Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

IMG 6507 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

As winter sets in and my desire for a hot breakfast grows, I find myself searching for the perfect bowl of hot oatmeal.

IMG 6634 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

I’m pretty picky when it comes to hot oatmeal. If you have been reading the blog for a while now, you may remember that I used to dislike homemade hot oatmeal. There was just something about it that made my stomach feel off after eating.

But I don’t go down without a fight. I have been on a quest to make a hot oatmeal recipe that I would fall in love with and I think I have finally found my match. I attempted a couple carrot cake oatmeal recipes last winter, but they never turned out as good as I was hoping. This recipe finally got it right!

If you enjoy carrot cake, you will go absolutely crazy for this bowl of oatmeal. I could totally see this as a fun, quick, and easy holiday breakfast for families who are looking for something that tastes indulgent, but is packed with nutrients and a full cup of carrots per bowl.

IMG 6608 2 Copy thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

I believe i t would turn any oatmeal hater into a fanatic with first bite.

IMG 6612b thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

Gather up the troops.

IMG 6615 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

I urge you to make this recipe exactly as I wrote it above…it was that good!!!

IMG 6612 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

Finely grate your carrot.

IMG 6507 thumb1   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

Gnaw on stump.

Who knew you could eat a heaping cup’s worth of carrot in a bowl of oats and it would taste amazing?

Heat over low-medium.

IMG 6509 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

After cooking for about 8 minutes it will be nice and thick:

IMG 6511 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

Pour into a bowl.

IMG 6512 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

I picked up this cute mini casserole from Benix the other day and it makes the perfect oatmeal vessel!

IMG 6516 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

The best part about the mini casserole dish is that you can pop the lid on and refrigerate any leftovers that you have. I had some leftover and I just ate it as a snack later on in the day, straight from the fridge!

Garnish with 1 tbsp of crushed walnuts and 1 tsp of shredded coconut. Sweetened coconut, if you are feeling downright crazy.

IMG 6528 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

Now pour on the 1 tbsp of coconut milk cream + maple syrup mixture and drizzle your heart out!

IMG 6542 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

This mixture tastes incredible. Silky, creamy, and sweet. It is the perfect topping for the carrot cake oats!

IMG 6582 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

Want a bite?

IMG 6598 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

I also tried this recipe making vegan overnight oats and it wasn’t as good as the cooked version. I will have to do some tweaking of the recipe…

IMG 6608 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

I was feeling crazy, so I ventured outdoors for some pictures!

IMG 6579 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

IMG 6571 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

The great thing about oatmeal is that you can take it outside in the cold for a photoshoot, come back indoors, and it is still hot! bahaha.

My mini casserole dish got me thinking how great this recipe would be adapted for several servings and poured into a large casserole dish.

You could easily double, triple, quadruple (etc) the recipe to serve the amount of people that you need to. Then simply, pour the cooked oats into a large casserole dish, add your toppings, and use a large spoon to serve so others can scoop out their desired portion onto their plate.

I think it would be a wonderful holiday breakfast!

IMG 6573 thumb   Holiday Breakfast In A Jiffy: Carrot Cake Oatmeal

If you are looking for a delicious, healthy, and super quick holiday breakfast, you should give this one a shot.

Just be warned….an obsession may set in…

BYE!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 21, 2010

I wish that the rest of my family liked oatmeal so I could make this as a Christmas breakfast for everyone!! It looks AMAZING…I’ll just have to save it all for myself then :)

Therese December 21, 2010

Mmm!!! That looks (and sounds) AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Caree @ Fit-Mama December 21, 2010

YUM! I will have to try this!!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin December 21, 2010

Yum that sounds unbelievable!! I have oatmeal almost every day for breakfast – I might have to try this combo soon!

Megan @ Sweet On December 21, 2010

Oh my! *bookmarking*

And I have to say…a full LITER of maple syrup?? I think I just died… o.O Yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

LOL…I thought I wrote the recipe wrong so I went back and checked it and then I realized you were talking about the picture

Melissa @ Be Not Simply Good December 21, 2010

I know! I can only find itty bitty bottles of maple syrup!

Allison @ Food For Healing December 21, 2010

I’ve just been hooked on eating my Nature’s Path apple cinnamon instant oatmeal because its easiest at work. maybe next week when i’m off work i’ll make some more exciting oatmeal for my breakfast life!

Michelle December 21, 2010

This looks very delicious, but I love any hot oatmeal.

By the way, you remind me a lot of the Norwegian actress Maria Bonnevie. Have a google look :).

Tara September 26, 2012

I think she looks like Julie Benz…. very beautiful :)

kate December 21, 2010

I never eat Carrot Cake because of the ridiculous calories, fat, etc..but I love it so much! This is like an early Christmas present! I cannot wait to try it out!!

sarah December 21, 2010

oh my goodness
that looks so good! I wish I could smell it through my lap top.

Julie December 21, 2010

Mmm im STILL addicted to your hot comforting pumpkin pie oatmeal, obsession has set in.

Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside December 21, 2010

This looks fabu! And how nice to see an orange oatmeal completely void of pumpkin… not that there’s anything WRONG with pumpkin, I’m just a tad tired of it at the moment ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

haha I have not had pumpkin since my pumpkin detox a while back! I completely made myself sick of it for the rest of the season. I dont even desire it anymore! Such a shame..lol. I blame the PFB pumpkin challenge b/c I tested out a ton of pumpkin recipes until I was blue in the face.

Dear pumpkin,
Dont hate me. I shall love you again next season.
xoxo

Agnieszka December 21, 2010

i have the same . i even got diarrhea because of excessive amount of pumpkin. But i still enjoy it, i think i love it too much eheh. I love incorporating veggies into your every meal. It is super challenge. I am gonna try putting carrots everywhere where for example apples are required. generally trying out diffrent ways of serving typical meals is super cool. I am gonna try mixing carrots and oatmeal. Oh so much variations you can discover haha
What about your workouts? Do u still run outside?

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 21, 2010

you’ve got to be kidding with this…i would DIE OF HAPPINESS…really though! i can’t wait to make this for my hubby’s family in a couple days!

Katie December 21, 2010

I used to make this all the time a few years ago. Try it with pineapple chunks and/or raisins too. Deicious!

Bronwyn Coyne December 21, 2010

That’s such a fun spin on oatmeal. I love your little serving pot! Makes it look even cozier. :)

Little Bookworm December 21, 2010

Love the sound of that recipe. Haven’t had cake carrot porridge in ages!

Erin (Travel Eat Repeat) December 21, 2010

This sounds absolutely heavenly and impossible to resist. I need to shake up my morning oats routine.

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 21, 2010

That looks really good! I’ve had a bit of a craving for carrots recently. Just a random thing that comes and goes every once in a while.

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 21, 2010

I saw your Twitter comment about having the best oatmeal ever! And I wondered if you were gonna post about it…glad you did! Looks yum! :D

steff (steffsays) December 21, 2010

that looks so fabulous! i have been eating oatmeal almost every day this week since it has been so damn cold and this looks like a delicious way to step outside my usual oatmeal box!

Ashley December 21, 2010

That looks ssooo good! but it looks freezing outsie you’re braver than me I would never go out there haha.

Estela @ Weekly Bite December 21, 2010

Carrot Cake is my all time favorite dessert!! There’s no way I wouldn’t love this :)

carlee December 21, 2010

WOW Angela. That’s gorgeous.
Your so good at presenting food.
I wish I had more bowls and scenery and stuff.
ANyways I have had a form of carrot cake oatmeal on my blog but not quite that good sounding nor looking.
I am trying that when I go to the store next to buy some carrots and coconut milk! COUNT ON IT!:)

Jessica December 21, 2010

Ohhhhhh this looks just heavenly! Both the grub and the snow :)

Marina December 21, 2010

I adore carrot cake oatmeal.
I would have no problem with eating the biggest serving of it :D

Ann @ Day By Day December 21, 2010

That may just end up being our Christmas breakfast if I can convince my family how much they would love it. The one I really need to work on is my Mom- she’s the only one who doesn’t like oatmeal in my family and I really can’t comprehend it! I offer to make her some probably every other day when I’m home for Christmas haha. I’ve got all the ingredients except the coconut milk cream…

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut December 21, 2010

Im sad that I already had oatmeal today because I want to make this NOW! I will have to be patient until tomorrow morning ;)

ezzie December 21, 2010

YUMM!! I just had oatmeal for breakfast, but I still feel like I NEED THAT CARROT CAKE OATMEALL!

rachel December 21, 2010

that looks incredible! carrot cake is yum, i bet this is amazing.

Paula December 21, 2010

Mmmmmm…… I am definitely going to try this!

I used to not like oatmeal either – I found the texture off-putting. That’s why I LOVE steel cut oats! Angela, if you have never tried making steel cut oats I heartily recommend you try it sometime in these cold winter months – you’ll thank me later! They do take a while to cook (low and slow) but it’s worth it. I’ve heard of people using a crockpot or other overnight methods to speed up the process in the morning but never tried it myself.

If you try steel cut oats, let me know what you think – better yet, blog about it :) I hope you like ‘em!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella December 21, 2010

That looks fantastic! I’ll have to pick up a few ingredients that I’m missing and make this soon!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete December 21, 2010

I never even thought about putting carrots in my oatmeal. You are always coming up with creative breaky ideas! Thanks!

Diana @ Run4Life December 21, 2010

mmm looks delish! What a fun way to switch up oatmeal. I love oatmeal for breakfast but it can get kinda boring after a while. I’ll have to try your recipe soon!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 21, 2010

This looks amazing! I was thinking the other day about how to incorporate carrots into my oats because as you know, I am a carrot monster! I bet Eric is loving you for making these! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

yes! He said it was the only bowl of oats he has ever wanted to try! I am going to make it for him one morning

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) December 21, 2010

I really wish I could just reach my spoon into your pictures and take a bite :) This looks sooooo goood :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 21, 2010

You are so right, if this doesnt turn someone into an oatmeal lover, nothing will!

I love carrot cake…ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, all those flavors…I heart them all. And I know I would love this spin on oatmeal! Yum!

I ordered my Dslr last night. One day I hope my photos are as beautiful as yours…truly, if your blogging/cooking/recipes/advanced degrees ever dont pan out for you (yeah, right!) you could be a professional photographer. I learn when I see your pics. Thank you :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

you are sweet! I cant wait to see how you like your dslr…there is a big learning curve at the beginning so don’t get discouraged.

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons December 21, 2010

so creative! i LOOOOOVE carrot cake! its my favorite dessert ever — might have to try this! =)

Jaime December 21, 2010

That looks amazing! :) Do you soak your oats before eating them? I’ve been reading a lot about the phytic acid content in oats and grains, and how if they aren’t soaked, it can inhibit the absorbtion of many nutrients, and leave you deficient. I guess if you only eat oatmeal once in awhile, it’s not a big deal…. but if you eat them everyday, it could be. Thoughts?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010

I havent heard about this…but I do not soak my oats before cooking.

Veronica @ lifewithnature December 21, 2010

There is phytic acid in oats, as in many other foods. Soaking/sprouting is a great way to reduce the phytic acid content of your grains. But even if phytic acid can interfere with the absorbtion of certain nutrients, espeially minerals, I doubt that eating unsoaked oatmeal will leave you mineral deficient if you have an otherwise healthy diet. And Angela’s carrot cake oatmeal sounds too delicious not to try it! (but if you like, you can soak your oats at least one hour before eating them. You can let them soak overnight in the fridge, drain, and yhe oats will be soft enough to skip the cooking part).

Katy @ A Healthy Shot December 21, 2010

I’m so sad that I have to wait until tomorrow to try this!! haha My oats have been pretty unimpressive lately, and I just can’t get into the pumpkin obsession- these look awesome :)

Elle December 21, 2010

I’ve GOT to try this because, so far, the only way I can enjoy oats is your savory recipe. So I totally trust you to guide me to a sweet recipe, which I’ve wanted to give another shot for a while!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 21, 2010

Definitely will get my veggies in this way…

Page 1 of 512345»