Vegan Thumbprint Cookies

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 20, 2010

IMG_6393-2

On Sunday, I realized that I only have 5 days left to bake holiday cookies!

I knew it was time to roll out a childhood favourite before it was too late.

The only catch?

These cookies took me 5 trials until I was satisfied with them!

I was in one of those picky moods and I started testing all kinds of flours and changing up the wet ingredients. I can be very stubborn in the kitchen at times. Well, I can be very stubborn period. I am a bull after all.

If I’m in a positive frame of mind I like to think of my stubbornness as persistence or dedication…now we’re talking!

The flops actually weren’t too bad, aside from the whole wheat pastry flour version, that is. Thankfully, Eric usually brings leftover cookies into work to share with his coworkers so I don’t have to throw anything out.

Let me first review what cookies I have made over the past couple weeks…

20101124IMG_323722 IMG_5403bc

(click the image to be taken to the post)

20101126IMG_3423b 20101126IMG_3514b1

and now I present to you one of my childhood favs…

IMG_6393c

IMG_6324bIMG_6322

Whisk dry ingredients together.

IMG_6332

In a small bowl whisk together the wet ingredients and then add wet to dry.

IMG_6346

Get in there with your hands and knead the dough and squeeze it together until it comes together.

IMG_6348

Roll the dough into balls using about 1.5 tablespoon of dough per ball.

Now very lightly dip your fingers in a cup of water, tap off excess, and then roll the ball in your wet fingers. Now roll the ball in the processed pecans. This little bit of water helps the pecans stick to the ball.

IMG_6355

Now place the ball that is now covered in crushed pecans onto the baking sheet (note: above photo should have crushed pecans on the balls! It was from a prior trial.)

With your thumb and finger press a well into the center of each ball (but don’t go all the way through!) and shape it with your fingers, pinching the edges as you go around.

Fill the hole with strawberry jam- about 1/2-1 tsp.

IMG_6356

As you can see, I like a generous jam to cookie ratio!

IMG_6373

Bake for 17-18 minutes at 350F and allow to cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheet.  Now place the cookies in the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes.

IMG_6377

I prefer to eat Thumbprints straight from the fridge because the almond extract and strawberry flavours seem to pop more when chilled.

I also love how the nuts give the cookies a hearty crunch and a great texture. The cookie base is actually not that sweet, but it balances out the sweet jam filling quite nicely.

The result is a Thumbprint cookie that is not too sweet, but just right!

IMG_6380

Workout News

A little while ago, Angela was kind enough to give me one of her ‘Friends and Family Membership discounts’ for Goodlife gym. It is a heavily discounted yearly membership for the club, costing me only $16 per month for unlimited access to any Goodlife gym in Canada! I am thrilled because I would not have been able to afford the regular membership price, but at $16 a month I simply can’t go wrong. I will have access to all the fitness classes, the weights, and of course the cardio equipment.

I used to be a member of Goodlife back in highschool and university and I loved doing the Body Pump classes and also a few of the other Les Mills classes like RPM spinning. I can’t wait to change it up a bit and start doing weight training again. Thanks Ange!

Make sure you check out Sketchie’s pic of the day…it’s pretty cute and there is a little story about his latest hijinks.

Goodnight!

Kris | iheartwellness.com December 20, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Mmmmm thumbprints are my fave too, but we called them Kris Kringle cookies at Christmas!!! Love them!

Great recipes girl :)

xxoo

Lisa December 20, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Yummmmmmy! Seeing your new blog posts is seriously one of the best parts of my day! I always look forward to it! Thanks for all of your time and dedication! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010 at 12:29 am

Thanks Lisa!

Katie (Sweet Tater) December 20, 2010 at 11:52 pm

i don’t even like thumbprints but caitlin made some amazing ones a few weeks ago and these look amazing too…

Ashley December 20, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I’ve never had thumbprint cookies. They look delicious. I’ll have to give them a try sometime soon.

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons December 21, 2010 at 12:02 am

These looks 10x better than the standard thumbprints… so much texture and color =)

Brittany December 21, 2010 at 12:07 am

Love Crofter’s!! I used half super-fruit and half blueberry for mine!! Yum yum!!

Kaitlyn (College Girl Runs) December 21, 2010 at 12:09 am

Love thumbprint cookies :)

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) December 21, 2010 at 12:17 am

wow, and i thought the best deal was my friend’s 6 year old $30/month rate. I’m paying around $40 because my company got a deal. but $16!? amazing!! just like those strawberry walnut thumbprint cookies. i’m not a huge fan of them – but these pictures are enough to convince me that i could easily think differently if i tried those! :)

Nico December 21, 2010 at 12:23 am

holy cow, I LOVE crofter’s jellies. they are just the best! I discovered them a couple months ago and haven’t bought any other brand since … <3<3

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010 at 12:31 am

It was my first time trying Crofters and I agree it was quite good :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty December 21, 2010 at 1:06 am

These are one of my favorite cookies!! I have a good vegan recipe for it too!!!

I have what I am calling “Love Affair Chocolate Crinkle” cookies coming up on my blog tomorrowm they are amazing, and are dairy free (only have eggs) they are one of the best cookies I’ve tried!! Stop by if you get a second! I have it scheduled to come up around 9:00 BC time! :)

Amanda December 21, 2010 at 1:35 am

I admire your tenacity! I don’t think I could have soldiered on through 5 flops. Its all worth it in the end, those cookies look great!

Hooray for a gym discount! A gym membership is almost a necessity in our neck of the woods isn’t it? Too cold to run outside!

carlee December 21, 2010 at 3:03 am

Yum! Those acually look quite yummy! So do you bake three times everyday?!
Does baking ever seem more like an “I haev to do this” or do you always want to?
what do you do with the rest i you make a recipe that has a lot?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010 at 9:05 am

I bake each day for both Glo Bakery and the blog! It is very tiring, but I wouldnt change it for anything. :)

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious December 21, 2010 at 3:35 am

my mom use to make these for us…yours look delicious and i love the ingredients. i find coconut oil works really well in some cookies. i like Crofters too. i made your snickerdoodles and they were a big hit at the in-laws! thanks.

Leah @ Simply Fabulous December 21, 2010 at 3:53 am

$16 a month is a steal! I love spinning and weights :D

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 21, 2010 at 5:49 am

THat is awesome for a gym membership, especially for classes too! I taught RPM for 4 years and also Bodyjam, and still do Bodyjam in my living room with the teacher dvds…heheh.

JL goes Vegan December 21, 2010 at 5:58 am

Thumbprint cookies are a family favorite! I’ll definitely try them. I need to search your blog for a vegan frosting recipe, though, because in our family one must have frosting in the thumbprint!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) December 21, 2010 at 6:26 am

thats great about the gym!!! the cookies are so freakin cute! :)

Patti December 21, 2010 at 6:41 am

Angela, try Bodyflow!! It’s fantastic!!

tweal December 21, 2010 at 6:44 am

Delicious looking cookies. That’s one type I have never tried making, not sure why though because they look really good and I’m sure I would like them. I think I’ll try making them this year.

Nice discount on the Goodlife membership – I used to go but canceled when my monthly fee crept above $55.

stacey-healthylife December 21, 2010 at 6:49 am

I love the almond topping on the cookies. Oh cats and Christmas, they are so mischievous.

Charlie December 21, 2010 at 6:51 am

I’ve never been a fan of thumbprint cookies. Maybe because the store-bought ones are often dry. Also, they make me think of nutrigrain bars, which terrorized me when I was in childcare. But I definitely have to try these – with the almond extract and crushed nuts , they must be quite delicious :).

lindsay December 21, 2010 at 7:00 am

these are MY FAVORITE!! WHere did you get kamut flour? I’ve been looking everywhere. Oh and so glad you got a great steal on the gym. Thats a great christmas gift!
LC

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010 at 9:03 am

I got it from ontario natural food coop…sorry that probably doesnt help you much where you are

Estela @ Weekly Bite December 21, 2010 at 7:07 am

These are a classic cookie and one of my favorites!! I can’t wait to make these :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 21, 2010 at 7:28 am

i just have to say that you’ve inspired me to be vegan once a week…and it won’t be hard with all of your fabulous recipes up here! :)

Lou Jacques December 21, 2010 at 7:45 am

i’m 14 years old and i LOVE your website! the way you show a picture of every step and your opinions in the making… it makes me want to make every single one of your desserts!
thank you so much! :D

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 21, 2010 at 8:07 am

They look amazing! :D
I’ve actually never had thumprint cookies, but I will soon definitely!
And only $16 a month?! That’s so SO cheap! What a steal!

Lauren at KeepItSweet December 21, 2010 at 8:07 am

i’ve never tried kamut flour, but i may have to now!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 21, 2010 at 8:25 am

thumbprint cookies are what my grandma and i used to make when i was a little girl around the holidays!

they werent vegan, or GF, they were full of butter, sugar, flour…and LOVE! :) And they were soooo good!

I am impressed with 5 trials! Can i come over and be your taste-tester? :) The recipe looks fabulous, and so do the pictures. That jelly is just calling my name!

Congrats on your $16 gym membership…SCORE!!

deva December 21, 2010 at 8:39 am

nutty!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010 at 9:27 am

Who me or the cookie?

Dont answer that.

Healthy Chocoholic December 21, 2010 at 8:42 am

Yum!!!! These are so healthy that it’s ok to eat like 12 of them for breakfast, isn’t it?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 21, 2010 at 8:42 am

You know, I never liked thumbprint cookies, but I think these changed my mind.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 21, 2010 at 8:47 am

Exciting on the gym! $16 is such a steal. I love having the option of the gym, especially for all the classes.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman December 21, 2010 at 8:56 am

These are my most favorite Christmas cookie ever. I love that you made them healthy.

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!) December 21, 2010 at 8:58 am

I am loving your picture posting style. Beautiful! And thanks for the reminder–I definitely have to get back into weight training…running isn’t enough!

Allison @ Food For Healing December 21, 2010 at 9:01 am

the jam in those is making me so hungry! i just love jam

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 21, 2010 at 9:01 am

Yumm! I even have all the ingredients already, it’s destiny!! :)
In fact, I just used kamut flour to make zucchini muffins, I’m posting the recipe on my blog today! Kamut flour is probably my favourite one to bake with

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010 at 9:04 am

I love it. A friend introduced me to it this summer and I fell in love. Its easily digested, but it is much easier to bake with than spelt

Amy December 21, 2010 at 9:26 am

That is a pretty incredible rate!

I pay $19 bi-weekly… which is pretty good, and I’ve heard some people paying almost $60!

Thats one thing I hate about Goodlife, at least in Ottawa. They are like a monopoly and have zero competition. I hate how the rates vary so much from one person to another.

But I’m a sucker and keep going back… the classes are fabulous!

Camille December 21, 2010 at 9:27 am

I looove thumbprints! I made some the other day that were drizzled with powdered sugar frosting and they were amazing!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 21, 2010 at 9:35 am

These look delicious! I saw your tweets last night about all the cookie trials and was wondering what was going to come out of them. And again, you’re SO welcome on the membership – I can’t imagine taking my workouts outside this time of year and you SO deserve it!! :)

Roz December 21, 2010 at 9:54 am

You are a Canadian Cookie Making MACHINE!!! They all look so good!!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 21, 2010 at 10:31 am

I love thumbprint cookies! Do you think it would work with spelt flour? I may try that out later… I’ve been eyeing a baklava thumbprint cookie idea and this would be a great base for it.

Katie December 21, 2010 at 10:34 am

I somehow missed your dipped cookie dough balls post, but I made some myself last week! Blogger minds think alike, I guess.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 21, 2010 at 10:51 am

ive been looking for a good thumbprint cookie and these are right up my alley! i got so excited, but now the only problem is that i cant kind kamut flour anywhere :( i’ve been looking for a while, not even my health food store has it. i have buckwheat, teff, and spelt , but i’m not sure if it’ll give me the same consistency..

AM December 21, 2010 at 11:10 am

I am so excited to make this in the afternoon! For the first time I have all the ingredients which seems necessary since the amount of time you put to perfect it

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter December 21, 2010 at 11:16 am

The thumbprints looks amazing! I’ve never seen Kamut flour though, maybe I’ll have to look hard in the bulk section.

Kim December 21, 2010 at 11:19 am

Congratulations on making it SO far in Project Food Blog! It has been really fun seeing your posts and voting every week. My roommate has been making 10 different kinds of sugar cookies this week, and thank god I saw this post today so I can make these – they look SO GOOD. I’ve been down in the dumps this week, and coming to your site always gives me a little perk up. Have a wonderful Christmas!
PS – Your cat goes under the tree skirt? Mine sits in the middle of the tree and as you walk by meows at you or reaches out and whacks your arm!! Very scary!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 21, 2010 at 11:35 am

bahaha Sketchie used to do that as a kitten. :)

Thanks for your kind words…I hope you are feeling better soon!

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 21, 2010 at 11:28 am

Mmmm I love thumbprint cookies! These look great! :)

Whitney @ Blooming Significance December 21, 2010 at 11:46 am

Wow, those look soo yummy!!! I am definitely trying those out this weekend :) Happy Holidays!!!

Gloria December 21, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Those look great! Do you think agave would be a good substitute for brown rice syrup?

Coco December 21, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Just wanted to say I <3 your blog

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 21, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Hurray for the gym membership discount! I go to Goodlife too when I’m home for holidays. I’ve only tried out the spin class, so I’m excited to hear your reviews of some of the other classes if you try them out!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker December 21, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I’m definitely making these for x-mas. Thank you!

Gloria December 21, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I have some family who would love to get a little goodie bag of these on Christmas Day! Gracias :) I’m a die-hard spelt user, but haven’t jumped on the kamut train yet. I’ve swapped the amount of kamut to spelt 1 to 1 before without any issues. What do you think about trying that for this recipe?

Gloria December 22, 2010 at 1:42 am

I taste tested one earlier, and it was delicious! I will definitely be making more of these. Thank you :)

Laurab @ foodsnobstl December 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I love the pics with recipe titles you have been doing lately!

Sophie May 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Hi Angela,

I am craving something sweet and fruity, and thought these might do the trick.

Would you recommend these or the raspberry almond ones that you just posted?

Which do you like better? :)

Corinna December 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm

These look delicious… but im curious to know why in the recipe it calls for 3/4c + 2/3c kamut flour. Are you supposed to add the 2/3 c at the end if needed? Or do you just add both measurements to the dry mix right off the bat?
thanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 24, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Yes I added both right into the dry mix – sorry for the confusion!

Veggie March 5, 2013 at 10:38 am

Wow, I looove thumbprint cookies, these look amazing!!!

Jessica December 12, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Do these need to be stored in the fridge? If not, what is the best way to store them??

Thanks!

Amanda (AmethystJean) December 27, 2013 at 8:07 am

Store in the fridge or freezer in a sealed container.

Amanda (AmethystJean) December 22, 2013 at 7:48 pm

These look great. Of all the ones I’ve looked at, these look to be the most like the ones of my childhood (and adulthood, who am I kidding?), but without the egg and wheat. I do not have kamut flour, not is it gluten-free, I think. So I have decides on a few flours and a ratio of 1/4 volume starch and equal parts of my flours which consist of varying densities and proteins. I came up with a blend that equals the same density per volume of kamiya flour 119g/cup. I will check back tomorrow and let you know how it goes!

Amanda (AmethystJean) December 22, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Pardon my autocorrect! Kamiya should be kamut!

lucy November 22, 2014 at 4:02 pm

How do these hold up to freezing? Could I make them ahead of the holidays and freeze them, or should they be made and eaten?
Thanks!
Lucy

Danielle April 15, 2017 at 7:21 pm

Made a batch of these the other day with Strawberry and Apricot organic no sugar jam. Packed them up and sent to CO via USPS. Hope they make it in one piece. I’ll post how they did when my mom receives them for Easter. The one I tried was delicious.

Angela Liddon April 17, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Aw, I hope she loves them, Danielle! So sweet of you to send her a little Easter treat. :)