Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

20101126IMG 3500 thumb   Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

I don’t get to see my two nephews in Alberta nearly enough. Having family live far away is difficult at times, especially when you have to watch your precious nephews grow up without being able to see them whenever you want to.

Or I talk to them on the phone and I miss them even more…

Yesterday our phone conversation went a little something like this:

‘Auntie Angie, when are you coming to visit us?’

‘Saturday. Only 2 more sleeps!’

‘Are you going to give me lots of hugs and kisses?’

‘I sure am! and tickles too…’

(giggles)

‘Are you bringing any treats, Auntie Angie?’ (devious giggles)

‘You’ll have to see on Saturday…’

‘Bye.’

[The quick and unexpected departures on the phone are always funny.]

One year, I made the mistake of giving my oldest nephew clothing for Christmas. I was not a cool Aunt at all, and to make up for it, I made copious amounts of Glo Bars during my stay.

For this trip, I decided to bring my nephews Glo Bars (which they go nuts over) and cookies. I shall reclaim my cool Aunt status and not let them down.

Uncle Eric will be cool by association.

20101126IMG 3537 thumb   Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

20101126IMG 3502 thumb   Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

Gather the wet ingredients: PB, maple syrup, and vanilla.

20101126IMG 3479 thumb   Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

Note: there should also be 1/4 cup of almond milk mixed in with the wet. This was something I added in later, but I would mix it in with the above ingredients if I made them again.

Mix.

20101126IMG 3486 thumb   Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

Gather dry ingredients: Spelt flour, baking soda, salt.

20101126IMG 3481 thumb   Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and then add into the wet and stir with a big spoon. The batter will be very thick and sticky.

20101126IMG 3488 thumb   Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

Now, you can either refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes or if you are impatient (ME) and fighting daylight for photography (ME), you can simply wet your fingers and shape the balls that way. If the dough sticks to your hands make sure to keep wetting them.

Same goes for the fork. Keep it wet and you will be fine.

20101126IMG 34912 thumb   Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

Sprinkle with turbinado sugar and kosher salt and bake for 11 minutes at 350F. I baked 12 cookies at a time. This recipe makes about 26 cookies.

Cool for 5 minutes.

20101126IMG 3516 thumb   Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

Easy as that!

20101126IMG 3517 thumb   Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

Mmmmm.

20101126IMG 35302 thumb   Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

If you are a crunchy peanut butter cookie fan, this probably isn’t your recipe because these cookies are quite soft. Any ideas on how to get them really firm and crunchy (aside from cooking them longer)?

20101126IMG 3525 thumb   Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

All wrapped up and put in my suitcase for my nephews. :)

20101126IMG 3514 thumb   Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

4am wake-up call tomorrow…Better get to sleep!

Camille November 26, 2010

Bahaha, I love that Eric is cool by association.
Everyone knows that my boyfriend is just cool by association too :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2010

lol…well the truth is, Uncle Eric is cool b/c he is a 6’2″ BOY and can swing my nephews all over the place. He is basically a portable jungle gym.

Nicole (Picky Nicky) November 26, 2010

Mmm, I love anything with peanut butter! As a matter of fact, I had a peanut butter, mustard and sweet potato wrap for dinner – Delicious combo, by the way!
I’ve heard that to make peanut butter cookies crunchier, you should add more “Egg” and flour.
Have a great weekend,
Nicky :) :)

Stacie November 26, 2010

Now that’s my kind of cookie! Have fun and travel safe :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day November 26, 2010

So cute. I want an Auntie Angie to make me treats. :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 26, 2010

Angela these look amazing!!!!

Your nephews are beyond lucky!! YUM!!!!

When I was a kid no one gave me PB cookies…they gave me boring sweaters and mittens. I would have much preferred cookies!

Have a safe, wonderful trip!!!

Ashley November 26, 2010

These would totally win me over!! I love how thick they look and soft PB cookies sound good to me!! :) Safe travels and have fun w/the family. <3

Bronwyn Coyne November 26, 2010

And yet one more recipe to add to my growing list of recipes to try…

Ashley November 26, 2010

Those look delicious. Peanut Butter is my favorite. I’m sure you will definitely climb back to cool Aunt status with these.

Wei-Wei November 26, 2010

I like soft cookies better! Maybe add more flour and less baking soda/peanut butter to yield a crispier cookie?

Lynna November 26, 2010

I love all the cookie recipes you’re posting. Christmas baking will have to start soon!

As for your questions about cookie texture, I think adding liquid (almond milk) to the batter is what made them soft. I attempted to make a healthier oatmeal cookie one time and added some almond milk to the batter; they turned out pretty soft and not really ‘cookie-like’ in texture. I also realized that most traditional cookie recipes don’t have a liquid, so I think that could be the reason.

The Yoga Girl November 26, 2010

These cookies look amazing! Can’t wait to try them.

From my memory, brown sugar (or sucanat for a slightly healthier version) should yield a crunchier cookie. I was actually looking for the ingredient in your recipe as I thought that was a common ingredient with PB cookies!

Hope this helps & let us know how any modifications turn out! Safe Travels!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen November 26, 2010

Ohh – these will definitely restore cool aunt status. PRONTO. they look awesome!

Jaclyn T November 26, 2010

YUmmmmmmY!

Have you heard of the breakfast cereal “Holy Crap?” It’s a majah phenomenon since the business was shown on the CBC show “Dragon’s Den.” I looked into buying some (6-8 week wait right now), and realized I could totally make my own! Maybe this would be a fun breakfast item for you to try to make (humble idea). ALSO, have you thought of taking Glo Bakery to “Dragon’s Den?”

Leah @ Why Deprive? November 26, 2010

lol I LOVE that Uncle Eric is cool by association! :)

Those cookies look fantastic. Next to oatmeal, peanut butter has always been my favorite type of cookie.

Kaleigh November 26, 2010

I was just wondering what type of peanut butter you used? I know this might sound silly, but there are soo many different types/brands to choose from. I assume it was an all-natural (i.e. just peanuts) kind? (and not the “Extra” Creamy Kraft Peanut butter….)

I just ask, because every time i try and make peanut butter cookies, they always turn out a little wrong (ok, a lot wrong).

Thanks!

Julie November 27, 2010

Hi kaleigh, I would assume an all natural peanut butter. I have a costco brand (kirkland) but theres plenty of other brands out there w peanuts as the only ingredient.
Hope I helped!

Faith @ lovelyascharged November 27, 2010

Maranatha makes a wonderful natural creamy peanut butter, as does Publix’s house brand!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2010

it was all natural smooth (and very oily as it was brand new)

Georgie @ Georgie Goes Healthy November 26, 2010

YUM. Peanut Butter is definitely one of my very biggest weaknesses. I just love it. These cookies look soo good!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 26, 2010

Peanut butter cookies ohh my goodness. I’m kind of wishing there were some in the oven right now..

Gina November 26, 2010

Oh my goodness, you’ve done it again.
I’m drooling all over my keyboard…
I wish I got these as a gift from my aunt!

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) November 27, 2010

Yum! Your nephews are lucky to have you bake for them. I also love that Eric is cool by association haha.

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat November 27, 2010

You’d definitely would be a cool aunt in my book! Love the recipe–simple and just my style!

Amanda November 27, 2010

Mmmmmmm cookies…..

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 27, 2010

The ribbon looks so pretty around the cookies :-)

Chelsea November 27, 2010

Have fun with the kiddos! Nieces and nephews are definately the best! and make sure to pack warm clothes, its supposed to get cold this week!!!!

kt November 27, 2010

Your pictures are always so gorgeous. I also love how you dress up your goodies for photos!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 27, 2010

Those look so yummy! And since I’m definitely a soft-cookie girl, they would be perfect for me! :D

Monday Baker November 27, 2010

Delicious recipes and beautiful photos! Love your blog :)

grocery goddess jen November 27, 2010

Mmm, those look good, but I have no idea how to get them crunchy :)

Lisa November 27, 2010

My favorite peanut butter cookie recipe. I’ve been using that recipe for a while now and nothing beats it! Have a wonderful trip!

Liana @ femme fraiche November 27, 2010

There is NO better present to receive as a child than something with peanut butter in it! (that, or a Barbie mansion…) We have an aunt just like you, and we still beg her to make her famous TS (Teta Sylvia) soup:) (Teta is aunt in Lithuanian)

Lindsey November 27, 2010

I know exactly how you feel! My niece and family are in Winnipeg so it’s not really close enough to just pop by and phone calls now that she is learning to talk almost always make me laugh/cry. Have fun in Alberta! Maybe you could make a pit stop in Edmonton to drop off some extra cookies : )

Meagan November 27, 2010

Do you use all natural peanut butter (as in ingredients = peanuts) or peanut butter with salt and sugar added? Also, do you think these could be frozen and thawed and still be ok?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 27, 2010

Haha your nephews sound so cute! I’m sure these will definitely give you cool aunt status. ;)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 27, 2010

Love peanut butter cookies so much. They are my favorite cookie!

Amber K November 27, 2010

There are people that actually like crunchy cookies? Not me! ;)

Aw, phone calls with my nieces and nephews are pretty much like that! Random questions, barely enough time to answer them, and then a “bye!” that comes out of nowhere.

Alaina November 27, 2010

Yum, I love peanut butter cookies! My mom makes the best peanut butter oatmeal cookies. :-P

Shanna, like Banana November 27, 2010

Mmm, maple in them? Yes!

Enjoy! I don’t get to see my niece and nephew frequently either and it breaks my heart!

Violet Toop November 27, 2010

I use lots of natural nut butters, and tahinni. When I open a new jar, I transfer it all into a food processor and process until it is smooth and creamy. Then I spoon it back into the jar and keep it in the fridge. I used to try stirring it, but the oil always slopped over the side of the jar. And I always hated how the stuff at the bottom stayed dry. No more!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2010

cool idea!

Meagan November 27, 2010

Forgot to mention that I would love a healthy recipe for peanut butter fudge and a peanut butter roll – my two favorite desserts ever!

P.S. I love your blog and really appreciate all the hard work you put into it!

Diana November 27, 2010

Nice work Ange! Your cookies look awesome! You’re totally the cool Aunt! :)

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious November 27, 2010

fabulous recipe! have fun with your fam.

Page 1 of 212»