Vegan Graham Crackers

Thank you all so much for your support with my final Project Food Blog post! Your comments, tweets, and emails mean so much to me and I can’t thank you enough. Regardless of what the outcome is on Friday, I am truly grateful to have you all in my life and I feel extremely thankful for your positivity throughout this entire process.

To me, that is worth more than any prize!

IMG 5808 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

I have been having the worst case of insomnia this week, not falling asleep until about 3am each night. It is definitely my nerves and I have battled insomnia on and off throughout my life whenever I have a lot going on. I have been making sure to exercise and eat right, but I think I also need to work on other things like meditation or yoga!

It actually turns out that one of my favourite yoga websites – Yoga Journal- has a bunch of yoga poses just for insomnia. I think I will have to try this out tonight and see if it helps.

I also tend to start going a bit crazy at night when I don’t sleep well…

deadmeat thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

This is what happens when I am up at 2am.

It wasn’t pretty.

Vegan Graham Crackers

Consider this post to be part one of how I made the Vegan Nanaimo bars!

Tomorrow, will be part two of the Nanaimo Bar photo tutorial. I’m excited.

Vegan Graham Crackers are really hard to find in my area, so I decided to make homemade graham crackers for the base layer of the bars instead of using store bought graham crackers.

I lightly adapted Ashley’s graham cracker recipe to suit the ingredients I had stocked in my own pantry and after a few trials I am now happy to share this version with you!

I used to be intimidated to make my own graham crackers, assuming that the process would be lengthy and difficult, but these are actually super easy to make. I think from start to finish I was done in about 35-40 minutes!

Let us begin this magical journey.

graham10 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

Making these graham crackers could NOT be easier!

Whisk together your dry ingredients…

IMG 5748 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

Like so.

IMG 5750 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

Whisk together the wet ingredients…

IMG 5756 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

Like so.

IMG 5760 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

Add wet to dry and stir until it starts to come together and then get in there with your hands and squeeze the dough together.

IMG 5762 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

On a lightly floured surface and with a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough

IMG 5765 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

For all of the trials that I made, the dough tended to crack during the initial rolling stages. I found that the more I worked with the dough the easier it became to handle. Sometimes I would patch a crack with another piece of scrap dough and this seemed to work well for me.

This recipe would be so great to make with kids!!

IMG 5775 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

It has been way too long since I have used my fun cookie cutters! I have an entire drawer filled with them from back when I used to make decorated cookies for weddings and parties.

IMG 5778 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

I was able to make about 18 large crackers.

IMG 5781 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

After removing the scrap dough, grab a flat spatula and slide it under each cracker, placing it onto the baking sheet.

IMG 5786 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

Roll out the leftover scrap dough and repeat the cookie cutting process.

IMG 5792 thumb1   Vegan Graham Crackers

Take a fork and pierce each cracker about three times to create air holes. These little guys need to breathe!

Bake for approx 15 minutes at 350F and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. The crackers will firm up nicely. The baking time will vary slightly depending on how thin you made your crackers, so keep that in mind and watch closely.

IMG 5827 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

Sadly, I did not get a chance to decorate these little guys because I had to use them in the Nanaimo bars, but I definitely plan on decorating some in the future! How cute would they be decorated for a holiday party?

IMG 5834 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

The result is a vegan graham cracker that is absolutely addictive with a rich molasses flavour and a very light sweetness. They are not as sweet as your typical store-bought graham crackers, but I enjoyed these much better than any store bought cracker I have ever had. Homemade always tastes better, don’t you think?

They are nutty, crunchy, wholesome, and they are so delicious I was happy eating them plain. They would make the perfect cracker to throw into a lunch bag and you could enjoy them with all kinds of dips or toppings. Have fun experimenting!

IMG 5839 thumb   Vegan Graham Crackers

sarah December 15, 2010

that looks so good raw!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2010

the raw dough was quite yummy!

Nikki May 17, 2013

Hello. What would the nutrional facts be on your vegan crackers? :)

Meredith December 15, 2010

Ooo these look so good! I love molasses. And I agree, everything is better homemade.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete December 15, 2010

I love graham crackers — you could make a really delicious smore-type dessert on top.

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 15, 2010

these are so beautiful! i love the cookie-cutters that you have too…could not be more perfect :)

tara December 15, 2010

The picture of the “we’re dead meat” caption made me crack up! I love all your new ways of taking pictures.. beautiful! another great post, as usual :)

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing December 15, 2010

Can’t wait to try these in the Nanaimo bars! Best of luck for PFB – you have my vote! You really out did yourself… there’s no traffic jam on the extra mile! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2010

aww that is a cute saying! Thanks :)

Stacy @ Every Little Thing December 15, 2010

They look great! Love graham crackers in fun cookie cutter shapes :)

Ashley (Taste For Healthy) December 15, 2010

Yum!! :)

Anne December 15, 2010

Those look like they would be awesome in vegan s’mores, or graham cracker pb&j’s!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2010

graham cracker PB + J…amazing idea!

jenna December 15, 2010

THESE LOOK SOOOOOOOOO GOOD ANGELA!! YUM!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella December 15, 2010

These look so easy! I can’t wait to make them.

Moni'sMeals December 15, 2010

Perfect! Just give me a tall glass of almond milk and/or chocolate chips melted with some marshmellow love. :) Pure Bliss!

Hope you catch some zzzz’s tonight. ;)

melissa @ the delicate place December 15, 2010

oh my goodness. these look so good! however, i’m allergic to wheat! any flour you can recommend for the substitute? i’m shying away from coconut flour since it tends to be super dense. almond flour maybe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2010

I’m really not sure…i dont have much experience with GF flours. I have heard that Bob’s Red Mill all purpose GF flour is awesome. I would try that!

lindsay December 15, 2010

I agree! yes bob mills all purpose GF flour is great! try that!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg December 15, 2010

So cute!!! Why are cookies shaped like little men so irresistable? :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2010

And why is it so fun to bite off their heads?? lol

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 15, 2010

I love the gingerbread grahams!! Yummmm. So excited for Friday- my fingers are crossed for you!!

Steph@stephsbitebybite December 15, 2010

I really should try o make homemade graham crackers. I don’t know why, but they just seem so scary. Must conquer my fear :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 15, 2010

Those are adorable!! Congrats again on PFB Ange, I can’t wait till Friday, I’m so excited for you! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 15, 2010

I love that these aren’t too sugary! They are going on my “make” list!

Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside December 15, 2010

YAY! can’t wait for part 2- these originally Canadian treats will be a perfect recipe to bring to my family’s home in the deep south of America next week!

Allison @ Food For Healing December 15, 2010

i think i need to get a “cracker” cookie cutter, i would love to try my hand at making crackers and graham crackers

Allie Finch December 15, 2010

Bummer about the insomnia. I find my bedtime rituals — or like there of — have a lot to do with my not sleeping well. Make sure you take time to unwind from the day. Yoga is a great idea or reading & sipping a calming tea. Create a quiet, calming space. I don’t keep anything “work” related in the bedroom [computer, phone, etc] — that space is reserved for rest…& intimacy. ;)

I have been too intimidated to make homemade graham crackers, but you made this look too fun & doable!

Healthy Chocoholic December 15, 2010

Deeelish!!! I’ve never made my own graham crackers before!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman December 15, 2010

Oh yum. Next we need vegan s’mores!

lindsay December 15, 2010

just wanted to say how excited I am for you in the project! You are rockin it and we all support you.
Cheers,
LC

Holly B December 15, 2010

I thought grahm crackers were made with grahm flour, no?

In any case, they look wonderful!

Svetlana December 15, 2010

These look amazing :) …I love those two ginger men talking lol

Shayla December 15, 2010

YUMMY!
By the way, I absolutely loved your feature health tip on Glamour.com! I too struggled with disordered eating for about 7 years and got healthier around the same time as you. You helped me along the way and seeing what and how much you ate inspired me to eat more and get healthier for both my body and mind. Although in the article you mentioned that you didn’t gain any weight from this process, I however did but I needed to since I was so underweight. However, did you notice a little bit more weight gain, and like me, were happy about it and just accepted the fact that this is now your happy weight? For me that’s what I accepted, and that’s fine for me because I know that I’m treating my body right with healthy and nutritious food!

Thanks Angela, and as always, you’re such an inspiration and thank you for helping me along the way. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2010

I did gain weight with recovery, but I had all these fears that I was going to gain all this weight but that was not the case. My body found a balance where it was happy.

Once I decided to eat when hungry and not obsess with exercise my body fell into my current weight that I consider to be my happy weight. I dont have to deprive myself to be here, but I also take pride in exercise and eating right too.

I think that ED’s are so diverse that everyone’s experience and needs for recovery will be very different and above all we need to do what is right for ourselves until we reach that place where we feel balanced. I wish you the best with your recovery!

Shayla December 15, 2010

Thank you Angela for answering! What you described is exactly how I felt too. I had this fear that overnight I would gain all this weight and it would just all go in one spot (my hips!). But that was not the case, I filled out everywhere and I looked so much healthier and happier! I love what you wrote here: “I definitely weigh more now than I used to at my lowest and I have come to terms with it because I know that where my body is at right now is exactly where it is supposed to be. I think that was one of the most difficult lessons to learn. Being at a healthy weight and HAPPY is much more valuable to me than being thinner and miserable.” I couldn’t agree more with that statement and I can definitely relate to that.

Thank you so much again for sharing your experience with us and for being so open and honest about everything – there’s such comfort in knowing that I’m not the only one who’s gone through this. You’re such an inspiring person to me and I look forward to reading your next installment on road to recovery – and everything else too! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2010

I’m so glad that my words can help you with your own journey. I find that sometimes it can be very hard to put into words (especially over the internet!).
I always wish that I had set my goal as happiness when I was younger rather than a certain number on the scale. but I guess some lessons are learned the hard way. I havent weighed myself in a long long time and I have no desire to because I know my body is happy. It is just what has worked for me personally and I know that everyone’s path is different.
Thanks for your kind words!

Shayla December 16, 2010

You speak your words very well – that’s why I love your blog so much. You’re so very creative and write so well – and I just have to say you deserve to win Project Food Blog – I voted for everyone of your challenges! :)

Anyway, I too think the same thing how I wasted 7 years of my life in my 20′s worrying about my weight, calories, exercise, being too thin, etc. But I realized that everything happens for a reason and I don’t think I’d be the person I am today if that had not happened to me. I now appreciate so many other things in life, and who knows if I’d have this mindset if I had not gone through all those struggles. Not to mention, my husband (then boyfriend) stood by my side and encouraged me to get better every step of the way. There were good and bad times, but I think the whole situation made us stronger as a couple and now I know we can get through anything together. Maybe you and Eric had the same situation?

As you, I’m so much happier not caring about the number on the scale and just feeling my body being healthier and mind and spirit being in a happy place can’t ever be replaced.

Thanks again Angela and good luck (tomorrow?) in the Project Food Blog results! No matter what the results may be, I think I can speak for the whole blogging community in that you did an amazing job and you should be the clear winner! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2010

I really love what you said here…

‘I now appreciate so many other things in life, and who knows if I’d have this mindset if I had not gone through all those struggles. ‘

It is so true! I don’t think I would appreciate where I am with my own self acceptance if it had not been for going through some hard times. I thin it is best not to regret or view times in our lives as wasted. If we can learn a lesson from them, they are not wasted at all.

Thanks for your vote of support for tomorrow! Insomnia day 6 is running strong…haha

Shayla December 16, 2010

I think you’re my long lost sister – hahahaha! I love what you said as well about self acceptance, hard times, and the lessons we learn from them – so true!

Here’s to another healthy and happy year in 2011 and to living our lives to the fullest! I hope after tomorrow you’ll get your well deserved sleep! Good luck! :)

AGS December 15, 2010

Sorry to hear about the difficulty sleeping. Perhaps you can convince Eric to take you on an overnight after the votes are in Friday. Just to rest/relax for a night and not even think about anything, but the good work you’ve done for the past few months. Sometimes just a night off rejuvinates you — and forces you to “live” the particular moment — and being away from the area that you associate most intimately with work, can also be refreshing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2010

That sounds so fun, great idea!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 15, 2010

Wow you did it again…you blew my mind with the great recipe AND the adorable-ness of the finished product :)

And yes, homemade ALWAYS tastes better!

I have seen a few vegan recipes for graham crackers and one that’s actually a GF vegan recipe. Somehow I need to merge your recipe into a GF one in my mind, and once I figure that out, I will be making these! I loveeeeeed graham crackers as a kid. And smores :)

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble December 15, 2010

I need to try those yoga poses for insomnia! I’ve struggled with insomnia a lot and feel your pain of not sleeping! You’re graham crackers are so cute! So crazy to think how much time you spent to make them look pretty only to crumble them up in your Nanaiamo bars. PS – I had a Nanaiamo bar when I was in BC earlier this year and it was delicious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2010

haha I know I was thinking about that too…all for the sake of a photo! It was fun making these though! I cant wait to make more.

Marina December 15, 2010

I have to make those!
I made Ashley’s, but due to my stupid oven, in which I bake without knowing the temperature, some were to soft, and some overbaked :( Need a good oven :(

Christine December 15, 2010

I have battled insomnia as well. It’s always when I am stressed out and I will be up all night. I recently started taking passionflower about an hour before bed and sleep through the night! Even if I get up, I can fall right back asleep. I put the drops in a small glass of juice or tea before bed and it has truly been a life saver. I hesitate to recommend things, but feel this one is worth it.

Shanna, like Banana December 15, 2010

I like the little faces..very cute ;)

Bummer about the isomnia — I too struggle with it. It was horrible in college, but the more I “let go” of the worry about falling asleep, the easier it was.

jenny eats nutella from a spoon December 15, 2010

incred. thank you SO MUCH for sharing the recipe. i have never been more excited to try a recipe from OSG.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2010

hope you love them!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 15, 2010

Everything IS better homemade :)
Can’t wait for part 2!

Ashley December 15, 2010

I hope I have time to make the cinnamon honey flavor tonight!! Honored that you used my recipe, with a few tweeks, for part of your final PFB post. :) LOVE the cookie cutters…mine always look ridiculous ;)

Alicia December 15, 2010

Yum! I love homemade graham crackers… I especially love your little gingerbread men looking ones!

Alaina December 15, 2010

I cannot wait to make these! I think I’ll throw a gingerbread decorating party. :-)

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious December 15, 2010

these look awesome…i love molasses and ginger! i want to try these today. do you think it will turn out with all whole wheat??
maybe try focusing on your breath when you are going to sleep. i find that if my mind won’t shut off i really concentrate on each breath and i end up dosing off and having a deep, baby sleep.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2010

I tried all whole wheat and the dough was super crack-y for me…that is why i used the mix of white and whole wheat flours. :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? December 15, 2010

Those look so good! Its been SO long since Ive cooked with molassas – clearly I’ve dropped the ball.

Im interested to see if the yoga helps with your insomnia. I have the same issue when I have a lot on my mind, so it would really be nice to have something that actually works. You know, other than wine. :)

Page 1 of 212»