Auntie Angie’s Soft Peanut Butter Cookies

20101126-IMG_3500

I don’t get to see my two nephews in Alberta nearly enough. Having family live far away is difficult at times, especially when you have to watch your precious nephews grow up without being able to see them whenever you want to.

Or I talk to them on the phone and I miss them even more…

Yesterday our phone conversation went a little something like this:

‘Auntie Angie, when are you coming to visit us?’

‘Saturday. Only 2 more sleeps!’

‘Are you going to give me lots of hugs and kisses?’

‘I sure am! and tickles too…’

(giggles)

‘Are you bringing any treats, Auntie Angie?’ (devious giggles)

‘You’ll have to see on Saturday…’

‘Bye.’

[The quick and unexpected departures on the phone are always funny.]

One year, I made the mistake of giving my oldest nephew clothing for Christmas. I was not a cool Aunt at all, and to make up for it, I made copious amounts of Glo Bars during my stay.

For this trip, I decided to bring my nephews Glo Bars (which they go nuts over) and cookies. I shall reclaim my cool Aunt status and not let them down.

Uncle Eric will be cool by association.

20101126-IMG_3537

20101126-IMG_3502

Gather the wet ingredients: PB, maple syrup, and vanilla.

20101126-IMG_3479

Note: there should also be 1/4 cup of almond milk mixed in with the wet. This was something I added in later, but I would mix it in with the above ingredients if I made them again.

Mix.

20101126-IMG_3486

Gather dry ingredients: Spelt flour, baking soda, salt.

20101126-IMG_3481

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and then add into the wet and stir with a big spoon. The batter will be very thick and sticky.

20101126-IMG_3488

Now, you can either refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes or if you are impatient (ME) and fighting daylight for photography (ME), you can simply wet your fingers and shape the balls that way. If the dough sticks to your hands make sure to keep wetting them.

Same goes for the fork. Keep it wet and you will be fine.

20101126-IMG_3491 (2)

Sprinkle with turbinado sugar and kosher salt and bake for 11 minutes at 350F. I baked 12 cookies at a time. This recipe makes about 26 cookies.

Cool for 5 minutes.

20101126-IMG_3516

Easy as that!

20101126-IMG_3517

Mmmmm.

20101126-IMG_3530 (2)

If you are a crunchy peanut butter cookie fan, this probably isn’t your recipe because these cookies are quite soft. Any ideas on how to get them really firm and crunchy (aside from cooking them longer)?

20101126-IMG_3525

All wrapped up and put in my suitcase for my nephews. :)

20101126-IMG_3514

4am wake-up call tomorrow…Better get to sleep!

1 Camille November 26, 2010

Bahaha, I love that Eric is cool by association.
Everyone knows that my boyfriend is just cool by association too :)

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2010

lol…well the truth is, Uncle Eric is cool b/c he is a 6’2″ BOY and can swing my nephews all over the place. He is basically a portable jungle gym.

3 Nicole (Picky Nicky) November 26, 2010

Mmm, I love anything with peanut butter! As a matter of fact, I had a peanut butter, mustard and sweet potato wrap for dinner – Delicious combo, by the way!
I’ve heard that to make peanut butter cookies crunchier, you should add more “Egg” and flour.
Have a great weekend,
Nicky :) :)

4 Stacie November 26, 2010

Now that’s my kind of cookie! Have fun and travel safe :)

5 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day November 26, 2010

So cute. I want an Auntie Angie to make me treats. :)

6 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 26, 2010

Angela these look amazing!!!!

Your nephews are beyond lucky!! YUM!!!!

When I was a kid no one gave me PB cookies…they gave me boring sweaters and mittens. I would have much preferred cookies!

Have a safe, wonderful trip!!!

7 Ashley November 26, 2010

These would totally win me over!! I love how thick they look and soft PB cookies sound good to me!! :) Safe travels and have fun w/the family. <3

8 Bronwyn Coyne November 26, 2010

And yet one more recipe to add to my growing list of recipes to try…

9 Ashley November 26, 2010

Those look delicious. Peanut Butter is my favorite. I’m sure you will definitely climb back to cool Aunt status with these.

10 Wei-Wei November 26, 2010

I like soft cookies better! Maybe add more flour and less baking soda/peanut butter to yield a crispier cookie?

11 Lynna November 26, 2010

I love all the cookie recipes you’re posting. Christmas baking will have to start soon!

As for your questions about cookie texture, I think adding liquid (almond milk) to the batter is what made them soft. I attempted to make a healthier oatmeal cookie one time and added some almond milk to the batter; they turned out pretty soft and not really ‘cookie-like’ in texture. I also realized that most traditional cookie recipes don’t have a liquid, so I think that could be the reason.

12 The Yoga Girl November 26, 2010

These cookies look amazing! Can’t wait to try them.

From my memory, brown sugar (or sucanat for a slightly healthier version) should yield a crunchier cookie. I was actually looking for the ingredient in your recipe as I thought that was a common ingredient with PB cookies!

Hope this helps & let us know how any modifications turn out! Safe Travels!

13 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen November 26, 2010

Ohh – these will definitely restore cool aunt status. PRONTO. they look awesome!

14 Jaclyn T November 26, 2010

YUmmmmmmY!

Have you heard of the breakfast cereal “Holy Crap?” It’s a majah phenomenon since the business was shown on the CBC show “Dragon’s Den.” I looked into buying some (6-8 week wait right now), and realized I could totally make my own! Maybe this would be a fun breakfast item for you to try to make (humble idea). ALSO, have you thought of taking Glo Bakery to “Dragon’s Den?”

15 Leah @ Why Deprive? November 26, 2010

lol I LOVE that Uncle Eric is cool by association! :)

Those cookies look fantastic. Next to oatmeal, peanut butter has always been my favorite type of cookie.

16 Kaleigh November 26, 2010

I was just wondering what type of peanut butter you used? I know this might sound silly, but there are soo many different types/brands to choose from. I assume it was an all-natural (i.e. just peanuts) kind? (and not the “Extra” Creamy Kraft Peanut butter….)

I just ask, because every time i try and make peanut butter cookies, they always turn out a little wrong (ok, a lot wrong).

Thanks!

17 Julie November 27, 2010

Hi kaleigh, I would assume an all natural peanut butter. I have a costco brand (kirkland) but theres plenty of other brands out there w peanuts as the only ingredient.
Hope I helped!

18 Faith @ lovelyascharged November 27, 2010

Maranatha makes a wonderful natural creamy peanut butter, as does Publix’s house brand!

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2010

it was all natural smooth (and very oily as it was brand new)

20 Georgie @ Georgie Goes Healthy November 26, 2010

YUM. Peanut Butter is definitely one of my very biggest weaknesses. I just love it. These cookies look soo good!

21 Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 26, 2010

Peanut butter cookies ohh my goodness. I’m kind of wishing there were some in the oven right now..

22 Gina November 26, 2010

Oh my goodness, you’ve done it again.
I’m drooling all over my keyboard…
I wish I got these as a gift from my aunt!

23 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) November 27, 2010

Yum! Your nephews are lucky to have you bake for them. I also love that Eric is cool by association haha.

24 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat November 27, 2010

You’d definitely would be a cool aunt in my book! Love the recipe–simple and just my style!

25 Amanda November 27, 2010

Mmmmmmm cookies…..

26 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) November 27, 2010

The ribbon looks so pretty around the cookies :-)

27 Chelsea November 27, 2010

Have fun with the kiddos! Nieces and nephews are definately the best! and make sure to pack warm clothes, its supposed to get cold this week!!!!

28 kt November 27, 2010

Your pictures are always so gorgeous. I also love how you dress up your goodies for photos!

29 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 27, 2010

Those look so yummy! And since I’m definitely a soft-cookie girl, they would be perfect for me! :D

30 Monday Baker November 27, 2010

Delicious recipes and beautiful photos! Love your blog :)

31 grocery goddess jen November 27, 2010

Mmm, those look good, but I have no idea how to get them crunchy :)

32 Lisa November 27, 2010

My favorite peanut butter cookie recipe. I’ve been using that recipe for a while now and nothing beats it! Have a wonderful trip!

33 Liana @ femme fraiche November 27, 2010

There is NO better present to receive as a child than something with peanut butter in it! (that, or a Barbie mansion…) We have an aunt just like you, and we still beg her to make her famous TS (Teta Sylvia) soup:) (Teta is aunt in Lithuanian)

34 Lindsey November 27, 2010

I know exactly how you feel! My niece and family are in Winnipeg so it’s not really close enough to just pop by and phone calls now that she is learning to talk almost always make me laugh/cry. Have fun in Alberta! Maybe you could make a pit stop in Edmonton to drop off some extra cookies : )

35 Meagan November 27, 2010

Do you use all natural peanut butter (as in ingredients = peanuts) or peanut butter with salt and sugar added? Also, do you think these could be frozen and thawed and still be ok?

36 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 27, 2010

Haha your nephews sound so cute! I’m sure these will definitely give you cool aunt status. ;)

37 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 27, 2010

Love peanut butter cookies so much. They are my favorite cookie!

38 Amber K November 27, 2010

There are people that actually like crunchy cookies? Not me! ;)

Aw, phone calls with my nieces and nephews are pretty much like that! Random questions, barely enough time to answer them, and then a “bye!” that comes out of nowhere.

39 Alaina November 27, 2010

Yum, I love peanut butter cookies! My mom makes the best peanut butter oatmeal cookies. :-P

40 Shanna, like Banana November 27, 2010

Mmm, maple in them? Yes!

Enjoy! I don’t get to see my niece and nephew frequently either and it breaks my heart!

41 Violet Toop November 27, 2010

I use lots of natural nut butters, and tahinni. When I open a new jar, I transfer it all into a food processor and process until it is smooth and creamy. Then I spoon it back into the jar and keep it in the fridge. I used to try stirring it, but the oil always slopped over the side of the jar. And I always hated how the stuff at the bottom stayed dry. No more!

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2010

cool idea!

43 Meagan November 27, 2010

Forgot to mention that I would love a healthy recipe for peanut butter fudge and a peanut butter roll – my two favorite desserts ever!

P.S. I love your blog and really appreciate all the hard work you put into it!

44 Diana November 27, 2010

Nice work Ange! Your cookies look awesome! You’re totally the cool Aunt! :)

45 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious November 27, 2010

fabulous recipe! have fun with your fam.

46 Faith @ lovelyascharged November 27, 2010

Oh yum! I always used to love PB cookies because I would get to mash the top in with a fork for the criss-cross bit! It was the only part of the baking process my mom would let me help with, hehe. Awesome spin!

I just bought some spelt flour…I saw it on sale and I remembered that you always use it in your baking. Why is it your go-to flour? Is it just for the protein, or does it have a better texture than whole wheat?

47 Healthy Chocoholic November 27, 2010

Peanut butter cookies are my dad’s favorite! I’ll have to make these for him! Thanks for the recipe!!!!

48 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 27, 2010

Looks great! I am looking to make cookies tonight so I may make these! :)

49 Tiffany November 27, 2010

These look great, I have been looking for a soft P.B cookie recipe. And one that uses maple syrup. Thanks! YUM!! :)

50 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life November 27, 2010

Aren’t nephews the best?! I have 3 and they are constantly cracking me up. However, whenever they see me their first question is “Where is Stella?” (my dog) followed by “Where is Katie?’ (my firefighter fiance). I try not to take it personally. :)

51 Ashley @ the fit academic November 27, 2010

Ugh! 4am? No fun at all! Hope you have a good day tomorrow!

52 Cara Craves... November 27, 2010

Definitely my fav. kind of cookie!
Especially when it is soft and chewy.

53 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle November 27, 2010

hahhaa thats so funny about Eric :-) Those cookies look amazing!!!!

54 Heather Eats Almond Butter November 27, 2010

Is it sad that I’m totally jealous of your nephews right now?

Hope you have a good visit with them Angela and please enjoy a PB cookie…or two for me. :)

55 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 27, 2010

I love soft chewy peanut butter cookies!! Will you be my aunt?

56 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 27, 2010

I love pb cookies! I wonder if mixing chopped peanuts into the batter would up the crunch factor… either way, I’m sure they’re delicious just as they are. Have a lovely time with your fam (and please don’t bring any Alberta weather back with you!! ;)

57 Ana November 27, 2010

Cute! Living away from family is not easy. I know this too much, as my family lives all in Brazil and I only get to see them once a year… not easy.
Love the cookies, look so good, I might try them as my son loves pb too!
Ana

58 Jaya November 27, 2010

I have made this recipe from 101 cookbooks and I have only ever had great results. Your look gorgeous! Any chance you are going to be in Calgary? I would LOVE to take you out for a coffee if you are. Calgary has an unbelievable third wave coffee scene. Since I know this is a current love of yours, I can recommend tons of places (in Edmonton too, if that’s where you happen to be) that you might love to eat/drink/be merry. Either way, safe travels and have a great time!

59 JG November 27, 2010

What are your favorite cookies to make ahead of time and freeze? I have in-laws coming for Christmas, all of whom eat very differently than we do. I work full time and have 2 kids, but I want to make several different kinds of health(ier) holiday cookies. Thinking I can tackle it by doing a recipe at a time….ahead of time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2010

My wedded bliss soft ginger cookies :) yum!

61 Laura @ Starloz November 28, 2010

have fun with the kids

62 Melissa @ I Never Imagined November 28, 2010

Aww :( I know exactly how you feel. My niece and nephew live back in Australia and I miss them so much. I hope you’re enjoying your time with your nephews!

63 Potato Chops and Boneless Chicken November 28, 2010

I love this recipe by 101 Cookbooks. My husband’s diet calls for no sugar and refined flours so this recipe is perfect. It’s our (almost) daily tea time treat until we run out and need to bake another batch. I live away from my nephew as well as my sister lives in Seattle and I can’t wait until he is old enough so I can start baking and feeding him. Right now he is just 7 months so can’t indulge him in too many solids yet.

64 Virginia @ YtotheUmmy November 28, 2010

Perfect! I’ve been looking for a yummy vegan peanut butter cookie recipe! And since my brothers don’t have my same eating habits I’ve made them non-veg pb cookies before and what makes them crunchy is FAT. ahaha. They have vegetable shortening, butter, and peanut butter. The shortening makes them crispy, the butter spreads them out and gives them a chewy center, while the peanut butter….probably does a little bit of both :) When the dough is greasy and leaves you hands shiny, that’s when you know you’ve got enough fat. Also, I don’t know if you did this already, but rolling the cookies in sugar before putting them in oven gives them a nice, crispy outside. One last thing to check is your baking soda to salt ratios/how much of it you’re using, but I doubt that has much to do with it. I hope you find this supa long post useful! :D

65 stephanie a. November 28, 2010

You have no idea how badly I needed this recipe today. I almost searched your blog just to find one like this.

66 Emily November 28, 2010

Hi Angie.

I’ve just started following your blog, and I am enthralled. Reading through your road to health series has made me examine my own habits and let go of some negative patterns. Thanks for sharing your journey.

As for the cookies, I made these last night. I used in chickpea flour and added some dark chocolate chunks. The dough tasted a bit “beany” and I was worried that it was going to be a failed attempt, but the finished product has been consumed without complaint. My boyfriend and his family are gluten intolerant, so I’m learning to adapt recipes. He is also a typical guy who hates veggies, beans, fruit… bring on the meat and potatoes. I’m becoming very sneaky at hiding healthful ingredients in yummy food. Your cookies (bean flour and all, shh!) passed the test.

Emily.

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2010

Thanks Emily!

I have never had success with chickpea flour myself. Maybe try using Bob’s red mill all purpose GF flour? Ive heard great things!

68 Alicia November 28, 2010

oooh! I love using spelt flour. These look so great! I love the cross hatch marks on pb cookies!

69 Halley (Blunder Construction) November 28, 2010

Your nephews go ‘nuts’ for Glo bars. I love it! I think you should have a testimonial from them on your bakery site. The PB cookies look great, how excited am I for the holiday cookie season!?!

70 Alicia November 28, 2010

YUMMMY!!! I linked to you on my new blog today :) I’m not vegan but I’ve made quite a few of your recipes, they are always great!

71 Anna November 28, 2010

Oh awesome, pb cookies are my absolute favourite but I haven’t tried a vegan recipe for them yet!

I have two questions, by the way, I know this isn’t really the place for them, but just in case you were thinking of doing another FAQ soonish?
So:
1. Spelt flour – what are the benefits? I bought some the other week when I saw it in the store, cause I know you use it quite a lot, but I’m really interested in know why you’re a fan =]
and:
2. I don’t suppose you’d think about doing another set of ‘day by day’ food blogging/exercise posts in the future? I know you did that a little in the past, but I’m trying to find my own balance between food and exercise, and I’d love to know what/how much you eat relative to the activity you do in a day. Any chance of it?

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2010

Spelt flour is very high in protein and digests very easy :)

73 Christmas Sweets November 29, 2010

Your recipe reminded me of my childhood cookie dunking days. Like wei-wei I love softer cookies too although my son now preferred them harder. I’ll follow your recipe for myself and see if wei-wei trick will work to make them harder. Thanks for sharing.

74 Foxy November 29, 2010

Thank you Angela!!! :)

75 Hayley November 30, 2010

As soon as I saw this recipe I knew I had to make it. Yummm!!! The only change I made was using 1 cup spelt and 1 cup whole wheat flour. The end result was awesome, they came out perfectly shaped and not too crumbly. Great flavour, although I do wish the maple syrup was more pronouced. I think I will use agave nectar syrup next time, so not to waste my precious maple syrup. :)

Thanks again, Angela. You and your recipes continue to amaze me. I have been following your blog since it’s inception and I can’t believe how far you’ve come culinarily (is that a word?). :)

76 May Cookie Co. December 1, 2010

Forget being a kid-favorite, these would easily win over all ages! The maple syrup is an interesting touch – wondering if there’s an ingredient that could be used as a substitute? Thanks, Angela!

77 May Cookie Co. December 1, 2010

78 Mastering Public Health (@MasPublicHealth) December 4, 2010

I made these tonight with the addition of 1/4 cup chocolate chips. :) Got 30 out of ’em! (only 62kcal/each according to online calculators). Just to help others, I found that 9 minutes was enough or they started to burn; but that could be because I preheated for quite a while. I also found it fun to keep some as raw cookie dough balls and eat ’em that way. Thanks for the recipe.

79 Meghan December 13, 2012

These are amazing!!! I substituted home ground almond flour and they turned out great:) even a hit with my bf’s friends that came over to watch football!

80 Kristi January 16, 2013

I love this recipe. They are my official tea cookie….I have my tea and a cookie after dinner. Thank you!

81 Diego June 23, 2013

Hello Angela! These cookies look amazing like the rest of your recipes, but I’m having trouble looking for two ingredients. I have been told I can substitute whole wheat pastry flour for half white flour+half whole wheat? I haven’t seen spelt here neither :( and pure maple syrup here is rare and ultra expensive :( How much sucanat should I add to substitute?

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2013

Hi Diego, I’m sorry you are having trouble! I haven’t tried the recipe any other way, so I’m not sure. Generally you can swap liquid sweeteners for other liquid sweeteners (such as sub maple syrup for agave), but swapping a dry sweetener for a wet can have undesirable (or I should say, unpredictable) results. Let me know how it goes & good luck!

83 Emily September 7, 2013

Just made these and they are DELICIOUS!
I used 1/4 cup coconut flour combined with 1 3/4 cups of all purpose gluten free flour and it worked well! They baked to be quite hard as well so I am assuming that was the coconut flour?… Whatever it was they are amazing!
Thank you for the recipe – I can’t wait to try more of your creations :)

84 Laurie September 10, 2013

I made these Sunday night shortly after I whirred up some homemade peanut butter. It was my first ever clean/vegan recipe. I’m hooked. I made a half batch. Took most of them to work. They were a hit (except for one person). My boyfriend who is picky loved them. Now, I’m out, so I need to make more.

85 K September 11, 2013

This recipe was awesome! I love that it uses all ingredients I had on hand. I used this recipe to make mini Oreo burgers. Not so nutritious, but oh-so delicious!

86 Hanna-marie December 2, 2013

I made these for my brother and he loved them!!! He asks me at least once a week to make them :D

87 Carlee Christy February 11, 2014

Is it possible to substitue the pure maple syrup for agave nectar?

88 Shreya May 8, 2014

when do we add almond milk Angela? Love your recipes.

89 Hannah December 10, 2014

Best. Peanut butter. Cookies. Ever. I added dark chocolate chips, they’re dreamy delicious. I’m so thankful for your blog!

90 Cecilia April 5, 2015

This sounds easy and delicious, my kind of baking!

Can I replace Peanut butter with Raw Almond Butter?

Thanks
Cecilia

91 Kristel July 11, 2015

Can I use chunky peanut butter?

92 Gloria August 10, 2015

Thank you of the recipe. It was good, but very very dry. I even added the oil in addition to the oily natural put butter, it still came out crumbly and dry. The flavor is not too sweet, which is good if you don’t like sweet things. I have a sweet tooth, so next time i make these I will add stevia or maple syrup to the batch. These are very hearty and heathy, and fill you up quite fast. I appreciate that, even in a “junk food”!!

Gloria