Eleven in 2011

20101127 IMG 3555 thumb   Eleven in 2011

In 2009, I set 9 goals.

In 2010, I set 10 goals (here is how I did!).

This year for 2011, I am setting 11 goals!

(I’m scared.)

20101023 SnowPic2 thumb   Eleven in 2011

It’s ok though, I am a Snow Warrior, after all.

I approach New Year’s Goals the same way I look at shoveling a huge mountain of snow:

Tackle a little bit at a time and eventually you look back and the entire driveway is complete! If you get tired during the process, head inside for hot cocoa & warm cookies to recharge.

It’s a life motto, really.

Plus, if I don’t set some fun goals for the New Year, how will I ever make it through the long, cold winter?

IMG 9286 thumb   Eleven in 2011

I’m convinced that New Years Goals help beat the winter blahs. Goals help us look forward to things and get excited and dreamy eyed, just like in the summer when the warm breeze is at our backs and the hot sun on our face.

On January 1st, anything is possible.

I’m excited.

Eleven in 2011

20100919 IMG 7791 thumb   Eleven in 2011

2011 THEME: Trust myself.

It is said that if you do everything with love you cannot go wrong. I have been trying to trust myself more and more for the past couple of years, but in 2011, I want to make it the theme of my year. I want to cut down on negativity (internally and externally) and only take on tasks that I truly want to do. I also want to work on giving my heart to my loved ones and always showing and telling friends and family how much they are appreciated.

Hell, I will start a day early…I love you guys!

1) Blogging: Quality over Quantity

20100920 IMG 8185 thumb   Eleven in 2011

There was once a time in my blogging journey when I was more concerned with blogging ‘x times per day’ than producing something that represented my best effort. Throughout 2010, I have realized that it is really about quality over quantity.

2) Take care of my health and continue my journey with a Vegan diet.

20101017 IMG 7482 thumb   Eleven in 2011

Committing to a vegan diet is not always easy and this is why I decided to put it on my 2011 list.

I’m sure many of you think that veganism is a walk in the park for me, but there are many days that I really struggle with my commitment. My journey with veganism is always a work in progress and I have never had an end goal of being a ‘perfect vegan’.

IMG 4841 thumb thumb   Eleven in 2011

I will slip up.

I will occasionally have foods that aren’t vegan.

I was called a ‘hypocrite’ by a few people when I said that I would try some non-vegan foods while traveling in Paris, but not everyone has to agree with my choices for it to be right for me. We need to stop worrying about what others think of us and do what speaks to us on a personal level.

As long as I keep feeling the positive effects of the food I eat, I’m willing to put in the extra effort to continue along this fun journey.

3) Write a vegan cookbook proposal + sign with publisher + start cookbook testing
and writing process

20100930 IMG 3733 thumb   Eleven in 2011

This one is scary to say out loud.

I want to write a vegan cookbook more than anything! Healthy recipe testing, cooking, and baking makes me feel very fulfilled and excited. Nothing would make me more happy than applying my creativity into a cookbook that I could share with all of you. I have a passion for my cookbooks and they bring me great joy. I would love to be a part of that.

20101109 IMG 0070 thumb   Eleven in 2011

With that being said, I don’t want to write any cookbook; it has to be the right opportunity based on my vision or I am simply going to wait. I will not settle for an offer that my heart is not into just to have a book published. I believe that what is meant to happen will happen, even if it is not as soon as we want!

4) Save 10% of monthly gross income into high interest savings account.

At the end of each month, I will assess how much gross income I have and then I will transfer 10% of this income into my high interest savings account.

At the end of the year I shall buy myself some Coconut Bliss.

That shit stuff is like gold!

5) Run my first 5k race in under 23 minutes (which would be <7:24 min/mile or 4:46 min/km pace)

IMG 5552 thumb   Eleven in 2011

This is going to take a lot of training, but there is a former track and field speed demon inside of me just waiting to tackle the short distance races again! I used to run sprint distances in school and I thrived on them. For some reason the thought of breathless agony appeals to me.

It’s complicated.

6) Raise money for charity.

In 2011, I am going to pick a new charity and spread the love around.

7) Do Body Pump class a minimum of one time per week.

Another fitness goal of mine is to build muscle. Running is great for my heart and sanity, but it doesn’t do much for building muscle I’m afraid. I have had awesome results with Body Pump in the past and I am excited to take the classes again!

8.) Take a photography course.

My photography skills are self-taught, but I would really love to take a photography course (or two) in 2011 to delve deeper into my newest passion. I learn best visually and hands-on as opposed to reading something off the internet.

It’s really a miracle that I can even operate my DSLR camera. I’m not very tech savvy, naturally. Eric is patient.

9) IRELAND or bust!

untitled thumb   Eleven in 2011

(Pic source: David Liddon)

Eric and I have wanted to go to Ireland since we met over 10 years ago. My mother in law grew up in Ireland and we have lots of family that we can stay with to cut back on costs. It would basically be a week of chugging beer, eating chips, and pretending I live in a castle. I’m down with that.

10) Meditate for 3 minutes per day.

My approach to things that scare the crap out of me? Shoot low and I might surprise myself. As easy as 3 minutes per day sounds, this is actually one of the goals I am not sure I will accomplish given my prior track record with meditation!

My goal is to meditate for 3 minutes each day in 2011 in an effort to reduce mental ‘noise’. Mental Noise is what I like to call ‘a brain that never stops talking to itself’.

I suffer from Mental Noise, as do many other women. I have this constant chatter in my head and I’m pretty sure it’s not the kind that can be aided by medication.

11) Wild Card

My final goal for 2011 shall remain a secret until the end of the year! I have to have a few secrets up my sleeve!

20101129 IMG 3889b thumb   Eleven in 2011

Do you have any fun goals for 2011? What are you looking forward to?

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”

~ Winston Churchill

Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 30, 2010

I went to Ireland for the 2nd time this summer. And for the 2nd time, it was SERIOUSLY a life-changing experience.

Andrea December 30, 2010

Fabulous goals! I’d definitely buy your cookbook! Personally I’m mostly a “make goals as they come up” kind of gal, so my main “resolution” would have to be to just continue on the path I’m currently on: that is, to follow my heart! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 30, 2010

love that!

Camille December 30, 2010

Ireland is my favorite place in the entire world. It is my dream to live there someday! Make sure that when you go there you see Powerscourt Gardens. They are absolutely incredible!

Cathy Breit December 30, 2010

beautiful inspiring post. And I am IN LOVE with that 5th picture…the sunlight slanting over the shelves of homey looking dishes and bottles is exquisite!!
love,
cathy b. @ brightbakes

Cate December 30, 2010

Love this list! Thanks for being honest about your occasional struggles with staying vegan. You really do make it look easy! I would LOVE to see what you come up with for a cookbook…I’m sure publishers will be all over it!

Kathryn December 30, 2010

Those are awesome goals! Your goal posts (heh) are so inspiring! I made my own today.

After a 200 hour yoga teacher training program I learned a very important thing about meditation-get a cushion. It is the metatative equivalent to how a new lulu item makes you run faster or hold a yoga pose longer and stronger (because we both know lululemon has powers). Hugger mugger makes a great one you can get on amazon. Worth every penny.

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition December 30, 2010

My goal is to ‘keep calm and carry on’ in the face of uncertainty. I’m really trying to figure life out post-college in 2011 so I think that motto will serve me the best.

Danielle December 30, 2010

I’ve always wanted to visit Ireland too…I heard it’s absolutely gorgeous there! =) You’ll have to take lotssssssss of pictures when you go! Oh and I might just have to steal one of your resolutions…the meditating for 3 minutes a day is such a good idea! =)

Lili December 30, 2010

I pretty much live on your recipe page.. SO PLEASE WRITE A COOK BOOK.

My main resolution is to not be such a perfectionist. I don’t always need to get straight A’s, nor beat everyone on runs, or have everything i bake come out perfect. im so competitive, though its good for racing, its bad for the soul!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} December 30, 2010

I just posted about my 2011 goals as well. I love your list, especially the meditate for 3 minutes a day. This is something I have been wanting to learn to do. I would love to hear more about how this goes for you. Here’s to a prosperous 2011! :-)

Katherine December 30, 2010

Good luck with the cookbook! I would definitely buy yours. I hope to eat more vegan in 2011 (just a vegetarian now), so it’s good to know that you still struggle with it. It seems like other vegans have it so easy and don’t crave non-vegan food, or don’t have any problems/distress in passing up food that doesn’t perfectly fit into their diet. So glad to know I’m not alone!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) December 30, 2010

omg i could kiss your feet with this:
“My blogging goal for 2011 is to never hit publish on something that is rushed or is not my best effort. I think there is too much pressure on bloggers to post as frequently as humanly possible, but I think it is important to step back and breathe.

The world will go on. ”
THANK YOU FOR THAT!!!! your posts are always amazing and never ever ever feel rushed. They are works of art.

YOU should be teaching the photog class, not taking :)

Meditate and save money, awesome.

Vegan/traveling stuff…ok i remember when you posted that and i was so happy for you that you ate what you wanted in paris, and i was happy for me too, that you posted that!!! It’s not a walk in the park for me either and thank you for keepin it real :)

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 30, 2010

Ooooo…. I can’t wait to hear more about the cookbook! :) That’s exciting!!!

I have a lot of fitness related goals! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 30, 2010

Oh wow! I just spent the majority of my afternoon/evening coming up with my goal list and I have many that are the same as yours (photography course in particular!!) Mine will be up on Monday, but they include doing more yoga, eating mindfully, devoting more time to others, and saving for a new car. Looks like it’ll be a big year for both of us!

Caley December 30, 2010

Thanks for sharing Angela! I discovered your blog back in September, and have read everything from the beginning! Being able to see how open and honest you are about your goals and how you go about achieving them is so inspiring and has really helped me in making many positive changes in my life. These New Year posts were particularly enjoyable to read! I thought it was such a great idea to set longterm goals that were flexible and focused more on personal growth, rather than the typical New Years resolution of losing x pounds, or starting x diet, or exercising x days a week no matter what (!) only to be discouraged the second anything deviates from the plan. If I have learned anything in the past few months, it is that it is okay to slip up and life isn’t an “all or nothing” thing – no one is perfect! I will also be setting 11 in 11 as well and look forward to a fresh start and a healthy and happy outlook on life! I really cannot thank you enough. Good luck in the New Year! I can’t wait to see what you achieve this time around!

Allie December 30, 2010

Awesome goals! Your cookbook will be the first I ever buy :-)

mi-an dela cruz December 30, 2010

i will for sure buy your cookbook!

some of my goals for 2011:
1. start residency training in internal medicine
2. master crow and headstand yoga poses
3. run a 10k or half
4. spend more time with my family
5. argentina!

Cynthia December 30, 2010

I have to say that if you came out with a cookbook, I would totally buy it! I am not a vegan, but your recipes make my mouth water.

I would like to run my 2nd 10K this year and be able to do 20 real push-ups. That last one may be a toughie!

Christine December 30, 2010

I would buy your cookbook the minute it comes out!

As for the 11th goal…maybe a baby? You would be such an amazing mother!

Leighanne December 30, 2010

Wonderful goals for 2011 Angela! Going to Body Pump at least once a week is also one of my goals.
All the best in the new year!!

Amanda (Eating Up) December 30, 2010

I want to visit Ireland too! I would LOVE to do that in 2011, but I need to find someone who wants to go with me first :-)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) December 30, 2010

Angela, I feel like you’ve grown so much as a person this year. Your outlook on life and your approach to this year prove just that. I hope your book proposal is snatched up as quickly as your baked goods :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 31, 2010

thanks hun!

Kate December 30, 2010

I also set 10 goals in 2010 and plan on setting 11 for the coming year but I haven’t fully decided on them yet. Best of luck with all of your goals!

Sana December 30, 2010

I can’t wait to follwo your adventreus on your blog!
Have a beautiful New year!

Christine December 30, 2010

One way to fulfill 2 of your resolution in 2011 – go to Dublin and raise money for charity. I am going to Dublin in October to do the Dublin Marathon as part of Team in Training. They raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I did the San Diego marathon this past June with Team in Training, had a wonderful time and a great experience meeting awesome people, and raised $6000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
I love your blog and great recipes!

Blonde Ponytail December 30, 2010

You have truly spent some reflective time on your 11 in ’11!! I am inspired! Veganism is everything I believe, but what a HUGE commitment to refrain from animal products. I wonder if becoming a vegetarian first is a good step.

I hope you go through with your COOK BOOK!! What a feat in itself, to say I am an AUTHOR!

Good luck to you and Happy 2011

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 30, 2010

The cookbook thing seems so “like you”. Please do that :) It WILL be amazing. I can just imagine all the fresh ingredients and beautiful pictures that will go into it! You we’re practically born to do things like this :) Go for it!

Clare @ Fitting It All In December 30, 2010

Whatever you do, GET TO IRELAND! I’ve been 5 times (my Godparents live in Dublin, I studied there, and I play irish music). Great food too!!

I think your goals are fantastic – super challenging but also fun and worthwhile. Good luck!

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 31, 2010

I am SO excited to follow along as you tackle these challenges and achieve these goals! I’m excited about what #11 is… I have an idea but I don’t want to jinx anything ;)
Also, as a fellow vegan I can relate to your struggles and it certainly helps me to read what you wrote in #2- so I hope that me telling you this helps you, too! Nobody is perfect, and when it comes to being vegan there are so many different levels- not eating animals, not wearing them, only eating food you grow yourself… no matter what you do there will be an animal (a worm, an ant, an insect) harmed at some point. When I became a vegan I actually found that I stopped caring what other people eat- I only care what I eat. It’s not my place to judge them, just as it is not their place to judge me. Eating food that makes you happy (like your amazing dishes) is what is important. Depriving yourself will only lead to bad things. So let’s celebrate what we DO eat instead of what we do not! Happy (almost) New Year Ange!

Natasha December 31, 2010

I couldn’t agree more, Melissa! I’ve definitely become a happier and more positive person once I stopped focusing on what other people eat or don’t eat (judging and feeling judged are not nice experiences). Even though it’s not always easy, being vegan feels right for me and I love it!

Awesome goals, Angela! Happy New Year :)

Maureen December 31, 2010

I totally agree, changing to a Vegan diet was for me and my health. I do not judge others all I ask for is that they respect my choices which goes for other things in life as well.

Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds December 31, 2010

Those are great goals Angela!!! I especially like the photography course… I’d add that to my list… but I’ve already got 10… adding an 11th is just too scary!!! Perhaps… come December 2011… if I’ve accomplished the other goals… I can do that. Good luck with the cookbook. Which publisher would you like to work with?

Jen December 31, 2010

Making us wait until the end of 2011 for the 11th goal(s)? I can’t wait to hear it! As for the others, they are certainly attainable though I’m sure not without a challenge. I’m sure you can make them! I wrote my 2011 goals the other day — am so excited for the new year.

Are you one of those people who thrives on goal setting? As in, is it easier for you to say, I will start working on “goal x” come January 1, 2011? Instead of, I’ll start working on this now — without a set starting date?

Carolyn December 31, 2010

Love these!! For the record, I think you would make an EXCELLENT vegan cookbook author. :) I also choose a “word” for every year that tie all my resolutions together in some way or another. My 2011 post is being published tomorrow morning, and my word is “faith” which has a lot to do with me trusting myself. Here’s to us and an awesome 2011!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 31, 2010

I love the idea of a word!

Amy K. @ healthypeanut December 31, 2010

Thanks so much for sharing your goals for the new year! I love hearing what other people are thinking about as I am working on my own list. Quite a process! :) Love the Ireland idea. Traveling is the best to expand your world!

Meg @ MegGoesNomNom December 31, 2010

I just wanted to let you know that I am so happy I found your blog this year. You continue to inspire me on a daily basis. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 31, 2010

Kim December 31, 2010

Have you read this article in NY Times?

It’s talks about a website through which you can make “a binding contract to help you meet a particular goal”, such as new years resolutions – “fail to live up to your end of the deal, and you have to pay a person or charity that you have designated in advance”.

Ha! Though, you seem pretty intrinsically motivated to reach your goals. I’ve never actually set new years resolutions, but you’re list encourages me to make my own :)

Gina December 31, 2010

Those are wonderful goals for the new year! I’m a total believer in quality over quantity when putting up a blog post. No sense in throwing something up to meet a quota for the day.

I think you would be the perfect person to write a vegan cookbook! You recipes are so creative (and taste as good as they look!) I’m sure you’ll be able to accomplish it :)

Cara Craves... December 31, 2010

I am not that much of a goal setter, but may main goal this year, which is a bit out of my hands at this point, is to get accepted into either Guelph or Ryerson for the Food and Nutrition Program. I have my sights set on being a Dietitian in the future. I have already completed one degree, but I think it’s totally worth it to challenge myself and delve back into school for something that I am truly passionate about. Here’s hoping!

Allison @ Food For Healing December 31, 2010

Nice goals, good luck. Definitely like the charity one, you’ve got a lot of followers that would help a good cause

Katherine December 31, 2010

I LOVE that quote. It perfectly sums up my law school experience. Thank you for sharing!

Red Deception December 31, 2010

I have a strong love of travel, so your goal to head for Ireland is met with a giant YES by me. Travel is, by far, the best investment I’ve made in myself. There is nothing more awe-inspiring than a different culture, landscape, and society. I hope you meet this goal.

Page 1 of 41234»