Christmas In Alberta

Hi everyone!

Thank you for your kind words about my Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Rolls entry for Challenge #8! The post was in the works for about 3 weeks now and I was soooo happy to finally hit publish. Voting is now open if you care to show your support. They are cutting 50% of contestants, so only 12 will remain for round #9.

20101129-IMG_3889

What’s with all this snow, you ask?

Eric and I are in Alberta visiting my family for an early Christmas celebration!

20101128-IMG_3717

We leave on Wednesday and I am already very sad to say goodbye to my family. I’m pretty sure I am going to stuff my nephews in my suitcase and make a run for it. ;)

We were a bit scared during the days leading up to our trip out West because we heard that there was a deep freeze going down in the Prairies…

20101127-IMG_3587

Burrrrrr.

Luckily, OSGMOM told us that it would be ‘warming up’ to –10C by the time we arrived.

Err… ;)

20101129-IMG_4102

I need layers…lots and lots of layers.

I have also been drinking my body weight in hot chocolate and tea.

20101127-IMG_3555

Luckily, fur ball Rudi has been keeping us warm…

20101127-IMG_3549-2

He is never cold!

Well, sometimes…when he wants to snuggle up to The Cat Whisperer (Eric).

20101128-IMG_3635

I hope Sketchie doesn’t see this!

20101128-IMG_3627

They have a view of The Rockies from their backyard. I guess this makes up for the cold! :)

20101129-IMG_3844

Gorgeous, eh?

20101129-IMG_3856

My mom and sister Kristi surprised us with a mostly vegan Christmas dinner on Sunday night.

20101128-IMG_3678

It was very exciting.

I came into the kitchen to find that they were working hard on a bunch of my recipes!

20101128-IMG_3646

Remember that crazy night?

This time I got to have it made for me!

20101127-IMG_3595

Mom said, ‘I hope you will still love me if I screw up these recipes!!’

I said, “I don’t care what you do as long as I don’t have to cook!’ ;)

20101128-IMG_3694

I had total faith in my worker bees.

I kept them in line with a spoon!

20101128-IMG_3697

I got to make the vegan gravy and then I forgot about it on the burner and nearly fried it! Just a day in the life…

20101128-IMG_3707 20101128-IMG_3713

20101128-IMG_3743

20101128-IMG_3840

20101128-IMG_3764

20101128-IMG_3756

The non-vegans had stuffed chicken and myself and my friend Ashley had In A Jiffy spelt veggie patties.

20101128-IMG_3769 20101128-IMG_3774

They were awesome in a roll with vegan gravy! It was a great idea to make for the vegan protein portion.

High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes:

20101128-IMG_3771

I also brought along Soft Peanut Butter Cookies for my nephews and the rest of my family. They were a huge hit!

20101128-IMG_3644

20101128-IMG_3660 20101128-IMG_3661

20101128-IMG_3659

20101128-IMG_3673

Mmmm, I filled my plate and was one happy vegan!

20101128-IMG_3794

I had a whole wheat dinner roll with vegan butter, peas, butternut squash, This Ain’t Grandmas Sweet Potato Casserole, High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes, In A Jiffy Veggie Spelt patties, vegan gravy, and Cranberry, Pear, and Pecan Spinach Salad.

20101128-IMG_3715

For dessert, my mom made my Pumpkin Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream!! Gosh I love this dessert.

20101128-IMG_3805

And some non-vegan layered cake!

20101128-IMG_3806

The boys watched the Grey Cup football…

20101128-IMG_3780

The ladies did not. :)

Then we exchanged gifts with Kristi and the family. I got some amazing pictures of my nephews, a new apron, a holiday table runner, and artwork from my oldest nephew. :)

20101128-IMG_3828b 20101128-IMG_3839

I told my nephew that my fridge was covered in his artwork, but I was going to add all of the new drawings to it too, and his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree and he said, ‘REALLY???’

Then Papa and mammoth Kinder Eggs stole the show and that was that!

20101128-IMG_3824

Well, we are off for another day of adventures. See you later!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 30, 2010

Holy snow! This makes me so excited for Christmas. You and your sis are so beautiful too.

Christina November 30, 2010

Looks like you are having a beautiful time with your family! Enjoy every moment of down time ♥

Allison @ Food for Healing November 30, 2010

ah yes that cold spell was horrible! glad you were able to miss it. Saskatchewan had it just as bad, and it is definitely much warmer this week -10C is warm believe it or not haha
you should tough it out more and visit the prairies more often, they are truly beautiful, Saskatoon in the winter is pretty amazing by the river.
Have you been? hit me up if you do stop by!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) November 30, 2010

Your pumpkin gingerbread will be making an appearance at my Christmas as well :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg November 30, 2010

Wow– this is such a cozy holiday post!!! Beautiful pictures, as always…and I LOVE the cat! :-)

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie November 30, 2010

That cat picture with Eric is so adorable! I am sure Sketchie would *not* approve. Have fun playing in the snow!

Bethany @ More Fruit Please November 30, 2010

This post really warmed my heart and even made me tear up a bit just from missing my own family. I can’t wait to get back home to them in a few weeks now! It’s clear where you get your hostess and presentation skills from… your mom’s house is beautiful! And I love the Beatrix Potter dishes… that would be something that my mom would set out for the children too!

Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside November 30, 2010

Awww, what a gorgeous early Christmas celebration… Glad you got to be with your faraway relatives. I’ve NEVER had a white Christmas! Growing up in South Carolina and now living in Los Angeles- it rarely drop below 40 degrees F, in fact. I guess there are pluses and minuses to both situations ;)

Sabrina November 30, 2010

so amazing! i wish u were staying longer with them your family is sooo beautiful. You must miss them sooo much and you all look so happy and warm there. I hope you have a wonderful time you deserve it and can I say that your cinnamon bun post has got my vote and has got to win you just blow the competion out of the water over and over again.
BTW those kinder eggs are just the next size up from the small ones in italy where I live they go up three sizes from that to a truely massive massive egg ;)

Peace,
Sabrina.

OSGMOM November 30, 2010

My first Vegan dinner was a success & delicious – yeah! Thanks to my Assistants in the kitchen, Kristi & Eric. I couldn’t have pulled it together without you! Thanks to my clean up crew, Peter and John :)

Ashley November 30, 2010

It was AWESOME :) You can cook for this Vegan-food-aholic anyday!!

OSGMOM November 30, 2010

I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed the meal! We’ll have to get together again for another Vegan meal and try out a few more of Ange’s recipes.

Kayla November 30, 2010

I LOVE Kinder schokolade! It reminds me of my Oma, who used to give us bunte teller at Christmastime — colorful plates (the literal German translation) filled with nuts, chocolates and other German candies (including Kinder products once in a blue moon) and the requisite orange and apple. :)

Looks like you’re having a blast. Enjoy!

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious November 30, 2010

voted!! sometimes food tastes better when prepared for you…especially by your mom.

Amanda (Eating Up) November 30, 2010

Ah it all looks beautiful–the inside and outside! What a great view!

Shelby November 30, 2010

I’m so glad you are enjoying time with family!
That all looks great!!!!!
And is that cat a Ragdoll??? It is absolutely beautiful…I have Ragdolls and it looks a lot like one :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2010

Yes Rudi is a ragdoll :) Sweetest cat ever

Heather November 30, 2010

Great post! I am originally from Alberta and this post has me excited to go home for my early Christmas as well!!

Meredith November 30, 2010

aww this post made me teary! I miss the frigid prairies! The mountains — my heart melts. Hope you guys make time for some skiing!

JenATX November 30, 2010

that first picture is beautiful… it belongs on a christmas card! i’m so glad you got to spend quality time with the family :) your nephews sound adorable.. way to be a “cool” aunt w/ the cookies haha

Lisa November 30, 2010

I love the snow photos!! What a gorgeous Winter Wonderland!

Tiffany November 30, 2010

Looks like you are having fun and the food looks great!

Faith @ lovelyascharged November 30, 2010

Ah, what a fun early Christmas! I thought my family was jumping the gun doing our presents on Christmas Eve @ Midnight because we never could wait till morning ;) And hey, who knows, maybe fried gravy is the next big thing!?!?

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 30, 2010

I love the Beatrix Potter dishes — makes me wish I had a collection of my own!

Alaina November 30, 2010

I love that cat!!! And that view :-)

Melissa @ I Never Imagined November 30, 2010

Ohhh what a lovely time for you and your family! And how sweet of them to cook a mostly vegan meal! Sounds like my dream!

Sierra November 30, 2010

You and your sister’s skin is gorgeous! I notice in every picture of you that your skin glows. Makes me jealous! :) Do you have a recipe for vegan gravy? I tried to make it for Thanksgiving and mine didn’t turn out so great. :(

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2010

thank you!

Yes there is a recipe I adapted from ED&BV cookbook. I included it on my thanksgiving recipes PDF from the original post. :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? November 30, 2010

Alberta in the winter is crazy! The weather is just all over the place.

That view is incredible though! Just wow!

Jen @ Spacks Scramble November 30, 2010

Yay Alberta! That’s where I’m from! Good thing you missed that deep freeze that we had. I was wearing legwarmers and long johns everyday!

The vegan Christmas dinner looks delish. I definitely need to try out some of those recipes.

Jessica M November 30, 2010

Looks like you guys are having fun! I am so excited to go home and see my family now!

I wanted to tell you that you practically planned my whole Thanksgiving meal! I made your pull apart rolls, the vegan gravy, the HP mashed potatoes, the spice cake, and the walnut loaf. It was all so wonderful! You’re right, the vegan gravy is AMAAAZZING!!! My non-vegan husband even loved it. Thanks for the recipes!! : )

Stella November 30, 2010

Glad you’re enjoying our famous early christmas weather in Alberta! Your pictures have me lusting after christmas dinner already!!

p.s. The view of the rockies gets very old once it hits -40, nothing makes up for that!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2010

haha I can imagine!

Nienke at Revel November 30, 2010

Oh my word – the view of the Rockies is incredible!

So glad you get to spend some quality time with the fam, cause that’s what it’s all about, right :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 30, 2010

OMG you’re reminding me of when I grew up in Edmonton SO much right now! Looks like you’re having a fabulous time. Your family are awesome for preparing so many vegan recipes for you, especially the gingerbread cake with buttercream frosting. That was one of my favourites at Thanksgiving! Stay warm! :D

Balanced Healthy Life November 30, 2010

Those are some cold cold temps! Reminds me of when I used to live in Minnesota!!!

Leanne November 30, 2010

Where in Alberta are you?

I live in Alberta (yay!) and although its cold & we have snow from October – May (& sometimes in June!) I absolutely love living here and think it’s such a beautiful province. It made me so happy to see Alberta pictures in your blog this morning!

melissa @ the delicate place November 30, 2010

that snow is beyond! i love looking at it but i hate being cold so much that the idea of a tropical christmas sounds appealing to me haha. what a thoughtful feast your family prepared! enjoy each and every moment x

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete November 30, 2010

I have to say, that icing is wonderful! I make it for my in-laws about a month ago, and they said it was better than nonvegan icing!! Yay!

Glad you guys had fun! That tablescape is beautiful. ;)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 30, 2010

Such a sweet post – It’s so much fun to spend time with family this time of the year. I’m so glad you’re having a great time!

traci November 30, 2010

I’m glad you have a great visit with your family :) Beautiful fun pictures !

Vicky @ eat live spin November 30, 2010

Love the pictures. Question… are there vegetarian marshmallows???

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2010

Yes there are, but my mom made two versions- one with non vegan marsh. and one vegan without. I use DANDIES brand of vegan marsh. and they are incredible!!!

Krystina (Basil & Wine) November 30, 2010

You made me SO excited for Christmas! What fun! :D

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 30, 2010

How awesome that they cooked for you!!! And -10C is warming up? I so could never live in Canada.

Shanna November 30, 2010

What a happy gorgeous family you have! Amazing =)

Page 1 of 3123»