The Hummus That Changed Everything

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 4, 2010

20101115-IMG_0504

Happy first Saturday in December! :)

Is your shopping done yet?

I joke, I joke. ;)

Please tell me your shopping is not done yet. I will shed jealous crocodile tears if it is.

I have a couple quick announcements before I get into the post:

1) A huge thank you for your continued votes in Project Food Blog! Yesterday, I advanced to Challenge #9. I was a big ball of nerves all day I tell you. For challenge #9, they are cutting 12 contestants down to just 3 contestants for the final 10th round, so your votes will be more important than ever for this next one. Keep your eyes peeled for my 9th challenge post tomorrow. :) I’ve been working around the clock and very excited!

2) Holiday Glo Bar variety packs are on sale NOW (Sat Dec 4) and are expected to sell out quickly!

IMG_0452

And now on a more serious note, I talk hummus.

For hummus is not to be joked about. It is serious business.

The only problem with sharing a hummus recipe with you is that hummus taste preferences are so varied that it is difficult to say that this hummus recipe will be the perfect, life-changing fit for you, but I can tell you it is the right fit for me!

I can also tell you that the beauty of making hummus at home is that you can play around with the recipe to suit your own needs. Add ingredients like lemon, garlic, and salt gradually so you can taste test and adapt for your own preference.

With that being said, let’s get our hummus on!

IMG_4656

IMG_4633

One thing I love about homemade hummus is that it is so quick and easy to make!

It literally takes just 5 minutes before you are stuffing your face in hummus glory. :)

IMG_4638

The original recipe calls for 4 cloves of garlic, so I tried that out yesterday and it was way too garlicky for my liking. Two cloves is perfect for me!

I also had to cut down the salt as my canned chickpeas were salted.

IMG_4640

After a few adjustments, the result was a creamy and smooth hummus with the perfect consistency.

IMG_4649

Dare I say this was better than my favourite Fontaine Sante store bought hummus? Yes, I think I do.

I looked at my mom and said, ‘I will never buy store bought hummus again.’

IMG_4661

Don’t forget to drizzle on olive oil and a sprinkle of Paprika. This truly makes the hummus pop and gives it that smooth, buttery quality going down.

IMG_4665

Just perfect.

IMG_4667

The recipe makes about 2 cups and provides a quick and easy lunch spread for wraps, sandwiches, crackers, and veggies.

IMG_4671

Or you can just spoon feed yourself straight from the food processor as you stand there in your hummus ecstasy.

Not that I have done that or anything…

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is December 4, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I love a good hummus! I ate an entire tub of white tuscan hummus from TJ’s in 2 days just this week. I have a hummus problem.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? December 4, 2010 at 12:17 pm

A little hummus hint for even smoother hummus (from my Assyrian friend!): Pop the chickpeas out of their little skins before processing… its AMAZING and so worth the time!

OSGMOM December 4, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Great tip. I’m going to try this!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 4, 2010 at 9:42 pm

very true!! so worth the time, result is amazing!

Kelcie December 4, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I LOVE making my own hummus! I also put cayenne pepper and chili powder in mine for a little extra kick. So yummy!

Maissa December 4, 2010 at 12:24 pm

This looks a lot like my dad’s recipe. He’s from the middle east (Tunisia) so he really knowsmwhat he’s doing. And although he might kill me for giving away his trade secrets, try adding just a bit of cumin in – it’ll take it to amwhole new level.

Ps. Congratss on making it to the nex pfbz round! I’m rooting for you to win this. Not only are you awesome, but we need some Canadian representation out there.

kristle December 30, 2012 at 4:10 pm

i love cumin! just made this hummus recipe today and had to add some to it x)

Chloeandwahid August 27, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Tunisia is North Africa.. No way the Middle East

rebecca lustig December 4, 2010 at 12:26 pm

ive been looking for a clean, easy hummus recipe– THANK YOU!!!

Jenn (GH) December 4, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I’m so excited for you!!!!!! :-D

I love hummus. LOVE. IT.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 4, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I asked my parents for a small food processor for Christmas and this is definitely going to be one of the first things I make with it. :D I’ve always wanted to make my own hummus.

Martha December 4, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Congrats! You’ve got foodbuzz in the bag…

Camille December 4, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Hummus is reallly high on the list of things I have been wanting to make. When my food processor arrives, it will probably be the first thing I make :)

Rhea (Greek Feaster) December 4, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Brilliant! I read on another blog (Eating Bird Food, mayhaps?) that removing the little chickpea husks (tedious business) yields an ultra-smooth hummus. I like mine with smoked paprika on top for an unexpected zing a ling!
A college roommate of mine made hummus once and I remember being so impressed! It
s definitely one of those recipes you can crank out at home and put out in lieu of store bought. I do like the cilantro-jalapeno version from Trader Joe’s, though :)

Bridget December 4, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I am so so so happy you made it through!!! I knew you would :) Now lets see you take it all the way to the top!

In regards to christmas shopping……..? yeah….i’m not even close to being done!

Lauren December 4, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Congrats on Foodbuzz :)

Britt December 4, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Yum! I’m a huge fan of a hummus recipe from Coconut and Lime, however hers is REALLY spicy. I think I’ll give this one a go!

Congrats on the challenge! I’m making your blondies tonight! :)

Liz @ Blog is the New Black December 4, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I love hummus! I’ve never made it myself. Did you peel the chickpeas??

Lisa December 4, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I just made a variation of this hummus recipe this afternoon! I, however, love the garlic so I put 5 cloves! I omit the tahini because every time I buy it (for this purpose only) it goes bad before I get a chance to use it all :(

Congratulations for making it through to the next round of PFB!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 4, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Congrats on moving forward in FoodBuzz! I’m voting for you!

This hummus looks soooo good. I use infused olive oils with mine for extra flavor – love rosemary and roasted garlic.

Nicole @ Yuppie Yogini December 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I’m a huge hummus fan. I use dried beans and heavily salt them while cooking–huge difference. I also like cumin in my hummus. Tabasco is a new idea to me, but I’m excited to try it!

Katy @ A Healthy Shot December 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm

This is the recipe I use, sans tahini and hot sauce. I haven’t had store-bought hummus in over a year! Sometimes I throw in some basil for something different. And straight from the food processor is always necessary ;-)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty December 4, 2010 at 1:28 pm

First off congrats on the Foodbuzz, you’ll totally make it to the top!! Everybody loves OH SHE GLOWS! :)

An amazing addition to hummus is cilantro!! I didn’t believe it, but it’s oh so good!
Also adding different nut butters instead of tahini, so good!!

Liana @ femme fraiche December 4, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I am obsessed with hummus. I actually just discovered Fontaine Sante at Costco and I swear my mom and I have become addicted. We refuse to buy any other kind. But now…you have given it some serious competition!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 4, 2010 at 1:42 pm

My grandpa is israeli and makes hummus from his old family recipe ;) He soaks a big bag of chickpeas overnight then boils them and makes HUGE amounts of hummus for us that never last more than 3 days :) Yummmm, I want him to come back to visit now!

Elle @ Acquired Tastes December 4, 2010 at 1:44 pm

How would you say this recipe compares to the other one you have? I think it was called 50 cent hummus? I like that one a lot :)

Ashley December 4, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Oh my goodness that hummus looks delicious! Congratulations on Project Foodblog I’ll keep voting for you!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 4, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I definitely have a hummus addiction – we’ve talked before about the huge tubs from Costco… don’t get me started. :) This looks really great though – I always have a hard time making hummus at home – it is NEVER the right consistency!

Allison December 4, 2010 at 1:58 pm

1st, homemade hummus is the best and its so easy (and much cheaper) then buying it from the store and 2nd, I know for a fact that this is good cause i always add siracha to my hummus and it is beyond amazing!!!! The heat from the siracha (or hot sauce) compliments the other flavors perfectly!

YAY!!!! I am super excited for you to win the whole competition:):):):) I think you should have a glo bar giveaway when you win!! just an idea….;);)

jeffie December 4, 2010 at 2:37 pm

that looks incredibly delicious :)
i am definitely adding some tabasco in my hummus!

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) December 4, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Holy yummm. That looks amazing!

Lisa December 4, 2010 at 2:40 pm

You can never go wrong with Ina; tried & true.

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Thank you thank you thank you for the hummus recipe! :) Once I have a food processor, I will be making this!

Catherine December 4, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Congrats on your progress in Foodbuzz – your entries are great! And thanks for sharing the side by side photos of you and Eric in your last post. You two look great! I just showed my husband for inspiration.

Any suggestions for tahini relacements? I know it’s difficult because that gives a lot of the smooth texture.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010 at 1:36 pm

im not sure there would be a sub for tahini in this recipe since it requires so much of it

Jessica January 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I know this is old but I use plain non-fat yogurt. Actually I use plan non-fat Greek Yogurt now.

Krystina (Basil & Wine) December 4, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I love mixing hummus with tempeh and making a Mediterranean “chicken” salad of sorts. It’s delicious!

[email protected] Stepping to the Brightside December 4, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Big congrats on moving ahead to the next round of Project Food Blog! I can’t wait to see what you have in store :) That hummus is a lot like a recipe I use from the restaurant I work in. Next time I make it, though, I’ll use a food processor (I’ve been using a blender) and add the lemon/ salt to taste instead dumping everything in at once.

Healthy Chocoholic December 4, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Yummy!!!! I don’t think that I’ve ever made or had hummus, even though I have tahini sitting in the cabinet…..now I have a yummy-looking recipe to try out!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 4, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Hummus! I love it. I went to a restaurant dedicated to hummus this week. Now I shall make my own and open my own restaurant! Just kidding. But I have bought many disappointing hummuses from stores and only like one brand, so I am looking forward to trying yours! (Most likely with Mara’s tip above for extra creaminess!) Thanks Ange! P.S- I’m looking forward to voting for you in the next challenge!!

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo December 4, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Congrats on advancing! I’m definitely going to be making this hummus…tomorrow, perhaps?

Leanne @healthfulpursuit December 4, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Or you can just spoon feed yourself straight from the food processor as you stand there in your hummus ecstasy = I’m so glad I’m not the only one that does exactly this.

Congrats on advancing! Can’t wait to see what’s up next.

ezzie December 4, 2010 at 4:33 pm

that hummus looks diivinnee! & i LOVEEE tabasco sauce~!!

ezzie December 4, 2010 at 4:33 pm

that hummus looks diivinnee! & i LOVEEE tabasco sauce~!!

Bronwyn Coyne December 4, 2010 at 4:48 pm

OH yum! I love hummus. :)

Kim December 4, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Congrats on the contest -I think you have it in the bag!

That hummus looks wonderful, so making it this weekend!

Sondi December 4, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Yay! Once you make hummus yourself, it’s really hard to go back to store-bought. And you can make so many variations – I like throwing in some roasted red peppers, or tossing in a few handfuls of spinach. Yum.

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 4, 2010 at 5:14 pm

I wish I could marry hummus…I had a lovely red pepper hummus and spinach wrap as part of my lunch today :)
Adding Tabasco to it is a great idea!

stacey-healthylife December 4, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Congratulations. I am making that hummus. Last time I made hummus it tasted horrible. But if you say it’s the best then I trust you.

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious December 4, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Congratulations on making it through! like the addition of tabasco…will have to try that.

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA December 4, 2010 at 6:52 pm

I love hummus and it is so easy to make yourself! I want to try making an eggplant hummus — there’s a version at Trader Joe’s that’s really good.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010 at 1:35 pm

mmm eggplant hummus!!!

Laura @ Starloz December 4, 2010 at 6:59 pm

love your recipe, yummo!

cant wait to see your food buzz post

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) December 4, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I need to make my own hummus! Store bought isn’t cutting it.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 4, 2010 at 7:16 pm

This hummus looks amazing! Love the tabasco in it! Yum! I love hummus but often find commercially prepared hummus is a garlic and salt-fest…which some people are ok with but for me, doesnt work out so well so I always make my own if I want hummus. It’s so easy and never again would one need to pay $5 for a tub or whatever it is…especially w/ an amazing recipe like yours!!! :)

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life December 4, 2010 at 8:00 pm

YEEESSS!! Thank you for the recipe!!! You know, I had hummus that changed my life the other day, too!

Rachael December 4, 2010 at 8:37 pm

The quest for the perfect hummus is epic – I’m glad your found your own version of the holy grail!
And congrats on PFB – I’m rooting (and voting) for you!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 4, 2010 at 9:40 pm

hummmus is yummusssss!

Heather (Faces of Beauty) December 4, 2010 at 10:10 pm

anything from barefoot contessa wins in my book…she’s completely fabulous and has the BEST recipes!

Karen December 4, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Congrats on your Project Food Blog win:))))
I know you are going to make it to the finals! Can’t wait to see your recipe for the 9th challenge. Votes are forth-coming!

I can not believe you’ve never made your own hummus before this!! So great! I’ve been using Emeril’s recipe off the Food Network for a few years now; I NEVER buy it. Your recipe is very similar to what I do. I recommend (for variation) adding a jar of roasted red pappers or a jar of pitted kalamata olives to the base recipe. (Perhaps even less salt in the olive version). YUM!!!
Congrats on discovering homemade hummus!!
Enjoy!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010 at 1:34 pm

thanks! :)

ive made hummus before but it was never enough to convince me not to buy my fav store bought :)

Danielle December 4, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Looks delicious!! Will be trying tomorrow!

Sana December 4, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I can’t eat too much hummus. I won’t have any friends if you know what I mean…

[email protected] Grains of Paradise December 4, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Congrats on advancing to round 9!
That hummus looks insane! I’m bookmarking this post!!
Aloha :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie December 5, 2010 at 1:06 am

Hummus is my drug. I make it all the time and almost ONLY eat it with carrots! Yum Yum Yum.

You’re so right that it IS seriously business.

Seglare December 5, 2010 at 2:11 am

My favorite hummus recipe is almost 100% identical with yours (the ingredients are all the same, but some of the amounts vary slightly) – and I’ll have to agree with you, it is so good! :) Since I found the recipe a few years ago, I haven’t bought hummus in the store once. I often use Sriracha instead of Tabasco, but as you say, it’s all a matter of taste.

Congratulations on making it to round 9 in the Project Food Blog challenge! I have been so impressed with all the hard work you have put in it, and can’t wait to see what you come up with this time. :)

Wei-Wei December 5, 2010 at 2:40 am

CONGRATS on the PFB – you’re amazing and I bet you’ll make it to the next round for sure ;) This hummus sounds amazing, by the way. I usually make mine from dried chickpeas… would there be any loss of flavour that way? I like to add more salt, but I never add garlic. I think I’ll try that this time around!

Lauren M. December 5, 2010 at 5:22 am

Just made it. It changed EVERYTHING. The end.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010 at 1:33 pm

yay!!!

Sarah December 5, 2010 at 6:43 am

Yum! I would be right there along with you, eating freshly made hummus, straight from the food processor.

tweal December 5, 2010 at 7:17 am

I am also a serious fan of Fontaine Sante hummus, and their baba ganoush. I do make my own hummus and dips which I like as much, but sometimes it’s so much easier to open a container than make my own. I’m glad you found a hummus that you love – it really is one of the perfect foods.

Melissa @ Vegan CacaoBee December 5, 2010 at 8:50 am

Congrats on Project Food Blog! So excited to see what’s in store for challenge #9. Good luck!

Sierra December 5, 2010 at 9:14 am

Oh. My. God. I made this hummus last night and it is incredible. I’m tyically not a hummus fan but after tasting this, it will be a staple in my fridge. Thanks for the recipe!

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie December 5, 2010 at 9:45 am

I love homemade hummus! You are right, it’s so personal. I always add extra EVOO and garlic.

Shawna December 5, 2010 at 9:57 am

You should post a healthy vegan potato/sweet potato LATKE recipe for all the jews celebrating Hanukkah this week. I can’t bring myself to fry them in a bunch of oil. What should I do?

Liz Collins December 5, 2010 at 10:41 am

I just received my new food processor and this is going to be my first use for it! It sounds amazing and I have a serious addiction to hummus. I can’t wait to try it! Thank you!

traci December 5, 2010 at 10:57 am

Oooooo :D Yummy can’t wait to get my hummus on :)

Amber K December 5, 2010 at 11:09 am

Ahh, maybe that has been my problem! I try to overcompensate when trying to adjust the taste of my homemade hummus. That’s why I still haven’t found one I truly love.

Moni'sMeals December 5, 2010 at 11:24 am

Lovely Hummus recipe, thanks!

No fear Angela! You are going to win the Profect Food Blog Challenge. :)

Halley (Blunder Construction) December 5, 2010 at 11:29 am

Mmmm, looks delicious! What to do if you wind up with too much hummus? (as if that is possible) Do you think it’s freezer friendly?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I was wondering this myself…anyone know?

you could also make a half batch too

AGS December 5, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I find that the more oil/tahina, the better it keeps in the freezer. More water translates to it breaking down when you later defrost it.

Melinda December 5, 2010 at 12:12 pm

The hummus looks really good. My step dad’s mom makes the best hummus ever, but I think this is because she is from Egypt, so it is supper authentic. She makes the best falafel too.

My shopping is done because Hanukkah is half way over already. It was not be a good thing if I did not have my presents in order.

gabriella @ embracement December 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Homemade hummus is so quick and easy and I love that you can change the whole flavor up with just one ingredient!

Hillary December 5, 2010 at 1:26 pm

1) Congratulations on PFB! You are awesome!
2) Do you know when you’ll have more holiday variety packs available? You were right, they sold out fast! I’d love to get some for Christmas this year!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010 at 9:59 am

I will have to see if I can get caught up first :) Not sure yet

Violetta Maria December 5, 2010 at 2:14 pm

That hummus looks amazing…… but not nearly as amazing as the glow bar holiday pack…. which was sold out when I went to buy it today at 1:15 (central). I want one more than anything, there isnt any chance you forgot about one and you wan to sell it to me :-) pleeeaassseee! Ps on a side note made the snicker doodels and brought them to work yeasterday where I am the only vegan and everyone loved them, I made 3 x the recipie and it was gone by noon. They were amazing, and they helped me show my work friends that being vegan doesn’t mean giving up all yummy food for ever! Your recipies are the best!!

[email protected] December 5, 2010 at 3:19 pm

that hummus looks amazing!!!

AGS December 5, 2010 at 3:37 pm

That’s almost exactly how I make hummus. I very much prefer making my own — and every time I make it, I think “I can’t believe how easy this is!” ;) Happy eating!

Natalia - a side of simple December 5, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Congratulations on advancing with Foodbuzz! You can already count on my vote ;)

Allison December 5, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I just made this recipe — it was awesome! I used some leftover bean and garlic mixture from your High Protein Mashed Potatoes I made yesterday (which were also awesome!), and it worked great. Just a suggestion for anyone else who ended up with too many beans!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 5, 2010 at 7:41 pm

thats a great idea!

Kirsten Nikol December 5, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I tried making your recipe for the humus that changed everything, and it was A-MA-ZING!!! me and my family had it with some toasted baguette slices :) even my dad, who hates humus, loved it!!! i want to save this recipe and have my friends try it too!! :) thank you so much for putting your cooking online for us to see!!

Celena December 6, 2010 at 12:11 am

Yum! I just made this and your multiseed crackers for snacks for the weeks, the spoonful I ate straight out of the processor was delicious :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 6, 2010 at 10:01 am

I only started really liking hummus about 5 months ago but now I can’t get enough – and it’s always home made!! I love the idea of putting Tabasco in! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm

yes the tabasco was really fun!

KellyJ December 6, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Are you really sold out of the Holiday Glo Bar Variety packs? It was only 2 days… :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm

yes so sorry! :( It sold out in 2-3 hours. If I get caught up I will be releasing more (but ill announce date/time on blog before doing so)

Ashley December 6, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Angela!! SO Glad you enjoyed The Coup! Awesome post, I will be voting for you :)

Jennie (in Wonderland) December 6, 2010 at 9:01 pm

My best tip for ultimate, authentic-tasting hummus is to make it in the blender, not the food processor. It takes a little extra work and a bit more chickpea water (usually about 1/4 cup) but it yields the most fantastically smooth and creamy hummus. Even my fiance loves it and he always pretends to hate healthy food, ha ha.

I just whipped up a batch of your recipe tonight and it’s fantastic! Like I said, I stuck it all in the blender and also added a bit more chickpea water plus two tablespoons of olive oil. It’s out of this world delicious!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan December 7, 2010 at 12:29 am

Leave it to Ina to design the perfect hummus…yum.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan December 7, 2010 at 12:29 am

Leave it to Ina to design the perfect hummus…yum.

Sarah April 11, 2012 at 6:33 am

I’m going to be catering for a yoga teacher training retreat this summer so I have been stocking up on hummus recipes! My favorite is to sub about 1/2 of the chickpeas with edamame, use lime instead of lemon, and sub out the tahini for macadamia nuts. You have to add a little more liquid, but it makes a really delicious hummus!
Another tip–I have a really crummy food processor–I just end up with chunky hummus :( so I started using my immersion blender. It works so well!

Courtney April 15, 2012 at 5:38 pm

OMG Hummus. That’s what this should be called…it’s so good!

Willow April 19, 2012 at 7:41 am

Mmm, love hummus! But, there’s a small flaw in your recipe. The part where you say it’ll last 4-5 days in the fridge… that jut isn’t true. Hummus doesn’t last one day around here! Nom! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 19, 2012 at 7:49 am

haha so true!

Chris Johnson April 19, 2012 at 12:30 pm

May I make one suggestion?

Do NOT use the liquid from the can – almost all can’s are lined with plastic – so that liquid that you are using is loaded with BPA.
Unless you buy your chickpeas from someone like Eden Foods, who uses a ceramic can liner, the liquid should always be drained – no exceptions.
BPA is one of the biggest hidden health hazards of the 20/21st century – it’s one of those substances that people in 50 years will be saying “What were the hell where they thinking using that stuff?!”

Melissa April 22, 2012 at 7:26 am

Hello! I love your website…Im working on transfering my family to a more natural way of life….LOVE your site. Stumbled upon it through pinterest and I looked at every single recipe you have! Even saved it to my favorites!

My question is- I have been looking for a recipe for a granola bar similar to your Holiday Glo bars that you aparently sold at christmas time. I wondered if you have posted a recipe for that somewhere and I just cant find it. I would love to make them. THanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2012 at 10:16 am

Hey Melissa! Thanks for your kind words about the blog. I dont have it posted but hope to post a couple glo bar recipes in my cookbook. Take care!

Jennifer June 12, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Wow. This is literally the best hummus I have ever had! I am currently dipping fresh cucumbers in it. YUM!

I would also like to add that I didn’t have any Tahini on hand but I did have some sesame seeds so I put a 1/4 cup of those in there instead as well as an extra clove of garlic (what can I say, I love garlic!).

Sharon June 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm

WOW! That is one incredible hummus! Thank you! I left off the olive oil and only used 1/8 tsp of salt.

Jon July 17, 2012 at 4:26 pm

After browsing your website for a few weeks I finally got around to trying one of your recipes…Amazing! This hummus is a game changer. Absolutely perfect!

Thank you Angela for your recipes and for the great stories that go into each one.

Annie July 18, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Just made this as forgot to buy hummus with my groceries today and omg, I will never buy hummus ever again. This recipe is so easy and the result is amazing, just how I like my hummus too! Thank you so much angela :)

Annie July 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Out of interest, I just put the nutritional info in my calculator too. It is SO much healthier than bought hummus (aka you can have double the amount :D)

Yansy July 25, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I am going to make this. I am so glad you took a photo of the ingredients, especially the tahini sauce. I was wondering what kind to buy. Your blog is really wonderful, thank you so much for sharing it!

Anne-Michelle Frances July 30, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Lemon juice in lieu of olive oil — never though of it, and I LOVE IT! And the Tabasco was the icing on the cake. I made this for my kids to eat throughout the day with their babysitters, and I ate almost all of it before leaving for work. Definitely my new favorite hummus!

Heidi August 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Yum!! I have tried several hummus recipes but this one is da bomb!! My sweet daughters are gobbling it up!

Cynthia September 10, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Made my FIRST hummus ever today! Thank you for the inspiration! With a title like “The Hummus that Changed Everything, even this lazy girl couldn’t resist trying! lol So easy, so much cheaper than store-bought & tastier, too! =)

Cynthia September 10, 2012 at 8:04 pm

*” and *, <—- Sorry, I'm a bit of a grammar nut!

Sue Walters September 16, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Wow! I made this tonight having found it on Pinterest and it’s amazing!! We love hummous and this will definitely save us some money. Thank you!

Theresa September 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Here it is

Cristy October 13, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Hi Angela! I made my (very first) hummus today using your recipe and I LOVE the taste! Thank you for the recipe. I sure will share it! :)

Stephanay November 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Sound syummy. I will try this because I love hummus.

Kate December 18, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I’m really picky when it comes to hummus, so I only ever eat it when I’m at my fav restaurant… Most of the super-market brands are either super heavy on tahini or spices (like cumin.) I like just plain with lemon and garlic (roasted,) and when I have the time I follow a recipe similar to this but simmer the canned chickpeas in water with a clove of garlic, then strain and puree the garlic (cooked and fresh) lemon juice, and tahini together, and then the chickpeas, which I found results in a really creamy texture without skinning them first.

lana357 December 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I made my own hummus a week ago for the first time, using a similar recipe. And, just like you, I’m pretty sure I won’t go back to store-bought again! Who knew that something so simple could be so superior when created at home?

Joanne January 22, 2013 at 4:23 pm

This is, indeed, the hummus that changed everything. I’ve been making my own hummus for a year now using a “pretty good” recipe that I found online….but it just never quite had the taste of the yummy storebought ones. After trying this recipe…. “EUREKA! I’ve found it!” More tahini and more lemon! (and I’m sure the Tabasco helps….I’ve been using the green one which has a little less kick and is perfect for us). Thank you also to the peeps who wrote about removing the skins for a smoother texture! I think it really does make a difference. I’m hooked!

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 31, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Yess! I love the lemon, I add tons of lemon :)
Coupla years ago when I was transitioning from being vegetarian to being vegan [after finding out about the horrors of factory farming] I was really clueless as to what to snack on. Hummus saved the day! Perfect haha

Rebecca March 18, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I just made this recipe, and I will never be buying hummus from the store again! I was on a chickpea and tahini kick tonight because I made your Buddha Bowl with the Lightened Up Lemon Tahini sauce and had cooked up way too many chickpeas (I still have some in the fridge). I used my blender for this, and the texture came out just perfect. I did add some cumin, and crushed red chili peppers, but I like it hot. =P This will be so good on my salads and wraps! On a side note, it was fantastic straight from the blender as well!

Valium April 24, 2013 at 4:44 am

Your write-up has proven useful to us. It’s extremely informative and you’re clearly really knowledgeable in this area. You possess popped my sight in order to various opinion of this particular subject matter using interesting and reliable content material.

paula porter May 3, 2013 at 6:59 am

It is 7:50am and my girls (3.5y and 21m) are gathered around a bowl eating carrots and this delicious hummus!!!

Krystyna May 28, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Hi,
I’ve been going through so many of your previous posts, having just discovered your website a couple weeks ago. AMAZING!!!
I grew up in Canada, absolutely ate my weight twice over in Fontaine Sante hummus and veg pate. Now that I’ve moved to New Zealand, I’m saddened to say, the hummus is just not up to Fontaine Sante standard. I’m hoping you can help me:
– How would you modify this recipe to mimic the Fontaine Sante “vegetable” flavored hummus — it’s got a green label.
– How would you go about making one of their famous vege pates???
Thanks so much for the amazing recipes. :)

Sher June 9, 2013 at 8:16 pm

First recipe that I’ve tried from your blog (but it certainly will NOT be the last…I think I want to try everything you’ve posted!)…This was amazing, even though I forgot the garlic! (I’ll *have* to add it before I sit down to dinner with my veggies, hummus and wine.) I also made the chickpeas from scratch – what an amazing difference in flavor! Your recipes are the best form of encouragement. Thanks!

Allyson July 5, 2013 at 9:31 am

I loved the addition of the tahini but found this to be way too much lemon. Did you mean 7-8 teaspoons? Thanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 5, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Sorry Allyson, I did mean tablespoons but I probably should have called it LEMONY hummus to emphasize how lemony it is. Thanks for your feedback!

Carole July 11, 2013 at 11:34 am

I buy dried chick peas and soak in water – does this mean that i would cook them first to make this hummus?
your thoughts would be helpful
cheers
Carole

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2013 at 9:49 am

Yes cook them before making the hummus – enjoy!

Moms_GoingGreen July 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm

By far my favorite Hummus recipe. Eager to try your red pepper and edamame hummus recipes next! Also have to share this great find on my Pinterest to Vegan Food board.

Yvonne August 31, 2013 at 11:18 am

Tip: Not all Tahini is made equal. Different brands changed the flavor of my hummus. If someone out there finds they don’t like hummus it’s probably the tahini that was added.

Raina September 12, 2013 at 4:59 am

Hi, please help!
I make homemade hummus and every time it goes bad by the third day. It starts getting a little fizzy and there are air pockets in it and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I soak the beans overnight, boil them, then blend the usual suspects for a delicious hummus. I put it in a tupperware container and refrigerate. I get two days of normal hummus then, hmm, this doesnt seem quite right Honey.

alissa October 10, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Best hummus. Ever.

AR Fan January 27, 2014 at 4:15 pm

The recipe name says it all for me, too! I’ve tried so many hummus recipes but never found one that just ‘hit the spot’ until I made this one. Now, it’s my favorite hummus! Ceamy lusciousness on bread with slices of tomato and avocado… Mmm, good!!! Thanks so much, Angela, for passing on the perfect hummus recipe!!!

Fran January 31, 2014 at 9:24 am

Thanks for the recipe … I tried it and LOVED it. I also skinned each chickpea before tossing in the food processor to achieve a super smooth hummus texture. It was a little time consuming, but it only took 15 minutes and made a noticeable difference. If squeezed just right, the chickpea slides right out of the skin. This was yum!!

John May 14, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I had previously given up on making my own hummus, but after finishing off my hummus for the week in 4 days (at a price of $5.99), I decided I had to give it another try. I must say, this was without a doubt the best hummus I’ve ever tasted. This is coming from someone who has been to the Middle East several times and frequents Middle Eastern restaurants regularly. Hummus is of course in the eye of beholder, and there are so many different recipes with different consistencies and flavors, but I just love this one. It is on the thicker side, and the store-brand hummus it reminds me of the most, both in flavor and texture/consistency, is Athenos original hummus.

Anyways, I highly recommend this recipe, and I enjoy your blog a lot, keep up the great work!

Scarlett May 20, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I made this tonight and it is DELICIOUS.

Jessica Fig August 6, 2014 at 6:02 pm

This is my new go-to hummus recipe! I have made it a few times with different variations. Today I did half white (cannellini) beans and half chickpeas. Last time I removed most of the chickpea skins, but this time I did not. Both times it yielded a very smooth hummus so I am not sure if skinning the chickpeas is completely worth the time. I love dipping raw veggies or crackers in this hummus – SO GOOD :) I have also been having mixed greens salads with lots of fresh veggies, quinoa, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a dollop of this hummus on the side. Thank you for another great recipe!

Susan August 16, 2014 at 6:22 am

I love this hummus. I had hoped to use it for lunches this week but the first batch has gone already! Need to make another one.
Thanks

Deborah H August 21, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I love this hummus! What really makes it taste special to me is that you left out the cumin and so the clean fresh taste of the hummus can shine :) I also made a batch of your spiced pita chips (from the OSG cookbook)… AMAZING! I think that I heard angels sing when I took my first bite!!!

Tamara September 17, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I’ve made hummus for years but as easy as it is to make, I’ve never been happy with my “recipe”, no matter how much I doctored it up. Who knew that the trick for me, anyway, was to leave out the cumin and add some hot sauce? I tried this tonight and I didn’t have any hot sauce in the house but I used siracha and it came out great! Thank you so much!

Ali Morris November 5, 2014 at 7:48 pm

This really is the hummus that changed everything. I thought I hated hummus until I tried this recipe. Store bought hummus is bland and awful, this is pure magic. Thank you :)
p.s I love hummus

sarah November 16, 2014 at 3:46 pm

This was amazing hummus – have made it twice now. I didn’t even add the salt this time and it was still amazing. Will be making over and over. Thank you!!

Karrie December 10, 2014 at 1:46 pm

OK, I just *finally* got around to trying this recipe and WOW! I think it is better than Fontaine Sante!! Thank you so much!!

Sandy July 21, 2015 at 8:57 am

Hey just thought I’d add that as I was missing tobacso, I used plenty more of a Trinidad hotsauce, left the shells, 7 tbsp of lemon is enough and ITS AWESOME
Thanks so much!

Taylor DiFonzo September 7, 2015 at 4:39 pm

I’m 17 and I am trying to make a slow transition into going vegan. I made this hummus and some homemade pita bread today and it was soooo good! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It only took like 7 minutes to make :D

Suzan Vasica December 27, 2015 at 1:17 am

Is 7 to 8 “tbsp” of lemon juice a typo? I made this hummus and omg that’s lie not far off 1 cup lemon juice. It was so sour I had to add some agave to make it edible. Was still quite lemony but was easy to eat. Was quite nice after that. When I me this again I think I’ll greatly reduce the lemon

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 30, 2015 at 11:30 am

Hi Suzan, 1 cup has 16 tablespoons in it so 7-8 is much less. :) Hope you didn’t use a full cup – yes that would be tart!

Suzan Vasica December 30, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Angela I actually counted 8 tablespoons of juice into a measuring cup and it was not far off one cup. I think the US Standard measurements compared to Australian standard measurements made mine so much more. Our 1 tablespoon is 20ml and 1 cup is 250ml. Yes I did put it all in lmao. When I asked my sis she said just put it in hahaha. But all ended up well. We added some Agave to take much of the tartness away so was tangy but quite nice. I made it again today for New Years Eve, and this time just used the juice of 2 lemons lol. Still may add more next time jaut not as much as first time Its a yummy recipe and I haven’t bothered looking up any others

Gauri January 27, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Perfect taste!

Laura April 30, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I think the recipe means 7-8 tsp lemon juice vice Tbsp. Ours is runny and very lemon-flavored! :)

Sheebu May 1, 2016 at 4:56 am

Oh my god I love hummus so much,and this would save me so much of money! So simple and easy! Thank you for sharing!

Lucy May 8, 2016 at 11:43 am

This is delicious. First recipe I’ve made of yours and it’s great. I found it a little too much tahini for my taste though, so going to try less next time. I bought some ready made stuff in case I mucked it up, but I wish I hadn’t bothered, it is awesome! Thank you! :D x

Angela Liddon May 9, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Aw, I’m so glad the recipe was a hit, Lucy! I hope you enjoy whatever recipe you try next just as well. Happy cooking! :)

Edi May 26, 2016 at 5:50 pm

I love hummus so much! I used this recipe and omitted oil. So good!

Risa June 16, 2016 at 4:12 am

I MADE THIS!!!!! and i loved it so so much!!!! thank you!! ! It was so pretty w the paprika on top too.

Angela Liddon June 16, 2016 at 7:25 am

So glad you enjoyed it, Risa!

Leanne February 25, 2017 at 7:08 pm

OMG! I was searching for “better than LaFontaine hummus” and guess what I found! Made it exactly and it was FAB!! Love all the comments for future variations! Thanks!! Super DELICIOUS!

Angela Liddon February 27, 2017 at 11:59 am

Glad you’re enjoying it, Leanne! Have fun experimenting with those variations, too.

Jon May 18, 2017 at 5:53 pm

This hummus recipe is fantastic! Thanks! One idea that I came across recently for making the hummus a little creamer and blending the flavors even better is to add just the tahini and lemon juice to the food processor and process till smooth and creamy. I stop the processor and scrape the sides and then blend again to make sure it is really smooth. Then add the rest of the ingredients. That is how I made this version and it turned out great!

Angela Liddon May 19, 2017 at 8:38 am

Thanks for sharing, Jon!

margaret ruskiewicz June 13, 2017 at 7:45 pm

I’ll have to try this again with half the lemon. I made it with freshly juiced-juicer style lemons, not squeezed, and man it knocked my socks off! I tried masking it with some cumin. I had it in the food processor, then transferred it to the vitamix that instantly made is smooth as silk :)

Janet July 21, 2017 at 1:53 pm

Do you find it best to remove the “skin” from each chickpea?

Angela Liddon July 28, 2017 at 1:35 pm

I’ve done this before, and it definitely results in a smoother hummus. However, it’s quite time-consuming so I don’t do it very often. :) Apparently if you have a Vitamix it makes really smooth hummus (I have yet to try it though!).

Doreen September 28, 2017 at 12:39 pm

It is perfect… with some extra garlic :P

ralph November 5, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for sharing this. Have been trying hummus recipes for months looking for something that is as good as you get at a middle eastern restaurant. Nothing has come close until now. Not only is this as good as any I’ve had I would say even better.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 6, 2017 at 7:11 am

So happy to hear this Ralph! Happy hummus eating ;)

Annie January 31, 2018 at 12:12 pm

I tried this today,and it was fabulous,my husband just loved it, definitely wort saving.Thanks for sharing, Blessings.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2018 at 6:13 am

Hey Annie, I’m so happy you loved it so much! Thank you for trying it out. :)