No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Chews

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 14, 2011

I loved reading your comments on yesterday’s Classic Green Monster post. Finally, I do not feel so alone.

I forgot to tell you, but earlier this week I had a Green Monster photoshoot in my very own kitchen. I was interviewed for a newspaper article a while back and they sent a photographer to do a shoot for the article. The photographer was looking for ideas on what we could do for the shoot and I suggested that I could make a Green Monster in the kitchen…

As soon as I heard myself saying the words ‘Green Monster’, I felt a bit awkward. It can be embarrassing trying to explain to a stranger what a Green Monster is and then convincing them that 1) you are not insane, and 2) You really are older than 8 years old.

But luckily the photographer was excited about the idea went along with the idea out of fear and it was quite fun! Here’s hoping there is not an awkward piece of spinach in my teeth in the photo…

Naturally, on my quest for consuming as much chocolate as humanly possible this week I made a Chocolate Peanut Butter version of these delicious chews.

These Almond Butter Chews were my first attempt…

It was love at first chew.

Not being able to share like proper adults, Eric and I fought over the last chew. We finally agreed on splitting it down the middle.

I cut, he picked.

He got the bigger half. [Insert mad PMS face]

And then Eric begged me to make a chocolate version because he is basically the male version of a PMS monster and will eat chocolate 24/7 if he could. He didn’t really have to twist my arm though…we make a good, chocolate-lovin’ team.

5 Minute Chocolate Peanut Butter Chews

• 1 cup Crisp Rice cereal (I use GF Nature’s Path)
  • 1/4 cup smooth all-natural peanut butter
  • 3 tbsp organic brown rice syrup
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips

Directions: Line a plate with parchment paper. In a medium sized bowl, stir together the peanut butter, brown rice syrup, 2 tbsp chocolate chips, and vanilla extract. Microwave on high for 35-45 seconds. Stir well and immediately add in the 1 tsp cocoa powder. Stir until incorporated. Immediately stir in the rice crisp cereal until all rice crispies are coated.

Wet hands thoroughly and shape the mixture into ‘golf-balls’. Press mixture together firmly into balls so it will hold. Wet hands after each ball is formed so the mixture will not stick to your hands. Place the balls onto parchment paper and freeze for 5 minutes. You can keep these chews in the freezer in a sealed container. Let the chews sit at room temperature for about 5-10 minutes before consuming. This version gets more firm in the freezer than the first version does.

Makes 7 golf-ball sized chews.

Nutritional info: (per large ball, makes 7 balls): 113 kcals, 6 grams fat, 14 grams carbs, 8 grams sugar, 2 grams protein.

The first thing you do is add the brown rice syrup, chocolate chips, vanilla, and peanut butter into a bowl. Stir very well to mix.

Now microwave this mixture for 45-70 seconds, being sure to stop the microwave every 30 seconds to stir. Be very careful not to burn.

If you burn it, you will cry.

Stir in the cocoa powder into the microwaved mixture and now stir in the rice crisp cereal.

Press firmly into balls and place on a plate or small baking sheet lined with parchment. Freeze for about 5-10 minutes.

The Chocolate PB chews harden up much more than the original Almond Butter Chews, I assume because the chocolate hardens when chilled. This version can’t really be eaten straight from the freezer, but they are perfect after sitting on the counter for about 5-10 minutes or so.

I also tried to make a carrot cake version and a banana PB version, but both did not turn out (too much moisture from carrots and banana). I think the carrots and banana would have to be dehydrated for it to stick together.

And if you are feeling really crazy…why not try making a Double Chocolate version by using some homemade Dark Chocolate Almond Butter?  I’m sure that would be incredible!

Ok, I will stop now.

But seriously…make these. They rule.

Happy Friday!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 14, 2011 at 8:51 am

Ohh this version looks so incredibly tasty! Chocolate just makes everything better :)

Leanne @ Simplicitlee January 14, 2011 at 8:57 am

For the previous Almond Butter Chews, I subsituted honey (I used 3 tbsp…eeeek SO sweet!) and next time I’ll definitly be putting only 1 tbsp or so!

These little balls are the perfect pick-me-up when I get tired at work around 2:45 in the afternoon!

These look delicious as well!

Leanne January 14, 2011 at 8:58 am

Damnit! for some reason my old blog was attached to my name on this computer! Aargh!
Fixed now :)

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) January 14, 2011 at 8:58 am

Wow. Chocolate, peanut butter and chew all in the same title? I have to make these!

Gill (snaxandthecity) January 14, 2011 at 8:58 am

I was just sitting here craving something exactly like that….you’re a genius (and a mind reader, clearly) !

Kristy @ KristyRuns January 14, 2011 at 8:59 am

Wow. Now that the roads are thawing out I can finally go stock up on ingredients! Whoo hooo! Looks amazing! I can’t wait to make the chocolate almond butter!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) January 14, 2011 at 9:02 am

AHH these are perfect for me! no bake, pb, chocolate- CHECK!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black January 14, 2011 at 9:03 am

I’m a sucker for anything that will get the combo of pb & chocolate to my mouth quickly! Love anything no-bake. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 14, 2011 at 9:08 am

Congrats on the newspaper article! I’m sure it will turn out great! My Husband loves chocolate too – he dies on the inside if he doesn’t get his homemade chocolate chip cookies every week.

Camille January 14, 2011 at 9:11 am

I definitely feel weird saying “Green Monster” out loud too :) I feel like people think I am talking about Fenway Park.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 14, 2011 at 9:11 am

Congrats on the photo shoot and newspaper article Ange! I can’t wait to see it when it comes out! And this recipe sounds amazing… these wouldn’t last long in my house at all! :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet January 14, 2011 at 9:12 am

You had me at chocolate and peanut butter.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 14, 2011 at 9:12 am

There is no going wrong with chocolate and peanut butter!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers January 14, 2011 at 9:14 am

This look wonderful- a fabulous twist on the traditional no bake oatmeal cookies!

thefruitpursuit (Sabine) January 14, 2011 at 9:17 am

Great combination!

thefruitpursuit (Sabine) January 14, 2011 at 9:19 am

and haha @ the poor photographer ;)

maria @ Chasing the Now January 14, 2011 at 9:21 am

These look too good! I want to try making them soon!

[email protected] January 14, 2011 at 9:22 am

You could make the chocolate one triple chocolate by using the GF Nature’s Path Cocoa Rice Crispies!!! As you can tell, I love chocolate too :)

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl January 14, 2011 at 9:24 am

Yum! I already have everything on-hand except the brown rice syrup…for that reason alone, I think I have reason to make these before lunchtime :)

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston January 14, 2011 at 9:28 am

These looks amazing just like your first chews! Can’t wait to try them and create some of my own chews!

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes January 14, 2011 at 9:28 am

Now that is a recipe that is perfect for a Friday! Chocolate Nut-butter Therapy… no baking required.

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ Sketch-Free Vegan January 14, 2011 at 9:34 am

wow these look oh so chewable! great job!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 14, 2011 at 9:40 am

Sounds great!! Quick question: could you sub in anything for the brown rice syrup?? Maybe Karo?

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 14, 2011 at 9:51 am

I love that your newspaper is going to feature Green Monsters! It’s so cool to get the word out. I’ve taught volunteer cooking classes in schools and we do green smoothies. I call it Green Slime and we get the kids going nuts over them.

I wonder if adding dry coconut to the carrot cake chews would help soak up the moisture?

Katy @ A Healthy Shot January 14, 2011 at 9:57 am

I made these last week when you posted the almond butter version!! (didn’t have almond butter on hand) I bagged them up & took them to the movies instead of shelling out $$ for movie candy. They were to die for, and the boyfriend loved them too :)
Happy Friday!

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 14, 2011 at 9:58 am

These look awesome! I had my first green monster yesterday, it definitely does take a little getting used to. I am going to keep drinking it, its so good for the body, I don’t want to give up so easily.

[email protected] Sweet Life January 14, 2011 at 10:00 am

In a moment of inspiration, I bought some brown rice syrup. Now I know that I use it for–thanks!

Katie January 14, 2011 at 10:01 am

Chocolate and peanut butter is the best creation ever!!! Next to chocolate and coconut! Mmm!!

You crack me up with the PMS talk! My boyfriend last night was on a quest for chocolate (me, I could have gone either way). We had to make an emergency stop at Kroger to get ANYTHING containing chocolate in it. I kept joking with him while walking through the store that he was PMSing and to chill, we’ll get his chocolate fix in soon. ;)

Cathy Breit January 14, 2011 at 10:03 am

a child-hood favorite updated and made healthy…thank you, Angela!
cathy b.

Allison @ Food For Healing January 14, 2011 at 10:06 am

omg i am drooling! those look so tasty, i want i want.

[email protected] January 14, 2011 at 10:13 am

They sound delicious. Everyone in the family would love these!

Alex @ Healing Beauty January 14, 2011 at 10:13 am

Everything you make looks absolutely delicious! You really do have such a talent for cooking, baking, and glowing :)

Trish @I_am_Succeeding January 14, 2011 at 10:14 am

Now I want some…thank you!! =P

Shamima Z. January 14, 2011 at 10:16 am

Thanks so much for the Classic smoothie post yesterday…tried it and loved it. Also helped to put the ingredients into the Vitamix as you recommended. Will be trying your no bake chews this weekend.
Have a super weekend all!!

Alaina January 14, 2011 at 10:18 am

If you mentioned Green Monster (or Monstah) around where I live, they would think you were talking about the big green wall at Fenway Park. :-)

I have GOT to try those chews/balls/whatever they are called. They look like a great on-the-go snack.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 14, 2011 at 10:21 am

Bring on the chocolate balls.

Beach Bum Beauty January 14, 2011 at 10:22 am

Making my mouth water! I love how all your recipes are as calorific as I expect them to be, another recipe I’ll be printing and trying out this weekend then.

Heather (heathers dish) January 14, 2011 at 10:22 am

Note to self :MUST make these this weekend! I am all for the sweet but not too sweet things these days!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 14, 2011 at 10:26 am

Oh boy, these could be dangerous! They’d be gone as quickly as they were made!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 14, 2011 at 10:29 am

Angela you read my mind with these!

I have been posting for awhile about my love love love of rice krispy treats and I made them vegan and GF and also make chocolate frosting for them, sometimes PB choc frosting.

And just the other day I posted about my grandma’s recipe for special K bars which involves brown sugar and karo syrup and may not be health food but i have been dreaming about them since childhood.

I love your no bake balls…you combine everything I love…PB, crunchy treat, chocolate, nobake…and roll it into one happy little ball. I’ll take 2 dozen :)

Lauren January 14, 2011 at 10:29 am

Yum! As soon as I recover from being sick, I’m making these.

Moni'sMeals January 14, 2011 at 10:38 am

easy enough! I have all the ingredients too. :)
Glad I have the husband around so I don’t eat them all!

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) January 14, 2011 at 10:53 am

oh my gosh, I am definitely going to try these soon! They look so delicious and I think I will try using my sunflower seed butter!

Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) January 14, 2011 at 10:55 am

Allison January 14, 2011 at 10:56 am

Okay! No need to convince me!

Ashley January 14, 2011 at 10:57 am

Haha I loovvee chocolate too. Those look so good!

Shanna, like Banana January 14, 2011 at 11:01 am

My hubby would go nuts for these. He’s obsessed with a similar no-bake cookie that uses oats.

Tell Eric, the lady ALWAYS gets the bigger half!

Lana January 14, 2011 at 11:04 am

Loved the green monster story!! lol
Those balls must be good if your already making a second batch!!

Laura @ Starting Out Fit January 14, 2011 at 11:16 am

Yup! these look fantastic! I’m going to make these for my fiance before he gets home tonight, he’ll be so excited! (He snuck basically the whole batch of almond butter chews during the week – I only got 2!)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 14, 2011 at 11:24 am

I love your husband’s chocolate influence! :)

Going to make these today! In fact, I’m going to make them right now (with chocolate, of course!).

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 14, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Done! I fully intended chocoalte, but landed on a cashew butter-lavendar honey-agave combination. So. Good.

My sweet tooth thanks you.

laura January 14, 2011 at 11:27 am

NOM NOM NOM…. damn i don’t have the ingredients… definitely need to try these!

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 14, 2011 at 11:36 am

Gah!!! So delicious! :D

Zestful Lou January 14, 2011 at 11:40 am

Congrats on the newspaper article! That’s awesome! I seriously need to get some rice crisps to make these. They were all out at the store yesterday. :( sad day.

Amber K January 14, 2011 at 11:44 am

That’s why I always make my husband cut, so I can choose. bwah ah ah! ;)

Christabel January 14, 2011 at 11:47 am

Would honey work as well as brown rice syrup? I know the brown rice syrup is better for me but I don’t have any right now.

These look amazing and I can’t wait to try them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2011 at 11:49 am

Yes I think other readers used honey in the first version and it worked :)

Amanda (Eating Up) January 14, 2011 at 11:59 am

These look great, and dangerously simple to make. I could have them all the time!

Amanda @ Just Amanda J January 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I am not at all sure I can trust myself making these…I can eat an entire pan of rice krispy treats myself and there isn’t chocolate involved in those!

Bronwyn Coyne January 14, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Those look soooo good! Yum yum!

LauraJayne January 14, 2011 at 12:18 pm

These look amazing. And delicious. And I can’t wait for lunch!

Catherine January 14, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I made your almond chews (we call them crispy balls, haha) and they are so delicious! My husband loves them, too. I doubled the almond chew batch and they are a perfect treat in the afternoon or after dinner. Will definitely try the chocolate version. My new favorite snack! Oh, and the almond ones stored fine in the fridge.

Amy January 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm

These look delicious!! I’m in the same boat as you are–I’m PMS-ing like crazy and my boyfriend is a huge chocolate fan! I’ve been wanting to make the almond butter ones but I don’t have chunky almond butter, but I have all these ingredients so I’ll have to make some tonight!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2011 at 1:44 pm

its a sign! haha

Ann @ Running With Chopstix January 14, 2011 at 1:07 pm

How do you read my mind?! I was having a massive chocolate craving yesterday so I can’t wait to make these!

Sara January 14, 2011 at 1:20 pm

You evil girl!! I was that PMS monster today and was drooling over this pb chocolate fudge recipe this morning and then I read your post. Much healthier! Not to mention faster and easier, and makes less, so I don’t over indulge. I used raw cacao powder and added some chia seeds to feel healthier. :) Thanks! Super yum!

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh January 14, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Your Green Monsters are amazing! CONGRATS on your photo shoot! And these balls of goodness make me hungry! I can’t wait to whip up some of your chocolate almond butter =]

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 14, 2011 at 1:49 pm

You’re definitely a Chocolate Queen! ;)

Salah (My Healthiest LIfestyle) January 14, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I’ll chew on those :-) great recipe girl!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 14, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Yet again another tasty treat! You two are such a cute chocolate loving couple :)

Natalia - a side of simple January 14, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Don’t stop! Why would you stop? You can never have too much chocolate. Bring on the Dark Chocolate Almond Butter!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 14, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Yum! Great recipe. I love my chocolate and peanut butter so these would do the trick for both cravings!

Candice @ChiaSeedMe January 14, 2011 at 2:48 pm

These look awesome Angela – must get some brown rice syrup asap! Have a great weekend!

Roz January 14, 2011 at 3:00 pm

These look amazing. And yay you for getting interviewed!!! I’m sure the green monster will look fantastic in print! have a good day!!

Ellie January 14, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Haha, my boyfriend LOVES chocolate too! And we can both go a little crazy over PEANUTBUTTER+CHOCOLATE when it’s paired together. Today I made really dark chocolate sunflower butter cups and they were so good! I surprised myself hehehe. Have a blessed day dear Ange~oh, and how’s the grampa doing?

Tracey January 14, 2011 at 3:28 pm

These sound awesome! I can’t figure out which version to try. Guess I’ll have to make both!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 14, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Holy yum! I love any excuse to eat chocolate;)

Alicia January 14, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I just made these! I didn’t have cocoa powder but they were still great and I used 1 tablespoon of honey and then 2 of the syrup. I also used rice krispies cereal, I’m traveling this weekend and these will be the PERFECT snack! Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm

glad you like them!

Allison January 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I was going to make your 5 min almond chews and then saw these this morning. A healthier version of no bake cookies- yes please! Also GF, vegan and no butter (ich!) You are awesome :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 14, 2011 at 5:42 pm

How cool that you were interviewed by a newspaper! I hope you post the article! ;)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 14, 2011 at 5:54 pm

These seem like a mix between Star Crunches and No Bkae cookies- my two favorite!!!

Hannah January 14, 2011 at 6:03 pm

*giggle* I printed this post before I even read it. That’s how much faith I have in your chocolatey abilities! :P

Christine (The Raw Project) January 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm

This looks perfect after the kind of week I’ve had. Thanks!

Jenna @Eating Green, Staying Lean January 14, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Haha, this is awesome. All I’ve wanted this week are chocolatey/peanut buttery things (PMS…) and I’ve been eating myself FULL of them. This will definitely be on the list of things to make this weekend…

…and I even have choc/PB chocolate chips :)

Meesh January 14, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Angela, you never cease to amaze me with what you come up with! I really want to make these :) like, right NOW haha

Heather January 14, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Amazing recipe Angela! I ran out of peanutbutter so I used sunflower butter and the boys loved it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011 at 10:37 am

great idea!

Lou January 14, 2011 at 7:43 pm

wow that looks yummeh. thank you so much!

Ashley January 14, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Dark chocolate is seriously one of my favorite things! I’m going out to buy the ingredients for this recipe right now:)

Jen January 14, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Ha! When I made your original almond butter chew, I added the chocolate chips, which melted and well, then I essentially made these. Amazing!
Lady, I’m so excited for your cookbook. There is nary a recipe of yours that I have tried that has been bad.

[email protected] January 14, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Those look so delicious and incredibly easy to make!

Zestful Lou January 14, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I too am in a “I need sweets and I need them now” kinda mood. I really wanted to make these today but I couldn’t bring myself to go all the way to the store to buy rice crisps so I came up with little bite sized apple butter pumpkin pies. They are sooooo yummy and pack quite the healthy punch as well. They will be up on my blog tomorrow!

[email protected] January 15, 2011 at 7:24 am

I happen to have all fo those ingredients in my pantry now, except for the brown rice syrup. HMM I think I need to add that to my grocery list so I can make these ASAP. Thanks for all of the wonderful, healthy recipes!

Danielle January 15, 2011 at 9:25 am

Awesome that Green Monsters will make a newspaper appearance! Yay for spreading the word!

Tine January 15, 2011 at 9:47 am

Great snack!
Have to make these!

Charlie January 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm

These chews look so good!

Meesh January 15, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I just made these and they ROCK!

Ashley January 17, 2011 at 12:35 am

I made these tonight and they were amazing! I ended up using all-natural crunchy peanut butter and Kashi puff rice cereal– soo good! Thank you for the recipe!

Brynne January 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

These are SO delicious! I love having them on hand in the freezer whenever chocolate becomes necessary. I rolled half of mine in flaxseed meal and half in chia seeds. :)

Mindy January 19, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Oh. my. goodness! These are awesome! I added a little sunflower butter in mine. These are going to cause a problem for me to have around!! I like the idea of adding flaxseed meal and chia seeds for an added bonus. thanks for sharing!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 19, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Great additions! :) Glad you like them. I love the idea of using an ice cream scooper…so much more refined than my method haha

Mindy January 19, 2011 at 1:46 pm

p.s. I used an ice cream scooper to shape and it worked great.

Paije January 20, 2011 at 12:18 am

I just made these and they are SOOOOO GOOOOOOD!! I made a smores version with graham cracker crumbs, vegan marshmallows and vegan chocolate chips and a white chocolate version with white chocolate wonderful peanut butter, puffed quinoa and white chocolate and peanut butter chips! Love them :)

Jennifer January 20, 2011 at 7:39 pm

These are so good. So. Good. I used what I had in the house and I think that I can get my kids to throw one down for a quick breakfast since they both don’t ever want to eat breakfast. PB and Cereal, it could be worse :) Please keep trying to get some with fruit or veg in them. I would be forever grateful!

Erika January 25, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Hi there, I went to stores looking for the Nature’s Path cereal but they did not have it. So I bought arrowhead mills puffed rice cereal. is this the same thing or will it not turn out the same. Is an equivalent of what you used like Rice Krispies cereal? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Hi Erika, Puffed rice is not the same (it is much larger than crisp rice I think). Im not sure it would hold together or not.

Carine January 31, 2011 at 7:24 am

Another great recipe, THANKS A LOT! the problem for me now is quality control….haha.

Madison @Veggieful April 15, 2012 at 5:54 am

Yummmm! These look delicious!

E.R August 4, 2012 at 8:39 pm

These are so versatile! Thanks for the great recipe. I made a few versions to stick in the freezer. I used raw honey and they held together just fine. I used an ice cream scoop to make the ball, and stuck a whole almond in the middle. I rolled them in coconut too. They are awesome!

Sooz August 11, 2012 at 3:11 am

Ok after making the banana oat bars about 5 times in a row, I forced myself to try another recipe (those oat bars are just soooo good!)…and omgosh these are wickedly good!!

Cynthia September 6, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I read this after just telling my grandma, “Watch out for my green monster in the fridge.” It took some explaining. haha =) A warning to sugar addicts about these here chews: Beware ;). These are as completely fabulous as Angela’s non-treat recipes, so you really do need willpower if you are dieting. Having forgotten to take that into consideration & having been such an angel on my diet lately thanks to this awesome website… and truly thinking I would make these last a week… I ate them ALL but one today. These just aren’t bland like some of the health food varieties that I can let sit around & ignore. They CALLED me from the freezer, and I was unprepared to not indulge… lol The good news: Grandma ate the other one & is now sold on my new healthy diet. Thank you, Angela, for sharing so many of your amazing recipes and your inspiring story. Aside from my little adventure today, I have had a major diet transformation since stumbling upon your site and have felt like a million bucks after being sick for long time. I really do glow now, literally. You have helped make a difference in health and in my life! You are a beautiful, wonderful person, and I love how your personality & passion shine through in all you do! =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 7, 2012 at 7:22 am

Cynthia it’s so nice to meet you! Your comment is so kind yet hilarious all at the same time…yes those chews do hold a magical power. Goodluck with the rest of your goals!

LORETTA September 22, 2012 at 8:15 am

Vicki October 2, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Just made these with a couple of substitutions…. I was out of peanut butter and my grocery store was closed and the local organics store was open but also out of peanut butter. So, I bought some “Amazon Jungle Peanuts” and turned them into peanut butter with my food processor… hmm, I think they needed to be roasted first as the peanut butter tastes a lot like peas, and not the small sweet kind. Also, I don’t like brown rice syrup, so I substituted Agave Nectar. That was a good sub, though I will use less next time as it’s too sweet with 3 tablespoons. Getting more PB tomorrow, so am looking forward to trying the recipe again. They taste pretty good as is, but I’m sure they will taste better with different PB. Thanks for the great recipe!!

Kristen January 31, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I love your blog. I just found it on Saturday and have made so many recipes…all of them being really good! I took this a little step further and rolled them in a dusting of ground flaxseed…my boys loved them!! Thanks for what you do for all of us!

Tania April 11, 2013 at 6:58 am

These are addicting! I make these almost every other day. I’m not vegan (yet!) and I have a huge sweet tooth and these satisfy my cravings without any artificial ingredients. Soooo yummy!

Bessie December 7, 2013 at 4:13 pm

These were absolutely delicious! Next time I will make them when I am alone in the house, so I don’t have to share! :-)

Alexia December 17, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Thank you! These are so easy to make and so yummy! My Gran loved them so much she wanted a batch for her Birthday! :D

Jennifer B.T. January 14, 2014 at 2:03 pm

The only time my daughter craves chocolate is when she’s pms-ing. I’m adding this to the list to make this month! I’m going to try agave nectar because I have it. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

yum yum July 1, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I think adding coconut oil would help the almond butter ones firm up better. I will gve it a try and let you know!

Christina September 29, 2014 at 8:44 am

These are so delicious. I was looking for a quick choco/pb bar to make and these hit the spot.

Kelly August 3, 2015 at 6:48 pm

These are the best ever! Thanks Angela. They won’t make it through the day. Think I’m going to have to start tripling the recipe!

Daniela September 11, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Would it work if you substituted maple syrup instead of rice syrup?