Boxing Day Feast

Murphy’s Law of Vegan Baking:

When you desperately want a new recipe to work out, it won’t.

This is why you got a 1,000 words post yesterday instead of the recipe that Eric and I made!

IMG 7448 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

We made vegan banana bread and while it turned out pretty good, it needs a few tweaks until I am ready to post the recipe. I think I used too much baking soda!

It will be coming soon though. I already picked up some ripe bananas on the drive home.

Yesterday was Boxing Day and boy did we ever have a feast! My mother-in-law, Margaret, always has her big Christmas dinner on Boxing Day and it was pretty much a full day of face stuffing from breakfast until dessert around 10pm. I’m feeling like I have a bit of a ‘food hangover’ today!

As per usual, she rocked the table decor once again. My MIL is the queen of table settings.

IMG 7562 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

Every holiday she does something completely new and it always looks stunning.

IMG 7563 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

I was in charge of the name tags. ;) It has been so long since I have used cursive hand writing though, I felt a bit rusty!

IMG 7566 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

IMG 7569 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

IMG 7571 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

IMG 7572 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

IMG 7617 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

IMG 7575 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

We polished off many bottles of wine! Yes, yes, we did.

IMG 7579 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

IMG 7629 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

IMG 7583 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

And we feasted on incredibly delicious food!

IMG 7598 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

Classic Stuffing, turkey, asparagus..

IMG 7600 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

Caesar Salad…

IMG 7601 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

Brussels sprouts & carrots…

IMG 7602 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

My MIL’s famous Croquettes (her mom’s Irish recipe) are below. We also made a vegan version this year using almond milk and Earth Balance (on the right) and Eric said he could barely taste the difference between the two! I was really happy to be able to enjoy them again.

IMG 7603 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

My MIL also surprised me with this amazing vegan wheat berry and navy bean salad that was TOP SECRET until dinner was served!

IMG 7604 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

It was absolutely amazing and everyone raved about it. If you guys are interested, I will get the recipe and do a recipe post on it.

IMG 7606 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

I was quite hungry when dinner was served and I STUFFED myself until I was literally uncomfortable. I just couldn’t help myself!

IMG 7608 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

I had a huge serving of the vegan salad (plus seconds), croquettes, Brussels sprouts, carrots, asparagus, salad.

IMG 7610 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

I ate every bite!

IMG 7612 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

For dessert I had 2 Nanaimo squares and a couple vegan gingersnap cookies.

IMG 7630 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

IMG 6906 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

And wine.

Too much for my belly!

We worked our dinner off with a couple hours of Kinect, dancing and boxing the night away! It was really fun playing it with a group of 10 adults, all drinking wine. ;) We laughed and laughed and the good times were a rollin’!

IMG 1570 thumb1   Boxing Day Feast

I lost a slipper in all the excitement! lol

IMG 1574 thumb1   Boxing Day Feast

IMG 1586 thumb1   Boxing Day Feast

IMG 1579 thumb1   Boxing Day Feast

I win. bahah

IMG 1575 thumb1   Boxing Day Feast

That would be the look of defeat on Eric’s face. LOL!

P1050755 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

P1050759 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

P1050761 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

We drove home late this morning and the first thing I did when I got home is 1) Make a Green Monster, and 2) Convince myself that a workout would make all the difference. I hadn’t worked out in 3-4 days and it was really started to hit me and I was feeling so sluggish. I felt so much better after running a few miles, even if it wasn’t all that fun while I was sweating! It is hard getting back into the groove, but I find if I just focus on doing a bit at a time and not setting my goal too high, I am more likely to just do it.

IMG 2261 thumb   Boxing Day Feast

I have a lot of unpacking and organizing to do the rest of the day. See you soon!

Kris | iheartwellness.com December 27, 2010

What a beautiful Boxing Day! I love that the big dinner is on boxing day so you get 1 extra day of holiday fun in the family :)

I felt the same way with the lack of workouts, so today I got enough energy to get some leg exercises on ;)

I need to know what is in these croquettes! YUM!

xxoo

Deborah December 27, 2010

That feast looks wonderful and I’d love the recipe for that salad. I’ve been thinking about buying the farro that has recently shown up at Costco and I think it would probably work well in that dish. Are the croquettes made with potato?
Sounds like you had a lovely time :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010

Yes they are made with potato + herbs and traditionally cream and butter. Deelish both ways vegan and non vegan :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010

I almost forget the best part..they are deep fried!!!!!!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] December 27, 2010

what a beautiful table scene! And I LOVE wheatberry salads!

Good job on hitting the treadmill. I need to! And I have that same magazine to keep me company when I do. :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite December 27, 2010

Gorgeous table setting! Your meal looks amazing! :)

Keri December 27, 2010

Wow, that table looks beautiful!

Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats December 27, 2010

Recipe for the salad please!

Karen Beth December 27, 2010

Would love to see the recipe for the salad. Looks so colorful and pretty!

Also pretty are those brussel sprouts and carrots tureens. Anywhere to find them in the US?

msred5@yahoo.com

Michelle December 27, 2010

That salad looks amazing! I’d be very interested in the recipe.
Are wheat berries what is used to grow wheat grass?

Sana December 27, 2010

Your MIL is really sweet for making dishes that are for you to enjoy!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 27, 2010

How sweet of your MIL to make a vegan entree for you!! I’ve been mostly vegan for a year now, but I’m seriously considering taking the full-on plunge starting in January. Your posts always inspire me to do so- I just get nervous about dining at others’!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010

it’s tough at first, but once others get used to the idea it becomes a lot easier over time.

Shanna, like Banana December 27, 2010

That table is simply gorgeous! What a talented MIL you have :)

I’m interested in the salad recipe — looks light, fresh, and tasty!

Zivile December 27, 2010

Angela,

I just discovered your website and am very inspired by you and your story as well as your talent to bake, take amazing photographs and write.
I would love to subscribe for your blog, but wasn’t able to find a link (?)
Also, would love to hear about wheat berry salad.

Zivile

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010

Thanks Zivile! :)

There is a ‘follow’ tab on the right hand side of the blog. If you click the tab you can find the RSS subscription. :) Hope this helps!

Stacy @ Every Little Thing December 27, 2010

The table is gorgeous! Looks like a great Boxing Day :)

Gina December 27, 2010

I have had my fair share of baking disasters. I used to get so upset and now I just laugh it off. There’s always worse things in life.

I love the pictures of your family playing Kinect. Looks like you guys had such a fun time :)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman December 27, 2010

Everything looks great. And yes, please, reveal the wheat berry recipe to us!

Camille December 27, 2010

Oooh, so much good food!
Hey, one day wont kill you!

emma December 27, 2010

Hi Angela!
It looks like you had a great boxing day! I can’t wait to go for a run tomorrow! :-) I just wanted to say that I think your blog is fab! You’re an inspration and I’m really enjoying trying out some of your recipes. Tomorrow I’m gonna try your “Carrot cake oats” for breakkie :-)
Thankyou for your beautiful blog. Hugs from the UK x x x

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010

thanks! I hope you enjoy the oats. I think I will make them tomorrow AM too!

Jessica December 27, 2010

Oh yes please post the recipe of your MIL’s salad! It looks amazing!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 27, 2010

Love the pics of you and your family jammin in the living room! Oh those are classic, love em!

Recipes never turn out when you reallllly wannnnnnt them too. Instead, it’s the random throw it together and this is never gonna work ones that end up turning out great…and then those types, when you try to duplicate it again, well, they dont work out as well the 2nd/planned time as they do the 1st/random time…well, for me at least :)

I make a vegan GF banana bread but it’s very dense! Heavy. Not light like traditional banana bread…can’t wait to see what you come up with !

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010

haha or you lose the recipe that you wrote down (as in the case of my s’more cake in a jar recipe that I can’t seem to replicate again! )

grocery goddess jen December 27, 2010

I had to force myself to exercise today, too. Something about the snow and the chocolate consumed just makes me want to lie down and not move!

Moni'sMeals December 27, 2010

What an amazing time and beautiful pics!

I love family Wii Time, haha! :)

What a great spread of tasty food!

Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside December 27, 2010

This post reminds me of two things: 1. My dad danced to Britney Spears’ Womanizer through the Wii game “Just Dance” over the holiday and it made my life. 2. I need some cardio in my life as well :)

Bridget December 27, 2010

I love how creative the table setting is!! So festive!!

I hear ya on the wine. My family and I went through quite a few bottles too hehe ;)

Laura @ Starloz December 27, 2010

ohhhh, yes please share the recipe

Danielle December 27, 2010

Those table photos really “glow!”

Fun times with the video games! We enjoy playing the Wii, it seems like the Kinect takes it a step up!

Cara Craves... December 27, 2010

Oh my goodness that game looks hilarious.
I can only imagine how much you guys must have been laughing.
Too cute!

Dorry December 27, 2010

Those photos are hilarious! I love that the whole family got involved. And delicious meal – I love all the vegan options. I ran today and it felt so good to get my body moving!

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks December 27, 2010

What exactly does one do on Boxing Day? Just that? Eat and chillax with family and friends? I’ve always wondered if there was a specific purpose to the holiday.

I’m an American. I’m dumb about these (and many other) things! ;)

The feast looks wonderful though! And I feel you on the workout. I just ran a measly 1.8 miles today (have been away from running for a little bit), and I didn’t enjoy it while it was happening, but I felt SO much better after! So good in fact that I decided to walk the 4 miles to work and get a little extra activity in. Activity is good!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher December 28, 2010

I’m wondering the same thing. What is this “Boxing Day” you speak of? Actually, I’ll just google!

And yes, that navy bean recipe please!

Meredith December 27, 2010

Gorgeous!
Ps. My fiance looked over my shoulder as I was reading and thought the sidebar on your treadmill was your leg. Very impressed. “She’s really running!!”

Lizzie December 27, 2010

Banana bread recipe? Yes please. Wheatberry salad recipe? Yes please!!!! I need some new recipes to get me back into good eating :)

ezzie December 27, 2010

All the food looks soooo delicious! & YES to the salad recipe pleaseeeee!! :D

Jil @ Big, City, Lil Kitchen December 27, 2010

Those Kinect pictures are priceless!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 27, 2010

That Murphy’s Law ALWAYS happens to me with recipes!!

Jess@atasteofconfidence December 27, 2010

I’m trying to get back in the workout groove after 4 days off, too. It’s tough!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 27, 2010

yesssss it is, isn’t it?

Anna December 27, 2010

I cannot tell you how many times I’ve made those pumpkin/brownie cupcakes over the past few weeks (and how many of them I’ve eaten myself. I think my boyfriend got one. Once.) Can’t wait to see what goals you are setting yourself this year/New Year resolutions. I’m trying to write mine but feeling very uninspired!

Lee December 27, 2010

Love the action shot of you at the end! Merry Christmas!

Ashley December 27, 2010

Oh my gosh, please get the recipe for the vegan wheat berry and navy bean salad!! It looks absolutely amazing!

Faith @ lovelyascharged December 27, 2010

Ahh, what a fun day! Adult games + adult beverages always make for the best of times. For the record, I’d love to see the recipe for that wheatgrass salad – it looks amazing!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun) December 27, 2010

I can’t believe you can look so beautiful on the treadmill. When I’m on the treadmill I vaguely resemble a Christmas ham.

The Healthy Apple December 27, 2010

Such a beautiful post…love the delicious food pictures and your vegan loaf…looks fabulous!
Happy Holidays.