar in the fridge. Add a bow if you think it looks a bit sad.

IMG_9115-2

Just make sure to hide it from others… They will act like it looks homely, but secretly, they just want to eat it all.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black January 18, 2011 at 10:05 am

Homely or not… soup looks delicious. The bow def helps! ;)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 18, 2011 at 10:06 am

This looks great Ange – sort of like dal, but with more interesting bits in it too! I can’t wait to see your post on the light box.. I wish I had one because I hate trying to take photos of my meals at night!

Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 18, 2011 at 10:07 am

I just made a chili with lentils, and they definitely soaked up the water! Very important haha

Looks good, actually!

Meredith January 18, 2011 at 10:08 am

I made the same soup stored in the same jars yesterday! Crazy. I love how the steam from the soup creates a vacuum seal, it really keeps things fresh.

Heather (heathers dish) January 18, 2011 at 10:13 am

This soup sounds SOO dreamy! And it’s funny, I’ve been looking for a curry lentil soup recipe for years now!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 18, 2011 at 10:14 am

AHHHHHHHHHH I must know everything about this light box and I now must have one myself!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011 at 10:37 am

I can tell you all about it this weekend! :)

Emmanuelle January 18, 2011 at 10:14 am

Yummy! I love lentil soups, I love curry, so this one should be perfect :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 18, 2011 at 10:15 am

Sometimes ugly food is the tastiest!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 18, 2011 at 10:30 am

bahahaha. word.

Em January 18, 2011 at 10:16 am

Girl, we are like posting twins! I just posted about a lentil soup, they’re amazing! And I don’t think your soups look homely at all, they make me want to curl under a blanket and eat soup all day, that’s how good they look :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 18, 2011 at 10:21 am

Mmmmm…lentils and curry are such a great combo! I had something pretty similar last night with mung beans!

Jackie @ Baking Charms January 18, 2011 at 10:21 am

Can’t wait for your lightbox post! Your pictures have convinced me to make one, too :) Beautiful

Julie January 18, 2011 at 10:21 am

Oh my, that sounds fantastic! I agree my husband would probably be scared as well, but I think it looks delicious.

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey January 18, 2011 at 10:22 am

I made Split Pea Soup last night, and know exactly what you mean! It was… um… not that attractive. That sort of grey/green color leaves a lot to be desired, visually. But it was super tasty!!

~

CathyK January 18, 2011 at 10:22 am

that recipe page is AMAZING!!! talk about one-stop shopping!
thanks so much for this all-inclusive, on-line cookbook!
i love that you don’t have to pre-cook the lentils for this recipe…the less steps the better, for me, when it comes to cooking!
have a great day, angela!! we get a bit of respite from the blistering cold today!

Camille January 18, 2011 at 10:23 am

I am so amped for this light box post!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 18, 2011 at 10:23 am

It really just takes 30 minutes to cook lentils? I absolutely love them, and have them in the house, but I’ve never cooked them because I was afraid it would take overnight soaking and some elaborate cooking method. But you’re saying that it’s basically no more labor-intensive than rice or quinoa. I am PSYCHED! I will definitely be making lentils this week. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011 at 10:40 am

I always thought that too until I started cooking with them!

Amalfi Girl January 21, 2011 at 7:18 am

I just posted about my very first lentil dish (actually I ended up using yellow split peas) and I attributed the inspiration to this post on your blog! Thanks again :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2011 at 8:39 am

Glad to hear that!

Trish @I_am_Succeeding January 18, 2011 at 10:25 am

This looks and sounds so good…and I have everything except the celery…but I do have celery seed and salt, so maybe a little of that in its place for the flavor.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011 at 10:40 am

You can def. get by without any celery- it wasn’t in the original recipe, but I added it in for some texture :)

[email protected] January 18, 2011 at 10:26 am

I think this soup looks great! and just what the doctor orderd….I’m having a bit of a hard time getting “back on track” after the holidays…this looks perfect…
Thank you!
cathy b.

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 18, 2011 at 10:29 am

YAY it’s here! and it looks great! I hear ya on homely looking soups though. my split pea soup looked like barf (sorry…) but tasted amazing.

and WOW on the light box pictures. so jealous.

I got my Vita today though so that aught to keep me busy for a while..

x sabine

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 18, 2011 at 10:30 am

Everyone loves lentils in my house, this soup will be a big hit. I must try the light box trick, my pictures never look even half as good as yours.

Julia(The Veggie Side) January 18, 2011 at 10:30 am

Oh, this looks so good! I’ve been planning on making split pea soup but now I might have to try this instead!

Allison @ Food For Healing January 18, 2011 at 10:38 am

your website had a glitch and my comment didn’t post! AH., anyways.

Do you think one could use orange lentils or do you recommend green lentils? should i make the trip to superstore for some green ones? haha

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011 at 10:44 am

If orange lentils cook the same as red lentils, they don’t retain their shape when cooked, so the soup would definitely change in texture and appearance. I would really miss the ‘chew’ of these green lentils in this soup. I’m sure it would still taste good though…you just might have to play around with the liquid amount.

Jennifer August 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Why divide the oil?

Sarah January 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

Make homemade vegetable stock with the “bad” soup!! Just throw in some more halved/cubed veggies, some seasonings, and boil away. Strain over a mesh sieve, freeze, and you’re good to go! Super nutritious, super delicious, dollars less than store-bought.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011 at 10:44 am

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!

Cassie January 18, 2011 at 10:43 am

Looks simple & delicious!
will definitely be making this one soon!

Meesh January 18, 2011 at 10:49 am

Angela, you are so talented! I love reading your entries, not only do your photographs rock, but you write SO well, it’s always a pleasure to read your entries. This soup looks awesome, I’m definitely going to be trying it soon!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Thanks hun!

jenna January 18, 2011 at 10:51 am

this looks so good. What i love most about your recipes and style of eating is that you use real, simple foods. Stuff people have in their pantry’s and don’t have to run out and buy a bunch of random ingredients! I really hope your cookbook matches this as well. I hate to buy vegan cookbooks (even though i like vegan baking and cooking… i also like cheese though) and they are loaded with soy and random over processed ‘cheese’ and ‘meat’ products. gross.

i can’t wait to make this!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman January 18, 2011 at 10:55 am

OK, yes, it’s homey. (It reminds me a bit of how split pea soup looks, which in turn reminds me of The Exorcist, which makes me not want to eat it.) However, I trust you and therefore I’ll totally try this.

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life January 18, 2011 at 10:57 am

I’m so excited to make a lightbox of my own. I got most of the supplies this weekend!

Thanks for the inspiration. I was just eyeing all of the lentils I have stashed in my kitchen and wondering what to do with them. :)

Shanna, like Banana January 18, 2011 at 10:59 am

For some reason, lentils intimidate me so I never make them, though I should!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 18, 2011 at 11:03 am

This seems like the PERFECT winter soup!!! And I can’t wait to hear about that light box! I know I have trouble with pictures at night. They turn all orange-yellowy. I’m also using a pretty cheap digital cam, though…that might be the problem. haha

Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) January 18, 2011 at 11:10 am

So there’s a restaurant here in Cleveland that makes the best Indian spiced lentil soups that I would LOVE LOVE LOVe to make at home. I’m wondering Angela, if your recipe creates a soup with a very strong and distinct Indian flavor (that’s the way I love it) or if yours results in a more mild Indian taste? Thanks!

Courtney @ the granola chronicles January 18, 2011 at 11:20 am

I have a bag of green lentils in the cupboard just waiting to be used. This is it!

Moni'sMeals January 18, 2011 at 11:24 am

I am thinking this is lunch today! But we have 80 degree weather so we will see. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011 at 1:33 pm

For the record, it is REALLY good cold straight out of the fridge. I had it for breakfast one morning!

Beach Bum Beauty January 18, 2011 at 11:32 am

It looks really filling and a bit like a stew. It’s great that all your recipes are simple but taste delicious!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 18, 2011 at 11:38 am

i’m so jealous of everyone and their lightbox! recipe looks so good!

Sarah January 18, 2011 at 11:41 am

I love lentils and ugly food that tastes yummy :) I wanna curl up with a bowl and a good book!

Nicole January 18, 2011 at 11:41 am

After reading about the homemade light box on Heather Eats Almond Butter and now your blog, I’m really excited to make my own. I’ve put it off for far too long.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 18, 2011 at 11:41 am

Not homely one bit! It looks delicious and warming, perfect for a rainy chilly day.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 18, 2011 at 11:41 am

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan January 18, 2011 at 11:43 am

I love how you dressed the soup up in the jar and bow to look really cute. I don’t think it looks homely at all! It looks delicious and I want some right now! :-)

Lisa January 18, 2011 at 11:47 am

Yum. I <3 lentils. But I agree they are hard to make look very glamourous. I think you did a great job! Can't wait to learn more about the lightbox!

JL Goes Vegan January 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I love lentil soup! And it never seems to be pretty :) This recipe looks great — love curry. My husband made me a photo light box for Christmas. What a change in photos! I work full-time so most of my pictures food pix are taken at night. It’s helped immensely!

Beth January 18, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Sounds like a wonderfully warm and comforting soup.
The picture with the green onions & carrots on top is actually quite non-homely looking. And I like how you dressed it up in the jar & bow.

Your lightbox sure is providing great lighting for those photos.
Looking forward to your post on the lightbox.

Gwen~healthymamma January 18, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Lentils don’t have to be pretentious or flamboyant, they are awesome and taste great!
When I want pretty I buy shoes! ;)
Besides, you made this lentil soup look lovely. ;)
love curry, love lentils, love veggies! Yay soup!

[email protected] January 18, 2011 at 12:16 pm

oh my, this looks amazing!!! I have a big bag of lentils just waiting to be curried :-)

LauraJayne January 18, 2011 at 12:29 pm

The soup sounds delicious – and it looks good too! I can’t wait to try it!

mi-an dela cruz January 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm

i’m making this today as i have a bag of lentils sitting around!!! i usually boil it before hand and had never had problems?? but i will try it this way too. sounds like it will save me some time.

[email protected] Stepping to the Brightside January 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I’ll definitely be needing this recipe once the cold weather rears its ugly head again. I’m always looking for tasty, “stick to you bones” soups- a bonus when curry’s involved :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 18, 2011 at 12:57 pm

It is so funn you said your husband was afraid of the soup. Last night I made Green Pea Lentil soup and my husband sat down and said… “it’s green.” and then proceeded to close his eyes for the first 10 bites.

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker January 18, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Great light box pics, Angela!

Freya January 18, 2011 at 1:32 pm

This is similar to dhal? I was talking with friends yesterday how fantastic lentils are (and how underused they are in western cooking) How you done curried lentil/dhal fritters? They are very yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm

No I havent but they sound fantastic!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 18, 2011 at 1:35 pm

You sure have been on a curry run. I don’t mind it at all!

I have defintiely made the mistake of doing the opposite. I don’t cook the grains/beans beforehand when I was supposed to, so I get cooked meat and vegetables and raw grains.

Alex @ Healing Beauty January 18, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Wow the light box takes incredible pictures!

Pretty Pauline January 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Your blog is perfect for me while seeking my inner glow! This recipe looks just amazing~MMMMM!

Megan (Braise The Roof) January 18, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Haha, Angela I can honestly tell you that I’ve never seen you make a single dish that looks homely- this soup included! :) I love pureeing half the soup- I used the same method when I made black bean burgers last night.

Nichole January 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I have a bag of lentils that I have to use up and homely or not this soup is probably going to be dinner tonight. hahaha

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Thanks again for updating your recipe page! I love the thumbnails. I also can’t wait for your light box post :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I am on bended knee for lentil soup. This with the kick of curry I am way past HEAVEN! Thanks for the freaking delicious recipe doll!!

xxoo

PS. I bet cauliflower would rock in this as well!

Hannah January 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I love lentils and I love curry so this sounds amazing. I need to make a list of all of your curry recipes!! It seems like a warming, soothing stew for those cold winter days.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 18, 2011 at 2:44 pm

The soup looks great. The recipe looks delish and the result looks thick and comforting and perfect.

The light box. Yes, cannot wait for your thoughts. You are the Photography Queen of Amazing Photos so YOUR opinion on it will really matter.

I will be interested to hear if you think lighbox photos at night can compare with broad daylight/natural lighting daylight photos. Almost NONE of my cooking is done when the light is good, or even present…so I am tempted to make a lightbox too. Can’t hurt, right?

Can’t wait for your review!

Amy January 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I made a soup very similar to this last week, except I added potatoes and didn’t use green onions. I pureed all of it which turned it brown! Talk about a homely soup! However, I just finished some for lunch and it tastes great. I’ll have to try your version next week!

vancouver personal trainers January 18, 2011 at 2:48 pm

This looks great I am going to send it out to my clients for them to try …. And possibly bring me the left overs. Thanks for posting this I cant wait to get the Feed back …or i mean the Left overs :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 18, 2011 at 2:56 pm

That lightbox is wicked cool. Can’t wait to read the post on it.

LOVE, LOVE the recipe page. :)

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl January 18, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Aww…I feel bad for the soup for being judge based on outside appearances…afterall, it’s what’s on the inside that counts, right ;)

Lana January 18, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I make a dish similar to this…and it ALWAYS looks like mush (or homely, lol)….Yours actually looks AMAZING and I (secretly) want to eat it all!!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Your lightbox is awesome! I make a lot of soups that turn out too watery. Generally I just drain out the extra liquid and then puree it. No one will be the wiser!

[email protected] January 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I have tried a few of your soups and have never been disappointed! Can’t wait to try this one;)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I’m not prejudice. Ugly soups, pretty soups, I love them all. :-)

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm

that looks fantastic!

Katie January 18, 2011 at 3:16 pm

This soup has me wishing I liked lentils. Its not the color, its not the flavor, I don’t know what it is. I love curried RED lentil soup, but not brown. I’m a bit odd, I suppose.

Ashley January 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm

hahaha. That should be in the header: Oh She Glows, Homely looking soups welcome.
It looks really delicious, I’ll have to make it some time soon!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Wow – that lightbox really makes your photos POP! I wait for your post on it as suspect once winter hits in Australia I will need to make something similar :)

Christine (The Raw Project) January 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm

This soup looks wonderful and I like the bow too. :-) Great pics and that’s an impressive light box!

Nico January 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm

the new recipe page is really awesome! the thumbnails should really help people find things in your archive … I just bookmarked the salt & vinegar potatoes, perhaps for a superbowl party?!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I was JUST thinking of making something like this the other day but didn’t have the ingredients for the soup..just lentils and curry. :P Now I have an actual recipe to follow- thanks!

[email protected] January 18, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Yum yum yum yum yum yum yum!

Zestful Lou January 18, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Mmmm! I am a fan of homely soups. In fact, the homlier the better. My favorite favorite soup is a homemade split pea and this reminds me of it (by the way it looks!). I love spicy. I will have to try this!
-Lou

lauren January 18, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Yummm…I”ve been craving lentils intensely the past couple weeks, making them every other day for a meal. Maybe it’s the iron? I’ll have to try your recipe next! It looks so lovely in the mason jar!

Lu @ Done Dieting January 18, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Amazing! I love lentils. This looks so very good. I like a simple lentil soup that is thick enough to feel like a stew almost. I love spicy food, so this really can’t be beat.

Emma @ CuddleNRead.blogspot.com January 18, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Looks yummy! I just made lentil soup with lots of veggies and part butternut squash part water. It was delish!
Random question- anyone know a good all-natural deodorant? I’ve tried Toms and Jason’s and neither work well.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I havent been able to find one…I even tried making one too but Ive never been happy with the outcome.

Katie January 18, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I just placed my first order for Soapwalla deodorant (here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/35641572/deodorant-cream). I haven’t received it yet, so I can’t give my opinion on it, but it’s gotten glowing reviews in multiple places (I saw it on Apartment Therapy’s Re-Nest site and the etsy page lists other reviews). I’d let you know what I think of it, but by the time it gets here, I will have forgotten that this comment existed and I don’t have a blog or anything. :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 18, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Personally, I think this looks incredibly delicious, homely or not. Sometimes the most un-pretty meals are the tastiest!

xo

mary (what's cookin' with mary) January 18, 2011 at 6:16 pm

My husband thought your light box was REALLY cool!! He wants to make me one :D

…and the soup sounds GREAT. I am a huge fan of homely soups ;) …and this one looks really tasty.

Amy January 18, 2011 at 6:51 pm

So funny! I made a very similar soup this week. It was adapted from an allrecipes recipe and was coconut curried lentil stew. Instead of the olive oil, I used coconut oil and then added a dry coconut powder. It was just a little sweet with the savory curry – delicious!

KaraHadley January 18, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Now because of you I want to put everything I own and cook in cute jars. So I am.

Baking 'n' Books January 18, 2011 at 7:11 pm

How many servings is this? Looks like split pea soup – which I love :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm

it makes 4-5 cups

Baking 'n' Books January 19, 2011 at 9:22 am

Thanks! Weird – I checked off to receive follow-up comments (so I can see replies ;) ) but nothing shows up for me…I’ll have to check my address.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 19, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Hmm wonder why? I find plug-ins are very strange and act up at times…!

stacey-healthylife January 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I LOVE lentil soup.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 18, 2011 at 7:28 pm

There is nothing wrong with homely looking foods! They’re the perfect comforting foods for winter.

Jade January 18, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I am simmering this soup right now and it is the most lovely smell in the world! Thank you! I can’t wait to eat it.

And the light box…brilliant. Now I know why my pics always suck. I don’t have one!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm

hope you enjoy it!

Roz January 18, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Looking forward to the post on the lightbox. Have a great day!

Katie January 18, 2011 at 9:09 pm

This looks fantastic! If I weren’t trying to clear all of the recipes out of my delicious account before they shut down, this would totally be on the list for the weekend! I may have to make it anyway!

For your “ruined” soup, maybe try adding another cup or two of cooked lentils and blending the whole thing? It wouldn’t be exactly the same, but you wouldn’t have to waste anything. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm

great idea :)

Hannah January 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Teehee, I once made a delicious fresh pean and green split pea soup that my brother refused to even try because of its appearance. Why can’t some people realise that the uglier, the better in terms of taste? :P Can’t wait to try this!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 18, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I love making soup. It’s probably one of my favourite things to cook. I make at least one recipe a week.

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 18, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Delicious! :D

Leah January 18, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Oh! Yummy! My favourite thing to get at our local East Indian place is the curry lentil soup. This is on my list!!!

Gabby January 19, 2011 at 12:39 am

Love the soup, looks like it would make me feel cozy. However, the light box!!! Now that is brilliant and I’m so excited to read more!
Show us how to make it! I can’t get over how smart that is.

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner January 19, 2011 at 7:05 am

I can see past the homely-ness to the deliciousness! I love lentils, I love curry, and I usually have all of these ingredients on hand. I will definitely try this soon!

Lauren at KeepItSweet January 19, 2011 at 8:22 am

I love lentil soup and will be saving this recipe! Oh, and your pictures look ANYTHING but homely!

tweal January 19, 2011 at 8:23 am

This looks a lot like the lentil soups that come out of my kitchen! Homely but sooo delicious, and nutritious.

I have to admit I don’t understand how anyone could dislike curry!

Liza Jane January 19, 2011 at 10:36 am

I make a curried butternut squash and lentil soup that I got from my brother. It’s also pretty homely (in fact, looks a lot like this one), but tastes great.

Alexandra January 19, 2011 at 10:52 am

I made curried lentil soup this weekend! Except I cooked it with ghee and also added 1 tsp of New Mexico chili powder and 1 T of nutritional yeast, and served it with brown rice crackers. Nom noms!

Tracy @ Commit To Fit January 19, 2011 at 11:56 am

I haven’t made soup in a long time and this one looks like a keeper. I heart lentils!

Jayhawk Jen January 19, 2011 at 2:03 pm

any guess on the nutrional info for this soup? It looks so wonderful! I am on weight watchers and I need to enter fat, fiber, carbs and protein,,,

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 19, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Hey Jen! If you visit the original recipe that I adapted (I linked to it in the recipe), it gives nutritional info. It wont be the same b/c I changed it (decreased oil and omitted chickpea part), so I guess the calories/fat/protein would be lower.

Jessica January 19, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I’ve always liked lentils, but every time I try to make them it turns into a disaster. This recipe is lovely! This soup is so warm, creamy and delicious! (I doubled the carrots, celery and garlic, and think I would add even more carrots and celery next time…I like my soups extra hearty!)

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey January 19, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Hi Angela! Would this work the same to use 1 cup uncooked black beans instead of lentils? I wonder if I would need to soak them overnight first. Thanks! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 19, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I don’t think black beans would work in this recipe as it would throw off the flavour and texture

Sara January 19, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love this soup too!!! I have been making it for years – but the recipe I use includes Butternut Squash too – It is VERY good. Just cut the squash into chunks (no need to peel it!) and add when you add the lentils. You will have to let simmer about 15 minutes longer to ensure the squash is cooked through.

jaded January 20, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I make something like this all the time. It freezes well, and is tasty. (I’d add a bit of ginger and cayenne). I’ve also added a few roasted veggies as well — like sweet potatoes.

sara January 20, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Just wanted to tell you that I made this soup today – it’s my new favorite!! And as you said, I’m upset that I didn’t double or even triple the recipe!! Thankfully it was SUPER easy to make. Think I’ll be making some more in a few days :D

Liette January 21, 2011 at 10:36 am

I made the lentil soup last night and it is filling/tasty and oh so healthy.

Every morning when I first login, I visit your blog to see what you cooked up and posted. I look forward to it everyday!

Thank You!

Mel January 23, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Angela, I just started reading your blog. I love your recipes, especially this one! I tried it last night, and it turned out deliciously! I look forward to trying more of your recipes :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Thanks Mel! Glad you enjoy the blog (and the curry recipe!) :)

Becca January 23, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I just had this soup for dinner. I followed the recipe to a T (I even used Arvinda’s Curry Masala, which I also love), except that I used red lentils instead of green. Fabulous, plus enough leftover for two more meals. Oh, and for dessert I had a Healthy Strawberry Oat Square (only I made them using cranberry homemade jam). Another amazing recipe.

PS I don’t know why you’d worry about the look of the soup because anything you photograph looks lovely in my opinion!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2011 at 11:06 pm

haha thanks Becca! Glad you enjoyed it…you are making me crave it again!

Margaret January 23, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I made this soup Friday evening — it’s so delicious! I didn’t have any scallions so I substituted a red bell pepper instead, used half vegetable stock and half water, and I topped it with a dollop of fat-free Greek yogurt (the yogurt added a little something that made it creamy and tangy, which I loved!). All in all a most excellent recipe — thank you so much for sharing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Great modifications! Thanks for sharing :)

Bonfei January 25, 2011 at 12:28 am

I don’t own a blender. What does the soup like if I don’t blend it? There are so many recipes that calls for a blender. Wonder if I should invest in one or one of those handheld immersion one? I have tried 2 of your recipes so far. Coming from someone who doesn’t cook, it is pretty darn good :)

Val R June 11, 2012 at 3:19 am

You could use a potatoe masher, probably just a little more of a workout!

Jessica February 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Making this up right now!! It smells DELICIOUS! i know that it’ll just be amazingg with fresh, toasted bread dipped in :)

Elise May 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm

OMG it’s good!!! And the whole house smells amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2012 at 5:45 pm

whohoo! :)

Naomi May 15, 2012 at 3:33 am

I’ve now made this soup twice and I adore it. Sooo good. Filling, comforting, healthy. And I love that it doesn’t require stock!

Sonia Burgos May 18, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I love this soup.It so flavorful and perfect for a light dinner meal. I made it with a few modification and blogged it on my page. Thanks fore the recipe Angela!

Carolyn May 19, 2012 at 7:42 am

This is a way late comment, but I love lentil soup of any stripe and have been thinking about making a curried lentil soup recently, then found your recipe. Lentil soup is ALWAYS homely! There is just no way around it, so we have to embrace it for what it is, as you suggest. Every time I make any kind of lentil soup I try to figure out how to make it prettier, give up, and just eat it. The eating part makes up for the homely part! (Although your lentil soup pics are actually lovely anyway!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 19, 2012 at 10:56 am

mmm totally agree!

Val R June 11, 2012 at 3:17 am

I am new to lentils , I have the red variety sitting nervously in my cupboard , do you think I could use those in this recipe? To me it looks just like a yummy vegan soup and half sammy I had for lunch at a great little lakeside cafe just accross the boarder this afternoon.

ali October 7, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Looks like a great soup and I love curry. Curiuos if I use red lentils, because that’s what I have, will that be ok or will it change the flavors too much?

Tara October 19, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I made this for my parents with wild brown rice and they loved it! I added turmeric, cumin, and some ginger. It was great! This awesome site is helping me incorporate more vegan recipes into my life and those I cook for! Thank you! ^^

Lauren December 11, 2012 at 8:05 am

I made this soup yesterday and I have to say that I thought it was missing something. I wasn’t sure what, so I added a little extra salt and it literally made it unedible. I had let the lentils cook for about 45 minutes before I blended half but they were still hard/firm once blended.
I figured instead of tossing the whole thing out, i should try to salvage it, I added a can of drained lentils and half a can of coconut milk. Omg. It’s good stuff.
Sorry to have negative feedback regarding the recipe- but I figure since most of the people posting are mostly commenting on the photos I’d give a suggestion for someone who may run into a similar situation I did.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 11, 2012 at 9:45 am

Thanks for your feedback Lauren. I’m glad you were able to come up with something that pleased your own tastebuds!

Odette December 14, 2012 at 5:00 pm

It’s finally getting cold down here in San Diego so I decided to make the soup today. It came out delicious! I love how thick it is, I tend to enjoy thicker soups more and this one was delicious! I added a bunch of kale in the mix and garnished with a dollop of tahini.. :)

Have a great weekend Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2012 at 9:11 am

Im so happy you enjoyed it!

Melanie March 25, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Made this soup this week and it was so-o-o good. Thanks!

Abby April 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I love this soup! It is now one of the staples (especially during the winter months) in my household. I do make one addition to the original recipe that I wanted to share: when the soup has about 5-10 minutes left to cook, I like to add a chopped up apple, preferably the tangy kind (e.g., gala, pink lady, fuji). Gives it a nice flavor, and adding the apples towards the end gives the soup a nice texture, without the apples being too mushy.

loving this soup October 8, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Was absolutely delicious!! I live where its cold and dark and will definitely make this again to warm the winter…GREAT recipe!!!

Anne November 17, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I made it today and it was delicious. My only change was the addition of a chopped potato and chopped coriander. I especially like the potato.
Last week we tried you spicy red lentil (with tomatoes) soup.
Thank you for all the great recipes – you have become my ‘go to’ site for what to eat.
Anne

Ada January 12, 2014 at 9:23 am

I found a bag of green lentils in my kitchen drawer and decided to make something of them – though I’ve never cooked a lentil dish before. I was searching for a good recepie and came across this one. I could find all the ingredients from my kitchen and decided to try it ! Now I have a pot of lentil soup waiting for me on my stove and though I yet haven’t tasted it, I know that the smell is delicious ! :)

Trish February 8, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I luv your blog and food photos! Just getting started myself. Congrats!

Mariah March 11, 2014 at 12:33 pm

This is on the stove right now cooking! Hope it turns out delicious!

ceci October 12, 2014 at 8:49 pm

BRAVO!! Thank you for the recipe, this was dinner tonight. And it was amazing! A crowd pleaser, my guest had theirs with basmati rice.

I doubled the recipe and used red lentils, I used 4 cups of my own vegetable stock with 3 cups of water, 7 cups liquid total; and I was left with quite a bit of liquid. Even the blender thickening trick didn’t seem to help much. I may try again with some coconut milk!

GOOOD EASY CLASSIC RECIPE

xx

Katie February 23, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Excellent recipe! I doubled the recipe and, after sautéing the vegetables, let it finish in the slow cooker. I also reduced the water/broth to make it thicker and more stew-like and didn’t puree. I love that it has such simple ingredients! Will definitely make again.

Anne Boyd February 13, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Minus 22 degrees celsius today and lunch doesn’t get much better with this soup. Instead of lemon juice I added the zest of a lemon and some fresh coriander with the green onions. The lemon zest was a good call.

Michelle Jaelin @NutritionArtist February 24, 2017 at 5:19 pm

This looks amazing! Cannot wait to try it :)

Michelle Jaelin @NutritionArtist February 24, 2017 at 6:50 pm

I love green lentils, they taste amazing in soup! Thanks for the great recipe – I cannot wait to try it :-)

Angela Liddon February 27, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Hope you enjoy it, Michelle!

Michelle Jaelin @NutritionArtist March 9, 2017 at 8:47 pm

It was DELICIOUS! The next day I added some water and pureed the soup some more to get a smoother consistency. Lentils soaked up much of the moisture!

Francis Rubinstein December 14, 2017 at 7:56 pm

I’ve made this recipe repeatedly over the years. It’s just a great soup and so easy to make. Yes, it is a bit homely in appearance but the taste just keeps you coming back for more. I pretty much follow the recipe as to proportions. I play around with the amount of lemon juice and the amount of curry depending on my (and my wife’s) mood. And yes, it tastes even better the second day, but you have to add a bit of water because the lentils continue to absorb water in the fridge. Thanks for the keeper!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2017 at 11:50 am

Hey Francis, Thanks for sharing your feedback and tips! I’m so glad you and your wife love this soup. Sometimes the homeliest recipes are the best, right?