Perfect Chocolate Coffee Scones

20101125-IMG_3373

Happy Thanksgiving if you are celebrating this weekend!

Last night I finally finished the draft of my Challenge #8 post. I had no idea it was going to take this long! I am just happy to have the draft done and all the photography shot. All I have to do is write up the recipes (the worst part!) and I can’t wait to show you guys the post on Sunday.

I have an incredibly delicious recipe to share with you today. It celebrates my love for French Press coffee and dark chocolate.

Is there a better combo? I think not.

Brew your coffee and gather up the wet ingredients…

20101125-IMG_3299

and the dry…

20101125-IMG_3309

Mix.

20101125-IMG_3313

Scoop 1/3 cup batter per scone if you’d like big scones (and who doesn’t?)

20101125-IMG_3317

After this picture, I flattened down the scones a bit with my fingers, but I wouldn’t recommend this as I think they spread out a bit too much. I would leave them in a big hunk next time.

Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375F.

20101125-IMG_3349

The result is a delicious and easy on the eyes chocolate coffee scone with big chunks of melted chocolate throughout.

20101125-IMG_3365

Irresistible…with French Press Coffee.

20101125-IMG_3373

Well, only 2 days til I am flying out West to visit my family for an early Christmas get together! We were originally planning on going in December, but the flights cost over $400 more to fly in December as compared to the end of November. Such a huge difference for only a couple weeks!

Are you traveling anywhere for the holidays over the next month?

1 LiseAnne March 28, 2013

Hello, I just baked those. They look and taste amazing, soft inside, beautifully golden outside and with the right amount of sweetness.. I have been trying 3 recipes so far from your website, but I guess I will try many more. Thank you, you do an amazing job!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2013

Thank you LiseAnne! I am so glad you enjoyed it.

3 kate September 8, 2012

i just made these. light, sweet, and absolutely delicious!!!

4 Dee November 27, 2010

Oh my gosh! These look amazing!

5 Ashley @ the fit academic November 26, 2010

Wow – who knew what a difference a couple of weeks would make in terms of flight prices! That will be fun though – early Christmas just helps elongate the holiday cheer/spirit. Have fun!

6 Alicia November 26, 2010

Drool! These look so good — I love coffee and chocolate together!

7 Fanta November 26, 2010

Todays Mantra: “I will not eat the computer screen, I will not eat the computer screen.” he he

8 Charlie November 26, 2010

Coffee & dark chocolate is such a great combo! At first, I thought they were raisin cookies :P.

9 Amber K November 26, 2010

I hate coffee, but I have to share this recipe as I know a few people who would LOVE it!!

I’m lucky in that almost all of my family (and my husband’s) live in the same state as us. So traveling a bit by car, but nothing too terrible.

10 Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 26, 2010

I just made scones the other day..I was going to add chocolate chips but we were out. :/ Oh well, these look perfect! Once we restock, I’ll be giving these a try :)

11 Annie@stronghealthyfit November 26, 2010

mm I love scones!

12 Emma November 26, 2010

Look scrumptious!
Angela, I know how you love lurkers coming out of hiding, and I must say that first I adore your site!
Though i’ve come out of hiding to ask your opinion on something.
I’m a UK college student caught in an almost identical situation that you were at one point too- I have a bit of a disordered eating, and scared of putting back on pounds which I gained through unhealthy stress eating, I run five times a week and try to eat ‘clean’, but I just can’t shake the feeling of guilt when I miss a workout or slip up.
At the moment, the UK is covered in snow and its too dangerous to get out and run, and there is no gym anywhere near me! I’ve loads of assingment deadlines and absolutely, genuinely no time to get out and find a gym, but I feel itching for some exercise.
I was just wondering what you’d do in my situation? Would you ever take a week or so off until the ice thaws, or would you try to get in a few workouts?

Thanks,
Emma xx

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2010

Thanks for your nice comments about my blog :)

As for exercising, I would not exercise if the conditions are poor outside. I would probably be most likely to buy a good workout DVD if I was in that situation. They can be really great workouts!

14 Emma November 26, 2010

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the advice, that’s actually a really good idea.
Plus, now i’ve come out of hiding and realized how easy it is to comment, you’ll be hearing a lot more from me in the future!

15 Emma November 26, 2010

16 Joyti November 26, 2010

Wow, those sound SO delicious! I love the flavors – I’m sure that coffee and chocolate are exquisite together.

17 Melissa @ I Never Imagined November 26, 2010

Mmmmmm!! They look delicious! And cappuccino sea salt? What will they think of next? (Something great as cappuccino sea salt, I hope! Hehe!)
Congrats on finishing your draft post!!

18 Emily November 25, 2010

Your blog was so helpful in my culinary adventure today! I made pumpkin oat bites (pretty much your pumpkin butter oat squares just made in mini cupcake tins), sugar cookies (your snickerdoodles minus the cinnamon), candied mixed nuts (my mom loved the balsamic vinegar addition), and gravy from your luxury party post. I also made stuffing, green bean casserole, corn spoon bread, mashed pumpkin, and apple crisp… Yes I am still full 6 hours later.

19 Alaina November 25, 2010

I love finding new scone recipes!! I can’t wait to make it. :-) Hope you have a good trip!

20 Emily November 25, 2010

The scones look sooo delicious! I like the idea of an early Christmas get-together! My first Christmas party of the season is next weekend! Crazy :) No traveling for me this time of year which I really enjoy :)

21 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen November 25, 2010

Ohh my gosh – they look so amazing!

22 Wei-Wei November 25, 2010

Mmmm, coffee! These look amazing! I think with a bit of cocoa-flavoured banana soft serve it would be nice and mocha-y. :]

23 anonymous November 25, 2010

Looks so yummy! Just wondering:is your hair that blonde shade naturally? It’s gorgeous! :D

24 Casey Thomas November 25, 2010

These sound incredible! I don’t like coffee flavoured anything but the cappuccino salt sounds very cool!

25 Cara Craves... November 25, 2010

No travel plans in the next month, but I am going to the
Philippines for a month in January. I am craving the
warmth of the hot sand and warm ocean water.

26 Camille November 25, 2010

I don’t see how anything that combines chocolate and coffee could possibly be less than amazing!

27 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 25, 2010

I bet these would taste just like a mochaccino!

28 Roz November 25, 2010

Cappucino sea salt??? I’m marching over to Whole Foods soon! Hopefully they have it here.
(great photos as always!)

29 grocery goddess jen November 25, 2010

Clearly I am way out of the loop…I had no idea there were flavored salts like that! I’m too tired to cook, please bring me a scone :)

30 Emmanuelle November 25, 2010

I want a scone. Now.

31 Healthy Chocoholic November 25, 2010

Chocolate and coffee???? I’m so making these!

32 Nicole (Picky Nicky) November 25, 2010

I love coffee and chocolate and I’ve never had a scone. Enough said…. These will be baked this weekend :D :D

33 Sarah November 25, 2010

Angela- these sound delicious! I now know what I’ll be doing this Saturday morning… I’l think I’ll try to make a coffee glaze instead of putting coffee extract in them.

34 Meredith November 25, 2010

YUM. I need to get some fancy salt. My regular salt seems so lame now.

Are you going home without Eric? Is that typically how you split the holidays? My fiance and I are still trying to figure out how we’ll spend our time… it’s tough!

35 Shari November 25, 2010

These look delicious! Can’t wait to try them.. but first I must wait until my oven is fixed :( Where did you find the cappuccino sea salt?

36 stacey-healthylife November 25, 2010

Cappuccino sea salt, that sounds interesting.

37 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 25, 2010

Great scones! And Cappuccino Sea Salt?! Oh wow…delish!

It seems you are fully embracing the new coffee discovery…drinking it and baking with it. Way to get on the bandwagon.

Have fun on your trip! And yes, we are going away for almost a month….to Aruba! We go every year and our trip is coming up soon. Very soon!!!!!!

And I know what you mean about airfare. Every year I play with our dates by a week on the departure and a week on the return. Depending on that magical combination, I can save TONS of money. Like $500 a seat or more. And we buy 3 seats so it’s huge. Very important to stay flexible on the days for us.

Enjoy your trip!

38 Danielle November 25, 2010

Oooh! Yet another delectable recipe to be thankful for, especially because it combines my favoritest flavors. Thanks so much Ange! Have a happy last Thursday in November :)

39 Liz @ IHeartVegetables November 25, 2010

Sadly, I’ve never made scones! These look delicious though. I LOVE dark chocolate, and it’s cool that these are made with whole wheat flour! Yum!

40 traci November 25, 2010

Mmmm looks delish :) Nothing better then chocolate and coffee.

41 Coco November 25, 2010

This looks so darn good. I’ve never seen whole wheat pastry flour (maybe i’m not looking hard enough). I love anything desserty, so these would be heaven for me. P.S the photography is awesome!!!

42 Lizzie November 25, 2010

My American boy had this awesome idea to go home (to my home) for Christmas – but then we looked into it and it was (gulp) $6K for us to go! So, sadly no Christmas with my fam again! :( So we’ll just be driving an hour to see my in laws.
I don’t like coffee, but those scones look really good and I bet they would be a huge energy boost!

43 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA November 25, 2010

Wow, those look incredible. I love putting coffee in recipes.

I’ll be traveling to Indiana and Kansas over the second half of December. I’m not so sure I’m ready to freeze my butt off…

44 Savvy November 25, 2010

I’m all over that salt! Looks amazing <3 I must remember to pick some up the next time I feel like spending all of my savings at WF ;)
I say good call on going a little early – $400 goes a long way! Think of all the salt you could buy :}

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2010

mmmm sea salt

46 Stefanie November 25, 2010

Wow, those look great. I bet they were good right out of the oven. My traveling is only to my parents house this holiday season. It is a short 2 hour drive.

47 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 25, 2010

yummmmm these sound delicious! i had no idea you could get cappuccino sea salt – clearly WF would be the place to look! i love chocolate flavoured coffee, but chocolate coffee scones would make an amazing pair! :)

48 Lauren November 25, 2010

Hi Angela,

I sent a pretty urgent email to you about my friend with cancer. Would you be able to get back to me as soon as possible? Sorry…I know you are super busy :/

Thanks so much!

Lauren

49 Tiffany November 25, 2010

That looks so amazing! I love coffee, so I know I would love these. Going to search for that cappuccino sea salt…

50 Bronwyn Coyne November 25, 2010

I think I know what I”m making later (to be eaten for breakfast tomorrow!). Yumyum. :)

I can just feel sugar and chocolate oozing into me reading your blog.

I’ll be traveling back to my parent’s place for the Holidays in good ol’ Kamloops.

51 Bronwyn Coyne November 25, 2010

Oh, and whistler for skiing. that counts right?

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2010

hellllll yea!

53 Heather November 25, 2010

Wow! Where can I find cappuccino sea salt! Sooo tasty!

54 Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside November 25, 2010

Oh Lord! My two favorite things in ONE recipe. I can’t wait to try! I’m merely traveling across Los Angeles for Thanksgiving today (with a take on your sweet potato casserole in tow, I might add). But I’m really excited to go home to South Carolina for Christmas! In the spirit of the holiday: I’m thankful for your blog, Angela :)

55 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) November 25, 2010

Those look DELICIOUS! Anything with dark chocolate is heaven for me! :D
No I’m not going anywhere these holidays, but my American family who live in New York are coming over to spend Christmas with us :)

56 Bethany @ More Fruit Please November 25, 2010

Wow, you sold me by having coffee and scones together in the title. These look amazing and I feel like I’m missing out by not having cappuccino sea salt in my life!

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2010