The Hummus That Changed Everything

20101115-IMG_0504

Happy first Saturday in December! :)

Is your shopping done yet?

I joke, I joke. ;)

Please tell me your shopping is not done yet. I will shed jealous crocodile tears if it is.

I have a couple quick announcements before I get into the post:

1) A huge thank you for your continued votes in Project Food Blog! Yesterday, I advanced to Challenge #9. I was a big ball of nerves all day I tell you. For challenge #9, they are cutting 12 contestants down to just 3 contestants for the final 10th round, so your votes will be more important than ever for this next one. Keep your eyes peeled for my 9th challenge post tomorrow. :) I’ve been working around the clock and very excited!

2) Holiday Glo Bar variety packs are on sale NOW (Sat Dec 4) and are expected to sell out quickly!

IMG_0452

And now on a more serious note, I talk hummus.

For hummus is not to be joked about. It is serious business.

The only problem with sharing a hummus recipe with you is that hummus taste preferences are so varied that it is difficult to say that this hummus recipe will be the perfect, life-changing fit for you, but I can tell you it is the right fit for me!

I can also tell you that the beauty of making hummus at home is that you can play around with the recipe to suit your own needs. Add ingredients like lemon, garlic, and salt gradually so you can taste test and adapt for your own preference.

With that being said, let’s get our hummus on!

IMG_4656

IMG_4633

One thing I love about homemade hummus is that it is so quick and easy to make!

It literally takes just 5 minutes before you are stuffing your face in hummus glory. :)

IMG_4638

The original recipe calls for 4 cloves of garlic, so I tried that out yesterday and it was way too garlicky for my liking. Two cloves is perfect for me!

I also had to cut down the salt as my canned chickpeas were salted.

IMG_4640

After a few adjustments, the result was a creamy and smooth hummus with the perfect consistency.

IMG_4649

Dare I say this was better than my favourite Fontaine Sante store bought hummus? Yes, I think I do.

I looked at my mom and said, ‘I will never buy store bought hummus again.’

IMG_4661

Don’t forget to drizzle on olive oil and a sprinkle of Paprika. This truly makes the hummus pop and gives it that smooth, buttery quality going down.

IMG_4665

Just perfect.

IMG_4667

The recipe makes about 2 cups and provides a quick and easy lunch spread for wraps, sandwiches, crackers, and veggies.

IMG_4671

Or you can just spoon feed yourself straight from the food processor as you stand there in your hummus ecstasy.

Not that I have done that or anything…

1 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 4, 2010

I love a good hummus! I ate an entire tub of white tuscan hummus from TJ’s in 2 days just this week. I have a hummus problem.

2 Mara @ What's For Dinner? December 4, 2010

A little hummus hint for even smoother hummus (from my Assyrian friend!): Pop the chickpeas out of their little skins before processing… its AMAZING and so worth the time!

3 OSGMOM December 4, 2010

Great tip. I’m going to try this!

4 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 4, 2010

very true!! so worth the time, result is amazing!

5 Kelcie December 4, 2010

I LOVE making my own hummus! I also put cayenne pepper and chili powder in mine for a little extra kick. So yummy!

6 Maissa December 4, 2010

This looks a lot like my dad’s recipe. He’s from the middle east (Tunisia) so he really knowsmwhat he’s doing. And although he might kill me for giving away his trade secrets, try adding just a bit of cumin in – it’ll take it to amwhole new level.

Ps. Congratss on making it to the nex pfbz round! I’m rooting for you to win this. Not only are you awesome, but we need some Canadian representation out there.

7 kristle December 30, 2012

i love cumin! just made this hummus recipe today and had to add some to it x)

8 Chloeandwahid August 27, 2014

Tunisia is North Africa.. No way the Middle East

9 rebecca lustig December 4, 2010

ive been looking for a clean, easy hummus recipe– THANK YOU!!!

10 Jenn (GH) December 4, 2010

I’m so excited for you!!!!!! :-D

I love hummus. LOVE. IT.

11 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 4, 2010

I asked my parents for a small food processor for Christmas and this is definitely going to be one of the first things I make with it. :D I’ve always wanted to make my own hummus.

12 Martha December 4, 2010

Congrats! You’ve got foodbuzz in the bag…

13 Camille December 4, 2010

Hummus is reallly high on the list of things I have been wanting to make. When my food processor arrives, it will probably be the first thing I make :)

14 Rhea (Greek Feaster) December 4, 2010

Brilliant! I read on another blog (Eating Bird Food, mayhaps?) that removing the little chickpea husks (tedious business) yields an ultra-smooth hummus. I like mine with smoked paprika on top for an unexpected zing a ling!
A college roommate of mine made hummus once and I remember being so impressed! It
s definitely one of those recipes you can crank out at home and put out in lieu of store bought. I do like the cilantro-jalapeno version from Trader Joe’s, though :)

15 Bridget December 4, 2010

I am so so so happy you made it through!!! I knew you would :) Now lets see you take it all the way to the top!

In regards to christmas shopping……..? yeah….i’m not even close to being done!

16 Lauren December 4, 2010

Congrats on Foodbuzz :)

17 Britt December 4, 2010

Yum! I’m a huge fan of a hummus recipe from Coconut and Lime, however hers is REALLY spicy. I think I’ll give this one a go!

Congrats on the challenge! I’m making your blondies tonight! :)

18 Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 4, 2010

I love hummus! I’ve never made it myself. Did you peel the chickpeas??

19 Lisa December 4, 2010

I just made a variation of this hummus recipe this afternoon! I, however, love the garlic so I put 5 cloves! I omit the tahini because every time I buy it (for this purpose only) it goes bad before I get a chance to use it all :(

Congratulations for making it through to the next round of PFB!!

20 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 4, 2010

Congrats on moving forward in FoodBuzz! I’m voting for you!

This hummus looks soooo good. I use infused olive oils with mine for extra flavor – love rosemary and roasted garlic.

21 Nicole @ Yuppie Yogini December 4, 2010

I’m a huge hummus fan. I use dried beans and heavily salt them while cooking–huge difference. I also like cumin in my hummus. Tabasco is a new idea to me, but I’m excited to try it!

22 Katy @ A Healthy Shot December 4, 2010

This is the recipe I use, sans tahini and hot sauce. I haven’t had store-bought hummus in over a year! Sometimes I throw in some basil for something different. And straight from the food processor is always necessary ;-)

23 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty December 4, 2010

First off congrats on the Foodbuzz, you’ll totally make it to the top!! Everybody loves OH SHE GLOWS! :)

An amazing addition to hummus is cilantro!! I didn’t believe it, but it’s oh so good!
Also adding different nut butters instead of tahini, so good!!

24 Liana @ femme fraiche December 4, 2010

I am obsessed with hummus. I actually just discovered Fontaine Sante at Costco and I swear my mom and I have become addicted. We refuse to buy any other kind. But now…you have given it some serious competition!

25 Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 4, 2010

My grandpa is israeli and makes hummus from his old family recipe ;) He soaks a big bag of chickpeas overnight then boils them and makes HUGE amounts of hummus for us that never last more than 3 days :) Yummmm, I want him to come back to visit now!

26 Elle @ Acquired Tastes December 4, 2010

How would you say this recipe compares to the other one you have? I think it was called 50 cent hummus? I like that one a lot :)

27 Ashley December 4, 2010

Oh my goodness that hummus looks delicious! Congratulations on Project Foodblog I’ll keep voting for you!

28 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 4, 2010

I definitely have a hummus addiction – we’ve talked before about the huge tubs from Costco… don’t get me started. :) This looks really great though – I always have a hard time making hummus at home – it is NEVER the right consistency!

29 Allison December 4, 2010

1st, homemade hummus is the best and its so easy (and much cheaper) then buying it from the store and 2nd, I know for a fact that this is good cause i always add siracha to my hummus and it is beyond amazing!!!! The heat from the siracha (or hot sauce) compliments the other flavors perfectly!

YAY!!!! I am super excited for you to win the whole competition:):):):) I think you should have a glo bar giveaway when you win!! just an idea….;);)

30 jeffie December 4, 2010

that looks incredibly delicious :)
i am definitely adding some tabasco in my hummus!

31 Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) December 4, 2010

Holy yummm. That looks amazing!

32 Lisa December 4, 2010

You can never go wrong with Ina; tried & true.

33 Katy (The Singing Runner) December 4, 2010

Thank you thank you thank you for the hummus recipe! :) Once I have a food processor, I will be making this!

34 Catherine December 4, 2010

Congrats on your progress in Foodbuzz – your entries are great! And thanks for sharing the side by side photos of you and Eric in your last post. You two look great! I just showed my husband for inspiration.

Any suggestions for tahini relacements? I know it’s difficult because that gives a lot of the smooth texture.

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010

im not sure there would be a sub for tahini in this recipe since it requires so much of it

36 Jessica January 24, 2013

I know this is old but I use plain non-fat yogurt. Actually I use plan non-fat Greek Yogurt now.

37 Krystina (Basil & Wine) December 4, 2010

I love mixing hummus with tempeh and making a Mediterranean “chicken” salad of sorts. It’s delicious!

38 Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside December 4, 2010

Big congrats on moving ahead to the next round of Project Food Blog! I can’t wait to see what you have in store :) That hummus is a lot like a recipe I use from the restaurant I work in. Next time I make it, though, I’ll use a food processor (I’ve been using a blender) and add the lemon/ salt to taste instead dumping everything in at once.

39 Healthy Chocoholic December 4, 2010

Yummy!!!! I don’t think that I’ve ever made or had hummus, even though I have tahini sitting in the cabinet…..now I have a yummy-looking recipe to try out!!!!!!!! Thanks!

40 Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 4, 2010

Hummus! I love it. I went to a restaurant dedicated to hummus this week. Now I shall make my own and open my own restaurant! Just kidding. But I have bought many disappointing hummuses from stores and only like one brand, so I am looking forward to trying yours! (Most likely with Mara’s tip above for extra creaminess!) Thanks Ange! P.S- I’m looking forward to voting for you in the next challenge!!

41 Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo December 4, 2010

Congrats on advancing! I’m definitely going to be making this hummus…tomorrow, perhaps?

42 Leanne @healthfulpursuit December 4, 2010

Or you can just spoon feed yourself straight from the food processor as you stand there in your hummus ecstasy = I’m so glad I’m not the only one that does exactly this.

Congrats on advancing! Can’t wait to see what’s up next.

43 ezzie December 4, 2010

that hummus looks diivinnee! & i LOVEEE tabasco sauce~!!

44 ezzie December 4, 2010

that hummus looks diivinnee! & i LOVEEE tabasco sauce~!!

45 Bronwyn Coyne December 4, 2010

OH yum! I love hummus. :)

46 Kim December 4, 2010

Congrats on the contest -I think you have it in the bag!

That hummus looks wonderful, so making it this weekend!

47 Sondi December 4, 2010

Yay! Once you make hummus yourself, it’s really hard to go back to store-bought. And you can make so many variations – I like throwing in some roasted red peppers, or tossing in a few handfuls of spinach. Yum.

48 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 4, 2010

I wish I could marry hummus…I had a lovely red pepper hummus and spinach wrap as part of my lunch today :)
Adding Tabasco to it is a great idea!

49 stacey-healthylife December 4, 2010

Congratulations. I am making that hummus. Last time I made hummus it tasted horrible. But if you say it’s the best then I trust you.

50 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious December 4, 2010

Congratulations on making it through! like the addition of tabasco…will have to try that.

51 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA December 4, 2010

I love hummus and it is so easy to make yourself! I want to try making an eggplant hummus — there’s a version at Trader Joe’s that’s really good.

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010

mmm eggplant hummus!!!

53 Laura @ Starloz December 4, 2010

love your recipe, yummo!

cant wait to see your food buzz post

54 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 4, 2010

I need to make my own hummus! Store bought isn’t cutting it.

55 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 4, 2010

This hummus looks amazing! Love the tabasco in it! Yum! I love hummus but often find commercially prepared hummus is a garlic and salt-fest…which some people are ok with but for me, doesnt work out so well so I always make my own if I want hummus. It’s so easy and never again would one need to pay $5 for a tub or whatever it is…especially w/ an amazing recipe like yours!!! :)

56 Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life December 4, 2010

YEEESSS!! Thank you for the recipe!!! You know, I had hummus that changed my life the other day, too!

57 Rachael December 4, 2010

The quest for the perfect hummus is epic – I’m glad your found your own version of the holy grail!
And congrats on PFB – I’m rooting (and voting) for you!

58 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 4, 2010

hummmus is yummusssss!

59 Heather (Faces of Beauty) December 4, 2010

anything from barefoot contessa wins in my book…she’s completely fabulous and has the BEST recipes!

60 Karen December 4, 2010

Congrats on your Project Food Blog win:))))
I know you are going to make it to the finals! Can’t wait to see your recipe for the 9th challenge. Votes are forth-coming!

I can not believe you’ve never made your own hummus before this!! So great! I’ve been using Emeril’s recipe off the Food Network for a few years now; I NEVER buy it. Your recipe is very similar to what I do. I recommend (for variation) adding a jar of roasted red pappers or a jar of pitted kalamata olives to the base recipe. (Perhaps even less salt in the olive version). YUM!!!
Congrats on discovering homemade hummus!!
Enjoy!!

61 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010

thanks! :)

ive made hummus before but it was never enough to convince me not to buy my fav store bought :)

62 Danielle December 4, 2010

Looks delicious!! Will be trying tomorrow!

63 Sana December 4, 2010

I can’t eat too much hummus. I won’t have any friends if you know what I mean…

64 Mauimandy@The Grains of Paradise December 4, 2010

Congrats on advancing to round 9!
That hummus looks insane! I’m bookmarking this post!!
Aloha :)

65 Diana @ frontyardfoodie December 5, 2010

Hummus is my drug. I make it all the time and almost ONLY eat it with carrots! Yum Yum Yum.

You’re so right that it IS seriously business.

66 Seglare December 5, 2010

My favorite hummus recipe is almost 100% identical with yours (the ingredients are all the same, but some of the amounts vary slightly) – and I’ll have to agree with you, it is so good! :) Since I found the recipe a few years ago, I haven’t bought hummus in the store once. I often use Sriracha instead of Tabasco, but as you say, it’s all a matter of taste.

Congratulations on making it to round 9 in the Project Food Blog challenge! I have been so impressed with all the hard work you have put in it, and can’t wait to see what you come up with this time. :)

67 Wei-Wei December 5, 2010

CONGRATS on the PFB – you’re amazing and I bet you’ll make it to the next round for sure ;) This hummus sounds amazing, by the way. I usually make mine from dried chickpeas… would there be any loss of flavour that way? I like to add more salt, but I never add garlic. I think I’ll try that this time around!

68 Lauren M. December 5, 2010

Just made it. It changed EVERYTHING. The end.

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010

yay!!!

70 Sarah December 5, 2010

Yum! I would be right there along with you, eating freshly made hummus, straight from the food processor.

71 tweal December 5, 2010

I am also a serious fan of Fontaine Sante hummus, and their baba ganoush. I do make my own hummus and dips which I like as much, but sometimes it’s so much easier to open a container than make my own. I’m glad you found a hummus that you love – it really is one of the perfect foods.

72 Melissa @ Vegan CacaoBee December 5, 2010

Congrats on Project Food Blog! So excited to see what’s in store for challenge #9. Good luck!

73 Sierra December 5, 2010

Oh. My. God. I made this hummus last night and it is incredible. I’m tyically not a hummus fan but after tasting this, it will be a staple in my fridge. Thanks for the recipe!

74 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 5, 2010

I love homemade hummus! You are right, it’s so personal. I always add extra EVOO and garlic.

75 Shawna December 5, 2010

You should post a healthy vegan potato/sweet potato LATKE recipe for all the jews celebrating Hanukkah this week. I can’t bring myself to fry them in a bunch of oil. What should I do?

76 Liz Collins December 5, 2010

I just received my new food processor and this is going to be my first use for it! It sounds amazing and I have a serious addiction to hummus. I can’t wait to try it! Thank you!

77 traci December 5, 2010

Oooooo :D Yummy can’t wait to get my hummus on :)

78 Amber K December 5, 2010

Ahh, maybe that has been my problem! I try to overcompensate when trying to adjust the taste of my homemade hummus. That’s why I still haven’t found one I truly love.

79 Moni'sMeals December 5, 2010

Lovely Hummus recipe, thanks!

No fear Angela! You are going to win the Profect Food Blog Challenge. :)

80 Halley (Blunder Construction) December 5, 2010

Mmmm, looks delicious! What to do if you wind up with too much hummus? (as if that is possible) Do you think it’s freezer friendly?

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010

I was wondering this myself…anyone know?

you could also make a half batch too

82 AGS December 5, 2010

I find that the more oil/tahina, the better it keeps in the freezer. More water translates to it breaking down when you later defrost it.

83 Melinda December 5, 2010

The hummus looks really good. My step dad’s mom makes the best hummus ever, but I think this is because she is from Egypt, so it is supper authentic. She makes the best falafel too.

My shopping is done because Hanukkah is half way over already. It was not be a good thing if I did not have my presents in order.

84 gabriella @ embracement December 5, 2010

Homemade hummus is so quick and easy and I love that you can change the whole flavor up with just one ingredient!

85 Hillary December 5, 2010

1) Congratulations on PFB! You are awesome!
2) Do you know when you’ll have more holiday variety packs available? You were right, they sold out fast! I’d love to get some for Christmas this year!

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

I will have to see if I can get caught up first :) Not sure yet

87 Violetta Maria December 5, 2010

That hummus looks amazing…… but not nearly as amazing as the glow bar holiday pack…. which was sold out when I went to buy it today at 1:15 (central). I want one more than anything, there isnt any chance you forgot about one and you wan to sell it to me :-) pleeeaassseee! Ps on a side note made the snicker doodels and brought them to work yeasterday where I am the only vegan and everyone loved them, I made 3 x the recipie and it was gone by noon. They were amazing, and they helped me show my work friends that being vegan doesn’t mean giving up all yummy food for ever! Your recipies are the best!!

88 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle December 5, 2010

that hummus looks amazing!!!

89 AGS December 5, 2010

That’s almost exactly how I make hummus. I very much prefer making my own — and every time I make it, I think “I can’t believe how easy this is!” ;) Happy eating!

90 Natalia - a side of simple December 5, 2010

Congratulations on advancing with Foodbuzz! You can already count on my vote ;)

91 Allison December 5, 2010

I just made this recipe — it was awesome! I used some leftover bean and garlic mixture from your High Protein Mashed Potatoes I made yesterday (which were also awesome!), and it worked great. Just a suggestion for anyone else who ended up with too many beans!

92 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010

thats a great idea!

93 Kirsten Nikol December 5, 2010

I tried making your recipe for the humus that changed everything, and it was A-MA-ZING!!! me and my family had it with some toasted baguette slices :) even my dad, who hates humus, loved it!!! i want to save this recipe and have my friends try it too!! :) thank you so much for putting your cooking online for us to see!!

94 Celena December 6, 2010

Yum! I just made this and your multiseed crackers for snacks for the weeks, the spoonful I ate straight out of the processor was delicious :)

95 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 6, 2010

I only started really liking hummus about 5 months ago but now I can’t get enough – and it’s always home made!! I love the idea of putting Tabasco in! :)

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

yes the tabasco was really fun!

97 KellyJ December 6, 2010

Are you really sold out of the Holiday Glo Bar Variety packs? It was only 2 days… :(

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010

yes so sorry! :( It sold out in 2-3 hours. If I get caught up I will be releasing more (but ill announce date/time on blog before doing so)

99 Ashley December 6, 2010

Angela!! SO Glad you enjoyed The Coup! Awesome post, I will be voting for you :)

100 Jennie (in Wonderland) December 6, 2010

My best tip for ultimate, authentic-tasting hummus is to make it in the blender, not the food processor. It takes a little extra work and a bit more chickpea water (usually about 1/4 cup) but it yields the most fantastically smooth and creamy hummus. Even my fiance loves it and he always pretends to hate healthy food, ha ha.

I just whipped up a batch of your recipe tonight and it’s fantastic! Like I said, I stuck it all in the blender and also added a bit more chickpea water plus two tablespoons of olive oil. It’s out of this world delicious!

101 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan December 7, 2010

Leave it to Ina to design the perfect hummus…yum.

102 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan December 7, 2010

Leave it to Ina to design the perfect hummus…yum.

103 Sarah April 11, 2012

I’m going to be catering for a yoga teacher training retreat this summer so I have been stocking up on hummus recipes! My favorite is to sub about 1/2 of the chickpeas with edamame, use lime instead of lemon, and sub out the tahini for macadamia nuts. You have to add a little more liquid, but it makes a really delicious hummus!
Another tip–I have a really crummy food processor–I just end up with chunky hummus :( so I started using my immersion blender. It works so well!

104 Courtney April 15, 2012

OMG Hummus. That’s what this should be called…it’s so good!

105 Willow April 19, 2012

Mmm, love hummus! But, there’s a small flaw in your recipe. The part where you say it’ll last 4-5 days in the fridge… that jut isn’t true. Hummus doesn’t last one day around here! Nom! ;)

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 19, 2012

haha so true!

107 Chris Johnson April 19, 2012

May I make one suggestion?

Do NOT use the liquid from the can – almost all can’s are lined with plastic – so that liquid that you are using is loaded with BPA.
Unless you buy your chickpeas from someone like Eden Foods, who uses a ceramic can liner, the liquid should always be drained – no exceptions.
BPA is one of the biggest hidden health hazards of the 20/21st century – it’s one of those substances that people in 50 years will be saying “What were the hell where they thinking using that stuff?!”

108 Melissa April 22, 2012

Hello! I love your website…Im working on transfering my family to a more natural way of life….LOVE your site. Stumbled upon it through pinterest and I looked at every single recipe you have! Even saved it to my favorites!

My question is- I have been looking for a recipe for a granola bar similar to your Holiday Glo bars that you aparently sold at christmas time. I wondered if you have posted a recipe for that somewhere and I just cant find it. I would love to make them. THanks.

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2012

Hey Melissa! Thanks for your kind words about the blog. I dont have it posted but hope to post a couple glo bar recipes in my cookbook. Take care!

110 Jennifer June 12, 2012

Wow. This is literally the best hummus I have ever had! I am currently dipping fresh cucumbers in it. YUM!

I would also like to add that I didn’t have any Tahini on hand but I did have some sesame seeds so I put a 1/4 cup of those in there instead as well as an extra clove of garlic (what can I say, I love garlic!).

111 Sharon June 19, 2012

WOW! That is one incredible hummus! Thank you! I left off the olive oil and only used 1/8 tsp of salt.

112 Jon July 17, 2012

After browsing your website for a few weeks I finally got around to trying one of your recipes…Amazing! This hummus is a game changer. Absolutely perfect!

Thank you Angela for your recipes and for the great stories that go into each one.

113 Annie July 18, 2012

Just made this as forgot to buy hummus with my groceries today and omg, I will never buy hummus ever again. This recipe is so easy and the result is amazing, just how I like my hummus too! Thank you so much angela :)

114 Annie July 18, 2012

Out of interest, I just put the nutritional info in my calculator too. It is SO much healthier than bought hummus (aka you can have double the amount :D)

115 Yansy July 25, 2012

I am going to make this. I am so glad you took a photo of the ingredients, especially the tahini sauce. I was wondering what kind to buy. Your blog is really wonderful, thank you so much for sharing it!

116 Anne-Michelle Frances July 30, 2012

Lemon juice in lieu of olive oil — never though of it, and I LOVE IT! And the Tabasco was the icing on the cake. I made this for my kids to eat throughout the day with their babysitters, and I ate almost all of it before leaving for work. Definitely my new favorite hummus!

117 Heidi August 13, 2012

Yum!! I have tried several hummus recipes but this one is da bomb!! My sweet daughters are gobbling it up!

118 Cynthia September 10, 2012

Made my FIRST hummus ever today! Thank you for the inspiration! With a title like “The Hummus that Changed Everything, even this lazy girl couldn’t resist trying! lol So easy, so much cheaper than store-bought & tastier, too! =)

119 Cynthia September 10, 2012

*” and *, <—- Sorry, I'm a bit of a grammar nut!

120 Sue Walters September 16, 2012

Wow! I made this tonight having found it on Pinterest and it’s amazing!! We love hummous and this will definitely save us some money. Thank you!

121 Theresa September 30, 2012

Here it is

122 Cristy October 13, 2012

Hi Angela! I made my (very first) hummus today using your recipe and I LOVE the taste! Thank you for the recipe. I sure will share it! :)

123 Stephanay November 3, 2012

Sound syummy. I will try this because I love hummus.

124 Kate December 18, 2012

I’m really picky when it comes to hummus, so I only ever eat it when I’m at my fav restaurant… Most of the super-market brands are either super heavy on tahini or spices (like cumin.) I like just plain with lemon and garlic (roasted,) and when I have the time I follow a recipe similar to this but simmer the canned chickpeas in water with a clove of garlic, then strain and puree the garlic (cooked and fresh) lemon juice, and tahini together, and then the chickpeas, which I found results in a really creamy texture without skinning them first.

125 lana357 December 25, 2012

I made my own hummus a week ago for the first time, using a similar recipe. And, just like you, I’m pretty sure I won’t go back to store-bought again! Who knew that something so simple could be so superior when created at home?

126 Joanne January 22, 2013

This is, indeed, the hummus that changed everything. I’ve been making my own hummus for a year now using a “pretty good” recipe that I found online….but it just never quite had the taste of the yummy storebought ones. After trying this recipe…. “EUREKA! I’ve found it!” More tahini and more lemon! (and I’m sure the Tabasco helps….I’ve been using the green one which has a little less kick and is perfect for us). Thank you also to the peeps who wrote about removing the skins for a smoother texture! I think it really does make a difference. I’m hooked!

127 Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 31, 2013

Yess! I love the lemon, I add tons of lemon :)
Coupla years ago when I was transitioning from being vegetarian to being vegan [after finding out about the horrors of factory farming] I was really clueless as to what to snack on. Hummus saved the day! Perfect haha

128 Rebecca March 18, 2013

I just made this recipe, and I will never be buying hummus from the store again! I was on a chickpea and tahini kick tonight because I made your Buddha Bowl with the Lightened Up Lemon Tahini sauce and had cooked up way too many chickpeas (I still have some in the fridge). I used my blender for this, and the texture came out just perfect. I did add some cumin, and crushed red chili peppers, but I like it hot. =P This will be so good on my salads and wraps! On a side note, it was fantastic straight from the blender as well!

129 Valium April 24, 2013

Your write-up has proven useful to us. It’s extremely informative and you’re clearly really knowledgeable in this area. You possess popped my sight in order to various opinion of this particular subject matter using interesting and reliable content material.

130 paula porter May 3, 2013

It is 7:50am and my girls (3.5y and 21m) are gathered around a bowl eating carrots and this delicious hummus!!!

131 Krystyna May 28, 2013

Hi,
I’ve been going through so many of your previous posts, having just discovered your website a couple weeks ago. AMAZING!!!
I grew up in Canada, absolutely ate my weight twice over in Fontaine Sante hummus and veg pate. Now that I’ve moved to New Zealand, I’m saddened to say, the hummus is just not up to Fontaine Sante standard. I’m hoping you can help me:
– How would you modify this recipe to mimic the Fontaine Sante “vegetable” flavored hummus — it’s got a green label.
– How would you go about making one of their famous vege pates???
Thanks so much for the amazing recipes. :)

132 Sher June 9, 2013

First recipe that I’ve tried from your blog (but it certainly will NOT be the last…I think I want to try everything you’ve posted!)…This was amazing, even though I forgot the garlic! (I’ll *have* to add it before I sit down to dinner with my veggies, hummus and wine.) I also made the chickpeas from scratch – what an amazing difference in flavor! Your recipes are the best form of encouragement. Thanks!

133 Allyson July 5, 2013

I loved the addition of the tahini but found this to be way too much lemon. Did you mean 7-8 teaspoons? Thanks.

134 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2013

Sorry Allyson, I did mean tablespoons but I probably should have called it LEMONY hummus to emphasize how lemony it is. Thanks for your feedback!

135 Carole July 11, 2013

I buy dried chick peas and soak in water – does this mean that i would cook them first to make this hummus?
your thoughts would be helpful
cheers
Carole

136 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2013

Yes cook them before making the hummus – enjoy!

137 Moms_GoingGreen July 20, 2013

By far my favorite Hummus recipe. Eager to try your red pepper and edamame hummus recipes next! Also have to share this great find on my Pinterest to Vegan Food board.

138 Yvonne August 31, 2013

Tip: Not all Tahini is made equal. Different brands changed the flavor of my hummus. If someone out there finds they don’t like hummus it’s probably the tahini that was added.

139 Raina September 12, 2013

Hi, please help!
I make homemade hummus and every time it goes bad by the third day. It starts getting a little fizzy and there are air pockets in it and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I soak the beans overnight, boil them, then blend the usual suspects for a delicious hummus. I put it in a tupperware container and refrigerate. I get two days of normal hummus then, hmm, this doesnt seem quite right Honey.

140 alissa October 10, 2013

Best hummus. Ever.

141 AR Fan January 27, 2014

The recipe name says it all for me, too! I’ve tried so many hummus recipes but never found one that just ‘hit the spot’ until I made this one. Now, it’s my favorite hummus! Ceamy lusciousness on bread with slices of tomato and avocado… Mmm, good!!! Thanks so much, Angela, for passing on the perfect hummus recipe!!!

142 Fran January 31, 2014

Thanks for the recipe … I tried it and LOVED it. I also skinned each chickpea before tossing in the food processor to achieve a super smooth hummus texture. It was a little time consuming, but it only took 15 minutes and made a noticeable difference. If squeezed just right, the chickpea slides right out of the skin. This was yum!!

143 John May 14, 2014

I had previously given up on making my own hummus, but after finishing off my hummus for the week in 4 days (at a price of $5.99), I decided I had to give it another try. I must say, this was without a doubt the best hummus I’ve ever tasted. This is coming from someone who has been to the Middle East several times and frequents Middle Eastern restaurants regularly. Hummus is of course in the eye of beholder, and there are so many different recipes with different consistencies and flavors, but I just love this one. It is on the thicker side, and the store-brand hummus it reminds me of the most, both in flavor and texture/consistency, is Athenos original hummus.

Anyways, I highly recommend this recipe, and I enjoy your blog a lot, keep up the great work!

144 Scarlett May 20, 2014

I made this tonight and it is DELICIOUS.

145 Jessica Fig August 6, 2014

This is my new go-to hummus recipe! I have made it a few times with different variations. Today I did half white (cannellini) beans and half chickpeas. Last time I removed most of the chickpea skins, but this time I did not. Both times it yielded a very smooth hummus so I am not sure if skinning the chickpeas is completely worth the time. I love dipping raw veggies or crackers in this hummus – SO GOOD :) I have also been having mixed greens salads with lots of fresh veggies, quinoa, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a dollop of this hummus on the side. Thank you for another great recipe!

146 Susan August 16, 2014

I love this hummus. I had hoped to use it for lunches this week but the first batch has gone already! Need to make another one.
Thanks

147 Deborah H August 21, 2014

I love this hummus! What really makes it taste special to me is that you left out the cumin and so the clean fresh taste of the hummus can shine :) I also made a batch of your spiced pita chips (from the OSG cookbook)… AMAZING! I think that I heard angels sing when I took my first bite!!!

148 Tamara September 17, 2014

I’ve made hummus for years but as easy as it is to make, I’ve never been happy with my “recipe”, no matter how much I doctored it up. Who knew that the trick for me, anyway, was to leave out the cumin and add some hot sauce? I tried this tonight and I didn’t have any hot sauce in the house but I used siracha and it came out great! Thank you so much!

149 Ali Morris November 5, 2014

This really is the hummus that changed everything. I thought I hated hummus until I tried this recipe. Store bought hummus is bland and awful, this is pure magic. Thank you :)
p.s I love hummus

150 sarah November 16, 2014

This was amazing hummus – have made it twice now. I didn’t even add the salt this time and it was still amazing. Will be making over and over. Thank you!!

151 Karrie December 10, 2014

OK, I just *finally* got around to trying this recipe and WOW! I think it is better than Fontaine Sante!! Thank you so much!!

152 Sandy July 21, 2015

Hey just thought I’d add that as I was missing tobacso, I used plenty more of a Trinidad hotsauce, left the shells, 7 tbsp of lemon is enough and ITS AWESOME
Thanks so much!

153 Taylor DiFonzo September 7, 2015

I’m 17 and I am trying to make a slow transition into going vegan. I made this hummus and some homemade pita bread today and it was soooo good! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It only took like 7 minutes to make :D

154 Suzan Vasica December 27, 2015

Is 7 to 8 “tbsp” of lemon juice a typo? I made this hummus and omg that’s lie not far off 1 cup lemon juice. It was so sour I had to add some agave to make it edible. Was still quite lemony but was easy to eat. Was quite nice after that. When I me this again I think I’ll greatly reduce the lemon

155 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 30, 2015

Hi Suzan, 1 cup has 16 tablespoons in it so 7-8 is much less. :) Hope you didn’t use a full cup – yes that would be tart!

156 Suzan Vasica December 30, 2015

Angela I actually counted 8 tablespoons of juice into a measuring cup and it was not far off one cup. I think the US Standard measurements compared to Australian standard measurements made mine so much more. Our 1 tablespoon is 20ml and 1 cup is 250ml. Yes I did put it all in lmao. When I asked my sis she said just put it in hahaha. But all ended up well. We added some Agave to take much of the tartness away so was tangy but quite nice. I made it again today for New Years Eve, and this time just used the juice of 2 lemons lol. Still may add more next time jaut not as much as first time Its a yummy recipe and I haven’t bothered looking up any others

157 Gauri January 27, 2016

Perfect taste!

158 Laura April 30, 2016

I think the recipe means 7-8 tsp lemon juice vice Tbsp. Ours is runny and very lemon-flavored! :)

159 Sheebu May 1, 2016

Oh my god I love hummus so much,and this would save me so much of money! So simple and easy! Thank you for sharing!

160 Lucy May 8, 2016

This is delicious. First recipe I’ve made of yours and it’s great. I found it a little too much tahini for my taste though, so going to try less next time. I bought some ready made stuff in case I mucked it up, but I wish I hadn’t bothered, it is awesome! Thank you! :D x

161 Angela Liddon May 9, 2016

Aw, I’m so glad the recipe was a hit, Lucy! I hope you enjoy whatever recipe you try next just as well. Happy cooking! :)

162 Edi May 26, 2016

I love hummus so much! I used this recipe and omitted oil. So good!

163 Risa June 16, 2016

I MADE THIS!!!!! and i loved it so so much!!!! thank you!! ! It was so pretty w the paprika on top too.

164 Angela Liddon June 16, 2016

So glad you enjoyed it, Risa!