My Most-Used Kitchen Tools

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 10, 2011

Thanks so much for your well wishes for my Grandpa this morning! I will be sure to pass along your kind words. Oh were the tears flowing when my mom read through the comments…she was very touched.

I thought it would be fun to change it up a little today and show you some of my most-used kitchen tools. They are tried, tested, and true and I find myself using most of them on a daily basis, or just about. All of the following items have been purchased by myself or were gifts from family members, just in case you were wondering if this was some kind of sketchy product placement or something!

My Most-Used Kitchen Tools

1) The Cookbook Stand.

IMG_8698

I don’t know how I ever got by without my cookbook stand! I would say that 90% of the cookbooks I own do not lay flat on the counter, making this stand very helpful when following a recipe. For many years I used to wedge my cookbooks under heavy objects only to have them come flying up and close on me. Then I discovered that I could buy a cookbook stand for about $6 and it would not only hold my book upright, but it would also protect the pages from stains. Score. There are a wide array of cookbook stands on the market to suit every budget and need. I think I purchased this at Benix & Co., but you can also find nice Bamboo ones at Indigo, among other places.

2) Spurtle

IMG_8713

I’ve been kicking it old school with my awesome Spurtle. A spurtle is a Scottish stirring stick often used for stirring oatmeal, porridge, and soup. I have grown quite fond of using it when I make oatmeal! You can find this Spurtle at Lee Valley for under $5.

3) Bamboo Spoon

IMG_8673

I use my Bamboo spoon the most when making soups, stews, sauces, and chili. I purchased this Bamboo spoon at Crate & Barrel. For some odd reason, I find it very comforting.

IMG_8677

4) Pink Spatula

IMG_8682

I use this spatula every single day in my kitchen. It is highly flexible, durable, and great for scraping down the side of a bowl. I got it at Goulda’s Kitchen.

5) Microplane Zester

IMG_8688

I tend to zest a lot of citrus fruits and the Microplane zester never lets me down. It has a super long blade that grates in both directions for quick zesting and it is also useful for shaving chocolate, spices (like cinnamon sticks or nutmeg), and cheese too.

IMG_8684

6) My Cookbook Collection

IMG_8695

My favourite cookbooks are never far from reach and I often find myself leafing through the pages on the couch at night or whenever I am looking for recipe inspiration. I hope to do a post on my favourite cookbooks in the near future too.

7) Spoon Stand

IMG_8692

First the cookbooks need a stand and now the damn spoon too?! Why, yes they do. If you happen to bake with a lot of sticky or syrupy liquids (think- brown rice syrup), a spoon stand is very helpful for containing the mess. I use my spoon stand everyday in the bakery. You can purchase this one at Benix & Co.

8.) The Vita-Mix

IMG_8664

I’ve often said that I have two children: Sketchie and my Vita-Mix.

Actually, I never say that, but I think I might start.

After 2 years of Green Monster making, I finally saved up enough to buy myself a Vita-Mix. The price tag surely hurts, but I didn’t regret my purchase for a minute and I use it 6-7 days a week. I also occasionally bring it for walks in the backyard.

I was also happy to find that it *just* fit underneath my cabinet…

IMG_8668

9) Mixing Bowls

IMG_8697

Pretty mixing bowls make me one happy baker. I am very fond of the large mixing bowl on the right that was originally Eric’s grandma’s bowl. I buy bright and colourful kitchen tools whenever possible because they really do make the experience more enjoyable!

10) Bodum Loose Leaf Tea Pot

IMG_8701

I have gushed about my love for this Bodum Loose Leaf tea pot many times and my love for it continues to grow. It represents a calming daily ritual in my life. The Rudolph cup, from Whole Foods, gets an honourable mention too. It will carry me through until Spring!

11) A Chef’s Mat

IMG_8704

A gift from my mother-in-law, this Chef’s Mat has eliminated the horrible heel pain that I used to suffer from after spending long hours on the slate floor. The Chef’s mat is very soft with a gel-like interior and I always make sure to stand on it whenever I am spending long days in the kitchen. You can find this Chef’s mat at Costco.

12) Silpat

IMG_8708

I received this Silpat at Christmas and it has quickly become one of my favourite kitchen tools that I own. It is amazing for a non-stick surface when rolling dough or lining a baking sheet.

13) Kitchenaid Stand Mixer

IMG_8663

The Kitchenaid stand mixer lives up to its stellar reputation and more. I even polished off the flour just for this photo shoot!

14) Water & Vinegar and Eco-cleaners

IMG_8712

One of my goals last year was to stop buying cleaners filled with harsh chemicals. I have been testing a bunch of eco-friendly products and I really enjoy not having to breathe in a bunch of chemicals when I clean. I am very fond of water and vinegar too. It is the only thing I use to clean my hardwood floors.

15) Mason/Bell Jars

IMG_8670

Mason jars are cropping up just about everywhere these days and for a good reason- they are highly functional and country chic. I love filling my jars with nuts, chia seeds, and granola, using them for smoothies, foodie gifts, and even as pen holders at my desk. The options are endless! Mason jars are also a great way to cut back on all that plastic. I purchased a dozen one-litre jars for about $10 at Canadian Tire.

16) Wusthof knives

IMG_7703_thumb

My heart went all a flutter for these Wusthof knives- a 20cm Chef’s knife and a 9cm paring knife have made my life much easier.

You are probably surprised not to see any measuring cups on my list. While I use measuring cups daily, I am still on a quest for the perfect set of measuring cups. Any suggestions?

What are your favourite kitchen tools? Anything on your wish list?

Cathy Breit January 10, 2011 at 8:11 pm

love the list…I rely on a lot of the same items…but I really need to invest in a cookbook holder…i can identify all too well with the “wedging a book under something heavy” scenario! :(
can’t wait to see your “favorite cookbooks” list soon!
love,
cathy b. @ brightbakes

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 10, 2011 at 8:11 pm

A ton of your favorites are mine too! I could not live without my kitchenaid mixer or pretty mixing bowls! I also lived without a spoon stand for a few months – NEVER AGAIN!

I’m reeeally needing a cookbook stand!

[email protected] January 10, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Hey Angela,

Love this post, and seeing your great tools.
I have completely taken chemicals out of the house and recently discovered amazing products from Norwex (www.norwex.com). My cleaning time has been cut in half, the cloths for cleaning the windows/mirrors are amazing and never leave a single streak.
No, I don’t work for them or have any association with the, just thought I would share!

I really want to get a cookbook stand too, but was never sure I’d use it much. Sounds like you use yours a ton, so I think I’ll get one soon!

Hope your Grandfather is doing better, glad to hear it’s looking up!
Rachel

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 9:52 am

Thanks! I will also check our Norwex :)

jen @ taste life January 10, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I am drooling with envy over your kitchen tools! I do have a Vitamix, so I’m super happy about that, but I would love some of the other stuff you have. No suggestions on the measuring cups – mine are just lame plastic ones. I want nice metal ones.

Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 10, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I basically need ALL of your list! Especially the chef’s mat. My feet hurt most nights after standing in the kitchen for so long!

Picky Nicky January 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Wow that little wooden stirring stick thingy looks like so much fun :P And I wish I had a chef’s mat too! No wonder you love being in the kitchen so much, you have all these adorable tools!!

Kristy @ KristyRuns January 10, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Thank you for opening my eyes to the spurtle! Never seen/heard of it. :) Where do you find these things?!?!

Gotta admit. The VitaMix is amazing. A day doesn’t go by that I don’t use mine.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 9:52 am

It is from Lee Valley :) And makes fluffy oats…I love it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 9:53 am

voila! http://www.leevalley.com/en/gifts/page.aspx?c=&p=58550&cat=4,104,53214&ap=1

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan January 10, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I need a cookbook stand like that. I always end up trying to balance two heavy cans on each side of the cookbook. It doesn’t work very well. :-(

One of my favorite pastimes is lounging on the couch, looking through my vegan cookbooks. And if I’m not at home, I’m at the bookstore perusing their selection.

Jenn L January 10, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Oh man… I NEED those knives! so badly! I’m waiting until mine kick the bucket.

and this is a perfect reminder that i’m supposed to pick up a spoon rest/stand next time i’m out1 Thanks! This was uber helpful =)

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Jenna @ Eating Green, Staying Lean January 10, 2011 at 8:27 pm

This is a great post! I’ve never heard of a spurtle before, but you can be sure that an AVID oatmeal maker and lover like me will definitely be purchasing one in the near future, as well as a spatula/spoon stand. Awesome ideas.

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf January 10, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I love my OXO measuring cups, but really I don’t know the difference between a good set and a poor set. Mine are stainless steel and pretty, therefore are better in my mind than plastic measuring cups. Stainless steel > plastic, yes.

'becca January 10, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Chemex, my rainbow wooden spoon is my favorite, but it goes w/ a slew of other wooden/bamboo spoons I’ve purchased from art fairs over the years, tongs, KitchenAid stand mixer, Le Creuset dutch & french oven & pumpkin shaped pot, silpat, jars & more jars, cookbook stand (It’s actually a stand for a Bible or Koran, please forgive me if this is offensive to you, i’m a deeply spiritual person and have used it for my Bible at times, but it’s simply beautiful and was a gift from a friend and i love it.), blendtec, and my hands for measuring & mixing, colorful set of ceramic knives & cutting boards (1 specifically for garlic & onion cutting and another for everything else).
After looking at your list I now need/want a spurtle. Thanks for sharing, what a fun post.

Christina January 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I’m totally in love with this post! I love the spoon stand and I’m in need of a cookbook stand like crazy! Hopefully I’ll be able to get everything on this list soon, well maybe not everything lol

Leanne @healthfulpursuit January 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I have never seen a spoon stand!

My problem is that I use about 20 spoons when I cook something. I always misplace the spoon and in a rush, just grab another one! If I had a stand… maybe I would avoid all that dish washing afterward.

A spoon stand. That is what I want. Brilliant! (and totally agree with you on the Vitamix. I’ve had mine for 5 years and I use it at least 3 times a day)

Bridget January 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Someone’s got a major case of vitamix jealousy (aka….ME!)

I seriously need to get my hands on one of those mighty machines! Someday…..

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 10, 2011 at 8:40 pm

A lot of these are my faves too, however I love my pasta pot as I use it to steam veggies quite often! It is huge and fits an abundant amount of greens :)

I have that second child of yours on my wish list!! Very soon baby!

xxoo

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 9:54 am

What is a pasta pot Kris>? Im intrigued…

Amy January 11, 2011 at 11:06 am

A pasta pot is a really deep pot that has a strainer that sits in it. So when you finish cooking your pasta you just pull out the strainer. I love mine. I also love my Wok.

Jessica January 10, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Totally agree on many of these… I would add our tea kettle and coffee maker (this makes me seem like a caffeine-addict! I promise, I’m not :))… we are also getting into cast iron items more and more as well. Happy Monday!

wendy (healthy girl's kitchen) January 10, 2011 at 8:44 pm

My Vita Mix is absolutely positively my favorite kitchen tool. I use it at least once and day and up tp 4 times a day on the weekends. I can’t imagine life without it anymore and when I am away from it (trips and stuff) I cry. Boo-hoo!

Alaina January 10, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I just got some bamboo spoons for christmas and a food processor! I’m very excited to use both. :-)

Therese January 10, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Love the list! I’m saving for my Kitchen Aid, I’m dying for one!

I got a fantastic cookbook stand for Christmas which immediately became one of my favourite cooking items! I’m also in desperate need of a spoon holder…

Hayley January 10, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Thank you for this list. I would love to have a Vita mixer! I’m curious which food processor you use and if you would recommend it? I’m in the market for one and any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 9:56 am

I have a 12 cup Kitchenaid food processor and I am *fairly* happy with its performance, but I have not tried a FP that I have been swept away by yet…

Hayley January 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Thank you for your response! I am also looking at the Kitchenaid, but in a 7-cup version. Our counter space is limited, and it took a lot of convinicing for that size! heh.

Charlie January 10, 2011 at 8:52 pm

The vita mix is definitely on my wish list! My favorite kitchen tools include wooden spoons, mixing bowls, breakfast pan and immersion blender.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 9:56 am

What is a breakfast pan?

Charlie January 11, 2011 at 10:20 am

It is a non-stick pan with low edges (very useful for pancakes).

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:22 am

oh nice, thanks!

Jen January 10, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I got an electric skillet for Christmas and I’m in love with the thing. I thought I’d only use it the odd time we have bacon or pancakes, but I’ve used it an average of 3X a week since Xmas to cook up quick dinners for the hubby and I. It heats up fast, clean up is a breeze, and best of all, I don’t have to gunk up the inside of my newly cleaned oven!

Tanya @ Vegan Faith January 10, 2011 at 8:54 pm

That cookbook stand is now on my wish list along with a tofu press and some new and cute aprons. I love kitchen gadgets and I would give anything for a Vitamix. I guess I need to start saving my pennies!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 9:56 am

ahhh how did I forget about my aprons? im a disgrace! hehe

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 10, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Great list! I love peaking in other people’s kitchens and seeing what tools they like.

Nichole (Flirting with Food Fitness & Fashion) January 10, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Thanks for the pointers. I definately need a cook book stand. Love my VitaMix! I need a cover for my laptop since I am dragging it into my kitchen with me all the time haha.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 9:57 am

mmm i think i need a flour cover for my laptop…

Kaitlin January 10, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I love this post too! I have to say that I finally tried a GM yesterday and LOVED IT.

I also see that you have the PW cookbook on your shelf. I want to buy it but I fear nothing is vegan or veg-friendly in there! What have you found when looking through it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 9:58 am

You are right- there isnt much veg friendly at all…I mainly bought it because it is a beautiful cookbook and I love looking at her beautiful photography. I also bought it so I could try veganizing some recipes, but I wouldnt say that I am able to *use* it much. Her pico de gallo and guac is AMAZING though.

Katy @ A Healthy Shot January 10, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I think everything you mentioned is on my wish list! Although the most coveted would be the Kitchenaid. It was on my Christmas list, but Santa reminded me that I need my own place first…

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) January 10, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I just got a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer for Christmas and have used it everyday since! I can’t imagine my life without it now. My parents are getting thank yous via fresh bread.

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) January 10, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I didn’t know the stirring stick had a name but I love mine *and* will now be using the word ‘spurtle’ in conversation as much as possible.

Kat January 10, 2011 at 9:07 pm

You have the most beautiful kitchen tools
I think my most used kitchen tool is my Magic Bullet!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day January 10, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I wasn’t able to comment this morning, but your Grandpa is in my prayers. I am so happy that he’s making a recovery. You must get your determination and strength from him :)

My favorite kitchen tool is definitely my OXO vegetable peeler. I eat english cucumbers like a crazy person and I use it all the time! Plus, my mom still thinks I’m going to cut myself using a regular paring knife (even though I’m 27), so it makes her happy too.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 9:59 am

Thanks Maria! I have an OXO peeler too and it is lovely

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 10, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I desperately need a cookbook stand, thought I rarely use a cookbook. I would still like to have one though!

Lindsay January 10, 2011 at 9:08 pm

You’ll have to add Happy Herbivore’s new vegan cookbook to your collection!! She’s awesome (and a friend of mine!) :)

Mel January 10, 2011 at 9:08 pm

You should do the corollary: Kitchen Tools I Never Use

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:00 am

haha I was thinking about that….but worried I would offend those that gave me them as gifts…

Leah @ Why Deprive? January 10, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Spoon stand? That is the best idea ever!! I get so annoyed with the mess I always make with gooey spoons.

Michelle January 10, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I hope your grandfather continues to do well! I understand what you are going through, my grandfather was sick and passed away on Boxing day, it was really really hard.
Wow, what a great list of tools! I actually own like….none of them! Love the cookbook and spoon stand, those are things I would really like to purchase.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:01 am

Im sorry to hear about your grandfather’s passing. Thank you for your positive wishes!

Melissa January 10, 2011 at 9:15 pm

As a fellow canuck I love seeing No Name brand items on your blog :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:18 am

hehe…I love No Name!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 10, 2011 at 9:16 pm

A cook book stand is such a good idea! So simple yet I had never thought about it!

Katie January 10, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I use my Vitamix daily! I would love a kitchen aid mixer too. And a cookbook stand. And a spoon rest. My mom has all these things, and never cooks. So unfair!

I just bought myself a Henckles santoku knife that I can’t imagine life without.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:01 am

I think you should go shopping in your mom’s kitchen…heh

mary (what's cookin' with mary) January 10, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Enjoyed this post Ange. I too use my vita mix nearly everyday. Such a great piece of equipment. Some of my favorite items I use in my kitchen everyday are:
1) french press (wish I had the stainless steal version)
2) white ceramic measuring spoons (I am with you on measuring cups…)
3) stainless steal copco tea kettle
4) sounds weird, but my plate cover for the micro so food doesn’t go all over it
5) wooden spoon, very similar to yours

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 10, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I love your list!!! I definitely need to invest in a cookbook stand! None of my cookbooks lie flat!

Elizabeth (SomethingPithy) January 10, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I just got my very first blender. It’s not as awesome as a vita mix, but I sure do like it.

Jenna Puckett January 10, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Instead of measuring cups, I use my trusty kitchen scale and my mixing bowl. It makes my life so much easier. No need to get a bunch of cups dirty. The weight in grams is often listed on the back right with the measuring cups.

Nicole January 10, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I definitely need a cookbook stand! I always end up with food all over my cookbooks from being on the counter while I’m prepping. The spoon stand seems like a great investment as well. I’m always such a mess in the kitchen!

Roz January 10, 2011 at 9:32 pm

LOVE this list. And very envious of your vitamix!! And a chef’s mat is on my wish list! Have a great week. (and still sending get well thoughts your way for your Grandpa, hope he continues to get better!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:02 am

Thanks Roz!

Michal January 10, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I hardly ever use it…. but I LOVE my cherry pitter. Ironic, since my parents gave it to me for a recipe I can’t make anymore since I went vegan…. but I’m sure I’ll find new uses for it! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:03 am

I just got a cherry pitter for Xmas! Cant wait to try it out in the summer

Heather January 10, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Love the list!! FYI The beet bundt cake is not very good…

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:17 am

haha really??? I was wondering! Why did you not like it? Too beety?

Heather January 11, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Very beety in a a not so good way. The chocolate-beet combo was a weird flavor..

Rachel January 10, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I couldn’t live without my magic bullet.
p.s. I just got a waffle iron for Christmas….got any delicious waffle recipes comin’ my way??

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:03 am

Hmmm Ive made waffles on the blog once…let me see if I can find it

Rachel January 10, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Oh! I forgot! I LOVE my lime/lemon juicer like this one-

Works like a charm!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:04 am

I have a very similar lemon squeezer!

Audrey January 10, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Hi, Angela. I really enjoyed this post. Maybe because I like lists in general (and am constantly making them myself!) and maybe because I love to see the behind-the-scenes tools that you rely on most to create the incredible kitchen creations you do. Or, it could be a combination of both! I must admit a little envy for your beautiful kitchen! I look forward to a post on your favorite cookbooks.

Have a great evening!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:04 am

Thanks for your feedback Audrey :)

Lindsey January 10, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I loved this post! I always enjoy seeing what others use a lot in their kitchens. My favorite/most-used kitchen tool is probably my Vitamix right now. I just got it for Christmas and have used it multiple times a week since then!

Carrie (Love Healthy Living) January 10, 2011 at 9:58 pm

My husband jokes that the Vita-Mix is so powerful I could take it on the freeway. You’re lucky, mine doesn’t fit under the cabinet so it takes up more room. It’s soooo worth it though, I use mine at least 2 times a day!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:04 am

on the freeway…love it!

Laura January 10, 2011 at 10:01 pm

On the hunt for the perfect measuring cups: these don’t have any fancy features, but my sister got them for me for Christmas and they’re adorable!! They’re those matroishka nesting dolls, but measuring cups! They come in 1, 3/4, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 sizes and all stack neatly and cutely on the counter when you’re done with them. I’m in love :)

Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 10, 2011 at 10:03 pm

wow, i’ve never even heard of a couple of these things! i think i’m most intrigued by the teapot!

Savvy January 10, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Love this post. I have *never* heard of a spurtle before but it looks like such a great idea!!

Bethany @ More Fruit Please January 10, 2011 at 10:15 pm

My Kitchen Aid stand mixer is a hand-me-down from my mom who originally received it as a wedding gift from my grandmother. It’s older than I am! You would never know it though since it’s in perfect condition and works like it’s brand new.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:05 am

wow that is incredible!

Ashley Sanders January 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Thanks for this post. It seemed so honest and revealing to get a back stage pass into your cooking process. I’m impressed by what great shape everything is in. Kudos.

Meredith January 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Great post! I like using the mason jars for soup. The steamy broth makes a pretty good seal after it cools. Keeps forever.

I think my Henckel knives are at the top of my list of favourite things. Good knives make all the difference!

Jennifer January 10, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Happy New Year Angela!
I recommend the measuring cups from Lee Valley. My mom gave them to me for Christmas several years ago and they are still awesome!!!! http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=47392&cat=2,40733,44734,47392
Wishing positive thoughts for your grandpa!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:06 am

Thanks Jennifer! These look awesome…I might have to buy them. Pouring spouts and can be put in the oven to melt butter?! Amazing

laura January 10, 2011 at 10:26 pm

LOVE your big mixing bowls, and bodum tea pot.
Anything colourful in the kitchen makes me smile :)
I’m looking to buy a healthy vegetarian, possibly vegan recipe book? What’s your top pick/suggestion?
thanks!

[email protected] January 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I want a Vita-Mix!!! I love all of your unique kitchen tools and I really want to try the spool thing? My favorite kitchen gadget right now is my food processor! :)

Sally January 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Okay, I absolutely need a spurtle in my life. That spoonstand is nifty, too.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] January 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm

The spurtle is so cute! I’ve never heard of that/seen one before! How big is it? It looks huge in the picture, but I’m guessing it’s not! :)

I would die without my Bosch mixer for making bread. I also LOVE my silpat.

I now have a cookbook stand on my wishlist. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:08 am

Here it is: http://www.leevalley.com/en/gifts/page.aspx?c=&p=58550&cat=4,104,53214&ap=1
in all its glory!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) January 10, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I really really like Williams Sonoma’s measuring cups 18/10 stainless steel. They are really nice and absolutely no bending of handles or anything!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:09 am

Thanks I will check them out!

Krissy @ Make It Naked January 10, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Great post. I HAVE to get one of those mats! I’m going to have to say the kitchen aid stand mixer is my most used but my favorite tool might be a garlic press because I hate chopping garlic!

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 10, 2011 at 11:32 pm

alright, i’m convinced i need a chef’s mat now! i have to say, i have pretty much all of those other utensils and they are amazing indeed. but a chef’s mat could totally rock my world!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Ive done a kitchen tools post before and on my list of go to’s are:
good knives (henckles or wusthof)
Vita, cutting boards, mixing bowls, coffee maker (and espresso maker and french press…i love my coffee)

I dont use my juicer, blendtec, dehydrator or 99% of the gadgets I have very often, if ever.

I have lots of those same cookbooks you have, but dont use those either…I wing it :) Which is why youre clearly a much better cook than i am :)

I would like a kitchen aid stand mixer. I just bought a new DSLR with 2 lenses. That’s enough for now…for this month at least :) Except the pink spatula and spoon stand, I think I am ordering those…now….

LOVE THE LIST!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:10 am

I rarely use my juicer anymore :( It got put away and I guess it wasnt worth the effort to take it back out?? lol

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama January 10, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I am swooning over all of your kitchen gadgets! I, too, have my favorite spoons, cook books and equipment. Everyone knows the kitchen is MINE =)

Ashley January 10, 2011 at 11:50 pm

What a fun post!! I’ve been using vinegar based cleaners for almost a year now. I just add half vinegar + half water and essential oil drops. I absolutely love how well it works!! I need that fancy oatmeal stirrer!!!! And yes, there is something comforting about a big wooden spoon. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:08 am

What essential oils do you like the best? I have been thinking of using some!

Ally January 10, 2011 at 11:51 pm

I love your list. That pink spatula is so cute!! I think I need one. I have been saving for one, praying, asking at birthdays/christmas’s for a VitaMix. One day one will show up in my kitchen…I have faith :)

rhonda January 11, 2011 at 12:00 am

I just bought these measuring cups and love them. They stick together with magnets, they’re shaped to pour easily, and they sit flat and don’t topple no matter what weird stuff you put in them. Hope that helps, let me know if you like them. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:10 am

thanks Rhonda!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 11, 2011 at 12:07 am

I love my flat rubber spatula! So nifty :) My food processor is pretty awesome too.
I REALLY wish I had a Vita Mix!!

Annie January 11, 2011 at 12:32 am

Great post Angela! I definitely couldn’t live without my food processor and the tofu press has saved me from washing a bunch of dish towels on a regular basis. I’m pretty excited about my new ice cream maker. Just made a batch of hemp milk banana chocolate chip ice cream. Will definitely be using this appliance regularly. Looking forward to the cookbook post!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA January 11, 2011 at 12:34 am

I’ve never heard of a spurtle! What a fun word!

I love my bamboo cutting boards, coffee maker (except it’s my roommate’s!), mandolin, Kitchenaid food processor.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 11, 2011 at 12:57 am

Fantastic list! I’m surprised that you just got a silpat. My mom and I have been using them for quite a while and they’re perfect for roasting veggies on. The black marks just scrape away in two seconds!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:11 am

mmm I would have never thought to use it for roasting veggies!

suki January 11, 2011 at 1:29 am

What’s funny is that I don’t use a lot of cookbooks, but I do love to use recipes from online, so my bf got me an iPad stand, so I can prop up my iPad in the kitchen when I want to try something new. :D

I have no idea what a silpat is…even still.

Bronwyn Coyne January 11, 2011 at 1:50 am

You’re kitchen gear is pretty much my dream kitchen gear. Sigh. I really want a food processor. A silpat would probably be nice too. And my cookbook collection probably needs a good vamping up.

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) January 11, 2011 at 2:51 am

I don’t know what I’d do without my hand blender. It’s the easiest way to whip up a GM and a breeze to clean :) I could probably do with a stand mixer, though!

Beach Bum Beauty January 11, 2011 at 3:26 am

You learn something new every day and today I have learnt what a spurtle is. After reading this post, I feel like leaving work to go home and bake!

Gulcan January 11, 2011 at 3:34 am

My fav is this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/61885760/quotes-measuring-spoons?ref=sr_gallery_40&ga_search_query=measuring+spoons&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title&filter%5B0%5D=handmade

However, duck measuring spoons are also for a good laugh ;) http://www.etsy.com/listing/65348315/duck-measuring-spoons?ref=sr_gallery_30&ga_search_query=measuring+spoons&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes%5B0%5D=tags&includes%5B1%5D=title&filter%5B0%5D=handmade

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:13 am

LOL! awesomeness

Cara Craves... January 11, 2011 at 4:13 am

I want a Spurtle!
It has a fun name and it’s useful!

Lou January 11, 2011 at 4:43 am

i can see that your fav granola is half gone! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:07 am

There is no way in hell it is lasting its shelf life

thefruitpursuit (Sabine) January 11, 2011 at 5:32 am

Great post! I’ve been working on mine for some time now, need to finish it! There’s definitely a few I didn’t know about, like the spoon stand and mats.

x sabine

CathyK January 11, 2011 at 6:11 am

i loved seeing your favourite kitchen tools, angela! reminds me of oprah and her “what i love” lists!
cleaning with vinegar is the best! i use it on our hardwood, too, and in the bathroom, kitchen…cleans so well and i love the pure smell!
haha, i have FOUR sets of measuring cups and only love and use ONE. but it has no markings as to brand…i’m betting they were tupperware from about 15 years ago?!

Meaghan @ OhReillyWrites January 11, 2011 at 6:32 am

I didn’t realize there was such a thing as a cookbook holder! This is a great list.

stacey-healthylife January 11, 2011 at 6:44 am

I just used those knifes and they are amazing.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 11, 2011 at 7:05 am

I love my cookbook stand! Sometimes the book is too thick, though, and the pages turn themselves;) I have spoon holders that hold the spoon flat, not vertical, and they are a wee bit messy! I need to get a standing one, STAT

Caitlin (Radiate Life) January 11, 2011 at 7:33 am

Love this list; thank you! It’s a great starting point for aspiring cooks like myself :) I have yet to find a good set of measuring spoons as well. I did get a set of Crate & Barrel spoons for Christmas, however, that I have yet to take for a spin – I’ll let you know if they fit the bill!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 11, 2011 at 7:35 am

I loved reading your recommendations- you definitely cook a lot, so you must give good advice :) My must-have is my kitchen scale (fewer measuring cups!)…and when my old lab was still alive, he was indispensable for licking up messes on the floor!

Melissa January 11, 2011 at 7:39 am

I love my Bullet! It’s perfect to make my green smoothies and it’s easy clean up. I can just take the cup with me which also eliminates extra waste. Plus I love my “spoonulas” courtesy of Rachel Ray :)

Kristy January 11, 2011 at 7:48 am

I really enjoyed this post! :-)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 11, 2011 at 7:58 am

love this! i really could use a cookbook stand and spoon stand :) i love my silpat, vita, electric mixer, and bamboo mixing spoons! i always wanted a looseleaf pot- its so beautiful!

Palma January 11, 2011 at 8:12 am

I love love love these Matroyshkas measuring cups from Fred & Friends. They are super cute, durable, easy to clean and store, and so functional: http://www.amazon.com/Fred-Cup-Measuring-Matroyshkas-Cups/dp/B002L162FS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294751300&sr=8-2

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 11, 2011 at 8:16 am

I love this list! I need a cookbook stand and the Silpat. I also love how you refer to your Vita-mix as your 2nd child :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 11, 2011 at 8:19 am

I adore your pink spatula! And call me a bad Scot, but I had no idea what a spurtle was until today! I think my favourite kitchen gadget is my blender/food processor that I got for Christmas (Cuisinart), ‘my’ knife, my sandwich press, and the dishwasher (if that counts as a gadget) because my time spent in the kitchen would be far less enjoyable if I had to do all the washing myself!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:14 am

mmm I want a sandwich press but I think Eric would kill me if I got another appliance. I may have to get rid of one first..heh

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 11, 2011 at 8:23 am

I had never heard of a spurtle before! I use my knives the most…with my coffee makers (yes, plural…haha) coming in a close second.

Steph January 11, 2011 at 8:27 am

My favorite kitchen appliance is the Kitchen Aid stand mixer. It’s something that everyone needs in their kitchen!

On my wish list is a Vitamix, although realistically in the short term I’m thinking of getting an immersion blender. The vitamix just isnt in my med student budget, but some day…

Lisa January 11, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I love my little blender like that, so perfect for soups.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 11, 2011 at 8:46 am

I have these measuring cups from Pier One and I’m obsessed with them! They are so cute!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 11, 2011 at 8:58 am

These are all great tools! I can not live without my williams sonoma silica spatula, my food processor, global knives or whisk!!

xo

Halley (Blunder Construction) January 11, 2011 at 8:59 am

I think the only thing I would add to this list is my food processor. Maybe your Vita-mix does the same work as that though. This was a fun peek into the daily workings of the Glow Kitchen :)

Laura @ Starting Out Fit January 11, 2011 at 9:03 am

What a great list!

I make a daily use of my Paderno measuring cups!
Stainless, and have a 25 year warranty to boot! :)

Haleigh January 11, 2011 at 9:25 am

I have been wanting a KitchenAid for ages! The spoon stand is so smart! I usually make a huge sticky mess from leaving my spoon on the kitchen counter.

Cathy January 11, 2011 at 9:40 am

Hi:

Just wanted to say that Costco (in Ottawa) was featuring a Vitamix last night when I was there. They had a lady doing a demonstration at a special booth, complete with microphone! I did instantly think of you, LOL.

Cathy

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 10:15 am

haha!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 11, 2011 at 9:43 am

I adore my Vita Mix.. it’s been going strong for 7 years now. I also love my food processor and my air popcorn maker

Lisa of Lisa's Yarns January 11, 2011 at 10:02 am

I love my rice cooker, my pampered chef rubber spatula, and my new Wusthof chef’s knife. And I am starting to fall in love with my food processor. I owned it for like 2 years and rarely used it until recently…

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 11, 2011 at 10:03 am

I use almost everything on the list, except the cookbook stand. I need to get one I always end up dropping something on the book which is not good.

Jazz January 11, 2011 at 10:08 am

I love my waffle maker more than I should, and my slow cooker! Pink spatula’s are also great!

Amber K January 11, 2011 at 10:17 am

A vita-mix is definitely on my wish list as well as a kitchenaid stand mixer. Too bad they are the most expensive of the bunch!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition January 11, 2011 at 10:33 am

I’ve been wanting a vita-mix since I started blogging about 2 years ago! I always put in on my Christmas list (haha my parents say I’m too old for a xmas list now!) My boyfriend has one so I get to use his all the time but I secretly want to take it home with me at nights :) haha!!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 11, 2011 at 10:49 am

I’d never heard of a spurtle before! How fun!

Cindy Robinson January 11, 2011 at 10:57 am

I have yet to find a set of measuring cups that ruffle my feathers. However, I do have a set of metal Kitchen Aid ones…they also have a 1/2 way mark on the inside of each measuring cup…so the 1/2 C Measure can also be a 1/4 C. Measure. I like that feature.
P.S. I just want to say Spurtle!!

Jaclyn January 11, 2011 at 11:01 am

This is a great list! I love Mason jars. Once I even had a dream that I was defending my family from evildoers using a Mason jar. Tee hee!

Measuring cup recommendation – I have two sets that I use. One is the Nigella Lawson Living Kitchen set, which are kind of hard to hold and measure with, but they are shaped like tiny teacups and soooooo cute that I had to have them. The other, which I love and use more, are the classic All-Clad measuring cups. I got my set at Williams-Sonoma. They are a little on the pricey side (I think US $29 for my set of four, which also came with measuring spoons) but they measure perfectly, are extremely durable, and look like tiny All-Clad pots (also soooooo cute!). All-Clad also makes a set of unusual measures (like 2/3 cup, etc.) that I would like to get. I highly recommend the All-Clad measuring cups! For liquid measure, I use the classic Pyrex, but I get a sense that it is dry measuring cups you’re asking about.

Allison @ Food For Healing January 11, 2011 at 11:09 am

i love all of your kitchen tools, i want all of that for christmas!

Christine (The Raw Project) January 11, 2011 at 11:23 am

Great list, thanks! I need a spoon stand like yours and a chefs mat.

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy January 11, 2011 at 11:35 am

I won this massive knife (I like to call is a cleaver though) form a cooking competition and it cuts through anything like butter!
Never saw a ‘spurtle’ before. I’ll have to try that since I didn’t get a stick blender for my apartment. Thanks!

Lana January 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Love this list. Mine pretty much looks the same minus the Vitamix and spoon and cookbook stands. I’m dying for a Vitamix, but all in good time I suppose. I DEFINITELY need a cookbook and spoon stand because just last night I used my bamboo spoon to make a soup and it, of course, ended up all over the counter and cookbook. Opps!! The counter no longer has the soup-making evidence, but the cookbook sure does. Thanks for your list!!

Shamima January 11, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Thanks for the list!! I recently got a reconditioned vitamix and it works like a dream – it’s super-fast. Do you put all your smoothie ingredients in at the same time and blend or one at a time?
I have 2 silicone mats that I use to bake cookies. They were $4.00 at Canadian Tire but I like the looks of the silpat.

Lisa January 11, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I love my wusthof santuko knife, crockpot(with 3 different bowls), bunn coffepot, & swiffer. Love your spurtle!! (sounds personal) I want a vitamix & dehydrater, but I don’t need any more appliances either!

Sonia January 11, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I have an old school Oster Blender. Like from the 1970s. It’s avocado green and runs wonderfully. I’m glad I have it because I burned out the motor on my last Oster (circa 2009) last summer (beet leaves tangled, base started smoking, not pretty) . Luckily, my brother gave me his mother’s blender. I’m saving up for a Vitamix. I use my blender about 6 days a week. :)

I also love my food processor, tea kettle and kitchen aid mixer. My MIL gave us a bread maker, but I have yet to test it out. I’m actually a little afraid of it. That and we don’t have enough counter space in our tiny apartment. My hubby said no more gadgets until we get a house or have more room to put them.

Lisa January 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm

That spoon stand is a really cool thing! I really want a Kitchenaid Mxer soooooo bad!

Tami Eaton January 11, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I love peering into other peoples kitchens. I like to get ideas for organization. I love mason jars also, I have been storing alot of items (ie coconut, hemp seeds, nuts, farro, etc) in mason jars in the freezer and it looks so neat and tidy, and they are kept fresher. I am still struggling with the pantry. I would love to see how you organize your pantry.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 11, 2011 at 12:55 pm

My pantry currently looks like a bomb went off..tee hee. I too need organization. Maybe a goal for 2011!

Linds January 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Thank you for taking the time to write my Christmas list for 2011 :)

Melissa January 11, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I love this post!! I am drooling over the kitchenaid mixer and vitamix…two purchases I hope to save up for this year.

I’m definitely off to the store to pick up that spoon holder and possibly that bodum loose leaf tea pot:)

Thanks for sharing!!

Beth January 11, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Spurtle? Never heard of it, but love it already. What a great idea. Might have to swing by Lee Valley now ;)

Spoon stand, eh? Looks like a great idea. Especially for my hubby who is the chef in our house. He is constantly leaving the spoon, spatula, and flipper all over the stove top and counters. Lucky for me he is an amazing chef :)

Chef’s Mat? Another great find here in your list. Will look for it on my next trip to Costco.

I’m also a big fan of water & vinegar as cleaners. Keep a spray bottle in the kitchen & bathrooms. Hydrogen Peroxide 3% is another good one.

Tracey January 11, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I absolutely want a cookbook stand! However, upon first glance I thought the page you had your cookbook open to said “beef” bundt cake and I got grossed out for a second and then realized it said “beet”. Haha! I like the list of products and want many of them!

Allie January 11, 2011 at 7:05 pm

New reader here. I love that you have hot pink kitchen tools! I also love that I have found your blog. I am just starting my own healthy lifestyle journey, and I am excited to get tips from your blog. :)

Autumn Tao January 11, 2011 at 7:06 pm

For me, the wooden spoon is also comforting. It makes me feel rustic in my modern kitchen, somehow connected and bonded to all the women who cooked before me… tied to the past. It helps me appreciate the art of cooking the long history of the craft. Woman power!

The Robertsons of Mumbai January 11, 2011 at 7:51 pm

So funny to see that spurtle on the list! My husband is from Scotland and we use one as well. It is a tradition at Scottish weddings for a small child to present the bride with a spurtle (a sign of what is to come – cooking as a ‘good wife’ – lol!), and we had my nephew give me one when we got married.

Kelly January 11, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Love posts like this! There are many things on your list that are on my “need to buy list”. My recommendation for measuring cups is for Paderno! I just got a set of stainless steel measuring cups for Christmas and I love them so far (similar to this: http://www.paderno.com/us/products.php?catID=7&subID=42&pID=563#).

Laura January 12, 2011 at 11:04 am

I’m on the same mission to find good measuring cups so if you come across a good find, please post!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 12, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I am going to buy these ones after looking at a bunch of suggestions:

currently out of stock I think! :(

Gina January 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm

My boyfriend and I love cooking/baking. I got him a new All Clad 6qt saute pan and a new 12-in non-stick from Emeril, but what he loves the most is the double burner reversible griddle/grill, which is cast iron and also by Emeril. I gave him a Lodge cast iron press with it and I think we use it almost every day! He got me a new Cuisinart 12 cup Die Cast food processor that I am in love with! I also use it almost every day, I even create recipes around using it!! A few other notable items he got me that I love are a new silpat, marble rolling pin (AMAZING) and a sifter (which I have yet to use!) Even my mom got us a new kitchen tool…a new pizza stone that we’ve already used twice! I love kithchen gadgets!

Jackie Smith January 17, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Perfect measuring cups: Hoffritz metal! I’ve had mine for 8 years; they don’t rust or bend, and they have a tiny pour spout, too. http://www.amazon.com/Hoffritz-4-Piece-Stainless-Steel-Measuring-Cups/dp/B00004RHQ8

Michelle January 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Hi Angela,

I absolutely love your blog. In fact, I find your spirit invigorating! I am just wondering how you clean your wooden utensils (bamboo spoon and such). Also, I think that we have the same idea of fabulous kitchen utensils. My fiance and I just got a set of Wustof knives for Christmas and absolutely love them. I am also dying to get a vitamix, but settle for using my mom’s.

I am also like you when it comes to cleaners; vinegar and water the whole way. I was wondering if you have heard of the book “Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda.” It has tons of different formulas and solutions for cleaning. And if you want a nice scent, you can just add a few drops of essential oils.

All the best!

Sue July 4, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I’ve been using a (small) food processer since April to make the banana soft serve for my husband who is dairy intolerant (along with rice, almonds, eggs, gluten, etc)) ..So I want to get a bigger machine. Can a vitamix make the banana soft serve, without adding any liquid to start?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I’m not sure Sue. I always use my food processor. I havent had too much luck with my vitamix when the liquids are low.

Sue July 4, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to buy just one (more:) machine.. but
it’s got to be able to do a lot of soft serve. Thanks again.

Yani August 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Where did you get that big straw that is in all your smoothie pictures? Do you feel you drink the “thicker” smoothies easier?!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Hey Yani, It’s from a company called Glass D’harma (they have a website online). I got it a few years ago and LOVE love love it. I use it every single day.

Barbara January 17, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Love the Chef’s Mat and I’m definitely going to hunt that down! My favorite kitchen tool is my ceramic knife – my son got it for me last year and I don’t know how I ever did without it. It also doesn’t transfer metal so fruit and avocados don’t turn brown!!!! At least not nearly as quickly. I love my ceramic knife AND peeler – they’re awesome.

Julia February 17, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Darling, you’ll never need volumetric measuring cups ever again if you invest in a kitchen scale. A decent one won’t set you back more than $20 (check Amazon’s list of top 100 kitchen supplies). I saw your list of most-used kitchen tools; like you, I also use my Kitchenaid stand mixer, Silpat, bamboo mixing spoon and other close friends on a daily basis. But first and foremost, I use my scale. Plus, it really cuts back on the dishes you have to wash afterwards!

Roya May 12, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Hi Angela,

Your recipes are quite inspiring. I was wondering, what model of food processor by cuisinart do you currently use? Can it be used to make nut butters and ice cream by chance? How happy are you with it?

I am eager to make some good homemade pesto sauces, make your vegan lasagna with basil cashew cheeze, perhaps icecream and nut butters- so I cannot wait to purchase my very first food processor!

Thanks for the help,
Roya

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2013 at 8:05 am

Hi Roya, I have a 12-cup or 14-cup Cuisinart processor (sorry I can’t remember which size, but it’s huge – maybe a bit TOO large). I use it for nut butter all the time! I don’t think it can be used for ice cream, but I do make banana soft serve with it (processing frozen bananas) good luck!

Roya May 13, 2013 at 9:38 am

Thank you! By chance do you remember the model name?
Thanks again! :)

Summer June 17, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Hello Angela:

Thanks for the post. I have a question for you, I want to buy my first vitamix blender. But don’t know where is the best place I should get it. I live in ontario. Did you get yours from amazon or costco? can you recommend a place for me? any specific models?

Cheers

Summer

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013 at 9:28 am

Hi Summer, I purchased it directly from their website. I’ve heard that Costco does VM “tours” with discounted prices, so that is probably a great option. I think you can ask them to find out when they are coming to your city! Good luck.

Claudia July 22, 2014 at 2:25 pm

This is an older post, so you’ve probably already found a good set of measuring cups. In case you haven’t yet, I highly recommend the ones from Lee Valley. I got them years ago and love them to this day. There’s a good review of them at http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-measuring-cups/

Spent the weekend with a friend who recently got your cookbook for her birthday. We made two recipes that turned out awesome (the nacho recipe and that savoury oatmeal/lentil dish) and drooled over the rest. I intend to pick up my own copy, I’m such a fan!

Amy August 26, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Great info. Btw, the spoon looks like an Olivewood spoon instead of Bamboo. Bamboo tends to have a finer “grain”. I have a bunch of olivewood utensils and I love them!

Nancy August 31, 2014 at 4:19 pm

My favourite two kitchen things are my Blentech Blender with the Twister Jar (nut butters in minutes…about 2 for cashew butter) and my Breville Food Processor…Man I love the FP…

Nancy

Tina October 29, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Hi Angela,

I am stuck with having to purchase a food processor and a blender… I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know the difference! Could I just rely on a good blender? Or should I have both.

connie January 6, 2015 at 9:05 pm

I love your kitchen tools list. I have the breville sous chef food processor. It is expensive, but worth the money.

Wendy Arleen July 30, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Great post!
I have most of what you listed and I know what you mean by wooden spoons and mixing bowls make you feel good. My go to bowl is an oversized stainless steel. A big bowl just feels right even for small amounts.

Lindsay November 10, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I love the All Clad measuring cups and spoons. They are stainless steel and the best part is that they come in both standard and odd sizes. The little measuring cups can even be used directly on the stove like a tiny saucepan!

Jade Brunet July 19, 2016 at 9:17 am

I have had a little more time on my hands lately and am really wanting to become a better cook. To pursue this desire, I am going to need the right equipment. Thank you for your article about the most used kitchen tools. I especially love the idea of a spoon stand. This would help me not to misplace the spoon while keeping the counters clean. Thanks again for the information.

Angela Liddon July 19, 2016 at 3:40 pm

So glad you found it helpful, Jade!

Mary Charette July 30, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Hi Angela,
Thank you for all of the great recipes and inspiration. I have been thinking about finally investing in a Vitamin BUT as I have been doing the research, I keep coming up with articles about the teflon “black dots”. I trust you, so I wondered if you have any thoughts and or information about this issue.
Thanks so much :)
Mary

Kieran April 6, 2017 at 11:07 am

Nice post – I’m stealing some of those. The Silpat looks really useful!

Sandra Hexner July 17, 2017 at 12:45 pm

We’ve lost several of our kitchen supplies during our moved. Your article has been very informative to remember what basics I need to make my kitchen whole again. I totally agree that spatulas are an every day must have, and I’ll be searching online to find a cheaper kitchen utensil option to get started.

Kai January 28, 2018 at 8:31 pm

I love your tools, but I really wanted to know where you got your straight black spatula-spreader! Its sexy! (Featured in the Roasted Carrot Hummus Post)

Much love.
Kai

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2018 at 9:49 am

haha ;) I had to go back and look at the photos as I didn’t know what I used! It’s actually a bit of an odd looking knife. I’m trying to recall where I got it years ago, but I’m coming up blank on this one…so sorry! If I think of it I will let you know. It could’ve been from West Elm or Crate and Barrel (just guessing as I shop there for blog stuff now and then).

Julie March 23, 2018 at 8:33 am

Hi Angela,

Is there a food processor that you would recommend? One that can last when making nut butters?

Thanks
Julie

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2018 at 1:38 pm

Hey Julie, I have a Cuisinart food processor (it’s 14 cup I think), and I’m not super happy with it as the plastic has broken in a couple places and now it’ll only process if I’m pressing on the lid, lol. Not ideal! I will be sure to blog about it if I find one I love in the future.