My Most-Used Kitchen Tools

Thanks so much for your well wishes for my Grandpa this morning! I will be sure to pass along your kind words. Oh were the tears flowing when my mom read through the comments…she was very touched.

I thought it would be fun to change it up a little today and show you some of my most-used kitchen tools. They are tried, tested, and true and I find myself using most of them on a daily basis, or just about. All of the following items have been purchased by myself or were gifts from family members, just in case you were wondering if this was some kind of sketchy product placement or something!

My Most-Used Kitchen Tools

1) The Cookbook Stand.

IMG_8698

I don’t know how I ever got by without my cookbook stand! I would say that 90% of the cookbooks I own do not lay flat on the counter, making this stand very helpful when following a recipe. For many years I used to wedge my cookbooks under heavy objects only to have them come flying up and close on me. Then I discovered that I could buy a cookbook stand for about $6 and it would not only hold my book upright, but it would also protect the pages from stains. Score. There are a wide array of cookbook stands on the market to suit every budget and need. I think I purchased this at Benix & Co., but you can also find nice Bamboo ones at Indigo, among other places.

2) Spurtle

IMG_8713

I’ve been kicking it old school with my awesome Spurtle. A spurtle is a Scottish stirring stick often used for stirring oatmeal, porridge, and soup. I have grown quite fond of using it when I make oatmeal! You can find this Spurtle at Lee Valley for under $5.

3) Bamboo Spoon

IMG_8673

I use my Bamboo spoon the most when making soups, stews, sauces, and chili. I purchased this Bamboo spoon at Crate & Barrel. For some odd reason, I find it very comforting.

IMG_8677

4) Pink Spatula

IMG_8682

I use this spatula every single day in my kitchen. It is highly flexible, durable, and great for scraping down the side of a bowl. I got it at Goulda’s Kitchen.

5) Microplane Zester

IMG_8688

I tend to zest a lot of citrus fruits and the Microplane zester never lets me down. It has a super long blade that grates in both directions for quick zesting and it is also useful for shaving chocolate, spices (like cinnamon sticks or nutmeg), and cheese too.

IMG_8684

6) My Cookbook Collection

IMG_8695

My favourite cookbooks are never far from reach and I often find myself leafing through the pages on the couch at night or whenever I am looking for recipe inspiration. I hope to do a post on my favourite cookbooks in the near future too.

7) Spoon Stand

IMG_8692

First the cookbooks need a stand and now the damn spoon too?! Why, yes they do. If you happen to bake with a lot of sticky or syrupy liquids (think- brown rice syrup), a spoon stand is very helpful for containing the mess. I use my spoon stand everyday in the bakery. You can purchase this one at Benix & Co.

8.) The Vita-Mix

IMG_8664

I’ve often said that I have two children: Sketchie and my Vita-Mix.

Actually, I never say that, but I think I might start.

After 2 years of Green Monster making, I finally saved up enough to buy myself a Vita-Mix. The price tag surely hurts, but I didn’t regret my purchase for a minute and I use it 6-7 days a week. I also occasionally bring it for walks in the backyard.

I was also happy to find that it *just* fit underneath my cabinet…

IMG_8668

9) Mixing Bowls

IMG_8697

Pretty mixing bowls make me one happy baker. I am very fond of the large mixing bowl on the right that was originally Eric’s grandma’s bowl. I buy bright and colourful kitchen tools whenever possible because they really do make the experience more enjoyable!

10) Bodum Loose Leaf Tea Pot

IMG_8701

I have gushed about my love for this Bodum Loose Leaf tea pot many times and my love for it continues to grow. It represents a calming daily ritual in my life. The Rudolph cup, from Whole Foods, gets an honourable mention too. It will carry me through until Spring!

11) A Chef’s Mat

IMG_8704

A gift from my mother-in-law, this Chef’s Mat has eliminated the horrible heel pain that I used to suffer from after spending long hours on the slate floor. The Chef’s mat is very soft with a gel-like interior and I always make sure to stand on it whenever I am spending long days in the kitchen. You can find this Chef’s mat at Costco.

12) Silpat

IMG_8708

I received this Silpat at Christmas and it has quickly become one of my favourite kitchen tools that I own. It is amazing for a non-stick surface when rolling dough or lining a baking sheet.

13) Kitchenaid Stand Mixer

IMG_8663

The Kitchenaid stand mixer lives up to its stellar reputation and more. I even polished off the flour just for this photo shoot!

14) Water & Vinegar and Eco-cleaners

IMG_8712

One of my goals last year was to stop buying cleaners filled with harsh chemicals. I have been testing a bunch of eco-friendly products and I really enjoy not having to breathe in a bunch of chemicals when I clean. I am very fond of water and vinegar too. It is the only thing I use to clean my hardwood floors.

15) Mason/Bell Jars

IMG_8670

Mason jars are cropping up just about everywhere these days and for a good reason- they are highly functional and country chic. I love filling my jars with nuts, chia seeds, and granola, using them for smoothies, foodie gifts, and even as pen holders at my desk. The options are endless! Mason jars are also a great way to cut back on all that plastic. I purchased a dozen one-litre jars for about $10 at Canadian Tire.

16) Wusthof knives

IMG_7703_thumb

My heart went all a flutter for these Wusthof knives- a 20cm Chef’s knife and a 9cm paring knife have made my life much easier.

You are probably surprised not to see any measuring cups on my list. While I use measuring cups daily, I am still on a quest for the perfect set of measuring cups. Any suggestions?

What are your favourite kitchen tools? Anything on your wish list?

Page 4 of 4«1234
Kieran April 6, 2017

Nice post – I’m stealing some of those. The Silpat looks really useful!

Mary Charette July 30, 2016

Hi Angela,
Thank you for all of the great recipes and inspiration. I have been thinking about finally investing in a Vitamin BUT as I have been doing the research, I keep coming up with articles about the teflon “black dots”. I trust you, so I wondered if you have any thoughts and or information about this issue.
Thanks so much :)
Mary

Jade Brunet July 19, 2016

I have had a little more time on my hands lately and am really wanting to become a better cook. To pursue this desire, I am going to need the right equipment. Thank you for your article about the most used kitchen tools. I especially love the idea of a spoon stand. This would help me not to misplace the spoon while keeping the counters clean. Thanks again for the information.

Angela Liddon July 19, 2016

So glad you found it helpful, Jade!

Lindsay November 10, 2015

I love the All Clad measuring cups and spoons. They are stainless steel and the best part is that they come in both standard and odd sizes. The little measuring cups can even be used directly on the stove like a tiny saucepan!

Wendy Arleen July 30, 2015

Great post!
I have most of what you listed and I know what you mean by wooden spoons and mixing bowls make you feel good. My go to bowl is an oversized stainless steel. A big bowl just feels right even for small amounts.

connie January 6, 2015

I love your kitchen tools list. I have the breville sous chef food processor. It is expensive, but worth the money.

Tina October 29, 2014

Hi Angela,

I am stuck with having to purchase a food processor and a blender… I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know the difference! Could I just rely on a good blender? Or should I have both.

Nancy August 31, 2014

My favourite two kitchen things are my Blentech Blender with the Twister Jar (nut butters in minutes…about 2 for cashew butter) and my Breville Food Processor…Man I love the FP…

Nancy

Amy August 26, 2014

Great info. Btw, the spoon looks like an Olivewood spoon instead of Bamboo. Bamboo tends to have a finer “grain”. I have a bunch of olivewood utensils and I love them!

Claudia July 22, 2014

This is an older post, so you’ve probably already found a good set of measuring cups. In case you haven’t yet, I highly recommend the ones from Lee Valley. I got them years ago and love them to this day. There’s a good review of them at http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-measuring-cups/

Spent the weekend with a friend who recently got your cookbook for her birthday. We made two recipes that turned out awesome (the nacho recipe and that savoury oatmeal/lentil dish) and drooled over the rest. I intend to pick up my own copy, I’m such a fan!

Summer June 17, 2013

Hello Angela:

Thanks for the post. I have a question for you, I want to buy my first vitamix blender. But don’t know where is the best place I should get it. I live in ontario. Did you get yours from amazon or costco? can you recommend a place for me? any specific models?

Cheers

Summer

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

Hi Summer, I purchased it directly from their website. I’ve heard that Costco does VM “tours” with discounted prices, so that is probably a great option. I think you can ask them to find out when they are coming to your city! Good luck.

Roya May 12, 2013

Hi Angela,

Your recipes are quite inspiring. I was wondering, what model of food processor by cuisinart do you currently use? Can it be used to make nut butters and ice cream by chance? How happy are you with it?

I am eager to make some good homemade pesto sauces, make your vegan lasagna with basil cashew cheeze, perhaps icecream and nut butters- so I cannot wait to purchase my very first food processor!

Thanks for the help,
Roya

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2013

Hi Roya, I have a 12-cup or 14-cup Cuisinart processor (sorry I can’t remember which size, but it’s huge – maybe a bit TOO large). I use it for nut butter all the time! I don’t think it can be used for ice cream, but I do make banana soft serve with it (processing frozen bananas) good luck!

Roya May 13, 2013

Thank you! By chance do you remember the model name?
Thanks again! :)

Julia February 17, 2013

Darling, you’ll never need volumetric measuring cups ever again if you invest in a kitchen scale. A decent one won’t set you back more than $20 (check Amazon’s list of top 100 kitchen supplies). I saw your list of most-used kitchen tools; like you, I also use my Kitchenaid stand mixer, Silpat, bamboo mixing spoon and other close friends on a daily basis. But first and foremost, I use my scale. Plus, it really cuts back on the dishes you have to wash afterwards!

Barbara January 17, 2013

Love the Chef’s Mat and I’m definitely going to hunt that down! My favorite kitchen tool is my ceramic knife – my son got it for me last year and I don’t know how I ever did without it. It also doesn’t transfer metal so fruit and avocados don’t turn brown!!!! At least not nearly as quickly. I love my ceramic knife AND peeler – they’re awesome.

Yani August 2, 2012

Where did you get that big straw that is in all your smoothie pictures? Do you feel you drink the “thicker” smoothies easier?!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

Hey Yani, It’s from a company called Glass D’harma (they have a website online). I got it a few years ago and LOVE love love it. I use it every single day.

Sue July 4, 2012

I’ve been using a (small) food processer since April to make the banana soft serve for my husband who is dairy intolerant (along with rice, almonds, eggs, gluten, etc)) ..So I want to get a bigger machine. Can a vitamix make the banana soft serve, without adding any liquid to start?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2012

I’m not sure Sue. I always use my food processor. I havent had too much luck with my vitamix when the liquids are low.

Sue July 4, 2012

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to buy just one (more:) machine.. but
it’s got to be able to do a lot of soft serve. Thanks again.

Michelle January 18, 2011

Hi Angela,

I absolutely love your blog. In fact, I find your spirit invigorating! I am just wondering how you clean your wooden utensils (bamboo spoon and such). Also, I think that we have the same idea of fabulous kitchen utensils. My fiance and I just got a set of Wustof knives for Christmas and absolutely love them. I am also dying to get a vitamix, but settle for using my mom’s.

I am also like you when it comes to cleaners; vinegar and water the whole way. I was wondering if you have heard of the book “Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda.” It has tons of different formulas and solutions for cleaning. And if you want a nice scent, you can just add a few drops of essential oils.

All the best!

Jackie Smith January 17, 2011

Perfect measuring cups: Hoffritz metal! I’ve had mine for 8 years; they don’t rust or bend, and they have a tiny pour spout, too. http://www.amazon.com/Hoffritz-4-Piece-Stainless-Steel-Measuring-Cups/dp/B00004RHQ8

Gina January 12, 2011

My boyfriend and I love cooking/baking. I got him a new All Clad 6qt saute pan and a new 12-in non-stick from Emeril, but what he loves the most is the double burner reversible griddle/grill, which is cast iron and also by Emeril. I gave him a Lodge cast iron press with it and I think we use it almost every day! He got me a new Cuisinart 12 cup Die Cast food processor that I am in love with! I also use it almost every day, I even create recipes around using it!! A few other notable items he got me that I love are a new silpat, marble rolling pin (AMAZING) and a sifter (which I have yet to use!) Even my mom got us a new kitchen tool…a new pizza stone that we’ve already used twice! I love kithchen gadgets!

Laura January 12, 2011

I’m on the same mission to find good measuring cups so if you come across a good find, please post!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2011

I am going to buy these ones after looking at a bunch of suggestions:

currently out of stock I think! :(

Kelly January 11, 2011

Love posts like this! There are many things on your list that are on my “need to buy list”. My recommendation for measuring cups is for Paderno! I just got a set of stainless steel measuring cups for Christmas and I love them so far (similar to this: http://www.paderno.com/us/products.php?catID=7&subID=42&pID=563#).

The Robertsons of Mumbai January 11, 2011

So funny to see that spurtle on the list! My husband is from Scotland and we use one as well. It is a tradition at Scottish weddings for a small child to present the bride with a spurtle (a sign of what is to come – cooking as a ‘good wife’ – lol!), and we had my nephew give me one when we got married.

Autumn Tao January 11, 2011

For me, the wooden spoon is also comforting. It makes me feel rustic in my modern kitchen, somehow connected and bonded to all the women who cooked before me… tied to the past. It helps me appreciate the art of cooking the long history of the craft. Woman power!

Allie January 11, 2011

New reader here. I love that you have hot pink kitchen tools! I also love that I have found your blog. I am just starting my own healthy lifestyle journey, and I am excited to get tips from your blog. :)

Tracey January 11, 2011

I absolutely want a cookbook stand! However, upon first glance I thought the page you had your cookbook open to said “beef” bundt cake and I got grossed out for a second and then realized it said “beet”. Haha! I like the list of products and want many of them!

Beth January 11, 2011

Spurtle? Never heard of it, but love it already. What a great idea. Might have to swing by Lee Valley now ;)

Spoon stand, eh? Looks like a great idea. Especially for my hubby who is the chef in our house. He is constantly leaving the spoon, spatula, and flipper all over the stove top and counters. Lucky for me he is an amazing chef :)

Chef’s Mat? Another great find here in your list. Will look for it on my next trip to Costco.

I’m also a big fan of water & vinegar as cleaners. Keep a spray bottle in the kitchen & bathrooms. Hydrogen Peroxide 3% is another good one.

Melissa January 11, 2011

I love this post!! I am drooling over the kitchenaid mixer and vitamix…two purchases I hope to save up for this year.

I’m definitely off to the store to pick up that spoon holder and possibly that bodum loose leaf tea pot:)

Thanks for sharing!!

Linds January 11, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write my Christmas list for 2011 :)

Tami Eaton January 11, 2011

I love peering into other peoples kitchens. I like to get ideas for organization. I love mason jars also, I have been storing alot of items (ie coconut, hemp seeds, nuts, farro, etc) in mason jars in the freezer and it looks so neat and tidy, and they are kept fresher. I am still struggling with the pantry. I would love to see how you organize your pantry.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011

My pantry currently looks like a bomb went off..tee hee. I too need organization. Maybe a goal for 2011!

Lisa January 11, 2011

That spoon stand is a really cool thing! I really want a Kitchenaid Mxer soooooo bad!