Curried Lentil Soup

I’m glad that you guys are excited about the thumbnail feature! I am such a visual person with recipes and I need to see pictures whenever possible. I finished inserting all the thumbnails and links last night so things are looking quite good on the Recipes page now. I didn’t even die from boredom like I thought I would. Check out the sea of Vegan overnight oat parfaits under the Breakfast section. Mmm.

IMG 9090 2 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

I have procrastinated talking about this soup for a week now and I’m not sure why. It’s not that I didn’t like this soup- in fact, I love this soup and I have made it 3 times already- but it is just a bit homely looking and may instill fear in those who first see it (my husband).

But regardless, this is damn good comfort food. It even got the seal of approval from Eric, a former non-curry lover.

The good news is, OSG is a safe place for homely looking soups. There will be no judgment, only acceptance with open arms…

IMG 9115 2 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

And a bell jar and cute bow for good measure.

IMG 9106 2 thumb2   Curried Lentil Soup

IMG 9033 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

The first time I made this soup, I made a mistake and cooked the lentils beforehand. When I added in the 4 cups of water and cooked lentils, it was a huge mess because there was nothing to soak up the water. Please do not repeat my mistake. I still have a huge container of watery soup in my fridge and I’m not sure what to do with it…

The beauty of this soup is that you don’t cook the lentils beforehand, not only saving you a step, but also making sure there is something to soak up the 4 cups of water you will put into the pot!

It all makes perfect sense to me now.

Chop your onion, carrot, 2 garlic cloves, and celery stalk.

IMG 9042 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

Gather 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and your desired curry powder.

IMG 9045 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

I love Arvinda’s Curry Masala.

IMG 9047 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

Sauté everything in a very large skillet or pot for about 10 minutes.

IMG 9051 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

It will look nice and translucent when it is ready.

IMG 9058 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

Stir in the curry powder…

IMG 9064 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

FYI- The rest of the pictures below were taken in my light box at nighttime. (Post is coming on the light box!)

IMG 9102 2 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

Be sure to add in the curry slowly and adjust to taste as curry powders vary in flavour and heat.

IMG 9077 2 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

Add in the rinsed lentils and 4 cups of water.

IMG 9079 2 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

Stir well. You may think you did something wrong at this point, but don’t worry because the lentils will soak up the water as they cook!

IMG 9083 2 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

Bring to a boil and simmer on low-medium for 30 minutes or so until the lentils are tender.

I poured half of the mixture into my blender and pureed half of the soup. This is optional, but it creates a beautiful thick soup.

Add it back into the skillet and stir…

IMG 9088 2 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

Initially, I wasn’t happy with the light box pictures, but Eric adjusted the top light last night and it seemed to help. I will be doing a post on the light box soon though. I’m just trying to play around with it a bit more before I give my thoughts on it.

IMG 9089 2 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

Thick and lovely.

IMG 9090 2 thumb1   Curried Lentil Soup

IMG 9098 2 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

Garnish with some green onions and serve with lemon wedges.

IMG 9104 2 thumb   Curried Lentil Soup

Every time I make it, I curse myself for not doubling the batch. It goes fast!

This weekend, we enjoyed a bowl of this soup for lunch after coming in from shoveling snow. We were sweating by the time we finished our bowls. Smoothies ensued.

IMG 9106 2 thumb3   Curried Lentil Soup

Store leftovers in a jar in the fridge. Add a bow if you think it looks a bit sad.

IMG 9115 2 thumb1   Curried Lentil Soup

Just make sure to hide it from others… They will act like it looks homely, but secretly, they just want to eat it all.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black January 18, 2011

Homely or not… soup looks delicious. The bow def helps! ;)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 18, 2011

This looks great Ange – sort of like dal, but with more interesting bits in it too! I can’t wait to see your post on the light box.. I wish I had one because I hate trying to take photos of my meals at night!

Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 18, 2011

I just made a chili with lentils, and they definitely soaked up the water! Very important haha

Looks good, actually!

Meredith January 18, 2011

I made the same soup stored in the same jars yesterday! Crazy. I love how the steam from the soup creates a vacuum seal, it really keeps things fresh.

Heather (heathers dish) January 18, 2011

This soup sounds SOO dreamy! And it’s funny, I’ve been looking for a curry lentil soup recipe for years now!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 18, 2011

AHHHHHHHHHH I must know everything about this light box and I now must have one myself!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011

I can tell you all about it this weekend! :)

Emmanuelle January 18, 2011

Yummy! I love lentil soups, I love curry, so this one should be perfect :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 18, 2011

Sometimes ugly food is the tastiest!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 18, 2011

bahahaha. word.

Em January 18, 2011

Girl, we are like posting twins! I just posted about a lentil soup, they’re amazing! And I don’t think your soups look homely at all, they make me want to curl under a blanket and eat soup all day, that’s how good they look :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 18, 2011

Mmmmm…lentils and curry are such a great combo! I had something pretty similar last night with mung beans!

Jackie @ Baking Charms January 18, 2011

Can’t wait for your lightbox post! Your pictures have convinced me to make one, too :) Beautiful

Julie January 18, 2011

Oh my, that sounds fantastic! I agree my husband would probably be scared as well, but I think it looks delicious.

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey January 18, 2011

I made Split Pea Soup last night, and know exactly what you mean! It was… um… not that attractive. That sort of grey/green color leaves a lot to be desired, visually. But it was super tasty!!

~

CathyK January 18, 2011

that recipe page is AMAZING!!! talk about one-stop shopping!
thanks so much for this all-inclusive, on-line cookbook!
i love that you don’t have to pre-cook the lentils for this recipe…the less steps the better, for me, when it comes to cooking!
have a great day, angela!! we get a bit of respite from the blistering cold today!

Camille January 18, 2011

I am so amped for this light box post!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) January 18, 2011

It really just takes 30 minutes to cook lentils? I absolutely love them, and have them in the house, but I’ve never cooked them because I was afraid it would take overnight soaking and some elaborate cooking method. But you’re saying that it’s basically no more labor-intensive than rice or quinoa. I am PSYCHED! I will definitely be making lentils this week. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011

I always thought that too until I started cooking with them!

Amalfi Girl January 21, 2011

I just posted about my very first lentil dish (actually I ended up using yellow split peas) and I attributed the inspiration to this post on your blog! Thanks again :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2011

Glad to hear that!

Trish @I_am_Succeeding January 18, 2011

This looks and sounds so good…and I have everything except the celery…but I do have celery seed and salt, so maybe a little of that in its place for the flavor.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011

You can def. get by without any celery- it wasn’t in the original recipe, but I added it in for some texture :)

cathyb.@brightbakes January 18, 2011

I think this soup looks great! and just what the doctor orderd….I’m having a bit of a hard time getting “back on track” after the holidays…this looks perfect…
Thank you!
cathy b.

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 18, 2011

YAY it’s here! and it looks great! I hear ya on homely looking soups though. my split pea soup looked like barf (sorry…) but tasted amazing.

and WOW on the light box pictures. so jealous.

I got my Vita today though so that aught to keep me busy for a while..

x sabine

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 18, 2011

Everyone loves lentils in my house, this soup will be a big hit. I must try the light box trick, my pictures never look even half as good as yours.

Julia(The Veggie Side) January 18, 2011

Oh, this looks so good! I’ve been planning on making split pea soup but now I might have to try this instead!

Allison @ Food For Healing January 18, 2011

your website had a glitch and my comment didn’t post! AH., anyways.

Do you think one could use orange lentils or do you recommend green lentils? should i make the trip to superstore for some green ones? haha

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011

If orange lentils cook the same as red lentils, they don’t retain their shape when cooked, so the soup would definitely change in texture and appearance. I would really miss the ‘chew’ of these green lentils in this soup. I’m sure it would still taste good though…you just might have to play around with the liquid amount.

Jennifer August 9, 2012

Why divide the oil?

Sarah January 18, 2011

Make homemade vegetable stock with the “bad” soup!! Just throw in some more halved/cubed veggies, some seasonings, and boil away. Strain over a mesh sieve, freeze, and you’re good to go! Super nutritious, super delicious, dollars less than store-bought.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011

GREAT IDEA!!!!!!

Cassie January 18, 2011

Looks simple & delicious!
will definitely be making this one soon!

Meesh January 18, 2011

Angela, you are so talented! I love reading your entries, not only do your photographs rock, but you write SO well, it’s always a pleasure to read your entries. This soup looks awesome, I’m definitely going to be trying it soon!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011

Thanks hun!

jenna January 18, 2011

this looks so good. What i love most about your recipes and style of eating is that you use real, simple foods. Stuff people have in their pantry’s and don’t have to run out and buy a bunch of random ingredients! I really hope your cookbook matches this as well. I hate to buy vegan cookbooks (even though i like vegan baking and cooking… i also like cheese though) and they are loaded with soy and random over processed ‘cheese’ and ‘meat’ products. gross.

i can’t wait to make this!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman January 18, 2011

OK, yes, it’s homey. (It reminds me a bit of how split pea soup looks, which in turn reminds me of The Exorcist, which makes me not want to eat it.) However, I trust you and therefore I’ll totally try this.

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life January 18, 2011

I’m so excited to make a lightbox of my own. I got most of the supplies this weekend!

Thanks for the inspiration. I was just eyeing all of the lentils I have stashed in my kitchen and wondering what to do with them. :)

Shanna, like Banana January 18, 2011

For some reason, lentils intimidate me so I never make them, though I should!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 18, 2011

This seems like the PERFECT winter soup!!! And I can’t wait to hear about that light box! I know I have trouble with pictures at night. They turn all orange-yellowy. I’m also using a pretty cheap digital cam, though…that might be the problem. haha

Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) January 18, 2011

So there’s a restaurant here in Cleveland that makes the best Indian spiced lentil soups that I would LOVE LOVE LOVe to make at home. I’m wondering Angela, if your recipe creates a soup with a very strong and distinct Indian flavor (that’s the way I love it) or if yours results in a more mild Indian taste? Thanks!

Courtney @ the granola chronicles January 18, 2011

I have a bag of green lentils in the cupboard just waiting to be used. This is it!

Moni'sMeals January 18, 2011

I am thinking this is lunch today! But we have 80 degree weather so we will see. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 18, 2011

For the record, it is REALLY good cold straight out of the fridge. I had it for breakfast one morning!

Beach Bum Beauty January 18, 2011

It looks really filling and a bit like a stew. It’s great that all your recipes are simple but taste delicious!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 18, 2011

i’m so jealous of everyone and their lightbox! recipe looks so good!

Sarah January 18, 2011

I love lentils and ugly food that tastes yummy :) I wanna curl up with a bowl and a good book!

Nicole January 18, 2011

After reading about the homemade light box on Heather Eats Almond Butter and now your blog, I’m really excited to make my own. I’ve put it off for far too long.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 18, 2011

Not homely one bit! It looks delicious and warming, perfect for a rainy chilly day.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 18, 2011

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan January 18, 2011

I love how you dressed the soup up in the jar and bow to look really cute. I don’t think it looks homely at all! It looks delicious and I want some right now! :-)

Page 1 of 41234»