Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

IMG_6507

As winter sets in and my desire for a hot breakfast grows, I find myself searching for the perfect bowl of hot oatmeal.

IMG_6634

I’m pretty picky when it comes to hot oatmeal. If you have been reading the blog for a while now, you may remember that I used to dislike homemade hot oatmeal. There was just something about it that made my stomach feel off after eating.

But I don’t go down without a fight. I have been on a quest to make a hot oatmeal recipe that I would fall in love with and I think I have finally found my match. I attempted a couple carrot cake oatmeal recipes last winter, but they never turned out as good as I was hoping. This recipe finally got it right!

If you enjoy carrot cake, you will go absolutely crazy for this bowl of oatmeal. I could totally see this as a fun, quick, and easy holiday breakfast for families who are looking for something that tastes indulgent, but is packed with nutrients and a full cup of carrots per bowl.

IMG_6608-2 - Copy

I believe i t would turn any oatmeal hater into a fanatic with first bite.

IMG_6612b

Gather up the troops.

IMG_6615

I urge you to make this recipe exactly as I wrote it above…it was that good!!!

IMG_6612

Finely grate your carrot.

IMG_6507

Gnaw on stump.

Who knew you could eat a heaping cup’s worth of carrot in a bowl of oats and it would taste amazing?

Heat over low-medium.

IMG_6509

After cooking for about 8 minutes it will be nice and thick:

IMG_6511

Pour into a bowl.

IMG_6512

I picked up this cute mini casserole from Benix the other day and it makes the perfect oatmeal vessel!

IMG_6516

The best part about the mini casserole dish is that you can pop the lid on and refrigerate any leftovers that you have. I had some leftover and I just ate it as a snack later on in the day, straight from the fridge!

Garnish with 1 tbsp of crushed walnuts and 1 tsp of shredded coconut. Sweetened coconut, if you are feeling downright crazy.

IMG_6528

Now pour on the 1 tbsp of coconut milk cream + maple syrup mixture and drizzle your heart out!

IMG_6542

This mixture tastes incredible. Silky, creamy, and sweet. It is the perfect topping for the carrot cake oats!

IMG_6582

Want a bite?

IMG_6598

I also tried this recipe making vegan overnight oats and it wasn’t as good as the cooked version. I will have to do some tweaking of the recipe…

IMG_6608

I was feeling crazy, so I ventured outdoors for some pictures!

IMG_6579

IMG_6571

The great thing about oatmeal is that you can take it outside in the cold for a photoshoot, come back indoors, and it is still hot! bahaha.

My mini casserole dish got me thinking how great this recipe would be adapted for several servings and poured into a large casserole dish.

You could easily double, triple, quadruple (etc) the recipe to serve the amount of people that you need to. Then simply, pour the cooked oats into a large casserole dish, add your toppings, and use a large spoon to serve so others can scoop out their desired portion onto their plate.

I think it would be a wonderful holiday breakfast!

IMG_6573

If you are looking for a delicious, healthy, and super quick holiday breakfast, you should give this one a shot.

Just be warned….an obsession may set in…

BYE!

1 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 21, 2010

I wish that the rest of my family liked oatmeal so I could make this as a Christmas breakfast for everyone!! It looks AMAZING…I’ll just have to save it all for myself then :)

2 Therese December 21, 2010

Mmm!!! That looks (and sounds) AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Caree @ Fit-Mama December 21, 2010

YUM! I will have to try this!!

4 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin December 21, 2010

Yum that sounds unbelievable!! I have oatmeal almost every day for breakfast – I might have to try this combo soon!

5 Megan @ Sweet On December 21, 2010

Oh my! *bookmarking*

And I have to say…a full LITER of maple syrup?? I think I just died… o.O Yum!

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

LOL…I thought I wrote the recipe wrong so I went back and checked it and then I realized you were talking about the picture

7 Melissa @ Be Not Simply Good December 21, 2010

I know! I can only find itty bitty bottles of maple syrup!

8 Allison @ Food For Healing December 21, 2010

I’ve just been hooked on eating my Nature’s Path apple cinnamon instant oatmeal because its easiest at work. maybe next week when i’m off work i’ll make some more exciting oatmeal for my breakfast life!

9 Michelle December 21, 2010

This looks very delicious, but I love any hot oatmeal.

By the way, you remind me a lot of the Norwegian actress Maria Bonnevie. Have a google look :).

10 Tara September 26, 2012

I think she looks like Julie Benz…. very beautiful :)

11 kate December 21, 2010

I never eat Carrot Cake because of the ridiculous calories, fat, etc..but I love it so much! This is like an early Christmas present! I cannot wait to try it out!!

12 sarah December 21, 2010

oh my goodness
that looks so good! I wish I could smell it through my lap top.

13 Julie December 21, 2010

Mmm im STILL addicted to your hot comforting pumpkin pie oatmeal, obsession has set in.

14 Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside December 21, 2010

This looks fabu! And how nice to see an orange oatmeal completely void of pumpkin… not that there’s anything WRONG with pumpkin, I’m just a tad tired of it at the moment ;)

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

haha I have not had pumpkin since my pumpkin detox a while back! I completely made myself sick of it for the rest of the season. I dont even desire it anymore! Such a shame..lol. I blame the PFB pumpkin challenge b/c I tested out a ton of pumpkin recipes until I was blue in the face.

Dear pumpkin,
Dont hate me. I shall love you again next season.
xoxo

16 Agnieszka December 21, 2010

i have the same . i even got diarrhea because of excessive amount of pumpkin. But i still enjoy it, i think i love it too much eheh. I love incorporating veggies into your every meal. It is super challenge. I am gonna try putting carrots everywhere where for example apples are required. generally trying out diffrent ways of serving typical meals is super cool. I am gonna try mixing carrots and oatmeal. Oh so much variations you can discover haha
What about your workouts? Do u still run outside?

17 Heather (Heather's Dish) December 21, 2010

you’ve got to be kidding with this…i would DIE OF HAPPINESS…really though! i can’t wait to make this for my hubby’s family in a couple days!

18 Katie December 21, 2010

I used to make this all the time a few years ago. Try it with pineapple chunks and/or raisins too. Deicious!

19 Bronwyn Coyne December 21, 2010

That’s such a fun spin on oatmeal. I love your little serving pot! Makes it look even cozier. :)

20 Little Bookworm December 21, 2010

Love the sound of that recipe. Haven’t had cake carrot porridge in ages!

21 Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) December 21, 2010

This sounds absolutely heavenly and impossible to resist. I need to shake up my morning oats routine.

22 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 21, 2010

That looks really good! I’ve had a bit of a craving for carrots recently. Just a random thing that comes and goes every once in a while.

23 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 21, 2010

I saw your Twitter comment about having the best oatmeal ever! And I wondered if you were gonna post about it…glad you did! Looks yum! :D

24 steff (steffsays) December 21, 2010

that looks so fabulous! i have been eating oatmeal almost every day this week since it has been so damn cold and this looks like a delicious way to step outside my usual oatmeal box!

25 Ashley December 21, 2010

That looks ssooo good! but it looks freezing outsie you’re braver than me I would never go out there haha.

26 Estela @ Weekly Bite December 21, 2010

Carrot Cake is my all time favorite dessert!! There’s no way I wouldn’t love this :)

27 carlee December 21, 2010

WOW Angela. That’s gorgeous.
Your so good at presenting food.
I wish I had more bowls and scenery and stuff.
ANyways I have had a form of carrot cake oatmeal on my blog but not quite that good sounding nor looking.
I am trying that when I go to the store next to buy some carrots and coconut milk! COUNT ON IT!:)

28 Jessica December 21, 2010

Ohhhhhh this looks just heavenly! Both the grub and the snow :)

29 Marina December 21, 2010

I adore carrot cake oatmeal.
I would have no problem with eating the biggest serving of it :D

30 Ann @ Day By Day December 21, 2010

That may just end up being our Christmas breakfast if I can convince my family how much they would love it. The one I really need to work on is my Mom- she’s the only one who doesn’t like oatmeal in my family and I really can’t comprehend it! I offer to make her some probably every other day when I’m home for Christmas haha. I’ve got all the ingredients except the coconut milk cream…

31 Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut December 21, 2010

Im sad that I already had oatmeal today because I want to make this NOW! I will have to be patient until tomorrow morning ;)

32 ezzie December 21, 2010

YUMM!! I just had oatmeal for breakfast, but I still feel like I NEED THAT CARROT CAKE OATMEALL!

33 rachel December 21, 2010

that looks incredible! carrot cake is yum, i bet this is amazing.

34 Paula December 21, 2010

Mmmmmm…… I am definitely going to try this!

I used to not like oatmeal either – I found the texture off-putting. That’s why I LOVE steel cut oats! Angela, if you have never tried making steel cut oats I heartily recommend you try it sometime in these cold winter months – you’ll thank me later! They do take a while to cook (low and slow) but it’s worth it. I’ve heard of people using a crockpot or other overnight methods to speed up the process in the morning but never tried it myself.

If you try steel cut oats, let me know what you think – better yet, blog about it :) I hope you like ’em!

35 Tiffany @ Conor & Bella December 21, 2010

That looks fantastic! I’ll have to pick up a few ingredients that I’m missing and make this soon!

36 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete December 21, 2010

I never even thought about putting carrots in my oatmeal. You are always coming up with creative breaky ideas! Thanks!

37 Diana @ Run4Life December 21, 2010

mmm looks delish! What a fun way to switch up oatmeal. I love oatmeal for breakfast but it can get kinda boring after a while. I’ll have to try your recipe soon!

38 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 21, 2010

This looks amazing! I was thinking the other day about how to incorporate carrots into my oats because as you know, I am a carrot monster! I bet Eric is loving you for making these! :)

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

yes! He said it was the only bowl of oats he has ever wanted to try! I am going to make it for him one morning

40 Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) December 21, 2010

I really wish I could just reach my spoon into your pictures and take a bite :) This looks sooooo goood :)

41 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 21, 2010

You are so right, if this doesnt turn someone into an oatmeal lover, nothing will!

I love carrot cake…ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, all those flavors…I heart them all. And I know I would love this spin on oatmeal! Yum!

I ordered my Dslr last night. One day I hope my photos are as beautiful as yours…truly, if your blogging/cooking/recipes/advanced degrees ever dont pan out for you (yeah, right!) you could be a professional photographer. I learn when I see your pics. Thank you :)

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

you are sweet! I cant wait to see how you like your dslr…there is a big learning curve at the beginning so don’t get discouraged.

43 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons December 21, 2010

so creative! i LOOOOOVE carrot cake! its my favorite dessert ever — might have to try this! =)

44 Jaime December 21, 2010

That looks amazing! :) Do you soak your oats before eating them? I’ve been reading a lot about the phytic acid content in oats and grains, and how if they aren’t soaked, it can inhibit the absorbtion of many nutrients, and leave you deficient. I guess if you only eat oatmeal once in awhile, it’s not a big deal…. but if you eat them everyday, it could be. Thoughts?

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

I havent heard about this…but I do not soak my oats before cooking.

46 Veronica @ lifewithnature December 21, 2010

There is phytic acid in oats, as in many other foods. Soaking/sprouting is a great way to reduce the phytic acid content of your grains. But even if phytic acid can interfere with the absorbtion of certain nutrients, espeially minerals, I doubt that eating unsoaked oatmeal will leave you mineral deficient if you have an otherwise healthy diet. And Angela’s carrot cake oatmeal sounds too delicious not to try it! (but if you like, you can soak your oats at least one hour before eating them. You can let them soak overnight in the fridge, drain, and yhe oats will be soft enough to skip the cooking part).

47 Katy @ A Healthy Shot December 21, 2010

I’m so sad that I have to wait until tomorrow to try this!! haha My oats have been pretty unimpressive lately, and I just can’t get into the pumpkin obsession- these look awesome :)

48 Elle December 21, 2010

I’ve GOT to try this because, so far, the only way I can enjoy oats is your savory recipe. So I totally trust you to guide me to a sweet recipe, which I’ve wanted to give another shot for a while!

49 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 21, 2010

Definitely will get my veggies in this way…

50 Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) December 21, 2010

I must make this! I’ve never used coconut “cream,” but definitely worth trying. Thank you!

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

Hope you like it! It’s just the creamy part at the top of the can…in a full fat coconut milk can there is usually about 1/4-1/3 cup’s worth of this cream. its blissful and basically the vegan equivalent to cow’s cream :)

52 Jen December 21, 2010

Simply amazing! I love carrot cake, but it’s not so good for my weight loss efforts, this will help with the cravings!!

Jen

53 Lori December 21, 2010

Damn! That looks incredible!

54 Shanna, like Banana December 21, 2010

Oatmeal makes my heart sore. Honest.

I’m intrigued by the carrot cake verison you showcase..and yes I’d like a bite!

55 Genevieve December 21, 2010

Thanks for a new twist on oatmeal! I was starting to get a bit bored with my pumpkin oats ;) And I was looking for new ways to eat carrots too. I would totally use the “2 birds and stone” saying, but I don’t like the idea of killing a bird ;)

56 Tulika December 21, 2010

Not only do I want to try these delicious looking oats immediately, but the pictures REALLY top it off!! Especially the picture of the little bowl in the snow…LOVE it!

57 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 21, 2010

This would be amazing as a Christmas morning breakfast! It’s too bad the rest of my family doesn’t like oatmeal. :P I’ll definitely be trying this for myself though!

58 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

My fam aren’t big oatmeal people either, but i may try to offer it anyways!

59 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 21, 2010

Carrot cake is my favorite… finally a version you can feel good about eating for breakfast!

Not that I have issues with dessert for breakfast… I just made overnight oats in a Nutella jar. :)

60 Laura @ Tidbits December 21, 2010

OH MY!!!!
this looks amazing!!!! going to make it for my xmas eve breakfast for sure! :)

61 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg December 21, 2010

Mmmmm….anything that riffs off of carrot cake is GOOD WITH ME. :-)

62 Kath December 21, 2010

I have been debating taking my oats outside to our snow for days! But every time I imagine the oats getting too cold and change my mind. Mine would definitely get cold!

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

I think my tiny casserole dish kept them warm :)

64 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious December 21, 2010

fabulous idea!!! i love your outside shots!

65 Bridget December 21, 2010

I love the idea of coconut milk in oatmeal! And the way you serve it in that little dish is so adorable :)

66 Colleen December 21, 2010

The oatmeal and delightful casserole dish look divine!!!

67 Tamara December 21, 2010

Holy yum!!!!

68 Caroline December 21, 2010

Yum…I love carrot cake…recently I’ve been obsessed with baked oatmeals like on HTP…I’m going to try a carrot cake version of that and report back!

69 Melissa @ Be Not Simply Good December 21, 2010

I definitely want to try this!!! It sounds delicious, and I have an abundance of carrots at the moment. We’ve just recently tried coconut cream with oats or rice as a breakfast cereal, and it tastes SO GOOD. :)

70 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} December 21, 2010

I am a huge carrot cake fan…this looks like the ultimate breakfast.

71 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 21, 2010

I love this recipe! Will have to try it ASAP!

72 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! December 21, 2010

So I am on maternity leave and having a glum day so I decided to make this for an early dinner for myself and IT IS DELICIOUS!!! I didn’t have coconut cream so I subbed in regular cream (thereby de-vegan-izing it…d’oh!) and used crushed almonds instead of walnuts and I am in heaven. I just really needed to tell you this. I don’t know if you’ve ever thought about writing a cookbook, but if you do…include this one!

73 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

Robyn Im so glad you enjoyed it! Glad you could modify it and it still turn out yummy too! :)

74 Annie@stronghealthyfit December 21, 2010

Brilliant.

75 Healthy Chocoholic December 21, 2010

I personally am not a huge carrot cake fan, but my sister is!! Maybe if I made this for her, she’d eat oatmeal! =D

76 Lauren at KeepItSweet December 21, 2010

what a great way to have veggies for breakfast:-) oh, and i am so glad you left out raisins! some people love them but i can’t stand them in anything cooked

77 Sheila Viers | Live Well 360 December 21, 2010

This sounds fantastic Angela! I made a carrot cake oatmeal a few years ago as part of my 30-day oatmeal challenge and I whipped up some cream cheese “frosting” for it as well (mine wasn’t vegan). So yummy. I’ve since switched over from cream cheese + yogurt, to a whipped cottage cheese “frosting”. Anyway, doesn’t it make breakfast so much more exciting to make a dessert out of it?! :-)

78 Pearl (Crunch and Chew) December 21, 2010

I think I’ll just have to join you and Eric for breakfast from now on!

79 Tina December 21, 2010

This looks delishh!! You’ve got me thinking now…maybe carrot cake scones for Christmas morning? Hmm.. :)

80 Ashley @ the fit academic December 21, 2010

Wow – this sounds amazing! Love the pictures of the bowl in the snow. You must be brave, indeed! I would be huddled up next to the fire in a big fluffy robe! : )

81 Kathryn December 21, 2010

This looks AWESOME! What do you do with the rest of the coconut milk?

82 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman December 21, 2010

Oh my goodness, this looks SO good!

83 Camille December 21, 2010

Oh my gosh, that looks incredible! I wish I had the ingredients on hand right now!

84 Danielle December 21, 2010

What a fun way to start off the day with some vitamin A!

85 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 21, 2010

this is so great! i’ve got coconut butter that would go perfectly on top of this too :)

86 ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska December 21, 2010

I want this– now, for dinner! What a fabulous way to sneak an extra vegetable into your day. Yummy!

87 Darcy @ She Sings at the Table December 21, 2010

Thank you for another brilliant hidden veggie breakfast inspiration! Those a.m. vegetables always make me feel great throughout the day. And the tiny casserole dish is too cute!

88 Lee December 21, 2010

yay for breakfast posts! I love when you post your breakfast! Where did you get that spoon from? I am on the hunt for a plastic spoon JUST like that and I can’t find one anywhere!

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

its from crate & barrel :)

90 Kelsi December 22, 2010

i’ve been so sick of carrots lately. i think this will pull me out of my rut.

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 22, 2010

i was sick of carrots for a while too!

92 Ruthie December 22, 2010

Oh lordy… Angela you made my heart skip a beat with this recipe! I am so going to beds right this instant so I can wake up and make it :)

93 Wei-Wei December 22, 2010

Oh my GOD.

94 Leia December 22, 2010

Oh my gosh this looks delicious! I’ve been trying to figure out interesting ways to eat oats because having the same breakfast every day can get boring. AND I’m trying to get my family members to start having porridge for breakfast… so this looks perfect!! I’ve heard that cooked carrots aren’t as nutritious because they turn to sugar (?) but what the heck, this looks so yummy that I *have* to give it a try!

95 Andy Levy-Stevenson December 22, 2010

How do you think this would be as a dessert?

It seems like it would be similar to a rice pudding, which makes perfect sense for dessert … but oatmeal might say “breakfast” too loudly for dessert eaters?

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 22, 2010

dessert…hmmm not sure it would cut it?

97 Jil @ Big, City, Lil Kitchen December 22, 2010

This looks incredible!

98 Holly December 22, 2010

Made this today! DELICIOUS! I made a few substitutions (Pumpkin Spice Silk Soymilk instead of Coconut Milk, GF rolled oats, big glob of home made PB on top). Delicious Angela, thanks for the recipe!
PS My Husband just woke up and asked if I was in the middle of baking something, this recipe is a WINNER!

99 Roz December 22, 2010

In a word, YUM! This looks delicious. As always, LOVE your photos, and seriously love the little red bowl with the lid!!!

100 Angela W December 22, 2010

Got up early today and made this for my hubby before work… we both loooooved it! What a treat, thanks for the recipe! :) My friend just told me about your blog, and I think I’m going to be a frequent visitor!

101 Emily December 22, 2010

This sounds so yummy!
Okay so I don’t have Almond or Coconut Milk. Can this still be made with regular milk? I am hoping that I can try this oatmeal this week!

Help =0}

102 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 22, 2010

I think someone above you commented that they used a sub for coconut milk and it worked…I think she used pumpkin spiced soy milk :) yum

103 Faith @ lovelyascharged December 22, 2010

Yes, yes I do want a bite ;) Looks delicious, as usual!

104 Katherine: Unemployed December 22, 2010

You have such a great eye for photography. Even more amazing that the recipe etc is the way you present it all in the images! love these

PS: I used to read your blog when I was doing one over the summer and now am starting again; glad to be reading again!

105 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 22, 2010

Thanks Katherine!

106 Sophia December 22, 2010

Nom nom nom! Looks delicious, and I am so NOT a carrot person! The casserole dish is adorable too. I want one!

107 Amber K December 22, 2010

I have been having overnight oatmeal for breakfast every single morning even as the temperature gets colder and colder. Then again I am also still eating 1-2 smoothies a day. What can I say? I like summer food better. :)

108 Cassie December 22, 2010

Looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have you ever tried making carrot cake pancakes??
they are delicious!

109 Alexandra December 22, 2010

Hi Angela! That looks amazing! I’m always looking for a new oatmeal recipe to try.
I’ve been reading your blog for quite a while, but this is my first time commenting. Your blog is so much fun to read, inspiring, and absolutely beautiful! I just started my own blog and would love to know your opinion on it. If you get a chance, please check it out!

110 Alexandra December 22, 2010

I’ve been reading your blog for a while, but this is my first time commenting. Your blog is super fun to read, inspiring, and absolutely beautiful! I just started my own blog and would love to know your opinion on it. If you get a chance, please check it out!

111 Sara December 22, 2010

Swoon. I want to eat these immediately. I look forward to hearing your perfected overnight oats method!

112 Steph December 22, 2010

Yum! Made this for breakfast this morning and it was AMAZING! I love carrot cake, and I love oatmeal… why have I never thought of this before?!!

I love getting a serving of veggies for breakfast. It’s the one meal that is too often veg-free.

Angela, you’re brilliant!

113 Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life December 22, 2010

I love this idea!!!! Merry Christmas!

114 tweal December 22, 2010

Thanks for developing this recipe, I can’t wait to try it! I love that you kept searching for a way to eat oatmeal even though you don’t like it – I was like that with brussel sprouts and I love them now. I used to really love oatmeal but then I had a bad experience with it and haven’t really been into it since, but I think this recipe will change that ;)

115 Lorin December 22, 2010

That looks really good!! I made your pb and j banana pizza a couple days ago and it was really good! I used whole wheat pastry flour instead and it worked out! I’ve had it for breakfast the past couple days and for a snack. MY family liked it too! I am making some overnight oats tonight, going to look at some of your recipes to get an idea.

116 Mary Beth December 23, 2010

My dad always called oatmeal,” A love tap for your tummy.” I cannot wait to make this for him.

117 Jen December 23, 2010

Angela,
I am trying to make your pecan streusel butternut blondies but I am wondering what I may substitute for the 1/4 cup of butternut squash. They are fairly expensive here and I don’t have a food processor to puree. Could I add 1/4 cup more butter or would that be too much? I also plan to make the peppermint walnut crunch blondies. Both will be served as my dessert on Christmas day. Thank you for the great recipes! I can’t wait to try them and for everyone else to try them.

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 23, 2010

I wouldn’t suggest subbing in more butter…given that they are about the same texture I would think you could sub in canned pumpkin in the place of b’nut squash :)

119 Heidi - Apples Under My Bed December 23, 2010

I LOVE this :) I consider myself warned hehe.

120 Kelly December 23, 2010

This sounds very very yummy :) Might have to try it in the morning!

121 Marcy December 23, 2010

I am eating this right now! I read this post last night and just knew I had to have it this morning. I made some modifications based on what I had in my kitchen and still came out fantastic! Love having new ways to eat oatmeal!

122 Allison December 23, 2010

I think this is a great way to sneak veggies into breakfast (for kids or yourself)! So funny- I read this post last night and I was dreaming about carrot cake oats last night! Haha! Had to get up and make these today and they were great! :-)

123 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 25, 2010

that’s funny that you dreamed about them!

124 Tiffany December 25, 2010

I made this, this morning as a trial run. OH MY GOSH! My 4yr old and mother both absolutely loved it! So I am sure it will be as big of a hit for Christmas breakfast in the morning!
Thank You for all that you do & Merry Christmas to you!

125 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 25, 2010

yay!!! That’s awesome :) Merry Christmas!

126 Sharon December 26, 2010

That sounds like heaven in a bowl.

127 Sari December 30, 2010

This looks so good. Would it still work without the coconut milk cream?

128 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 1, 2011

probably!

129 sara (busy vegan mama) January 1, 2011

i just made this for my new year’s day breakfast. i never would have called oatmeal “decadent” until i tried this recipe, but it really is! sooo delicious. thanks for the recipe, and happy new year!

130 Hannah January 1, 2011

Hi! I found your website while browsing for healthy recipes online! Saw this recipe on your site and had to make it right away! I’m not a plain oatmeal lover so this was just the ticket! I LOVED it! AMAZING! Thanks so much!

131 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 1, 2011

glad you enjoyed it! Im not a plain oatmeal fan either but I LOVED it dressed up like a healthy cake! hehe

132 Namaste Gurl January 2, 2011

This looks delicious and super simple, Angela! I love carrot- cake oats, especially with coconut butter! :-)
I made my own carrot- coconut puree the other day minus my favorite ingredient, oats. I just lightly steamed two whole carrots, then brought coconut milk to a boil along with spices and sun warrior protein powder and added the carrots. I blended away with my immersion blender and had a lovely, warm bowl of yumminess :-)

133 Sharon Marie January 5, 2011

I just made this for breakfast, and it was absolutely AMAZING!!! It was so quick and easy to prepare. I only regret not eating it slower! Thank you!!!

134 lilla snigel January 9, 2011

This is the THIRD weekend in a row where I made this heavenly oatmeal. I’m usually so lazy to comment (although I conscientiously follow your blog), but I had to say Thank You Angela :) With love from Taipei – Taiwan.

135 Caroline January 16, 2011

OH.MY.GOD. I just HAVE TO try this!!!! It sounds SO delicious!!

136 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 18, 2011

I reviewed this recipe on my blog :D
Check it out here.

137 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 18, 2011
138 Jackie January 19, 2011

I just tried this recipe – it was wonderful! I didn’t have walnuts so I used almonds instead. Thanks for the recipe!

139 Willa April 24, 2012

Question – if I were to try this with steel cut oats, how might I adapt it? I know I’d have to cook it longer, but how much longer?

140 Nicole Moore April 30, 2012

I just made this and it is seriously the BEST oatmeal I have ever tasted!! I will definitely be making it more often!

141 Becca June 8, 2012

This was DELICIOUS!! I’ve been craving carrot cake ever since the hubby and I got a piece from the food bank this week. I had no coconut milk, or maple syrup; I just subbed honey for the syrup. It was a bit too sweet for my taste, but I’ve been eating unsweetened oatmeal w/ fruit for a few weeks now. This is going to be a staple in my home! Maybe I can even get some veggies into the hubby with this! :D

142 Lindsey June 24, 2012

I just made this for my family, and everyone LOVED it! So scrumptious and tastes like dessert. Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

143 kim July 8, 2012

for the ground ginger can i just use finely grated regular ginger?

144 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012

I cant see why not :)

145 Andrea August 2, 2012

Made this this morning and it was absolutely delicious! I love all of your hot oatmeal recipes, they are a great switch up from the basic oatmeal base with toppings. Have a great day!

146 Sierra August 7, 2012

I made this today and it was amazing! I used about 5x the cinnamon that it called for and I left out the raisins and walnuts (I didn’t have walnuts and I hate raisins) and I LOVED IT! I will be making this again in the near future. Thank you for the recipe.

147 ale August 15, 2012

can i use regular milk instead of almond??

148 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2012

Yes, you can use any kind of milk you’d prefer.

149 Alex September 27, 2012

I am eating this as I type as lunch. Because I discovered your recipe somewhere between breakfast (strawberries with oatmilk and musli) and a rumbling tummy asking for lunch. So i thought, heck why not? I’ve got carrots from a farmers market and yummy oat milk in the fridge, might as well give this a shot.

It’s amazing! I’ve always been a little scared of hot oatmeal, but this is great. I’m gonna try out all the others you’ve got posted here, so excited for oatmeal for dinner and lunch all over again :)

150 mel September 28, 2012

Interesting… I often throw some shredded carrot from the juicer into my children’s oatmeal along with a lot of the ingredients you listed. Good, healthy way to save the pulp! They love it!

151 Sanyika October 6, 2012

I just finished my bowl after making this for the 1st time it was simply delicious! Hubby & I are on a 30 day vegan challenge this is day 6 but with recipes like this we can easily turn into lifetime vegans! Thanks for your creativity!

152 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 7, 2012

I’m so happy to hear that – congrats on your challenge! Let me know how it goes.

153 Linda October 14, 2012

Just made this recipe this morning – fanastic!!!
Truly tasted like carrot cake.
I used soy milk and did decrease the maple syrup to 1TB – and still sweet enough for me.
Thank you for posting.

154 Helen November 13, 2012

Just made this. What a great recipe! I didn’t have any almond milk so I used low-fat cow’s milk instead. Didn’t use coconut milk cream or coconut. Also, I only had about 1 T of raisins and 1 T walnuts left in my pantry, and used just 1 T of maple syrup to cut back on sugar. Will definitely add the full 2 T of walnuts next time. So delicious!

155 Gillian November 29, 2012

I just made this, it is so good! The taste is totally unexpected and delicious. I couldn’t shred my carrots as finely because I don’t have the tools, so I just gave them a chop after the shredder. Mine seems chunkier than yours, but so delicious. I took a pic if you want to see I’ll send it to you!

We’ll definitely be featuring more of your recipes on our site. I love what you’re doing here.

156 Rebekah January 15, 2013

I love everything from your blog that I have tried and this was no exception. Who would have thought carrots for breakfast could be so right? Mine turned out exactly like the picture- even though I didn’t use coconut cream, I used coconut-almond milk, which is the nectar of the gods as far as I’m concerned. I don’t know why I haven’t ever thought about using maple syrup to sweeten my oatmeal instead of brown sugar like I normally use- maple syrup from now on! I’m not vegan, but I used to be and I still eat a lot of/love vegan food. Thanks for showing the world how delicious healthy food is.

157 Andrea January 29, 2013

*raises eyebrow* Hmmm. I am just about to make a pot of steel-cut oatmeal to have for breakfast throughout the upcoming week. I was looking for interesting flavor ideas for it, and now I am incredibly curious to see how this would work out with steel-cut oats that are re-heated in the morning. I shall try it. :)

158 Linnea February 2, 2013

OMG! I just made this! I finely grated the carrots to much so it got a bit watery, but it was amazing! Gosh I wish I made the hole recipe for two and not split it to only serve me! My new favorite breakfast! Thank you so much for the recipe! :)

Thanks// Linnea

159 Theresa February 2, 2013

Just found you recipe and it’s amazing. I’m not sure if anyone mentioned this, but a dollop of yogurt on top really adds a lot if you don’t have coconut milk.

160 The Peace Patch February 3, 2013

Squealingly delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe…I’m featuring it today on my blog! Cheers!

161 alex February 10, 2013

Yum!! Made this for brunch on a chilly Sunday and it was just perfect! Thank you for the recipe: D

162 Zahra @ Z. Saeed March 23, 2013

Hello Angela :)
Your recipe/s and pictures are so good that you’ve successfully turned the oatmeal lover in me into a fanatic, you’re so right!
I was inspired by you to start eating oatmeal and I created an oatmeal challenge for myself, which I’m glad is coming to an end quite successfully :) I’m writing about the challenge on my blog now and I’ve linked back to you as you were my inspiration to start this challenge. I hope you don’t mind :)

163 Suzanne Mark March 28, 2013

This is a genius recipe! I adapted this to what I had on hand and sort of layered it in the bowl I baked it in. I am not a vegan so, would have added butter, but I was out, so I drizzled tahini on the top. My husband and I both loved it! Thank you for new inspiration!

I also happened to see your post from way back on Eric’s birthday. Nice to see that sweet Canandian heart-centeredness. You are wonderful.

Blessings!

164 Loren April 1, 2013

This was really great! I made some changes with what I had on-hand, but only changed the way I put the recipe together – the ingredients all stayed the same. The grated carrot just melts away into a beautiful bowl of bright orange delisciousness! Oh, and I put the raisins in while the oatmeal was cooking – I love the juicy fullness of a “re-hydrated” raisin.

165 Analisa Freitas June 24, 2013

this may be a silly question, but i saw that you wrote lemon juice in the ingredients, so i prepped it, but then when i was done cooking, i realized it was still just sitting on the counter. when should i add it in? thanks!

166 Shoba Shrinivasan June 28, 2013

That looks like one comforting bowlful of hot hot oatmeal with all the ingredients of the fall season!!!! for me nutmeg and carrots are all about fall…dont knw why??/ Great pics as always Angela. Loved the one with the teal background!.

Shobha

167 Amber Green August 13, 2013

Ah! Stop, you’re too cute! This is my next adventure of yours… I am dreaming now – and at work, so I had better go! Thanks for your life’s work!

168 Nickelle August 17, 2013

Omg I can’t even look at that without drooling. I MUST get the ingredients for this and make as soon as the weather starts cooling off. As of now, it is way to hot to eat a cooked breakfast. I’ve been doing smoothies and cold soaked oats all summer because just the thought of having the stove on makes me sweat. But I cannot WAIT to try this. It looks so amazingly decadent.

169 Diana October 17, 2013

This is fantastic! I am making everyday a holiday!

170 Christine October 29, 2013

Made this for my boys this morning without any explanation. “Mama, this tastes like carrot cake!” And then they launched into a lengthy conversation about how great it would be if our house was flooded with carrot cake oatmeal and you could eat it whenever you wanted.
So, yeah, a hit. Thank you!
(Adapted to use steel cut oats)

171 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 30, 2013

hahaha love that idea! Oh kid’s imaginations are just the best. Glad it was such a hit!

172 Faith October 31, 2013

I decided to make this with the maple sugar instant oatmeal packages I had stashed away in the cabinet and it was amazing as well! Totally tastes like carrot cake:) perfect way to start a day:)

173 Arwen November 16, 2013

This was PHENOMENAL! Thank you for the recipe, Angela! I can’t wait to make it again on Christmas morning… maybe even Thanksgiving. I see it becoming a holiday tradition. :)

174 Ann December 1, 2013

I tried this recipe, it was amazing! I didn’t have almond milk, nutmeg and ground ginger, so I omitted the nutmeg, used soy milk and grated ginger ( just a pinch ) instead, it was wonderful

175 Donna December 18, 2013

Do you think I could make this in the slow cooker?

176 mp January 3, 2014

I made this and it was pretty tasty. I ate the whole thing though. There was no way i was only eating half.

177 bee manalang February 4, 2014

worth trying , surely will put this to work . will also try on baking this . thank you !

178 anteye March 20, 2014

I love this book. The recipes are great, but one thing is missing. The nutritional values at the end of the recipes would have been helpful. As a person who needs to count carbohydrates, protein and sugars the values would have made calculating so much easier. However, I do love the recipes and have made quite afew. The photos are always an assest to a cookbook and these ones are beautiful.

179 Deborah March 21, 2014

Angela, would you be interested in donating one or two of your cookbooks for our online auction? Adam’s Dream Fund is in its 17th year of fundraising for the Sick Kids Hospital, have already raised over $1.7MM toward two programs: Paediatric Oncology and the Clown Therapy Program. We would love to have your book in our auction. It takes place May 23-May 27. Please let me know.
Deborah, Committee Member
416.562.7536

180 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 23, 2014

Hi Deborah, Please email Erin Kelly from Penguin at: erin.kelly@ca.penguingroup.com – thanks!

181 Charlotte April 10, 2014

Looks amazingly yummy! Can’t wait to try :)

182 Clare May 10, 2014

Hello Angela, I’ve recently discovered your blog and made this yesterday…it was amazing, and will definitely be making regular appearances on our breakfast table!

183 Christina June 3, 2014

This was AMAZING!!! I had this for breakfast today and will definitely be making it again!

184 Amy June 12, 2014

Could you make this the night before and eat it for breakfast the next day?

185 Sophie June 14, 2014

I made this yesterday and it was SO good! It worked out perfectly. I substituted nutmeg for all spice, the walnuts for macadamias, currents instead of raisins and honey instead of maple syrup. It tasted like I was eating carrot cake for breakfast! Thanks for sharing this recipe ;)

186 Kate June 16, 2014

Thanks for this recipe. I found it this morning and tried it out on my little people. My eleven month old son had two servings (I left the maple syrup out of his). I love that I can get oats and vegetables into the children at breakfast time! I shouldn’t have deviated from your recipe – I used fresh grated ginger because I have heaps of it at the moment, and it made it a bit too spicy (I will stick with powdered next time). I’m going to go and try making an adapted version of my favourite breakfast oat muffins and turn them into oat and carrot muffins. Thanks again for the post, glad I found your website.

187 Susan July 16, 2014

Can you use shredded sweet potato instead of carrots for the oatmeal?

188 Mary Edwards September 11, 2014

I thought you might like to know that this recipe, almost word for word, just won the grand prize of $5000.00 from Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods recipe contest and that they plan to take it to Scotland to compete.

189 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 11, 2014

Hi Mary, Thanks for the headsup. I was emailed about this 3x today…eek. I guess I better look into it!

190 Josephine September 13, 2014

My toddler and I loved this, a great way to get her to eat carrots, thanks for the recipe!

191 Linda September 14, 2014

Made this Carrot Oatmeal this morning, it was absolutely delicious

192 crishia October 2, 2014

How would you go about adjusting this if you were to use quick oats?

193 Natalie October 22, 2014

So I tried this recipe, but the result was a bit too bitter from the 1 tsp of cinnamon. I’d suggest reducing the amount of ground cinnamon to about 1/4 tsp. Will try it again, with less cinnamon :)

194 Bee November 2, 2014

Looks wonderful. What’s the nutritional info on this, I didn’t see it? I have a diabetic in the family.

195 Suzie k November 26, 2014

Had some leftover carrots and decided to make this recipe. Never would’ve imagined using carrots in my oatmeal but it turned out very tasty!

196 emmie February 2, 2015

we loved this recipe! i have made it several times and all the kids (aged 2 to 10), enjoyed it very much. we eat a lot of oatmeal around here, but when i make this, my kids say “mommy made the yummy oatmeal also wanted to share that i often make this using cow’s milk and it still turns out great

197 Etienne March 21, 2015

Fantastic recipe! And why should I keep that for a Holiday? I prepare it now for the second week-end in a row for me and my son, making this time a big batch. We love it. Amid this sea of women’s comments, well sorry, I’m a bloke. Thank you Angela for your amazing recipes! Etienne

198 Sarah May 5, 2015

Hi! Can this be made the night before?

199 Willetta July 31, 2015

Sound goooooooooooooooooood!

200 kp November 27, 2015

hi Angela,
can i replace regular oats with instant oats?
thanks!

201 kp November 27, 2015

hi Angela, can i replace the regular oats with instant oats? thanks!

202 Cara December 23, 2015

How far in advance can I make this? If I make it 2 days before and leave it in the fridge, can it be reheated before serving?

203 Barbara February 12, 2016

Hi everyone,

This looks so so yummy – but – as I’m trying to lose weight I can’t
work out the calories in it. I’m afraid to make any cos I absolutely
know I’d LOVE it.

I’d be so grateful if anyone could let me know the calorific value of this
wonderful looking breakfast? PLEASE……..
Barbara

204 Mygirlscallmeq April 15, 2016

O.k soooooooo…. I just made this and it was extremely amazing. I followed all of the instructions didn’t change a thing. I have a family of 6 so 8 just need to triple the recipe. Thanks

205 Angela Liddon April 15, 2016

I’m so happy to hear the recipe was a hit!

206 Jess May 16, 2016

When do I put the lemon juice in?

207 Angela Liddon May 19, 2016

Hi Jess, I’d add it in when you add in the vanilla extract, walnuts, raisins, and maple syrup.