Boxing Day Feast

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 27, 2010

Murphy’s Law of Vegan Baking:

When you desperately want a new recipe to work out, it won’t.

This is why you got a 1,000 words post yesterday instead of the recipe that Eric and I made!

IMG_7448

We made vegan banana bread and while it turned out pretty good, it needs a few tweaks until I am ready to post the recipe. I think I used too much baking soda!

It will be coming soon though. I already picked up some ripe bananas on the drive home.

Yesterday was Boxing Day and boy did we ever have a feast! My mother-in-law, Margaret, always has her big Christmas dinner on Boxing Day and it was pretty much a full day of face stuffing from breakfast until dessert around 10pm. I’m feeling like I have a bit of a ‘food hangover’ today!

As per usual, she rocked the table decor once again. My MIL is the queen of table settings.

IMG_7562

Every holiday she does something completely new and it always looks stunning.

IMG_7563

I was in charge of the name tags. ;) It has been so long since I have used cursive hand writing though, I felt a bit rusty!

IMG_7566

IMG_7569

IMG_7571

IMG_7572

IMG_7617

IMG_7575

We polished off many bottles of wine! Yes, yes, we did.

IMG_7579

IMG_7629

IMG_7583

And we feasted on incredibly delicious food!

IMG_7598

Classic Stuffing, turkey, asparagus..

IMG_7600

Caesar Salad…

IMG_7601

Brussels sprouts & carrots…

IMG_7602

My MIL’s famous Croquettes (her mom’s Irish recipe) are below. We also made a vegan version this year using almond milk and Earth Balance (on the right) and Eric said he could barely taste the difference between the two! I was really happy to be able to enjoy them again.

IMG_7603

My MIL also surprised me with this amazing vegan wheat berry and navy bean salad that was TOP SECRET until dinner was served!

IMG_7604

It was absolutely amazing and everyone raved about it. If you guys are interested, I will get the recipe and do a recipe post on it.

IMG_7606

I was quite hungry when dinner was served and I STUFFED myself until I was literally uncomfortable. I just couldn’t help myself!

IMG_7608

I had a huge serving of the vegan salad (plus seconds), croquettes, Brussels sprouts, carrots, asparagus, salad.

IMG_7610

I ate every bite!

IMG_7612

For dessert I had 2 Nanaimo squares and a couple vegan gingersnap cookies.

IMG_7630

IMG_6906

And wine.

Too much for my belly!

We worked our dinner off with a couple hours of Kinect, dancing and boxing the night away! It was really fun playing it with a group of 10 adults, all drinking wine. ;) We laughed and laughed and the good times were a rollin’!

IMG_1570

I lost a slipper in all the excitement! lol

IMG_1574

IMG_1586

IMG_1579

I win. bahah

IMG_1575

That would be the look of defeat on Eric’s face. LOL!

P1050755

P1050759

P1050761

We drove home late this morning and the first thing I did when I got home is 1) Make a Green Monster, and 2) Convince myself that a workout would make all the difference. I hadn’t worked out in 3-4 days and it was really started to hit me and I was feeling so sluggish. I felt so much better after running a few miles, even if it wasn’t all that fun while I was sweating! It is hard getting back into the groove, but I find if I just focus on doing a bit at a time and not setting my goal too high, I am more likely to just do it.

IMG_2261

I have a lot of unpacking and organizing to do the rest of the day. See you soon!

Kris | iheartwellness.com December 27, 2010 at 4:12 pm

What a beautiful Boxing Day! I love that the big dinner is on boxing day so you get 1 extra day of holiday fun in the family :)

I felt the same way with the lack of workouts, so today I got enough energy to get some leg exercises on ;)

I need to know what is in these croquettes! YUM!

xxoo

Deborah December 27, 2010 at 4:14 pm

That feast looks wonderful and I’d love the recipe for that salad. I’ve been thinking about buying the farro that has recently shown up at Costco and I think it would probably work well in that dish. Are the croquettes made with potato?
Sounds like you had a lovely time :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Yes they are made with potato + herbs and traditionally cream and butter. Deelish both ways vegan and non vegan :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I almost forget the best part..they are deep fried!!!!!!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] December 27, 2010 at 4:15 pm

what a beautiful table scene! And I LOVE wheatberry salads!

Good job on hitting the treadmill. I need to! And I have that same magazine to keep me company when I do. :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite December 27, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Gorgeous table setting! Your meal looks amazing! :)

Keri December 27, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Wow, that table looks beautiful!

Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats December 27, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Recipe for the salad please!

Karen Beth December 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Would love to see the recipe for the salad. Looks so colorful and pretty!

Also pretty are those brussel sprouts and carrots tureens. Anywhere to find them in the US?

[email protected]

Michelle December 27, 2010 at 4:40 pm

That salad looks amazing! I’d be very interested in the recipe.
Are wheat berries what is used to grow wheat grass?

Sana December 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Your MIL is really sweet for making dishes that are for you to enjoy!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm

How sweet of your MIL to make a vegan entree for you!! I’ve been mostly vegan for a year now, but I’m seriously considering taking the full-on plunge starting in January. Your posts always inspire me to do so- I just get nervous about dining at others’!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010 at 4:48 pm

it’s tough at first, but once others get used to the idea it becomes a lot easier over time.

Shanna, like Banana December 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm

That table is simply gorgeous! What a talented MIL you have :)

I’m interested in the salad recipe — looks light, fresh, and tasty!

Zivile December 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Angela,

I just discovered your website and am very inspired by you and your story as well as your talent to bake, take amazing photographs and write.
I would love to subscribe for your blog, but wasn’t able to find a link (?)
Also, would love to hear about wheat berry salad.

Zivile

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Thanks Zivile! :)

There is a ‘follow’ tab on the right hand side of the blog. If you click the tab you can find the RSS subscription. :) Hope this helps!

Stacy @ Every Little Thing December 27, 2010 at 5:06 pm

The table is gorgeous! Looks like a great Boxing Day :)

Gina December 27, 2010 at 5:14 pm

I have had my fair share of baking disasters. I used to get so upset and now I just laugh it off. There’s always worse things in life.

I love the pictures of your family playing Kinect. Looks like you guys had such a fun time :)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman December 27, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Everything looks great. And yes, please, reveal the wheat berry recipe to us!

Camille December 27, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Oooh, so much good food!
Hey, one day wont kill you!

emma December 27, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Hi Angela!
It looks like you had a great boxing day! I can’t wait to go for a run tomorrow! :-) I just wanted to say that I think your blog is fab! You’re an inspration and I’m really enjoying trying out some of your recipes. Tomorrow I’m gonna try your “Carrot cake oats” for breakkie :-)
Thankyou for your beautiful blog. Hugs from the UK x x x

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010 at 5:34 pm

thanks! I hope you enjoy the oats. I think I will make them tomorrow AM too!

Jessica December 27, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Oh yes please post the recipe of your MIL’s salad! It looks amazing!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 27, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Love the pics of you and your family jammin in the living room! Oh those are classic, love em!

Recipes never turn out when you reallllly wannnnnnt them too. Instead, it’s the random throw it together and this is never gonna work ones that end up turning out great…and then those types, when you try to duplicate it again, well, they dont work out as well the 2nd/planned time as they do the 1st/random time…well, for me at least :)

I make a vegan GF banana bread but it’s very dense! Heavy. Not light like traditional banana bread…can’t wait to see what you come up with !

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010 at 5:33 pm

haha or you lose the recipe that you wrote down (as in the case of my s’more cake in a jar recipe that I can’t seem to replicate again! )

grocery goddess jen December 27, 2010 at 5:33 pm

I had to force myself to exercise today, too. Something about the snow and the chocolate consumed just makes me want to lie down and not move!

Moni'sMeals December 27, 2010 at 5:40 pm

What an amazing time and beautiful pics!

I love family Wii Time, haha! :)

What a great spread of tasty food!

[email protected] Stepping to the Brightside December 27, 2010 at 5:41 pm

This post reminds me of two things: 1. My dad danced to Britney Spears’ Womanizer through the Wii game “Just Dance” over the holiday and it made my life. 2. I need some cardio in my life as well :)

Bridget December 27, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I love how creative the table setting is!! So festive!!

I hear ya on the wine. My family and I went through quite a few bottles too hehe ;)

Laura @ Starloz December 27, 2010 at 6:37 pm

ohhhh, yes please share the recipe

Danielle December 27, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Those table photos really “glow!”

Fun times with the video games! We enjoy playing the Wii, it seems like the Kinect takes it a step up!

Cara Craves... December 27, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Oh my goodness that game looks hilarious.
I can only imagine how much you guys must have been laughing.
Too cute!

Dorry December 27, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Those photos are hilarious! I love that the whole family got involved. And delicious meal – I love all the vegan options. I ran today and it felt so good to get my body moving!

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks December 27, 2010 at 7:37 pm

What exactly does one do on Boxing Day? Just that? Eat and chillax with family and friends? I’ve always wondered if there was a specific purpose to the holiday.

I’m an American. I’m dumb about these (and many other) things! ;)

The feast looks wonderful though! And I feel you on the workout. I just ran a measly 1.8 miles today (have been away from running for a little bit), and I didn’t enjoy it while it was happening, but I felt SO much better after! So good in fact that I decided to walk the 4 miles to work and get a little extra activity in. Activity is good!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher December 28, 2010 at 12:55 am

I’m wondering the same thing. What is this “Boxing Day” you speak of? Actually, I’ll just google!

And yes, that navy bean recipe please!

Meredith December 27, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Gorgeous!
Ps. My fiance looked over my shoulder as I was reading and thought the sidebar on your treadmill was your leg. Very impressed. “She’s really running!!”

Lizzie December 27, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Banana bread recipe? Yes please. Wheatberry salad recipe? Yes please!!!! I need some new recipes to get me back into good eating :)

ezzie December 27, 2010 at 8:11 pm

All the food looks soooo delicious! & YES to the salad recipe pleaseeeee!! :D

Jil @ Big, City, Lil Kitchen December 27, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Those Kinect pictures are priceless!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 27, 2010 at 8:30 pm

That Murphy’s Law ALWAYS happens to me with recipes!!

[email protected] December 27, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I’m trying to get back in the workout groove after 4 days off, too. It’s tough!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010 at 9:28 pm

yesssss it is, isn’t it?

Anna December 27, 2010 at 9:23 pm

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve made those pumpkin/brownie cupcakes over the past few weeks (and how many of them I’ve eaten myself. I think my boyfriend got one. Once.) Can’t wait to see what goals you are setting yourself this year/New Year resolutions. I’m trying to write mine but feeling very uninspired!

Lee December 27, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Love the action shot of you at the end! Merry Christmas!

Ashley December 27, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Oh my gosh, please get the recipe for the vegan wheat berry and navy bean salad!! It looks absolutely amazing!

Faith @ lovelyascharged December 27, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Ahh, what a fun day! Adult games + adult beverages always make for the best of times. For the record, I’d love to see the recipe for that wheatgrass salad – it looks amazing!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun) December 27, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I can’t believe you can look so beautiful on the treadmill. When I’m on the treadmill I vaguely resemble a Christmas ham.

The Healthy Apple December 27, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Such a beautiful post…love the delicious food pictures and your vegan loaf…looks fabulous!
Happy Holidays.

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 27, 2010 at 10:35 pm

The food looks delicious!!! And it looks like the time after dinner was a blast!

Alisha December 27, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Nice! The food looked great :)

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut December 27, 2010 at 11:47 pm

What a beautiful table spread!! LOVE the wine glasses!

Ashley December 28, 2010 at 12:05 am

Looks like such a fun night of food + family. The Kinect photos are HILarious!!! :)

Shelby December 28, 2010 at 12:38 am

It all looks great!!! And your cursive writing is wonderful :-) Those nametags are beautiful!
And I loved the pictures of the Kinect game!! Hahahaa :-) and I LOVE the photo of your slipper flying off! Thats great!!!
I’m glad you had a blast!! And yes one day at a time and you’ll get back into the groove :-)
I always love reading!

Denise (the apple hill adventurer) December 28, 2010 at 1:00 am

that salad looks aaaaaamzing. recipe PLEASE. you blog is a nice inspiration. i have been having trouble with the people in my life accepting my veganism .. the holidays are especially hard. knowing there are other compassionate people out there is really comforting. BOOKMARKING your blog for sure~

Alaina December 28, 2010 at 1:17 am

I just had the Little Penguin wine for Christmas and I was really impressed! I think it was a Pinot Noir.

What a fun night playing Kinect! Your family looks like so much fun :-)

Leia December 28, 2010 at 3:59 am

I love that you are reading a food mag while on the treadmill! I’m so going to try that! :D

Danielle December 28, 2010 at 5:31 am

It makes me happy to know that I’m not the only one who has recipes that don’t turn out =)…I’ve been experimenting so much lately and haven’t had any luck! It was really discouraging until I talked to quite a few good cooks who have experienced the same thing!

I have to tell you though…if that vegan banana bread was sitting in front of me I’d eat the whole thing in one sitting! It looks so good! =)

oh and one more thing–how do you control your appetite duing the holidays and even in general? Because I’m supposed to gain weight, I’ve been allowing myself treats and this has caused me to eat way past the point of feeling full…where I feel completely sick. I’ve been giving in waaaay too much lately and have been sliding back into my old habits of binging and this scares me =/ How did you finally overcome your “binging days”? Any advice for someone like me? =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010 at 9:07 am

Hi Danielle,
I wrote two posts on binge eating that may help you!
FAQ Installment 15 (binge eating: Part 1: http://ohsheglows.com/2009/02/04/the-unspoken-issue/

FAQ Installment 16 (Binge eating: Part 2: http://ohsheglows.com/2009/02/05/the-unspoken-issue-part-2/

Danielle December 28, 2010 at 11:09 am

Thank you so much Angela!!! =)

Lou December 28, 2010 at 5:40 am

that is barely anything they were mostly vegetables :) christmas is all about eating!
and i am definitely interested in the wheat berry and navy bean salad!

Kristy December 28, 2010 at 7:34 am

It is my life goal to come to one of your fancy dinner parties. I want a little bulb with my name card on it :-) just once….

Dani @ Body By Nature December 28, 2010 at 7:48 am

What a gorgeous dinner!

I would love the recipe for the wheat berry/navy bean salad…those are 2 of my favourites!!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 28, 2010 at 7:52 am

I’m like you: Partying is fun and all but after a week, my body craves a workout and some TLC :P I can’t wait to buy some kale so I can finally have a green monster :)

Elena December 28, 2010 at 8:00 am

Your meal looks delicious! I love the cookies and the idea of putting the names for each to the table…….You had a party time for an entire week.

tweal December 28, 2010 at 8:25 am

What a nice family celebration you all had – those croquettes look pretty good. Pretty table setting too :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 28, 2010 at 8:39 am

I’m super impressed that you can read a magazine while running! I’ve tried, but I just could not focus on the words at all!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2010 at 9:04 am

im not very good at it!!

jenna December 28, 2010 at 8:53 am

I would love to have the bean recipe! it looks amazing! I love that you get straight to business when you get home! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 28, 2010 at 9:16 am

My favorite part is that Granny is doing the Wii – HILARIOUS!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 28, 2010 at 9:16 am

I love that you guys were “boxing” on Boxing Day! :)

That wheatberry salad looks fantastic! Any tips on cooking them? I’ve only eaten it in restaurants and am in the mood to try it out at home.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter December 28, 2010 at 10:14 am

Wow! I absolutely LOVE those table decorations! I really want to do that for my family next year.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 28, 2010 at 11:35 am

What a delicious feast! Looks like you had an amazing Boxing Day and Christmas Ange! Can’t wait to catch up soon! :)

Amber K December 28, 2010 at 12:49 pm

That salad looks amazing! Yum. I would swap in quinoa because I love it, but still. Delicious.

Sommer J December 28, 2010 at 12:57 pm

great post!! looks like an amazing day with gorgeous food.

Cheryl December 29, 2010 at 5:33 am

What a lovely day! Makes me feel all warm inside when i see families enjoying each others company and just laughing and having fun. Angela your site has been such an insipiration to me, in many ways and i’m so grateful that you share your recipes and thoughts and experiences on here. I have just finished up cutting and pasting some of your recipes onto a word doc so that i can have a ‘recipe book’ to cook by. I have never been much of a cook but am inspired to give it a go in 2011. Thank you so much and happy new year! : )

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 29, 2010 at 8:43 am

Thank you Cheryl!

[email protected] All Ways Nutritious December 31, 2010 at 7:16 pm

your banana bread looks great. i posted one not too long ago from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen and it tasted amazing!! maybe give that one a try :) happy new year.